Genomes and Genes
Summary: Surgical incision into the chest wall.
Publications284 found, 100 shown here
- Lobectomy by video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) versus thoracotomy for lung cancerRaja M Flores
Department of Surgery, Thoracic Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:11-8. 2009..thoracic surgery (VATS) hypothesize that less trauma leads to quicker recovery, whereas those who advocate thoracotomy claim it as an oncologically superior procedure...
- Spontaneous rupture of the oesophagus: Boerhaave's syndrome in 2008. Literature review and treatment algorithmJ P de Schipper
Department of Surgery, St Elisabeth Hospital, Hilvarenbeekseweg 60, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 26:1-6. 2009..Therefore, we reviewed all published literature in order to design a treatment algorithm based on the literature...
- Emotional numbing and pain intensity predict the development of pain disability up to one year after lateral thoracotomyJoel Katz
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Eur J Pain 13:870-8. 2009..that predict the transition of acute, time limited pain to chronic pathological pain following postero-lateral thoracotomy. The aim of the present prospective, longitudinal study was to determine the extent to which (1) pre-operative ..
- Surgery for early-stage non-small cell lung cancer: a systematic review of the video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery versus thoracotomy approaches to lobectomyBryan A Whitson
Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic and Foregut Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 86:2008-16; discussion 2016-8. 2008..thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) for lobectomy has been touted to provide superior outcomes, compared with thoracotomy, for patients with early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Use of bilateral internal thoracic arteries in CABG through lateral thoracotomy with robotic assistance in 150 patientsSudhir Srivastava
Cardiac Surgical Associates, Odessa, Texas, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 81:800-6; discussion 806. 2006..Off-pump coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG) through small lateral thoracotomy has been reported...
- Quality of life following lung cancer resection: video-assisted thoracic surgery vs thoracotomyWilson W L Li
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
Chest 122:584-9. 2002..This study was designed to evaluate the intermediate to long-term QOL in patients with lung cancer following resection, comparing VATS with thoracotomy.
- Does temporary chest wall closure with or without chest packing improve survival for trauma patients in shock after emergent thoracotomy?Jennifer L Lang
Division of Burns Trauma Critical Care, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9158, USA
J Trauma 70:705-9. 2011..Many surgeons avoid the damage-control techniques of intrathoracic packing and temporary chest wall closure after thoracotomy for trauma because of concerns about packing's effects on intrathoracic pressure and infectious risks...
- Thoracoscopic lobectomy facilitates the delivery of chemotherapy after resection for lung cancerRebecca P Petersen
Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 83:1245-9; discussion 1250. 2007We conducted a study of patients who underwent anatomic resection with adjuvant chemotherapy to determine if thoracoscopic lobectomy enables more effective administration of adjuvant chemotherapy than lobectomy by thoracotomy.
- Chronic post-thoracotomy pain: a critical review of pathogenic mechanisms and strategies for preventionKim Wildgaard
Section for Surgical Pathophysiology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 36:170-80. 2009..This review attempts to analyse the methodology and systematics of the studies on the post-thoracotomy pain syndrome (PTPS) after lung cancer surgery in adults, in order to clarify the relative role of possible ..
- Assessment of chronic pain after thoracotomy: a 1-year prevalence studyNicolas Mongardon
Department of Anesthesiology, Hopital Foch, Suresnes, France
Clin J Pain 27:677-81. 2011The primary goal of this study was to investigate the incidence of chronic pain 1 year after a thoracotomy. Secondary goals were to determine which interventions and patient characteristics were associated with reports of chronic pain, ..
- Outcomes after emergency department thoracotomy for penetrating cardiac injuries: a new perspectiveEzequiel J Molina
Department of Surgery, Temple University Hospital, Suite 400, Parkinson Pavilion, 3401 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:845-8. 2008..penetrating cardiac injuries as the anatomic injury with the greatest opportunity for emergency department thoracotomy (EDT) survival. We hypothesize that actual survival rates are lower than that initially reported...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy: experience with 1,100 casesRobert J McKenna
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 81:421-5; discussion 425-6. 2006..This series is reviewed to assess these issues...
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery is more favorable than thoracotomy for resection of clinical stage I non-small cell lung cancerBryan A Whitson
Department of Surgery, Section of Thoracic and Foregut Surgery, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 83:1965-70. 2007Lobectomy for patients with clinical stage I non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) can be performed by thoracotomy or by video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS)...
- Pulmonary function, postoperative pain, and serum cytokine level after lobectomy: a comparison of VATS and conventional procedureI Nagahiro
Department of Surgery II, Okayama University Medical School, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 72:362-5. 2001Although lobectomy by the video-assisted thoracic surgical (VATS) approach is assumed to be less invasive than lobectomy by the standard posterolateral thoracotomy (PLT) approach, it has not been scientifically proven.
- The effect of standard posterolateral versus muscle-sparing thoracotomy on multiple parametersYigit Akcali
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Kayseri, Turkey
Ann Thorac Surg 76:1050-4. 2003Different alternative approaches to thoracotomy have been developed because of the considerable morbidity associated with the standard posterolateral incision.
- Intercostal muscle flap for decreasing pain after thoracotomy: a prospective randomized trialAmr Mohammad Allama
Cardiothoracic Surgery Department, Faculty of Medicine, Menoufia University, Menoufia, Egypt
Ann Thorac Surg 89:195-9. 2010Intercostal nerve damage is often suggested to be the cause of pain after thoracotomy.
- A prospective, single-blind randomised study on the effect of intercostal nerve protection on early post-thoracotomy pain reliefNan Wu
Key Laboratory of Carcinogenesis and Translational Research Ministry of Education, Department of Thoracic Surgery II, Peking University School of Oncology, Beijing Cancer Hospital and Institute, No 52, Fucheng Avenue, Haidian District, Beijing 100142, PR China
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 37:840-5. 2010Intracostal suture or intercostal muscle flap can reduce post-thoracotomy pain through the preservation of intercostal nerves below or above the incision...
- Preliminary findings in the neurophysiological assessment of intercostal nerve injury during thoracotomyM L Rogers
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Nottingham City Hospital, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 21:298-301. 2002Previous work has suggested that intercostal nerve injury is a major factor in the aetiology of chronic post-thoracotomy pain. The aim of this study was to establish if there was identifiable intercostal nerve injury during thoracotomy.
- Post-thoracotomy pain after thoracic epidural analgesia: a prospective follow-up studyE Tiippana
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 47:433-8. 2003Pain becomes chronic in 22-67% of patients who undergo a thoracotomy. Thoracic epidural analgesia (TEA) has replaced less invasive methods to manage postoperative pain...
- Long term survival of thoracoscopic metastasectomy vs metastasectomy by thoracotomy in patients with a solitary pulmonary lesionE L A R Mutsaerts
Department of Surgery, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek ziekenhuis, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Surg Oncol 28:864-8. 2002The aim of this study was to compare long term survival after resection of solitary pulmonary metastasis on CT scan performed by either thoracoscopy or through a standard thoracotomy.
- Lymph node evaluation in video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy versus lobectomy by thoracotomyChadrick E Denlinger
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 89:1730-5; discussion 1736. 2010With the emergence of video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) lobectomy, concern remains regarding the adequacy of nodal assessment versus thoracotomy.
- Intracostal sutures decrease the pain of thoracotomyRobert J Cerfolio
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 76:407-11; discussion 411-2. 2003General thoracic surgeons spend much time dealing and treating patients' pain after thoracotomy.
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy in children: safety and efficacy compared with the conventional thoracotomy approachYong Won Seong
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Innovations (Phila) 7:394-8. 2012..This study was performed to evaluate the safety and the efficacy of the VATS lobectomy compared with the conventional lobectomy by thoracotomy and to investigate the risk factors of thoracotomy conversion.
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery versus open thoracotomy for non-small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis of propensity score-matched patientsChristopher Cao
Collaborative Research CORE Group, Sydney, Australia
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 16:244-9. 2013This meta-analysis aimed to compare the perioperative outcomes of video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) with open thoracotomy for propensity score-matched patients with early-stage non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
- Women suffer more short and long-term pain than men after major thoracotomyEdward A Ochroch
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pennsylvania Health System, USA
Clin J Pain 22:491-8. 2006..We set out to determine whether sex affected pain and recovery after major surgery by analyzing data originally collected to determine the effect of the timing of epidural analgesia on long-term outcome after thoracotomy.
- Impact of timing and surgical approach on outcomes after mitral valve regurgitation operationsLouis Mathieu Stevens
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Montreal University Hospital Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 93:1462-8. 2012..This study investigated whether the timing of mitral valve (MV) repair or surgical approach affects outcomes in patients with MV regurgitation...
- Chronic post-thoracotomy pain: a retrospective studyW A Pluijms
Pain and Nociception Research Group, Pain Centre, Department of Anaesthesiology, University Medical Center St Radboud, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:804-8. 2006Chronic pain is common after thoracotomy. The primary goal of this study was to investigate the incidence of chronic post-thoracotomy pain...
- HeartWare left ventricular assist device implantation through bilateral anterior thoracotomyAron Frederik Popov
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Transplantation, Harefield Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 93:674-6. 2012..We present our technique for HeartWare LVAD implantation through bilateral anterior thoracotomy incisions. This technique has proved to be safe and reproducible, with good clinical outcome.
- Management of lung metastases from colorectal cancer: video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery versus thoracotomy--a case-matched studyYin Kai Chao
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 60:398-404. 2012..This case-matched study aimed to compare long-term outcomes after surgical resection of pulmonary metastases from colorectal cancer using different approaches (VATS vs. thoracotomy).
- Is emergency department resuscitative thoracotomy futile care for the critically injured patient requiring prehospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation?Danny W Powell
Department of Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, and the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80204 4507, USA
J Am Coll Surg 199:211-5. 2004..Consequently, we questioned whether resuscitative thoracotomy is warranted in the critically injured patient who fails to respond to prehospital CPR.
- Evaluation of an early exercise intervention after thoracotomy for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), effects on quality of life, muscle strength and exercise tolerance: randomised controlled trialGill Arbane
School of Physiotherapy, Faculty of Health and Social Care Sciences, St George s and Kingston Universities, Cranmer Terrace, Tooting, London SW17 ORE, United Kingdom
Lung Cancer 71:229-34. 2011..Fifty-three (28 male) patients attending thoracotomy for lung cancer, mean age, range 64 (32-82) years; mean pack years (SD) 31.9 (26.8); BMI 25.6 (4.2); FEV1 2...
- A prospective study to determine the incidence of non-imaged malignant pulmonary nodules in patients who undergo metastasectomy by thoracotomy with lung palpationRobert J Cerfolio
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Alabama School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 91:1696-700; discussion 1700-1. 2011To prospectively assess the incidence of non-imaged malignant nodules in patients who undergo thoracotomy for metastasectomy with bimanual lung palpation.
- Preoperative gabapentin for acute post-thoracotomy analgesia: a randomized, double-blinded, active placebo-controlled studyMichelle A O Kinney
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Medicine Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Pain Pract 12:175-83. 2012..Patients undergoing thoracotomy benefit from epidural analgesia but still may experience significant postoperative pain...
- Pulmonary segmentectomy by thoracotomy or thoracoscopy: reduced hospital length of stay with a minimally-invasive approachB Zane Atkins
Department of Surgery, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 84:1107-12; discussion 1112-3. 2007..while thoracoscopic lobectomy has been increasingly applied with well-demonstrated advantages compared with thoracotomy, few data exist regarding thoracoscopic approaches to pulmonary segmentectomy...
- Chronic pain in adults after thoracotomy in childhood or youthA D Kristensen
Department of Anaesthesiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Norrebrogade 44, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Br J Anaesth 104:75-9. 2010Chronic pain is common after thoracotomy with reported prevalence rates of 20-60%. The pain may be caused by damage to the intercostal nerves during surgery...
- Left thoracotomy for aortic and mitral valve surgery in a case of mediastinal displacement due to pneumonectomyTheodoro Barreda
Departement de Chirurgie Cardiovasculaire, Institut de Cardiologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
J Heart Valve Dis 17:239-42. 2008..AVR was performed through a left anterior thoracotomy through the fourth intercostal space...
- Extended replacement of aortic arch aneurysms through left posterolateral thoracotomyKenji Okada
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 35:270-5. 2009To present our experience of total aortic arch replacement through a left posterolateral thoracotomy.
- Thoracoscopic lobectomy is associated with lower morbidity compared with thoracotomyNestor R Villamizar
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:419-25. 2009..The incidence of postoperative complications has not been thoroughly assessed. This study analyzes morbidity after lobectomy to compare the thoracoscopic approach and thoracotomy.
- Does right thoracotomy increase the risk of mitral valve reoperation?Lars G Svensson
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 134:677-82. 2007The study objective was to determine whether a right thoracotomy approach increases the risk of mitral valve reoperation.
- Minimally invasive port access surgery reduces operative morbidity for valve replacement in the elderlyE A Grossi
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, New York University Medical School, New York, NY 10016, USA
Heart Surg Forum 2:212-5. 1999....
- Emergency department thoracotomy for pericardiac tamponadeC K Lau
Department of Anaesthesia, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 169608
Singapore Med J 49:e382-4. 2008..Emergency department thoracotomy was performed to release the tamponade and he was operated on immediately to repair the laceration...
- Long-term pain and activity during recovery from major thoracotomy using thoracic epidural analgesiaE Andrew Ochroch
Department of Anesthesia, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, USA
Anesthesiology 97:1234-44. 2002Pain following thoracotomy can persist for years with an undetermined impact on quality of life. Factors hypothesized to modulate this painful experience include analgesic regimen, gender, and type of incision.
- What is the advantage of a thoracoscopic lobectomy over a limited thoracotomy procedure for lung cancer surgery?H Nomori
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Saiseikai Central Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 72:879-84. 2001To clarify any advantages of video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) over anterior limited thoracotomy (ALT) for lobectomy in lung cancer, we compared the two procedures in a retrospective analysis.
- Abbreviated thoracotomy and temporary chest closure: an application of damage control after thoracic traumaD J Vargo
Department of Surgery, University of California, Davis, Medical Center, 2315 Stockton Blvd, Room 4209, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Arch Surg 136:21-4. 2001HYPOTHESIS: Abbreviated thoracotomy, a damage-control strategy, improves survival in patients with metabolic exhaustion. DESIGN: Case series report. SETTING: University-based, level I trauma center...
- Acute pain management for patients undergoing thoracotomyRoy G Soto
Department of Anesthesiology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1349-57. 2003Management of thoracotomy pain can be difficult, but the benefits of effective pain control are significant...
- The morbidity, time course and predictive factors for persistent post-thoracotomy painY Gotoda
Department of Anesthesiology, Osaka Medical Center and Cardiovascular Diseases, Japan
Eur J Pain 5:89-96. 2001After thoracotomy, patients often suffer from a persistent pain syndrome called post-thoracotomy pain...
- A randomized comparison of different ventilator strategies during thoracotomy for pulmonary resectionAndrew D Maslow
Department of Anesthesiology, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 146:38-44. 2013..It is not known whether protective lung ventilation is also beneficial to patients undergoing single-lung ventilation for elective pulmonary resection...
- Pain relief after thoracotomyI McGovern
Br J Anaesth 98:844; author reply 844-5. 2007
- Effectiveness of gabapentin in the treatment of chronic post-thoracotomy painOkan Solak
Afyon Kocatepe University, School of Medicine, Department of Thoracic Surgery, Afyon, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 32:9-12. 2007Chronic post-thoracotomy pain (CPTP) consists of different types of pain. Some characteristics of CPTP are the same as those of recognized neuropathic pain syndromes.
- Audit of epidural analgesia in children undergoing thoracotomy for decortication of empyemaA Kotze
Department of Anaesthesia, Leeds General Infirmary, UK
Br J Anaesth 98:662-6. 2007..For many years, we have provided epidural analgesia to children undergoing thoracotomy for the decortication of parapneumonic empyemas...
- Thoracotomy is associated with significantly more profound suppression in lymphocytes and natural killer cells than video-assisted thoracic surgery following major lung resections for cancerCalvin S H Ng
Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
J Invest Surg 18:81-8. 2005..Video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) lung resection is a new alternative surgical approach to thoracotomy for patients with early lung cancer...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy (VATS), open thoracotomy, and the robot for lung cancerRaja M Flores
Thoracic Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:S710-5. 2008..Questions about the safety of VATS lobectomy and its adequacy as a cancer operation compared with open thoracotomy have hindered its universal acceptance among thoracic surgeons...
- Pain relief after thoracotomy: is epidural analgesia the optimal technique?A Ng
Br J Anaesth 98:159-62. 2007
- Evolution to video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy after training: initial results of the first 30 patientsThomas Ng
Department of Surgery, Brown Medical School, 2 Dudley Street, Providence, RI 02905, USA
J Am Coll Surg 203:551-7. 2006..Few thoracic training programs offer sufficient experience in this technically demanding procedure. This article describes the evolution of a new graduate's practice from open thoracotomy to VATS lobectomy.
- Systematic node dissection by VATS is not inferior to that through an open thoracotomy: a comparative clinicopathologic retrospective studyAtsushi Watanabe
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Surgery 138:510-7. 2005..The aim of this study was to elucidate the feasibility and safety of SND by VATS...
- Outcomes after lobectomy using thoracoscopy vs thoracotomy: a comparative effectiveness analysis utilizing the Nationwide Inpatient Sample databaseSubroto Paul
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital System, New York, NY 10065, USA
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 43:813-7. 2013..lobectomy has been demonstrated to be associated with fewer postoperative complications compared with open thoracotomy lobectomy in several large case series...
- Effects of preemptive epidural analgesia on post-thoracotomy painChoon Looi Bong
Department of Paediatric Anesthesia, KK Women and Childrens Hospital, Singapore
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 19:786-93. 2005The purpose of this study was to determine whether preemptive thoracic epidural analgesia (TEA) initiated before surgical incision would reduce the severity of acute post-thoracotomy pain and the incidence of chronic post-thoracotomy pain.
- Subpleural block is less effective than thoracic epidural analgesia for post-thoracotomy pain: a randomised controlled studyGhassan E Kanazi
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical Center, American University of Beirut, Hamra Street, Beirut, Lebanon
Eur J Anaesthesiol 29:186-91. 2012Thoracic epidural and paravertebral blocks provide adequate analgesia for postoperative thoracotomy pain. Both procedures are usually performed percutaneously with considerable failure rates...
- Thirteen survivors of prehospital thoracotomy for penetrating trauma: a prehospital physician-performed resuscitation procedure that can yield good resultsGareth E Davies
Department of Pre hospital Care, Royal London Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Trauma 70:E75-8. 2011..A case of survival after prehospital thoracotomy was published in 1994 and several others have followed...
- Randomized controlled trial of a special acupuncture technique for pain after thoracotomyGary Deng
Integrative Medicine Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:1464-9. 2008We sought to determine whether an acupuncture technique specially developed for a surgical oncology population (intervention) reduces pain or analgesic use after thoracotomy compared with a sham acupuncture technique (control).
- Perioperative course in 118 infants and children undergoing coarctation repair via a thoracotomy: a prospective, multicenter experienceSarah Tabbutt
Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, The Cardiac Center, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:1229-36. 2008....
- Symptom severity 1 to 4 months after thoracotomy for lung cancerLinda Sarna
School of Nursing at the University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6918, USA
Am J Crit Care 17:455-67; quiz 468. 2008..Information about the severity of symptoms during recovery from surgery for lung cancer can be useful in planning and anticipating needs for recovery...
- Redo lateral thoracotomy for reoperative descending and thoracoabdominal aortic repair: a consecutive series of 60 patientsChristian D Etz
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 88:758-66; discussion 767. 2009..Reoperative descending thoracic aorta (DTA) or thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm (TAAA) surgery is a challenge because of increased risk of lung injury and diffuse bleeding...
- Thoracic epidural analgesia in post-thoracotomy patients: comparison of three different concentrations of levobupivacaine and sufentanilC Mendola
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, SCDU Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 1, Maggiore della Carita Hospital, University of Eastern Piedmont A Avogadro, Corso Mazzini 18, 28100 Novara, Italy
Br J Anaesth 102:418-23. 2009....
- Scoliosis in patients with aortic coarctation and patent ductus arteriosus: does standard posterolateral thoracotomy play a role in the development of the lateral curve of the spine?Marek Roclawski
Department of Orthopaedics, Medical University of Gdansk, Nowe Ogrody 1 6, 80 803 Gdansk, Poland
Pediatr Cardiol 30:941-5. 2009The aim of this study was to determine the influence of lateral thoracotomy on the development of scoliosis in subjects undergoing repair of coarctation of the aorta (CoA) and patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) compares favorably with thoracotomy for the treatment of lung cancer: a five-year outcome comparisonXueying Yang
Department of Thoracic Surgery, The Northern Hospital, No 83, Wenhua Road, Shenhe District, 110016, Shenyang, Liaoning, People s Republic of China
World J Surg 33:1857-61. 2009..We have therefore reviewed our experience with all VATS lobectomies, attempting to define long- and short-term outcomes of these surgeries...
- Prospective pulmonary function comparison of anterior spinal fusion in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: thoracotomy versus thoracoabdominal approachYongjung J Kim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1055-60. 2008..Prospective clinical study of a retrospective database...
- Local and systemic impacts of pleural oxygen exposure in thoracotomyTakuma Tsukioka
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Abeno Ku, Osaka, Japan
Biofactors 30:117-28. 2007..However, no reports of pathophysiological investigation of the effects of pleural oxygen exposure involved in thoracotomy are available...
- Minimally invasive congenital cardiac surgery through right anterior minithoracotomy approachDavid Mishaly
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Ann Thorac Surg 85:831-5. 2008..Right anterior minithoracotomy was, therefore, assessed as an alternative procedure with a better cosmetic outcome...
- A comparison of epidural and paravertebral catheterisation techniques in post-thoracotomy pain managementGultekin Gulbahar
Ankara Numune Teaching and Research Hospital, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 37:467-72. 2010b>Thoracotomy is a surgical procedure associated with severe pain. Operative morbidity rates reduce by effective postoperative pain control...
- Pulmonary carcinosarcoma initially presenting as invasive aspergillosis: a case report of previously unreported combinationAriyo O Olobatoke
Department of Medicine, Sinai Grace Hospital Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Diagn Pathol 5:11. 2010..Tissue examination is the most reliable method for diagnosis, and mortality rate is high.We describe a case of primary carcinosarcoma of the lung concurrently occurring with invasive pulmonary aspergillosis in a 66-year old patient...
- Aortic root replacement through right anterolateral thoracotomyHideki Takahashi
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 2, Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 11:345-7. 2010..root replacement (modified Bentall procedure) plus mitral valve annuloplasty through the right anterolateral thoracotomy. Her postoperative course was uneventful...
- Quality of life after lung cancer surgery: video-assisted thoracic surgery versus thoracotomyTadashi Aoki
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 1 757 Asahimachi, Niigata 951 8510, Japan
Heart Lung Circ 16:285-9. 2007To assess the benefit of video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS), we compared time-related quality of life (QOL) after lobectomy performed by VATS to that performed by thoracotomy.
- Use of intracostal sutures reduces thoracotomy pain with possible risk of lung hernia: another measure for prevention of painLucas H A Sanders
Ann Thorac Surg 79:750; author reply 750. 2005
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery versus open thoracotomy for anterior thoracic spinal fusion. A comparative radiographic, biomechanical, and histologic analysis in a sheep modelB W Cunningham
Union Memorial Hospital Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Baltimore, MD, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1333-40. 1998In this in vivo investigation, a sheep model was used to compare the efficacy of a video-assisted thoracoscopic approach and a traditional thoracotomy in promoting a successful interbody spinal arthrodesis.
- Emergency thoracotomy in the pre-hospital setting: a procedure requiring clarificationThanos Athanasiou
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, St Mary s Hospital, 70 St Olafs Road, Fulham, London SW6 7DN, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:377-86. 2004The aim of this study is to investigate the influence of Emergency Thoracotomy (ET) on mortality in a group of patients suffering from severe thoracic trauma requiring Helicopter Emergency Medical Service (HEMS) transfer to hospital...
- Mitral valve surgery after previous CABG with functioning IMA graftsJ G Byrne
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 68:2243-7. 1999..Therefore, a reliable alternative to the redo sternotomy is desirable to minimize potential injury to internal mammary artery grafts...
- Transmediastinal approach to exploring the lung contralateral to the thoracotomy siteK Kodama
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, 1-3-3 Nakamichi, Higashinari-ku, Osaka 537-8511, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 49:267-72. 2001..SUBJECTS AND METHODS: To remove a tumor located in the contralateral lung, a transmediastinal approach from the thoracotomy site to the contralateral lung was used in 6 patients having oddly distributed bilateral lung tumors, 1 of ..
- Emergency thoracotomy--the indications, contraindications and evidenceB S Morgan
Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield
J R Army Med Corps 155:87-93. 2009Emergency thoracotomy is a dramatic and controversial intervention which may be life saving after major torso trauma. Success rates are variable and differ widely according to mechanism of injury...
- Autologous transplantation of bone marrow mononuclear stem cells by mini-thoracotomy in dilated cardiomyopathy: technique and early resultsRenato Abdala Karam Kalil
Instituto de Cardiologia do Rio Grande do Sul, Fundação Universitária de Cardiologia, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 126:75-81. 2008..This study describes a novel technique of BMMC transplantation and the results up to one year after the procedure...
- Intrathoracic transposition of a pectoralis major and pectoralis minor muscle flap for empyema in patients previously subjected to posterolateral thoracotomyH Nomori
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Saiseikai Central Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Surg Today 31:295-9. 2001..flap cannot be used to eliminate an empyema cavity in patients who have previously undergone posterolateral thoracotomy, because of the division of this muscle...
- Mini-thoracotomy or thoracoscopic treatment for medially located thoracic herniated disc?Ronald H M A Bartels
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Department of Neurosurgery, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E581-4. 2007..A retrospective cohort study...
- Comparison of recognition tools for postoperative pulmonary complications following thoracotomyP Agostini
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham, UK
Physiotherapy 97:278-83. 2011To evaluate the recognition of postoperative pulmonary complications (PPC) following thoracotomy and lung resection using three PPC scoring tools.
- Evaluation of video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery lobectomy requiring emergency conversion to thoracotomyShigeki Sawada
Department of Thoracic Surgery, National Hospital Organization Shikoku Cancer Center, Matsuyama, Ehime, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 36:487-90. 2009..Many investigators have reported that the outcomes of VATS lobectomy for lung cancer are comparable to those of thoracotomy; however, several controversial issues remain. One of the critical concerns is the safety...
- Etoricoxib--preemptive and postoperative analgesia (EPPA) in patients with laparotomy or thoracotomy--design and protocolsJohannes Fleckenstein
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Trials 11:66. 2010..of the Etoricoxib protocol- Preemptive and Postoperative Analgesia (EPPA) Trial, investigating whether preemptive analgesia with cox-2 inhibitors is more efficacious than placebo in patients who receive either laparotomy or thoracotomy.
- Mitral valve replacement through a minimal right vertical infra-axillary thoracotomy versus standard median sternotomyDongjin Wang
Department of Thoracic Surgery, The Affiliated Drum Tower Hospital of Nanjing University Medical School, Nanjing, Peoples Republic of China
Ann Thorac Surg 87:704-8. 2009..This retrospective study reviews our results and experience with a right vertical infraaxillary thoracotomy (RVIAT) technique for mitral valve replacement (MVR) compared with SMS.
- Mini-open thoracoscopically assisted thoracotomy versus video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for anterior release in thoracic scoliosis and kyphosis: a comparison of operative and radiographic resultsRafael Levin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, 301 East 17th Street, New York, NY 10003, USA
Spine J 5:632-8. 2005..Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) and mini-open thoracoscopically assisted thoracotomy (MOTA) are two minimally invasive approaches to the thoracic spine...
- Suprascapular nerve block for ipsilateral shoulder pain after thoracotomy with thoracic epidural analgesia: a double-blind comparison of 0.5% bupivacaine and 0.9% salineNgukhoon Tan
Department of Anaesthesia and The National Refractory Angina Centre, The Cardiothoracic Centre Liverpool NHS Trust, Liverpool, England
Anesth Analg 94:199-202, table of contents. 2002Despite receiving thoracic epidural analgesia, severe ipsilateral shoulder pain is common in patients after thoracotomy. We recruited 44 patients into a double-blinded randomized placebo-controlled study to investigate whether ..
- Posterior intrathoracic neurinoma cure: a transforaminal resection after a thoracotomyJean Ader Jules
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Caen, Cean, France
Ann Thorac Surg 79:1411-2. 2005..We report two cases to stress the importance of assessing the size of the intervertebral foramina in planning neurinoma cure...
- Control of post-thoracotomy pain by transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation: effect on serum cytokine levels, visual analogue scale, pulmonary function and medicationAlfonso Fiorelli
Thoracic Surgery Unit, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 41:861-8; discussion 868. 2012Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) has been used to control post-thoracotomy pain with contrasting results...
- Effects of flurbiprofen on CRP, TNF-α, IL-6, and postoperative pain of thoracotomyHidir Esme
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Konya Education and Research Hospital, Konya, Turkey
Int J Med Sci 8:216-21. 2011..study were to evaluate serum levels of acute phase reactants, such as CRP and cytokines (TNF-α and IL-6) in patients who have undergone thoracotomy and to investigate the effects of flurbiprofen on postoperative inflammatory response.
- Does the prophylactic administration of magnesium sulphate to patients undergoing thoracotomy prevent postoperative supraventricular arrhythmias? A randomized controlled trialT Saran
Academic Department of Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Pain, Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham B9 5SS, UK
Br J Anaesth 106:785-91. 2011..This prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial examined the effects of perioperative magnesium on the development of postoperative SVA...
- The role of pulmonary resection in small cell lung cancerVidhan Chandra
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 81:619-24. 2006..To analyze the outcome of surgical resection for patients with small cell lung cancer (SCLC)...
- Aortic arch enlargement and coarctation repair through a left thoracotomy: significance of ductal perfusionHitendu Dave
Division of Congenital Cardiovascular Surgery, University Children s Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 41:906-12. 2012To analyse the technique of neonatal aortic arch enlargement without cardiopulmonary bypass through a left posterior thoracotomy, as an adjunct to extended resection for Coarctation and severe arch hypoplasia.
- The preferred approach for mitral valve surgery after CABG: right thoracotomy, hypothermia and avoidance of LIMA-LAD graftJ G Byrne
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Heart Valve Dis 10:584-90. 2001..artery-left anterior descending coronary artery (LIMA-LAD) grafts undergoing mitral valve surgery is right thoracotomy with moderate-deep hypothermia (approximately 20 degrees C) and fibrillatory arrest without aortic cross-..
- [Intraoperative conversion and postoperative complication of video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery lobectomy for primary lung cancer]T Maehara
Yokohama Rosai Hospital, Yokohama, Japan
Kyobu Geka 56:939-42. 2003..Four cases (2.9%) were converted to standard posterolateral thoracotomy for oncologic reasons and aortic injury, and 7 cases (5%) were converted to minithoracotomy with a 10 cm ..
- Enhanced presurgical pain temporal summation response predicts post-thoracotomy pain intensity during the acute postoperative phaseIrit Weissman-Fogel
Faculty of Social Welfare and Health Sciences, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
J Pain 10:628-36. 2009..pain estimation) and personality tests (pain catastrophizing and anxiety levels) were administered prior to thoracotomy in 84 patients...
- Non-surgical closure of post-pneumonectomy empyema with bronchopleural fistula after open window thoracotomy using basic fibroblast growth factorMasaya Okuda
Department of General Thoracic, Breast and Endocrinological Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, Kita gun, Kagawa, Japan
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 9:916-8. 2009..report a case of post-pneumonectomy empyema with BPF that was treated by non-surgical closure after open-window thoracotomy (OWT) with the use of basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF), which was sprayed into the unepithelialized ..
- Current opinion regarding indications for emergency department thoracotomyM A Miglietta
Department of Surgery, St. Barnabas Hospital, New York, New York, USA
J Trauma 51:670-6. 2001BACKGROUND: Emergency department thoracotomy (EDT) is a dramatic but rarely lifesaving intervention. Clinical variability regarding indications for EDT has yet to be quantified...
- A short 4-cm oesophageal myotomy relieves the obstructive symptoms of achalasiaYahya Almarhabi
Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Universite de Montreal, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Pavillon Lachapelle, Suite D 8051, 1580 rue Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, QC, CH2L 4M1, Canada
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 36:894-900. 2009..Controversy still persists regarding the ideal length of myotomy to treat oesophageal achalasia. This investigation reports the effects of a short myotomy with an added partial fundoplication for reflux prevention...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery major pulmonary resection requiring control of the main pulmonary arteryRyoichi Nakanishi
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Shin Kokura Hospital, Federation of National Public Service Personnel Mutual Aid Associations, 1 3 1 Kanada, Kokurakita ku, Kitakyusyu 803 8505, Japan
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 9:618-22. 2009..pulmonary resection requiring the cross-clamping of the main pulmonary artery (PA), in comparison to an open thoracotomy performed in patients with lung cancer...
- Hybrid Katp Channel Opener and Redox Catalyst for Lung TransplantationPrakash Jagtap; Fiscal Year: 2013..A sham rat undergoes thoracotomy but neither ischemia nor drug therapy...
- Angiogenic tissue engineering to limit post-infarction ventricular remodelingY Joseph Woo; Fiscal Year: 2012..evaluation of progressively less invasive, clinically available delivery technologies, from minimally invasive thoracotomy to Stiletto endocardial injection catheter to percutaneous intracoronary administration, will be undertaken to ..
- Intravascular Cardiac Assist System for Decompression and RecoveryCAITLYN J BOSECKER; Fiscal Year: 2010..This device can be implanted through a thoracotomy and without cardiopulmonary support, reducing the risks associated with more invasive techniques...
- Development of transapical MVAD for heart failure therapyDaniel Tamez; Fiscal Year: 2013..The device can be inserted via a minimally-invasive approach (subcostal incision or mini-thoracotomy) to access the LV apex, and eliminates the need for creation of the preperitoneal pocket, and anastomosis of ..
- Cardioscopy New Platform for Less Invasive Surgery on the Beating HeartTomislav Mihaljevic; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Cardioscope will be placed near the LV apex via a small thoracotomy or small subxiphoid incision or across the aortic valve via the carotid or femoral artery percutaneous approach...
- Lung nodule detection using 3D "visual palpation" via standard thoracoscopesJason D Harry; Fiscal Year: 2011..Historically this necessitated an open surgical approach (thoracotomy) through a large chest wall incision...
- THE EFFECTS OF COCAINE ON FETAL OXYGENATIONJames Woods; Fiscal Year: 1993..At 100 days of gestation pregnant sheep will undergo arterial and venous catheterization and thoracotomy for placement of a pulmonary artery flow probe for measurement of maternal heart rate, blood pressure, cardiac ..
- Symptom Experience Following Lung Cancer SurgeryKathleen Garrubba Hopkins; Fiscal Year: 2013..the impact of symptoms on performance (functional, cognitive, and physical) in patients with and without post-thoracotomy pain syndrome (PTPS)...
- Use of Mechanism of Injury for the Identification of Severely Injured ChildrenE Brooke Lerner; Fiscal Year: 2013..The primary outcome for determining which children need a trauma team activation will be placement of a surgical airway, cesarean section, thoracotomy, non-orthopedic surgery, or death within four hours of arriving at the trauma center.
- CONTROL OF CEREBRAL REPERFUSION AFTER CARDIAC ARRESTPeter Safar; Fiscal Year: 1990..In years 1 and 2 we propose to compare CPR-ALS with CPB (veno-arterial pumping via oxygenator, without thoracotomy, with heparinization and hemodilution), and study three different reperfusion pressure patterns controlled by ..
- Predicting Chronic Pain after Thoracic Surgery: A Bayesian ApproachEmine Ozgur Bayman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Both thoracotomy and thoracoscopy patients will be included in this study...
- Automated retraction for thoracotomy: Improved recovery of respiratory function aHUGH CRENSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2009..In 2005, approximately 200,000 were performed in the US. Thoracotomy causes significant trauma of the thoracic tissues due to mechanical separation of the ribs to create surgical ..
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells for Myocardial InfarctionRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2006..of cells as a clinical approach includes the ability to give one or repeated injections without the need for thoracotomy. However, the outcome of this approach on left ventricular function and healing (remodeling of the heart) is ..
- RESUSCITATION AFTER PROLONGED CARDIAC ARRESTMax Weil; Fiscal Year: 1990..oxygenation (ECPO) utilizing femoral artery and jugular vein access and internal cardiac massage (ICM) after thoracotomy as interventions for cardiac resuscitation after 10, 15 and 20 minutes of clinical death in an animal model...
- Strategies for Transcatheter Mitral Valve ReplacementJoseph H Gorman; Fiscal Year: 2013..surgical delivery system which will ultimately facilitate off pump mitral valve replacement via a small right thoracotomy in humans...
- Acupuncture treatment for post-thoracotomy pain syndromeBarrie Cassileth; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Background: Post-thoracotomy pain syndrome affects many lung cancer patients and survivors...
- The Effects of Soy Protein Supplementation on Post-Thoracotomy PainJennifer Haythornthwaite; Fiscal Year: 2009..proposed study will examine whether a soy protein supplement reduces the pain commonly experienced following thoracotomy for lung surgery...
- TOLERANCE IN PRIMATES--THYMIC IMPLANTATION OF STEM CELLMargaret Allen; Fiscal Year: 2002..altered? Experiments are performed in juvenile baboons, implanting CD34+ cells in the thymus through a small thoracotomy and using a cervical heterotopic cardiac graft which facilitates biopsies...
- High Impedance Pacing Electrode with Novel Tine FixationALAN GRESZLER; Fiscal Year: 2004..myoepicardial lead designs as well as tools for placement of these devices into the left ventricle through a thoracotomy or sub-xyphoid approach...
- New Diagnostic Assay for Early Detection of Lung CancerFeng Jiang; Fiscal Year: 2006..and oral brushings and lung tumor tissue specimens from consecutive patients with lung cancer who had undergone thoracotomy and compare these data with clinical covariates to determine the assay's diagnostic ability with surrogate ..
- IMMUNOLOGIC MECHANISMS IN ATOPIC BRONCHIAL ASTHMAHAL RICHERSON; Fiscal Year: 1992..Chopped fresh human lung obtained at thoracotomy for surgical indications will be studied for alterations in beta adrenergic and cholinergic receptors following ..
- COPD Clinical Research Network & Clinical Research Skills Core DevelopmentGerard Criner; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Transfer of the CD40 ligand gene to esophageal carcinomaRobert Korst; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will help determine if intratumoral administration of the AdCUCD40L vector is safe, and evokes sufficient DC-related host responses to warrant further studies in esophageal cancer. ..
- Use of Quantitative RT-PCR for Staging Esophageal CancerJames Luketich; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, we believe that this research will answer some very interesting questions about tumor biology and metastasis in esophageal cancer. ..
- Photodynamic Therapy for the Treatment of Obstructive E*Todd Demmy; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal will be instrumental in the development of a novel PDT drug without long-term restrictions of patients' sun exposure. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Substrate Mapping & Ablation of Ventricular TachycardiaVivek Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Lung Cancer Prognosis: FLT PET and DNA HypermethylationHubert Vesselle; Fiscal Year: 2009..This prognostic information will permit individualization and optimization of therapy for the 41,000 early stage NSCLC patients undergoing surgical resection each year in the United States. ..
- Reducing Barriers to Pain and Fatigue ManagementBetty Ferrell; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE THERAPY AND BIOLOGY OF GVHDAndrew Gilman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Blood from patients will be examined at study entry and then every three months to examine the biology of chronic GVHD, and to see if the different treatment regimens affect the immune system differently. ..
- Mitochondrial Protection Within Chronically Ischemic MyocardiumEdward O McFalls; Fiscal Year: 2010..Using this model, we propose that a class of drugs used in diabetic patients that has been associated with heart failure exacerbations, alters the mitochondrial energy production in a similar way. ..
- Towards a Non-Invasive Therapy for Atrial FibrillationBenjamin Scherlag; Fiscal Year: 2004..This new therapeutic approach could be utilized as a non-invasive application or incorporated into an implantable device for treatment of patients with PAF. ..
- PATIENT AND PUBLIC EDUCATION IN CANCER PAIN MANAGEMENTBetty Ferrell; Fiscal Year: 2002..This course will impact 120 healthcare settings to improve pain management and quality of life in cancer patients and to establish model pain education programs for national dissemination. ..
- Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in Cardiac SurgeryWilliam Holman; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Pediatric Cardiac Procedures: Access, Rates and OutcomesDarryl Gray; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will address such concerns in the increasingly important but as yet understudied realm of pediatric cardiac interventions. ..
- Antigen Presentation in CD4-mediated Cardiac RejectionTodd Grazia; Fiscal Year: 2003..endothelial cells). These chimeric mice can then serve as heart donors into immunodeficient recipients reconstituted with CD4 T-cells. Results of these studies will have significant implications for targeted therapy. ..
- THE BIOLOGY OF LUNG CANCER-- FDG AND FLUOROTHYMIDINE PETHubert Vesselle; Fiscal Year: 2004..By performing a biologic grading of resectable NSCLC with FDG PET, we will predict which patients will have a worse outcome. This information will allow individualized therapy. ..
- UNDERSTANDING THE PATHOGENESIS OF STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUSVance Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2003..Accomplishing the aims of this proposal will contribute to improved clinical management of patients with S. aureus bacteremia, and will add to the understanding of S. aureus virulence factors. ..
- Chemokines, nitric oxide, and myocardial depressionBysani Chandrasekar; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results from these studies will further our knowledge of chemokine biology and lead to new therapeutic strategies to prevent or treat myocardial dysfunction in ischemia-reperfusion injury. ..
- Critical Role of Alveolar Fibrin in Acute Lung InjuryGilman Allen; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Angiogenesis and Cardiac Growth as Heart Failure TherapyY Woo; Fiscal Year: 2008..The candidate's institution, sponsor, and chairman provide a uniquely supportive, high-caliber, educationally stimulating environment highly conducive to the achievement of these goals. ..
- Development of Sensory/Pain-Selective Local AnestheticsPeter Gerner; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Visualizing the Substrate for Sudden Cardiac DeathVivek Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Understanding the Impact of Multiple Symptoms: A Symptom Burden ConsortiumCharles Cleeland; Fiscal Year: 2006..The document will be a collaborative effort among consortium participants, and will be submitted to a leading scientific peer-reviewed journal. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- End of Life Nursing Education through Graduate ProgramsBetty Ferrell; Fiscal Year: 2006..This proposal includes extensive evaluation planned to monitor individual and institutional dissemination. ..
- Diastolic Dysfunction & Atrial Fibrillation in ElderlyTERESA TSANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..Identification of the cascade of factors contributing to AF development will have important implications in primary prevention of this major public health problem. ..
- Oncology Nursing Education in End of Life CareBetty Ferrell; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal includes extensive evaluation planned to monitor individual and institutional dissemination. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of TGF-Alpha in Pulmonary Vascular DiseaseTIMOTHY LE CRAS; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information will serve as a basis for developing therapeutic strategies aimed at improving lung growth and preventing pulmonary hypertension in premature babies and adults. ..
- PS06-003, Opt-out HIV Testing in Emergency Dept settingsJason Haukoos; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FLT PET to Plan the Best Therapy for Lung CancerHubert Vesselle; Fiscal Year: 2008..At the conclusion of this study, the insight gained in the response of stage III NSCLCs will allow clinicians to plan the best therapy for these patients. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms and Treatment of Cancer-Related Symptoms ConfCharles Cleeland; Fiscal Year: 2005..The conference should also be of interest to pharmaceutical companies that are developing "pipeline" drugs for symptom control and supportive care. ..
- Injury - Induced Endothelial DysfunctionFiemu Nwariaku; Fiscal Year: 2008..The overall objectives are to determine the role of intracellular oxidants, rho and MAPK pathways on junctional phosphorylation and endothelial dysfunction. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IMAGE REPRESENTATION IN THE PRIMARY VISUAL CORTEXAllan Gottschalk; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, this material provides an important quantitative link between biologic and synthetic methods of image representation. ..
- Mechanisms of Myocardial Radiofrequency Scar ExpansionRupak Mukherjee; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP BDavid Sugarbaker; Fiscal Year: 2002..Three stages of group development are described: (1) surgeon recruitment phase; (2) patient recruitment phase (educational activities about adjuvant therapy trials. etc.); and (3) protocol development phase (intellectual activities). ..
- Acupuncture to aid post-colectomy recovery in colorectal cancer patientsGary Deng; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..