- Intraocular lens implantation in the absence of capsular support: a report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology
Michael D Wagoner
Ophthalmology 110:840-59. 2003
..It also attempted to determine whether there is a preferred IOL or fixation site of choice in eyes with inadequate capsular support...
- Sutures versus staples for skin closure in orthopaedic surgery: meta-analysis
Toby O Smith
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Norwich NR2 7UY
BMJ 340:c1199. 2010
..To compare the clinical outcomes of staples versus sutures in wound closure after orthopaedic surgery...
- Single-row versus double-row arthroscopic rotator cuff repair: a prospective randomized clinical study
Villa Valeria Clinic, Rome, Italy
Arthroscopy 25:4-12. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to compare the clinical outcome of arthroscopic rotator cuff repair with single-row and double-row techniques...
- Unidirectional barbed suture versus continuous suture with intracorporeal knots in laparoscopic myomectomy: a randomized study
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, San Martino Hospital and University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 17:725-9. 2010
..To estimate the effectiveness of unidirectional knotless barbed suture and continuous suture with intracorporeal knots in the repair of uterine wall defects during laparoscopic myomectomy...
- Prospective randomized clinical trial of single- versus double-row suture anchor repair in 2- to 4-cm rotator cuff tears: clinical and magnetic resonance imaging results
Kyoung Hwan Koh
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Arthroscopy 27:453-62. 2011
..The purpose of this study was to compare the clinical outcomes and the retear rates of arthroscopic single-row (SR) and double-row (DR) suture anchor repair in 2- to 4-cm rotator cuff tears...
- Novel method of stump closure for distal pancreatectomy with a 75% reduction in pancreatic fistula rate
Joseph A Blansfield
Geisinger Medical Center, Section of Surgical Oncology, 100 N Academy Avenue, MC 21 69, Danville, PA, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 16:524-8. 2012
..Fistulas lead to substantial morbidity. The study objective was to compare radiofrequency dissector closure with traditional stump closure for distal pancreatectomy...
- Validation of a new technique to determine midbundle femoral tunnel position in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using 3-dimensional computed tomography analysis
Jonathan H Bird
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust, Coventry, England
Arthroscopy 27:1259-67. 2011
..The purpose of this study was to investigate and report on a new intraoperative measuring technique to place the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) femoral tunnel in the center of the native ACL femoral insertion site...
- Prospective, randomized, double-blind trial of curriculum-based training for intracorporeal suturing and knot tying
Kent R Van Sickle
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Am Coll Surg 207:560-8. 2008
..The use of simulation within a defined skills-training curriculum is attractive for instructor, trainee, and patient. This study examined the impact of a curriculum-based approach to laparoscopic suturing and knot tying...
- Barbed suture for renorrhaphy during robot-assisted partial nephrectomy
Vattikuti Urology Institute, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Endourol 25:529-33. 2011
..We present the first clinical study of barbed suture for renorrhaphy during RAPN in human patients and compare perioperative outcomes to RAPN with polyglactin suture...
- Transosseous fixation of the distal tibiofibular syndesmosis: comparison of an interosseous suture and endobutton to traditional screw fixation in 50 cases
James M Cottom
Sarasota Orthopedic Associates, 2750 Bahia Vista, Sarasota, FL 34239, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 48:620-30. 2009
..The results of this study indicate that the interosseous suture with endobuttons is a reasonable option for repair of ankle syndesmotic injuries, and may be as effective as traditional internal screw fixation...
- A prospective randomized clinical trial comparing arthroscopic single- and double-row rotator cuff repair: magnetic resonance imaging and early clinical evaluation
Robert T Burks
University of Utah Orthopaedic Center, Salt Lake City, 84108, USA
Am J Sports Med 37:674-82. 2009
..Double-row arthroscopic rotator cuff repair has become more popular, and some studies have shown better footprint coverage and improved biomechanics of the repair...
- Corneal topographic changes after transconjunctival (25-gauge) sutureless vitrectomy
Department of Ophthalmology, Haydarpasa Numune Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Am J Ophthalmol 140:939-41. 2005
..To evaluate the topographic changes in the cornea after pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) with 25-gauge transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy (TSV) system...
- Top hat wound configuration for penetrating keratoplasty using the femtosecond laser: a laboratory model
Teresa S Ignacio
Department of Ophthalmology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Cornea 25:336-40. 2006
..To evaluate the mechanical stability and induced astigmatism of a modified multiplanar "top hat" wound configuration for full-thickness penetrating keratoplasty (PK) using the femtosecond laser as compared with PK in a laboratory model...
- Mechanical strength of arthroscopic rotator cuff repair techniques: an in vitro study
Alberto G Schneeberger
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Zurich, Balgrist, Zurich, Switzerland
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:2152-60. 2002
..The goal of this study was to analyze the mechanical properties following arthroscopic techniques for rotator cuff repair and to evaluate possible alternative techniques...
- Interrupted or continuous slowly absorbable sutures for closure of primary elective midline abdominal incisions: a multicenter randomized trial (INSECT: ISRCTN24023541)
Christoph M Seiler
Study Center of the German Surgical Society, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 110, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Ann Surg 249:576-82. 2009
..The aim of this study is to compare: (1) interrupted technique with rapidly absorbable sutures and (2) continuous techniques with different slowly absorbable sutures, focusing on the incidence of incisional hernias within 1 year...
- A new technique for pancreaticogastrostomy for the soft pancreas: the transfixing suture method
Department of Surgical Oncology and Digestive Surgery, Kagoshima University Graduate School, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima, 890 8520, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 13:212-7. 2006
..Accordingly, we devised a pancreas-transfixing suture method for pancreaticogastrostomies in patients with a soft, nonfibrotic pancreatic remnant...
- Securing the appendiceal stump in laparoscopic appendectomy: evidence for routine stapling?
Department of Surgery, Erasmus Medical Centre Rotterdam, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015, GD, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 20:1473-6. 2006
..This metaanalysis aimed to compare endoscopic linear stapling and loop ligatures used to secure the base of the appendix...
- Experience with vacuum-pack temporary abdominal wound closure in 258 trauma and general and vascular surgical patients
Donald E Barker
Department of Surgery, University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Chattanooga, TN 37403, USA
J Am Coll Surg 204:784-92; discussion 792-3. 2007
..We have previously reported our experience with a vacuum-pack in trauma patients and have expanded its use to general and vascular surgery patients...
- Defunctioning stoma reduces symptomatic anastomotic leakage after low anterior resection of the rectum for cancer: a randomized multicenter trial
Department of Surgery, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Ann Surg 246:207-14. 2007
- Influence of modified posterior reconstruction of the rhabdosphincter on early recovery of continence and anastomotic leakage rates after robot-assisted radical prostatectomy
Rafael F Coelho
Global Robotics Institute, Florida Hospital Celebration Health, Celebration, FL, USA
Eur Urol 59:72-80. 2011
..This technique has also been applied during robot-assisted radical prostatectomy (RARP); however, contradictory results have been reported...
- Clinical outcome and imaging of arthroscopic single-row and double-row rotator cuff repair: a prospective randomized trial
Hsiao Li Ma
National Yang Ming University School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Arthroscopy 28:16-24. 2012
- Decreased incidence of vaginal cuff dehiscence after laparoscopic closure with bidirectional barbed suture
Matthew T Siedhoff
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7570, USA
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 18:218-23. 2011
..To estimate whether a new surgical technique is associated with lower incidence of postoperative breakdown of the vaginal cuff after laparoscopic hysterectomy or trachelectomy, compared with previous methods of closure...
- Comparison of fibrin glue versus suture for conjunctival autografting in pterygium surgery: a meta-analysis
Hong wei Pan
Department of Ophthalmology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Jinan University, Guangzhou, China
Ophthalmology 118:1049-54. 2011
..To evaluate the safety and clinical efficacy of fibrin glue in pterygium surgery with conjunctival autografting...
- A multicenter randomized controlled trial comparing single-row with double-row fixation in arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
Peter L C Lapner
Division of Orthopaedics, The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus, 501 Smyth Road, W1648, Box 502, Ottawa, ON K1H 8L6, Canada Lapner
J Bone Joint Surg Am 94:1249-57. 2012
..The purpose of this multicenter, randomized, double-blind controlled study was to compare the functional outcomes and healing rates after use of single-row and double-row suture techniques for repair of the rotator cuff.
- A prospective therapeutic comparison of simple suture repairs to massive cuff stitch repairs for treatment of small- and medium-sized rotator cuff tears
Sang Hun Ko
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Ulsan University Hospital, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Ulsan, South Korea
Arthroscopy 25:583-9, 589.e1-4. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to compare the massive cuff stitch (MCS) with the simple stitch in terms of integrity at 2 years after surgery when used to repair small-sized to medium-sized full-thickness rotator cuff tears...
- Comparative analysis of single-row versus double-row repair of rotator cuff tears
William T Pennington
The Orthopedic Institute of Wisconsin, Midwest Orthopedic Specialty Hospital, 3111 W Rawson Ave, Franklin, WI 53132, U S A
Arthroscopy 26:1419-26. 2010
..Our goal in this analysis was to compare clinical outcomes and radiographic healing rates of double-row (DR) transosseous-equivalent versus single-row (SR) Mason-Allen configuration (MAC) arthroscopic repair techniques...
- Clinical and radiographic outcomes after arthroscopic repair of massive rotator cuff tears using a suture bridge technique: assessment of repair integrity on magnetic resonance imaging
Jung Ryul Kim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, CHA Bundang Medical Center, CHA University School of Medicine, Sung Nam, South Korea
Am J Sports Med 40:786-93. 2012
..High retear rates of arthroscopic massive rotator cuff repair have been reported with relatively satisfactory functional outcomes...
- Functional and structural outcome after arthroscopic full-thickness rotator cuff repair: single-row versus dual-row fixation
Shoulder and Elbow Service, Funabashi Orthopedic Sports Medicine Center, Funabashi, Chiba, Japan
Arthroscopy 21:1307-16. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to compare the functional as well as the structural outcomes of single-row and dual-row fixation after arthroscopic full-thickness rotator cuff repair...
- A simple, effective technique for port-site closure after laparoscopy
Liver Surgery Unit, 3rd Department of General Surgery, University of Milan, Faculty of Medicine, Humanitas Clinical Institute, Milan, Italy
JSLS 15:77-80. 2011
..Fascial closure of port sites represents a challenging issue in laparoscopic surgery. The aim of this article is to introduce a procedure that allows the safe suturing of the abdominal fascia in these wounds...
- Suturing training in Augmented Reality: gaining proficiency in suturing skills faster
S M B I Botden
Department of Surgery, Catharina Hospital, Michelangelolaan 2, 5623 EJ, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 23:2131-7. 2009
..This study researched the performance curve of the adapted suturing module on the ProMIS Augmented Reality simulator...
- A randomized study comparing skin closure in cesarean sections: staples vs subcuticular sutures
Julie Anne Rousseau
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Laval University, Quebec, QC, Canada
Am J Obstet Gynecol 200:265.e1-4. 2009
..We sought to compare postoperative pain according to the skin closure method (subcuticular sutures vs staples) after an elective term cesarean section...
- Athermal division and selective suture ligation of the dorsal vein complex during robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: description of technique and outcomes
Division of Urologic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Eur Urol 59:235-43. 2011
..Apical dissection and control of the dorsal vein complex (DVC) affects blood loss, apical positive margins, and urinary control during robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy (RALP)...
- Elective midline laparotomy closure: the INLINE systematic review and meta-analysis
Markus K Diener
Department of General, Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Study Centre of the German Surgical Society, and Institute of Medical Biometry and Informatics, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Ann Surg 251:843-56. 2010
..To evaluate the optimal technique and material for abdominal fascia closure after midline laparotomy, first by means of a precisely defined study population and follow-up period and second by the surgically driven aspects...
- Shouldice technique versus other open techniques for inguinal hernia repair
Dipartimento di Chirurgia Generale Edif 6, Universita Degli Studi Di Napoli, Napoli
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4:CD001543. 2012
..Outcome measures, such as recurrence rates, complications and length of post operative stay, vary considerably among the various techniques...
- Does type of pancreaticojejunostomy after pancreaticoduodenectomy decrease rate of pancreatic fistula? A randomized, prospective, dual-institution trial
Adam C Berger
Department of Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Jefferson Pancreas, Biliary and Related Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
J Am Coll Surg 208:738-47; discussion 747-9. 2009
..We tested the hypothesis that a duct to mucosa pancreaticojejunostomy would reduce the PF rate...
- Sutureless vitrectomy incision architecture in the immediate postoperative period evaluated in vivo using optical coherence tomography
Eye Hospital, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou, Zhejiang, China
Ophthalmology 117:2003-9. 2010
..To investigate the in vivo sutureless vitrectomy incision architecture using optical coherence tomography (OCT) in the immediate postoperative period...
- Suture-button versus screw fixation in a syndesmosis rupture model: a biomechanical comparison
Sandeep P Soin
Baltimore, MD, USA
Foot Ankle Int 30:346-52. 2009
..This study examined how much fibular motion occurs during cyclic loading of ankles repaired with suture-buttons or screws relative to one with intact ligaments...
- Loop ileostomy closure: comparison of cost effectiveness between suture and stapler
Department of Visceral Surgery and Medicine, Bern University Hospital, University of Bern, 3010, Bern, Switzerland
World J Surg 34:2867-71. 2010
..Closure of loop ileostomy can be safely performed using sutures or staplers. The aim of the present study was to compare the cost effectiveness of three different techniques...
- Small bowel fistulas and the open abdomen
H P Becker
Department of General, Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery, Central Military Hospital, Koblenz, Germany
Scand J Surg 96:263-71. 2007
..For patients with an open abdomen, surgical expertise and a well-structured management plan offer the best chances to overcome this potentially devastating condition--with or without fistula...
- Closure of the abdominal midline fascia: meta-analysis delineates the optimal technique
Department of Surgery, New York Methodist Hospital and Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Brooklyn 11215, USA
Am Surg 67:421-6. 2001
..A continuous mass (all-layer) closure with absorbable monofilament suture material is the optimal technique for fascial closure after laparotomy...
- Single incision transumbilical laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a first case report
Chih Kun Huang
Department of General Surgery, E Da Hospital I Shou University, 1, E Da Rd, Jian Shu Tsuen, Yan Chau Shiang, Kaohsiung, 824, Taiwan
Obes Surg 19:1711-5. 2009
..When performed via the transumbilical route, it can make the abdominal wound scarless and cosmetically more acceptable...
- Prospective, controlled clinical trial of Ankaferd Blood Stopper in children undergoing tonsillectomy
Aysenur Meric Teker
Otorhinolaryngology Department, Vakif Gureba Training and Research Hospital, Fatih, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 73:1742-5. 2009
..This is a prospective study evaluating the efficacy of Ankaferd Blood Stopper as a hemostatic agent compared to hemostasis by means of knot-tie after cold knife dissection tonsillectomy...
- Scleral and iris fixation of posterior chamber lenses in the absence of capsular support
Department of Ophthalmology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 16:57-60. 2005
..To review the methods described in the literature in the past year (from August 2003 to date)...
- Laparoscopic repair of incisional hernias
William S Cobb
Carolinas Laparoscopic and Advanced Surgery Program, Carolinas Medical Center, 1000 Blythe Boulevard, Charlotte, NC 28203, USA
Surg Clin North Am 85:91-103, ix. 2005
- Prognosis factors in incisional hernia surgery: 25 years of experience
Department of General Surgery, Georg August University Gottingen, Robert Koch Str 40, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Hernia 9:16-21. 2005
..The relevance of different factors, like operative technique, mesh material, and patient-related parameters concerning the outcome following mesh repair, are still under debate...
- Implantation of scleral-fixated posterior chamber intraocular lenses in adults
Department of Ophthalmology, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Acta Ophthalmol 86:537-42. 2008
..To report the results of transscleral fixation of posterior chamber intraocular lenses in adults...
- Biomechanical evaluation of arthroscopic rotator cuff stitches
C Benjamin Ma
The Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:1211-6. 2004
..The goal of this study was to determine the biomechanical properties of the massive cuff stitch and to compare it with other stitches commonly used for rotator cuff repair...
- Evaluation of a novel knotless self-anchoring suture material for urinary tract reconstruction
Kyle J Weld
Division of Urology and Department of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Urology 67:1133-7. 2006
..To evaluate a novel prototype self-anchoring suture (SAS) material that incorporates unidirectional "barbs" designed to grip and approximate tissue without the need for suture ligation for urinary tract reconstructive procedures...
- Sutureless revision of overhanging filtering blebs
Department of Ophthalmology, The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, 310 E 14th Street, New York, NY 10003, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 124:1317-20. 2006
..Sutureless surgical revision of overhanging filtering blebs is a safe and effective technique to reduce bleb-related dysesthesia and improve cosmesis without compromising filtration function...
- Equivalent clinical results of arthroscopic single-row and double-row suture anchor repair for rotator cuff tears: a randomized controlled trial
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Campus Biomedico University, Via Longoni, 83 Rome, Italy
Am J Sports Med 35:1254-60. 2007
..A double row of suture anchors increases the tendon-bone contact area, reconstituting a more anatomical configuration of the rotator cuff footprint...
- Early postoperative hypotony after 25-gauge sutureless vitrectomy with straight incisions
Beyoglu Eye Research and Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Retina 28:545-52. 2008
..To evaluate the rate, duration, and associated complications of postoperative hypotony after 25-gauge sutureless vitrectomy...
- The current evidence on stapled versus hand-sewn anastomoses in the digestive tract
University Surgical Clinic, Clinical Hospital Center Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol 17:151-4. 2008
..Nevertheless, proper handling of staplers and experience remain crucial issues if one wants to gain benefits when using these devices...
- Comparison of manual and mechanical cervical esophagogastric anastomosis after esophageal resection for squamous cell carcinoma: a prospective randomized controlled trial
Hsao Hsun Hsu
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, No 7, Chung Shan South Road, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 25:1097-101. 2004
..This study was to compare the postoperative and long-term results of manual and mechanical techniques for cervical esophagogastric anastomosis after resection for squamous cell carcinoma...
- Single-layer continuous versus two-layer interrupted intestinal anastomosis: a prospective randomized trial
J M Burch
Department of Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, Denver, Colorado 80204 4507, USA
Ann Surg 231:832-7. 2000
..To determine the suitability of a single-layer continuous technique for intestinal anastomosis in a surgical training program...
- Comparing wound complication rates following closure of hip wounds with metallic skin staples or subcuticular vicryl suture: a prospective randomised trial
A A Shetty
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma, Kent and Sussex Hospital, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, United Kingdom
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 12:191-3. 2004
..To compare 2 methods of wound closure-metallic staples or 3-0 undyed vicryl-according to postoperative wound complication rates...
- Subluxation of transscleral sutured posterior chamber intraocular lens (TSIOL)
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 6485, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 136:382-4. 2003
..To evaluate factors related to late-onset transscleral sutured posterior chamber intraocular lens (TSIOL) subluxation...
- Transconjunctival sutureless 23-gauge vitrectomy
Department of Ophthalmology, Staedtische Kliniken Frankfurt am Main Hoechst, Frankfurt, Germany
Retina 25:208-11. 2005
- Clinically significant corneal astigmatism and pars plana vitrectomy
M Madison Slusher
Wake Forest University Eye Center, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1033, USA
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers 33:5-8. 2002
..To report a rare and previously unappreciated potential wound-related complication of repeat pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) combined with anterior segment surgery...
- Part I: Footprint contact characteristics for a transosseous-equivalent rotator cuff repair technique compared with a double-row repair technique
Maxwell C Park
Kerlan Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:461-8. 2007
..A transosseous-equivalent technique, using suture bridges, may help optimize the healing biology at a repaired rotator cuff insertion...
- A comparative study of tissue glue and vicryl suture for closing limbal-conjunctival autografts and histologic evaluation after pterygium excision
Ankara Ulucanlar Eye Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Cornea 27:552-8. 2008
..To compare clinical and histopathologic outcomes of tissue glue and vicryl suture to attach limbal conjunctival autografts in pterygium surgery...
- Suture-endobutton fixation of ankle tibio-fibular diastasis: a cadaver study
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Department of Anatomy, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Foot Ankle Int 24:142-6. 2003
..I. 0.46 to 0.84). These results show that Suture-Endobutton fixation at least equals the performance of screw fixation and encourages clinical trials in ankle injuries with a syndesmosis diastasis...
- Secondary peripheral iris suture fixation of an acrylic IOL in megalocornea
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:7; author reply 8. 2005
- A simple and safe anastomosis in pancreaticogastrostomy using mattress sutures
Department of Surgery, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Osaka, Japan
Am J Surg 196:130-4. 2008
..Postoperative amylase levels in the drainage fluid decreased significantly and none of the 17 patients developed pancreatic fistula formation. The technique is simple and shortens the time required for anastomosis...
- Anterior chamber and sutured posterior chamber intraocular lenses in eyes with poor capsular support
Kendall E Donaldson
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:903-9. 2005
..To compare the clinical outcomes and complications of patients who had surgical placement of anterior chamber (AC IOLs) and sutured posterior chamber intraocular lenses (PC IOLs) after cataract surgery resulting in poor capsular support...
- Late dislocation of scleral-sutured posterior chamber intraocular lenses
Marianne O Price
Cornea Research Foundation of America, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:1320-6. 2005
..To examine a recent series of late scleral-sutured posterior chamber intraocular lens (PCIOL) dislocations to identify possible causes and preventive measures...
- Seroma and recurrence in laparoscopic ventral hernioplasty
Evangelos C Tsimoyiannis
Department of Surgery, G Hatzikosta General Hospital, Ioannina, Greece
JSLS 12:51-7. 2008
..The aim of this study was to investigate the events, what caused recurrences, and the technique to prevent recurrence in laparoscopic ventral hernioplasty...
- Evaluation of suture caliber in flexor tendon repair
J S Taras
Division of Hand Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Hand Surg Am 26:1100-4. 2001
..The technique effected repair strength only with the larger 2-0 and 3-0 suture calibers, which tested the technique's capacity to hold the tendon...
- Electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing system is a safe and time-saving alternative to classic suture ligation in total thyroidectomy
First Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippocrateion Hospital, Athens Medical School, Q Sophia114, 11527, Athens, Greece
Head Neck 27:959-62. 2005
..Total thyroidectomy is associated with minimal morbidity. The electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing system is an adjunct to the surgical technique, recently made available to thyroid surgery...
- Deep sternal wound infection after cardiac surgery: modality of treatment and outcome
Franz F Immer
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Inselspital, University Hospital, Berne, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 80:957-61. 2005
..We tried to identify risk factors for failure of vacuum-assisted sternal closure and compare the outcome and long-term quality of life (QoL) with the results obtained after sternal resection and muscle flap...
- A biomechanical study of Achilles tendon repair augmentation using GraftJacket matrix
F Alan Barber
Plano Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Center, Sports Medicine, Plano, Texas 75093, USA
Foot Ankle Int 29:329-33. 2008
..This study evaluated strength and stiffness of an Achilles tendon repair augmented with a human dermal allograft (GraftJacket)...
- Modified capsular tension ring for patients with congenital loss of zonular support
Robert J Cionni
Cincinnati Eye Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio 45242, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:1668-73. 2003
..To evaluate the results of implantation of a modified capsular tension ring (MCTR) and a posterior chamber intraocular lens (PC IOL) in patients with congenitally subluxated crystalline lenses...
- Single port transumbilical (E-NOTES) donor nephrectomy
Inderbir S Gill
Center for Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery, Department of Urology, Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Urol 180:637-41; discussion 641. 2008
..In a similar manner the umbilicus, an embryonic (E) natural orifice, permits abdominal access with hidden scar of entry. We propose the term E-NOTES for embryonic natural orifice transumbilical endoscopic surgery...
- Influence of cuff muscle fatty degeneration on anatomic and functional outcomes after simple suture of full-thickness tears
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Henri Mondor Hospital, University of Paris, Creteil, France
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 12:550-4. 2003
..5 versus 77.5). In the subgroup of watertight cuffs, it was lower when GFDI was higher. Fatty degeneration is an important prognostic factor in rotator cuff surgery...
- Tendon-bone interface motion in transosseous suture and suture anchor rotator cuff repair techniques
Christopher S Ahmad
Center for Shoulder, Elbow, and Sports Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Columbia University, 622 West 168th Street, PH 11th Floor, New York, New York 10032, USA
Am J Sports Med 33:1667-71. 2005
- Effect of stitch length on wound complications after closure of midline incisions: a randomized controlled trial
Department of Surgery, Sundsvall Hospital, Sundsvall, Sweden
Arch Surg 144:1056-9. 2009
..In midline incisions closed with a single-layer running suture, the rate of wound complications is lower when a suture length to wound length ratio of at least 4 is accomplished with a short stitch length rather than with a long one...
- Evaluation of wound closure in oblique 23-gauge sutureless sclerotomies with visante optical coherence tomography
Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 147:101-107.e1. 2009
..To investigate the in vivo real-time wound morphology of fresh 23-gauge sutureless oblique sclerotomy wounds with anterior segment optical coherence tomography (OCT)...
- A biomechanical comparison of single and double-row fixation in arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
Christopher D Smith
The Shoulder Unit, Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, 60 Grove End Road, London NWB 9NH, United Kingdom
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:2425-31. 2006
..The specific aims were to measure gap formation at the bone-tendon interface under static creep loading and the ultimate strength and mode of failure of both methods of repair under cyclic loading...
- Repair of primary rhegmatogenous retinal detachment using 25-gauge transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy
Michael M Lai
Associated Retinal Consultants, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
Retina 28:729-34. 2008
..To evaluate the anatomical and visual outcomes of primary rhegmatogenous retinal detachment repairs performed using 25-gauge transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy...
- Outcome and structural integrity after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair using 2 rows of fixation: minimum 2-year follow-up
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
Am J Sports Med 34:1899-905. 2006
..Although arthroscopic repairs of the rotator cuff are becoming increasingly popular, security of fixation remains a concern. Two-row repairs have been described, but clinical outcome reports have primarily involved open techniques...
- Challenges in managing postpartum hemorrhage in resource-poor countries
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kingston Hospital, Galsworthy Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
Clin Obstet Gynecol 52:285-98. 2009
- Virtual reality and computer-enhanced training devices equally improve laparoscopic surgical skill in novices
Baystate Medical Center, Department of Surgery, Tufts University School of Medicine, Springfield, Massachusetts 01199, USA
JSLS 12:219-26. 2008
..The study aim was to compare the effectiveness of virtual reality and computer-enhanced videoscopic training devices for training novice surgeons in complex laparoscopic skills...
- PErineal Assessment and Repair Longitudinal Study (PEARLS): protocol for a matched pair cluster trial
Debra E Bick
King s College London, Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwifery, James Clerk Maxwell Building, 57 Waterloo Road, London, UK
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 10:10. 2010
..Implementation of a standardised training package to support effective perineal management practices could reduce perineal pain and other related postnatal morbidity for a substantial number of women...
- Measures to prevent pancreatic fistula after pancreatoduodenectomy: a comprehensive review
Eric C H Lai
Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Arch Surg 144:1074-80. 2009
..To review the current evidence on the efficacy of various interventions directed toward prevention of pancreatic fistula after pancreatoduodenectomy...
- Comparison of fibrin glue with sutures for pterygium excision surgery with conjunctival autografts
Reece C Hall
Ophthalmology Department, Wellington Hospital, Capital Coast District Health Board, Wellington, New Zealand
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 37:584-9. 2009
..To compare pterygium excision conjunctival autograft surgery using Tisseel fibrin glue versus Vicryl sutures...
- The use of bidirectional barbed suture in laparoscopic myomectomy and total laparoscopic hysterectomy
James A Greenberg
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02130, USA
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 15:621-3. 2008
..On the basis of our early experience, we are optimistic that this new suture material is a potentially valuable tool for gynecologic surgeons...
- Complications after 344 damage-control open celiotomies
Richard S Miller
Section of Surgical Sciences, Division of Trauma and Surgical Critical Care, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37212, USA
J Trauma 59:1365-71; discussion 1371-4. 2005
..We reviewed our experience with the open abdomen and hypothesized that the known high wound complication rates were related to the timing and method of wound closure...
- Predicting mortality and morbidity of patients operated on for perforated peptic ulcers
F Y Lee
Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, China
Arch Surg 136:90-4. 2001
..CONCLUSIONS: The APACHE II score may be a useful tool for stratifying patients into various risk groups, and the Boey score might select appropriate patients for laparoscopic repair...
- Human fibrin tissue adhesive for sutureless lamellar keratoplasty and scleral patch adhesion: a pilot study
Herbert E Kaufman
Department of Ophthalmology, LSU Eye Center, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Ophthalmology 110:2168-72. 2003
..To determine whether a fibrin adhesive can facilitate the performance of sutureless lamellar keratoplasty and attachment of amnion to bare sclera...
- From simple interrupted to complex spiral: a systematic review of various suture techniques for microvascular anastomoses
Mohammed S Alghoul
Departement of Plastic Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Microsurgery 31:72-80. 2011
..randomized, controlled clinical trials comparing the efficacy and clinical outcomes of each of the various suture techniques, and therefore one's comfort and familiarity should dictate his or her microsurgical technique...
- Small-incision iris fixation of foldable intraocular lenses in the absence of capsule support
Garry P Condon
Drexel University College of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Ophthalmology 114:1311-8. 2007
..To report visual outcomes and complications of modified McCannel iris suture fixation of small-incision foldable acrylic intraocular lenses (IOLs) for aphakia in the absence of capsule support...
- Evaluation of single-stage adjustable strabismus surgery under conscious sedation
Strabismology Service, Dr R P Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110 029, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 57:121-5. 2009
..To evaluate the feasibility and stability of ocular alignment after single-stage adjustable strabismus surgery (SSASS) performed under topical anesthesia...
- Risk-adapted anastomosis for partial pancreaticoduodenectomy reduces the risk of pancreatic fistula: a pilot study
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine Mannheim, University Medical Center Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, 68135, Mannheim, Germany
World J Surg 34:1579-86. 2010
..In the literature there are no data available on risk-adapted assignment of pancreatogastrostomy (PG) in a high-risk gland. Therefore, an observational pilot study was conducted to address this issue...
- The short adjustable suture
Andrew S Budning
University of Toronto, The Credit Valley Hospital, Toronto, Ont
Can J Ophthalmol 45:359-62. 2010
..To describe a new, adjustable suture technique for strabismus surgery that is safe and effective and allows for adjustment during the postoperative week only when required...
- Single versus double-row repair of the rotator cuff: does double-row repair with improved anatomical and biomechanical characteristics lead to better clinical outcome?
Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery, Campus Virchow, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353, Berlin, Germany
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 18:1718-29. 2010
..The present article therefore provides an overview of the currently available literature on both repair techniques with respect to several anatomical, biomechanical, clinical and structural endpoints...
- The mechanical properties of locking and grasping suture loop configurations in four-strand core suture techniques
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Hand Surg Br 25:548-51. 2000
We have compared the effect of locking and grasping suture loop configurations in four-strand core suture techniques for tendon repair...
- Ultrasound biomicroscopic analysis of iris-sutured foldable posterior chamber intraocular lenses
Juan J Mura
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Ophthalmol 149:245-252.e2. 2010
..To report ultrasound biomicroscopic (UBM) findings of iris-sutured foldable posterior chamber intraocular lenses (PCIOLs)...
- Short tag noose technique for optional and late suture adjustment in strabismus surgery
Bharti R Nihalani
Children s Hospital Boston, 300 Longwood Ave, Fegan 4, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 127:1584-90. 2009
..To present and evaluate a new technique that allows the second-stage suture adjustment in strabismus surgery to be skipped or delayed if the immediate postoperative alignment is satisfactory...
- Definition and grading of anastomotic leakage following anterior resection of the rectum: a proposal by the International Study Group of Rectal Cancer
Nuh N Rahbari
Department of General, Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Surgery 147:339-51. 2010
..The aim of the present article was to propose a definition and severity grading of anastomotic leakage after anterior rectal resection...
- Initial stability of two different adhesives compared to suture repair for acute Achilles tendon rupture--a biomechanical evaluation
Department of Trauma and Hand Surgery, Heinrich Heine University Hospital Dusseldorf, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225, Dusseldorf, Germany
Int Orthop 36:627-32. 2012
..Besides suture repair, operative treatment using adhesives reveals promising results. Our hypothesis was that a gluing technique provides initial stability comparable to sutures...
- Improved ocular alignment with adjustable sutures in adults undergoing strabismus surgery
Monica S Zhang
Department of Ophthalmology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Ophthalmology 119:396-402. 2012
..To assess whether outcomes of strabismus surgery are improved by using the adjustable suture technique and to determine which subgroups of strabismus patients benefit most from the adjustable suture technique...
- Distal pancreatectomy: does the method of closure influence fistula formation?
Maureen K Sheehan
Department of Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Am Surg 68:264-7; discussion 267-8. 2002
The appropriate closure of the pancreatic remnant after distal pancreatectomy is still debated. Suture techniques, stapled closure, and pancreaticoenteric anastomosis all have their supporters...