transjugular intrahepatic portasystemic shunt
Summary: A type of surgical portasystemic shunt to reduce portal hypertension with associated complications of esophageal varices and ascites. It is performed percutaneously through the jugular vein and involves the creation of an intrahepatic shunt between the hepatic vein and portal vein. The channel is maintained by a metallic stent. The procedure can be performed in patients who have failed sclerotherapy and is an additional option to the surgical techniques of portocaval, mesocaval, and splenorenal shunts. It takes one to three hours to perform. (JAMA 1995;273(23):1824-30)
Publications219 found, 100 shown here
- Ten years' follow-up of 472 patients following transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent-shunt insertion at a single centreDhiraj Tripathi
Liver Unit, The Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:9-18. 2004..Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent-shunt (TIPSS) is increasingly used for the management of portal hypertension. We report on 10 years' experience at a single centre...
- Current management of the complications of portal hypertension: variceal bleeding and ascitesNina Dib
Department of Hepato Gastroenterology, University Hospital, and HIFIH Laboratory, Universite d Angers, Angers, France
CMAJ 174:1433-43. 2006..We describe the pathophysiology of portal hypertension and the current management of its complications, with emphasis on the prophylaxis and treatment of variceal bleeding and ascites...
- Improved clinical outcome using polytetrafluoroethylene-coated stents for TIPS: results of a randomized studyChristophe Bureau
Service d Hepato gastro enterologie, Fédération Digestive, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Purpan et U531 Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Toulouse, France
Gastroenterology 126:469-75. 2004..Preliminary experimental and clinical studies suggest that the use of stents covered with polytetrafluoroethylene could tremendously decrease this risk...
- Child-Pugh versus MELD score in predicting survival in patients undergoing transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntB Angermayr
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria
Gut 52:879-85. 2003..The Child-Pugh score (CPS) is well established but several drawbacks have led to development of the model of end stage liver disease (MELD)...
- Patency of stents covered with polytetrafluoroethylene in patients treated by transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts: long-term results of a randomized multicentre studyChristophe Bureau
Federation Digestive Purpan, Service Hepato Gastro Enterologie CHU Toulouse, Toulouse, France
Liver Int 27:742-7. 2007..In conclusion, the improvement in TIPS patency by using covered prostheses is maintained over time with a decreased risk of encephalopathy, while the risk of death was not increased...
- Pathogenesis and treatment of hepatorenal syndromeVicente Arroyo
Liver Unit, Institute of Digestive and Metabolic Diseases, CIBERehd, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Semin Liver Dis 28:81-95. 2008..However, effective treatments of HRS (vasoconstrictors associated with intravenous albumin, transjugular intrahepatic portacaval shunt, albumin dialysis) that can improve survival have recently been introduced...
- The use of E/A ratio as a predictor of outcome in cirrhotic patients treated with transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntRania Nancy Rabie
The Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Am J Gastroenterol 104:2458-66. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess the utility of E/A ratio, an indicator of diastolic dysfunction, to predict ascites clearance and mortality after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent shunt (TIPS) insertion...
- The natural history of parallel transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent shunts using uncovered stent: the role of host-related factorsAhmed Helmy
Department of Liver Transplantation, Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Liver Int 26:572-8. 2006..This study describes the natural history of PS, and uses them as a model to assess the role of host factors in the development of primary shunt insufficiency...
- The role of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) in the management of portal hypertensionLuis Colombato
Hepatic Hemodynamic Section, Liver Unit, Gastroenterology Department, Buenos Aires British Hospital, Buenos Aires School of Medicine, Buenos Aires University, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Clin Gastroenterol 41:S344-51. 2007..Pre-TIPS evaluation taking into account predictors of outcome is mandatory. The improved results achieved with covered-stents might expand the currently accepted recommendations for TIPS use...
- Effect of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt on pulmonary gas exchange in patients with portal hypertension and hepatopulmonary syndromeGraciela Martinez-Palli
Servei d Anestesiologia i Reanimacio Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
World J Gastroenterol 11:6858-62. 2005..To assess the impact of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) on pulmonary gas exchange and to evaluate the use of TIPS for the treatment of hepatopulmonary syndrome ( HPS )...
- Serum bilirubin and early mortality after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts: results of a multivariate analysisDheeraj K Rajan
Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Department of Medical Imaging, Toronto General Hospital University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Vasc Interv Radiol 13:155-61. 2002....
- Treatment of stomal variceal hemorrhage with TIPS: case report and review of the literatureR K Ryu
Section of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Feinberg 4 710, 251 East Huron, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 23:301-3. 2000..Although several treatment options have been reported for this entity we believe that TIPS offers minimally invasive and definitive treatment...
- Diastolic dysfunction is associated with poor survival in patients with cirrhosis with transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntMassimo Cazzaniga
Department of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, Via Morandi 30, 20097 San Donato Milanese, Milano, Italy
Gut 56:869-75. 2007..Accurate prediction of the outcome of patients treated with TIPS is important, because some patients have very short survival. Diastolic dysfunction is frequently observed in patients with cirrhosis...
- MELD score as a predictor of early death in patients undergoing elective transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) proceduresAaron Montgomery
Section of Cardiovascular and Special Interventions, Department of Radiology, The University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio, Mail Code 7880, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX, 78229, USA
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 28:307-12. 2005..To Evaluate the MELD score as a predictor of 30-day mortality in patients undergoing elective TIPS procedures...
- Bleeding ectopic varices--treatment with transjugular intrahepatic porto-systemic shunt (TIPS) and embolisationMarcello Vangeli
Liver Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Unit, Royal Free Hospital and NHS Hampstead Trust, London, UK
J Hepatol 41:560-6. 2004..Bleeding ectopic varices due to cirrhosis can be difficult to manage. We report our experience of uncontrolled bleeding from ectopic varices treated with transjugular intrahepatic porto-systemic shunt (TIPS)...
- Use of the Amplatzer Vascular Plug for embolization of a large retroperitoneal shunt during transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt creation for gastric variceal bleedingJonathan Kessler
Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, 3400 Spruce Street, 1 Silverstein, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 17:135-40. 2006..Two Amplatzer Vascular Plugs and two platinum coils were used to occlude the shunt rapidly and completely...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt for acute variceal bleeding in patients with viral liver cirrhosis: predictors of early mortalityChang Jin Yoon
Department of Radiology and Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Clinical Research Institute, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 774, South Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 185:885-9. 2005..The purpose of our study was to assess the predictors of early mortality after the creation of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts (TIPS) for acute variceal bleeding in patients with viral liver cirrhosis...
- Transjugular intrahepatic porto-systemic shunt and variceal embolisation in the management of bleeding stomal varicesBassam Alkari
Department of Surgery, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9WL, UK
Int J Colorectal Dis 20:457-62. 2005..Bleeding from stomal varices is uncommon. Local measures to control the bleeding offer short-lived control. Our experience with transjugular intrahepatic porto-systemic shunt (TIPS) and variceal embolisation is presented and appraised...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt, mechanical aspiration thrombectomy, and direct thrombolysis in the treatment of acute portal and superior mesenteric vein thrombosisCarlo Ferro
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, San Martino University Hospital, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 30:1070-4. 2007..TIPS, mechanical aspiration thrombectomy, and direct thrombolysis together are promising endovascular techniques for the treatment of symptomatic acute PSMVT...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portasystemic shunt vs surgical shunt in good-risk cirrhotic patients: a case-control comparisonW S Helton
Providence Seattle Medical Center, 500 16th Ave, Seattle, WA 98124, USA
Arch Surg 136:17-20. 2001..surgical shunt is more effective, more durable, and less costly than angiographic shunt (transjugular intrahepatic portasystemic shunt [TIPS]). DESIGN: Retrospective case-control study...
- Stent graft in TIPS: technical and procedural aspectsF Fanelli
Dipartimento di Scienze Radiologiche, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Viale Regina Elena 324, I 00161, Rome, Italy
Radiol Med 111:709-23. 2006..8%. However the use of the stentgraft is correlate with a high rate of hepatic hencefalopathy (46.6 %). In case of hepatic hencefalopathy refractory to the conventional medical therapy, TIPS reduction should be performed...
- Prospective evaluation of a clinical score for 60-day mortality after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent-shunt: Bonn TIPSS early mortality analysisKarl August Brensing
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 14:723-31. 2002..Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent-shunt (TIPSS) is increasingly used to treat complications of portal hypertension, but proven tools for risk assessment of early mortality are lacking...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt versus endoscopic therapy: randomized trials for secondary prophylaxis of variceal bleeding: an updated meta-analysisA K Burroughs
Scand J Gastroenterol 37:249-52. 2002
- Modifications of cardiac function in cirrhotic patients treated with transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS)Manuela Merli
Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 97:142-8. 2002..We investigated cardiac function before and 1, 3, 6, and 12 months after the TIPS procedure in cirrhotic patients...
- Comparison of MELD, Child-Pugh, and Emory model for the prediction of survival in patients undergoing transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntingMichael Schepke
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Am J Gastroenterol 98:1167-74. 2003..We therefore compared the prognostic accuracy of the different models, including the Child-Pugh score, in an unselected cohort of TIPS patients followed long-term...
- Transcaval TIPS in patients with failed revision of occluded previous TIPSC K Seong
Department of Radiology, Kyungpook National University School of Medicine, Daegu, Korea
Korean J Radiol 2:204-9. 2001..To determine the feasibility of transcaval transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) in patients with occluded previous TIPS...
- Differences in long-term survival after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt for refractory ascites and variceal bleedFernando Membreno
Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Medical Branch of Galveston, Texas, USA
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:474-81. 2005..To compare the survival after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) for refractory ascites and variceal bleed, and to identify the factors predictive of survival...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt in Vienna--a decade laterBernhard Angermayr
Department of Internal Medicine IV, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 116:608-13. 2004....
- [Variceal hemorrhage: primary and secondary prophylaxis]T Sauerbruch
Medizinische Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik I, Allgemeine Innere Medizin, Bonn
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:S68-70. 2004
- H-graft portacaval shunts versus TIPS: ten-year follow-up of a randomized trial with comparison to predicted survivalsAlexander S Rosemurgy
Department of Surgery, University of South Florida College of Medicine Tampa, FL 33601, USA
Ann Surg 241:238-46. 2005..To report long-term outcome of patients undergoing prosthetic 8-mm H-graft portacaval shunts (HGPCS) or TIPS and to compare actual with predicted survival data...
- A new era for transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts?Richard R Saxon
San Diego Vascular Institute, Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology, North County Radiology Medical Group, Tri City Medical Center, 4002 Vista Way, Oceanside, California 92056, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 15:217-9. 2004
- Fundal variceal bleeding after correction of portal hypertension in patients with cirrhosisMary E Rinella
Northwestern University Medical School, Division of Hepatology, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 58:122-7. 2003..Methods and Observations: Five patients with cirrhosis evaluated for upper GI hemorrhage from fundal varices underwent upper endoscopy followed by angiography, which documented a spontaneous splenogastrorenal shunt...
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for gastric variceal bleeding: its feasibility compared with transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntYoung Ho Choi
Department of Radiology, Seoul City Boramae Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 4:109-16. 2003..Changes in the Child-Pugh score before and after each procedure in each group were statistically analyzed by means of Wilcoxon's signed rank test...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt in five children with cystic fibrosis: long-term resultsOldrich Pozler
University Hospital, Charles University, Dept of Pediatrics, 500 05 Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Hepatogastroenterology 50:1111-4. 2003..The aim of this study was to report results of TIPS (transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt) in 5 consecutive children with cystic fibrosis and monitor long-term follow-up results...
- Prognostic impact of renal impairment and sodium imbalance in patients undergoing transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting for the prevention of variceal rebleedingMichael Schepke
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Digestion 67:146-53. 2003....
- Doppler evaluation of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntsWilliam D Middleton
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis 63110, Missouri, USA
Ultrasound Q 19:56-70; quiz 108 - 10. 2003..Many studies have confirmed that Doppler sonography is a valuable, noninvasive means of detecting stent malfunction, although the criteria vary somewhat at different institutions...
- Complications of cirrhosisChristian Mendez
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA
J Ky Med Assoc 101:403-14. 2003
- Doppler ultrasound evaluation of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt function: pitfalls and artifactsRonald H Wachsberg
Department of Radiology, University Hospital, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Ultrasound Q 19:139-48. 2003..In this article the author discusses and illustrates the spectrum of pitfalls that may be encountered during Doppler evaluation of TIPS function...
- Portal hypertension: from Eck's fistula to TIPSStuart J Knechtle
Division of Transplantation, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, WI, USA
Ann Surg 238:S49-55. 2003..A multidisciplinary, integrated approach to this clinical problem is needed to assure optimal outcomes...
- Management of gastrointestinal bleeding in patients with cirrhosis of the liverJaime Bosch
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Semin Hematol 41:8-12. 2004..Specific sections on gastric varices and portal hypertensive gastropathy are included...
- Selection criteria for patients undergoing transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt procedures: current statusHector Ferral
Department of Radiology, Rush University Medical Center, 1725 West Harrison Street, Suite 456, Chicago, Illinois 60612 3833, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:449-55. 2005....
- [What's left for surgical treatment of portal hypertension in cirrhosis patients?]François René Pruvot
Service de chirurgie digestive et transplantation, Hopital Huriez, CHU, Lille
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 27:1013-20. 2003
- [Therapy of complications of hepatic cirrhosis]U Tox
Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie und Hepatologie, Universitat zu Koln, Koln
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:727-33. 2005..Hepatorenal syndrome is characterized by a poor prognosis. Therefore, liver transplantation should be considered in appropriate patients...
- [Rupture of esophageal varices]Jean Pierre Vinel
Hépato Gastroentérologie, Fédération Digestive, CHU Purpan INSERM U531, 31059 Toulouse
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 30:875-9. 2006
- Cirrhotic portal hypertension: current and future medical therapy for primary and secondary prevention of variceal bleedingW Laleman
Department of Hepatology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, K U Leuven, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Minerva Med 97:325-45. 2006..This review covers current and future developments in the treatment of PHT with regard to primary and secondary prophylaxis...
- The use of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent shunt in the management of acute oesophageal variceal haemorrhageNorma C McAvoy
Department of Hepatology and Scottish Liver Transplant Unit, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:1135-41. 2006..A management algorithm is proposed. The timing of intervention is emphasized and the importance of admission to specialized centres. Regional protocols are probably essential for the latter to be organized effectively...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt--role in treating intractable variceal bleeding, ascites, and hepatic hydrothoraxJeanne M LaBerge
Division of Interventional Radiology, Department of Radiology, University of California San Francisco, M 361 505 Parnassus Avenue, Box 0628, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Clin Liver Dis 10:583-98, ix. 2006....
- Safety and efficacy of TIPS in patients with hemophilia and cirrhosisJoshua P Beirne
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Ave, Box 0628, San Francisco, CA 94143 0628, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 18:309-12. 2007..Outcomes after TIPS placement appear to be comparable to those in patients without hemophilia...
- [Prevention and treatment of esophageal variceal bleeding]Zsuzsanna Vitalis
Orv Hetil 147:2455-63. 2006..If necessary, drug administration should be complemented with varix ligation or sclerotherapy. In case of inefficiency TIPS implantation or liver transplantation must be considered...
- Prevention of recurrent esophageal variceal hemorrhage: review and current recommendationsDavid Kravetz
San Diego Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of California at San Diego, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 41:S318-22. 2007..The only difference observed was the higher rate of reintervention observed in the TIPS group to maintain his patency...
- Emergent treatment of variceal bleeding in two infantsA Park
Vascular and Interventional Radiology, University of Michigan Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Acta Radiol 49:951-4. 2008..Following percutaneous transhepatic embolization of the varices, successful bleeding control was achieved in both patients...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent shunt (TIPSS) modification in the management of post-TIPSS refractory hepatic encephalopathyN Kochar
Department of Hepatology, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, 51 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4SU, UK
Gut 55:1617-23. 2006..In 5%, this can be refractory to optimal medical treatment and may require shunt modification. The efficacy of shunt modification has been poorly studied...
- A patient with portal hypertension and blindness after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntBeate Appenrodt
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:447-9. 2006..The present case report shows a very rare but important complication after TIPS implantation. To avoid this complication it is recommended to perform echocardiography before all TIPS placements...
- Pharmacologic therapy for gastrointestinal bleeding due to portal hypertension and esophageal varicesDon C Rockey
Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 8887, USA
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 8:7-13. 2006..For primary and secondary prevention of esophageal variceal hemorrhage, beta-blockers remain the mainstay therapy...
- Comparison of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt dysfunction in PTFE-covered stent-grafts versus bare stentsJosé Barrio
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, C Dr Esquerdo 46, Madrid, 28007, Spain
Eur J Radiol 55:120-4. 2005....
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts: adjunctive embolotherapy of gastroesophageal collateral vessels in the prevention of variceal rebleedingI Kaare Tesdal
Department of Clinical Radiology, Universitatsklinikum Mannheim, Germany
Radiology 236:360-7. 2005....
- [Surgical treatment of portal hypertension]M Wolff
Klinik und Poliklinik für Allgemein, Viszeral, Thorax und Gefasschirurgie, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universitat, Bonn
Zentralbl Chir 130:238-45. 2005..Gastroesophageal devascularization and other direct variceal ablative procedures should be restricted to treat endoscopic therapy failures without shuntable portal tributaries...
- [Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent shunt: indications and long-term outcome]M Wettstein
Gastroenterologie, Universitatsklinikum Dusseldorf
Zentralbl Chir 130:246-9. 2005..Major complications are the manifestation or worsening of hepatic encephalopathy. Recent studies using PTFE covered stents have shown lower stenosis rates and a trend towards prolonged survival...
- Current management of portal hypertensionAndrew S Wright
Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 9:992-1005. 2005..Recommendations and a treatment algorithm are provided, taking into account both the etiology and the manifestations of portal hypertension...
- Improved clinical outcome with transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent-shunt utilizing polytetrafluoroethylene-covered stentsDhiraj Tripathi
Department of Hepatology, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:225-32. 2006..Newer covered stents appear to have improved patency. This large study aimed to assess the shunt function and clinical efficacy of polytetrafluoroethylene-covered stents in a single centre...
- [Budd-Chiari syndrome in a patient with paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria]Z Balta
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik I, Allgemeine Innere Medizin, Bonn
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:2257-60. 2005..One year before the patient underwent radical retropubic prostatectomy for a localized prostate cancer. Shortly after this intervention he developed ascites...
- Usefulness of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt in the management of bleeding ectopic varices in cirrhotic patientsV Vidal
Department of Radiology, CHUM Saint Luc Hospital, 1058, Saint Denis Street, Montreal, QC, H2X 3J4, Canada
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 29:216-9. 2006..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) in the control of bleeding from ectopic varices...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt versus H-graft portacaval shunt in the management of bleeding varices: a cost-benefit analysisMarcelo Enne
Ann Surg 243:139-40; author reply 140. 2006
- [Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS). Therapeutic alternative in refractory ascites and varicose bleeding]Marie Olin
Helsingborgs lasarett, Helsingborg
Lakartidningen 105:2490-4. 2008
- Management of variceal bleedingRachael Harry
Institute of Liver Studies, Kings College Hospital, London, England, UK
Curr Opin Crit Care 8:164-70. 2002..Secondary prophylaxis to prevent rebleeding is often instituted in the ICU and is vital to prevent recurrence of this life-threatening complication...
- [TIPS - Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt. A review]G Carreiro
, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro-UFRJ-Hospital Clementino Fraga Filho, Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Arq Gastroenterol 38:69-80. 2001..The main early complications of TIPS using are related to the insertion site and hepatic encephalopathy and the stent occlusion is the chief late complication...
- Impact of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent-shunt for secondary prophylaxis of oesophageal variceal haemorrhage: a single-centre study over an 11-year periodRajiv Jalan
Liver Unit, Royal Infirmary Edinburg, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 14:615-26. 2002....
- Modern management of oesophageal varicesP J Gow
Department of Gastroenterology, Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, Headley Way, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Postgrad Med J 77:75-81. 2001..This article reviews the literature regarding therapies available in the treatment of haemorrhage from oesophageal varices and provides guidelines to aid the physicians in clinical decision making...
- [TIPS--transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt. Experiences from a recently started center]Lone Bording Astrup
Arhus Universitetshospital, Arhus Kommunehospital, medicinsk afdeling V og radiologisk afdeling R
Ugeskr Laeger 165:443-6. 2003..Seven out of 9 patients with refractory ascites no longer required paracentesis after six months. The cumulative survival for the whole group was 81% after one year and 62% after three years...
- [Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) for the treatment of complications of portal hypertension in patients with liver cirrhosis]Henning Grønbaek
Arhus Universitetshospital, Arhus Kommunehospital, medicinsk afdeling V og radiologisk afdeling R
Ugeskr Laeger 165:439-42. 2003..Absolute and relative contraindications are severe hepatic failure, a history of hepatic encephalopathy, infections, respiratory failure, and non-hepatic renal insufficiency...
- [TIPSS]J C Garcia-Pagan
Nefrologia 22:47-51. 2002
- Long-term results and quality of life in patients treated with transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntsZhen W Zhuang
Department of Radiology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, One Medical Center Dr, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 179:1597-603. 2002..The purpose of our study was to determine long-term survival, shunt patency, and quality of life in patients after creation of a transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS)...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt in the treatment of portal hypertension using memotherm stents: a prospective multicenter studyDirk Domagk
Department of Medicine B, University of Muenster, Muenster, Germany
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 25:506-12. 2002....
- Liver transplantation in patients with liver cirrhosis and esophageal bleedingChristian Hillert
Transplantation Center, Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery and Transplantation, University Hospital Hamburg, Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 388:150-4. 2003..Uncontrolled hemorrhage from esophageal varices is one of the most devastating complications of portal hypertension in patients with advanced cirrhosis...
- Analysis of Model for End-Stage Liver Disease (MELD) score in a liver transplantation waiting listB H Ferraz-Neto
Figado HIAE, Albert Einstein Jewish Hospital, Av Albert Einstein 627 701, 05652 900 São Paulo SP, Brazil
Transplant Proc 39:2511-3. 2007..The aim of this study was to analyze the MELD scores of patients on the liver waiting list for comparisons between transplanted patients...
- Treatment of gastropathy and gastric antral vascular ectasia in patients with portal hypertensionCristina Ripoll
Guadalupe Garcia Tsao, MD Digestive Diseases Section, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street 1080 LMP, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol 10:483-94. 2007..Preliminary data suggest that cryotherapy may be a reasonable option for diffuse GAVE lesions. Neither beta-blockers nor TIPS reduces the bleeding risk in patients with GAVE and thus should not be used in this setting...
- Midodrine and octreotide in treatment of cirrhosis-related hemodynamic complicationsRakhi Karwa
Harrison School of Pharmacy, Auburn University, AL, USA
Ann Pharmacother 43:692-9. 2009..To review studies evaluating the use of midodrine and octreotide in hemodynamic complications of cirrhosis, including ascites and hepatorenal syndrome...
- Radiation doses in interventional radiology procedures: the RAD-IR study: part II: skin doseDonald L Miller
Department of Radiology, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, MD 20889 5600, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 14:977-90. 2003....
- Comparison of hepatic damage from direct injections of iodinated contrast agents and carbon dioxideW C Culp
University of Florida Veterans Administration Medical Center, Gainesville, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 10:1265-70. 1999....
- [Use of direct portal vein puncture portography with modified TIPS treatment in patients with portal hypertension and gastro-esophageal varices bleeding]Chang Qing Li
Department of Radiology, Ditan Hospital, Beijing 100011, China
Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi 13:403-6. 2005..To explore a better procedure for transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) in order to improve its safety and to extend its indications...
- Endotipsitis-persistent infection of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt: pathogenesis, clinical features and managementMeir Mizrahi
Liver Unit, Division of Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Liver Int 30:175-83. 2010..The aim of this review was to describe the definition, clinical course, diagnosis, pathogenesis, microbiology, treatment and outcome of endotipsitis...
- Early and long-term clinical and radiological follow-up results of expanded-polytetrafluoroethylene-covered stent-grafts for transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt proceduresGeert Maleux
Department of Radiology, University Hospitals Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, Leuven, Belgium
Eur Radiol 14:1842-50. 2004..The incidence of TIPS-induced hepatic encephalopathy is acceptable...
- The use of carbon dioxide wedged hepatic venography to identify the portal vein: comparison with direct catheter portography with iodinated contrast medium and analysis of predictive factors influencing level of opacificationGeert Maleux
Department of Radiology, University Hospitals Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Vasc Interv Radiol 17:1771-9. 2006..Additionally, the predictive value of several parameters that potentially influence the level of portal vein opacification by CO(2) WHV was analyzed...
- Transvenous extrahepatic portacaval shunt: feasibility study in a Swine modelMichael J Wallace
John S Dunn Center for Radiological Sciences, Section of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030 4009, USA
Radiology 228:119-25. 2003....
- [First experience with transjugular intrahepatic porto-systemic shunt (TIPS)]Istvan Lazar
B A Z Megyei Kórház Röntgen Intézet, 3501 Miskolc, Pf 188
Magy Seb 55:9-15. 2002..Our short follow-up time (average 6 months, longest 21 months) does not allow correct comparison with the 2-years survival of severe cirrhotic patients, but according to the literature TIPS does not change it significantly...
- Ascites and spontaneous bacterial peritonitis: an Asian perspectiveJung Min Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science, Seoul, South Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:1494-503. 2009..Further study, particularly in Asia where hepatitis B virus-related cirrhosis is predominant, is warranted to improve the clinical outcome...
- [The retrospective study of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt with covered or uncovered stents in patients with portal hypertension]Xing Jiang Wu
Department of General Surgery, Nanjing Jin Ling Hospital, Nanjing 210002, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 48:83-7. 2010..To retrospectively compare the clinical outcome in patients with portal hypertension treated with transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) using Fluency stent-graft (PTFE-covered stents) or bare stents...
- A comparison of paracentesis and transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting in patients with ascitesM Rossle
Medizinische Klinik II, Albrecht Ludwigs Universität, Department of Gastroenterology, Freiburg, Germany
N Engl J Med 342:1701-7. 2000..However, the benefit of this procedure as compared with that of large-volume paracentesis is uncertain...
- Polytetrafluoroethylene-covered nitinol stent-graft for transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt creation: 3-year experiencePlinio Rossi
Department of Radiological Sciences, Policlinico Umberto I, Viale Regina Elena 324, 00161 Rome, Italy
Radiology 231:820-30. 2004....
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt: current statusThomas D Boyer
Department of Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, 85724, USA
Gastroenterology 124:1700-10. 2003..Despite the apparent efficacy of TIPS in many of these situations, its use should be limited to salvage therapy pending the publication of controlled trials showing it is a better treatment than other forms of therapy...
- Hepatorenal syndromePere Gines
Liver Unit, Hospital Cli nic, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi Sunyer, University of Barcelona School of Medicine, Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
Lancet 362:1819-27. 2003..Although these findings need to be confirmed, these two strategies represent innovative approaches to lower the frequency of HRS in clinical practice...
- Influence of portal pressure change on intestinal permeability in patients with portal hypertensionWei Hua Xu
Department of General Surgery, Jinling Hospital, Nanjing 210002, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 1:510-4. 2002..To investigate intestinal permeability in patients with portal hypertension and its relationship with portal pressure...
- Right atrial pressure is not adequate to calculate portal pressure gradient in cirrhosis: a clinical-hemodynamic correlation studyVincenzo La Mura
Hepatic Hemodynamic Laboratory, Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona and Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Hepáticas y Digestivas CIBERehd, Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 51:2108-16. 2010..In our TIPS patients, 20% had a PCG < or =12 mm Hg and a PAG >12 mm Hg, which may have induced unnecessary overdilation of the TIPS...
- Main portal vein access in transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt procedures: use of three-dimensional ultrasound to ensure safetySteven C Rose
Department of Radiology, University of California San Diego Medical Center, 200 West Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92103 8756, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 13:267-73. 2002....
- Two-stage total hepatectomy and liver transplantation for acute deterioration of chronic liver disease: a new bridge to transplantationMichael J Guirl
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Liver Transpl 10:564-70. 2004..Two-stage total hepatectomy and liver transplantation may be a life-saving procedure in highly selected cirrhotic patients with acute hepatic decompensation and multiorgan dysfunction...
- TIPS-related hepatic encephalopathy: management options with novel endovascular techniquesDavid C Madoff
Division of Diagnostic Imaging, Section of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Unit 325, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
Radiographics 24:21-36; discussion 36-7. 2004..Further research is necessary to improve our understanding of TIPS-related hepatic encephalopathy so that newer, less invasive and safer procedures can be developed to treat this difficult clinical problem...
- Improved quality of life in patients with refractory or recidivant ascites after insertion of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntsVeit Gulberg
Department of Medicine II, Klinikum of the University of Munich Grosshadern, Germany
Digestion 66:127-30. 2002..Therefore, the aim of this study was to determine the effect of TIPS on the QOL in cirrhotic patients with refractory or recidivant ascites...
- Use of a tunnelled pleural catheter for the management of refractory hepatic hydrothorax: a new therapeutic optionPascale Mercky
Hopital de la Conception, Marseille, France
Respiration 80:348-52. 2010..Herein, we present this novel potential indication of the indwelling pleural catheter and illustrate the successful clinical outcome...
- Surgical management of anatomical variations of the right lobe in living donor liver transplantationA Marcos
Division of Transplantation, Department of Surgery, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0057, USA
Ann Surg 231:824-31. 2000..To review the anatomical variations of the right lobe encountered in 40 living liver donors, describe the surgical management of these variations, and summarize the results of these procedures...
- Use of splenic artery embolization to relieve tense ascites following liver transplantation in a patient with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuriaCharissa Y Chang
Recanati Miller Transplant Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Liver Transpl 13:1532-7. 2007....
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) versus endoscopic variceal ligation in the prevention of variceal rebleeding in patients with cirrhosis: a randomised trialG Pomier-Layrargues
Liver Unit, Hopital Saint Luc, CHUM and Université de Montréal, 164, East René Lévesque Boulevard, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2X 1P1
Gut 48:390-6. 2001..In this study we compared the two year survival and rebleeding rates in cirrhotic patients treated by either variceal band ligation or TIPS for variceal bleeding...
- 3D Image Guided Endovascular SurgeryElizabeth Bullitt; Fiscal Year: 2006..Indeed, the methods to be developed under this proposal have the potential to change how endovascular procedures are performed throughout the body. ..
- FACTORS IN THE PREVENTION OF TOXIC LIVER INJURYThomas Boyer; Fiscal Year: 2008..The studies will clarify why expression of certain proteins fall during the acute phase response. ..
- MULTICENTER RANDOMIZED TRIAL OF DSRS VERSUS TIPSJohn Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2004..The extension of this trial, will provide the most comprehensive and longest follow-up for these two shunt procedures for control of variceal bleeding. ..
- Biliary Microlithiasis in Alcohol Induced PancreatitisArun Sanyal; Fiscal Year: 2007..The long-term goal is to use data from this R21 proposal to develop a RO1 proposal about a large scale phase III clinical trial of UDCA for alcohol-induced pancreatitis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The CNS and cirrhosis:psychobiological approachesCharmaine Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2006..Additionally, the proposed studies will be guided by a team of mentors and sponsors and supplemented by a didactic curriculum, all to lay the foundation for eventual independent clinical investigator status. ..
- HCV-HIV Coinfection: Impact of Immune DysfunctionRichard Sterling; Fiscal Year: 2007..The K-23 award will protect this candidates time and help him mature into a senior investigator in Hepatology. ..
- Relationship of metabolic abnormalities to hepatic steatosis in HIVRichard Sterling; Fiscal Year: 2008..If our hypothesis is correct, this work could result in a dramatic change in the long-term care of the over 1 million HIV infected individuals in the US. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Empirical Determination of Sufficiently Similiar Complex MixturesChris Gennings; Fiscal Year: 2009..The funded project will further develop/characterize a method of determining sufficient similarity in dose-responsiveness for mixtures with many components. ..