Summary: A procedure in which total right atrial or total caval blood flow is channeled directly into the pulmonary artery or into a small right ventricle that serves only as a conduit. The principal congenital malformations for which this operation is useful are TRICUSPID ATRESIA and single ventricle with pulmonary stenosis.
Publications265 found, 100 shown here
- Outcome of 200 patients after an extracardiac Fontan procedureSoo Jin Kim
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Sejong General Hospital, Sejong Heart Institute, Bucheon, Korea
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:108-16. 2008Despite the known advantages of the extracardiac conduit Fontan procedure, the long-term outcomes related to the longevity of the conduit and anticoagulation therapy have not been determined...
- Results of the modified Fontan procedure are not related to age at operationCarlo Pace Napoleone
Pediatric and Adult Congenital Cardiac Surgery Unit, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna Medical School, Bologna, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 37:645-50. 2010The modified Fontan procedure represents the final stage for the palliation of hearts with single-ventricle physiology...
- Nonlinear power loss during exercise in single-ventricle patients after the Fontan: insights from computational fluid dynamicsKevin K Whitehead
Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Division of Cardiology, Main Hospital, 2 Floor, 34 and Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Circulation 116:I165-71. 2007..PL through the TCPC may play a role in single-ventricle physiology and is a function of cardiac output. We hypothesized that PL through the TCPC increases significantly under exercise flow conditions...
- The Fontan circulation: who controls cardiac output?Marc Gewillig
Paediatric and Congenital Cardiology, University Hospitals Leuven, Belgium
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 10:428-33. 2010..A conceptual model of the determinants of cardiac output in Fontan patients is presented...
- Effects of exercise and respiration on blood flow in total cavopulmonary connection: a real-time magnetic resonance flow studyV E Hjortdal
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Skejby Hospital, Aarhus University Hospital, DK 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Circulation 108:1227-31. 2003..Little is known about blood flow and its relationship to respiration during exercise in patients with total cavopulmonary connection (TCPC)...
- Impact of oral sildenafil on exercise performance in children and young adults after the fontan operation: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trialDavid J Goldberg
Division of Cardiology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 34th and Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Circulation 123:1185-93. 2011..A medication capable of decreasing pulmonary vascular resistance should allow improved cardiac filling and improved exercise capacity...
- Functional health status of adolescents after the Fontan procedure -- comparison with their siblingsCedric Manlhiot
Division of Cardiology, Labatt Family Heart Centre, Toronto, Canada
Can J Cardiol 25:e294-300. 2009Studies have suggested that patients who have undergone the Fontan procedure experience lower functional health status and diminished exercise capacity compared with other children.
- Bidirectional Glenn procedure improves the mechanical efficiency of a total cavopulmonary connection in high-risk fontan candidatesY Tanoue
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery and Pediatric Cardiology, Kyushu Kosei Nenkin Hospital, Kitakyushu, Japan
Circulation 103:2176-80. 2001..The exact mechanism of this procedure, however, is still poorly understood. We hypothesized that a volume reduction with BDG improved ventricular contractility, thereby optimizing mechanical efficiency after TCPC...
- Hemodynamic energy dissipation in the cardiovascular system: generalized theoretical analysis on disease statesLakshmi P Dasi
Wallace H Coulter School of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, Room 2119, U A Whitaker Building, 313 Ferst Drive, Atlanta, GA 30332 0535, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 37:661-73. 2009..New indices allowing disease-specific subject-to-subject comparisons and disease-to-disease hemodynamic evaluation (quantifying the hemodynamic severity of one vascular disease type to the other) are presented based on this formalism...
- Aortopulmonary collaterals after bidirectional cavopulmonary connection or Fontan completion: quantification with MRILars Grosse-Wortmann
The Labatt Family Heart Center and the Department of Diagnostic Imaging, The Hospital for Sick Children, The University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 2:219-25. 2009..We aimed to quantify APC flow after bidirectional cavopulmonary connections and Fontan completions, using phase-contrast MRI, and to identify risk factors for the development of APCs...
- Plastic bronchitis occurring late after the Fontan procedure: treatment with aerosolized urokinaseM W Quasney
Department of Pediatrics, Crippled Children s Foundation Research Center, Memphis, TN 38103, USA
Crit Care Med 28:2107-11. 2000To describe the use of aerosolized urokinase in a patient with plastic bronchitis after a Fontan procedure.
- The failing Fontan: options for surgical therapyC B Huddleston
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis Children s Hospital, St Louis, MO, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 28:472-6. 2007The Fontan procedure has been a significant contribution to the therapeutic armamentarium of congenital heart surgeons for the treatment of single ventricle anomalies. However, it has its limitations...
- Thrombus formation after the Fontan operationP D Coon
Cardiac Center at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 71:1990-4. 2001..Our study suggests that thrombus formation is inherent to the physiology after Fontan operation and is not related to the type of modification performed...
- Ventricular energetics after the Fontan operation: contractility-afterload mismatchGabor Szabo
Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 125:1061-9. 2003..The present study investigated cardiac performance after the Fontan operation by using ventricular-vascular coupling framework analysis...
- Long-term survival, modes of death, and predictors of mortality in patients with Fontan surgeryPaul Khairy
Boston Adult Congenital Heart Service, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Circulation 117:85-92. 2008..To better define determinants of mortality in patients with univentricular physiology, a database registry was created of patients born in 1985 or earlier with Fontan surgery who were followed up at Children's Hospital Boston...
- The Fontan procedure: contemporary techniques have improved long-term outcomesYves d'Udekem
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Royal Children s Hopital, Flemington Road, Parkville, Melbourne 3052, Victoria Australia
Circulation 116:I157-64. 2007To determine whether patients undergoing the lateral tunnel and extracardiac conduit modifications of the Fontan procedure have better outcomes than patients undergoing a classical atriopulmonary connection.
- Univentricular heartPaul Khairy
Adult Congenital Heart Center, Montreal Heart Institute, 5000 Belanger St, Montreal, Quebec, H1T 1C8, Canada
Circulation 115:800-12. 2007..Although the present report touches on issues applicable to neonates and children with univentricular hearts, the focus is on information of interest and relevance to the adult cardiologist...
- Computational fluid dynamics in the evaluation of hemodynamic performance of cavopulmonary connections after the Norwood procedure for hypoplastic left heart syndromeEdward L Bove
Section of Cardiac Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 126:1040-7. 2003..The purpose of this study was to compare hydraulic performance between the hemi-Fontan and bidirectional Glenn procedures, as well as the various types of completion Fontan operations...
- Angiogenic proteins in the lungs of children after cavopulmonary anastomosisS L Starnes
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, Wash, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 122:518-23. 2001....
- Coagulation abnormalities in patients with single-ventricle physiology precede the Fontan procedureKirsten C Odegard
Department of Anesthesia, Division of Hematology, Children s Hospital, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 123:459-65. 2002..A hypercoagulable state with deficiencies in proteins C and S has been implicated. Using age-matched control subjects, we evaluated whether an altered coagulation state is present earlier in the course of staged single-ventricle repair...
- Pregnancy after undergoing the Fontan procedure for a double outlet right ventricle: report of a caseMasayoshi Ito
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Japan
Surg Today 32:63-5. 2002..woman who had a successful pregnancy after the repair of a double outlet right ventricle using the Fontan procedure. Although the number of reported patients is small, women who have good hemodynamic results after the ..
- Exercise capacity and impact of exercise training in patients after a Fontan procedure: a reviewPatrice Brassard
Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie, Hopital Laval, Universite Laval, Sainte Foy, Quebec
Can J Cardiol 22:489-95. 2006After a successful Fontan procedure, children and adolescents should improve their exercise capacity. However, several studies have shown that these children have a reduced maximal oxygen consumption compared with healthy children...
- Impaired systemic ventricular relaxation affects postoperative short-term outcome in Fontan patientsWilliam L Border
Division of Cardiology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 126:1760-4. 2003..This study sought to examine whether impaired preoperative systemic ventricular relaxation, expressed as the time constant of isovolumic relaxation (tau), affects short-term postoperative outcome in Fontan patients...
- Optimal conduit size of the extracardiac Fontan operation based on energy loss and flow stagnationKeiichi Itatani
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 88:565-72; discussion 572-3. 2009..Our objective was to reveal the physiologic effects of respiration and exercise using numerical models, based on the energy loss and flow stagnation, and to determine optimal conduit size...
- Efficiency differences in computational simulations of the total cavo-pulmonary circulation with and without compliant vessel wallsWendell Orlando
Northwest Research Associates, Inc, Colorado Research Associates Division, 3380 Mitchell Lane, Boulder, CO 80301, USA
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 81:220-7. 2006..The total cavo-pulmonary connection (TCPC) is the most popular variant of the Fontan procedure. The objective of the study was to quantify and compare the efficiency of numerical models of the TCPC with ..
- Peripheral vascular adaptation and orthostatic tolerance in Fontan physiologyUsha S Krishnan
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Circulation 120:1775-83. 2009..We hypothesized that chronically increased systemic venous pressures lead to adaptive changes in regional and peripheral vessels to maintain cardiac output, especially when patients are upright...
- Appropriate additional pulmonary blood flow at the bidirectional Glenn procedure is useful for completion of total cavopulmonary connectionMasahiro Yoshida
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Kobe Childre s Hospital, Kobe, Hyogo, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 80:976-81. 2005..We assessed our experiences to clarify the effects of controlled additional pulmonary blood flow on outcomes after BDG...
- Midterm to long-term outcome of total cavopulmonary connection in high-risk adult candidatesYasuhiro Fujii
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmaceutical Science, Okayama City, Okayama, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 87:562-70; discussion 570. 2009..Adult patients who do not fulfill the classical Fontan criteria now undergo total cavopulmonary connection (TCPC). However, limited information is available on the results for high-risk adult TCPC...
- Flow during exercise in the total cavopulmonary connection measured by magnetic resonance velocity mappingE M Pedersen
Department of Cardiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Heart 87:554-8. 2002..To measure caval and pulmonary flows at rest and immediately after exercise in patients with total cavopulmonary connection (TCPC)...
- Intermediate-term outcome following the fontan operation: a survival, functional and risk-factor analysisNelson Alphonso
Department of Congenital Heart Disease, Guy s Hospital, Guy s and St Thomas Hospitals NHS Trust, St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RT, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 28:529-35. 2005To investigate survival and risk factors influencing intermediate outcome after the Fontan procedure.
- Ventricular diastolic stiffness predicts perioperative morbidity and duration of pleural effusions after the Fontan operationCara A Garofalo
Department of Pediatrics, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Circulation 114:I56-61. 2006..We hypothesized that ventricular stiffness affects Fontan morbidity, particularly duration of pleural effusions...
- Protein-losing enteropathy after fontan operation: investigations into possible pathophysiologic mechanismsAdam M Ostrow
The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:695-700. 2006....
- A cross-sectional study of exercise performance during the first 2 decades of life after the Fontan operationStephen M Paridon
The University of Pennsylvania, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 52:99-107. 2008..The aim of this study was to describe exercise performance during the first 2 decades of life in Fontan survivors by a cross-sectional study and to identify factors that influence exercise performance...
- Hepatic changes in the failing Fontan circulationChristoph H Kiesewetter
Southampton General Hospital, University Hospitals Southampton, Southampton, UK
Heart 93:579-84. 2007..The failing Fontan circulation is associated with hepatic impairment. The nature of this liver injury is poorly defined...
- Transthoracic percutaneous access for electroanatomic mapping and catheter ablation of atrial tachycardia in patients with a lateral tunnel FontanRodrigo A Nehgme
Nemours Cardiac Center A I duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Delaware, USA
Heart Rhythm 3:37-43. 2006..The incidence of atrial tachycardia following Fontan surgery is high, but access to the pulmonary venous atrium, a frequent site of arrhythmia origin, is limited...
- Clinical outcome of patients 20 years after Fontan operation--effect of fenestration on late morbidityMasamichi Ono
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:923-9. 2006..This retrospective study evaluates the late outcome in patients with Fontan circulation...
- Comparison of noncontact and electroanatomic mapping to identify scar and arrhythmia late after the Fontan procedureDominic J Abrams
Department of Cardiac Electrophysiology, St Bartholomew s Hospital, London, EC1A 7BE, United Kingdom
Circulation 115:1738-46. 2007The right atrium late after the Fontan procedure is characterized by multiple complex arrhythmia circuits...
- Laboratory measures of exercise capacity and ventricular characteristics and function are weakly associated with functional health status after Fontan procedureBrian W McCrindle
Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X8
Circulation 121:34-42. 2010Patients after the Fontan procedure are at risk for suboptimal functional health status, and associations with laboratory measures are important for planning interventions and outcome measures for clinical trials.
- Comparing pre- and post-operative Fontan hemodynamic simulations: implications for the reliability of surgical planningChristopher M Haggerty
Wallace H Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, 313 Ferst Drive, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 40:2639-51. 2012..Computational fluid dynamics (CFD)-based surgical planning was used to model the Fontan procedure for four patients prior to surgery...
- Impact of the evolution of the Fontan operation on early and late mortality: a single-center experience of 405 patients over 3 decadesHideo Ohuchi
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Center, Osaka, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 92:1457-66. 2011..Postoperative mortality has decreased in patients undergoing the Fontan operation, and the determinants of such mortality may also have changed significantly...
- Superior hydrodynamics of a modified cavopulmonary connection for the Norwood operationH H Sievers
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Medical University of Lubeck, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 65:1741-5. 1998..Our hypothesis was that a modification of the standard Norwood variant of cavopulmonary connection with an extended anastomosis would improve hydrodynamics...
- Time-resolved three-dimensional magnetic resonance velocity mapping of cardiovascular flow paths in volunteers and patients with Fontan circulationMichael Markl
Department of Radiology, Medical Physics, University Hospital Freiburg, Breisacher Str 60a, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 39:206-12. 2011..To apply flow-sensitive magnetic resonance imaging for the evaluation of whole-heart flow characteristics in healthy volunteers and patients with Fontan circulation...
- Plastic bronchitis developing 5 years after Fontan procedure in a girl with Kartagener's syndromeTomohiro Nawa
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Hokkaido Medical Center for Child Health and Rehabilitation, Sapporo, Japan
Pediatr Cardiol 33:846-9. 2012Although rare, plastic bronchitis (PB) is an important early complication after Fontan procedure. Kartagener's syndrome is characterized by mucociliary dysfunction of the respiratory tract and has a triad of features, including situs ..
- Factors associated with serum brain natriuretic peptide levels after the Fontan procedureAndrew M Atz
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Congenit Heart Dis 6:313-21. 2011Although a useful marker of heart failure in adults, the utility of brain natriuretic peptide concentration (BNP) for children after the Fontan procedure is not well studied.
- The safety and effects of bosentan in patients with a Fontan circulationSarah E Bowater
University Hospital Birmingham Foundation NHS Trust, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Congenit Heart Dis 7:243-9. 2012....
- Evolving electroanatomic substrate and intra-atrial reentrant tachycardia late after Fontan surgerySing Chien Yap
Division of Cardiology, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 23:339-45. 2012..The prevalence of intra-atrial reentrant tachycardia (IART) increases with age in Fontan patients. This study aimed to characterize the atrial electroanatomic substrate for IART late after Fontan surgery...
- Effects of respiration and gravity on infradiaphragmatic venous flow in normal and Fontan patientsT Y Hsia
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, London, UK
Circulation 102:III148-53. 2000..In the Fontan circulation, pulmonary and systemic vascular resistances are in series. The implications of this unique arrangement on infradiaphragmatic venous physiology are poorly understood...
- A new multiparameter approach to computational simulation for Fontan assessment and redesignAlison L Marsden
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093 0411, USA
Congenit Heart Dis 5:104-17. 2010..We present a multi-parameter approach to Fontan modeling that establishes a platform for clinical decision making and comprehensive evaluation of proposed interventions...
- Enhanced physiology for submaximal exercise in children after the fontan procedureLaura Banks
Division of Cardiology, Labatt Family Heart Centre, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Sci Sports Exerc 45:615-21. 2013After the Fontan procedure, children exhibit reduced peak exercise capacity, yet their submaximal exercise response remains unclear...
- The lateral tunnel Fontan procedure for hypoplastic left heart syndrome: results of 100 consecutive patientsJ C Hirsch
Section of Cardiac Surgery, Division of Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgery, University of Michigan School of Medicine, 1500 E Medical Center Drive, Mott F7380, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0223, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 28:426-32. 2007The Fontan procedure for hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS) is well established. Multiple surgical techniques including extracardiac conduits and autologous tissue connections have been developed...
- The impact of ventricular morphology on midterm outcome following completion total cavopulmonary connectionSimon P McGuirk
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Diana, Princess of Wales Children s Hospital, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham B4 6NH, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 24:37-46. 2003..This study was undertaken to compare the early and midterm outcome following completion total cavopulmonary connection (TCPC) in patients with a single functional ventricle of left or right morphology...
- Direct measurement of porto-systemic gradient in a failing Fontan circulationMadhavi Velpula
Department of Adult Congenital Heart Disease, Cardiothoracic Division, Southampton University Hospital, Southampton, UK
Congenit Heart Dis 6:175-8. 2011..The patient's histopathological findings were identical to that previously documented in Fontan patients, raising the question of whether these subdiaphragmatic hemodynamics are representative of the broader failing Fontan population...
- Functional status, heart rate, and rhythm abnormalities in 521 Fontan patients 6 to 18 years of ageAndrew D Blaufox
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:100-7, 107.e1. 2008..Our objective was to determine the relationship between functional outcome and abnormalities of heart rate and rhythm after the Fontan operation...
- Experimentally modified Fontan circulation in an adolescent pig model without the use of cardiopulmonary bypassMeletios A Kanakis
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Sismanoglio General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Med Sci Monit 17:BR10-15. 2011..The feasibility and the hemodynamic outcome of Fontan circulation, without the use of cardiopulmonary bypass, were studied on a beating heart of an adolescent pig model, using a modified total cavopulmonary connection...
- A multicenter, randomized trial comparing heparin/warfarin and acetylsalicylic acid as primary thromboprophylaxis for 2 years after the Fontan procedure in childrenPaul Monagle
Department of Paediatrics, University of Melbourne, Royal Children s Hospital and Critical Care and Neurosciences Theme, Murdoch Children s Research Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Am Coll Cardiol 58:645-51. 2011The purpose of this study was to compare the safety and efficacy of acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) and warfarin for thromboprophylaxis after the Fontan procedure.
- The CALF (Congenital Heart Disease in Adults Lower Extremity Systemic Venous Health in Fontan Patients) studyAnne Marie Valente
Boston Adult Congenital Heart Program, Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 56:144-50. 2010..The objective of this study was to document the prevalence of chronic venous insufficiency (CVI) and its associated factors in adults with Fontan physiology...
- Ventricular performance in long-term survivors after Fontan operationYuki Nakamura
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, National Cardiovascular Center, Osaka, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 91:172-80. 2011..Ventricular function and arrhythmia in patients with Fontan circulation in long-term follow-up are still unknown...
- Anticoagulation and incidence of late cerebrovascular accidents following the Fontan procedureC B Mahnke
Division of Cardiology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 26:56-61. 2005Thromboembolic events are a well-reported complication following the Fontan procedure, but no previous studies have compared the incidence of thromboembolic events relative to the prophylactic anticoagulation strategy utilized...
- Alterations in the medial layer of the main pulmonary artery in a patient with longstanding Fontan circulationIki Adachi
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 11:682-3. 2010..Our findings are provided with a review of the literature...
- Natural history of exercise capacity after the Fontan operation: a longitudinal studyAlessandro Giardini
Pediatric Cardiology and Adult Congenital Unit, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 85:818-21. 2008..We sought to assess the natural history of exercise capacity after the Fontan operation in individual patients, and to identify the factors influencing the rate of decrease of exercise capacity over time...
- Elevated vascular endothelial growth factor levels are associated with aortopulmonary collateral vessels in patients before and after the Fontan procedureYoshiki Mori
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
Am Heart J 153:987-94. 2007Aortopulmonary collaterals (APCs) are frequently observed before and after the Fontan procedure. However, the mechanism of the development of APCs is unknown...
- Intraoperative evaluation of pulmonary artery flow during the Fontan procedure by transesophageal Doppler echocardiographyS Kawahito
Department of Anesthesiology, Tokushima University School of Medicine, 3 18 15 Kuramoto, Tokushima, 770 8503 Japan
Anesth Analg 91:1375-80. 2000After the Fontan procedure, pulmonary artery (PA) flow is maintained without right ventricular pump function...
- Experimental study of effect of Fontan circuit on pulmonary microcirculationZongtao Yin
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Shenyang Northern Hospital, 83 Wenhua Road, Shenhe District, Shenyang 110016, China
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 14:183-8. 2006....
- Histomorphometric analysis of pulmonary vessels in single ventricle for better selection of patients for the Fontan operationMarilyne Levy
Service de chirurgie cardiaque, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 123:263-70. 2002In cases of single-ventricle physiology, the Fontan procedure often fails even when the usual selection criteria are strictly respected...
- Hepatic adenomatosis in a 7-year-old child treated earlier with a Fontan procedureKadir Babaoglu
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kocaeli University, Kocaeli, Turkey
Pediatr Cardiol 31:861-4. 2010Patients who undergo a Fontan procedure experience some degree of liver disease...
- Noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis in patients with Fontan circulation using transient elastography and biochemical fibrosis markersMireen Friedrich-Rust
Department of Internal Medicine, JW Goethe University Clinic, Frankfurt, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:560-7. 2008..Therefore, early detection of fibrosis is essential to identify patients at risk. Transient elastography has been evaluated for noninvasive staging of liver fibrosis in a multitude of studies...
- Intracardiac thrombus in adults with the Fontan circulationWendy Tsang
Toronto Congenital Cardiac Centre for Adults, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cardiol Young 17:646-51. 2007..To determine the treatment and outcomes of a cohort of adults with the Fontan circulation diagnosed with intracardiac thrombus...
- Experimental study of nonpulsatile flow perfusion and structural remodeling of pulmonary microcirculation vesselsY Zongtao
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Shenyang Northern Hospital, Shenyang, China
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 58:468-72. 2010..The aim of the study was to investigate whether functional changes and structural remodeling occurs in the microvascular bed of the pulmonary circulation under nonpulsatile flow perfusion...
- Hepatocellular carcinoma in two patients with cardiac cirrhosisTeddy Saliba
Department of Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:889-91. 2010..In this study we present two female patients with congenital heart defects treated with the Fontan procedure who survived into their third decade, and developed hepatocellular carcinoma in the setting of cardiac ..
- Fenestration improves clinical outcome of the fontan procedure: a prospective, randomized studyMatthew S Lemler
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX 75235, USA
Circulation 105:207-12. 2002The Fontan procedure is the definitive operation for palliation of complex congenital heart disease with single-ventricle physiology. Fenestration of the Fontan circuit allows for shunting of deoxygenated blood to the systemic circulation...
- Late reoperations for Fontan patients: state of the art invited reviewConstantine Mavroudis
Division of Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Children s Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 34:1034-40. 2008..We describe those circumstances and the solutions we found to treat those patients...
- Reevaluation of histomorphometric analysis of lung tissue in decision making for better patient selection for fontan-type operationsKatsuhide Maeda
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1371-81; discussion 1371-81. 2004....
- Somatic growth failure after the Fontan operationM I Cohen
Division of Cardiology, The Children Hospital of Philadelphia and The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 19104, USA
Cardiol Young 10:447-57. 2000..of growth, in the medium term, of children with functionally univentricular hearts managed with a hemi-Fontan procedure in infancy, followed by a modified Fontan operation in early childhood...
- Factors related to pleural effusions after Fontan procedure in the era of fenestrationR T Fedderly
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Cardiology, Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA
Circulation 104:I148-51. 2001..Significant pleural effusions after the Fontan operation prolong hospital stay, may increase the risk of infection, and may necessitate a pleurodesis procedure...
- Caesarean section following the Fontan procedure: two different deliveries and different anaesthetic choices in the same patientL Eid
Resident, Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, POB 12000, Jerusalem, Israel
Anaesthesia 60:1137-40. 2005The Fontan procedure is performed for patients with a hypoplastic right ventricle, and pregnancies following this palliative surgery are likely to increase...
- Subaortic obstruction in univentricular heart: results using the double barrel Damus-Kaye Stansel operationAndrew C Fiore
Divisions of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cardinal Glennon Children s Hospital, St Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 35:141-6. 2009..The purpose was to determine if PAB alters semilunar valve function after the double barrel DKS procedure and if this staged approach negatively influences the achievement of Fontan palliation...
- Somatic development long after the Fontan operation: factors influencing catch-up growthMasamichi Ono
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 134:1199-206. 2007..To understand the long-term effects of this operation, we followed somatic development for up to 15 years...
- Four decades of Fontan palliationMarc R de Leval
Cardiothoracic Unit, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, Great Ormond Street, London, UK
Nat Rev Cardiol 7:520-7. 2010..We also summarize the evolution of the Fontan procedure, highlight the long-term clinical issues and their management, and consider future expectations of a ..
- Arterialised hepatic nodules in the Fontan circulation: hepatico-cardiac interactionsTimothy Bryant
Department of Radiology, Southampton General Hospital, UK
Int J Cardiol 151:268-72. 2011..They occur especially when central venous pressures are high, and very likely indicate arterialisation of hepatic blood flow and reciprocal portal venous deprivation. The underlying pathology is most likely focal nodular hyperplasia...
- Coagulation factor abnormalities in patients with single-ventricle physiology immediately prior to the Fontan procedureKirsten C Odegard
Department of Anesthesia, Children s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 73:1770-7. 2002..Using age-matched controls, this study evaluated coagulation abnormalities in children who had undergone a bidirectional Glenn procedure to test the hypothesis that coagulation abnormalities are present before the Fontan operation...
- Midterm follow-up of the status of Gore-Tex graft after extracardiac conduit Fontan procedureCheul Lee
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Sejong Heart Institute, Sejong General Hospital, 91 121 Sosa Bon 2 dong, Sosa ku, Bucheon shi, Kyungki do 422 232, South Korea
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:1008-12. 2007Extracardiac conduit Fontan procedure has some theoretical advantages over other types of Fontan procedures, such as optimized flow dynamics, a lower frequency of arrhythmias, and technical ease of procedure...
- Long-term anticoagulation therapy and thromboembolic complications after the Fontan procedureY F Cheung
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Division of Paediatric Cardiology, Grantham Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Aberdeen, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Int J Cardiol 102:509-13. 2005The necessity for chronic anticoagulation of Fontan patients remains controversial. We determined the prevalence of thromboembolic complications after the Fontan procedure in relation to different long-term anticoagulation strategies.
- Improving results of the Fontan procedure in patients with heterotaxy syndromeSoo Jin Kim
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, Sejong General Hospital, Bucheon, Korea
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1245-51. 2006..We studied whether the outcome of those patients with heterotaxy syndrome improved compared with those who did not have the syndrome after an extracardiac Fontan operation...
- Fontan operation in the current era: a 15-year single institution experienceJennifer C Hirsch
Department of Surgery, Section of Cardiac Surgery and daggerDepartment of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Cardiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Ann Surg 248:402-10. 2008Evaluate current risk factors for mortality and morbidity in patients undergoing the Fontan procedure at a single institution in the current era.
- Excellent midterm outcome of extracardiac conduit total cavopulmonary connection: results of 126 casesToshihide Nakano
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Fukuoka Children s Hospital, Fukuoka, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 84:1619-25; discussion 1625-6. 2007..Extracardiac conduit total cavopulmonary connection has shown good early results; however, its long-term outcome has yet to be reported...
- The Fontan circulationMarc Gewillig
Pediatric Cardiology, Gasthuisberg University Hospital, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Heart 91:839-46. 2005
- Clinical outcome of 193 extracardiac Fontan patients: the first 15 yearsSalvatore Giannico
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, Rome, Italy
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:2065-73. 2006..We sought to evaluate the mid-term outcome of hospital survivors with extracardiac Fontan circulation...
- Bosentan induces clinical, exercise and hemodynamic improvement in a pre-transplant patient with plastic bronchitis after Fontan operationSotiria C Apostolopoulou
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, Athens, Greece
J Heart Lung Transplant 24:1174-6. 2005....
- Fontan palliation in the modern era: factors impacting mortality and morbidityJames S Tweddell
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Sections of Pediatric Cardiology and Critical Care, Medical College of Wisconsin and Herma Heart Center, Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1291-9. 2009..Coincident with these improvements, Fontan palliation has been applied to a wider ranger of anatomic subgroups...
- The Fontan circulation: a challenge to William Harvey?Marc R de Leval
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, London, UK
Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 2:202-8. 2005..This adverse effect can lead to a decline in functional capacity, and premature late death...
- Rare problems associated with the Fontan circulationDavid J Goldberg
Division of Cardiology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, United States of America
Cardiol Young 20:113-9. 2010..Continued collaboration between sub-specialists and between institutions will be required to optimise the care for this group of survivors with functionally univentricular hearts...
- Nitric oxide synthase expression by pulmonary arteries: a predictive marker of Fontan procedure outcome?Marilyne Levy
Service de chirurgie cardiaque, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 125:1083-90. 2003We retrospectively analyzed lung biopsy specimens from patients who underwent the Fontan procedure to identify predictive markers of outcome.
- Late hepatic complications after Fontan operation; non-invasive markers of hepatic fibrosis and risk factorsJae Suk Baek
Department of Pediatrics, Seoul National University Children s Hospital, Jongno gu, Seoul 110 744, South Korea
Heart 96:1750-5. 2010..To identify the prevalence, clinical characteristics, risk factors of hepatic complications after a Fontan operation...
- Long-term results of the Fontan operationD J Driscoll
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Mayo Clinic, 200 1st Street S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 28:438-42. 2007..Important long-term undesirable events include the ongoing risk of death, arrhythmias, protein-losing enteropathy, and cardiac failure. The key to excellent long-term outcome is proper selection of patients for the operation...
- The endothelin-1 G5665T polymorphism impacts transplant-free survival for single ventricle patientsPaul M Kirshbom
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine and Children s Healthcare of Atlanta, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:117-22. 2008..The goal of this study was to determine whether this single nucleotide polymorphism alters transplant-free survival for children with single-ventricle congenital heart disease...
- Total cavopulmonary connection with an extracardiac conduit: experience with 100 patientsShigehiko Tokunaga
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Fukuoka Children s Hospital, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 73:76-80. 2002..We demonstrate early to midterm results of total cavopulmonary connection with an extracardiac conduit...
- What is the clinical utility of routine cardiac catheterization before a Fontan operation?Puja Banka
Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 31:977-85. 2010..A more comprehensive imaging strategy not based solely on echocardiography should be considered...
- Blood flow distribution in a large series of patients having the Fontan operation: a cardiac magnetic resonance velocity mapping studyKevin K Whitehead
Division of Cardiology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:96-102. 2009..in the cavopulmonary connections of patients with and without bilateral superior venae cavae who had the Fontan procedure. No large series exists that establishes the flow distributions in Fontan patients, which would be an ..
- Outcome after Fontan failure and takedown to an intermediate palliative circulationChristopher S D Almond
Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 84:880-7. 2007..Little is known about the subsequent outcome of these patients or their potential candidacy for a second attempt at Fontan completion...
- Medical management of the failing FontanN S Ghanayem
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Critical Care, Children s Hospital of Wisconsin and Medical College of Wisconsin, 9000 West Wisconsin Avenue, MS 681, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 28:465-71. 2007....
- Orthotopic heart transplantation for failing single ventricle physiologyGuido Michielon
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Ospedale Pediatrico Bambino Gesu, Rome, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 24:502-10; discussion 510. 2003..Evaluation of incremental risk factors for early mortality in children undergoing orthotopic heart transplantation (OHT) for failing single ventricle physiology...
- Novel Micro-Implant to Measure Intracardiac Pressure in Congenital Heart PatientsNader Najafi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The second stage surgery, termed the hemi-Fontan procedure (HFP) re-routes systemic venous blood from the upper body and head into the pulmonary circulation without ..
- Development of Percutaneous DLC for Total Cavo-pulmonary AssistanceDongfang Wang; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The Fontan procedure is currently standard care for patients with complex single ventricle congenital heart defects...
- Pediatric Heart Network Medical University of South CarolinaMARK ALEXANDER SCHEURER; Fiscal Year: 2013..functional single ventricle over the past 25 years has been staged surgical palliation to an eventual Fontan procedure. However, the specific approaches vary widely...
- Pediatric Heart Network - The Hospital for Sick Children, TorontoSteven M Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Patients with functional single ventricle undergoing palliative staging procedures towards eventual Fontan procedure are at particularly high risk, with 40% having clinically important thrombosis events before reaching ..
- Piezoelectric Pump to supply Ventricular Assist Device for Fontan PatientsCONAL O'NEILL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Even after surgically rerouting the single ventricle circulation via the Fontan procedure, the circulation in these patients relies on blood flowing passively through the lungs...
- SKELETAL MUSCLE FOR MYOCARDIAL ASSISTANCEJOHN MANNION; Fiscal Year: 1993..At present not all patients with a single ventricular chamber are candidates for a fontan procedure. Creation of a skeletal muscle ventricle that could perform as a right ventricle might help these patients...
- Bridge to neonatal Fontan repair of single ventricleMark Rodefeld; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- APOE Genotype and Sequelae of Infant Cardiac SurgeryJames Gaynor; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- High Resolution Ultrasound Biomicroscopy SystemDaniel Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- DEVELOPMENTAL CORRELATES-- MEMBRANE/CONTRACTILE PROTEINPage Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2004..Defining the role of cTnT isoforms in the normal and failing heart is expected to provide targets for potential new and effective pharmacological interventions in heart failure. ..
- ROLE OF BETA-RECEPTOR SIGNALING IN CARDIOMYOPATHYDaniel Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, our data suggest that the intricacies of b-AR subtype signaling, the temporal dependence of this signaling, and the multiple pathways of potential crosstalk, are quite a bit more complex. ..
- Neuroprotection with serpins during cardiac surgeryRichard A Jonas; Fiscal Year: 2010..The final phase will study mechanisms of vascular protection afforded by aprotinin. The proposed study has the potential to reduce the risk of brain injury in children and adults undergoing heart surgery. ..
- SHOCK TRIAL: LONG-TERM SURVIVAL AND STATISTICAL SUPPORTLynn Sleeper; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- ADULT-DERIVED STEM CELL DIFFERENTIATION IN THE HEARTPage Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed studies will provide new and important information about the functional properties of stem cell-derived cardiac myocytes and the potential value of stem cell-based approaches to treating heart failure. ..
- VENTRICULAR FUNCTION DURING CARDIAC SURGERYHENRY SPOTNITZ; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- When Belief Becomes False Memory: A Processing AccountDaniel Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed work will help clarify the relationship between belief and memory, thereby delineating some of the mechanisms responsible for false memory. ..
- THE NEONATAL HEART AND CARDIOPULMONARY BYPASSPage Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultimately, the goal would be to induce expression of these proteins to improve cardiac recovery. ..