right heart bypass
Summary: Diversion of the flow of blood from the entrance to the right atrium directly to the pulmonary arteries, avoiding the right atrium and right ventricle (Dorland, 28th ed). This a permanent procedure often performed to bypass a congenitally deformed right atrium or right ventricle.
Publications233 found, 100 shown here
- A novel implantation technique for closure of an atypical fenestration connecting the right atrial appendage to an extracardiac conduit by use of a 15 mm Helex device in a patient with total cavopulmonary connectionM Peuster
Klinik für angeborene Herzfehler Herz und Diabeteszentrum Nordrhein Westfalen, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Georgstrasse 11, 32545 Bad Oeynhausen, Germany
Z Kardiol 93:818-23. 2004....
- Increased platelet reactivity and significant changes in coagulation markers after cavopulmonary connectionH B Ravn
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Aarhus University Hospital, Skejby Section, DK 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Heart 85:61-5. 2001..To evaluate platelet reactivity and coagulation markers after surgical palliation of univentricular hearts...
- Clinical outcomes and utility of cardiac catheterization prior to superior cavopulmonary anastomosisDavid W Brown
Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 126:272-81. 2003....
- Extracardiac total cavopulmonary connection using a tissue-engineered graftYukihisa Isomatsu
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, The Heart Institute of Japan, Tokyo Women s Medical University
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 126:1958-62. 2003..We developed a new technique of extracardiac total cavopulmonary connection using a tissue-engineered graft to overcome some of the disadvantages previously associated with both the extracardiac and lateral tunnel procedures...
- The modified Blalock-Taussig shunt: a 6-year experience from a developing countryH A Maghur
Mesallata Cardiothoracic Centre, Libya
Pediatr Cardiol 23:49-52. 2002..This series shows an early mortality rate comparable to that of other studies, but the late mortality is higher, mainly due to sepsis, which warrants further attention...
- Bidirectional cavopulmonary shunt for cyanotic heart disease: surgical experience from a developing countryG Khan
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Aga Khan University, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 53:506-9. 2003..This study was conducted to highlight our surgical experience with this procedure in a developing country...
- Pathologic findings in atrial musculature seven years after the intraatrial tunnel FontanYasushi Yoshikawa
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, National Cardiovascular Center, Osaka, Suita, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 73:663-4. 2002..The number of myocardial cells was smaller, and the area of interstitial fibrosis was greater, in both circumstances, when compared with the normal right atrium...
- Early cavopulmonary anastomosis in very young infants after the Norwood procedure: impact on oxygenation, resource utilization, and mortalityRobert D B Jaquiss
Division of Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery Medical College of Wisconsin, and Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 53226, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 127:982-9. 2004..Potential disadvantages include severe cyanosis, prolonged pleural drainage and hospitalization, and excess mortality. We reviewed our recent experience to evaluate the safety of early cavopulmonary anastomosis...
- Additional pulmonary blood flow has no adverse effect on outcome after TCPCP A Berdat
Clinic for Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital, Berne, Switzerland
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 52:280-6. 2004..We have therefore assessed the effects of APBF on BDG and TCPC outcome...
- Importance of accurate geometry in the study of the total cavopulmonary connection: computational simulations and in vitro experimentsK Ryu
Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Tech, Atlanta 30332-0535, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 29:844-53. 2001..With the velocity gradient based dissipation technique, the map of energy dissipation was plotted revealing that most of the energy was dissipated near the pulmonary artery walls...
- Inhaled nitric oxide does not improve systemic oxygenation after bidirectional superior cavopulmonary anastomosisIan Adatia
Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:217-9. 2005
- Modified fenestration technique for the Kawashima operation in a young infantDante Picarelli
Division of Cardiac Surgery, American Cardiac Center, American Hospital, Montevideo, Uruguay
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:451-2. 2005
- Angiogenic proteins in the lungs of children after cavopulmonary anastomosisS L Starnes
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, Wash, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 122:518-23. 2001....
- Total cavopulmonary connection for complex cardiac anomalies with the functional single ventricleX Jinag
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430022
J Tongji Med Univ 21:149-51. 2001..Larger anastomotic stoma, venous pressure less than 16 cmH2O and artery saturation more than 90% might indicate excellent TCPC procedures in our experience...
- Current treatment and prognosis in children with functionally univentricular heartsR Kaulitz
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Pediatric Intensive Care Medicine, Tuebingen University Hospital, Germany
Arch Dis Child 90:757-62. 2005..However, increasing experience with medium term and long term follow-up of the Fontan circulation has drawn attention to a number of sequelae and chronic complications affecting a significant number of patients...
- Histologic findings after explantation of a modified expanded polytetrafluoroethylene graft used for clinical systemic-to-pulmonary shuntingKoji Takeda
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, National Cardiovascular Center, Osaka, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 130:934-5. 2005
- Transcatheter closure of native pulmonary artery for the elimination of accessory pulmonary blood flow after bidirectional Glenn shuntAnil Sivadasan Radha
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Kochi
Indian Heart J 55:373-5. 2003..This flow was successfully eliminated in the cardiac catheterization laboratory using an Amplazter duct occluder that was placed across the native pulmonary valve...
- Usefulness of pulsatile bidirectional cavopulmonary shunt in high-risk Fontan patientsRichard D Mainwaring
Ann Thorac Surg 76:2167; author reply 2167. 2003
- [Less invasive establishment of the Fontan circulation in terms of earlier farewell to a cyanotic circulation]H Uemura
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, National Cardiovascular Center, Suita, Japan
Kyobu Geka 56:309-15. 2003..Another device can be a cordial preparation of the extracardiac channel at the time of the bidirectional Glenn procedure when the staged approach is chosen...
- [Lateral tunnel versus extracardiac cavopulmonary connections]S Sano
Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Okayama, Japan
Kyobu Geka 56:294-7. 2003..There were no differences in mortality and mobidity between LT and EC TCPC. Lateral tunnel TCPC is useful especially to small infants and children...
- [Long-term results after the total cavopulmonary connection]N Yoshimura
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Kobe Children s Hospital, Kobe, Japan
Kyobu Geka 56:289-93. 2003..Late complications included arrhythmia in 17 patients, systemic desaturation caused by abnormal systemic venous channels in 10, pleural or pericardial effusion in 3, chylothorax in 1, and aortic valve incompetence in 1...
- Feasibility and safety of immediate perioperative implantation of intravascular stents in cavopulmonary pathwaysMuhammad Walayat
Department of Cardiology, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Yorkhill, Glasgow, Scotland
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 60:94-8; discussion 99-100. 2003..We report the successful use of endovascular stents during the immediate postoperative period in patients undergoing cavopulmonary anastomoses...
- Effects of exercise and respiration on blood flow in total cavopulmonary connection: a real-time magnetic resonance flow studyV E Hjortdal
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Skejby Hospital, Aarhus University Hospital, DK 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Circulation 108:1227-31. 2003..Little is known about blood flow and its relationship to respiration during exercise in patients with total cavopulmonary connection (TCPC)...
- [Fontan procedure: early and mid-term results with total cavopulmonary anastomosis]Pedro Becker
Departamento de Enfermedades Cardiovasculares, Departamento de Pediatria, Facultad de Medicina, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Hospital Dr Sotero del Rio
Rev Med Chil 130:1217-26. 2002..During the last five years, 65 patients with univentricular heart have been treated surgically in our institution, according to a protocol of staged operations that have been previously reported...
- Is cardiac catheterization a prerequisite in all patients undergoing bidirectional cavopulmonary anastomosis?Colin J McMahon
Texas Children s Hospital, Houston 77030, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 16:1068-72. 2003..By using commonly acquired echocardiographic parameters, a low-risk subgroup of patients can be identified who can safely avoid preoperative cardiac catheterization...
- Patency of cavopulmonary connection studied by single phase electron beam computed tomographyByoung Wook Choi
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Research Institute of Radiological Science, Yonsei University, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 19:447-55. 2003..The patency of the shunt and the anatomy of intra-pericardial PA were evaluated by EBCT, and compared by angiography and echocardiography...
- Surgical results of patients with a functional single ventricleJeong Ryul Lee
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Seoul National University Children s Hospital, 28 Yongon Dong, Jongro Gu, Seoul 110 744, South Korea
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 24:716-22. 2003..This study assessed the factors that affect the surgical outcomes mainly in the pre-Fontan stage and performed long-term survival analysis...
- Surgical treatment of complex cardiac anomalies: the 'one and one half ventricle repair'G Stellin
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, University of Padova Medical School, Via Giustiniani, 2, 35128, Padova, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:1043-9. 2002..One and one half ventricle repair is a surgical option for congenital cardiac anomalies characterised by right ventricle (RV) hypoplasia and/or dysplasia...
- As originally published in 1996. Usefulness of pulsatile bidirectional cavopulmonary shunt in high-risk Fontan patients. Updated in 2002Kagami Miyaji
Ann Thorac Surg 74:971-2. 2002....
- Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations after cavopulmonary anastomosisBrian W Duncan
Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery, The Children s Hospital at the Cleveland Clinic, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 76:1759-66. 2003..Investigations into possible mechanisms for the etiology of PAVMs are ongoing and suggest that the liver might play a key regulatory role in the development of these lesions...
- Catheter closure of accessory pulmonary blood flow after bidirectional Glenn anastomosis using Amplatzer duct occluderMakram R Ebeid
Division of Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, 39216, USA
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 57:95-7. 2002..The communication was successfully occluded using Amplatzer duct occluder with satisfactory reduction in the Glenn pressure...
- [Complex plasty of the atrioventricular valve in defects with a functional single ventricle--surgical technic and midterm results]T Tlaskal
Dĕtské kardiocentrum, FN Motol, Praha
Rozhl Chir 81:223-9. 2002..Persistent severe or progressive regurgitation, however, requires surgical reintervention...
- Effects of controlled antegrade pulmonary blood flow on cardiac function after bidirectional cavopulmonary anastomosisJoseph Caspi
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Louisiana State University, and Children s Hospital, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 76:1917-21; discussion 1921-2. 2003..We studied the effects of controlled antegrade pulmonary blood flow on cardiac function in patients after BCPA...
- One and a half ventricle repair with pulsatile bidirectional Glenn: results and guidelines for patient selectionU K Chowdhury
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi
Ann Thorac Surg 71:1995-2002. 2001..Patients requiring an intricate intracardiac repair and those with concomitant right heart hypoplasia may be better suited for a Fontan type of repair to reduce the complexity of the procedure...
- Incorporation of the hepatic veins into the cavopulmonary circulation in patients with heterotaxy and pulmonary arteriovenous malformations after a Kawashima procedureDoff B McElhinney
Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1597-603. 2005..Resolution of PAVMs after hepatic vein (HV) inclusion into the cavopulmonary circulation has been reported, but there has been no systematic investigation of the effects of this therapy in a population of more than 3 patients...
- Successful staged-Fontan operation in a patient with ectopia cordisS Tokunaga
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Fukuoka Children's Hospital, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 71:715-7. 2001..This patient was discharged from the hospital in good condition and has been doing well since. Thus, ectopia cordis is not a contraindication for a Fontan operation...
- Reversal of increased pulmonary arterial pressure associated with systemic venous collaterals after tonsillectomy in a Fontan candidate after the Glenn procedure: impact of obstructive sleep apnea on Fontan circulationHirofumi Sawada
Department of Pediatrics, Mie University Graduate School of Medicine, Tsu, Mie, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:1371-3. 2007
- [Prognostic study of 3 main palliative surgical procedures in patients with single ventricle]G Tremeau
Service de Cardiologie C, Hopital Cardiovasculaire et Pneumologique, BP Lyon Monchat
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 87:623-8. 1994..This procedure should only be envisaged after strict selection of candidates and providing there are facilities for intensive postoperative care.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Caval blood flow during supine exercise in normal and Fontan patientsVibeke E Hjortdal
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Aarhus University Hospital, Skejby, Aarhus, Denmark
Ann Thorac Surg 85:599-603. 2008..Both are thought to have inferior hemodynamics compared with a normal circulation. Direct comparison of flow rates at rest and during exercise with magnetic resonance imaging technique have not been performed...
- Rheolytic mechanical thrombectomy for pulmonary artery thrombus in children with complex cyanotic congenital heart diseaseShaji C Menon
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 71:237-43. 2008..We report three patients with complex congenital heart disease of single ventricle physiology palliated by cavopulmonary anastomosis or central shunts and PA thrombosis treated with AngioJet system...
- [Late supraventricular arrhythmia complicating Fontan or cavopulmonary type procedures. Apropos of 7 cases]P Maragnes
Service de cardiologie, CHU de Caen
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 89:605-9. 1996..After restoration of sinus rhythm, maintenance antiarrhythmic therapy should be continued indefinitely...
- Guidelines for the outpatient management of complex congenital heart diseaseGil Wernovsky
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Congenit Heart Dis 1:10-26. 2006..The purpose of this position article is to provide a framework for outpatient follow-up of complex congenital heart disease, based on a review of current literature and the experience of the authors...
- Total cavo-pulmonary connection without foreign material for asplenic heart associated with partial anomalous pulmonary venous connectionKouta Agematsu
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Chiba Children s Hospital, 579 1, Heta Cho, Midori ku, Chiba City, Chiba, 266 0007, Japan
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:344-6. 2008..Total cavo-pulmonary connection was established by re-routing the inferior vena cava to pulmonary artery using the atrial septal remnant and the left atrium free wall flap...
- Extracardiac Fontan with direct cavopulmonary connectionsRoxane McKay
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:669-71. 2008..Such pathways retain growth potential, obviate suture lines within the right atrium, and avoid prosthetic implants. They thus enable definitive, single-stage ventricular unloading, regardless of patient size or great artery position...
- [Can partial cavo-pulmonary connection be considered an alternative to the Fontan procedure?]D Bonnet
Service de Cardiologie Pediatrique, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 91:569-73. 1998....
- [Clinical, hemodynamic and angiographic results of total cavo-pulmonary connection]A C Jimenez
, CHU, , Tours
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 91:561-7. 1998..The quality of the cavo-pulmonary circulation and the surgical anastomoses was estimated to be satisfactory in the majority of cases...
- Initial experience with the development and numerical and in vitro studies of a novel low-pressure artificial right ventricle for pediatric Fontan patientsRui Wang
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, USA
ASAIO J 52:682-92. 2006..The results provide encouragement to pursue this design to for in vitro studies and animal studies...
- Bidirectional Glenn and antegrade pulmonary blood flow: temporary or definitive palliation?Davide F Calvaruso
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Marta e Milagros, Azienda di Rilievo Nazionale e di Alta Specializzazione, Ospedale Civico, Palermo, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 85:1389-95; discussion 1395-6. 2008..We sought to investigate the role of the bidirectional Glenn with antegrade pulmonary blood flow in the surgical history of children with univentricular hearts...
- [Follow-up of patients treated by conduits between the right ventricle and the pulmonary artery]S Chraibi
, , , Suisse
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 93:527-32. 2000..Homografts have a slightly longer life compared with valved Dacron conduits but the difference is not statistically significant...
- Heart transplantation after Fontan's procedure with bilateral cavopulmonary connectionsT D T Tjan
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital Muenster, Muenster, Germany
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 54:210-2. 2006..Instead of reconstructing the hypoplastic innominate vein the persistent left superior caval vein was reanastomosed via the recipient's coronary sinus into the right atrium...
- Redirection of hepatic drainage for treatment of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations following the Fontan procedureI Hui Wu
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, PO Box 1028, New York, NY 10029, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 27:519-22. 2006..This operation provided the affected lung with hepatic venous blood without exposing the patient to the morbidity associated with cardiopulmonary bypass...
- Coupling pediatric ventricle assist devices to the Fontan circulation: simulations with a lumped-parameter modelKerem Pekkan
Cardiovascular Fluid Mechanics Laboratory, Wallace H Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332 0535, USA
ASAIO J 51:618-28. 2005..Magnitudes of the equivalent TCPC resistances were found to be comparable to the vascular resistances of the normal baseline circulation, significantly affecting both the VAD design and hemodynamics...
- Right ventricle-to-pulmonary artery shunt: alternative palliation in infants with inadequate pulmonary blood flow prior to two-ventricle repairScott M Bradley
Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 86:183-8; discussion 188. 2008..The aim of this report is to assess the results of an alternative, right ventricle-to-pulmonary artery (RV-PA) shunt...
- Total cavopulmonary connection flow with functional left pulmonary artery stenosis: angioplasty and fenestration in vitroKerem Pekkan
Wallace H Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332 0535, USA
Circulation 112:3264-71. 2005..The goal of this study was to quantify and evaluate the hemodynamic impact of LPA stenosis and to judge interventional strategies aimed at treating it...
- Impact of placing a conduit from the right ventricle to the pulmonary arteries as the first stage of further palliation in the Norwood sequence for hypoplasia of the left heartMartin Kostolny
Clinic of Cardiovascular Surgery, German Heart Center Munich, Technical University Munich, Germany
Cardiol Young 17:517-22. 2007....
- Real-time 3-dimensional echocardiography provides new insight into mechanisms of tricuspid valve regurgitation in patients with hypoplastic left heart syndromeK Takahashi
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada
Circulation 120:1091-8. 2009..Tricuspid regurgitation in hypoplastic left heart syndrome has an impact on outcome, but its mechanisms remain unclear...
- Surgical results in patients with double outlet right ventricle: a 20-year experienceJ W Brown
Section of Cardiothoracic Surgery, James W Riley Hospital for Children, and Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202 5123, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 72:1630-5. 2001..The objective of this study was to review our surgical strategy in children with double outlet right ventricle and to assess risk factors for early and late mortality and reoperation...
- Rescue cardiac transplantation for failing staged palliation in patients with hypoplastic left heart syndromeJeffrey Phillip Jacobs
The Congenital Heart Institute of Florida, All Children s Hospital, University of South Florida, Saint Petersburg, FL 33701, USA
Cardiol Young 16:556-62. 2006..Orthotopic heart transplantation is considered a rescue option for children with failing staged palliation or repair of hypoplastic left heart syndrome. We present our strategy for management, and outcomes, for these complex patients...
- Endovascular stent implantation in the pulmonary arteries of infants and children without the use of a long vascular sheathRobert H Pass
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of New York New York Presbyterian Hospital, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 55:505-9. 2002..This technique is useful for the palliation of proximal pulmonary artery stenosis and is effective definitive treatment for peripheral pulmonary artery stenosis in small infants and children...
- Preoperative pulmonary hemodynamics and assessment of operability: is there a pulmonary vascular resistance that precludes cardiac operation?Therese M Giglia
Division of Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Pediatr Crit Care Med 11:S57-69. 2010..Amelioration of any reversible factors before operation and optimization of their management in the preoperative and postoperative period are recommended...
- Management and outcome of patients with abnormal ventriculo-arterial connections and mitral valve cleftAlain Fraisse
Service de Cardiologie Pediatrique, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
Ann Thorac Surg 74:786-91. 2002..It may cause outflow obstruction, mitral regurgitation, and complicate biventricular repair...
- [Short and medium-term results of the Norwood intervention (first stage)]A Fraisse
, , 264, rue Saint-Pierre, 13385 Marseille
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 94:457-63. 2001..In conclusion, the option of a Norwood procedure (Stage one) should be proposed in patients with hypoplastic left heart syndrome (or variant)...
- Fontan-type procedures: residual lesions and late interventionsRenate Kaulitz
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Pediatric Intensive Care Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 74:778-85. 2002..The purpose of this study was to determine the type and incidence of hemodynamic and electrophysiological abnormalities requiring surgical or catheter-based interventions in a single-center long-term experience...
- Biventricular repair after Norwood palliationJeffrey M Pearl
Department of Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, 3333 Burnet Ave, OSB 3, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 75:132-6; discussion 136-7. 2003..Additionally, echocardiographic data were reviewed in an attempt to develop objective prognostic criteria for selection of patients suitable for BVR...
- Somatic growth in children with single ventricle physiology impact of physiologic stateKelly N Vogt
Division of Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Toronto, The Labatt Family Heart Centre, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 50:1876-83. 2007..We sought to define somatic growth patterns for patients with single ventricle (SV) physiology and associated factors...
- Intraoperative stenting of pulmonary arteriesRegina Bokenkamp
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Thoracic Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, Center of Congenital Anomalies of the Heart Amsterdam Leiden, Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 27:544-7. 2005..A hybrid-approach combining corrective surgery and intraoperative stent placement may be complementary in these patients...
- Altered pulmonary microvascular reactivity after total cardiopulmonary bypassT Shafique
Department of Surgery, Charles A Dana Research Laboratory, Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, MA 02215
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 106:479-86. 1993..circulation without reduced pulmonary perfusion, we studied additional sheep after they underwent right heart bypass with a pump-oxygenator...
- Peri-operative comparison of different transient external shunt techniques in bidirectional cavo-pulmonary shuntEmin Tireli
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Medical Faculty of Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23:518-24. 2003..The purpose of this prospective study is the peri- and post-operative comparison of different transient external shunt methods used in bidirectional cavopulmonary shunt operations...
- Neo-aortic root dilation and valve regurgitation up to 21 years after staged reconstruction for hypoplastic left heart syndromeMeryl S Cohen
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Cardiac Center at Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 19104, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 42:533-40. 2003..We sought to assess the prevalence and progression of neo-aortic root dilation and valvar regurgitation after staged reconstruction for hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS)...
- Ventricular energetics after the Fontan operation: contractility-afterload mismatchGabor Szabo
Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 125:1061-9. 2003..The present study investigated cardiac performance after the Fontan operation by using ventricular-vascular coupling framework analysis...
- Outcomes of emergent cardiac catheterization following pediatric cardiac surgeryKentaro Asoh
Division of Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, The Labatt Family Cardiac Center, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto School of Medicine, Toronto, Canada
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 73:933-40. 2009..The focus of this study was to explore the indications for and determinants of outcome after cardiac catheterization in this setting...
- [Favourable results with surgical treatment in 43 children with hypoplastic left-heart syndrome or similar disorders, 1999-2005]M G Hazekamp
Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum, Postbus 9600, 2300 RC Leiden
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 150:1930-5. 2006..To describe the results of surgical treatment of hypoplastic left-heart syndrome (HLHS) and HLHS-like disorders in the Amsterdam-Leiden Centre for Congenital Heart Disease, the Netherlands...
- Surgical treatment of coarctation complex in neonates and infantsH Yamauchi
Department of Surgery II, Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 67:455-8. 2000..The purpose of this paper is to review our experience with two-stage repair using subclavian flap aortoplasty and to seek an appropriate procedure...
- Modifications to the cavopulmonary anastomosis do not eliminate early sinus node dysfunctionM I Cohen
Divisions of Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery and The Departments of Pediatrics and Surgery, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 120:891-900. 2000....
- [Criss-cross heart: anesthetic considerations for total cavopulmonary shunt (Fontan procedure)]A Martinez-Telleria
Servicio de Anestesiologia y Reanimacion, Hospital Universitario Virgen de las Nieves Centro Materno Infantil Granada
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 52:177-80. 2005..We were able to maintain normal arterial pressure in our patient and provide adequate preloading through hyperventilation to reduce pulmonary vascular resistance...
- [Cavopulmonary shunts in the treatment of univentricular heart diseases in children. An experience of 60 cases]P Acar
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 86:601-7. 1993..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Approach of the pulmonary valve using right heart bypass and bicaval cannula: experimental studyAna Maria Rochapinto e Silva
Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas da Santa Casa de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo SP
Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 22:463-9. 2007To reproduce the surgery for correction of pulmonary valve anomalies using right heart bypass and a new bicaval cuffed venous cannula for minimal access surgery.
- Inclusion of hepatic venous drainage in patients with pulmonary arteriovenous fistulasSoo Jin Kim
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Sejong General Hospital, Bucheon, Korea
Ann Thorac Surg 87:548-53. 2009..Previously, we reported that most patients with bidirectional cavopulmonary shunt (BCPS) have clinical or subclinical evidence of a right to left shunt through PAVFs...
- Postoperative chylothorax after cardiothoracic surgery in childrenEmily H Chan
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Toronto, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1864-70. 2005..The purpose of this study is to determine the incidence, risk factors, and outcomes for chylothorax in children undergoing cardiothoracic surgery...
- Transition of ventricular function and energy efficiency after a primary or staged Fontan procedureManabu Watanabe
Unit of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hokkaido Medical Center for Child Health and Rehabilitation, 1 1 Kanayama, Teine ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 006 0041, Japan
Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 56:498-504. 2008..The transitional changes of the ventricular function at different time points after total cavopulmonary connection (TCPC) were examined...
- [Individualized surgical management of pulmonary atresia with intact ventricular septum]Zhong Qun Zhu
Department of Pediatric Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Shanghai Children s Medical Center, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200127, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 88:738-41. 2008..To delineate individualized surgical management strategy for the optimal management of pulmonary atresia with intact ventricular septum (PA/IVS)...
- Routine immunizations and adverse events in infants with single-ventricle physiologyBrian McAlvin
Sibley Heart Center Cardiology, Children s Healthcare of Atlanta, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 84:1316-9. 2007..In an effort to decrease the risk of sudden death, some centers have advocated that routine immunizations be deferred in this population. However, it is not known if an association exists between immunizations and adverse events...
- Analysis of hemodynamic response with 1/R control on biventricular bypass goatY Abe
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Artif Organs 24:312-5. 2000..blood pumps were connected to the natural heart, the pulmonary artery was totally clamped to acquire 100% right heart bypass, and the ascending aorta was stenosed to acquire about 60 to 90% left heart bypass; 1/R control was ..
- Additional pulmonary blood flow has no adverse effect on outcome after bidirectional cavopulmonary anastomosisPascal A Berdat
Clinic for Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital, Bern, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 79:29-36; discussion 36-7. 2005..We have therefore assessed the effects of additional pulmonary blood flow on outcome after bidirectional cavopulmonary anastomosis...
- [Single-stage Fontan procedure: early and late outcome in 124 patients]Mario Cazzaniga
Servicios de Cardiología Pediátrica, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Rev Esp Cardiol 55:391-412. 2002..A retrospective study was made to document the determinants of early (</= 30 days) and late (>/= 31 days) mortality with the modified Fontan procedure performed in one-stage over a 22-year period...
- Hepatic vein-to-azygos vein connection in a patient with interrupted inferior vena cavaY Kaneko
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 21:582-4. 2002..We recommend this technique as an effective alternative to hepatic vein-to-pulmonary artery connection in patients developing collateral vessels after total cavopulmonary shunt...
- The fenestrated Kawashima operation for single ventricle with interrupted inferior vena cavaRobert L Hannan
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Miami Children s Hospital, Miami, Florida 33155, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 75:271-3. 2003..We hypothesize that in small young patients undergoing the Kawashima operation a fenestration may improve postoperative hemodynamics...
- Results of 100 consecutive extracardiac conduit Fontan operationsS Ocello
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, A R N A S Ospedale Civico, Via Carmelo Lazzaro, 2 A, 90100 Palermo, Italy
Pediatr Cardiol 28:433-7. 2007..In 1988, we developed a new form of total extracardiac right heart bypass by means of associating an extracardiac conduit placed between the inferior vena cava (IVC) and the ..
- Transcatheter closure of ventriculopulmonary artery communications in staged Fontan proceduresTarak Desai
The Heart Unit, Birmingham Children s Hospital NHS Trust, Birmingham, UK
Heart 93:510-3. 2007..In patients with a cavopulmonary shunt anterograde pulmonary blood flow is frequently maintained, but can cause significant volume loading of the heart or complicate the subsequent Fontan procedure...
- Chylopericardium after cardiac operations in childrenR M Campbell
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Toronto Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 72:193-6. 2001..Chylopericardium is a rare complication after operation for congenital heart disease. The incidence and clinical outcomes in a large cohort of surgical patients are unknown...
- "Rapid two-stage" Norwood operation in a child with multiorgan failureC Schmitz
Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Munich, Marchioninistr 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Pediatr Cardiol 30:77-9. 2009..In selected cases of patients with HLHS with very poor hemodynamic conditions, a rapid two-stage approach with bilateral banding followed by a Norwood operation after cardiac stabilization can be recommended...
- Fontan palliation in the modern era: factors impacting mortality and morbidityJames S Tweddell
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Sections of Pediatric Cardiology and Critical Care, Medical College of Wisconsin and Herma Heart Center, Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1291-9. 2009..Coincident with these improvements, Fontan palliation has been applied to a wider ranger of anatomic subgroups...
- L-Arginine in lung graft preservation and reperfusionT Vainikka
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
J Heart Lung Transplant 20:559-67. 2001....
- Impact of arrhythmia circuit cryoablation during Fontan conversion for refractory atrial tachycardiaB J Deal
Division of Cardiology, The Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois 60614, USA
Am J Cardiol 83:563-8. 1999..02). Thus, surgical cryoablation of the arrhythmia circuit at the time of Fontan conversion is highly effective in the management of refractory atrial arrhythmias, and is superior to Fontan conversion alone...
- Ventricular function deteriorates with recurrent coarctation in hypoplastic left heart syndromeLuis Alesandro Larrazabal
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 86:869-74; discussion 869-74. 2008..Recurrent coarctation (re-CoA) after stage I palliation in hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS) is deleterious. We studied whether re-CoA had an effect on ventricular systolic function...
- Characteristics of Doppler myocardial echocardiography in patients with tricuspid atresia after total cavopulmonary connection with preserved systolic ventricular functionAndreas Eicken
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Disease, Deutsches Herzzentrum, Technische Universitat, Munchen, Germany
Int J Cardiol 116:212-8. 2007..Doppler myocardial echocardiography (DME) may be an excellent additional means of assessing determinants of systolic and diastolic ventricular function in patients with tricuspid atresia (TA) after total cavopulmonary connection (TCPC)...
- Congenital and surgically acquired Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome in patients with tricuspid atresiaAlfred Hager
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Disease, German Heart Center Munich, Technical University of Munich, Lazarettstrasse 36, D 80636 Munich, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 130:48-53. 2005..In these patients the atrial arrhythmia often seen in patients undergoing the Fontan operation triggered atrioventricular re-entrant tachycardia or caused life-threatening arrhythmias...
- Model of complete separation of the hepatic veins from the systemic venous systemC P Brizard
Laboratoire d Etude des Greffes et Prothèses Cardiaques, H pital Broussais, Paris, France
Ann Thorac Surg 70:2096-101. 2000..This article reports on the early hemodynamics and the fate of the separation of the two venous compartments in long-term survivors...
- Improved current era outcomes in patients with heterotaxy syndromesPetros V Anagnostopoulos
Pediatric Heart Center, The Phoenix Children s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ 85006, USA
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 35:871-7; discussion 877-8. 2009..We sought to assess whether current era management strategies have improved outcomes in patients with visceral heterotaxy...
- Percutaneous management of cyanosis in Fontan patients using Amplatzer occludersJozef Masura
Children s Cardiac Center, University Children s Hospital, Bratislava, Slovakia
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 71:843-9. 2008..To determine causes of cyanosis and to evaluate percutaneous management of cyanosis in a group of consecutive Fontan patients...
- Venoatrial shunt-assisted cavopulmonary anastomosisPramod Reddy Kandakure
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Innova Children s Heart Hospital, Tarnaka, Secunderabad, India
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 18:569-73. 2010..Venoatrial shunt-assisted bidirectional Glenn shunt surgery can be performed safely by optimizing intraoperative management strategies. It is economical and avoids the deleterious effects cardiopulmonary bypass...
- FLUID DYNAMICS OF RIGHT HEART BYPASS OPERATIONSCarol Lucas; Fiscal Year: 1999..unification of results obtained should help identify causes of graft failure and assist surgeons in selecting interventions to establish optimal pulmonary blood flow patterns and make appropriate allowances for patient growth. ..
- SELF REGULATING PUMP CHAMBER FOR THE ROLLER PUMPYEHUDA TAMARI; Fiscal Year: 1992..right ventricular venting; coronary suction; long term pumping for extracorporeal membrane oxygenator (ECMO) or left and/or right heart bypass. The Pump Chamber could provide the advantages of centrifugal pumps at a fraction of the cost.
- Bridge to neonatal Fontan repair of single ventricleMark Rodefeld; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Pediatric Thin-Film TiNi Catheter-Based Heart ValveDaniel Levi; Fiscal Year: 2005..Phase II studies will focus on accelerated wear testing, long-term in vivo animal testing, and manufacturing issues. ..
- Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development AwardRuey Kang Chang; Fiscal Year: 2006..The principal investigator will take advanced courses to enhance knowledge and skills needed for patient-oriented research and work with the mentors to conduct the proposed project during the award period. ..