Summary: Control of bleeding during or after surgery.
Publications207 found, 100 shown here
- Use of topical hemostatic agents during liver resectionFrederik Berrevoet
Department of General Surgery, Division of Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation Service, Ghent University Hospital Medical School, Ghent, Belgium
Dig Surg 24:288-93. 2007..In this overview the underlying mechanisms for these agents are discussed and several clinical data concerning liver surgery will be reported...
- Comparison of a new fibrin sealant with standard topical hemostatic agentsMyron Schwartz
Department of Surgery, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Arch Surg 139:1148-54. 2004..Fibrin sealants represent an improvement over conventional topical hemostatic agents, because they contain components that actively form clot. However, most available agents contain nonhuman protein, which represents an immunologic risk...
- Evaluation of the topical hemostatic efficacy and safety of TISSEEL VH S/D fibrin sealant compared with currently licensed TISSEEL VH in patients undergoing cardiac surgery: a phase 3, randomized, double-blind clinical studyJ Lowe
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 48:323-31. 2007..This study was performed to compare efficacy and safety of the two products...
- Pharmacological strategies to decrease transfusion requirements in patients undergoing surgeryRobert J Porte
Department of Surgery, Section of Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Drugs 62:2193-211. 2002..Future trials should also consider cost-effectiveness because of considerable differences in the costs of the available pro-haemostatic pharmacological agents...
- Reductions in blood loss with a bipolar sealer in total hip arthroplastyGerman A Marulanda
Department of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA
Expert Rev Med Devices 5:125-31. 2008..It appears to reduce tissue damage and smoke production in comparison with standard electrocautery. These results were found even in patients with demographic characteristics associated with a higher risk of blood-related complications...
- Feasibility study for robotic radical prostatectomy cautery-free neurovascular bundle preservationThomas E Ahlering
Department of Urology, University of California, Irvine, Medical Center, Orange, California 92868, USA
Urology 65:994-7. 2005..We evaluated the feasibility of preserving the nerve bundles without cautery or surgical clips...
- Reducing blood loss at myomectomy with use of a gelatin-thrombin matrix hemostatic sealantFrancisco Raga
Departamento de Obstetricia y Ginecologia, Hospital Clinico Universitario de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Fertil Steril 92:356-60. 2009..To evaluate the hemostatic efficacy and handling of gelatin-thrombin matrix in abdominal myomectomy...
- The use of a fibrin tissue sealant during laparoscopic partial nephrectomyR S Pruthi
Division of Urologic Surgery, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 427 Burnett Womack, CB 7235, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
BJU Int 93:813-7. 2004..To assess the feasibility and efficacy of commercially available fibrin tissue sealant as a haemostatic agent and collecting-system sealant during hand-assisted laparoscopic partial nephrectomy (LPN)...
- Treatment of suture line bleeding with a novel synthetic surgical sealant in a canine iliac PTFE graft modelA Hill
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
J Biomed Mater Res 58:308-12. 2001..CoSeal significantly reduced the time to hemostasis and blood loss in comparison to tamponade...
- Hemodilution and surgical hemostasis contribute significantly to transfusion requirements in patients undergoing coronary artery bypassSandra Dial
Department of Critical Care, SMBD Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 130:654-61. 2005....
- Improved intraoperative management of anastomotic bleeding during aortic reconstruction: results of a randomized controlled trialRobert C Hagberg
Seltara Norfolk General Hospital, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Am Surg 70:307-11. 2004..These results support the use of this novel sealant for the intraoperative management of anastomotic bleeding during aortic reconstruction procedures...
- Laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy without bipolar coagulation or sutures using a gelantine-thrombin matrix sealant (FloSeal): first support of a promising techniqueAndreas D Ebert
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, German Endometriosis Research Center Berlin Level III, Vivantes, Network for Health, Campus Humboldt, Am Nordgraben 2, Berlin 13509, Germany
Arch Gynecol Obstet 280:161-5. 2009....
- Complications of laparoscopic partial nephrectomy in 200 casesAnup P Ramani
Section of Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery, Glickman Urological Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Urol 173:42-7. 2005..We analyzed complications of the initial 200 cases treated with laparoscopic partial nephrectomy for a suspected renal tumor...
- Haemorrhoidectomy: randomised controlled clinical trial of Ligasure compared with Milligan-Morgan operationCarlos Vara Thorbeck
Surgery Department, Hospital Clinico Universitario Virgen de la Victoria, Malaga, Spain
Eur J Surg 168:482-4. 2002..To evaluate the efficacy of the Ligasure system in the management of haemorrhoids...
- Surgical hemostasis after tourniquet release does not reduce blood loss in knee replacement. A prospective randomized study of 81 patientsJ Widman
Department of Orthopedics, St Goran s Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Orthop Scand 70:268-70. 1999..We found no difference in total blood loss between the two groups and conclude that intraoperative release of the tourniquet for hemostasis is not effective for reducing blood loss in total knee replacement...
- Sutureless laparoscopic heminephrectomy: safety and efficacy in physiologic and chronically obstructed porcine kidneyIthaar H Derweesh
Department of Urology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Surg Innov 15:194-202. 2008..The procedure is reproducible, and resection/renorrhaphy was completed on average with approximately 12 minutes warm ischemia time...
- The role of prophylactic fresh frozen plasma in decreasing blood loss and correcting coagulopathy in cardiac surgery. A systematic reviewA C Casbard
Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Unit, 222 Euston Road, London, UK
Anaesthesia 59:550-8. 2004..There was no evidence that the prophylactic use of fresh frozen plasma affected peri-operative blood loss in cardiac surgery. There was some evidence that it may improve platelet count and fibrinogen concentration...
- Technical considerations using a composite graft for aortic root replacementHiroyuki Tanaka
Departments of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Showa University Fujigaoka Hospital, 1 30 Fujigaoka, Aoba ku, Yokohama 227 8501, Japan
Surg Today 34:289-92. 2004..Our technique of aortic root replacement based on a composite graft with some operative modifications seems to be safe and reliable, resulting in a satisfactory outcome...
- Suture line reinforcement using suction-assisted bioglue application during surgery for acute aortic dissectionZan Mitrev
Special Hospital for Cardiac Surgery Filip II, 1000 Skopje, Macedonia
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 6:147-9. 2007..Average daily chest tube drainage was 582+/-150 ml/day, with the duration of drainage of 2+/-0.9 days. In conclusion, this new hemostatic technique is simple to use and demonstrates excellent, immediate and early postoperative results...
- A phase 3, randomized, double-blind comparative study of the efficacy and safety of topical recombinant human thrombin and bovine thrombin in surgical hemostasisWilliam C Chapman
Department of Surgery, Section of Transplantation, Washington University, St Louis School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Am Coll Surg 205:256-65. 2007Plasma-derived bovine thrombin is used as a topical agent to improve surgical hemostasis, but development of antibodies to bovine hemostatic proteins has been associated with increased bleeding and thrombotic complications...
- Fibrinogen concentrate substitution therapy in patients with massive haemorrhage and low plasma fibrinogen concentrationsC Fenger-Eriksen
Centre for Haemophilia and Thrombosis, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Aarhus University Hospital, Brendstrupgaardsvej, 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Br J Anaesth 101:769-73. 2008..We audited the effects of fibrinogen concentrate therapy on laboratory and clinical outcome in patients with massive haemorrhage...
- Bleeding management with fibrinogen concentrate targeting a high-normal plasma fibrinogen level: a pilot studyN Rahe-Meyer
Department of Anaesthesiology, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Str 1, Hannover D 30625, Germany
Br J Anaesth 102:785-92. 2009..The aim was to compare haemostatic effects of conventional transfusion management and FIBTEM (thromboelastometry test)-guided fibrinogen concentrate administration...
- A polymeric sealant inhibits anastomotic suture hole bleeding more rapidly than gelfoam/thrombin: results of a randomized controlled trialMarc Glickman
Virginia Vascular Associates, 880 Kempsville Rd, Suite 1000, Norfolk, VA 23502, USA
Arch Surg 137:326-31; discussion 332. 2002..An experimental polymeric sealant (CoSeal [Cohesion Technologies, Palo Alto, Calif]) provides equivalent anastomotic sealing to Gelfoam (Upjohn, Kalamazoo, Mich)/thrombin during surgical placement of prosthetic vascular grafts...
- Thromboelastometry-guided administration of fibrinogen concentrate for the treatment of excessive intraoperative bleeding in thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm surgeryNiels Rahe-Meyer
Department of Anesthesiology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:694-702. 2009..We assessed the efficacy of intraoperative post-cardiopulmonary bypass administration of fibrinogen concentrate in elective thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm surgery...
- A phase 3b, open-label, single-group immunogenicity and safety study of topical recombinant thrombin in surgical hemostasisNeil K Singla
Lotus Clinical Research, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, CA, USA
J Am Coll Surg 209:68-74. 2009....
- Effective bone hemostasis and healing using radiofrequency and conductive fluidAlicia Bertone
Comparative Orthopedic Research Laboratories, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 446:278-85. 2006..At 12 weeks, all healing tibiae defects were as strong as undrilled tibiae. This may be an effective method to produce rapid hemostasis in bone without char or healing complications...
- Novel approach to bleeding in patients undergoing cardiac surgery with liver dysfunctionR G Stuklis
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Haematology, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 19:219-20. 2001..We describe two patients with significant liver dysfunction (Child--Pugh class B) who underwent cardiac surgery at our institution facilitated by the use of a prothrombin complex concentrate for the management of postoperative bleeding...
- Laparoscopic partial nephrectomy: technique, oncologic efficacy, and safetyWilliam K Johnston
Michigan Center for Minimally Invasive Urology, University of Michigan, Department of Urology, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0330, USA
Curr Urol Rep 6:19-28. 2005..This review aims to assist the urologic surgeon in determining which renal tumors to approach laparoscopically and which surgical approach best fits their laparoscopic expertise...
- The effectiveness of FloSeal matrix hemostatic agent in thyroid surgery: a prospective, randomized, control studyMario Testini
Section of General and Thoracic Surgery, Department of Applications in Surgery of Innovative Technologies, University Medical School of Bari, Policlinico, Piazza G Cesare 11, 70124, Bari, Italy
Langenbecks Arch Surg 394:837-42. 2009..The objective of this study was to compare the effectiveness of FloSeal matrix hemostatic agent with hemostatic surgical procedures and Tabotamp in thyroid surgery...
- Operative time and other outcomes of the electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing system (LigaSure) versus other methods for surgical hemostasis: a meta-analysisAlex Macario
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305 5640, USA
Surg Innov 15:284-91. 2008..0001) compared with conventional surgical hemostasis. Operative time was reduced with EBVS in 24 of 26 studies (P < .0001)...
- The effect of radiofrequency energy on nonweight-bearing areas of bone following shoulder and knee arthroscopyShane J Nho
Section of Sports Medicine, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Medical College of Rush University, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Orthopedics 28:392-9. 2005..Postoperative MRI of all patients did not reveal any osteonecrosis or subchondral edema. These findings indicate electrocautery, monopolar RFE, and bipolar RFE devices can be used safely for soft-tissue blation and hemostasis...
- Renal parenchymal hemostatic aids: glues and thingsTrevor Thompson
Scottish Lithotriptor Center, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Curr Opin Urol 13:209-14. 2003..This article reviews the recent literature in the field of renal parenchymal hemostasis and its role in improving outcomes and increasing applicability for laparoscopic nephron-sparing surgery...
- Comparison of monopolar electrocoagulation, bipolar electrocoagulation, Ultracision, and LigasureTheodore Diamantis
First Department of Surgery, Laiko General Hospital, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Surg Today 36:908-13. 2006..We also studied the healing process after their use...
- The laparoscopic cigarette spongeS S Gholami
Department of Urology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Urol 166:194. 2001..It may decrease operative time and facilitate difficult laparoscopic procedures...
- The use of LigaSure in patients with hyperthyroidismUmut Barbaros
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul Medical School, University of Istanbul, 34390 Capa, Istanbul, Turkey
Langenbecks Arch Surg 391:575-9. 2006..Our purpose was to evaluate the efficacy of the use of LigaSure in patients with hyperthyroidism...
- Prospective randomized study evaluating an absorbable cyanoacrylate for use in vascular reconstructionsAlan B Lumsden
Division of Vascular Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Vasc Surg 44:1002-1009; discussion 1009. 2006..This study evaluated the safety and efficacy of cyanoacrylate surgical sealant in establishing hemostasis of expanded polytetrafluoroethylene to arterial vascular anastomoses in arteriovenous (AV) grafts and femoral bypass grafts...
- Hepatic resections by means of electrothermal bipolar vessel device (EBVS) LigaSure V: early experienceR Campagnacci
Clinica di Chirurgia Generale e Metodologia Chirurgica, Ospedali Riuniti, University of Ancona, Ancona, Italy
Surg Endosc 21:2280-4. 2007..In this prospective trial we sought to evaluate the impact of EBVS on hepatic resections...
- The role of biological adhesive and suture material on rabbit hepatic injuryMurched Omar Taha
Project Institutional Program of Grants for Scientific Initiation, Federal University of Sao Paulo UNIFESP, Rua Botucatu 740, 04023 900 São Paulo SP, Brazil
Acta Cir Bras 21:310-4. 2006..To evaluate the performance of fibrin adhesive and absorbable suture thread in the repairing of hepatic injures in rabbits...
- 'Use of electrothermal vessel sealing with LigaSure device during laparoscopic splenectomy'U Barbaros
Istanbul University, Istanbul Medical School, Department of General Surgery, Capa, Istanbul, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 107:162-5. 2007..Main causes of conversion to open surgery are uncontrolled bleeding from splenic hilum and capsular injury of spleen during laparoscopic splenectomy (LS). We present the use of LigaSure in laparoscopic splenectomy for hemostasis...
- Modified sandwich technique for acute aortic dissectionToshihiro Ohata
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hyogo College of Medicine, 1 1 Mukogawa, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 663 8501, Japan
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 15:261-3. 2007..This modified sandwich technique will likely be useful for the surgical treatment of acute aortic dissection...
- Prospective, randomized, controlled clinical trial of a novel matrix hemostatic sealant in children undergoing adenoidectomyRonald A Mathiasen
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Oakland, CA 94611, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 131:601-5. 2004..This study is a prospective, randomized, controlled clinical trial of Floseal sealant compared to traditional suction cautery hemostasis in children undergoing adenoidectomy...
- Is nasal packing necessary following endoscopic sinus surgery?Richard R Orlandi
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Laryngoscope 114:1541-4. 2004..To determine the necessity of nasal packing or hemostatic agents or both following endoscopic sinus surgery...
- Use of fibrin glue (Tissucol) as a hemostatic in laparoscopic conservative treatment of spleen traumaS Olmi
Department of General Surgery, Center of Laparoscopic and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Ospedale San Gerardo, Monza, Italy
Surg Endosc 21:2051-4. 2007..This study aimed to evaluate the effect of fibrin glue in laparoscopic spleen-preserving procedures for traumatic rupture...
- A simple technique to control iatrogenic solid organ injury haemorrhageH i A Hadi
Department of General Surgery, Glan Clwyd Hospital, Denbighshire, Rhyl LL18 5UJ, UK
Surgeon 2:339-40, 361. 2004..Haemostasis from iatrogenic solid organ injury can be difficult to achieve. We describe the use of oxidized regenerated cellulose (Surgicel) and a Hanna-Belfast suction diathermy device to control minor solid organ haemorrhage..
- Safety and efficacy of using the LigaSure vessel sealing system for securing the pedicles in vaginal hysterectomy: randomised controlled trialM A Hefni
Department of Gynaecology, Benenden Hospital, Kent TN17 7AX, UK
BJOG 112:329-33. 2005..To assess the safety and efficacy of using the LigaSure vessel sealing system for securing the pedicles during vaginal hysterectomy in comparison with the conventional method of securing the pedicles by suture ligation...
- Blood loss minimization and blood salvage techniques for complex spinal surgeryR Shay Bess
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics, University Orthopaedic Center, 590 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84106, USA
Neurosurg Clin N Am 17:227-34, v. 2006..A substantial amount of research has been directed toward reducing perioperative blood loss in spinal surgery. More efforts need to be directed toward effective perioperative blood management in complex spinal surgery...
- Critical bleeding in vascular surgery: expanding the indication of recombinant activated factor VIIWael A Tawfick
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Western Vascular Institute, University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland
Vascular 14:32-7. 2006..We found it effective if administered early with measures to achieve hemodynamic stability and correction of acidosis...
- Commercial fibrin sealants are not equivalent in a rabbit liver-resection model which quantitatively evaluates hemostasis and formation of adhesionsI Nur
Omrix Biopharmaceuticals SA, Brussels, Belgium
Eur Surg Res 37:159-65. 2005..In direct comparisons with Tissucol and Beriplast, Quixil was associated with the shortest bleeding times, the lowest volume of sealant used and the lowest score of abdominal adhesions...
- [Our experiences with nephrectomy with special emphasis on using biocompatible materials]Zoltan Szabo
Bács Kiskun Megyei Onkormányzat Kórháza, Urológiai Osztály, Kecskemet
Magy Seb 58:125-8. 2005..We used different types of biocompatible materials for haemostasis. We describe our own recommendations and what is described in literature...
- Electrosurgical bipolar vessel sealing during vaginal hysterectomyH S Cronje
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 91:243-5. 2005..To compare electrosurgical bipolar vessel sealing (EBVS) with traditional suturing during vaginal hysterectomy...
- Safer endoscopic gastric mucosal resection: preoperative proton pump inhibitor administrationYoshiyuki Watanabe
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Internal Medicine, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Kawasaki, Kanagawa, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:1675-80. 2006....
- Vascular occlusion to decrease blood loss during hepatic resectionElijah Dixon
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Am J Surg 190:75-86. 2005..This led to the refinement of inflow and outflow occlusive techniques. The utility of the different methods of inflow and outflow techniques for hepatic surgery were reviewed...
- Laparoscopic liver resection using radiofrequency coagulationD Hompes
Abdominal Surgery, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, Leuven, 3000, Belgium
Surg Endosc 21:175-80. 2007..The aim of this prospective, nonrandomized study was to investigate the potential contribution of RF energy to the limitation of intraoperative blood loss in patients undergoing LLR...
- A prospective randomized comparison of two instruments for dissection and vessel sealing in laparoscopic colorectal surgeryM Hubner
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital of Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, 8091, Zurich, Switzerland
Surg Endosc 21:592-4. 2007..A newly available, laparoscopic 5-mm bipolar vessel sealing device promises substantial advantages over the 10-mm instrument. This study compared the safety as well as the technical and surgical aspects of these different tools...
- Minilaparotomy myomectomy: a minimally invasive alternative for the large fibroid uterusMark H Glasser
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, San Rafael, California 94903, USA
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 12:275-83. 2005..To assess the efficacy of performing myomectomies through 3- to 6-cm incisions for the removal of myomas up to 14 cm in diameter...
- Maintenance of hemostasis in transoral robotic surgeryNeil G Hockstein
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 67:220-4. 2005..One potential limitation is the management of bleeding in transoral pharyngeal and laryngeal surgery, which is critical to prevent both intravascular volume loss and aspiration...
- LigaSure vs clamp-and-tie technique to achieve hemostasis in total thyroidectomy for benign multinodular goiter: a prospective randomized studyOlivier Saint Marc
Service de Chirurgie Digestive Endocrinienne et Thoracique, centre hospitalier régional d Orléans, Orleans, France
Arch Surg 142:150-6; discussion 157. 2007....
- A new ligature-suture technique and instrument to control difficult pharyngeal and laryngeal hemorrhageGyorgy Lichtenberger
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Szent Rókus Hospital and Institutions, Budapest, Hungary
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 136:486-8. 2007
- Laparoscopic intrahepatic Glissonian approach for right hepatectomy is safe, simple, and reproducibleB Topal
Department of Abdominal Surgery, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, Leuven, Belgium
Surg Endosc 21:2111. 2007..This technique was performed laparoscopically for the last 2 among 10 LRHs, and the results are presented...
- Tonsillectomy using the thermal welding systemGeorge T Karatzias
Department of Otolaryngology, General Hospital of Larissa, Larissa, Greece
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 67:225-9. 2005..To evaluate and introduce a new method of tonsillectomy using the Thermal Welding System (TWS)...
- Vascular occlusion techniques during liver resectionThomas M van Gulik
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 24:274-81. 2007..Safe liver surgery requires knowledge of the regular techniques of vascular occlusion for 'on demand' use when necessitated to reduce blood loss...
- Phase 3, randomized, double-blind study of plasma-derived human thrombin versus bovine thrombin in achieving hemostasis in patients undergoing surgeryCataldo Doria
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 24:785-94. 2008..To compare the effectiveness of plasma-derived human thrombin and bovine thrombin for achieving hemostasis during surgery...
- Extraparenchymal control of hepatic veins during mesohepatectomyFelice Giuliante
Department of Surgery, Hepatobiliary Surgery Unit, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, School of Medicine, Rome, Italy
J Am Coll Surg 206:496-502. 2008....
- A prospective study of recombinant activated factor VII administered by continuous infusion to inhibitor patients undergoing elective major orthopaedic surgery: a pharmacokinetic and efficacy evaluationChristopher A Ludlam
Department of Haematology, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Br J Haematol 120:808-13. 2003....
- Chitosan hemostatic dressing for renal parenchymal wound sealing in a porcine model: implications for laparoscopic partial nephrectomy techniqueHua Xie
Providence St Vincent Medical Center, Portland, Oregon 97225, USA
JSLS 12:18-24. 2008..This study was to evaluate the feasibility of using a novel chitosan hemostatic dressing to control hemorrhage and urinary leakage by sealing off the parenchymal wound following LPN...
- A comparison of recombinant thrombin to bovine thrombin as a hemostatic ancillary in patients undergoing peripheral arterial bypass and arteriovenous graft proceduresFred A Weaver
USC CardioVascular Thoracic Institute, Los Angeles, CA 90033 4612, USA
J Vasc Surg 47:1266-73. 2008..of patients enrolled in a larger double-blind, randomized, multicenter trial, which evaluated the comparative safety and efficacy of rThrombin and bovine plasma-derived thrombin (bThrombin) when used as adjuncts to surgical hemostasis.
- [Vaginal hysterectomy: operative technique used at Caen]P von Theobald
Service de Gynecologie, CHU de Caen, 14033 Caen Cedex, France
J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 31:589-96. 2002..Describe the simplified technique we use for vaginal hysterectomy and report results from a retrospective series of 490 patients operated on between 1990 and 1998...
- Thyroid surgery: use of the LigaSure Vessel Sealing System versus conventional knot tyingTamer Youssef
Surgery and Endocrine Surgery, Mansoura Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura Egypt
Int J Surg 6:323-7. 2008..LigaSuretrade mark Vessel Sealing System (Valley Lab, Boulder, CO) in patients undergoing thyroid surgery. We hypothesized that use of the LigaSure would reduce operating time while resulting in a similar rate of complications...
- Intrahepatic Glissonian approach for laparoscopic right segmental liver resectionsMarcel Autran C Machado
Department of Gastroenterology, University of Sao Paulo, Rua Evangelista Rodrigues 407, 05463 000 São Paulo, Brazil
Am J Surg 196:e38-42. 2008..However, laparoscopic liver resection has not been widely developed and anatomical segmental liver resection is not currently performed due to difficulty to control segmental Glissonean pedicles laparoscopically...
- Significant merits of a fibrin sealant in the presence of coagulopathy following paediatric cardiac surgery: randomised controlled trialM Codispoti
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Sciennes Road, Edinburgh EH3 9YW, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:200-5. 2002..This study was designed to investigate the role of the topical application of a fibrin sealant, Beriplast P (BP), in the presence of coagulopathy following paediatric cardiac surgery...
- Comparison of the topical haemostatic agents for the prevention of suture hole bleeding. An experimental studyYahya Unlu
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Ataturk University, 25170 Erzurum, Turkey
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 23:441-4. 2002..using a rabbit vascular graft model we investigated the use of fibrin glue (FG), gelatin-resorcinol-formaldehyde (GRF), and collagen (C) as a means of reducing suture hole bleeding...
- Evaluation of a novel hemostatic device in an ovine parenchymal organ bleeding model of normal and impaired hemostasisA Simon Turner
Department of Clinical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
J Biomed Mater Res 63:37-47. 2002..Furthermore, under conditions of compromised coagulation, treatment with CoStasis demonstrates a reduction in average blood loss when compared to treatment with fibrin sealant...
- Power-assisted partial adenoidectomyKimsey Rodriguez
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, Louisiana 70121, USA
Laryngoscope 112:26-8. 2002..To describe partial adenoidectomy using a powered microdebrider and review the experience with the procedure...
- Control of bone bleeding at the sternum and iliac crest donor sites using a collagen-based composite combined with autologous plasma: results of a randomized controlled trialR Sherman
University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, USA
Orthopedics 24:137-41. 2001..0001 for most comparisons). There were no adverse events related to experimental treatment use. The results support the use of this investigational hemostatic agent to control cancellous bone bleeding...
- What is the evidence for using hemostatic agents in surgery?Brian L Erstad
Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science, College of Pharmacy, Tucson, Arizona 85721 0207, USA
Eur Spine J 13:S28-33. 2004..Additionally, cost-effectiveness analyses are needed to help define the role of these agents based on the data that is available...
- Ultrasound-guided radiofrequency-assisted segmental arterioportal vascular occlusion in laparoscopic segmental liver resectionG Navarra
Department of Surgical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Messina, G Martino University Hospital, V Consolare Valeria, 98100, Messina, Italy
Surg Endosc 22:1724-8. 2008..However, an effective technique that allows the closure of segmental vessels during systematic segmentectomies before resection still is lacking in laparoscopic surgery...
- Topical oxidized cellulose for tubal hemorrhage hemostasis during laparoscopic sterilizationJ B Sharma
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Maulana Azad Medical College and Associated Lok Nayak Hospital, New Delhi, India
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 82:221-2. 2003
- Prospective, randomized, controlled trial of a hemostatic sealant in children undergoing adenotonsillectomyStephen H Jo
Head and Neck Surgery Department, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Oakland, CA 94611, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:454-8. 2007..To evaluate the efficacy of Floseal as a hemostatic sealant compared to traditional electrocautery hemostasis after cold knife adenotonsillectomy...
- Evaluation of poly-N-acetyl glucosamine as a hemostatic agent in patients undergoing cardiac catheterization: a double-blind, randomized studySamer F Najjar
Department of Surgery, VA Boston Healthcare System, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02132, USA
J Trauma 57:S38-41. 2004..This is the first blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy of poly-N-acetyl glucosamine (p-GLcNAc) in improving hemostasis in patients undergoing cardiac catheterization...
- Laparoscopic partial nephrectomy for renal tumor: Nagoya experienceYoko Yoshikawa
Department of Urology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya City, Aichi, Japan
Urology 64:259-63. 2004..To clarify the indication for a vascular clamp during laparoscopic partial nephrectomy, the clinical results of 17 patients who underwent the procedure for small renal tumors were reviewed...
- Tranexamic acid and primary coronary artery bypass surgery: a prospective studyMadan M Maddali
Department of Anesthesia, Royal Hospital, Seeb, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 15:313-9. 2007..Post-bypass hemostasis was achieved faster, fibrinolysis was less, and there was no evidence of increased incidence of graft occlusion in the group given tranexamic acid...
- [Influence of intraoperatively applied current of coagulation on the postoperative course in tonsillectomy]E G Thomaser
Klinik fur Hals, Nasen und Ohrenkrankheiten, Hals und Gesichtschirurgie des Kantonspitals Liestal
Laryngorhinootologie 83:501-6. 2004..The applied coagulation current was registered in Watt per second (Ws) in 63 patients. Intraoperative blood loss, operation time, experience of the surgeon, postoperative pain and the consumption of analgesics were registered...
- The role of central venous pressure and type of vascular control in blood loss during major liver resectionsVassilios Smyrniotis
Department of Surgery, University of Athens School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
Am J Surg 187:398-402. 2004..Our study aims at assessing the effects of different levels of CVP in relation to type of vascular control on perioperative blood loss and patient outcome...
- Does manual removal of the placenta affect operative blood loss during cesarean section?Mert Gol
Dokuz Eylul University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Izmir, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 112:57-60. 2004..To investigate whether manual removal of the placenta is associated with significantly more blood loss compared to spontaneous separation of the placenta during cesarean section...
- Use of recombinant factor VIIa as a rescue treatment for intractable bleeding following repeat aortic arch repairGreg Stratmann
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 76:2094-7. 2003....
- Impact of pedicle clamping in pediatric liver resectionPhilipp O Szavay
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Children s Hospital, University of Tuebingen, Hoppe Seyler Strasse 3, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Surg Oncol 17:17-22. 2008..The purpose of this study was to analyze pedicle clamping during pediatric liver resection in terms of hepato-cellular injury and blood loss...
- Tissue glues and nonsuturing techniquesNathan F Pursifull
Department of Urology, Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam, Houston, USA
Curr Opin Urol 17:396-401. 2007..This article details the diverse urologic applications of tissue glues and hemostatic agents over the past 3 years in the management of genitourinary injuries, surgical wounds, and complications...
- Superiority of electrocautery over the suture method for achieving cervical cone bed hemostasisAparna A Kamat
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Obstet Gynecol 102:726-30. 2003..To compare the efficacy of electrocautery with that of the suture method for achieving hemostasis of the cervical cone bed...
- Selective hepatic vascular exclusion versus Pringle maneuver in major liver resections: prospective studyVassilios E Smyrniotis
Second Department of Surgery and Liver Transplant Unit, Athens University Medical School, Aretaeion Hospital, 76 Vassilisis Sofias Avenue, 11528 Athens, Greece
World J Surg 27:765-9. 2003..It is much more effective than the Pringle maneuver for controlling intraoperative bleeding, and it is associated with better postoperative liver function and shorter hospital stay...
- The influence of desmopressin on blood loss during spinal fusion surgery in neuromuscular patientsM Letts
Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:475-8. 1998..SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: Desmopressin acetate has been shown to improve bleeding times and to provide surgical hemostasis in patients with platelet disorders...
- Human recombinant factor IX: safety and efficacy studies in hemophilia B patients previously treated with plasma-derived factor IX concentratesD A Roth
Center for Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Blood 98:3600-6. 2001..Participants received rFIX for pharmacokinetic studies, treatment of or prophylaxis against hemorrhage, or surgical hemostasis, and were assessed at 3-month intervals for 2 years. Fifty-six subjects were treated...
- Use of recombinant activated factor VII in intractable bleeding during pediatric neurosurgical proceduresLynn Uhrig
Pediatric Anesthesiology and Neuro Critical Care Unit, Faculté de Médecine René Descartes, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
Pediatr Crit Care Med 8:576-9. 2007..To report the use of recombinant activated factor VII (NovoSeven; Novo Nordisk A/S, Bagsvaerd, Denmark) in children undergoing major neurosurgical procedures and experiencing massive uncontrolled hemorrhagic shock...
- Regional hemostatic status and blood requirements after total knee arthroplasty with and without tranexamic acid or aprotininJ M Engel
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Anesth Analg 92:775-80. 2001..The use of bone cement as well as surgical hemostasis before wound closure may be regarded as reasons for this...
- [Liver rupture of a subcapsular haematoma after pharmacologic revascularization (Streptokinase) for acute myocardial infarction--case report]Dana Tomescu
Centrul ATI, Institutul Clinic Fundeni, Bucuresti, Romania
Chirurgia (Bucur) 103:577-82. 2008..5 L of blood), due to spontaneous rupture of a subcapsular hematoma in the liver. The surgical hemostasis was performed on the liver parenchyma laceration. Duration of surgery was 4 hours...
- Quality and quantity of volume replacement in trauma patientsO Chiara
SSD Trauma Team, Niguarda Ca Granda Hospital, Milan, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 74:303-6. 2008..Moreover, increases in blood pressure before surgical hemostasis have been shown to disrupt clotting and increase bleeding, a fact that has been confirmed by a number of ..
- Possible risks in combining endoscopic and surgical therapy of bleeding peptic ulcersJ Olejnik
Department of General Surgery, Derer s University Hospital, Slovak Postgraduate Academy of Medicine, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Hepatogastroenterology 50:1169-72. 2003..The aim of this study was to objectively assess the contribution of the contemporary algorithm of therapy with the use of endoscopic and surgical hemostasis techniques for the therapy of bleeding peptic ulcers.
- Use of recombinant factor IX and thromboelastography in a patient with hemophilia B undergoing liver transplantation: a case reportL De Pietri
Division of Anesthesiology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Transplant Proc 40:2077-9. 2008..with hemophilia using high-purity and/or recombinant FIX, which has been shown to be safe and effective in surgical hemostasis. Liver transplantation is the only potentially curative treatment available for these patients, providing a ..
- Exsanguination cardiac arrest in rats treated by 60 min, but not 75 min, emergency preservation and delayed resuscitation is associated with intact outcomeTomas Drabek
Safar Center for Resuscitation Research, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Resuscitation 75:114-23. 2007..EPR) is a new approach for resuscitation of exsanguination cardiac arrest (CA) victims to buy time for surgical hemostasis. EPR uses a cold aortic flush to induce deep hypothermic preservation, followed by resuscitation with ..
- Recombinant human thrombin: in surgical hemostasisJamie D Croxtall
Adis, a Wolters Kluwer Business, Auckland, New Zealand
BioDrugs 23:333-8. 2009..rhThrombin was generally well tolerated during the treatment and 1-month follow-up periods in adult surgical patients, with a tolerability profile similar to that of bThrombin...
- Multiple pancreaticoduodenal penetrating gunshot trauma evolving into acute necrotizing pancreatitis. A combined surgical and minimally invasive approachMario Testini
Section of General and Thoracic Surgery, Department of Applications in Surgery of Innovative Technologies, University Medical School of Bari, Bari, Italy
JOP 9:624-32. 2008..Surgical treatment is still controversial, and the possibilities offered by the safe and effective mini-invasive techniques seem to open new, articulated perspectives for the treatment of pancreaticoduodenal injury complications...
- A modified Ferguson hemorrhoidectomy for circumferential prolapsed hemorrhoids with skin tagsLiang Tsai Wang
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Dis Colon Rectum 51:456-61. 2008..This details the operative procedure and compares the results of other radical methods in patients with circumferential hemorrhoidal disease...
- Manufacturing Process for Albumin-ICG Solder & Denatured Albumin ScaffoldYasmin Wadia; Fiscal Year: 2006..3) Blood conservation by reducing transfusion requirements. 4) Can be used laparoscopically for elective surgeries on liver and kidney. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel Protein-Free Material for Minimally Compressive Surgical HemostasisPATRICK STEVEN COTTLER; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): "Novel protein-free material for minimally compressive surgical hemostasis" (Patrick S. Cottler, P.I...
- Portable High Intensity Focused Ultrasonic SystemBRUCE MORTIMER; Fiscal Year: 2002..An efficient amplifier in a portable HIFU system would greatly accelerate dissemination of HIFU technology for these applications, and other research purposes. ..
- Chitosan hemostatic device for laparoscopic applicationsHua Xie; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Focused Ultrasound for Treatment of NervesShahram Vaezy; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is our goal to develop image- guided focused ultrasound as a non-invasive alternative for the treatment of spasticity and pain. ..
- Nanostenting Hydrogels for Sinus SurgeryRICHARD ORLANDI; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these Phase I studies will determine the feasibility and the optimal chemical properties of a nanostenting HA gel for human trials. ..
- ORGAN HEMOSTASIS IN TRAUMA BY HIGH INTENSITY ULTRASOUNDShahram Vaezy; Fiscal Year: 2003..Thus, the investigators believe that their proposed studies will result in a new and clinically applicable methodology for reducing mortality and morbidity in abnormal trauma. ..
- UTERINE TUMOR TREATMENT USING HIGH INTENSITY ULTRASOUNDShahram Vaezy; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultimately, this treatment approach may also provide an option to preserve fertility and improve reproductive outcomes in patients with fibroid tumors. ..
- Reducing Sedative Exposure in Ventilated ICU PatientsLinda Chlan; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- UGI Hemorrhage and Barrett's EpitheliumDennis Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2008..This award will continue to enhance the applicant's research productivity and provide skilled mentoring for young investigators, so they can become independent patient-oriented investigators in digestive diseases. ..
- Effect of lipid modification on peripheral arterial disease (PAD)Christie Ballantyne; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, these studies will advance our understanding of the molecular mechanisms of inflammation and thrombosis associated with aggressive lipid modification. ..
- Systematic Integration POR into Clinical Pathway of HCCMyron Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2006..This program provides a truly remarkable opportunity to make meaningful progress in understanding, preventing and treating HCC, while in the process providing fertile training ground for young physician-scientists. ..
- Role of Coagulation System Variability: Cardiac SurgeryBrian Donahue; Fiscal Year: 2006..The project will make extensive use of data in the Vanderbilt Cardiac Surgery Registry, a valuable database of genetic and clinical data presently being prospectively collected on elective adult cardiac surgery patients...
- Enriched IVIG for the treatment of West Nile VirusIsrael Nur; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the absence of sufficient WN antibodies in convalescent donors, hyper-immune donors treated with an attenuated vaccine may be explored as an alternative source of plasma. ..
- HOMOCYSTEINE AND PROGRESSION OF ATHEROSCLEROSISLloyd Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..