Summary: A surgical operation for the relief of pressure in a body compartment or on a body part. (From Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications318 found, 100 shown here
- Is spinal stenosis better treated surgically or nonsurgically?Aravind Athiviraham
Department of Surgery, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 458:90-3. 2007..A majority of patients declining surgery had persistent symptoms. The majority of patients who choose surgery will be improved but will have residual symptoms and therefore should be counseled about realistic expectations...
- A multicenter, prospective, randomized trial evaluating the X STOP interspinous process decompression system for the treatment of neurogenic intermittent claudication: two-year follow-up resultsJames F Zucherman
St Mary s Hospital, San Francisco, California, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1351-8. 2005..A randomized, controlled, prospective multicenter trial comparing the outcomes of neurogenic intermittent claudication (NIC) patients treated with the interspinous process decompression system (X STOP) with patients treated nonoperatively...
- Instrumented and noninstrumented posterolateral fusion in adult spondylolisthesis--a prospective randomized study: part 2H Moller
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:1716-21. 2000..A prospective randomized study was performed...
- Early hemicraniectomy in patients with complete middle cerebral artery infarctionS Schwab
Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Stroke 29:1888-93. 1998..Several reports indicate a beneficial effect of hemicraniectomy in this situation. However, whether and when decompressive surgery is indicated in these patients is still a matter of debate...
- Surgical decompression for diabetic sensorimotor polyneuropathyDavid R Cornblath
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Diabetes Care 30:421-2. 2007
- Practice Advisory: utility of surgical decompression for treatment of diabetic neuropathy: report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of NeurologyVinay Chaudhry
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center, Baltimore, MD, USA
Neurology 66:1805-8. 2006b>Surgical decompression at the site of anatomic narrowing has been promoted as an alternative treatment for patients with symptomatic diabetic neuropathy...
- Interspinous process decompression with the X-STOP device for lumbar spinal stenosis: a 4-year follow-up studyDimitriy G Kondrashov
St Mary s Spine Center, One Shrader Street, Suite 450, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 19:323-7. 2006..Our results suggest that intermediate-term outcomes of X-STOP surgery are stable over time as measured by the Oswestry Disability Index...
- Effects of induced hypertension on intracranial pressure and flow velocities of the middle cerebral arteries in patients with large hemispheric strokeStefan Schwarz
Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Stroke 33:998-1004. 2002..Our aim was to prospectively evaluate the effects of induced arterial hypertension in patients with large ischemic stroke...
- Hemicraniectomy and moderate hypothermia in patients with severe ischemic strokeD Georgiadis
Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Stroke 33:1584-8. 2002....
- Aggressive decompressive surgery in patients with massive hemispheric embolic cerebral infarction associated with severe brain swellingK Mori
Department of Neurosurgery, Juntendo University, Izunagaoka Hospital, Tagata-gun, Shizuoka, Japan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 143:483-91; discussion 491-2. 2001..Decompressive surgical treatment dramatically improves the mortality of massive hemispheric infarction...
- Surgical or nonoperative treatment for lumbar spinal stenosis? A randomized controlled trialAntti Malmivaara
Finnish Office for Health Technology Assessment, National Research and Development Center, FinOHTA Stakes, Helsinki, Finland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1-8. 2007..A randomized controlled trial...
- Cerebral hemodynamic changes gauged by transcranial Doppler ultrasonography in patients with posttraumatic brain swelling treated by surgical decompressionEdson Bor-Seng-Shu
Division of Neurosurgery, Hospital das Clinicas, Sao Paulo University Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Neurosurg 104:93-100. 2006....
- A pilot study comparing percutaneous decompression with decompressive laparotomy for acute abdominal compartment syndrome in thermal injuryBarbara A Latenser
Department of Trauma, Cook County Hospital Burn Center, 700 S Wood Street, Chicago, IL, USA
J Burn Care Rehabil 23:190-5. 2002..Percutaneous decompression is a safe and effective method of decreasing IAH and preventing ACS in patients with less than 80% TBSA thermal injury...
- Effects of body position on intracranial pressure and cerebral perfusion in patients with large hemispheric strokeStefan Schwarz
Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Stroke 33:497-501. 2002..The purpose of this study was to prospectively evaluate the effects of body position in patients with large supratentorial stroke...
- Mechanism of acute ascites formation after trauma resuscitationJohn C Mayberry
Department of Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland 97239, USA
Arch Surg 138:773-6. 2003..Severely injured patients have been observed to acutely develop ascites; however, the pathogenesis of this rare phenomenon is poorly understood...
- Spinal radiation before surgical decompression adversely affects outcomes of surgery for symptomatic metastatic spinal cord compressionZ Ghogawala
Departments of Neurosurgery and Orthopedics, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:818-24. 2001..RESULTS: The major wound complication rate for patients who had radiation before surgical decompression and stabilization was 32%, or threefold, higher than the 12% observed in patients who had de novo surgery (..
- Surgical decompression in lower-extremity diabetic peripheral neuropathyAndrew J Rader
Patoka Valley Podiatry, PC, Jasper, IN, USA
J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 95:446-50. 2005Peripheral neuropathy can be a devastating complication of diabetes mellitus. This article describes surgical decompression as a means of restoring sensation and relieving painful neuropathy symptoms...
- Combination treatment of venous thoracic outlet syndrome: open surgical decompression and intraoperative angioplastyDarren B Schneider
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0222, USA
J Vasc Surg 40:599-603. 2004..Therefore we initiated a prospective trial at 2 referral institutions to evaluate the safety and efficacy of combined thoracic outlet decompression with intraoperative PTA performed in 1 stage...
- Intraparenchymal hemorrhage after surgical decompression of a Sylvian fissure arachnoid cystBabak Esmaeeli
Neurol India 54:320-1. 2006
- Urodynamic study of bladder function for patients with lumbar spinal stenosis treated by surgical decompressionM L Cong
Department of Orthopaedics, Jinan Central Hospital, Shandong University, Jinan, China
J Int Med Res 38:1149-55. 2010..Urodynamic study was important in the diagnosis of neurogenic bladder dysfunction, prevention of renal deterioration and assessment of post-operative effects after surgical decompression for patients with lumbar spinal stenosis.
- Reevaluation of routine gastrointestinal decompression after gastrectomy for gastric cancerHo Young Chung
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Taegu, Korea
Hepatogastroenterology 50:1190-2. 2003..We reviewed postoperative courses of patients with gastric cancer who underwent gastrectomy to evaluate the need for routine postoperative gastrointestinal decompression...
- Effects of decompressive craniectomy on brain tissue oxygen in patients with intracranial hypertensionM Jaeger
Klinik für Neurochirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Leipzig, Johannisallee 34, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 74:513-5. 2003..P(ti)O(2) and ICP remained at non-critical ranges postoperatively. Despite these beneficial effects on ICP and P(ti)O(2), the patients' clinical status remained poor with two in a persistent vegetative state and one dead...
- Factors predicting prognosis after decompressive hemicraniectomy for hemispheric infarctionA A Rabinstein
Department of Neurology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
Neurology 67:891-3. 2006..On multivariate analysis, older age independently predicted poor recovery (odds ratio 2.9 per 10-year increase in age)...
- Acute traumatic central cord syndrome--experience using surgical decompression with open-door expansile cervical laminoplastyJuan Uribe
Department of Neurosurgey, The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Surg Neurol 63:505-10; discussion 510. 2005..In the present study, we reviewed the safety and short-term neurological outcome after expansile cervical laminoplasty in the treatment of acute central cord syndrome...
- Carpal tunnel syndrome in elderly patients: results of surgical decompressionMauro Mondelli
EMG Service, ASL 7, Siena, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 9:168-76. 2004..This, however, is not a contraindication for surgical release in elderly patients...
- Release of abdominal compartment syndrome improves survival in patients with burn injuryKristina G Hobson
Department of Surgery, University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, USA
J Trauma 53:1129-33; discussion 1133-4. 2002..Abdominal compartment syndrome (ACS) has rarely been described as a complication of burn injury. This study describes cases of ACS in patients with burn injury and the physiologic results of abdominal release...
- A role for muscle relaxation in patients with abdominal compartment syndrome?Jan J De Waele
Intensive Care Med 29:332. 2003
- Acute paraspinal muscle compartment syndrome treated with surgical decompression: a case reportIzuru Kitajima
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Toranomon Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Sports Med 30:283-5. 2002
- Acute intestinal distress syndrome: the importance of intra-abdominal pressureM L N G Malbrain
Intensive Care Unit, Ziekenhuis Netwerk Antwerpen, Antwerpen, Belgium
Minerva Anestesiol 74:657-73. 2008..Finally, noninvasive medical management options for IAH, surgical treatment for ACS and management of the open abdomen will be briefly discussed...
- [Decompressive craniectomy for massive infarction of middle cerebral artery territory]K Kuroki
Department of Neurosurgery, Hiroshima General Hospital, 1-3-3 Jigozen, Hatsukaichi-city, Hiroshima 738-8503, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 29:831-5. 2001..Even though patients in this study were elderly, decompressive craniectomy reduced mortality and improved functional performance, so it seems that this surgery should be aggressively considered for massive infarction of MCA territory...
- Myelopathy caused by ossification of ligamentum flavumKa Kin Li
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, and the Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Yan Chai Hospital, Hong Kong
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:E308-12. 2002..Retrospective study of seven cases of ossification of ligamentum flavum from two urban hospitals in a Chinese population...
- Arthroscopic subacromial decompressionR J Hawkins
Steadman Hawkins Clinic and Steadman Hawkins Sports Medicine Foundation, Vail, Colo 81657, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 10:225-30. 2001..4. No difference between Workers' Compensation cases and the other cases was seen (P <.7). Finger palpation can help to improve outcomes by allowing the surgeon to assess the adequacy of decompression...
- Interspinous process decompression (IPD) system (X-STOP) for the treatment of lumbar spinal stenosisJohn C Chiu
Department of Neurospine Surgery, California Center for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, California Spine Institute Medical Center, Newbury Park, CA, USA
Surg Technol Int 15:265-75. 2006..The X-STOP IPD system, surgical indications, operative techniques, and the potential complications and their avoidance are described and discussed herein...
- The postsurgical lumbosacral spine. Magnetic resonance imaging evaluation following intervertebral disk surgery, surgical decompression, intervertebral bony fusion, and spinal instrumentationJ R Jinkins
Department of Radiology, State University of New York Health Sciences Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 39:1-29. 2001....
- Computerized expert system for evaluation of automated visual fields from the Ischemic Optic Neuropathy Decompression Trial: methods, baseline fields, and six-month longitudinal follow-upSteven E Feldon
Department of Ophthalmology, Center for Visual Science and the Eye Institute, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York, USA
Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 102:269-303. 2004..To identify the pattern and within-pattern severity of field defects for study eyes at baseline and 6-month follow-up...
- Influences of surgical decompression on the dorsal horn after chronic constriction injury: changes in peptidergic and delta-opioid receptor (+) nerve terminalsT J Tseng
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Neuroscience 156:758-68. 2008..These findings suggest that CCI and decompression cause different patterns in peptidergic and DOR (+) nerve terminals in the dorsal horn...
- Outcomes following surgical decompression for dysthyroid orbitopathy (Graves' disease)Samuel C Leong
Department of Paediatric Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Alder Hey Children s NHS Foundation Trust, Liverpool, England, UK
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 18:37-43. 2010..This article focuses on outcomes following orbital decompression...
- Sequential-design, multicenter, randomized, controlled trial of early decompressive craniectomy in malignant middle cerebral artery infarction (DECIMAL Trial)Katayoun Vahedi
Service de Neurologie, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris, France
Stroke 38:2506-17. 2007..There is no effective medical treatment of malignant middle cerebral artery (MCA) infarction. The purpose of this clinical trial was to assess the efficacy of early decompressive craniectomy in patients with malignant MCA infarction...
- Factors affecting the outcome of decompressive craniectomy for large hemispheric infarctions: a prospective cohort studyC Kilincer
Department of Neurosurgery, Trakya University Medical Faculty, Edirne, Turkey
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 147:587-94; discussion 594. 2005Although surgical decompression of large hemispheric infarction is often a life-saving procedure, many patients remain functionally dependent...
- Do patient expectations of spinal surgery relate to functional outcome?Albert Yee
The Spine Program, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Room MG 371 B, Toronto, ON, Canada, M4N 3M5
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:1154-61. 2008..Expectations for surgery were met in 81% of patients. In a subset of patients (21 of 143), expectations were not met. These patients reported lower mean preoperative SF-36 general health, vitality, and mean mental component scores...
- The expanded endonasal approach: a fully endoscopic transnasal approach and resection of the odontoid process: technical case reportAmin B Kassam
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Pittsburgh and Medical Center, Presbyterian University Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Neurosurgery 57:E213; discussion E213. 2005..The report demonstrates the feasibility of this approach and larger clinical series with long-term follow-up will be needed to determine the reproducibility and validation of any potential benefits...
- Hemicraniectomy for massive middle cerebral artery territory infarction: a systematic reviewRishi Gupta
Department of Neurology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Stroke 35:539-43. 2004..Our objective was to review the literature to identify patients most likely to benefit from hemicraniectomy...
- Preliminary results of a soft novel lumbar intervertebral prothesis (DIAM) in the degenerative spinal pathologyA Mariottini
Department of Ophthalmological and Neurosurgical Science, Siena University, Siena, Italy
Acta Neurochir Suppl 92:129-31. 2005..Satisfying results were obtained in 97% of cases, inducing the authors to consider the device a reliable tool for curing low-back pain and sciatica. Selection criteria are exposed and discussed...
- Safety and therapeutical benefit of hemicraniectomy combined with mild hypothermia in comparison with hemicraniectomy alone in patients with malignant ischemic strokeThomas Els
Department of Neurology and Neurophysiology, Albert Ludwig University, Freiburg, Germany
Cerebrovasc Dis 21:79-85. 2006....
- Subcutaneous linea alba fasciotomy: a less morbid treatment for abdominal compartment syndromeMichael L Cheatham
Department of Surgical Education, Orlando Regional Medical Center, Orlando, Florida 32806, USA
Am Surg 74:746-9. 2008....
- The efficacy of surgical decompression before 24 hours versus 24 to 72 hours in patients with spinal cord injury from T1 to L1--with specific consideration on ethics: a randomized controlled trialVafa Rahimi-Movaghar
Research Centre for Neural Repair, Sina Trauma and Surgery Research Center, Tehran University Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Trials 10:77. 2009..To date no large scale RCT has been performed evaluating the timing of surgical decompression in the setting of thoracolumbar spinal cord injury...
- Surgical decompression versus local steroid injection in carpal tunnel syndrome: a one-year, prospective, randomized, open, controlled clinical trialDomingo Ly-Pen
Primary Care Unit Gandhi, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 52:612-9. 2005Optimal treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) has not been established. This study compared the effects of local steroid injection versus surgical decompression in new-onset CTS of at least 3 months' duration.
- Histology of the craniocervical junction in chronic rheumatoid arthritis: a clinicopathologic analysis of 33 operative casesMichael F O'Brien
Woodridge Orthopedic Clinic and Spine Center, Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:2245-54. 2002..A histologic review of surgical specimens with clinical and radiographic correlations...
- Prognostic indicators for time to ambulation after surgical decompression in nonambulatory dogs with acute thoracolumbar disk extrusions: 112 casesGarrett J Davis
Department of Clinical Studies, University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
Vet Surg 31:513-8. 2002To determine prognostic indicators for time to ambulation after surgical decompression in nonambulatory dogs with intact pain sensation and acute Hansen type-1 disk extrusions.
- Urgent surgical decompression compared to methylprednisolone for the treatment of acute spinal cord injury: a randomized prospective study in beagle dogsRichard S Rabinowitz
Barrington Orthopaedic Associates, Hoffman Estates, IL, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:2260-8. 2008..Experimental dog model of acute spinal cord injury...
- Evaluation of arteriovenous crossing sheathotomy for decompression of branch retinal vein occlusionR Avci
Department of Ophthalmology, Uludag University School of Medicine, Bursa, Turkey
Eye (Lond) 22:120-7. 2008..To report the effects of arteriovenous adventitial sheathotomy on anatomical and functional improvements in patients with macular oedema due to branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO)...
- Radial optic neurotomy with adjunctive intraocular triamcinolone for central retinal vein occlusion: 63 consecutive casesE Mitchel Opremcak
Ohio State University, Department of Ophthalmology, Columbus, USA
Retina 26:306-13. 2006..The authors performed RON with simultaneous, adjunctive IOK (RON/IOK) in patients with CRVO to ascertain any anatomic or visual benefit of this combined approach...
- Aggressive surveillance and early catheter-directed therapy in the management of intra-abdominal hypertensionScott F Reed
Eastern Virginia Medical School, USA
J Trauma 61:1359-63; discussion 1363-5. 2006..Our study aims at identifying these individuals early in their course and placing an intra-abdominal catheter to reduce intra-abdominal pressure before the serious hemodynamic consequences of ACS occur...
- Anterior cervical approach for the treatment of cervical myelopathyPaul G Matz
Neurological Spinal Surgery, Division of Neurological Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 3410, USA
Neurosurgery 60:S64-70. 2007..b>Surgical decompression can stop this process and lead to recovery of function...
- Percutaneous laser disc decompression for the treatment of discogenic lumbar pain and sciatica: a preliminary report with 3-month follow-up in a general pain clinic populationMarion R McMillan
Foothills Regional Pain Center, Seneca, South Carolina 29678, USA
Photomed Laser Surg 22:434-8. 2004..Our aim was to evaluate the short-term efficacy of percutaneous laser disc decompression (PLDD) for the treatment of lumbar discogenic pain and sciatica...
- Early decompressive surgery in malignant infarction of the middle cerebral artery: a pooled analysis of three randomised controlled trialsKatayoun Vahedi
Department of Neurology, Assistance Publique, Hopitaux de Paris, Lariboisiere Hospital, Paris, France
Lancet Neurol 6:215-22. 2007..The trials were ongoing when the pooled analysis was planned...
- A randomized controlled trial of knifelight and open carpal tunnel releaseR Bhattacharya
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Middlesbrough General Hospital, Ayresome Green Lane, Middlesbrough, TS5 5AZ, UK
J Hand Surg Br 29:113-5. 2004..However, the incidence of scar tenderness was significantly lower with the Knifelight technique...
- Management of macular edema in branch retinal vein occlusion with sheathotomy and recombinant tissue plasminogen activatorJose Garcia-Arumi
Hospital Vall d Hebron, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
Retina 24:530-40. 2004..The purpose of this study was to report the surgical recanalization of the occluded vein using a bimanual technique and recombinant tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) and its effect on final visual acuity...
- Recurrence of thoracolumbar intervertebral disk extrusion in chondrodystrophic dogs after surgical decompression with or without prophylactic fenestration: 265 cases (1995-1999)Brigitte A Brisson
Department of Clinical Studies, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada N1G 2W1
J Am Vet Med Assoc 224:1808-14. 2004..a population of chondrodystrophic dogs treated for Hansen type 1 intervertebral disk (IVD) disease by surgical decompression with or without prophylactic fenestration and determine the rate and location of surgically confirmed ..
- Percutaneous lumbar disc decompressionVijay Singh
Pain Diagnostics Associates, Niagara, Wisconsin 54151, USA
Pain Physician 9:139-46. 2006..Provocative discography prior to percutaneous lumbar disc decompression is recommended. Percutaneous disc decompression may result in a small number of complications but occasionally, these could be serious...
- Posterior fossa dimension and volume estimates in pediatric patients with Chiari I malformationsT Trigylidas
Division of Neurosurgery, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON K1H 8L1, Canada
Childs Nerv Syst 24:329-36. 2008..of the cervicomedullary junction have been shown to be more useful in selecting symptomatic patients for surgical decompression. The present study calculates posterior fossa dimension and volume estimates in pediatric patients using ..
- Methodological approaches to developing criteria for improvement in lumbar spinal stenosis surgerySagun K Tuli
Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Spinal Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Brookline, MA 02445, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:1276-80. 2006..The study design was an outcomes measure validation for overall patient success...
- Nerve root decompression without fusion in spondylolytic spondylolisthesis: long-term results of Gill's procedureMark Arts
Leiden University Medical Center, Neurosurgery, Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur Spine J 15:1455-63. 2006..The results of this study justify a randomised trial...
- Image-guided percutaneous laser disk decompression for herniated lumbar disks: a 4-year follow-up in 200 patientsD H W Grönemeyer
Grönemeyer Institute of Microtherapy, Department of Radiology and Microtherapy, University of Witten Herdecke, Bochum, Germany
J Clin Laser Med Surg 21:131-8. 2003..The purpose of this study was to describe the long-term effect of image-guided percutaneous laser disk decompression (PLDD)...
- Adventitial sheathotomy for decompression of recent onset branch retinal vein occlusionJ F Le Rouic
Service d Ophthalmologie, Hotel Dieu de Paris, France
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 239:747-51. 2001..of the prospective evaluation of three eyes (in three patients) with recent onset BRVO which underwent surgical decompression. Three men, aged 40, 50, and 68 years presenting with BRVO for 4, 4, and 3 weeks respectively, underwent ..
- Decompression for cervical myelopathyBrian T Jankowitz
Department of Neurological Surgery, Presbyterian University Hospital, The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Spine J 6:317S-322S. 2006Cervical spondylotic myelopathy is a degenerative condition of the cervical spine. Surgical decompression is considered the gold standard of treatment, yet multiple published studies failed to yield consistent clinical results...
- Decompression retinopathy following laser peripheral iridoplasty for acute primary angle-closureJ S M Lai
Eye (Lond) 19:1345-7. 2005
- Radiculopathy and the herniated lumbar disc. Controversies regarding pathophysiology and managementJohn M Rhee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Emory Spine Center, Emory University School of Medicine, 59 Executive Park South, Suite 3000, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:2070-80. 2006
- Surgical macular decompression for macular edema in retinal vein occlusionMark S Mandelcorn
Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Ophthalmol 42:116-22. 2007....
- Surgical decompression for space-occupying cerebral infarction (the Hemicraniectomy After Middle Cerebral Artery infarction with Life-threatening Edema Trial [HAMLET]): a multicentre, open, randomised trialJeannette Hofmeijer
Department of Neurology, Rijnstate Hospital, Wagnerlann 55, Arnhem, Netherlands
Lancet Neurol 8:326-33. 2009..In a pooled analysis of randomised trials, surgical decompression within 48 h of stroke onset reduced case fatality and improved functional outcome; however, the effect of ..
- Outcome after less-invasive decompression of lumbar spinal stenosis: a randomized comparison of unilateral laminotomy, bilateral laminotomy, and laminectomyClaudius Thome
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Mannheim, Faculty for Clinical Medicine of the Karl Ruprecht University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
J Neurosurg Spine 3:129-41. 2005..Recently, limited decompression procedures have been proposed in the treatment of lumbar stenosis. The authors undertook a prospective study to compare the safety and outcome of unilateral and bilateral laminotomy with laminectomy...
- Internal limiting membrane peeling for decompression of macular edema in retinal vein occlusion: a report of 14 casesMark S Mandelcorn
Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Science, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Retina 24:348-55. 2004....
- Decompressive Surgery for the Treatment of Malignant Infarction of the Middle Cerebral Artery (DESTINY): a randomized, controlled trialEric Juttler
University Hospital Heidelberg, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Stroke 38:2518-25. 2007..We report here the 30-day mortality and 6- and 12-month functional outcomes from the DESTINY trial...
- Experimental basis of percutaneous laser disc decompression (PLDD): a review of literatureBarry Schenk
Department of Radiology, C2 S, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, 2300, RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Lasers Med Sci 21:245-9. 2006
- The timing of surgical intervention in the treatment of spinal cord injury: a systematic review of recent clinical evidenceMichael G Fehlings
Division of Neurosurgery and Spinal Program, Krembil Neuroscience Center, Toronto Western Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:S28-35; discussion S36. 2006..Evidence-based literature review...
- Ultra-early decompressive craniectomy for malignant middle cerebral artery infarctionDer Yang Cho
Department of Neurosurgery, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, People s Republic of China
Surg Neurol 60:227-32; discussion 232-3. 2003..Based on the DWI and clinical neurologic evaluations, ultra-early (less than 6 hours) decompressive craniectomy for malignant MCA infarction may be very helpful in improving mortality and morbidity rates...
- Recovery after arthroscopic subacromial decompression: prognostic value of the subacromial injection testJustin T K Lim
Department of Orthopaedics, Princess Royal Hospital, Telford, Shropshire, England
Arthroscopy 21:680-3. 2005..To evaluate the use of a steroid/local anesthetic subacromial injection as a prognostic tool for patient recovery following arthroscopic subacromial decompression (ASD)...
- Percutaneous laser disc decompression in the treatment of discogenic back painWilliam Black
Northeastern Neurological Associates, New York, New York, USA
Photomed Laser Surg 22:431-3. 2004..Our aim was to evaluate the effects of percutaneous laser disc decompression (PLDD) as discogenic pain treatment using the MacNab criteria...
- Vitrectomy with arteriovenous decompression and internal limiting membrane dissection in branch retinal vein occlusionUlrich Mester
Department of Ophthalmology, Bundesknappschaft s Hospital, An der Klinik 10, 66280 Sulzbach, Germany
Retina 22:740-6. 2002The therapeutic armamentarium for functional improvement after branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO) is limited with uncertain efficacy. Some surgeons have proposed surgical decompression of the vein at the arteriovenous (AV) crossing.
- Nonendoscopic Nd-YAG 1064 nm PLDN in the treatment of thoracic discogenic pain syndromesJohannes Hellinger
Novamed Hospital, Munich, Germany
J Clin Laser Med Surg 21:61-6. 2003..Because early symptoms of chronic thoracic discogenic pain syndromes have not been characterized, interventional therapy is usually started late and involves a high complication rate...
- Vitrectomy with or without arteriovenous adventitial sheathotomy for macular edema associated with branch retinal vein occlusionShuichi Yamamoto
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba
Am J Ophthalmol 138:907-14. 2004..compare the results of vitrectomy with or without arteriovenous (AV) crossing sheathotomy for macular edema associated with branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO)...
- Decompressive laparotomy for abdominal compartment syndrome--a critical analysisJan J De Waele
Intensive Care Unit, Ghent University Hospital, Gent, Belgium
Crit Care 10:R51. 2006..b>Surgical decompression through a midline laparotomy or decompressive laparotomy remains the sole definite therapy for ACS, but ..
- Does an interspinous device (Coflex) improve the outcome of decompressive surgery in lumbar spinal stenosis? One-year follow up of a prospective case control study of 60 patientsAlexander Richter
Spine Center Hamburg, Asklepios Klinik St Georg, Hamburg, Germany
Eur Spine J 19:283-9. 2010..To the best of our knowledge this is the first prospective controlled study which compares surgical decompression of lumbar spinal stenosis with additional implanting of an interspinous Coflex device in the treatment of ..
- A randomised controlled trial of post-operative rehabilitation after surgical decompression of the lumbar spineAnne F Mannion
Schulthess Klinik, Lengghalde 2, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 16:1101-17. 2007..Advising patients to keep active by carrying out the type of physical activities that they most enjoy appears to be just as good as administering a supervised rehabilitation program, and at no cost to the health-care provider...
- Long-term outcomes of vitrectomy with or without arteriovenous sheathotomy in branch retinal vein occlusionKazuyuki Kumagai
Shinjo Ophthalmologic Institute, Miyazaki, Japan
Retina 27:49-54. 2007..To evaluate the long-term effect of vitrectomy with or without arteriovenous sheathotomy for macular edema secondary to branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO)...
- Which patient fares worse after early deterioration due to swelling from hemispheric stroke?Boby V Maramattom
Division of Neurology Critical Care, Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55903, USA
Neurology 63:2142-5. 2004..These features may help to identify patients at high risk for further deterioration after coMCAI...
- Observations on the safety and efficacy of surgical decompression for lumbar spinal stenosis in geriatric patientsBrian Fredman
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Meir Hospital, Kfar Saba 44281, Israel
Eur Spine J 11:571-4. 2002This retrospective study examines the results of surgical decompression of the lumbar spinal canal in 122 geriatric patients (age range 75-89 years) treated under general anesthesia by the same surgeon between the years 1990 and 1999...
- Secondary abdominal compartment syndrome is an elusive early complication of traumatic shock resuscitationZsolt Balogh
Department of Surgery, Division of General Surgery, University of Texas at Houston Medical School, 6431 Fannin, Suite 4 264, 77030, USA
Am J Surg 184:538-43; discussion 543-4. 2002..The purpose of this study was to describe major trauma victims who developed secondary ACS during standardized shock resuscitation...
- Percutaneous laser disc decompression for the treatment of lumbar disc herniation: a reviewPhilippe Goupille
Universite Francois Rabelais de Tours, Tours Cedex, France
Semin Arthritis Rheum 37:20-30. 2007..The procedure allows for the vaporization of a small amount of the nucleus pulposus and hence a reduction in the intradisc pressure and relief of radicular pain...
- Recovery from respiratory failure after decompression laparotomy for severe acute pancreatitisSylvia Siebig
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
World J Gastroenterol 14:5467-70. 2008..ACS was discussed followed by a short review of the literature. Our cases show that DL may help patients with SAP to recover from severe respiratory failure...
- Outcome after decompressive craniectomy in patients with severe ischemic strokeS Harscher
Department of Neurology, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Jena, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:31-7; discussion 37. 2006..Further randomized trials may prove useful to better define the indications, timing and prognosis for this procedure...
- Surgical compared with nonoperative treatment for lumbar degenerative spondylolisthesis. four-year results in the Spine Patient Outcomes Research Trial (SPORT) randomized and observational cohortsJames N Weinstein
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, New Hampshire 03756, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:1295-304. 2009..Questions remain regarding the long-term effects of surgical treatment compared with those of nonoperative treatment...
- [Adventitial sheathotomy in branch retinal vein occlusion with non ischemic macular edema]V M Asensio Sánchez
Hospital General del Servicio Castellano Leonés de Salud, Medina del Campo, Valladolid, Spain
Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol 79:347-52. 2004To determine whether surgical decompression of branch retinal vein occlusion at the arterio-venous (A/V) crossing is effective as a treatment for associated non ischemic macular edema.
- The development of an evidence-based patient booklet for patients undergoing lumbar discectomy and un-instrumented decompressionA H McGregor
Biosurgery and Surgical Technology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Charing Cross Hospital Campus, London W6 8RF, UK
Eur Spine J 16:339-46. 2007..Feedback from the evaluations were favourable from both review groups, suggesting that this evidence-based approach to management is acceptable and it has clinical potential...
- Long-term randomised comparison between a carbon fibre cage and the Cloward procedure in the cervical spineAnneli Peolsson
Department of Health and Society, Division of Physiotherapy, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, SE 58183, Linkoping, Sweden
Eur Spine J 16:173-8. 2007..Thus, if the healing problem associated with the CIFC can be solved the results indicate that a better outcome can be expected with the cage than with the CP...
- Does early decompression improve neurological outcome of spinal cord injured patients? Appraisal of the literature using a meta-analytical approachG La Rosa
Neurosurgical Clinic, University of Messina School of Medicine, Messina, Italy
Spinal Cord 42:503-12. 2004..A review of the clinical literature on spinal cord injury with emphasis on the role of early surgical decompression and a meta-analysis of results was performed.
- Outcomes of early surgical management versus late or no surgical intervention after acute spinal cord injuryWilliam McKinley
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:1818-25. 2004..To compare neurologic, medical, and functional outcomes of patients with acute spinal cord injury (SCI) undergoing early (<24 h and 24-72 h) and late (>72 h) surgical spine intervention versus those treated nonsurgically...
- Surgical decompression for abdominal compartment syndrome in severe acute pancreatitisPanu Mentula
Department of Gastroenterologic and General Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, PO Box 340, 00029 HUS, Helsinki, Finland
Arch Surg 145:764-9. 2010In patients with severe acute pancreatitis and abdominal compartment syndrome, establishment of the indications and optimal time for surgical decompression may avoid exacerbation of multiple-organ dysfunction syndrome.
- Laminectomy and posterior cervical plating for multilevel cervical spondylotic myelopathy and ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament: effects on cervical alignment, spinal cord compression, and neurological outcomeJohn K Houten
Department of Neurosurgery, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Neurosurgery 52:1081-7; discussion 1087-8. 2003....
- Factors predictive of fatality in massive middle cerebral artery territory infarction and clinical experience of decompressive hemicraniectomyK W Wang
Department of Neurosurgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Centre, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Eur J Neurol 13:765-71. 2006..Despite high mortality and morbidity, decompressive hemicraniectomy to prevent cerebral herniation when significant deterioration is demonstrated are essential for maximizing the potential for survival...
- Intra-abdominal hypertension in acute pancreatitisJan J De Waele
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, 9000, Gent, Belgium
World J Surg 33:1128-33. 2009..The indications for surgical decompression are still not clearly defined, but undoubtedly some patients benefit from it...
- Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy (CSM) Investigators ConferenceZoher Ghogawala; Fiscal Year: 2013..There is a significant need for new clinical trials on surgery for CSM. Surgical decompression for CSM can improve its disabling symptoms...
- Development of an Orbital Endoscope for NeuroprotectionLouise Mawn; Fiscal Year: 2003..to lower intra-ocular pressure, systemic anti-inflammatory/immune suppression with steroids, or surgical decompression of the nerve sheath...
- INCREASED PRESSURE IN COMPARTMENTS OF THE EXTREMITIESFrederick Matsen; Fiscal Year: 1980..Some controversy exists, however, with regard to the pressure at which surgical decompression becomes indicated. Furthermore, the pressure tolerance has been observed to vary among individuals...
- TRANSDUCTION OF CHRONIC NERVE INJURY BY SCHWANN CELLSRanjan Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2004..Yet, surgical decompression is often ineffective in restoring function and eliminating pain...
- Effect of vertebral endplate composition on disc healthFrank Acosta; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Outcome Measures in Idiopathic Intracranial HypertensionDeborah Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2008..Acquire the training, mentoring and experience necessary to conduct independent, funded clinical research in ophthalmologic and neurological disorders Obtain a Masters Degree in Public Health/Clinical Investigator track ..
- GENE EXPRESSION IN AXOTOMIZED RETINAL GANGLION CELLSLeonard Levin; Fiscal Year: 2004..As many of these diseases (e.g., normal-tension glaucoma and ischemic optic neuropathy) are not easily treatable, determination of the regulation of cell destructive and protective mechanisms could lead to innovative new therapies. ..
- Safety of Lumbar Fusion Surgery for Chronic Back PainSohail Mirza; Fiscal Year: 2006..The analysis will use appropriate univariate and multivariate techniques to address the study questions. This study will provide data on the relative benefits and risks of lumbar fusion surgery in treating back pain. ..
- Dendritic Cell Immunotherapy of Malignant GliomasJohn Sampson; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Folic Acid Enhances Repair Mechanism in the Adult CNSBermans J Iskandar; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- CLINICAL RESEARCH IN NEURO-ONCOLOGYROY PATCHELL; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- CLEAR IVH Phase III Planning GrantDaniel Hanley; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MENTORED PATIENT ORIENTED RESEARCH CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWJohn Sampson; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- INVESTIGATION OF DOSE/EFFICACY PROPERTIES OF INTRAVENTR*Daniel Hanley; Fiscal Year: 2008..Abstract Not Provided ..
- Role of Progenitor Cells in Hindlimb RevascularizationDarren Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2008..By defining the role of progenitor cells in neovascularization, this proposal will support the development of novel cellular and molecular therapies for patients with vascular disease. ..
- Artificial Nutrition in Terminally Ill Cancer PatientsSydney Dy; Fiscal Year: 2007..Dy with the skills she needs to develop into an independent clinical researcher in oncology palliative care decision-making and health services research. ..
- Intracerebral Infusion of Radiolabeled Specific AntibodyJohn Sampson; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Polysomal RNA Antitumor ImmunityJohn Chi; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results from these experiments will help characterize the potential use of dendritic cells transfected with polysomal RNA in creating antigen specific tumor vaccines for brain tumors. ..
- A novel in vitro model of thyroid ophthalmopathySteven Feldon; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Basic Science of Tendon To Bone HealingAsheesh Bedi; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Complications of Surgery for Spinal Stenosis: A Clinical Prediction RuleRichard A Deyo; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: A new method for estimating surgical risk will improve patient safety and assist in surgical decision-making, informed consent, monitoring surgical products, &improving quality assessment. ..