Genomes and Genes
Summary: The period following a surgical operation.
Publications371 found, 100 shown here
- The mechanism of diabetes control after gastrointestinal bypass surgery reveals a role of the proximal small intestine in the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetesFrancesco Rubino
IRCAD European Institute of Telesurgery, University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
Ann Surg 244:741-9. 2006..We sought to distinguish between these two mechanisms...
- Biometry and formula accuracy with intraocular lenses used for cataract surgery in extreme hyperopiaRobert E MacLaren
Moorfields Eye Hospital, City Road, London, United Kingdom
Am J Ophthalmol 143:920-931. 2007..To audit intraocular lens (IOL) power predictions for cataract surgery in extreme hyperopia and to compare the accuracy across different biometry formulae and IOL types...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of prophylactic respiratory physiotherapy in pulmonary lobectomyGonzalo Varela
Section of Thoracic Surgery, Salamanca University Hospital, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 29:216-20. 2006..To evaluate the cost-effectiveness balance of implementing an intensive program of chest physiotherapy in pulmonary lobectomy...
- Neutrophil CD64 (FcgammaRI) expression is a specific marker of bacterial infection: a study on the kinetics and the impact of major surgeryGustav Fjaertoft
Department of Women s and Children s Health, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Scand J Infect Dis 39:525-35. 2007..Neutrophil expression of CD64, therefore, seems to be a promising tool for the early detection of bacterial infections even during surgery...
- Rapid assessment of avoidable blindness and needs assessment of cataract surgical services in Satkhira District, BangladeshZ Wadud
Child Sight Foundation, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1225-9. 2006..To estimate the magnitude and causes of blindness in people aged > or =50 years in Satkhira district, Bangladesh, and to assess the availability of cataract surgical services...
- Health-related quality of life and clinical function after primary surgery for oral cancerS N Rogers
Regional Maxillofacial Unit, University Hospital Aintree, Aintree Trust, Liverpool, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:11-8. 2002..The differential in respect of baseline function was present at all three time points in each patient group. This suggests that functional deficits at presentation persist following treatment...
- Recovery of hypopituitarism after neurosurgical treatment of pituitary adenomasS M Webb
Department of Endocrinology, Hospital de Sant Pau, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:3696-700. 1999....
- Routine ipsilateral level VI lymphadenectomy reduces postoperative thyroglobulin levels in papillary thyroid cancerMark Sywak
Endocrine Surgical Unit, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Surgery 140:1000-5; discussion 1005-7. 2006..The aim of this study is to determine whether routine ipsilateral level VI lymphadenectomy (LNDVI) has advantages over total thyroidectomy (TT) alone...
- Inflammatory response after open heart surgery: release of heat-shock protein 70 and signaling through toll-like receptor-4Brit Dybdahl
Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Cancer Research and Molecular Biology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Circulation 105:685-90. 2002..The main aims of our study were to explore the release of HSP70 and the regulation of monocyte TLR-2 and TLR-4 expression after CABG...
- Body composition, dietary intake, and energy expenditure after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and laparoscopic vertical banded gastroplasty: a randomized clinical trialTorsten Olbers
Department of Surgery and Gastro Research, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Ann Surg 244:715-22. 2006..To assess body composition, eating pattern, and basal metabolic rate in patients undergoing obesity surgery in a randomized trial...
- Factors affecting range of flexion after total knee arthroplastyH Kawamura
Adult Reconstructive Surgery, London Health Sciences Centre, University Campus, 339 Windermere Road, London, Ontario, N6A 5A5, Canada
J Orthop Sci 6:248-52. 2001..The tilt angle of the patella and tilt angle of the patellar button may be factors that affect postoperative range of flexion...
- Laparoscopy-assisted colectomy versus open colectomy for treatment of non-metastatic colon cancer: a randomised trialAntonio M Lacy
Department of Surgery, Institut de Malalties Digestives, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Lancet 359:2224-9. 2002..Our study aimed to compare efficacy of LAC and open colectomy (OC) for treatment of non-metastatic colon cancer in terms of tumour recurrence and survival...
- Relationship between fentanyl dosage and immune function in the postoperative periodIsrael Z Yardeni
Department of Anesthesiology, Rabin Medical Center, Hasharon Hospital, Petah Tiqva, Israel
J Opioid Manag 4:27-33. 2008..It was the aim of the present study to examine the effect of various doses of fentanyl on cytokine production during the perioperative period...
- Poor postoperative blood glucose control increases surgical site infections after surgery for hepato-biliary-pancreatic cancer: a prospective study in a high-volume institute in JapanS Ambiru
Surgical Centre, Chiba University Hospital, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chiba 260 8677, Japan
J Hosp Infect 68:230-3. 2008..SSI rates were directly correlated with the degree of hyperglycaemia encountered during the postoperative period. In particular, SSI rates were 5/25 (20%) among patients in whom a blood glucose level of <200mg/dL was ..
- Correlation of postoperative pain to quality of recovery in the immediate postoperative periodChristopher L Wu
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, 600 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 30:516-22. 2005It is unclear whether the severity of postoperative pain may affect patients' quality of recovery in the immediate postoperative period (within 2 weeks of surgery).
- Perioperative cognitive decline in the aging populationNiccolò Terrando
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, San Francisco, CA 94143 0648, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 86:885-93. 2011..A road map to further elucidate the mechanisms, diagnosis, risk factors, mitigation, and treatment of postoperative cognitive decline in the elderly is provided...
- Exercise capacity of thoracotomy patients in the early postoperative periodS Miyoshi
General Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Chest 118:384-90. 2000We investigated the mechanism involved with the initial drop and subsequent recovery of exercise capacity in the early postoperative period of thoracotomy patients.
- Coronary artery bypass grafting surgery is associated with a marked reduction in serum homocysteine and folate levels in the early postoperative periodSimona Storti
Clinical Chemistry Laboratory Unit, Ospedale G Pasquinucci, Institute of Clinical Physiology, The National Research Council, Via Aurelia Sud 54100 Massa, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:682-6. 2004..This study was designed to evaluate the Hcy metabolism in CABG patients during the early postoperative period.
- Assessing stability and change of four performance measures: a longitudinal study evaluating outcome following total hip and knee arthroplastyDeborah M Kennedy
School of Rehabilitation Science, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 6:3. 2005....
- Cognitive function after sevoflurane- vs propofol-based anaesthesia for on-pump cardiac surgery: a randomized controlled trialJ Schoen
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Luebeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D 23538 Luebeck, Germany
Br J Anaesth 106:840-50. 2011..This study was designed to determine cognitive and clinical outcomes after sevoflurane- compared with propofol-based anaesthesia for on-pump cardiac surgery and the impact of decreases in under different anaesthesia regimens...
- Transoral laser microsurgery (TLM) +/- adjuvant therapy for advanced stage oropharyngeal cancer: outcomes and prognostic factorsJason T Rich
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Laryngoscope 119:1709-19. 2009..Document survival, prognostic variables, and functional outcomes of patients with AJCC stage III or IV oropharyngeal cancer, treated with transoral laser microsurgery (TLM) +/- adjuvant therapy...
- Influence of preoperative serum N-terminal pro-brain type natriuretic peptide on the postoperative outcome and survival rates of coronary artery bypass patientsThomas Schachner
Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 65:1239-45. 2010..The N-terminal fragment of pro-brain type natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) is an established biomarker for cardiac failure...
- Sutureless vitrectomy incision architecture in the immediate postoperative period evaluated in vivo using optical coherence tomographyDing Chen
Eye Hospital, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou, Zhejiang, China
Ophthalmology 117:2003-9. 2010To investigate the in vivo sutureless vitrectomy incision architecture using optical coherence tomography (OCT) in the immediate postoperative period.
- Angle widening and alteration of ciliary process configuration after cataract surgery for primary angle closureAtsushi Nonaka
Department of Ophthalmology, Kobe City General Hospital, Kobe, Japan
Ophthalmology 113:437-41. 2006..To evaluate quantitatively, by means of ultrasound biomicroscopy (UBM), changes in the anterior segment configuration, including the ciliary processes, induced by cataract surgery in eyes with primary angle closure...
- Body mass index does not improve the ability to predict biochemical recurrence after radical prostatectomyFelix K H Chun
Cancer Prognostics and Health Outcomes Unit, University of Montreal Health Centre CHUM, 1058, rue St Denis, Montreal, Quebec H2X 3J4, Canada
Eur J Cancer 43:375-82. 2007..To test whether body mass index (BMI) improves pre- or post-operative biochemical recurrence (BCR) predictions after radical prostatectomy...
- The effects of task complexity on brake response time before and after primary right total knee arthroplastyCarlos J Marques
Center for Research in Physiotherapy, Faculty of Human Movement Studies, Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:851-5. 2008..To study the effects of an increase in task complexity on brake response time (BRT) in patients undergoing total knee arthroplasty (TKA)...
- Apoptosis, necrosis, proliferation, and myofibroblast generation in the stroma following LASIK and PRKRahul R Mohan
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195 6485, USA
Exp Eye Res 76:71-87. 2003....
- Pre-operative pulmonary rehabilitation and surgery for lung cancerAlfredo Cesario
Lung Cancer 57:118-9. 2007
- A study of postoperative radiotherapy in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer: a randomized trialQ F Feng
Departments of Radiation Oncology, Cancer Hospital Institute, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical University, Beijing, China
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 47:925-9. 2000..To study the value of postoperative radiotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) with positive regional lymph metastases (NI or N2) after radical surgery...
- Prediction of postoperative renal function by preoperative serum creatinine level and three-dimensional diagnostic image reconstruction in patients with renal cell carcinomaNobumichi Tanaka
Department of Urology, Nara Medical University, Nara, Japan
Urology 64:904-8. 2004....
- Only half of the chronic pain after thoracic surgery shows a neuropathic componentMonique A H Steegers
Pain and Nociception Research Group, Department of Anaesthesiology, Pain and Palliative Care, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Pain 9:955-61. 2008..Predictive factors for chronic pain were younger age (P = .01), radiotherapy (P = .043), pleurectomy (P = .04) and more extensive surgery (P < .001)...
- Outcome predictors for surgical treatment of temporal lobe epilepsy with hippocampal sclerosisSusanne Aull-Watschinger
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Epilepsia 49:1308-16. 2008..To compare patients becoming seizure-free (i.e., cured from epilepsy) and patients experiencing prolonged seizure-free periods interposed with recurring seizures...
- Kidney function after nephrectomy for renal cell carcinomaYoshinori Shirasaki
Department of Urology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama, Japan
Urology 64:43-7; discussion 48. 2004..To evaluate the function of the remaining kidney after nephrectomy for renal cell cancer by technetium-99m-mercaptoacetyltriglycine (99mTc-MAG3) renal scintigraphy...
- Troponin levels in patients with myocardial infarction after coronary artery bypass graftingM Carrier
Department of Surgery, Montreal Heart Institute, Quebec, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 69:435-40. 2000....
- Phacoemulsification in pseudoexfoliation syndromeArsen Akinci
Ulucanlar Eye Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Ophthalmologica 222:112-6. 2008....
- Long term cardiopulmonary effects of closed repair of pectus excavatumDavid L Sigalet
Alberta Children s Hospital, University of Calgary, 2888 Shaganappi Trail NW, Calgary, Canada
Pediatr Surg Int 23:493-7. 2007....
- Intraocular pressure following phacoemulsification in patients with and without exfoliation syndrome: a 2 year prospective studyK F Damji
Department of Opthamology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa Hospital Eye Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 8L6
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1014-8. 2006..To determine the long term intraocular pressure (IOP) response to phacoemulsification in patients with and without exfoliation syndrome (XFS)...
- Control of intraocular pressure after deep sclerectomyH A Khairy
Department of Ophthalmology, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, University of Aberdeen, UK
Eye (Lond) 20:336-40. 2006..To study the long-term outcome of deep sclerectomy in patients with open angle glaucoma...
- Effects of minimal invasive coronary artery bypass on pulmonary function and postoperative painA Lichtenberg
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 70:461-5. 2000..We investigated whether this fact may lead to less postoperative pain and improved pulmonary function...
- Effect of laparoscopic Roux-en Y gastric bypass on type 2 diabetes mellitusPhilip R Schauer
Departments of Surgery, University of Pittsburg, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Ann Surg 238:467-84; discussion 84-5. 2003..To evaluate pre- and postoperative clinical parameters associated with improvement of diabetes up to 4 years after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (LRYGBP) in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- A longitudinal study of LASIK flap and stromal thickness with high-speed optical coherence tomographyYan Li
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Ophthalmology 114:1124-32. 2007..To assess corneal anatomic changes after LASIK with a high-speed corneal and anterior segment optical coherence tomography (CAS-OCT) system...
- Psychosocial functioning following bariatric surgeryGerbrand C M van Hout
Department of Medical Psychology, Catharina Hospital, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Obes Surg 16:787-94. 2006..Although there are mixed results, the overall improvements in psychosocial functioning provide additional justification for surgical treatment of morbid obesity...
- Measurement of intraabdominal pressure in pregnant women at termAbdulla Al-Khan
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women s Health, Hackensack University Medical Center, Women s and Children s Pavilion, 30 Prospect Avenue, Suite 2W 73, Hackensack, NJ 07601, USA
J Reprod Med 56:53-7. 2011..To determine the baseline intraabdominal pressure (IAP) in pregnant women at term...
- The lumbar multifidus muscle five years after surgery for a lumbar intervertebral disc herniationJ Rantanen
Department of Pathology, University of Turku, Finland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 18:568-74. 1993..These pathologic structural changes correlated well with the clinical outcome, and most importantly they are reversible and can be diminished by adequate therapy...
- The use of two continuous glucose sensors during and after surgeryT M Vriesendorp
Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Technol Ther 7:315-22. 2005..We examined whether continuous glucose sensing is feasible and reliable during and after major surgical procedures using two commercially available sensors...
- Environmental and genetic factors associated with morphine response in the postoperative periodLaurent Coulbault
Pharmacology Department, Saint Antoine University of Medicine, University Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Clin Pharmacol Ther 79:316-24. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the respective influence of genetic and nongenetic factors on morphine dose requirements and adverse effects after colorectal surgery...
- Dietary intake and eating behavior after bariatric surgery: threats to weight loss maintenance and strategies for successDavid B Sarwer
Department of Psychiatry, Center for Weight and Eating Disorders, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 7:644-51. 2011..The paper also identifies several strategies from the nonsurgical weight loss literature that might help optimize long-term weight maintenance after surgery...
- [Comparative study between intermittent (Müller Reanimator) and continuous positive airway pressure in the postoperative period of coronary artery bypass grafting]Andrea Pires Muller
Hospital Costantini, Pontificia Universidade Catolica do Parana, Curitiba, PR
Arq Bras Cardiol 86:232-9. 2006..To compare the effect of the use of intermittent and continuous positive airway pressure in postoperative patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting...
- Increased dispersion of refractoriness in patients with atrial fibrillation in the early postoperative period after coronary artery bypass graftingMustafa Soylu
Turkiye Yuksek Ihtisas Hospital, Cardiology Clinic, Ankara, Turkey
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 14:28-31. 2003....
- High resolution OCT quantitative analysis of the space between the IOL and the posterior capsule during the early cataract postoperative periodAizhu Tao
School of Ophthalmology and Optometry, Wenzhou Medical University, Wenzhou, Zhejiang, China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 54:6991-7. 2013..We quantitatively characterized the space between the IOL and the posterior capsule (IOL-PC space) during the early postphacoemulsification period, using high resolution optical coherence tomography (OCT)...
- Predicted versus observed FEV1 in the immediate postoperative period after pulmonary lobectomyGonzalo Varela
Service of Thoracic Surgery Salamanca University Hospital, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:644-8. 2006....
- Pain and affective distress before and after ACL surgery: a comparison of amateur and professional male soccer players in the early postoperative periodHaluk H Oztekin
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Zubeyde Hanim Hospital affiliate of Baskent University, 6371 Sokak No 34, 35540 Karsiyaka, Izmir, Turkey
Knee 15:368-72. 2008Pain thresholds and levels of distress before and in the early postoperative period after anterior cruciate ligament surgery were measured in professional and amateur male soccer players and compared...
- Postoperative radiotherapy for resected pathological stage IIIA-N2 non-small cell lung cancer: a retrospective study of 221 cases from a single institutionHonghai Dai
Department of Radiation Oncology, Cancer Hospital and Institute, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Oncologist 16:641-50. 2011..In this single-institutional study, we re-evaluated the effect of PORT on overall survival (OS) as well as tumor control in this subgroup of patients...
- IL-6 serum levels predict postoperative morbidity in gastric cancer patientsAntoni M Szczepanik
1st Department of General and Gastrointestinal Surgery, Jagiellonian University Medical College, 40 Kopernika Str, 31 501, Krakow, Poland
Gastric Cancer 14:266-73. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate whether high serum levels of interleukin 6 (IL-6) in the early postoperative period may be a prognostic factor of postoperative morbidity.
- Excess weight loss variation in late postoperative period of gastric bypassAnália S Barhouch
Centro da Obesidade e Síndrome Metabólica, Hospital Sao Lucas da Pontificia, Universidade Catolica do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Ipiranga 6690 302, CEP 90610 000, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Obes Surg 20:1479-83. 2010In the late postoperative period of gastric bypass surgery, we observe that many patients weight regain. The objective of this study was to determine the excess weight loss variation at 24 and 60 months postoperative...
- Risk of symptomatic venous thromboembolism associated with flying in the early postoperative period following elective total hip and knee arthroplastyH John Cooper
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, New York
J Arthroplasty 29:1119-22. 2014..Allowing air travel after TJA appears to be a safe practice...
- Effects of altered corneal stiffness on native and postoperative LASIK corneal biomechanical behavior: A whole-eye finite element analysisAbhijit Sinha Roy
Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Refract Surg 25:875-87. 2009..To investigate the impact of corneal elasticity on corneal shape changes before and after simulated LASIK with and without consideration of whole-eye biomechanics...
- The effect of nutritional support on the immune function in the acute postoperative period after esophageal cancer surgery: total parenteral nutrition versus enteral nutritionJunichi Seike
Department of Thoracic, Endocrine Surgery and Oncology, Institute of Health Biosciences, University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan
J Med Invest 58:75-80. 2011..We studied the effect of TPN and EN on patients' nutritional status and immune function in the immediate postoperative period after esophageal cancer resection.
- Comparison of HoLEP and TURP in terms of efficacy in the early postoperative period and perioperative morbidityR M Mavuduru
Department of Urology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Urol Int 82:130-5. 2009..We conducted this study to compare the safety and efficacy of transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) and holmium laser prostatectomy...
- Physical therapy in the immediate postoperative period after abdominal surgeryLuiz Alberto Forgiarini
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil
J Bras Pneumol 35:455-9. 2009..patients submitted to abdominal surgery in terms of the effect of physical therapy in the immediate postoperative period. This was a randomized clinical trial, in which one group of patients was submitted to physical therapy in ..
- Stage-to-stage comparison of preoperative and postoperative chemoradiotherapy for T3 mid or distal rectal cancerSeung Gu Yeo
Center for Colorectal Cancer, Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Korea
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82:856-62. 2012..To investigate, in a comparative analysis, the prognostic implications of postchemoradiotherapy (post-CRT) pathologic stage (ypStage) vs. postoperative pathologic stage (pStage) in rectal cancer...
- Serum neutrophil gelatinase associated lipocalin during the early postoperative period predicts the recovery of graft function after kidney transplantation from donors after cardiac deathMamoru Kusaka
Department of Urology, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, Toyoake, Japan
J Urol 187:2261-7. 2012..We evaluated serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin as a potential biomarker to predict the functional recovery of kidneys transplanted from donors after cardiac death...
- Improved functional mitral regurgitation after off-pump revascularization in acute coronary syndromeHo Young Hwang
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Ann Thorac Surg 94:1157-65; discussion 1165. 2012..We evaluated the effect of isolated off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting on functional ischemic mitral regurgitation (IMR) associated with acute coronary syndrome...
- Observation of idiopathic full-thickness macular hole closure in early postoperative period as evaluated by optical coherence tomographyHiroaki Sato
Department of Ophthalmology, Yamagata University School of Medicine, Yamagata, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 136:185-7. 2003..To report the optical coherence tomography (OCT)-determined progressive changes in a macular hole (MH) following vitreous surgery with a gas tamponade. Observational case report...
- Non-invasive ventilation for weaning, avoiding reintubation after extubation and in the postoperative period: a meta-analysisA J Glossop
NICE Scholar 2010 and Department of Critical Care, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Herries Road, Sheffield S5 7AU, UK
Br J Anaesth 109:305-14. 2012..A meta analysis of NIV use in selected subgroups of recently extubated patients suggests that the judicious NIV use may reduce ICU and hospital length of stay, pneumonia, and reintubation rates and hospital survival...
- A handoff protocol from the cardiovascular operating room to cardiac ICU is associated with improvements in care beyond the immediate postoperative periodJon Kaufmnan
The Heart Institute and Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, CO, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 39:306-11. 2013..cardiac intensive care unit (CICU) can improve patient outcomes and delivery of care beyond the immediate postoperative period. In a prospective quality improvement study, a structured CVOR-to-CICU handoff protocol was implemented at ..
- Adverse effects of mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitors during the postoperative period after cardiac transplantationA Bouzas-Mosquera
Cardiac Transplant Unit, Area del Corazon, Complexo Hospitalario Universitario Juan Canalejo, A Coruna, Spain
Transplant Proc 40:3027-30. 2008Safety of treatment with mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitors (mTORi) in the postoperative period after heart transplantation (HT) is controversial.
- Stroke volume variation as a predictor of intravascular volume depression and possible hypotension during the early postoperative period after esophagectomyMakoto Kobayashi
Surgical Division, Hakodate Goryoukaku Hospital, Hakodate City, Hokkaido, Japan
Ann Surg Oncol 16:1371-7. 2009..In this retrospective study, we evaluated stroke volume variation (SVV), calculated by using a new arterial pressure-based cardiac output measurement device, as a predictor for fluid responsiveness after esophageal surgery...
- A questionnaire study investigating the prevalence of the neuropathic component of chronic pain after thoracic surgeryMichael F Maguire
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Nottingham City Hospital Trust, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 29:800-5. 2006..Our questionnaire study set out to assess the prevalence of chronic pain after thoracic surgery, the contribution of the neuropathic component of chronic pain and the impact of chronic pain on patients' lives...
- Benefits of postoperative shed blood reinfusion in patients undergoing unilateral total knee replacementManuel Muñoz
GIEMSA, School of Medicine, University of Malaga, Campus de Teatinos, S N, 29071, Malaga, Spain
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 125:385-9. 2005In patients undergoing total knee replacement (TKR), most of the measured blood loss occurs during the postoperative period, and 30-50% of these patients receive allogeneic blood transfusion (ABT)...
- Influence of prophylactic central lymph node dissection on postoperative thyroglobulin levels and radioiodine treatment in papillary thyroid cancerDavid T Hughes
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Surgery 148:1100-6; discussion 1006-7. 2010..The purpose of this study is to determine whether prophylactic central neck dissection provides any advantages over TT alone...
- High sensitivity troponin T concentrations in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery: a prospective cohort studyPeter A Kavsak
McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 3Z5
Clin Biochem 44:1021-4. 2011..To determine the proportion of noncardiac surgery patients exceeding the published 99th percentile or change criteria with the high sensitivity Troponin T (hs-TnT) assay...
- Outcomes in vascular surgical patients with isolated postoperative troponin leak: a meta-analysisG Redfern
Perioperative Research Unit, Department of Anaesthetics, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Anaesthesia 66:604-10. 2011..3%, 11.6% and 21.6%, respectively (p = 0.000001). Insufficient data were available to analyse intermediate-term outcomes. An isolated troponin leak following vascular surgery is strongly associated with short-term mortality...
- Serial changes in inflammatory biomarkers after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgeryGary D Miller
Department of Health and Exercise Science, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27109 7868, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 7:618-24. 2011..We examined the changes in the biomarkers of inflammation after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) in morbidly obese individuals in a university hospital...
- Prevalence of cataract surgery and postoperative visual outcome in rural central India Central India Eye and Medical StudyVinay Nangia
Suraj Eye Institute, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India
J Cataract Refract Surg 37:1932-8. 2011..To determine the prevalence of cataract surgery and the postoperative visual outcomes in rural central India...
- Evaluation of fever in the immediate postoperative period in patients who underwent total joint arthroplastyChristian Athanassious
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Monmouth Medical Center, Long Branch, New Jersey 07740, USA
J Arthroplasty 26:1404-8. 2011..Fevers in the immediate postoperative period are a normal variant in patients undergoing THA or TKA...
- The negative effects of surgery persist beyond the early postoperative period after laparoscopic colorectal resectionM Ince
A30 Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Tech Coloproctol 15:173-7. 2011..We evaluate whether laparoscopic colectomy leads to recovery of QOL early after surgery and evaluate factors associated with the change in QOL...
- Changes in life quality following third molar surgery--the immediate postoperative periodC McGrath
Associate Professor, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong, 34 Hospital Road, Hong Kong SAR, China
Br Dent J 194:265-8; discussion 261. 2003This study describes patients' perceptions of changes in oral health related quality of life (OHQOL) in the early postoperative period following third molar surgery.
- Alveolar recruitment in patients in the immediate postoperative period of cardiac surgeryCauê Padovani
State Civil Servant Hospital
Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 26:116-21. 2011Lung complications during postoperative period of cardiac surgery are frequently, highlighting atelectasis and hypoxemia. Alveolar recruitment maneuvers have an important role in the prevention and treatment of these complications...
- Aspirin and clopidogrel use in the early postoperative period following on-pump and off-pump coronary artery bypass graftingDae Hyun Kim
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:1377-84. 2009..Preoperative use of clopidogrel increases the risk of bleeding, but its postoperative use has not been studied. We studied early postoperative clopidogrel use in on-pump and off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting...
- The impact of atrio-biventricular pacing on hemodynamics and left ventricular dyssynchrony compared with atrio-right ventricular pacing alone in the postoperative period after cardiac surgeryMaxime Cannesson
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Louis Pradel Hospital, Claude Bernard Lyon 1 University, Lyon, France
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 23:306-11. 2009The aims of this study were to test the hypotheses that in the postoperative period after coronary artery bypass graft surgery (1) atrio-right ventricular (RA-RV) pacing induces a decrease in cardiac output compared with RA pacing alone ..
- Minimally invasive colon resection is associated with a transient increase in plasma sVEGFR1 levels and a decrease in sVEGFR2 levels during the early postoperative periodH M C Shantha Kumara
Section of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital Columbia Campus, 177 Fort Washington Avenue, New York, NY 10032, USA
Surg Endosc 23:694-9. 2009..The importance of the MICR-related VEGF changes depends on the effect of surgical procedures on sVEGFR1 and sVEGFR2; this study assessed levels of these proteins after MICR for benign indications...
- Factors affecting postoperative range of motion after total knee arthroplastyNehal M Gatha
Albany Medical College, Albany, NY, USA
J Knee Surg 17:196-202. 2004..This study suggests that among the variables evaluated, the preoperative range of motion was the only significant predictor of postoperative range of motion...
- Postoperative long-term evaluation of interposition reconstruction compared with Roux-en-Y after total gastrectomy in gastric cancer: prospective randomized controlled trialSumiya Ishigami
Office of the Japanese Society for Gastro surgical Pathophysiology Groups, Department of Digestive Surgery, Kagoshima University School of Medicine, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima 890 8520, Japan
Am J Surg 202:247-53. 2011..Postoperative quality of life (QOL) was evaluated between the 2 methods by a multi-institutional prospective randomized trial...
- Quality of life beyond the early postoperative period after laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy: the level of patient expectation as the essence of quality of lifeSeung Soo Lee
Department of Surgery, Keimyung University School of Medicine, 194 DongSan Dong Jung Gu, Daegu, 700 712, The Republic of Korea
Gastric Cancer 15:299-304. 2012The aim of this study was to compare the quality of life after the early postoperative period and before reaching 5 years postoperatively between patients who underwent laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy (Group A) and patients who ..
- Preoperative brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) is a better predictor of adverse cardiac events compared to preoperative scoring system in patients who underwent abdominal surgeryPaolo Mercantini
Department of Surgery, University of Rome La Sapienza, II Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Azienda Ospedaliera Sant Andrea, Via di Grottarossa, 1035 39, 00189 Rome, Italy
World J Surg 36:24-30. 2012..We present a prospective, single-center, observational cohort study of patients undergoing major abdominal surgery and evaluate the role of BNP in predicting adverse cardiac events...
- Cardioprotective effect of sevoflurane and propofol during anaesthesia and the postoperative period in coronary bypass graft surgery: a double-blind randomised studyMarina Soro
Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care, Hospital Clinico Universitario de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Eur J Anaesthesiol 29:561-9. 2012..Clinical results in cardiac surgery patients are controversial and may be related to the timing of administration of anaesthetics intraoperatively...
- Postoperative chemotherapy followed by conformal concomitant chemoradiotherapy in high-risk gastric cancerLaurent Quero
Department of Radiation Oncology, Saint Louis Hospital, Paris, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 83:574-80. 2012....
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-10 gene expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells after cardiac surgeryEdel Duggan
Department of Anaesthesia, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Crit Care Med 34:2134-9. 2006..A study was carried out to investigate the relation between cytokine gene expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells, genotype, and clinical events after cardiac surgery...
- [The effect of surgical and nutritional treatment on activation parameters of peripheral blood T lymphocytes in stomach cancer patients in postoperative period]Joanna Osada
Akademia Medyczna w Białymstoku, Zakład Diagnostyki Hematologicznej
Pol Merkur Lekarski 24:231-6. 2008..THE AIM OF THE STUDY was to assess the effect of surgery and early postoperative enteral nutrition on peripheral blood T lymphocytes activation status in stomach cancer patients...
- Effect of postoperative diclofenac on anastomotic healing, skin wounds and subcutaneous collagen accumulation: a randomized, blinded, placebo-controlled, experimental studyM Klein
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology D, Herlev Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Herlev, Denmark
Eur Surg Res 48:73-8. 2012..In this study, we examined the effects of the NSAID diclofenac on the breaking strength of an experimental colonic anastomosis and a skin incision as well as subcutaneous collagen accumulation...
- Positive response to binge eating intervention enhances postoperative weight lossKathleen Ashton
Bariatric and Metabolic Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 7:315-20. 2011..The objective of the present study was to evaluate whether the response to a preoperative binge eating intervention related to differential postoperative weight loss at an academic medical center...
- One-year follow-up of selective laser trabeculoplasty in open-angle glaucomaBarbara Cvenkel
Eye Clinic, University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Ophthalmologica 218:20-5. 2004..A study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and safety of SLT in the treatment of uncontrolled open-angle glaucoma...
- Diabetes and coronary artery bypass surgery: an examination of perioperative glycemic control and outcomesFinlay A McAlister
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, Canada
Diabetes Care 26:1518-24. 2003..To determine the adequacy of perioperative glycemic control in diabetic patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) and to explore the association between glycemic control and in-hospital morbidity/mortality...
- Changes in posterior condylar offset after total knee arthroplasty cannot be determined by radiographic measurements aloneHenry D Clarke
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Phoenix, Arizona 85054, USA
J Arthroplasty 27:1155-8. 2012..7 mm (range, 0-4 mm) medially and 2.0 mm (range, 0-5 mm) laterally. As the cartilage thickness is variable, future studies of PCO must adjust the preoperative radiographic measurements by the cartilage thickness measured intraoperatively...
- Real-time continuous glucose monitoring in pediatric patients during and after cardiac surgeryHannah G Piper
Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Pediatrics 118:1176-84. 2006....
- Risk factors and outcome of early recurrence after resection of small hepatocellular carcinomasMasaki Kaibori
Department of Surgery, Hirakata Hospital, Kansai Medical University, Hirakata, Osaka, Japan
Am J Surg 198:39-45. 2009..This study aimed to clarify risk factors for early recurrence and examine the subsequent outcome in patients undergoing potentially R0 resection of small hepatocellular carcinomas (HCCs) (<or=2 cm in greatest dimension)...
- Increased recurrences using intensity-modulated radiation therapy in the postoperative settingAruna Turaka
Departments of Radiation Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 33:599-603. 2010..To determine the pattern of failures following intensity modulated radiation therapy for head and neck cancer...
- Prospective comparative study of two different autotransfusion methods versus control group in total knee replacementKonstantinos S Blatsoukas
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University General Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Dragana, Alexandroupolis, Greece
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 130:733-7. 2010..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of two different autotransfusion methods in total knee replacement (TKR) performed without tourniquet, in comparison to allogeneic blood transfusion (ABT) only...
- Changes in angle configuration after phacoemulsification measured by anterior segment optical coherence tomographyWinifred P Nolan
Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, Birmingham, UK
J Glaucoma 17:455-9. 2008..To measure changes in angle width after phacoemulsification and intraocular lens (IOL) implantation using anterior segment optical coherence tomography (AS-OCT)...
- Low-dose ketamine affects immune responses in humans during the early postoperative periodB Beilin
Department of Anaesthesiology and Research Institute, Rabin Medical Center, Hasharon Hospital, 7, Keren Kayemet Street, Petah Tiqva 47372, Israel
Br J Anaesth 99:522-7. 2007..proinflammatory immune response and suppression of cell-mediated immunity that may affect the course of the postoperative period. Addition of anaesthetic agents capable of attenuating the alterations in perioperative immune function may ..
- Perioperative Use and Outcomes of Noninvasive Ventilation in Sleep ApneaPeter K Lindenauer; Fiscal Year: 2013..aims of this project will generate important new knowledge about the use of NIV in patients with OSA in the postoperative period as well as evidence about its effectiveness in routine clinical settings...
- Comparing focused ultrasound and uterine artery embolization for uterine fibroidsElizabeth A Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2010..Following UAE, women appear to have more pain in the immediate postoperative period, but studies document decreased pelvic pain during long term follow-up...
- Macrophage Phenotype as a Determinant of Outcome in Pelvic Organ Prolapse RepairBRYAN NICKLAUS BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2013..elucidate how both individual mesh characteristics and modulation of macrophage phenotype in the immediate postoperative period can determine long term incorporation or complications related to synthetic mesh placement...
- Do Amputees Benefit from Comprehensive Rehabilitation ServicesMargaret Grace Stineman; Fiscal Year: 2012..received by the majority (67%) of amputees with no evidence of inpatient rehabilitation during the acute postoperative period. We propose to explore variation in outcomes comparing different rehabilitation care patterns according to ..
- Predicting severe post-surgical pain using clinical risk factorsChristian C Apfel; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Unrelieved pain remains a significant challenge during the postoperative period. A staggering 25% of surgical patients, or about 15 million U.S...
- Psychoactive Medications: Associations with Delirium Persistance vs ResolutionEdward Marcantonio; Fiscal Year: 2009..exposure to the same four classes of psychoactive medications with delirium persistence in the immediate postoperative period. We hypothesize that sedative-hypnotic and anticholinergic medications will be associated with delirium ..
- Effect of Corneal Preservation Time on Long-Term Graft Success (CPTS)ALLISON RENEE EDWARDS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Coupled with a higher failure rate in the initial postoperative period than penetrating keratoplasty, an aging population with a greater number of endothelial dysfunction cases, ..
- Use of Machine Learning Classifiers to Forecast Severe Acute Postoperative Pain FPatrick Tighe; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Up to 40% of patients undergoing surgery report moderate to severe pain in the postoperative period. The development of a clinical decision support system to allow preoperative intervention for this subset ..
- NONPHARMACOLOGIC ANALGESIA FOR INVASIVE PROCEDURESElvira Lang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Prospectively determine the impact of self-hypnotic relaxation on cognitive and physiologic distress in the postoperative period, and 3) Determine the impact of intraprocedural self- hypnotic relaxation on distress during subsequent ..
- Receptor Selective Spinal AnalgesiaJames Eisenach; Fiscal Year: 2010..of pain transmission and since we can specifically test analgesic mechanisms with spinal injection in the postoperative period and in patients with chronic pain...
- Adjuvant immunotherapy for non-small cell lung cancerMichael Roth; Fiscal Year: 2005..As such, treating patients in the postoperative period provides an optimal window for employing anti-tumor vaccines...
- BILE SECRETORY STUDIES IN THE TRANSPLANTED LIVERWilliam Meyers; Fiscal Year: 1993..Increas d understanding of the neurohumoral control of biliary secretion potentially will have some impact on the clinical management of liver transplant patients, particularly in the immediate postoperative period.
- Role of the Omentum in the Treatment of Morbid ObesityNaji Abumrad; Fiscal Year: 2009..that improvements in insulin sensitivity after bariatric surgery are racially biased and begin early in the postoperative period (10-30 days) and are mediated by changes in the secretion of energy-related peptides, while the long-term ..
- Development of Novel Therapeutics for Postsurgical PainKENNETH NARDUCY; Fiscal Year: 2003..In many instances, pain needs to be controlled without masking symptomatic fever (e.g., during the postoperative period)...
- DEVELOPMENT OF ANALGESICS WITH FEWER SIDE EFFECTSKENNETH NARDUCY; Fiscal Year: 2000..In many instances pain needs to be controlled without masking the symptomatic fever (e.g., the postoperative period)...
- ANALGESICS FOR CHRONIC PAIN TREATMENT IN THE ELDERLYKENNETH NARDUCY; Fiscal Year: 2001..In many instances pain needs to be controlled without masking the symptomatic fever (e.g., postoperative period)...
- Effects of Physiotones on Adolescents' PainBernice Mowery; Fiscal Year: 2003..that even when opioids are given properly, children are not achieving acceptable pain levels during the postoperative period. Combining medication with complementary approaches may enhance pain management...
- Clinical Utility of Endothelial Function in PADJoseph Vita; Fiscal Year: 2007..for cardiovascular events (cardiac death, myocardial infarction, unstable angina, and stroke) in the 30-day postoperative period. The goal is to determine whether improvement in vascular function independently predicts outcome (..
- Development of SCP-1 to Treat Pain in the ElderlyKENNETH NARDUCY; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., fever due to infection during the postoperative period)...
- Studies of Atrial Fibrillation in PatientsAlbert Waldo; Fiscal Year: 2006..help characterize the presence of a region with a regular rhythm of very short cycle length; and 2) in the postoperative period to use temporary atrial epicardial wire electrodes in patients with new onset AF a) to record atrial ..
- COPING/ATTENTION INTERVENTIONS & CHILD SURGERY OUTCOMESLynda LaMontagne; Fiscal Year: 2001..The proposed study also expands prior research by extending the assessment of coping over the postoperative period, in order to be able to make more definitive statements about the effectiveness of particular strategies ..
- Perineural Anesthetic Infusion After Joint ReplacementBRIAN ILFELD; Fiscal Year: 2009..objective of the proposed research is to determine if perineural local anesthetic infusion in the immediate postoperative period has both short- and long-term benefits following knee and hip replacement surgery for osteoarthritis...
- Symptom Management, Patient-Caregiver Communication, and Outcomes in ICUMARY HAPP; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Improving Communication with NonSpeaking ICU PatientsMARY HAPP; Fiscal Year: 2007..Statistical analysis will involve hierarchical generalized linear modeling (HGLM) by outcome groups and planned group comparisons using linear contrasts within the context of the HGLM. ..
- EYE GROWTH DURING INFANCYScott Lambert; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, by understanding the mechanisms retarding ocular growth, it may be possible to modulate the excessive ocular growth which occurs in certain pathological conditions such as retinopathy of prematurity. ..
- Ventilator Weaning:Processes of Care and CommunicationMARY HAPP; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Postoperative dietary counseling after bariatric surgeryDAVID SARWER; Fiscal Year: 2005..The inclusion of dietary counseling during the postoperative period is an innovation in the treatment of bariatric surgery patients...
- Changes in sexual function following bariatric surgeryDAVID SARWER; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed study is innovative, as it will provide new and important information on the long-term effects of bariatric surgery on these important areas of quality of life. ..
- Obesity, Body Image and Weight MaintenanceDAVID SARWER; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies have been selected to further develop my knowledge of the treatment of obesity, and the training program has been designed to facilitate my development as an independent investigator in the field of obesity. ..
- Early Assessment of Infants with Cleft Palate Following Surgical RepairDavid Zajac; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Environmental Obesity Treatment: A Simplified Approach to Food CategorizationChristopher Ochner; Fiscal Year: 2008..If supermarkets nationwide were willing to implement this system, even a small statistical effect may have a clinically significant effect in combating the [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Changes in Functional Status Across Therapy for Primary GliomaLee Jones; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- COPD Clinical Research Network & Clinical Research Skills Core DevelopmentGerard Criner; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of Lung Cancer Treatment in the ElderlyJuan Wisnivesky; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings from this project will provide information that can directly impact the care of elderly patients with NSCLC and inform the design of future trials of lung cancer treatment strategies. ..
- The Northwest Tribal Vision ProjectSteven Mansberger; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will then lead to a larger, more comprehensive survey of the prevalence and causes of visual impairment in AI/AN. ..
- Plasticity in Human Trigeminal Somatosensory PathwaysDavid Borsook; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will elucidate whether CNS plasticity plays a role in the pathogenesis or expression of neuropathic pain and potentially allow an objective measurement of sensory changes in patients with chronic pain. ..
- Speech Intelligibility Testing in Children with Repaired Cleft PalateDavid Zajac; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Quality Improvement and Outcomes for Strokes After CABGDONALD LIKOSKY; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Effects of EECP on Arterial FunctionRANDY BRAITH; Fiscal Year: 2006..Only through identification of specific mechanisms behind the efficacy of EECP, will this treatment oDtion receive acceptance by the clinical community in the treatment of svmptomatic CAD. ..
- Oleic Acid Effects on Transit and Absorption in SBSCharlene Compher; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- International Center of TCM for CancerLorenzo Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- INFORMED CONSENT FOR STUDIES INVOLVING SURGICAL PATIENTSALAN TAIT; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- COMPUTER AIDED STRESS REDUCTION, MENTAL HEALTH & CANCERLorenzo Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- SPEECH AND RESPIRATORY AERODYNAMICS IN CLEFT PALATEDavid Zajac; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is possible, for example, that therapeutic techniques may be developed that incorporate specific respiratory strategies employed by speakers with cleft palate who exhibit acceptable speech characteristics. ..
- ANESHETIC MODULATION OF NATIVE NICOTINIC RECEPTORSPamela Flood; Fiscal Year: 2003..The resulting information will provide understanding of the molecular mechanism underlying one of the anesthetic effects that limit anesthetic safety. ..
- APOE Genotype and Sequelae of Infant Cardiac SurgeryJames Gaynor; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Postoperative Cognitive Dysfunction in the ElderlyTerri Monk; Fiscal Year: 2004..Given the breadth of my proposed training program, I will be able to interact with and serve as a mentor for anesthesiologists and also the broader corpus of scientists, both clinical and basic, interested in aging and neuroscience. ..
- PRESURGICAL STRESS REDUCTION MENTAL HEALTH AND CANCERLorenzo Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2002..We hypothesize that pre-surgical stress management will reduce the negative impact of RP assessed by psychological, physiological, and quality of life measures. ..
- fMRI Measures of Central Sensitization in MigraineDavid Borsook; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Nanoscale approaches to allelic silencing in myocardial disease statesEuan Ashley; Fiscal Year: 2009..This familial condition where the heart grows too thick is the most common cause of sudden death in young people and athletes. ..
- Biobehavioral Effects of Yoga During Cancer TreatmentLorenzo Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- HGF Signaling in Adipose Tissue Growth and MetabolismRobert V Considine; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- IMPROVING INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL RESOURCESMARVIN SWINDLE; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Prognosis and Effectiveness of Advanced Lung Cancer Treatment in the ElderlyJuan P Wisnivesky; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will provide information regarding the efficacy of several therapies and may help resolve several controversies regarding the staging and treatment of elderly patients with advanced stage lung cancer. ..
- CNS Reward/Aversion Circuitry Activated by Pain/OpioidsDavid Borsook; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- CHINESE PARALYTIC SYNDROME - MECHANISMS AND RELEVANCEGUY MC KHANN; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- ACUTE TOLERANCE IN ANESTHETIC ACTIONS AND INTERACTIONSIgor Kissin; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Functional Health CAT in DiabetesCarolyn Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Functional Outcomes in Pediatric Liver TransplantationEstella Alonso; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Molecular Characterization of p53R2 in Head and Neck CaStuart Wong; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will identify and characterize the frequency of p53R2 gene SNPs in HNSCC patients and test the hypothesis that p53R2 gene SNPs predict adverse normal tissue radiation effects in HNSCC patients treated with radiation. ..
- Tendon Strains in Rotator Cuff Injury/Repair Using MRILOUIS SOSLOWSKY; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Infection, Persistence & Clearance of Oral HPV in WomenJimmy Efird; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Racial Disparities in Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseGEOFFREY NGUYEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Quality of Life in Partners of Survivors of Prostate CancerJanet Harden; Fiscal Year: 2007..Findings can be used as the basis for the design and implementation of future couple-focused interventions for prostate cancer patients. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Osteolysis and Implant Wear: Biological, Biomedical Engineering, and Surgical PriStuart Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Rehabilitation of Spinal Cord Injury-Related PainMark Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Electrocorticographic Study of Categorical Phoneme Perception in the Human TemporEdward Chang; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Evidence-Based Medicine in the Skilled Nursing FacilityCathleen Colon Emeric; Fiscal Year: 2008..Common geriatric syndromes conditions (UTI, fever, osteoporosis, falls, and pneumonia) will be targeted, and both an academic and a community-based Veterans Administration Nursing Home Care Unit will be used. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Improving Institutional Animal Resources at MUSCMARVIN SWINDLE; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pediatric Thin-Film TiNi Catheter-Based Heart ValveDaniel Levi; Fiscal Year: 2005..Phase II studies will focus on accelerated wear testing, long-term in vivo animal testing, and manufacturing issues. ..
- Natural History of POP-- A Prospective Cohort StudyIngrid Nygaard; Fiscal Year: 2005..The national cost burden is large. This project will provide fundamental data to guide future decisions about intervention threshold, preventative measures, and risk factor modification. ..
- Brief Psychosocial Intervention for Head and Neck Cancer Patients and PartnersDONNA POSLUSZNY; Fiscal Year: 2008..Twenty of these couples will also participate in a qualitative[unreadable] interview. Ten additional couples will be recruited to test the feasibilty of the psychosocial intervention. ..
- Diabetes and Drug-Associated Hyperkalemia: Effect of Laboratory MonitoringMarsha Raebel; Fiscal Year: 2008..The findings will also assist in developing a framework for future studies to evaluate the effects and costs of medication-laboratory monitoring among patients with diabetes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPING BSL3 ANIMAL FACILITIES AT MUSCMARVIN SWINDLE; Fiscal Year: 2004..The facility will be in full compliance with CDC and NIH regulations for performing this type of research. ..
- Long-term White Matter Changes Resulting from Delirium after SurgeryJames Rudolph; Fiscal Year: 2008..If the hypotheses are confirmed, this will alter our fundamental understanding of delirium as a short-term disorder and future studies can use imaging to prevent, identify, and treat delirium. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- COMPLEMENT-MEDIATED NEURONAL INJURY IN STROKEEDWARD SANDER CONNOLLY; Fiscal Year: 2010....