Summary: A procedure in which fluid is withdrawn from a body cavity via a trocar and cannula, needle, or other hollow instrument.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications235 found, 100 shown here
- The management and nursing care of cirrhotic ascitesSuzanne Sargent
Institute of Liver Studies, King s College Hospital, London
Br J Nurs 15:212-9. 2006..In recent years, however, there have been several advances in the management of ascites. This article will discuss both the pathophysiology, and the current medical, surgical and nursing management of this condition...
- Malignant ascites: systematic review and guideline for treatmentGerhild Becker
Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital of Freiburg, Hugstetter Str 55, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Cancer 42:589-97. 2006A guideline on the management of symptomatic malignant ascites by abdominal paracentesis, diuretics and peritoneovenous shunting, based on a systematic review of the literature is presented. Thirty-two relevant studies were identified...
- Beyond the comfort zone: residents assess their comfort performing inpatient medical proceduresGrace C Huang
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02215, USA
Am J Med 119:71.e17-24. 2006..As a result, residents may be unskilled and uncomfortable performing procedures. This study characterizes residents' comfort performing medical procedures and identifies factors associated with lack of comfort...
- Comparison of outcome in patients with cirrhosis and ascites following treatment with albumin or a synthetic colloid: a randomised controlled pilot trailRichard Moreau
Service d Hépatologie and INSERM Unité 481, Hopital Beaujon, Clichy, France
Liver Int 26:46-54. 2006The question of which colloid (albumin or synthetic colloids) used for plasma expansion following paracentesis or other complications requiring fluid loading in patients with cirrhosis remains controversial.
- [TIPS is a life-prolonging treatment of those cirrhosis patients with ascites who can not be treated medically or with paracentesis]Claus Aalykke
Ugeskr Laeger 167:4197; author reply 4198-9. 2005
- Refractory ascites: pathogenesis, definition and therapy of a severe complication in patients with cirrhosisFrancesco Salerno
Policlinco IRCCS San Donato and Dipartimento di Scienze Medico Chirurgiche, Universita di Milano, Milano, Italy
Liver Int 30:937-47. 2010..In these patients ascites may be treated with periodic paracentesis or with transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt...
- Guidelines on the management of ascites in cirrhosisK P Moore
The UCL Institute of Hepatology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, UCL, Rowland Hill St, London NW3 2PF, UK
Gut 55:vi1-12. 2006
- The trifunctional antibody catumaxomab for the treatment of malignant ascites due to epithelial cancer: Results of a prospective randomized phase II/III trialMarkus M Heiss
Department of Surgery, Cologne Merheim Medical Center, University of Witten Herdecke, Cologne, Germany
Int J Cancer 127:2209-21. 2010..258) with recurrent symptomatic malignant ascites resistant to conventional chemotherapy were randomized to paracentesis plus catumaxomab (catumaxomab) or paracentesis alone (control) and stratified by cancer type (129 ovarian and ..
- Ultrasound guidance decreases complications and improves the cost of care among patients undergoing thoracentesis and paracentesisCatherine J Mercaldi
United BioSource Corporation, Bethesda, MD, USA
Chest 143:532-8. 2013Ultrasound guidance enables visualization of the needle insertion site for thoracentesis and paracentesis. The improved accuracy of needle placement using ultrasound may reduce risk of complications and their costs associated with these ..
- Randomized trial comparing albumin, dextran 70, and polygeline in cirrhotic patients with ascites treated by paracentesisA Gines
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 111:1002-10. 1996b>Paracentesis associated with plasma expanders is widely used for the treatment of ascites in cirrhosis...
- Albumin infusion in patients undergoing large-volume paracentesis: a meta-analysis of randomized trialsMauro Bernardi
Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica, Alma Mater Studiorum Universita di Bologna, Semeiotica Medica Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
Hepatology 55:1172-81. 2012..58; 95% CI, 0.39-0.87). In addition, mortality was lower in patients receiving albumin than alternative treatments (OR, 0.64; 95% CI, 0.41-0.98)...
- Renal resistive index and renal function before and after paracentesis in patients with hepatorenal syndrome and tense ascitesAndreas Umgelter
II Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaninger Str 22, 81675, Munich, Germany
Intensive Care Med 35:152-6. 2009To assess the effect of reducing intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) by paracentesis on renal resistive index (RI), hemodynamics and renal function.
- Treatment of cirrhotic tense ascites with Dextran-40 versus albumin associated with large volume paracentesis: a randomized controlled trialDiego Garcia-Compean
Service d Hepato Gastroenterologie, Hopital Saint Eloi, Montpellier, France
Ann Hepatol 1:29-35. 2002Intravenous albumin infusion prevents complications after large-volume paracentesis (LVP), particularly paracentesis-induced circulatory dysfunction (PCD), and improves patient survival. However, albumin is expensive...
- An evidence-based manual for abdominal paracentesisAngela McGibbon
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Dig Dis Sci 52:3307-15. 2007The purpose of this study was to provide evidence-based approaches to detect ascites, perform paracentesis, order tests, and interpret the results. A Medline search was performed to identify relevant articles...
- Subconjunctival reflux and need for paracentesis after intravitreal injection of 0.1 ml bevacizumab: comparison between 27-gauge and 30-gauge needleKatrin Lorenz
Department of Ophthalmology, University Medical Center, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Langenbeckstr 1, 55131, Mainz, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 248:1573-7. 2010Intravitreal injections may lead to a significant elevation of the intraocular pressure (IOP). A paracentesis may become necessary for acute reduction of the IOP in certain cases...
- Ocular decompression retinopathy after anterior chamber paracentesis for uveitic glaucomaSunil K Rao
Division of Ophthalmology, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, USA
Retina 29:280-1. 2009
- Ultrasound-guided thoracentesisDavid Feller-Kopman
Interventional Pulmonology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, One Deaconess Rd, Suite 201, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Chest 129:1709-14. 2006..This article will review the relevant literature supporting the use of ultrasound for the evaluation of patients with pleural disease and address some practical practice management issues regarding ultrasonography...
- Respiratory impact of paracentesis in cirrhotic patients with acute lung injuryEric Levesque
AP HP Hopital Paul Brousse, Centre Hepato Biliaire, Villejuif, France
J Crit Care 26:257-61. 2011..Ascites may contribute to the loss of lung volume and alter the gas exchange in cirrhotic patients with acute lung injury (ALI)...
- Effectiveness of diagnostic paracentesis and ascites analysis for suspected strangulation obstructionShin Kobayashi
Department of Surgery, Okinawa Chubu Hospital, Okinawa, Japan
J Gastrointest Surg 11:240-6. 2007..We conducted a prospective observational study. We performed diagnostic paracentesis preoperatively for patients with suspected strangulation obstruction or, if that was impossible, we obtained ..
- [Etiologic and laboratory analyses of ascites in patients who underwent diagnostic paracentesis]Young Hwangbo
Department of Internal Medicine, Kyung Hee University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Hepatol 13:185-95. 2007..Assuming that there might be regional differences in etiologies and changes in their frequency over time, we investigated causes of ascites and the diagnostic usefulness of various laboratory tests...
- Deterioration in quality of life (QoL) in patients with malignant ascites: results from a phase II/III study comparing paracentesis plus catumaxomab with paracentesis aloneP Wimberger
Gynaecology and Obstetrics Clinic, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Ann Oncol 23:1979-85. 2012..Following the demonstration of the superiority of catumaxomab and paracentesis over paracentesis on puncture-free survival, this analysis aimed at comparing deterioration in QoL between both ..
- [Variations in intraocular pressure (IOP) and necessity for paracentesis following intravitreal triamcinolone injection]M C Dwinger
Universitäts Augenklinik Bonn
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 222:638-42. 2005..To decrease the intravitreal volume a paracentesis is advocated by many surgeons...
- Severe haemorrhage following abdominal paracentesis for ascites in patients with liver diseaseI Pache
Service d Hepatologie, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hopital Saint Luc, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:525-9. 2005Bleeding is a recognized complication of abdominal paracentesis. Special concern has been raised when it is performed in patients with liver failure because of coagulation disorders and collaterals in the abdominal wall.
- Cost analysis model of outpatient management of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome with paracentesis: "tap early and often" versus hospitalizationJohn M Csokmay
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Fertil Steril 93:167-73. 2010To compare the cost of two treatment regimens for moderate to severe ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS): conservative inpatient versus outpatient management with paracentesis.
- Temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis: an open label trial of 76 patients treated with arthrocentesis plus hyaluronic acid injectionsD Manfredini
TMD Clinic, Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Padua, Italy
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:827-34. 2009....
- Prognostic indicators of the outcome of arthrocentesis: a short-term follow-up studyRüdiger Emshoff
Department of Oral and Maxillo Facial Surgery, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 96:12-8. 2003....
- Beta-blockers cause paracentesis-induced circulatory dysfunction in patients with cirrhosis and refractory ascites: a cross-over studyThomas Sersté
INSERM, U773, Centre de Recherche Biomédicale Bichat Beaujon CRB3 Clichy, Paris, France
J Hepatol 55:794-9. 2011In patients with cirrhosis and refractory ascites the role of beta-blockers in the development of paracentesis-induced circulatory dysfunction (PICD) is unknown...
- Anchored disc phenomenon with a normally positioned disc in the temporomandibular joint: characteristics and behaviourKeiseki Kaneyama
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kanazawa Medical University, 1 1 Daigaku, Uchinada cho, Kahoku gun, Ishikawa prefecture 920 0293, Japan
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45:279-83. 2007..These findings may provide a new treatment in patients with normally positioned discs, despite the small number studied...
- Effect of arthrocentesis and sodium hyaluronate injection on nitrite, nitrate, and thiobarbituric acid-reactive substance levels in the synovial fluidC Alpaslan
Gazi University, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Ankara, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 89:686-90. 2000..To evaluate the effect of arthrocentesis and sodium hyaluronate (SH) injections on nitrite, nitrate, and thiobarbituric acid-reactive substance (TBA-RS) levels in temporomandibular joint internal derangements...
- Adhesive force: the underlying cause of the disc anchorage to the fossa and/or eminence in the temporomandibular joint--a new conceptD W Nitzan
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, The Hebrew University Hadassah School of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 31:94-9. 2002..Since it is uncommon for two opposing surfaces to be stripped bare and to become adherent, the likelihood of anchored disc phenomenon (ADP) occurring and recurring is very low...
- A one-year case series of arthrocentesis with hyaluronic acid injections for temporomandibular joint osteoarthritisLuca Guarda-Nardini
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:e14-22. 2007..The present study presents a case series on the efficacy of arthrocentesis with hyaluronic acid injections for the treatment of temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis by providing patient evaluations at a one-year follow-up...
- Anterior chamber paracentesis cytology (cytospin technique) for the diagnosis of intraocular lymphomaP T Finger
The New York Eye Cancer Center, 115 E 61st Street, New York City, NY 10021, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 90:690-2. 2006..To report on the diagnosis of intraocular lymphoma by aqueous cytology...
- Closed lock (MRI fixed disc): a comparison of arthrocentesis and arthroscopyJ F Sanromán
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Povisa Medical Center, C Salamanca 5, Vigo 36211, Spain
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 33:344-8. 2004..All such patients improved their symptoms postoperatively. In conclusion both TMJ arthroscopy and arthrocentesis give good results upon treating patients with anchored disc phenomenon (ADP)...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt versus paracentesis plus albumin in patients with refractory ascites who have good hepatic and renal function: a prospective randomized trialYoshiyuki Narahara
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8603, Japan
J Gastroenterol 46:78-85. 2011..The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy of TIPS to that of large-volume paracentesis in cirrhotic patients with refractory ascites who have good hepatic and renal function.
- The safety of anterior chamber paracentesis in patients with uveitisC M G Cheung
Br J Ophthalmol 88:582-3. 2004
- Anterior chamber paracentesis in patients with acute elevation of intraocular pressureStéphane Arnavielle
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Burgundy, General Hospital, 3 rue Faubourg Raines, 21033, Dijon cédex BP 1519, France
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:345-50. 2007The purpose was to evaluate the efficacy and the safety of anterior chamber paracentesis (ACP) in acute elevation of intraocular pressure (IOP).
- Efficacy and safety of immediate anterior chamber paracentesis in the treatment of acute primary angle-closure glaucoma: a pilot studyDennis S C Lam
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Eye Hospital, 147K Argyle Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Ophthalmology 109:64-70. 2002To study the safety and effectiveness of immediate anterior chamber paracentesis, combined with antiglaucomatous medications, in the intraocular pressure control and relief of symptoms of acute primary angle-closure glaucoma (PACG).
- Does this patient have bacterial peritonitis or portal hypertension? How do I perform a paracentesis and analyze the results?Camilla L Wong
Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
JAMA 299:1166-78. 2008..Abdominal paracenteses are performed in patients with ascites, most commonly to assess for infection or portal hypertension and to manage refractory ascites...
- Efficacy of temporomandibular joint arthrocentesis with and without injection of sodium hyaluronate in treatment of internal derangementsG H Alpaslan
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 59:613-8; discussion 618-9. 2001..This study was designed to investigate the efficacy of arthrocentesis with and without injection of sodium hyaluronate (SH) into the upper joint space in the treatment of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) internal derangements...
- Comparison of a new device for the continuous intra-gastric measurement of intra-abdominal pressure (CiMon) with direct intra-peritoneal measurements in cirrhotic patients during paracentesisValentin Becker
II Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ismaningerstr 22, 81675 Munich, Germany
Intensive Care Med 35:948-52. 2009..To evaluate a new commercially available system for the intra-gastric measurement of intra-abdominal pressure (IAP)...
- Abdominal compartment syndrome in the pediatric blunt trauma patient treated with paracentesis: report of two casesRichard P Sharpe
Department of Pediatric General and Thoracic Surgery, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19104, USA
J Trauma 53:380-2. 2002
- Determining predictor variables for treatment outcomes of arthrocentesis and hydraulic distention of the temporomandibular jointRüdiger Emshoff
University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:816-23. 2004....
- Paracentesis for resuscitation-induced abdominal compartment syndrome: an alternative to decompressive laparotomy in the burn patientMichael W Parra
Department of Surgical Education, Orlando Regional Medical Center, Orlando, Florida 32806, USA
J Trauma 60:1119-21. 2006
- Malignant ascites symptom cluster in patients referred for paracentesisAmna Husain
Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Ann Surg Oncol 17:461-9. 2010Malignant ascites (MA) is a distressing problem usually managed by repeated paracenteses. Paracentesis represents a meaningful time point in identifying patients with a specific presentation.
- Temporomandibular joint pain: relationship to internal derangement type, osteoarthrosis, and synovial fluid mediator level of tumor necrosis factor-alphaR Emshoff
University of Innsbruck, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Austria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 90:442-9. 2000....
- A comparison of paracentesis and transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting in patients with ascitesM Rossle
Medizinische Klinik II, Albrecht Ludwigs Universität, Department of Gastroenterology, Freiburg, Germany
N Engl J Med 342:1701-7. 2000..However, the benefit of this procedure as compared with that of large-volume paracentesis is uncertain.
- Magnetic resonance imaging findings of internal derangement, osteoarthrosis, effusion, and bone marrow edema before and after performance of arthrocentesis and hydraulic distension of the temporomandibular jointRüdiger Emshoff
Department of Oral and Maxillo Facial Surgery, University Clinic of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:784-90. 2006....
- Therapeutic outcome assessment in permanent temporomandibular joint disc displacementT J Kropmans
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Groningen, The Netherlands
J Oral Rehabil 26:357-63. 1999..Results of methodological sound outcome studies evaluating the effects of arthroscopic surgery, arthrocentesis and physical therapy are needed...
- Effects of a selective vasopressin V2 receptor antagonist, satavaptan, on ascites recurrence after paracentesis in patients with cirrhosisFlorence Wong
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada
J Hepatol 53:283-90. 2010Cirrhotic patients with recurrent ascites frequently require paracentesis despite diuretic therapy. Vasopressin receptor antagonists, by increasing free water clearance, may reduce the recurrence of ascites...
- Multiple retinal hemorrhage following anterior chamber paracentesis in uveitic glaucomaSang Joon Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, Kosin University, Pusan, Korea
Korean J Ophthalmol 20:128-30. 2006We describe the occurrence of a massive retinal hemorrhage following anterior chamber paracentesis in uveitic glaucoma.
- Prognostic factors in arthrocentesis of the temporomandibular joint: evaluation of 100 patients with internal derangementM Nishimura
Received from the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kanazawa Medical University, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 59:874-7; discussion 878. 2001..The goal of this study was to analyze the prognostic factors for successful arthrocentesis for internal derangement (ID) of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ)...
- Transcatheter embolization of a pseudoaneurysm of the inferior epigastric artery with N-butyl cyanoacrylateS W Park
Department of Radiology, Konkuk University Hospital, 4 12 Hwayang dong, Gwangjin gu, 143 729 Seoul, Republic of Korea
Br J Radiol 81:e64-7. 2008..After therapeutic paracentesis, haemoperitoneum ensued without colour Doppler ultrasound or CT evidence of pseudoaneurysm or haematoma at the ..
- Can arthrocentesis release intracapsular adhesions? Arthroscopic findings before and after irrigation under sufficient hydraulic pressureShinya Yura
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Tonami General Hospital, 1 6 Shintomi cho, Tonami City, Toyama ken 939 1395, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:1253-6. 2003..To investigate the effect of release of intra-articular adhesions of arthrocentesis, we examined patients with closed lock of the temporomandibular joint by arthroscopy before and after irrigation...
- [Refractory ascites in hemodialysis: treatment by paracentesis- reinjection during dialysis]M Touam
Service de néphrologie et INSERM U 507, Hopital Necker, Paris
Nephrologie 22:25-8. 2001..Abdominal paracentesis was performed on initiation of the dialysis session...
- Pattern and prognostic factors in patients with malignant ascites: a retrospective studyA A Ayantunde
Department of Surgery, Nottingham University Hospitals, Nottingham City Hospital Campus, Nottingham, UK
Ann Oncol 18:945-9. 2007..Malignant ascites is a manifestation of end stage events in a variety of cancers and associated with a poor prognosis. We evaluated the pattern of cancers causing malignant ascites and factors affecting survival...
- Choosing the location for non-image guided abdominal paracentesisHideki Sakai
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Kashiwa City Hospital, Kashiwa, Chiba, Japan
Liver Int 25:984-6. 2005The optimal location for paracentesis has not been studied scientifically...
- Effect of paracentesis of ascitic fluids on urinary output and blood indices in patients with severe ovarian hyperstimulation syndromeIshai Levin
Department of Gynecology, Lis Maternity Hospital, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, affiliated with the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Fertil Steril 77:986-8. 2002To determine the isolated effect of abdominal paracentesis of ascitic fluid in women with severe OHSS on urine production and blood indices.
- Ultrasound-assisted paracentesis performed by emergency physicians vs the traditional technique: a prospective, randomized studyShameem R Nazeer
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75390, USA
Am J Emerg Med 23:363-7. 2005To determine if emergency center ultrasound (ECUS) can be of value to emergency physicians in the evaluation of possible ascites and accompanying decisions to perform emergent paracentesis.
- A meta-analysis of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt versus paracentesis for refractory ascitesAgustin Albillos
Servicio de Gastroenterologia, Hospital Universitario Ramon y Cajal, Departamento de Medicina, Universidad de Alcala, Madrid, Spain
J Hepatol 43:990-6. 2005Meta-analysis designed to provide evidence-based guidance on the effect of TIPS and paracentesis on mortality and encephalopathy in cirrhotic patients with refractory ascites.
- Relationship between effectiveness of arthrocentesis under sufficient pressure and conditions of the temporomandibular jointShinya Yura
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Tonami General Hospital, Tonami, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:225-8. 2005..The purpose of this study is to investigate the conditions of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) relative to the effectiveness of arthrocentesis under sufficient hydraulic pressure in patients with chronic closed lock...
- Spontaneous ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome in a normal singleton pregnancyOzer Oztekin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol 45:272-5. 2006..However, OHSS may rarely be associated with a spontaneous ovulatory cycle, usually in the case of multiple gestations, hypothyroidism or polycystic ovary syndrome...
- Risk of complications after abdominal paracentesis in cirrhotic patients: a prospective studyAndrea De Gottardi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:906-9. 2009Complications and technical problems of paracentesis in cirrhotic patients are infrequent. However, the severity and the incidence of these events and their risk factors have not been assessed prospectively.
- Multiple retinal haemorrhages (decompression retinopathy) following paracentesis for macular branch artery occlusionR Gupta
Eye (Lond) 19:592-3. 2005
- Videos in clinical medicine. ParacentesisTodd W Thomsen
N Engl J Med 355:e21. 2006
- Treatment of malignant ascites in patients with advanced cancer: peritoneovenous shunt versus paracentesisMasahiro Seike
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Toho University Ohashi Medical Center, Meguro ku, Tokyo, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:2161-6. 2007..Malignant ascites in patients with advanced cancer is often difficult to treat and effective palliation is not achieved...
- The ability of existing questionnaires to measure symptom change after paracentesis for symptomatic ascitesAlexandra M Easson
Department of Surgical Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital and Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, 610 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2M9
Ann Surg Oncol 14:2348-57. 2007..Although the goal of paracentesis, the most common therapeutic intervention, is symptom palliation, the best method of assessing symptom ..
- EUS-guided paracentesis for the diagnosis of malignant ascitesNeeraj Kaushik
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 64:908-13. 2006..Malignant ascites usually represents peritoneal carcinomatosis, increases disease stage, and portends a poor prognosis. There are limited data regarding the yield of EUS-guided paracentesis (EUS-P) for the diagnosis of malignant ascites.
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting versus paracentesis plus albumin for refractory ascites in cirrhosisPere Gines
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomédiques August Pi Sunyer IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Instituto Reina Sofia de Investigacion Nefrologica, Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
Gastroenterology 123:1839-47. 2002The transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) has been shown to be more effective than repeated paracentesis plus albumin in the control of refractory ascites...
- Terlipressin versus albumin in paracentesis-induced circulatory dysfunction in cirrhosis: a randomized studyVirendra Singh
Department of Hepatology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:303-7. 2006Therapeutic paracentesis in patients with cirrhosis induces arterial vasodilatation, causes a decrease in effective arterial blood volume and leads to circulatory dysfunction, which can be prevented by intravenous albumin...
- Randomized controlled study of TIPS versus paracentesis plus albumin in cirrhosis with severe ascitesFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, University and Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico Instituto di Ricerca e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Hepatology 40:629-35. 2004..However, the effect of TIPS on survival as compared with that of large-volume paracentesis plus albumin is uncertain...
- Performance standards for therapeutic abdominal paracentesisCatherine M Grabau
Advanced Liver Diseases Study Group, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Hepatology 40:484-8. 2004Large-volume paracentesis, the preferred treatment for patients with symptomatic tense ascites due to cirrhosis, has traditionally been performed by physicians as an inpatient procedure...
- Randomized trial comparing albumin and saline in the prevention of paracentesis-induced circulatory dysfunction in cirrhotic patients with ascitesJavier Sola-Vera
Liver Unit, Internal Medicine Department, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Spain
Hepatology 37:1147-53. 2003b>Paracentesis-induced circulatory dysfunction (PICD) is a recently described complication that can be prevented with the administration of plasma expanders...
- The current and future management of malignant ascitesE M Smith
Department of Palliative Medicine, Christie Hospital, Withington, Manchester, U K
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 15:59-72. 2003..In this article we discuss various modalities which are available including diuretic therapy, paracentesis, peritoneovenous shunts and intraperitoneal chemotherapy...
- Mastery learning of thoracentesis skills by internal medicine residents using simulation technology and deliberate practiceDiane B Wayne
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Hosp Med 3:48-54. 2008..Thoracentesis has been identified as a core competency for hospitalists. Residency training may not provide adequate preparation to perform this procedure...
- Effects of plasma expansion with albumin and paracentesis on haemodynamics and kidney function in critically ill cirrhotic patients with tense ascites and hepatorenal syndrome: a prospective uncontrolled trialAndreas Umgelter
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik der Technischen Universität München, Ismaningerstrasse 22, 81675 Munchen, Germany
Crit Care 12:R4. 2008..This study investigates the short-term effects of paracentesis on haemodynamics and kidney function in volume resuscitated patients with HRS.
- Impact of a bedside procedure service on general medicine inpatients: A firm-based trialBrian P Lucas
Department of Medicine, John H Stroger Jr Hospital of Cook County, and Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Hosp Med 2:143-9. 2007..Procedure services may improve the training of bedside procedures. However, little is known about how procedure services may affect the demand for and success of procedures performed on general medicine inpatients...
- Development of a test to evaluate residents' knowledge of medical proceduresShilpa Grover
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Hosp Med 4:430-2. 2009..In this study we aimed to develop a standardized test of procedural knowledge in 3 medical procedures associated with potentially serious complications...
- The development of clinical guidelines on paracentesis for ascites related to malignancyJ Stephenson
Derriford Hospital and St Luke s Hospice, Plymouth, UK
Palliat Med 16:213-8. 2002Malignancy-related ascites gives rise to troublesome symptoms and carries a poor prognosis. Abdominal paracentesis is a widely used and effective procedure for symptom relief, but practice with regard to the procedure itself may vary ..
- Noradrenaline and albumin in paracentesis-induced circulatory dysfunction in cirrhosis: a randomized pilot studyV Singh
Department of Hepatology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
J Intern Med 260:62-8. 2006Therapeutic paracentesis in patients with cirrhosis is associated with a circulatory dysfunction. Intravenous albumin has been used to prevent the circulatory dysfunction; however, the use of albumin is controversial and costly...
- Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis and bacterascites prevalence in asymptomatic cirrhotic outpatients undergoing large-volume paracentesisJose Castellote
Hepatology Section IDIBELL, Bellvitge University Hospital, L Hospitalet, Barcelona, Spain
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:256-9. 2008..Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis and bacterascites prevalence in asymptomatic cirrhotic patients on large-volume paracentesis is unknown...
- Creation of an innovative inpatient medical procedure service and a method to evaluate house staff competencyC Christopher Smith
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Gen Intern Med 19:510-3. 2004..The American Board of Internal Medicine requires substantiation of competence in procedure skills for all internal medicine residents; however, for most procedures, standards of competence do not exist...
- Intraperitoneal bevacizumab for the palliation of malignant ascites in refractory ovarian cancerChad A Hamilton
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC 20307 5001, USA
Gynecol Oncol 111:530-2. 2008..Current treatments, including dietary, medical, and procedural are often temporary and unsatisfactory options in patients approaching the end of life...
- Abdominal decompression plays a major role in early postparacentesis haemodynamic changes in cirrhotic patients with tense ascitesJ Cabrera
Hepatology Section, Unit of Investigation, Hospital General Universitario de Gran Canaria, Doctor Negrín, Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Gut 48:384-9. 2001Some cirrhotic patients with tense ascites who undergo paracentesis develop a circulatory dysfunction syndrome, manifested by an increase in plasma renin activity...
- Understanding the mechanisms of paracentesis-induced crculatory dysfunctionJavier Sola-Vera
Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital Universitario de Elche, Hospital General Universitario, Alicante, Spain
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:295-8. 2004Large-volume paracentesis induces early beneficial haemodynamic changes that may be shortly followed by a disorder known as paracentesis-induced circulatory dysfunction, characterized by a marked activation of the renin-angiotensin axis...
- Safety profile of anterior chamber paracentesis performed at the slit lampDeepali Trivedi
Academic Unit of Ophthalmology, School of Immunity and Infection, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 39:725-8. 2011Anterior chamber paracentesis is a valuable diagnostic tool in the management of uveitis, but may be underutilized because of concerns over its safety...
- Patients with severe ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome can be managed safely with aggressive outpatient transvaginal paracentesisLaura P Smith
Boston IVF, Waltham, Massachusetts 02451, USA
Fertil Steril 92:1953-9. 2009To describe our experience with aggressive outpatient transvaginal paracentesis to manage ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS).
- Prospective study comparing human albumin vs. reinfusion of ultrafiltrate-ascitic fluid after total paracentesis in cirrhotic patients with tense ascitesD Zaak
Heinz Kalk Hospital, Dep of Surgery and Medicine, D 97688 Bad Kissingen, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 39:5-10. 2001Although, total paracentesis associated with human albumin substitution has shown to be a rapid, effective and safe treatment of diuretic refractory ascites in advanced liver cirrhosis, it implies high costs and has a limited availability...
- Comparative pilot study of repeated large volume paracentesis vs the combination on clonidine-spironolactone in the treatment of cirrhosis-associated refractory ascitesAnne Lenaerts
University Department of Hepato Gastroenterology, CHU de Charleroi, Charleroi, Belgium
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 29:1137-42. 2005..To study the usefulness of the combination of clonidine--spironolactone in refractory ascites...
- Bedside leucocyte esterase reagent strips with spectrophotometric analysis to rapidly exclude spontaneous bacterial peritonitis: a pilot studyDaniel R Gaya
Department of Gastroenterology, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:289-95. 2007....
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt for refractory ascites: a meta-analysis of individual patient dataFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Gastroenterology 133:825-34. 2007..controlled trials have compared a transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) with large-volume paracentesis in cirrhotic patients with refractory ascites...
- Hyperacute fulminant fungal peritonitis and ascites in a HIV-infected patient with HCV-related, compensated liver cirrhosis. A supportive role for prolonged nimesulide self-administrationRoberto Manfredi
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 24:475-7. 2006
- Validation of body mass index for the diagnosis of malnutrition in patients with liver cirrhosisBernard Campillo
Service de Rééducation Digestive, Hopital Albert Chenevier, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Creteil
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 30:1137-43. 2006..Simple clinical tools are needed to detect malnutrition in cirrhotic patients. We have validated optimal body mass index (BMI) cut-offs for the diagnosis of malnutrition in accordance with the importance of ascites...
- [Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent-shunts or paracentesis in the treatment of cirrhotic patients with refractory ascites]Mark A Ainsworth
Amtssygehuset i Herlev, Medicinsk Gastroenterologisk Afdeling C, Herlev
Ugeskr Laeger 167:3273-6. 2005
- Management of ascites in cirrhosisBimaljit Singh Sandhu
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, MCV Box 980341, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Clin Liver Dis 9:715-32, viii. 2005..Large volume paracentesis and transjugular intrahepatic porto-systemic shunts are useful in managing patients with refractory ascites...
- [Diagnosis of spontaneous ascites infection in patients with cirrhosis: reagent strips]B Wisniewski
Service d Hepatogastroenterologie, Centre Hospitalier Sud Francilien, quartier du Canal Courcouronnes, 91014 Evry Cedex
Presse Med 34:997-1000. 2005....
- [The role of TIPS in the treatment of refractory ascites]Jean Marie Peron
Service d Hepato Gastroenterologie, Fédération Digestive, Hopital Purpan, Toulouse
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 31:341-6. 2007
- Current concepts in the management of refractory cirrhotic ascitesS A Oguntona
Department of Medicine, Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu, Ogun State, Nigeria
Niger J Med 15:197-202. 2006..This condition when refractory to treatment heralds more severe complications and a poor prognosis. The aim of this paper is to review literature on the pathogenesis and current management of refractory cirrhotic ascites...
- Management of refractory ascitesAndres Cardenas
Liver Unit, Institute of Digestive Diseases, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:1187-91. 2005
- Total ascitic fluid leukocyte count for reliable exclusion of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in patients with ascitesBjörn Christian Link
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik I, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universitat, Bonn, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:181-6. 2006..250 g/l determined via cytological (microscopic) examination. In this study, we correlated the automatically assessed total ascitic nucleated cell count with PMN and determined its predictive value for diagnosis of SBP...
- Diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in cirrhotic patients in northeastern Brazil by use of rapid urine-screening testLucia Libanez Bessa Campelo Braga
Hospital Universitario Walter Cantidio, Universidade Federal do Ceara, Rua Professor Costa Mendes 1 608, CEP 60436 170 Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 124:141-4. 2006..The aim of this study was to assess the sensitivity and specificity of urine test strips for diagnosing SBP in cirrhotic patients with ascites...
- Temporomandibular joint internal derangement and osteoarthrosis: are effusion and bone marrow edema prognostic indicators for arthrocentesis and hydraulic distention?Rüdiger Emshoff
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Clinic Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:66-73. 2007..The purpose of this study was to investigate whether the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) variables of effusion and/or bone marrow edema may predict treatment outcomes of arthrocentesis and hydraulic distention of the TMJ...
- CIRRHOSIS AND ITS COMPLICATIONSGuadalupe Garcia Tsao; Fiscal Year: 2009..successfully completed and resulted in a publication that has led to the recommendation of using large-volume paracentesis + albumin as standard of care in the treatment of refractory ascites. As a rational followup to this study, Dr...
- IN VIVO INHIBITORS OF OCULAR PROSTAGLANDIN SYNTHESISSTEVEN PODOS; Fiscal Year: 1980..Indomethacin or aspirin decreased the response of the eye to paracentesis, mechanical irritation, and compression...
- ROLE OF PROSTAGLANDIN, THROMBOXANE AND RELATED AUTACOIDSPrasad Kulkarni; Fiscal Year: 1991..Three types of inflammation models will be used: a) paracentesis (no cellular response), b) endotoxin-induced uveitis (all inflammatory responses present) and c) corneal ..
- ANTERIOR CHAMBER FLUID ACETYLCHOLINE CONCENTRATIONJonathan Wirtschafter; Fiscal Year: 1980..possible to reliably measure the acetylcholine (ACh) concentration in anterior chamber fluid aqueous humor by paracentesis obtained from single eyes of rabbits and cats. ACh is normally present in a number of ocular tissues...
- Ocular Inflammation-Chemical and Physiological AspectsCHRISTOPHER PATERSON; Fiscal Year: 2003..antagonists on the mouse ocular inflammation induced by exogenously applied prostaglandin E2, anterior chamber paracentesis and endotoxin...
- LYMPHOCYTE/TUMOR INTERACTIONS IN SCID/HU CHIMERIC MICEAlbert Donnenberg; Fiscal Year: 1993..Ovarian ascites cells are available in large number as a byproduct of therapeutic paracentesis. We are able to process up to 2xl0-10 cells in a single elutriation run, providing ample numbers of viable ..
- STUDY FOR THE TREATMENT OF REFRACTORY ASCITESArun Sanyal; Fiscal Year: 2000..Repeated large volume paracentesis (LVP), or total paracentesis (TP), are equally safe and efficacious in removing ascites, but are limited by ..
- FACTORS IN THE PREVENTION OF TOXIC LIVER INJURYThomas Boyer; Fiscal Year: 2008..The studies will clarify why expression of certain proteins fall during the acute phase response. ..
- Mechanisms and Therapeutics in Cancer Anorexia/CachexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2004..This K23 grant application will serve as a springboard to allow her to delve into the pathophysiology of this syndrome and to develop into an independent clinical investigator. ..
- Creatine: Is It a Body Builder for Cancer Patients?Aminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2004..obtain longitudinal toxicity and quality of life data on this same cohort of 50 patients and will make direct comparisons between treatment arms on toxicity incidence and severity and on maximal quality of life scores ..
- Neuropeptide Y for Cancer-Associated AnorexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2003..These two pilot studies will allow us to lay the groundwork for such larger trials. Our ultimate goal is to help cancer patients who suffer from anorexia. ..
- Improving the Care of Frequently Hospitalized Urban PoorAlicia Fernandez; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..
- Biliary Microlithiasis in Alcohol Induced PancreatitisArun Sanyal; Fiscal Year: 2007..The long-term goal is to use data from this R21 proposal to develop a RO1 proposal about a large scale phase III clinical trial of UDCA for alcohol-induced pancreatitis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Physiology of Systemic and Pulmonary MicroangiectasiasSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Gene Expression in Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2006..We present preliminary data on microarray and RT-PCRanalyses on 5 patients with BE that suggest an overactive Wnt pathway: we have also assembled the essential components of a successful study using microarrays. ..
- Microangiectasia Regulation of Lymphocyte MigrationSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ANTIFIBRILLATORY MECHANISMS OF INTRAPERICARDIAL AGENTSRICHARD VERRIER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Ultimately, the proposed studies could lead to improved therapeutic approaches for suppression of life-threatening arrhythmias. ..
- OCULAR MELANOMAPaul Finger; Fiscal Year: 2003..Standardized clinical and data collection procedures will be employed, and standardized forms will be used in all centers. Central training and certification of all study staff will be required. ..
- PEDIATRIC ONCOLOGY GROUP STUDIESThomas McLean; Fiscal Year: 2002....