Genomes and Genes
Summary: Surgical removal of a tonsil or tonsils. (Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications325 found, 100 shown here
- Tonsil size and body mass index are important factors for efficacy of simple tonsillectomy in obstructive sleep apnoea syndromeS Nakata
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Clin Otolaryngol 31:41-5. 2006To evaluate the efficacy of simple tonsillectomy to treat obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome (OSAS) in adults.
- Tonsillar TLR9 expression and efficacy of tonsillectomy with steroid pulse therapy in IgA nephropathy patientsDaisuke Sato
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Juntendo University Faculty of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Nephrol Dial Transplant 27:1090-7. 2012..In this study, we investigated correlations between tonsillar TLR9 messenger RNA expression, TLR9 SNP genotypes and clinical outcomes following tonsillectomy with steroid pulse therapy (SPT) in IgAN patients.
- Tonsillectomy and steroid pulse therapy significantly impact on clinical remission in patients with IgA nephropathyO Hotta
Department of Nephrology, Sendai Shakaihoken Hospital, Sendai, Japan
Am J Kidney Dis 38:736-43. 2001..the multivariate Cox regression model with 13 independent covariates, initial Scr level, histological score, tonsillectomy, and high-dose methylprednisolone therapy had a significant impact on clinical remission, whereas proteinuria, ..
- Coblation tonsillectomy: a double blind randomized controlled studyM S Timms
Department of Otolaryngology, Blackburn Royal Infirmary, UK
J Laryngol Otol 116:450-2. 2002b>Tonsillectomy has been performed by a number of techniques...
- Effect of tonsillectomy plus steroid pulse therapy on clinical remission of IgA nephropathy: a controlled studyHiroyuki Komatsu
Circulatory and Body Fluid Regulation, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Miyazaki, Kiyotake, Miyazaki, 889 1692, Japan
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:1301-7. 2008Few well-designed investigations have examined how tonsillectomy plus steroid pulse therapy affects IgA nephropathy...
- Postoperative pain following coblation tonsillectomy: randomized clinical trialNastasha Polites
Department of Otolaryngology, Flinders Medical Centre and Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
ANZ J Surg 76:226-9. 2006b>Tonsillectomy is one of the commonest surgical procedures, with postoperative pain being an important source of morbidity...
- Pediatric IgA nephropathy: clinical and therapeutic perspectivesRosanna Coppo
Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation, Regina Margherita University Children s Hospital, Turin, Italy
Semin Nephrol 28:18-26. 2008..Hence, detecting IgAN at the beginning of its natural history may offer the possibility of early treatment of the nephritis and/or its complications, with benefits for patients at the pediatric age, but even more benefits later in life...
- Helicobacter pylori and tonsillectomyL J Skinner
Department of Otolaryngology, Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Adelaide Road, Dublin 2, Ireland
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 26:505-9. 2001..Serology for Helicobacter pylori was performed on 50 patients undergoing tonsillectomy. Tonsillar specimens were monitored for urease activity by CLO test (a sealed plastic slide holding an agar ..
- Prophylaxis of postoperative vomiting in children undergoing tonsillectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysisC M Bolton
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management Royal Children s Hospital and Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Flemington Road Parkville, Melbourne, Australia 3052
Br J Anaesth 97:593-604. 2006Postoperative vomiting (POV) remains one of the commonest causes of significant morbidity after tonsillectomy in children...
- Relationship between tonsils and IgA nephropathy as well as indications of tonsillectomyYuansheng Xie
Kidney Center of PLA, Department of Nephrology, Chinese General Hospital of PLA, Beijing, China
Kidney Int 65:1135-44. 2004..IgA nephropathy (IgAN) and tonsils, respectively, reviews about the relationship between tonsils, tonsillitis, tonsillectomy, and IgAN are limited...
- The efficacy of tonsillectomy on long-term renal survival in patients with IgA nephropathyYuansheng Xie
Division of Clinical Nephrology and Rheumatology, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata, Japan
Kidney Int 63:1861-7. 2003Little information has been available until now about the clinical efficacy of tonsillectomy on long-term renal survival of patients with idiopathic immunoglobulin A nephropathy (IgAN).
- Tonsillectomy and steroid pulse (TSP) therapy for patients with IgA nephropathy: a nationwide survey of TSP therapy in Japan and an analysis of the predictive factors for resistance to TSP therapyNaoto Miura
Division of Nephrology and Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Aichi Medical University School of Medicine, Nagakute, Aichi, 480 1195, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 13:460-6. 2009b>Tonsillectomy and steroid pulse (TSP) therapy was proposed as a curative treatment for IgA nephropathy by Hotta et al...
- Changes in incidence and indications of tonsillectomy and adenotonsillectomy, 1970-2005Britt K Erickson
Mayo Medical School, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 140:894-901. 2009To investigate 35-year epidemiological trends in tonsillectomy and adenotonsillectomy. STUDY DESIGN/SUBJECTS: Cross-sectional survey...
- Assessing intravenous ketamine and intravenous dexamethasone separately and in combination for early oral intake, vomiting and postoperative pain relief in children following tonsillectomyMohammadreza Safavi
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Anesthesiology and Critical Care Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Med Arh 66:111-5. 2012..5 mg/kg i.v. dexamethasone in combination with 0.5 mg/kg i.v. ketamine on pain, early oral intake and vomiting in pediatric patients undergoing tonsillectomy during the first 24 hours of the postoperative period.
- Subcutaneous emphysema and pneumomediastinum after tonsillectomyJin Pyeong Kim
Department of Otolaryngology, Institute of Health Sciences, College of Medicine, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju, South Korea
Am J Otolaryngol 31:212-5. 2010Many patients and their families regard tonsillectomy as a minor operation because it is performed so commonly...
- Decreased CD4+CD25+ cells and increased dimeric IgA-producing cells in tonsils in IgA nephropathyHongdong Huang
Hunan Key Laboratory of Nephrology and Hemoperfusion, Division of Nephrology, Second Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Changsha, Hunan Province PR China
J Nephrol 23:202-9. 2010..However, the role of CD4+CD25+ cells, which play critical roles in maintaining peripheral tolerance and preventing autoimmunity, has not yet been defined in IgAN...
- Trends in the indications for pediatric tonsillectomy or adenotonsillectomyNoah P Parker
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 75:282-5. 2011To report trends in the indications for pediatric tonsillectomy or adenotonsillectomy.
- Significance of the duration of nephropathy for achieving clinical remission in patients with IgA nephropathy treated by tonsillectomy and steroid pulse therapyNorio Ieiri
Department of Nephrology, Sendai Shakaihoken Hospital, Tsutsumimachi 3 16 1, Aoba ku, Sendai, Miyagi, 981 8501, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 16:122-9. 2012..Treatment using a combination of tonsillectomy and steroid pulse (TSP) therapy has been reported as an effective method for obtaining clinical remission (CR),..
- A meta-analysis of the clinical remission rate and long-term efficacy of tonsillectomy in patients with IgA nephropathyYou Wang
Department of Nephrology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 1095 Jiefang Street, Wuhan 430030, People s Republic of China
Nephrol Dial Transplant 26:1923-31. 2011We wished to evaluate the clinical remission rate and long-term efficacy of tonsillectomy for patients with IgA nephropathy.
- Cohort study of advanced IgA nephropathy: efficacy and limitations of corticosteroids with tonsillectomyMitsuhiro Sato
Department of Nephrology, Sendai Shakaihoken Hospital, Sendai, Japan
Nephron Clin Pract 93:c137-45. 2003..Elevated serum creatinine is associated with poor outcome in IgA nephropathy (IgAN). The efficacy and limitations of corticosteroids in advanced IgAN (Cr >or=1.5 mg/dl), however, remains controversial...
- Dexmedetomidine reduces emergence agitation after tonsillectomy in children by sevoflurane anesthesia: a case-control studyQing tao Meng
Department of Anesthesiology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan 430060, China
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 76:1036-41. 2012To evaluate the efficacy and safety of dexmedetomidine for emergence agitation after tonsillectomy in children.
- Use of corticosteroids, other immunosuppressive therapies, and tonsillectomy in the treatment of IgA nephropathyOsamu Hotta
Department of Nephrology, Sendai Shakaihoken Hospital, Tsutsumimachi 3 16 1, Aoba ku, Sendai 981 8501, Japan
Semin Nephrol 24:244-55. 2004..more aggressive treatments, including high-dose corticosteroids, various immunosuppressive agents, and tonsillectomy, have been used for wider subgroups of patients with IgAN...
- Analgesic effect of ketamine and morphine after tonsillectomy in childrenFaeza Hasnain
Department of Pharmacy, Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan, Pakistan
Pak J Pharm Sci 25:599-606. 2012A comparative double blind study of Ketamine and Morphine was conducted on eighty children following tonsillectomy to assess the analgesic, respiratory rate depressant and emesis...
- Dexamethasone and risk of nausea and vomiting and postoperative bleeding after tonsillectomy in children: a randomized trialChristoph Czarnetzki
Division of Anesthesiology, University Hospitals of Geneva, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
JAMA 300:2621-30. 2008Dexamethasone is widely used to prevent postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) in pediatric tonsillectomy.
- Use of intravenous steroids at induction of anaesthesia for adult tonsillectomy to reduce post-operative nausea and vomiting and pain: a double-blind randomized controlled trialS McKean
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Victoria Hospital, Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Clin Otolaryngol 31:36-40. 2006To assess the effectiveness of intravenous steroids at induction of anaesthetic to reduce post-operative nausea and vomiting and pain after adult tonsillectomy.
- Pediatric total tonsillectomy using coblation compared to conventional electrosurgery: a prospective, controlled single-blind studyKelly E Stoker
Mountain West Ear, Nose, and Throat, Boutiful, UT 84010, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:666-75. 2004Postoperative recovery after tonsillectomy using Coblation excision (CES) was compared with conventional electrosurgery (ES).
- [PANDAS Syndrome: a new tonsillectomy indication?]Angel Batuecas Caletrio
Servicio de Otorrinolaringología y Patología Cérvico facial, Hospital Universitario de Salamanca, Salamanca, Espana
Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 59:362-3. 2008..A case report of a 9-year-old child with PANDAS syndrome is presented. This child has had no further symptoms after tonsillectomy. The understanding about PANDAS syndrome and tonsillectomy is reviewed.
- Intraoperative small-dose ketamine does not reduce pain or analgesic consumption during perioperative opioid analgesia in children after tonsillectomyY K Batra
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Al Sabah Hospital, Kuwait
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 45:155-60. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine the extent to which small-dose ketamine, when used in conjunction with remifentanil, has a morphine-sparing effect in the perioperative period...
- Cigarette smoking, appendectomy, and tonsillectomy as risk factors for the development of primary sclerosing cholangitis: a case control studyS A Mitchell
Department of Gastroenterology, Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Gut 51:567-73. 2002..Smoking, previous appendectomy, and tonsillectomy have been associated with a decreased risk of developing UC...
- Prospective, controlled clinical trial of Ankaferd Blood Stopper in children undergoing tonsillectomyAysenur Meric Teker
Otorhinolaryngology Department, Vakif Gureba Training and Research Hospital, Fatih, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 73:1742-5. 2009This is a prospective study evaluating the efficacy of Ankaferd Blood Stopper as a hemostatic agent compared to hemostasis by means of knot-tie after cold knife dissection tonsillectomy.
- Synchronous bilateral tonsillar carcinoma: role of fluoro-deoxyglucose positron emission tomography scanning in detecting occult primary tumours in metastatic nodal disease of the head and neckT Price
Department of ENT, Luton and Dunstable Hospital, Luton, UK
J Laryngol Otol 120:334-7. 2006....
- Dexmedetomidine infusion for analgesia and prevention of emergence agitation in children with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome undergoing tonsillectomy and adenoidectomyAnuradha Patel
Associate Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Medical Science, Newark, NJ 07101, USA
Anesth Analg 111:1004-10. 2010..We compared an intraoperative dexmedetomidine infusion with bolus fentanyl to reduce perioperative opioid use and decrease emergence agitation in children with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome undergoing adenotonsillectomy (T&A)...
- Planning adenotonsillectomy in children with obstructive sleep apnea: the role of overnight oximetryGillian M Nixon
Department of Pediatrics, McGill University and Montreal Children s Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pediatrics 113:e19-25. 2004..The objective of this study was to develop and validate a severity scoring system for overnight oximetry and to evaluate the score as a tool to prioritize the T&A surgical list...
- Tonsillotomy or tonsillectomy?--a prospective study comparing histological and immunological findings in recurrent tonsillitis and tonsillar hyperplasiaOliver Reichel
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, University Hospital Grosshadern, Marchioninistr 15, 81377, Munich, Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:277-84. 2007..Sixty-four children with recurrent tonsillitis underwent traditional (total) blunt dissection tonsillectomy between October 2003 and July 2004...
- Clinical practice guideline: tonsillectomy in childrenReginald F Baugh
Department of Surgery, University of Toledo Medical Center, Toledo, Ohio, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 144:S1-30. 2011b>Tonsillectomy is one of the most common surgical procedures in the United States, with more than 530,000 procedures performed annually in children younger than 15 years...
- Bipolar scissors versus cold dissection tonsillectomy: a prospective, randomized, multi-unit studyV Raut
Department of Otolaryngology, Belfast City Hospital, UK
Laryngoscope 111:2178-82. 2001To evaluate bipolar scissors tonsillectomy by comparing it with traditional cold dissection tonsillectomy.
- A double-blinded randomized controlled trial of coblation versus conventional dissection tonsillectomy on post-operative symptomsC M Philpott
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Leicester Royal Infirmary, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester, UK
Clin Otolaryngol 30:143-8. 2005The aim of this study was to compare postoperative symptoms following coblation tonsillectomy with those experienced following a traditional cold dissection.
- A comparison of oral clonidine and oral midazolam as preanesthetic medications in the pediatric tonsillectomy patientL Fazi
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Anesth Analg 92:56-61. 2001..5 mg/kg) on the preanesthetic sedation and postoperative recovery profile in children during tonsillectomy with or without adenoidectomy...
- Transoral robotic surgery: radical tonsillectomyGregory S Weinstein
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:1220-6. 2007To describe and show the feasibility of a new surgical technique for transoral robotic surgery (TORS) radical tonsillectomy.
- Tonsillectomy and adenotonsillectomy for recurrent throat infection in moderately affected childrenJack L Paradise
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 2583, USA
Pediatrics 110:7-15. 2002..in each of the 2 preceding years, or 3 or more such episodes in each of the 3 preceding years), we found tonsillectomy efficacious in reducing the number and severity of subsequent episodes of throat infection for at least 2 ..
- Electroacupuncture prophylaxis of postoperative nausea and vomiting following pediatric tonsillectomy with or without adenoidectomyLynn M Rusy
Department of Pediatric Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Anesthesiology 96:300-5. 2002..The authors studied the effect of electrical P6 acupuncture in awake pediatric patients who had undergone surgery associated with a high incidence of PONV...
- Day-case tonsillectomy for children in Glasgow: the impact of changing indications and deprivationW A Clement
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
J Laryngol Otol 127:392-8. 2013To determine the number of children undergoing tonsillectomy that could have this performed as a day surgery procedure.
- Mortality and major morbidity after tonsillectomy: etiologic factors and strategies for preventionJulie L Goldman
Division of Otolaryngology, Department of Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky
Laryngoscope 123:2544-53. 2013To report data on death or permanent disability after tonsillectomy.
- More codeine fatalities after tonsillectomy in North American childrenLauren E Kelly
Schulich School of Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Pediatrics 129:e1343-7. 2012..These cases demonstrate that analgesia with codeine or other opioids that use the CYP2D6 pathway after adenotonsillectomy may not be safe in young children with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome...
- Lingual tonsillectomy: a review of 5 years experience and evolution of surgical techniqueMichael Barakate
The University of New South Wales, Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, The Prince of Wales Hospital Campus Sydney Children s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 139:222-7. 2008To assess the indications for lingual tonsillectomy; to report our experience with lingual tonsillectomy, and to present the evolution of our surgical technique.
- Outpatient tonsillectomy in children: demographic and geographic variation in the United States, 2006Emily F Boss
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Pediatr 160:814-9. 2012To examine geographic and demographic variation for outpatient tonsillectomy in children nationally.
- The role of adjuvant adenoidectomy and tonsillectomy in the outcome of the insertion of tympanostomy tubesP C Coyte
Department of Health Administration, and Home Care Evaluation and Research Centre, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 344:1188-95. 2001..We examined the effects of these adjuvant procedures on the rates of reinsertion of tympanostomy tubes and rehospitalization for conditions related to otitis media...
- General practitioners' versus consultants' perspective on indications for paediatric tonsillectomy: current trendsJ Manickavasagam
Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Doncaster Royal Infirmary, UK
J Laryngol Otol 126:163-7. 2012We undertook a study to ascertain what factors general practitioners consider important when referring children for tonsillectomy, and to compare these views with those of consultant ENT surgeons.
- Tonsillectomy vs. deep tonsil biopsies in detecting occult tonsil tumorsJoshua D Waltonen
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Laryngoscope 119:102-6. 2009To compare the yield of detecting occult tumors by performing tonsillectomy and deep tonsil biopsies in patients with metastatic carcinoma to the neck in whom a primary tumor was not evident on physical examination, radiography, or ..
- Acupressure-acupuncture antiemetic prophylaxis in children undergoing tonsillectomyZ Shenkman
Department of Anesthesia, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Anesthesiology 90:1311-6. 1999..The authors studied whether a combined approach using preoperative acupressure and intra- and postoperative acupuncture can prevent emesis following tonsillectomy in children.
- Sleep-disordered breathing in children: survey of current practiceRon B Mitchell
Department of Otolaryngology, VA Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA
Laryngoscope 116:956-8. 2006..The purpose of this study was to examine surgical practice patterns among members of the American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngologists (ASPO)...
- Pediatric tonsillectomy: clinical practice guidelinesE Lescanne
Service d ORL et de chirurgie cervicofacial, CHRU, Tours, France
Eur Ann Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Dis 129:264-71. 2012This article presents the Clinical Practice Guidelines for Pediatric Tonsillectomy of the French Society of ENT and Head and Neck Surgery (SFORL), entitled "Amygdalectomie de l'enfant : Recommandation pour la pratique clinique" (SFORL, ..
- Taste damage (otitis media, tonsillectomy and head and neck cancer), oral sensations and BMILinda M Bartoshuk
University of Florida, 4073 SW 21st Terrace, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
Physiol Behav 107:516-26. 2012Otitis media and tonsillectomy are associated with enhanced palatability of energy dense foods and with weight gain...
- Adenotonsillar surgery in morbidly obese children: routine elective admission of all patients to the intensive care unit is unnecessaryN P Shine
Department of Paediatric Otolaryngology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 34:724-30. 2006..Special consideration should be given to the postoperative nursing environment for those patients with a SaO2 nadir < 70% noted preoperatively, indicating the presence of a significant central disease component...
- Peritonsillar abscess: the rationale for interval tonsillectomyV V Raut
Department of Otolaryngology, Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust, U K
Ear Nose Throat J 79:206-9. 2000..The survey of 571 practicing ENT surgeons revealed that 83% advise interval tonsillectomy only for patients who have a history of tonsillitis; they prefer to take a wait-and-see approach for a single ..
- A multicenter prospective cohort study of tonsillectomy and steroid therapy in Japanese patients with IgA nephropathy: a 5-year reportMariko Miyazaki
Department of Nephrology, Sendai Shakaihoken Hospital, Sendai, Japan
Contrib Nephrol 157:94-8. 2007b>Tonsillectomy combined with corticosteroids has been performed for IgA nephropathy (IgAN) mainly in Japan...
- Effect of an intravenous single dose of ketamine on postoperative pain in tonsillectomy patientsMario José da Conceição
Blumenau University Foundation, Joana de Gusmao Children Hospital, Anesthesia Teaching and Training Center of Celso Ramos, Hospital, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Paediatr Anaesth 16:962-7. 2006b>Tonsillectomy has a high incidence of postoperative pain...
- Can postoperative pains following tonsillectomy be relieved by honey? A prospective, randomized, placebo controlled preliminary studySamet Ozlugedik
First Otorhinolaryngology Clinic, Numune Education and Research Hospital, Sihhiye, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:1929-34. 2006To compare the effectiveness of acetaminophen versus acetaminophen-plus-honey following pediatric tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy.
- Readability and content of postoperative tonsillectomy instructions given to patients in ScotlandW A Clement
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Victoria Hospital, Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 29:149-52. 2004..Thirty-two wards were identified. A copy of each ward's postoperative tonsillectomy discharge information sheet was obtained, if available. Twenty-six information sheets were obtained...
- Tonsillectomy technique as a risk factor for postoperative haemorrhageD Lowe
Lancet 364:697-702. 2004b>Tonsillectomy is one of the most frequent surgical procedures...
- Subcutaneous emphysema and pneumomediastinum complicating tonsillectomyAlexander E Stewart
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, Calif, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:1324-7. 2004Subcutaneous emphysema and pneumomediastinum are very rare complications of tonsillectomy.
- Subcutaneous emphysema and mediastinitis: unusual complications of tonsillectomyC Gillot
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, CHU Liege
B-ENT 1:197-200. 2005Subcutaneous emphysema and mediastinitis are rarely reported complications of tonsillectomy.
- Tonsillotomy in children with tonsillar hypertrophyO Densert
City Clinic, Halmstad, Sweden
Acta Otolaryngol 121:854-8. 2001b>Tonsillectomy is one of the most frequent surgical procedures carried out on children...
- Comparison of morphine and tramadol by patient-controlled analgesia for postoperative analgesia after tonsillectomy in childrenMehmet Ozalevli
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Cukurova University, Adana, Turkey
Paediatr Anaesth 15:979-84. 2005..This prospective, randomized, double-blind study was designed to compare the analgesic efficacy of patient-controlled tramadol with patient-controlled morphine for postoperative pain after tonsillectomy in children.
- Airway management in a bleeding adult following tonsillectomy: a case reportManjit Singh Brar
Oakland University Beaumont Graduate Program of Nurse Anesthesia, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
AANA J 77:428-30. 2009A 37-year-old morbidly obese man with a history of obstructive sleep apnea underwent elective tonsillectomy. The patient was successfully intubated with an 8.0-mm regular cuffed endotracheal tube...
- Perioperative acupuncture and postoperative acupressure can prevent postoperative vomiting following paediatric tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy: a pragmatic randomised controlled trialIngrid Liodden
Lovisenberg Diakonale Hospital, Lovisenberggata 17, Oslo, Norway
Acupunct Med 29:9-15. 2011To investigate the effectiveness of acupuncture and acupressure as supplements to standard treatment for postoperative vomiting in children undergoing tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy.
- Exploring the variation in paediatric tonsillectomy rates between English regions: a 5-year NHS and independent sector data analysisM Suleman
Department of Otolaryngology, Oxford Radcliffe NHS Trust John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Clin Otolaryngol 35:111-7. 2010b>Tonsillectomy rates vary between locations and socio-economic groups and have been noted to do so since the 1930s...
- Pediatric obstructive sleep apnea: the year in reviewR Mark Ray
Pediatric Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Arkansas Children s Hospital, 800 Marshall Street, Little Rock, AR 72202, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 13:360-5. 2005..This review examines the effects of obstructive sleep apnea in children as well as treatment outcomes. Recent data suggest that some diagnostic modalities may underestimate the prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in children...
- A randomised controlled trial to compare postoperative pain in children undergoing tonsillectomy using cold steel dissection with bipolar haemostasis versus coblation techniqueD Parker
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, Derby, UK
Clin Otolaryngol 34:225-31. 2009To measure postoperative pain levels in children undergoing tonsillectomy, by two different techniques, cold steel dissection and coblator dissection...
- Can mucosal sealing reduce tonsillectomy pain?Erkhan Genç
V K V American Hospital ENT Clinic, Nisantasi, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:725-30. 2006The hypothesis tests whether sealing the tonsillectomy field with posterior pillar mucosa can prevent unwanted outcomes in pediatric tonsillectomy.
- Autonomic nervous system state: the effect of general anaesthesia and bilateral tonsillectomy after unilateral infiltration of lidocaineM P J Paloheimo
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Eye ENT Hospital, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Haartmanstreet 4, PO Box 220, FI 00029 HUS Helsinki, Finland
Br J Anaesth 104:587-95. 2010....
- Acetaminophen analgesia in children: placebo effect and pain resolution after tonsillectomyB J Anderson
Department of Anaesthesia, Auckland Children s Hospital, Zealand
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 57:559-69. 2001..Pharmacodynamic models of acetaminophen analgesia in children have not explored the efficacy of single oral doses greater than 40 mg/kg...
- Tonsillectomy by means of plasma-mediated ablation: prospective, randomized, blinded comparison with monopolar electrosurgeryUdayan K Shah
Division of Otolarynology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia and Department of Otolaryngology Head and neck Surgery, The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4399, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:672-6. 2002To compare plasma-mediated ablation (PMA) with monopolar electrosurgery (MES) for pediatric tonsillectomy.
- Systematic review on analgesics given for pain following tonsillectomy in childrenKatri Hamunen
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Pain 117:40-50. 2005In this systematic review effectiveness of analgesics for pain after tonsillectomy in children was evaluated and trial methodology of the included studies explored...
- The preventative analgesic effect of preincisional peritonsillar infiltration of two low doses of ketamine for postoperative pain relief in children following adenotonsillectomy. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyAzim Honarmand
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Paediatr Anaesth 18:508-14. 2008....
- Tramadol for pain relief in children undergoing tonsillectomy: a comparison with morphineThomas Engelhardt
Royal Aberdeen Children s Hospital, Aberdeen, UK
Paediatr Anaesth 13:249-52. 2003Pain control for paediatric patients undergoing tonsillectomy remains problematic...
- Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs and the risk of operative site bleeding after tonsillectomy: a quantitative systematic reviewSteen Møiniche
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Herlev University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Anesth Analg 96:68-77, table of contents. 2003The use of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for analgesia after tonsillectomy is controversial because NSAIDS, through platelet inhibition, may increase the risk of perioperative bleeding...
- Ketamine in post-tonsillectomy painOmer Lütfi Erhan
Firat University Medical Faculty, Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, 23119 Elazig, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 71:735-9. 2007..Preoperative intramuscular administration of ketamine for sedation decreases the pain during swallowing after tonsillectomy, while it provides long-term analgesia when applied around the incision...
- Ketamine reduces swallowing-evoked pain after paediatric tonsillectomyM Elhakim
Department of Anaesthesia, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 47:604-9. 2003..The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of ketamine on spontaneous and swallowing-evoked pain after tonsillectomy.
- Paediatric coblation tonsillectomyR H Temple
Department of Otolaryngology, Blackburn Royal Infirmary, Blackburn, Lancashire BB2 3LR, UK
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 61:195-8. 2001b>Tonsillectomy has been described using a number of techniques. Recently Coblation Technology has been used to remove tonsils with anecdotal evidence of a reduction in post-operative morbidity...
- Childhood tonsillectomy: who is referred and what treatment choices are made? Baseline findings from the North of England and Scotland Study of Tonsillectomy and Adenotonsillectomy in Children (NESSTAC)Catherine Lock
Institute of Health and Society, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Arch Dis Child 95:203-8. 2010Tonsillectomies are frequently performed, yet variations exist in tonsillectomy rates. Clinicians use guidelines, but complex psychosocial influences on childhood tonsillectomy include anecdotal evidence of parental enthusiasm...
- Benefits and efficacy of tonsillectomy for recurrent tonsillitis in adultsAlvin Pon Poh Hsu
Division of Otolaryngology, Changi General Hospital, Singapore
Acta Otolaryngol 127:62-4. 2007b>Tonsillectomy is an effective procedure that provides medical and social benefits for adult patients with recurrent tonsillitis.
- Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty with tonsillectomy in the treatment of severe OSASS Gallina
Dipartimento Neuroscienze Cliniche, U O Otorinolaringoiatria, Universith degli Studi di Palermo, Italia
B-ENT 5:245-50. 2009To establish the efficacy of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty with tonsillectomy for treating selected patients with severe obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.
- Analgesia for adenotonsillectomy in children: a comparison of morphine, ketamine and tramadolTümay Umuroğlu
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Medical Faculty of Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
Paediatr Anaesth 14:568-73. 2004..The aim of this study was to compare the effects of ketamine, morphine and tramadol on postoperative pain after adenotonsillectomy in children...
- Subhypnotic propofol infusion plus dexamethasone is more effective than dexamethasone alone for the prevention of vomiting in children after tonsillectomyAli Fuat Erdem
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Medical Faculty, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Paediatr Anaesth 18:878-83. 2008Postoperative vomiting (POV) is a common complication after tonsillectomy. Dexamethasone is known to decrease postsurgical vomiting...
- Factors associated with post-tonsillectomy hemorrhageP J Collison
Medical Clinic and Avera Sacred Heart Hospital, Yankton, SD 57078, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 79:640-2, 644, 646 passim. 2000..diligent efforts to prevent it, hemorrhage is the most common, albeit sporadic, significant complication of tonsillectomy. For this retrospective study of post-tonsillectomy hemorrhage rates, we examined the charts of 430 ..
- Myositis in Behcet's disease after tonsillectomyUri Abadi
Department of Medicine C, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 8:294-5. 2006
- Combination of diclofenac plus B vitamins in acute pain after tonsillectomy: a pilot studyEusebio Pérez-Flores
Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Calzada de Tlalpan 4502, Col Seccion XVI, Del Tlalpan, Mexico City C P 14080
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 46:88-90. 2003
- Pediatric tonsillotomy with radiofrequency technique: long-term follow-upElisabeth Ericsson
Division of Otorhinolaryngology, Department of Neuroscience and Locomotion, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Linkoping, Linkoping, Sweden
Laryngoscope 116:1851-7. 2006Compare the effects of partial tonsil resection using a radiofrequency technique, tonsillotomy (TT), with total tonsillectomy (TE, blunt dissection) after 1 and 3 years...
- Perioperative steroids in tonsillectomy using electrocautery and sharp dissection techniquesMatthew M Hanasono
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:917-21. 2004..To determine the effect of preoperative dexamethasone sodium phosphate administration on posttonsillectomy morbidity for electrocautery ("hot") and sharp ("cold") dissection techniques...
- Comparison of peritonsillar levobupivacaine and bupivacaine infiltration for post-tonsillectomy pain relief in children: placebo-controlled clinical studyFikret Kasapoglu
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Uludag University, Nilufer, 16059 Bursa, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 75:322-6. 2011To compare the effects of preincisional peritonsillar infiltration of levobupivacaine and bupivacaine on post-tonsillectomy pain in children.
- The use of dexamethasone to reduce pain after tonsillectomy in adults: a double-blind prospective randomized trialMarianne Lachance
ENT Department, Le Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Laval University, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Laryngoscope 118:232-6. 2008To determine the effectiveness of dexamethasone to reduce pain after tonsillectomy in adults by at least 13 mm on the visual analogue scale. The secondary objective was to reduce the use of narcotics by at least 20%.
- Comparison of peritonsillar infiltration effects of ketamine and tramadol on post tonsillectomy pain: a double-blinded randomized placebo-controlled clinical trialVida Ayatollahi
Department of Anesthesiology, Shahid Sadoughi Hospital, Bou ali BLVD, 8916886938 Yazd, Iran
Croat Med J 53:155-61. 2012To assess the effect of peritonsillar infiltration of ketamine and tramadol on post tonsillectomy pain and compare the side effects.
- Electrosurgery for tonsillectomyBruce R Maddern
Wolfson Children s Hospital and the University of Florida, Jacksonville, Florida 32207, USA
Laryngoscope 112:11-3. 2002To describe the electrophysical principles, techniques, and morbidity associated with electrosurgical tonsillectomy.
- Preoperative intravenous dexamethasone combined with glossopharyngeal nerve block: role in pediatric postoperative analgesia following tonsillectomySherif K Mohamed
ENT Department, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 266:1815-9. 2009b>Tonsillectomy is one of the most frequently performed ambulatory surgical procedures in children (Litman et al. in Anesth Analg 78:478-481, 1994). Several techniques have been described for alleviation of pain (Ginstrom et al...
- Paediatric tonsillectomy: radiofrequency-based plasma dissection compared to cold dissection with suturesL Di Rienzo Businco
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, S Eugenio Hospital, Rome, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 28:67-72. 2008Aim of this study was to compare post-operative recovery over 14 days in children submitted to tonsillectomy using a bipolar radiofrequency-based plasma device (Coblation, Evac 70, ArthroCare Corp, Sunnyvale, CA, USA) to cold dissection...
- Post-tonsillectomy hemorrhage: cold versus hot dissectionMichael S W Lee
Department of Otolaryngology, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, United Kingdom
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 131:833-6. 2004....
- Tonsillectomy: haemorrhaging ideasL McClelland
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
J Laryngol Otol 119:753-8. 2005Tonsil surgery has been described for over 3000 years. Haemorrhage following tonsillectomy remains the most serious complication of surgery...
- Tonsillectomy or tonsillotomy?--A randomized study comparing postoperative pain and long-term effectsE Hultcrantz
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, ENT Clinic, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 51:171-6. 1999b>tonsillectomy (TE) is currently the most common treatment for children with snoring and sleep apnea. Many of these children have not had any severe throat infections...
- Effect of adenoidectomy and/or tonsillectomy on cardiac functions in children with obstructive sleep apneaMehmet Birol Ugur
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, School of Medicine, Zonguldak Karaelmas University, Zonguldak, Turkey
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 70:202-8. 2008We aimed to determine the effects of adenoidectomy and/or tonsillectomy (AT) on cardiac functions in children with adenoid and/or tonsillary hypertrophy and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) by using echocardiography with tissue ..
- Post-tonsillectomy bleeding: a meta-analysisP Krishna
Division of Otolaryngology, Department of Surgery, Southern Illinois University, 301 N. 8th St, Springfield, IL 62794-9662
Laryngoscope 111:1358-61. 2001..conflicting reports and opinions of the value of preoperative coagulation studies for patients undergoing tonsillectomy. STUDY DESIGN: Meta-analysis: Articles were identified by MEDLINE search, references from review articles, ..
- Cardiovascular Disease (C/V) in Children with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)Raouf Amin; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sleep Disordered Breathing and Growth in Children: A Longitudinal Cohort StudyKaren Bonuck; Fiscal Year: 2009..Adenotonsillar hypertrophy is the primary factor leading to SDB in children. Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy (T&A) is curative in 80% of cases...
- Neuroanatomical and functional outcomes of pediatric obstructive sleep apneaRobert Joseph Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2012..from healthy age, body mass index, gender, and Tanner stage matched controls, pre and 6-months post treatment (tonsillectomy or positive airway pressure)...
- OTITIS MEDIA RESEARCH CENTERCharles Bluestone; Fiscal Year: 1990..will require further treatment/observation before final outcome is known, and adenoidectomy with and without tonsillectomy (T&A) will require more subjects enrolled and treated/observed to determine outcomes...
- Dynamic Computational Modeling of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Down SyndromeSALLY RICHARDS SHOTT; Fiscal Year: 2013..There are variable surgical success rates for both first line surgery [palatine tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy (T&A)] as well as secondary surgeries performed if and when T&A fails...
- RISK FACTORS FOR YOUNG ADULT HODGKIN'S DISEASE IN TWINSWendy Cozen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Additional hypotheses will include the effects of earlier puberty, tonsillectomy, and infectious mononucleosis...
- EFFECTS OF TONSIL-ADENOID SURGERY ON THROAT INFECTIONJACK PARADISE; Fiscal Year: 1990This study is designed to test the efficacy of tonsillectomy, and of tonsillectomy with adenoidectomy (T&A), in reducing the occurrence of episodes of throat infection in children with previous throat-infection experiences that ..
- Oral HIV Pathogenesis and SheddingRobert Coombs; Fiscal Year: 2005..0 log10 increase in plasma VL was associated with a 0.4 log10 increase in pharyngeal VL (P<0.001), and tonsillectomy was associated with a 0.6 log10 reduction in pharyngeal VL (P = 0.007), but HAART was not (P > 0.1)...
- Portable, In-Home Assessment of Pediatric Sleep ApneaDANIEL LEVENDOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2006..of pediatric OSA is also required to identify children at risk for postoperative complications following tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy, the most common treatment for childhood OSA...
- MICRO-FOUNDATIONS OF MACRO-VARIATIONS IN MEDICAL XCARECharles Phelps; Fiscal Year: 1992..g., tonsillectomy, back surgery). This study seeks to understand why these variations exist and persist, i.e...
- HOME CARE MANAGEMENT OF PEDIATRIC PAINKIMBERLY SUTTERS; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION: The pediatric surgery outpatient population has grown extensively in recent years. Tonsillectomy, one of the most prevalent ambulatory surgeries in children, has been associated with a substantial degree of postoperative ..
- DIAGNOSIS OF PEDIATRIC OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEANira Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 1999..Children with a positive NPSG will undergo tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy...
- A PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF LYMPHOID TISSUES IN NEOPLASIAIRVING KESSLER; Fiscal Year: 1980A prospective epidemiological study on subsequent cancer risk, by site, among cohorts of individuals undergoing tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy and/or appendectomy between 1925 and 1936 is continuing...
- Cognitive Impairment Influences Gait in AgingBruno Giordani; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- EARLY OTITIS AND LITERACY AND ATTENTION AT 9 TO 11 YEARSJACK PARADISE; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Ottis Media and ObesityLinda Bartoshuk; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NEUROMUSCULAR CONTROL OF THE PHARYNGEAL AIRWAYRALPH FREGOSI; Fiscal Year: 2002..These experiments will lay the foundation for new and improved treatment strategies for persons with obstructive sleep apnea or with other conditions that are caused by malfunction of the tongue motor system. ..
- FACILITATION OF EPILEPTIC ACTIVITY BY SLEEP AND AROUSALBeth Malow; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Effects of Treating Obstructive Sleep Apnea in EpilepsyBeth Malow; Fiscal Year: 2004..Develop quality control measures to ensure accurate and consistent data collection among sites in the RCT, including aspects related to remote data entry and standardization of performance and interpretation of PSG studies across sites...
- PREDOCTORAL TRAINING PROGRAM IN NEUROSCIENCERALPH FREGOSI; Fiscal Year: 2008..Facilities for research training include the extensive equipment and expertise in individual faculty laboratories, as well as comprehensive shared resources at the University of Arizona. ..
- P20-Mediated Suppression of Vascular ForceChristopher Rembold; Fiscal Year: 2004..Many current treatments target smooth muscle to reduce tone. It is possible that targeting the force suppression pathway (i.e. p20) might provide comparable benefits. ..
- Melatonin for Sleep in Children with Autism: Safety, Tolerability, and DosingBeth Malow; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will determine the response of melatonin dose on sleep latency using polysomnography and actigraphy, a validated and non-intrusive measure of sleep onset and duration. Adverse events will also be captured. ..
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF CHILDHOOD OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEACAROLE MARCUS; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will help elucidate the pathophysiology of OSAS in obese adolescents, ultimately resulting in improved management of this disease. ..
- TASTE PSYCHOPHYSICSLinda Bartoshuk; Fiscal Year: 2008..In sum, we are now equipped to uncover the full range of oral sensory variation and its effects on diet and health. ..
- Middle Ear Epithelial Response to Cytokine StimulationJoseph Kerschner; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Increasing physical activity of sedentary youthJAMES ROEMMICH; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will yield important information on new ways to increase the physical activity of children. ..
- Noninvasive Ventilation in Children with Cystic FibrosisCAROLE MARCUS; Fiscal Year: 2004..In keeping with the mission of the RFA, this study will use a multidisciplinary approach to improve management and enhance the quality of life in children with chronic respiratory failure. ..
- Increasing youth physical activity: neighborhood environmen influencesJAMES ROEMMICH; Fiscal Year: 2009..We hypothesize that there will be a main effect of reduction in access to sedentary behaviors on energy and fat intake and percent overweight. ..
- NO-CGMP INHIBITION OF UROGENITAL SMOOTH MUSCLEChristopher Rembold; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Vascular Functions in Children with Sleep Disorder BreathingRaouf S Amin; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- REM SLEEP DEPRIVATION, HYPOXIA, AND HIPPOCAMPAL FUNCTIONDavid Gozal; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Postnatal Brain Susceptibility to Intermittent HypoxiaDavid Gozal; Fiscal Year: 2006....