Genomes and Genes
Summary: Excision of the adenoids. (Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications253 found, 100 shown here
- The effects of dexmedetomidine and fentanyl on emergence characteristics after adenoidectomy in childrenF Erdil
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Inonu University, School of Medicine, Malatya, Turkey
Anaesth Intensive Care 37:571-6. 2009..study evaluated the effects of fentanyl and dexmedetomidine on emergence characteristics of children having adenoidectomy and anaesthetised with sevoflurane...
- Adenoidectomy for middle ear effusion: a study of 50,000 children over 24 yearsAbdul Latif Kadhim
Department of Paediatric Otolaryngology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Perth, Western Australia
Laryngoscope 117:427-33. 2007To compare the incidence and outcomes of myringotomy plus ventilation tube insertion (MVTI) alone and that concurrent with pharyngeal surgery (adenoidectomy, adenotonsillectomy, or tonsillectomy) at a population level.
- International perspectives on management of acute otitis media: a qualitative reviewAnne G M Schilder
Department of Otorhinolaryngology KE 04 140 5, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Utrecht, P O Box 85090, 3508 AB, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 68:29-36. 2004..With antibiotic resistance rising and more evidence regarding the limited clinical efficacy of antibiotics becoming available, interest in managing AOM other than with antibiotics is renewed...
- Dexmedetomidine infusion for analgesia and prevention of emergence agitation in children with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome undergoing tonsillectomy and adenoidectomyAnuradha Patel
Associate Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Medical Science, Newark, NJ 07101, USA
Anesth Analg 111:1004-10. 2010..We compared an intraoperative dexmedetomidine infusion with bolus fentanyl to reduce perioperative opioid use and decrease emergence agitation in children with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome undergoing adenotonsillectomy (T&A)...
- How do children with adenoid hypertrophy smell and taste? Clinical assessment of olfactory function pre- and post-adenoidectomyIordanis Konstantinidis
ENT Department, Hippokratio General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:1343-9. 2005To assess the ability to smell and appreciate food in children with adenoid hypertrophy pre and post-adenoidectomy.
- Planning adenotonsillectomy in children with obstructive sleep apnea: the role of overnight oximetryGillian M Nixon
Department of Pediatrics, McGill University and Montreal Children s Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pediatrics 113:e19-25. 2004..The objective of this study was to develop and validate a severity scoring system for overnight oximetry and to evaluate the score as a tool to prioritize the T&A surgical list...
- Tonsillectomy and adenotonsillectomy for recurrent throat infection in moderately affected childrenJack L Paradise
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 2583, USA
Pediatrics 110:7-15. 2002..severely affected than those in our earlier trials but who nonetheless had indications for tonsillectomy comparable to those in general use, and 2) whether, in such children, the addition of adenoidectomy would confer additional benefit.
- Electroacupuncture prophylaxis of postoperative nausea and vomiting following pediatric tonsillectomy with or without adenoidectomyLynn M Rusy
Department of Pediatric Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Anesthesiology 96:300-5. 2002..The authors studied the effect of electrical P6 acupuncture in awake pediatric patients who had undergone surgery associated with a high incidence of PONV...
- An anesthetic management protocol to decrease respiratory complications after adenotonsillectomy in children with severe sleep apneaSreekrishna Raghavendran
Department of Anesthesia, Montreal Children s Hospital, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, QC H3H 1P3, Canada
Anesth Analg 110:1093-101. 2010....
- Adenotonsillar surgery in morbidly obese children: routine elective admission of all patients to the intensive care unit is unnecessaryN P Shine
Department of Paediatric Otolaryngology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 34:724-30. 2006..Special consideration should be given to the postoperative nursing environment for those patients with a SaO2 nadir < 70% noted preoperatively, indicating the presence of a significant central disease component...
- The role of adjuvant adenoidectomy and tonsillectomy in the outcome of the insertion of tympanostomy tubesP C Coyte
Department of Health Administration, and Home Care Evaluation and Research Centre, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 344:1188-95. 2001..There is debate about the usefulness of concomitant adenoidectomy or adenotonsillectomy...
- Improved somatic growth following adenoidectomy and tonsillectomy in young children. Possible pathogenetic mechanismsHarilaos S Vontetsianos
ENT Department, First Paediatric Department, Athens University, Children s Hospital, Agia Sophia Athens, Greece
Hormones (Athens) 4:49-54. 2005..All other metabolic indices did not change. In conclusion, linear grow post-Adenotonsillectomy improved in children aged <5 years and was associated with improved with IGF-1/GH ratio, increased Hbeta values and decreased in WBC...
- Sleep-disordered breathing in children: survey of current practiceRon B Mitchell
Department of Otolaryngology, VA Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA
Laryngoscope 116:956-8. 2006..The purpose of this study was to examine surgical practice patterns among members of the American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngologists (ASPO)...
- Coblation adenotonsillectomy: an improvement over electrocautery technique?Robert S Glade
Division of Otolaryngology, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:852-5. 2006..To compare postoperative complication rates of coblation and electrocautery adenotonsillectomies...
- Adenoidectomy as an adjuvant to primary tympanostomy tube placement: a systematic review and meta-analysisSamantha J Mikals
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland
JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 140:95-101. 2014b>Adenoidectomy at initial tympanostomy tube placement (TT) may reduce the rate of repeated surgery for otitis media.
- Cine magnetic resonance imaging: evaluation of persistent airway obstruction after tonsil and adenoidectomy in children with Down syndromeSally R Shott
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Cincinnati Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, 3333 Burnet Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, U S A
Laryngoscope 114:1724-9. 2004..The cine magnetic resonance image (MRI) is useful in evaluating the upper airway in those patients who have not achieved a normal polysomnogram after T&A surgery...
- Adenoidectomy and adenotonsillectomy for recurrent acute otitis media: parallel randomized clinical trials in children not previously treated with tympanostomy tubesJ L Paradise
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15213 3417, USA
JAMA 282:945-53. 1999b>Adenoidectomy and adenotonsillectomy are commonly performed in US children to reduce the occurrence of persistent or recurrent otitis media, but evidence supporting the efficacy of the operations is limited.
- Tympanostomy with and without adenoidectomy for the prevention of recurrences of acute otitis media: a randomized controlled trialTiia Kujala
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Pediatr Infect Dis J 31:565-9. 2012..We evaluated the efficacy of insertion of tympanostomy tubes with and without adenoidectomy for preventing recurrent acute otitis media (AOM) in young children.
- Perioperative acupuncture and postoperative acupressure can prevent postoperative vomiting following paediatric tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy: a pragmatic randomised controlled trialIngrid Liodden
Lovisenberg Diakonale Hospital, Lovisenberggata 17, Oslo, Norway
Acupunct Med 29:9-15. 2011To investigate the effectiveness of acupuncture and acupressure as supplements to standard treatment for postoperative vomiting in children undergoing tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy.
- Polysomnographic variables predictive of adverse respiratory events after pediatric adenotonsillectomyEric M Jaryszak
Children s National Medical Center, George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:15-8. 2011..To determine polysomnographic (PSG) variables that may potentially predict adverse respiratory events after pediatric adenotonsillectomy...
- Clinical practice guideline: Polysomnography for sleep-disordered breathing prior to tonsillectomy in childrenPeter S Roland
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 145:S1-15. 2011..aged 2 to 18 years, with sleep-disordered breathing and are candidates for tonsillectomy, with or without adenoidectomy. Polysomnography is the electrographic recording of simultaneous physiologic variables during sleep and is ..
- The relationship between repeat tympanostomy tube insertion and adenoidectomyDavid M Gleinser
University of Texas Medical Branch Department of Otolaryngology, Galveston, TX, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 75:1247-51. 2011To examine the relationship between adenoidectomy and repeat tympanostomy tube placement in the treatment of otitis media, and the relationship between potential risk factors for otitis media and repeat tympanostomy tube placement.
- Pediatric adenoidectomy: a population-based regional study on epidemiology and outcomeKonstanze Thomas
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Jena University Hospital, Germany
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 77:1716-20. 2013To evaluate population-based data on incidence of pediatric adenoidectomy and rate of revision surgery.
- Adenoidectomy does not significantly reduce the incidence of otitis media in conjunction with the insertion of tympanostomy tubes in children who are younger than 4 years: a randomized trialSari Hammarén-Malmi
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Pediatrics 116:185-9. 2005To evaluate the efficacy of adenoidectomy in reducing the incidence of otitis media among children who are younger than 4 years and receive tympanostomy tubes.
- Doppler echocardiography in adenotonsillar hypertrophyM C Miman
ENT Department, Turgut Ozal Medical Center, Inonu University, 44300, Malatya, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 54:21-6. 2000....
- A devastating outcome after adenoidectomy and tonsillectomy: ideas for improved prevention and managementJochen P Windfuhr
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, St Anna Krankenhaus, Duisburg, Germany
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 140:191-6. 2009To develop strategies that may assist the surgeon to prevent and manage severe bleeding complications after adenoidectomy and tonsillectomy.
- The hemostatic efficacy of Ankaferd Blood Stopper in adenoidectomyIsmail Iynen
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Harran University, Hospital, 63300 Sanliurfa, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 75:1292-5. 2011To evaluate the efficacy of Ankaferd Blood Stopper (ABS) in the control of intraoperative and postoperative bleeding in adenoidectomy.
- Preoperative and postoperative cardiac and clinical findings of patients with adenotonsillar hypertrophyK Gorur
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Mersin School of Medicine, Fatih mah Babil cad, Girne sitesi D blok No 1 1, Mezitli, 33170, Mersin, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 59:41-6. 2001..Our aim was to determine if there was any detectable clinical and cardiac changes in hypertrophied adenotonsillary disease with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome and to demonstrate the curative effect of adenotonsillectomy on these patients...
- Adenoidectomy with the coblator: a logical extension of radiofrequency tonsillectomyMichael S Timms
Department of Otolaryngology, Blackburn Royal Infirmary, Blackburn, UK
J Laryngol Otol 119:398-9. 2005..ablation of adenoid tissue using a coblator, comparing it with conventional and other newer methods of adenoidectomy. Its chief advantages are that it produces a bloodless field, precision of tissue removal and leads to less ..
- Endoscopic-assisted versus curettage adenoidectomy: a prospective, randomized, double-blind study with objective outcome measuresMurat Songu
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Izmir Ataturk Research and Training Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Laryngoscope 120:1895-9. 2010To establish whether there is both objectively and subjectively improved recovery in children receiving endoscopic-assisted adenoidectomy, compared with children receiving curettage adenoidectomy.
- Pediatric obstructive sleep apnea: the year in reviewR Mark Ray
Pediatric Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Arkansas Children s Hospital, 800 Marshall Street, Little Rock, AR 72202, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 13:360-5. 2005..This review examines the effects of obstructive sleep apnea in children as well as treatment outcomes. Recent data suggest that some diagnostic modalities may underestimate the prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in children...
- Association of allergy, asthma and IgE sensitisation to adenoidectomy and infections in childrenJari Suvilehto
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Helsinki University Hospital, Finland
Rhinology 45:286-91. 2007To find out whether previous adenoidectomy is associated with asthma, allergic symptoms or allergen-specific IgE antibodies...
- Altered speech following adenoidectomy: a 20 year experienceK J Stewart
Department of Plastic Surgery, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh, UK
Br J Plast Surg 55:469-73. 2002Altered speech related to velopharyngeal insufficiency is a rare but well-recognised complication of adenoidectomy. Over a 20 year period, 42 patients were referred to the Edinburgh cleft team for investigation of altered speech ..
- Effect of adenoidectomy in children with complex problems of rhinosinusitis and associated diseasesKitirat Ungkanont
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 68:447-51. 2004The effectiveness of adenoidectomy in the management of pediatric sinusitis is still a controversial issue. The size of the adenoid and associated diseases are the factors for consideration...
- Indications and outcomes of adenoidectomy in infancyAnat Shatz
Pediatric Airways Service, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 113:835-8. 2004Adenoid hypertrophy is one of the most common causes of pediatric obstructive sleep apnea. Although adenoidectomy is the only effective treatment for adenoid hypertrophy, it is rarely performed in infants less than 1 year old...
- [Endoscopic adenotomy--clinical assessment of value and safety--an own experience]Marek Krajewski
NZOZ Krajmed Centrum Nowoczesnej Laryngologii w Warszawie
Otolaryngol Pol 61:21-4. 2007..In authors opinion, the results obtained during study, definitely prove the superiority of endoscopic technique--it is worth of introducing into daily surgical practice...
- Paediatric obstructive sleep apnoea: is a polysomnogram always necessary?Kenny Peter Pang
Department of Otolaryngology, KK Women and Children s Hospital, Singapore
J Laryngol Otol 118:275-8. 2004..In view of our low complication rates, low post-operative morbidity, cost and facility factor, the need for a mandatory overnight PSG pre-operatively is questioned, and clinical criteria for performing a PSG preoperatively are suggested...
- Pathologic evaluation of routine tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy specimens in the pediatric population: is it really necessary?Taner K Erdag
Dokuz Eylul University School of Medicine, Department of Otolaryngology, Izmir, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:1321-5. 2005To evaluate the necessity of histopathologic examination for routine tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy in terms of unexpected malignancy by evaluating a large group of pediatric patients retrospectively with review of the literature.
- Polysomnography in children scheduled for adenotonsillectomyRobert A Weatherly
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 131:727-31. 2004..Parent responses on a validated Pediatric Sleep Questionnaire were used to determine which symptoms could help identify children with clinical diagnoses of SDB but normal PSG...
- Bacteremia during adenoidectomyErdogan Okur
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, School of Medicine, Kahramanmaras Sutcu Imam University, Yorukselim mah Hastane Cad No 32, 46050 Kahramanmaras, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 66:149-53. 2002Although adenoidectomy is one of the most commonly performed surgical procedures in children, there is no satisfactory information about the risk of bacteremia during adenoidectomy and necessity of antibiotic use...
- Chosen factors of T and B cell apoptosis in hypertrophic adenoid in children with otitis media with effusionBeata Zelazowska-Rutkowska
Department of Pediatric Laboratory Diagnostics, Medical University of Bialystok, Waszyngtona 17, 15 274 Białystok, Poland
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:698-700. 2010..adenoid, closely related to the functioning of the immune system, may have a role in qualifying children for adenoidectomy. Apoptosis is a major process maintaining balance between tonsillar lymphocytes...
- Adenoidectomy and nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae in young childrenPetri S Mattila
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Arch Dis Child 95:696-702. 2010The effect of adenoidectomy on nasopharyngeal colonisation of pathogens has not previously been evaluated...
- Alterations in the nasopharyngeal bacterial flora after adenoidectomy in children: a systematic reviewJohanna W M Aarts
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 142:15-20.e1. 2010To review the current literature on alterations in the nasopharyngeal bacterial flora in relation to adenoidectomy in children with recurrent upper respiratory tract infections (rURTIs).
- Rigid endoscopic evaluation of conventional curettage adenoidectomyD Regmi
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, B P Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
J Laryngol Otol 125:53-8. 2011To evaluate the results of conventional adenoidectomy, using rigid endoscopy of the nasopharynx, and to establish the role of such evaluation in facilitating complete adenoid removal via the curettage technique.
- Molecular typing of paired bacterial isolates from the adenoid and lateral wall of the nose in children undergoing adenoidectomy: implications in acute rhinosinusitisJ M Bernstein
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo, NY, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 125:593-7. 2001..The purpose of this study was to compare the molecular biological profiles of potential pathogens found in the nasopharynx and lateral wall of the nose concomittantly in children undergoing surgery for upper respiratory tract disease...
- Assessment of the consensus about tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy among pediatricians and otolaryngologistsA Faramarzi
Department of Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery, Medical School, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:133-6. 2010Several recent publications have shown that the current indications for tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy (T&A) in children vary considerably between and even within countries...
- Negative pressure pulmonary oedema following adenoidectomy under general anaesthesia: a case seriesB O Bolaji
Department of Anaesthesia, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 30:121-4. 2011..It is a complication of poorly treated or unrecognized laryngospasm occurring at extubation or later in the postoperative period...
- Analyzing factors associated with major complications after adenotonsillectomy in 4776 patients: comparing three tonsillectomy techniquesThomas Q Gallagher
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 142:886-92. 2010....
- Effect of adenoidectomy and/or tonsillectomy on cardiac functions in children with obstructive sleep apneaMehmet Birol Ugur
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, School of Medicine, Zonguldak Karaelmas University, Zonguldak, Turkey
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 70:202-8. 2008We aimed to determine the effects of adenoidectomy and/or tonsillectomy (AT) on cardiac functions in children with adenoid and/or tonsillary hypertrophy and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) by using echocardiography with tissue ..
- Analgesic efficacy of tramadol 2 mg kg(-1) for paediatric day-case adenoidectomyH Viitanen
Department of Surgery and Anaesthesia, , Finland
Br J Anaesth 86:572-5. 2001We studied the analgesic efficacy of tramadol 2 mg kg(-1) for post-operative analgesia after day-case adenoidectomy in children aged 1-3 yr. Eighty children were allocated randomly to receive tramadol 2 mg kg(-1) i.v...
- Failures of adenoidectomy for chronic rhinosinusitis in children: for whom and when do they fail?Hassan H Ramadan
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 9200, USA
Laryngoscope 117:1080-3. 2007To determine which children who are treated with adenoidectomy for chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS) will ultimately undergo endoscopic sinus surgery (ESS) and the length of time between adenoidectomy and ESS.
- Outcome of adenoidectomy versus adenoidectomy with maxillary sinus wash for chronic rhinosinusitis in childrenHassan H Ramadan
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 9200, USA
Laryngoscope 118:871-3. 2008To compare postoperative outcomes of adenoidectomy versus adenoidectomy with maxillary sinus wash as surgical treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS) in children.
- The efficacy of a subhypnotic dose of propofol in preventing laryngospasm following tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy in childrenYatindra Kumar Batra
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Al Sabah Hospital, Kuwait
Paediatr Anaesth 15:1094-7. 2005..Propofol is known to inhibit airway reflexes. In this study, we sought to assess whether the empiric use of a subhypnotic dose of propofol prior to emergence will decrease the occurrence of laryngospasm following extubation in children...
- Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomyJoseph Gigante
Division of General Pediatrics, Vanderbilt Children s Hospital, Nashville, Tenn, USA
Pediatr Rev 26:199-202; quiz 203. 2005
- The incidence of laryngospasm with a "no touch" extubation technique after tonsillectomy and adenoidectomyBan C H Tsui
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Alberta Hospitals, Edmonton, Canada
Anesth Analg 98:327-9, table of contents. 2004..defined awake tracheal extubation technique in 20 children undergoing elective tonsillectomy with or without adenoidectomy. This technique required patients to be turned to the recovery position at the end of the procedure before ..
- Power-assisted partial adenoidectomyKimsey Rodriguez
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, Louisiana 70121, USA
Laryngoscope 112:26-8. 2002To describe partial adenoidectomy using a powered microdebrider and review the experience with the procedure.
- Outcome of adenotonsillectomy for obstructive sleep apnea in children under 3 yearsRon B Mitchell
Department of Surgery, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:681-4. 2005..To study the outcome of adenotonsillectomy for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) in children less than 3 years of age...
- [Risk of hemorrhage after adenoidectomy and tonsillectomy. Value of the preoperative determination of partial thromboplastin time, prothrombin time and platelet count]K Scheckenbach
Klinik fur Hals, Nasen, Ohren Krankheiten, Medizinische Einrichtungen der Heinrich Heine Universität Düsseldorf, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Deutschland
HNO 56:312-20. 2008Hemorrhage after tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy remains a serious complication...
- Otitis media surgery: large variability between Finland and NorwayGunnhild Karevold
Faculty Division of Akershus University Hospital, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 71:1035-9. 2007..Bi-national comparison of surgical treatment for paediatric otitis media...
- Velopharyngeal insufficiency following adenoidectomyN C Saunders
Department of Otolaryngology, Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 29:686-8. 2004Velopharyngeal insufficiency (VPI) is a well recognized but rare complication of adenoidectomy. Twenty children with this condition were seen and assessed at Great Ormond Street Hospital between 1993 and 2000...
- Indications for tonsillectomy and adenoidectomyDavid H Darrow
Departments of Otolaryngology and Pediatrics, Eastern Virginia Medical School, and the Department of Otolaryngology, Children s Hospital of the King s Daughters, Norfolk, Virginia 23507, USA
Laryngoscope 112:6-10. 2002..To review recent clinical trials that provide a foundation on which clinicians can base decisions regarding adenotonsillar surgery for their patients...
- [Acoustic rhinometry evaluation of adenoid hypertrophy and adenoidectomy efficacy]Małgorzata Piszcz
Klinika Otolaryngologii Dzieciecej AM w Białymstoku
Otolaryngol Pol 62:300-4. 2008..However, the method is difficult to performed in some young patient because of their invasiveness. Acoustic assessment of nosopharyngs seems to be a new promising method...
- Retropharyngeal and mediastinal abscess following adenoidectomyDavid Tuerlinckx
Department of Pediatrics, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Mont Godinne, Yvoir, Belgium
Pediatr Pulmonol 36:257-8. 2003b>Adenoidectomy is one of the most common surgical procedures in children. On rare occasions it can be complicated by a retropharyngeal abscess (RA)...
- Adenoidectomy versus chemoprophylaxis and placebo for recurrent acute otitis media in children aged under 2 years: randomised controlled trialPetri Koivunen
University of Oulu, PO Box 5000, FIN 90014, Finland
BMJ 328:487. 2004To evaluate the efficacy of adenoidectomy compared with long term chemoprophylaxis and placebo in the prevention of recurrent acute otitis media in children aged between 10 months and 2 years.
- Powered partial adenoidectomyNicole Murray
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Ochsner Clinic, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:792-6. 2002To confirm our clinical impression that the powered microdebrider is superior to curettes for performing partial adenoidectomy (removal of the superior one half to three fourths of the adenoid pad).
- Changes and consistencies in the epidemiology of pediatric adenotonsillar surgery, 1996-2006Neil Bhattacharyya
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 143:680-4. 2010..Determine changes in rates for pediatric adenotonsillar procedures over time with attention to infectious indications...
- Hemorrhage following tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy in 15,218 patientsJ P Windfuhr
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Plastic Head and Neck Surgery, St Anna Hospital, Duisburg, Germany
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:281-6. 2005To evaluate potential risk factors and the incidence of bleeding following adenoidectomy or tonsillectomy, with or without adenoidectomy requiring surgical treatment under general anesthesia.
- Current indications for adenoidectomy in a sample of children in the NetherlandsM T A van den Aardweg
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, Utrecht, The Netherlands
B-ENT 6:15-8. 2010To study current indications for adenoidectomy in Dutch children.
- Trends in otitis media surgery: a decrease in adenoidectomyJohanna Haapkylä
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, PL 220, 00029 HUS, Finland
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 72:1207-13. 2008..Objective is to compare trends in paediatric adenoidectomies and tympanostomy tube insertions for Norway and Finland from 1999 to 2005...
- Adenotonsillectomy improves neurocognitive function in children with obstructive sleep apnea syndromeBat chen Friedman
Department of Pediatrics B, Faculty of Health Sciences, Sleep Wake Disorders Unit, Soroka University Medical Center, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Sleep 26:999-1005. 2003..To evaluate neurocognitive functions of children with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS), before and after adenotonsillectomy, compared with healthy controls...
- Adeno-tonsillar surgery in ItalyG Motta
Otorhinolaryngology Unit, Cesena, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 28:1-6. 2008..Surgical interventions (adeno-tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, tonsillectomy) on 26915 children (age range: 2-11 years) were considered...
- Socio-economic status and surgery in children: myringotomies and tonsillectomies in Ontario, Canada, 1996-2000R Croxford
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acta Paediatr 93:1245-50. 2004..To examine the relation between socio-economic status and (1) receipt of paediatric otolaryngological surgery, and (2) inclusion of adjuvant procedures...
- Changes in serum IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 levels and growth in children following adenoidectomy, tonsillectomy or adenotonsillectomyMuzaffer Kiris
ENT Department, Ankara Ataturk Research and Education Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:528-31. 2010The aim of this study is to determine the effect of adenoidectomy, tonsillectomy or adenotonsillectomy on growth...
- The effect of tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy on inattention and impulsivity as measured by the Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA) in children with obstructive sleep apnea syndromeGalit Avior
Department of Otolarygology Head and Neck Surgery, Dana Children s Hospital, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 131:367-71. 2004..attention deficit disorder (ADD) using an objective test of inattention and impulsivity: Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA) and then to determine whether tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy (T+A) results in an improvement in TOVA scores.
- Changes in behavior and attentional capacity after adenotonsillectomyBarbara C Galland
Department of Women s and Children s Health, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Pediatr Res 59:711-6. 2006....
- Endoscopic-guided adenoidectomy using a classic adenoid curette: a simple way to improve adenoidectomyY M Wan
ENT Department, Yan Chai Hospital, Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 11:42-4. 2005..Nasal endoscopy allows easy assessment of the size of the adenoids and improves the accuracy of the adenoidectomy. This technique is particularly useful for paediatric patients who have small oral cavities...
- Prospective, randomized, controlled clinical trial of a novel matrix hemostatic sealant in children undergoing adenoidectomyRonald A Mathiasen
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Oakland, CA 94611, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 131:601-5. 2004..This study is a prospective, randomized, controlled clinical trial of Floseal sealant compared to traditional suction cautery hemostasis in children undergoing adenoidectomy.
- Neuropsychological and behavioral functioning in children with and without obstructive sleep apnea referred for tonsillectomyBruno Giordani
Neuropsychology Section, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105 0716, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 14:571-81. 2008..These results underscore the importance of applying more sophisticated methodologies to better understand the salient pathophysiology of childhood sleep-disordered breathing...
- Large international differences in (adeno)tonsillectomy ratesE H Van Den Akker
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 29:161-4. 2004..There is no definitive evidence that decreasing rates of T +/- Ads in childhood are associated with tonsil-related disease, necessitating surgery, in later life...
- Endoscopic adenoidectomy in children with submucosal cleft palateYoram Stern
Department of Otolaryngology, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, Petah Tiqva 49202, Israel
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:1871-4. 2006To determine the safety and effectiveness of endoscopic partial adenoidectomy for the treatment of nasal obstruction in children with submucosal cleft palate.
- Cognition, sleep and respiration in at-risk children treated for obstructive sleep apnoeaH E Montgomery-Downs
Division of Pediatric Sleep Medicine, Dept of Pediatrics, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
Eur Respir J 25:336-42. 2005..The purpose of this study was to examine the impact of tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy (T&A) on sleep, respiration and cognitive function in children of pre-school age with obstructive sleep ..
- Finnish adenoidectomy and tympanostomy rates in children; national variationJohanna Haapkylä
Helsinki University Central Hospital, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, PL 220 00290 Helsinki, Finland
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:1569-73. 2006To assess upper respiratory surgery rates in Finnish children and compare the rates of adenoidectomy and tympanostomy tubes in 2002 with the 1987 cohort.
- Updated systematic review of tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy for treatment of pediatric obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndromeMichael Friedman
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 140:800-8. 2009Perform an updated systematic review and meta-analysis to determine the cure rate of tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy (T&A) for pediatric obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome (OSAHS).
- Paediatric otitis media surgery in NorwayGunnhild Karevold
Faculty Division of Akershus University Hospital, University of Oslo, Norway
Acta Otolaryngol 127:29-33. 2007..In Norway there are large, regional differences in the incidence of surgery and combinations of surgery for otitis media...
- Endoscopic partial adenoidectomy for children with submucous cleft palateYehuda Finkelstein
Palate Surgery Unit of the Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Meir Hospital, Sapir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 39:479-86. 2002..palate who suffer from chronic nasal obstruction because of hypertrophic adenoids usually are not subjected to adenoidectomy because of the fear of postoperative velopharyngeal insufficiency...
- Comparison of remifentanil versus ketamine for paediatric day case adenoidectomyP Tarkkila
ENT Hospital, Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 54:217-22. 2003..Ketamine with its' longer duration of action does not prolong recovery but does not have a clear opioid-sparing effect either in the immediate postoperative period...
- [Epidemiology of tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy in Italy]E Materia
Agenzia di Sanità Pubblica, Regione Lazio, Roma
Pediatr Med Chir 26:179-86. 2004..was to describe frequency, causes, regional variations, setting and risk of mortality of tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy in Italy...
- Intranasal steroids and oral leukotriene modifier therapy in residual sleep-disordered breathing after tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy in childrenLeila Kheirandish
Kosair Children s Hospital Research Institute, Division of Pediatric Sleep Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Pediatrics 117:e61-6. 2006Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy (T&A) is the primary therapeutic approach for sleep-disordered breathing (SDB) in children. However, residual mild SDB will be found in more than one third of these patients after T&A...
- Vomiting and recovery after outpatient tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy in children. Comparison of four anesthetic techniques using nitrous oxide with halothane or propofolS A Ved
Department of Anesthesia, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, D C 20007 2197, USA
Anesthesiology 85:4-10. 1996..to compare prospectively four different anesthetic induction and maintenance techniques using nitrous oxide with halothane and/or propofol for vomiting and recovery after outpatient tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy procedures in children.
- Six-month follow-up of children with obstructive sleep apnoeaJ M Harvey
Developmental Clinic, Mater Children s Hospital, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 35:136-9. 1999..This study examined prospectively changes in development, temperament and sleep related behaviour in children referred for obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) and polysomnographic sleep study, some of whom had surgical intervention...
- Power-assisted adenoidectomy: total and partial resectionPeter J Koltai
Section of Pediatric Otolaryngology, The Childrens Hospital at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Laryngoscope 112:29-31. 2002To describe the surgical technique for power-assisted adenoidectomy and review the safety and effectiveness of the procedure.
- Impact of adenotonsillectomy on behavior in children with sleep-disordered breathingHsueh Yu Li
Department of Otolaryngology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, and Department of Nursing, Chang Gung Institute of Technology, Taoyuan, Taipei, Taiwan
Laryngoscope 116:1142-7. 2006..The aim of this study was to measure the impact of adenotonsillectomy on sleep-related adverse events and behavioral problems in children with sleep-disordered breathing...
- Sleep-disordered breathing may spur behavioral, learning problems in childrenLynne Lamberg
JAMA 297:2681-3. 2007
- Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy in children with sleep-related breathing disorders: consensus statement of a UK multidisciplinary working partyP J Robb
British Association for Paediatric Otorhinolaryngology BAPO on behalf of ENT UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 91:371-3. 2009..concern about children with a clinical diagnosis of OSA having routine tonsillectomy, with or without adenoidectomy. As BAPO President, I was asked by the ENT-UK President, Professor Richard Ramsden, to investigate the issues ..
- Behavior, cognition, and quality of life after adenotonsillectomy for pediatric sleep-disordered breathing: summary of the literatureSusan L Garetz
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 138:S19-26. 2008....
- Analgesic efficacy of rectal acetaminophen and ibuprofen alone or in combination for paediatric day-case adenoidectomyH Viitanen
Department of Anaesthesia, Central Hospital of Seinajoki, Seinajoki, Finland
Br J Anaesth 91:363-7. 2003..We investigated if combining rectal acetaminophen with ibuprofen would provide better postoperative analgesia compared with either drug alone after adenoidectomy in children.
- The use of magnesium to prevent laryngospasm after tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy: a preliminary studyNurcin Gulhas
Department of Anaesthesia, Inonu University School of Medicine, Turkey
Paediatr Anaesth 13:43-7. 2003..It also has calcium antagonist properties, which provide muscle relaxation. In this study, we aimed to determine the effect of magnesium on preventing laryngospasm...
- An analysis of factors influencing postanesthesia recovery after pediatric ambulatory tonsillectomy and adenoidectomyAlice A Edler
Department of Anesthesia, Lucile Packard Children s Hospital, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Anesth Analg 104:784-9. 2007..Many factors contribute to prolonged length of stay (LOS) for pediatric patients in the postanesthesia care unit (PACU). We designed this prospective study to identify the pre- and postoperative factors that prolong LOS...
- The effectiveness of tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy in the treatment of pediatric obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome: a meta-analysisScott E Brietzke
Department of Otolaryngology, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC 20307, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:979-84. 2006..Present and evaluate the currently available literature reporting on the effectiveness of adenotonsillectomy (T/A) in treating obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome (OSAHS) in uncomplicated pediatric patients...
- Sleep-disordered breathing, behavior, and cognition in children before and after adenotonsillectomyRonald D Chervin
Sleep Disorders Center, Department of Neurology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Pediatrics 117:e769-78. 2006....
- EARLY OTITIS AND LITERACY AND ATTENTION AT 9 TO 11 YEARSJACK PARADISE; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Effects of Treating Obstructive Sleep Apnea in EpilepsyBeth Malow; Fiscal Year: 2004..Develop quality control measures to ensure accurate and consistent data collection among sites in the RCT, including aspects related to remote data entry and standardization of performance and interpretation of PSG studies across sites...
- Melatonin for Sleep in Children with Autism: Safety, Tolerability, and DosingBeth Malow; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will determine the response of melatonin dose on sleep latency using polysomnography and actigraphy, a validated and non-intrusive measure of sleep onset and duration. Adverse events will also be captured. ..
- Sleep Disordered Breathing and Growth in Children: A Longitudinal Cohort StudyKaren Bonuck; Fiscal Year: 2009..Adenotonsillar hypertrophy is the primary factor leading to SDB in children. Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy (T&A) is curative in 80% of cases...
- OTITIS MEDIA RESEARCH CENTERCharles Bluestone; Fiscal Year: 1990..OM (antimicrobials or M&T) will require further treatment/observation before final outcome is known, and adenoidectomy with and without tonsillectomy (T&A) will require more subjects enrolled and treated/observed to determine ..
- Dynamic Computational Modeling of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Down SyndromeSALLY RICHARDS SHOTT; Fiscal Year: 2013..There are variable surgical success rates for both first line surgery [palatine tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy (T&A)] as well as secondary surgeries performed if and when T&A fails...
- ADENOIDECTOMY FOR OTITIS MEDIA IN 2/3 YEAR OLD CHILDRENMargaretha Casselbrant; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION: Efficacy of adenoidectomy for the treatment and prevention of otitis media with effusion has been shown for children four years and older...
- EFFECTS OF TONSIL-ADENOID SURGERY ON THROAT INFECTIONJACK PARADISE; Fiscal Year: 1990This study is designed to test the efficacy of tonsillectomy, and of tonsillectomy with adenoidectomy (T&A), in reducing the occurrence of episodes of throat infection in children with previous throat-infection experiences that ..
- Portable, In-Home Assessment of Pediatric Sleep ApneaDANIEL LEVENDOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2006..OSA is also required to identify children at risk for postoperative complications following tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy, the most common treatment for childhood OSA...
- DIAGNOSIS OF PEDIATRIC OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEANira Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 1999..Children with a positive NPSG will undergo tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. Children with negative NPSG will be randomized to undergo tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy or no surgery...
- A PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF LYMPHOID TISSUES IN NEOPLASIAIRVING KESSLER; Fiscal Year: 1980..study on subsequent cancer risk, by site, among cohorts of individuals undergoing tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy and/or appendectomy between 1925 and 1936 is continuing...
- Pneumococcal Biofilms in Otitis MediaJames Post; Fiscal Year: 2007..Delineating the molecular basis of biofilms will not only advance our understanding of OM, but of chronic infectious disease in general. ..
- PREDOCTORAL TRAINING PROGRAM IN NEUROSCIENCERALPH FREGOSI; Fiscal Year: 2008..Facilities for research training include the extensive equipment and expertise in individual faculty laboratories, as well as comprehensive shared resources at the University of Arizona. ..
- Middle Ear Epithelial Response to Cytokine StimulationJoseph Kerschner; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF CHILDHOOD OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEACAROLE MARCUS; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will help elucidate the pathophysiology of OSAS in obese adolescents, ultimately resulting in improved management of this disease. ..
- Noninvasive Ventilation in Children with Cystic FibrosisCAROLE MARCUS; Fiscal Year: 2004..In keeping with the mission of the RFA, this study will use a multidisciplinary approach to improve management and enhance the quality of life in children with chronic respiratory failure. ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF A SYNDROME WITH HEARING IMPAIRMENTJ Post; Fiscal Year: 2004..The delineation of the panoply of genes involved in causing craniosynostosis will enhance our understanding of these diseases and suggest new therapeutic strategies. ..
- P20-Mediated Suppression of Vascular ForceChristopher Rembold; Fiscal Year: 2004..Many current treatments target smooth muscle to reduce tone. It is possible that targeting the force suppression pathway (i.e. p20) might provide comparable benefits. ..
- NEUROMUSCULAR CONTROL OF THE PHARYNGEAL AIRWAYRALPH FREGOSI; Fiscal Year: 2002..These experiments will lay the foundation for new and improved treatment strategies for persons with obstructive sleep apnea or with other conditions that are caused by malfunction of the tongue motor system. ..
- Increasing youth physical activity: neighborhood environmen influencesJAMES ROEMMICH; Fiscal Year: 2009..We hypothesize that there will be a main effect of reduction in access to sedentary behaviors on energy and fat intake and percent overweight. ..
- Vascular Functions in Children with Sleep Disorder BreathingRaouf S Amin; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- FACILITATION OF EPILEPTIC ACTIVITY BY SLEEP AND AROUSALBeth Malow; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- REM SLEEP DEPRIVATION, HYPOXIA, AND HIPPOCAMPAL FUNCTIONDavid Gozal; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- NO-CGMP INHIBITION OF UROGENITAL SMOOTH MUSCLEChristopher Rembold; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Cardiovascular Disease (C/V) in Children with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)Raouf Amin; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cognitive Impairment Influences Gait in AgingBruno Giordani; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Increasing physical activity of sedentary youthJAMES ROEMMICH; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will yield important information on new ways to increase the physical activity of children. ..
- Postnatal Brain Susceptibility to Intermittent HypoxiaDavid Gozal; Fiscal Year: 2006....