Summary: A procedure for removal of the crystalline lens in cataract surgery in which an anterior capsulectomy is performed by means of a needle inserted through a small incision at the temporal limbus, allowing the lens contents to fall through the dilated pupil into the anterior chamber where they are broken up by the use of ultrasound and aspirated out of the eye through the incision. The small incision allows the surgeon to use very few or even no stitches to close the tiny wound. There is usually no need for hospitalization and patients may resume most activities within days. (Cline, et al., Dictionary of Visual Science, 4th ed & In Focus 1993;1(1):1)
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications340 found, 100 shown here
- Ultrasound biomicroscopic study of anterior segment changes after phacoemulsification and foldable intraocular lens implantationFrederico A S Pereira
Department of Ophthalmology, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Ophthalmology 110:1799-806. 2003To report quantitative changes in the anterior segment configuration after clear corneal incision phacoemulsification and foldable intraocular lens (IOL) implantation by means of ultrasound biomicroscopy (UBM).
- Calculation of intraocular lens power: a reviewThomas Olsen
University Eye Clinic, Aarhus Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 85:472-85. 2007....
- Intraocular pressure reduction after phacoemulsification with intraocular lens implantation in glaucomatous and nonglaucomatous eyes: evaluation of a causal relationship between the natural lens and open-angle glaucomaBrooks J Poley
Volunteers in Medicine, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29910, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:1946-55. 2009To study the long-term effects of phacoemulsification with intraocular lens (IOL) implantation in nonglaucomatous and glaucomatous eyes.
- Prevalence of optical coherence tomography-diagnosed postoperative cystoid macular oedema in patients following uncomplicated phaco-emulsification cataract surgeryMeri Vukicevic
Department of Clinical Vision Sciences, School of Allied Health, La Trobe University Eye Surgery Associates, Melbourne, VIC 3086, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 40:282-7. 2012....
- Three and five year changes in intraocular pressures after clear corneal phacoemulsification in open angle glaucoma patients, glaucoma suspects, and normal patientsBradford J Shingleton
Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston, Center for Eye Research and Education, Boston, MA, USA
J Glaucoma 15:494-8. 2006..evaluates the change in intraocular pressure (IOP) and glaucoma medication requirements after clear corneal phacoemulsification in open angle glaucoma patients, glaucoma suspects, and normal patients at 3 years and last follow-up (mean ..
- The effect of cataract extraction on intraocular pressureAnurag Shrivastava
Department of Ophthalmology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York, USA
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 21:118-22. 2010..To review the current ophthalmic literature regarding the impact of modern cataract surgery on intraocular pressure (IOP)...
- Long-term effects of phacoemulsification with intraocular lens implantation in normotensive and ocular hypertensive eyesBrooks J Poley
Volunteers in Medicine, Hilton Head, South Carolina, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:735-42. 2008To evaluate the long-term effect of phacoemulsification with intraocular lens (IOL) implantation alone in normotensive and ocular hypertensive eyes.
- Serious complications of local anaesthesia for cataract surgery: a 1 year national survey in the United KingdomTom Eke
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Trust, Colney Lane, Norwich NR4 7UY, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 91:470-5. 2007..The techniques of sub-Tenon's, topical and topical-intracameral local anaesthesia (LA) have become common in routine practice...
- Sutureless combined 25-gauge vitrectomy, phacoemulsification, and posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation for management of uveitic cataract associated with posterior segment diseaseMasoud Soheilian
Ophthalmology Department and Ophthalmic Research Center, Labbafinejad Medical Center, Shaheed Beheshti Medical University, Tehran, Iran
Retina 28:941-6. 2008..To report visual outcomes and complication rates associated with one-stage surgery for the management of uveitic cataract associated with posterior segment disease...
- Phacovitrectomy without prone posture for full thickness macular holesP R Simcock
West of England Eye Unit, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital Wonford, Barrack Road, Exeter EX2 5DW, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 85:1316-9. 2001..To investigate the role of phacovitrectomy surgery without prone posture for stage 2 and 3 macular holes...
- Filtering bleb function after clear cornea phacoemulsification: a prospective studyJ Klink
University Eye Hospital, Josef Schneider Strasse 11, Wuerzburg 97080, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 89:597-601. 2005To evaluate the influence of clear cornea phacoemulsification on filtering bleb morphology, function, and intraocular pressure (IOP) in glaucomatous eyes with previously successful filtering surgery.
- ESCRS study of prophylaxis of postoperative endophthalmitis after cataract surgery: Preliminary report of principal results from a European multicenter studyPeter Barry
European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:407-10. 2006..To report results in the European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS) multicenter study of the prophylaxis of endophthalmitis after cataract surgery...
- Phacoemulsification with intraocular lens implantation in cases of pars planitisSudha K Ganesh
Medical and Vision Research Foundations, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:2072-6. 2004To analyze the results of phacoemulsification cataract surgery with implantation of posterior chamber intraocular lenses (IOLs) of different biomaterials in eyes with pars planitis.
- Thermal comparison of Infiniti OZil and Signature Ellips phacoemulsification systemsJoseph S Schmutz
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, John A Moran Eye Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 149:762-7.e1. 2010..To determine thermal characteristics of Signature Ellips (Abbott Medical Optics) and Infiniti OZil (Alcon, Inc.) transverse ultrasound and compare both with longitudinal ultrasound in clinically relevant scenarios...
- Phacoemulsification in eyes with functioning filtering blebs: a prospective studyGema Rebolleda
Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Ophthalmology Department, Glaucoma Unit, Madrid, Spain
Ophthalmology 109:2248-55. 2002To evaluate the effect of phacoemulsification on intraocular pressure (IOP) control in eyes with a previous functioning filtering bleb and no glaucoma medication.
- Antioxidant protection against corneal damage by free radicals during phacoemulsificationAlexander Rubowitz
Department of Ophthalmology, Meir Hospital, Sapir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:1866-70. 2003To examine the role of ascorbic acid in reducing corneal endothelial cell loss secondary to high-energy ultrasound energy during phacoemulsification surgery.
- Melatonin provides anxiolysis, enhances analgesia, decreases intraocular pressure, and promotes better operating conditions during cataract surgery under topical anesthesiaSalah A Ismail
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, King Fahd University, Saudi Arabia
Anesth Analg 108:1146-51. 2009..In this study, we assessed the effects of melatonin premedication on pain, anxiety, intraocular pressure (IOP), and operative conditions during cataract surgery under topical analgesia...
- Factors associated with intraoperative floppy iris syndromeKristiana D Neff
Department of Ophthalmology, Storm Eye Institute, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Ophthalmology 116:658-63. 2009To identify factors associated with intraoperative floppy iris syndrome (IFIS) in patients undergoing routine phacoemulsification.
- Combined phacoemulsification and sutureless 23-gauge pars plana vitrectomy for complex vitreoretinal diseasesRobert A Sisk
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 900 NW 17th St, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 94:1028-32. 2010To evaluate the safety and visual outcomes of combined phacoemulsification and sutureless 23-gauge vitrectomy for concomitant cataract and vitreoretinal diseases.
- Phacoemulsification versus phacoemulsification with micro-bypass stent implantation in primary open-angle glaucoma: randomized double-masked clinical trialAntonio M Fea
Instituto di Fisiopatologia Clinica, Clinica Oculistica, Universita di Torino, via Juvarra 19, 10100 Torino, Italy
J Cataract Refract Surg 36:407-12. 2010To compare phacoemulsification alone and phacoemulsification with micro-bypass stent implantation in eyes with primary open-angle glaucoma.
- Heat production: Longitudinal versus torsional phacoemulsificationYoung Keun Han
Department of Ophthalmology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, and the Jules Stein Eye Institute, Los Angeles, California 90095 7002, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:1799-805. 2009To compare the heat production of longitudinal versus torsional phacoemulsification under strict laboratory test conditions.
- Effects of dexamethasone, diclofenac, or placebo on the inflammatory response after cataract surgeryC G Laurell
Karolinska Institute, St Erik s Eye Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Ophthalmol 86:1380-4. 2002To compare the inflammatory response after phacoemulsification and intraocular lens (IOL) implantation using postoperative treatment with dexamethasone, diclofenac, or placebo.
- Objective measurement of postocclusion surge during phacoemulsification in human eye-bank eyesDan Georgescu
Department of Ophthalmology, John A Moran Eye Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 143:437-40. 2007To objectively compare the postocclusion vacuum surge among different phacoemulsification machines and devices.
- Visual acuity and contrast sensitivity function after accommodative and multifocal intraocular lens implantationCem Mesci
Ophthalmology Department, Goztepe Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Ophthalmol 20:90-100. 2010..To evaluate visual acuities and contrast sensitivities (CS) after accommodative, refractive, and diffractive multifocal intraocular lens (IOL) implantations...
- Disruption of the posterior chamber-anterior hyaloid membrane barrier during phacoemulsification and aspiration as revealed by contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imagingShiro Kawasaki
Department of Ophthalmology, Ehime University Graduate School of Medicine, Shitsukawa, Toon City, Ehime 791 0295, Japan
Arch Ophthalmol 127:465-70. 2009To determine the effect of phacoemulsification and aspiration (PEA) in different surgical settings on the posterior chamber-anterior hyaloid membrane (AHM) barrier.
- Surgically induced astigmatism in combined phacoemulsification and vitrectomy; 23-gauge transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy versus 20-gauge standard vitrectomyDong Ho Park
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, 50 Samduk dong 2 ga, Chung gu, Taegu, South Korea
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 247:1331-7. 2009To study the surgically induced astigmatism (SIA) in combined phacoemulsification with 23-gauge transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy (TSV) versus combined phacoemulsification with 20-gauge standard vitrectomy.
- Visual outcome comparison of unilateral versus bilateral implantation of apodized diffractive multifocal intraocular lenses after cataract extraction: prospective 6-month studyRobert J Cionni
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:1033-9. 2009..To evaluate the visual outcomes and patient satisfaction after unilateral implantation or stepwise bilateral implantation of an apodized diftractive multifocal intraocular lens (IOL)...
- Effect of temporal corneal phacoemulsification on intraocular pressure in eyes with prior trabeculectomy with an antimetaboliteKala Swamynathan
Department of Ophthalmology, Indiana University, 702 Rotary Circle, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Ophthalmology 111:674-8. 2004To evaluate the effect of temporal corneal phacoemulsification on intraocular pressure (IOP) in eyes after primary trabeculectomy with intraoperative fluorouracil (5-FU) or mitomycin C (MMC).
- Endophthalmitis in the western Sydney region: a case-control studyS Lertsumitkul
Department of Ophthalmology, Liverpool Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 29:400-5. 2001..A retrospective case-control study was conducted to investigate risk factors for endophthalmitis following routine intraocular surgery...
- Prospective multicenter evaluation of cataract surgery in patients taking tamsulosin (Flomax)David F Chang
Altos Eye Physicians, Los Altos, California, USA
Ophthalmology 114:957-64. 2007....
- Early intraocular pressure and anterior chamber depth changes after phacoemulsification and intraocular lens implantation in nonglaucomatous eyes. Comparison of groups stratified by axial lengthYang Kyeung Cho
Catholic University of Korea, St Vincent s Hospital, Suwon, South Korea
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:1104-9. 2008To evaluate the changes in intraocular pressure (IOP) and anterior chamber depth (ACD) after phacoemulsification according to axial length (AL).
- Single perioperative subconjunctival steroid depot versus postoperative steroid eyedrops to prevent intraocular inflammation and macular edema after cataract surgeryMyrthe Dieleman
Rotterdam Ophthalmic Institute, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Cataract Refract Surg 37:1589-97. 2011To compare the efficacy of dexamethasone 0.1% eyedrops after phacoemulsification versus a single perioperative subconjunctival injection of betamethasone acetate 5.7 mg/mL to prevent anterior segment inflammation and macular edema.
- A fluidics comparison of Alcon Infiniti, Bausch & Lomb Stellaris, and Advanced Medical Optics Signature phacoemulsification machinesDan Georgescu
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, John A Moran Eye Center, University of Utah, 65 Medical Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 145:1014-1017. 2008To compare three phacoemulsification machines for measurement accuracy and postocclusion surge (POS) in human cadaver eyes.
- Effect of anterior capsule polishing on fibrotic capsule opacification: three-year resultsStefan Sacu
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of Vienna, Medical School, Vienna, Austria
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:2322-7. 2004..To evaluate the long-term effect of anterior capsule polishing on anterior capsule opacification (ACO) and peripheral fibrotic posterior capsule opacification (PCO)...
- Combined Descemet-stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty and phacoemulsification with toric intraocular lens implantation for treatment of failed penetrating keratoplasty with high regular astigmatismVincenzo Scorcia
Department of Ophthalmology, Magna Graecia University, Catanzaro, Italy
J Cataract Refract Surg 38:716-9. 2012..of a 57-year-old woman who had combined Descemet-stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) and phacoemulsification with implantation of a toric intraocular lens (IOL)...
- Changes in diabetic macular oedema after phacoemulsification surgeryK Hayashi
Hayashi Eye Hospital, Fukuoka, Japan
Eye (Lond) 23:389-96. 2009To quantitatively examine changes in macular oedema after phacoemulsification surgery in eyes with diabetic retinopathy (DR) and in eyes without DR.
- Changes in anterior chamber angle width and depth after intraocular lens implantation in eyes with glaucomaK Hayashi
Hayashi Eye Hospital, Fukuoka, Japan
Ophthalmology 107:698-703. 2000....
- Complication rates of phacoemulsification and manual small-incision cataract surgery at Aravind Eye HospitalAravind Haripriya
Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai, India
J Cataract Refract Surg 38:1360-9. 2012To analyze the rate of intraoperative complications, reoperations, and endophthalmitis with phacoemulsification, manual small-incision cataract surgery (SICS), and large-incision extracapsular cataract extraction (ECCE).
- Long-term intraocular pressure changes after combined phacoemulsification, intraocular lens implantation, and vitrectomyYuya Ki-I
Department of Ophthalmology, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima 890 8520, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 57:57-62. 2013To observe long-term changes in intraocular pressure (IOP) after a combined phacoemulsification, intraocular lens implantation, and vitrectomy procedure.
- Phacoemulsification and customized toric intraocular lens implantation in eyes with cataract and high astigmatism after penetrating keratoplastyUgo de Sanctis
Department of Clinical Physiopathology, Ophthalmology Institute, University of Turin, Italy
J Cataract Refract Surg 37:781-5. 2011b>Phacoemulsification and implantation of a hydrophilic acrylic toric intraocular lens (IOL) (T-flex 623T) with customized cylindrical power was performed in 1 eye in 3 consecutive patients with cataract and high postkeratoplasty ..
- Long-term intraocular pressure control after clear corneal phacoemulsification in glaucoma patientsNurit Mathalone
Department of Ophthalmology, Carmel Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:479-83. 2005To evaluate long-term IOP control after sutureless clear corneal phacoemulsification in eyes with preoperatively controlled glaucoma.
- Phacoemulsification versus manual small-incision cataract surgery for white cataractRengaraj Venkatesh
Aravind Eye Hospital, Pondicherry, India
J Cataract Refract Surg 36:1849-54. 2010To compare the safety and efficacy of phacoemulsification and manual small-incision cataract surgery (SICS) to treat white cataracts in southern India.
- Necrotizing nocardial scleritis after combined penetrating keratoplasty and phacoemulsification with intraocular lens implantation: a case report and review of the literatureJerome Charles Ramos-Esteban
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven Connecticut, USA
Arq Bras Oftalmol 70:355-9. 2007..scleritis in her left eye 23 months after an uncomplicated combined penetrating keratoplasty and phacoemulsification with intraocular lens implantation which progressed to slceral perforation with uveal prolapses...
- Randomized evaluation of the trabecular micro-bypass stent with phacoemulsification in patients with glaucoma and cataractThomas W Samuelson
Minnesota Eye Consultants, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Ophthalmology 118:459-67. 2011..To assess the safety and efficacy of the iStent trabecular micro-bypass stent (Glaukos Corporation, Laguna Hills, CA) in combination with cataract surgery in subjects with mild to moderate open-angle glaucoma...
- Anterior chamber depth, iridocorneal angle width, and intraocular pressure changes after uneventful phacoemulsification in eyes without glaucoma and with open iridocorneal anglesCigdem Altan
Beyoglu Eye Education and Research Hospital, Hukukcular sitesi, C 4 Blok No 18, 4 Levent 34331, Istanbul, Turkey
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:832-8. 2004To investigate the influence of uneventful phacoemulsification on anterior chamber depth (ACD), iridocorneal angle (ICA) width, and intraocular pressure (IOP) in nonglaucomatous eyes with open ICA preoperatively.
- Bacterial contamination in the anterior chamber after povidone-iodine application and the effect of the lens implantation deviceMária Bausz
Department of Ophthalmology, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:1691-5. 2006..To assess the incidence of anterior chamber bacterial contamination during cataract surgery, and compare results of injector implantation and forceps implantation of foldable intraocular lenses (IOLs)...
- Randomized comparison of the intraocular pressure-lowering effect of phacoviscocanalostomy and phacotrabeculectomyHiroshi Kobayashi
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, Saga University, Saga, Japan
Ophthalmology 114:909-14. 2007To compare the intraocular pressure (IOP)-lowering effect of combined viscocanalostomy and phacoemulsification and combined trabeculectomy and phacoemulsification with mitomycin C in eyes with primary open-angle glaucoma.
- Traumatic expulsive aniridia after phacoemulsificationAvinash Prabhu
Warrington Hospital, Cheshire, United Kingdom
Indian J Ophthalmol 55:232-3. 2007..Small, self-sealing incision cataract surgery is changing the pattern of presentation of such cases, with relatively favorable outcomes. We describe a case of blunt trauma following phacoemulsification leading to aniridia.
- Decreased incidence of capsule complications and vitreous loss during phacoemulsification in eyes with pseudoexfoliation syndromeRaymond J Nagashima
Department of Ophthalmology, Kaiser Permanente, Denver, CO 80231, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:127-31. 2004To report a series of patients with pseudoexfoliation syndrome who had phacoemulsification without an increased incidence of intraoperative complications or late intraocular lens (IOL) dislocation...
- Intraocular pressure changes after clear corneal phacoemulsification in nonglaucomatous pseudoexfoliation syndromeD J Cimetta
Eye Surgery Service, Casa di Cura Madre F Toniolo, Bologna, Italy
Eur J Ophthalmol 18:77-81. 2008To present a prospective, nonrandomized study of intraocular pressure (IOP) after clear corneal phacoemulsification in eyes with pseudoexfoliation (PEX) syndrome.
- Phacoemulsification in pseudoexfoliation syndromeArsen Akinci
Ulucanlar Eye Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Ophthalmologica 222:112-6. 2008..of intraoperative and early postoperative complications (IEPC), visual outcomes, and change in intraocular pressure (IOP) between eyes with and without pseudoexfoliation syndrome (PEX) having cataract extraction by phacoemulsification.
- Clinical outcome following cataract surgery in very elderly patientsP P Syam
Sussex Eye Hospital Brighton, UK
Eye (Lond) 18:59-62. 2004..The number of very elderly patients waiting for cataract surgery is predicted to increase. The aim of our study was to determine the clinical outcome following cataract surgery in this age group...
- Phacoemulsification in trabeculectomized eyesPia Ehrnrooth
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 83:561-6. 2005To evaluate retrospectively risk indicators for cataract surgery and the effect of phacoemulsification on intraocular pressure (IOP) control in eyes that have undergone trabeculectomy.
- Comparison of torsional and longitudinal modes using phacoemulsification parametersMarek Rekas
Department of Ophthalmology, Military Health Service Institute, Warsaw, Poland
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:1719-24. 2009To compare phacoemulsification parameters of torsional and longitudinal ultrasound modes.
- Phacoemulsification with intraocular lens implantation after trabeculectomyR Casson
Nuffield Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Oxford University, England
J Glaucoma 11:429-33. 2002To determine the effect of phacoemulsification with intraocular lens (IOL) implantation, using a superior clear-corneal incision, on the long-term intraocular pressure (IOP) control in patients who have undergone previous trabeculectomy.
- Visual experience during phacoemulsification under topical versus retrobulbar anesthesia: results of a prospective, randomized, controlled trialVenkatesh Rengaraj
Aravind Eye Hospitals, Madurai, India
Am J Ophthalmol 138:782-7. 2004To compare the subjective visual experience of cataract patients during phacoemulsification and intraocular lens implantation under topical anesthesia (TA) vs retrobulbar anesthesia (RA).
- Long-term effect of phacoemulsification on intraocular pressure after trabeculectomyAgnes Derbolav
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Cataract Refract Surg 28:425-30. 2002To evaluate the effect of temporal clear corneal phacoemulsification on intraocular pressure (IOP) in eyes that have had trabeculectomy.
- Phacoemulsification vs phacotrabeculectomy in chronic angle-closure glaucoma with cataract: complications [corrected]Clement C Y Tham
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Eye Hospital, 147K Argyle St, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
Arch Ophthalmol 128:303-11. 2010To compare the complications of phacoemulsification alone vs combined phacotrabeculectomy in chronic angle-closure glaucoma (CACG) with coexisting cataract.
- Combined 23-gauge, sutureless transconjunctival vitrectomy with phacoemulsification without face down posturing for the repair of idiopathic macular holesG Heath
Department of Ophthalmology, Calderdale NHS Foundation Trust, Salterhebble, West Yorkshire, UK
Eye (Lond) 24:214-20, quiz 221. 2010..To evaluate the anatomical success and impact on visual acuity of 23-gauge, sutureless, phacovitrectomy, and intraocular gas tamponade for idiopathic macular hole surgery without face down posturing...
- Combined surgery in the treatment of patients with cataract and primary open-angle glaucomaR J Casson
Oxford Eye Hospital, United Kingdom, Oxford, UK
J Cataract Refract Surg 27:1854-63. 2001..b>Phacoemulsification has improved the success rate and reduced the complication rate previously associated with extracapsular ..
- Phacoemulsification associated corneal damage evaluated by corneal volumeHisaharu Suzuki
Department of Ophthalmology, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 142:525-8. 2006To determine the usefulness of the Pentacam corneal volume assay in the assessment of corneal endothelial damage caused by phacoemulsification and aspiration (PEA).
- Vitrectomy-phacoemulsification-vitrectomy for the management of aqueous misdirection syndromes in phakic eyesAsh Sharma
Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, City Hospital, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Ophthalmology 113:1968-73. 2006To describe vitrectomy-phacoemulsification-vitrectomy, a sequential 3-step surgical approach, in the management of malignant glaucoma/aqueous misdirection syndromes in phakic eyes.
- New triple procedure: Descemet's stripping and automated endothelial keratoplasty combined with phacoemulsification and intraocular lens implantationDouglas J Covert
Eye Institute, Medical College of Wisconsin and Froedtert Hospital, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Ophthalmology 114:1272-7. 2007..and refractive outcome of Descemet's stripping and automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) combined with phacoemulsification and intraocular lens (IOL) implantation in patients with coexisting Fuchs' endothelial dystrophy and ..
- Subjective visual experience during phacoemulsification cataract surgery under sub-Tenon's blockN Prasad
Department of Ophthalmology, North Riding Infirmary, Newport Road, Middlesbrough TS4 3BW, UK
Eye (Lond) 17:407-9. 2003..survey, 121 patients received sub-Tenon's block and were interviewed on the same day after their phacoemulsification cataract surgery regarding their visual experience in the operated eye during surgery...
- Effect of intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide injection on central macular thickness in diabetic patients having phacoemulsificationHooshang Faghihi Ahmadabadi
Department of Ophthalmology, Eye Research Center, Farabi Eye Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Cataract Refract Surg 36:917-22. 2010To assess the effect of intraoperative intravitreal injection of triamcinolone acetonide on the central macular thickness, visual outcomes, and development of cystoid macular edema (CME) after phacoemulsification in diabetic patients.
- Single injection peribulbar anesthesia with a short needle combined with digital compressionWaleed Riad
Department of Anaesthesia, King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, P O Box 7191, Riyadh 11462, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Anesth Analg 107:1751-3. 2008..We compare the efficacy of using a 15 mm to the standard 25 mm needle for performing peribulbar blockade...
- Phacoemulsification and trabeculotomy combined with goniosynechialysis for uncontrollable chronic angle-closure glaucomaYoshiaki Kiuchi
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 41:348-54. 2010To assess and explore the effectiveness of phacoemulsification and trabeculotomy combined with goniosynechialysis in lowering intraocular pressure in eyes with uncontrollable chronic angle-closure glaucoma.
- Combined pars plana vitrectomy and phacoemulsification to restore visual acuity in patients with chronic uveitisSofia Androudi
Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Service, Department of Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114 3069, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:472-8. 2005To report the outcomes of combined phacoemulsification and pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) to restore visual acuity in patients with cataract and posterior segment involvement secondary to chronic uveitis.
- Combined occlusion-triggered longitudinal and torsional phacoemulsification during coaxial microincision cataract surgery: effect on 30-degree mini-flared tip behaviorGokulan Ratnarajan
Prince Charles Eye Unit, King Edward VII Hospital, Windsor, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 37:825-9. 2011....
- The efficacy and safety of combined phacoemulsification, intraocular lens implantation, and limited goniosynechialysis, followed by diode laser peripheral iridoplasty, in the treatment of cataract and chronic angle-closure glaucomaJ S Lai
Department of Ophthalmology, United Christian Hospital, Kowloon, Hong Kong
J Glaucoma 10:309-15. 2001To report the efficacy and safety of combined phacoemulsification, intraocular lens implantation, and limited goniosynechialysis, followed by diode laser peripheral iridoplasty, in the treatment of cataract and chronic angle-closure ..
- Phacoemulsification in anterior megalophthalmosGraham A Lee
Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:1081-4. 2006This case outlines the phacoemulsification technique used to overcome the challenge of the hyperdeep anterior chamber, weak zonules, abnormal anterior capsule, and large capsular bag...
- Subluxated lens: phacoemulsification with iris hooksSeverino Santoro
Ophthalmology Department, San Maria degli Angeli Hospital, Putignano, Bari, Italy
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:2269-73. 2003..nylon iris hooks placed on the capsulorhexis edge to support the lens and stabilize the capsular bag during phacoemulsification. The use of an endocapsular tension ring provides excellent centration of the capsular bag, enabling ..
- Prostaglandin E2 inhibition of ketorolac 0.45%, bromfenac 0.09%, and nepafenac 0.1% in patients undergoing phacoemulsificationFrank A Bucci
Bucci Laser Vision Institute, Wilkes Barre, PA 18702, USA
Adv Ther 28:1089-95. 2011..45%, bromfenac 0.09%, and nepafenac 0.1% at peak dosing levels in patients previously scheduled to undergo phacoemulsification.
- Intraoperative complications of phacoemulsification in eyes with and without pseudoexfoliationMichael Hyams
Department of Ophthalmology, Carmel Medical Centre, Haifa, Israel
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:1002-5. 2005To determine the intraoperative complications in a large series of phacoemulsification procedures, including patients with and without pseudoexfoliation, excluding those with marked phacodonesis or lens subluxation.
- Traumatic expulsive iridodialysis after small-incision sutureless cataract surgeryNathan J Walker
The Townsville Hospital, Townsville, Australia
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:2223-4. 2004b>Phacoemulsification with intraocular lens (IOL) implantation was performed in the right eye of an 84-year-old woman using a small clear corneal incision...
- Phacoemulsification cataract extraction and posterior chamber lens implantation in patients with uveitisM F Estafanous
Cole Eye Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 131:620-5. 2001PURPOSE: This study reports outcomes of phacoemulsification cataract extraction and posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation within the capsular bag in patients with uveitis...
- Efficacy of intraoperative vancomycin in irrigating solutions on aqueous contamination during phacoemulsificationRenuka Srinivasan
Department of Ophthalmology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry 605 006, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 56:399-402. 2008To study the efficacy of adding vancomycin in irrigating solutions, in comparison to topical antibiotic given preoperatively for a day, during phacoemulsification, in reducing the anterior chamber (AC) contamination.
- Traumatic total iridectomy after clear corneal cataract extractionMalik Y Kahook
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute, Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:1659-60. 2005..We present a case of traumatic aniridia post cataract extraction which illustrates the importance of wound dimensions and construction...
- Phacoemulsification following treatment of choroidal melanomaJ Wachtlin
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital Benjamin Franklin, Free University of Berlin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 238:942-8. 2000Little is known about the risks, effects and results of phacoemulsification following treatment with different modalities of choroidal melanoma.
- Intraocular pressure control after clear corneal phacoemulsification in eyes with previous trabeculectomy: a controlled studyAsli Inal
Beyoglu Eye Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 83:554-60. 2005To compare intraocular pressure (IOP) control in eyes with or without clear corneal phacoemulsification following trabeculectomy.
- Comparison of a bupivacaine 0.5% and lidocaine 2% mixture with levobupivacaine 0.75% and ropivacaine 1% in peribulbar anaesthesia for cataract surgery with phacoemulsificationMehmet Borazan
Department of Ophthalmology, Baskent University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 85:844-7. 2007To compare a bupivacaine and lidocaine mixture with levobupivacaine and ropivacaine in terms of safety, efficacy and blocking quality in peribulbar anaesthesia for phacoemulsification.
- Comparison of endothelial changes and power settings between torsional and longitudinal phacoemulsificationAnna Reuschel
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
J Cataract Refract Surg 36:1855-61. 2010To compare the intraoperative and postoperative outcomes of conventional longitudinal phacoemulsification and torsional phacoemulsification.
- Outcomes of phacoemulsification and in-the-bag intraocular lens implantation in Fuchs' heterochromic iridocyclitisMohammad Ali Javadi
Ophthalmology Department and Ophthalmic Research Center, Labbafinejad Medical Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, 16666 Tehran, Iran
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:997-1001. 2005To evaluate the visual outcomes and complications of phacoemulsification (PE) and posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation, (PC IOL) in patients with Fuchs heterochromic iridocyclitis (FHIC).
- Results of phacoemulsification in eyes with preexisting glaucoma filtersBradford J Shingleton
Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston, Center for Eye Research and Education, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:1093-6. 2003To evaluate the intraocular pressure (IOP), best corrected visual acuity (BCVA), and glaucoma medication requirements in patients having phacoemulsification after preexisting glaucoma filters.
- Intraocular pressure following phacoemulsification in patients with and without exfoliation syndrome: a 2 year prospective studyK F Damji
Department of Opthamology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa Hospital Eye Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 8L6
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1014-8. 2006To determine the long term intraocular pressure (IOP) response to phacoemulsification in patients with and without exfoliation syndrome (XFS).
- Mystery of the vanishing irisJames Ball
Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 28:180-1. 2002..the first reported case of traumatic aniridia as an isolated injury after blunt trauma to an eye that had phacoemulsification through a corneal tunnel...
- Seven-year follow-up of combined cataract extraction and viscocanalostomyManijeh S Wishart
Department of Ophthalmology, Warrington Hospital, North Cheshire NHS Trust, Warrington, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:2043-9. 2006To investigate the long-term success and complications of phacoemulsification combined with viscocanalostomy (phacoviscocanalostomy) in eyes with coexisting cataract and medically uncontrolled glaucoma.
- Dynamics of small-incision clear cornea wounds after phacoemulsification surgery using optical coherence tomography in the early postoperative periodAshley Behrens
The Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe St, 255 Woods Bldg, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Refract Surg 24:46-9. 2008To evaluate wound dynamics in the immediate postoperative period after phacoemulsification surgery using a small-incision clear cornea approach.
- Intraocular lens power calculation in short eyesE A Gavin
West Kent Eye Centre, Bromley Hospitals NHS Trust, Orpington, UK
Eye (Lond) 22:935-8. 2008..To compare the accuracy of the Hoffer Q and SRK-T formulae in eyes below 22 mm in axial length, using biometry measured with partial coherence inferometry (PCI), without a customised ACD constant...
- Phacoemulsification with intravitreal bevacizumab injection in diabetic patients with macular edema and cataractArsen Akinci
Department of Retina, Kudret Eye Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Retina 29:1432-5. 2009The purpose of this study was to evaluate the results of phacoemulsification with intravitreal bevacizumab injection in patients with diabetic clinically significant macular edema and cataract.
- The combination of intravitreal bevacizumab and phacoemulsification surgery in patients with cataract and coexisting diabetic macular edemaChih Hsin Chen
Department of Ophthalmology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, People s Republic of China
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 25:83-9. 2009The aim of this study was to assess the efficacy of phacoemulsification combined with intravitreal (i.v.t.) bevacizumab injection in diabetics with clinically significant macular edema (CSME) and cataract.
- Circumferential viscodilation and tensioning of Schlemm canal (canaloplasty) with temporal clear corneal phacoemulsification cataract surgery for open-angle glaucoma and visually significant cataract: one-year resultsBradford Shingleton
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:433-40. 2008..of the inner wall of Schlemm canal, a new nonpenetrating surgical procedure (canaloplasty) to treat open-angle glaucoma (OAG), combined with clear corneal phacoemulsification and posterior chamber intraocular lens (IOL) implantation.
- DisCoVisc versus the soft-shell technique using Viscoat and Provisc in phacoemulsification: randomized clinical trialMamidipudi R Praveen
Iladevi Cataract and IOL Research Centre, Raghudeep Eye Clinic, Memnagar, Ahmedabad, India
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:1145-51. 2008..6%-chondroitin sulfate 4.0%) with those of the soft-shell technique using Viscoat (sodium hyaluronate 3.0%-chondroitin sulfate 4.0%) and Provisc (sodium hyaluronate 1.0%) in phacoemulsification.
- Efficacy and tolerability of a combined moxifloxacin/dexamethasone formulation for topical prophylaxis and reduction of inflammation in phacoemulsification: a comparative, double masked clinical trialLincoln Lemes Freitas
Department of Ophthalmology, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Curr Med Res Opin 23:3123-30. 2007..1% dexamethasone formulation (Vigadexa) versus conventional dosing with 0.5% concomitant moxifloxacin (Vigamox) and 0.1% dexamethasone (Maxidex) for the prevention of infection and control of inflammation after cataract surgery...
- A prospective comparative study of the AMO ARRAY zonal-progressive multifocal silicone intraocular lens and a monofocal intraocular lensR F Steinert
Center for Eye Research and Education, Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston, and the Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts, USA
Ophthalmology 106:1243-55. 1999..To evaluate the safety and effectiveness of a zonal-progressive multifocal silicone intraocular lens (IOL)...
- Evaluation of macular changes after uncomplicated phacoemulsification surgery by optical coherence tomographyIrfan Perente
Beyoglu Eye Research and Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Curr Eye Res 32:241-7. 2007To evaluate the effect of uncomplicated phacoemulsification surgery on macula by optical coherence tomography (OCT).
- Age-related cataractPenny A Asbell
Department of Ophthalmology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1183, New York, NY 10029, USA
Lancet 365:599-609. 2005..Despite these advances, cataract continues to be a leading public-health issue that will grow in importance as the population increases and life expectancy is extended worldwide...
- Incidence of cystoid macular edema after cataract surgery in patients with and without uveitis using optical coherence tomographyMarie Lyne Belair
Department of Ophthalmology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 148:128-35.e2. 2009..To determine the incidence of cystoid macular edema (CME) after cataract surgery among eyes with and without uveitis using optical coherence tomography (OCT) and to determine risk factors for postoperative CME among eyes with uveitis...
- Prostaglandin E2 inhibition and aqueous concentration of ketorolac 0.4% (acular LS) and nepafenac 0.1% (nevanac) in patients undergoing phacoemulsificationFrank A Bucci
Bucci Laser Vision Institute, Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania 18702, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 144:146-7. 2007..To determine the prostaglandin E(2) (PGE(2)) levels and aqueous concentrations achieved with ketorolac 0.4% (Acular LS; Allergan, Inc, Irvine, California, USA) and nepafenac 0.1% (Nevanac; Alcon Laboratories, Inc, Fort Worth, Texas, USA)...
- The relation of volume with outcome in phacoemulsification surgeryM Habib
Sunderland Eye Infirmary, Sunderland, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 88:643-6. 2004..The relation between surgical volume and outcome has not, as far as is known, been looked at for phacoemulsification alone.
- Complications of cataract surgeryElsie Chan
Ophthalmology, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Clin Exp Optom 93:379-89. 2010..In these patients, various pre- or intra-operative management steps can be taken in addition to routine phacoemulsification to optimise their visual outcome.
- Sensimmer Virtual Phaco Trainer for Cataract SurgeryP Pat Banerjee; Fiscal Year: 2011..The virtual trainer supports the teaching of cataract surgery by phacoemulsification ("phaco")...
- SENSIMMER? Virtual Phaco Trainer for Cataract SurgeryP Banerjee; Fiscal Year: 2009..modules for the major part-tasks of cataract surgery: (1) Clear corneal incision (2) Capsulorrhexis, (3) Phacoemulsification, (4) Removal of soft cortex material and (5) Intraocular lens implant insertion...
- ENDOCAPSULAR VORTEX EMULSIFICATION CATARACT REMOVALSOHEILA MIRHASHEMI; Fiscal Year: 1999..The phacoemulsification procedure requires destruction (removal) of the anterior lens capsule, precluding use of future biopolymer ..
- PRE-MRI PATIENT SCREENING FOR INTRAOCULAR FOREIGN BODIESPETER CZIPOTT; Fiscal Year: 2000..To develop this potential, Quantum Magnetics has formed a partnership with Dr. R. Kemp Massengill, an entrepreneur who has successfully marketed ultrasonic liposuction and low-cost phacoemulsification technology.
- ER:YAG LASER LENS EMULSIFICATIONCOLETTE COZEAN; Fiscal Year: 1992..data are variable but illustrate that the Er:YAG laser has the potential to both ablate and acoustically emulsify all grades of lenses including dense grade three and four lenses, which are not amenable to phacoemulsification.
- BIOEFFECTS OF GAS BODY ACTIVATION IN MEDICAL ULTRASOUNDDouglas Miller; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- ULTRASOUND ENHANCEMENT OF CANCER GENE THERAPYDouglas Miller; Fiscal Year: 2003..This research will provide a bridge from the basic research breakthrough to specific therapeutic applications and urgently needed clinical research programs utilizing this novel technology. ..
- BIOEFFECTS OF GAS BODY ACTIVATION IN MEDICAL ULTRASOUNDDouglas Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..This project will examine bioeffects in cells and tissues and show how to safely use ultrasound contrast agents in diagnostic imaging. ..
- ULTRASOUND ENHANCEMENT OF CANCER GENE THERAPYDouglas Miller; Fiscal Year: 2002..This research will provide a bridge from the basic research breakthrough to specific therapeutic applications and urgently needed clinical research programs utilizing this novel technology. ..
- The Northwest Tribal Vision ProjectSteven Mansberger; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will then lead to a larger, more comprehensive survey of the prevalence and causes of visual impairment in AI/AN. ..
- COLLABORATIVE INITIAL GLAUCOMA TREATMENT STUDYPhilip Chen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- OCULAR HYPERTENSION TREATMENT STUDY (OHTS)Donald Budenz; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- MRI Biometry of the Pseudophakic Cadaver EyeSusan Strenk; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Will Cytoskeletal Drugs Prevent PCO?Baohe Tian; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CYTOKINE MODULATION IN PROLIFERATIVE VITREORETINOPATHYGLENN JAFFE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Density-dependent effects of IL-1, TNFalpha, and specific NF-kappaB inhibitors on NF-kappaB-mediated RPE apoptosis will be quantified. IV) To determine whether specific in vivo NF-kappaB blockade inhibits PVR. ..
- A DATABASE OF IOL POSITION AND BEHAVIORSusan Strenk; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- MEIBOMIAN KERATOCONJUNCTIVITISJames McCulley; Fiscal Year: 2003..Methods include non-destructive HPLC as well as GC-MS to analyze patient meibum, and standard lipid mixtures based on the composition of patient meibum for physical measurements. ..
- Endothelial Transmigration Across the RPE BarrierMary Elizabeth Hartnett; Fiscal Year: 2005..Increased knowledge of the mechanisms that cause this destructive phenomenon may lead to future means to prevent CNV in the neurosensory retina, and thus, reduce vision loss in AMD. ..