Summary: Abortion performed because of possible fetal defects.
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Possible human chimera detected prenatally after in vitro fertilization: a case reportB Simon-Bouy
Laboratoire SESEP, Universite de Versailles, Versailles, France
Prenat Diagn 23:935-7. 2003..Chimerism is the coexistence of more than one cell line in an individual, due to the fusion of originally separate zygotes. It has been very rarely described in humans...
- Prenatal diagnosis of Aicardi-Goutières syndromeM Le Garrec
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Edouard Herriot Hospital, Lyon, France
Prenat Diagn 25:28-30. 2005..A case of prenatal diagnosis of Aicardi-Goutières syndrome is reported...
- Contribution of fetal MR imaging in the prenatal diagnosis of Zellweger syndromeF Mochel
Service de Radiologie Pediatrique, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27:333-6. 2006..The high level of resolution of MR imaging, which allows analysis of cerebral gyration and myelination, facilitates the prenatal diagnosis of complex polymalformative syndromes such as ZS...
- Prenatal diagnosis of an unexpected interstitial 22q11.2 deletion causing truncus arteriosus and thymic hypoplasia in a ring 22 chromosome derived from a maternally inherited paracentric inversionJennifer McClarren
Genzyme Genetics, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Prenat Diagn 26:1212-5. 2006..To present the prenatal diagnosis of an interstitial 22q11.2 deletion involving a ring 22 chromosome associated with truncus arteriosus and a hypoplastic thymus...
- Prenatal diagnosis of hypochondroplasia: report of two casesC Karadimas
Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, Mitera Maternity and Surgical Center, Athens, Greece
Am J Med Genet A 140:998-1003. 2006..We conclude that the combination of ultrasound and molecular genetic approach is helpful for establishing an accurate diagnosis of HCH in utero and subsequently for appropriate genetic counseling and perinatal management...
- Prenatal diagnosis of the hypoplastic right heart syndrome with sex chromosome pentasomy (49,XXXXY)Chih Ping Chen
Prenat Diagn 27:285-6. 2007
- Early second-trimester diagnosis of fetal otocephalyC P Chen
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 29:470-1. 2007
- The role of genetic counseling in the elective termination of pregnancies involving fetuses with disabilitiesChristy D Roberts
School of Education, Lewis University, One University Parkway, Romeoville, IL 60446, USA
J Spec Educ 36:48-55. 2002....
- Pregnancy interrupted: loss of a desired pregnancy after diagnosis of fetal anomalyJudith L M McCoyd
Rutgers University, State University of New Jersey, School of Social Work, NJ 08102 1519, USA
J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 28:37-48. 2007..Suggestions for how providers may assist women with their grief are incorporated...
- Prenatal diagnosis and management of sex chromosome aneuploidy: a report on 98 casesJean Luc Brun
Maternal and Fetal Medicine Unit, Pellegrin University Hospital, Bordeaux, France
Prenat Diagn 24:213-8. 2004..To analyse the management of pregnancy after prenatal diagnosis of sex chromosome aneuploidy (SCA) and the factors influencing genetic counselling and parental decision...
- Evaluation of 2407 fetuses in a Turkish populationGulay Ceylaner
Department of Genetics, Zekai Tahir Burak Women s Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Prenat Diagn 27:800-7. 2007..Here, we report the findings of terminated fetuses due to IUFD and congenital anomalies in Turkish population...
- Fetal phenotype of Prader-Willi syndrome due to maternal disomy for chromosome 15A Coulomb L'Herminé
Service d Anatomie Pathologique, Hopital Antoine Beclere, Clamart, France
Prenat Diagn 23:938-43. 2003..This report points out that in a karyotypically normal fetus with ambiguous male external genitalia and cerebral anomalies, extensive cytogenetic and molecular biology studies are strongly recommended because of risk of PWS...
- [Medical counselling in the context of prenatal diagnostics]Robin Schwerdtfeger
Praxis für Pränatalmedizin, Zentrum für Pränatalmedizin und Humangenetik, Hannover
Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr 56:733-40. 2007..Five case examples taken from medical practice demonstrate the complexity of ethical-moral and psychosocial aspects and therewith the special challenge of prenatal diagnostics in medical counselling...
- [Psychological aspects of pregnancy and prenatal diagnostics]I Kowalcek
Medizinische Universität Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck
Z Geburtshilfe Neonatol 212:41-6. 2008..Beside the medical aspects, the psychological impact on a pregnant woman and the father-to-be has to be taken into meticulous consideration...
- Carrier screening for beta-thalassemia during pregnancy in India: a 7-year evaluationRoshan Colah
Institute of Immunohaematology, KEM Hospital Campus, Parel, Mumbai, India
Genet Test 12:181-5. 2008..Premarital screening for beta-thalassemia is not widely acceptable in India; hence, we evaluated the effectiveness of antenatal screening and counseling over 7 years...
- Changing spectrum and outcome of 705 fetal congenital heart disease cases: 12 years, experience in a third-level centerMaria G Russo
Division of Pediatric Cardiology and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Second University, Monaldi Hospital, Naples, Italy
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 9:910-5. 2008..Nowadays, fetal echocardiography is a widely practiced technique; however, the impact of prenatal diagnosis on prognosis of the newborns affected by congenital heart disease remains uncertain...
- A new report of mesomelic camptomelia, polydactyly and Dandy-Walker complex in siblingsS Planas
Unit of Echography and Prenatal Diagnosis, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Hospital del Mar, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Prenat Diagn 23:372-4. 2003..This combination could represent a specific pattern of malformation or a new syndrome, with different variants. The parents' consanguinity and the recurrence in a subsequent pregnancy suggest an autosomal recessive inheritance pattern...
- Disability rights critique of prenatal genetic testing: reflections and recommendationsErik Parens
The Hastings Center, Garrison, New York 10524, USA
Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 9:40-7. 2003..Although the movement has no one position on prenatal diagnosis, many of its adherents believe that public support for prenatal diagnosis and abortion based on disability contravenes the movement's basic philosophy and goals...
- Prenatal diagnosis of mosaic ring chromosome 22 associated with cardiovascular abnormalities and intrauterine growth restrictionChih Ping Chen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Prenat Diagn 23:40-3. 2003..To present the prenatal diagnosis and perinatal findings of mosaic ring chromosome 22...
- Congenital erythropoietic porphyria (Günther's disease): two cases with very early prenatal manifestation and cystic hygromaE Pannier
Centre multidisciplinaire de Diagnostic Prénatal et d Echographie, Maternite Port Royal, Paris, France
Prenat Diagn 23:25-30. 2003..Amniotic fluid was dark brown and uro- and coproporphyrin I was dramatically increased. Molecular screening of the CEP gene detected heterozygous C73R mutation in both fetuses, the other parental mutation being as yet unknown...
- Attitudes to prenatal testing and termination of pregnancy for fetal abnormality: a comparison of white and Pakistani women in the UKJenny Hewison
Professor of the Psychology of Healthcare, Institute of Health Sciences and Public Health Research, University of Leeds School of Medicine, 15 Hyde Terrace, Leeds LS2 9LT, UK
Prenat Diagn 27:419-30. 2007....
- Obstetric and neonatal outcomes in severe fetal ventriculomegalyAndrew C G Breeze
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Box 228, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Prenat Diagn 27:124-9. 2007..To determine the early outcome and the incidence of associated structural anomalies in pregnancies complicated by severe fetal ventriculomegaly (VM)...
- A compound heterozygote harboring novel and recurrent DTDST mutations with intermediate phenotype between atelosteogenesis type II and diastrophic dysplasiaKoichi Maeda
Laboratory for Bone and Joint Diseases, SNP Research Center, RIKEN, Shirokanedai, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Med Genet A 140:1143-7. 2006..G663R is a loss-of-function mutation. Our case supports the previously described correlation between the severity of the phenotype and the putative level of residual transport function...
- Variation in the decision to terminate pregnancy in the setting of fetal aneuploidyBrian L Shaffer
Division of Perinatal Medicine and Genetics, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Prenat Diagn 26:667-71. 2006..To investigate the rate of pregnancy termination for various fetal aneuploidies, and to evaluate predictors of this choice...
- Prenatal diagnosis of hemivertebra in association with dextrocardia, atrioventricular septal defect and preaxial polydactylAhmet Gul
Prenat Diagn 26:581-2. 2006
- Early ultrasonographic changes in Fowler syndrome features and review of the literatureIhab M Usta
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Prenat Diagn 25:1019-23. 2005..The natural progression of the ultrasonographic features of Fowler syndrome has never been described...
- Striking facial dysmorphisms and restricted thymic development in a fetus with a 6-megabase deletion of chromosome 14qJ M de Pater
Department of Biomedical Genetics, University Medical Centre Utrecht, The Netherlands
Pediatr Dev Pathol 8:497-503. 2005....
- Prenatal diagnosis and molecular analysis of type 1 thanatophoric dysplasiaDongzhi Li
Prenatal Diagnostic Center, Guangzhou Maternal and Neonatal Hospital, Guangzhou Medical College, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 91:268-70. 2005
- First-trimester ultrasound diagnosis of Meckel-Grüber syndromeSilvia So Haei Liu
Prenatal Diagnosis Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Cathay General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 85:757-9. 2006
- Prenatal diagnosis of congenital chylothorax associated with de novopartial trisomy 12q (12q21.2-->qter)Chih Ping Chen
Prenat Diagn 26:752-5. 2006
- Prenatal foetal diagnosis of partial trisomy 3q and monosomy 13p due to a maternal balanced rearrangementAntonio Pires
Department of Paediatric Cardiology, Hospital Pediátrico de Coimbra, Portugal
Prenat Diagn 25:292-5. 2005..Familial studies identified a maternal balanced translocation involving chromosomes 3 and 13. The post-mortem examination confirmed the prenatal ultrasound findings...
- Imperforate anus: A relatively common anomaly rarely diagnosed prenatallyA Brantberg
National Center for Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, St Olav s Hospital, Trondheim University Hospital, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 28:904-10. 2006..In this study, we investigated the presence and diagnosis of imperforate anus along with strategies for improving prenatal diagnosis of the condition...
- Prenatal diagnosis of Fanconi anemia (Group C) subsequent to abnormal sonographic findingsAmy Merrill
Genzyme Genetics, Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory, Westborough, Massachusetts 01581, USA
Prenat Diagn 25:20-2. 2005..We describe two cases in which second-trimester sonographic findings led to parental carrier testing for FA-C and subsequent prenatal diagnosis of affected fetuses...
- Detection of alpha-thalassemia in beta-thalassemia carriers and prevention of Hb Bart's hydrops fetalis through prenatal screeningDongzhi Li
Prenatal Diagnostic Center, Guangzhou Maternal and Neonatal Hospital, Guangzhou Medical College, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
Haematologica 91:649-51. 2006..The results showed that molecular analysis must be used for accurate diagnosis of double heterozygotes in couples presumed to be discordant for alpha- and beta-thalassemia on hematologic testing...
- Correlation between prenatal ultrasound and autopsy findings: A study of second-trimester abortionsA Kaasen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet Medical Centre, Oslo, Norway
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 28:925-33. 2006..To evaluate discrepancies between sonographic and autopsy findings following termination of pregnancy (TOP) in the second trimester...
- Translocation 1q15q in a fetus with holoprosencephalyRosário Pinto Leite
Prenat Diagn 22:1238-9. 2002
- Prenatal sonographic diagnosis of the 49,XXXXY syndromeCaroline Schluth
Laboratoire de Cytogenetique, Hopital de Hautepierre, Strasbourg, France
Prenat Diagn 22:1177-80. 2002..Moreover, they emphasize the importance of detailed sonographic examination in the second trimester, as small penis and abnormal posturing of the lower extremities are very suggestive of the 49,XXXXY syndrome...
- Parental decisions to abort or continue a pregnancy with an abnormal finding after an invasive prenatal testJoel Zlotogora
Department of Community Genetics, Public Health Services, Ministry of Health, Jerusalem, Israel
Prenat Diagn 22:1102-6. 2002..To determine the importance of various factors on the decisions whether to terminate or continue a pregnancy after an abnormal result...
- First-trimester sonographic diagnosis of distal urethral atresia with megalourethra in VACTERL associationMartin Krapp
Division of Prenatal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical University of Lubeck, Germany
Prenat Diagn 22:422-4. 2002..The prenatal diagnostician should seek histological examination firstly to confirm his findings and secondly to avoid missing associations and inherited malformations...
- Prenatal ultrasound diagnosis of frontonasal dysplasiaPasquale Martinelli
Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, University Federico II of Naples, Italy
Prenat Diagn 22:375-9. 2002..In the present case, hemimegalencephaly is first reported among the anomalies possibly associated with frontonasal dysplasia. The diagnosis was made at 22 weeks' gestation and was confirmed by necropsy following termination of pregnancy...
- Omphalocele: prenatal MR findingsG Verswijvel
Department of Radiology, Ziekenhuis Oost Limburg ZOL, Genk, Belgium
JBR-BTR 85:200-2. 2002..The MR images provided adequate anatomical detail of the major abdominal viscera to evaluate the content and extent of the disease...
- Fetal abnormalities leading to termination of singleton pregnancy: the 7-year experience of a single medical centerZvi Vaknin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Israel
Prenat Diagn 26:938-43. 2006..To assess the distribution of fetal indications leading to termination of pregnancy (TOP) in our institute...
- [Prenatal diagnosis and management in VACTERL association]S Tercanli
Z Geburtshilfe Neonatol 205:65-70. 2001..We present sonographical, clinical and autopsy findings and discuss the pathogenesis of VACTERL-Association as a defect of mesenchymal development in early embryogenesis...
- Abortions in Byzantine times (325-1453 AD)E Poulakou-Rebelakou
International Hippocratic Foundation of Kos, Greece
Vesalius 2:19-25. 1996....
- Induced pluripotent stem cells offer new approach to therapy in thalassemia and sickle cell anemia and option in prenatal diagnosis in genetic diseasesLin Ye
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0793, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:9826-30. 2009..Early treatment has the advantage of requiring much fewer cells than adult treatment, and can also prevent organ damage in those diseases in which damage can begin in utero or at an early age...
- Preimplantation genetic diagnosis as an alternative to amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling: psychosocial and ethical aspectsM M Vergeer
SCO Kohnstamm Institute, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 35:5-13. 1998..The general public should be informed about possibilities and impossibilities of preventive diagnosis and the right of future parents not to use genetic diagnosis...
- Psychological response to prenatal genetic counseling and amniocentesisK P Tercyak
Department of Clinical and Health Psychology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Patient Educ Couns 43:73-84. 2001..These findings suggest that women who participate in prenatal counseling and testing may be subject to experience distress and unrealistic perceptions of their risk and may benefit from interventions designed to lessen these states...
- [Genetic analysis of chorionic villi specimen in spontaneous abortion using various methods]Qiong Lei
Reproductive Medicine Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510080, China
Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi 44:253-6. 2009....
- China's excess males, sex selective abortion, and one child policy: analysis of data from 2005 national intercensus surveyWei Xing Zhu
College of Law, Political Science and Public Administration, Zhejiang Normal University, Jinhua, Zhejiang 310347, China
BMJ 338:b1211. 2009..To elucidate current trends and geographical patterns in the sex ratio at birth and in the population aged under 20 in China and to determine the roles played by sex selective abortion and the one child policy...
- Pollination in the marine realm: microsatellites reveal high outcrossing rates and multiple paternity in eelgrass Zostera marinaT B Reusch
Max Planck Institut für Limnologie, August Thienemann Strasse 2, 24306 Plön, Germany
Heredity (Edinb) 85:459-64. 2000..They will be useful to distinguish postfertilization processes such as selective abortion and germination from other prefertilization determinants of plant mating systems...
- Reproductive choices for couples with haemophiliaJ O O Oyesiku
Oxford Haemophilia Centre, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK IVF Unit, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Haemophilia 8:348-52. 2002....
- Female feticide in IndiaNehaluddin Ahmad
Sultan Sharif Ali Islamic University, Brunei Darussalam
Issues Law Med 26:13-29. 2010..These laws, however, have not stemmed the tide of this abhorrent practice. This article will discuss the socio-legal conundrum female feticide presents, as well as the consequences of having too few women in Indian society...
- Transvaginal embryo aspiration--a safe method for selective reduction in multiple pregnanciesJ Itskovitz-Eldor
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Fertil Steril 58:351-5. 1992..To evaluate pregnancy outcome after transvaginal selective embryo aspiration and to compare the results with those reported previously with other techniques for selective abortion...
- Acceptance of screening and abortion for Down syndrome among Finnish midwives and public health nursesP Jallinoja
Health Services Research Unit, National Research and Development Centre for Welfare and Health, Helsinki, Finland
Prenat Diagn 19:1015-22. 1999....
- Analysis of socio-political and health practices influencing sex ratio at birth in Viet NamBang Nguyen Pham
University of Queensland, School of Population Health, Herston, Queensland, 4006, Australia
Reprod Health Matters 16:176-84. 2008....
- Abnormal sex ratios in human populations: causes and consequencesTherese Hesketh
Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guildford Street, London WCI N1EH, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:13271-5. 2006..Measures to reduce sex selection must include strict enforcement of existing legislation, the ensuring of equal rights for women, and public awareness campaigns about the dangers of gender imbalance...
- Improving population health or the population itself? Health technology assessment and our genetic futureKen Bassett
BC Office of Health Technology Assessment, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 20:106-14. 2004..It should also require maintenance of medical standards and evaluation of program performance. At the same time, policy-makers need actively to support those individuals born with disabilities and their families...
- How do carriers of hemophilia and their spouses experience prenatal diagnosis by chorionic villus sampling?U Tedgård
Department of Pediatrics, University of Lund, University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Clin Genet 55:26-33. 1999..Notably, signs of depressive mood were observed several years after the abortion, and the provision of psychosocial support should be recommended for couples who decide upon termination of pregnancy following PD...
- Recent increase in sex ratio at birth in Viet NamChristophe Z Guilmoto
CEPED Université Paris Descartes Ined IRD, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 4:e4624. 2009..Our aim in this paper is to ascertain the situation with respect to sex ratio at birth in Viet Nam over the past five years...
- Tunisia: communities and community geneticsHabiba Chaabouni-Bouhamed
Department of Hereditary Disorders, Charles Nicolle Hospital, Human Genetics Laboratory, Medical School of Tunis, Tunis, Tunisia
Community Genet 11:313-23. 2008..At present, genetic counseling and prenatal diagnosis seems to be the method of choice to prevent genetic diseases in Tunisia, and such services should be developed as a priority despite the financial costs of such a program...
- Determinants of induced abortion: an analysis of individual, household and contextual factors in Rajasthan, IndiaBatya Elul
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, USA
J Biosoc Sci 43:1-17. 2011..For rural women only, community beliefs regarding spousal consent requirements pre-abortion were also significantly associated with abortion...
- On what grounds do women participate in prenatal screening?P Santalahti
National Research and Development Centre for Welfare and Health, Department of Public Health, University of Turku, Finland
Prenat Diagn 18:153-65. 1998..The fact that ultrasound screening can detect conditions which may lead to the possibility of a selective abortion should also be explained more fully...
- Sex ratio patterns according to Asian ethnicity in Québec, 1981-2004Nathalie Auger
Institut National de Sante Publique du Quebec, Unité Etudes et Analyses de l Etat de Santé de la Population, 190, boulevard Crémazie Est, Montreal, QC H2P1E2, Canada
Eur J Epidemiol 24:17-24. 2009..The reason for this imbalance is unclear. Further research in other Western settings is necessary to evaluate the possibility of sex selection...
- Offspring quality in relation to excess flowers in Pultenaea gunnii (Fabaceae)Martin Burd
School of Biological Sciences, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria 3800, Australia
Evolution 58:2371-6. 2004..But the strongly diminishing marginal benefits of excess flowers in this relation make it unlikely that wider choice plays a major role in the evolution of floral display size in this species...
- Increased heterozygosity for MHC class II lineages in newborn malesM T Dorak
Department of Haematology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Genes Immun 3:263-9. 2002..These results provide an appealing working hypothesis for further studies in humans and other vertebrates...
- Selecting potential children and unconditional parental loveJohn Davis
California State University, Fullerton, California 92834 6868, USA
Bioethics 22:258-68. 2008..I conclude with some programmatic remarks about the nonidentity problem...
- A fungal parasite regulates a putative female-suppressor gene homologous to maize tasselseed2 and causes induced hermaphroditism in male buffalograssAmbika Chandra
Texas AgriLife Research Dallas, Texas A and M System, 17360 Coit Road, Dallas, TX 75252, USA
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 23:239-50. 2010..This study provides a potential molecular basis for pistil smut-induced hermaphroditism in male buffalograss...
- Conjoined twins--past, present, and futureAbdullah Al Rabeeah
Division of Pediatric Surgery, King Abdulaziz Medical City Riyadh, PO Box 22490, Riyadh 11426, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
J Pediatr Surg 41:1000-4. 2006..Conjoined twins are rare and complex anomalies of the newborn. They require a highly experienced team and a center equipped to deal with such challenging anatomy...
- Selective abortion and the evolution of genomic imprintingJ B Wolf
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath, UK
J Evol Biol 22:2519-23. 2009..Thus, imprinting may act as a genomic 'cloaking device' during critical periods in development when selective abortion is possible...
- Estimating the attitude of immigrants toward primary prevention of the hemoglobinopathiesPiero C Giordano
Department of Human and Clinical Genetics, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Prenat Diagn 25:885-93. 2005....
- Selective flower abortion maintains moth cooperation in a newly discovered pollination mutualismRyutaro Goto
Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies, Kyoto University, Yoshida nihonmatsu cho, Sakyo, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Ecol Lett 13:321-9. 2010..As new pollination mutualisms are being discovered, selective abortion mechanisms may prove to be more widespread than previously thought...
- Sex selection: the systematic elimination of girlsNandini Oomman
Reprod Health Matters 10:184-8. 2002..All agree that only improved status for women and girls will reduce the demand for sex selection...
- Genetic counseling for childless women at risk for Duchenne muscular dystrophyS Eggers
Departamento de Biologia, Centro de Estudos do Genoma Humano, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Med Genet 86:447-53. 1999....
- Congenital disability and medical research: the development of amniocentesisP McDonough
Department of Behavioural Science, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Women Health 16:137-53. 1990..The necessity to consider the implications of this technology within both a feminist and disability rights framework is discussed...
- The political economy of abortion in India: cost and expenditure patternsRavi Duggal
Centre for Enquiry into Health and Allied Themes, Mumbai, India
Reprod Health Matters 12:130-7. 2004..It is imperative for the state to regulate the abortion economy in India, both to rationalise costs and assure safe abortions for women...
- 'And they kill me, only because I am a girl'...a review of sex-selective abortions in South AsiaFarina Gul Abrejo
Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University, Population and Reproductive Health Program, Karachi, Pakistan
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 14:10-6. 2009..A self-regulation of the practices in the medical profession and among communities must be achieved through behavioural change campaigns...
- Limits of state intervention in sex-selective abortion: the case of ChinaJing Bao Nie
Bioethics Centre, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Cult Health Sex 12:205-19. 2010..To avoid a solution that is worse than the problem itself, alternative social programmes that are focused on women, community-oriented and voluntary in nature need to be developed...
- Disabilities caused by unstable mutations in Costa RicaPatricia Cuenca
Sección de Genética Humana, Instituto de Investigaciones en Salud, Universidad de Costa Rica, 2060, San Jose, Costa Rica
Rev Biol Trop 52:501-5. 2004..Cascade screening, genetic counseling and selective abortion are the only tools available to prevent these disabling diseases for the moment...
- Sex selection in practice among Hong Kong ChineseS F Wong
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Lai Chi Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Soc Sci Med 53:393-7. 2001..05). Thus, biological or parental factors were unlikely to be important in influencing the sex of the newborn. This suggested that sex selection or sex-selective abortion might be practiced among Hong Kong Chinese women...
- [The small epidemiologic transition: further decrease in infant mortality due to medical intervention during pregnancy and childbirth, yet no decrease in childhood disabilities]W J van der Veen
Rijksuniversiteit, disciplinegroep Huisartsgeneeskunde, faculteit Medische Wetenschappen, Bloemsingel 1, 9713 BZ Groningen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 147:378-81. 2003..These have indeed led to an increase in options before, during and after pregnancy, but not to a reduced morbidity at the start of life...
- A national register for surveillance of inherited disorders: beta thalassaemia in the United KingdomB Modell
Royal Free and University College Medical School, University College London, Department of Primary Care and Population Sciences, England
Bull World Health Organ 79:1006-13. 2001..To demonstrate the value of a national register for surveillance of services for an inherited disorder...
- Is sex-selective abortion morally justified and should it be prohibited?Wendy Rogers
Department of Medical Education, Flinders University, Adelaide SA, Australia
Bioethics 21:520-4. 2007..Arguments against SSA should be located within a concerted effort to ensure greater, deeper social and cultural equality between the sexes...
- A fast automatic recognition and location algorithm for fetal genital organs in ultrasound imagesSheng Tang
Post Doctoral Research Station, Shenzhen University, Shenzhen 518060, China
J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 10:648-58. 2009..The experimental results showed true positive (TP) and true negative (TN) results from 80.5% (265 from 329) and 83.0% (415 from 500) of samples, respectively. The average computation time was 453 ms per image...
- A new hypothesis for the evolution of overproduction of ovules: an advantage of selective abortion for females not associated with variation in genetic quality of the resulting seedsSatoki Sakai
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, Aoba, Sendai 980 8578, Japan
Evolution 61:984-93. 2007..The new hypothesis is different from the selective abortion hypothesis in that selecting ovules is advantageous even if there are no differences in the genetic quality of resulting seeds...
- Female selective abortion - beyond 'culture': family making and gender inequality in a globalising IndiaMaya Unnithan-Kumar
University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, UK
Cult Health Sex 12:153-66. 2010....
- Sex selective feticide in IndiaSwapan Seth
Department of Business Administration, National Institute of Technology, Durgapur, India
J Assist Reprod Genet 24:153-4. 2007....
- [Rapid determination of sex in Myocastor coypus embryos in the first stage of gestation]P Garcia-Meunier
Laboratoire de Biologie et Environnement Marins, Institut de la Mer et du Littoral, avenue Lazaret, Port des Minimes, 17000 La Rochelle, France
C R Acad Sci III 324:321-5. 2001..Because of the direct amplification of embryo lysate without DNA extraction, the present sexing technique is rapid, relatively simple and inexpensive, and presents numerous advantages for the study at population scale...
- Maternal decisions regarding prenatal diagnosis: rational choices or sensible decisions?Karen L Lawson
Department of Psychology, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon SK
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 29:240-6. 2007..In light of these limitations, we make a case for adopting a contextual framework for conceptualizing decisions regarding the use of prenatal testing...
- The determinants of discrimination against daughters in China: evidence from a provincial-level analysisIsabelle Attané
Institut National d Etudes Demographiques, 75020 Paris, France
Popul Stud (Camb) 63:87-102. 2009..While sex-selective abortion appears to result from long-term strategies to optimize family composition, lethal neglect is the immediate result of economic constraints...
- Gender imbalances in history: causes, consequences and social adjustmentDavid T Courtwright
Department of History, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL 32224 2644, USA
Reprod Biomed Online 16:32-40. 2008..How past societies struggled with and rectified gender imbalances offers insight into how contemporary and future societies might do so--and into the price they will pay if they ignore the problem...
- The use of ultrasonography in obstetrics in developing countriesEugene J Kongnyuy
Child and Reproductive Health Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine Liverpool, UK
Trop Doct 37:70-2. 2007....
- Preimplantation gender diagnosis by fluorescence in situ hybridizationYanwen Xu
Reproductive Research Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou 510080, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 115:874-7. 2002..To describe the clinical application of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH ) in preimplantation gender diagnosis...
- Plant chemical defence: a partner control mechanism stabilising plant--seed-eating pollinator mutualismsSebastien Ibanez
Laboratoire d Ecologie Alpine, UMR CNRS 5553, Université Joseph Fourier BP53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
BMC Evol Biol 9:261. 2009..In plant/seed-eating pollinator interactions the only mechanisms reported so far are those specific to one particular system, such as the selective abortion of over-exploited fruits...
- Antenatal perspective of hypoplastic left heart syndrome: 5 years onS V Rasiah
Department of Neonatology, Birmingham Women s Hospital NHS Trust, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TG, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 93:F192-7. 2008..Palliative staged reconstructive surgery has radically altered the outcome of babies with hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS)...
- Congenital vascular malformations: a series of five prenatally diagnosed casesFiona Connell
South West Thames Regional Genetics Unit, St George s University of London, Cranmer Terrace, London, United Kingdom
Am J Med Genet A 146:2673-80. 2008..One case died in utero and one in the neonatal period. The fifth case is an 11-year-old boy, whose lower limb deformity illustrates the considerable morbidity associated with this condition...
- Prenatal diagnosis for beta-thalassemia major in the Iranian Province of HormozganPooneh Nikuei
Medical Genetic Counseling Center, Social Welfare Organization, Bandarabbas, Iran
Hemoglobin 32:539-45. 2008..Using reverse hybridization, 64 (60.4%) were found to be heterozygous for a beta-thal mutation and 24 (22.6%) were normal. Eighteen (17.0%) were found to carry an affected fetus and these pregnancies were terminated...
- [Abortion induction in IInd trimester]J Zahumensky
Gynekologicko porodnická klinika 1 LF UK, FNB, Praha
Ceska Gynekol 73:118-22. 2008..We appreciated the effect of method and compared with references in the literature. TYPE STUDY: Retrospective descriptive study. SEATTING: OBGYN clinic of the 1st faculty of Charles University, teaching hospital Na Bulovce, Prague...
- Ultrasound screening for fetal anomalies in southern Sweden: a population-based studyAnnamari Nikkilä
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 85:688-93. 2006..We present here a large population-based study over a long period of years...
- [Eugenic abortion: an ethical dilemma]Jean Yves Nau
Rev Med Suisse 2:2202. 2006
- Classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency in Croatia between 1995 and 2006Katja Dumic
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Center Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Horm Res 72:247-51. 2009..To evaluate the incidence, gender, symptoms and age at diagnosis of patients with classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency in Croatia...
- [Prenatal medicine and prenatal diagnosis]Javier Valero de Bernabé Martín de Eugenio
Grupo Hospital de Madrid, Hospital Monteprincipe, Facultad de Medicina de la Universidad CEU San Pablo, Madrid, Spain
Cuad Bioet 20:441-50. 2009....
- Family and Health Consequences of Imbalanced Sex Ratios in IndiaScott J South; Fiscal Year: 2013..Consequently, learning more about the family and health consequences of India's growing male surplus and female deficit is an important scientific objective. ..
- Attitudes Regarding Prenatal and Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis For Inherited Lisa Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Sex Ratios and Family Life in ChinaSCOTT SOUTH; Fiscal Year: 2009..Therefore, learning more about the family-related impacts of China's male surplus and female deficit is an important scientific objective. ..
- GENETIC TESTING, DISABILITIES, AND THE QUALITY OF LIFEDavid Wasserman; Fiscal Year: 2000..abstract_text> ..
- Views of Privacy of Genetic InformationRobert Klitzman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings of this study can enhance further policy, professional and public education, and future research in this area. ..
- Intermediate Outcomes of Hysterectomy and AlternativesMiriam Kuppermann; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Attention, Memory, and Executive Function in Fragile XDonald Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Views and Approaches Toward Research Integrity Among IRBsRobert Klitzman; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate that the data from this study will serve as a significant foundation in assisting future research and the improvement of Rl through guidelines, education and other capacity building. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Expanded Prenatal Testing Options and Informed ChoiceMiriam Kuppermann; Fiscal Year: 2010..In short, this study will generate a useful decision-assisting tool and provide information for use in designing cost-effective testing programs that allow for variation in preferences. ..