Summary: Excision of the prepuce or part of it.
Publications343 found, 100 shown here
- Randomized, controlled intervention trial of male circumcision for reduction of HIV infection risk: the ANRS 1265 TrialBertran Auvert
Hopital Ambroise Pare, Assitance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Boulogne, France
PLoS Med 2:e298. 2005Observational studies suggest that male circumcision may provide protection against HIV-1 infection. A randomized, controlled intervention trial was conducted in a general population of South Africa to test this hypothesis.
- Male circumcision for HIV prevention in men in Rakai, Uganda: a randomised trialRonald H Gray
Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21215, USA
Lancet 369:657-66. 2007Ecological and observational studies suggest that male circumcision reduces the risk of HIV acquisition in men. Our aim was to investigate the effect of male circumcision on HIV incidence in men.
- Male circumcision for HIV prevention in young men in Kisumu, Kenya: a randomised controlled trialRobert C Bailey
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Lancet 369:643-56. 2007Male circumcision could provide substantial protection against acquisition of HIV-1 infection...
- Acceptability of male circumcision for prevention of HIV/AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa: a reviewN Westercamp
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1603 W Taylor Street, MC 923, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
AIDS Behav 11:341-55. 2007Based on epidemiological, clinical and experimental evidence, male circumcision (MC) could have a significant impact on the HIV epidemic in selected areas...
- A model for the roll-out of comprehensive adult male circumcision services in African low-income settings of high HIV incidence: the ANRS 12126 Bophelo Pele ProjectPascale Lissouba
INSERM U1018 Centre de Recherche en Epidémiologie et Santé des Populations CESP, Villejuif, France
PLoS Med 7:e1000309. 2010World Health Organization (WHO)/Joint United Nations Programme on AIDS (UNAIDS) has recommended adult male circumcision (AMC) for the prevention of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men from communities where HIV is hyperendemic ..
- Understanding the impact of male circumcision interventions on the spread of HIV in southern AfricaTimothy B Hallett
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 3:e2212. 2008Three randomised controlled trials have clearly shown that circumcision of adult men reduces the chance that they acquire HIV infection...
- Male circumcision decreases acquisition and increases clearance of high-risk human papillomavirus in HIV-negative men: a randomized trial in Rakai, UgandaRonald H Gray
Department of Population, Family, and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Infect Dis 201:1455-62. 2010Uncircumcised human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-negative men aged 15-49 years were randomized to immediate circumcision (intervention arm, 441 subjects) or delayed circumcision (control arm, 399 subjects)...
- The acceptability of male circumcision to reduce HIV infections in Nyanza Province, KenyaR C Bailey
School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
AIDS Care 14:27-40. 2002Compelling epidemiological evidence showing a significant association between lack of male circumcision and HIV infection has prompted calls for consideration of male circumcision interventions as a strategy for reducing HIV prevalence in ..
- Acceptability of male circumcision and predictors of circumcision preference among men and women in Nyanza Province, KenyaC L Mattson
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1603 W Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
AIDS Care 17:182-94. 2005Numerous epidemiologic studies report significant associations between lack of male circumcision and HIV-1 infection, leading some to suggest that male circumcision be added to the limited armamentarium of HIV prevention strategies in ..
- Circumcision in HIV-infected men and its effect on HIV transmission to female partners in Rakai, Uganda: a randomised controlled trialMaria J Wawer
Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Lancet 374:229-37. 2009Observational studies have reported an association between male circumcision and reduced risk of HIV infection in female partners...
- Male circumcision and HIV acquisition and transmission: cohort studies in Rakai, Uganda. Rakai Project TeamR H Gray
Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Department of Population and Family Health Sciences, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
AIDS 14:2371-81. 2000Male circumcision is associated with reduced HIV acquisition.
- [Male circumcision is an effective "surgical vaccine" for HIV prevention and reproductive health]Kun Long Ben
Kunming Kangtao Biotechnology Co Ltd, Kunming, Yunnan 650106, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 15:395-402. 2009Recent randomized controlled clinical trials in Africa have demonstrated that adult male circumcision (MC) efficiently decreases the rate of HIV, HPV and HSV-2 infections...
- Effects of genital ulcer disease and herpes simplex virus type 2 on the efficacy of male circumcision for HIV prevention: Analyses from the Rakai trialsRonald H Gray
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Med 6:e1000187. 2009Randomized trials show that male circumcision (MC) reduces the incidence of HIV and herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) infections, and symptomatic genital ulcer disease (GUD)...
- Acceptability of male circumcision for the prevention of HIV among high-risk heterosexual men in ThailandHong Van Tieu
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Sex Transm Dis 37:352-5. 2010Limited data are available on circumcision prevalence and acceptability among Thai men to prevent human immunodeficiency virus. Of 408 high-risk heterosexual men, 12.3% were circumcised. 14.2% and 24...
- Complications of circumcision in male neonates, infants and children: a systematic reviewHelen A Weiss
MRC Tropical Epidemiology Group, Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
BMC Urol 10:2. 2010..The aim of this paper is to summarize the literature on frequency of adverse events following pediatric circumcision, with a focus on developing countries.
- Circumcision of HIV-infected men: effects on high-risk human papillomavirus infections in a randomized trial in Rakai, UgandaDavid Serwadda
School of Public Health, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
J Infect Dis 201:1463-9. 2010In Rakai, Uganda, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-positive men were randomized to undergo either immediate circumcision (intervention arm) or delayed circumcision (control arm)...
- Sexual risk, nitrite inhalant use, and lack of circumcision associated with HIV seroconversion in men who have sex with men in the United StatesSusan P Buchbinder
AIDS Office, San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:82-9. 2005..4, PAR = 12%), protected receptive anal sex with an HIV-positive partner (AOR = 2.2, PAR = 11%), lack of circumcision (AOR = 2.0, PAR = 10%), and receptive oral sex to ejaculation with an HIV-positive partner (AOR = 3...
- Estimating the resources needed and savings anticipated from roll-out of adult male circumcision in Sub-Saharan AfricaBertran Auvert
Hopital Paul Brousse, INSERM U687, Villejuif, France
PLoS ONE 3:e2679. 2008Trials in Africa indicate that medical adult male circumcision (MAMC) reduces the risk of HIV by 60%...
- Male circumcision, penile human papillomavirus infection, and cervical cancer in female partnersXavier Castellsague
Servei d Epidemiologia i Registre del Cancer, Institut Catala d Oncologia, Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
N Engl J Med 346:1105-12. 2002It is uncertain whether male circumcision reduces the risks of penile human papillomavirus (HPV) infection in the man and of cervical cancer in his female partner.
- The effects of male circumcision on female partners' genital tract symptoms and vaginal infections in a randomized trial in Rakai, UgandaRonald H Gray
Department of Population, Family, and Reproductive Health, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 200:42.e1-7. 2009The objective of the study was to assess effects of male circumcision on female genital symptoms and vaginal infections.
- Male circumcision and risk of syphilis, chancroid, and genital herpes: a systematic review and meta-analysisH A Weiss
MRC Tropical Epidemiology Group, Infectious Disease Epidemiology Unit, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Sex Transm Infect 82:101-9; discussion 110. 2006Male circumcision is associated with reduced risk of HIV infection...
- Male circumcision for HIV prevention in sub-Saharan Africa: who, what and when?Richard G White
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
AIDS 22:1841-50. 2008Male circumcision (circumcision) reduces HIV incidence in men by 50-60%...
- Acceptability of male circumcision for prevention of HIV infection in ZambiaM D Lukobo
Chicago State University, USA
AIDS Care 19:471-7. 2007Numerous observational studies and three clinical trials have shown male circumcision (MC) to be partially protective against HIV acquisition in heterosexual men...
- Male circumcision at different ages in Rwanda: a cost-effectiveness studyAgnes Binagwaho
Ministry of Health, Kigali, Rwanda
PLoS Med 7:e1000211. 2010There is strong evidence showing that male circumcision (MC) reduces HIV infection and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs). In Rwanda, where adult HIV prevalence is 3%, MC is not a traditional practice...
- Effect of male circumcision on the prevalence of high-risk human papillomavirus in young men: results of a randomized controlled trial conducted in Orange Farm, South AfricaBertran Auvert
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, University of Versailles, France
J Infect Dis 199:14-9. 2009..The objective of the present study was to investigate the association between male circumcision (MC) and the prevalence of HR-HPV among young men.
- Acceptability of male circumcision as a tool for preventing HIV infection in a highly infected community in South AfricaEmmanuel Lagarde
INSERM U88, Saint Maurice, France
AIDS 17:89-95. 2003Because a growing body of evidence suggests that male circumcision (MC) is associated with a reduced risk of HIV infection in Africa, it is being considered as a potential prevention tool to reduce the spread of infection...
- Framing male circumcision to promote its adoption in different settingsFranklin D Gilliam
Department of Public Policy, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
AIDS Behav 14:1207-11. 2010The effectiveness of male circumcision in preventing transmission of HIV from females to males has been established...
- Susceptibility to human immunodeficiency virus-1 infection of human foreskin and cervical tissue grown in explant cultureBruce K Patterson
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois 60614, USA
Am J Pathol 161:867-73. 2002Numerous studies have indicated a protective effect of male circumcision against acquisition of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1. We investigated mechanisms responsible for the possible increased HIV-1 susceptibility of human foreskin...
- Acceptability of male circumcision for prevention of HIV infection in MalawiRebecca C Ngalande
Kamuzu College of Nursing, Blantyre, Malawi
AIDS Behav 10:377-85. 2006Numerous epidemiological and biological studies report male circumcision (MC) to have a significant protective effect against HIV-1 acquisition...
- Risk compensation in HIV prevention: implications for vaccines, microbicides, and other biomedical HIV prevention technologiesLisa A Eaton
University of Connecticut, Department of Psychology, 406 Babbidge Road, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 4:165-72. 2007..on risk compensation in response to HIV vaccines, topical microbicides, antiretroviral medications, and male circumcision. Behavioral risk compensation is evident in response to prevention technologies that are used in advance of HIV ..
- Male circumcision as an HIV control strategy: not a 'natural condom'K Bonner
Graduate Entry Programme, St George s Hospital Medical School, Cranmer Terrace, London SW17 0RE, UK
Reprod Health Matters 9:143-55. 2001..studies have shown fairly convincingly that in high-risk populations in sub-Saharan Africa, male circumcision is associated with a reduced risk of HIV infection...
- Male circumcision and Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia trachomatis and Trichomonas vaginalis: observations after a randomised controlled trial for HIV preventionJ Sobngwi-Tambekou
INSERM U687, Hopital Paul Brousse, Villejuif, France
Sex Transm Infect 85:116-20. 2009To assess the association between male circumcision and Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia trachomatis and Trichomonas vaginalis using data from a male circumcision randomised controlled trial.
- Male circumcision and its relationship to HIV infection in South Africa: results of a national survey in 2002Catherine Connolly
Medical Research Council, Durban
S Afr Med J 98:789-94. 2008To investigate the nature of male circumcision and its relationship to HIV infection.
- Circumcision among men who have sex with men in Scotland: limited potential for HIV preventionLisa M McDaid
MRC CSO Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, Glasgow, UK
Sex Transm Infect 86:404-6. 2010Male circumcision has been shown to reduce the risk of HIV acquisition among heterosexual men but the impact among men who have sex with men (MSM) is not known...
- "Just a snip"?: a social history of male circumcisionPeter Aggleton
Thomas Coram Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London, London, UK
Reprod Health Matters 15:15-21. 2007
- Circumcision and human papillomavirus infection in men: a site-specific comparisonB Y Hernandez
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
J Infect Dis 197:787-94. 2008Lack of circumcision has been identified as a risk factor for male genital human papillomavirus (HPV) infection, although this association has not been consistently supported.
- Male circumcision and risk of HIV infection in women: a systematic review and meta-analysisHelen A Weiss
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Lancet Infect Dis 9:669-77. 2009Male circumcision provides long-term indirect protection to women by reducing the risk of heterosexual men becoming infected with HIV...
- Risk compensation is not associated with male circumcision in Kisumu, Kenya: a multi-faceted assessment of men enrolled in a randomized controlled trialChristine L Mattson
School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e2443. 2008Three randomized controlled trials (RCTs) have confirmed that male circumcision (MC) significantly reduces acquisition of HIV-1 infection among men...
- Initial commitment to pre-exposure prophylaxis and circumcision for HIV prevention amongst Indian truck driversJohn A Schneider
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e11922. 2010Studies of HIV prevention interventions such as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PREP) and circumcision in India are limited...
- Willingness to be circumcised for preventing HIV among Chinese men who have sex with menYuhua Ruan
State Key Laboratory for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control and National Center for AIDS STD Control and Prevention NCAIDS, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention China CDC, Beijing, China
AIDS Patient Care STDS 23:315-21. 2009Male circumcision can reduce the risk of HIV acquisition among heterosexual men, but its effectiveness is uncertain in men who have sex with men (MSM)...
- Significant reduction in HIV prevalence according to male circumcision intervention in sub-Saharan AfricaGregory J Londish
School of Mathematics and Statistics, University of New South Wales, Sydney 2052 NSW, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 37:1246-53. 2008Observations that reduced adult HIV prevalence in sub-Saharan Africa correlated with levels of male circumcision (MC), have suggested that MC could be used as a preventative measure against HIV infection...
- Why circumcision is a biomedical imperative for the 21(st) centuryBrian J Morris
School of Medical Sciences and Bosch Institute, Building F13, The University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
Bioessays 29:1147-58. 2007b>Circumcision of males represents a surgical "vaccine" against a wide variety of infections, adverse medical conditions and potentially fatal diseases over their lifetime, and also protects their sexual partners...
- Associations between male anogenital human papillomavirus infection and circumcision by anatomic site sampled and lifetime number of female sex partnersCarrie M Nielson
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, USA
J Infect Dis 199:7-13. 2009Male circumcision may lower men's risk of human papillomavirus (HPV) infection and reduce transmission to sex partners. Reported associations between circumcision and HPV infection in men have been inconsistent.
- Penile cancer: importance of circumcision, human papillomavirus and smoking in in situ and invasive diseaseJanet R Daling
Program in Epidemiology, Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Int J Cancer 116:606-16. 2005..Little information is available on the role and timing of circumcision in the etiology of penile cancer...
- Male circumcision: an acceptable strategy for HIV prevention in BotswanaP Kebaabetswe
The Botswana Harvard AIDS Institute Partnership, Private Bag BO 320, Bontleng, Gaborone, Botswana
Sex Transm Infect 79:214-9. 2003Male circumcision is known to reduce the risk of acquiring HIV, but few studies have been performed to assess its acceptability among either children or adults in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Potential for an intervention based on male circumcision in a South African town with high levels of HIV infectionR C Rain-Taljaard
Progressus Research and Development Consultnacy CC, Johannesburg, South Africa
AIDS Care 15:315-27. 2003The study aims to investigate the potential for an intervention based on male circumcision in a South African town with a high level of HIV infection...
- Acceptability of adult male circumcision for sexually transmitted disease and HIV prevention in ZimbabweDaniel T Halperin
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Sex Transm Dis 32:238-9. 2005
- The acceptability of male circumcision as an HIV intervention among a rural Zulu population, Kwazulu-Natal, South AfricaB E Scott
Environmental Health Group, Disease and Vector Control Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
AIDS Care 17:304-13. 2005Epidemiological and biological studies provide compelling evidence for the protective effect of male circumcision against the acquisition of HIV...
- Male circumcision in Slovenia: results from a national probability sample surveyI Klavs
AIDS STI HAI Unit, Communicable Diseases Centre, Institute of Public Health of the Republic of Slovenia, Trubarjeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Sex Transm Infect 84:49-50. 2008To estimate the prevalence of male circumcision and to explore its association with demographic characteristics and self-reported sexually transmitted infection (STI) diagnosis in Slovenia.
- Adult male circumcision outcomes: experience in a developing country settingJohn N Krieger
Department of Urology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Urol Int 78:235-40. 2007We examined male circumcision outcomes among young adults in an African setting.
- Male circumcision to reduce sexual transmission of HIVDavid J Templeton
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of New South Wales, Australia
Curr Opin HIV AIDS 5:344-9. 2010Three large trials among African heterosexual men in the last decade have confirmed that male circumcision reduces HIV acquisition...
- Lidocaine 4% cream compared with lidocaine 2.5% and prilocaine 2.5% or dorsal penile block for circumcisionVictoria Tutag Lehr
Department of Pharmacy Practice, The Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Pediatric Pharmacology Research Unit, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Am J Perinatol 22:231-7. 2005..5% and prilocaine 2.5% (EMLA) or dorsal penile block (DPNB) for analgesia during circumcision. Healthy, term males (n = 54), younger than 1 week old undergoing circumcision were randomly assigned to open-..
- Circumcision and HIV prevention among men who have sex with men: no final wordSten H Vermund
JAMA 300:1698-700. 2008
- Male circumcision and HIV prevention: current knowledge and future research directionsR C Bailey
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Illinois, Chicago 60612, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 1:223-31. 2001..the past decade, numerous epidemiological studies have reported a significant association between lack of male circumcision and risk for HIV infection, leading to recommendations for male circumcision to be added to the armamentarium ..
- Does sex in the early period after circumcision increase HIV-seroconversion risk? Pooled analysis of adult male circumcision clinical trialsSupriya D Mehta
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
AIDS 23:1557-64. 2009To evaluate whether sexual intercourse soon after adult male circumcision affected HIV risk.
- Prevention of HIV transmission in the UK: what is the role of male circumcision?Abigail Macdonald
Sex Transm Infect 84:158-60. 2008
- Acceptability of male circumcision among mothers with male children in Mysore, IndiaPurnima Madhivanan
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 7350, USA
AIDS 22:983-8. 2008There is currently little information on the acceptability of male circumcision in India. This study investigated the acceptability of male circumcision among Indian mothers with male children.
- The effect of circumcision status on periurethral and glanular bacterial floraCuneyt Gunsar
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Celal Bayar University Medical Faculty, Manisa, Turkey
Urol Int 72:212-5. 2004b>Circumcision is a historical operation which is still performed for different purposes...
- Analgesia for circumcision: effects on newborn behavior and mother/infant interactionJ K Macke
Capital University, Columbus, OH 43209, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 30:507-14. 2001To test the effectiveness of acetaminophen for pain management during and after circumcision.
- Circumcision in Australia: prevalence and effects on sexual healthJuliet Richters
National Centre in HIV Social Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Int J STD AIDS 17:547-54. 2006..4%) are used to assess the prevalence of circumcision across social groups in Australia and examine lifetime history of sexually transmissible infection (STI), ..
- Fleeting foreskins: the misclassification of male circumcision statusR A Diseker
Kaiser Permanente, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Sex Transm Dis 28:330-5. 2001BACKGROUND: Errors in the classification of male circumcision status could bias studies linking infection to lack of circumcision...
- Male circumcision for HIV prevention: developments from sub-Saharan AfricaGuy de Bruyn
Perinatal HIV Research Unit, New Nurses Home, Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, Chris Hani Road, Johannesburg, South Africa
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 8:23-31. 2010The demonstration of a strong effect of male circumcision on reducing HIV acquisition has provided impetus for this intervention to be adopted more widely in areas of the world where HIV prevalence is high and rates of male circumcision ..
- Male circumcision for the prevention of HSV-2 and HPV infections and syphilisAaron A R Tobian
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
N Engl J Med 360:1298-309. 2009Male circumcision significantly reduced the incidence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection among men in three clinical trials...
- Male circumcision for the prevention of acquisition and transmission of sexually transmitted infections: the case for neonatal circumcisionAaron A R Tobian
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:78-84. 2010The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) male circumcision policy states that while there are potential medical benefits of newborn male circumcision, the data are insufficient to recommend routine neonatal circumcision...
- The prepuce and circumcision: dual application as a graftGurcan Aslan
Ankara Hastanesi, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department, Ankara, Turkey
Ann Plast Surg 52:199-203. 2004b>Circumcision is probably one of the first plastic surgery operations that has been used for centuries...
- Male and female circumcision associated with prevalent HIV infection in virgins and adolescents in Kenya, Lesotho, and TanzaniaDevon D Brewer
Interdisciplinary Scientific Research, Seattle, WA 98115, USA via www interscientific net contact html
Ann Epidemiol 17:217-26. 2007..Many observers in this region have recognized the potential for HIV transmission through unhygienic circumcision procedures...
- Can HIV incidence testing be used for evaluating HIV intervention programs? A reanalysis of the Orange Farm male circumcision trial (ANRS-1265)Agnes Fiamma
Department of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles Program in Global Health, Johannesburg, South Africa
BMC Infect Dis 10:137. 2010The objective of this study was to estimate the effect of male circumcision (MC) on HIV acquisition estimated using HIV incidence assays and to compare it to the effect measured by survival analysis.
- Behavioral aspects of male circumcision for the prevention of HIV infectionLisa Eaton
Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 6:187-93. 2009Male circumcision (MC) can prevent female-to-male HIV transmission and has the potential to significantly alter HIV epidemics. The ultimate impact of MC on HIV prevention will be determined, in part, by behavioral factors...
- Circumcision and HIV infection: review of the literature and meta-analysisR S Van Howe
Department of Pediatrics, Marshfield Clinic, Lakeland Center, USA
Int J STD AIDS 10:8-16. 1999..a number of abstracts have been published in the medical literature looking at the relationship between male circumcision and HIV infection...
- The safety of adult male circumcision in HIV-infected and uninfected men in Rakai, UgandaGodfrey Kigozi
Rakai Health Sciences Program, Entebbe, Uganda
PLoS Med 5:e116. 2008The objective of the study was to compare rates of adverse events (AEs) related to male circumcision (MC) in HIV-positive and HIV-negative men in order to provide guidance for MC programs that may provide services to HIV-infected and ..
- Varieties of male circumcision: a study from KenyaJ E Brown
Chogoria Hospital, Chogoria, Kenya
Sex Transm Dis 28:608-12. 2001Because male circumcision has been linked to a lower risk of HIV infection, it is advocated tentatively as a possible preventive intervention. Most studies, however, have relied on men's self-reports of their circumcision status.
- Risk of HIV infection but not other sexually transmitted diseases is lower among homeless Muslim men in KolkataArunansu Talukdar
Calcutta National Medical College, Calcutta, India
AIDS 21:2231-5. 2007..To compare the risk of HIV and sexually transmitted diseases (STD) among homeless Muslim (circumcised) and Hindu (uncircumcised) men in Kolkata, India...
- Acceptability of male circumcision for the prevention of HIV/AIDS in the Dominican RepublicMaximo O Brito
Section of Infectious Diseases and the School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e7687. 2009Male circumcision (MC) is an effective strategy to prevent HIV infection in heterosexual men. To our knowledge, there are no studies of the acceptability of this procedure in the Dominican Republic (DR)...
- Association of oncogenic and nononcogenic human papillomavirus with HIV incidenceBertran Auvert
INSERM U687, 16 Avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, 94804 Villejuif, France
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53:111-6. 2010..Little is known about the interaction between human papillomavirus (HPV) and HIV. This study aimed to explore the association of oncogenic (high risk) and nononcogenic (low risk) HPV with HIV incidence...
- Complications of circumcision in Israel: a one year multicenter surveyJacob Ben Chaim
Pediatric Urology Unit, Dana Children s Hospital, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 7:368-70. 2005In Israel, virtually all children undergo circumcision in the neonatal period...
- Effect of circumcision on incidence of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and other sexually transmitted diseases: a prospective cohort study of trucking company employees in KenyaL Lavreys
Departments of Epidemiology, Medicine, and Biostatistics, University of Washington, Seattle 98104 2499, USA
J Infect Dis 180:330-6. 1999To determine the effect of circumcision status on acquisition of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) type 1 and other sexually transmitted diseases, a prospective cohort study of 746 HIV-1-seronegative trucking company employees was ..
- Circumcision among adolescent boys in rural northwestern TanzaniaHelen A Weiss
Infectious Disease Epidemiology Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 13:1054-61. 2008Male circumcision reduces risk of HIV among heterosexual men by about 60%. Modelling the impact of circumcision on HIV transmission, and planning service expansion, relies on self-reported circumcision status...
- Male circumcision and HIV prevention: ethical, medical and public health tradeoffs in low-income countriesStuart Rennie
Department of Dental Ecology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
J Med Ethics 33:357-61. 2007
- Effect of HSV-2 serostatus on acquisition of HIV by young men: results of a longitudinal study in Orange Farm, South AfricaJoëlle Sobngwi-Tambekou
INSERM U687, Villejuif, France
J Infect Dis 199:958-64. 2009..of this study were to assess the impact among young men of herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) status on the acquisition of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and on the protective effect of male circumcision against HIV acquisition.
- Male circumcision in Siaya and Bondo Districts, Kenya: prospective cohort study to assess behavioral disinhibition following circumcisionKawango E Agot
Research and Development Organization, Kisumu, Kenya
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 44:66-70. 2007Evidence for efficacy of male circumcision as an HIV prevention measure is increasing, but there is serious concern that men who are circumcised may subsequently adopt more risky sexual behaviors.
- Adult male circumcision does not reduce the risk of incident Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia trachomatis, or Trichomonas vaginalis infection: results from a randomized, controlled trial in KenyaSupriya D Mehta
Department of Epidemiology, University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Infect Dis 200:370-8. 2009We examined the effect of male circumcision on the acquisition of 3 nonulcerative sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- HIV and male circumcision--a systematic review with assessment of the quality of studiesN Siegfried
South African Cochrane Centre, Medical Research Council, South Africa
Lancet Infect Dis 5:165-73. 2005This Cochrane systematic review assesses the evidence for an interventional effect of male circumcision in preventing acquisition of HIV-1 and HIV-2 by men through heterosexual intercourse...
- Dynamics of male circumcision practices in northwest TanzaniaS Nnko
National Institute for Medical Research, The Tanzania-Netherlands Project to Support AIDS Control in Mwanza Region
Sex Transm Dis 28:214-8. 2001BACKGROUND: Male circumcision status is considered an important cofactor in the spread of HIV and sexually transmitted disease. There is limited evidence that male circumcision practices in Africa may be changing...
- Male circumcision for HIV prevention: from evidence to action?Helen A Weiss
AIDS 22:567-74. 2008
- Neonatal facial coding system scores and spectral characteristics of infant crying during newborn circumcisionVictoria Tutag Lehr
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Children s Hospital of Michigan, 3901 Beaubien, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Clin J Pain 23:417-24. 2007To determine the relations between Neonatal Facial Coding System (NFCS) scores and measures of infant crying during newborn circumcision.
- The effect of male circumcision on sexual satisfaction and function, results from a randomized trial of male circumcision for human immunodeficiency virus prevention, Rakai, UgandaGodfrey Kigozi
Rakai Health Sciences Program, Entebbe, Uganda
BJU Int 101:65-70. 2008To investigate the relationship between adult male circumcision and sexual satisfaction and function in men, as observational studies on the effect of adult male circumcision on sexual satisfaction show conflicting results.
- Male circumcision, religion, and infectious diseases: an ecologic analysis of 118 developing countriesPaul K Drain
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, USA
BMC Infect Dis 6:172. 2006Both religious practices and male circumcision (MC) have been associated with HIV and other sexually-transmitted infectious diseases...
- Sexual satisfaction of women partners of circumcised men in a randomized trial of male circumcision in Rakai, UgandaGodfrey Kigozi
Rakai Health Sciences Program, Entebbe, Uganda
BJU Int 104:1698-701. 2009To investigate the effect of adult medical male circumcision on female sexual satisfaction.
- Penile sensitivity and sexual satisfaction after circumcision: are we informing men correctly?S Masood
Department of Urology, Medway Maritime Hospital, Gillingham, UK
Urol Int 75:62-6. 2005Currently no consensus exists about the role of the foreskin or the effect circumcision has on penile sensitivity and overall sexual satisfaction...
- The increasing incidence of newborn circumcision: data from the nationwide inpatient sampleCaleb P Nelson
Department of Urology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0330, USA
J Urol 173:978-81. 2005Newborn circumcision is the most common surgical procedure in the United States, yet there are few contemporary data regarding circumcision rates or the factors that affect these rates...
- Male circumcision and risk of HIV infection among heterosexual African American men attending Baltimore sexually transmitted disease clinicsLee Warner
Division of Reproductive Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
J Infect Dis 199:59-65. 2009Male circumcision has received international attention as an intervention for reducing HIV infection among high-risk heterosexual men; however, few US studies have evaluated its association with the risk of HIV infection.
- Determinants and policy implications of male circumcision in the United StatesArleen A Leibowitz
Department of Public Policy, UCLA School of Public Affairs, Box 951656, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1656, USA
Am J Public Health 99:138-45. 2009We sought to determine whether lack of state Medicaid coverage for infant male circumcision correlates with lower circumcision rates.
- High rate of adverse events following circumcision of young male adults with the Tara KLamp technique: a randomised trial in South AfricaEmmanuel Lagarde
INSERM U687, IFR69, Villejuif, France
S Afr Med J 99:163-9. 2009..The Tara KLamp (TK) device has been claimed to enable circumcisions to be performed safely and easily in medical and non-medical environments. Published evaluation studies have been conducted among young children only...
- Acceptability of infant male circumcision as part of HIV prevention and male reproductive health efforts in Gaborone, Botswana, and surrounding areasRebeca M Plank
Division of Infectious Diseases, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
AIDS Behav 14:1198-202. 2010Adult male circumcision reduces a man's risk for heterosexual HIV acquisition. Infant circumcision is safer, easier and less costly but not widespread in southern Africa...
- Circumcision and reduced risk of self-reported penile coital injuries: results from a randomized controlled trial in Kisumu, KenyaSupriya D Mehta
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Urol 184:203-9. 2010..We identified risks of self-reported penile coital injuries in men 18 to 24 years old in a randomized trial of circumcision to prevent HIV in Kisumu, Kenya.
- Circumcision of the young infant in a developing country using the PlastibellK P Manji
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Muhimbili University of Health Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Ann Trop Paediatr 20:101-4. 2000b>Circumcision of the male infant by conventional methods is common practice in Tanzania...
- Cost-effectiveness of adult circumcision in a resource-rich setting for HIV prevention among men who have sex with menJonathan Anderson
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of New South Wales, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010, Australia
J Infect Dis 200:1803-12. 2009We examined the effects and cost-effectiveness of 4 strategies of circumcision in a resource-rich setting (Australia) in a population of men who have sex with men (MSM).
- Male circumcision in the United States for the prevention of HIV infection and other adverse health outcomes: report from a CDC consultationDawn K Smith
National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, MS E 45, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Public Health Rep 125:72-82. 2010..held a two-day consultation with a broad spectrum of stakeholders to obtain input on the potential role of male circumcision (MC) in preventing transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in the U.S...
- Circumcision for HIV prevention: failure to fully account for behavioral risk compensationSeth Kalichman
PLoS Med 4:e138; author reply e146. 2007
- Self-report is a valid measure of circumcision status in homosexual menD J Templeton
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, The University of New South Wales, Level 2, 376 Victoria Street, Sydney NSW 2010, Australia
Sex Transm Infect 84:187-8. 2008Misreporting of circumcision status may affect observed relationships between circumcision status and HIV or other sexually transmissible infections...
- Medical circumcision and manhood initiation rituals in the Eastern Cape, South Africa: a post intervention evaluationKarl Peltzer
Human Sciences Research Council and University of the Free State, South Africa
Cult Health Sex 11:83-97. 2009The objectives of this study were first, to report the adverse events reported following male circumcision performed by medical professionals after a one-day training workshop; second, to report on the attitudes towards, beliefs ..
- Acceptability and feasbility of the HPV vaccine schedule in female sex workersBRANDON JOHN BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2010..will include HPV and other health related areas of interest including drug use, HIV, HTLV, condom use, male circumcision and obesity...
- Enhanced Provision of Male Circumcision for HIV Prevention, Rakai, UgandaRonald H Gray; Fiscal Year: 2013..and 85% of Ugandans reside in rural areas, where there is an urgent need to increase coverage of male circumcision (MC)...
- An HIV Prevention Program for Mochudi, BotswanaMyron E Essex; Fiscal Year: 2012..routine, opt-out HIV testing;(2) education to encourage behavior modification, including condom use;(3) male circumcision;and (4) three-drug HAART for HIV-infected persons with acute infections and/or high viral loads (VL)...
- HIV Prevention for Batswana Youth: Adaptation of an Evidence-Based InterventionJanet S St Lawrence; Fiscal Year: 2013..to AZT, prevention of mother to child transmission, an extensive network of VCT centers, and a nationwide male circumcision program...
- The Problem With Male Sexual/Repro Health:Qualitative/Quantitative Study, UgandaMaria J Wawer; Fiscal Year: 2013..adoption of currently proven methods of sexual HIV/STI risk reduction, including consistent condom use and male circumcision (MC). Men also influence partners'use of contraception...
- HIV PREVALENCE, SEXUAL BEHAVIOR, AND ATTITUDES TOWARD CIRCUMCISION: COLOMBIAN MSMMaria Cecilia Zea; Fiscal Year: 2012..Moreover, it will evaluate the protection against HIV afforded by circumcision among MSM in Colombia...
- Rakai Adolescent Project (RAP)John S Santelli; Fiscal Year: 2013..post anti-retroviral (ARV) treatment generation, and young people who have come of age after the advent of male circumcision (MC) availability...
- MALE CIRCUMCISION FOR HIV PREVENTION IN KENYA: EFFECTIVE STRATEGIES TO RECRUIT OLKawango Agot; Fiscal Year: 2013Title: Male Circumcision for HIV Prevention in Kenya: Seeking effective strategies to recruit older men Background: In Kenya, 1.4-1.6 million people are living with HIV, with an adult prevalence of 6.3%...
- Infant Male Circumcision in Botswana: Feasibility, Safety and AcceptabilityREBECA MILANESI PLANK; Fiscal Year: 2012..Although adult male circumcision has been shown reduced the acquisition of HIV by more than 50%, circumcision in infancy is optimal for its ..
- The effect of the penile microbiome on BV, GUD, and genital epithelial traumaSUPRIYA DINESH MEHTA; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Medical male circumcision (MMC) reduces the risk of heterosexual HIV acquisition in African men by 60%...
- Environmental/Behavioral Factors Shaping Circumcision Decisions in ZimbabweDaniel E Montano; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Male circumcision (MC) has been clearly demonstrated to substantially reduce female to male transmission of HIV, and there is evolving consensus that MC should be included as a strategy in ..
- HIV/STI outcomes from male circumcision in men and female partners: Kisumu, KenyaSUPRIYA DINESH MEHTA; Fiscal Year: 2010..Three randomized controlled trials (RCTs) have shown that medical male circumcision (MMC) reduces the risk of HIV acquisition in African men by ~60% over 18-24 months, and the WHO has endorsed ..
- Trial of Male Circumcision to Reduce HIV IncidenceRobert Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2009..by applicant): Over 40 epidemiological studies and one clinical trial have found a protective effect of male circumcision (MC) against HIV acquisition in men...
- VCT with Primary and Concurrent Partners to Prevent HIV Transmission Susan A Allen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Despite counseling and free services, only 10% of discordant couples with HIV- male partners request male circumcision (MC)...
- Genital Anaerobes, Inflammation and HIV Risk;RakaiLANCE BRADLEY PRICE; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will use data and samples collected during a trial of male circumcision (MC) to assess this hypothesis...
- Education and HIV risk among young people in a high prevalence countryBARBARA SENA MENSCH; Fiscal Year: 2013..to few technological successes in recent years, aside from demonstrating the partial effectiveness of male circumcision. Because an effective technology for mitigating HIV has not yet been developed, prevention efforts have focused ..
- Gender-Specific Combination HIV Prevention for Youth in High-Burden SettingsAnn Elizabeth Kurth; Fiscal Year: 2013..there is high HIV prevalence, high fertility rates, early onset of sex, frequent intergenerational sex and low circumcision prevalence are a high priority for developing and evaluating multi-component HIV prevention with a focus on ..
- Foreskin Mucosal Cellular Constituents &Effects of Circumcision on HIV/STI RiskKristine E Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..trials (RCTs) in Africa, including 2 conducted by Hopkins researchers in Uganda, demonstrate that adult male circumcision reduces HIV acquisition by 60% and herpes simplex virus-2 (HSV-2) acquisition...
- Circumcision: HIV/STIs and behaviors in a RCT and post-RCT surveillance;RakaiRonald H Gray; Fiscal Year: 2011..including one which is the basis for this proposal, and numerous observational studies demonstrate that male circumcision reduces male HIV acquisition...
- Natural History of HPV Infection in Men: The HIM StudyAnna R Giuliano; Fiscal Year: 2013..Assess whether age and circumcision status are independently associated with EGL incidence in men...
- Characterizing the role of male circumcision in HIV sexual transmissionMINH HIEN TRUONG DINH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Several randomized control clinical trials have demonstrated the protective benefit of male circumcision in reducing the risk of HIV acquisition in men...
- Impact Evaluation of Combination HIV Prevention Interventions in BotswanaMyron E Essex; Fiscal Year: 2013..rural communities to meet combination prevention goals of HIV Testing and Counseling (HTC), adult male circumcision (MC), AntiRetroviral Therapy (ART) for patients with AIDS or CD4 d 250, and Prevention of Mother-to-Child ..
- Assessing providers'reproductive counseling practice for South Africans with HIVLYNN TURNER MATTHEWS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Significance- Behavioral strategies, circumcision, antiretroviral therapy, and pre-exposure antiretroviral prophylaxis create opportunities for HIV-discordant ..
- Enhance Prevention in Couples (EPIC)Wafaa M El-Sadr; Fiscal Year: 2012..2) couple-focused counseling for decreasing sexual risk behavior and enhancing adherence with ART, and 3) circumcision for HIV negative male partners. The goals of this application are as follows: A...
- Survey of HIV-related Behaviors of the Maasai of TanzaniaAARON SIEGLER; Fiscal Year: 2010..sharing), sanctioned sex between unmarried warriors aged 15-29 and pre-pubescent girls aged 8-13, and female circumcision. Despite this unique risk profile and the large population of the Maasai tribe (estimates between 1/[unreadable]..
- Evaluation of the AccuCirc for Early Infant Male Circumcision in Nyanza, KenyaREBECA MILANESI PLANK; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Male circumcision (MC) is an effective, research-tested, evidence-based HIV prevention strategy that is cost-saving (1)...
- Oncogenic HPV, Mucosal Immune Response and Risk of HIV AcquisitionAaron A Tobian; Fiscal Year: 2013..Male circumcision reduces the risk of HIV and HR-HPV, demonstrating the critical role of the foreskin in acquisition and ..
- Sexual Risk Compensation and Male Circumcision Among Men in South AfricaJOANNE ELLEN MANTELL; Fiscal Year: 2012..With the recently initiated and imminent roll-out of three such partially efficacious strategies (medical male circumcision, microbicides, and oral pre-exposure prophylaxis), understanding sexual risk compensation is critical in the U...
- Preferences, expectations, and the prediction of health and economic behaviorHarsha Thirumurthy; Fiscal Year: 2013..At the same time, there is an increasing emphasis on the scale-up of HIV prevention interventions such as male circumcision. Understanding people's behavioral responses to declining life expectancy and their decisions to take-up ..
- Prevention Umbrella for MSM in the AmericasSusan Buchbinder; Fiscal Year: 2012..pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) (the use of antiretroviral medication for high-risk HIV uninfected person);male circumcision (highly effective for heterosexuals, not yet evaluated for MSM);treatment of stimulant use (many new promising ..
- Male Circumcision and Use of Foreskin Tissues for HIV Prevention in UgandaRonald H Gray; Fiscal Year: 2013Project Summary/ Abstract Medical male circumcision (MMC) reduces HIV acquisition in men, and viral STIs in men and women...
- PrEP for HIV Prevention in MSM: Mixed-Methods Study of Behavior &Message FramingKristen Underhill; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our findings may generalize to other partially efficacious HIV prevention strategies, such as vaccines and circumcision. Future research plans include developing behavioral interventions to optimize PrEP use among MSM...
- An Innovative Educational Intervention for Newborn Medical Male CircumcisionJessy G Devieux; Fiscal Year: 2013..One approach that the Government of Haiti is considering is newborn medical male circumcision (NMMC)...
- Tracking Risk Compensation Over Time in a National MC Roll-Out in ZimbabweDaniel E Montano; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Male circumcision (MC) is currently one of the most effective biomedical HIV-prevention strategies that can be implemented in high HIV prevalence countries (Auvert, et al, 2005;Gray, et al...
- Comprehensive HIV Prevention Package for MSM in Southern AfricaPATRICK SEAN SULLIVAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..for MSM in Southern Africa;developing a mathematical model that accounts for sex with men, sex with women, circumcision status, insertivity ratios, ARV use, and the risk environment to estimate the impact on HIV transmission of ..
- Integration of infant male circumcision with community health services in KenyaROBERT CONVERSE BAILEY; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Adult male circumcision (AMC) decreases female to male transmission of HIV by approximately 60%...
- Complete Genome Variation in Africans with Extreme HIV-1 Transmission PhenotypesJAIRAM RAO LINGAPPA; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., level of plasma HIV-1 in the infected parter, and male circumcision status in the uninfected partner) that modify HIV-1 exposure risk...
- Evaluating the impact of conditional cash transfers to increase uptake of medicalMARY HELEN LATKA; Fiscal Year: 2013Title: Evaluating the impact of conditional cash transfers to increase uptake of medical male circumcision among South African men. PI of the project Mary H. Latka, PhD MPH Other Key Personnel Gavin J...
- Increasing uptake of male circumcision among men aged 20-34 years in Iringa &TabMwita Wambura; Fiscal Year: 2013PROJECT SUMMARY/ABSTRACT Male circumcision provides partial protection against HIV acquisition in heterosexual men. In 2010, Tanzania launched a National Strategy for scaling up male circumcision, which aims to circumcise 2...
- Unintended and Intended Implications of HIV Cure: A Social and Ethical AnalysisJOSEPH DAVID TUCKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Some HIV control strategies such as male circumcision have been implemented with minimal research into their likely social and ethical implications, resulting in ..
- Statistical Methods to Study the Impact of HIV InterventionsNicholas P Jewell; Fiscal Year: 2012..we will develop methods that use population-based survey data to estimate the potential impact of population circumcision interventions, applying these methods to data from Lesotho...
- Multi-component, Targeted HIV Prevention for sub-Saharan Africa: PreventionRxConnie L Celum; Fiscal Year: 2012..g., male circumcision, ART) and behavioral HIV prevention packages to at-risk individuals...
- Center for HIV Identification, Prevention, and Treatment ServicesMary Jane Rotheram-Borus; Fiscal Year: 2013..mobile phones, point-of-care diagnostics, embedded sensing, the web, and social networking;and the success of circumcision, microbicides, one-minute HIV tests, and oral post- and pre-exposure prophylaxis...
- Highly Innovative Tactics to Interrupt Transmission of HIV (HIT-IT)RICHARD MASKIEWICZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..The current approach to prevention of HIV infection includes vaccines, male circumcision, partner reduction, and topical microbicides...
- CHAMPS: Choices for Adolescent Methods of Prevention in South AfricaLINDA GAIL GAIL BEKKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..menu of preferred options or combinations, including PrEP, microbicides, HIV Counseling and Testing (HCT) and circumcision. After a systematic review of the literature relating to these and other prevention options, pilot studies will ..
- A SIV/Rhesus Monkey Penile Mucosal Transmission ModelWENDY WEN LI YEH; Fiscal Year: 2011..Furthermore, the biologic basis underlying the protective effect of male circumcision in preventing HIV-1 acquisition in heterosexual men remains unclear...
- HIGH RISK COHORTS IN KENYA; PROSTITUTES AND TRUCKDRIVERSJoan Kreiss; Fiscal Year: 1993..to 1) determine-HIV seroincidence in each cohort, 2) identify correlates of HIV seroconversion, including STDS, circumcision status, cervical ectopy, and sexual practices, 3) determine the effect of circumcision status and cervical ..
- Methods to Advance the HIV Prevention Research AgendaVICTOR GERARD DEGRUTTOLA; Fiscal Year: 2013..progress in prevention from different uses of antiretroviral drugs (in PrEP, microbicides, and treatment), male circumcision, and possibly vaccine has been noteworthy but modest...
- Effects of Male Circumcision on Human Penile EpitheliaThomas Hope; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Male circumcision has been shown to be clinically effective in reducing HIV acquisition rates in African men...
- Increasing Availability and Acceptability of Circumcision in ZambiaStephen M Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Male circumcision (MC) has been proven to be a potent HIV prevention strategy in Southern and Eastern Africa, reducing risk of HIV acquisition in men by 50-60%...
- Traditional Male Circumcision in Malawi and HIV PreventionJudith Levy; Fiscal Year: 2009..is designed to examine and understand the cultural norms, beliefs and practices surrounding traditional male circumcision rites (Jando) as the context and mechanism through which definitions of manhood, health and illness, and the ..
- BEHAVIORAL AND HORMONAL RESPONSES TO STRESS IN INFANTSMegan Gunnar; Fiscal Year: 1990..In the experiments with newborns, ecologically relevant stressors such as circumcision, Guthrie blood-tests, weighing and measuring, and discharge examinations will be studied...
- Natural History of HPV Infections in MenLaura Koutsky; Fiscal Year: 2009..define risk 'factors for incident HPV infection, including lifetime and recent number of sex partners, circumcision status, condom use, frequency of vaginal intercourse, and courtship behavior;and (3) describe the natural ..
- AFFECTIVE DEVELOPMENT IN HUMAN INFANTSELLIOTT BLASS; Fiscal Year: 1991..Preliminary evidence in human infants during circumcision demonstrates a diminution of pain by glucose and sucrose...
- HIV Behavioral Disinbition Risk Reduction for Recently Circumcised South Africa MLeickness Simbayi; Fiscal Year: 2009Male circumcision (MC) reduces the risk for HIV infection among men in South Africa...
- Prevention of HIV/AIDSAndrew Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., microbicides, circumcision) as well as alternative approaches to AIDS prevention (therapeutic vaccines) should help us better understand ..
- Male Circumcision Trial for HIV Prevention, Rakai-UgandaRonald Gray; Fiscal Year: 2006Observational studies suggest that male circumcision is protective against HIV and STD acquisition. In Rakai, Uganda, we observed an HIV incidence of 0.9/100 Py in circumcised and 1.8/100 py in uncircumcised men (adjusted RR=0.53)...
- STDS, FERTILITY, MARRIAGE AND DEMOGRAPHIC PROJECTIONRonald Gray; Fiscal Year: 2002..In collaboration with the U.S. Bureau of Census, data from the proposed study will be used to revise demographic projections of the effects of HIV on population growth, composition and AIDS orphanhood. ..