Genomes and Genes
Summary: The resection or removal of the nerve to an organ or part. (Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications301 found, 100 shown here
- Denervation causes fiber atrophy and myosin heavy chain co-expression in senescent skeletal muscleSharon L Rowan
Muscle and Aging Laboratory, Faculty of Kinesiology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e29082. 2012Although denervation has long been implicated in aging muscle, the degree to which it is causes the fiber atrophy seen in aging muscle is unknown...
- First-in-man safety evaluation of renal denervation for chronic systolic heart failure: primary outcome from REACH-Pilot studyJustin E Davies
National Heart and Lung Institute, International Centre for Circulatory Health, Imperial College London and Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London, UK
Int J Cardiol 162:189-92. 2013Sympathetic overactivation, is reduced by renal denervation in drug-resistant hypertension...
- The role of renal denervation in the treatment of heart failurePaul A Sobotka
Medtronic Inc, Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Curr Cardiol Rep 14:285-92. 2012..In animal models of heart failure, surgical renal denervation has been shown to improve both renal and ventricular function...
- ESH position paper: renal denervation - an interventional therapy of resistant hypertensionRoland E Schmieder
University Hospital Erlangen, Nephrology and Hypertension, Erlangen, Germany
J Hypertens 30:837-41. 2012..and practical recommendations on the application of percutaneous transluminal ablation of renal nerves [renal denervation (RDN)] as a novel therapeutic strategy for the treatment of resistant hypertension...
- Regeneration of myenteric plexus in the mouse colon after experimental denervation with benzalkonium chlorideMenachem Hanani
Laboratory of Experimental Surgery, Hadassah University Hospital, Mount Scopus, Jerusalem 91240, Israel
J Comp Neurol 462:315-27. 2003..We conclude that the myenteric plexus is endowed with a considerable ability of regeneration and plasticity. The results provide evidence for the presence of stem cells and for an adult neurogenesis in this plexus...
- Effect of baroreceptor denervation on the autonomic control of arterial pressure in conscious miceFernanda Luciano Rodrigues
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto USP, Avenida Bandeirantes 3900, 14049 900, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Exp Physiol 96:853-62. 2011..in a femoral artery and a jugular vein, were submitted to sino-aortic (SAD), aortic (Ao-X) or carotid sinus denervation (Ca-X), 5 days prior to the experiments...
- Response and adaptation of skeletal muscle to denervation stress: the role of apoptosis in muscle lossParco M Siu
Department of Health Technology and Informatics, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
Front Biosci (Landmark Ed) 14:432-52. 2009..and ubiquitin-proteasome, apoptosis has been advocated as an important candidate in regulating denervation-induced muscle loss...
- Pulmonary vein denervation enhances long-term benefit after circumferential ablation for paroxysmal atrial fibrillationCarlo Pappone
Department of Cardiology, San Raffaele University Hospital, Via Olgettina 60, 20132, Milan, Italy
Circulation 109:327-34. 2004..This study assesses the incremental benefit of vagal denervation by radiofrequency in preventing recurrent AF in a large series of patients undergoing CPVA for paroxysmal AF.
- Non-motor dopamine withdrawal syndrome after surgery for Parkinson's disease: predictors and underlying mesolimbic denervationStephane Thobois
Universitée Lyon I, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Hopital Neurologique Pierre Wertheimer, Service de Neurologie C, Lyon, France
Brain 133:1111-27. 2010..Non-motor fluctuations are related to mesolimbic dopaminergic denervation. Apathy, depression and anxiety can occur after surgery as a delayed dopamine withdrawal syndrome...
- Cutaneous denervation of psoriasiform mouse skin improves acanthosis and inflammation in a sensory neuropeptide-dependent mannerStephen M Ostrowski
Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Invest Dermatol 131:1530-8. 2011..nerves innervating dorsal skin of KC-Tie2 animals were surgically axotomized and beginning 1 day after denervation, CD11c(+) cell numbers decreased by 40% followed by a 30% improvement in acanthosis at 7 days and a 30% ..
- A controlled trial of renal denervation for resistant hypertensionDeepak L Bhatt
From Brigham and Women s Hospital Heart and Vascular Center and Harvard Medical School D L B, L M, Boston University School of Public Health R D, and Harvard Clinical Research Institute R D, L M all in Boston Piedmont Heart Institute, Atlanta D E K the Division of Cardiology, Henry Ford Hospital W W O, and Wayne State University and the Detroit Medical Center J M F all in Detroit Baptist Cardiac and Vascular Institute, Miami B T K New York Presbyterian Hospital, Columbia University Medical Center, and Cardiovascular Research Foundation, New York M B L Medtronic CardioVascular, Santa Rosa, CA M L, M N, S A C University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham S O Prairie Heart Institute, Springfield, IL K R S Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia S A C, R R T and University of Chicago Medicine, Chicago G L B
N Engl J Med 370:1393-401. 2014Prior unblinded studies have suggested that catheter-based renal-artery denervation reduces blood pressure in patients with resistant hypertension.
- Comparison of commissural sprouting in the mouse and rat fascia dentata after entorhinal cortex lesionDomenico Del Turco
Institute of Clinical Neuroanatomy, J W Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Hippocampus 13:685-99. 2003..These data demonstrate an important species difference in the commissural/associational sprouting response between rats and mice that needs to be taken into account in future studies...
- Rapid β-amyloid deposition and cognitive impairment after cholinergic denervation in APP/PS1 miceJuan José Ramos-Rodríguez
Division of Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Cadiz, Cadiz, Spain
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 72:272-85. 2013..Tau phosphorylation was also significantly increased after the lesions. Cholinergic denervation resulted in early memory impairment at 3 months of age that worsened with age (∼7 months); there was a ..
- A randomized comparison of pulmonary vein isolation with versus without concomitant renal artery denervation in patients with refractory symptomatic atrial fibrillation and resistant hypertensionEvgeny Pokushalov
State Research Institute of Circulation Pathology, Novosibirsk, Russia
J Am Coll Cardiol 60:1163-70. 2012The aim of this prospective randomized study was to assess the impact of renal artery denervation in patients with a history of refractory atrial fibrillation (AF) and drug-resistant hypertension who were referred for pulmonary vein ..
- Proteasome-dependent activation of mammalian target of rapamycin complex 1 (mTORC1) is essential for autophagy suppression and muscle remodeling following denervationPham Nguyen Quy
Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
J Biol Chem 288:1125-34. 2013Drastic protein degradation occurs during muscle atrophy induced by denervation, fasting, immobility, and various systemic diseases...
- Activation of 5-HT(1A) but not 5-HT(1B) receptors attenuates an increase in extracellular dopamine derived from exogenously administered L-DOPA in the striatum with nigrostriatal denervationK Kannari
Third Department of Medicine and Department of Neurology, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Hirosaki, Japan
J Neurochem 76:1346-53. 2001In order to determine whether L-DOPA-derived extracellular dopamine (DA) in the striatum with dopaminergic denervation is affected by activation of serotonin autoreceptors (5-HT(1A) and 5-HT(1B) receptors), we applied in vivo brain ..
- Changes in serotonin, serotonin transporter expression and serotonin denervation supersensitivity: involvement in chronic central pain after spinal hemisection in the ratBryan C Hains
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Marine Biomedical Institute, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston 77555 1043, USA
Exp Neurol 175:347-62. 2002..Sham controls (n = 10) were unaffected. Thus, permanent changes occur in 5-HT and 5-HT(T) after SCI, denervation 5-HT supersensitivity develops, and modulation of 5-HT attenuates pain-related behaviors...
- Downregulation of glial glutamate transporters after dopamine denervation in the striatum of 6-hydroxydopamine-lesioned ratsE K Y Chung
Department of Biology, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong, China
J Comp Neurol 511:421-37. 2008..These results indicate that there are differential and distinct modulations of glutamate transporters after dopamine denervation in the 6-hydroxydopamine-lesioned rat.
- A decline in glial cell-line-derived neurotrophic factor expression is associated with impaired regeneration after long-term Schwann cell denervationA Hoke
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Exp Neurol 173:77-85. 2002..of growth factors, only GDNF mRNA expression was rapidly upregulated in Schwann cells as early as 48 h after denervation. This upregulation peaked at 1 week and then declined to minimal levels by 6 months of denervation...
- Randomized trial of radiofrequency lumbar facet denervation for chronic low back painM Van Kleef
Department of Anaesthesiology, Pain Management and Research Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:1937-42. 1999..A prospective double-blind randomized trial in 31 patients...
- Heterogeneous atrial denervation creates substrate for sustained atrial fibrillationJ E Olgin
Krannert Institute of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Circulation 98:2608-14. 1998..We hypothesized that heterogeneous sympathetic denervation with phenol would create a milieu for sustained AF.
- Unilateral entorhinal denervation leads to long-lasting dendritic alterations of mouse hippocampal granule cellsMario Vuksic
Institute of Clinical Neuroanatomy, Neuroscience Center, Goethe University, D 60590 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Exp Neurol 230:176-85. 2011..b>Denervation-induced dendritic reorganization of granule cells was investigated in the dentate gyrus of the Thy1-GFP mouse...
- Rapid disuse and denervation atrophy involve transcriptional changes similar to those of muscle wasting during systemic diseasesJennifer M Sacheck
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
FASEB J 21:140-55. 2007..RT-polymerase chain reaction to analyze changes in mRNA from rat gastrocnemius during disuse atrophy induced by denervation or spinal cord isolation...
- Structural reorganization of the dentate gyrus following entorhinal denervation: species differences between rat and mouseThomas Deller
Institute of Clinical Neuroanatomy, J W Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Prog Brain Res 163:501-28. 2007..perforant pathway transection is a classical model to study the response of the central nervous system (CNS) to denervation. This model has been extensively characterized in the rat to clarify mechanisms underlying denervation-induced ..
- Chronic variable stress and partial 5-HT denervation by parachloroamphetamine treatment in the rat: effects on behavior and monoamine neurochemistryJ Harro
Department of Psychology, University of Tartu, Tiigi 78, E 50410, Tartu, Estonia
Brain Res 899:227-39. 2001..sucrose intake or preference in non-deprived animals, but, instead, may increase it after partial 5-HT-ergic denervation; and that partial 5-HT-ergic denervation by a low dose PCA treatment has a long-lasting effect on forced ..
- Chronic decentralization of the heart differentially remodels canine intrinsic cardiac neuron muscarinic receptorsF M Smith
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4H7, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 281:H1919-30. 2001..Enhanced muscarinic responsiveness of intrinsic cardiac neurons occurs without changes in receptor abundance...
- Morphology of single olivocerebellar axons in the denervation-reinnervation model produced by subtotal lesion of the rat inferior oliveHanako Aoki
Department of Systems Neurophysiology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
Brain Res 1449:24-37. 2012..To elucidate the correlation between denervation-reinnervation processes and morphology of the whole axonal arbor, we reconstructed axonal trajectories of ..
- Effect of selective cholinergic denervation on the serotonergic system: implications for learning and memoryMonica Garcia-Alloza
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Centre for Applied Medical Research, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 65:1074-81. 2006..We compared selective cholinergic denervation by administration of the immunotoxin 192 IgG-saporin in the nucleus basalis of Meynert (NBM) with ..
- Contribution of the distal nerve sheath to nerve and muscle preservation following denervation and sensory protectionKaren Veltri
Department of Medical Sciences, Division of Behavioral Neurosciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Reconstr Microsurg 21:57-70; discussion 71-4. 2005..After a 6-month denervation period and motor reinnervation, ultrastructural, histologic, and morphometric analyses were performed on the ..
- Eligibility for percutaneous renal denervation: the importance of a systematic screeningWillemien L Verloop
Department of Vascular Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht The Netherlands
J Hypertens 31:1662-8. 2013Percutaneous renal denervation (pRDN) is a new and promising therapy for resistant hypertension...
- Mortality after carotid body denervation in ratsA Serra
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin and Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226-0509, USA
J Appl Physiol 91:1298-306. 2001Carotid body denervation (CBD) in neonatal goats and piglets results in minimal irregular breathing and no fatalities...
- Renal sympathetic denervation in patients with treatment-resistant hypertension after witnessed intake of medication before qualifying ambulatory blood pressureFadl Elmula Mohamed Fadl Elmula
Section for Cardiovascular and Renal Research, Department of Cardiology, Medical Clinic, Oslo University Hospital, Ulleval, Oslo, Norway
Hypertension 62:526-32. 2013It is unknown whether the decline in blood pressure (BP) after renal denervation (RDN) is caused by denervation itself or concomitantly improved drug adherence...
- Induction of ephrin-B1 and EphB receptors during denervation-induced plasticity in the adult mouse hippocampusYan Wang
Key Laboratory of Neurobiology, Shanghai Institute of Physiology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 320 Yue Yang Road, Shanghai 200031, PR China
Eur J Neurosci 21:2336-46. 2005..These results suggest that the ephrin-B1/EphB system may participate in the lesion-induced plasticity processes in the adult mouse hippocampus...
- Entrapment neuropathy results in different microRNA expression patterns from denervation injury in ratsCheng Shyuan Rau
Department of Neurosurgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taiwan
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:181. 2010To compare the microRNA (miRNA) expression profiles in neurons and innervated muscles after sciatic nerve entrapment using a non-constrictive silastic tube, subsequent surgical decompression, and denervation injury.
- Injection therapy and denervation procedures for chronic low-back pain: a systematic reviewNicholas Henschke
The George Institute for International Health, Sydney, Australia
Eur Spine J 19:1425-49. 2010Injection therapy and denervation procedures are commonly used in the management of chronic low-back pain (LBP) despite uncertainty regarding their effectiveness and safety...
- Prophylactic ventral cardiac denervation: does it reduce incidence of atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass grafting?Abbas Salehi Omran
Cardiovascular Surgery Department, Tehran Heart Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 140:1036-9. 2010This study assessed the prophylactic effect of ventral cardiac denervation on reducing atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass grafting.
- Calcium homeostasis of acutely denervated and lesioned dentate gyrus in organotypic entorhino-hippocampal co-culturesChristian M Müller
Institute of Clinical Neuroanatomy, Neuroscience Center, Goethe University Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Cell Calcium 47:242-52. 2010b>Denervation of neurons, e.g. upon traumatic injury or neuronal degeneration, induces transneuronal degenerative events, such as spine loss, dendritic pruning, and even cell loss...
- High-frequency stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus potentiates L-DOPA-induced neurochemical changes in the striatum in a rat model of Parkinson's diseaseAbid Oueslati
Developmental Biology Institute of Marseille Luminy, Unite Mixte de Recherche 6216, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Université de la Méditerranée, 13402 Marseille Cedex 20, France
J Neurosci 27:2377-86. 2007..They point to striatal cells as a primary site for the complex interactions between these two therapeutic approaches in PD and argue against a direct anti-dyskinetic action of STN-HFS...
- Role of chronic Schwann cell denervation in poor functional recovery after nerve injuries and experimental strategies to combat itOlawale A R Sulaiman
Department of Neurosurgery, Spine Center, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, Louisiana 70121, USA
Neurosurgery 65:A105-14. 2009To present our data about the role of chronic denervation (CD) of the distal nerve stumps as compared with muscle denervation atrophy and experimental strategies to promote better functional recovery.
- Radiofrequency denervation for neck and back pain: a systematic review within the framework of the cochrane collaboration back review groupLeena Niemistö
ORTON Orthopaedic Hospital, Invalid Foundation, Helsinki, Finland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:1877-88. 2003..Systematic review...
- Entorhinal denervation induces homeostatic synaptic scaling of excitatory postsynapses of dentate granule cells in mouse organotypic slice culturesAndreas Vlachos
Institute of Clinical Neuroanatomy, Neuroscience Center, Goethe University Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e32883. 2012b>Denervation-induced changes in excitatory synaptic strength were studied following entorhinal deafferentation of hippocampal granule cells in mature (≥ 3 weeks old) mouse organotypic entorhino-hippocampal slice cultures...
- Reserpine pretreatment prevents increases in extracellular striatal dopamine following L-DOPA administration in rats with nigrostriatal denervationK Kannari
Third Department of Medicine, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Japan
J Neurochem 74:263-9. 2000..striatum, extracellular DA stems mainly from vesicular storage sites and that in the striatum with dopaminergic denervation, a large part of the L-DOPA-derived extracellular DA is also derived from a vesicular pool that is released by ..
- Ventral cardiac denervation reduces the incidence of atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass graftingJoao Melo
Santa Cruz Hospital, Carnaxide, Portugal
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 127:511-6. 2004Because the autonomic nervous system is an important determinant in the appearance of atrial fibrillation, we have assessed the role of ventral cardiac denervation for its prevention.
- Leucoaraiosis, nigrostriatal denervation and motor symptoms in Parkinson's diseaseNicolaas I Bohnen
Department of Radiology and Neurology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 9755, USA
Brain 134:2358-65. 2011..studies have compared directly the effects of both leucoaraiosis and the degree of nigrostriatal dopaminergic denervation on motor features...
- Hepatic denervation impairs the assembly and secretion of VLDL-TAGFábio Luís Tavares
Molecular Biology of the Cell Group, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Cell Biochem Funct 26:557-65. 2008..Our aim was to investigate the effect of liver denervation upon the secretion of VLDL and the expression of proteins involved in this process...
- Up-regulation of uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) mRNA by exercise training and down-regulation of UCP3 by denervation in skeletal musclesN Tsuboyama-Kasaoka
Division of Clinical Nutrition, National Institute of Health and Nutrition, 1 23 1 Toyama, Tokyo, Shinjuku ku, 162 8636, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 247:498-503. 1998..These data indicate that UCP3 may have a role for fine adjustments of energy expenditure and that up-regulation of UCP3 mRNA may be a defense mechanism against extra energy supply to consume extra energy in skeletal muscles...
- Stereological analysis of the reorganization of the dentate gyrus following entorhinal cortex lesion in miceA L Phinney
Neuropathology Laboratory, Institute of Pathology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Neurosci 19:1731-40. 2004b>Denervation of the dentate gyrus by entorhinal cortex lesion has been widely used to study the reorganization of neuronal circuits following central nervous system lesion...
- Differentiated adipose-derived stem cells promote myelination and enhance functional recovery in a rat model of chronic denervationKoichi Tomita
Blond McIndoe Laboratories, Regenerative Biomedicine, The University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Manchester, UK
J Neurosci Res 90:1392-402. 2012..Schwann cells (SCs) is a promising approach for treating various peripheral nerve disorders, including chronic denervation. However, given their drawbacks, such as invasive biopsy and lengthy culture in vitro, alternative cell sources ..
- Multicenter, randomized, comparative cost-effectiveness study comparing 0, 1, and 2 diagnostic medial branch (facet joint nerve) block treatment paradigms before lumbar facet radiofrequency denervationSteven P Cohen
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Anesthesiology 113:395-405. 2010..Facet interventions are the second most frequently performed procedures in pain clinics across the United States. Currently, there are no uniformly accepted criteria regarding how best to select patients for radiofrequency denervation.
- Acute and chronic effects of carotid body denervation on ventilation and chemoreflexes in three rat strainsGary C Mouradian
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
J Physiol 590:3335-47. 2012....
- Wound healing in denervated tissueAllison R Barker
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Ann Plast Surg 57:339-42. 2006..Understanding the value of innervation, a goal of wound healing should be to seek strategies that provide reinnervation to these at-risk tissues...
- Accelerated response of the myogenin gene to denervation in mutant mice lacking phosphorylation of myogenin at threonine 87Chris S Blagden
Molecular Neurobiology Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University Medical School, New York, New York 10016, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:1983-9. 2004..in myogenin (myg) expression following innervation is delayed and that the increase in expression following denervation is accelerated in mutant mice lacking phosphorylation of myogenin at T87...
- Superior vestibular neurectomy: a novel transmeatal approach for a denervation of the superior and lateral semicircular canalsGeorg C Feigl
Institute of Anatomy, Medical University Graz, Graz, Austria
Otol Neurotol 30:586-91. 2009....
- Partial vagal denervation increases vulnerability to vagally induced atrial fibrillationMasamichi Hirose
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 13:1272-9. 2002..We hypothesized that vagal denervation of the HRA prevents both ERP shortening in the HRA and AF induction during vagal stimulation.
- Genetic influences on cellular reactions to CNS injury: the reactive response of astrocytes in denervated neuropil regions in mice carrying a mutation (Wld(S)) that causes delayed Wallerian degenerationO Steward
Department of Neuroscience, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville 22908, USA
J Comp Neurol 380:70-81. 1997....
- Insulin-like growth factor I slows the rate of denervation induced skeletal muscle atrophyThea Shavlakadze
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, 35, Stirling Highway, Crawley, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Neuromuscul Disord 15:139-46. 2005..The ability of insulin-like growth factor-1 to reduce atrophy resulting from denervation was examined after transection of the sciatic nerve in transgenic MLC/mIGF-1 mice that over-express mIGF-1 ..
- Expression of BDNF and TrkB in mouse taste buds after denervation and in circumvallate papillae during developmentNobuhiko Uchida
Department of Oral Surgery, School of Dentistry, Health Sciences University of Hokkaido, Tobetsu, Hokkaido, Japan
Arch Histol Cytol 66:17-25. 2003..Five days after denervation, the number of taste buds and nerve fibers markedly decreased; however, the remaining taste bud cells still ..
- Effect of denervation of the locus coeruleus projections by DSP-4 treatment on [3H]-raclopride binding to dopamine D(2) receptors and D(2) receptor-G protein interaction in the rat striatumJaanus Harro
Department of Psychology, Center of Behavioral and Health Sciences, University of Tartu, EE 50410, Tartu, Estonia
Brain Res 976:209-16. 2003..Subsequently, an upregulation of D(2) receptor binding sites develops in the striatum even after a minor denervation of the LC projections...
- Renal denervation abolishes hypertension in low-birth-weight offspring from pregnant rats with reduced uterine perfusionBarbara T Alexander
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Center for Excellence in Cardiovascular Renal Research, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 North State St, Jackson, MS 39216 4505, USA
Hypertension 45:754-8. 2005..were randomly assigned to either an intact group (sham-denervated) or a group subjected to bilateral renal denervation. For sham-denervated offspring, mean arterial pressure was significantly elevated in growth-restricted ..
- Distinct levels of dopamine denervation differentially alter striatal synaptic plasticity and NMDA receptor subunit compositionVincent Paille
Fondazione Santa Lucia, Instituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, 00179 Rome, Italy
J Neurosci 30:14182-93. 2010..Here we present a model of early PD in which a partial denervation, causing mild motor deficits, selectively affects NMDA-dependent LTP but not LTD and dramatically alters NMDA ..
- A critical review of the evidence for the use of zygapophysial injections and radiofrequency denervation in the treatment of low back painCurtis W Slipman
Penn Spine Center Research Group, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Ground Floor White Building, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Spine J 3:310-6. 2003..Once this diagnosis is made, decisions about when to institute a particular intervention and which treatment to offer is regionally and specialty dependent...
- Effects of capsaicin treatment on the regulation of ovarian compensatory hypertrophy and compensatory ovulationAngelica Trujillo
Unidad de Investigación en Biología de la Reproducción, Facultad de Estudios Superiores Zaragoza, UNAM, Mexico
Endocrine 25:155-62. 2004The present study investigates the effects of functional sensorial denervation, induced by administering capsaicin to hemiovariectomized adult female rats in each day of the estrus cycle, on ovulation and serum concentrations of estrogen ..
- Enhanced excitatory synaptic transmission in spiny neurons of rat striatum after unilateral dopamine denervationZ Pang
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, 635 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Neurosci Lett 308:201-5. 2001..Two to four weeks after dopamine denervation, the spontaneous firing rate of spiny neurons increased and the spontaneous membrane potential fluctuation ..
- Influence of noradrenaline denervation on MPTP-induced deficits in miceT Archer
Department of Psychology, University of Goteborg, Goteborg, Sweden
J Neural Transm 113:1119-29. 2006..parameters) was obtained thereby offering further evidence of an 'ultra-deficit' of function due to previous denervation of the NA terminals...
- Changes of immunocytochemical localization of vesicular glutamate transporters in the rat visual system after the retinofugal denervationFumino Fujiyama
Department of Morphological Brain Science, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Comp Neurol 465:234-49. 2003..Thus, the present results support the notion that the retinofugal pathways are glutamatergic, and indicate that VGluT2, but not VGluT1, is employed for accumulating glutamate into synaptic vesicles of retinofugal axons...
- Peripheral chemoreceptors determine the respiratory sensitivity of central chemoreceptors to CO(2)Gregory M Blain
The John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, Department of Population Health Sciences, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
J Physiol 588:2455-71. 2010..Neither unilateral CB denervation nor CB perfusion, per se, affected breathing...
- Chronic renal denervation prevents glomerular hyperfiltration in diabetic ratsGerd Luippold
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:342-7. 2004..in glomerular filtration rate (GFR) induced by amino acid infusion is attenuated in rats with chronic renal denervation. The aim of the present study was to investigate whether renal denervation abrogates glomerular hyperfiltration ..
- Radiofrequency facet joint denervation in the treatment of low back pain: a placebo-controlled clinical trial to assess efficacyR Leclaire
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Community Studies, Sir Mortimer B Davis, Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1411-6; discussion 1417. 2001..A prospective double-blind randomized controlled trial was performed...
- Complications of lumbar facet radiofrequency denervationCraig Kornick
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Pain Management, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:1352-4. 2004..Retrospective...
- Muscle denervation promotes opening of the permeability transition pore and increases the expression of cyclophilin DKristina Csukly
Département de Kinésiologie, Universite de Montreal, P O Box 6128 Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3C 3J7
J Physiol 574:319-27. 2006..However, the effect of denervation on the permeability transition pore (PTP), a mitochondrial protein complex implicated in cell death, is ..
- A randomized controlled trial of radiofrequency denervation of the ramus communicans nerve for chronic discogenic low back painWan Soo Oh
Clinical Pain Research Center, Samsung Fine Hospital, 3rd Floor, Sky Medical B D, 308 Hyoje dong, Jongno gu, 110 480 Seoul, Korea
Clin J Pain 20:55-60. 2004..The objective of this study was to determine the efficacy of percutaneous radiofrequency (RF) thermocoagulation of the ramus communicans nerve in patients suffering from chronic discogenic low back pain...
- Ubiquitin ligase Cbl-b downregulates bone formation through suppression of IGF-I signaling in osteoblasts during denervationNaoto Suzue
Department of Orthopedics, The University of Tokushima School of Medicine, Japan
J Bone Miner Res 21:722-34. 2006..mechanism, we focused on a ubiquitin ligase, Cbl-b, which was highly expressed in osteoblastic cells during denervation. Our results suggest that Cbl-b may mediate denervation-induced osteopenia by inhibiting IGF-I signaling in ..
- Denervation of carotid baro- and chemoreceptors in humansHenri J L M Timmers
Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Physiol 553:3-11. 2003Experimental denervation in animals has shown that carotid baro- and chemoreceptors play an eminent role in maintaining blood pressure and blood gas homeostasis...
- Intrinsic innervation and dopaminergic markers after experimental denervation in rat thymusF Mignini
Dip Medicina Clinica e Sperimentale, Lab Anatomia Umana, Univ Piemonte Oriental, Novara, Italy
Eur J Histochem 54:e17. 2010The aim of this study was to examine rat thymus innervation using denervation techniques and to explore the related micro-anatomical localization of dopamine, D1, D2 receptors and dopamine membrane transporter (DAT)...
- Radiofrequency sacroiliac joint denervation for sacroiliac syndromeF M Ferrante
Pain Medicine Center, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 26:137-42. 2001Radiofrequency (RF) denervation of the sacroiliac (SI) joint has been advocated for the treatment of sacroiliac syndrome, yet no clinical studies or case series support its use.
- Selective atrial vagal denervation guided by evoked vagal reflex to treat patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillationMauricio Scanavacca
Unidade Clinica de Arritmia, Heart Institute, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Av Dr Eneas Carvalho de Aguiar 44, CEP 05403 000, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Circulation 114:876-85. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate whether selective radiofrequency (RF) catheter ablation of the atrial sites in which high-frequency stimulation induces vagal reflexes prevents paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (AF)...
- Timing the commitment to a wound-healing response of denervated limb stumps in the adult newt, Notophthalmus viridescensJudith D Salley-Guydon
Department of Molecular Genetics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Wound Repair Regen 14:479-83. 2006..On days 7, 14, 21, 28, and 35 days after the initial amputation and denervation, stumps were reamputated to remove the distal tip...
- Cellular inflammatory response induced by sensory denervation of the conjunctiva in monkeysAlabi O Oduntan
School of Health Sciences, University of the North, Sovenga, Limpopo, South Africa
J Anat 206:287-94. 2005The inflammatory response induced by sensory denervation of the cornea, neuroparalytic (neurotrophic) keratitis, has been widely reported in the literature...
- Early withdrawal of axons from higher centers in response to peripheral somatosensory denervationAlessandro Graziano
Center for Neuroscience, University of California, Davis, Davis, California 95618, USA
J Neurosci 29:3738-48. 2009....
- Altered cortical activation with finger movement after peripheral denervation: comparison of active and passive tasksH Reddy
Centre for Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Brain, Department of Clinical Neurology, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, UK
Exp Brain Res 138:484-91. 2001..An expanded representation for finger movement in the primary motor cortex with peripheral weakness suggests the possibility that the primary motor cortex may encode motor unit activation rather directly...
- Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy for severe hyperhidrosis: impact of restrictive denervation on compensatory sweatingJohannes Schmidt
Department of Surgery, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Lutherhaus, Essen, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 81:1048-55. 2006..This prospective trial was projected to measure the impact of limited denervation on compensatory sweating while performing endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy.
- Bilateral LMAN lesions cancel differences in HVC neuronal recruitment induced by unilateral syringeal denervation. Lateral magnocellular nucleus of the anterior neostriatumL Wilbrecht
Laboratory of Animal Behavior, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 188:909-15. 2002..We suggest that the single nerve cut produced a hemispheric asymmetry in learning, reflected in new neuron recruitment, which disappeared when LMAN lesions blocked learning...
- Denervation-related changes in acetylcholine receptor density and distribution in the rat flexor digitorum sublimis muscleMatteo Guzzini
Dipartimento di Ortopedia e Traumatologia, Ospedale S Andrea, Universita La Sapienza, Roma, Italy
Ital J Anat Embryol 113:209-16. 2008..the distribution of the acetylcholine receptors (AChRs) in flexor digitorum sublimis muscle after 30 days of denervation in the rat forelimb experimental model...
- Synergistic effects of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and chondroitinase ABC on retinal fiber sprouting after denervation of the superior colliculus in adult ratsDaniela Tropea
Istituto di Neuroscienze del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, and Scuola Normale Superiore, 56100 Pisa, Italy
J Neurosci 23:7034-44. 2003..These results suggest that the combined treatment with BDNF and C-ABC can be relevant in therapies for the repair of the damaged adult CNS...
- Denervation and repeated L-DOPA induce complex regulatory changes in neurochemical phenotypes of striatal neurons: implication of a dopamine D1-dependent mechanismMichel St-Hilaire
Centre de recherche en Neuroscience, CHUL, Canada
Neurobiol Dis 20:450-60. 2005..The denervation process induced NT and Nur77 mRNA expression in ENK-positive cells...
- Sinoaortic denervation prevents enhanced heat loss induced by central cholinergic stimulation during physical exerciseWashington Pires
Exercise Physiology Laboratory, Department of Physical Education, School of Physical Education, Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Brain Res 1366:120-8. 2010..Wistar rats were submitted to sinoaortic denervation (SAD) or sham denervation (SHAM) and then fitted with a chronic guide cannula into the lateral cerebral ..
- NMDA-receptor inhibition increases spine stability of denervated mouse dentate granule cells and accelerates spine density recovery following entorhinal denervation in vitroAndreas Vlachos
Institute of Clinical Neuroanatomy, Neuroscience Center, Goethe University Frankfurt, Frankfurt 60590, Germany Electronic address
Neurobiol Dis 59:267-76. 2013..cortex lesion in vitro model, we recently showed that mouse dentate granule cells respond to entorhinal denervation with coordinated functional and structural changes: During the early phase after denervation spine density ..
- In vitro denervation of the rat vas deferens through hypothermic storageN H Jurkiewicz
Department of Pharmacology, Escola Paulista de Medicina, , Brazil
Br J Pharmacol 107:610-5. 1992..various biochemical and pharmacological parameters decline at different rates, though revealing altogether that denervation is completed by at least 85% after 72 h of hypothermic storage; (2) two of the results, i.e...
- Protective effect of renal denervation on normotensive endotoxemia-induced acute renal failure in miceWei Wang
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 283:F583-7. 2002..control mice. The high plasma renin activity level decreased to the control level with renal denervation in endotoxemic mice...
- Normalization of arterial pressure after barodenervation: role of pressure natriuresisJ W Osborn
Department of Veterinary Biology, University of Minnesota, St Paul 55108
Am J Physiol 259:R1172-80. 1990..that mean arterial pressure (MAP) is normal or only slightly elevated after chronic arterial baroreceptor denervation. We hypothesized that the absence of sustained hypertension after barodenervation was the result of a pressure ..
- Striatal dopaminergic denervation and gait in healthy adultsR Cham
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Exp Brain Res 185:391-8. 2008..We conclude that dopaminergic physiology influences certain aspects of gait independent of age-related changes. The findings of this study may augur novel therapeutic approaches to treating gait disorders in the elderly...
- High-frequency stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus prolongs the increase in striatal dopamine induced by acute l-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine in dopaminergic denervated ratsEmilie Lacombe
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unite 836, Grenoble Institut des Neurosciences, Equipe Dynamique des Réseaux Neuronaux du Mouvement, Grenoble, France
Eur J Neurosci 26:1670-80. 2007..These new neurochemical data suggest that STN-HFS interferes with L-DOPA effects, probably synergically, by stabilizing dopamine levels in the striatum and shed light on the mechanisms of STN-HFS in PD...
- Renal sensory and sympathetic nerves reinnervate the kidney in a similar time-dependent fashion after renal denervation in ratsJan Mulder
Science for Life Laboratory, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 304:R675-82. 2013Efferent renal sympathetic nerves reinnervate the kidney after renal denervation in animals and humans...
- Effect of hepatic denervation on peripheral insulin sensitivity in conscious dogsMary Courtney Moore
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282:E286-96. 2002..Surgical hepatic denervation (DN) was performed in 22 dogs approximately 16 days before study; 7 dogs (Sham-Sal) had a sham procedure...
- Cholinergic denervation exacerbates amyloid pathology and induces hippocampal atrophy in Tg2576 miceFrancisco J Gil-Bea
Department of Cellular and Molecular Neuropharmacology, Division of Neurosciences, Center for Applied Medical Research CIMA, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Neurobiol Dis 48:439-46. 2012..The present work is aimed at studying the interactions between cholinergic denervation, APP processing and hippocampal integrity...
- High frequency stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus increases the extracellular contents of striatal dopamine in normal and partially dopaminergic denervated ratsN Bruet
, , , Pavillon de Neurologie, CHU de Grenoble, France
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 60:15-24. 2001..We conclude that HFS-STN acts directly and/or indirectly on striatal DA levels in control or partially DA lesioned rats...
- Use of sinoaortic denervation to study the role of baroreceptors in cardiovascular regulationA M Schreihofer
Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260
Am J Physiol 266:R1705-10. 1994..of studies using sinoaortic-denervated (SAD) rats is complicated by variability in the extent of baroreceptor denervation. We have compared cardiovascular regulation in rats with total sinoaortic cardiovascular regulation in rats ..
- Alterations of myocardial presynaptic sympathetic innervation in patients with multi-vessel coronary artery disease but without history of myocardial infarctionH P Bulow
Nuklearmedizinische Klinik und Poliklinik der Technischen Universität München, Germany
Nucl Med Commun 24:233-9. 2003In patients with myocardial infarction, left ventricular sympathetic denervation exceeds the size of the scar tissue...
- Effect of sinoaortic denervation on frequency-domain estimates of baroreflex sensitivity in conscious catsG Mancia
Clinica Medica I, University of Milan, and Ospedale S Gerardo, 20052 Monza, Italy
Am J Physiol 276:H1987-93. 1999..5 h in eight conscious cats, first intact and then 7-10 days after sinoaortic denervation (SAD)...
- Ventilatory and central neurochemical reorganisation of O2 chemoreflex after carotid sinus nerve transection in ratJ C Roux
Laboratoire de Physiologie des Regulations Metaboliques, Cellulaires et Moleculaires, UMR CNRS 5578, Faculte de Medecine, Lyon, France
J Physiol 522:493-501. 2000..Within the weeks following denervation, the CSNT rats progressively recovered a HVR level similar to the sham-operated rats (-37% at 6 days, -27% at ..
- Time-lapse imaging of granule cells in mouse entorhino-hippocampal slice cultures reveals changes in spine stability after entorhinal denervationAndreas Vlachos
Institute of Clinical Neuroanatomy, Neuroscience Center, Goethe University Frankfurt, Frankfurt 60590, Germany
J Comp Neurol 520:1891-902. 2012..synaptic connections and show biphasic changes in their dendritic spine density: during an early phase after denervation spine density decreases and during a late phase spine density recovers again...
- Cardiovascular Responses to Sleep Apnea in Tetraplegia: A Pilot StudyJill M Wecht; Fiscal Year: 2010..In contrast to neurologically intact persons, individuals with tetraplegia represent a model of sympathetic denervation characterized by relative bradycardia and low resting blood pressure...
- Exercise training and blood pressure in hypertension: integrated mechanismsNoreen F Rossi; Fiscal Year: 2012..We use cryoablation of the renal nerve from the kidney with the stenosis rather than surgical denervation. This novel cryotreatment will permit us to evaluate two things: proof of concept that renal denervation will ..
- Conference on Autonomic Regulation of Cardiovascular Function in Health and DiseaMartin Frank; Fiscal Year: 2012..Examples of the latter are renal sympathetic nerve denervation and carotid sinus baroreceptor stimulation for treatment of patients with drug-resistant hypertension...
- Ca Signaling in Progression of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis in Skeletal MuscleJingsong Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2013..O2-) FLASH signal as an index for mitochondrial metabolic function in ALS muscle, and to examine the effect of denervation on the interplay between mitochondria-SR in controlling intracellular Ca release and local O2- levels during ..
- Mechanisms mediating hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell traffickingPaul S Frenette; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will assess the effect of local denervation, the role of adrenergic receptors, and the function of Nestin+ niche cells...
- Aqueous humor dynamics studies in vivo and in vitroPAUL LEON KAUFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..levels of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) in the anterior segment in glaucoma, a short-term equivalent of nitrergic denervation will be created in monkeys in vivo following topical or intracameral dosing with the non-selective NOS ..
- Gluconeogenesis and Glycogenolysis - Role and RegulationAlan D Cherrington; Fiscal Year: 2013..Surgical (hepatic denervation etc) and pharmacologic (i.e...
- REACTIVE OXYGEN SPECIES: STRESS AND DAMAGE IN OLD MUSCLESusan V Brooks; Fiscal Year: 2012Frailty represents the summation of the effects of motor neuron degeneration, muscle fiber denervation and degeneration, decreased muscle mass and strength, and mitochondrial dysfunction, but the cause-effect relationships among these ..
- Role of FUS in ALSHaining Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2013..A general symptom of ALS is muscle weakness and wasting triggered by denervation at neuromuscular junctions. The majority of ALS cases are sporadic, and approximately 10% are familial...
- Ca2+ mishandling and ischemia-vulnerability in fALS model motor terminalsGavriel David; Fiscal Year: 2012..The extent of stress-induced muscle denervation and any protective effect of applied treatments will be assayed using motor terminals in which yellow ..
- Development of novel therapies for aging-induced skeletal muscle atrophy.SCOTT MATTHEW EBERT; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although both compounds reduce skeletal muscle atrophy during fasting, limb immobilization and muscle denervation, their effects in aging-induced skeletal muscle atrophy are not yet known...
- Gene Networks Regulating Muscle Protein DegradationNathaniel J Szewczyk; Fiscal Year: 2010..by applicant): Muscle atrophy is associated with increased mortality in patients with chronic malnutrition, denervation, sepsis, cancer, diabetes, renal failure, heart failure, AIDS and in aging patients...
- Neurogenic inflammation and psoriasiform dermatitisNICOLE LEANNE WARD; Fiscal Year: 2013..Interestingly, several case reports have demonstrated psoriatic plaque resolution following accidental skin denervation, and subsequent loss of nerve-derived factors...
- Role of 12/15-lipoxygenase in mechanisms of muscle atrophy during agingArunabh Bhattacharya; Fiscal Year: 2013..sciatic nerve transection model will be used to determine whether the inhibition of 12/15-LO protects against denervation-induced muscle atrophy by modulating the protein degradation pathways...
- Mechanisms of Functional Recovery After Partial Nerve InjuryMichael M Wang; Fiscal Year: 2012..We hypothesize that a cascade of specific cytokines results from denervation of target tissue and that protective cytokine responses are driven by steroid hormone regulated transcription ..
- Estrogen and hippocampal plasticityLORI LYNN MCMAHON; Fiscal Year: 2012..cortex and the distal dendrites of CA1 pyramidal cells;AIM3 will test the hypothesis that cholinergic denervation will prevent the E2 induced increase in spine density, NMDAR transmission, and LTP magnitude but that ..
- Notch and Wnt signaling in protection by nandrolone against disuse atrophyChristopher Cardozo; Fiscal Year: 2012..Wnt inhibits Notch signaling and stimulates myogenic differentiation. Our preliminary data suggest that denervation activates Notch and Wnt signaling in denervated muscle and that nandrolone terminates Notch signaling while ..
- Response of aging intrinsic laryngeal muscles to chronic electrical stimulationColleen A McMullen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific Aim 3 will determine to what extent chronic nerve stimulation will reverse functional denervation in aging laryngeal muscles...
- Motoneuron-selective Rescue of SMA Model MiceMendell Rimer; Fiscal Year: 2012..Muscle denervation and atrophy ensue as a result of motoneuron loss. There is no current cure for SMA...
- Neurotrophins and Post-infarct Plasicity in Cardiac Sympathetic NeuronsBeth A Habecker; Fiscal Year: 2013..in vivo and dissect the contributions of p75 and TrkA in post-infarct sympathetic dysregulation, including: 1) denervation, 2) hyper-innervation, 3) neuropeptide production, 4) NE synthesis and turnover, and 5) susceptibility to ..
- Mechanisms mediating circadian oscillations of leukocyte migrationPaul S Frenette; Fiscal Year: 2012..Furthermore, using chemical sympathectomy and surgical denervation, we have found that the fluctuations of leukocyte recruitment were abolished in mice with an impaired SNS and ..
- Molecular, Genetic &Physiological Studies of Calcium-activated Chloride ChannelsLily Y Jan; Fiscal Year: 2013..correspond to the CaCC in sensory neurons of the dorsal root ganglion (DRG)? Is TMEM16A up regulated following denervation and, if so, does it influence nerve regeneration and/or neuropathic pain? Denervation causes up regulation of ..
- Exogenous growth factors for reversal of age-related laryngeal muscle denervationJoseph Stemple; Fiscal Year: 2011..NMJs) become smaller and less abundant in aging rat laryngeal muscles, and there is evidence of functional denervation. Therefore, this project has two major objectives:(1) it will test the efficacy of exogenous neurotrophins as ..
- Mechanisms of Myocardial Ischemia and ReperfusionDorothy E Vatner; Fiscal Year: 2010..Project 1, "Effects of Cardiac Denervation on Ischemic Protection", involves the study of the mechanisms of cardiac protection in the second window of ..
- Evaluating HMG-CoA reductase as a therapeutic target in ALSChristopher Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Early muscle denervation is observed in mutant SOD1 rodent models as well as in patients with either sporadic or familial forms of the ..
- Role of Carotid Bodies in Glucose Regulation and Counter Regulation in HumansMichael J Joyner; Fiscal Year: 2013..responses to hypoglycemia in three groups of subjects: 1) healthy people, 2) people with bilateral carotid denervation after surgery for glomus tumors, and 3) people with type 1 diabetes with and without hypoglycemia unawareness...
- Molecular Mechanisms of Age-related Muscle LossChristopher M Adams; Fiscal Year: 2013..mRNAs increased by a variety of acute atrophy-inducing stresses (fasting, cancer, diabetes, uremia and muscle denervation)...
- Carotid afferent and parafacial neuronal excitatory effects on breathingHubert V Forster; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, severe hypoventilation and reduced central CO2-H+ chemosensitivity after carotid body denervation (CBD) suggest a major excitatory drive is provided by carotid chemoreceptor afferents...
- FOXO signaling and skeletal muscle atrophyANDREW ROBERT JUDGE; Fiscal Year: 2013..physiological phenomenon and significant health problem associated with muscle disuse (immobilization, bedrest, denervation) and various diseases (cancer, sepsis, AIDS, diabetes, chronic heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary ..
- Intrathecal Gene Therapy Expressing IGF-1 for Amyotrophic Lateral SclerosisNicholas M Boulis; Fiscal Year: 2013..The cause of ALS is the progressive denervation of muscle by motor neurons...
- Drug regulators of nitric oxide production as Alzheimer's disease therapeuticsJohn A Schetz; Fiscal Year: 2013..neuritic dystrophy and dendritic spine loss, A[unreadable]/amyloid accumulation and deposition, cholinergic denervation and a memory loss phenotype in animal models of disease...
- Active zone loss cause dying back neuropathy in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisHiroshi Nishimune; Fiscal Year: 2013..prior to the onset of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and to test the causality of active zone loss in NMJ denervation. Motor neuron degeneration in patients and animal models is preceded by NMJ denervation, which suggests that ..
- Regulation of Food Intake and Body Weight by GLP-1ROGER REIDELBERGER; Fiscal Year: 2010..methods, antagonists of GLP-1 forms (receptor antagonist, immunoneutralizing antiserum), and abdominal vagal denervation to determine whether GLP-1 form(s) act through endocrine and/or paracrine control of vagal signaling from gut ..
- Regeneration of the Lower Urinary Tract in Nonhuman PrimatesJames Koudy Williams; Fiscal Year: 2013..marrow progenitor cells (BMCs), autologous labeled skMPCs will be administered either 6 weeks post-sphincter denervation, or 6 months post-denervation, either intravenously, or directly into the sphincter complex. Aim 1...
- Molecular Mechanisms that Cause Muscle AtrophyAlfred L Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Atrophy of skeletal muscle is a debilitating response to denervation, disuse, fasting, glucocorticoids, many systemic diseases (e.g. cancer cachexia, renal failure) and aging...
- Effect of Prenatal Programming on Renal Tubular TransportMichel G Baum; Fiscal Year: 2012..In preliminary data we show that renal denervation results in a normalization of the blood pressure in rats exposed to prenatal dexamethasone, while denervation ..
- Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors and Inhibitory BehaviorDavid J Bucci; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies will use a combination of approaches consisting of selective cholinergic denervation of the prefrontal cortex or hippocampus, and treatment with nicotinic receptor subtype-specific compounds...
- MicroRNA-29 in postnatal skeletal muscle development and diseaseJASON ROBERT O'ROURKE; Fiscal Year: 2012..Interestingly, miR-29 levels are elevated at very early stages of denervation-induced skeletal muscle atrophy...
- White Matter Lesions and Cortical Serotonergic Deafferentation in Older AdultsMartijn L T M Muller; Fiscal Year: 2010..A tailored clinical test battery will be employed to explore the functional consequences of serotoninergic denervation on fall risk, mobility, information processing speed, and ratings of depression and anxiety in the presence of ..
- Developing in vivo and in vitro Models for ALS Caused by Mutant FUSXugang Xia; Fiscal Year: 2011..ALS), a common neurodegenerative disease, is characterized by progressive degeneration of motor neurons and denervation atrophy of skeletal muscles. ALS inexorably progresses to paralysis and death. At present, ALS is incurable...
- Motor Neuron Disease in Mouse Models of ALS: Where Does The End BeginCarol Milligan; Fiscal Year: 2013..overall hypothesis is that systematic examination and characterization of early events associated with initial denervation will provide insight into disease mechanisms resulting in MN dysfunction...
- Mechanisms of sensory neuron control over skin immune responsesJOSE MANUEL ORDOVAS-MONTANES; Fiscal Year: 2013..The first aim of this proposal will seek to characterize how sensory denervation alters dermal ?[unreadable] T cell phenotype and function...
- Metabolite Profiling of a Novel Mitochondrial Kinase in Neuromuscular DiseaseGregory A Cox; Fiscal Year: 2013..mice, and 3) Pla2g6 mutant mice, a model of Infantile Neuroaxonal Dystrophy (INAD), which also results in denervation and peripheral axon degeneration...
- Histone deacetylase 4 and neural activity-dependent muscle remodeling and atrophyTso Pang Yao; Fiscal Year: 2012..We found that HDAC4 is dramatically and invariably induced and activated in response to denervation and neuromuscular disease-induced atrophy...
- The Molecular Pathogenesis of Skeletal Muscle AtrophyKale S Bongers; Fiscal Year: 2013..are increased by various atrophy-promoting stresses, including aging, immobilization, fasting, and muscle denervation. Furthermore, using overexpression and RNA interference-mediated knockdown of Gadd45a and Cdkn1a in mouse ..
- Nigrostriatal Dopamine FunctionJAMES TEPPER; Fiscal Year: 2009..The numbers of these neurons increases several-fold in all species following experimental DA denervation, and some of them have been shown to express L-amino acid decarboxylase (AADC) and the vesicular monoamine ..
- Molecular Pathogenesis of Skeletal Muscle AtrophyChristopher M Adams; Fiscal Year: 2013..will study skeletal muscle-specific ATF4 gene knockout mice and determine if they are resistant to fasting- or denervation- induced muscle atrophy...
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy: Is it a motor axon disease?Christine E Beattie; Fiscal Year: 2013..diseases are devastating in that they rob individuals of the ability to move and are often fatal due to denervation of the respiratory system...
- Role of MMP-9 in selective motor neuron degeneration in ALSChristopher Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2013..the mmp9 gene in ALS model mice - whose normal lifespan is ~6 months - leads to a >3-month delay in muscle denervation and a 24% increase in survival. Significant benefit was observed even in mice that were heterozygotes for mmp9...
- Assessment of Upper Airway Mechanics Using Newer EMG TechniquesAtul Malhotra; Fiscal Year: 2013..controversy as to whether this high activity represents high central drive to the muscle versus an effect of denervation. This K24 award would allow us to pursue interesting hypotheses that may ultimately lead to new treatments for ..
- Bone Marrow Neuropathy Drives Diabetic RetinopathySusanne Mohr; Fiscal Year: 2013..Based on these findings, we hypothesize that: Diabetic BM denervation initiates HSC/progenitor dysfunction that leads to an increase in total monocytes generated, this, coupled with ..
- Rotator Cuff Degeneration and RepairStavros Thomopoulos; Fiscal Year: 2013..Clinical and experimental studies support the idea that decreased loading, either through tendon injury or denervation, leads to muscle and tendon degeneration...
- Bladder, Urethra and Anal Sphincter ReinnervationMICHAEL RAYMOND RUGGIERI; Fiscal Year: 2013..emptying without FES occurs with GF nerve transfer to the vesical branch of the pelvic nerve following bladder denervation in the sacral spine...
- TROPHIC MANIPULATIONS OF THE OCULOMOTOR SYSTEMChristopher S von Bartheld; Fiscal Year: 2010..on weakening the relatively too strong antagonistic eye muscle, either by surgical recession or pharmacological denervation with botulinum toxin and muscle tightening by surgical resection...
- Dopaminergic Regulation of Pyramidal CellsAriel Y Deutch; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have found that PFC dopamine (DA) denervation results in a marked decrease in dendritic spine density...
- Pleiotrophin for Neurorestoration in Parkinson's DiseaseSARA ELIZABETH GOMBASH LAMPE; Fiscal Year: 2013..and receptors are expressed by mesencephalic dopamine (DA) neurons and are upregulated in response to striatal denervation and other nervous system injuries...
- Mechanisms underlying selective motor pool vulnerability in mouse and human SMAJustin C Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..mouse model of SMA and assess for improvements in pathology, such as cell loss or neuromuscular denervation. Successful candidate genes represent promising targets for translation into human SMA and other ..
- Muscle and neuromuscular junctions in spinal muscular atrophyCHARLOTTE JANE SUMNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies in SMA mice, we have shown that at a time when the mouse is profoundly weak, there is little structural denervation. However there are widespread immature and hypotrophic myofibers as well as simplified neuromuscular junctions (..
- OnabotulinumtoxinA (onaVoNT-A) vs Oral Tamsulosin for PBH &LUTS (#02-10-10-05)Christopher P Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..If the proposed hypothesis proves correct, the significance of prostate denervation with onaBoNT-A will be a decrease in urinary tract symptoms that impact patient's quality of life, and the ..
- Roles of peripheral and central respiratory chemoreceptors in inbred rat strainsMATTHEW ROBERT HODGES; Fiscal Year: 2010..of eupneic PC02 and pH will be tested in the second aim by characterizing the effects of carotid body denervation in these strains...
- Muscarinic Receptor Induced LTD in Rat HippocampusLORI LYNN MCMAHON; Fiscal Year: 2013..cholinergic reinnervation rescue hippocampal dependent learning and memory deficits induced by cholinergic denervation? Are the "new" cholinergic fibers functional and do they cause the rescue of M1 mAChR function, mLTD, and ..
- Hyposmia, Cholinergic Denervation and Incipient Cognitive Decline in PDNICOLAAS IDA BOHNEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..odor identification in (very) early PD is more closely correlated with hippocampal than striatal dopaminergic denervation. These findings suggest that hippocampal dopaminergic denervation and/or dysfunction may contribute to PD ..
- Myogenic Potential of Extraocular Muscle Satellite CellsLinda K McLoon; Fiscal Year: 2010..The EOM and their satellite cells are extremely resilient to injury, denervation, disease, and aging, retaining normal morphology when limb muscle would normally atrophy...
- AUTONOMIC CONTROL OF LACRIMAL GLAND FUNCTIONBARRY BROMBERG; Fiscal Year: 1980..Additionally, attempts to inhibit or reverse the changes induced by denervation will be made by subcutaneous implantation of slow release, osmotic minipumps that will deliver directly to the ..
- Paraspinal Denervation in Low Back PainAndrew J Haig; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results will help doctors avoid unnecessary surgery and help scientists to understand more about how spinal stenosis disables so many older people. ..
- PHYSIOLOGIC BASIS OF MUSCLE FUNCTIONAL MRIRONALD MEYER; Fiscal Year: 2005..the quantitative assessment of motor unit loss in the muscles of patients with compensated peripheral muscle denervation. This aim is based on previous results, which indicate that the heterogeneity of the metabolically-linked ..
- SK CHANNELS IN HYPEREXCITABLE SKELETAL MUSCLEJohn Adelman; Fiscal Year: 2001..However, prior to innervation, upon denervation, in patients with myotonic muscular dystrophy (DM), or myotubes cultured in the absence of nerve, skeletal ..
- CEREBRAL VESSEL INNERVATION IN HYPERTENSIONTony Lee; Fiscal Year: 2002..Electrical stimulation or denervation of the sympathetic nerves however has a weak or no effect on resting cerebral blood flow, and cerebral vascular ..
- INTRINSIC NERVES AND REGULATION OF SMALL BOWEL MOTILITYConstantine Frantzides; Fiscal Year: 1990..by local intra-arterial perfusion of a neurotoxin (cobalt chloride); 2) to study the effects of intrinsic denervation on the myoelectric and motor activity in the fasted and fed states; and 3) to study the effect of denervation ..
- Attenuation of denervation atrophy by nandrolone: molecular mechanismsChristopher Cardozo; Fiscal Year: 2009..levels of several transcriptional coregulators in denervated skeletal muscle at 7 versus 35 days after denervation, with the greatest change, a 25-fold decrease, being for Ankrd2...
- DEVELOPMENT OF INNERVATION TOPOGRAPHY IN MUSCLEMichael Laskowski; Fiscal Year: 2004..is detectable in embryonic muscles upon first contact between nerve and muscle, and is partially restored after denervation. We have developed an important model of synaptic competition during reinnervation, where we can predict with ..