Summary: Patient care procedures performed during the operation that are ancillary to the actual surgery. It includes monitoring, fluid therapy, medication, transfusion, anesthesia, radiography, and laboratory tests.
Publications246 found, 100 shown here
- Effect of intraoperative position used in posterior lumbar interbody fusion on the maintenance of lumbar lordosisJae Hyup Lee
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Seoul National University Medical College, Seoul National University Boramae Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Neurosurg Spine 8:263-70. 2008....
- Real-time intraoperative assessment of the extrahepatic bile ducts in rats and pigs using invisible near-infrared fluorescent lightEiichi Tanaka
Division of Hematology Oncology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Surgery 144:39-48. 2008..We hypothesized that with an appropriate fluorophore and imaging system, invisible near-infrared (NIR) light could be used for image-guided procedures on the extrahepatic bile ducts...
- Targeted intraoperative radiotherapy versus whole breast radiotherapy for breast cancer (TARGIT-A trial): an international, prospective, randomised, non-inferiority phase 3 trialJayant S Vaidya
Research Department of Surgery, Division of Surgery and Interventional Science, University College London, London, UK
Lancet 376:91-102. 2010..Thus, restriction of radiation therapy to the tumour bed during surgery might be adequate for selected patients. We compared targeted intraoperative radiotherapy with the conventional policy of whole breast external beam radiotherapy...
- Prophylactic intraoperative 360 degrees laser retinopexy for prevention of retinal detachmentHyoung J Koh
Joan and Irwin Jacobs Retina Center, Department of Ophthalmology, Shiley Eye Center, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093 0946, USA
Retina 27:744-9. 2007..To evaluate the effect of intraoperative 360 degrees laser retinopexy anterior to the equator for the prevention of retinal detachment after vitrectomy...
- Preoperative localization and radioguided parathyroid surgeryGiuliano Mariani
Regional Center of Nuclear Medicine, University of Pisa Medical School, Pisa, Italy
J Nucl Med 44:1443-58. 2003..Specific guidelines should be followed when selecting patients for gamma-probe-guided MIP...
- Mitomycin C in revision endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy: a prospective randomized studyElina Penttilä
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Kuopio University Hospital, and University of Eastern Finland, Finland
Am J Rhinol Allergy 25:425-8. 2011..We conducted a prospective, randomized study to evaluate if the use of MMC improves the success in endonasal revision DCR procedure...
- Reduced morphine consumption and pain intensity with local infiltration analgesia (LIA) following total knee arthroplastyPer Essving
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Acta Orthop 81:354-60. 2010..Postoperative pain is often severe after total knee arthroplasty (TKA). We investigated the efficacy of the local infiltration analgesia (LIA) technique, both intraoperatively and postoperatively...
- Use of rapid sampling microdialysis for intraoperative monitoring of bowel ischemiaS Deeba
Department of Biosurgery and Surgical Technology, St Mary s Hospital, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 51:1408-13. 2008....
- Nomogram for predicting positive resection margins after breast-conserving surgeryHee Chul Shin
Department of Surgery, Chung Ang University College of Medicine, 224 1, Heukseok Dong, Dongjak Gu, Seoul 156 755, Korea
Breast Cancer Res Treat 134:1115-23. 2012..Our new nomogram using 5 variables that were determined before surgery to predict positive resection margins should aid the surgeon in developing individualized surgical plans for breast cancer patients who are scheduled for BCS...
- The effect of intraoperative antibiotics in irrigating solutions on aqueous humor contamination and endophthalmitis after phacoemulsification surgeryG Sobaci
Department of Ophthalmology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy and Medical School Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Ophthalmol 13:773-8. 2003..To determine the efficacy of intraoperative antibiotic use in irrigating solutions on aqueous humor contamination during phacoemulsification surgery and to evaluate the corresponding risk of postoperative endophthalmitis...
- Outcomes of macular hole surgery in patients treated intraoperatively for retinal breaks and/or lattice degenerationJohn Hwang
Edward Harkness Eye Institute, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York 10032, USA
Retina 27:1243-8. 2007..To assess the outcome of macular hole surgery in patients treated intraoperatively for retinal breaks and/or lattice degeneration...
- The impact of intraoperative ultrasonography on the surgical treatment of patients with colorectal liver metastasesC Sietses
Department of Surgery, Vrije Universiteit Medical Centre, PO Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 24:1917-22. 2010..The current results of IOUS were compared with preoperative high-resolution helical CT scanning and the impact of IOUS on surgical decision making was evaluated...
- Adjunctive use of mitomycin C in endoscopic revision dacryocystorhinostomyO Gorgulu
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Adana Numune Education and Research Hospital, Adana, Turkey
B-ENT 8:123-6. 2012..The aims of this study were to assess the long term safety and efficacy of intra-operative use of adjunctive mitomycin C (MMC) treatment in endoscopic revision DCR surgery over 12-24 (mean 17) months...
- Radiobiological aspects of intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT) with isotropic low-energy X rays for early-stage breast cancerCarsten Herskind
Department of Radiation Oncology, Inst of Clinical Radiology, Mannheim Medical Center, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Radiat Res 163:208-15. 2005..The RBE for tumor cells was higher than for late-reacting tissue. The applicator diameter is an important parameter in determining the range of tumor cell control in the irradiated tumor bed...
- [The impact of intra operative ultrasound in metastases liver surgery]Marcela Pecora Cohen
Departamento de Diagnóstico por Imagem, Hospital do Cancer A C Camargo, Sao Paulo, SP
Arq Gastroenterol 42:206-12. 2005..Twenty-five to 50% of the patients with hepatic metastases are potential candidates for curative surgery. Intraoperative ultrasound has been employed to guide the surgery...
- Rationale and techniques of intra-operative hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapyA J Witkamp
Department of Surgical Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute/Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Plesmanlaan 121, CX 1066 Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cancer Treat Rev 27:365-74. 2001..CONCLUSION: Aggressive surgical cytoreduction and HIPEC in patients with peritoneal surface malignancy has a clear rational and seems to have clinical value...
- Intraoperative near-infrared fluorescent cholangiography (NIRFC) in mouse models of bile duct injuryJose Luiz Figueiredo
Center for Molecular Imaging Research, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Building 149, 13th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
World J Surg 34:336-43. 2010....
- Evaluation of preoperative computed tomography in estimating peritoneal cancer index in colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosisJu Li Koh
Department of Surgery, St George Hospital, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Ann Surg Oncol 16:327-33. 2009..The role of CT in refining patient selection and improving prognosis remains to be closely evaluated...
- Accuracy of intraoperative frozen-section analysis of breast cancer lumpectomy-bed marginsJuan C Cendan
Department of Surgery, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32610 0286, USA
J Am Coll Surg 201:194-8. 2005..We review our experience in breast-conservation therapy (BCT) at the University of Florida (Gainesville) to determine the effectiveness of this approach...
- Combined modality therapy including intraoperative electron irradiation for locally recurrent colorectal cancerMichael G Haddock
Department of Radiation Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 79:143-50. 2011..To evaluate survival, relapse patterns, and prognostic factors in patients with colorectal cancer relapse treated with curative-intent therapy, including intraoperative electron radiation therapy (IOERT)...
- Performance metrics of an optical spectral imaging system for intra-operative assessment of breast tumor marginsTorre M Bydlon
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, 136 Hudson Hall, Box 90281, Durham, NC, 27708, USA
Opt Express 18:8058-76. 2010..The manuscript includes a discussion of how the speed of the system can be improved to work within the time constraints of an intra-operative setting...
- Single-incision laparoscopic cholecystectomy: initial experience with critical view of safety dissection and routine intraoperative cholangiographyArthur Rawlings
Department of Surgery and Institute for Minimally Invasive Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Am Coll Surg 211:1-7. 2010..We present our initial experience with SILC using CVS dissection and routine IOC...
- Preoperative combined with intraoperative skin-surface warming avoids hypothermia caused by general anesthesia and surgerySimone Maria D Angelo Vanni
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine of the University of São Paulo State, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Anesth 15:119-25. 2003....
- Single-dose dexamethasone reduces dynamic pain after total hip arthroplastyKenneth J Kardash
Department of Anesthesia, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Anesth Analg 106:1253-7, table of contents. 2008..Preoperative glucocorticoids reduce postoperative nausea but may also improve analgesia and decrease opioid consumption...
- Intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay for management of patients undergoing total thyroidectomyJong Lyel Roh
Department of Otolaryngology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388 1, Pungnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 736, Korea
Head Neck 28:990-7. 2006..We evaluated the reliability of intraoperative intact PTH (ioPTH) assay to predict hypocalcemia after total thyroidectomy and sought to develop an algorithm for the management of postthyroidectomy patients...
- Randomised controlled trial investigating the influence of intravenous fluid titration using oesophageal Doppler monitoring during bowel surgeryD H Conway
Department of Anaesthesia, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
Anaesthesia 57:845-9. 2002..003). Five control patients required postoperative critical care admission. Fluid titration using oesophageal Doppler during bowel surgery can improve haemodynamic parameters and may reduce critical care admissions postoperatively...
- Fibrinolysis or hypercoagulation during radical prostatectomy? An evaluation of thrombelastographic parameters and standard laboratory testsS Ziegler
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Universita degli Studi di Parma, Azienda Ospedaliera di Parma, Parma, Italy
Eur J Anaesthesiol 25:538-43. 2008..We studied serial changes in standard laboratory values and in thrombelastographic (TEG; Haemoscope Corporation, Skokie, IL, USA) parameters including lysis at 30 and 60 min (LY-30, LY-60), alpha-angle (alpha) and maximum amplitude...
- Intraoperative cholangiography time in laparoscopic cholecystectomy: timing the radiographerG El Shallaly
Department of Surgery, Monklands Hospital, Airdrie, Lanarkshire, ML6 OJS Scotland, United Kingdom
Surg Endosc 19:1370-2. 2005..In this study, we recorded the time spent by the radiographer providing IOC service in the context of optimizing the utilization of the radiographer and IOC time...
- Indicators for surgical resection and intraoperative radiation therapy for pelvic recurrence of colorectal cancerYojiro Hashiguchi
Abdominal Surgery, Saitama Cancer Center, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Saitama, Japan
Dis Colon Rectum 46:31-9. 2003..We retrospectively analyzed prognostic factors for surgical resection and intraoperative radiation therapy to identify indicators for this treatment strategy...
- Is laparoscopic intraoperative cholangiogram a matter of routine?Matthew S Metcalfe
Department of Surgery, University of Adelaide, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woodville Rd, Woodville, SA 5011, Australia
Am J Surg 187:475-81. 2004..The literature pertaining to both approaches is reviewed, to delineate their respective merits...
- Effect of intraoperative fluid management on outcome after intraabdominal surgeryVadim Nisanevich
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, Hadassah Hebrew University and Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Anesthesiology 103:25-32. 2005..The debate over the correct perioperative fluid management is unresolved...
- Liberal versus restrictive fluid management in knee arthroplasty: a randomized, double-blind studyKathrine Holte
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Hvidovre University Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
Anesth Analg 105:465-74. 2007..In this study we investigated the effects of two levels of intravascular fluid administration ("liberal" versus "restrictive") in knee arthroplasty on physiological recovery as the primary outcome variable...
- Laparoscopic ultrasonography is a complement to cholangiography for the detection of choledocholithiasis at laparoscopic cholecystectomyJ M Catheline
Department of Surgery, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Avicenne, Bobigny, France
Br J Surg 89:1235-9. 2002..The aim of this prospective study was to determine whether laparoscopic ultrasonography has an alternative or a complementary role with respect to cholangiography in achieving this end...
- Goal-directed intraoperative therapy reduces morbidity and length of hospital stay in high-risk surgical patientsAbele Donati
Department of Neuroscience, Anesthesia, and Intensive Care Unit, Marche Polytechnique University, Torrette di Ancona, Italy
Chest 132:1817-24. 2007..The primary aim of this study was to compare the number of patients with postoperative organ failure and length of hospital stay between those randomized to conventional vs a protocolized strategy designed to maintain O2ER < 27%...
- Long-term results of intraoperative presacral electron boost radiotherapy (IOERT) in combination with total mesorectal excision (TME) and chemoradiation in patients with locally advanced rectal cancerRobert Krempien
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:1143-51. 2006....
- Initial results of wireless pressure sensing for endovascular aneurysm repair: the APEX Trial--Acute Pressure Measurement to Confirm Aneurysm Sac EXclusionTakao Ohki
Department of Vascular Surgery, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Vasc Surg 45:236-42. 2007..In addition, repetitive contrast injection may impair renal function. To increase the efficacy and safety of intraoperative endoleak detection, a wireless pressure-monitoring system has been developed and tested in the clinical setting...
- Bile duct injury and use of cholangiography during laparoscopic cholecystectomyU Giger
Swiss Association of Laparoscopic and Thoracoscopic Surgery Study Group, Zurich, Switzerland
Br J Surg 98:391-6. 2011..Bile duct injury (BDI) remains the most serious complication of laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC). A Swiss database was used to identify risk factors for BDI and to assess the effect of intraoperative cholangiography (IOC)...
- Conservative vs restrictive individualized goal-directed fluid replacement strategy in major abdominal surgery: A prospective randomized trialEmmanuel Futier
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University Hospital of Clermont Ferrand, France
Arch Surg 145:1193-200. 2010....
- Efficacy of intra-articular cocktail analgesic injection in total knee arthroplasty - a randomized controlled trialPeiliang Fu
Department of Orthopaedics, Changzheng Hospital, Shanghai, China
Knee 16:280-4. 2009..This study revealed that intra-articular cocktail analgesic injection reduced the need for morphine and offered a better pain control, without apparent risks following TKA...
- Effect of amino acid solutions on intraoperative hypothermia and postoperative shivering. Comparison of two anesthetic regimensA Sahin
Hacettepe University, Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 46:64-7. 2002..The purpose of this study is to compare the effects of intraoperative administration of amino acid solutions on intraoperative hypothermia and postoperative shivering in two different anesthetic regimens...
- Computed tomography measurement of the accuracy of component version in total hip arthroplastyAndrew P Wines
Department of Orthopaedics, The Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Arthroplasty 21:696-701. 2006..In conclusion, the intraoperative estimation of acetabular and femoral version in a total hip arthroplasty is of limited accuracy...
- Predicting blood usage in cardiac surgery--the transfusion predictor productMichael B McDonald
Monash Medical Centre, Clayton
J Extra Corpor Technol 37:157-60. 2005..Patients with a TPP > 211.7u do not require routine cross-matching of blood. Cross-matching for these patients should be individualized on the basis of predicted duration of CPB and/or other types of patient comorbidity...
- Intraoperative sonography in patients with colorectal cancer and resectable liver metastases on preoperative FDG-PET-CTStephan M Wildi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Zurich, Switzerland
J Clin Ultrasound 36:20-6. 2008..The adjunctive use of intraoperative sonography (IOUS) may have a limited impact on treatment selection in these patients...
- Clinical evaluation of a new fat removal filter during cardiac surgeryAdrianus J de Vries
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Groningen, Hanzeplein 1, P O Box 30 001, 9700 RB, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 25:261-6. 2004..Recently, a fat removal filter has been developed, based on a polyester leukocyte depletion filter. However, the efficacy of such a filter in a clinical setting is unknown. In this study we tested the efficacy of this filter...
- Does routine intraoperative cholangiography prevent bile duct transection?E Debru
Department of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, Concord Repatriation General Hospital, The University of Sydney, Hospital Road, Sydney, NSW, 2139, Australia
Surg Endosc 19:589-93. 2005....
- Low central venous pressure reduces blood loss in hepatectomyWei Dong Wang
Department of General Surgery, The First People s Hospital of Shun De, and Sun Yat Sen University, Guangdong Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 12:935-9. 2006..To investigate the effect of low central venous pressure (LCVP) on blood loss during hepatectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- Activation of fibrinolysis in the pericardial cavity after cardiopulmonary bypassPhilipe N Khalil
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital Eppendorf, University of Hamburg, Germany
Thromb Haemost 92:568-74. 2004..Therefore in fibrinolysis and blood coagulation the surgeon should not only consider what happens in the systemic circulation but also on a local level...
- Positron detection for the intraoperative localisation of cancer depositsMorand Piert
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ismaningerstrasse 22, 81675 Munich, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 34:1534-44. 2007..The study investigated the feasibility of a positron-sensitive hand-held detector system for the intraoperative localisation of tumour deposits resulting from intravenous [(18)F]FDG administration...
- Hemodilution and surgical hemostasis contribute significantly to transfusion requirements in patients undergoing coronary artery bypassSandra Dial
Department of Critical Care, SMBD Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 130:654-61. 2005....
- Identifying patients at risk of intraoperative and postoperative transfusion in isolated CABG: toward selective conservation strategiesRakesh C Arora
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1547-54. 2004..We developed a predictive model, based on eight preoperative risk factors, of allogeneic blood product transfusion rates in patients undergoing a cardiac procedure...
- The role of a positron- and high-energy gamma photon probe in intraoperative localization of recurrent melanomaBenjamin L Franc
Department of Radiology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0252, USA
Clin Nucl Med 30:787-91. 2005....
- Intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT) for breast cancer using the Intrabeam systemUta Kraus-Tiefenbacher
Department of Radiation Oncology, Mannheim Medical Center, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Tumori 91:339-45. 2005..This report will focus on the feasibility and technical aspects of the Intrabeam device and will summarize our experience with side effects and local control...
- [Role of intra-operative echography and computed tomography with multiple detectors in the surgery of hepatic metastases: a prospective study]Joan Figueras
Servicio de Cirugía General y Digestiva, Hospital Universitario de Girona Dr Josep Trueta, Girona, Espana
Cir Esp 83:134-8. 2008..To study the performance of the intraoperative ecography in the diagnosis of new liver metastases in the era of computerized tomography (CT) with multidetectors and its impact on the surgical operation...
- Robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: perioperative outcomes of 1500 casesVipul R Patel
Global Robotics Institute, Celebration Health University of Central Florida, Orlando, Celebration, Florida 34747, USA
J Endourol 22:2299-305. 2008..Robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy (RALP) is an evolving minimally invasive treatment of for localized prostate cancer. We present our experience of 1500 consecutive cases with an analysis of perioperative outcomes...
- Intraoperative probes and imaging probesE J Hoffman
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, UCLA School of Medicine, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6948, USA
Eur J Nucl Med 26:913-35. 1999....
- Intraoperative oesophageal Doppler guided fluid management shortens postoperative hospital stay after major bowel surgeryH G Wakeling
Department of Anaesthesia, Worthing Hospital, Lyndhurst Road, Worthing BN11 2DH, UK
Br J Anaesth 95:634-42. 2005..We assessed whether using intraoperative oesophageal Doppler guided fluid management to minimize hypovolaemia would reduce postoperative hospital stay and the time before return of gut function after colorectal surgery...
- A comparison of bleeding and transfusion in patients who undergo coronary artery bypass grafting via sternotomy with and without cardiopulmonary bypassGregory A Nuttall
Department of Anesthesiology and Cardiac Surgery, Mayo School of Health Sciences, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 17:447-51. 2003....
- Cardioprotective effects of diltiazem infusion in the perioperative periodR Malhotra
Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre, New Delhi, India
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 12:420-7. 1997..To evaluate the perioperative effects of intravenous diltiazem infusion on left ventricular functions, hemodynamics and as an anti-ischemic and antiarrhythmic agent in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)...
- Blood transfusion during cardiac surgery is associated with inflammation and coagulation in the lung: a case control studyPieter R Tuinman
Department of Intensive Care Medicine and Laboratory of Experimental Intensive Care and Anesthesiology, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, Amsterdam NL 1105 AZ, The Netherlands
Crit Care 15:R59. 2011..We hypothesized that blood transfusion is associated with changes in pulmonary and systemic inflammation and coagulation occurring in patients who do not meet the clinical diagnosis of transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI)...
- Randomized controlled trial to investigate influence of the fluid challenge on duration of hospital stay and perioperative morbidity in patients with hip fracturesR Venn
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Worthing Hospital, W Sussex UK
Br J Anaesth 88:65-71. 2002....
- Intraoperative radiotherapy: the debate continuesJayant S Vaidya
Department of Surgery, University College London, UK
Lancet Oncol 5:339-40. 2004
- Effect on local control and survival of electron beam intraoperative irradiation for resectable pancreatic adenocarcinomaM Reni
Department of Radiochemotherapy, San Raffaele H Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 50:651-8. 2001..To assess the impact on local control and survival of intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT) in resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma...
- Intraoperative radiation therapy for locally advanced recurrent rectal or rectosigmoid cancerK Lindel
Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Radiother Oncol 58:83-7. 2001..CONCLUSION: The current analysis shows the importance of a microscopic complete resection in a multi-modality approach with IORT for survival and local control. Salvage is rare for patients undergoing subtotal resection...
- Crystalloids versus colloids for goal-directed fluid therapy in major surgeryLuzius B Hiltebrand
Department of Anaesthesiology and Pain Therapy, Inselspital, Bern University Hospital, Freiburgstrasse, Bern, CH 3010, Switzerland
Crit Care 13:R40. 2009....
- Long-term results of intraoperative electron beam radiotherapy for primary and recurrent retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcomaH L Gieschen
Regional Cancer Center, Cape Cod Hospital, Hyannis, MA, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 50:127-31. 2001..Four patients experienced treatment-related morbidity. CONCLUSIONS: In selected patients, IOERT results in excellent local control and disease-free survival with acceptable morbidity...
- Determination of the peritoneal reflection using intraoperative proctoscopyMelissa M Najarian
Department of General and Vascular Surgery, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 47:2080-5. 2004..Location below the peritoneal reflection is one requirement for transanal excision and transanal endoscopic microsurgery. The location of the peritoneal reflection has not been extensively studied in living patients...
- Extensive cytoreductive surgery followed by intra-operative hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy with mitomycin-C in patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal originA J Witkamp
Department of Surgical Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Huis, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer 37:979-84. 2001..First results suggest that a higher median survival could be achieved compared with conventional palliative surgery and systemic chemotherapy, therefore a randomised phase III study is now being conducted...
- Relation of the static compliance curve and positive end-expiratory pressure to oxygenation during one-lung ventilationP D Slinger
Department of Anesthesia, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto General Hospital, Ontario, Candada
Anesthesiology 95:1096-102. 2001..The current study examined whether the effects of PEEP on oxygenation depend on the static compliance curve of the lung to which it is applied...
- The effect of leucocyte-depleting arterial line filters on cerebral microemboli and neuropsychological outcome following coronary artery bypass surgeryDonald C Whitaker
Unit of Health Psychology, Centre for Behavioural and Social Sciences in Medicine, University College London, 2nd Floor, Wolfson Building, 48 Riding House Street, W1W 7EY, London, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 25:267-74. 2004..A randomised clinical trial sought evidence as to whether leucocyte-depleting (LD) arterial line filters added a further degree of neuroprotection in patients undergoing elective coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery...
- Comparison of intraoperative radiation therapy-containing multimodality treatment with historical treatment modalities for locally recurrent rectal cancerG H Mannaerts
Department of Surgery and Department of Radiotherapy, Catharina Hospital, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Dis Colon Rectum 44:1749-58. 2001..001). CONCLUSION: The outcome of patients with locally recurrent rectal cancer was improved after the introduction of intraoperative radiation therapy-multimodality treatment...
- Incidence of acute endophthalmitis after triamcinolone-assisted pars plana vitrectomyTaiji Sakamoto
Department of Ophthalmology, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Science, Sakaragaoka 8 35 1, Kagoshima 890 8520, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 138:137-8. 2004..To report the incidence of acute endophthalmitis after triamcinolone acetonide-assisted pars plana vitrectomy (PPV)...
- The impact of intraoperative transfusion of platelets and red blood cells on survival after liver transplantationMarieke T de Boer
Department of Surgery, Section of Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Anesth Analg 106:32-44, table of contents. 2008..In this study, we evaluate the impact of various blood products on outcome after OLT...
- EuroSCORE directed intraaortic balloon pump placement in high-risk patients undergoing cardiac surgery--retrospective analysis of 267 patientsClaudius Diez
Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Ernst Grube Strasse 40, D 06097 Halle, Germany
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:389-95. 2008..We examined the effects on mortality of pre-, intra-, or postoperative IABP support in patients undergoing cardiac surgery compared to high-risk patients without IABP support...
- Predictors of early neurocognitive deficits in low-risk patients undergoing on-pump coronary artery bypass surgeryMunir Boodhwani
Divisions of Cardiac Surgery, University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa, Canada
Circulation 114:I461-6. 2006..Predictors of neurocognitive deficits can identify potentially modifiable risk factors as well as high-risk patients in whom alternate revascularization strategies may be considered...
- [Descriptive analysis of C-Reactive values after uncomplicated total hip and knee arthroplasty]Fernando Almeida Herrero
Servicio Cirugia Ortopedica y Traumatologia, Hospital Clinico Universitario, Valencia, Espana
Acta Ortop Mex 22:80-4. 2008..Levels returned to normal after surgery at the same time in both groups and no significant differences were found. Rising CRP levels after the third postoperative day may suggest a surgery complication such as infection...
- Early surgical morbidity and mortality in adults with congenital heart disease: the University of Michigan experienceGinnie L Abarbanell
Pediatric Cardiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 9470, USA
Congenit Heart Dis 3:82-9. 2008....
- Protection of the conjunctival flap from contact with mitomycin C during tunnel-trabeculectomyA Ophir
Department of Ophthalmology, Hillel Yaffe Medical Centre, Hadera, Israel
Eye (Lond) 21:1395-402. 2007..The mid-term appearance of the filtering bleb and surgical outcome following tunnel-trabeculectomy, in which protective measures were carried out to avoid contact between the mitomycin C (MMC) and the conjunctival flap, are presented...
- Routine versus selective intraoperative cholangiography during laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a survey of 2,130 patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomyA Nickkholgh
Department of General and Laparoscopic Surgery, Arad General Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Surg Endosc 20:868-74. 2006..Routine use of intraoperative cholangiography (IOC) during laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC) is a matter of debate...
- [Accelerated course after operation for ovarian cancer]Charlotte Iben Marx
H S Rigshospitalet, Juliane Marie Centret, Gynaekologisk Klinik, Enhed for Kirurgisk Patofysiologi og Anaestesiafdelingen, København Ø
Ugeskr Laeger 168:1533-6. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of a similar fast track regimen in patients operated for ovarian cancer...
- Comparison of photoselective vaporization of the prostate and transurethral resection of the prostate: a prospective nonrandomized bicenter trial with 2-year follow-upVolkan Tugcu
Bakirkoy Dr Sadi Konuk Research and Training Hospital, Department of Urology, Istanbul, Turkey
J Endourol 22:1519-25. 2008....
- Influence of intraoperative and postoperative radiotherapy on functional outcome in patients undergoing standard and deep anterior resection for rectal cancerPeter Kienle
Department of Surgery, University of Heidelberg, INF 110D 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 49:557-67. 2006..This study was designed to investigate the influence of intraoperative and postoperative radiotherapy on functional outcome after rectal resection for rectal cancer...
- Randomized clinical trial of perioperative systemic warming in major elective abdominal surgeryP F Wong
Professorial Unit of Surgery, University Hospital of North Tees, Stockton on Tees TS19 8PE, UK
Br J Surg 94:421-6. 2007..Intraoperative systemic warming has been shown to improve outcomes of surgery. This study aimed to examine the effects of additional perioperative systemic warming on postoperative morbidity...
- Ahmed valve implantation with adjunctive mitomycin C and 5-fluorouracil: long-term outcomesJorge A Alvarado
Department of Ophthalmology, Glaucoma Research Laboratory, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 146:276-284. 2008..To evaluate long-term outcomes after Ahmed valve implantation in patients with glaucoma when using adjunctive intraoperative mitomycin C (MMC) and postoperative 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)...
- The use of a "cheese-wire" suture in trabeculectomy- Prem-Venkatesh
Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology, Gartnavel General Hospital, Glasgow, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 91:500-4. 2007..To report a preliminary study on the safety and efficacy of the use of a cheese-wire suture in trabeculectomy...
- The effect of mannitol on oxygenation and creatine kinase MB release in patients undergoing multivessel off-pump coronary artery bypass surgeryJae Kwang Shim
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:704-9. 2007....
- [Penile protheses multicentre practice evaluation, results after 282 procedures]Johann Menard
Département d urologie andrologie, Hopital Robert Debre, CHU de Reims, France
Prog Urol 17:229-34. 2007..Multicentre practice evaluation in the field of penile prostheses based on the Club des Implanteurs de Prosthèses Péniennes (CIPP) database...
- ["Fast-Track" for laparoscopic-assisted rectum resection--what can be achieved? First results of a feasibility study]H Spatz
Klinik und Poliklinik für Chirurgie, Klinikum der Universitat Regensburg
Zentralbl Chir 131:383-7. 2006....
- [Computer-assisted surgery for acetabular cup positioning in total hip arthroplasty: comparative prospective randomized study]S Parratte
Service de Chirurgie Orthopedique, Hopital Sainte Marguerite, 270, boulevard Sainte Marguerite, BP 29, 13274 Marseille Cedex 09
Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot 93:238-46. 2007..The purpose of this study was to compare computer-assisted acetabular component insertion versus free hand placement...
- Post-operative recovery profile after laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a prospective, observational study of a multimodal anaesthetic regimeK Jensen
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Hvidovre University Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 51:464-71. 2007..We investigated the feasibility and efficacy of a standardized, evidence-based anaesthesia/analgesic regime to identify residual problems in the early post-operative phase...
- Multimodal perioperative plan for radical cystectomy and intestinal urinary diversion. I. Effect on recovery of intestinal function and occurrence of complicationsMassimo Maffezzini
Struttura Complessa di Urologia, E O Ospedali Galliera, Genova, Italy
Urology 69:1107-11. 2007..To discuss a multimodal perioperative plan aimed at reducing postoperative ileus and complications associated with radical cystectomy and urinary reconstruction...
- Cytology and mRNA expression analysis of fine needle aspirates of thyroid nodules in an East German region with borderline iodine deficiencyS Karger
III Medical Department, University of Leipzig, Ph Rosenthal Strasse 27, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Horm Metab Res 38:662-7. 2006....
- [Results of resection of locally recurrent rectal cancer]C Billiet
Departement de Chirurgie, Hotel Dieu, 69288 Lyon Cedex 02, France
Ann Chir 131:601-7. 2006....
- [A case of economizing on blood products for which both the patient and the anaesthesiologists paid dearly]J M Desmonts
département d anesthésie réanimation chirurgicale, CHU Bichat Claude Bernard, université Paris VII Denis Diderot, Paris Cedex 18, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 26:753-7. 2007
- Impact of preoperative anemia on outcome in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgeryAlexander Kulier
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austri
Circulation 116:471-9. 2007..Thus, we determined the effects of low preoperative hemoglobin and comorbidities on postoperative adverse outcomes in patients with coronary artery bypass graft in a large comprehensive multicenter study...
- [Intraoperative endoscopy in laparoscopic fundoplications]Guillermo Becerril-Martinez
Departamento de Cirugía Endoscópica, American British Cowdray Medical Center, IAP
Cir Cir 74:95-9. 2006..Adequate technique is the most important outcome factor. There is no standardized method to evaluate the procedure itself. Intraoperative endoscopy is a method to evaluate laparoscopic fundoplications...
- [The influence of intraoperative fluid therapy on the postoperative outcome in "fast track" colon surgery]C von Heymann
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie und Operative Intensivmedizin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Berlin
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 41:E1-7. 2006..To evaluate the association between the intraoperative and postoperative application of different quantities of fluids and the incidence of postoperative complications after "fast-track"-colonic surgery...
- Perioperative complications and neurological outcomes of first and second craniotomies among patients enrolled in the Glioma Outcome ProjectSusan M Chang
Brain Tumor Research Center, Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0372, USA
J Neurosurg 98:1175-81. 2003..Factors predicting neurological outcome would also be helpful for patient selection for surgically based clinical trials...
- Moderate hypothermia for 359 operations to clip cerebral aneurysmsP Kimme
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Faculty of Health Sciences, University Hospital, S 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
Br J Anaesth 93:343-7. 2004..In this study we examined the feasibility and safety of deliberate moderate perioperative hypothermia during operations for subarachnoid aneurysms...
- Blood transfusion and increased risk for vasospasm and poor outcome after subarachnoid hemorrhageMichelle J Smith
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
J Neurosurg 101:1-7. 2004..In this study the authors hypothesized that patients with SAH who received red blood cell (RBC) transfusions were at greater risk for vasospasm and poor outcome...
- Mitomycin C for pterygium: long term evaluationF Raiskup
Department of Ophthalmology, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Br J Ophthalmol 88:1425-8. 2004..To evaluate long term complications after pterygium excision with mitomycin C (MMC) application...
- Combined surgery for intra-abdominal extra-urinary lesions in patients with renal and/or ureteral malignanciesTso Hsuan Wang
Department or Urology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, ROC
Chang Gung Med J 27:523-30. 2004..Frequently, intra-abdominal extra-urinary lesions are noted preoperatively or intra-operatively in the gastrointestinal or gynecologic tract. We reviewed our experience with patients during an 11-year period...
- Gamma Ray Spectroscopy for Dose Rate ConstantsRavinder Nath; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Real-time in Vivo Dosimetry in Radiation Therapy Using Scintillation DetectorsSam Beddar; Fiscal Year: 2009..The resulting data can also be used to study dose- related treatment side effects. The ultimate goal of utilizing this method is to improve the delivery of radiotherapy treatments and the quality of life of radiotherapy patients. ..
- Signaling Pathways in Medullary Thyroid CancerHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Oral Care and Respiratory Pathogen ColonizationOzan Akca; Fiscal Year: 2004..Reducing respiratory pathogen colonization in the mouth could significantly reduce the morbidity and cost of VAP. ..
- Novel Signaling Targets in GI Neuroendocrine TumorsHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..The possibility that raf-l-mediated hormone suppression could be induced by a soluble factor would provide a plausible, therapeutic delivery method. ..
- Phase II Clinical Trial Utilizing Lithium for Patients with Neuroendocrine TumorsHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2008..Besides surgery, there are limited curative and palliative treatments available to patients with metastatic NE tumors, emphasizing the need for development of other forms of therapy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulating Neuroendocrine Phenotype in CancerHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, these finding may permit development of components of raf-1 pathway as therapeutic targets in the treatment and palliation of NE tumors. ..
- ANTI-SCARRING AND ANTI-INFLAMMATORY EFFECTS OF AMNIOTIC MEMBRANE EXTRACTSScheffer Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Substrate Mapping & Ablation of Ventricular TachycardiaVivek Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Intraoperative 3T MRI Scanner for Minimally Invasive TherapyFerenc Jolesz; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IMAGE GUIDED THERAPY CENTERFerenc Jolesz; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Dynamic Vocal Fold Abduction for Bilateral ParalysisMichael Broniatowski; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Improved Targeting in Minimally Invasive Image-Guided Radio Frequency AblationNeculai Archip; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPMENT OF SUTURELESS AMNIOTIC MEMBRANE GRAFTScheffer Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2007..Taken together, we may further promote our business development by expanding the market potential using Prokera(tm) for suture-less AMT. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TRANSPLANTATION OF EXPANDED LIMBAL EPITHELIAL STEM CELLSScheffer Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pathophysiology of DystoniaJERROLD L contact VITEK; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Hepatic Arterial Flouridine and IV Bevacizumab for Primary Hepatic MalignancyWilliam Jarnagin; Fiscal Year: 2008..Furthermore, several important clinical issues are addressed by the proposed correlative studies, the results of which would be of broad general interest in clinical oncology. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MRI Evaluation of Acute Renal Transplant DysfunctionVivian Lee; Fiscal Year: 2008..At its conclusion, our study has a high likelihood of showing that functional MR renography for differentiating intrinsic renal diseases, will be an accurate tool for acute renal transplant dysfunction. ..
- Novel Cancer Targeting Mechanism for Nuclear ImagingBenjamin Franc; Fiscal Year: 2006..In summary, the targeting strategy developed in this project aims to open the door to novel cancer targets for nuclear imaging. ..
- COMPREHENSIVE MR EVALUATION OF RENOVASCULAR DISEASEVivian Lee; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Gene therapy for chronic heart failureEdward Soltesz; Fiscal Year: 2003..We expect to show that gene transfer of SERCA2a to failing porcine hearts will rescue contractility and lead to ventricular and metabolic remodeling. ..
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP BDavid Sugarbaker; Fiscal Year: 2002..Three stages of group development are described: (1) surgeon recruitment phase; (2) patient recruitment phase (educational activities about adjuvant therapy trials. etc.); and (3) protocol development phase (intellectual activities). ..
- AGE-RELATED CHANGE IN TRIGEMINAL GANGLION EXCITABILITYThomas Baumann; Fiscal Year: 2003..The experiments will contribute to a better understanding of the factors which may contribute to the age-related increase in the incidence of trigeminal neuralgia and other types of oro-facial neuropathic pain. ..
- IN VIVO IMAGING OF FORMATION OF HEPATIC METASTASESJonathan Kruskal; Fiscal Year: 2002..This project will allow identification of a series of in vivo steps that can be used to explore novel diagnostic and therapeutic probes in animal studies. ..
- NEUROPHYSIOLOGY OF TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIAThomas Baumann; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- EX VIVO EXPANSION OF RPE CELLS FOR TRANSPLANTATIONScheffer Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2005..Success in accomplishing these goals will allow us to engineer this new tissue-based "Biologies" to restore sights in patients suffering ARMD or other retinal diseases in which RPE is dysfunctional. ..
- Human Laryngeal Pacing for AspirationMichael Broniatowski; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Alcohol and HIV protease inhibitors interactionsDennis Feierman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Because of the importance of CYP3A4 with respect to HIV-PI drug metabolism, and its induction by ethanol, the interactions of HIV-PI and ethanol are of clinical importance and are the major focus of this proposal. ..
- Measuring the Efficacy of Endovascular Treatment of AAAPeter Faries; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Visualizing the Substrate for Sudden Cardiac DeathVivek Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Robot-Aided Liver Ablation Under 3D Ultrasound GuidanceMichael Choti; Fiscal Year: 2003..In contrast to those, a specific goal of this project is to demonstrate full functional capability with a simple, lightweight and inexpensive system. ..
- Magnetic Resonance Renography:Validation StudiesVivian Lee; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- NABTC Member Intitution Grant (UCSF Project Leader)Susan Chang; Fiscal Year: 2008..The overall goal of this program is to more effectively treat patients with primary brain tumors, especially malignant glioma, with the purpose of increasing the duration and quality of survival. ..
- Optical surveillance of tumor margins in patients undergoing breast conserving suNIMMI RAMANUJAM; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fiber Probe designs for Epithelial Precancer DetectionNIMMI RAMANUJAM; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RADIATION ARTERIOPATHY IN A TRANSGENIC AV FISTULA MODELMichael Lawton; Fiscal Year: 2004..If NO and TGF-01 are involved in the radiation arteriopathy of AVMs, they might be used to enhance the efficacy of conventional stereotactic radiosurgery as part of a gene therapy for high-grade cerebral AVMs. ..
- SUPERHEATED DROP DETECTORS FOR DOSIMETRY IN RADIOTHERAPYRavinder Nath; Fiscal Year: 2005..A Petri-dish-like micro SEC will be developed for the determination of doses at the interface of high Z materials and tissues with capability of measuring doses averaged over layers of about 10 pm thickness. ..
- DOSIMETRY OF BRACHYTHERAPY SOURCES IN MILLIMETER RANGERavinder Nath; Fiscal Year: 2003..The goals of the project are to develop tools for the optimization of dose distributions produced within a target volume and uniformity of dose along and around a blood vessel. ..
- Developing Biomarker-Based Prognostics In Breast CancerJohn Olson; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- SUPERHEATED DROP DETECTORS FOR DOSIMETRY IN RADIOTHERAPYRavinder Nath; Fiscal Year: 2001..The research plan will attempt to exploit the many unique features of the SEC, namely its reusability, high sensitivity and LET discrimination. ..
- Diagnosis of Breast Cancer with Optical SpectroscopyNIMMI RAMANUJAM; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Improving genomic prediction models in breast cancerJohn Olson; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Prevention of Healthcare-Associated Drug-Resistant GNRLisa Maragakis; Fiscal Year: 2006..Maragakis with the skills she needs to develop into an independent clinical investigator in epidemiologic research for the prevention of healthcare-associated infections. ..
- Susceptibility Testing, Treatment Choices, and Outcomes of MDR-GNB InfectionsLisa Maragakis; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research is designed to better understand how providers use information from various microbiology laboratory testing methods to choose treatments and to identify strategies that lead to the best patient outcomes. ..