Genomes and Genes
islets of langerhans transplantation
Summary: The transference of pancreatic islets within an individual, between individuals of the same species, or between individuals of different species.
Publications359 found, 100 shown here
- International trial of the Edmonton protocol for islet transplantationA M James Shapiro
Clinical Islet Transplant Program, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
N Engl J Med 355:1318-30. 2006..We conducted an international, multicenter trial to explore the feasibility and reproducibility of islet transplantation with the use of a single common protocol (the Edmonton protocol)...
- Islet transplantation in seven patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus using a glucocorticoid-free immunosuppressive regimenA M Shapiro
Surgical Medical Research Institute and the Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
N Engl J Med 343:230-8. 2000..Registry data on patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus who undergo pancreatic islet transplantation indicate that only 8 percent are free of the need for insulin therapy at one year...
- Improvement in outcomes of clinical islet transplantation: 1999-2010Franca B Barton
The EMMES Corporation, Rockville, MD, USA
Diabetes Care 35:1436-45. 2012..To describe trends of primary efficacy and safety outcomes of islet transplantation in type 1 diabetes recipients with severe hypoglycemia from the Collaborative Islet Transplant Registry (CITR) from 1999 to 2010...
- State of the art of clinical islet transplantation and novel protocols of immunosuppressionA M James Shapiro
Clinical Islet Transplant Program, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2C8, Canada
Curr Diab Rep 11:345-54. 2011..We review the current status of islet transplantation, and discuss current and future immunosuppressive protocols that will pave the way to more broad application of cellular replacement in diabetes...
- Five-year follow-up after clinical islet transplantationEdmond A Ryan
Department of Medicine, Clinical Islet Transplant Program, 2000 College Plaza, 8215 112th St, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2C8
Diabetes 54:2060-9. 2005..The results, though promising, still point to the need for further progress in the availability of transplantable islets, improving islet engraftment, preserving islet function, and reducing toxic immunosuppression...
- Primary graft function, metabolic control, and graft survival after islet transplantationMarie Christine Vantyghem
University Lille Nord de France, Lille, France
Diabetes Care 32:1473-8. 2009..CONCLUSIONS Optimal PGF was associated with prolonged graft survival and better metabolic control after islet transplantation. This early outcome may represent a valuable end point in future clinical trials...
- Clinical xenotransplantation: the next medical revolution?Burcin Ekser
Thomas E Starzl Transplantation Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Lancet 379:672-83. 2012..Risk of transfer of an infectious microorganism to the recipient is small...
- A novel clinically relevant strategy to abrogate autoimmunity and regulate alloimmunity in NOD miceAndrea Vergani
Transplantation Research Center, Children s Hospital and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes 59:2253-64. 2010....
- Potent induction immunotherapy promotes long-term insulin independence after islet transplantation in type 1 diabetesM D Bellin
The Schulze Diabetes Institute, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Am J Transplant 12:1576-83. 2012..03), regardless of maintenance immunosuppression or other factors. These findings support potential for long-term insulin independence after ITA using potent induction therapy, with anti-CD3 Ab or TCDAb+TNF-α-i...
- Markedly decreased blood perfusion of pancreatic islets transplanted intraportally into the liver: disruption of islet integrity necessary for islet revascularizationJohanna Henriksnäs
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Diabetes 61:665-73. 2012..Since donor endothelial cells do not expand posttransplantation, disruption of islet integrity is necessary for revascularization to occur by recipient blood vessels...
- Rat islet cell aggregates are superior to islets for transplantation in microcapsulesE S O'Sullivan
Section on Islet Transplantation and Cell Biology, Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, One Joslin Place, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Diabetologia 53:937-45. 2010..Small islet cell aggregates were studied to determine if their survival and function were superior to intact islets within microcapsules because of reduced oxygen transport limitation and inflammatory mediators...
- Strategic opportunities in clinical islet transplantationA M James Shapiro
Clinical Islet Transplant Program, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Transplantation 79:1304-7. 2005..Future opportunities to expand the donor pool using living donor islet transplantation are within reach, and will be enhanced considerably with both donor and recipient adjunctive treatment using islet-specific growth-factors...
- Prolonged diabetes reversal after intraportal xenotransplantation of wild-type porcine islets in immunosuppressed nonhuman primatesBernhard J Hering
Diabetes Institute for Immunology and Transplantation, Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, 424 Harvard Street SE, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Nat Med 12:301-3. 2006....
- Structural and functional abnormalities in the islets isolated from type 2 diabetic subjectsShaoping Deng
Department of Surgery, Harrison Department of Surgical Research, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Diabetes 53:624-32. 2004..These results provide direct evidence for abnormalities in the islets of type 2 diabetic patients that may contribute to the pathogenesis of the disease...
- Mesenchymal stem cell and islet co-transplantation promotes graft revascularization and functionTaihei Ito
Southern California Islet Cell Resources Center, Department of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Transplantation 89:1438-45. 2010..Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are known to produce vascular endothelial growth factor. We hypothesize that co-transplantation of MSCs and islets promotes revascularization and improves islet graft function...
- Rapamycin selectively expands CD4+CD25+FoxP3+ regulatory T cellsManuela Battaglia
San Raffaele Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy HSR TIGET, Milan, Italy
Blood 105:4743-8. 2005..Based on this new mode of action, rapamycin can be used to expand CD4(+)CD25(+)FoxP3(+) Tr cells for ex vivo cellular therapy in T-cell-mediated diseases...
- Inflammation-mediated dysfunction and apoptosis in pancreatic islet transplantation: implications for intrahepatic graftsNeal R Barshes
Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, 6550 Fannin, Suite 1628, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Leukoc Biol 77:587-97. 2005....
- Interventional strategies to prevent beta-cell apoptosis in islet transplantationJuliet A Emamaullee
Surgical Medical Research Institute, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2N8
Diabetes 55:1907-14. 2006..In addition, XIAP has enhanced long-term murine islet allograft survival. The complexities of both intrinsic and extrinsic apoptotic pathway inhibition are discussed in depth...
- Histologic graft assessment after clinical islet transplantationChristian Toso
Clinical Islet Transplant Program, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Transplantation 88:1286-93. 2009..An accurate monitoring would help understanding the fate of islet grafts after transplantation...
- Positron emission tomography: a real-time tool to quantify early islet engraftment in a preclinical large animal modelTorsten Eich
Department of Radiology, Oncology and Clinical Immunology, Division of Clinical Immunology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Transplantation 84:893-8. 2007..Therefore, the objective of the present study was to develop a technique for imaging survival of transplanted islets in the peritransplant and early posttransplant phase...
- Live encapsulated porcine islets from a type 1 diabetic patient 9.5 yr after xenotransplantationRobert B Elliott
Living Cell Technologies, Aukland, New Zealand
Xenotransplantation 14:157-61. 2007..The long-term viability and function of transplanted encapsulated neonatal porcine islets was examined in a diabetic patient...
- Clinical magnetic resonance imaging of pancreatic islet grafts after iron nanoparticle labelingC Toso
Cell Isolation and Transplantation Center, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Transplant 8:701-6. 2008..Altogether, this study demonstrates the feasibility and safety of MRI-based islet graft monitoring in clinical practice. Iron overload (spontaneous or induced) represents the major obstacle to the technique...
- Beta-cell death and mass in syngeneically transplanted islets exposed to short- and long-term hyperglycemiaMontserrat Biarnés
Laboratory of Diabetes and Experimental Endocrinology, Endocrine Unit, CSUB Hospital de Bellvitge, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Diabetes 51:66-72. 2002..Increased apoptosis and reduced beta-cell mass were also found in islets exposed to chronic hyperglycemia, suggesting that sustained hyperglycemia increased apoptosis in transplanted beta-cells...
- Successful islet transplantation: continued insulin reserve provides long-term glycemic controlEdmond A Ryan
Department of Medicine, Clinical Islet Transplant Program, University of Alberta and Capital Health Authority, 2000 College Plaza, 8215 112th Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2C8
Diabetes 51:2148-57. 2002..Islet transplantation is a reasonable option in those with severe problems with glycemic lability or hypoglycemia...
- Trophic molecules derived from human mesenchymal stem cells enhance survival, function, and angiogenesis of isolated islets after transplantationKi Soo Park
Department of Molecular Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Transplantation 89:509-17. 2010..We hypothesized that MSC-secreted molecules would induce a trophic effect in pancreatic islet culture conditions...
- Human pancreatic islets produce and secrete MCP-1/CCL2: relevance in human islet transplantationLorenzo Piemonti
Laboratory of Experimental Surgery, Surgical Department, S Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina, Milan, Italy University of Milano Bicocca, Milan, Italy
Diabetes 51:55-65. 2002....
- Optimal implantation site for pancreatic islet transplantationS Merani
Surgical Medical Research Institute, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Br J Surg 95:1449-61. 2008..About half of the islets introduced into the liver die during or shortly after transplantation. Although many patients achieve insulin independence after portal vein infusion of islets, in the long term most resume insulin injections...
- Donor islet endothelial cells in pancreatic islet revascularizationDaniel Nyqvist
The Rolf Luft Research Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Diabetes 60:2571-7. 2011..We have characterized how donor islet endothelial cells (DIECs) may contribute to the revascularization rate, vascular density, and endocrine graft function after transplantation of freshly isolated and cultured islets...
- Positron emission tomography in clinical islet transplantationO Eriksson
Department of Radiology, Oncology and Clinical Immunology, Division of Radiology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Am J Transplant 9:2816-24. 2009..The technique has potential to be used to assess approaches to enhance islet survival and engraftment in clinical transplantation...
- In vivo imaging of islet transplantationNatalia V Evgenov
Molecular Imaging Laboratory, MGH MIT HMS Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Room 2301, Building 149, 13th Street, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Nat Med 12:144-8. 2006..We anticipate that the information obtained in this study would ultimately result in the ability to detect and monitor islet engraftment in humans, which would greatly aid the clinical management of this disease...
- Proliferation of sorted human and rat beta cellsG Parnaud
Department of Genetic Medicine and Development, University Medical Center, 1 rue Michel Servet, 1211, Geneva 4, Switzerland
Diabetologia 51:91-100. 2008..The aim of the study was to determine whether purified beta cells can replicate in vitro and whether this is enhanced by extracellular matrix (ECM) and growth factors...
- Differentiation of embryonic stem cells to insulin-secreting structures similar to pancreatic isletsN Lumelsky
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892-4092, USA
Science 292:1389-94. 2001..When injected into diabetic mice, the insulin-producing cells undergo rapid vascularization and maintain a clustered, islet-like organization...
- Single-donor, marginal-dose islet transplantation in patients with type 1 diabetesBernhard J Hering
Diabetes Institute for Immunology and Transplantation and Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
JAMA 293:830-5. 2005..However, for islet transplants to become a widespread clinical reality, diabetes reversal must be achieved with a single donor to reduce risks and costs and increase the availability of transplantation...
- Combining antigen-based therapy with GABA treatment synergistically prolongs survival of transplanted ß-cells in diabetic NOD miceJide Tian
Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e25337. 2011....
- Inotuzumab ozogamicin murine analog-mediated B-cell depletion reduces anti-islet allo- and autoimmune responsesMichele Carvello
Transplant Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes 61:155-65. 2012..Anti-CD22/cal-mediated B-cell depletion promotes the reduction of the anti-islet immune response in various models of islet transplantation...
- Update on islet transplantationMichael McCall
Clinical Islet Transplant Program and Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2B7, Canada
Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med 2:a007823. 2012....
- Mesenchymal stem cells prevent the rejection of fully allogenic islet grafts by the immunosuppressive activity of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9Yunchuan Ding
Transplantation Research Immunology Group, Nuffield Department of Surgery, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Diabetes 58:1797-806. 2009..Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are known to be capable of suppressing immune responses, but the molecular mechanisms involved and the therapeutic potential of MSCs remain to be clarified...
- Recurrent autoimmunity accelerates destruction of minor and major histoincompatible islet grafts in nonobese diabetic (NOD) miceT Okitsu
Division of Transplantation, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA
Am J Transplant 1:138-45. 2001..032). In conclusion, autoimmune processes facilitate the alloimmune response to minor and major histocompatibility antigens and accelerate graft destruction. The same autoimmune processes are more pronounced in the intraportal site...
- Trimodal gadolinium-gold microcapsules containing pancreatic islet cells restore normoglycemia in diabetic mice and can be tracked by using US, CT, and positive-contrast MR imagingDian R Arifin
Division of MR Research, Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 720 Rutland Ave, 217 Traylor, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Radiology 260:790-8. 2011..To develop microcapsules that immunoprotect pancreatic islet cells for treatment of type I diabetes and enable multimodal cellular imaging of transplanted islet cells...
- Alternative transplantation sites for pancreatic islet graftsElisa Cantarelli
San Raffaele Diabetes Research Institute, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Curr Diab Rep 11:364-74. 2011..This review discusses site-specific benefits and drawbacks taking into account immunologic, metabolic, and technical aspects to identify the ideal microenvironment for islet function and survival...
- Adoptive transfer with in vitro expanded human regulatory T cells protects against porcine islet xenograft rejection via interleukin-10 in humanized miceShounan Yi
Centre for Transplant and Renal Research, Westmead Millennium Institute, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
Diabetes 61:1180-91. 2012....
- A low-oxygenated subpopulation of pancreatic islets constitutes a functional reserve of endocrine cellsRichard Olsson
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Diabetes 60:2068-75. 2011..Although islet oxygenation has been extensively studied in vitro, little is known about it in vivo. The current study aimed to investigate the oxygenation of the endocrine pancreas in vivo...
- A new cell-permeable peptide allows successful allogeneic islet transplantation in miceHirofumi Noguchi
Department of Physiology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama, 700 8558 Japan
Nat Med 10:305-9. 2004..In addition, it did not affect insulin secretion, whereas FK506 caused a dose-dependent decrease in insulin secretion. Cell-permeable peptides can thus provide a new strategy for drug development and may eventually be useful clinically...
- Stimulated endocrine cell proliferation and differentiation in transplanted human pancreatic islets: effects of the ob gene and compensatory growth of the implantation organB Tyrberg
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Sweden
Diabetes 50:301-7. 2001..Altogether, these data and previous results from our laboratory suggest that human beta-cell neogenesis becomes more dependent on differentiation and less dependent on proliferation with increasing age...
- Kidney function after islet transplant alone in type 1 diabetes: impact of immunosuppressive therapy on progression of diabetic nephropathyPaola Maffi
Department of Medicine, Transplant Unit, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milano, Italy
Diabetes Care 30:1150-5. 2007..The aim of our study was to assess the impact of the Edmonton immunosuppressive protocol (tacrolimus-sirolimus association) on kidney function...
- Sustained function of alginate-encapsulated human islet cell implants in the peritoneal cavity of mice leading to a pilot study in a type 1 diabetic patientD Jacobs-Tulleneers-Thevissen
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090, Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 56:1605-14. 2013..This study examined in immunodeficient mice whether alginate-encapsulated graft function was inferior to that of free grafts of the same size and composition...
- Bone marrow as an alternative site for islet transplantationElisa Cantarelli
San Raffaele Diabetes Research Institute, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Blood 114:4566-74. 2009..The results of our study open a research line with potentially significant clinical impact, not only for the treatment of diabetes, but also for other diseases amenable to treatment with cellular transplantation...
- Prolonged survival of fetal pig islet xenografts in mice lacking the capacity for an indirect responseMaria Koulmanda
Islet Transplantation Research Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Xenotransplantation 11:525-30. 2004....
- Comparison of the portal vein and kidney subcapsule as sites for primate islet autotransplantationAmer Rajab
Department of Surgery, Division of Transplantation, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Cell Transplant 17:1015-23. 2008..The other four animals remained hyperglycemic. We conclude that the portal vein is superior to the kidney subcapsule as a site for islet transplantation in nonhuman primates 10 days posttransplantation...
- Rapamycin monotherapy in patients with type 1 diabetes modifies CD4+CD25+FOXP3+ regulatory T-cellsPaolo Monti
Telethon Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Center for Beta Cell Replacement, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Diabetes 57:2341-7. 2008..Preclinical murine models have shown that rapamycin enhances nTreg proliferation and regulatory function also in vivo. Objective of this study was to assess whether rapamycin has in vivo effects on human nTregs...
- Porcine CTLA4-Ig prolong islet xenografts in rats by downregulating the direct pathway of T-cell activationChao Zhai
Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital, Medical College, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, China
Xenotransplantation 18:40-5. 2011..Porcine pancreatic islets fused with pCTLA4-Ig were transplanted into diabetic rats. Xenografts survival was observed, and the underlying immunological rejection mechanisms were investigated...
- The role of the innate immunity in islet transplantationLisa Moberg
Department of Oncology, Radiology and Clinical Immunology, Uppsala University Hospital, Sweden
Ups J Med Sci 110:17-55. 2005..These findings have provided new insight into the nature of the IBMIR and offer several new strategies to improve the outcome of clinical islet transplantation...
- Liraglutide, a long-acting human glucagon-like peptide 1 analogue, improves human islet survival in cultureChristian Toso
Clinical Islet Transplant Program, Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Transpl Int 23:259-65. 2010..Overall, these data demonstrate the beneficial effect of liraglutide on cultured human islets, preserving islet mass. They support the design of clinical studies looking at the effect of liraglutide in clinical islet transplantation...
- Sustained reversal of diabetes following islet transplantation to striated musculature in the ratTormod Lund
Surgical Clinic, Section for Transplantation, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
J Surg Res 160:145-54. 2010..In the present study, a technique for intramuscular islet transplantation was developed and compared with intraportal islet transplantation in a syngeneic rat model...
- Islet surface heparinization prevents the instant blood-mediated inflammatory reaction in islet transplantationSanja Cabric
Division of Clinical Immunology, Department of Oncology, Radiology, and Clinical Immunology, The Rudbeck Laboratory, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Diabetes 56:2008-15. 2007..To avoid systemic treatment, the aim of the present study was to render the islet graft blood biocompatible by applying a continuous heparin coating to the islet surface...
- Low revascularization of human islets when experimentally transplanted into the liverJoey Lau
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Transplantation 87:322-5. 2009..Human islets transplanted intraportally into the liver become poorly revascularized. This could contribute to the loss of function in human islets transplanted into the liver over time...
- Inhibition of thrombin abrogates the instant blood-mediated inflammatory reaction triggered by isolated human islets: possible application of the thrombin inhibitor melagatran in clinical islet transplantationLisa Ozmen
Department of Radiology, Oncology and Clinical Immunology, Division of Clinical Immunology, The Rudbeck Laboratory, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Diabetes 51:1779-84. 2002..This protective effect indicates that thrombin plays a pivotal role in IBMIR and suggests that thrombin inhibition can improve the outcome of clinical islet transplantation...
- Preparatory studies of composite mesenchymal stem cell islets for application in intraportal islet transplantationIda Rasmusson Duprez
Uppsala University, Department of Oncology, Radiology and Clinical Immunology, Division of Clinical Immunology, The Rudbeck Laboratory, Uppsala, Sweden
Ups J Med Sci 116:8-17. 2011..In this study, we investigated the capacity of human mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) to adhere to human islets of Langerhans and their effects in immune modulation and during blood interactions in vitro...
- In vivo non-viral gene delivery of human vascular endothelial growth factor improves revascularisation and restoration of euglycaemia after human islet transplantation into mouse liverM Shimoda
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Baylor University Medical Center, Baylor Heart and Vascular Institute, 621 North Hall St, Suite H030, Dallas, TX 75226, USA
Diabetologia 53:1669-79. 2010..Here we examined the effect of non-viral VEGF delivery using UTMD on transplanted islets in vivo...
- Revascularization of transplanted islets: can it be improved?Marcela Brissova
Department of Medicine, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Diabetes 57:2269-71. 2008
- Liver ischemia contributes to early islet failure following intraportal transplantation: benefits of liver ischemic-preconditioningD Yin
Section of Transplantation, Department of Surgery, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Transplant 6:60-8. 2006..These data suggest that islet embolism in the portal vein is a major cause of functional loss following IPIT that can be prevented by liver IP...
- Revascularization and microcirculation of freely grafted islets of LangerhansM D Menger
Institute for Clinical and Experimental Surgery, University of Saarland, D-66421 Homburg/Saar, Germany
World J Surg 25:509-15. 2001..The improvement of islet graft vascularization and the maintenance of adequate microvascular perfusion will contribute to the increased success of pancreatic islet transplantation...
- Noninvasive high-resolution in vivo imaging of cell biology in the anterior chamber of the mouse eyeStephan Speier
The Rolf Luft Research Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital L1, SE 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Nat Protoc 3:1278-86. 2008..Transplantation to the anterior chamber of the eye takes 25 min, and in vivo imaging 1-5 h, depending on the features monitored...
- Alginate-based microcapsules for immunoisolation of pancreatic isletsPaul De Vos
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Division of Medical Biology, University Hospital of Groningen, Hanzeplein 1, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Biomaterials 27:5603-17. 2006..New approaches in which newly discovered inflammatory responses are silenced bring the technology of transplantation of immunoisolated cells close to clinical application...
- Mesenchymal stem cells enhance allogeneic islet engraftment in nonhuman primatesDora M Berman
Diabetes Research Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, USA
Diabetes 59:2558-68. 2010..To test the graft-promoting effects of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) in a cynomolgus monkey model of islet/bone marrow transplantation...
- Clinical islet transplantation: advances and immunological challengesCamillo Ricordi
University of Miami School of Medicine, Diabetes Research Institute, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Nat Rev Immunol 4:259-68. 2004
- Autoantibody response to islet transplantation in type 1 diabetesE Bosi
Medicine and Surgery, San Raffaele Hospital Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Diabetes 50:2464-71. 2001..These data are consistent with a reactivation of autoimmunity that may be dependent on immunosuppression therapy and is associated with impaired graft function...
- Adeno-associated virus-mediated IL-10 gene therapy inhibits diabetes recurrence in syngeneic islet cell transplantation of NOD miceY Clare Zhang
Department of Pathology, University of Florida, 1600 SW Archer Road, Gainesville, FL 32610 0275, USA
Diabetes 52:708-16. 2003..These studies support the utility of immunoregulatory cytokine gene therapy delivered by rAAV for preventing autoimmune disease recurrence in transplant-based therapies for type 1 diabetes...
- Measurements of oxygen tension in native and transplanted rat pancreatic isletsP O Carlsson
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Sweden
Diabetes 47:1027-32. 1998..e., when revascularization has occurred. Furthermore, persistent hyperglycemia in the recipient leads to a further decrease in graft oxygen tension. To what extent this may contribute to islet graft failure is at present unknown...
- Magnetic resonance imaging of transplanted mouse islets labeled with chitosan-coated superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticlesJ H Juang
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung University and Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Transplant Proc 42:2104-8. 2010..Our results indicate that isolated mouse islets labeled with CSPIO nanoparticles can be effectively and safely imaged by using MRI as long as 18 weeks after transplantation...
- Five stages of evolving beta-cell dysfunction during progression to diabetesGordon C Weir
Section on Islet Transplantation and Cell Biology, Joslin Diabetes Center, One Joslin Place, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Diabetes 53:S16-21. 2004..For type 1 diabetes, as remission develops, progression from stage 4 to stage 2 is typically found. Delineation of these stages provides insight into the pathophysiology of both progression and remission of diabetes...
- Clinical outcomes and insulin secretion after islet transplantation with the Edmonton protocolE A Ryan
Department of Medicine, Surgical Medical Research Institute, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Diabetes 50:710-9. 2001..An elevation of creatinine appears to be a contraindication to this immunosuppressive regimen. For the subjects who had labile type 1 diabetes that was difficult to control, the risk-to-benefit ratio is in favor of islet transplantation...
- IL-1 blockade attenuates islet amyloid polypeptide-induced proinflammatory cytokine release and pancreatic islet graft dysfunctionClara Westwell-Roper
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V5Z 4H4
J Immunol 187:2755-65. 2011..These data raise the possibility that islet amyloid-induced inflammation contributes to β cell dysfunction in type 2 diabetes and islet transplantation...
- Increased numbers of low-oxygenated pancreatic islets after intraportal islet transplantationRichard Olsson
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Diabetes 60:2350-3. 2011..No previous study has measured the oxygenation of intraportally transplanted islets, although recent data suggest that insufficient engraftment may result in hypoxia and loss of islet cells...
- B lymphocyte-directed immunotherapy promotes long-term islet allograft survival in nonhuman primatesChengyang Liu
Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Nat Med 13:1295-8. 2007..Development of donor-specific alloantibodies was abrogated only in the setting of continued rapamycin monotherapy...
- Reversal of established autoimmune diabetes by restoration of endogenous beta cell functionS Ryu
Immunobiology Laboratory, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
J Clin Invest 108:63-72. 2001..A therapy aimed at the selective elimination of autoreactive cells and the reeducation of T cells, when combined with control of glycemia, is thus able to effect an apparent cure of established type 1 diabetes in the NOD mouse...
- Influence of microenvironment on engraftment of transplanted β-cellsPer Ola Carlsson
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Ups J Med Sci 116:1-7. 2011....
- Tissue factor produced by the endocrine cells of the islets of Langerhans is associated with a negative outcome of clinical islet transplantationHelena Johansson
The Rudbeck Laboratory, University Hospital, 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Diabetes 54:1755-62. 2005..In conclusion, tissue factor present in both the islets and the culture medium and elicits IBMIR, which affects the function of the transplanted islets...
- Clinical and experimental pancreatic islet transplantation to striated muscle: establishment of a vascular system similar to that in native isletsGustaf Christoffersson
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Diabetes 59:2569-78. 2010..The aim of the current study was to evaluate striated muscle as a potential angiogenic site for islet transplantation...
- Magnetic resonance imaging of pancreatic islets transplanted into the liver in humansFrantisek Saudek
Diabetes Center, Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Prague, Czech Republic
Transplantation 90:1602-6. 2010..We report the first results of a pilot trial aiming to test the feasibility and safety of this technique in humans...
- Noninvasive imaging of islet grafts using positron-emission tomographyYuxin Lu
Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1735, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:11294-9. 2006..These studies lay a foundation for noninvasive quantitative assessments of islet graft survival using PET...
- Islet transplantation a decade later and strategies for filling a half-full glassR Paul Robertson
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Departments of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes 59:1285-91. 2010..In the end, I hope to strike a positive note about where this procedure is going, and how it will be applied to establish insulin independence in patients with type 1 diabetes...
- Prolonged insulin independence after islet allotransplants in recipients with type 1 diabetesM D Bellin
Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Am J Transplant 8:2463-70. 2008..Our results suggest this immunosuppressive protocol may allow long-term graft survival...
- Inhibition of Th17 cells regulates autoimmune diabetes in NOD miceJuliet A Emamaullee
Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes 58:1302-11. 2009..The effect of neutralizing anti-IL-17 and recombinant IL-25 on the development of diabetes in NOD mice, a model of spontaneous autoimmune diabetes, was investigated in this study...
- Widespread amyloid deposition in transplanted human pancreatic isletsGunilla T Westermark
N Engl J Med 359:977-9. 2008
- Gene expression of VEGF and its receptors Flk-1/KDR and Flt-1 in cultured and transplanted rat isletsB Vasir
Joslin Diabetes Center and Dept. of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Transplantation 71:924-35. 2001....
- Role of CCL2/MCP-1 in islet transplantationRaffaella Melzi
Beta Cell Biology Unit, Diabetes Research Institute, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Cell Transplant 19:1031-46. 2010..Strategies to selectively decrease recipient, but not donor, CCL2 release may increase the success of islet transplantation...
- Generation of pancreatic hormone-expressing islet-like cell aggregates from murine adipose tissue-derived stem cellsVikash Chandra
National Centre for Cell Science, Ganeshkhind, Pune, India
Stem Cells 27:1941-53. 2009..p. into streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice, restored normoglycemia within 2 weeks. The data presented here demonstrate the feasibility of using ASCs as a source of autologous stem cells to differentiate into the pancreatic lineage...
- Human islet cell implants in a nude rat model of diabetes survive better in omentum than in liver with a positive influence of beta cell number and purityD Jacobs-Tulleneers-Thevissen
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University VUB, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 53:1690-9. 2010..The reasons for losses in donor cells are difficult to assess in patients. This study in streptozotocin-diabetic nude rats examines whether outcome is better in an extra-hepatic site such as omentum...
- Inhibition of p38 pathway suppresses human islet production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and improves islet graft functionTakeru Matsuda
Southern California Islet Cell Resources Center, Department of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, City of Hope National Medical Center Beckman Research Institute, Duarte, CA, USA
Am J Transplant 5:484-93. 2005..These results suggest that inhibition of the p38 pathway may become a new therapeutic strategy to improve graft survival in clinical islet transplantation...
- Fluorocapsules for improved function, immunoprotection, and visualization of cellular therapeutics with MR, US, and CT imagingBrad P Barnett
Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Division of MR Research, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 720 Rutland Ave, 217 Traylor, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Radiology 258:182-91. 2011..To develop novel immunoprotective alginate microcapsule formulations containing perfluorocarbons (PFCs) that may increase cell function, provide immunoprotection for xenografted cells, and simultaneously enable multimodality imaging...
- Sirolimus is associated with reduced islet engraftment and impaired beta-cell functionNan Zhang
Department of Gene and Cell Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Diabetes 55:2429-36. 2006..These data suggest that sirolimus, administered in the early posttransplantation phase, is a confounding factor for reduced islet engraftment and impaired beta-cell function in transplants...
- Prevalence of hepatic steatosis after islet transplantation and its relation to graft functionRavi Bhargava
Department of Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging, 2A2 42 Walter C Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre, University of Alberta, 8440 112 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2B7, Canada
Diabetes 53:1311-7. 2004..001). MRI-detected steatosis is a common finding; the steatosis appears to be due to a paracrine action of insulin secreted from intrahepatic islets. Hepatic steatosis may be associated with insulin resistance or graft dysfunction...
- Islet transplantation for brittle type 1 diabetes: the UIC protocolA Gangemi
Division of Transplantation Department of Surgery, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Am J Transplant 8:1250-61. 2008..1 to 5.8 +/- 0.3 after 1 Tx in Group 2). HYPO scores markedly decreased in both groups. Combined treatment of etanercept and exenatide improves islet graft function and facilitates achievement of insulin-independence with less islets...
- Composite islet-endothelial cell grafts: a novel approach to counteract innate immunity in islet transplantationUlrika Johansson
Department of Radiology, Oncology and Clinical Immunology, Division of Clinical Immunology, Uppsala University, Sweden
Am J Transplant 5:2632-9. 2005....
- Expression of Fas but not Fas ligand on fetal pig beta cellsLijun Bai
Diabetes Transplant Unit, Prince of Wales Hospital, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Xenotransplantation 11:426-35. 2004....
- Mesenchymal cells appearing in pancreatic tissue culture are bone marrow-derived stem cells with the capacity to improve transplanted islet functionValeria Sordi
San Raffaele Diabetes Research Institute, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, 20132 Milan, Italy
Stem Cells 28:140-51. 2010..These results suggest that pMSCs could exert an indirect role of "helper" cells in tissue repair processes...
- MRI assessment of ischemic liver after intraportal islet transplantationNaoaki Sakata
Department of Pediatrics, Islet Transplant Laboratory, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, CA, USA
Transplantation 87:825-30. 2009..The resultant ischemia causes necrosis or apoptosis of cells within the liver. Thus, noninvasive assessment of the liver receiving the islet transplant is important to evaluate the status islet grafts...
- A novel method for quantitative monitoring of transplanted islets of langerhans by positive contrast magnetic resonance imagingL A Crowe
Department of Radiology Cell Isolation and Transplant Center, Department of Surgery, University of Geneva School of Medicine and Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Transplant 11:1158-68. 2011..This imaging protocol reliably quantifies transplanted islet mass and has high translational potential to clinical studies of transplanted pancreatic islets...
- Imaging islets labeled with magnetic nanoparticles at 1.5 TeslaJoo Ho Tai
FRCPath, Novartis Stiller Professor of Xenotransplantation, Robarts Research Institute, Room 200, SDRI Building, University of Western Ontario, 1400 Western Rd, London, Ontario, Canada
Diabetes 55:2931-8. 2006..These data provide evidence that islets can be labeled with SPIO and imaged using clinically available 1.5- T MRI...
- Long-term islet allograft survival in nonobese diabetic mice treated with tacrolimus, rapamycin, and anti-interleukin-2 antibodyR Damaris Molano
Cell Transplant Center, Diabetes Research Institute, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Transplantation 75:1812-9. 2003....
- Spleen regulation of beta-cell regenerationAnita Chong; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Synergistic Roles of Adiponectin & PPARgamma in Beta-Cell Survival/ProliferationWilliam L Holland; Fiscal Year: 2010..The PANIC ATTAC mouse allows the unique opportunity to evaluate beta cell regeneration following the cell specific and titratable induction of apoptosis. ..
- Growth Factor and Antiapoptotic Gene Delivery to Human IsletsRam I Mahato; Fiscal Year: 2012..This will decrease the number of islets required to achieve normoglycemia in type I diabetic patients. ..
- CTGF promotes beta cell proliferation &revascularization in islet transplantsUma Gunasekaran; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- PET Imaging Agent for Diabetes MellitusJOGESH MUKHERJEE; Fiscal Year: 2010..application addresses broad Challenge Area (03) Biomarker Discovery and Validation and specific Challenge Topic 03-DK-101: "Discovery of biomarkers for disease risk, progression or response to therapy in diseases of interest to NINDK" ..
- SECRETION AND BIOSYNTHESIS OF INSULINMichael L McDaniel; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Neural control of adaptive Beta-cell growth in insulin resistant ratsWILLIAM CHARLES DIAZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..Ultimately, further understanding of neurally influenced growth of b-cells may even lead to improvements in islet transplantation and, conceivably, through enhanced functional mass through pharmacological means. ..
- Novel Strategies to Increase Insulin Independence after Islet AutotransplantationHongjun Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Role of macrophages in pancreatic islet graft rejectionMidhat H Abdulreda; Fiscal Year: 2013..These findings will have implications in transplantation therapies in general, as well as in cancer and autoimmune conditions. ..
- Delayed Tolerance Induction in Living Related Donor Renal Transplant RecipientsSuzanne T Ildstad; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Epigenomics of the regenerating and aging beta-cellKlaus H Kaestner; Fiscal Year: 2013..If successful, this novel approach holds great promise for the development of innovative treatments for diabetes. ..
- Islet and Mesenchymal Stem Cell Co-transplantation Prevents Onset of DiabetesHongjun Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Based on our active islet transplantation program at MUSC, this treatment procedure can be readily translated into therapy to benefit patient care. ..
- ATF3 and iNOS in Islet Distruction and Graft RejectionTsonwin Hai; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- ENVIRONMENTAL BETA CELL TOXINS - MECHANISMS OF ACTIONGlenn Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2012..The studies in this aim will explore whether the fusion proteins developed in the first aim can be used to help overcome this problem. ..
- Parathyroid Hormone-Related Protein and the Pancreatic Beta CellRupangi C Vasavada; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- 2011 Rachmiel Levine Diabetes and Obesity Symposium: Advances in Diabetes BiologyFouad R Kandeel; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Hepatocyte Growth Factor and the Pancreatic Beta CellAdolfo Garcia-Ocana; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- T Cell Memory in Organ TransplantationFadi G Lakkis; Fiscal Year: 2010..Congenic markers will be used to track adoptively transferred CD8 memory T cells. Gene knockout mice and monoclonal antibodies will be used to examine the roles of chemokine receptors and adhesion molecules. ..
- Role of the Hippo Pathway in Pancreas DevelopmentNicholas George; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Fas pathway in organ-specific tolerance and autoimmunityABDEL HAMAD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Identifying the mechanisms by which blockade of the Fas pathway prevents autoimmune diabetes in animal models could prove useful in developing new therapeutic strategies for T1D. ..
- Pancreas perfusion with PFC-UnisolMICHAEL JOHN TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2011..This research is focused on the development of a new alternative technique to sustain oxygen delivery to the organ using perfusion technology with new inert oxygen-carrying solutions. ..
- Non-Enzymatic Cryogenic Isolation of Therapeutic CellsMICHAEL JOHN TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- PANCREAS AND ISLET TRANSPLANTATION IN HUMANSRODERICK PAUL ROBERTSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..We envision the results will provide novel insights that will pertain not only to improving outcomes in TP/AIT recipients but also insights that will improve outcomes in alloislet transplantation for type 1 diabetic patients. ..
- Pancreas Imaging by Pretargeting the Islet Beta CellsGuozheng Liu; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Array development of anti-inflammatory peptoid-graft polymers for islet deliveryMatthew Webber; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Adipose Stromal Cells and Vasculogenesis: Tissue Perfusion and Islet SurvivalKEITH LEONARD MARCH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Successful work to treat diabetes and diabetic vascular disease will markedly improve the effectiveness, and may indeed decrease longterm costs of healthcare in the Veterans Administration system. ..
- Novel Costimulation Blockers in Islet TransplantationScott M Krummey; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Endocrine pancreatic cell regeneration from bone marrowMehboob A Hussain; Fiscal Year: 2010..4) To identify the cell type within BM that contributes to the pancreatic endocrine cell population. The long-term goal of these studies is to evaluate transplantation of BM derived cells as a potential treatment for diabetes mellitus. ..
- Development of Human beta cell-specific AAV Vectors for Type I DiabetesRoland M Tisch; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this way, initial steps wil be taken towards our long-term goal of using AAV vectors to establish [unreadable] cell-specific and/or islet graft tolerance for human T1D. ..
- Improving islet transplantation outcome with Akt1Hongju Wu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Success of this study is expected to have significant impact in the field of islet transplantation treatment for type 1 diabetes. ..
- Treg suppression of islet allograft rejectionRamakrishna Vankayalapati; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Clinical Refinement of islet transplantationNICOLE ANN TURGEON; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- ApoFasL as a novel treatment for Type 1 Diabetes in Nonhuman PrimatesHaval Shirwan; Fiscal Year: 2011..This novel therapy has the potential to break new grounds for the clinical treatment of T1D. ..
- PHOSPHOLIPID-DERIVED MEDIATORS AND INSULIN SECRETIONJohn W Turk; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have prepared mouse embryonic stem cells in which an iPLA2p allele has been disrupted by homologous recombination as a step to generate mice that do not express the enzyme. ..
- Dynamic Dendronized Polymers for Effective siRNA Delivery to Pancreatic IsletsZhibin Guan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Successful demonstration of this project will introduce a new generation of synthetic vectors for siRNA delivery and improve the outcome of islets transplantation and help developing treatment for type 1 diabetes. ..
- Combined siRNA Therapy and In-vivo Imaging in Islet TransplantationAnna Moore; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- NOVEL THERMAL REVERSIBLE POLYMER (TRG) FOR HUMAN ISLET ENCAPSULATION AND IMPLANTADavid W Scharp; Fiscal Year: 2011..The next phase of this study will be to advance these studies onto large diabetic animals to determine what would be required to take this novel new encapsulating gel into a clinical product for patients with diabetes. ..
- Two Phase Approach to Pancreatic Islet TransplantationBHUPINDER SINGH SHERGILL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The mentoring team will guide the trainee in this high impact and multidisciplinary approach toward the reversal of type 1 diabetes. ..
- Mechanisms Regulating Functional Beta-cell RecoveryGordon P Meares; Fiscal Year: 2010..If AMPK controls a survival pathway this would potentially be a new target for therapeutic intervention to attenuate [unreadable]-cell loss in prediabetic persons and in islet transplantation. ..
- Human islet transplantation on microporous scaffoldsLonnie D Shea; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this proposal, we investigate the ability of the scaffolds to enhance engraftment and function of human islets. ..
- A perfluorocarbon-based culture device for beta cell biology applications (PhaseCamillo Ricordi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Success in these studies will also provide proof of principle of the superiority of our oxygen enhancing technology for many other cell culture applications. ..
- Sitagliptin therapy to improve outcomes after islet autotransplantation.Melena D Bellin; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project will explore patient characteristics and an intervention which may improve the success of islet transplant. ..
- Protein-Releasing Microporous Scaffolds for Cell Replacement TherapyLonnie D Shea; Fiscal Year: 2013..These scaffolds provide a support for cell growth and can deliver proteins which will be to enhance cell survival and function following islet transplantation. ..
- Protein Kinase C (PKC) Zeta and the Pancreatic Beta CellAdolfo Garcia-Ocana; Fiscal Year: 2012..If translated into humans, activation of PKC ? may be an attractive therapeutic strategy for expanding beta cell mass and function in patients with diabetes. ..
- Lipid Mediators in Pancreatic Islet DysfunctionJerry L Nadler; Fiscal Year: 2010..The findings should provide new methods to preserve beta-cell mass ultimately leading to new therapeutic modalities to prevent T1DM and improve ability to reverse T1DM using islet transplantation. ..
- Approaches to Tolerance of Allogeneic Kidney and Islet TransplantsDavid H Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- UCHSC Diabetes and Endocrinology Research CenterJohn C Hutton; Fiscal Year: 2010..iicnsc.edu/inisc/diabetes/derc) that also serves as the major conduit for the advertising, ordering and billing for Core services that are offered on a discounted fee-for-service basis to DERC members. ..
- Contribution of Toll-like receptor signaling in islet transplantationBernd Schroppel; Fiscal Year: 2010..A detailed understanding of their role in islet recovery and transplantation may provide new therapeutic approaches in islet transplantation without toxic effects on islet cells and without compromising the whole immune system. ..
- Bioactive Gels that Promote Long-Term Islet Survival and FunctionKristi S Anseth; Fiscal Year: 2012..If successful, this strategy will prolong the duration and function of transplanted pancreatic tissue without the need for life-long administration of immunosuppressive drugs. ..
- Beta Cell Specific Microfluidic Perifusion and Imaging for Islet Potency TestingJose Oberholzer; Fiscal Year: 2013..This microfluidic system could represent a reliable islet potency assay for current and future islet replacement therapies, as well as for the study of new diabetes therapies in general. ..
- A Bioengineering Approach to Create Immunorejection Free Human Pancreatic IsletsLuguang Luo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our long term goal is to identify the mechanism(s) by which encapsulated islets plus BM cells sustain islet function in vivo and prevent islet rejection in the absence of generalized immunosuppression for translation to the clinic. ..
- A Novel Approach of beta Cell Replacement to Reverse Type I Diabetes in NOD MiceRoland M Tisch; Fiscal Year: 2013..Experiments will also be included to assess the effects of ectopic prolactin expression on inflammation in the pancreas. ..
- Pediatric Endocrine Fellowship Training in Diabetes ResearchCHARLES ALFRED STANLEY; Fiscal Year: 2012..This shortage has been emphasized by the American Diabetes Association, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, and the Pediatric Academic Societies. ..
- Targeting Blys/Baff in non-human primate islet transplantationAli Naji; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will test this clinically pertinent concept in the setting of islet alo-transplantation in Cynomolgus monkeys. ..
- STEM CELL-DERIVED INSUIN PRODUCING CELLS CORRECT HYPERGLYCEMIA IN DIABETIC MICENicholas Zavazava; Fiscal Year: 2013..These experiments are based on both mouse ES cells and on human iPS cells. If we are successful, we will establish a novel source of IPCs that will have a direct impact on the health and treatment of Veterans. ..
- Suppression of Allograft Rejection by A Novel Protein ESAT-6Buka Samten; Fiscal Year: 2013..Therefore this project has important clinical implications for the cure of type 1 diabetes by islet transplantation and perhaps other end-stage organ diseases via solid organ transplantation. ..
- Effects of Lymphangiogenesis Blockade on Skin Allograft RejectionGILLES A BENICHOU; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Career Development Program in Pediatric Diabetes Research (K12) at CHOPSteven M Willi; Fiscal Year: 2013..and is strongly supported by access to a superb range of institutional resources, including the CHOP CTRC and the UPenn DERC. ..
- CXCR3 Chemokines in Type I DiabetesMatthias von Herrath; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 1: Importance of IP-10 in the pathogenesis of T1D - therapeutic blockade and mechanistic analyses. Aim 2: Importance of IP-10 during islet allograft rejection - therapeutic blockade and mechanistic analyses. ..
- DIACEST Islet Cell Capsules for Immunoprotection, MR Detection, and pH SensingMichael T McMahon; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal is focused on the production of immunoprotective islet cell capsules which are appropriate for treatment and allow MR monitoring of the pH these islets using biodegradable CEST contrast agents. ..
- Islet Transplant - Costimulatory Blockage with LEA29YANDREW M SHAPIRO; Fiscal Year: 2011..The combination of the CIT consortium trials will change the face of future clinical islet transplantation therapy. ..
- ECDI Coupled Cells for Tolerance in Allogeniec Islet Cell Transplantation for T1DXunrong Luo; Fiscal Year: 2010..Successful completion of the proposed study will have significant impact on therapeutic options for patients with type 1 diabetes. ..
- Interdisciplinary studies in hormone functionNeil Aronin; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Pig to Non-Human Primate Islet XenograftsBernhard Hering; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies are unique and will generate new data on pig-to-NHP XPITx immunobiology and the immune mechanisms influencing development of pig XPITx tolerance. ..
- Program Project,Restoration of Endocrine Pancreas Funct*JOEL HABENER; Fiscal Year: 2004..This PPA proposes the initial studies on the way to providing a cure for diabetes via the approaches for regenerative medicine. ..
- Islet Protection from Hypoxia PosttransplantKlearchos K Papas; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition to improving the quality of life and productivity of these patients, this product can help reduce the cost of health care. ..
- Donor CD8+ cell facilitates mixed chimerism in NOD miceDefu Zeng; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- ApoFasL: a Novel Immunotherapeutic for T1DRolf Huseby; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ApoFasL approach, when successful, will ensure a pathway to the treatment of Type 1 diabetes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Novel Method to Isolate Islet CellsJERRY KNOBELOCH; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Improved recombinant collagenase for tissue dissociationRobert McCarthy; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IMPACT OF STANDARDIZATION AND PROCEDURE OPTIMIZATION ON*Ahmed Gaber; Fiscal Year: 2005..This team has worked well together with the aim of curing diabetes through islet transplantation. ..
- Donation After Cardiac Death for Isolated Pancreatic Is*Luis Fernandez; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, the development of rapid, accurate, and predictive tests of islet viability and function post isolation will contribute to significant improvements in post transplant success. ..
- ISLET-KIDNEY TRANSPLANTS FOR TREATMENT OF DIABETIC ESRDDavid Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2006..We anticipate that the use of pre-vascularized islets as part of a composite islet-kidney transplant may provide a new and effective treatment modality for patients with class I diabetes and end-stage renal disease. ..
- B Cell immunomodulation in islet transplantationAli Naji; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our overall contention is that interruption of T- and B- lymphocyte function during the induction phase represents a novel and potentially powerful means of promoting immunological tolerance to islet allografts. ..
- A new approach to xenotransplantation in primateJuan Contreras; Fiscal Year: 2005..The research proposed in this grant will provide significant information to the xenotransplant research and the potential use of porcine islets as an alternative to human tissue for pancreatic islet transplantation. ..
- Anti-inflammatory Serpin(AAT and Elafin) Gene Transfers*Sihong Song; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Gene transfer with A20 to improve islet transplantationChristiane Ferran; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will overcome the requirement for high numbers of islets and the need for intensive immunosuppression. Beneficial results would pave the way for pre-clinical (primates) and clinical applications. ..
- Commercial Feasibility Assessment of Pancreatic Islet Progenitor Cell TechnologyKelvin Brockbank; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel SOD-mimetics for type 1 diabetesELWOOD REYNOLDS; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Tissue Dissociation Enzymes for Islets & Other CellsRobert McCarthy; Fiscal Year: 2005..This knowledge offers the potential to use fewer, more effective enzymes in TDE mixtures, leading to increases in the yield and quality of cells recovered from any mammalian organ. ..