Genomes and Genes
Summary: Endoscopic examination, therapy or surgery of the esophagus.
Publications284 found, 100 shown here
- Endoscopic therapy for esophageal perforation or anastomotic leak with a self-expandable metallic stentJessica M Leers
Department of General, Visceral and Cancer Surgery, University of Cologne, Kerpener Strasse 62, 50937, Koln, Germany
Surg Endosc 23:2258-62. 2009..Therapeutic options are surgical repair or resection or conservative management with cessation of oral intake and antibiotic therapy. We evaluated an alternative approach that uses self-expandable metallic stents (SEMS)...
- Narrow-band imaging provides reliable screening for esophageal malignancy in patients with head and neck cancersRyuta Takenaka
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
Am J Gastroenterol 104:2942-8. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess the reliability of the NBI system for esophageal cancer screening in patients with head and neck cancers...
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of early esophageal cancerTsuneo Oyama
Department of Gastroenterology, Saku General Hospital, Nagano, Japan
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:S67-70. 2005..Endoscopic submucosal dissection with the hook knife is a method of endoluminal surgery enabling large en bloc resections without increased surgical risks...
- Significance of each narrow-band imaging finding in diagnosing squamous mucosal high-grade neoplasia of the esophagusRyu Ishihara
Department of Gastrointestinal Oncology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Higashinari ku, Osaka, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:1410-5. 2010..The primary endpoint of the present study was to identify the significant NBI findings to diagnose esophageal mucosal high-grade neoplasia...
- General rules for recording endoscopic findings of esophagogastric varices (2nd edition)Takashi Tajiri
The Japan Society for Portal Hypertension, Tokyo, Japan
Dig Endosc 22:1-9. 2010..The revised rules are simpler and more straightforward than the former rules and include newly recognized findings of portal hypertensive gastropathy and a new classification for endoscopic ultrasonographic findings...
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of esophageal squamous cell neoplasmsMitsuhiro Fujishiro
Department of Gastroenterology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:688-94. 2006..Application of the technique is desirable for esophageal squamous cell neoplasms (SCNs), but there have been no reports on the use of this procedure in the esophagus...
- Narrow-band imaging system with magnifying endoscopy for superficial esophageal lesionsTatsuya Yoshida
Digestive Disease Center, Showa University Northern Yokohama Hospital, Yokohama, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 59:288-95. 2004..A newly developed narrow-band imaging system was applied to magnifying endoscopy in a clinical setting; the benefit of the narrow-band imaging system was evaluated...
- Long-term outcome after endoscopic mucosal resection in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma invading the muscularis mucosae or deeperYuichi Shimizu
Division of Endoscopy, Third Department of Internal Medicine, Hokkaido University Medical Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 56:387-90. 2002..This study prospectively evaluated long-term outcome in such patients...
- Narrow band imaging for characterization of high grade dysplasia and specialized intestinal metaplasia in Barrett's esophagus: a meta-analysisJ Mannath
Nottingham Digestive Diseases Centre, NIHR Biomedical Research Unit, Queens Medical Centre Campus, University of Nottingham, UK
Endoscopy 42:351-9. 2010..We aimed to assess the diagnostic accuracy of NBI with magnification for the diagnosis of high grade dysplasia (HGD) and specialized intestinal metaplasia (SIM) in patients with Barrett's esophagus...
- New British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) guidelines for the diagnosis and management of Barrett's oesophagusR J Playford
Department of Gastroenterology, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, DuCane Rd, London W12 0NN, UK
Gut 55:442. 2006
- Histological precursors of oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma: results from a 13 year prospective follow up study in a high risk populationG Q Wang
Cancer Prevention Studies Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, 6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 705, Bethesda, MD 20892 8314, USA
Gut 54:187-92. 2005..Successful early detection strategies will require identification of clinically relevant precursor lesions that can be targets for screening and treatment...
- Role of E-cadherin in the pathogenesis of gastroesophageal reflux diseaseBiljana Jovov
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 106:1039-47. 2011..E-cadherin is a junctional protein important in barrier function in EE. Therefore, defects in barrier function in EE were sought in GERD as well as whether their presence correlated with abnormalities in e-cadherin...
- Recent advancement of observing living cells in the esophagus using CM double staining: endocytoscopic atypia classificationH Minami
Digestive Disease Center, Showa University Northern Yokohama Hospital, Chigasaki Chuo, Tsuzuki, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Dis Esophagus 25:235-41. 2012..The development of ECS has opened the door to in vivo cellular imaging, enabling endoscopic diagnosis of tissue cytological atypia during routine endoscopic examination...
- Treatment of oesophageal ulcerations using endoscopic transplantation of tissue-engineered autologous oral mucosal epithelial cell sheets in a canine modelT Ohki
Institute of Advanced Biomedical Engineering and Science, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8666, Japan
Gut 55:1704-10. 2006..However, after aggressive ESD, a major complication that arises is postoperative inflammation and stenosis that can considerably affect the patient's quality of life...
- Carbon dioxide laser endoscopic diverticulotomy for Zenker's diverticulum: results and complications in a consecutive series of 40 patientsVictor Helmstaedter
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 71:40-4. 2009..Numerous studies regarding CO2 laser endoscopic diverticulotomy for the treatment of Zenker's diverticulum exist. They show differences in complications, hospitalization time and postoperative treatment...
- Occult dysplasia is disclosed by Lugol chromoendoscopy in alcoholics at high risk for squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagusR B Fagundes
Dept of Gastroenterology, Hospital da Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Brazil
Endoscopy 31:281-5. 1999..b>Esophagoscopy of asymptomatic individuals exposed to known risk factors associated with the development of this cancer may ..
- Narrow-band imaging with magnifying endoscopy for the screening of esophageal cancer in patients with primary head and neck cancersC T Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, E Da Hospital I Shou University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Endoscopy 42:613-9. 2010..This study evaluated the feasibility of primary screening with NBI and magnification for the presence of esophageal malignancies in these cancer patients...
- Carbon dioxide laser endoscopic diverticulotomy versus open diverticulectomy for Zenker's diverticulumC W David Chang
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Laryngoscope 114:519-27. 2004..To compare open and CO2 laser-assisted endoscopic surgical management of Zenker's diverticulum...
- Histologic results of EMR for esophageal lesions diagnosed as high-grade intraepithelial squamous neoplasia by endoscopic biopsyYuichi Shimizu
Division of Endoscopy, Hokkaido University Hospital, Kitaku, Sapporo, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 63:16-21. 2006..The purpose of this study was to perform EMR for such lesions and to determine the actual tumor stage in patients with complete resection and the outcomes after EMR...
- Circumferential intramural esophageal dissection successfully treated by endoscopic procedure and metal stent insertionSeong Hun Kim
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chonbuk National University Medical School, 634 18, Jeonju, Chonbuk 561 712, Korea
J Gastroenterol 40:1065-9. 2005....
- Endoscopic carbon dioxide laser diverticulostomy versus endoscopic staple-assisted diverticulostomy to treat Zenker's diverticulumVeronique J O Verhaegen
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Head Neck 33:154-9. 2011..The 2 most frequently used endoscopic methods to treat Zenker's diverticulum are staple-assisted and CO(2) laser esophagodiverticulostomy...
- Endoscopic screening for esophageal squamous-cell carcinoma in high-risk patients: a prospective study conducted in 62 French endoscopy centersJ Dubuc
Hepatogastroenterology Department, Haut Leveque Hospital, Bordeaux University Hospital, Pessac, France
Endoscopy 38:690-5. 2006..squamous-cell carcinoma in high-risk patients and the advantages of systematic Lugol staining during esophagoscopy have not yet been evaluated in a large prospective study...
- Is routine triple endoscopy for head and neck carcinoma patients necessary in light of a negative chest computed tomography scan?Emmanuel Guardiola
Department of Oncology, CHU J Minjoz, Besancon, Cedex, France
Cancer 101:2028-33. 2004..The objective of the current study was to analyze the results obtained by triple endoscopy during the initial evaluation of a primary carcinoma of the head and neck...
- Endoscopic treatment of Zenker's diverticulum by carbon dioxide laserG Peretti
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Brescia, Piazza Spedali Civili 1, Brescia, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 30:1-4. 2010..Based on the present series, endoscopic CO(2) laser cricopharyngeal myectomy for Zenker's diverticulum can be considered an effective and safe procedure, with reduced hospitalization time and complication rate...
- Narrow-band imaging without magnification for detecting early esophageal squamous cell carcinomaEdson Ide
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Unit, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
World J Gastroenterol 17:4408-13. 2011..To compare narrow-band imaging (NBI) without image magnification, and chromoendoscopy with Lugol's solution for detecting high-grade dysplasia and intramucosal esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) in patients with head and neck cancer...
- [Per-oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) for 43 consecutive cases of esophageal achalasia]Haruhiro Inoue
Digestive Disease Center, Showa University Northern Yokohama Hospital
Nihon Rinsho 68:1749-52. 2010..To establish less invasive permanent treatment for esophageal achalasia, per-oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) was addressed...
- Alcoholics show reduced telomere length in the oesophagusJunko Aida
Research Team for Geriatric Pathology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology, Tokyo, Japan
J Pathol 223:410-6. 2011..Further studies to clarify the reason for the large annual loss of telomere length with rapid turnover or lower telomerase activity in the oesophageal epithelium of alcoholics will be necessary...
- [Endoscopic diagnosis of tissue atypism (EA) in the pharyngeal and esophageal squamous epithelium; IPCL pattern classification and ECA classification]Haruhiro Inoue
Digestive Disease Center, Showa University Northern Yokohama Hospital, Yokohama, Japan
Kyobu Geka 60:768-75. 2007..Endocytoscopic images are classified into 5 categories from normal epithelium to malignant tissue as endocytoscopic atypism classification (ECA classification). ECA IV and V are considered to be treated in clinical setting...
- Optical coherence tomography to identify intramucosal carcinoma and high-grade dysplasia in Barrett's esophagusJohn A Evans
Gastrointestinal Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:38-43. 2006..The purpose of this study was to establish OCT image characteristics of IMC and HGD in Barrett's esophagus...
- Lugol chromo-endoscopy versus narrow band imaging for endoscopic screening of esophageal squamous-cell carcinoma in patients with a history of cured esophageal cancer: a feasibility studyS Lecleire
Gastroenterology Department, Digestive Endoscopy Unit, Rouen University Hospital, France
Dis Esophagus 24:418-22. 2011..This result suggests that NBI could be used instead of Lugol to detect an esophageal neoplasia in patients with high risk of ESCC, but needs to be confirmed in a larger study...
- Prospective evaluation of narrow-band imaging endoscopy for screening of esophageal squamous mucosal high-grade neoplasia in experienced and less experienced endoscopistsRyu Ishihara
Department of Gastrointestinal Oncology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Osaka, Japan
Dis Esophagus 23:480-6. 2010..Electronic chromoendoscopy with NBI is a promising screening tool in these high-risk patients with esophageal mucosal high-grade neoplasia, particularly when performed by endoscopists with experience of using NBI...
- Treatment of esophageal perforations and anastomotic leaks: the endoscopist is stepping into the arenaPeter D Siersema
Gastrointest Endosc 61:897-900. 2005
- Treatment of thoracic esophageal anastomotic leaks and esophageal perforations with endoluminal stents: efficacy and current limitationsDirk Tuebergen
Department of General Surgery, Unit of Surgical Endoscopy, University of Muenster, Muenster, Germany
J Gastrointest Surg 12:1168-76. 2008..The objective of this non-randomized observational study was to evaluate the effects of endoluminal stent treatment in patients with esophageal anastomotic leakages or perforations in a single tertiary care center...
- Clinical outcome after endoscopic mucosal resection for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma invading the muscularis mucosae--a multicenter retrospective cohort studyC Katada
Division of Digestive Endoscopy and Gastrointestinal Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Japan
Endoscopy 39:779-83. 2007..We conducted a multicenter retrospective cohort study to investigate the incidence of lymph node metastasis and survival after EMR for ESCC invading the muscularis mucosa...
- Clinicopathological factors associated with clinical outcomes of endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal epithelial neoplasmsH Isomoto
Department of Endoscopy, Nagasaki University Hospital, Sakamoto, Nagasaki, Japan
Endoscopy 41:679-83. 2009..We sought to unravel the clinicopathological factors associated with the clinical outcomes of ESD for colorectal epithelial neoplasms in a large series...
- Use of self-expandable metal stents for the treatment of esophageal perforations and anastomotic leaksP Salminen
Department of Surgery, Turku University Central Hospital, Turku, Finland
Surg Endosc 23:1526-30. 2009..This study aimed to evaluate the role of covered SEMS for the management of esophageal perforations and anastomotic leaks...
- Endoscopic clips for closing esophageal perforations: case report and pooled analysisMohammed A Qadeer
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 66:605-11. 2007..Acute and chronic esophageal perforations have traditionally been treated with surgery or a conservative approach. Recently, endoscopic repair has been reported in some case reports...
- Predictors of postoperative stricture after esophageal endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial squamous cell neoplasmsS Ono
Department of Gastroenterology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Bunkyo, Tokyo, Japan
Endoscopy 41:661-5. 2009..Although endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) is becoming accepted as an established treatment for superficial esophageal squamous cell neoplasms, the risks for developing postoperative stricture have not been elucidated...
- Accuracy of endoscopic optical coherence tomography in the detection of dysplasia in Barrett's esophagus: a prospective, double-blinded studyGerard Isenberg
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106 5066, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 62:825-31. 2005..This study evaluated the accuracy of EOCT for the diagnosis and the exclusion of dysplasia in patients with Barrett's esophagus...
- Comprehensive esophageal microscopy by using optical frequency-domain imaging (with video)Benjamin J Vakoc
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 65:898-905. 2007..However, the relatively slow image-acquisition rate of the present OCT systems inhibits wide-field imaging and limits the clinical utility of OCT for diagnostic imaging in patients with Barrett's esophagus...
- Multilayered epithelium in mucosal biopsy specimens from the gastroesophageal junction region is a histologic marker of gastroesophageal reflux diseaseJonathan N Glickman
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 33:818-25. 2009....
- Interobserver reliability in the endoscopic diagnosis and grading of Barrett's esophagus: an Asian multinational studyY C Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Endoscopy 42:699-704. 2010..The establishment of precise and valid diagnostic criteria is important for any disease. We determined the interobserver reliability in the endoscopic diagnosis and grading of Barrett's esophagus...
- Esophageal stent placement for the treatment of spontaneous esophageal perforationsRichard K Freeman
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, St Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 88:194-8. 2009..Traditional therapy for spontaneous esophageal perforation has most often been urgent operative repair. This investigation summarizes the treatment of spontaneous perforations of the esophagus using an occlusive removable esophageal stent...
- Esophageal stent placement for the treatment of iatrogenic intrathoracic esophageal perforationRichard K Freeman
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, St Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 83:2003-7; discussion 2007-8. 2007..This investigation summarizes our experiences treating iatrogenic intrathoracic perforations of the esophagus using an occlusive removable esophageal stent...
- Circumferential EMR and complete removal of Barrett's epithelium: a new approach to management of Barrett's esophagus containing high-grade intraepithelial neoplasia and intramucosal carcinomaStefan Seewald
Department of Interdisciplinary Endoscopy, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 57:854-9. 2003..This study investigated the effectiveness and safety of circumferential EMR by using a simple snare technique without cap...
- Prevalence and predictors of columnar lined esophagus in gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) patients undergoing upper endoscopyGokulakrishnan Balasubramanian
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Kansas City, Missouri 64128 2295, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 107:1655-61. 2012..The objective of this study was to prospectively evaluate the prevalence and risk factors of CLE in a large cohort of GERD patients undergoing upper endoscopy...
- Treatment of intrathoracic esophageal anastomotic leaks by means of endoscopic stent implantationMichael Schweigert
Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, Klinikum Nuernberg Nord, Nuernberg, Germany
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 12:147-51. 2011..It is an easily available minimally-invasive procedure which may reduce leak-related mortality and morbidity...
- Aortoesophageal fistula following Polyflex stent placement for refractory benign esophageal strictureJ Rogart
Department of Medicine, Section of Digestive Diseases, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Endoscopy 39:E321-2. 2007
- Transoral treatment of Zenker diverticulum: flexible endoscopy versus endoscopic stapling. A retrospective comparison of outcomesA Repici
Gastroenterology Unit, IRCCS Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano, Italy
Dis Esophagus 24:235-9. 2011..Long-term results have to be evaluated...
- The endoscopic management of Zenker diverticulum: CO2 laser versus endoscopic staplingFrank R Miller
Department of Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Laryngoscope 116:1608-11. 2006..This study compares the two techniques in terms of diverticulum size, onset to oral intake, hospital stay, resolution of symptoms (dysphagia and regurgitation), and complications...
- Endoscopic repair of Zenker's diverticulum by harmonic scalpelJames T May
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 32:553-6. 2011..We describe an endoscopic approach for treating ZD using the harmonic scalpel, which can be used in certain cases where diverticulum anatomy precludes ESED...
- Esophageal laceration with intramural dissection mimics esophageal perforationHui Chung Wu
Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:864-5. 2008..b>Esophagoscopy revealed a deep longitudinal laceration with pus discharge in the esophagus...
- Interobserver agreement in endoscopic evaluation of reflux esophagitis using a modified Los Angeles classification incorporating grades N and M: a validation study in a cohort of Japanese endoscopistsH Miwa
Department of Internal Medicine, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Japan
Dis Esophagus 21:355-63. 2008..Further research is required to elucidate the pathophysiological basis of minimal change esophagitis...
- Flexible endoscopic clip-assisted Zenker's diverticulotomy: the first case series (with videos)Shou Jiang Tang
Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9151, USA
Laryngoscope 118:1199-205. 2008..We recently introduced flexible endoscopic clip-assisted diverticulotomy (ECD) in treating ZD by securing the septum prior to dissection...
- Endostitch-assisted endoscopic Zenker's diverticulostomy: a tried approach for difficult casesB D Nicholas
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Dis Esophagus 23:296-9. 2010....
- Harmonic scalpel in the treatment of Zenker's diverticulumAnthony F Fama
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Laryngoscope 119:1265-9. 2009..To describe the transoral treatment of Zenker's diverticulum with a harmonic scalpel and review the initial outcomes of patients treated with this technique...
- Three-dimensional MDCT imaging and CT esophagography for evaluation of esophageal tumors: preliminary studySe Hyung Kim
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28, Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul, 110 744, South Korea
Eur Radiol 16:2418-26. 2006....
- Significance of endoscopic screening and endoscopic resection for esophageal cancer in patients with hypopharyngeal cancerMasahiro Morimoto
Department of Radiation Oncology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Osaka 537 8511, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 40:938-43. 2010..We studied the use of endoscopic screening to detect esophageal cancer in hypopharyngeal cancer patients by analyzing the incidence, stage and prognosis...
- Endoscopic stapling of pharyngeal pouchP Sen
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Whipps Cross University Hospital, London, UK
J Laryngol Otol 118:601-6. 2004..There were no randomized controlled trials comparing this approach to any other endoscopic or open surgical techniques for pharyngeal pouch...
- Evaluation of endoscopic harmonic diverticulostomyChad Whited
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Hospital, Durham, North Carolina 27707, USA
Laryngoscope 122:1297-300. 2012....
- Feasibility, safety, acceptability, and yield of office-based, screening transnasal esophagoscopy (with video)Anne F Peery
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 75:945-953.e2. 2012..Unsedated transnasal esophagoscopy may provide an efficient and accurate endoscopic assessment with fewer risks and less cost, compared with ..
- Flexible endoscopic and surgical management of Zenker's diverticulumIvana Dzeletovic
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:449-65; quiz 466. 2012..Some centers use flexible endoscopy as the initial treatment option. Due to a lack of prospective studies, the treatment choice should be tailored to the individual patient and local expertise...
- Pre-clinical evaluation of fluorescent deoxyglucose as a topical contrast agent for the detection of Barrett's-associated neoplasia during confocal imagingN Thekkek
Department of Bioengineering, Rice University, 6100 Main St, MS 142, Houston, TX 77005, USA
Technol Cancer Res Treat 10:431-41. 2011..Further in vivo testing is needed to determine its performance in identifying neoplasia during confocal endomicroscopic imaging...
- [Zenker's diverticulum: diverticulopexy versus diverticulectomy]J Leporrier
, , 14033 Caen, France
Ann Chir 126:42-5. 2001..Diverticulectomy is proposed in the case of a diverticulum larger than 6 cm and for young patients to prevent the risk of malignant transformation...
- Risk of stent-related aortic erosion after endoscopic stent insertion for intrathoracic anastomotic leaks after esophagectomyMichael Schweigert
Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, Klinikum Nurnberg Nord, Nurnberg, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 92:513-8. 2011..The aim of this retrospective study was to investigate if endoscopic stent implantation increases the incidence of postoperative aortoesophageal fistula by reason of stent-related erosion of the thoracic aorta...
- Endoscopic and radiological features of intramural esophageal dissectionC C Hsu
Dept of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical Center, Taiwan
Endoscopy 33:379-81. 2001..The clinical course was uneventful; the patient was discharged later and up to the time of writing has been completely asymptomatic, with normal swallowing function...
- Endoscopic staple diverticulostomy for Zenker's diverticulum: review of literature and experience in 159 consecutive casesChristopher Y Chang
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Laryngoscope 113:957-65. 2003..We present follow-up on our experience with ESD since 1995 and compare it with the results obtained by other endoscopic or external techniques for treatment of Zenker's diverticulum...
- Palisade vessels as a new histologic marker of esophageal origin in ER specimens from columnar-lined esophagusJunko Aida
Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Surg Pathol 35:1140-5. 2011..At least 1 of these 4 markers was seen in 88% of the sections. Therefore, ER specimens were confirmed to originate from CLE in 88% of single histologic sections of CLE on the basis of histologic examination alone...
- Candida esophagitis complicated by an esophago-airway fistula: report of a caseRyu Kanzaki
Department of Surgery, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Osaka 537 8511, Japan
Surg Today 39:972-8. 2009..Although the lung abscess resolved, the inflammation of the esophagus persisted. A fistula between the esophagus and the left main bronchus eventually formed postoperatively and the patient died due to respiratory failure...
- Predisposing factors and clinical symptoms in HIV-negative patients with Candida oesophagitis: are they always present?K Mimidis
Department of Internal Medicine, Endoscopy Unit, Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece
Int J Clin Pract 59:210-3. 2005..05). Thus, CO can be discovered in patients without apparent predisposing risk factors and clinical symptoms. Further studies are needed to elucidate the mechanisms of transition from colonisation to infection...
- Risk factors for esophageal candidiasisA Chocarro Martinez
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Virgen de la Concha, Zamora, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 19:96-100. 2000..The findings support the hypothesis that treatment with omeprazole favors the development of esophageal candidiasis...
- Value of lateral neck radiography for ingested foreign bodies using the likelihood ratioIuan Sheng Wu
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Changhua Christian Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 37:292-6. 2008..To determine the diagnostic accuracy of lateral neck radiography and its value in related radiographic findings in the detection of foreign bodies using the likelihood ratio...
- Endoscopic treatment of thoracic esophageal anastomotic leaks by using silicone-covered, self-expanding polyester stentsDaniel Schubert
Department of General, Visceral and Vascular Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 61:891-6. 2005..The successful treatment of esophageal anastomotic insufficiencies and perforations when using covered, self-expanding metallic stents is described...
- What parameters are relevant for the histological diagnosis of gastroesophageal reflux disease without Barrett's mucosa?M Vieth
Institute of Pathology, Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
Dig Dis 22:196-201. 2004..The aim of the present analysis was to relate histological changes of the esophageal squamous epithelium to different severities of GERD...
- Minimally invasive measurement of esophageal variceal pressure and wall tension (with video)Anil K Vegesna
Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 70:407-13. 2009..There is no simple method to measure intravariceal pressure in patients with esophageal varices...
- Narrow-band imaging in the diagnosis of early esophageal cancer and precancerous lesionsLiu Ye Huang
Department of Gastroenterology, Yantai Yuhuangding Hospital Affiliated to Medical College of Qingdao University, Yantai, Shandong 264000, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 122:776-80. 2009..Narrow-band imaging (NBI) can enhance the contrast of the mucous membrane of the esophagus without staining. This study aimed to explore the value of NBI in the diagnosis of early esophageal cancer and precancerous lesions...
- Treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease: endoscopic aspectsJulius Spicak
Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Prague, Czech Republic
Dig Dis 25:183-7. 2007..According to current practice, use of endoscopic methods is justifiable only as part of clinical trials. Many aspects, including commercial ones, will influence future developments in this area, which are difficult to predict...
- Lugol-voiding lesions are an important risk factor for a second primary squamous cell carcinoma in patients with esosphageal cancer or head and neck cancerKeisuke Hori
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
Am J Gastroenterol 106:858-66. 2011..We undertook a cross-sectional and retrospective cohort study to assess the risk for second primary carcinomas according to the severity of LVLs, on the basis of their number and size...
- Oesophagitis is common in patients with achalasia after pneumatic dilatationI Leeuwenburgh
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:1197-203. 2006..Treatment aims at lowering of the lower oesophageal sphincter pressure, enhancing the risk of gastro-oesophageal reflux. Nevertheless, the incidence of oesophagitis after achalasia treatment is unknown...
- Clinical trials evaluating endoscopic GERD treatments: is it time for a moratorium on the clinical use of these procedures?Walter J Hogan
Am J Gastroenterol 101:437-9. 2006..The efficacy durability and safety of these devices in treating GERD patients is in question. A moratorium on the continued use of the procedures in clinical practice seems appropriate at this time...
- The role of transnasal esophagoscopy in head and neck oncologyGregory N Postma
Center for Voice Disorders of Wake Forest University, Department of Otolaryngology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1034, USA
Laryngoscope 112:2242-3. 2002To review the current role of transnasal esophagoscopy (TNE) in all aspects of head and neck cancer patient treatment.
- A randomized prospective trial comparing unsedated esophagoscopy via transnasal and transoral routes using a 4-mm video endoscope with conventional endoscopy with sedationP N Thota
Center for Endoscopy and Pancreaticobiliary Disease, Department of Gastroenterology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Endoscopy 37:559-65. 2005..A prototype 4-mm-diameter video esophagoscope is available. Our aims were to compare unsedated esophagoscopy using this 4-mm esophagoscope with conventional sedated endoscopy with regard to diagnostic accuracy and ..
- Photodynamic therapy for large superficial squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagusToshiaki Tanaka
Department of Surgery, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume, Fukuoka, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 73:1-6. 2011..Photodynamic therapy (PDT) has been found to be safe and effective in patients with small early esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). However, its efficacy for widespread superficial SCC has not yet been confirmed...
- Esophageal foreign bodies in the pediatric population: our first 500 casesDanny C Little
Department of Surgery, Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
J Pediatr Surg 41:914-8. 2006..Historically, rigid esophagoscopy with extraction of the foreign body has been the recommended treatment...
- Stent-in-stent technique for removal of embedded esophageal self-expanding metal stentsM M C Hirdes
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Gastroenterol 106:286-93. 2011..Our aim is to report the results of removal of embedded, partially covered SEMSs by induction of pressure necrosis using the stent-in-stent technique...
- Effect of the GABA(B) agonist baclofen in patients with symptoms and duodeno-gastro-oesophageal reflux refractory to proton pump inhibitorsG H Koek
Center for Gastroenterological Research, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Gut 52:1397-402. 2003....
- Postoperative esophageal leak management with the Polyflex esophageal stentRichard K Freeman
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, St Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis, Ind, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:333-8. 2007..This investigation reviews our experience treating postoperative esophageal leaks with the Polyflex esophageal stent (Boston Scientific, Natick, Mass)...
- Balloon-based, circumferential, endoscopic radiofrequency ablation of Barrett's esophagus: 1-year follow-up of 100 patientsVirender K Sharma
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic Scottsdale Phoenix, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 65:185-95. 2007..To assess the dose-response, safety, and efficacy of circumferential endoscopic ablation of Barrett's esophagus (BE) by using an endoscopic balloon-based ablation device (HALO360 System)...
- Endoscopic vacuum sponge therapy for esophageal defectsGunnar Loske
Department for General, Abdominal, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Katholisches Marienkrankenhaus Hamburg gGmbH, Alfredstrasse 9, 22087, Hamburg, Germany
Surg Endosc 24:2531-5. 2010..For anastomotic insufficiency in the rectum, endoscopic vacuum therapy has already been used successfully. The authors used vacuum therapy for anastomotic defects and other lesions of the esophagus...
- Aetiology, treatment and mortality after oesophageal perforation in DenmarkPhilip Ryom
Thoracic Surgery Department, Rigshospitalet, Blegdamsvej 9, Copenhagen, Denmark
Dan Med Bull 58:A4267. 2011..The causes are numerous. Treatment for oesophageal perforation targets mediastinal and pleural contamination. Present knowledge about the causes of perforation and the types of treatment is poor...
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy-associated gastrointestinal perforations: a single-center experienceAmit Merchea
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Surgery 148:876-80; discussion 881-2. 2010..Our aim was to define the risk of perforation associated with EGD and identify patients who required operative intervention...
- Repair of esophageal perforation due to anterior cervical spine instrumentationRyan L Kau
Division of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Laryngoscope 120:739-42. 2010..Postoperatively, both patients had no evidence of persistent perforation and had resolution of preoperative symptoms...
- Management of esophageal perforations: the value of aggressive surgical treatmentJ David Richardson
Department of Surgery, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Am J Surg 190:161-5. 2005..The treatment of esophageal perforation remains controversial, particularly in terms of the type of operative therapy. This report analyzed results of an aggressive treatment protocol...
- Current management of esophageal perforation: 20 years experienceA Eroglu
Ataturk University, Medical Faculty, Department of Thoracic Surgery, Erzurum, Turkey
Dis Esophagus 22:374-80. 2009..We suggest that minimally invasive techniques for the repair of esophageal perforations will be very important in the future treatment of this condition...
- Herpes simplex virus esophagitis in immunocompetent childrenFernanda Rodrigues
Hospital Pediátrico de Coimbra, Portugal
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 39:560-3. 2004..To review clinical, laboratory, endoscopic and histologic features, treatment and outcome of immunocompetent children with Herpes simplex virus esophagitis...
- Patient tolerance and acceptance of unsedated ultrathin esophagoscopyAshley L Faulx
Division of Gastroenterology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 55:620-3. 2002..Unsedated endoscopy has not gained wide acceptance in the United States. Factors that may predict tolerance and acceptance of unsedated endoscopy are ill defined...
- Flexible esophagoscopy as a diagnostic tool for traumatic esophageal injuriesVitor Arantes
Endoscopy Unit, Emergency Hospital João XXIII, FHEMIG, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
J Trauma 66:1677-82. 2009..This study aimed to assess the yield and clinical utility of flexible esophagoscopy (FE) in the diagnosis of traumatic esophageal injuries.
- Updated guidelines for the diagnosis, surveillance, and therapy of Barrett's esophagusRichard E Sampliner
Southern Arizona VA Health Care System, Tucson 85723, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:1888-95. 2002
- Esophageal perforation: surgical, endoscopic and medical management strategiesBoris Sepesi
Division of Thoracic and Foregut Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 26:379-83. 2010..The relative rarity and unpredictability of esophageal perforation has precluded a randomized or multiinstitutional study of this condition. Practice standards are based primarily on retrospective reviews and expert opinions...
- Successful treatment of severe refractory anastomotic stricture in an infant after esophageal atresia repair by endoscopic balloon dilation combined with systemic administration of dexamethasoneTomoro Hishiki
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Chiba University Hospital, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba, 260 8677, Japan
Pediatr Surg Int 25:531-3. 2009..Balloon dilation in combination with systemic dexamethasone administration may be an effective treatment that could substitute invasive techniques including surgical manipulation for severe refractory strictures...
- Stent implantation as a treatment option in patients with thoracic anastomotic leaks after esophagectomyWerner K H Kauer
Department of Surgery SALK, Paracelsus Medizinische Privatuniversität Salzburg, Mullner Hauptstr 48, A 5020, Salzburg, Austria
Surg Endosc 22:50-3. 2008..In patients with esophagectomy and gastric pull up for esophageal carcinoma anastomotic leaks are a well-known complication and a major cause of morbidity and mortality...
- Transnasal Esophagoscopy vs. Esophageal Capsule Endoscopy for Barrett's ScreeningAmitabh Chak; Fiscal Year: 2010..Clearly we need more effective methods for BE screening. Esophageal capsule endoscopy and transnasal esophagoscopy are two novel unsedated endoscopic methods for esophageal examination...
- Low-cost tethered capsule endoscope for screening for Barrett's esophagusJason Dominitz; Fiscal Year: 2009..If the TCE is found to be feasible for unsedated esophagoscopy, then funding for a large scale validation study would be sought to determine the accuracy of TCE compared to ..
- The Perception of Cancer Risk in Patients with Barrett's EsophagusNicholas Shaheen; Fiscal Year: 2007..The resultant study application will assess health-related quality of life, health-related anxiety and healthcare utilization as outcomes. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Epidemiologic Case-control Study of Barrett's EsophagusNicholas Shaheen; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, by comparing subjects with Barrett's to controls with reflux, and controlling for severs of reflux, the impact of a Barrett's diagnosis on quality of life and psychological stress may be seen. ..
- Gene Expression in Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2006..We present preliminary data on microarray and RT-PCRanalyses on 5 patients with BE that suggest an overactive Wnt pathway: we have also assembled the essential components of a successful study using microarrays. ..
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..
- Novel Method of Surveillance in Barrett's EsophagusKenneth Wang; Fiscal Year: 2008..This is an innovative method by which a physician can diagnose hidden areas of cancer within patients who are at a high risk of developing esophageal cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Endoscopic Therapy of Early Cancer in Barretts EsophagusKenneth Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..Diagnostic and therapeutic techniques developed in this study can be applied to other gastrointestinal tumors. ..
- A NOVEL TECHNIQUE FOR SCREENING BARRETT'S ESOSPHAGUSKenneth Wang; Fiscal Year: 2003..The development of a screening device for Barrett's esophagus that could be operated by paramedical personnel would enable large-scale low cost screening to identify patients at risk for esophageal cancer. ..
- Biomarkers in Phototherapy of Barrett's EsophagusKenneth K Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will provide an improved understanding regarding the response of Barrett's esophagus to ablation therapy. ..
- Epidemiology and Incidence of Barrett's EsophagusDOUGLAS ALLEN CORLEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed study explores how hormones associated with body fat may change the way the body heals after an injury, and increase the risk of cells developing precancerous changes. ..
- Anatomic and Mechanical Variables of the EGJ in GERDJohn Pandolfino; Fiscal Year: 2006..These changes will improve diagnostic accuracy of pH monitoring and also help determine the relationship between anatomical and mechanical variants and acid reflux. ..
- Dectection of occult mediastinal lymph node mestastasesMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the R33 component of the grant application these criteria will be prospectively evaluated and correlated with clinical outcome in a second, larger cohort of patients. ..
- Randomized Trial of EUS Neurolysis in Pancreas CancerMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2006..The primary outcome will be a reduction in pain at 1 month. Secondary outcomes will include the durability of pain control, quality of life, narcotic use and narcotic side effects. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- UGI Hemorrhage and Barrett's EpitheliumDennis Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2008..This award will continue to enhance the applicant's research productivity and provide skilled mentoring for young investigators, so they can become independent patient-oriented investigators in digestive diseases. ..
- Regulation of CD80 Molecule in Oral CancerGIOVANA THOMAS; Fiscal Year: 2008..Such action may, potentially, increase anti-tumor immune responses and, therefore, survival of patients with this disease. ..
- Aberrant Crypt Foci as a Biomarker for ChemopreventionFrank Sinicrope; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Coherence Imaging for Assessing Colorectal NeoplasiaAdam Wax; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- International Conference on Advances in Laryngeal BiophysiologySusan Thibeault; Fiscal Year: 2008..The multifactorial nature of voice disorders necessitates study for a comprehensive understanding of the disease mechanisms for optimal treatment success. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Use of Quantitative RT-PCR for Staging Esophageal CancerJames Luketich; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, we believe that this research will answer some very interesting questions about tumor biology and metastasis in esophageal cancer. ..
- Assessing Deployment of Microbicidal Gels With Label-Free Optical MeasurementAdam Wax; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- In vivo detection of pre-cancerous lesions using a/LCLAdam Wax; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Fine Needle Aspiration of Benign Vocal Fold LesionsSusan Thibeault; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- The Prevalence of Barrett's Esophagus in Patients with *Blair Jobe; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, this study will enhance our understanding of the natural history of esophageal injury in patients with extraesophageal reflux and raise awareness of non-GERD risk factors. ..
- Middle Ear Epithelial Response to Cytokine StimulationJoseph Kerschner; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Reflux Disease in Patients with Throat Signs/SymptomsMichael Vaezi; Fiscal Year: 2005..These methods will be employed pre- and post-therapy on all patients to assess their potential clinical utility, especially in those unresponsive to medical therapy after aggressive acid suppression. ..
- Clinical Significance of Apoptosis in Colon CancerFrank Sinicrope; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Assessing nuclear morphology in thick tissues using fLCIAdam Wax; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Safety & effectiveness of HA hydrogels in immortalized vocal fold fibroblast cellSusan Thibeault; Fiscal Year: 2007..Efforts from this R21 will provide imminent directions for an R01 focusing on human clinical trials for treatment of ECM disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Advancing an Evidence-Based Approach to Barrett's Esophagus: A Health Outcomes ReChin Hur; Fiscal Year: 2007..We plan to published the proceedings of the meeting and anticipate future project collaborations, grant applications as well as new investigators will arise as a result of this conference. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Micro RNA expression in esophageal adenocarcinomaVirginia Litle; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Barrett's Esophagus Ablation with Celocoxib TrialCharles Lightdale; Fiscal Year: 2002..Patients will be accrued during the first study year, and will be followed until the last patient enrolled completes one year of treatment. ..
- Gastrointestinal Eosinophil Research SymposiumGlenn Furuta; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of eosinophils in intestinal epithelial dysfunctionGlenn Furuta; Fiscal Year: 2009..Long-term goals of these studies are the identification of specific diagnostic tests for EOGs and the development of novel eosinophil specific treatments. ..
- EOSINOPHIL PROTEINS AND GASTROINTESTINAL DISEASEGlenn Furuta; Fiscal Year: 2003..EDGP stimulated epithelial cell chloride ion secretion and 3. EDGP stimulated neutrophil infiltration, changes in vascular permeability and fluid secretion in vivo. ..