Genomes and Genes
Summary: The excision of the thickened, atheromatous tunica intima of a carotid artery.
Publications328 found, 100 shown here
- Analysis of pooled data from the randomised controlled trials of endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosisP M Rothwell
Stroke Prevention Research Unit, University Department of Clinical Neurology, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, UK
Lancet 361:107-16. 2003..To accurately assess the overall effect of surgery, and to increase power for secondary analyses, we pooled trial data and reassessed carotid angiograms...
- Accuracy of cerebral monitoring in detecting cerebral ischemia during carotid endarterectomy: a comparison of transcranial Doppler sonography, near-infrared spectroscopy, stump pressure, and somatosensory evoked potentialsStefan Moritz
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Anesthesiology 107:563-9. 2007This study compares the accuracy of cerebral monitoring systems in detecting cerebral ischemia during carotid endarterectomy.
- The role of carotid artery stenting and carotid endarterectomy in cognitive performance: a systematic reviewPaola De Rango
Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, University of Perugia, Ospedale S Maria della Misericordia, Perugia, Italy
Stroke 39:3116-27. 2008..It is still under debate whether carotid artery stenting and carotid endarterectomy have the same influence on neuropsychological functions.
- Medical (nonsurgical) intervention alone is now best for prevention of stroke associated with asymptomatic severe carotid stenosis: results of a systematic review and analysisAnne L Abbott
Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Stroke 40:e573-83. 2009....
- Evaluation of a cerebral oximeter as a monitor of cerebral ischemia during carotid endarterectomyS K Samra
Departments of Anesthesiology and Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Anesthesiology 93:964-70. 2000Stroke is an important contributor to perioperative morbidity and mortality associated with carotid endarterectomy (CEA)...
- Stroke from carotid endarterectomy: when and how to reduce perioperative stroke rate?G J de Borst
Department of Vascular Surgery, St Antonius Hospital, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 21:484-9. 2001..To analyse four years of CEA with respect to the underlying mechanisms of perioperative stroke and the role of intraoperative monitoring in the prevention of stroke...
- Impact of general versus local anesthesia on early postoperative cognitive dysfunction following carotid endarterectomy: GALA Study Subgroup AnalysisChristian Friedrich Weber
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
World J Surg 33:1526-32. 2009..either general (GA) or local (LA) anesthesia on the postoperative neurocognitive outcome in patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy (CEA) in a randomized study. Therefore, we performed a subgroup analysis of the multicenter GALA study.
- Regional or general anesthesia for carotid endarterectomy? Evidence from published prospective and retrospective studiesJoanne Guay
Department of Anesthesia, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 21:127-32. 2007The aim of this study was to compare outcomes of patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy under regional or general anesthesia for any new neurologic impairment, stroke, stroke and/or death, death, and myocardial infarction.
- In vivo accuracy of multispectral magnetic resonance imaging for identifying lipid-rich necrotic cores and intraplaque hemorrhage in advanced human carotid plaquesC Yuan
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Circulation 104:2051-6. 2001..The purpose of this study was to evaluate differential contrast-weighted images, specifically a multispectral MR technique, to improve the accuracy of identifying the lipid-rich necrotic core and acute intraplaque hemorrhage in vivo...
- A systematic comparison of the risks of stroke and death due to carotid endarterectomy for symptomatic and asymptomatic stenosisP M Rothwell
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Stroke 27:266-9. 1996There is some evidence that carotid endarterectomy reduces the risk of ipsilateral carotid territory ischemic stroke in patients with severe asymptomatic carotid stenosis...
- Physiological response to lipid peroxidation in ischemia and reperfusion during carotid endarterectomySebastiano Banni
Università degli Studi di Cagliari Dipartimento di Biologia Sperimentale Cittadella, Universitaria 09042 Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
Lipids Health Dis 9:41. 2010In this study we aimed to assess lipid peroxidation during carotid endarterectomy by the formation of PUFA hydroperoxides (PUFAHP) and isoprostanes (IP) and concomitant peroxisomal beta-oxidation as a physiological mechanism to limit ..
- Carotid endarterectomy under local anesthesia in elderly: is it worthwhile?B Amato
Department of General and Geriatric Surgery, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Acta Biomed 76:64-8. 2005b>Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) has a positive effect on stroke free survival in patients with either symptomatic or asymptomatic severe carotid bifurcation stenosis. However, most trials have excluded elder patients...
- Early carotid endarterectomy after intravenous thrombolysis for acute ischaemic strokeM A Bartoli
Faculte de Medecine de Marseille, Universite de la Mediterranee, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, Hopital de la Timone, Service de Chirurgie Vasculaire, 13005 Marseille, France
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 37:512-8. 2009..b>Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) has been shown to be effective in reducing the risk of stroke...
- Early carotid endarterectomy after ischemic stroke: the results of a prospective multicenter Italian studyE Sbarigia
I Cattedra di Chirurgia Vascolare, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Viale del Policlinico, Rome, Italy
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 32:229-35. 2006To evaluate safety of early carotid endarterectomy (CEA) in patients with acute brain ischemia presenting to the emergency department stroke units (EDSU).
- Intracranial hemorrhage associated with cerebral hyperperfusion syndrome following carotid endarterectomy and carotid artery stenting: retrospective review of 4494 patientsKuniaki Ogasawara
Department of Neurosurgery, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
J Neurosurg 107:1130-6. 2007Intracranial hemorrhage associated with cerebral hyperperfusion syndrome (CHS) following carotid endarterectomy (CEA) or carotid artery stenting (CAS) is a rare but potentially devastating complication...
- The value of the serum neurofilament protein heavy chain as a biomarker for peri-operative brain injury after carotid endarterectomyJohann Sellner
Department of Neurology, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Neurochem Res 34:1969-74. 2009..the value of serum neurofilament protein levels for detecting peri-operative brain damage following carotid endarterectomy. An ELISA was used for quantification of neurofilament protein heavy chain (NfH(SMI35)) levels from ..
- Near infrared spectroscopy monitoring during carotid endarterectomy: which threshold value is critical?T Mille
Operative Unit of Clinical Neurophysiology, Neurosurgery Division, Department of Surgery, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 27:646-50. 2004..Retrospectively to verify which decreasing percentage in regional oxygen saturation (rSO(2)) identified patients with good collateralisation during carotid artery cross clamp...
- Transcranial regional cerebral oxygen saturation monitoring during carotid endarterectomy as a predictor of postoperative hyperperfusionKuniaki Ogasawara
Department of Neurosurgery, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
Neurosurgery 53:309-14; discussion 314-5. 2003Hyperperfusion syndrome is a rare but potentially devastating complication that can occur after carotid endarterectomy (CEA)...
- Histological assessment of 526 symptomatic carotid plaques in relation to the nature and timing of ischemic symptoms: the Oxford plaque studyJ N E Redgrave
Department of Clinical Neurology, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, OX2 6HE, United Kingdom
Circulation 113:2320-8. 2006..Previous histological studies have been too small or insufficiently detailed to reliably determine the temporal course of features of plaque instability or to stratify analyses by the nature of presenting symptoms...
- Effect of carotid endarterectomy or stenting on impairment of dynamic cerebral autoregulationM Reinhard
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology, University of Freiburg, Germany
Stroke 35:1381-7. 2004..This study investigates the effect of carotid endarterectomy or stenting on various DCA parameters.
- Systematic review of randomized controlled trials of patch angioplasty versus primary closure and different types of patch materials during carotid endarterectomyR Bond
Stroke Prevention Unit, University Department of Clinical Neurology, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 40:1126-35. 2004Patch angioplasty during carotid endarterectomy (CEA) may reduce the risk for perioperative or late carotid artery recurrent stenosis and subsequent ischemic stroke...
- Carotid artery stenting is associated with increased complications in octogenarians: 30-day stroke and death rates in the CREST lead-in phaseRobert W Hobson
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Medical School, Newark 07101, USA
J Vasc Surg 40:1106-11. 2004..the National Institute of Neurological Disorders, National Institutes of Health, compares the efficacy of carotid endarterectomy (CEA) and CAS in an ongoing clinical trial...
- Carotid endarterectomy--an evidence-based review: report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of NeurologyS Chaturvedi
Department of Neurology, Wayne State University, USA
Neurology 65:794-801. 2005To assess the efficacy of carotid endarterectomy for stroke prevention in asymptomatic and symptomatic patients with internal carotid artery stenosis...
- Clinical and angiographic risk factors for stroke and death within 30 days after carotid endarterectomy and stent-protected angioplasty: a subanalysis of the SPACE studyRobert Stingele
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Kiel, Germany
Lancet Neurol 7:216-22. 2008b>Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) and carotid artery stenting (CAS) are used to prevent ischaemic stroke in patients with stenosis of the internal carotid artery...
- Carotid plaque mast cells associate with atherogenic serum lipids, high grade carotid stenosis and symptomatic carotid artery disease. Results from the helsinki carotid endarterectomy studyErno M P Lehtonen-Smeds
Wihuri Research Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Cerebrovasc Dis 19:291-301. 2005..We evaluated the distribution densities of MCs, macrophages and T cells in carotid plaques and correlated these findings to stroke risk factors as well as history of stroke or TIA...
- Discrimination of components in atherosclerotic plaques from human carotid endarterectomy specimens by magnetic resonance imaging ex vivoJoel Morrisett
The Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Magn Reson Imaging 21:465-74. 2003..have been used to determine the dimensional and compositional properties of atherosclerotic lesions in carotid endarterectomy tissues...
- Carotid endarterectomy with bovine pericardium patch angioplasty: mid-term resultsMiltiadis I Matsagas
Vascular Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Ann Vasc Surg 20:614-9. 2006The objective of this study was to assess the efficacy of bovine pericardium (BP) as a patch material in carotid endarterectomy (CEA) in terms of peri- and postoperative complications and the incidence of recurrent stenosis...
- New brain lesions after carotid stenting versus carotid endarterectomy: a systematic review of the literatureSonja Schnaudigel
Department of Neurology, University of Gottingen, Robert Koch Str 40, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Stroke 39:1911-9. 2008..background of a relatively low rate of clinical events during carotid angioplasty and stenting (CAS) or carotid endarterectomy (CEA), diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI) is increasingly being used to compare the incidence of new ..
- The Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy versus Stenting Trial (CREST): stenting versus carotid endarterectomy for carotid diseaseVito A Mantese
Mayo Clinic, Griffin 3rd Floor, 4500 San Pablo Road, Jacksonville, FL 32224
Stroke 41:S31-4. 2010Carotid artery stenosis causes up to 10% of all ischemic strokes. Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) was introduced as a treatment to prevent stroke in the early 1950s...
- Endarterectomy versus stenting in patients with symptomatic severe carotid stenosisJean Louis Mas
Hôpitaux Sainte Anne, Universite Rene Descartes, Paris, France
N Engl J Med 355:1660-71. 2006..Carotid stenting is less invasive than endarterectomy, but it is unclear whether it is as safe in patients with symptomatic carotid-artery stenosis...
- Carotid angioplasty and stent-induced bradycardia and hypotension: Impact of prophylactic atropine administration and prior carotid endarterectomyNeal S Cayne
Department of Vascular Surgery, New York University Medical Center, NY 10016, USA
J Vasc Surg 41:956-61. 2005..We also compared the incidence of procedural bradycardia and hypotension for CAS in patients with primary stenosis vs those with prior ipsilateral carotid endarterectomy (CEA).
- 10-year stroke prevention after successful carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic stenosis (ACST-1): a multicentre randomised trialAlison Halliday
Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Lancet 376:1074-84. 2010..artery narrowing remains asymptomatic (ie, has caused no recent stroke or other neurological symptoms), successful carotid endarterectomy (CEA) reduces stroke incidence for some years. We assessed the long-term effects of successful CEA.
- Stump pressure and transcranial Doppler for predicting shunting in carotid endarterectomyP Belardi
Vascular Surgery, Universita degli Studi di Genova, Largo Rosanna Benzi 8, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 25:164-7. 2003to compare stump pressure (SP) and transcranial Doppler (TCD) with neurologic monitoring during carotid endarterectomy (CEA).
- Patient and hospital benefits of local anaesthesia for carotid endarterectomyR J McCarthy
The Royal United Hospital, Bath, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 22:13-8. 2001OBJECTIVES: this study reviews and compares carotid endarterectomy (CEA) performed under local anaesthesia (LA) with CEA performed under general anaesthesia (GA) in a single institution...
- Chlamydia pneumoniae and atherosclerosis following carotid endarterectomyBabak S Jahromi
Department of Neurosurgery, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 30:333-9. 2003..We hypothesized that long-term follow-up of patients with pathologically-proven arterial C. pneumoniae infection might provide further insight into the role of C. pneumoniae in carotid atherosclerosis...
- Meta-analysis of randomized trials comparing carotid endarterectomy and endovascular treatmentT Luebke
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 34:470-9. 2007In order to evaluate the comparative efficacy and safety of carotid angioplasty with or without stent placement (CAS) versus carotid endarterectomy (CEA) we performed a meta-analysis of the presently available randomized studies.
- Elevation of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in patients experiencing neurocognitive decline following carotid endarterectomyW J Mack
Department of Neurological Surgery, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 150:779-84; discussion 784. 2008..pre-operative monocyte count is an independent predictor of acute neurocognitive decline following carotid endarterectomy (CEA)...
- Intracellular expression of cytokines in peripheral blood from patients with atherosclerosis before and after carotid endarterectomyElisabetta Profumo
Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immune Mediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Atherosclerosis 191:340-7. 2007..of intracellular cytokine profiles in peripheral mononuclear cells in whole blood from patients with carotid atherosclerosis in whom follow-up after carotid endarterectomy (CEA) showed the onset or progression of contralateral disease.
- Identification of patients at risk for ischaemic cerebral complications after carotid endarterectomy with TCD monitoringJ Horn
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Antonius Hospital, P O Box 2500, 3430 EM Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 30:270-4. 2005Transcranial Doppler (TCD) monitoring for micro embolic signals (MES), directly after carotid endarterectomy (CEA) may identify patients at risk of developing ischaemic complications...
- Prospective, randomized study of external jugular vein patch versus polytetrafluoroethylene patch during carotid endarterectomy: perioperative and long-term resultsFranco Grego
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani 2, Padua 35125, Italy
J Vasc Surg 38:1232-40. 2003..of using external jugular vein (EJV) patch, compared with polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) patch, during carotid endarterectomy. The primary end point was the relevant neurologic complication rate (RNCR; fatal or disabling stroke) at ..
- Statin treatment is not associated with consistent alterations in inflammatory status of carotid atherosclerotic plaques: a retrospective study in 378 patients undergoing carotid endarterectomyBart A N Verhoeven
Department of Vascular Surgery, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Stroke 37:2054-60. 2006..We examined the phenotype of carotid atherosclerotic plaques harvested during carotid endarterectomy in relation to the previous use of different statins prescribed in clinical practice.
- Metalloproteinase expression in carotid plaque and its correlation with plasma levels before and after carotid endarterectomyMaurizio Taurino
U O C Chirurgia Vascolare, S Andrea Hospital, 2nd Medical School, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Vasc Endovascular Surg 41:516-21. 2007....
- Predicting medical and surgical complications of carotid endarterectomy: comparing the risk indexesMatthew J Press
Department of Health Policy, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:914-20. 2006..Several generic cardiac risk assessment tools predict perioperative cardiac complications, but their ability to predict a broader range of medical, neurologic, and surgical complications is unknown...
- Predictors of neurocognitive decline after carotid endarterectomyJ Mocco
Department of Neurological Surgery, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Neurosurgery 58:844-50; discussion 844-50. 2006Although the incidence of stroke after carotid endarterectomy (CEA) is low (1-3%), approximately 25% of patients experience subtle declines in postoperative neuropsychometric function...
- Carotid endarterectomy with a polyurethane patch versus primary closure: a prospective randomized studyDallit Mannheim
Department of Vascular Surgery, Carmel Medical Center, 7 Michal Street, 34362 Haifa, Israel
J Vasc Surg 41:403-7; discussion 407-8. 2005The use of synthetic patch angioplasty during carotid endarterectomy (CEA) has been advocated to reduce restenosis, stroke, and death, but the type of material used is still being debated...
- Use of a laryngeal mask in acute airway obstruction after carotid endarterectomyRene Martin
Can J Anaesth 49:890. 2002
- Association of intracellular pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines in peripheral blood with the clinical or ultrasound indications for carotid endarterectomy in patients with carotid atherosclerosisE Profumo
Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immune Mediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Clin Exp Immunol 152:120-6. 2008..gt; or = 70%) and clinical indications (transient ischaemic attack, amaurosis fugax or stroke) for carotid endarterectomy (CEA) in patients...
- [The role of beta-adrenoblockers and If-inhibitor ivabradine in lowering of rate of development of cardiac complications after carotid endarterectomy]Iu V Shchukin
Kardiologiia 48:56-9. 2008..of therapy with b-adrenoblockers and If-inhibitors on the rate of development of coronary complications of carotid endarterectomy. Patients (n=111, mean age 61 +/- 4 years) subjected to carotid endarterectomy in 2006 - 2007 were divided ..
- Effect of carotid endarterectomy on the ophthalmic arteryS Kawaguchi
Department of Neurosurgery, Nara Medical University, Japan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 144:427-32. 2002To evaluate the effect of carotid endarterectomy on ophthalmic artery flow direction and peak systolic flow velocity, the authors examined the ophthalmic artery on 32 patients who had undergone carotid endarterectomy.
- Cytokine expression in circulating T lymphocytes from patients undergoing carotid endarterectomyE Profumo
Department of Immunology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 44:237-42. 2003We investigated a possible relationship of cytokine expression and phenotype features of circulating T lymphocytes with the histological type of atherosclerotic plaque removed during carotid endarterectomy.
- A brain symmetry index (BSI) for online EEG monitoring in carotid endarterectomyMichel J A M van Putten
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology, Ziekenhuis Leyenburg, Leyweg 275, 2545 CH The Hague, The Netherlands
Clin Neurophysiol 115:1189-94. 2004b>Carotid endarterectomy is a common procedure as a secondary prevention of stroke, and one of the early controversies in carotid surgery is centered around whether a shunt should be used during this procedure...
- Combined carotid endarterectomy and coronary artery bypass grafting in patients with asymptomatic high-grade stenoses: an analysis of 758 proceduresJohn Byrne
Institute for Vascular Health and Disease, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY, USA
J Vasc Surg 44:67-72. 2006..In this study, we analyze our experience with patients who underwent synchronous carotid endarterectomy (CEA) and coronary artery bypass graft procedures (CABG) for hemodynamically significant (>70%) ..
- [Early neurological complications after internal carotid endarterectomy]Beata Nowak
Oddział Neurologii, Wojewódzki Szpital Specjalistyczny w Olsztynie
Neurol Neurochir Pol 39:120-4. 2005..The purpose of the study was to assess early neurologic complications after surgical reopening of the affected arteries...
- Impact of carotid endarterectomy on medical secondary prevention after a stroke or a transient ischemic attack: results from the Reduction of Atherothrombosis for Continued Health (REACH) registryEmmanuel Touze
Faculté de Médecine René Descartes, Universite Paris 5, EA 4055, Department of Neurology, Paris, France
Stroke 37:2880-5. 2006Whether a history of carotid endarterectomy influences patient compliance with medical treatments and physician attitude toward treatments after ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA) is not well known.
- Carotid surgery following previous carotid endarterectomy is safe and effectiveAhmed M Abou-Zamzam
Department of Surgery, Division of Vascular Surgery, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 36:263-70. 2002..stenting have been advocated recently as the preferred treatment of recurrent carotid disease following carotid endarterectomy. An experience with the operative treatment of recurrent carotid disease to document the risks and ..
- Prospective randomized trial of ACUSEAL (Gore-Tex) versus Hemashield-Finesse patching during carotid endarterectomy: early resultsAli F Aburahma
Department of Surgery, Robert C Byrd Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University, Charleston, WV 25304, USA
J Vasc Surg 45:881-4. 2007Several studies have reported that carotid endarterectomy (CEA) with patch angioplasty produces superior results compared with primary closure...
- Perioperative evaluation of carotid endarterectomy by 3D-CT angiography with refined reconstruction: preliminary experience of CEA without conventional angiographyH Katano
Department of Neurosurgery and Restorative Neuroscience, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Japan
Br J Neurosurg 18:138-48. 2004Three-dimensional CT angiography (3D-CTA) was employed for perioperative evaluation of carotid endarterectomy (CEA) as an alternative to conventional angiography...
- D-dimer local expression is increased in symptomatic patients undergoing carotid endarterectomyJerzy Krupinski
Cardiovascular Research Center, IIBB CSIC HSCSP UAB, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Cardiol 116:174-9. 2007..We hypothesized that symptomatic patients with advanced, unstable carotid plaques have increased local intraplaque and circulating levels of fibrin-fibrinogen related products...
- Quantitation and localization of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in human carotid endarterectomy tissuesSalman Choudhary
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:2351-8. 2006..The objective of this study was to determine the spatial distribution of TIMP mass and MMP mass and activity of carotid endarterectomy (CEA) tissues and relate it to the distribution of atherosclerotic lesions.
- CT angiography and diffusion-perfusion MR imaging in a patient with ipsilateral reversible cerebral vasoconstriction after carotid endarterectomyM H Rosenbloom
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:920-2. 2007..We describe a woman with RCVS restricted to the ipsilateral hemisphere after carotid endarterectomy. Serial CT angiography proved useful in documenting vasoconstriction...
- Carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid stenosis: asymptomatic carotid surgery trialP M Rothwell
Stroke Prevention Research Unit, University Department of Clinical Neurology, Radcliffe Infirmary, Woodstock Rd, Oxford OX2 6HE
Stroke 35:2425-7. 2004
- Leukoaraiosis predicts the need for intraoperative shunt placement during carotid endarterectomyAli Arshad
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, University Hospitals, Nottingham, UK
Perspect Vasc Surg Endovasc Ther 21:173-7. 2009..They increase the risk of stroke in natural history and perioperatively during carotid endarterectomy. This may reflect an association with impaired cerebral hemodynamics...
- APOE-epsilon4 predisposes to cognitive dysfunction following uncomplicated carotid endarterectomyE J Heyer
Department of Neurological Surgery, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neurology 65:1759-63. 2005Between 9% and 23% of patients undergoing otherwise uncomplicated carotid endarterectomy (CEA) develop subtle cognitive decline 1 month postoperatively. The APOE-epsilon4 allele has been associated with worse outcome following stroke.
- Carotid endarterectomy: update on the gold standard treatment for carotid stenosisNancy L Harthun
University of Virginia, Department of Surgery, Division of Vascular Surgery, P O Box 800679, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Am Surg 71:647-51; discussion 651-2. 2005Many prospective, randomized clinical trials evaluating the safety and efficacy of carotid endarterectomy (CEA) versus medical management in the prevention of ischemic stroke were performed in the 1990s...
- Elevations in preoperative monocyte count predispose to acute neurocognitive decline after carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid artery stenosisJ Mocco
Department of Neurosurgery, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Stroke 37:240-2. 2006Although the incidence of major stroke attributable to carotid endarterectomy (CEA) is low (1% to 2%), approximately 25% of patients experience subtle postoperative neurocognitive dysfunction...
- Factors associated with stroke or death after carotid endarterectomy in Northern New EnglandPhilip P Goodney
Section of Vascular Surgery Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03765, USA
J Vasc Surg 48:1139-45. 2008This study investigated risk factors for stroke or death after carotid endarterectomy (CEA) among hospitals of varying type and size participating in a regional quality improvement effort.
- Carotid endarterectomy with routine electroencephalography and selective shunting: Influence of contralateral internal carotid artery occlusion and utility in prevention of perioperative strokesJoseph R Schneider
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Neurology, Northwestern University Medical School, 9977 Woods Drive, Skokie, IL 60077, USA
J Vasc Surg 35:1114-22. 2002b>Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) is associated with a risk of cerebral ischemia during carotid clamping, particularly in the face of contralateral internal carotid artery (ICA) occlusion...
- Routine duplex surveillance does not improve the outcome after carotid endarterectomy: a decision and cost utility analysisPiet N Post
Department of Medical Decision Making, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Stroke 33:749-55. 2002Doppler ultrasound (duplex) tests are commonly applied after carotid endarterectomy to detect possible recurrent stenosis. The appropriate frequency and the benefits are unknown...
- Outcome of carotid endarterectomy under local anaesthesia with respect to the patients' risk profileM Aleksic
Department of Vascular Surgery, University Clinic Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Vasa 38:225-33. 2009In the present study the perioperative complication rate is compared between high- and low-risk patients when carotid endarterectomy (CEA) is routinely performed under local anaesthesia (LA).
- Systematic preoperative coronary angiography and stenting improves postoperative results of carotid endarterectomy in patients with asymptomatic coronary artery disease: a randomised controlled trialG Illuminati
Francesco Durante Department of Surgery, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 39:139-45. 2010..followed, if needed, by coronary artery angioplasty (percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)) on the incidence of cardiac ischaemic events after carotid endarterectomy (CEA) in patients without evidence of coronary artery disease (CAD).
- Arterial pressure management and carotid endarterectomyM D Stoneham
Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Br J Anaesth 102:442-52. 2009..Poor arterial pressure control is associated with increased morbidity and mortality after carotid endarterectomy, but good control of arterial pressure is often difficult to achieve in practice...
- A prospective, randomized study of saphenous vein patching versus synthetic patching during carotid endarterectomyPatrick J O'Hara
Department of Vascular Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio 44195, USA
J Vasc Surg 35:324-32. 2002The objective of this study was the determination of whether the choice of either autogenous saphenous vein (ASV) or synthetic material for patch angioplasty significantly influences the results after carotid endarterectomy (CEA).
- Stenting versus endarterectomy for treatment of carotid-artery stenosisThomas G Brott
Mayo Clinic, Griffin 304, 4500 San Pablo Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
N Engl J Med 363:11-23. 2010Carotid-artery stenting and carotid endarterectomy are both options for treating carotid-artery stenosis, an important cause of stroke.
- A controlled prospective study of neuropsychological dysfunction following carotid endarterectomyEric J Heyer
Department of Anesthesiology, Columbia University, 630 W 168th St, New York, NY 10032, USA
Arch Neurol 59:217-22. 2002..cognitive injury as revealed by neuropsychological testing occurs in a substantial number of patients following carotid endarterectomy (CEA), there is controversy about whether this finding is a result of the surgery or the anesthesia.
- The role of procalcitonin as predictor for neurological deficits after carotid endarterectomyG Mommertz
European Vascular Center Aachen Maastricht, Germany The Netherlands
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 50:665-8. 2009Outcome of carotid endarterectomy (CEA) is defined by mortality rate as well as the neurological outcome due to cerebral ischemia...
- Prospective randomized trial of routine versus selective shunting in carotid endarterectomy based on stump pressureAli F Aburahma
Robert C Byrd Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University, Charleston, WV, USA
J Vasc Surg 51:1133-8. 2010The use of shunting in carotid endarterectomy (CEA) is controversial. This randomized trial compared the results of routine (RS) vs selective shunting (SS) based on stump pressure (SP).
- Carotid endarterectomy; local or general anaesthesia?A J McCleary
Vascular Surgical Unit, General Infirmary at Leeds, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 22:1-12. 2001to review the evidence for theoretical and clinical benefits of local or general anaesthesia for carotid endarterectomy.
- High myeloid-related protein: 8/14 levels are related to an increased risk of cardiovascular events after carotid endarterectomyMihaela G Ionita
Experimental Cardiology Laboratory, Cardiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Stroke 41:2010-5. 2010..Little is known about the predictive value of Mrp-8/14 plaque and plasma levels for cardiovascular events after atherectomy...
- Bilateral carotid endarterectomy as treatment of vascular pulsatile tinnitusDevinder P Singh
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Vasc Surg 50:183-5. 2009..We found: (1) a male preponderance exists; (2) ipsilateral carotid endarterectomy (CEA) for tinnitus is 92% (12 of 13) effective; (3) proximal lesions lend themselves to CEA whereas distal ..
- EEG changes during awake carotid endarterectomyKarl A Illig
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Rochester Medical Center, NY 14642, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 16:6-11. 2002..respectively, we compared simultaneous EEG tracings and neurologic status in 135 patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy (CEA) under cervical block over a 30-month period...
- Detection of clinically silent infarcts after carotid endarterectomy by use of diffusion-weighted imagingR J Feiwell
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 22:646-9. 2001..transcranial Doppler sonography has identified multiple microembolic events during and immediately after carotid endarterectomy (CEA) or angioplasty, yet the rate of clinically evident stroke is small...
- Is carotid endarterectomy cost-effective? An analysis of symptomatic and asymptomatic patientsK M Kuntz
Section for Clinical Epidemiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Circulation 94:II194-8. 1996The North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial (NASCET) and the Asymptomatic Carotid Atherosclerosis Study (ACAS) showed significant risk reductions for carotid endarterectomy (CE) but did not consider the cost-effectiveness ..
- Sustained bilateral hemodynamic benefit of contralateral carotid endarterectomy in patients with symptomatic internal carotid artery occlusionD R Rutgers
Departments of Radiology, University Medical Center Utrecht University Hospital Utrecht, Medical Faculty Utrecht, Netherlands
Stroke 32:728-34. 2001..We sought to investigate whether in patients with a symptomatic internal carotid artery (ICA) occlusion, endarterectomy of a severe stenosis of the contralateral carotid artery can establish long-term cerebral hemodynamic improvement...
- Early carotid endarterectomy after acute strokePhilip S K Paty
Institute for Vascular Health and Disease, Albany Medical College, 47 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208, USA
J Vasc Surg 39:148-54. 2004b>Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) after acute stroke is generally delayed 6 to 8 weeks because of fear of stroke progression. This delay can result in an interval stroke rate of 9% to 15%...
- Bispectral index variations in patients with neurological deficits during awake carotid endarterectomyMaría J Estruch-Pérez
Anesthesiology and Critical Care Department, Dr Peset University Hospital, and Unit of Public Health and Environmental Care, Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Eur J Anaesthesiol 27:359-63. 2010..This study was undertaken to investigate BIS changes in awake patients with and without neurological deficits during carotid endarterectomy under regional anaesthesia.
- Carotid endarterectomy: general anaesthesia with remifentanyl conscious sedation vs loco-regional anaesthesiaG Marcucci
Unit of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Ospedale San Paolo, Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy
Int Angiol 28:496-9. 2009To retrospectively evaluate and compare the safety and efficacy of general anesthesia with remifentanyl conscious sedation (RCS) vs local-regional anesthesia (LA) for carotid endarterectomy (CEA).
- The causes of early disorders of cerebral circulation in patients undergoing carotid endarterectomyIu A Morozov
Laboratory of Rapid Diagnosis, Russian Scientific Center of Surgery, RAMS, Moscow, Russia
Angiol Sosud Khir 12:21-7. 2006to examine hemostasis in patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy as dependent on the course of the short-term postoperative period.
- Assessment of operative competence during carotid endarterectomyJ D Beard
Sheffield Vascular Institute, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield S5 7AU, UK
Br J Surg 94:726-30. 2007Objective Structured Assessment of Technical Skills (OSATS) has been used to assess operative competence. The aim was to evaluate its role in carotid endarterectomy (CEA).
- High-resolution ultrasound-guided high interscalene plexus block for carotid endarterectomyThomas Roessel
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Reg Anesth Pain Med 32:247-53. 2007..We evaluated the feasibility of performing a high interscalene brachial-plexus block for carotid endarterectomy by means of HRUI, thereby limiting the amount of LA to the dose required to sufficiently surround the ..
- Randomized trial of vein versus Dacron patching during carotid endarterectomy: influence of patch type on postoperative embolizationP D Hayes
Department of Vascular Surgery and Neurology, The Leicester Royal Infirmary, UK
J Vasc Surg 33:994-1000. 2001..A recent overview indicated that although routine patching is safer than routine primary closure after carotid endarterectomy (CEA), there is no systematic evidence that patch type influences outcome...
- The timing of carotid endarterectomy post strokeEli M Baron
Temple University School of Medicine, Department of Neurosurgery, 580, Parkinson Pavilion, 3401 N Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Neurol Clin 24:669-80. 2006....
- 30 day results from the SPACE trial of stent-protected angioplasty versus carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients: a randomised non-inferiority trialP A Ringleb
Lancet 368:1239-47. 2006b>Carotid endarterectomy is effective in stroke prevention for patients with severe symptomatic carotid-artery stenosis, and carotid-artery stenting has been widely used as alternative treatment...
- Elevation in plasma MMP-9 following carotid endarterectomy is associated with particulate cerebral embolisationK J Molloy
Department of Surgery, University of Leicester, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 27:409-13. 2004To study plasma MMP-9 levels before and after carotid endarterectomy (CEA).
- Carotid endarterectomy: comparing anesthesia in awakened and intubated patients with general anesthesiaF H Ebner
Department of Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Hospital of Bolzano, Italy
Minerva Cardioangiol 56:29-34. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine utility and efficacy of anesthesia with remifentanil in awakened and intubated patients in comparison with general anesthesia and routine shunting...
- Provider volume and outcomes for abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, carotid endarterectomy, and lower extremity revascularization proceduresShane D Killeen
Department of Academic Surgery, National University of Ireland NUI University College Cork UCC, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
J Vasc Surg 45:615-26. 2007..Although a large number of studies assess the relationship between volume and outcome, a single contemporary compilation of such studies is lacking...
- The influence of inspired oxygen fraction and end-tidal carbon dioxide on post-cross-clamp cerebral oxygenation during carotid endarterectomy under general anesthesiaPaul Picton
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Anesth Analg 110:581-7. 2010..Paradoxical improvements in cerebral blood flow during carotid endarterectomy (CEA) at the time of cross-clamping and normalization of post-cross-clamp electroencephalographic ..
- Institutional peer review can reduce the risk and cost of carotid endarterectomyI V Olcott C
Division of Vascular Surgery, Stanford University Medical Center, Mail Stop H3636, Stanford, CA 94305 5642, USA
Arch Surg 135:939-42. 2000Surgeon-directed institutional peer review, associated with positive physician feedback, can decrease the morbidity and mortality rates associated with carotid endarterectomy.
- Subtle cerebral damage after shunting vs non shunting during carotid endarterectomyD Palombo
Unit of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino, Genova, Italy
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 34:546-51. 2007To compare the extent of subtle cerebral damage (SCD) in patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy with or without shunt placement.
- The appropriate use of carotid endarterectomyHenry J M Barnett
John P Robarts Research Institute, London, Ont
CMAJ 166:1169-79. 2002For the first 30 years after carotid endarterectomy was first developed, anecdotal evidence was used to identify patients with internal carotid artery disease for whom this procedure would be appropriate...
- Cerebral oximetry does not correlate with electroencephalography and somatosensory evoked potentials in determining the need for shunting during carotid endarterectomyMark L Friedell
Department of Surgical Education, Orlando Regional Healthcare, Orlando, Florida, USA
J Vasc Surg 48:601-6. 2008..have described the value of regional cerebral oximetry (rSO(2)) as a neuromonitoring device during carotid endarterectomy (CEA)...
- Restenosis after carotid endarterectomyH Sadideen
Department of Ultrasound Angiology, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital Trust, London, UK
Int J Clin Pract 60:1625-30. 2006..over the last decade for both symptomatic and asymptomatic carotid stenosis have proven the efficacy of carotid endarterectomy (CE) in reducing the risk of stroke...
- Using Outcomes Analyses to Inform Implementation of NINDS Clinical TrialsJAMES FRANCIS BURKE; Fiscal Year: 2013..These objectives will be addressed through 3 specific aims: 1. to estimate the expected net benefit of carotid endarterectomy (CEA) vs...
- Insulin Resistance Intervention after Stroke (IRIS) TrialWalter N Kernan; Fiscal Year: 2013..vascular events include antiplatelet therapy, hypertension control, anticoagulation, lipid management, and carotid endarterectomy. Despite these effective strategies, each year 4-8% of suitably treated patients still experience ..
- APOPTOSIS OF SMOOTH MUSCLE CELLS IN CAROTID PLAQUESDevendra K Agrawal; Fiscal Year: 2013..funding cycle, we made novel observations that IGF-1 is more potent in inducing the survival of VSMCs in carotid endarterectomy tissues of asymptomatic than symptomatic patients...
- Ultrasound-induced Thermal Strain Imaging for Arterial Plaque CharacterizationKang Kim; Fiscal Year: 2013..experiments using the tissue mimicking phantoms, the human tissue specimens from autopsy, amputation and carotid endarterectomy (CEA), and high cholesterol-fed rabbit model...
- Comparative Effectiveness of Treatment Options for Asymptomatic Carotid DiseaseSteven D Pizer; Fiscal Year: 2013..applicant): Anticipated Impacts on Veterans'Healthcare At the present time it is not known how many carotid endarterectomy (CEA) procedures are performed in the VA on patients with asymptomatic carotid disease and how many are ..
- Middle cerebral artery stroke: Non-contrast MR screening of high-risk plaqueChun Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Protocol performance will be validated against histology in patients scheduled for carotid endarterectomy. The validated protocol will then be used to test the hypothesis that ischemic stroke in the MCA territory ..
- Novel Neuroprotective/Anti-inflammatory Therapy for Ischemic StrokeDavid E Smith; Fiscal Year: 2010..such as diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and lifestyle;in patients with severe stenosis, carotid endarterectomy may be indicated...
- Long-term Cognitive Effects of Microembolization Associated with Carotid StentingWei Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) and stenting (CAS) have shown to be effective in stroke prevention...
- Technology Diffusion, Health Outcomes, and Healthcare ExpendituresJonathan S Skinner; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposal considers two specific treatments: the sharp reduction in carotid endarterectomy (both surgery and stents), and the decline in the use of Rosiglitazone (Avandia), an anti-diabetic drug, ..
- Mechanism of Cognitive Dysfunction: CEA and StentingERIC JOHN HEYER; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Carotid endarterectomy prevents stroke and reduces mortality...
- Surgeon Human Capital Depreciation Impacts on Resource Use and Patient OutcomesJason Hockenberry; Fiscal Year: 2011..surgical procedures used to treat coronary artery disease, CABG and PCI, as well as AAA repair surgery, carotid endarterectomy and aortic valve repair. There are two secondary aims...
- New Ultrasound Instrument for Carotid ScreeningDavid Vilkomerson; Fiscal Year: 2009..At least 50% of strokes arise from plaque at the carotid bifurcation. Removing plaque (a "carotid endarterectomy") from asymptomatic patients who have significant carotid stenoses reduces their stroke rate over the next ..
- Vulnerable Plaque Detection with Carotid Strain ImagingTomy Varghese; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, the entire excised plaque core following carotid endarterectomy will be further evaluated using histological analysis at the same in-vivo transverse cross-sections (based ..
- Leveraging Health IT to Avoid Unnecessary Asymptomatic Carotid RevascularizationPhilip P Goodney; Fiscal Year: 2013..Carotid revascularization, via surgical carotid endarterectomy or carotid artery stenting, is among the most frequently performed vascular procedures, and is widely ..
- Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy vs. Stenting Trial: Long Term Follow-upAlice J Sheffet; Fiscal Year: 2013..Stenting Trial (CREST) that is designed to establish the relative efficacy of carotid endarterectomy (CEA) versus carotid artery stenting (CAS)...
- Comparative Effectiveness of Carotid Artery Revascularization vs Medical TherapySalomeh Keyhani; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Randomized controlled trials (RCTs) have established that carotid endarterectomy (CEA) is superior to medical therapy in preventing stroke in both asymptomatic and symptomatic patients with carotid ..
- Structural Stability of Carotid Plaque and SymptomatologyRobert J Dempsey; Fiscal Year: 2013..The study uses human carotid endarterectomy patients to study three specific aims...
- CEREBROVASCULAR RESERVE BY XE/CT VERSUS TCD AND OXIMETRYRonda Pindzola; Fiscal Year: 2003..Several recent studies have shown that patients with asymptomatic carotid stenosis benefit from carotid endarterectomy. However, the ACAS trial found that 17 patients needed to be operated on to prevent one stroke or death ..
- PET/MRI of atherosclerosisChun Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2012..will utilize high-resolution micro-PET imaging to establish a gold standard of localized signal in ex vivo carotid endarterectomy (CEA) specimens...
- EQUITY OF INPATIENT SURGERY UTILIZATION IN CALIFORNIAMita Giacomini; Fiscal Year: 1992..The utilization of seven surgical procedures will be analyzed: coronary artery bypass, pacemaker implant, carotid endarterectomy, hip arthroplasty/replacement, lithotripsy, kidney transplantation, and surgery for gastrointestinal ..
- Neuroimaging Correlates of Memory Decline Following Carotid InterventionsWei Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2013..Whereas both carotid endarterectomy (CEA) and carotid stenting (CAS) are effective treatments for stroke prevention in patients with severe ..
- Carotid angioplasty and stenting in the elderlyBrahmajee Nallamothu; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Each year approximately 100,000 elderly Americans undergo carotid endarterectomy (CEA) to reduce their risk of stroke and death...
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities and High Volume HospitalsBradford Gray; Fiscal Year: 2003..City found that whites were about twice as likely as African-Americans to use a high volume hospital for carotid endarterectomy (64% vs. 32%) and for cancer surgery (42% vs...
- CEREBRAL ISCHEMIA--MINIMIZING DAMAGE DURING ANESTHESIADavid Warner; Fiscal Year: 1992..g. carotid endarterectomy, cardiopulmonary bypass)...
- A STRUCTURED CRITERIA REVIEW PROCESS FOR FOUR SURGICAL PJ Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 1991..for coronary artery bypass graft surgery, abdominal aortic aneurysm resection, cataract extraction and carotid endarterectomy. This proposed one-year project is designed to test a model review and dissemination process by (1) ..
- EICOSANOIDS AND HEALING OF CAROTID ENDARTERECTOMYHarry Bush; Fiscal Year: 1990..of acute thrombosis, myointimal hyperplasia, and distal vasospastic abnormalities during healing of a carotid endarterectomy. If this hypothesis is valid, selective blockage of the platelet cyclo- oxygenase, whose major product, ..
- SPECIMEN BASED ACCURACY OF CAROTID STENOSIS EVALUATIONDavid Saloner; Fiscal Year: 1999..A more accurate assessment of carotid artery stenosis will provide improved selection of patients for carotid endarterectomy surgery...
- CORONARY ARTERY BYPASS ENDARTERECTOMY STAGING TRIALJohn Ricotta; Fiscal Year: 2002..lesions in both carotid and coronary circulation, management alternatives include performing either the carotid endarterectomy (CEA) or the CABG first, followed later by a second operation, or performing both operations under the ..
- Structure-Function Assessment of Carotid Disease by MRFelix Wehrli; Fiscal Year: 2004..N=50 each) with clinically significant carotid stenosis (>70 percent), who will subsequently undergo carotid endarterectomy (CEA), determine the prevalence of hypoperfusion in each hemisphere in relation to luminal narrowing, ..
- Assessing Microstructure of Carotid Disease with MRI/MRSRonald Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2006..N = 50 each) with clinically significant carotid stenosis (>70%) who will subsequently undergo carotid endarterectomy (CEA) will be recruited. These patients will undergo high-resolution MR imaging of the carotid artery at 1...
- GENE THERAPY FOR LARYNGEAL PARALYSISPaul Flint; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thyroid surgery, carotid endarterectomy, cardiothoracic and primary lung procedures may also result in laryngeal paralysis...
- Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy vs Stenting TrialThomas G Brott; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, randomized clinical trial data contrasting the efficacy of CAS and carotid endarterectomy (CEA), the gold standard treatment for carotid atherosclerosis, are not available except in restricted ..
- Acute Outcomes & Management of TIA with Carotid DiseaseMAI NGUYEN HUYNH; Fiscal Year: 2009..Clinical trials have demonstrated a clear benefit of carotid endarterectomy (CEA) over medical management in patients with TIA or minor stroke and severe ICA stenosis...
- Characterization of Carotid Artery FlowTAMARA FITZGERALD; Fiscal Year: 2007..Flow characteristics may prove to be predictive of disease outcome and treatment efficacy after carotid endarterectomy or angioplasty...
- UTILIZATION OF RESEARCH ON CARDIOVASCULAR TECHNOLOGIESPAUL WORTMAN; Fiscal Year: 1990..considerable databases on coronary artery bypass graft surgery, lytic agents for myocardial infarction, carotid endarterectomy, and drug interventions for congestive heart myocardial infarction, carotid endarterectomy, and drug ..
- MRI IN VIVO DETECTION OF UNSTABLE ATHEROSCLEROTIC PLAQUEChun Yuan; Fiscal Year: 1999..High resolution MRI of the carotid artery immediately prior to carotid endarterectomy will allow direct correlation of MR images and histologic features...
- CELLULAR ALTERATION OF VASCULAR INJURYLOUIS BIRINYI; Fiscal Year: 1992..One major surgical form of vessel wall injury, carotid endarterectomy, may also cause chronic proliferation, since clinical studies suggest a surprisingly high incidence (6-20%)..
- Quantitative Vascular Image Analysis systemWilliam Kerwin; Fiscal Year: 2009..score indicating whether a patient with carotid stenosis would benefit from surgical intervention such as carotid endarterectomy (CEA) or stenting...
- Non-viral Gene Delivery for CNS NeuroprotectionJAMES HECKER; Fiscal Year: 2003..Exposure to focal brain ischemia may occur during neurosurgical resection, during carotid endarterectomy, and during cardiac bypass or total circulatory arrest procedures...
- ULTRASONIC CHARACTER OF CAROTID PLAQUE CONSTITUENTSAndrew Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2001..The research is designed to identify the UTC features that best correlate with the histology of carotid endarterectomy specimens, determine the scattering basis of observed UTC parameter values for plaque constituents, ..
- DATABASES IN GERIATRIC CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE AND STROKEWilliam Hazzard; Fiscal Year: 1999..coronary disease; 4) Valve surgery; 5) Pacemakers, EP and ablation devices; 6) Cerebrovascular disease (Carotid endarterectomy, thrombolysis); 7) Congestive heart failure; and 8) Prevention through risk factor modification...
- Does Nitric Oxide Control Synaptic Zinc Release?Christopher Frederickson; Fiscal Year: 2003..of the Zn2+ toxicity via NO modulation could be used as therapeutic pretreatment in cardiac bypass and carotid endarterectomy procedures...
- MEASURING AND IMPROVING QUALITY: CAROTID ENDARTERECTOMYMark Chassin; Fiscal Year: 2002b>Carotid endarterectomy is a surgical procedure commonly performed among the elderly to prevent stroke. Its annual incidence is rising rapidly, up 61 percent nationally between 1991 and 1994...
- MRI IDENTIFICATION--HIGH RISK ATHEROSCLEROTIC PLAQUESChun Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2000..their accessibility by high resolution MRI techniques, and 3) the accessibility of carotid samples due to carotid endarterectomy that provides us with excellent opportunity to verify the MRI results by examining the samples ..
- Pulsatile Hemodynamics and Carotid StentingCHRISTOPHER QUICK; Fiscal Year: 2006..vessels that supply the brain is a relatively new treatment that may be a viable alternative to carotid endarterectomy. Based on the extensive history of coronary artery stenting, it can be surmised that restenosis will be a ..
- MR IMAGING OF THE VULNERABLE PLAQUEThomas Brady; Fiscal Year: 2001..Examine carotid artery atheromas in patients scheduled for carotid endarterectomy, and examine atherectomy specimens for plaque morphometrics and immunohistochemistry...
- Imaging Apoptosis to Detect Unstable Atheromatous PlaqueJagat Narula; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, annexin imaging will be performed in a pilot clinical study in patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy. The impending surgical intervention will allow histopathological evaluation of the endarterectomy ..
- ULTRASONIC EVALUATION IN DIRECT ARTERIAL SURGERYDONALD STRANDNESS; Fiscal Year: 1990..the degree of stenosis, the ultrasonic duplex method will be used to assess the prevalence of restenosis after carotid endarterectomy and its relevance to the development of clinical events such as transient ischemic attacks and strokes.
- MIDCAREER INVESTIGATOR AWARD IN CEREBROVASCULAR RESEARCHLarry Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- AMPHETAMINE ENHANCED STROKE RECOVERY--BURKE SRCI GROUPLarry Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2002..However the treatment duration will be increased to a total of 10 sessions. ..
- 3T Atherosclerotic MRI and Carotid Artery Scoring SystemChun Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Currently some 140,000 carotid endarterectomy (CEA) surgeries are performed annually in the U.S. to prevent these events...
- Homocysteine/Hypertension & Vascular Lesion FormationPeter Lin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Vein wall remodeling after DVT is matrix metalloproteinase dependentPeter Henke; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposal will provide important mechanistic insight into the pathophysiology of post-phelbitic syndrome with real potential translation to decreasing the morbidity from this under-acknowledged disease. ..
- Thrombus resolution is CXC chemokine dependentPeter Henke; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- SECONDARY PREVENTION IN SMALL SUBCORTICAL STROKES (SPS3)Oscar Benavente; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Contract-Enhanced MRI for Evaluating Carotid AtheromaBruce Wasserman; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Cognitive Function After Intracranial Aneurysm SurgerySatwant Samra; Fiscal Year: 2005..Information gained from this investigation will be important in giving a prognosis for returning back to work as well as planning rehabilitation of patients suffering from aneurysmal SAH in future. ..
- Advanced NeuroImaging for Acute Stroke TreatmentMax Wintermark; Fiscal Year: 2007..Invited junior scientists, for whom funding is requested, were selected based on merit. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Osteoprotegerin and osteopontin in aortic aneurysmJonathan Golledge; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the role of these calcium-controlling proteins in artery weakness and how drug therapy can interfere in these effects is an important step in the development of new treatment for aortic aneurysm. ..
- Hormone Replacement Therapy and Ischemic Stroke SeverityCheryl Bushnell; Fiscal Year: 2005..This proposal will also provide critical transitional support in a mentored environment leading to the candidate's complete independence as a clinical investigator. ..