Summary: An operation that uses stimulated latissimus dorsi muscle (SKELETAL MUSCLE VENTRICLE) to assist cardiac function. The latissimus dorsi muscle is mobilized from the chest wall and moved into the thorax through the bed of the resected 2nd or 3rd rib. The muscle is then wrapped around the left and right ventricles and stimulated to contract during cardiac systole by means of an implanted burst-stimulator. (Stedman, 26th ed)
Publications196 found, 100 shown here
- Myocardial regeneration therapy for heart failure: hepatocyte growth factor enhances the effect of cellular cardiomyoplastyShigeru Miyagawa
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Surgery E1, School of Allied Health Science, Faculty of Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Circulation 105:2556-61. 2002We hypothesized that transfection of the gene for human hepatocyte growth factor (hHGF) combined with cellular cardiomyoplasty might regenerate the impaired myocardium.
- [Surgical therapy of end-stage heart failure]Stefan Christiansen
Klinik fur Thorax, Herz und Gefässchirurgie, Universitatsklinikum, Rheinisch Westfalische Technische Hochschule, Aachen
Herz 28:380-92. 2003..Dynamic cardiomyoplasty and Myosplint implantation were not successful, but it must be awaited, if passive cardiomyoplasty leads to ..
- Massive mechanical loss of microspheres with direct intramyocardial injection in the beating heart: implications for cellular cardiomyoplastyCarolyn J Teng
Division of Cardiac Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:628-32. 2006..Studies have demonstrated a significant and rapid loss of implanted cells, which is thought to be biologically caused. We hypothesized that mechanical loss of cells from the contracting myocardium might actually be the main culprit...
- Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor treatment enhances the efficacy of cellular cardiomyoplasty with transplantation of embryonic stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes in infarcted myocardiumSeung Woo Cho
Department of Bioengineering, Hanyang University, Seoul 133 791, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 340:573-82. 2006..that granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) administration would enhance the efficacy of cellular cardiomyoplasty with embryonic stem (ES) cell-derived cardiomyocytes in infarcted myocardium...
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty: routes of cell delivery and retentionAdil Al Kindi
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Front Biosci 13:2421-34. 2008Experimental and clinical studies have proven the feasibility of cellular cardiomyoplasty in treating the damaged myocardium following ischemic injury...
- Tissue cardiomyoplasty using bioengineered contractile cardiomyocyte sheets to repair damaged myocardium: their integration with recipient myocardiumShigeru Miyagawa
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Transplantation 80:1586-95. 2005..We hypothesized that tissue-engineered contractile cardiomyocyte sheets without a scaffold would show histological and electrical integration with impaired myocardium, leading to the regeneration of infarcted myocardium...
- Lithium chloride preconditioning optimizes skeletal myoblast functions for cellular cardiomyoplasty in vitro via glycogen synthase kinase-3beta/beta-catenin signalingW J Du
Department of Cardiology, Second Clinical College, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
Cells Tissues Organs 190:11-9. 2009The benefits of skeletal myoblast (SkM) transplantation for cardiomyoplasty are limited due to their decreased functional integration with host cardiomyocytes and the poor survival of implanted cells in ischemic hearts...
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty improves survival after myocardial injuryWilhelm Roell
Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Circulation 105:2435-41. 2002Cellular cardiomyoplasty is discussed as an alternative therapeutic approach to heart failure...
- Spherically symmetric mesenchymal stromal cell bodies inherent with endogenous extracellular matrices for cellular cardiomyoplastyChung Chi Wang
Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Stem Cells 27:724-32. 2009..These results indicated that the spherically symmetric bodies of MSCs developed in the study may serve as a cell-delivery vehicle and improve the efficacy of therapeutic cell transplantation...
- Effects of Tongxinluo-facilitated cellular cardiomyoplasty with autologous bone marrow-mesenchymal stem cells on postinfarct swine heartsHai yan Qian
Department of Cardiology, Fuwai Hospital and Cardiovascular Institute, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100037, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:1416-25. 2007....
- Combined autologous cellular cardiomyoplasty with skeletal myoblasts and bone marrow cells in canine hearts for ischemic cardiomyopathyImran A Memon
Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Department of Surgery E1, Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Osaka, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 130:646-53. 2005Cellular cardiomyoplasty with isolated skeletal myoblasts and bone marrow mononuclear cells is an encouraging therapeutic strategy for heart failure...
- Clinical cellular cardiomyoplasty: technical considerationsFumin Zhang
The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, P R China
J Card Surg 18:268-73. 2003..Our experience indicated the safety and early benefit of cellular cardiomyoplasty using autologous satellite cells.
- Angiogenic pretreatment improves the efficacy of cellular cardiomyoplasty performed with fetal cardiomyocyte implantationMauricio A Retuerto
Evanston Northwest Healthcare, IL 60201, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 127:1041-9; discussion 1049-51. 2004Cell implantation into areas of myocardial infarction (cellular cardiomyoplasty) may be limited in efficacy because of the lack of blood supply to these areas of myocardium, resulting in early loss of transplanted cells...
- Histopathological findings in skeletal muscle used in human dynamic cardiomyoplastyP S Gutierrez
Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Av Dr Eneas C Aguiar 44, 05403 000 São Paulo SP, Brazil
J Pathol 194:116-21. 2001Patients submitted to dynamic cardiomyoplasty had an initial clinical improvement followed by a decrease in cardiac failure indices. A histopathological study of the skeletal muscle was undertaken to explain this...
- Cardiomyoplasty improves contractile reserve after myocardial injury in mice: functional and morphological investigations with reconstructive three-dimensional echocardiographyAlexander Ghanem
Department of Medicine Cardiology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Cell Transplant 20:1621-8. 2011Cellular cardiomyoplasty (CMP) is a novel therapeutic approach to myocardial injury (MI)...
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty: current state of the fieldAlice Le Huu
Division of Cardiac Surgery and Surgical Research, Department of Surgery, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, QC, Canada
Regen Med 7:571-82. 2012Cellular cardiomyoplasty employs stem cell therapy to regenerate myocardium...
- Stem cell experiments and initial clinical trial of cellular cardiomyoplastySoma Guhathakurta
Frontier Lifeline Pvt Ltd, Mogappair, Chennai 600 101, India
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 17:581-6. 2009..The trial proved to be safe because there was no procedure-related mortality. There is growing optimism that stem cell therapy may delay heart transplantation...
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty with human amniotic fluid stem cells: in vitro and in vivo studiesYi Chun Yeh
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan, Republic of China
Tissue Eng Part A 16:1925-36. 2010..The results demonstrated that hAFSCs induce angiogenesis, have cardiomyogenic potential, and may be used as a new cell source for cellular cardiomyoplasty.
- Association between a cell-seeded collagen matrix and cellular cardiomyoplasty for myocardial support and regenerationMiguel Cortes-Morichetti
Pompidou Hospital, Paris, France
Tissue Eng 13:2681-7. 2007The objective of cellular cardiomyoplasty is to regenerate the myocardium using implantation of living cells...
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty and cardiac tissue engineering for myocardial therapyFeng Wang
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, 43210, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 62:784-97. 2010..Two strategies have been currently taken for cellular transplantation, including in situ cellular cardiomyoplasty and cardiac tissue engineering...
- Combined autologous cellular cardiomyoplasty using skeletal myoblasts and bone marrow cells for human ischemic cardiomyopathy with left ventricular assist system implantation: report of a caseShigeru Miyagawa
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka, 565 0871, Japan
Surg Today 39:133-6. 2009..We recently introduced combined autologous cellular cardiomyoplasty with skeletal myoblasts and bone marrow cells as a treatment for human ischemic cardiomyopathy...
- Percutaneous transvenous cellular cardiomyoplasty. A novel nonsurgical approach for myocardial cell transplantationCraig A Thompson
Cardiovascular Division, Knight Center for Cardiac Catheterization and Intervention, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit Street, Blake 950, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 41:1964-71. 2003..The study evaluated a nonsurgical means of intramyocardial cell introduction using the coronary venous system for direct myocardial access and cell delivery...
- Amniotic stem cells for cellular cardiomyoplasty: promises and premisesGuillaume Walther
Research Center, Hopital Laval, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie, Quebec, Canada
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 73:917-24. 2009Cellular cardiomyoplasty is undergoing intensive investigation as a new form of therapy for severely damaged hearts. Among several cell types, mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) have been proposed as a potential cell source...
- Left ventricular pressure-volume relationships before and after cardiomyoplasty in patients with heart failureJ J Schreuder
Department of Anesthesiology and Cardiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Circulation 96:2978-86. 1997The aim of this study was to elucidate whether beneficial effects of cardiomyoplasty (CMP) in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy are the result of a decrease in existing ventricular dilatation or a prevention of further dilatation.
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty of cardiac fibroblasts by adenoviral delivery of MyoD ex vivo: an unlimited source of cells for myocardial repairSharon Etzion
Neufeld Cardiac Research Institute, Tel Aviv University, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Circulation 106:I125-30. 2002..The purpose of our study was to determine whether MyoD could induce primary cardiac fibroblasts, isolated from infarcted myocardium or pericardium, to undergo myogenic conversion in a clinically relevant approach...
- Percutaneous intracoronary cellular cardiomyoplasty for nonischemic cardiomyopathy: clinical and histopathological results: the first-in-man ABCD (Autologous Bone Marrow Cells in Dilated Cardiomyopathy) trialSandeep Seth
J Am Coll Cardiol 48:2350-1. 2006
- Repeated direct endomyocardial transplantation of allogeneic mesenchymal stem cells: safety of a high dose, "off-the-shelf", cellular cardiomyoplasty strategyKian Keong Poh
Caritas St Elizabeth s Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, United States
Int J Cardiol 117:360-4. 2007Efficacy of cellular cardiomyoplasty seems to occur in a dose-related manner. However, the safety of multiple transendomyocardial transplantation procedures to administer high cell dosages has not been previously reported...
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty for myocardial regenerationJuan C Chachques
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Pompidou Hospital, 20 rue Leblanc, Paris 75015, France
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 13:287-96. 2005..This approach is principally cellular therapy (i.e. cellular cardiomyoplasty), the preferred therapeutic choice because of its clinical applicability and regenerative capacity...
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty in a transgenic mouse modelWilhelm Roell
Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Bonn, 53105 Bonn, Germany
Transplantation 73:462-5. 2002..The aim of the present study was to develop a novel surgical approach that allows standardized cellular cardiomyoplasty in mouse with low-perioperative mortality.
- Right ventricular cardiomyoplasty: 10-year follow-upJuan C Chachques
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Pompidou Hospital, Paris, France
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1464-8. 2003..The aim of this study is to present the first clinical report and long-term results of RV dynamic cardiomyoplasty applied in patients with RV failure caused by isolated RV cardiomyopathies.
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty: clinical applicationJuan C Chachques
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, European Hospital Georges Pompidou, University of Paris, Paris, France
Ann Thorac Surg 77:1121-30. 2004..More than 150 patients have been treated with cellular cardiomyoplasty worldwide, 18 patients have been treated by our group...
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty in large myocardial infarction: can the beneficial effect be enhanced by ACE-inhibitor therapy?Emerson L Olivares
Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho UFRJ, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 21949 9000, Brazil
Eur J Heart Fail 9:558-67. 2007Cellular cardiomyoplasty with bone marrow derived stromal (MSC) and mononuclear (BMNC) cells has been shown to improve performance of infarcted hearts...
- Angiogenic pretreatment to enhance myocardial function after cellular cardiomyoplasty with skeletal myoblastsMauricio A Retuerto
Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Evanston, Ill, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:478-484.e2. 2007Improvements in ventricular function after cellular cardiomyoplasty appear to be limited by the poor survival of the cellular implants...
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty: a new therapeutic approach for regenerating the myocardiumMariann R Piano
Medical Surgical Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Nursing, Chicago, Ill 60612, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 18:374-81. 2003..most promising new therapeutic techniques for the augmentation and regeneration of the myocardium is cellular cardiomyoplasty. Reports from animal and clinical investigations indicate that the transplant of different cell types, such ..
- From dynamic to cellular cardiomyoplastyJuan C Chachques
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Ponpidou Hospital, Paris, France
J Card Surg 17:194-200. 2002Dynamic Cardiomyoplasty. Latissimus dorsi dynamic cardiomyoplasty has been used in our institution for heart failure patients refractory to medical therapy; 113 cases were operated at Broussais and Pompidou Hospitals and 75 patients by ..
- Sequential histologic analysis of the myocardium after dynamic cardiomyoplasty: a study based on right ventricular endomyocardial biopsiesLuiz Alberto Benvenuti
Laboratory of Pathology University of São Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Heart Lung Transplant 23:1438-40. 2004Although dynamic cardiomyoplasty may promote clinical amelioration and mild improvement in left ventricular function in selected patients, whether cardiac reverse remodeling occurs after the procedure is not clear...
- Surgical remodeling of left ventricleVincent Dor
Centre Cardio Thoracique, Monaco
Surg Clin North Am 84:27-43. 2004..The potential of adding cellular therapy to stimulate growth in the viable distended myocardium is perhaps a further promising complement of this treatment...
- Dynamic cardiomyoplasty as a biomechanic bridge to heart transplantationDeniz Suha Kucukaksu
Türkiye Yüsek Ihtisas Hospital Cardiac Surgery Clinic, Kizilay, Ankara, Turkey
Heart Lung 32:407-11. 2003We report a heart transplantation that was done 4 years after a dynamic cardiomyoplasty operation. The patient was a 42-year-old man. Radionucleide ventriculography with technetium 99 m revealed an ejection fraction of 18%...
- Management of heart failure: crossing boundary over to the surgical countryG William Dec
Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Surg Clin North Am 84:1-25. 2004..The articles that follow will describe in detail the advances that have been made in "crossing the boundary" to surgical treatment of advanced heart failure...
- Transplantation of neonatal cardiomyocytes after permanent coronary artery occlusion increases regional blood flow of infarcted myocardiumThorsten Reffelmann
The Heart Institute, Good Samaritan Hospital, University of Southern California, 1225 Wilshire Boulevard, CA 90017 2395, Los Angeles, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 35:607-13. 2003Cellular cardiomyoplasty is a promising approach for rebuilding scar tissue after acute myocardial infarction...
- Use what you have--biological assistance for the treatment of heart failure in the CaribbeanI R Ramnarine
Skeletal Muscle Assist Research Group, Department of Human Anatomy and Cell Biology, Sherrington Building, Ashton St, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3GE, United Kingdom
West Indian Med J 54:65-9. 2005..We discuss the financial and research implications of treating patients from the Caribbean who have end-stage heart failure...
- Determinants of long-term mortality of current palliative surgical treatment for dilated cardiomyopathyLuiz Felipe P Moreira
Division of Surgery, Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23:756-63; discussion 763-4. 2003Dynamic cardiomyoplasty and partial left ventriculectomy have shown limited and controversial results in the treatment of dilated cardiomyopathies...
- Combined transplantation of skeletal myoblasts and bone marrow stem cells for myocardial repair in ratsH C Ott
Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Innsbruck, Anichstrasse, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 25:627-34. 2004..To prove whether intramyocardial transplantation of combined skeletal myoblasts (SM) and mononuclear bone marrow stem cells is superior to the isolated transplantation of these cell types after myocardial infarction in rats...
- [New horizons in cardiovascular treatment: cellular cardiomyoplasty and stem cell transplantation]Yonca Aktaş
Department of Cardiology, Ankara Numune Hospital, Ankara
Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 3:340-7. 2003..After studies on animal models; pilot studies to explore the effect of cellular cardiomyoplasty and stem cell implantation on humans have been started...
- Myocardial tissue engineering and regeneration as a therapeutic alternative to transplantationA S Krupnick
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 6 Silverstein Building, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 280:139-64. 2004..Current experimental efforts focus on cellular cardiomyoplasty, myocardial tissue engineering, and myocardial regeneration as alternative approaches to whole organ ..
- Effects of cellular cardiomyoplasty on ventricular remodeling assessed by Doppler echocardiography and topographic immunohistochemistryMinoru Yoshiyama
Department of Internal Medicine and Cardiology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka City University, Japan
Circ J 68:580-6. 2004..myocyte would attenuate deleterious remodeling and so the present study used Doppler echocardiography and histology to analyze the cardiac function and histological regeneration of the damaged myocardium after cellular cardiomyoplasty.
- Surgical management of heart failureNancy M Albert
Clinical Investigations Unit, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 15:477-87. 2003....
- Clinical trials in the surgical management of congestive heart failure: surgical ventricular restoration and autologous skeletal myoblast and stem cell cardiomyoplastyPatrick I McConnell
The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Cardiology 101:48-60. 2004..Although these emerging therapeutic options remain in the early stages of study and development, they hold promise in providing options to those patients with end-stage CHF...
- Immunosuppression and xenotransplantation of cells for cardiac repairYong Fu Xiao
Stem Cell Research Laboratory, the Charles A Dana Research Institute, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 77:737-44. 2004....
- Orthotopic cardiac transplantation 30 months after successful dynamic cardiomyoplastyGeorge V Letsou
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, The University of Texas Houston Medical School, Houston, Texas 7703
Ann Thorac Surg 76:1289-91. 2003Reports of cardiac transplantation after successful cardiomyoplasty are rare...
- Current status of cardiomyoplasty as surgical alternative for end-stage heart failureArimantas Dumcius
Clinic of Heart Surgery, Kaunas University of Medicine, 3000 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 39:815-22. 2003..However, when heart transplantation is not possible, other surgical options are available, and one of them is cardiomyoplasty. Below is a new multi-step approach for improving cardiomyoplasty results according to our clinical and ..
- Stem cell cardiomyoplasty: state-of-the-artW Shim
Research and Development Unit, National Heart Centre, 17 Third Hospital Avenue, Singapore 168752
Ann Acad Med Singapore 33:451-60. 2004..In this review, we seek to summarise the latest data and postulate future directions in this potentially exciting field...
- Feasibility of arresting the process of remodelingP E Somasundaram
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Med Clin North Am 88:1193-207, x. 2004..This article reviews the current data on the feasibility of arresting this process. This review is not meant to be exhaustive but provides a brief overview of the approaches being contemplated in this field...
- New surgical therapies for heart failureMatthias Loebe
M E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Curr Opin Cardiol 18:194-8. 2003..Several of these techniques are currently under investigation in large clinical trials. These trials will definitely have an impact on the development of surgical treatment of patients with heart failure...
- Passive ventricular constraintJohn M Power
Baker Medical Research Institute, P O Box 6492, St Kilda Road Central, Victoria 8008, Melbourne, Australia
Prog Biophys Mol Biol 82:197-206. 2003..Not only is passive ventricular constraint a very promising treatment modality for heart failure and DCM it should provide a useful research tool for the study of the role of ventricular dilatation in the progression of heart failure...
- Cardiac stem cellsSian Hughes
St George s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
J Pathol 197:468-78. 2002..achieved by the transplantation of exogenous cells into damaged myocardium, a procedure known as cellular cardiomyoplasty (CCM)...
- Myoblast transplantation on the beating heartEugene K W Sim
Department of Cardiac, Thoracic, and Vascular Surgery, National University Singapore
Int Surg 90:148-50. 2005Cellular cardiomyoplasty using various types of donor cells is now validated by a large number of experimental studies...
- Girdling effect of adynamic cardiomyoplasty in a model of dilated cardiomyopathyYoshio Ootaki
Department of Surgery, Division II, Kobe University School of Medicine, 7 5 2 Kusunoki cho, Chuou ku, Kobe, 650 0017, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 50:104-8. 2002The potential benefits of adynamic cardiomyoplasty remain unclear...
- Functional recovery of the native heart after cardiomyoplasty in sheep with heart failure: passive and dynamic effects of volume loadingKazuaki Shirota
Cardiac Technology Centre, Department of Cardiology, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 73:849-54. 2002Dynamic cardiomyoplasty (d-CMP) encourages reverse remodeling and improved contractility and stroke work (SW) efficiency of the failing native heart. This contrasts with passive cardiomyoplasty (p-CMP), which provides "passive girdling...
- Cellular myoplasty: what are we really trying to achieve?Robert C Gorman
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 123:582-3; author reply 583-5. 2002
- [Dynamic cardiomyoplasty]Y Paz
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Ramat Gan, Israel
Harefuah 141:85-8, 124. 2002..Therefore, the establishment of surgical alternatives is very important. Dynamic cardiomyoplasty is accepted as an alternative to heart transplantation...
- Skeletal muscle ventricle aortic counterpulsation: function during chronic heart failureBhavik G Patel
Department of Surgery, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 73:588-93. 2002..This study seeks to prove that the aortic counterpulsator model can function effectively in chronic heart failure...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor before cellsTodd K Rosengart
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:696. 2005
- Surgical management of heart failure: an overviewDavid Zeltsman
Section of Cardiac Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA
Annu Rev Med 53:383-91. 2002..hearts, such as left ventricular reduction (Batista procedure), endoventricular patch plasty (Dor procedure), cardiomyoplasty, and prosthetic external constraints are under clinical investigation...
- Surgical therapy for heart failureTomasz Timek
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 5:251-63. 2007..This article reviews the myriad of surgical options that are available to these patients, their benefits and shortcomings, as well as potential future directions...
- Uterine myometrium as a cell patch as an alternative graft for transplantation to infarcted cardiac myocardium: a preliminary studyS A Taheri
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, University at Buffalo and Kaleida Health, Buffalo, New York USA
Int J Artif Organs 31:62-7. 2008..We hypothesize that myometrial cell patch transplantation could be an alternative approach for the treatment of myocardial infarction...
- Effects of chronic cardiomyoplasty on ventricular remodeling in a goat model of chronic cardiac dilatation: part 2Hans G Kaulbach
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Bundes Krankenhaus, Koblenz, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 74:514-21. 2002..than direct improvement of pump function, has been suggested to be the main working mechanism of dynamic cardiomyoplasty (CMP)...
- Cardiomyoplasty: first clinical case with new cardiomyostimulatorValeri S Chekanov
Heart Care Associates, Inc Milwaukee Heart Institute at Aurora Sinai Medical Center Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201, USA
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 10:264-6. 2002Dynamic cardiomyoplasty was performed in a patient using a new cardio-myostimulator (LD-PACE II) designed to enable a novel stimulation regimen that utilizes a new range of stimulation options, including cessation during sleep...
- Surgical methods to reverse left ventricular remodeling in congestive heart failureOttavio Alfieri
Department of Cardiac Surgery, San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy
Am J Cardiol 91:81F-87F. 2003..artery bypass graft procedure, the correction of mitral regurgitation, diastolic support (from dynamic cardiomyoplasty to passive containment), and mechanical assist devices...
- Myoangiogenesis after cell patch cardiomyoplasty and omentopexy in a patient with ischemic cardiomyopathySyde A Taheri
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Buffalo and Kaleida Health Systems, Buffalo, New York, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 32:598-601. 2005..Omentopexy and cell patch cardiomyoplasty in conjunction with coronary artery bypass surgery may stimulate myogenesis and angiogenesis in avascular, ..
- Mesenchymal stem cells and the treatment of cardiac diseaseJose J Minguell
Laboratorio de Trasplante de Médula Osea, Clinica Las Condes, Lo Fontecilla 441, Las Condes, Santiago, Chile
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 231:39-49. 2006..Most attempts for cardiomyoplasty have considered the bone marrow as the source of the "repair stem cell(s)," assuming that the hematopoietic ..
- Treatment of heart failure with autologous skeletal myoblastsJuan C Chachques
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Pompidou and Broussais Hospitals, University of Paris, France
Herz 27:570-8. 2002..The recent progress in cellular and molecular biology allows the development of new therapies for heart failure...
- Experience in heart transplantation after dynamic cardiomyoplastyAkira Sezai
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Heart Center North Rhine Westphalia Bad Oeynhausen, Ruhr University of Bochum, Germany
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 8:319-22. 2002..heart transplantation due to gradual progression of heart failure four years and one month after dynamic cardiomyoplasty. This case reports a 61-year-old man who received drug therapy after being diagnosed as having idiopathic ..
- [Passive volume-reducing surgery in heart failure and dilated cardiomyopathy. Results from a pilot study account for careful optimism]Anders Franco-Cereceda
Thoraxkliniken, Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset Solna
Lakartidningen 102:2290-3. 2005..Further studies will delineate what patient population will best benefit from passive containment surgery using the CSD...
- Surgical treatment for chronic heart failureDavid V Jayakar
University of Chicago Hospitals, 5841 S Maryland Ave, MC 5040, Chicago, IL 60637 USA
Compr Ther 29:66-76. 2003..This article summarizes the most popular surgical treatment of heart failure with experiences from various institutes...
- Combined transplantation of skeletal myoblasts and angiopoietic progenitor cells reduces infarct size and apoptosis and improves cardiac function in chronic ischemic heart failureNikolaos Bonaros
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:1321-8. 2006Cellular cardiomyoplasty using skeletal myoblasts or angiopoietic progenitor cells offers a promising approach for the treatment of ischemic heart failure...
- [Differences between adipose-derived stem cells and mesenchymal stem cells in differentiation into cardiomyocytes]Duan zhen Zhang
Department of Congenital Heart Disease, The General Hospital of Shenyang Military Region, Shenyang 110016, China
Sheng Li Xue Bao 60:341-7. 2008..These results indicate that ASCs have advantages over MSCs in tissue content, homology, growth and differentiation rate, suggesting that ASCs are more suitable for cellular cardiomyoplasty than MSCs.
- Diagnostic approach and treatment strategy in tachycardia-induced cardiomyopathyYoung Hoon Jeong
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Clin Cardiol 31:172-8. 2008..Furthermore, clinical outcomes of rate versus rhythm control in TIC are unclear...
- Morphofunctional integration between skeletal myoblasts and adult cardiomyocytes in coculture is favored by direct cell-cell contacts and relaxin treatmentLucia Formigli
Dept of Anatomy, Univ of Florence, Viale Morgagni 85, I 50134 Florence, Italy
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 288:C795-804. 2005The success of cellular cardiomyoplasty, a novel therapy for the repair of postischemic myocardium, depends on the anatomical integration of the engrafted cells with the resident cardiomyocytes...
- Evidence for fusion between cardiac and skeletal muscle cellsHans Reinecke
Department of Pathology, University of Washington, Box 357470, HSB Room D 514 Seattle, Wash 98195 7470, USA
Circ Res 94:e56-60. 2004b>Cardiomyoplasty with skeletal myoblasts may benefit cardiac function after infarction. Recent reports indicate that adult stem cells can fuse with other cell types...
- Cardiac-bio-assists: biological approaches to support or repair cardiac muscleUgo Carraro
CNR Institute of Neuroscience, Unit for Neuromuscular Biology and Pathophysiology, Laboratory of Applied Myology, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Padua Medical School, Padua, Italy
Ital Heart J 4:152-62. 2003..the work hypotheses are in pre-clinical evaluation (skeletal muscle ventricle), others are under preliminary (cardiomyoplasty, myocardium reduction, implants of myoblasts derived from skeletal muscle satellite cells and implants of ..
- Gene transfer of connexin43 into skeletal muscleHans Reinecke
Department of Pathology, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195, USA
Hum Gene Ther 15:627-36. 2004Cellular cardiomyoplasty using skeletal myoblasts may be beneficial for infarct repair...
- Autologous bone marrow-derived progenitor cell myocardial delivery for recent myocardial infarction patients following early angioplasty: results from a pilot studyMaddury Jyotsna
Cardiology Department, Nizam s Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad, India
Cardiovasc Revasc Med 7:217-21. 2006Cellular cardiomyoplasty is a potential therapeutic approach to preventing left ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction and has shown encouraging results such as induction of neoangiogenesis and functional improvement of ..
- Exact relevance of bone marrow cells in the healing process after myocardial infarction: analysis with a murine model of bone marrow cell transplantationLaurent Barandon
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Montreal Heart Intsitute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can J Cardiol 21:563-8. 2005Cellular cardiomyoplasty has created new possibilities in cardiac regeneration. Several cell types can be used in the procedure, such as skeletal myoblasts and bone marrow cells...
- Autologous transplantation of arterial cells improves cardiac function in a rabbit model of infarcted myocardiumMehmet Tokac
Department of Cardiology, Selcuk University, Meram Faculty of Medicine, Konya, Turkey
Stem Cells Dev 19:927-34. 2010Cellular cardiomyoplasty is a promising approach for the treatment of severe heart failure. However, the question which cell line is the best to use is still a matter of debate...
- Autobionics: a new paradigm in regenerative medicine and surgeryHutan Ashrafian
Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College London at St Mary s Hospital, Praed Street, London, W2 1NY, UK
Regen Med 5:279-88. 2010..Examples include: dynamic cardiomyoplasty (artificial heart pump using skeletal muscle), the Ross procedure (pulmonary autograft), dynamic ..
- [Cardiomyoplasty. Experimental bases, operative technic, indications]J C Chachques
, , Paris
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 82:919-26. 1989Dynamic cardiomyoplasty aims at restoring ventricular contractility by means of a skeletal muscle sutured around the heart...
- Noncultured cell transplantation in an ovine model of right ventricular preparationNicolas Borenstein
IMM Recherche, Center for Experimentation and Applied Research, 42 Boulevard Jourdan, 75014 Paris, France
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:1119-27. 2005..The aim of this study was to explore whether myogenic cell transplantation could contribute to right ventricular function during pulmonary artery constriction in an ovine model...
- Comparison of different regimens of electrical stimulation applied to nonmobilized and newly mobilized latissimus dorsi muscleV S Chekanov
Sinai Samaritan Medical Center, Milwaukee Heart Project, WI 53201 0342, USA
J Card Surg 12:343-53. 1997..These results did not satisfy us that such a regimen would be useful for cardiac assistance immediately after cardiomyoplasty. The work-rest regimen at 30 CPM also gave poor results: CF decreased to 75 +/- 2% and baseline was restored ..
- Electrically stimulated rectus abdominis muscle flap to achieve enterostomal continence: development of a functional canine modelWayne K Stadelmann
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Department of Surgery, University of Louisville, KY, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:517-25. 2007..graciloplasty, and to augment cardiac ventricular function, as is commonly seen with dynamic latissimus cardiomyoplasty. In the present study, the authors describe a functional innovative island flap sphincter created from the ..
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty: improvement of left ventricular function correlates with the release of cardioactive cytokinesHenning Ebelt
Department of Medicine III, Martin Luther University, Halle, Germany
Stem Cells 25:236-44. 2007....
- Engraftment of engineered ES cell-derived cardiomyocytes but not BM cells restores contractile function to the infarcted myocardiumEugen Kolossov
Axiogenesis AG, 50931 Cologne, Germany
J Exp Med 203:2315-27. 2006Cellular cardiomyoplasty is an attractive option for the treatment of severe heart failure. It is, however, still unclear and controversial which is the most promising cell source...
- Endogenous cardiac stem cellsLucio Barile
Department of Experimental Medicine, Cenci Bolognetti Foundation, Pasteur Institute, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Prog Cardiovasc Dis 50:31-48. 2007..Currently, cellular cardiomyoplasty is actively explored as means of regenerating damaged myocardium using several different cell types...
- Naive rat amnion-derived cell transplantation improved left ventricular function and reduced myocardial scar of postinfarcted heartKazuro L Fujimoto
Department of Surgery, McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Cell Transplant 18:477-86. 2009..Our results suggest that naive ADCs are a potential cell source for cellular cardiomyoplasty.
- Myocardial Assistance by Grafting a New Bioartificial Upgraded Myocardium (MAGNUM trial): clinical feasibility studyJuan C Chachques
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Pompidou Hospital, Paris, France
Ann Thorac Surg 85:901-8. 2008..We evaluated the feasibility and safety of intrainfarct cell therapy associated with a cell-seeded collagen scaffold grafted onto infarcted ventricles...
- [Stem cell perspectives in myocardial infarctions]José Luis Aceves
División de Cirugía Cardiaca y Cardiología, Hematologia, Ecocardiografía y Medicina Nuclear del CMN 20 de Noviembre ISSSTE, Mexico, DF
Rev Invest Clin 57:156-62. 2005..The cellular cardiomyoplasty has emerged as an alternative treatment in the regeneration of infarted myocardial tissue...
- Design and features of the Acorn CorCap Cardiac Support Device: the concept of passive mechanical diastolic supportRobert G Walsh
Acorn Cardiovascular, Inc, 651 Campus Drive, St Paul, MN 55112, USA
Heart Fail Rev 10:101-7. 2005..Based on animal and clinical experience with active and passive cardiomyoplasty, a synthetic passive constraint was proposed as a means of reducing excessive wall stress, and thus assuaging ..
- Past, present, and future of long-term mechanical cardiac support in adultsStefan Christiansen
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Lubeck, Germany
J Card Surg 23:664-76. 2008..bypass grafting, cardiac valve surgery, defibrillator implantation, multisite pacing, dynamic and passive cardiomyoplasty, partial left ventriculectomy (PLV), Myosplint implantation (Myocor, Maple Grove, MN, USA), stem cell therapy,..
- Are adult cardiocytes still able to proliferate?B Swynghedauw
U572 INSERM, Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 96:1225-30. 2003..Nevertheless, these findings provide an important new basis for cell cardiomyoplasty. It is also possible to envisage stimulation of the production and activity of these new cells to compensate ..
- [Evaluation of passive cardiomyoplasty using left- and right-ventricular volume measurements by EBCT and MRI in patients with chronic congestive heart failure]A Lembcke
Institut fur Radiologie, Universitatsklinikum Charite, Campus Charite Mitte, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin
Rofo 175:1086-92. 2003To evaluate the efficacy of passive cardiomyoplasty with the determination of biventricular volumes, global systolic function as well as left-ventricular muscle mass.
- Mesenchymal progenitor cells differentiate into an endothelial phenotype, enhance vascular density, and improve heart function in a rat cellular cardiomyoplasty modelSiamak Davani
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie, Faculte de Medecine, 25000 Besancon, France
Circulation 108:II253-8. 2003Cellular cardiomyoplasty is a promising approach to improve postinfarcted cardiac function...
- Improving Pancreas/Islets Preservation HTS/CryoStorRobert Van Buskirk; Fiscal Year: 2006..Applications range from cellular cardiomyoplasty to the preservation of primary human hepatocytes...
- Percutaneous deliverable biomaterial for treating myocardial infarctionAdam M Kinsey; Fiscal Year: 2011..As an alternative to total heart transplantation, cellular cardiomyoplasty, or cell transplantation, has been explored for the treatment of myocardial infarction and heart failure;..
- Phase II: Percutaneous deliverable biomaterial for treating myocardial infarctionAdam M Kinsey; Fiscal Year: 2013..As an alternative to total heart transplantation, cellular cardiomyoplasty, or cell transplantation, has been explored for the treatment of MI and heart failure;however, more recently ..
- Cellular Cardiomyoplasty for Chronic Heart FailureJoshua M Hare; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Three-Dimensional Cardiac Gel Bioreactor for Functioning Cardiomyocyte Induction Kimimasa Tobita; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies support our long term goal of implementing autologous cellular cardiomyoplasty to repair congenital and acquired heart diseases...
- REGIONAL MECHANICS OF LEFT VENTRICULAR ANEURYSMJulius Guccione; Fiscal Year: 1999..2) provide the means to objectively evaluate modifications of conventional aneurysm repair and to develop new operations, possibly based on modifications of cardiomyoplasty or on "heart patches" produced from myocardial tissue cultures.
- Improved Preservation of Suspended CellsRobert Van Buskirk; Fiscal Year: 2003..of HTS-FRS preservation of suspended human myoblasts used in BioHeart Inc's successful European cellular cardiomyoplasty trials, coupled with CryoStor's apparent superiority in cryopreserving ATCC human hybridomas, experiments ..
- Cellular Cardiomyoplasty in Vitro: Host-Donor Cell InteractionsNenad Bursac; Fiscal Year: 2007..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Implantation of exogenous donor cells into the heart (cellular cardiomyoplasty) is an emerging methodology for the treatment of post-ischemic ventricular remodeling...
- Autologous Cellular Therapy for Ventricular DysfunctionRobert Kormos; Fiscal Year: 2007..One unique patient population that would clearly benefit from cellular cardiomyoplasty are patients with severe ventricular dysfunction requiring mechanical ventricular assist devices (VADs)...
- Hypothermic Storage and Cryopreservation of CorneasRobert Van Buskirk; Fiscal Year: 2004..BioLife's solutions are now a part of BioHeart's FDA-approved IND in cellular cardiomyoplasty - a successful international program in cardiac Regenerative Medicine made possible, in part, by BioLife's ..
- HYPOTHERMIC AND CRYOPRESERVATION OF HUMAN BLOOD VESSELSRobert Van Buskirk; Fiscal Year: 2005..BioLife's solutions are now a part of BioHeart's FDA-approved IND in cellular cardiomyoplasty - a successful international program in cardiac Regenerative Medicine made possible, in part, by BioLife's ..
- Mechanical Stimulation of 2-and 3-d Myoblast CultureGEORGE TRUSKEY; Fiscal Year: 2006..capability of myoblasts makes them suitable candidates for tissue engineering applications such from cellular cardiomyoplasty and patches to replace damaged skeletal or cardiac tissue...
- Improving cancer sample preservation through analyzing cell stress pathwaysJ Baust; Fiscal Year: 2007..solutions are used as the shipping/storage solutions in Regenerative Medicine applications such as cellular cardiomyoplasty. The fully defined, serum-free CryoStor platform is designed for cell and tissue storage in liquid nitrogen, ..
- HTS/CryoStor-Liver- Is Viability Linked to Function?Robert Van Buskirk; Fiscal Year: 2004..BioLife's solutions are now FDA-approved as part of BioHea_'s IND in cellular cardiomyoplasty. This success captured the interest of Tissue Transformation Technologies (T3), which plans cell therapy ..
- Cellular Cardiomyoplasty for Acute and Chronic IschemicEduardo Marban; Fiscal Year: 2009This Specialized Center for Cell Therapeutics proposal aims to develop cellular cardiomyoplasty for the treatment of ischemic heart disease, both post-myocardial infarction left ventricular dysfunction as well as chronic ischemic ..
- DYNAMIC CARDIOMYOPLASTYWILLIAM SANTAMORE; Fiscal Year: 2001b>Cardiomyoplasty (CMP), a surgical treatment for heart failure, has several advantages: skeletal muscle requires no external power source; each patient serves as his/her "donor;" and rejection is not a problem...
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Ventricular RemodelingJoshua Hare; Fiscal Year: 2004..Currently no therapy directly addresses repair or replacement of damaged myocardium. Cellular cardiomyoplasty, the technique of transplanting progenitor cells into the heart, represents a highly promising new treatment ..
- PKC AND ISCHEMIC PRECONDITIONING OF MUSCLEClaudio Maldonado; Fiscal Year: 2002..a highly trained scientist in the area of ischemic preconditioning (PC) of skeletal muscle to improve dynamic cardiomyoplasty. Ischemic PC is the phenomenon whereby brief ischemic episodes render skeletal muscle resistant to subsequent ..
- INFARCT NEOVASCULARIZATION TO IMPROVE STEM CELL ENGRAFTMENTJonathan McCue; Fiscal Year: 2006..and transdifferentiation, a significant obstacle thus far in the rapidly progressing field of cellular cardiomyoplasty. An additional beneficial readout of this experiment is a functional and histologic comparison of multiple ..
- Binge Drinking & Cigarette Smoking: A Rodent ModelMariann Piano; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SAFETY AND EFFICACY OF CELLULAR CARDIOMYOPLASTYDORIS TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TURNING SCAR INTO VIABLE MYOCARDIUMRace Kao; Fiscal Year: 2004..Success of this project may provide innovative approaches to treat myocardial infarction or cardio-myopathies associated with muscle cell loss and interstitial fibrosis. ..
- Imaging Stem Cell Grafted in the Infarcted MyocardiumRong Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., do the grafted cells contribute to the improvement of contractile function or they primarily provide structural support to "stiffen" the infarcted heart wall, thus reduce the wall-stress? ..
- Assessment of Stem Cell Therapy of Infarcted MyocardiumRong Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, developing these imaging techniques on a murine myocardial infarct model allows the utilization of transgenic or knockout mouse models in the future. ..
- DEVELOPING CELLULAR CARDIOMYOPLASTY FOR INJURED HEARTDORIS TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2001..Treatment options for end-stage CHF are even more limited. A new therapeutic option in development, cellular cardiomyoplasty (CCM), or transplantation of autologous primary skeletal muscle cells into the myocardium, offers potential ..
- AUGMENTING MYOCARDIAL REGENERATION THROUGH ANGIOGENESISDORIS TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2003..Adapted from Applicant's Abstract): A potential role for skeletal myoblast transplantation (cellular cardiomyoplasty) in augmenting myocardial performance in disease states is established...