ambulatory surgical procedures
Summary: Surgery performed on an outpatient basis. It may be hospital-based or performed in an office or surgicenter.
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- Delayed discharge and acceptability of ambulatory surgery in adult outpatients receiving general anesthesiaGotaro Shirakami
Day Surgery Unit, Kyoto University Hospital, 54 Shogoin Kawahara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Anesth 19:93-101. 2005..The aims of this study were to document factors affecting delay in discharge, recovery profiles, and patient acceptability in adult outpatients...
- Microlumbar discectomy. Is it safe as an outpatient procedure?F Zahrawi
Cleveland Orthopedic Center, Willoughby, Ohio
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:1070-4. 1994..This study examines the long-term follow up and satisfaction level of patients who underwent microlumbar discectomy as an outpatient procedure...
- Effects of payment incentives, hospital ownership and competition on hospitalization decisions for ambulatory surgical proceduresSudha Xirasagar
University of South Carolina, Department of Health Services Policy and Management, Columbia, SC, USA
Health Policy 76:26-37. 2006....
- The safety of instrumented outpatient anterior cervical discectomy and fusionAlan T Villavicencio
Boulder Neurosurgical Associates, 1155 Alpine Ave, Suite 320 Boulder, CO 80304, USA
Spine J 7:148-53. 2007..Reasons for this wide variation are manifold, but the safety of an instrumented ACDF in the setting of a hostile medical-legal climate is most likely the primary concern influencing such a discrepancy...
- An analysis of factors influencing postanesthesia recovery after pediatric ambulatory tonsillectomy and adenoidectomyAlice A Edler
Department of Anesthesia, Lucile Packard Children s Hospital, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Anesth Analg 104:784-9. 2007..Many factors contribute to prolonged length of stay (LOS) for pediatric patients in the postanesthesia care unit (PACU). We designed this prospective study to identify the pre- and postoperative factors that prolong LOS...
- Short-stay thyroid surgeryA Sahai
Academic Department of Surgery, Basildon Hospital, Nether Mayne, Basildon SS16 1LN, UK
Br J Surg 92:58-9. 2005
- Effect of single-dose dexmedetomidine on emergence agitation and recovery profiles after sevoflurane anesthesia in pediatric ambulatory surgeryMasami Sato
Department of Anesthesia, Kyoto University Hospital, 54 Shogoin Kawahara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Anesth 24:675-82. 2010..To study the effects of dexmedetomidine (DEX), a selective α(2)-adrenoreceptor agonist, on emergence agitation (EA), recovery profiles, and parents' satisfaction after sevoflurane anesthesia in pediatric ambulatory surgery...
- Current indications for laparoscopy in day-case surgeryE Cassinotti
Minimally Invasive Surgery Research Center, Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Insubria, Varese 21100, Italy
Int J Surg 6:S93-6. 2008..Patients' selection and hospital organization seem to be mandatory in order to obtain successful results...
- Use of herbal medicines in ambulatory surgical patientsS Crowe
Anaesthesia 57:203-4. 2002
- Day surgery visits for dental problemsCarlos Quiñonez
Community Dental Health Services Research Unit, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, 124 Edward Street, Toronto, ON M5G 1G6, Canada
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 37:562-7. 2009..To fill an information gap for dental care policy stakeholders in Canada, this pilot study explored the nature of day surgery (DS) visits for dental problems in Ontario, the country's largest province...
- Outpatient surgery performed in an ambulatory surgery center versus a hospital: comparison of perioperative time intervalsTerrence L Trentman
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic Arizona, Phoenix, AZ, USA
Am J Surg 200:64-7. 2010..This change allowed a comparison of perioperative time intervals for patients undergoing these procedures at an outpatient facility versus a hospital...
- Office-based sutureless transconjunctival pars plana vitrectomyGeorge F Hilton
University of California Medical School, San Francisco, CA, USA
Retina 22:725-32. 2002..This is a preliminary report to describe our technique of office-based vitrectomy (OVIT) and to report the incidence of complications over a 6-year period...
- Day case oral surgery in pediatric patients during the year 2000 in the University of Barcelona Dental Clinic (Spain)Silvia Pérez-García
Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 10:221-30. 2005....
- Epidemiology of ambulatory anesthesia for children in the United States: 2006 and 1996Jennifer A Rabbitts
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Anesth Analg 111:1011-5. 2010..Our primary aim in this study was to quantify the number of ambulatory anesthetics for children that occur annually and to study the change in utilization of pediatric anesthetic care over a decade...
- Predictive factors for unanticipated admissions after ambulatory laparoscopic cholecystectomyH Lau
Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Surg 136:1150-3. 2001..Analysis of the causes of unanticipated admission after ambulatory laparoscopic cholecystectomy may permit the identification of predictive clinical factors for postoperative admission...
- A prospective study of ambulatory laparoscopic cholecystectomy: training economic, and patient benefitsP K Jain
Division of Upper Gastrointestinal and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Hull Royal Infirmary, Anlaby Road, Hull HU3 2JZ, United Kingdom
Surg Endosc 19:1082-5. 2005..We report our 5-year experience of ALC with emphasis on its appropriateness for higher surgical training...
- Propofol and halothane versus sevoflurane in paediatric day-case surgery: induction and recovery characteristicsJ K Moore
Wirral Hospital Trust, Cheshire CH49 5PE, UK
Br J Anaesth 90:461-6. 2003..The aim of this study was to compare the induction and recovery characteristics associated with propofol induction and halothane maintenance with sevoflurane anaesthesia in paediatric day surgery...
- One-day thyroid surgery: retrospective analysis of safety and patient satisfaction on a consecutive series of 1,571 cases over a three-year periodG Materazzi
Dipartimento di Chirurgia, Universita di Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Eur Surg Res 39:182-8. 2007..Postoperative recovery mean score by PSR scale resulted in 85.14% (0-100%). Our results confirm that the one-day surgery model is safe, effective, and highly agreeable in patients undergoing surgery for thyroid disease...
- High risk patients in day surgeryG Bettelli
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, IRCCS INRCA, Ancona, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 75:259-68. 2009..Therefore, only after evaluating their own experience and results are DS centers allowed to decide whether or not to treat a challenging patient as an outpatient...
- Day surgery: how far can we go and are there still any limits?Nusrath Qadir
University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent, UK
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 20:503-7. 2007..As previous restrictions are regularly swept away, it is reasonable to ask where the new limits are and whether there are still any absolute contraindications to day surgery...
- Thyroidectomy using monitored local or conventional general anesthesia: an analysis of outpatient surgery, outcome and cost in 1,194 consecutive casesKathryn Spanknebel
Division of General Surgery, The New York Thyroid Center, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, 177 Fort Washington Avenue, MHB 7SK, New York, NY 10032, USA
World J Surg 30:813-24. 2006..Critical appraisal of safety, feasibility, and economic impact of thyroidectomy procedures using local (LA) or general anesthesia (GA) is performed...
- Does the risk of compressive hematoma after thyroidectomy authorize 1-day surgery?Pierre Leyre
Department of Endocrine Surgery, Jean Bernard Hospital, Poitiers University, 86021, Poitiers, France
Langenbecks Arch Surg 393:733-7. 2008..The aim of this study was to search for risk factors, in particular the use of anticoagulants or antiplatelet medication, and to see if the delay of hematoma formation would require 1-day surgery performed in a careful manner...
- Outpatient mastectomy and breast reconstructive surgeryJohn Bian
HSR and D, Atlanta VA Medical Center, 1670 Clairmont Road, Decatur, Georgia 30033, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 15:1032-9. 2008..Outpatient mastectomy, which could lower use of breast reconstruction, may raise concerns about whether patients receive adequate post-mastectomy care...
- Day care surgeryP E Jarrett
Department of Surgery, Kingston Hospital, NHS Trust, Galsworthy Road, Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey KT2 7QB, UK
Eur J Anaesthesiol Suppl 23:32-5. 2001..Consolidation and development of best management practices are necessary for sustained day surgery development...
- Surgeon volume as a predictor of outcomes in inpatient and outpatient endocrine surgeryAlexandra I Stavrakis
Endocrine Surgical Unit and Center for Surgical Outcomes and Quality, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
Surgery 142:887-99; discussion 887-99. 2007..We examined the effect of surgeon volume on clinical and economic outcomes for thyroid, parathyroid, and adrenal surgery across inpatient and outpatient settings...
- [Retrospective study of patients who undergo pacemaker implantation in short-stay ambulatory surgery. Long-term follow-up and cost analysis]Sergio Villalba
Unidad de Arritmias, Servicio de Cardiologia, Consorcio Hospital General Universitario de Valencia, Spain
Rev Esp Cardiol 57:234-40. 2004..The aim of this study was to analyze data concerning mortality, morbidity, the number of re-admissions, complications, and cost per patient after pacemaker implantation, in groups of patients with different postoperative follow-up regimens...
- Outpatient mastectomy: clinical, payer, and geographic influencesC Case
Department of Internal Medicine, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA
Health Serv Res 36:869-84. 2001..Although clinical characteristics remain important, the state in which a woman receives care and whether she has an HMO payer are strong determinants of whether she receives an outpatient CMAS...
- Induction, recovery, and safety characteristics of sevoflurane in children undergoing ambulatory surgery. A comparison with halothaneJ Lerman
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anesthesiology 84:1332-40. 1996....
- Outpatient thyroidectomy is safe and reasonable: experience with more than 1,000 planned outpatient proceduresSamuel K Snyder
Division of General Surgery, Scott and White Clinic Texas A and M Health Science Center, Temple, TX, USA
J Am Coll Surg 210:575-82, 582-4. 2010..Thyroidectomy has traditionally been performed as an inpatient hospital procedure, but low risk and high patient tolerance make it acceptable as an outpatient procedure...
- Spillover effects of state mandated benefit laws: the case of outpatient breast cancer surgeryJohn Bian
Health Services Research and Development, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Inquiry 46:433-47. 2009..Such a spillover effect may diminish the expected impact of federal coverage laws for inpatient breast cancer surgery, which have been proposed to achieve similar ends...
- Outpatient thyroidectomy: experience in over 200 patientsMelanie W Seybt
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia, USA
Laryngoscope 120:959-63. 2010..An earlier favorable experience with outpatient surgery for a limited number of patients prompted our objective of an expanded evaluation of this practice...
- Same-day thyroidectomy: a review of practice patterns and outcomes for 1,168 procedures in New York StateCharles T Tuggle
Division of Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 18:1035-40. 2011..There has been a shift of procedures from the inpatient to the outpatient setting. Same-day thyroidectomy (SDT) has been reported in high-volume single-institution series, but few studies have evaluated its widespread use...
- Management of patients in fast track surgeryD W Wilmore
Laboratories for Surgical Metabolism and Nutrition, Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
BMJ 322:473-6. 2001
- Day care surgery for Dupuytren's contractureR H Robins
Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, UK
J Hand Surg Br 18:494-8. 1993..Although demanding on Consultant surgical time, this policy offers a considerable saving in hospital resources...
- Safety of outpatient tonsillectomy in children: a review of 6 years in a tertiary hospital experienceJose Granell
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, 12 de Octubre Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 131:383-7. 2004..We present our experience with outpatient tonsillectomy in children and critically review safety to support the outpatient policy...
- Patient satisfaction following day surgeryPaulo Lemos
Department of Anesthesia, Hospital Geral de Santo Antonio, 4099 001 Porto, Portugal
J Clin Anesth 21:200-5. 2009..To evaluate patient satisfaction at discharge and 30 days after day surgery, and to identify predictive factors of patient satisfaction...
- Outpatient thyroid surgery: should patients be discharged on the day of their procedures?Daniel C Trottier
University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont
Can J Surg 52:182-6. 2009..We sought to assess the safety and feasibility of outpatient thyroid surgery (OTS) at an ambulatory site affiliated with a teaching hospital...
- Thirty percent of patients have moderate to severe pain 24 hr after ambulatory surgery: a survey of 5,703 patientsBrid McGrath
Department of Anesthesia, EC 2 046, Toronto Western Hospital, 399 Bathurst St, Toronto, Ontario M5T 2S8, Canada
Can J Anaesth 51:886-91. 2004..We investigated the severity of pain at 24 hr postoperatively and determined the most painful procedures. The need for further medical advice and clarity of postoperative analgesia instructions were also studied...
- Day care surgery for advanced Dupuytren's contractureL B Ebskov
Section of Hand Surgery, Gentofte Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Hand Surg Br 22:191-2. 1997....
- Inpatient hospital admission and death after outpatient surgery in elderly patients: importance of patient and system characteristics and location of careLee A Fleisher
Department of Anesthesiology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Arch Surg 139:67-72. 2004..Surgery at different outpatient care locations in the higher-risk elderly (age >65 years) population is associated with similar rates of inpatient hospital admission and death...
- Factors determining length of stay of surgical day-case patientsA Junger
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 18:314-21. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: In day-case surgery, the predictors of prolonged stay in the day-care unit and unplanned Hospital admission are mainly related to the surgical procedure...
- Day-case laparoscopic Nissen fundoplicationM E Bailey
Minimal Access Therapy Training Unit, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford GU7 5XX, UK
Br J Surg 90:560-2. 2003..The aim was to assess the acceptability and safety of day-case laparoscopic fundoplication for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD)...
- Day-case laparoscopic hernia repairD S Evans
Department of Surgery, Royal Shrewsbury Hospital National Health Service Trust, UK
Br J Surg 83:1361-3. 1996..Seroma was the commonest minor complication and occurred in 7 per cent of patients. More than 35 per cent of patients needed no postoperative analgesia. To date there has been one recurrence (follow-up range 2-18 months)...
- Evidence-based medicine in day surgeryAnil Gupta
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 20:520-5. 2007..To present the evidence available for the management of pain, for the prevention of nausea and vomiting, and for the best anaesthetic technique during ambulatory surgery...
- A comparison of regional versus general anesthesia for ambulatory anesthesia: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsSpencer S Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98111, USA
Anesth Analg 101:1634-42. 2005..Other factors, such as unsuitable discharge criteria and limitations of meta-analysis, may explain this discrepancy...
- Outpatient laparoscopic cholecystectomy in Hong Kong Chinese -- an outcome analysisKenneth Siu Ho Chok
Department of Surgery, University of Hong Kong Medical Centre, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
Asian J Surg 27:313-6. 2004..This retrospective study evaluated the feasibility, safety and patient acceptance of outpatient LC in Hong Kong Chinese patients...
- Contemporary outcomes of ambulatory laparoscopic cholecystectomy in a major teaching hospitalHung Lau
Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
World J Surg 26:1117-21. 2002..Postoperative nausea and vomiting was the commonest reason for unanticipated admission after operation, and retained stones was the most frequent postoperative morbidity necessitating readmission...
- Outpatient laparoscopic pyeloplastyMauricio Rubinstein
Section of Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery, Glickman Urological Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Urology 66:41-3; discussion 43-4. 2005..To assess the feasibility of ambulatory laparoscopic pyeloplasty. Laparoscopic pyeloplasty aims to reproduce the excellent functional outcomes of open pyeloplasty while diminishing procedural morbidity...
- Trends in day surgery ratesPaul Aylin
Dr Foster Unit, Imperial College
BMJ 331:803. 2005
- A one-stop carpal tunnel clinicM J Reid
Department of Orthopaedics, Kent and Sussex Hospital, Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 91:301-4. 2009..We evaluated the clinic in order to assess whether it led to reduced waiting times whilst maintaining good clinical outcome and patient satisfaction...
- Pain management in ambulatory surgeryDamon Kamming
University College Hospitals NHS Trust in London, United Kingdom
J Perianesth Nurs 19:174-82. 2004..Patient follow-up by telephone questionnaire will confirm those surgical procedures that result in mild or moderate-to-severe postoperative pain and the effectiveness of treatment plans...
- Outpatient total laparoscopic hysterectomyJohn Thiel
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 10:481-3. 2003..To assess the safety of and patient satisfaction with total laparoscopic hysterectomy as an outpatient procedure...
- Tubal sterilization in the United States, 1994-1996A P MacKay
Office of Analysis, Epidemiology, and Health Promotion, National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, MD, USA
Fam Plann Perspect 33:161-5. 2001..Continued surveillance of both inpatient and outpatient procedures is necessary to monitor the role of tubal sterilization in contraceptive practice...
- Feasibility and safety of day surgery laparoscopic cholecystectomy in a university hospital using a standard clinical pathwayS K Chang
Department of Surgery, National University Hospital, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119074
Singapore Med J 49:397-9. 2008..In recent years, there has been a trend towards outpatient cholecystectomy. The aim of our study was to report on our experience with day surgery laparoscopic cholecystectomy and to assess its feasibility and safety...
- [Paediatric one-stop surgery: a series of 75 cases]P Lopez Alvarez-Buhilla
Servicio de Cirugia Infantil, Hospital de Cruces, Barakaldo, Bizkaia, Espana
Rev Calid Asist 24:239-44. 2009..Ensuring a close relationship between Paediatric Surgeons and Primary Care Paediatricians is paramount...
- Is outpatient laparoscopic cholecystectomy safe and cost-effective? A model to study transition of careL A Fleisher
Department of Anesthesiology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Anesthesiology 90:1746-55. 1999..The aim of the current trial was to determine the safety and cost savings of performing laparoscopic cholecystectomy in an outpatient setting using a "mock" outpatient setting...
- Safety, feasibility, and costs of outpatient laparoscopic extraperitoneal aortic nodal dissection for locally advanced cervical carcinomaTodd Tillmanns
The West Clinic Center for Gynecologic Oncology, 100 North Humphreys Boulevard, Memphis, TN 38120, USA
Gynecol Oncol 106:370-4. 2007..To report on the safety, feasibility, and costs of outpatient laparoscopic extraperitoneal aortic lymph node dissection (LEPSS) for locally advanced cervical carcinoma...
- Feasibility and safety of day care laparoscopic cholecystectomy in a developing countryS Bal
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Postgrad Med J 79:284-8. 2003..Because of differences in the quality of health care delivery, western guidelines for day care surgery cannot be universally applied to developing countries...
- A prospective evaluation of the incidence of complications associated with Mohs micrographic surgeryJonathan L Cook
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3915, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Arch Dermatol 139:143-52. 2003....
- Oral misoprostol before office endometrial biopsyJack F Perrone
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130, USA
Obstet Gynecol 99:439-44. 2002..To evaluate oral misoprostol use before office endometrial biopsy...
- The efficacy of celecoxib premedication on postoperative pain and recovery times after ambulatory surgery: a dose-ranging studyAlejandro Recart
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75390 9068, USA
Anesth Analg 96:1631-5, table of contents. 2003..We conclude that oral premedication with celecoxib 400 mg was more effective than 200 mg in reducing severe postoperative pain and the need for rescue analgesic medication in the postoperative period...
- [Improving communication between levels of health care: direct referral of patients to a one-stop service for major outpatient surgery]M T Cerdán Carbonero
Area Sanitaria 7 de Atención Primaria, Madrid, Spain
Aten Primaria 35:283-7. 2005....
- 'One-stop' inguinal hernia surgery--day-case referral, diagnosis and treatmentS Putnis
Department of General Surgery, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 86:425-7. 2004..Patients with unilateral inguinal hernias are conventionally seen at an out-patient appointment before being placed on a waiting list for surgery. Many patients are also required to attend a pre-assessment clinic prior to admission...
- Routine day-case laparoscopic cholecystectomyP C Leeder
Department of Surgery, Royal Berkshire Hospital, London Road, Reading RG1 5AN, UK
Br J Surg 91:312-6. 2004..A prospective study was carried out to assess the feasibility of performing true day-case laparoscopic surgery in a district general hospital...
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy as a day surgery procedure: implementation and audit of 136 consecutive cases in a university hospitalHenri Vuilleumier
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, 1011, Lausanne CHUV, Switzerland
World J Surg 28:737-40. 2004..These results were achieved by using selection criteria that considered not only the surgical pathology but also the individual and by using appropriate techniques and planned postoperative analgesia...
- Anterior cervical decompression and fusion with plate fixation as an outpatient procedureJonathan R Stieber
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Monmouth Medical Center, 300 Second Ave, Long Branch, NJ 07740, USA
Spine J 5:503-7. 2005..Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) with plate fixation has not, to our knowledge, been described as an outpatient procedure...
- Economics of nerve block pain management after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: potential hospital cost savings via associated postanesthesia care unit bypass and same-day dischargeBrian A Williams
Same Day Surgical Services, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania 15203, USA
Anesthesiology 100:697-706. 2004..In this study, the authors examine the associations of nerve block analgesia for these patients and its associated reductions in PACU use, hospital admission, and hospital costs...
- A comparison of infraclavicular nerve block versus general anesthesia for hand and wrist day-case surgeriesAdmir Hadzic
Department of Anesthesiology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, New York 10025, USA
Anesthesiology 101:127-32. 2004..The authors hypothesized that infraclavicular brachial plexus block (INB) performed with a short-acting local anesthetic would result in shorter time to discharge home as compared with "fast-track" GA...
- The feasibility, success and patient satisfaction associated with outpatient hysteroscopic sterilisationD Sinha
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Birmingham Women s Hospital, Birmingham, UK
BJOG 114:676-83. 2007..To determine the feasibility and patient satisfaction of female sterilisation using the Essure system in an outpatient hysteroscopy clinic without conscious sedation or general anaesthesia...
- Attitudes towards day-case surgery in Hong Kong Chinese patientsY C Lee
Department of Anaesthesiology and Operating Services, Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital, 11 Chuen On Road, Tai Po, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 13:298-303. 2007..To evaluate attitudes of Chinese patients towards day-case surgery...
- Outpatient laparoscopic cholecystectomy: home visit versus telephone follow-upW M Fallis
Faculty of Nursing, University of Manitoba, Department of Research and Evaluation, Victoria General Hospital, Winnipeg
Can J Surg 44:39-44. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Telephone contact is an acceptable method of follow-up for patients who have undergone outpatient laparoscopic cholecystectomy. The call should be made later in the evening on the day of operation or the next morning...
- Outpatient pacemaker procedures in orally anticoagulated patientsD J Goldstein
Department of Surgery, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, USA
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 21:1730-4. 1998....
- Pain as a factor complicating recovery and discharge after ambulatory surgeryD Janet Pavlin
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Washington, 1959 NE Pacific, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Anesth Analg 95:627-34, table of contents. 2002..001). We conclude that improvements in pain therapy are warranted to improve patient comfort and to expedite recovery...
- Day surgery anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: Sheffield experiencesA Kumar
Department of Orthopaedics, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, S57AU, UK
Knee 8:25-7. 2001..Cost analysis showed that day surgery ACL reconstruction was cost effective. The average saving per patient was in the range of 20-25% when compared to inpatient ACL reconstruction...
- Outpatient anterior cervical discectomy and fusionMark Erickson
Nellis Air Force Base, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 36:429-32. 2007..Eleven (19.6%) of the 56 patients did not respond to a satisfaction questionnaire. Outpatient ACDF has high patient satisfaction but does not compromise patient safety...
- Outpatient anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: an analysis of charges and perioperative complicationsA R Curran
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill, USA
Am J Knee Surg 14:145-51. 2001..Compared to our initial inpatient study (1988-1993), significant charge reductions were maintained. This study demonstrated a low complication rate and high patient subjective satisfaction level...
- A randomized trial of outpatient hysteroscopy with and without intrauterine anesthesiaNadia Kabli
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 15:308-10. 2008..To evaluate the amount of pain during office hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy with and without intrauterine anesthesia...
- Comparison of self-administered vaginal misoprostol versus placebo for cervical ripening prior to operative hysteroscopy using a sequential trial designK S Oppegaard
Department of Gynaecology, Helse Finnmark, Klinikk Hammerfest, Hammerfest, Norway
BJOG 115:663, e1-9. 2008....
- Day surgery and thromboembolic complications: time for structured assessment and prophylaxisJouni Ahonen
Department on Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 20:535-9. 2007..This article provides an overview of studies on thromboembolic complications and thromboprophylaxis in outpatients. The aim is to evaluate the indications and practice of thromboprophylaxis in day surgery...
- Day case laparoscopic cholecystectomy is safe and feasible: a case controlled studyM A Rathore
Department of Surgery, Causeway Hospital, Newbridge Road, Coleraine BT52 1HS, Northern Ireland, UK
Int J Surg 5:255-9. 2007..Day case laparoscopic cholecystectomy (DC-LC) is being practised in the USA and at sporadic centres in the UK including our department. The aim was to evaluate the admission rate after DC-LC...
- Does self-administered vaginal misoprostol result in cervical ripening in postmenopausal women after 14 days of pre-treatment with estradiol? Trial protocol for a randomised, placebo-controlled sequential trialK S Oppegaard
Department of Gynaecology, Helse Finnmark, Klinikk Hammerfest, Hammerfest, Norway
BJOG 115:917-e10. 2008....
- Contemporary day surgery: patients' experience of discharge and recoveryJo Gilmartin
School of Healthcare Studies, Baines Wing, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
J Clin Nurs 16:1109-17. 2007..To explore and reveal patients' perceptions of discharge arrangements and recovery following day surgery...
- Day case haemorrhoidectomyA J G Miles
Department of General Surgery, Royal Hampshire County Hospital, Winchester, Hampshire, UK
Colorectal Dis 9:532-5. 2007..Day case haemorrhoidectomy in a District General Hospital. We have investigated the uptake and outcome of day case haemorrhoidectomy in a small district general hospital...
- Ambulatory surgery is safe and effective in radicular disc diseaseJ W Bookwalter
Oakland Neurosurgical Associates, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:526-30. 1994..Ninety percent of the patients were able to be discharged on the day of surgery. There was no significant morbidity related to the ambulatory approach. The authors also found a significant cost savings for third party reimbursers...
- Premedication with midazolam delays recovery after ambulatory sevoflurane anesthesia in childrenH Viitanen
Department of Surgery and Anaesthesia, Central Hospital of Seinajoki, Finland
Anesth Analg 89:75-9. 1999..At home, more children in Group P (30%) experienced disturbed sleep during the night compared with those in Group M (4%) (P = 0.007)...
- Factors contributing to a prolonged stay after ambulatory surgeryF Chung
Department of Anesthesia, Toronto Western Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anesth Analg 89:1352-9. 1999..Patients with CHF and those who underwent long procedures had a higher risk of a prolonged stay. Appropriate prevention and management of postoperative symptoms could significantly decrease the length of stay among patients receiving GA...
- A prospective randomized trial of day-stay only versus overnight-stay laparoscopic cholecystectomyP Hollington
Department of Surgery, Flinders Medical Centre, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Aust N Z J Surg 69:841-3. 1999..Although the feasibility of laparoscopic cholecystectomy performed as day surgery has been established, cost and recovery time have not previously been evaluated in a prospective comparative fashion...
- PACU bypass after outpatient knee surgery is associated with fewer unplanned hospital admissions but more phase II nursing interventionsBrian A Williams
Anesthesiology, Department of Same Day Surgical Services, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Anesthesiology 97:981-8. 2002..We report PACU bypass rates using these criteria, and the extent to which PACU bypass was associated with (1) required nursing interventions in the step-down recovery unit, and (2) successful same-day discharge...
- Ambulatory thyroid surgery: an audit of safety and outcomesC W D Chin
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, National University Hospital, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119074
Singapore Med J 48:720-4. 2007..Elective hemithyroidectomy is a common operation with a low complication rate. The aim of this study was to conduct an audit on the safety and efficacy of ambulatory hemithyroidectomy in carefully-selected patients...
- Randomized clinical trial of the effectiveness of emergency day surgery against standard inpatient treatmentP J Conaghan
Departments of General Surgery, Whittington Hospital and Population Science and Primary Care, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
Br J Surg 89:423-7. 2002..The aim of this study was to assess the feasibility of treating patients with minor and intermediate general surgical emergency conditions as day cases...
- Development of an appropriate list of surgical procedures of a specified maximum anesthetic complexity to be performed at a new ambulatory surgery facilityFranklin Dexter
Division of Management Consulting, Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Anesth Analg 95:78-82, table of contents. 2002....
- Advanced operative office hysteroscopy without anaesthesia: analysis of 501 cases treated with a 5 Fr. bipolar electrodeS Bettocchi
Department of General and Specialist Surgical Sciences, Section of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Bari, Italy
Hum Reprod 17:2435-8. 2002..The aim of this study was to evaluate treatment efficacy and patient acceptability of a new bipolar probe used during office hysteroscopic treatment of benign intrauterine pathologies...
- Is same-day discharge suitable following rigid esophagoscopy? Findings in a series of 655 casesHaytham Kubba
Department of Otolaryngology, Crosshouse Hospital, Kilmarnock, Scotland
Ear Nose Throat J 82:33-6. 2003..This finding has important implications for surgeons who wish to perform rigid esophagoscopy on an outpatient basis...
- Umbilical hernia in adults: day case local anaesthetic repairV S Menon
Department of Surgery, Morriston Hospital, Swansea, SA6 6NL, United Kingdom
J Postgrad Med 49:132-3. 2003..During this period, irreducibility and strangulation are possible. We operate on adult patients under local anaesthesia (LA) as day cases to avoid this delay and describe our experience in this paper...
- Day-care laparoscopic appendectomiesD T Brosseuk
Cariboo Memorial Hospital, Williams Lake, BC
Can J Surg 42:138-42. 1999..To demonstrate the safety of laparoscopic appendectomy in a day-care setting and to compare patients selected for laparoscopic versus open appendectomy...
- Randomized controlled trial comparing Thermachoice III* in the outpatient versus daycase settingFiona Marsh
Academic Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Fertil Steril 87:642-50. 2007..To evaluate outpatient versus daycase Thermachoice III endometrial ablation...
- Local anesthesia for primary unilateral inguinal hernia in adultsTetsuji Fujita
Ann Surg 248:344-5; author reply 345. 2008
- Day case surgery: experience in a tertiary health institution in NigeriaS O Fadiora
Departments of Surgery, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 26:24-7. 2007..Previous studies on day case surgery in Nigeria have focused mainly on the immediate peri-operative care of the patients within the service hospital...
- Pain prevention with intraoperative ketamine in outpatient children undergoing tonsillectomy or tonsillectomy and adenotomyOsman N Aydin
Anesthesiology and Reanimation Algology, Adnan Menderes University, Medical Faculty, Aydin, Turkey
J Clin Anesth 19:115-9. 2007..To evaluate the effectiveness of ketamine in the prevention of postoperative pain after tonsillectomy...
- Post-operative symptoms at home in children following day case surgeryAramide Folayemi Faponle
Dept Anaesthesia, Obafemi Awolowo Univ Teaching Hospital, Ile Ife, Nigeria
Middle East J Anaesthesiol 19:185-96. 2007..The study evaluated the postoperative symptoms at home. The parents also evaluated the instructions given in the hospital for care at home...
- Assessment of wound infiltration with bupivacaine in women undergoing day-case gynecological laparoscopyS Y Fong
Department of Anaesthesia, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women, Subiaco, Australia
Reg Anesth Pain Med 26:131-6. 2001..079). CONCLUSIONS: Wound infiltration with local anaesthetic did not significantly reduce pain or opioid requirement after gynecological laparoscopy...
- HOME CARE MANAGEMENT OF PEDIATRIC PAINKIMBERLY SUTTERS; Fiscal Year: 2003..Patients and parents in all pain management groups will have and end of study interview to describe their experiences with the program. ..
- Epidemiology of Female Pelvic Floor DisordersKristen Kjerulff; Fiscal Year: 2001..Describe ambulatory operative procedures used as treatment for female pelvic floor disorders in the NSAS, and 3.) Describe office-based visits for female pelvic floor disorders in the NAMCS and the NHAMCS. ..
- Portable Field Anesthesia MachineJOHN IZUCHUKWU; Fiscal Year: 2005..Preliminary results are promising. Tests will be conducted on optimized prototypes under simulated physiologic conditions that mimic field operational environments. ..
- Gamma Ray Spectroscopy for Dose Rate ConstantsRavinder Nath; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Psychological Influences on Postoperative RecoveryZeev Kain; Fiscal Year: 2007..The broad, longterm objectives of this research are the evaluation, development and implementation of preoperative interventions that will improve the postoperative behavioral and clinical recovery process. ..
- Interactive Multimedia Intervention to Improve Colonoscopy and Bowel Prep AdhereJOHN MATTHEW INADOMI; Fiscal Year: 2012..Although preparation quality is important for all persons, this intervention will be targeted to African Americans since they are at increased risk of non-adherence to the preparation. ..
- Surgical Site and Clostridium difficile Infections after Ambulatory SurgeryMargaret A Olsen; Fiscal Year: 2012..This study will provide significant new information to enhance patient safety and improve outcomes for patients undergoing common surgical procedures in ambulatory settings. ..
- Financial Incentives and Treatment of Medicare Patients with Spine ProblemsJean M Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2012..Moreover, such information will be highly relevant regarding the ongoing debate over how to control Medicare and other health care spending. ..
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers and Medicare Expenditures for Outpatient ProceduresBrent K Hollenbeck; Fiscal Year: 2013..In particular, findings from this study have potential relevance to several important policy initiatives, including anti-self-referral legislation and payment reform for surgical care. ..
- PHIS+: Augmenting the Pediatric Health Information System with Clinical DataRon Keren; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Comparisons of ASC Procedure Costs and PaymentsJean M Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2013..Such findings would also provide evidence to support mandating that ASCs submit annual cost reports to CMS. ..
- Improving Reporting of Race, Ethnicity, and Language in CaliforniaDAVID SCOTT ZINGMOND; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results can be used to more accurately identify and address potential health and healthcare disparities arising through issues related to race, ethnicity, and language. ..
- Predicting severe post-surgical pain using clinical risk factorsChristian C Apfel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Insights gained from this study on acute post-surgical pain will allow clinicians to address modifiable risk factors and direct the development of novel pain therapies towards better, more individualized patient care. ..
- Colonoscope Force MonitorArmen Sarvazyan; Fiscal Year: 2013..The aim of this project is to bring to clinical practice a technology and a device for quantitative characterization of examiner performance to improve training of endoscopists and establish best practices for performing colonoscopy. ..
- North Shore CCOPVincent P Vinciguerra; Fiscal Year: 2013..This observed decrease in the incidence and death rates from all cancers combined is highly encouraging. However, ongoing research is needed to improve our current methods of prevention, early detection, and treatment. ..
- Real-Time Stereotactic Mass Spectrometry Tissue Analysis for Intraoperative NeuroNATHALIE YR AGAR; Fiscal Year: 2010..The platform being developed for such a complex system can be further adapted to other surgical interventions t in need of highly specific guidance. ..
- Electronic Surveillance for Wound Infections after Ambulatory Pediatric SurgerySusan E Coffin; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Implementing Safe Practices for Prevention of Perioperative HypothermiaVICTORIA J M STEELMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..The knowledge gained through this study can be generalized to implementation of other safe practices, improving quality, safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of healthcare. ..
- Assessing Utility of a Kiosk Model Self Triage System in the Pediatric EmergencyMadhumita Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2012..In addition to its role in streamlining "front end operations" in an ED, the system could find similar use in any ambulatory care setting such as physician offices, ambulatory surgery centers, and urgent care centers. ..
- Propofol Microemulsions Pre-clinical InvestigationJEROME MODELL; Fiscal Year: 2004..to disperse lipophilic drugs using nanotechnology and into NanoMedex's business strategy wherein all nanoparticle constituents are currently off patent and previously intravenously infused into humans. ..
- A MULTIFUNCTIONAL SURGICAL SUPPORT SURFACEJames Price; Fiscal Year: 2001..Extended healthcare, including nursing homes, home and hospice care, rehabilitation hospitals, intensive care units, is another extensive market for pressure ulcer prevention. ..
- RESEARCH TO PRACTICE CONFERENCENaomi Kuznets; Fiscal Year: 2000..specific), and private organizations that fund health services research. ..
- Efficacy of Nurse Coaching to Aid Ambulatory Surgery Pt.Dorothy Jones; Fiscal Year: 2001..The proposed study builds upon the Principal Investigator's previous research and will provide empirical evidence for nurse-managed care during recovery at home from ambulatory surgery. ..
- Colonoscope Force MonitorArmen Sarvazyan; Fiscal Year: 2004..Significant commercial opportunity exists to provide an effective, low-cost method to define best practices in colonoscopy and to implement these practices as part of training, ongoing education and quality assurance. ..
- Cognitive Behavioral Interventions for IV Insertion PainAnn Jacobson; Fiscal Year: 2001..Findings from the study will contribute to the body of knowledge of cognitive strategies for pain management in acute care. ..
- Risks of Inaccurate or Incomplete Pre-operative Assessments in Freestanding ASCsNANCY KUPKA; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Outcomes After ACL Reconstruction: Femoral Nerve BlockBrian Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..The methods learned and the model developed herein will be the basis of future studies funded through the R01 mechanism. ..
- Dose-response of cranberry in women with recurrent UTIsLynn Stothers; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Psychosocial Intervention Program for HysterectomyAlison Caldwell Andrews; Fiscal Year: 2004..We hypothesize that women in the PPP group will have lower state anxiety and higher quality of sleep the evening before surgery than women in the SC group. Data will be analyzed using repeated measures analysis of covariance. ..
- Predicting Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis with Genetic and Clinical FactorsELIZABETH ANN contact COLEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, this study will accelerate nursing advancements to the "Science of Health". ..
- Regulation of SMAD4 and BMPR1A Expression in Juvenile PolyposisJames R Howe; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Financial Incentives and Variations in the Care of Medicare BeneficiariesBruce E Landon; Fiscal Year: 2010..Because patients will be clustered within physicians and physicians clustered within markets, we will use hierarchical analytic methods. ..
- Dental Coverage Transistions, Utilization and RetirementRICHARD MANSKI; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results obtained from this project will establish the independent effect of dental coverage on dental use and as a consequence provide important and timely information for policy makers. ..
- Phase 3 stem cell transplant for light chain amyloidosisMorie A Gertz; Fiscal Year: 2011..In addition, the analysis of clonal precursor B cells in the periphery and kinetics of amyloid formation of the monoclonal light chain will allow us to define and determine the mechanisms of disease progression and response to therapy. ..
- Improving control with Activity and NutritionAnne Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results will be immediately applicable to a majority of health plans and practices in the U.S. ..
- The Molecular Basis of Juvenile PolyposisJames Howe; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will also benefit JP patients by improving presymptomatic genetic testing, and identification of new therapeutic targets for polyp regression and cancer prevention in JP. ..
- Enhancing Infant Emotion Regulation: Two Holding MethodsMadalynn Neu; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- UW Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Training (RMI)Richard Deyo; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Economic, Social, and Psychological Burdens of ArthritisEdward Yelin; Fiscal Year: 2004..The conference will be one day in duration and will take place the day preceding the formal opening of the Annual Meeting of the American College of Rheumatology. ..
- Oral Care and Respiratory Pathogen ColonizationOzan Akca; Fiscal Year: 2004..Reducing respiratory pathogen colonization in the mouth could significantly reduce the morbidity and cost of VAP. ..
- The Impact of Outcomes on Transplant Center ChoiceDavid Howard; Fiscal Year: 2004..Using these estimates, we will simulate the impact of changes in survival rates on market shares for the groups of patients mentioned above. ..
- MEDICAID MGD CARE FOR CHILDREN WITH SPEC HLTH CARE NEEDSJEAN MITCHELL; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- EARLY OTITIS AND LITERACY AND ATTENTION AT 9 TO 11 YEARSJACK PARADISE; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- MD Group Characteristics and Quality of Care for CHDBruce Landon; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Volume-Outcomes in Incontinence SurgeryJennifer Anger; Fiscal Year: 2005..The primary outcome will be re-operation rates, repeat sling procedures (for failures), and other postoperative complications, stratified by high and low volume surgeons and hospitals. ..
- Functional Limitation, Arthritis, Depression, & RaceDorothy Dunlop; Fiscal Year: 2006..Hypotheses tested by this study will provide information that would motivate clinical and public health strategies to improve health care and reduce functional impairment among people with arthritis. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LONG-TERM OUTCOME OF BLOOD AND MARROW TRANSPLANTATIONJ Rizzo; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Individual Housing Data and Socioeconomic StatusYoung Juhn; Fiscal Year: 2007..Telephone interviews will be completed with 1,400 parents of children 1-18 years to obtain additional data. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Exercise to Relieve Cancer-Related Insomnia and FatigueElizabeth Coleman; Fiscal Year: 2007..As their physical activity and functional status improve, patients can continue to manage their activities of daily living and may be more likely to continue cancer treatment, thus increasing their survival chances. ..
- Acupuncture and Low Back Pain during PregnancyShu Ming Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Asthma and Invasive Pneumococcal DiseaseYoung Juhn; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- NIAMS Muiltidisciplinary Clinical Research Center in...Richard Deyo; Fiscal Year: 2006..It will require computer modeling, based on precedents in MR-PET scanning. We will determine if surgeons will accept the synthesized images as a replacement for CT-myelography for purposes of surgical planning. ..
- A Tailored Internet-based Preparation Program for Perioperative Anxiety and PainZeev N Kain; Fiscal Year: 2010..At the conclusion of this application, we will have preliminary data on which to base a follow-up full-scale evaluation of the efficacy and effectiveness of this program and potential moderators of its treatment effects. ..
- Elective Surgery as a Teachable Moment for Smoking CessationDavid Warner; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our overall goal is to develop effective tobacco use interventions for surgical patients; this project will be an important step in this process. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diabetes TrialNetJennifer Marks; Fiscal Year: 2007..If not prevented, a treatment effect that preserves beta-cell function in those who do develop diabetes will provide an important clinical benefit. ..
- Evidence-Based Rheumatology: Prevalence/Impact ArthritisEdward Yelin; Fiscal Year: 2005..The conference will be one day in duration and will take place on November 12, 2005, the day preceding the formal opening of the Annual Meeting of the American College of Rheumatology. ..