Genomes and Genes
atomic force microscopy
Summary: A type of scanning probe microscopy in which a probe systematically rides across the surface of a sample being scanned in a raster pattern. The vertical position is recorded as a spring attached to the probe rises and falls in response to peaks and valleys on the surface. These deflections produce a topographic map of the sample.
Publications365 found, 100 shown here
- WSXM: a software for scanning probe microscopy and a tool for nanotechnologyI Horcas
Nanotec Electrónica S L, Centro Empresarial Euronova 3, Ronda de Poniente 2, Edificio 2 1a Planta Oficina A, 28760 Tres Cantos, E 28049 Madrid, Spain
Rev Sci Instrum 78:013705. 2007..Finally, a detailed discussion of some relevant procedures of the software is carried out...
- Folding DNA to create nanoscale shapes and patternsPaul W K Rothemund
Departments of Computer Science and Computation and Neural Systems, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Nature 440:297-302. 2006..Finally, individual DNA structures can be programmed to form larger assemblies, including extended periodic lattices and a hexamer of triangles (which constitutes a 30-megadalton molecular complex)...
- Single-molecule force spectroscopy: optical tweezers, magnetic tweezers and atomic force microscopyKeir C Neuman
Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Building 50, 50 South Drive, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Methods 5:491-505. 2008..The most common force spectroscopy techniques are optical tweezers, magnetic tweezers and atomic force microscopy. Here we describe these techniques and illustrate them with examples highlighting current capabilities ..
- Subnanometer atomic force microscopy of peptide-mineral interactions links clustering and competition to acceleration and catastropheR W Friddle
Physical and Life Sciences Directorate, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA 94551, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:11-5. 2010..Here we report atomic force microscopy investigations using a system designed to maximize resolution while minimizing contact force...
- Static magnetic fields affect cell size, shape, orientation, and membrane surface of human glioblastoma cells, as demonstrated by electron, optic, and atomic force microscopyLaura Teodori
Unità di Biotecnologie, Sezione di Tossicologia e Scienze Biomediche, ENEA Centro Ricerche Casaccia, Via Anguillarese 301, 00060 Rome, Italy
Cytometry A 69:75-85. 2006..To investigate the effect of exposure to increasing doses of SMF on cell morphology, human glioblastoma cells were exposed to SMF ranging between 80 and 3,000 G (8 and 300 mT)...
- Dual architectural roles of HU: formation of flexible hinges and rigid filamentsJohn van Noort
Molecular Biophysics, Kavli Institute of Nanoscience, Delft University of Technology, NL 2628 CJ, Delft, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:6969-74. 2004..In this study we used magnetic tweezers and atomic force microscopy to quantify HU-induced DNA bending and condensation...
- Amyloid ion channels: a common structural link for protein-misfolding diseaseArjan Quist
Neuroscience Research Institute, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:10427-32. 2005..By using atomic force microscopy, circular dichroism, gel electrophoresis, and electrophysiological recordings, we show here that an array ..
- The mechanical properties of E. coli type 1 pili measured by atomic force microscopy techniquesEric Miller
Department of Molecular Microbiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Biophys J 91:3848-56. 2006..Here we used single-molecule atomic force microscopy to study the mechanical properties of type 1 pili...
- A robust DNA mechanical device controlled by hybridization topologyHao Yan
Department of Chemistry, New York University, New York, NY 10003, USA
Nature 415:62-5. 2002..We expect that a wide range of analogous yet distinct rotary devices can be created by changing the control strands and the device sequences to which they bind...
- Atomic force microscopy as a multifunctional molecular toolbox in nanobiotechnologyDaniel J Muller
Biotechnology Center, Technische Universitat Dresden, Tatzberg 47 51, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Nat Nanotechnol 3:261-9. 2008
- Glutaraldehyde modified mica: a new surface for atomic force microscopy of chromatinHongda Wang
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
Biophys J 83:3619-25. 2002..and aldehydes bind chromatin strongly enough to permit stable and reliable solution imaging by atomic force microscopy. The method is highly reproducible, uses very small amounts of material, and is successful even with very ..
- High speed atomic force microscopy visualizes processive movement of Trichoderma reesei cellobiohydrolase I on crystalline celluloseKiyohiko Igarashi
Department of Biomaterials Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
J Biol Chem 284:36186-90. 2009..This indicates that, besides the hydrolysis of glycosidic bonds, the loading of a cellulose chain into the active site tunnel is also essential for the enzyme movement...
- Replication of mitochondrial DNA occurs by strand displacement with alternative light-strand origins, not via a strand-coupled mechanismTimothy A Brown
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Chevy Chase, Maryland 20815, USA
Genes Dev 19:2466-76. 2005..We have examined mtDNA replicative intermediates from mouse liver using atomic force microscopy and 2D agarose gel electrophoresis in order to resolve this issue...
- Roughness of the plasma membrane as an independent morphological parameter to study RBCs: a quantitative atomic force microscopy investigationM Girasole
Istituto di Struttura della Materia CNR, Via Fosso del Cavaliere 100, 00133 Rome, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1768:1268-76. 2007....
- Researching into the cellular shape, volume and elasticity of mesenchymal stem cells, osteoblasts and osteosarcoma cells by atomic force microscopyDenitsa Docheva
Experimental Surgery and Regenerative Medicine, Department of Surgery, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
J Cell Mol Med 12:537-52. 2008..the topographic and morphometric features of RS and FC cells, human OBs and MG63 osteosarcoma cells by atomic force microscopy (AFM)...
- Probing mechanical properties of living cells by atomic force microscopy with blunted pyramidal cantilever tipsFelix Rico
Unitat de Biofisica i Bioenginyeria, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat de Barcelona IDIBAPS, Casanova 143, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys 72:021914. 2005b>Atomic force microscopy (AFM) allows the acquisition of high-resolution images and the measurement of mechanical properties of living cells under physiological conditions...
- H-NS mediated compaction of DNA visualised by atomic force microscopyR T Dame
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Gorlaeus Laboratories, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, PO Box 9502, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
Nucleic Acids Res 28:3504-10. 2000..To get more insight into the mechanism of DNA compaction we applied atomic force microscopy (AFM) to study the structure of H-NS-DNA complexes...
- Topography and nanomechanics of live neuronal growth cones analyzed by atomic force microscopyYing Xiong
School of Chemical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Biophys J 96:5060-72. 2009..The increased mechanical stiffness of the P and T domains is likely important to support and transduce tension that develops during growth cone steering...
- Atomic force microscopy study of the antibacterial effects of chitosans on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureusPeter Eaton
REQUIMTE, Departamento de Quimica, Faculdade de Ciencias da Universidade do Porto, Rua do Campo Alegre, 4169 007 Porto, Portugal
Ultramicroscopy 108:1128-34. 2008..b>Atomic force microscopy (AFM) imaging was used to obtain high-resolution images of the effect of chitosans on the bacterial ..
- The dynamics of individual nucleosomes controls the chromatin condensation pathway: direct atomic force microscopy visualization of variant chromatinFabien Montel
Universite de Lyon, Laboratoire Joliot Curie, CNRS USR 3010, Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon, 69364 Lyon Cedex 07, France
Biophys J 97:544-53. 2009..Importantly, as directly visualized by atomic force microscopy, conventional H2A nucleosomal arrays exhibit specific local organization, in contrast to H2A...
- Adhesively-tensed cell membranes: lysis kinetics and atomic force microscopy probingAlina Hategan
Biophysical Engineering Lab and Institute for Medicine and Engineering, School of Engineering and Applied Science, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6315, USA
Biophys J 85:2746-59. 2003..a finite membrane tension-a state which proves useful for studies of both membrane rupture kinetics and atomic force microscopy (AFM) probing of native structure...
- Atomic force microscopy probing of cell elasticityTatyana G Kuznetsova
Gomel State Medical University, 5, Lange str, Gomel 246000, Belarus
Micron 38:824-33. 2007b>Atomic force microscopy (AFM) has recently provided the great progress in the study of micro- and nanostructures including living cells and cell organelles...
- An atomic force microscopy study on the effect of bleaching agents on enamel surfaceC Hegedus
School of Dentistry, University Medical School of Debrecen, Hungary
J Dent 27:509-15. 1999The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effect of three peroxide-containing bleaching agents, Opalescence, Nite White and a 30% hydrogen peroxide solution, on enamel surfaces using Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM).
- Atomic force microscopy reveals the stoichiometry and subunit arrangement of the alpha4beta3delta GABA(A) receptorNelson P Barrera
Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1PD, United Kingdom
Mol Pharmacol 73:960-7. 2008..onto the three subunits, and complexes between receptors and anti-epitope antibodies were imaged by atomic force microscopy. Determination of the numbers of receptors doubly decorated by each of the three antibodies revealed a ..
- Atomic force microscopy detects differences in the surface brush of normal and cancerous cellsS Iyer
Department of Physics, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY 13699, USA
Nat Nanotechnol 4:389-93. 2009..The observed differences suggest that brush layers should be taken into account when characterizing the cell surface by mechanical means...
- Nanoscale analysis of supported lipid bilayers using atomic force microscopyKarim El Kirat
Laboratoire de Biomécanique et Bioingénierie, UMR CNRS 6600, Universite de Technologie de Compiegne, BP 20529, F 60205 Compiègne Cedex, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1798:750-65. 2010During the past 15 years, atomic force microscopy (AFM) has opened new opportunities for imaging supported lipid bilayers (SLBs) on the nanoscale...
- FluidFM: combining atomic force microscopy and nanofluidics in a universal liquid delivery system for single cell applications and beyondAndré Meister
Swiss Center for Electronics and Microtechnology, CSEM SA, rue Jaquet Droz 1, 2002 Neuchatel, Switzerland
Nano Lett 9:2501-7. 2009..The universality and versatility of the fluidFM will stimulate original experiments at the submicrometer scale not only in biology but also in physics, chemistry, and material science...
- Linker histone H1 per se can induce three-dimensional folding of chromatin fiberKohji Hizume
Laboratory of Plasma Membrane and Nuclear Signaling, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwake cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Biochemistry 44:12978-89. 2005..of genome packing, an in vitro chromatin reconstitution method and a single-molecule imaging technique (atomic force microscopy) were combined. In 50 mM NaCl, well-stretched beads-on-a-string chromatin fiber was observed...
- Combined use of atomic force microscopy, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, and secondary ion mass spectrometry for cell surface analysisEtienne Dague
Unite de Chimie des Interfaces, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Croix du Sud 2 18, B 1348 Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
Langmuir 24:2955-9. 2008..analysis techniques with different sensitivity, probing depth, and lateral resolution, that is, in situ atomic force microscopy, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, and secondary ion mass spectrometry, to gain insight into the surface ..
- Self assembly of epicuticular waxes on living plant surfaces imaged by atomic force microscopy (AFM)Kerstin Koch
Nees Institut für Biodiversität der Pflanzen, Universitat Bonn, Meckenheimer Allee 170, D 53115 Bonn, Germany
J Exp Bot 55:711-8. 2004..Subsequently, several different stages of crystal growth could be distinguished, and different patterns of wax regeneration as well as considerable variation in regeneration speed were found...
- Functional characterization and atomic force microscopy of a DNA repair protein conjugated to a quantum dotHong Wang
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, NIH, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Nano Lett 8:1631-7. 2008..Importantly, we demonstrate that quantum dots can serve as a molecular marker to unambiguously identify the presence of a labeled protein in AFM images...
- Atomic force microscopy: a novel approach to the detection of nanosized blood microparticlesY Yuana
Department of Clinical Oncology, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 8:315-23. 2010..Elevated numbers of blood MPs have been reported in (cardio)vascular disorders and cancer. Most of these MPs are derived from platelets...
- Bond-strengthening in staphylococcal adhesion to hydrophilic and hydrophobic surfaces using atomic force microscopyNiels P Boks
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University Medical Center Groningen and University of Groningen, Antonius Deusinglaan 1, 9713 AV Groningen, The Netherlands
Langmuir 24:12990-4. 2008..It is concluded that, on DDS-coated glass, the hydrophobic effect causes instantaneous adhesion, while strengthening of the bonds on hydrophilic glass is dominated by noninstantaneous hydrogen bond formation...
- DNA bending and unbending by MutS govern mismatch recognition and specificityHong Wang
Department of Chemistry and Curriculum in Applied and Materials Sciences, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:14822-7. 2003..DNA, we have examined the conformations of specific and nonspecific MutS-DNA complexes by using atomic force microscopy. Interestingly, MutS-DNA complexes exhibit a single population of conformations, in which the DNA is bent ..
- Surface ultrastructure and mechanical property of human chondrocyte revealed by atomic force microscopyC H Hsieh
Institute of Molecular Medicine, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 16:480-8. 2008....
- Measuring the viscoelastic properties of human platelets with the atomic force microscopeM Radmacher
Department of Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara 93106, USA
Biophys J 70:556-67. 1996..The elastic moduli were in a range of 1-50 kPa measured in the frequency range of 1-50 Hz. Loading forces could be controlled with a resolution of 80 pN and indentations of the platelet could be determined with a resolution of 20 nm...
- Real-time monitoring of angiotensin II-induced contractile response and cytoskeleton remodeling in individual cells by atomic force microscopyCharles M Cuerrier
Departement de Pharmacologie, Universite de Sherbrooke, 3001, 12e Avenue Nord, Sherbrooke, QC J1H 5N4, Canada
Pflugers Arch 457:1361-72. 2009....
- A thin-layer model for viscoelastic, stress-relaxation testing of cells using atomic force microscopy: do cell properties reflect metastatic potential?Eric M Darling
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Biophys J 92:1784-91. 2007b>Atomic force microscopy has rapidly become a valuable tool for quantifying the biophysical properties of single cells...
- Apparent elastic modulus and hysteresis of skeletal muscle cells throughout differentiationAmy M Collinsworth
Department of Biomedical Engineering, 136 Hudson Hall, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 283:C1219-27. 2002..of differentiation on the transverse mechanical properties of mammalian myocytes was determined by using atomic force microscopy. The apparent elastic modulus increased from 11.5 +/- 1.3 kPa for undifferentiated myoblasts to 45...
- Atomic force microscopy for imaging human metaphase chromosomesTatsuo Ushiki
Division of Microscopic Anatomy and Bio imaging, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 1 757 Asahimachi dori, Chuo Ku, Niigata, 951 8510, Japan
Chromosome Res 16:383-96. 2008The present study introduces the principle of atomic force microscopy (AFM) and reviews our results of human metaphase chromosomes obtained by AFM...
- Organisation of nucleosomal arrays reconstituted with repetitive African green monkey alpha-satellite DNA as analysed by atomic force microscopyMalte Bussiek
Biophysical Engineering, Universiteit Twente, PO Box 217, 7500AE Enschede, The Netherlands
Eur Biophys J 37:81-93. 2007..arrays formed on an AS heptamer as well as the localisation of mononucleosomes on an AS dimer by atomic force microscopy (AFM) showed one major positioning frame, in agreement with earlier results...
- DNA looping-mediated repression by histone-like protein H-NS: specific requirement of Esigma70 as a cofactor for loopingMinsang Shin
Genome Research Center for Enteropathogenic Bacteria and Research Institute of Vibrio Infection, Department of Microbiology, Chonnam National University Medical School, Kwangju 501 746, South Korea
Genes Dev 19:2388-98. 2005..Interestingly, KMnO4 assays and high-resolution atomic force microscopy (AFM) revealed that hdeABp DNA wrapped around Esigma70 more tightly than around Esigma38, resulting in ..
- Fundamental structural units of the Escherichia coli nucleoid revealed by atomic force microscopyJoongbaek Kim
Laboratory of Plasma Membrane and Nuclear Signaling, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwake cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 32:1982-92. 2004..architecture could be achieved, Escherichia coli nucleoids were subjected to structural analyses under atomic force microscopy, and found to change their structure dynamically during cell growth, i.e...
- Osteoblast elastic modulus measured by atomic force microscopy is substrate dependentErica Takai
Bone Bioengineering Laboratory, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 33:963-71. 2005..Modulation of cell stiffness upon adhesion to various substrates may influence mechanosignal transduction in osteoblasts...
- Atomic force microscopy of cell growth and division in Staphylococcus aureusAhmed Touhami
Department of Physics, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 3J5
J Bacteriol 186:3286-95. 2004The growth and division of Staphylococcus aureus was monitored by atomic force microscopy (AFM) and thin-section transmission electron microscopy (TEM)...
- Peptide conformation and supramolecular organization in amylin fibrils: constraints from solid-state NMRSorin Luca
Laboratory of Chemical Physics, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive, and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0520, USA
Biochemistry 46:13505-22. 2007..that exhibit a single predominant morphology, which we call a striated ribbon, in electron microscopy and atomic force microscopy images...
- Directional loading and stimulation of PcrA helicase by the replication initiator protein RepDWenke Zhang
Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, School of Chemistry, University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
J Mol Biol 371:336-48. 2007..The products of the unwinding reaction were visualised by atomic force microscopy (AFM) and monitored in real time by fluorescence spectroscopy...
- Modulation of cellular mechanics during osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cellsIgor Titushkin
Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
Biophys J 93:3693-702. 2007..the distinct biomechanical properties of hMSCs, including the average Young's modulus determined by atomic force microscopy (3.2 +/- 1.4 kPa for hMSC vs. 1.7 +/- 1...
- Hierarchical structure controls nanomechanical properties of vimentin intermediate filamentsZhao Qin
Laboratory for Atomistic and Molecular Mechanics, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e7294. 2009....
- Nanoscopic structure of DNA condensed for gene deliveryD D Dunlap
DIBIT, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milan, Italy
Nucleic Acids Res 25:3095-101. 1997..The size and morphology of the condensates may affect their efficiency in transfection...
- Quantitative morphological analysis reveals ultrastructural diversity of amyloid fibrils from alpha-synuclein mutantsMartijn E van Raaij
MESA Institute for Nanotechnology, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Twente, 7500 AE, Enschede, The Netherlands
Biophys J 91:L96-8. 2006High resolution atomic force microscopy is a powerful tool to characterize nanoscale morphological features of protein amyloid fibrils...
- Scanning electron microscopy and atomic force microscopy imaging of solid lipid nanoparticles derived from amphiphilic cyclodextrinsAlix Dubes
Synthèse, Reconnaissance, Organisation Moléculaire et Biomoléculaire SROMB, CNRS UMR 5078 Université Claude Bernard Lyon1, Cedex, Villeurbanne, France
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 55:279-82. 2003Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and atomic force microscopy (AFM) have been applied to the imagery of solid lipid nanoparticles (SLNs) formulated from an amphiphilic cyclodextrin, 2,3-di-o-alkanoyl-beta-cyclodextrin, beta-CD21C6...
- Measuring elasticity of biological materials by atomic force microscopyA Vinckier
Department of Biochemistry, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH Zentrum, Zurich
FEBS Lett 430:12-6. 1998b>Atomic force microscopy (AFM) has proved its value not only for resolving the topographical structure of biological samples, but also for probing inherent properties of biological structures, like local interaction forces, mechanical ..
- Early detection of aging cartilage and osteoarthritis in mice and patient samples using atomic force microscopyMartin Stolz
M E Müller Institute for Structural Biology, Biozentrum University of Basel, Switzerland
Nat Nanotechnol 4:186-92. 2009..Here, we show that indentation-type atomic force microscopy can monitor age-related morphological and biomechanical changes in the hips of normal and osteoarthritic ..
- In situ atomic force microscopy study of Alzheimer's beta-amyloid peptide on different substrates: new insights into mechanism of beta-sheet formationT Kowalewski
Department of Chemistry, Washington University, One Brookings Drive, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:3688-93. 1999We have applied in situ atomic force microscopy to directly observe the aggregation of Alzheimer's beta-amyloid peptide (Abeta) in contact with two model solid surfaces: hydrophilic mica and hydrophobic graphite...
- Native R-loops persist throughout the mouse mitochondrial DNA genomeTimothy A Brown
Janelia Farm Research Campus, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Ashburn, Virginia 20147 2408, USA
J Biol Chem 283:36743-51. 2008..These results demonstrate that variously processed and targeted mtRNAs within mammalian mitochondria likely have multiple functions in addition to their conventional roles...
- Specific aptamer-protein interaction studied by atomic force microscopyYaxin Jiang
Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, China
Anal Chem 75:2112-6. 2003..between the protein immunoglobulin E (IgE) and its 37-nt aptamer has been measured directly by atomic force microscopy. The single-molecule unbinding force between IgE and the aptamer is determined using the Poisson ..
- Therapeutic ultrasound-mediated DNA to cell and nucleus: bioeffects revealed by confocal and atomic force microscopyM Duvshani-Eshet
The Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Engineering, The Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
Gene Ther 13:163-72. 2006..Using innovative direct microscopy approaches: atomic force microscopy, we demonstrate that TUS exerts bioeffects, which differ from the ones obtained when Optison is used ..
- Quantitative analysis of the viscoelastic properties of thin regions of fibroblasts using atomic force microscopyR E Mahaffy
Department of Physics, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics, University of Texas, Austin, Texas, USA
Biophys J 86:1777-93. 2004..We present the method for an atomic force microscopy-based microrheology that allows us to fully quantify the viscoelastic constants (elastic storage modulus, ..
- Transverse stiffness of myofibrils of skeletal and cardiac muscles studied by atomic force microscopyNao Akiyama
Department of Physics Biophysics Section, Faculty of Science, Tokyo University of Science, Tokyo, Japan
J Physiol Sci 56:145-51. 2006The transverse stiffness of single myofibrils of skeletal and cardiac muscles was examined by atomic force microscopy. The microscopic images of both skeletal and cardiac myofibrils in a rigor state showed periodical striation patterns ..
- Scaffolded DNA origami of a DNA tetrahedron molecular containerYonggang Ke
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and The Biodesign Institute, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona 85287, USA
Nano Lett 9:2445-7. 2009..8 x 10(-23) and 1.5 x 10(-23) m(3), respectively. Correct formation of the tetrahedron DNA cage was verified by gel electrophoresis, atomic force microscopy, transmission electron microscopy, and dynamic light scattering techniques.
- Truncated beta-amyloid peptide channels provide an alternative mechanism for Alzheimer's Disease and Down syndromeHyunbum Jang
Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program, SAIC Frederick, Inc, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:6538-43. 2010..Using complementary techniques of molecular dynamics simulations, atomic force microscopy, channel conductance measurements, calcium imaging, neuritic degeneration, and cell death assays, we show ..
- Using nanotechniques to explore microbial surfacesYves F Dufrêne
Unite de Chimie des Interfaces, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Croix du Sud 2 18, B 1348 Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
Nat Rev Microbiol 2:451-60. 2004
- Direct visualization of G-quadruplexes in DNA using atomic force microscopyKelly J Neaves
Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1PD, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 37:6269-75. 2009..We have used atomic force microscopy (AFM) to image stable RNA/DNA hybrid loops generated by transcription of the plasmid pPH600, which ..
- Monoclonal antibodies recognize distinct conformational epitopes formed by polyglutamine in a mutant huntingtin fragmentJustin Legleiter
Gladstone Institute of Neurological Disease, University of California, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
J Biol Chem 284:21647-58. 2009..Here, we used atomic force microscopy to analyze the effect of a panel of anti-htt antibodies (MW1-MW5, MW7, MW8, and 3B5H10) on aggregate ..
- Single-molecule analysis of cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesionPorntula Panorchan
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, 3400 N Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
J Cell Sci 119:66-74. 2006..Together these results suggest that N-cadherin and E-cadherin molecules form homophilic bonds between juxtaposed cells that have significantly different kinetic and micromechanical properties...
- Effect of line tension on the lateral organization of lipid membranesAna J García-Sáez
Biotechnologisches Zentrum der Techische Universität Dresden, 1307 Dresden, Germany
J Biol Chem 282:33537-44. 2007..in model lipid bilayers with raft-like composition by means of time-lapse confocal microscopy coupled to atomic force microscopy. We varied the hydrophobic mismatch between the two phases, and consequently the line tension, by ..
- Atomic force microscopy study of the effect of antimicrobial peptides on the cell envelope of Escherichia coliM Meincken
UNESCO Associated Centre for Macromolecules, Department of Chemistry, University of Stellenbosch, Matieland, South Africa
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:4085-92. 2005..laevis) and the hemolytic bee venom melittin on Escherichia coli as the target cell were studied by atomic force microscopy (AFM)...
- Regulation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 by DNA structure-specific bindingIrina Lonskaya
Department of Radiation Medicine, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, D C 20057, USA
J Biol Chem 280:17076-83. 2005..Using gel shift and enzymatic footprinting assays and atomic force microscopy, we show that PARP-1 recognizes distortions in the DNA helical backbone and that it binds to three- and ..
- Resolving the nanoscale adhesion of individual gecko spatulae by atomic force microscopyGerrit Huber
Max Planck Institut für Metallforschung Heisenbergstrasse 3, D 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Biol Lett 1:2-4. 2005..successful experiments in which the force-displacement curves were determined for individual spatulae by atomic force microscopy. The adhesion force for these smallest elements of the gecko's attachment system is reproducibly found to ..
- Cell wall modification in grapevine cells in response to UV stress investigated by atomic force microscopyE Lesniewska
Physics Laboratory LPUB UMR CNRS 5027, University of Bourgogne, B P 400, F 21078 Dijon Cedex, France
Ultramicroscopy 100:171-8. 2004..of defence mechanisms in grapevines, and physical cell wall modifications were observed using the atomic force microscopy (AFM) under native conditions...
- Histamine effects on endothelial cell fibronectin interaction studied by atomic force microscopyAndreea Trache
Department of Medical Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Texas A and M University System, College Station, TX 77843 1114, USA
Biophys J 89:2888-98. 2005b>Atomic force microscopy was used to investigate the cellular response to histamine, one of the major inflammatory mediators that cause endothelial hyperpermeability and vascular leakage...
- Watching the components of photosynthetic bacterial membranes and their in situ organisation by atomic force microscopySimon Scheuring
Institut Curie, UMR CNRS 168 and LRC CEA 34V, 11 rue Pierre et Marie Curie, 75231 Paris Cedex 05, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1712:109-27. 2005..Moving on from the structures of individual components of biological membranes, atomic force microscopy has recently been demonstrated to be a unique tool to identify in situ the individual components of multi-..
- Atomic force microscopy shows that vaccinia topoisomerase IB generates filaments on DNA in a cooperative fashionFernando Moreno-Herrero
Kavli Institute of Nanoscience, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Delft University of Technology, Lorentzweg 1, 2628 CJ Delft, The Netherlands
Nucleic Acids Res 33:5945-53. 2005..These clusters were observed in the presence of Mg2+, Ca2+ or Mn2+, suggesting that the formation of intermolecular vTopIB-mediated DNA synapsis is favored by screening of the DNA charge...
- Surface structure and nanomechanical properties of Shewanella putrefaciens bacteria at two pH values (4 and 10) determined by atomic force microscopyFabien Gaboriaud
Laboratoire de Chimie Physique et Microbiologie pour l Environnement, UMR 7564, CNRS, Universite Henri Poincare, Nancy 1, 405 rue de Vandoeuvre, F 54600, Villers les Nancy, France
J Bacteriol 187:3864-8. 2005..putrefaciens) were investigated in situ in aqueous solutions at two pH values, specifically, 4 and 10, by atomic force microscopy (AFM)...
- Studying the mechanics of cellular processes by atomic force microscopyManfred Radmacher
Institute of Biophysics, University of Bremen, Bremen 28334, Germany
Methods Cell Biol 83:347-72. 2007..One option is to use the atomic force microscopy (AFM) to measure the cell's elastic properties locally...
- Quantification of the erythrocyte deformability using atomic force microscopy: correlation study of the erythrocyte deformability with atomic force microscopy and hemorheologyXianxian Chen
The First Affiliated Hospital, Jinan University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 43:243-51. 2009....
- Kinetics of antimicrobial peptide activity measured on individual bacterial cells using high-speed atomic force microscopyGeorg E Fantner
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nat Nanotechnol 5:280-5. 2010..Our results indicate that the killing process is a combination of a time-variable incubation phase (which takes seconds to minutes to complete) and a more rapid execution phase...
- Quantitative analyses of RAG-RSS interactions and conformations revealed by atomic force microscopyJeffrey W Pavlicek
School of Life Sciences, Center for Infectious Disease and Vaccinology, The Biodesign Institute, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona 85287 5501, USA
Biochemistry 47:11204-11. 2008..In this study, using atomic force microscopy imaging (AFM), we analyzed individual RAG-RSS complexes, in which the bending angle of RAG-associated RSS ..
- The CSB protein actively wraps DNANancy Beerens
Department of Cell Biology and Genetics and Radiation Oncology, Erasmus Medical Center, P O Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 280:4722-9. 2005..We also provide evidence suggesting that CSB binds DNA as a dimer. DNA wrapping and unwrapping allows CSB to actively alter the DNA double helix conformation, which could influence nucleosomes and other protein-DNA interactions...
- Three-dimensional imaging of living and dying neurons with atomic force microscopyHelen A McNally
Center for Paralysis Research, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2096, USA
J Neurocytol 33:251-8. 2004b>Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) has been used to image the morphology of developing neurons and their processes. Additionally, AFM can physically interact with the cell under investigation in numerous ways...
- Effect of different anti-Abeta antibodies on Abeta fibrillogenesis as assessed by atomic force microscopyJustin Legleiter
Department of Chemistry, Carnegie Mellon University, 4400 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Mol Biol 335:997-1006. 2004..In recent years, atomic force microscopy (AFM) has provided useful insights into the physicochemical processes involving Abeta morphology, and it ..
- Higher order structure of short immunostimulatory oligonucleotides studied by atomic force microscopyDionne C G Klein
Department of Physics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Ultramicroscopy 110:689-93. 2010..Results obtained here by high-resolution atomic force microscopy of classes A and B CpG-DNA, reflect these differences in secondary structure...
- Contrast inversion in non-contact atomic force microscopy imaging of C60 moleculesFelix Loske
Fachbereich Physik, Universitat Osnabruck, Barbarastrasse 7, 49076 Osnabruck, Germany
Nanotechnology 20:264010. 2009Non-contact atomic force microscopy (NC-AFM) was applied to study C(60) molecules on rutile TiO(2)(110). Depending on the tip-sample distance, distinctly different molecular contrasts are observed...
- Secondary structure of alpha-synuclein oligomers: characterization by raman and atomic force microscopyMihaela M Apetri
Department of Chemistry Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Mol Biol 355:63-71. 2006..and the conformational characteristics of the oligomers and filaments are investigated by a combined atomic force microscopy (AFM) and Raman microscopic approach on a common mica surface...
- Noncontact microrheology at acoustic frequencies using frequency-modulated atomic force microscopyNuria Gavara
Auditory Mechanics Section, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Nat Methods 7:650-4. 2010We report an atomic force microscopy (AFM) method for assessing elastic and viscous properties of soft samples at acoustic frequencies under non-contact conditions...
- Amyloid beta protein forms ion channels: implications for Alzheimer's disease pathophysiologyH Lin
Neuroscience Research Institute, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93016, USA
FASEB J 15:2433-44. 2001..Using techniques of atomic force microscopy, laser confocal microscopy, electrical recording, and biochemical assays, we have examined the molecular ..
- Surface-mediated chromate-resistant mechanism of Enterobacter cloacae bacteria investigated by atomic force microscopyChunpeng Yang
State Key Laboratory of Structural Chemistry, Laboratory of Materials Chemistry and Physics, Fujian Institute of Research on the Structure of Matter, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Fuzhou, Fujian, 350002, People s Republic of China
Langmuir 23:4480-5. 2007..In this study, atomic force microscopy (AFM) was used for studying the morphology characteristics of bacterial properties during the chromate ..
- Atomic force microscopy investigation of phage infection of bacteriaEvgeniy V Dubrovin
Department of Physics of Polymers and Crystals, Faculty of Physics, Moscow State University, Moscow, Russian Federation
Langmuir 24:13068-74. 2008b>Atomic force microscopy (AFM) was used to study the process of infection of bacterial cells by bacteriophages, for which purpose experimental protocols were elaborated...
- Oligomerization properties of FurA from the cyanobacterium Anabaena sp. PCC 7120: direct visualization by in situ atomic force microscopy under different redox conditionsAnabel Lostao
Instituto de Nanociencia de Aragón, Universidad de Zaragoza, 50018 Zaragoza, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1804:1723-9. 2010..b>Atomic force microscopy allows single-molecule imaging and monitorization of the status of FurA under different redox conditions ..
- Non-Hertzian approach to analyzing mechanical properties of endothelial cells probed by atomic force microscopyKevin D Costa
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
J Biomech Eng 128:176-84. 2006..b>Atomic force microscopy (AFM) is an increasingly popular measurement technique that uniquely combines subcellular mechanical ..
- Application of atomic force microscopy in bacterial researchLoredana S Dorobantu
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Scanning 32:74-96. 2010..In this review, we present the fascinating options offered by the rapid advances in AFM with emphasizes on bacterial research and provide a background for the exciting research articles to follow...
- Computational model for nanocarrier binding to endothelium validated using in vivo, in vitro, and atomic force microscopy experimentsJin Liu
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:16530-5. 2010..validated through close agreement between computed NC rupture-force distribution and measured values in atomic force microscopy (AFM) experiments...
- Large scan area high-speed atomic force microscopy using a resonant scannerB Zhao
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Sheffield, Hounsfield Road, Sheffield S3 7RH, United Kingdom
Rev Sci Instrum 80:093707. 2009A large scan area high-speed scan stage for atomic force microscopy using the resonant oscillation of a quartz bar has been constructed. The sample scanner can be used for high-speed imaging in both air and liquid environments...
- Atomic force microscopy analysis of cell volume regulationChiara Spagnoli
Dip Scienze e tecnologie chimiche, Universita di Roma Tor Vergata, Via della Ricerca Scientifica 1, 0133 Rome, Italy
Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys 78:031916. 2008..We tested this prediction using the atomic force microscopy. During osmotic swelling cells did not become stiff and generally became softer...
- Atomic force microscopy of supported lipid bilayersMarie Paule Mingeot-Leclercq
Unité de Pharmacologie Cellulaire et Moléculaire, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Nat Protoc 3:1654-9. 2008..b>Atomic force microscopy (AFM) has become a well-established technique for imaging SLBs at nanometer resolution...
- Rapid self-assembly of alpha-synuclein observed by in situ atomic force microscopyWolfgang Hoyer
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Am Fassberg 11, D 37077 Goettingen, Germany
J Mol Biol 340:127-39. 2004..We have used in situ tapping mode atomic force microscopy to continuously monitor the self-assembly of wild-type alpha-synuclein, its disease-related mutants A30P ..
- Platelet glycoprotein Ibalpha forms catch bonds with human WT vWF but not with type 2B von Willebrand disease vWFTadayuki Yago
Cardiovascular Biology Research Program, Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
J Clin Invest 118:3195-207. 2008..We conclude that in type 2B vWD, prolonged lifetimes of vWF bonds with GPIbalpha on circulating platelets may allow ADAMTS-13 to deplete large vWF multimers, causing bleeding...
- Atomic force microscopy investigation of the morphology and topography of colistin-heteroresistant Acinetobacter baumannii strains as a function of growth phase and in response to colistin treatmentRachel L Soon
Facility for Anti Infective Drug Development and Innovation, Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:4979-86. 2009..Our aim was to use atomic force microscopy (AFM) to investigate the morphology and topography of paired colistin-susceptible and -resistant cells ..
- In situ atomic force microscopy of partially demineralized human dentin collagen fibrilsStefan Habelitz
Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, University of California, 707 Parnassus Avenue D 2260, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Struct Biol 138:227-36. 2002Dentin collagen fibrils were studied in situ by atomic force microscopy (AFM). New data on size distribution and the axial repeat distance of hydrated and dehydrated collagen type I fibrils are presented...
- Telomeric nucleosomes are intrinsically mobileSabrina Pisano
Dipartimento di Genetica e Biologia Molecolare, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Roma, Italy
J Mol Biol 369:1153-62. 2007..Moreover, our findings suggest that the high mobility of telomeric nucleosomes may be relevant to the dynamics of telomeric chromatin...
- The Role of Beta-Gal Mediated Interactions in Prostate Cancer MetastasisVLADISLAV V GLINSKII; Fiscal Year: 2013..these goals, an integrated approach is suggested combining in vitro parallel flow chamber techniques and atomic force microscopy in Aim 1;standard cell biology techniques and phosphoproteomic approaches in Aim 2;in vitro ..
- Angiogenic tissue engineering to limit post-infarction ventricular remodelingY Joseph Woo; Fiscal Year: 2012..with dobutamine stress echocardiography and myocardial tissue properties will be studied utilizing atomic force microscopy and tensile strength measurements...
- Characterization of wild-type and mutant initiation/elongation complexes in EscheCarlos Bustamante; Fiscal Year: 2012..type and mutant initiation/elongation complexes in Eschericia coli and Mycobacterium tuberculosis using Atomic Force Microscopy and Optical Tweezers "This research will be done primarily in Peru at the Universidad Peruana Cayetano ..
- BMP2 signaling of the development of osetoarthritisVicki Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2013..CT that allows for submicron 3-dimensional examination of both mineralized and soft tissues (27, 28) and atomic force microscopy -based nanoindentation (AFM-N), a method that allows for the quantification of the local mechanical ..
- BIOLOGICAL PROPERTIES OF RPE MELANINJanice M Burke; Fiscal Year: 2010..ESR) spectroscopy, biochemical analyses of protein oxidation and lipid peroxidation, scanning EM and atomic force microscopy of melanosomes treated to simulate aging, replicative senescence protocols to induce cellular aging of ..
- Atomic Force Microscopic Studies of Dissecting AneurysmPaul J Boor; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be accomplished by measuring physical characteristics of aortic matrix and isolated molecules with atomic force microscopy (AFM), a technique that measures piconewton molecular forces...
- Extracellular Scaffold Elasticity and Binding Sites in Acinar DifferentiationMelinda Larsen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Use bilayer lithography to create microwell scaffolds for use with primary cells. Abbreviations: AFM, atomic force microscopy;Col IV, collagen type IV;ECM, extracellular matrix;GFP, green fluorescent protein;IKVAV, Isoleucine-..
- Hybrid atomic force-optical imaging system to investigate prenatal nicotineJeffrey Potts; Fiscal Year: 2009..The overall goal of this proposal is to develop a novel imaging system which combines atomic force microscopy (AFM) and high-speed optical imaging to investigate the effect of nicotine on the development and ..
- Structural Basis for Synergistic Gene Expression by Runx1 and Ets1 ProteinsTahir H Tahirov; Fiscal Year: 2012..and a combination of methods (Electrophoretic Mobility Shift Assays, Surface Plasmon Resonance and Atomic Force Microscopy) will be applied to formulate the mechanistic models of DNA-dependent Runx1-Ets1 and Ets1-Ets1 ..
- BIOGENESIS AND INHIBITION OF BIOFILM-ASSOCIATED BACTERIAL AMYLOIDScott J Hultgren; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using Thioflavin T fluorescence, circular dichroism and atomic force microscopy the in vitro mechanism by which CsgB nucleates CsgA fibrillization has been elucidated...
- Designing an Integrated Nanoscale System for Ion Channel Structure-Function StudyRatneshwar Lal; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Atomic force microscopy (AFM) provides high resolution structural information, in aqueous medium, for many macromolecular ..
- Mechanotransduction in the Ciliary MuscleAndrew D Pucker; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using Atomic Force Microscopy, we will evaluate mechanical changes in cells (modulus)...
- Alpha-Synuclein-Metal Complexes and Oxidative Stress in Parkinson's DiseaseFeimeng Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2012..and adsorption spectroscopy) will be used to investigate the binding and redox reactions, whereas atomic force microscopy, circular dichroism, and dynamic light scattering will be employed to follow the aggregation processes...
- Regulation of Replication Origin Usage in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeBik Kwoon Tye; Fiscal Year: 2009..Influence of Mcm1 on the local DMA and chromatin structures will be visualized by atomic force microscopy, electron microscopy as well as nucleosome mapping...
- HIV integrase/DNA complexes and concerted integrationDuane P Grandgenett; Fiscal Year: 2010..In- gel fluorescence resonance energy transfer-derived distance measurements and atomic force microscopy will determine the topology of the two viral DNA ends within the SC...
- Molecular Mechanisims of Amylin Trafficking and Toxicity in Human Pancreatic IsleALEKSANDAR MILORAD JEREMIC; Fiscal Year: 2013..degradation and toxicity pathways in cultured human islet cells will be explored by combinations of atomic force microscopy (AFM), confocal microscopy, spectroscopy and biochemical approaches...
- Commensal Bacteroides signal through sphingolipid rafts during intestinal stressDennis L Kasper; Fiscal Year: 2012..In addition, it is demonstrated by atomic force microscopy that the addition of cholesterol to purified B...
- The Role of Toxic Ion Channels in ALS PathogenesisMichael J Allen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim2) Use high resolution, fluid atomic force microscopy (fAFM) and (Aim 3) fAFM force measurements to determine the subunit structure, conformational changes and ..
- Mechanobiology of Vascular Remodeling in Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionLAURA ELIZABETH FREDENBURGH; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have used atomic force microscopy (AFM) micro-indentation to mechanically characterize the stiffness of pulmonary arteries at an ..
- Investigation of the Establishment of the Prion StateIrina L Derkatch; Fiscal Year: 2010..The conclusions of in vivo studies will be verified in vitro with bacterially expressed proteins, and atomic force microscopy will be used to monitor the seeding process...
- Synthesis and properties of a bacterial bioadhesiveYves V Brun; Fiscal Year: 2013..The first aim is to determine the biophysical basis for holdfast adhesiveness. Atomic force microscopy (AFM) will be used to systematically study the influence of surface roughness, shear stress, surface ..
- DNA damage recognition by nucleotide excision repair proteinsBennett Van Houten; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project combines single molecule approaches (atomic force microscopy, and oblique angle fluorescence) with biochemical approaches to examine how bacterial and eukaryotic ..
- Palmitic Acid Regulation of Dendritic Cell Toll-Like Receptor 4 SignalingDEQUINA ANGELINA NICHOLAS; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Specific Aim 1, we will use isothermal titration calorimetry, fluorescence binding assays, and atomic force microscopy to determine the dissociation constant and thermodynamic parameters of PA interaction with TLR4/MD-2...
- Structural origin of fibrin clot mechanical propertiesJohn W Weisel; Fiscal Year: 2012..unfolding of its molecular domains during pulling on engineered oligomeric constructs by single-molecule atomic force microscopy, and observing the structural transitions by wide angle X-ray diffraction or Fourier Transform infrared ..
- Optical Study of Secretion in Mammalian Nerve TerminalsBRIAN MATTHEW SALZBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Three of them, in particular, constitute the core of each of our specific aims: 1) High Bandwidth Dynamic Atomic Force Microscopy (HBDAFM), to study the rapid, but very small (~1...
- Exosites in Matrix Metalloproteinase Localization and ActivitySteven R Van Doren; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Atomic force microscopy and hydrodynamics will clarify the nature of the saccharide complexes with proMMP-7 and MMP-7...
- Analysis of Polyhydroxyalkanoate Inclusion BiogenesisDouglas Dennis; Fiscal Year: 2009..Employing atomic force microscopy, we have determined that there are three layers of structure, an outer envelope that is the thickness of ..
- Structure, Activity &Physiological Role of HemichannelsRatneshwar Lal; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Atomic force microscopy (AFM) provides high resolution structural information for many biological macromolecules, including ion ..
- Bio-imaging with Isothermal DNA Self-AssemblyDavid Yu Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..DNA nanostructures in both native and denaturing conditions have been verified by gel electrophoresis, atomic force microscopy, and total internal reflection fluorescence microscopy, and studies will shortly being on the in situ ..
- Bio-imaging with Isothermal DNA Self-AssemblyDavid Yu Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..DNA nanostructures in both native and denaturing conditions have been verified by gel electrophoresis, atomic force microscopy, and total internal reflection fluorescence microscopy, and studies will shortly being on the in situ ..
- Processing of Alternative Structures in Telomeric DNAGERALD JOSEPH NORA; Fiscal Year: 2011..In specific aim 2, we will use Atomic Force Microscopy and computational modeling to determine the arrangement and equilibrium of G4 DNA structures on long ..
- LIPID AND PROTEIN EFFECTS ON MONOLAYER STABILITYJOSEPH ANTHONY ZASADZINSKI; Fiscal Year: 2013..These mechanical properties will be correlated with isotherms, fluorescence and atomic force microscopy, and grazing incidence synchrotron X-ray diffraction to determine how cholesterol alters the molecular ..
- Intrinsic Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell StiffnessStephen F Vatner; Fiscal Year: 2013..first approach, we will determine how VSMC stiffness and senescence are affected by age and gender using atomic force microscopy (AFM) and also an artificial tissue model...
- Arterial Stiffness in the Pathogenesis of Human Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionLAURA ELIZABETH FREDENBURGH; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have used atomic force microscopy (AFM) microindentation to mechanically characterize the stiffness of pulmonary arteries at an ..
- Molecular Mechanisms of Prion and Amyloid PropagationChristopher P Jaroniec; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, we will use hydrogen/deuterium exchange solution NMR methods, atomic force microscopy and tilted-beam transmission electron microscopy.
- Functional Invitro CNS and PNS Myelination ModelStephen Lambert; Fiscal Year: 2013..will cause contraction of the myotube with a corresponding deflection of the cantilever detectable by atomic force microscopy methodology...
- Impact of dyslipidemia on endothelial biomechanicsPapasani V Subbaiah; Fiscal Year: 2013..EC stiffness will be measured using a combination of two biophysical techniques, Microaspiration and Atomic Force Microscopy and lipid packing will be assayed by two-photon microscopy...
- Mechanisms and functions of p75 neurotrophin receptor signaling in astrocytesKaterina Akassoglou; Fiscal Year: 2013..activation, generation of new transgenic mice for cell-fate mapping of p75NTR - expressing cells, atomic force microscopy and three-dimensional electron tomography to determine the role of cleaved p75NTR in the dynamic ..
- ALPHA-V INTEGRINS AND ADENOVIRUS CELL ENTRYGlen R Nemerow; Fiscal Year: 2013..Advanced imaging of adenovirus by atomic force microscopy will be employed to measure the tensile strength and mechanical properties of the viral capsid...
- The Mechanical Basis of Primary Open Angle GlaucomaMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..hypertension characteristic of POAG results from an intro, including magnetic twisting cytometry (MTC), atomic force microscopy (AFM), and a unique embodiment of traction force microscopy called cell mapping rheometry...
- Molecular Mechanisms of L. monocytogenes Adhesion Through Surface BiopolymersNEHAL IBRAHIM ABU LAIL; Fiscal Year: 2010..Surface biopolymers will be investigated mainly using atomic force microscopy (AFM)...
- Mechanisms of microvascular remodeling progressionLuis A Martinez-Lemus; Fiscal Year: 2013..With atomic force microscopy (AFM) and fluorescence imaging we will apply discrete forces to freshly isolated VSM cells and monitor ..
- Thermodynamics and kinetics of DNA-ligand binding probed by DNA overstretchingAndreas Hanke; Fiscal Year: 2013..Single-molecule force measurements using optical and magnetic tweezers and atomic force microscopy have dramatically expanded our knowledge of nucleic acids and proteins...
- Mechanotransduction in Acute Lung InjuryChristopher M Waters; Fiscal Year: 2012..Finally, atomic force microscopy will be used to test the hypothesis that localized changes in mechanical stiffness regulate the repair ..
- Repeat-Proteins;Stability, Folding Kinetics &EvolutionDOUGLAS E BARRICK; Fiscal Year: 2012..standard equilibrium and stopped flow folding with collaborative hydrogen exchange mass spectrometry, atomic force microscopy, and optical tweezer methods...
- Amyloid-B peptide on endothelial adhesion and its related cellular pathwaysJames C M Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010..by various biophysical and biochemical techniques including quantitative immunofluorescent microscopy, atomic force microscopy and various biochemical approaches...
- Water Soluble Nanoarrays for Single Cell ProteomicsHao Yan; Fiscal Year: 2013..The second is a nanoscale readout using atomic force microscopy (AFM).The AFM is capable of reading out >30,000 array sites per minute...
- Export of Protein in Escherichia coliLinda L Randall; Fiscal Year: 2013..allow membrane proteins such as SecYEG to be treated as a soluble particle and the use of single molecule atomic force microscopy. Many questions of interest cannot be readily answered by ensemble methods because interpretation is ..
- Hydrolytically stable hydrophilic CE coatings for protein characterizationJUNIOR EMIRO SANDOVAL; Fiscal Year: 2012..The modified surfaces will be characterized by IR and solid-state NMR spectroscopies, atomic force microscopy, contact-angle measurements, etc...
- Signal Initiation from the T-cell Antigen Receptor by Mechanical ForceTERRI FINKEL; Fiscal Year: 2009..The extensibility (conformational change under force) of TCR will be determined using atomic force microscopy (AFM)...
- VISCOELASTIC PROPERTIES OF NORMAL AND OA CHONDRONSFarshid Guilak; Fiscal Year: 2013..triphasic mechanical properties of the pericellular matrix from normal and osteoarthritic cartilage using atomic force microscopy, incorporate these findings in a theoretical triphasic model of cell-matrix interactions in cartilage, ..
- Cortactin in Regulation of Pulmonary Vascular PermeabilitySteven M Dudek; Fiscal Year: 2011..and junctional protein rearrangements that regulate pulmonary endothelial barrier function using novel atomic force microscopy (AFM) and other techniques to functionally characterize cortactin's role in peripheral cytoskeletal ..
- Cardiomyocyte mechanotransduction through the integrin complexROBERT SCOTT ROSS; Fiscal Year: 2013..and tissues are used with state of the art experimental techniques, including magnetic resonance imaging, atomic force microscopy and isolated tissue testing, as well as cell- based functional assays...
- Myocardial passive stiffness: effect of aging.WILLIAM CORSON HUNTER; Fiscal Year: 2010..function will be quantified by (a) stretching isolated resting myocytes parallel to the sarcomere axis using carbon fibers and (b) nanoindentation of passive myocytes transverse to the sarcomere axis using atomic force microscopy.
- Intravascular Integrin - Mediated Steps in Breast Cancer MetastasisVLADISLAV V GLINSKII; Fiscal Year: 2013..integrated approach is proposed involving the use of modified parallel flow chamber techniques and atomic force microscopy to identify integrin molecules stabilizing breast cancer cell/EC adhesion in Aim 1;advanced ..
- Phototransduction in health and diseasePAUL S PARK; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our proposal utilizes several high-resolution biophysical methods including atomic force microscopy, single-molecule force spectroscopy and Forster resonance energy transfer...
- Effects of Diabetes on the Multiscale Mechanical Behavior of Clot StructuresRodney D Averett; Fiscal Year: 2013..behavior of fibrinogen and other single ECM molecules under tension;however, they are meant to replicate atomic force microscopy (AFM) tensile behavior and most do not have physiological relevance...
- Cardiac-Cell Mechanics at the Single-Cell Level: Properties and InteractionsDelphine Dean; Fiscal Year: 2013..of cardiomyocytes and fibroblasts as a function of the extracellular matrix will be assessed using atomic force microscopy. Then, the effect of cardiomyocyte-fibroblast interactions on cellular mechanics will be determined...
- Design, construction, and evaluation of implants for vocal fold alteration and reLuc Mongeau; Fiscal Year: 2012..The issues of bonding between implants and native tissue will be examined using atomic force microscopy.
- dbVision: A Toolbox for bioimage databasesKaushal Solanki; Fiscal Year: 2009..techniques, including immunofluorescence microscopy, electron microscopy, GFP visualization and atomic force microscopy have contributed enormously to our current understanding of molecular cell biology in its many forms...
- Tunable affinity and heat stable antibody targeting of nanoparticlesTodd Sulchek; Fiscal Year: 2012..the BclA antigen with surface plasmon resonance (SPR) and single-molecule binding measurements based upon atomic force microscopy force spectroscopy...
- Modeling synaptic vesicles: how does alpha-Synuclein inhibit fusion?Jonathan N Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our proposed research intimately combines computational modeling with experimental x-ray scattering and atomic force microscopy to bridge a critical gap in understanding how [unreadable]S creates physical barriers to vesicle fusion...
- Scimagix Web-Based Scientific Image Management SystemDouglas Hanson; Fiscal Year: 2005..to, EM and TEM, confocal laser scanning microscopy (CLSM), laser capture microdissection microscopy, atomic force microscopy, microradiography, digital still and video imaging through light microscopes, UV and fluorescent ..
- REGULATION OF PROTEIN TOBACCO MOSAIC VIRUS RNA COMPLEXESVitaly Citovsky; Fiscal Year: 2002..TMV RNA complexes with unphosphorylated or phosphorylated MP will be analyzed using atomic force microscopy and RNA footprinting to assess how MP phosphorylation affects RNA region(s) protected by MP binding...
- BIOMIMETICS OF BONE REGENERATIONJill Helms; Fiscal Year: 2002..aim 3, we propose experiments to determine the mechanical properties of the regenerated tissue using atomic force microscopy in order to provide a clinically relevant measure of its structural integrity...
- Stem Cell-Driven Regeneration of the Mandibular JointJeremy Mao; Fiscal Year: 2006..of bone and cartilage markers, computerized histomorphometry, and micromechanical testing with atomic force microscopy. In Specific Aim 2, multilayered osteochondral constructs will be fabricated in the shape of human ..
- NEW BIOMEDICAL INTERFACE MATERIALSRoger Marchant; Fiscal Year: 2002..Surface modifications will be characterized by spectroscopic and physical methods, and atomic force microscopy that will permit nanoscale imaging and examination of intermolecular forces...
- Investigating Ultrastructural Collagen Changes in Osteogenesis ImperfectaJoseph Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Atomic force microscopy coupled with dendritic polymers as model proteins will be used to probe the collagen of wild type, [Brtl/+..
- DETERMINATION OF ANTIBODY SPECIFICITY USING AFMCHARLES SOKOLIK; Fiscal Year: 2001Description (provided by applicant): This research will use atomic force microscopy (AFM) and peptide combinatorial libraries to quantify and determine directly the specificity of an antibody...
- UNDERSTANDING MEMBRANE FUSION A BIOENGINEERING APPROACHBHANU JENA; Fiscal Year: 2001..Using electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy and immunoisolation procedures, a "new structure" associated with the neuronal fusion machinery has been ..
- UNDERSTANDING MEMBRANE FUSION A BIOENGINEERING APPROACHBHANU JENA; Fiscal Year: 2004..Using electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy and immunoisolation procedures, a "new structure" associated with the neuronal fusion machinery has been ..
- Redox incuced Metal Transfer Reaction of MetalloproteinsFeimeng Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2001..The specific plan will include the application of the following techniques: (1) Using atomic force microscopy and scanning tunneling microscopy to probe the surface coverage and orientation of immobilized MT ..
- LONG TERM BIODEGRADATION OF ELASTOMERS MATERIALSP Hiltner; Fiscal Year: 2001..Methods of material characterization will include contact angle, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), atomic force microscopy (AFM), Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy (attenuated total reflectance (ATR), micro-ATR, ..
- AFM Sensors to Detect Biological Warfare AgentsCurtis Mosher; Fiscal Year: 2002..NanoArray chip technology is based on affinity capture of pathogens using solid phase antibody arrays and Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)...
- Forces at the heart of Staphylococcus biofilms on cardiac implantsSTEVEN LOWER; Fiscal Year: 2009..Clonal relationships of these isolates will be assessed with MLST and spa typing. Atomic force microscopy (AFM) will be used to probe the bond between a Fn-coated surface (i.e...
- DNA Nanoarrays Printed via Dip Pen NanolithographyNABIL AMRO; Fiscal Year: 2003..DPN, built upon the technique of Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM), allows one to deposit materials uniformly in a direct-write fashion on surfaces with nanoscale ..