Genomes and Genes
Summary: Microscopy using polarized light in which phenomena due to the preferential orientation of optical properties with respect to the vibration plane of the polarized light are made visible and correlated parameters are made measurable.
Publications228 found, 100 shown here
- Changes in spatial collagen content and collagen network architecture in porcine articular cartilage during growth and maturationJ Rieppo
Institute of Biomedicine, Anatomy, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 17:448-55. 2009..The present study was designed to reveal changes in the collagen network architecture and collagen content in cartilage during growth and maturation of pigs...
- Structure-function relationships in enzymatically modified articular cartilageJarno Rieppo
Department of Anatomy, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Cells Tissues Organs 175:121-32. 2003....
- Detecting structural changes in early experimental osteoarthritis of tibial cartilage by microscopic magnetic resonance imaging and polarised light microscopyH A Alhadlaq
Department of Physics and Center for Biomedical Research, Oakland University, Rochester, MI 48309, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 63:709-17. 2004..To detect changes in the collagen fibril network in articular cartilage in a canine experimental model of early osteoarthritis (OA) using microscopic magnetic resonance imaging (microMRI) and polarised light microscopy (PLM)...
- Maturation of collagen fibril network structure in tibial and femoral cartilage of rabbitsP Julkunen
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 18:406-15. 2010..These changes modulate the functional properties of cartilage. We studied maturation-related changes in the collagen network organization of cartilage as a function of tissue depth...
- Orthogonal polarization spectral imaging as a tool for the assessment of hepatic microcirculation: a validation studyS Langer
Institute for Surgical Research, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, University Hospital Grosshadern, Germany
Transplantation 71:1249-56. 2001..However, before implementation into clinical use its ability to quantitatively measure microcirculatory parameters must be validated...
- Measurement of single macromolecule orientation by total internal reflection fluorescence polarization microscopyJoseph N Forkey
Pennsylvania Muscle Institute and Department of Physiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 19104 6083, USA
Biophys J 89:1261-71. 2005..In addition to evaluating the technique, the data also provide a new measurement of the torsional rigidity of F-actin. These measurements support the smaller of two values of the torsional rigidity of F-actin previously reported...
- Persistent microcirculatory alterations are associated with organ failure and death in patients with septic shockYasser Sakr
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Belgium
Crit Care Med 32:1825-31. 2004..To characterize the time course of microcirculatory alterations and their relation to outcome in patients with septic shock...
- Polarization microscopy with stellated gold nanoparticles for robust monitoring of molecular assemblies and single biomoleculesJesse Aaron
Dept Biomedical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, Austin TX 78712, USA
Opt Express 16:2153-67. 2008..The imaging can be carried out with single molecule sensitivity for essentially unlimited time with no signal degradation...
- FRET by fluorescence polarization microscopyDavid W Piston
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Methods Cell Biol 85:415-30. 2008..In this chapter, we will discuss the theory behind AFRET imaging, calculation of FP anisotropies using fluorescent microscopes, and configuration of microscopes for AFRET experiments...
- Microcirculation in distress: a new resuscitation end point?Can Ince
Crit Care Med 32:1963-4. 2004
- High-contrast imaging of fluorescent protein FRET by fluorescence polarization microscopyMark A Rizzo
Biophys J 88:L14-6. 2005..This approach is able to distinguish FRET between linked and unlinked Cerulean and Venus fluorescent proteins in living cells with a larger dynamic range than other approaches...
- Anisotropy of collagen fibre alignment in bovine cartilage: comparison of polarised light microscopy and spatially resolved diffusion-tensor measurementsS K de Visser
School of Physical and Chemical Sciences, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 16:689-97. 2008..To compare collagen fibre alignment angles obtained from polarised light microscopy (PLM) and diffusion-tensor imaging (DTI) in bovine articular cartilage...
- Modeling optical behavior of birefringent biological tissues for evaluation of quantitative polarized light microscopyMark C van Turnhout
Wageningen University, Department of Animal Sciences, Experimental Zoology Group, P O Box 338, Wageningen, 6700 AH, The Netherlands
J Biomed Opt 14:054018. 2009..Because collagen fiber orientation and anisotropy are important for tissue function, these results can improve the biological and medical relevance of qPLM results...
- Microvascular blood flow is altered in patients with sepsisDaniel De Backer
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme University Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Belgium
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:98-104. 2002..The topical application of acetylcholine totally reversed these alterations. In conclusion, microvascular blood flow alterations are frequent in patients with sepsis and are more severe in patients with a worse outcome...
- Long-term cyclical in vivo loading increases cartilage proteoglycan content in a spatially specific manner: an infrared microspectroscopic imaging and polarized light microscopy studyEhsan Saadat
Department of Bioengineering, University of California, Berkeley, 459 Evans Hall 1762 Berkeley, CA 94720 1762, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 8:R147. 2006..Furthermore, stimulation is localized to cartilage regions of high hydrostatic pressure. These data may be useful in developing interventions to prevent overuse injuries or in developing therapies to improve joint function...
- Effect of loading on the organization of the collagen fibril network in juvenile equine articular cartilagePieter A J Brama
School of Agriculture, Food Science and Veterinary Medicine, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
J Orthop Res 27:1226-34. 2009..The site differences in OI indicate that Benninghoff's classic predominantly perpendicular arcades appear not to be a consistent architectural feature, but adapt to local forces sustained...
- Age matters: collagen birefringence of superficial articular cartilage is increased in young guinea-pigs but decreased in older animals after identical physiological type of joint loadingM M Hyttinen
Department of Anatomy, University of Kuopio, Finland
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 9:694-701. 2001..It can be hypothesized further that with time the inferior property of the collagen network predisposes the older runners to earlier OA than in controls...
- Orientation of the myosin light chain region by single molecule total internal reflection fluorescence polarization microscopyMargot E Quinlan
Pennsylvania Muscle Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 19104 6083, USA
Biophys J 89:1132-42. 2005....
- Articular cartilage collagen birefringence is altered concurrent with changes in proteoglycan synthesis during dynamic in vitro loadingK Kiraly
Department of Anatomy, University of Kuopio, Kuopio University Hospital, Finland
Anat Rec 251:28-36. 1998..In this study, we exposed articular cartilage plugs to cyclic loading and investigated the properties of collagen network and proteoglycans in different zones of the articular cartilage...
- Polarized light propagation in multiply scattering media exhibiting both linear birefringence and optical activity: Monte Carlo model and experimental methodologyMichael F G Wood
Ontario Cancer Institute, Division of Biophysics and Bioimaging, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9, Canada
J Biomed Opt 12:014029. 2007..Other scattering-independent polarization properties can be incorporated into the developed Jones N-matrix formalism, enabling quantification of the polarization effects via an accurate polarization-sensitive Monte Carlo model...
- Variables affecting polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography imaging examined through the modeling of birefringent phantomsBin Liu
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 22:262-71. 2005..A better understanding of the mechanisms that control PS-OCT imaging would be useful for interpretation of tissue images and ultimately useful to provide more diagnostic information...
- Perturbation and differential Monte Carlo methods for measurement of optical properties in a layered epithelial tissue modelInSeok Seo
University of California, Irvine, Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Irvine, California 92697, USA
J Biomed Opt 12:014030. 2007..These results provide some guidance for the design of compact fiber-based probes to determine and isolate optical properties from both epithelial and stromal layers of superficial tissues...
- Degree of polarization estimation in the presence of nonuniform illumination and additive Gaussian noiseArnaud Bénière
Laboratoire Charles Fabry de l Institut d Optique, Univ Paris Sud, Palaiseau, France
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 25:919-29. 2008..We demonstrate the efficiency of this new estimator and compare its performance with other standard estimators as a function of the degree of nonuniformity of the illumination...
- Polarization-degree imaging contrast in turbid media: a quantitative studyHanrong Shao
Laboratory of Optical Imaging and Sensing, Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University, Shenzhen, China
Appl Opt 45:4491-6. 2006..Different behaviors in contrast for linear and circular polarizations are compared. Contributions to the background of circular polarization degree images by backscattering, snake, and diffusive photons are examined carefully...
- Characterizing of tissue microstructure with single-detector polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomographyBin Liu
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Massachusetts, USA
Appl Opt 45:4464-79. 2006..This study, along with the data in part I, advance the insights gained from PS-OCT images beyond simply determining the presence or absence of birefringence...
- High-visibility interferometric measurement of the diffraction phaseSalvador Barraza-Lopez
Department of Physics and Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 24:1148-55. 2007..The resulting optimized visibility allows for a precise phase determination. This setup is very stable, requiring no active elements...
- Characterization of dentin, enamel, and carious lesions by a polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography systemYueli Chen
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269 1157, USA
Appl Opt 44:2041-8. 2005..e., the local textural features and the global structural features. This study indicates that PSOCT has the potential to be a powerful tool for research of dental formation and caries diagnosis...
- Corneal birefringence compensation for polarization sensitive optical coherence tomography of the human retinaMichael Pircher
Medical University of Vienna, Center for Biomedical Engineering and Physics, Wahringer Strasse 13, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Biomed Opt 12:041210. 2007..We implemented the method in a state of the art spectral domain PS-OCT system and demonstrate it in a test sample and human retina in vivo...
- Numerical study of the effects of scatterer sizes and distributions on multiple backscattered intensity patterns of polarized lightYong Deng
Britton Chance Center for Biomedical Photonics, Wuhan National Laboratory for Optoelectronics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074, China
Opt Lett 33:77-9. 2008..The results show that the polarization patterns of dysplastic and normal cells have distinct differences, which might be used for identification of the morphological structure changes of cancer, dysplasia, and regeneration cells...
- Three-dimensional laparoscope based on the manipulation of polarized light by a cellophane half-wave plateKeigo Iizuka
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto, 10 King s College Road, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 3G4
Appl Opt 44:7083-90. 2005..The structure is simple, sturdy, lightweight, and its diameter is no bigger than a standard 10 mm diam laparoscope...
- Polarimetric imaging of subsurface tissue-numerical resultsGnanou F Sudha
Pondicherry Engineering College, Pondicherry 605 014, India
J Biomed Opt 10:054014. 2005..Monte Carlo simulations show that the resultant image has marked contrast up to 2.5 cm...
- Simultaneous false-colour imaging of birefringence, extinction and transmittance at camera speedW Kaminsky
Department of Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Microsc 228:153-64. 2007..The range of possible applications is demonstrated with examples from the fields of biology, medicine, forensics and material sciences...
- Complex degree of mutual polarization of biological tissue coherent images for the diagnostics of their physiological stateOleg V Angelsky
J Biomed Opt 10:060502. 2005..The ensemble of diagnostic criteria (skewness and kurtosis of two-dimensional distributions of complex degree of mutual polarization) of pathological changes of muscular and connective (skin derma) tissues is defined...
- Polarization-correlation mapping of biological tissue coherent imagesO V Angelsky
Chernivtsi National University, 2 Kotsyubinsky Street, Chernivtsi 58012, Ukraine
J Biomed Opt 10:064025. 2005..Finally, we consider the diagnostic possibilities of investigating 2-D distributions of CDMP of images that correspond to physiologically normal and degeneratively and/or dystrophycally changed biological tissues that are being analyzed...
- Polarization multiplexing and demultiplexing for appearance-based modelingOana G Cula
Johnson and Johnson, CPCW, Skillman, NJ 08558, USA
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 29:362-7. 2007..In addition to polarization multiplexing, we show that phase histograms from the intensity modulations can be used to estimate scene properties including the number of light sources...
- Utility of imaging mass spectrometry (IMS) by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization (MALDI) on an ion trap mass spectrometer in the analysis of drugs and metabolites in biological tissuesDieter M Drexler
Pharmaceutical Candidate Optimization Discovery Analytical Sciences, 5 Research Parkway, Wallingford, CT 06492, USA
J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 55:279-88. 2007..However, the localization of test article or spatial identification of metabolites may be critical to the understanding of the mechanism of target-organ toxicity and its relevance to clinical safety...
- Mueller polarimetric imaging system with liquid crystalsBlandine Laude-Boulesteix
Laboratoire de Physique des Interfaces et des Couches Minces, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unite Mixte de Recherche 7647, Ecole Polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau Cedex, France
Appl Opt 43:2824-32. 2004..The optical properties of Picrosirius Red stained collagen (diattenuation, retardance, and polarizance) have been measured independently from each other between 500 and 700 nm...
- Remineralization of in vitro dental caries assessed with polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomographyRobert S Jones
University of California, Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Biomed Opt 11:014016. 2006..This study determines that PS-OCT can image the effects of fluoride-enhanced remineralization of mild and severe early artificial in vitro caries...
- Transparent surface modeling from a pair of polarization imagesDaisuke Miyazaki
Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo, 4 6 1 Komaba, Meguro ku, Tokyo, Japan 153 8505
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 26:73-82. 2004..e., normal position and tilted with small angle position. We also discuss the geometrical features of the object surface and propose a method for matching two sets of polarization data at identical points on the object surface...
- Cell segmentation using coupled level sets and graph-vertex coloringSumit K Nath
MCVL, Department of Computer Science, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 9:101-8. 2006....
- Enhancement of hidden structures of early skin fibrosis using polarization degree patterns and Pearson correlation analysisAlexander P Sviridov
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biomed Opt 10:051706. 2005..In addition, Pearson correlation analysis provides information about skin structural size and directionality...
- Interpreting second-harmonic generation images of collagen I fibrilsRebecca M Williams
Applied and Engineering Physics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Biophys J 88:1377-86. 2005..Fibrillogenesis can be resolved in immature tissue by directly imaging backward-propagating SHG. Such findings are crucial to the design and development of forthcoming diagnostic and research tools...
- Acousto-optic-tunable-filter-based spectropolarimetric imagers for medical diagnostic applications--instrument design point of viewNeelam Gupta
Army Research Laboratory, 2800 Powder Mill Road, Adelphi, Maryland 20783 1197, USA
J Biomed Opt 10:051802. 2005..We describe our concept in the development of these imagers and present new results obtained using the VNIR imager...
- Quantification of the wound healing using polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomographyJung Taek Oh
Institute for Medical Engineering, Wonju, Kangwon, Korea 220 842
J Biomed Opt 11:041124. 2006..Our results suggest that PS-OCT may be a useful tool for visualization of collagen fiber regeneration and for quantification of various drug effects during the wound healing process...
- Constrained optimization of Drude's equations eliminates effects of confounding molecules for the polarimetric measurement of glucoseBurak Güçlü
Institute for Sensory Research, 621 Skytop Road, Syracuse, New York 13244 5290, USA
J Biomed Opt 9:967-77. 2004..The relative error was smaller than 1% in all except the low-glucose sample (1.4%). This method may prove useful in noninvasive glucose measurement in humans...
- Polarization contrast imaging of biological tissues by polarization-sensitive Fourier-domain optical coherence tomographyShuichi Makita
Institute of Applied Physics, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8573, Japan
Appl Opt 45:1142-7. 2006..Local polarization properties are obtained by longitudinal differentiation of Jones matrix components. The layered structure of the bovine tendon and birefringence are revealed...
- Images of finite sized spherical particles in confocal and conventional microscopes when illuminated with arbitrary polarizationSanaz Alali
Department of Electrical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Appl Opt 47:453-8. 2008..Further, we find the limiting size of a particle for which it can be considered a point scatterer for a particular wavelength...
- Polarization color imaging system for on-line quantitative evaluation of facial skin lesionsHeesung Kang
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Yonsei University, Wonju, Korea
Dermatol Surg 33:1350-6. 2007..Quantitative methods have limitations for widely distributed skin lesions due to poor spatial resolution, potential skin blanching, and difficulty in relocating identical sites for subsequent measurements and analysis...
- Polarization effects on scatterer sizing accuracy analyzed with frequency-domain angle-resolved low-coherence interferometryJohn W Pyhtila
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, North Carolina 27708, USA
Appl Opt 46:1735-41. 2007....
- Polarization-rich continuous wave direct imaging: modeling and visualizationR S Umesh
Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
Appl Opt 45:4344-54. 2006..Simulation and experimental results verify the theoretical conclusions...
- Fluorescence polarization of tetracycline derivatives as a technique for mapping nonmelanoma skin cancersAnna N Yaroslavsky
Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Biomed Opt 12:014005. 2007..Therefore, the developed technique can provide an important new tool for image-guided cancer surgery...
- Polarization singularities of biological tissues imagesO V Angelsky
Chernivtsi National University, 2 Kotsyubinsky Str, Chernivtsi, 58012, Ukraine
J Biomed Opt 11:054030. 2006..It was discovered that the process of the pathological change of the kidney tissue morphology leads to the formation of the self-similar (fractal) coordinate distribution of the polarization singularities of its image...
- Estimation of the degree of polarization in active coherent imagery by using the natural representationPhilippe Refregier
Physics and Image Processing Group, Fresnel Institute, Unité Mixte de Recherche Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique 6133, 13 397 Marseille cedex 20, France
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 21:2292-300. 2004....
- Comments on "A new algorithm for border description of polarized light surface microscopic images of pigmented skin lesions"Marco Burroni
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 25:1655-6. 2006....
- Improved scanning laser fundus imaging using polarimetryJuan M Bueno
Laboratorio de Optica, Centro de Investigación en Otica y Nanofisica, Universidad de Murcia, Spain
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 24:1337-48. 2007..Improved visualization of features could aid in the detection, localization, and tracking of ocular disease and may be applicable in other biomedical imaging...
- Time-resolved backscattering of circularly and linearly polarized light in a turbid mediumXiaohui Ni
Institute for Ultrafast Spectroscopy and Lasers, Department of Physics, City College of New York, Graduate School of the City University of New York, New York, New York 10031, USA
Opt Lett 29:2773-5. 2004....
- A new algorithm for border description of polarized light surface microscopic images of pigmented skin lesionsCostantino Grana
Department of Computer Engineering, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, 41100 Modena, Italy
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 22:959-64. 2003..The efficacy of these new descriptors was tested on a data set of 510 pigmented skin lesions, composed by 85 melanomas and 425 nevi, by employing statistical methods for discrimination between the two populations...
- Orientation-independent differential interference contrast microscopy and its combination with an orientation-independent polarization systemMichael Shribak
Marine Biological Laboratory, 7 MBL Street, Woods Hole, Massachusetts 02543, USA
J Biomed Opt 13:014011. 2008..Those images provide clear evidence that the proposed technique can reveal fine architecture and molecular organization in live cells without perturbation associated with staining or fluorescent labeling...
- Performance parameters for focusing of radial polarizationColin J R Sheppard
Division of Bioengineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Opt Lett 33:497-9. 2008..Performance parameters are presented for high-aperture radially polarized focusing systems. These can be used for comparing the focusing performance of different optical systems, including the effect of pupil filters...
- Three-dimensional polarization control in microscopyAyman F Abouraddy
Research Laboratory of Electronics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Phys Rev Lett 96:153901. 2006..Controlling the relative complex weights of these azimuthal harmonics produces any desired three-dimensional state of polarization...
- Anisotropic properties of the enamel organic extracellular matrixAlexandre R do Espírito Santo
Department of Morphology, Piracicaba Dental School, State University of Campinas, Piracicaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur J Oral Sci 114:333-7; discussion 349-50, 382. 2006..The analysis of enamel organic matrix birefringence may be used to detect the effects of genetic and environmental factors on the supramolecular orientation of enamel matrix and their effects on the structure of mature enamel...
- Polarized laser Doppler perfusion imaging--reduction of movement-induced artifactsM G D Karlsson
Linkoping University, Department of Biomedical Engineering and Competence Centre for Non invasive Medical Measurements NIMED, Sweden
J Biomed Opt 10:064002. 2005..In conclusion, the polarized LDPI technique reduces movement artifacts and is particularly appropriate when assessing, e.g., ulcers and burns, where specular reflection is high...
- Influence of solid phase and formulation processing on stability of Abbott-232 tablet formulationsJ Wardrop
Manufacturing Science and Technology, Global Pharmaceutical Operations, Abbott Laboratories, North Chicago, Illinois 60064, USA
J Pharm Sci 95:2380-92. 2006..Stability studies confirmed that both IR and extended release (ER) tablets of Abbott-232 were successfully developed for clinical trials using direct compression...
- The influence of povidone K17 on the storage stability of solid dispersions of nimodipine and polyethylene glycolMartina Maria Smikalla
Institut fuer Pharmazeutische Technologie und Biopharmazie, Heinrich Heine Universität Duesseldorf, Germany
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 66:106-12. 2007..These results show clearly that dissolution of povidone in melted polyethylene glycol is a prerequisite in order to prevent recrystallization...
- Polymorphism on leflunomide: stability and crystal structuresDaniel Vega
Unidad de Actividad Fisica, Comision Nacional de Energia Atomica, Av Gral Paz 1499, 1650 San Martin, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Pharm Sci 95:1075-83. 2006..pi interactions, while in form II it is given only by the former. The independent molecules in form I adopt different conformations thus allowing for a larger number of intermolecular interactions...
- Induced amphotropic and thermotropic ionic liquid crystallinity in phosphonium halides: "lubrication" by hydroxyl groupsKefeng Ma
Department of Chemistry, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057 1227, USA
Langmuir 24:2746-58. 2008..Possible applications of such systems are suggested...
- Liquid crystal and crystal structure of octahomotetraoxacalixarenesShigeo Kohmoto
Department of Applied Chemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Engineering, Chiba University, 1 33, Yayoi cho, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8522, Japan
J Org Chem 71:4509-15. 2006..These phases were investigated with X-ray diffraction, differential scanning calorimetry, and polarized optical microscopy...
- Wavelet analysis of two-dimensional birefringence images of architectonics in biotissues for diagnosing pathological changesOleg V Angelsky
Chernivtsi National University, 2 Kotsyubinsky Street, Chernivtsi 58012, Ukraine
J Biomed Opt 9:679-90. 2004..A technique for early optical diagnosis of the appearance of these biological tissues and the course of their degenerative-dystrophic changes is proposed...
- Optical anisotropy of the human cornea determined with a polarizing microscopeRichard A Bone
Department of Physics, Florida International University, 11200 SW 8th Street, Miami, Florida 33199, USA
Appl Opt 46:8351-7. 2007..Both the angle between the optic axes and the retardance were fairly constant among the majority of samples, suggestive of uniformity in corneal structure...
- Vortex retarders produced from photo-aligned liquid crystal polymersScott C McEldowney
JDSU, 2789 Northpoint Parkway, Santa Rosa, CA 95407, USA
Opt Express 16:7295-308. 2008..The impact of aberrations and of vortex retarder misalignment on the PSM and OTM are presented...
- Crystal deposits in the human intervertebral disc: implications for disc degenerationHelen E Gruber
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopedic Research Biology, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC 28232, USA
Spine J 7:444-50. 2007..In articular cartilage matrix, crystal deposits are associated with altered extracellular matrix (ECM) and cell phenotypic features, but crystal deposition in the human intervertebral disc has received much less attention...
- Polarized light imaging of white matter architectureLuiza Larsen
Department of Computer Science, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Microsc Res Tech 70:851-63. 2007..The strengths and weaknesses of the method are set out...
- Alignment maps of tissues: II. Fast harmonic analysis for imagingT T Tower
Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Biophys J 81:2964-71. 2001..The method is demonstrated for a porcine heart valve leaflet...
- Physical basis of colors seen in Congo red-stained amyloid in polarized lightAlexander J Howie
Department of Pathology, University College London, London, UK
Lab Invest 88:232-42. 2008..Rather than showing 'apple-green birefringence in polarized light' as often reported, Congo red-stained amyloid, when examined between crossed polarizer and analyzer, should more accurately be said to show anomalous colors...
- Observation of extraordinary optical activity in planar chiral photonic crystalsKuniaki Konishi
Department of Applied Physics, University of Tokyo, Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology, JST, Tokyo, Japan
Opt Express 16:7189-96. 2008..We demonstrate that in the planar chiral photonic crystal, the coupling of the normally incident light wave with low-loss waveguide and Fabry-Pérot resonance modes results in a dramatic enhancement of the optical activity...
- Compact spatial polariscope for light polarization state analysisWładysław A Woźniak
Institute of Physics, Wrocław University of Technology, Wybrzeze Wyspiańskiego 2750 370 Wrocław, Poland
Opt Express 16:10471-9. 2008..Neither movable parts nor active elements are needed and no complicated analysis of output light should be made to calculate the desired quantities...
- Inactivation of one allele of the type II collagen gene alters the collagen network in murine articular cartilage and makes cartilage softerM M Hyttinen
Department of Anatomy, University of Kuopio, Finland
Ann Rheum Dis 60:262-8. 2001....
- Thirty-eight years of stone meetings in EuropeK H Bichler
Department of Urology, University Tübingen, Hoppe Seyler Str 3, 72076, Tubingen, Germany
Urol Res 34:70-8. 2006..in the 1970s and 1980s was focused on urinary stone analysis (X-ray diffraction, infrared spectroscopy, polarization microscopy) and standardization of these methods...
- Organization and distribution of intramuscular connective tissue in normal and immobilized skeletal muscles. An immunohistochemical, polarization and scanning electron microscopic studyTero A H Järvinen
Department of Surgery, Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
J Muscle Res Cell Motil 23:245-54. 2002..The structure of the intramuscular connective tissue was studied by immunohistochemistry, polarization microscopy (the crimp length and angle of the collagen fibers) and scanning electron microscope (SEM) in rat ..
- Improved detection of amyloid in fat pad aspiration: an evaluation of Congo red stain by fluorescent microscopyTamar A Giorgadze
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Cytopathology and Cytometry Section, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 31:300-6. 2004..Congophilia with apple-green birefringence by polarization microscopy (PM) is considered diagnostic for amyloid...
- Fibrillogenesis in gelsolin-related familial amyloidosisC P Maury
Department of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Kasarmikatu 11 13, FIN 00130 Helsinki, Finland
Amyloid 10:21-5. 2003..having sequence homology with wild-type or mutant gelsolins was monitored by Congo-red staining and polarization microscopy, negative staining electron microscopy and quantitative thioflavine-T fluorometry...
- Cutaneous plasma cell granuloma: report of a case with novel histologic and immunohistochemical findingsYu Fei Chen
Department of Dermatology, Triservice General Hospital, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, and National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Dermatol 48:409-11. 2009..No vasculitis or emperipolesis was found. No foreign materials were observed by polarization microscopy, and no organisms could be identified by periodic acid-Schiff (PAS), Grocott methenamine silver (GMS), ..
- [Relationship between corneal neovascularization and various relevant biological factors in surrounding cornea stroma of rats]Ting Wang
Shandong Eye Institute, Qingdao 266071, China
Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi 45:158-63. 2009..To study the relationship between corneal neovascularization and various biological factors in corneal stroma of rats...
- Optical anisotropy of alcian blue-stained acid glycosaminoglycansMaria Luiza S Mello
Department of Cell Biology, Institute of Biology, State University of Campinas UNICAMP, 13083 863 Campinas, Brazil
Acta Histochem 109:78-85. 2007..colors of alcian blue (AB)-stained glycosaminoglycans (GAG) and glycoconjugates observed with polarization microscopy have been found to vary, although their staining characteristics under unpolarized light are practically ..
- Sensitivity and specificity of Congo red staining according to Romhányi. Comparison with Puchtler's or Bennhold's methodsMiklós Bély
Department of Pathology, Policlinic of the Hospitaller Brothers of St John of God, Frankel L 17 19, H 1027 Budapest, Hungary
Acta Histochem 108:175-80. 2006..The binding of the oriented dye molecules is optimal for polarization microscopy. With this method, the polar hydrophilic mounting medium, gum Arabic is used...
- Distinct structural and mechanical properties of the nuclear lamina in Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndromeKris Noel Dahl
Department of Cell Biology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:10271-6. 2006..Based on polarization microscopy results, we suggest that the lamins are disordered in the healthy nuclei, whereas the lamins in HGPS ..
- Detection of gold particles in the neck skin after lightning stroke with evaporation of an ornamental chainLudwig Jonas
Department of Pathology, Electron Microscopic Centre, Faculty of Medicine, University of Rostock, Germany
Ultrastruct Pathol 26:153-9. 2002..and elongated gold deposits represent crystals of gold salts, as detected by electron diffraction and polarization microscopy. Attempts to remove the gold particles from the skin to remove the tattoo should not be undertaken ..
- Prevalence and origin of amyloid in kidney biopsiesHanna von Hutten
Department of Pathology, Charite University Hospital, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Am J Surg Pathol 33:1198-205. 2009..Amyloid was identified by Congo red staining and polarization microscopy. Immunohistochemical classification was made with antibodies directed against AA amyloid, apolipoprotein ..
- Relationship between meiotic spindle location with regard to the polar body position and oocyte developmental potential after ICSIL Rienzi
Centre for Reproductive Medicine, European Hospital, Rome, Italy
Hum Reprod 18:1289-93. 2003The recent development of a computer-assisted polarization microscopy system (Polscope) with which the meiotic spindle can be visualized in living oocytes on the basis of its birefringence permits analysis of the meiotic spindles of ..
- Management of hyperuricemia in gout: focus on febuxostatMattheus K Reinders
Clinical Pharmacy, Atrium Medisch Centrum Parkstad, Heerlen, The Netherlands
Clin Interv Aging 5:7-18. 2010..common inflammatory arthritis in an elderly population, and can be diagnosed with absolute certainty by polarization microscopy. However, diagnosis may be challenging because atypical presentations are more common in the elderly...
- Chondrocyte phenotype and ectopic ossification in collagenase-induced tendon degenerationPauline Po Yee Lui
Department of Orthopaedics, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
J Histochem Cytochem 57:91-100. 2009..viva CT imaging and polarization microscopy showed characteristic bony porous structures and collagen fiber arrangement, respectively, in the ..
- Impact of gentamicin-supplemented polyvinylidenfluoride mesh materials on MMP-2 expression and tissue integration in a transgenic mice modelMarcel Binnebösel
Department of Surgery, RWTH Aachen University Hospital, Pauwelsstr 30, 52074, Aachen, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 395:413-20. 2010....
- Heteroplasmic conjugates formed by the fusion of starfish oocyte pairs with a 12 minute time difference in the maturation phaseM Yoneda
The Tateyama Marine Laboratory, Ochanomizu Univerity, Chiba, Japan
Dev Growth Differ 42:121-8. 2000..Under polarization microscopy two meiotic spindles emerged with a time difference of 10-11 min, which is close to the time difference ..
- Vascular endothelial growth factor induces extracellular matrix proteins and osteopontin in the umbilical arteryManfred Infanger
Department of Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Ann Vasc Surg 22:273-84. 2008..Afterward, the vessels were analyzed applying morphometry, sirius red staining, polarization microscopy, Western blot analysis, and immunohistochemistry...
- Foreign material as a cause of choledocholithiasisV Prochazka
2nd Internal Clinic, Palacky University, Olomouc, Czech Republic
Endoscopy 31:383-5. 1999..Gallstones obtained endoscopically from the biliary duct were analyzed to determine their structure and the presence of foreign material. The possible correlation between foreign material in gallstones and clinical data was investigated...
- Effect of low level laser therapy (830 nm) with different therapy regimes on the process of tissue repair in partial lesion calcaneous tendonFlávia Schlittler Oliveira
Department of Plastic Surgery, Sao Paulo Federal University UNIFESP, Sao Paulo, SP 04024 900, Brazil
Lasers Surg Med 41:271-6. 2009..To assess the effect of low intensity laser therapy on the process of tissue repair in calcaneous tendon after undergoing a partial lesion...
- Dissolution improvement and the mechanism of the improvement from cocrystallization of poorly water-soluble compoundsKoji Shiraki
Discovery Platform Technology Department, Chugai Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, 1 135 Komakado, Gotemba, Shizuoka 412 8513, Japan
Pharm Res 25:2581-92. 2008..To demonstrate improvement in the dissolution of exemestane and megestrol acetate from cocrystallization using various particle sizes and to investigate the mechanism of the improved dissolution...
- Polarimetric analysis of the human cornea measured by polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomographyFelix Fanjul-Velez
University of Cantabria, Electronics Technology, Systems and Automation Engineering Department, Applied Optical Techniques Group, Avenida de los Castros s n, Santander, Cantabria 39005 Spain
J Biomed Opt 15:056004. 2010..like polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography (PS-OCT), scanning laser polarimetry, or polarization microscopy are contradictory...
- Laser-induced collagen remodeling and deposition within the basilar membrane of the mouse cochleaGentiana I Wenzel
Baylor College of Medicine, Bobby R Alford Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, One Baylor Plaza, NA102, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biomed Opt 12:021007. 2007..The mice were sacrificed 14 to 16 days later and collagen organization was studied. Polarization microscopy revealed that laser irradiation increased the birefringence within the basilar membrane in a dose-..
- Primary tooth ankylosis: report of case with histological analysisG Mancini
Department of Human Anatomy and Histology, University of Florence, Italy
ASDC J Dent Child 62:215-9. 1995..and radiographic signs of ankylosis, were subject to histological examination by bright field and polarization microscopy. The roots revealed signs of ongoing resorptive and reparative processes and in some areas dentin with ..
- Amyloid in surgical pathologyChristoph Rocken
Department of Pathology, Otto von Guericke University, Leipziger Strasse 44, 39120, Magdeburg, Germany
Virchows Arch 443:3-16. 2003..Histological proof can be obtained using Congo-red staining and polarization microscopy. However, small deposits may be difficult to discern, and sensitivity can be improved using fluorescence ..
- Orientation independent DIC and polarization microscopyMichael Shribak; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Orientation independent DIC and polarization microscopyMichael Shribak; Fiscal Year: 2013..The polychromatic polscope will be able to provide sharp images of fast moving birefringent organelles, rapid birefringence propagation caused be nerve impulses, etc. ..
- Improved Automated UrinalysisFatima Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our approach is to use polarization microscopy to obtain new features to aid classification of crystals, casts and other particles...
- STRUCTURAL BASIS OF KINESIN MOTOR MOVEMENTHernando Sosa; Fiscal Year: 2006..be characterized at different points in the ATPase cycle using cryo- electron microscopy and fluorescence polarization microscopy on kinesin molecules fluorescently labeled on the motor domain...
- Quantitative Optical Phase, Amplitude, and Polarization MicroscopyRemy Tumbar; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Polarization microscopy for three-dimensional imaging of biological microstructurMircea Mujat; Fiscal Year: 2009..A novel technique for imaging biological tissue without labeling or staining, called Mueller matrix polarization microscopy, is introduced for visualizing the distribution of the anisotropic complex refractive index, an intrinsic ..
- STRUCTURE, FUNCTION & MECHANISM OF CONTRACTILE PROTEINSYALE GOLDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..motions of both single molecules and ordered arrays of contractile proteins, time-resolved fluorescence polarization microscopy, and ultra-rapid freezing electron microscopy synchronized to transient molecular events...
- COLLAGEN AND THE HYPERTROPHIED HEARTKARL WEBER; Fiscal Year: 1993..Picrosirius red and polarization microscopy will be used to identify the different patterns of FIB and the structural nature and composition of ..
- Mechanics and Mechanisms of HIV Reverse TranscriptaseDavid Keller; Fiscal Year: 2003..and carry out single-molecule kinetics measurements on individual REV RT molecules using fluorescence polarization microscopy. 4...
- Nanoscale Organization of the OHC Lateral WallJENNIFER GREESON; Fiscal Year: 2007..the behavior of membrane molecules under perturbation using an optical technique called fluorescence polarization microscopy (FPM)...
- PHYSICAL STRUCTURE OF VIRUSES, CHROMOSOMES & CELL NUCLEIMARCOS MAESTRE; Fiscal Year: 1993..dichroism (CD) and flow oriented CD; b) circular dichroic microspectrophotometer; c) differential imaging polarization microscopy; d) fluorescence detected circular dichroism (FDCD); and e) scattered corrected CD by fluorscat and FDCD ..
- Quantitative molecular imaging in articular cartilageYang Xia; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Towards In Situ Optical Pathology of Nonmelanoma Skin CancersAnna Yaroslavsky; Fiscal Year: 2008..The diagnostic application of this technology holds the potential to replace biopsy, thus reducing morbidity and time associated with that invasive procedure. ..
- Optical Mapping of Nonmelanoma Skin CancersAnna Yaroslavsky; Fiscal Year: 2005..v) Evaluate the clinical prototype and the developed imaging methods in a surgical practice environment. ..
- Probing Cell Division with Synthetic ChemistryTimothy Mitchison; Fiscal Year: 2008..Having found small molecule tools that perturb cell division by novel mechanisms, we will test their ability to kill cancer cells in vitro. ..
- Laser AcupuncturePeter Whittaker; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, with an established animal model, it will be possible to address mechanistic questions using pharmacological interventions in an attempt to block the benefits of laser acupuncture treatment. ..
- Optical detection of neural activity with phase sensitive interferometryBORIS PARK; Fiscal Year: 2008..Park to combine expertise in physics and biomedical optics with neuroscience, substantially adding to his capabilities as an independent researcher. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IKSI: 2nd International Urolithiasis Research SymposiumAndrew Evan; Fiscal Year: 2008..This assumption was supported by the great success of the 1st International Urolithiasis Research symposium and the high level of interest in the 2nd symposium date. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- High-Speed Label-Free Optical Detection System for Small-Molecule MicroarraysXiangdong Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- GAP JUNCTIONAL COMMUNICATIONS IN WOUND HEALINGH Ehrlich; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Dentin Fluoride as a Biomarker for Childhood Fluoride IntakeJAMES STERN WEFEL; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Cytoskeleton polymerization dynamics in the cell cycleTimothy J Mitchison; Fiscal Year: 2010..Understanding midbody assembles will reveal principles for generating asymmetric assemblies in the cytoplasm, and will tell us how the cleavage furrow is positioned. ..
- Fourier Domain Functional OCTZhongping Chen; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Validation of New Diagnostic Technologies for Dental CariesJAMES STERN WEFEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..The clinical data will be paired with the PLM for validity measurements and analyzed by the biostatisticians. ..
- Synovium-based articular cartilage tissue engineeringErnst B Hunziker; Fiscal Year: 2010..We believe that this project is highly innovative and that the results of this research will have a significant impact on the future treatment of osteoarthritic lesions and on improvement of the health status of the US population. ..
- MUC-1 related cancer immunity: determinants and predictive significanceDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings of our study could provide the basis for developing a safe cancer- preventing vaccine for ovarian cancer and perhaps other MUC1-expressing tumors. ..
- Genes, Hormones & Environment in an Ovarian Cancer ModelDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our continued goal is to identify modifiable risk factors and chemo preventive agents for a common and lethal cancer in women. ..
- A Request for support of 25th SPRSM MeetingJames Wang; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPMENT OF AUTOMATED POLARIZED HIGHT MICROSCOPERudolf Oldenbourg; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF A TREATMENT FOR OSTEOGENESIS IMPERFECTAR Martin; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGIC AND BIOLOGIC PREDICTORS OF IVF SUCCESSDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- TEM with Digital and Cryopreparation SystemsAndrew Evan; Fiscal Year: 2003..Dr. Richard Gregory will employ immunohistochemistry to examine the role of a Streptococcus mutans 65 kDa fimbrial protein binding as a mechanism for the induction of dental carries. ..
- 3-D Image Restoration for Polarized Light MicroscopyRudolf Oldenbourg; Fiscal Year: 2002..The image restoration procedures will greatly enhance the utility of the P01-Scope for biological and medical applications to non-invasively analyze the architectural dynamics of living cells. ..
- HIGH SPEED HIGH RESOLUTION PHASE RESOLVED OCT/ODTZhongping Chen; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- 3-D Image Restoration for Polarized Light MicroscopyRudolf Oldenbourg; Fiscal Year: 2003..The image restoration procedures will greatly enhance the utility of the P01-Scope for biological and medical applications to non-invasively analyze the architectural dynamics of living cells. ..
- MATH INTERVENTION FOR CHILDREN WITH LEUKEMIAIda Moore; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- ELECTRON MICROSCOPETimothy Mitchison; Fiscal Year: 2004..The automated controls and digital image acquisition will also be optimal for introducing new users to electron microscopy and for minimizing maintenance requirements that might arise from operator inexperience. ..
- ACTIN DYNAMICS AND CELL LOCOMOTIONTimothy Mitchison; Fiscal Year: 2004..For perturbation experiments we will use protein tools, and also cell permeable chemicals coming out of a screening effort at the Harvard Institute of Chemistry and Cell Biology (ICCB). ..
- Bringing Molecular Contrast to OCTBRIAN APPLEGATE; Fiscal Year: 2005..We intend to couple proven nonlinear spectroscopic techniques to optical coherence tomography, in order to provide molecular contrast. ..
- Tissue protein imaging via second harmonic generatonPaul Campagnola; Fiscal Year: 2006..iii) Determine ideal optical parameters for SHG imaging of tissues in vivo. ..
- MULTIPHOTON BIOMEDICAL NANOFABRICATIONPaul Campagnola; Fiscal Year: 2001..3) To fabricate dimensionally complex channels and structures for applications to microfluidics. 4) To fabricate composites and biomaterials for tissue engineering. ..
- An interdisciplinary and integrative study of tendinopathyJames H C Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ONLY NEURONS READ NEURAL CODESRAYMON GLANTZ; Fiscal Year: 2002..The problem of neural coding has important implications for the design of prosthetic devices and the linkage between such devices and the nervous system. ..
- Low-Cost Device for Digital Retinal ImagingAnn E Elsner; Fiscal Year: 2010..While this project focuses on diabetic retinopathy in humans, future applications include other retinal disorders in both humans and animal models. ..
- Optical Scatter MicroscopyNADA BOUSTANY; Fiscal Year: 2002..In this initial phase of development, the investigators will use OSM to study mitochondrial dysfunction during cell death. The long-term goal is to develop OSM as a tool for functional microscopy. ..
- Collagen Crosslinking Effects on Bone FragilityDeepak Vashishth; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Low-Cost Device for Digital Retinal ImagingANN ELSNER; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will investigate the key features considered necessary for early detection grading, and also more the serious damage that is typically discovered late in the rural and urban underserved. ..
- Risk for New onset of Depression in Perimenopausal WomenDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- MULTIPHOTON BIOMEDICAL NANOFABRICATIONPaul Campagnola; Fiscal Year: 2003..3) To fabricate dimensionally complex channels and structures for applications to microfluidics. 4) To fabricate composites and biomaterials for tissue engineering. ..
- IKSI: 1st Annual International Urolithiasis Research SymposiumAndrew Evan; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Optical Biopsy Using MEMs TechnologyZhongping Chen; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, the scanning probe technology developed in this proposal can also be used for endoscopic confocal and two-photon imaging. ..
- Risk for Renal Injury Caused by Shock Wave LithotripsyAndrew Evan; Fiscal Year: 2008..All of these proposed studies aim at understanding the adverse effects of shock waves and advancing the safety of all stone patients at a time when reports of adverse effects in SWL are on the rise. ..