Genomes and Genes
Summary: The use of instrumentation and techniques for visualizing material and details that cannot be seen by the unaided eye. It is usually done by enlarging images, transmitted by light or electron beams, with optical or magnetic lenses that magnify the entire image field. With scanning microscopy, images are generated by collecting output from the specimen in a point-by-point fashion, on a magnified scale, as it is scanned by a narrow beam of light or electrons, a laser, a conductive probe, or a topographical probe.
Publications555 found, 100 shown here
- Super-resolution microscopy reveals that mammalian mitochondrial nucleoids have a uniform size and frequently contain a single copy of mtDNAChristian Kukat
Department of Mitochondrial Biology, Max Planck Institute for Biology of Ageing, D 50931 Cologne, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:13534-9. 2011..We have used a combination of stimulated emission depletion microscopy, enabling a resolution well below the diffraction barrier, and molecular biology to study nucleoids in a panel ..
- Reconstruct: a free editor for serial section microscopyJ C Fiala
Department of Biology, Boston University, Boston, MA, USA
J Microsc 218:52-61. 2005Many microscopy studies require reconstruction from serial sections, a method of analysis that is sometimes difficult and time-consuming...
- Optical projection tomography as a tool for 3D microscopy and gene expression studiesJames Sharpe
Medical Research Council, Human Genetics Unit, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Science 296:541-5. 2002Current techniques for three-dimensional (3D) optical microscopy (deconvolution, confocal microscopy, and optical coherence tomography) generate 3D data by "optically sectioning" the specimen...
- Whole-brain functional imaging at cellular resolution using light-sheet microscopyMisha B Ahrens
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Janelia Farm Research Campus, Ashburn, Virginia, USA
Nat Methods 10:413-20. 2013..Here we use light-sheet microscopy to record activity, reported through the genetically encoded calcium indicator GCaMP5G, from the entire volume ..
- Sputum processing methods to improve the sensitivity of smear microscopy for tuberculosis: a systematic reviewKaren R Steingart
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 6:664-74. 2006In low-income and middle-income countries, direct (unconcentrated) sputum smear microscopy is the primary method for diagnosing pulmonary tuberculosis...
- Imaging without lenses: achievements and remaining challenges of wide-field on-chip microscopyAlon Greenbaum
Electrical Engineering Department, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Nat Methods 9:889-95. 2012..of lens-free computational imaging tools and report some of their emerging results for wide-field on-chip microscopy, such as the achievement of a numerical aperture (NA) of ∼0.8-0...
- Rapid testing for malaria in settings where microscopy is available and peripheral clinics where only presumptive treatment is available: a randomised controlled trial in GhanaEvelyn K Ansah
Dangme West District Health Directorate, Dodowa, Ghana
BMJ 340:c930. 2010..in West Africa the impact of rapid diagnostic tests on the prescription of antimalarials and antibiotics both where microscopy is used for the diagnosis of malaria and in clinical (peripheral) settings that rely on clinical diagnosis.
- Cost-effectiveness of malaria microscopy and rapid diagnostic tests versus presumptive diagnosis: implications for malaria control in UgandaVincent Batwala
Department of Community Health, Mbarara University of Science and Technology P, O, Box 1410, Mbarara, Uganda
Malar J 10:372. 2011Current Uganda National Malaria treatment guidelines recommend parasitological confirmation either by microscopy or rapid diagnostic test (RDT) before treatment with artemether-lumefantrine (AL)...
- V3D enables real-time 3D visualization and quantitative analysis of large-scale biological image data setsHanchuan Peng
Janelia Farm Research Campus, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Ashburn, Virginia, USA
Nat Biotechnol 28:348-53. 2010The V3D system provides three-dimensional (3D) visualization of gigabyte-sized microscopy image stacks in real time on current laptops and desktops...
- Lensfree microscopy on a cellphoneDerek Tseng
UCLA Electrical Engineering Department, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Lab Chip 10:1787-92. 2010We demonstrate lensfree digital microscopy on a cellphone...
- mGRASP enables mapping mammalian synaptic connectivity with light microscopyJinhyun Kim
Janelia Farm Research Campus, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Ashburn, Virginia, USA
Nat Methods 9:96-102. 2011....
- Live-cell photoactivated localization microscopy of nanoscale adhesion dynamicsHari Shroff
Janelia Farm Research Campus, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 19700 Helix Drive, Ashburn, Virginia 20147, USA
Nat Methods 5:417-23. 2008We demonstrate live-cell super-resolution imaging using photoactivated localization microscopy (PALM)...
- Evaluation of three parasite lactate dehydrogenase-based rapid diagnostic tests for the diagnosis of falciparum and vivax malariaElizabeth A Ashley
Epicentre, Paris, France
Malar J 8:241. 2009..In areas where non-falciparum malaria is common rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) capable of distinguishing malaria species reliably are needed. Such tests are often based on the detection of parasite lactate dehydrogenase (pLDH)...
- Three-dimensional sub-100 nm resolution fluorescence microscopy of thick samplesManuel F Juette
Institute for Molecular Biophysics, The Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main Street, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
Nat Methods 5:527-9. 2008..This method, named biplane (BP) FPALM, combines a double-plane detection scheme with fluorescence photoactivation localization microscopy (FPALM) enabling 3D sub-diffraction resolution without compromising speed or sensitivity.
- Malaria misdiagnosis in Uganda--implications for policy changeJoan Nankabirwa
Malaria Consortium, Africa Regional Office, Kampala, Uganda
Malar J 8:66. 2009..In this study, the policy implications of such recommendations are revisited...
- Rapid diagnostic tests for malaria at sites of varying transmission intensity in UgandaHeidi Hopkins
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Infect Dis 197:510-8. 2008..In Africa, fever is often treated presumptively as malaria, resulting in misdiagnosis and the overuse of antimalarial drugs. Rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) for malaria may allow improved fever management...
- Label-free biomedical imaging with high sensitivity by stimulated Raman scattering microscopyChristian W Freudiger
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Science 322:1857-61. 2008Label-free chemical contrast is highly desirable in biomedical imaging. Spontaneous Raman microscopy provides specific vibrational signatures of chemical bonds, but is often hindered by low sensitivity...
- High-aperture cryogenic light microscopyM A Le Gros
Physical Biosciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California, USA
J Microsc 235:1-8. 2009..here the development of instruments and protocols for carrying out high numerical aperture immersion light microscopy on cryogenic specimens...
- Subdiffraction-resolution fluorescence microscopy reveals a domain of the centrosome critical for pericentriolar material organizationV Mennella
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
Nat Cell Biol 14:1159-68. 2012..By RNA-mediated interference (RNAi), we show that PLP fibrils are required for interphase recruitment and proper mitotic assembly of the PCM matrix...
- Limitations of microscopy to differentiate Plasmodium species in a region co-endemic for Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium knowlesiBridget E Barber
Menzies School of Health Research and Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Malar J 12:8. 2013..Species misidentification by microscopy has been reported in areas co-endemic for vivax and falciparum malaria, and may be more frequent in regions ..
- Static magnetic fields affect cell size, shape, orientation, and membrane surface of human glioblastoma cells, as demonstrated by electron, optic, and atomic force microscopyLaura Teodori
Unità di Biotecnologie, Sezione di Tossicologia e Scienze Biomediche, ENEA Centro Ricerche Casaccia, Via Anguillarese 301, 00060 Rome, Italy
Cytometry A 69:75-85. 2006..To investigate the effect of exposure to increasing doses of SMF on cell morphology, human glioblastoma cells were exposed to SMF ranging between 80 and 3,000 G (8 and 300 mT)...
- PCR as a confirmatory technique for laboratory diagnosis of malariaStephanie P Johnston
Division of Parasitic Diseases, M S F 36, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U S Department of Health and Human Services, 4770 Buford Highway NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3724, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:1087-9. 2006..in blood specimens. PCR was more sensitive than microscopy and capable of identifying malaria parasites at the species level when microscopy was equivocal.
- Overview of telepathology, virtual microscopy, and whole slide imaging: prospects for the futureRonald S Weinstein
Arizona Telemedicine Program, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Hum Pathol 40:1057-69. 2009..a generation of pathology trainees who prefer digital pathology imaging over the traditional hands-on light microscopy. The creation of standards for virtual slide telepathology is early in its development but accelerating...
- Intravital imaging of metastatic behavior through a mammary imaging windowDmitriy Kedrin
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Nat Methods 5:1019-21. 2008..We found that two distinct microenvironments in the same orthotopic mammary tumor affected differently the invasion and intravasation of tumor cells...
- Sub-microscopic malaria cases and mixed malaria infection in a remote area of high malaria endemicity in Rattanakiri province, Cambodia: implication for malaria eliminationNicolas Steenkeste
Unité d Epidémiologie Moléculaire, Institut Pasteur du Cambodge, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Malar J 9:108. 2010Malaria microscopy and rapid diagnostic tests are insensitive for very low-density parasitaemia. This insensitivity may lead to missed asymptomatic sub-microscopic parasitaemia, a potential reservoir for infection...
- Fast, high-contrast imaging of animal development with scanned light sheet-based structured-illumination microscopyPhilipp J Keller
Cell Biology and Biophysics Unit, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany
Nat Methods 7:637-42. 2010Recording light-microscopy images of large, nontransparent specimens, such as developing multicellular organisms, is complicated by decreased contrast resulting from light scattering...
- Correlative live-cell and superresolution microscopy reveals cargo transport dynamics at microtubule intersectionsStefan Balint
Institut de Ciencies Fotoniques ICFO, 08860 Castelledefels Barcelona, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:3375-80. 2013..we first develop an all-optical correlative imaging method based on single-particle tracking and superresolution microscopy to map the transport trajectories of cargos to individual microtubules with high spatiotemporal resolution...
- Over-diagnosis of malaria by microscopy in the Kilombero Valley, Southern Tanzania: an evaluation of the utility and cost-effectiveness of rapid diagnostic testsKelly Harchut
Princeton University, 106A Guyot Hall, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Malar J 12:159. 2013..While microscopy is the most common form of malaria diagnosis, concerns over its accuracy have prompted the incorporation of ..
- Nuclear pore scaffold structure analyzed by super-resolution microscopy and particle averagingAnna Szymborska
Cell Biology and Biophysics Unit, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Meyerhofstrasse 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Science 341:655-8. 2013..By combining stochastic super-resolution microscopy, to directly resolve the ringlike structure of the NPC, with single particle averaging, to use information from ..
- Operational feasibility of using loop-mediated isothermal amplification for diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in microscopy centers of developing countriesCatharina C Boehme
Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics, 1216 Cointrin, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 45:1936-40. 2007..Here, we report on the first clinical evaluation of LAMP for the detection of pulmonary TB in microscopy centers in Peru, Bangladesh, and Tanzania to determine its operational applicability in such settings...
- Three-dimensional microscopy of the tumor microenvironment in vivo using optical frequency domain imagingBenjamin J Vakoc
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Department of Dermatology, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Med 15:1219-23. 2009Intravital multiphoton microscopy has provided powerful mechanistic insights into health and disease and has become a common instrument in the modern biological laboratory...
- Second harmonic generation imaging microscopy: applications to diseases diagnosticsPaul Campagnola
University of Wisconsin Madison, 53706, USA
Anal Chem 83:3224-31. 2011Second Harmonic Generation microscopy has emerged as a powerful new optical imaging modality. This Feature describes its chemical and physical principles and highlights current applications in disease diagnostics.
- Learning regions of interest from low level maps in virtual microscopyDavid Romo
Bioingenium Research Group, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogota, Colombia
Diagn Pathol 6:S22. 2011Virtual microscopy can improve the workflow of modern pathology laboratories, a goal limited by the large size of the virtual slides (VS)...
- Second harmonic generation microscopy for quantitative analysis of collagen fibrillar structureXiyi Chen
Department of Biomedica l Engineering, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Nat Protoc 7:654-69. 2012Second-harmonic generation (SHG) microscopy has emerged as a powerful modality for imaging fibrillar collagen in a diverse range of tissues...
- Comparison of CareStart™ HRP2/pLDH COMBO rapid malaria test with light microscopy in north-west EthiopiaBeyene Moges
Department of Immunology and Molecular Biology, School of Biomedical and Laboratory Sciences, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Gondar, 196, Gondar, Ethiopia
Malar J 11:234. 2012In Ethiopia, light microscopy is the gold standard for malaria diagnosis although it is not available in most peripheral health facilities...
- Overdiagnosis and mistreatment of malaria among febrile patients at primary healthcare level in Afghanistan: observational studyToby Leslie
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
BMJ 345:e4389. 2012..To assess the accuracy of malaria diagnosis and treatment at primary level clinics in Afghanistan...
- 3D-SIM super resolution microscopy reveals a bead-like arrangement for FtsZ and the division machinery: implications for triggering cytokinesisMichael P Strauss
The ithree Institute, University of Technology Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
PLoS Biol 10:e1001389. 2012..Conventional wide-field fluorescence microscopy depicts the Z ring as a continuous structure of uniform density...
- Gridded Aclar: preparation methods and use for correlative light and electron microscopy of cell monolayers, by TEM and FIB-SEMN Jimenez
Department of Biomolecular Imaging, Institute of Biomembranes, Utrecht University, Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Microsc 237:208-20. 2010..In this paper, we describe complete procedures to perform correlative light and electron microscopy using Aclar as substrate for the culture of cell monolayers to be finally embedded in plastic...
- Introduction of virtual microscopy in routine surgical pathology--a hypothesis and personal view from EuropeKlaus Kayser
Institute of Pathology, Charite, Charite Platz 1, D 10117, Berlin, Germany
Diagn Pathol 7:48. 2012..glass slides (Virtual slides, (VS)) and its associated software such as image storage, viewers, and virtual microscopy (VM), has matured in the recent years...
- Automated microscopy for high-content RNAi screeningChristian Conrad
Advanced Light Microscopy Core Facility, European Molecular Biology Laboratory Heidelberg, D 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
J Cell Biol 188:453-61. 2010Fluorescence microscopy is one of the most powerful tools to investigate complex cellular processes such as cell division, cell motility, or intracellular trafficking...
- Three-dimensional structured illumination microscopy of liver sinusoidal endothelial cell fenestrationsVictoria C Cogger
Centre for Education and Research on Ageing and the ANZAC Research Institute, Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney and Concord RG Hospital, Sydney 2139, Australia
J Struct Biol 171:382-8. 2010..However their small size (<200 nm) has prohibited any functional analysis by light microscopy. We employed structured illumination light microscopy to observe fenestrations in isolated rat liver sinusoidal ..
- External quality assessment of malaria microscopy in the Democratic Republic of the CongoPierre Mukadi
Institut National de Recherche Biomédicale, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Malar J 10:308. 2011..quality assessments (EQA) are an alternative to cross-checking of blood slides in the quality control of malaria microscopy. This study reports the findings of an EQA of malaria microscopy in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
- Are rapid diagnostic tests more accurate in diagnosis of plasmodium falciparum malaria compared to microscopy at rural health centres?Vincent Batwala
Department of Community Health, Mbarara University of Science and Technology P O Box 1410, Mbarara, Uganda
Malar J 9:349. 2010..Blood film microscopy the current standard test for diagnosis of malaria has several limitations that necessitate field evaluation of ..
- Surface microscopy of pigmented basal cell carcinomaS W Menzies
Department of Surgery, University of Sydney, Australia
Arch Dermatol 136:1012-6. 2000To describe the relevant morphologic features and to create a simple diagnostic method for pigmented basal cell carcinoma (BCC) using in vivo cutaneous surface microscopy (ie, dermoscopy, dermatoscopy, or oil epiluminescence microscopy).
- A review of malaria diagnostic tools: microscopy and rapid diagnostic test (RDT)Chansuda Wongsrichanalai
U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 2 NAMRU 2, Jalan Percetakan Negara No 29, Jakarta, Republic of Indonesia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:119-27. 2007..Giemsa microscopy and rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) represent the two diagnostics most likely to have the largest impact on ..
- Counting single photoactivatable fluorescent molecules by photoactivated localization microscopy (PALM)Sang Hyuk Lee
Departments of Physics, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:17436-41. 2012..molecule method for counting proteins within a diffraction-limited area when using photoactivated localization microscopy. The intrinsic blinking of photoactivatable fluorescent proteins mEos2 and Dendra2 leads to an overcounting ..
- Digital holographic microscopy reveals prey-induced changes in swimming behavior of predatory dinoflagellatesJian Sheng
Department of Mechanical Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:17512-7. 2007The shallow depth of field of conventional microscopy hampers analyses of 3D swimming behavior of fast dinoflagellates, whose motility influences macroassemblages of these cells into often-observed dense "blooms...
- A microscope automated fluidic system to study bacterial processes in real timeAdrien Ducret
Aix Marseille Universite, Laboratoire de Chimie Bactérienne UPR 9043, Institut de Microbiologie de la Méditerranée IFR 88, CNRS, 31, Chemin Joseph Aiguier, Marseille, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7282. 2009Most time lapse microscopy experiments studying bacterial processes ie growth, progression through the cell cycle and motility have been performed on thin nutrient agar pads...
- Analysis of mitosis and antimitotic drug responses in tumors by in vivo microscopy and single-cell pharmacodynamicsJames D Orth
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, Center for Systems Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cancer Res 71:4608-16. 2011..We developed high-resolution in vivo microscopy methods to visualize mitosis in a murine xenograft model of human cancer...
- High-resolution scanning x-ray diffraction microscopyPierre Thibault
Paul Scherrer Institut, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland
Science 321:379-82. 2008Coherent diffractive imaging (CDI) and scanning transmission x-ray microscopy (STXM) are two popular microscopy techniques that have evolved quite independently...
- Three-photon microscopy shows that somatic release can be a quantitatively significant component of serotonergic neurotransmission in the mammalian brainS K Kaushalya
Department of Chemical Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India
J Neurosci Res 86:3469-80. 2008..Using three-photon microscopy, we directly imaged serotonin autofluorescence and investigated the total serotonin content, release competence, ..
- Visualizing of the cellular uptake and intracellular trafficking of exosomes by live-cell microscopyTian Tian
State Key Laboratory of Bioelectronics, School of Biological Science and Medical Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing 210096, China
J Cell Biochem 111:488-96. 2010..The results of live-cell microscopy indicated that exosomes were internalized through endocytosis pathway, trapped in vesicles, and transported to ..
- Field and laboratory comparative evaluation of rapid malaria diagnostic tests versus traditional and molecular techniques in IndiaNeeru Singh
Regional Medical Research Centre for Tribals ICMR, RMRCT Campus, Nagpur Road, Jabalpur 482003, Madhya Pradesh, India
Malar J 9:191. 2010Malaria presents a diagnostic challenge in most tropical countries. Microscopy remains the gold standard for diagnosing malaria infections in clinical practice and research...
- High-throughput pooling and real-time PCR-based strategy for malaria detectionSteve M Taylor
Department of Epidemiology, Gillings School of Global Public Health, North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Clin Microbiol 48:512-9. 2010..Using a real-time PCR assay that detects all Plasmodium species, microscopy-positive samples were amplified individually; the microscopy-negative samples were amplified after pooling the ..
- Tissue specific profiling of females of Schistosoma japonicum by integrated laser microdissection microscopy and microarray analysisGeoffrey N Gobert
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Herston, Queensland, Australia
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e469. 2009..This goal is rendered difficult to achieve by the generally small size of the parasites and the lack of a body cavity, which precludes analysis of transcriptional profiles of the tissues in isolation...
- Shedding new light on lipid biology with coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopyThuc T Le
Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
J Lipid Res 51:3091-102. 2010..difficulties can be circumvented by a label-free imaging technique known as coherent anti-Stokes Raman (CARS) microscopy, which is capable of chemically selective, highly sensitive, and high-speed imaging of lipid-rich structures ..
- Operational accuracy and comparative persistent antigenicity of HRP2 rapid diagnostic tests for Plasmodium falciparum malaria in a hyperendemic region of UgandaDaniel J Kyabayinze
Malaria Consortium Africa, Plot 2, Sturrock Road, P O Box 8045, Kampala, Uganda
Malar J 7:221. 2008Parasite-based diagnosis of malaria by microscopy requires laboratory skills that are generally unavailable at peripheral health facilities...
- Test characteristics of two rapid antigen detection tests (SD FK50 and SD FK60) for the diagnosis of malaria in returned travellersMirna Van der Palen
Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences FHML, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Malar J 8:90. 2009..Two malaria rapid diagnostic tests were evaluated in a travel clinic setting: the SD FK50 Malaria Ag Plasmodium falciparum test (a two-band test) and the SD FK60 Malaria Ag P. falciparum/Pan test (a three-band test)...
- ImageJ for microscopyTony J Collins
Dept Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences, McMaster Biophotonics Facility, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Biotechniques 43:25-30. 2007..filters that allow easy access to image and meta-data, a broad suite processing and analysis routine, and enthusiastic support from a friendly mailing list are invaluable for all microscopy labs and facilities-not just those on a budget.
- Label-free imaging of lipid dynamics using Coherent Anti-stokes Raman Scattering (CARS) and Stimulated Raman Scattering (SRS) microscopyAndrew Folick
Huffington Center on Aging, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Curr Opin Genet Dev 21:585-90. 2011The recently developed Coherent Anti-stokes Raman Scattering (CARS) microscopy and Stimulated Raman Scattering (SRS) microscopy have provided new methods to visualize the localization and regulation of biological molecules without the use ..
- Vibrational imaging of newly synthesized proteins in live cells by stimulated Raman scattering microscopyLu Wei
Department of Chemistry, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:11226-31. 2013..an imaging technique to visualize nascent proteins by harnessing the emerging stimulated Raman scattering (SRS) microscopy coupled with metabolic incorporation of deuterium-labeled amino acids...
- Smart-phone based computational microscopy using multi-frame contact imaging on a fiber-optic arrayIsa Navruz
Electrical Engineering Department, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Lab Chip 13:4015-23. 2013We demonstrate a cellphone based contact microscopy platform, termed Contact Scope, which can image highly dense or connected samples in transmission mode...
- Beta2-adrenergic receptor redistribution in heart failure changes cAMP compartmentationViacheslav O Nikolaev
Department of Cardiac Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, Dovehouse Street, London SW3 6LY, UK
Science 327:1653-7. 2010..We combined nanoscale live-cell scanning ion conductance and fluorescence resonance energy transfer microscopy techniques and found that, in cardiomyocytes from healthy adult rats and mice, spatially confined beta2AR-..
- Simple dark-field microscopy with nanometer spatial precision and microsecond temporal resolutionHiroshi Ueno
Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
Biophys J 98:2014-23. 2010..1-mus temporal resolution. Because of the simple optics, this system will be applicable to various biophysical studies requiring high spatial and temporal resolution in vitro and also in vivo...
- Comparative diagnosis of malaria infections by microscopy, nested PCR, and LAMP in northern ThailandBirgit Pöschl
Medical and Molecular Parasitology Laboratory, University of Cologne, Medical School, Center of Anatomy, Institute II, Cologne, Germany
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:56-60. 2010Three methods, microscopy, nested polymerase chain reaction (nPCR), and loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) have been applied for malaria diagnosis in 105 human blood samples collected in Northern Thailand...
- Microscopic-observation drug susceptibility and thin layer agar assays for the detection of drug resistant tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysisJessica Minion
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Lancet Infect Dis 10:688-98. 2010..We did a systematic review and meta-analysis to investigate the accuracy of microscopic-observation drug susceptibility (MODS) and thin layer agar (TLA) assays for rapid screening of patients at risk of drug-resistant tuberculosis...
- Subwavelength-resolution label-free photoacoustic microscopy of optical absorption in vivoChi Zhang
Optical Imaging Laboratory, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Washington University in St Louis, One Brookings Drive, St Louis, Missouri 63130, USA
Opt Lett 35:3195-7. 2010..Optical absorption provides essential biological functional information but cannot be sensed by mainstream optical microscopy technologies directly, which detect fluorescence or scattering and may require undesirable labeling...
- Informed decision-making before changing to RDT: a comparison of microscopy, rapid diagnostic test and molecular techniques for the diagnosis and identification of malaria parasites in Kassala, eastern SudanMamoun M M Osman
Faculty of Medicine, Kassala University, Kassala, Sudan
Trop Med Int Health 15:1442-8. 2010..The question arises whether laboratories where the current method of diagnosis is microscopy should also switch to RDT...
- Automated tracing of neurites from light microscopy stacks of imagesPaarth Chothani
Department of Physics and Center for Interdisciplinary Research on Complex Systems, Northeastern University, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Neuroinformatics 9:263-78. 2011..In this study we examine the methodology for circuit reconstruction from three-dimensional light microscopy (LM) stacks of images...
- A multi-country non-inferiority cluster randomized trial of frontloaded smear microscopy for the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosisLuis Eduardo Cuevas
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 8:e1000443. 2011More than 50 million people around the world are investigated for tuberculosis using sputum smear microscopy annually. This process requires repeated visits and patients often drop out.
- A European network for virtual microscopy--design, implementation and evaluation of performanceMikael Lundin
Department of Oncology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Virchows Arch 454:421-9. 2009Web-based virtual microscopy has enabled new applications within pathology. Here, we introduce and evaluate a network of academic servers, designed to maximize image accessibility to users from all regions of Europe...
- Critical appraisal of current recommendations and practices for tuberculosis sputum smear microscopyC Gilpin
International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 11:946-52. 2007This report is the consensus-based, agreed position of the participants in a workshop for experts in sputum smear microscopy organised in August 2005 by the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and as ..
- Self-organization of the Escherichia coli chemotaxis network imaged with super-resolution light microscopyDerek Greenfield
Biophysics Graduate Group, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, California, United States of America
PLoS Biol 7:e1000137. 2009..Here, we use photoactivated localization microscopy (PALM) to map the cellular locations of three proteins central to bacterial chemotaxis (the Tar receptor, CheY, ..
- Rapid diagnostic tests compared with malaria microscopy for guiding outpatient treatment of febrile illness in Tanzania: randomised trialHugh Reyburn
Department of Infectious and Tropical Disease, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London WCIE 7HT
BMJ 334:403. 2007To compare rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) for malaria with routine microscopy in guiding treatment decisions for febrile patients.
- A progressive declining in the burden of malaria in north-eastern TanzaniaBruno P Mmbando
National Institute for Medical Research, Tanga Centre, Tanga, Tanzania
Malar J 9:216. 2010..Recently, it has been reported that the burden of malaria in some parts of Africa has declined. However, community-based longitudinal data are sparse and the reasons for the apparent decline are not well understood...
- Microscopic diagnosis of sodium acetate-acetic acid-formalin-fixed stool samples for helminths and intestinal protozoa: a comparison among European reference laboratoriesJ Utzinger
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:267-73. 2010..Continued external quality assessment and the establishment of a formal network of reference laboratories is necessary to further enhance both accuracy and uniformity in parasite diagnosis...
- Compact, light-weight and cost-effective microscope based on lensless incoherent holography for telemedicine applicationsOnur Mudanyali
Electrical Engineering Department, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Lab Chip 10:1417-28. 2010Despite the rapid progress in optical imaging, most of the advanced microscopy modalities still require complex and costly set-ups that unfortunately limit their use beyond well equipped laboratories...
- Evaluation of a rapid diagnostic test (CareStart Malaria HRP-2/pLDH (Pf/pan) Combo Test) for the diagnosis of malaria in a reference settingJessica Maltha
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences FHML, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Malar J 9:171. 2010....
- Web-based virtual microscopy in teaching and standardizing Gleason gradingHenrik Helin
Institute of Medical Technology, Tampere University and University Hospital, 33014 Tampere, Finland
Hum Pathol 36:381-6. 2005..However, conventional microscopy images are of limited educational value because it is neither possible to view the sample at different ..
- Dendritic spine abnormalities in amyloid precursor protein transgenic mice demonstrated by gene transfer and intravital multiphoton microscopyTara L Spires
Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
J Neurosci 25:7278-87. 2005..Decreased spine density will likely contribute to altered neural system function and behavioral impairments observed in Tg2576 mice...
- Impact of training in clinical and microscopy diagnosis of childhood malaria on antimalarial drug prescription and health outcome at primary health care level in Tanzania: a randomized controlled trialBilly Ngasala
Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Malar J 7:199. 2008..The impact of microscopy-based versus clinical-based diagnosis of childhood malaria was assessed at primary health care (PHC) facilities ..
- Sample drift correction in 3D fluorescence photoactivation localization microscopyMichael J Mlodzianoski
Department of Cell Biology, Yale School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Opt Express 19:15009-19. 2011The recent development of diffraction-unlimited far-field fluorescence microscopy has overcome the classical resolution limit of ~250 nm of conventional light microscopy by about a factor of ten...
- Low quality of routine microscopy for malaria at different levels of the health system in Dar es SalaamJudith Kahama-Maro
City Medical Office of Health, Dar es Salaam City Council, P O Box 63320, Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania
Malar J 10:332. 2011..In this study, the following parameters were evaluated: (1) the quality of routine microscopy, and (2) the effects of RDT implementation on the positivity rate of malaria test results at three levels of the ..
- Which malaria rapid test for Madagascar? Field and laboratory evaluation of three tests and expert microscopy of samples from suspected malaria patients in MadagascarArsène Ratsimbasoa
Epidemiology Unit, and Malaria Unit Research, Institut Pasteur de Madagascar, Antananarivo, Madagascar
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:481-5. 2007..Compared with microscopy, the sensitivity of the three tests to detect Plasmodium falciparum malaria was 97% for the CareStart Malaria ..
- Microscopic observation drug susceptibility assay, a rapid, reliable diagnostic test for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis suitable for use in resource-poor settingsDavid A J Moore
Laboratorio de Investigación de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, San Martin de Porras, Lima, Peru
J Clin Microbiol 42:4432-7. 2004..A comprehensive prospective evaluation of MODS is under way in Perú, and independent validation in nonresearch laboratories should be undertaken at the earliest opportunity...
- Detection of waterborne parasites using field-portable and cost-effective lensfree microscopyOnur Mudanyali
Electrical Engineering Department, UCLA, CA 90095, USA
Lab Chip 10:2419-23. 2010....
- Virtual microscopy in pathology educationFred R Dee
Department of Pathology, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Hum Pathol 40:1112-21. 2009..it was not until the late 1990s that desktop computers had enough processing speed to commercialize virtual microscopy and apply the technology to education...
- Plasmodium falciparum parasite infection prevalence from a household survey in Zambia using microscopy and a rapid diagnostic test: implications for monitoring and evaluationJoseph Keating
Department of International Health and Development, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA, 70112, United States of America
Acta Trop 112:277-82. 2009..The sensitivity and specificity of an HRP-2 rapid diagnostic test (RDT) (ICT Malaria Pf((R))) compared to microscopy, as well as factors associated with discordant diagnostic results are also presented. P...
- Magnifying endoscopy, stereoscopic microscopy, and the microvascular architecture of superficial esophageal carcinomaY Kumagai
First Department of Surgery, Tokyo Medical and Dental University School of Medicine, Japan
Endoscopy 34:369-75. 2002In this study we clarify the microvascular architecture of superficial esophageal carcinoma as observed by ultra-high magnification endoscopy and stereoscopic microscopy with Microfil injection.
- A large proportion of asymptomatic Plasmodium infections with low and sub-microscopic parasite densities in the low transmission setting of Temotu Province, Solomon Islands: challenges for malaria diagnostics in an elimination settingIvor Harris
Australian Army Malaria Institute, Weary Dunlop Drive, Gallipoli Barracks Enoggera, QLD 4051, Australia
Malar J 9:254. 2010....
- Correlated light and electron cryo-microscopyAriane Briegel
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, California Boulevard, Pasadena, California, USA
Methods Enzymol 481:317-41. 2010Light and electron cryo-microscopy have each proven to be powerful tools to study biological structures in a near-native state...
- Mass blood survey for malaria: pooling and real-time PCR combined with expert microscopy in north-west ThailandKanungnit Congpuong
Bureau of Vector Borne Diseases, Ministry of Public Health, Nonthaburi, Thailand
Malar J 11:288. 2012..Asymptomatic carriage of Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax is common in both low-and high-transmission settings and represents an important reservoir of infection that needs to be targeted if malaria elimination is to succeed...
- Label-free evaluation of hepatic microvesicular steatosis with multimodal coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopyThuc T Le
Desert Research Institute, Las Vegas, NV, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e51092. 2012..In this paper, we explore the use of multimodal coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering (CARS) microscopy for the detection and characterization of hepatic microvesicular steatosis...
- Measuring apoptosis by microscopy and flow cytometryConor M Henry
Molecular Cell Biology Laboratory, Department of Genetics, The Smurfit Institute, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
Methods 61:90-7. 2013..Here, we highlight a number of assays, utilizing both microscopy and flow cytometry, to determine whether cells have undergone apoptosis or alternative modes of cell death.
- Mobile phone microscopy for the diagnosis of soil-transmitted helminth infections: a proof-of-concept studyIsaac I Bogoch
Divisions of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Trop Med Hyg 88:626-9. 2013..microscope and assessed its accuracy for the diagnosis of soil-transmitted helminths compared with conventional microscopy. Mobile phone microscopy has a sensitivity of 69.4% for detecting any helminth egg and sensitivities of 81...
- Imaging fully hydrated whole cells by coherent x-ray diffraction microscopyDaewoong Nam
RIKEN SPring 8 Center, 1 1 1 Kouto, Sayo, Hyogo 679 5148, Japan
Phys Rev Lett 110:098103. 2013..Here we introduce wet coherent x-ray diffraction microscopy capable of imaging fully hydrated and unstained biological specimens...
- Expanding multimodal microscopy by high spectral resolution coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering imaging for clinical disease diagnosticsTobias Meyer
Institute of Photonic Technology Jena, Jena, Germany
Anal Chem 85:6703-15. 2013..Coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering (CARS) microscopy on the other hand can potentially be added to SHG and TPEF to visualize a much broader range of marker molecules...
- An automatic method for robust and fast cell detection in bright field images from high-throughput microscopyFelix Buggenthin
Institute of Computational Biology, Helmholtz Center Munich, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
BMC Bioinformatics 14:297. 2013In recent years, high-throughput microscopy has emerged as a powerful tool to analyze cellular dynamics in an unprecedentedly high resolved manner...
- High-efficiency localization of Na(+)-K(+) ATPases on the cytoplasmic side by direct stochastic optical reconstruction microscopyJiazhen Wu
State Key Laboratory of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changchun, Jilin 130022, P R China
Nanoscale 5:11582-6. 2013..mapping Na(+)-K(+) ATPases on the cytoplasmic side of cell membranes by direct stochastic optical reconstruction microscopy (dSTORM)...
- An improved chamber for direct visualisation of chemotaxisAndrew J Muinonen-Martin
CRUK Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, Glasgow, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e15309. 2010..In conclusion, the chamber satisfies our design criteria, most importantly allowing high NA oil immersion microscopy to track chemotaxing cancer cells in detail over 24 hours.
- Chemical imaging of tissue in vivo with video-rate coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopyConor L Evans
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16807-12. 2005..In vivo microscopy based on vibrational spectroscopic contrast offers a unique approach for visualizing tissue architecture with ..
- Genetic variation and regulatory networks: Mechanisms and complexityDANA PE ER; Fiscal Year: 2009..These tools will be made publicly available, including a friendly graphical user interface and visualization. ..
- Novel TIRF microscopy analyzing trafficking & signaling at the cell cortexDerek Toomre; Fiscal Year: 2009..Consistent with the recovery act's goal, this funding will provide full-time summer employment for 4 undergraduate students and accelerate scientific achievement of the parent DP2 award...
- Mapping for Specialized Domains for FCeRI Signaling &InternalizationBridget S Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have used a combination of high resolution microscopy techniques and lipidomics to show that IgE receptors localize to distinct microdomains in the plasma membrane ..
- Qinghua Sun; Fiscal Year: 2015..response in macrophages is central to adipose inflammation and dysfunction by flow sorting and laser capture microscopy and assessed for indices for ER stress and apoptosis, mitochondria content, expression of key-mitochondrial ..
- Emilio B Gonzalez; Fiscal Year: 2014..and TF expression in aortas of mice (using quantum dot nano crystals and two-photon excitation laser scanning microscopy), cytokine upregulation (using a Multiplex/Luminex platform system), TF function in carotid artery homogenates ..
- Ang II and Aldosterone Effects on Insulin Resistance in Cardiovascular TissueJAMES RUSSELL SOWERS; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will also employ direct visualization of skeletal muscle arterioles using video microscopy to evaluate insulin induced nitric oxide dependent vasodilation...
- CRF-Oxytocin Interaction in the Regulation of Stress and AffectJoanna Dabrowska; Fiscal Year: 2013..used to directly address these questions: SA1) adenoviral-based neuronal tracing studies combined with confocal microscopy, SA2) in vitro whole-cell patch-clamp electrophysiological recordings from OT neurons in the PVN, SA3) in vivo ..
- Role of Txnip in adapting fuel metabolism to nutritional stateSIMON HUI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Electron microscopy will be used to detect alterations in mitochondrial ultrastructure...
- Stephen E McGowan; Fiscal Year: 2016..Laser scanning confocal microscopy (LSCM) and stereology will be used to analyze ingress of LF and pericytes and their association with alveolar ..
- Inhibition of human neutrophil function by Francisella tularensisLee Ann H Allen; Fiscal Year: 2012..utilize chemiluminescence fluorescence and other biochemical assays to quantify reactive oxygen species;confocal microscopy to localize NADPH oxidase components;immunofluorescence microscopy and immuno-electron microscopy to assess ..
- RALPH FRANK FREGOSI; Fiscal Year: 2016..This hypothesis will be tested by filling motoneurons with dyes, and using 3-dimensional confocal microscopy to reconstruct the motoneuron cell body and dendritic tree, followed by detailed measures of somatic and ..
- Terence S Dermody; Fiscal Year: 2015..JAM-A and JAM-A-associated proteins following reovirus infection of polarized endothelial cells using confocal microscopy and subcellular fractionation...
- Rac GTPase signaling during embryonic salivary gland branching morphogenesisSharon Sequeira; Fiscal Year: 2012..examine Rac1 function in the mouse embryonic submandibular salivary gland and live time-lapse or fixed confocal microscopy to image the dynamics of branching morphogenesis and apico-basal polarity...
- SAMI FOUAD NOUJAIM; Fiscal Year: 2014..To achieve my aims, I will use a multidisciplinary approach, involving fluorescence microscopy, chemiluminescence, NMR spectroscopy, X-ray crystallography and electrophysiology...
- Structural and molecular basis of drug-induced IKACh reductionSAMI FOUAD NOUJAIM; Fiscal Year: 2012..To achieve my aims, I will use a multidisciplinary approach, involving fluorescence microscopy, chemiluminescence, NMR spectroscopy, X-ray crystallography and electrophysiology...
- Role for Na,K-ATPase in Nucleoplasmic Calcium HomeostasisCraig Gatto; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will combine strategies from molecular biology, cell physiology, biochemistry, electrophysiology and confocal microscopy to accomplish our scientific goals...
- Steroid Responsive Mechanisms in the EarDENNIS ROYAL TRUNE; Fiscal Year: 2012..response audiometry and endocochlear potential;2) inner ear morphology will be assessed by light and electron microscopy;3) systemic autoimmune disease will be assessed by serum immune complexes, hematocrits, and antinuclear ..
- Monitoring cellular redox signaling and oxidant stress in vivoPaul T Schumacker; Fiscal Year: 2010..Two-photon microscopy will be used to assess the redox status of the subcellular targeted RoGFP proteins in vivo...
- JAMES FRANCIS MCGINNIS; Fiscal Year: 2015..specific genes involved in oxidative stress, inflammation and neovascularization will be analyzed using confocal microscopy, Western blots and PCR arrays...
- BONE MATRIX AND BONE RESORPTIONPaul R Odgren; Fiscal Year: 2012..investigate the protein complex that includes plekhm1 and Rab7 by a combination of confocal and immunoelectron microscopy, IP and pull-down assays, microtubule disruption, protein crosslinking and high-sensitivity mass ..
- Novel Peptide MPO Inhibitors for Treating AtherosclerosisKirkwood A Pritchard; Fiscal Year: 2012..Atherosclerotic lesion formation will be determined histologically using immunofluorescence and confocal microscopy. Successful completion of the proposed studies will result in the development of a new class of non-toxic MPO ..
- ARNULF HANS WERNER KOEPPEN; Fiscal Year: 2014..This research also utilizes advanced slide technology such as double-label immunofluorescence microscopy to quantify nerve cell damage and loss of synaptic terminals in regions of increased iron;and electron ..
- Tissue-specific delivery of probes by control of membrane trafficking of endoprotBlake Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2010..linked peptides arrayed as 512 pools of eight peptides each will be screened using confocal laser scanning microscopy after microinjection of the nematode C. elegans...
- John W Wiley; Fiscal Year: 2016..neurons will be identified using both immunohistochemical markers with retrograde labeling and laser capture microscopy to harvest distinct populations of DRG neurons in conjunction with quantitative single-cell PCR of relevant ..
- Regulation of the Vibrio cholerae intestinal exit planANISIA J SILVA BENITEZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..of approaches such as bacterial genetics, chromatin immunoprecipitation (ChIP), ChiP-sequencing, confocal microscopy and animal models. In Aim 1, we will determine the regulatory interactions that trigger V...
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THE ENDOTHELIUMFrancis W Luscinskas; Fiscal Year: 2013..of mouse tissues;Core C (Physiological and Molecular Imaging) will support intravital and confocal microscopy studies as well as in vitro leukocyte-endothelial adhesion studies under defined flow conditions...
- Present Homologous and Heterologous Antigen with Hepatitis E VirusR Holland Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed experiments in this application include 1) using cryo-electron microscopy and image reconstruction to identify HEV-VLP surface flexible loops that critical to antibody interactions;2 ..
- Mechanism-Based Discovery of Protectants Against Iron-Dependant Oxidative InjuryJUSTIN M SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..Through use of chelators and confocal microscopy of iron- and calcium-indicating fluorophores, the specific roles of iron and calcium uptake to mitochondrial ..
- Fredric B Kraemer; Fiscal Year: 2016..Advances in our understanding of LD metabolism have been made through a variety of approaches, including microscopy, proteomics, and genome-wide screens...
- CHARLES RICHARD STEELE; Fiscal Year: 2016..This will be tested using micro-CT imaging, cryogenic transmission electron microscopy, optical second harmonic generation, hinging and twisting motion measurements with a laser Doppler vibrometer, ..
- Nitric Oxide Restoration &Heme Detoxification as Adjunctive Therapies for CerebrLEONARDO JOSE DE MOURA CARVALHO; Fiscal Year: 2012..addition, the effect of the successful treatments on the brain microcirculation will be assessed by intravital microscopy and the expression of eNOS, nNOS, iNOS and HO-1will be determined...
- Air Pollution on Adiposity and Vascular Dysfunction: White or Brown Matters?Qinghua Sun; Fiscal Year: 2010..mitochondria content, adipocyte hyperplasia and hypertrophy, and vascular growth in the fat tissues, intravital microscopy to illustrate microvascular function and leukocyte trafficking, and myograph to investigate macrovascular ..
- Brian Wong; Fiscal Year: 2014..we will optimize the technology in a New Zealand white rabbit model of SGS and compare OCT with conventional microscopy. Then, we will image the subglottic airway in 200 intubated neonates at the UC Irvine-Children's of ..
- Nuclear-Cytoplasmic Shuttling of Foxc2 via 14-3-3 Determines Proximal Tubule CellDIANA LYNNE GOLDEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will use [unreadable]-actinin and paxillin staining (focal adhesions) viewed and quantified by confocal microscopy. Cell migration will be monitored by wounding/sheet assays...
- Characterizing TLR Function of Human Dendritic Cells in the ElderlyAlexander Panda; Fiscal Year: 2012..The PI will employ cell biology techniques including pulse-chase experiments, confocal microscopy and fluorescence resonance energy transfer to evaluate age-associated changes in the kinetics of TLR1 surface ..
- Phillip Darwin Bell; Fiscal Year: 2016..Light and electron microscopy will be used to study cystic development and assess pathological changes in kidney and other organs and in cell ..
- Phosphotyrosine signaling pathways controlling tracheal tube geometryKAI G ZINN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Because this is a time-consuming screen, requiring quantitative analysis of individual embryos using confocal microscopy, we will reduce the numbers of lines that need to be screened by using a 'phenotypic screening kit'of ..
- MELINDA ANN FRYE; Fiscal Year: 2014..Additional resources will allow HPLC, mass spectrometry, electron microscopy, genomic analyses, advanced immunohistochemistry studies and MRI. Drs...
- LIVER PRESERVATION FOR TRANSPLANTATIONJohn J Lemasters; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our studies utilize the emerging technology of intravital multiphoton microscopy to visualize parameter- indicating fluorophores inside individual hepatocytes and their organelles in liver ..
- PET Imaging of Myocardial Oxidative Stress in T2DMKOORESH ISAAC SHOGHI; Fiscal Year: 2013..ROS and a physiological model based on results from Specific Aim 2-by correlation to optical and confocal microscopy measurements...
- Pilot Studies of the Effect of Aging on Mucociliary ClearanceLawrence E Ostrowski; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ciliary beat frequency (CBF) will be measured by video microscopy in the trachea and nasal cavity of 3, 6, 12, and 24 month old mice...
- RSK-2 regulates integrin-mediated adhesion and migrationJOE WILLIAM RAMOS; Fiscal Year: 2013..These aims will be pursued in tissue culture cells using flow cytometry, confocal microscopy, immunofluorescence, molecular biology, and biochemistry...
- Neuropeptide regulation of neurohypophyseal functionFrancis W Flynn; Fiscal Year: 2012..by VP magnocellular neurons were shown to be translocated from the cell membrane to the cell nucleus by confocal microscopy, immuno-electron microscopy and Western blot. Nuclear NK3R was not detected under basal conditions...
- Mechanisms of Angiogenesis in Retinopathy of PrematurityMary Elizabeth Hartnett; Fiscal Year: 2009..Methods include: confocal microscopy of retinal flat mounts to visualize endothelial cells at the junction of vascular and avascular retina, to ..
- Imaging Nonlinear Absorption of Biomarkers for Improved Detection of MelanomaWarren S Warren; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specifically, we will apply a novel imaging technology (transient absorption microscopy) to image melanins and hemoglobins in developing skin lesions, in both fixed and live skin...
- Dual-Receptor Targeted Nanoparticles for Photodynamic Therapy of Brain CancerAnn Marie Broome; Fiscal Year: 2013..experimental techniques, including silver enhancement immunohistochemistry, real time confocal laser scanning microscopy, and transmission electron microscopy...
- SAMUEL BRANDON STEPHENS; Fiscal Year: 2015..e. insulin secretion) ultrastructural characterization of insulin defects in my model va the Duke Electron Microscopy Core facility will have great impact on my knowledge and skill set as an islet cell biologist. Drs...
- Local Calcium Signaling in Pulmonary ArteriesJAMES SK SHAM; Fiscal Year: 2012..apply a combination of state-of-the-art techniques including whole-cell patch clamp, laser-scanning confocal microscopy, and UV-pulse laser flash photolysis, siRNA, and CD38 knockout mice to determine (1) the Ca2+ signals and ..
- MARY ELIZABETH RUTH HARTNETT; Fiscal Year: 2016..Methods include: confocal microscopy of retinal flat mounts to visualize endothelial cells at the junction of vascular and avascular retina to ..
- Dopamine's Role in the Rapid Estradiol Enhancement of Excitatory SynapsesCAROLINE COFER SMITH HAMILTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..While I have gained invaluable skills using electrophysiology, immunohistochemistry, confocal microscopy, and stereotactic surgery to address key questions, I have little experience using molecular and biochemical ..
- Dynamics of Kinesins, Dyneins, and MyosinsPaul R Selvin; Fiscal Year: 2010..as a function of insertion length of the cargo-binding domain of myosin VI (with L. Sweeney, UPenn.). d) Technological developments: Optics/microscopy needs to be achieved to fulfill the above goals.
- New Rapid Diagnostic Tests for AmebiasisJOEL F HERBEIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Accurate diagnosis of infection by fecal microscopy, antigen testing, PCR, or IFA leads to successful treatment and full recovery...
- SAMUEL WHEELER FRENCH; Fiscal Year: 2015..We confirmed an NS5A/HSP interaction by confocal microscopy and coimmunoprecipitation...
- Brain Delivery of Nanoformulated Superoxide DismutaseErin G Rosenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2013..using fluorescently-labeled SOD-nano, inhibitors of clathrin and/or caveolae- mediated endocytosis, and confocal microscopy. In Specific Aim 2, immunohistochemical analysis of brain and other tissues and whole animal in vivo imaging ..
- Insights from Comparative Genomics for the Treatment of Pneumococcal InfectionsNatalia Luisa Hiller; Fiscal Year: 2011..for DNA sequencing, comparative genomic hybridization, computational biology, and confocal laser scanning microscopy. In summary, this project, combined with the outstanding personnel and facilities resources available at the CGS,..
- Cellular and Molecular Regulation of ThrombopoiesisRamesh A Shivdasani; Fiscal Year: 2012..In Specific Aim 1 we propose critical tests of these hypotheses. We will use multi-photon intravital microscopy to visualize platelet release in living Myh9-null mice, and biochemical and functional analysis of signal ..
- Amelioration of cisplatin ototoxicity by transplatinDebashree Mukherjea; Fiscal Year: 2010..responses (ABRs) and by assessing the morphology of cochlear inner and outer hair cells, using scanning electron microscopy (SEM)...
- KATHERINE YUDEH KING; Fiscal Year: 2014..I will gain expertise in biostatistics, research conduct and ethics, and state-of-the-art technology in microscopy and flow cytometry...
- Neuropeptide modulation of biogenic amine function and aggression in a crustaceanMaria A Sosa; Fiscal Year: 2013..quantitation before and after injections of agents of interest, CNS dissection, immunohistochemistry, confocal microscopy, hemolymph sampling and quantitative mass spectrometry...
- Imbalances in Calcium Homeostasis: Mechanism Behind Ethanol-Related Dendritic DegCynthia A Dlugos; Fiscal Year: 2010..Levels of the SERCA 2b ATPase pump and calreticulin will be assessed with confocal microscopy, and fluorescence intensity correlation after treatment durations of 10, 20 or 40 weeks in proximal and distal ..
- Bingmei M Fu; Fiscal Year: 2014..Specific aims are: 1) use quantitative fluorescence video and confocal microscopy to determine the adhesion rates of normal, non-malignant (MCF-10A), and malignant (AU-565) breast epithelial ..
- Michael J Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2016..Assessments will be made by scanning electron microscopy, auditory brainstem response testing, and immunohistochemical assays...
- James E Gern; Fiscal Year: 2016..John Yin will use novel techniques (fluorescent-tagged HRVs and indicator cell lines, real-time fluorescent microscopy) to reveal how HRV replication in single cells stimulates immune responses and define mechanisms of spread to ..
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardKarl Deisseroth; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Sub-Wavelength Imaging of Intracellular Metal IonsJoseph R Lakowicz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Fluorescence microscopy is one of the most widely used methods in the biological sciences...
- Live cell imaging of IgH and c-Myc gene loci and the role of nuclear organizationMark T Groudine; Fiscal Year: 2010..the IgH and c-Myc loci will be imaged in live cells using 4D (3 dimensions over time) fluorescence microscopy. A major challenge in the field of nuclear structure and function has been to uncover the mechanisms underlying ..
- Novel Use of Confocal Microscopy on Cultured Porcine Corneas for Pre-Clinical TesMichelle Piehl; Fiscal Year: 2011..to potentially predict human eye sting due to measurement of individual cell death per tissue volume by confocal microscopy. The PorFocal uses waste porcine corneas from the meat industry to assay individual corneal cell death with high ..
- Reading the histone code:nanoscale morphology of Epigneomic Histone ModificationsM Mitchell Smith; Fiscal Year: 2010..The resolution of light microscopy is limited by diffraction, and the resolution of electron microscopy is limited by lack of contrast...
- Scimagix Web-Based Scientific Image Management SystemDouglas Hanson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Digital imaging sources at Forsyth include, but are not limited to, EM and TEM, confocal laser scanning microscopy (CLSM), laser capture microdissection microscopy, atomic force microscopy, microradiography, digital still and ..
- Real time imaging of the aqueous outflow pathway by two-photon endoscopyHiroshi Nakamura; Fiscal Year: 2009..In order to resolve these questions, novel imaging techniques are needed. Two-photon laser scanning microscopy is a promising imaging technique that has many advantages over conventional techniques, including higher ..