- Measurement of intestinal cholesterol absorption by plasma and fecal dual-isotope ratio, mass balance, and lymph fistula methods in the mouse: an analysis of direct versus indirect methodologies
David Q H Wang
Gastroenterology Division, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Lipid Res 44:1042-59. 2003
..In the present study, we adapted four standard methods, one direct (lymph collection) and three indirect (plasma and fecal dual-isotope ratio, and sterol balance) ..
- Suicide in Blantyre, Malawi (2000-2003)
Charles P Dzamalala
College of Medicine, University of Malawi, Private Bag 360, Blantyre 3, Malawi Mwanza District Hospital, Ministry of Health, Post Office Box 80, Mwanza, Malawi
J Clin Forensic Med 13:65-9. 2006
..This audit highlights a need for investigations into the sale and use of agricultural pesticides. A prospective study of social and demographic factors around suicide should be undertaken to target groups at highest risk...
- Epidemiology of suicide by hanging in Transkei, South Africa
Dip HIV AIDS Management Stellenbosch, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Transkei, Umtata, South Africa
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 27:75-8. 2006
..4:1. The 2 youngest suicide victims were also males aged 9 years. Peak of these hangings is in May and November and least in September. There is increasing trend of hanging especially among young adults between 20 and 29 years old...
- Toxicologic findings in suicide: a 10-year retrospective review of Kentucky medical examiner cases
Lisa B E Shields
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 27:106-12. 2006
..4%, 37.4%, and 29.2% of the subjects, respectively. The collection of these data serves the goals of public health and clinicians in devising strategies for suicide prevention...
- Methods for the thematic synthesis of qualitative research in systematic reviews
EPPI Centre, Social Science Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London, UK
BMC Med Res Methodol 8:45. 2008
..In response to this, methods for undertaking these syntheses are currently being developed...
- The tandem affinity purification (TAP) method: a general procedure of protein complex purification
European Molecular Biology Laboratory Meyerhofstrasse 1, Heidelberg, D-69117, Germany
Methods 24:218-29. 2001
Identification of components present in biological complexes requires their purification to near homogeneity. Methods of purification vary from protein to protein, making it impossible to design a general purification strategy valid for ..
- Methods for exploring heterogeneity in meta-analysis
University of Birmingham
Eval Health Prof 24:126-51. 2001
..This article reviews methods used in meta-analysis for exploring heterogeneity, including statistical tests for homogeneity, methods for ..
- Comparative methods for association studies: a case study on metabolite variation in a Brassica rapa core collection
Dunia Pino Del Carpio
Laboratory of Plant Breeding, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 6:e19624. 2011
..The rapid availability of large datasets makes it necessary to explore statistical methods that can be computationally less intensive and more flexible for data exploration.
- Methods of assessment of selenium status in humans: a systematic review
School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, The University of East Anglia, Norwich, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 89:2025S-2039S. 2009
..To understand the effect of selenium intake on health, it is important to identify sensitive and population-specific biomarkers of selenium status...
- A comprehensive assessment of methods for de-novo reverse-engineering of genome-scale regulatory networks
Center for Health Informatics and Bioinformatics, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Genomics 97:7-18. 2011
..While many methods have been recently developed for this task, their absolute and relative performance remains poorly understood...
- Global DNA methylation: comparison of enzymatic- and non-enzymatic-based methods
Monica S Rocha
Metabolism and Genetics Group Met and Gen Group, Institute for Medicines and Pharmaceutical Sciences iMed UL, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Lisbon, Portugal
Clin Chem Lab Med 48:1793-8. 2010
The most frequently used methods for measuring global DNA methylation are based on two different principles: the use of methylation-sensitive restriction endonucleases followed by analysis of the obtained fragments, or the hydrolysis of ..
- Evaluation of different methods detecting intracellular generation of free radicals
Department of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, Centre of Cardiovascular Research, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Mol Cell Biochem 328:167-76. 2009
..Superoxide production was confirmed by a specific histochemical method using Mn(2+). All methods demonstrated higher production of ROS in older cells...
- Oxidative degradations of reactive blue 4 dye by different advanced oxidation methods
Department of Chemistry, Arts and Sciences Faculty, Mersin University, Mersin, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 168:129-36. 2009
..The most efficient method for mineralization of RB4 was WPO, but in all methods TOC removal efficiency was above 75% after 60 min of treatment.
- Characterization of global yeast quantitative proteome data generated from the wild-type and glucose repression saccharomyces cerevisiae strains: the comparison of two quantitative methods
BioCentrum DTU, Technical University of Denmark, Kgs Lyngby, Denmark
J Proteome Res 7:266-75. 2008
..The functional categorization of the relative protein expression differences that occur in Snf1-deficient strains uncovers a wide range of biological processes regulated by this important cellular kinase...
- Methods for equivalence and noninferiority testing
Gisela Tunes da Silva
Department of Statistics, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 15:120-7. 2009
..The methods are illustrated on 2 recent studies in hematopoietic cell transplantation.
- Using population-based cancer registry data to assess the burden of human papillomavirus-associated cancers in the United States: overview of methods
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Cancer 113:2841-54. 2008
..This article describes methods used to assess the burden of HPV-associated cervical, vulvar, vaginal, penile, anal, and oral cavity/..
- The development of clinical practice guidelines and guidance statements of the American College of Physicians: summary of methods
American College of Physicians, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106, USA
Ann Intern Med 153:194-9. 2010
..All ACP clinical practice guidelines and clinical guidance statements, if not updated, are considered automatically withdrawn or invalid 5 years after publication or once an update has been issued...
- Identifying drugs that cause acute thrombocytopenia: an analysis using 3 distinct methods
Jessica A Reese
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, College of Public Health, The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73190, USA
Blood 116:2127-33. 2010
..To provide a resource for diagnosis of DITP and for drug safety surveillance, we analyzed 3 distinct methods for identifying drugs that may cause thrombocytopenia...
- Comparison of platelet aggregability and P-selectin surface expression on platelets isolated by different methods
Department of Biophysics, Medical University of Lodz, Poland
Thromb Res 99:495-502. 2000
Three methods commonly used for isolation of blood platelets from plasma were compared. Platelets were isolated by: 1) a washing method; 2) a method of metrizamide-gradient centrifugation; 3) a modified method of gel-filtration...
- Comparison of three methods for isolation of urinary microvesicles to identify biomarkers of nephrotic syndrome
Ilse M Rood
Department of Nephrology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Kidney Int 78:810-6. 2010
..or nanomembrane ultrafiltration from normal urine; however, little is known about the efficiency of these methods in isolating microvesicles from patients with nephrotic-range proteinuria...
- Methods of assessment of zinc status in humans: a systematic review
Nicola M Lowe
Centre for Applied Sport and Exercise Sciences, School of Psychology, The University of Central Lancashire, Preston, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 89:2040S-2051S. 2009
..The search for a reliable, sensitive, and specific index of zinc status has been the subject of considerable research, which has resulted in the identification of a number of potentially useful biomarkers...
- Pretreatment methods to improve sludge anaerobic degradability: a review
INRA, UR50, Laboratoire de Biotechnologie de l Environnement, Avenue des Etangs, F 11100 Narbonne, France
J Hazard Mater 183:1-15. 2010
..Mechanical treatment methods are comparable, and provide moderate performance improvements with moderate electrical input...
- Comparison of neutron activated and radiolabeled microsphere methods for measurement of transmural myocardial blood flow in dogs
John G Kingma
Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et Pneumologie, Department of Medicine, Laval University, Quebec City, Quebec, G1K 7P4
J Thromb Thrombolysis 19:201-8. 2005
..A new method using neutron activated microspheres (NAM) has recently been described...
- Comparison of three methods for estimating the standard error of the area under the curve in ROC analysis of quantitative data
Karim O Hajian-Tilaki
Acad Radiol 9:1278-85. 2002
Several methods have been proposed for estimating the standard error (SE) of the area under the curve (AUC) in receiver operating characteristic analysis...
- Simultaneous elimination of dissolved and dispersed pollutants from cutting oil wastes using two aqueous phase extraction methods
U S T Oran, Faculty of Sciences, Department of Chemistry, BP 1505, Elmnaouar, 31000 Oran, Algeria
J Hazard Mater 163:748-55. 2009
Oily wastewater experimental study has been accomplished using two aqueous phases extraction methods on the basis of phase separation properties of non-ionic surfactants above the so-called cloud point curve and the solubilization ..
- Treatment methods for the remediation of nitroaromatic explosives
J D Rodgers
School of Engineering, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Water Res 35:2101-11. 2001
..This paper reviews technologies that are available or under investigation to remediate areas contaminated with these compounds...
- Overcoming the false-minima problem in direct methods: structure determination of the packaging enzyme P4 from bacteriophage phi13
Division of Structural Biology, The Henry Wellcome Building for Genomic Medicine, Oxford University, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford OX3 7BN, England
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 61:1238-44. 2005
..Here, it is demonstrated how the difficulties in finding a correct phase solution arise from an intricate false-minima problem...
- Water transport across mammalian cell membranes
A S Verkman
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Am J Physiol 270:C12-30. 1996
..Further work should be directed at elucidation of the role of water channels in normal physiology and disease, molecular analysis of regulatory mechanisms, and water channel structure determination at atomic resolution...
- Measurement of converting enzyme activity by antibody-trapping of generated angiotensin II. Comparison with two other methods
Division of Hypertension, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Am J Hypertens 5:393-8. 1992
..5 to 24 h after oral administration of 20 mg enalapril. The percentage of ACE inhibition indicated by both methods was almost identical (r = 0.93, n = 60, P less than .001)...
- Methods of assessment of iodine status in humans: a systematic review
Institute for Medical Research, the Laboratory for Nutrition and Metabolism, The University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia
Am J Clin Nutr 89:2052S-2069S. 2009
..Biomarkers of iodine status are required to study iodine deficiency disorders in different parts of the world and to evaluate the effects of fortification strategies...
- Methods of assessment of n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid status in humans: a systematic review
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pecs, Pecs, Hungary
Am J Clin Nutr 89:2070S-2084S. 2009
..The availability of reliable biomarkers of n-3 (omega-3) long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid (LCPUFA) status is a prerequisite for linking dietary n-3 LCPUFA status to clinical outcomes...
- Critical bioethics: beyond the social science critique of applied ethics
Adam M Hedgecoe
Department of Sociology, School of Social Sciences, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QN, UK
Bioethics 18:120-143. 2004
..The aim is to produce a rigorous normative analysis of lived moral experience...
- Comparison of alternative weight recalibration methods for diagnosis-related groups
J R Rogowski
RAND Corporation, Washington, DC 20037
Health Care Financ Rev 12:87-101. 1990
..At the provider level, charge weights result in higher payments to large urban hospitals and teaching hospitals, relative to cost weights...
- Evaluation of four rapid methods for hemoglobin screening of whole blood donors in mobile collection settings
Antonia Gómez Simón
Centro Regional de Hemodonacion, C Ronda de Garay s n, Unit of Hematology and Clinical Oncology, University of Murcia, 30003 Murcia, Spain
Transfus Apher Sci 36:235-42. 2007
..Predonation hemoglobin measurement is a problematic requirement in mobile donation settings, where accurate determination of venous hemoglobin by hematology analyzers is not available...
- Comparison of marine spatial planning methods in Madagascar demonstrates value of alternative approaches
Thomas F Allnutt
Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e28969. 2012
..To assist this process, we compare four methods for marine spatial planning of Madagascar's west coast...
- Comparison of fixation disparities obtained by objective and subjective methods
Ohio State University College of Optometry, Columbus, USA
Vision Res 38:411-21. 1998
..The remaining subjects who lacked this effect had "flat" FD curves indicative of high vergence adaptation...
- Comparison of different methods to assess body composition of weight loss in obese and diabetic patients
INSERM UMR 694, Angers, France
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 77:405-11. 2007
..No effect of diabetes per se was observed. A 3- or 4-compartmental analysis is necessary to accurately estimate body composition and its changes during weight loss...
- Time-resolved biophysical methods in the study of protein folding
K W Plaxco
New Chemistry Laboratory, University of Oxford, UK
Curr Opin Struct Biol 6:630-6. 1996
..Recent advances in these techniques, the use of novel methods of initiating refolding, and a convergence of theoretical and experimental approaches are leading to a detailed ..
- In vitro methods for measuring the dry matter digestibility of ruminant feedstuffs: comparison of methods and inoculum source
S J Mabjeesh
Department of Animal Sciences, The Faculty of Agricultural, Food, and Environmental Quality Sciences, Rehovot, Israel
J Dairy Sci 83:2289-94. 2000
..The traditional method buffer was used for both methods. We also compared two sources of rumen inoculum from sheep and dairy cows...
- Assessing potential biomarkers of micronutrient status by using a systematic review methodology: methods
School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, University of East Anglia, Norwich, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 89:1953S-1959S. 2009
..To explore the relation between micronutrient status and health, it is important to understand which markers of micronutrient status can be relied on and under what circumstances...
- Comparison of methods for calculating serum osmolality: multivariate linear regression analysis
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Medical Sciences University of Mazandaran, Sari, Iran
Clin Chem Lab Med 43:635-40. 2005
There are several methods for calculating serum osmolality, and their accordance with measured osmolality is the subject of controversy.
- Unplanned versus planned suicide attempters, precipitants, methods, and an association with mental disorders in a Korea-based community sample
Hong Jin Jeon
Department of Psychiatry, Depression Center, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
J Affect Disord 127:274-80. 2010
Studies have consistently reported that a considerable proportion of suicidal attempts are unplanned. We have performed the first direct comparison between planned and unplanned attempts including associated methods and precipitants.
- Competitive adsorption of thiolated polyethylene glycol and mercaptopropionic acid on gold nanoparticles measured by physical characterization methods
De Hao Tsai
Ceramics Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899, USA
Langmuir 26:10325-33. 2010
..The desorption rate constant of SH-PEG from the Au-NP surface by MPA displacement was strongly affected by the concentration of MPA and the excess SH-PEG in solution...
- Comparison of two methods for calculating the frictional properties of articular cartilage using a simple pendulum and intact mouse knee joints
Elizabeth I Drewniak
Department of Orthopaedics, Bioengineering Laboratory, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University RIH, Providence, RI, USA
J Biomech 42:1996-9. 2009
..In this study, we examined two analysis methods for calculating the coefficient of friction (micro) using a simple pendulum system and BL6 murine knee joints (n=..
- Study on the toxic effects of diphenol compounds on soil microbial activity by a combination of methods
Key Laboratory of Biogeology and Environmental Geology Laboratory of Chinese Ministry of Education, School of Environmental Studies, Sino Hungarian Joint Laboratory of Environmental Science and Health, China University of Geosciences, No 388 Lu Mo Road, Wuhan, PR China
J Hazard Mater 167:846-51. 2009
..The combination of the three methods is a more comprehensive toxicological investigation of a complex microbiological system...
- Evaluation of two methods for concentrating perrhenate (188 Re) eluates obtained from 188 W-188 Re generator
Sishir Kumar Sarkar
Board of Radiation and Isotope Technology BRIT, BARC Vashi Complex, Navi Mumbai 400 705, India
Appl Radiat Isot 67:234-9. 2009
Two novel and simple methods for post-elution concentration (PEC) of (188)Re-perrhenate, using (i) a single diethyl amino ethyl (DEAE) cellulose anion exchanger column and (ii) a combination of Dowex-1 x 8 and AgCl columns, are described ..
- The ten-year trend in suicide methods. Evidence from an Asian population
Kuo Hsuan Chung
Taipei Medical University Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Taipei, Taiwan
Can J Public Health 99:406-10. 2008
Despite the wealth of studies investigating methods of committing suicide, very few studies have been undertaken in which the focus has been placed on the long-term trend in suicide methods...
- MOD-score analysis with simple pedigrees: an overview of likelihood-based linkage methods
Institute of Medical Biometry and Epidemiology, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Hum Hered 64:192-202. 2007
- Calculation of lipophilicity for Pt(II) complexes: experimental comparison of several methods
Igor V Tetko
Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen German Research Center for Environmental Health GmbH, Institute of Bioinformatics and Systems Biology, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
J Inorg Biochem 102:1424-37. 2008
..is to a large extent determined by their lipophilicity, thus there is a strong interest to develop computational methods to predict this important property...
- Different preparation methods to obtain platelet components as a source of growth factors for local application
Department of Transfusion Medicine, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Transfusion 41:1217-24. 2001
..Various preparation methods were investigated to define standardized blood bank components and to collect data on the growth factor content ..
- A benchmark of parametric methods for horizontal transfers detection
Dynamique des Structures et Interactions des Macromolécules Biologiques, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale UMR S 665, Universite Paris Diderot, Institut National de la Transfusion Sanguine, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 5:e9989. 2010
..As a consequence numerous parametric methods, using only the information embedded in the genomes, have been designed to detect HGTs...
- Comparison of population-based association study methods correcting for population stratification
Institute of Molecular Genetics, School of Life Science and Technology, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, Shaanxi, China
PLoS ONE 3:e3392. 2008
..Several statistical methods have been proposed to reduce the impact of population stratification on population-based association studies...
- Method for determining molar concentrations of metabolites in complex solutions from two-dimensional 1H-13C NMR spectra
Ian A Lewis
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Anal Chem 79:9385-90. 2007
..2% technical error under nearly ideal conditions. We propose FMQ by NMR as a practical alternative to 1D (1)H NMR for metabolomics studies in which 50-mg (extract dry weight) samples can be obtained...
- Are seasonalities in suicide dependent on suicide methods? A reappraisal
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Zurich, Sumatrastr 30, CH 8006 Zurich, Switzerland
Soc Sci Med 57:1173-81. 2003
..ubiquitous phenomenon; however, recent studies have indicated that it is related particularly to violent suicide methods. We investigated differences in suicide seasonalities by suicide methods using Swiss mortality data...
- Different molecular methods for the identification of rarely isolated non-tuberculous mycobacteria and description of new hsp65 restriction fragment length polymorphism patterns
Department of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, Hygiene Institute, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Cell Probes 18:59-65. 2004
..Identification results obtained by applying different methods yielded conflicting results...
- Methods of choice in completed suicides: gender differences and review of literature
Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore 575001, India
J Forensic Sci 54:938-42. 2009
..A 4-year retrospective study from January 2000 to December 2003 was conducted to identify the favored methods in realized suicides among males and females in the west coastal region of India...
- A survey of formal methods for determining the centre of rotation of ball joints
Rainald M Ehrig
Research Laboratory, Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Biomech 39:2798-809. 2006
..For the first time in this survey of formal methods, we classify, analyse and compare different methods (geometric, algebraic, bias compensated algebraic, and Pratt ..
- A comparison of four methods of obtaining a negative impression of the foot
Shriners Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 92:261-8. 2002
Four methods are currently available for taking a negative impression of the foot for the purpose of fabricating an orthotic device: nonweightbearing plaster casting, partial-weightbearing foam impressions, and partial-weightbearing and ..
- Methods for measuring proteasome activity: current limitations and future developments
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queen s University, Belfast, Belfast, UK
Leuk Res 34:1403-9. 2010
..A wide range of methods have been developed to profile proteasome activity...
- Comparison of classifier fusion methods for predicting response to anti HIV-1 therapy
Computational Biology and Applied Algorithmics, Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Saarbrucken, Germany
PLoS ONE 3:e3470. 2008
..In this work we compare different classifier fusion methods for combining the individual classifiers.
- Alternative methods of extracting telomerase activity from human tumor samples
L S Gollahon
Department of Biological Sciences P O Box 43131, Texas Tech University and the Southwest Cancer Center, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX 79409 3131, USA
Cancer Lett 159:141-9. 2000
..Our results provide alternative methods for telomerase extraction from solid tumors and small samples that are more convenient and accurate.
- Development of efficient protein extraction methods for shotgun proteome analysis of formalin-fixed tissues
National Chromatographic R and A Center, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Dalian 116023, China
J Proteome Res 6:1038-47. 2007
..Valuable proteome information could be obtained by shotgun proteome analysis of formalin-fixed tissue, which presents a new approach for disease biomarker discovery...
- Health-related quality of life: methods of assessment
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Horm Res 56:51-4. 2001
..The added value of doing an HRQOL assessment is also discussed...
- Comment on experimental methods and conclusions of impedance spectroscopy of solutions at physiological glucose concentrations by A. Tura, S. Sbrignadello, S. Barison, S. Conti, G. Pacini
Solianis Monitoring AG, 8050 Zurich, Switzerland
Biophys Chem 132:165-6; discussion 167-8. 2008
- A generic protein purification method for protein complex characterization and proteome exploration
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Meyerhofstrasse 1, D 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Nat Biotechnol 17:1030-2. 1999
..Combined with mass spectrometry, the TAP strategy allows for the identification of proteins interacting with a given target protein. The TAP method has been tested in yeast but should be applicable to other cells or organisms...
- Methods: DNA methylation
Institute of experimental heamatology and transfusion medecine, Sigmund Freud strs 25, 53127 Bonn
Adv Exp Med Biol 544:197-204. 2003
- Optimized protein extraction methods for proteomic analysis of Rhizoctonia solani
Dilip K Lakshman
Floral and Nursery Plants Research Unit, USDA ARS, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
Mycologia 100:867-75. 2008
..These results testify to the suitability of the two optimized protein extraction protocols for 2-D proteomic studies of R. solani...
- Physical methods of torture and their sequelae: a Sri Lankan perspective
University of Kelaniya, Department of Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Thalagolla Road, Ragama, Sri Lanka
J Forensic Leg Med 14:146-50. 2007
b>Methods of torture vary from country to country and sometimes within regions in the same country. Knowing torture methods used in a country or region assists in evaluating injuries, scars and other chronic sequelae of torture...
- Evaluation of three methods to rate impairment in patients with complex regional pain syndrome I of one upper extremity
H M Oerlemans
Allied Health Services, University Medical Center Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Clin Rehabil 14:331-9. 2000
..To gain insight into the best way of obtaining an impairment rating in complex regional pain syndrome I (CRPS I) of the upper extremity. This syndrome can potentially result in permanent impairment...
- A simulation study of three methods for detecting disease clusters
Akershus University Hospital, University of Oslo, Norway
Int J Health Geogr 5:15. 2006
..In this article we study three methods suitable for detecting local spatial clusters: (1) a spatial scan statistic (SaTScan), (2) generalized additive ..
- A comparison of methods to detect recombination hotspots
Human Genetics Division, School of Medicine, Southampton General Hospital, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
Hum Hered 66:157-69. 2008
A number of linkage disequilibrium (LD)-based methods have been developed to describe recombination and infer hotspots...
- The SeqFEATURE library of 3D functional site models: comparison to existing methods and applications to protein function annotation
Program in Biomedical Informatics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 94305 USA
Genome Biol 9:R8. 2008
..We built a library of models that shows good performance compared to other methods. In particular, SeqFEATURE demonstrates significant improvement over other methods when sequence and structural ..
- Multicenter study of homocysteine measurement--performance characteristics of different methods, influence of standards on interlaboratory agreement of results
Angelo Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, Department of Internal Medicine, University and IRCCS Maggiore Hospital, Milano, Italy
Thromb Haemost 85:291-5. 2001
..This prompted us to organize a collaborative study to investigate the performance of methods used in this setting and to assess the between-lab comparability of results...
- Evaluation of protein depletion methods for the analysis of total-, phospho- and glycoproteins in lumbar cerebrospinal fluid
Mayo Proteomics Research Center and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Proteome Res 4:837-45. 2005
..Two protein removal methods were evaluated: batch mode with avian IgY antibody microbeads using spin filters and HPLC multiple affinity ..
- Discrimination of solvent from protein regions in native Fouriers as a means of evaluating heavy-atom solutions in the MIR and MAD methods
T C Terwilliger
Structural Biology Group, Mail Stop M888, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 55:501-5. 1999
..examination of the native Fourier is tested as a means of evaluation of a heavy-atom solution in MAD and MIR methods for macromolecular crystallography...
- Core temperature measurement: methods and current insights
Daniel S Moran
Military Physiology Unit, Heller Institute of Medical Research, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Sports Med 32:879-85. 2002
..Monitoring internal body T(c) accurately requires invasive methods of measurement...
- Comparisons of site- and haplotype-frequency methods for detecting positive selection
State Key Laboratory of Biocontrol and Key Laboratory of Gene Engineering of the Ministry of Education, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Mol Biol Evol 24:1562-74. 2007
..In the companion paper (Zeng K, Shi S, Wu C-I, in preparation), we use the EW test to devise 2 compound tests, which are more powerful in detecting positive selection than DH, but are also relatively insensitive to demography...
- A critical comparison of methods for the determination of the aging sensitivity in biomedical grade yttria-stabilized zirconia
Materials Science Department, National Institute of Applied Sciences GEMPPM INSA, Associate Research Unit 5510, 20 av A Einstein, 69621 Villeurbanne Cedex, France
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 72:239-45. 2005
..The expected outputs of conventional methods, that is, X-ray diffraction and scanning electron microscopy are examined...
- Multi-list methods using incomplete lists in closed populations
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
Biometrics 61:134-40. 2005
Multi-list methods have become a common application of capture-recapture methodology to estimate the size of human populations, and have been successfully applied to estimating prevalence of diabetes, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), ..
- Assessing health related quality of life in medicine. An overview over concepts, methods and applications in international research
Department of Medical Psychology, University of Hamburg, Germany
Restor Neurol Neurosci 20:93-101. 2002
..Focus of attention are conceptual, methodological and practical challenges as well as the contribution of quality of life research to evaluating the results of medical treatment...
- Methods for estimation of bone marrow plasma cell involvement in myeloma: predictive value for response and survival in patients undergoing autologous stem cell transplantation
S V Rajkumar
Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Hematol 68:269-75. 2001
..There was a significant correlation between the three methods, rho > 0.65, P < 0.001...
- Threshold-free high-power methods for the ontological analysis of genome-wide gene-expression studies
Department of Clinical Genetics, Lund University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Genome Biol 8:R74. 2007
Ontological analysis facilitates the interpretation of microarray data. Here we describe new ontological analysis methods which, unlike existing approaches, are threshold-free and statistically powerful...
- Timing the changes of cyclin E cell content in G1 in exponentially growing cells
Biophysics Unit, Department of Oncology, Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Via Eritrea 62, 20157 Milan, Italy
Exp Cell Res 288:158-67. 2003
..This way we could calculate the average cyclin E content of cells in each age cohort. Cyclin E values were low until age 3 h, after which they rose gradually, reaching six times the value of newborn cells at the end of G(1)...
- Comparison of two methods for predicting equilibrated Kt/V (eKt/V) using true eKt/V value
Pediatr Nephrol 13:418-22. 1999
Two methods have been suggested by Daugirdas and Schneditz (the rate equation), and Smye for predicting true equilibrated Kt/V (eKt/V) without the need for obtaining a blood sample 60 min after hemodialysis (HD)...
- Suicidal and homicidal deaths: a comparative and circumstantial approach
Vipul Namdeorao Ambade
Department of Forensic Medicine, Vasantrao Naik Medical College, Yeotmal 445 001, Maharashtra, India
J Forensic Leg Med 14:253-60. 2007
..9/100,000 per year. Poisoning, burning, hanging and drowning forms the major methods of suicide in contrast to blunt trauma, sharp trauma, burning, and strangulation in homicide...
- Suicide in India: a four year retrospective study
Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, MKCG Medical College, Berhampur, Orissa, India
J Forensic Leg Med 14:185-9. 2007
..All the cases were analyzed as to sex, age, and methods of suicide, seasonal variation, diurnal variation and other sociological aspects...
- Suicides in Northern India: comparison of trends and review of literature
B R Sharma
Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Government Medical College and Hospital, 1156 B, Sector 32 B, Chandigarh, India
J Forensic Leg Med 14:318-26. 2007
- Suicide - a statistical analysis by age, sex and method
J P Henderson
London South Bank University, Forensic Science Unit, School of Applied Science, Faculty of Engineering, Science and Technology, UK
J Clin Forensic Med 12:305-9. 2005
..Good agreement was found between the results of this study and those of the Home Office Study...
- Nonnatural deaths of adolescents and teenagers: Fulton County, Georgia, 1985-2004
Fulton County Medical Examiner s Center and daggerEmory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 29:208-13. 2008
..Characterizing the causes and circumstances of nonnatural childhood deaths may provide information that is useful for development of prevention strategies and programs...
- An unusual mechanical asphyxia in a homicide-suicide case by smothering and strangulation
From the Institute of Forensic Pathology, University of Foggia, Policlinico Ospedali Riuniti, Foggia, Italy
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 27:166-8. 2006
- Youth suicide in New Mexico: a 26-year retrospective review
Veena D Singh
New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator, MSC11 6030, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
J Forensic Sci 53:703-8. 2008
..With a solid understanding of the circumstances, it may be possible to predict, and hopefully prevent, future cases of child and adolescent death...
- Suicidal hanging: fatalities in Istanbul retrospective analysis of 761 autopsy cases
The Ministry of Justice, Institute of Forensic Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
J Forensic Leg Med 14:406-9. 2007
..Hyperemic lines around the ligature were prominent in 620 of the cases and soft tissue ecchymoses in all cases. In 305 of the cases (40.07%) diagnosis was based only on the soft tissue hemorrhage...
- A study of suicides in Londonderry, Northern Ireland, for the year period spanning 2000-2005
University of Ulster, Rm W1057, CMB, Cromore Road, Coleraine, Northern Ireland BT52 1SA, UK
J Forensic Leg Med 15:148-57. 2008
..The most frequent method of suicide recorded in this study was hanging (55%). The next most frequent methods were drowning (25%) and overdose (13.3%). Three times as many males (6) overdosed compared to females.
- Suicide methods in the elderly in South Australia 1981-2000
R W Byard
Forensic Science Centre, 21 Divett Place, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
J Clin Forensic Med 11:71-4. 2004
..01). Female victims tended to avoid violent methods such as gunshot wounds in favour of drug overdose...
- Deaths among criminal suspects, law enforcement officers, civilians, and prison inmates: a coroner-based study
Steven A Koehler
Allegheny County Coroner s Office, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 24:334-8. 2003
- The risk factors of suicide by poisoning among psychiatry department outpatients
J Forensic Leg Med 15:65-7. 2008
- Suicide and the war in Croatia
Institute of Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Rijeka, Brace Branchetta 20, 51000 Rijeka, Croatia
Forensic Sci Int 147:S13-6. 2005
..The level of alcohol intoxication of perpetrators at the moment of suicide significantly increased in the wartime period. War had a direct impact on quantitative and qualitative characteristics of suicides in Croatia...
- Fatal suicide cases from 1991 to 2000 in Szeged, Hungary
Department of Forensic Medicine, University of Szeged, 6722 Szeged, Kossuth L sgt 40, Hungary
Forensic Sci Int 147:S25-8. 2005
..8% of the 474 victims whose blood and/or urine alcohol concentration measurement were carried out consumed alcohol prior to the act. The presence of licit drugs in 12% of not drug-related cases were experienced...
- Suicide in children and adolescents: a 10-year retrospective review
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, McMaster University Medical Center, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 26:309-15. 2005
..Overall, the method of suicide is dictated by what is convenient and readily available, though the acceptance of various suicide methods can change over time. Suicide prevention efforts should be tailored to address local trends.
- Presence of alcohol in suicide victims
Institute of Occupational Safety, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Chengdujska casta 25, Slovenia
Forensic Sci Int 147:S9-12. 2005
..Simultaneously, due to an established link, the national alcohol policy and strategy for prevention of suicides should be professionally harmonized...
- Suicidal deaths in childhood and adolescence
Institute of Forensic Medicine, Ministry of Justice, 31243 Cerrahpaşa, Istanbul, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 142:25-31. 2004