Genomes and Genes
Summary: The restriction of the MOVEMENT of whole or part of the body by physical means (RESTRAINT, PHYSICAL) or chemically by ANALGESIA, or the use of TRANQUILIZING AGENTS or NEUROMUSCULAR NONDEPOLARIZING AGENTS. It includes experimental protocols used to evaluate the physiologic effects of immobility.
Publications382 found, 100 shown here
- Single and repeated immobilization stress differentially trigger induction and phosphorylation of several transcription factors and mitogen-activated protein kinases in the rat locus coeruleusMeleik A Hebert
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
J Neurochem 95:484-98. 2005..Rats were exposed to single or repeated immobilization stress (IMO) for brief (5 min), intermediate (30 min) or sustained (2 h) duration...
- Joint immobilization prevents murine osteoarthritis and reveals the highly mechanosensitive nature of protease expression in vivoAnnika Burleigh
Department of Cell Signaling, Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology, University of Oxford, London, UK
Arthritis Rheum 64:2278-88. 2012..This study was undertaken to investigate the link between protease expression and mechanical joint loading in vivo...
- Limb immobilization induces a coordinate down-regulation of mitochondrial and other metabolic pathways in men and womenArkan Abadi
Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 4:e6518. 2009..The purpose of this study was to examine changes in global gene transcription during immobilization-induced muscle atrophy in humans and then explore the effects of the most prominent transcriptional ..
- Increased sclerostin serum levels associated with bone formation and resorption markers in patients with immobilization-induced bone lossAgostino Gaudio
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Catania, 95124 Catania, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2248-53. 2010..Sclerostin, a Wnt signaling antagonist on the osteoblasts produced by osteocytes, is regulated by mechanical strain and is implicated in the pathogenesis of disuse bone loss. There are no data on sclerostin in humans...
- The role of NF-kappaB in protein breakdown in immobilization, aging, and exercise: from basic processes to promotion of healthMarina Bar-Shai
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, P O Box 9649, Haifa 31096, Israel
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1057:431-47. 2005..The molecular mechanisms responsible for the muscle protein breakdown during immobilization in aging have been studied in our laboratory in a model of 24-month-old Wistar rats, immobilized for 4 weeks...
- Comparison of Macintosh, Truview EVO2, Glidescope, and Airwayscope laryngoscope use in patients with cervical spine immobilizationM A Malik
Department of Anaesthesia, Clinical Sciences Institute, Galway University Hospitals, Galway, Ireland
Br J Anaesth 101:723-30. 2008..of the Pentax AWS, Glidescope, and the Truview EVO2, in comparison with the Macintosh laryngoscope, when performing tracheal intubation in patients with neck immobilization using manual in-line axial cervical spine stabilization.
- Immobilization stress induces BDNF in rat submandibular glandsK Tsukinoki
Department of Diagnostic Science, Division of Pathology, Kanagawa Dental College, 82 Inaoka cho, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 238 8580, Japan
J Dent Res 85:844-8. 2006..b>Immobilization stress modifies BDNF mRNA expression in some organs...
- Covalent immobilization of proteins for the biosensor based on imaging ellipsometryZhan Hui Wang
National Microgravity Laboratory, Institute of Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, PR China
J Immunol Methods 285:237-43. 2004In the development of biosensors, the immobilization of biomolecules at interfaces played a crucial role...
- The effects of rigid collar placement on intracranial and cerebral perfusion pressuresK Hunt
The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Centre for Anaesthesia, University College London Hospitals, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Anaesthesia 56:511-3. 2001..These findings suggest that in head-injured patients, rigid collars should be removed as soon as cervical spine injury has been excluded or, if this is delayed, an alternative method of spinal stabilisation considered...
- Two-week cast immobilization induced chronic widespread hyperalgesia in ratsY Ohmichi
Multidisciplinary Pain Center, Aichi Medical University, Nagakute, Aichi, 480 1195, Japan
Eur J Pain 16:338-48. 2012It has been postulated that physical immobilization is an essential factor in developing chronic pain after trauma or surgery in an extremity...
- Effects of limb immobilization on brain plasticityN Langer
Division of Neuropsychology, Institute of Psychology, and International Normal Aging and Plasticity Imaging Center, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Neurology 78:182-8. 2012..Therefore, we conducted a longitudinal study to investigate whether limb immobilization after unilateral arm injury is reflected in structural plastic changes in gray matter (cortical thickness) and ..
- Long-term imaging of Caenorhabditis elegans using nanoparticle-mediated immobilizationEric Kim
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e53419. 2013..Imaging C. elegans often requires animals to be immobilized to avoid movement-related artifacts. Immobilization has been performed by application of anesthetics or by introducing physical constraints using glue or ..
- Long-lasting cervical radicular pain managed with surgery, physiotherapy, or a cervical collar. A prospective, randomized studyL C Persson
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:751-8. 1997..CONCLUSIONS: In the treatment of patients with long-lasting cervical radicular pain, it appears that a cervical collar, physiotherapy, or surgery are equally effective in the long term...
- Effects of aging on human skeletal muscle after immobilization and retrainingC Suetta
Institute of Sports Medicine, Bispebjerg Hospital, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, 2400 NV Copenhagen, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 107:1172-80. 2009..on skeletal muscle in young individuals are well elucidated, only little is known about the consequence of immobilization and the regenerative capacity in elderly individuals...
- Mechanical conditions that accelerate intervertebral disc degeneration: overload versus immobilizationIan A F Stokes
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:2724-32. 2004A review of the literature on macromechanical factors that accelerate disc degeneration with particular focus on distinguishing the roles of immobilization and overloading.
- Repositioning accuracy of two different mask systems-3D revisited: comparison using true 3D/3D matching with cone-beam CTJudit Boda-Heggemann
Department of Radiation Oncology, Mannheim Medical Center, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:1568-75. 2006..We analyzed the accuracy of commercially available head mask systems, using true 3D/3D matching, with X-ray volume imaging and cone-beam CT...
- Submandibular glands contribute to increases in plasma BDNF levelsK Tsukinoki
Department of Maxillofacial Diagnostic Science, Division of Pathology, Kanagawa Dental College, Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan
J Dent Res 86:260-4. 2007..Expression of BDNF mRNA has been identified in the submandibular glands when male rats are exposed to acute immobilization stress...
- Effects of prehospital spinal immobilization: a systematic review of randomized trials on healthy subjectsIrene Kwan
National Collaborating Centre for Women s and Children s Health, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, London, England, UK
Prehosp Disaster Med 20:47-53. 2005To evaluate the effects of spinal immobilization on healthy participants.
- Halo vest immobilization in the elderly: a death sentence?Sarah Majercik
Division of Trauma and Surgical Critical Care, Rhode Island Hospital Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
J Trauma 59:350-6; discussion 356-8. 2005..In many centers, halo vest immobilization (HVI) is the treatment of choice...
- Effects of 3 days unloading on molecular regulators of muscle size in humansT Gustafsson
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Section of Clinical Physiology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
J Appl Physiol (1985) 109:721-7. 2010..Further, the reported difference in gene expression pattern across muscles suggests that mechanisms regulating protein content in human skeletal muscle are influenced by phenotype and/or function...
- Position and duration of immobilization after primary anterior shoulder dislocation: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the literatureWilliam H Paterson
Campbell Clinic University of Tennessee Department of Orthopaedics, 1211 Union Avenue, Suite 500, Memphis, TN 38104, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:2924-33. 2010b>Immobilization after closed reduction has long been the standard treatment for primary anterior dislocation of the shoulder...
- Mitochondrial-targeted antioxidants protect skeletal muscle against immobilization-induced muscle atrophyKisuk Min
Dept of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, Univ of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 111:1459-66. 2011Prolonged periods of muscular inactivity (e.g., limb immobilization) result in skeletal muscle atrophy...
- Odontoid fractures in the elderly: dorsal C1/C2 fusion is superior to halo-vest immobilizationThomas M Frangen
Department of Surgery, Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
J Trauma 63:83-9. 2007..Recent studies confirmed that external stabilization with halo-vest immobilization is associated with high complication rates and mortality...
- Chronic immobilization stress alters aspects of emotionality and associative learning in the ratGwendolyn E Wood
The Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Behav Neurosci 122:282-92. 2008..Chronic immobilization stress (CIS) induces anxiety behavior and dendritic hypertrophy in the basolateral amygdala, which persist ..
- Active non-operative treatment of acute isolated posterior cruciate ligament injury with cylinder cast immobilizationYoung Bok Jung
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Chung Ang Medical Center, Heukseok dong 224 1, Dongjak Gu, Seoul, South Korea
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 16:729-33. 2008..non-operative treatment of the acute isolated posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) injury using cylinder cast immobilization and brace with tibial supporter...
- Setup uncertainties of anatomical sub-regions in head-and-neck cancer patients after offline CBCT guidanceSimon van Kranen
Department of Radiation Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:1566-73. 2009..To quantify local geometrical uncertainties in anatomical sub-regions during radiotherapy for head-and-neck cancer patients...
- Cone-beam CT assessment of interfraction and intrafraction setup error of two head-and-neck cancer thermoplastic masksMichael Velec
Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76:949-55. 2010..To prospectively compare setup error in standard thermoplastic masks and skin-sparing masks (SSMs) modified with low neck cutouts for head-and-neck intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) patients...
- Compression therapy promotes proliferative repair during rat Achilles tendon immobilizationNikos Schizas
Orthopaedic Laboratory, Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, M1 02, The King Gustav V Research Building, Karolinska University Hospital 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
J Orthop Res 28:852-8. 2010Achilles tendon ruptures are treated with an initial period of immobilization, which obstructs the healing process partly by a reduction of blood circulation...
- Immobilization stress induces endothelial dysfunction by oxidative stress via the activation of the angiotensin II/its type I receptor pathwayIck Mo Chung
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Ewha Medical Research Institute, School of Medicine, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Atherosclerosis 213:109-14. 2010..We here studied the mechanism by which immobilization stress causes endothelial dysfunction with specific aim of identifying the role of angiotensin II and its type ..
- A practical method to achieve prostate gland immobilization and target verification for daily treatmentA V D'Amico
Department of Radiation Oncology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 51:1431-6. 2001A practical method to achieve prostate immobilization and daily target localization for external beam radiation treatment is described.
- Enhancement of adenoviral gene transfer to adult rat cardiomyocytes in vivo by immobilization and ultrasound treatment of the heartM Sato
Department of Cardiac Medicine, NHLI Division, Imperial College London, UK
Gene Ther 12:936-41. 2005..Brief immobilization of the ventricle during and after injection using a haemoclip increased the number of transfected rod-shaped, ..
- Random positional variation among the skull, mandible, and cervical spine with treatment progression during head-and-neck radiotherapyPeter H Ahn
Department of Radiation Oncology, Montefiore Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:626-33. 2009With 54 degrees of freedom from the skull to mandible to C7, ensuring adequate immobilization for head-and-neck radiotherapy (RT) is complex. We quantify variations in skull, mandible, and cervical spine movement between RT sessions.
- Strength training the free limb attenuates strength loss during unilateral immobilizationJonathan P Farthing
College of Kinesiology, Univ of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:830-6. 2009The objective was to determine if strength training the free limb during a 3-wk period of unilateral immobilization attenuates strength loss in the immobilized limb through cross-education...
- Failure of the interosseous membrane to heal with immobilization, pinning of the distal radioulnar joint, and bipolar radial head replacement in a case of Essex-Lopresti injury: case reportHyun Sik Gong
Department of Orthopaedics, Hand and Upper Extremity Service, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam, Korea
J Hand Surg Am 35:976-80. 2010..This case demonstrates that failure of the interosseous membrane can occur even in a properly replaced bipolar radial head with adequate immobilization of the forearm and pinning of the distal radioulnar joint.
- Inter- and intrafraction patient positioning uncertainties for intracranial radiotherapy: a study of four frameless, thermoplastic mask-based immobilization strategies using daily cone-beam CTErik Tryggestad
Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 80:281-90. 2011To determine whether frameless thermoplastic mask-based immobilization is adequate for image-guided cranial radiosurgery.
- Short-term immobilization after eccentric exercise. Part II: creatine kinase and myoglobinStephen P Sayers
Human Physiology Laboratory, Department of Health Sciences, Boston University, Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, 635 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 35:762-8. 2003..We previously found short-term immobilization blunted the rise in plasma CK after eccentric exercise, suggesting subsequent movement of damaged muscle may ..
- Contrasting roles of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor in the production of immobilization by conventional and aromatic anestheticsEdmond I Eger
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0464, USA
Anesth Analg 102:1397-406. 2006..We conclude that some aromatic anesthetics may produce immobility in the face of noxious stimulation by blocking the action of glutamate on NMDA receptors but that conventional inhaled anesthetics do not...
- Anabolic resistance: the effects of aging, sexual dimorphism, and immobilization on human muscle protein turnoverMichael J Rennie
University of Nottingham, School of Graduate Entry Medicine and Health, City Hospital, Derby, DE22 3DT, UK
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 34:377-81. 2009..Exercise may retune the amino acid and (or) insulin sensitivity of muscle in older people...
- Effects of aging on muscle mechanical function and muscle fiber morphology during short-term immobilization and subsequent retrainingLars Hvid
Institute of Sports Medicine, Bispebjerg Hospital and Center of Healthy Aging, Faculty of Health Science, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 109:1628-34. 2010..Thus the purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of 2 wk of immobilization followed by 4 wk of retraining on knee extensor muscle mechanical function (e.g...
- Effects of cross-education on the muscle after a period of unilateral limb immobilization using a shoulder sling and swatheCharlene R A Magnus
College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, 87 Campus Dr, Saskatoon, SK S7N 5B2, Canada
J Appl Physiol (1985) 109:1887-94. 2010The purpose of this study was to apply cross-education during 4 wk of unilateral limb immobilization using a shoulder sling and swathe to investigate the effects on muscle strength, muscle size, and muscle activation...
- Comparison of setup accuracy of three different thermoplastic masks for the treatment of brain and head and neck tumorsL Gilbeau
Radiation Oncology Department, , St-Luc University Hospital, 10 Ave. Hippocrate, B-1200 Brussels, Belgium
Radiother Oncol 58:155-62. 2001..The purpose of this study was to compare the setup accuracy of three different thermoplastic masks used for immobilization of patients with brain or head and neck tumors...
- Exercise and immobilization in aging animals: the involvement of oxidative stress and NF-kappaB activationMarina Bar-Shai
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, P O Box 9649, Haifa 31096, Israel
Free Radic Biol Med 44:202-14. 2008..Its involvement in exercise and immobilization has been demonstrated in several studies, indicating that these conditions may lead to inflammatory responses ..
- Neural responses in rat brain during acute immobilization stress: a [F-18]FDG micro PET imaging studyKang Keyng Sung
Department of Neuroscience and Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan, South Korea
Neuroimage 44:1074-80. 2009..Animals were given immobilization stress for 1 or 2 h, or 1-h stress followed by 1-h recovery, after which their brains were scanned...
- Identification of ubiquitin ligases required for skeletal muscle atrophyS C Bodine
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, 777 Old Saw Mill River Road, Tarrytown, NY, 10591 6707, USA
Science 294:1704-8. 2001..Overexpression of MAFbx in myotubes produced atrophy, whereas mice deficient in either MAFbx or MuRF1 were found to be resistant to atrophy. These proteins are potential drug targets for the treatment of muscle atrophy...
- Immediate-early gene response to repeated immobilization: Fos protein and arc mRNA levels appear to be less sensitive than c-fos mRNA to adaptationSheila Ons
Department of Cellular Biology, Physiology and Immunology, Institute of Neuroscience and Animal Physiology Unit, School of Biosciences, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Neurosci 31:2043-52. 2010..and arc (activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein) after repeated exposure to a severe stressor: immobilization on wooden boards (IMO)...
- Immobilization-induced and crowded environment-induced stress delay barrier recovery in murine skinM Denda
Life Science Research Laboratories, Shiseido Research Center 2, Yokohama, Japan
Br J Dermatol 138:780-5. 1998To examine the effect of stress on skin homeostasis, cutaneous barrier recovery was measured in rate exposed to immobilization stress after tape stripping or sodium dodecyl sulphate treatment...
- The effects of immobilization on the characteristics of articular cartilage: current concepts and future directionsB Vanwanseele
Laboratory for Biomechanics, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich ETHZ, CH 8952 Schlieren, Switzerland
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 10:408-19. 2002The purpose of this paper is to review current data and concepts concerning the effect of immobilization on articular cartilage in animal models. We also evaluate the methods to measure articular cartilage changes in humans.
- Acute physical stress elevates mouse period1 mRNA expression in mouse peripheral tissues via a glucocorticoid-responsive elementTakuro Yamamoto
Osaka Bioscience Institute, Suita, Osaka 565 0874, Japan
J Biol Chem 280:42036-43. 2005....
- Acute treatment of inversion ankle sprains: immobilization versus functional treatmentMorgan H Jones
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 455:169-72. 2007..We conducted a systematic review of the literature to evaluate the effect of immobilization versus early functional treatment on time to return to preinjury activity after inversion ankle sprain...
- The adaptive responses in several mediators linked with hypertrophy and atrophy of skeletal muscle after lower limb unloading in humansK Sakuma
Research Center for Physical Fitness, Sports and Health, Toyohashi University of Technology, Toyohashi, Japan
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 197:151-9. 2009....
- Chronic immobilization stress induces anxiety- and depression-like behaviors and decreases transthyretin in the mouse cortexYeon Joo
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Institute of Health Sciences, School of Medicine, Gyeongsang National University, 92 Chilam dong, Jinju 660 751, Republic of Korea
Neurosci Lett 461:121-5. 2009..Mice were subjected to immobilization stress for 2h per day for 15 consecutive days and the behavior of the mice was examined...
- Out-of-hospital spinal immobilization: its effect on neurologic injuryM Hauswald
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of New Mexico, School of Medicine, Albuquerque 87131 5246, USA
Acad Emerg Med 5:214-9. 1998To examine the effect of emergency immobilization on neurologic outcome of patients who have blunt traumatic spinal injuries.
- Disuse atrophy and exercise rehabilitation in humans profoundly affects the expression of genes associated with the regulation of skeletal muscle massSimon W Jones
Centre for Integrated Systems Biology and Medicine, School of Biomedical Sciences, The Medical School, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2UH, UK
FASEB J 18:1025-7. 2004..Here, we induced skeletal muscle atrophy in healthy volunteers using two weeks of limb immobilization, and then stimulated the restoration of muscle mass with six weeks of supervised exercise rehabilitation...
- Sub-cellular precision on-chip small-animal immobilization, multi-photon imaging and femtosecond-laser manipulationFei Zeng
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Lab Chip 8:653-6. 2008Techniques for stable, rapid and repeatable small-animal immobilization are necessary for high-throughput in vivo genetic/drug screens using cellular and sub-cellular features in multi-cellular organisms...
- Time dependence of intrafraction patient motion assessed by repeat stereoscopic imagingMischa S Hoogeman
Department of Radiation Oncology, Erasmus MC Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:609-18. 2008..The data can be used to optimize the intrafraction imaging frequency and consequent patient setup correction with an image guidance and tracking system, and to establish the required safety margins in the absence of such a system...
- Muscle atrophy in immobilization and senescence in humansAndrew J Murton
Centre for Integrated Systems Biology and Medicine, School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Curr Opin Neurol 22:500-5. 2009..the mechanisms thought to be responsible for the determination of muscle mass during health, ageing and immobilization in humans have presented findings that have wide ranging implications...
- Immobilization stress reduced the expression of neurotrophins and their receptors in the rat brainT Ueyama
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Wakayama Medical College, Japan
Neurosci Res 28:103-10. 1997..Male Wistar rats (6 weeks old) were exposed to immobilization stress for 8 h and their brains were processed for in situ hybridization histochemistry...
- c-Fos expression induced by electroacupuncture at the Zusanli point in rats submitted to repeated immobilizationM A Medeiros
Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, Seropedica, RJ, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 36:1673-84. 2003..Repeated immobilization protocols (6 days, 1 h/day and 13 days, 2 h/day) were used to reduce the effect of acute immobilization stress ..
- Incidence of and risk factors for complications associated with halo-vest immobilization: a prospective, descriptive cohort study of 239 patientsJoost J van Middendorp
Department of Orthopaedics, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Radboud University Nijmegen, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:71-9. 2009Since high rates of serious complications, such as death and pneumonia, during halo-vest immobilization have been reported, there has been a tendency of restraint with regard to the use of the halo vest...
- Tracheal intubation with videolaryngoscopes in patients with cervical spine immobilization: a randomized trial of the Airway Scope and the GlideScopeE H C Liu
Department of Anaesthesia, National University Health System, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Br J Anaesth 103:446-51. 2009..We tested this hypothesis in a randomized comparison of the two videolaryngoscopes in patients whose cervical spines were immobilized...
- Effect of immobilization, immediate mobilization, and delayed mobilization on the resistance to digital flexion using a tendon injury modelM N Halikis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
J Hand Surg Am 22:464-72. 1997This study employed a tendon injury model in chickens to determine the effect of immobilization, immediate mobilization, and delayed mobilization on the energy required to fully flex the digit following surgical trauma to the tendon, as ..
- Respiratory effects of spinal immobilizationV Y Totten
Department of Emergency Medicine, Catholic Medical Center, Jamaica, New York 11439, USA
Prehosp Emerg Care 3:347-52. 1999To evaluate the effect of whole-body spinal immobilization on respiration.
- Maximizing comfort and minimizing ischemia: a comparison of four methods of spinal immobilizationM Hauswald
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque 87131 5246, USA
Prehosp Emerg Care 4:250-2. 2000To determine which of four methods of spinal immobilization causes the least ischemic pain.
- Set-up verification using portal imaging; review of current clinical practiceC W Hurkmans
The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Huis, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Radiother Oncol 58:105-20. 2001..The reported set-up accuracy varies widely, depending on the treatment site, method of immobilization and institution...
- Spinal immobilization in the field: clinical clearance criteria and implementationD G Hankins
Department of Emergency Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Gold Cross Ambulance, Mayo One Helicopter, and Mayo Medical Communications, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Prehosp Emerg Care 5:88-93. 2001Awareness of the health and financial repercussions of unnecessary immobilization has made cervical spinal immobilization controversial in out-of-hospital care...
- Immobilization devices for intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)C B Saw
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68198 7521, USA
Med Dosim 26:71-7. 2001..Effective reduction in target positional inaccuracies can be achieved with the proper use of immobilization devices...
- Effects of immobilization and dynamic compression on intervertebral disc cell gene expression in vivoJeffery J Maclean
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Vermont, Burlington 05405 0156, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:973-81. 2003An in vivo analysis of the intervertebral disc's cellular response to dynamic compression and immobilization was performed using a rat-tail model.
- Immobilization stress-induced increase in plasma catecholamine levels is inhibited by a prolactoliberin (salsolinol) administrationIbolya Bodnar
Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Vlarska 3, 833 06 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1018:124-30. 2004..whether salsolinol plays a role in the regulation of plasma CA levels at rest and of CA release induced by immobilization stress (IMO). Salsolinol did not affect CA baseline levels; however, it did inhibit IMO-induced CA release...
- DNA-directed protein immobilization on mixed self-assembled monolayers via a streptavidin bridgeJon Ladd
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Langmuir 20:8090-5. 2004..Results also show excellent specificity in protein immobilization to the proper locations in the array...
- Bone resorption and "relative" immobilization hypercalcemia with prolonged continuous renal replacement therapy and citrate anticoagulationPei Li Wang
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 44:1110-4. 2004..Bone resorption owing to prolonged immobilization leading to hypercalcemia is a known complication of critically ill patients...
- Should acute anterior dislocations of the shoulder be immobilized in external rotation? A cadaveric studyBruce S Miller
Orthopaedic Research Laboratories, Division of Surgery, University of New South Wales, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia 2031
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:589-92. 2004..The mean contact force at 45 degrees of ER was 83.5 g. External rotation significantly increases the labrum-glenoid contact force and may influence the healing of a Bankart lesion...
- Comparison of the Ferno Scoop Stretcher with the long backboard for spinal immobilizationJulie M Krell
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Prehosp Emerg Care 10:46-51. 2006Spinal immobilization is essential in reducing risk of further spinal injuries in trauma patients. The authors compared the traditional long backboard (LBB) with the Ferno Scoop Stretcher (FSS) (Model 65-EXL)...
- Immobilization of Himalayan tahr with a xylazine-ketamine mixture and reversal with atipamezole under field conditionsA Dematteis
CERIGEFAS Research Centre on Wildlife Management, Universita degli Studi di Torino, Fraz ne Rore, 17, 12020 Sampeyre CN, Italy
J Wildl Dis 42:633-9. 2006..Although all anesthetic dosages immobilized free-ranging tahr successfully, a quick and smooth recovery was obtained (11.1 +/- 5.6 min) only with the dosages of Group 2...
- Immobilization induced fos expression in the medial and lateral hypothalamic areas: a limited response of hypocretin neuronsAlexander Kiss
Laboratory of Functional Neuromorphology, Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Vlarska str 3, 833 06 Bratislava, Slovakia
Ideggyogy Sz 60:192-5. 2007..examined in the rat hypothalamic neurons 3 h after a single (1 x120 min) or repeated (7x 120 min) immobilization (IMO) stress...
- The occipital and sacral pressures experienced by healthy volunteers under spinal immobilization: a trial of three surfacesFintan Sheerin
School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies, University of Dublin, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
J Emerg Nurs 33:447-50. 2007....
- A highly reproducible bolus immobilization technique for the treatment of scalp malignanciesSteven H Lin
Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Med Dosim 33:30-5. 2008..We demonstrate a unique immobilization technique that maintains the bolus material on the aquaplast mesh adherent to the patient's scalp as well as ..
- [Dynamics of the behavioral response and cortisole level caused by the combined action of mexidole, diazepam, thymogen, and hyperbaric oxygenation in mice under immobilization stress conditions]V G Podsevatkin
Eksp Klin Farmakol 71:22-5. 2008Experiments on white mice under the model immobilization stress condition showed that a combined action of mexidole, diazepam, thymogen, and hyperbaric oxygenation (pathogenetic therapy) leads to optimization of the behavioral reactions, ..
- Immobilization induces anabolic resistance in human myofibrillar protein synthesis with low and high dose amino acid infusionElisa I Glover
Department of Kinesiology Exercise Metabolism Research Group, McMaster University, 1280 Main St West, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1, Canada
J Physiol 586:6049-61. 2008..We determined how 14 days of unilateral knee immobilization affected quadriceps myofibrillar protein synthesis (MPS) in young healthy subjects (10 men, 2 women, 21 +/- 1 ..
- How long should acute anterior dislocations of the shoulder be immobilized in external rotation?Markus Scheibel
Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery, Campus Virchow, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Am J Sports Med 37:1309-16. 2009b>Immobilization of the shoulder in external rotation has been shown to reduce the risk of recurrence after traumatic anteroinferior shoulder dislocation. It remains unclear how duration of immobilization affects labral coaptation.
- Immobilization impairs tactile perception and shrinks somatosensory cortical mapsSilke Lissek
Department of Neurology, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Ruhr University, D 44780 Bochum, Germany
Curr Biol 19:837-42. 2009..Here, we report that a few weeks of hand and arm immobilization by cast wearing significantly reduced hand use and impaired tactile acuity, associated with reduced activation ..
- Low-volume resistance exercise attenuates the decline in strength and muscle mass associated with immobilizationBryan R Oates
Exercise Metabolism Research Group, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1, Canada
Muscle Nerve 42:539-46. 2010..of low-volume resistance exercise (EX) for the attenuation of loss of muscle mass and strength during leg immobilization. Men (N = 5) and women (N = 12, age 24 ± 5 years, body mass index 25.4 ± 3...
- Reversibility of immobilization-induced articular cartilage degeneration after remobilization in rat knee jointsAkira Ando
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tohoku University School of Medicine, 1 1 Seiryomachi, Aoba ku, Sendai, Japan
Tohoku J Exp Med 224:77-85. 2011Joint immobilization is commonly used for the treatment of joint injuries, but it causes articular cartilage degeneration...
- Na v1.4 and Na v1.5 are modulated differently during muscle immobilization and contractile phenotype conversionFabrice Rannou
Universite de Brest, Faculte de Medecine et des Sciences de la Sante, EA 4326, Laboratoire de Physiologie, Brest, France
J Appl Physiol (1985) 111:495-507. 2011Muscle immobilization leads to modification in its fast/slow contractile phenotype...
- [Impact on reproducibility of the treatment position by improving immobilization device in image guided radiation therapy]Yuko Morita
Miyakojima IGRT Clinic Medical Corporation Shinmeikai
Nihon Hoshasen Gijutsu Gakkai Zasshi 68:254-9. 2012The immobilization device for treatment becomes important to obtain fixation and reproducibility of the treatment position...
- Chemical immobilization of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) using a combination of detomidine and ketamineSanne Melis
Department Of Surgery and Anaesthesia of Domestic Animals, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ghent, Salisburylaan, Merelbeke, Belgium
Vet Anaesth Analg 39:520-8. 2012To determine if a combination of detomidine and ketamine can be used for effective chemical immobilization of chimpanzees.
- Treatment algorithm for dens fractures: non-halo immobilization, anterior screw fixation, or posterior transarticular C1-C2 fixationMarkus R Konieczny
Department of Traumatology, General Hospital Klagenfurt, Academic Teaching Hospital of the University of Graz, Schlossmannstrasse 11, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Am 94:e144(1-6). 2012..The appropriate treatment of dens fractures is unclear. We established a staged treatment protocol for dens fractures and conducted a prospective study to evaluate the outcome of treatment based on this protocol...
- Estimating optimal shoulder immobilization postures following surgical repair of massive rotator cuff tearsM Jackson
Laboratoire de Simulation et Modélisation du Mouvement, Département de Kinésiologie, Universite de Montreal, Canada
J Biomech 46:179-82. 2013Although shoulder immobilization is commonly prescribed following surgical repair of rotator cuff tears there is no consensus about the best shoulder immobilization postures...
- [Space flight/bedrest immobilization and bone. Bone metabolism in space flight and long-duration bed rest]Hiroshi Ohshima
Space Biomedical Research Office, Flight Crew Operations and Technology Department, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, Japan
Clin Calcium 22:1803-12. 2012..JAXA and NASA are performing joint study to validate the mitigration effects on bone resorption and urolithiasis of bisphosphonate supplement in conjunction with excercise...
- Interfraction and intrafraction performance of the Gamma Knife Extend system for patient positioning and immobilizationDavid Schlesinger
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 0742, USA
J Neurosurg 117:217-24. 2012..The Extend system consists of a vacuum-monitored immobilization frame and a positioning measurement system used to determine the location of the patient's head within the ..
- Does cast immobilization contribute to posterior stability after posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction?Kyoung Ho Yoon
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, South Korea
Arthroscopy 29:500-6. 2013The purpose of this study was to confirm the contribution of long leg cast immobilization to posterior stability after reconstruction of isolated posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) injuries.
- Gene expression profile of the hippocampus of rats subjected to chronic immobilization stressXiao Hong Li
School of Pre clinical Medicine, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 8:e57621. 2013..This study systematically investigated the effect of chronic stress on the hippocampus and its damage mechanism at the whole genome level...
- Reversible immobilization of free-ranging snow leopards (panthera uncia) with a combination of medetomidine and tiletamine-zolazepamOrjan Johansson
Grimsö Wildlife Research Station, Department of Ecology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Riddarhyttan, Sweden
J Wildl Dis 49:338-46. 2013..there has been limited information available on safe capture methods, drug doses, and efficacy for effective immobilization of free-ranging snow leopards...
- Mental practice maintains range of motion despite forearm immobilization: a pilot study in healthy personsMarie O Frenkel
Department of Sport Psychology, Institute of Sport and Sport Science, University of Heidelberg, 69 115 Heidelberg, Germany
J Rehabil Med 46:225-32. 2014To determine whether mental practice of wrist movements during forearm immobilization maintains range of motion.
- Changes in canine cortical and cancellous bone mechanical properties following immobilization and remobilization with exerciseA J Kaneps
Department of Anatomy, Physiology and Cell Biology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California Davis, USA
Bone 21:419-23. 1997The purpose of this study was to assess cortical and cancellous bone responses to unilateral limb immobilization and, subsequently, to remobilization with exercise, in a young adult canine model...
- A comparison of 3 and 5 weeks immobilization for older type 1 and 2 Colles' fracturesF Vang Hansen
Department of Orthopaedics, Silkeborg Centralsygehus, Denmark
J Hand Surg Br 23:400-1. 1998..There was no significant difference in the measured parameters in the two groups. We found that 3 weeks of immobilization is a satisfactory treatment for Older type 1 and 2 Colles' fractures.
- Intravesical sodium hyaluronate inhibits the rat urinary mast cell mediator increase triggered by acute immobilization stressW S Boucher
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Urol 167:380-4. 2002..We investigated the effect of sodium hyaluronate on the activation of bladder mast cell and release of proinflammatory mediators in the urine induced by acute immobilization stress in rats.
- [Pressure sores secondary to immobilization with cervical collar: a complication of acute cervical injury]Esteban Molano Alvarez
UCI de Trauma y Emergencias, Hospital 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Enferm Intensiva 15:112-22. 2004..The occipital zone requires special attention due to the seriousness of the injuries recorded. We suggest a specific multidisciplinary protocol for this problem...
- 5-HT1A receptor activation counteracts c-Fos immunoreactivity induced in serotonin neurons of the raphe nuclei after immobilization stress in the male ratJosé Rioja
Department of Human Physiology, School of Medicine, Campus de Teatinos, Boulevard Louis Pasteur, 32, University of Malaga, 29071 Malaga, Spain
Neurosci Lett 397:190-5. 2006..the role of the 5-HT1A receptors in serotoninergic cells of rostral and caudal raphe nuclei under acute immobilization in rats...
- Morphological effects of electrical stimulation and intermittent muscle stretch after immobilization in soleus muscleA C Mattiello-Sverzut
Department of Biomechanics, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Histol Histopathol 21:957-64. 2006..study was to assess the effectiveness of a combined protocol of muscle stretching and strengthening after immobilization of the hindlimb...
- Effects of long-term immobilization and recovery on human triceps surae and collagen turnover in the Achilles tendon in patients with healing ankle fractureBritt Christensen
Institute of Sports Medicine, Bispebjerg Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, 2400 Copenhagen NV, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:420-6. 2008..present study was to analyze how human tendon connective tissue responds to an approximately 7-wk period of immobilization and a remobilization period of a similar length, in patients with unilateral ankle fracture, which is ..
- Short-term immobilization and recovery affect skeletal muscle but not collagen tissue turnover in humansBritt Christensen
Institute of Sports Medicine Copenhagen, Bispebjerg Hospital, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, 2400 Copenhagen NV, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:1845-51. 2008Not much is known about the effects of immobilization and subsequent recovery on tendon connective tissue...
- Mapping for Specialized Domains for FCeRI Signaling &InternalizationBridget S Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..for calcium flux, secretory response and cytokine production will correlate functional responses with receptor immobilization, clustering and desensitization...
- SAMUEL SCOTT MURRAY; Fiscal Year: 2014..postulated that demineralized bone matrix (DBM) contains something that "contributes slow release/immobilization characteristics to BMP", thus "reducing the amount of BMP needed" to stimulate osteogenesis...
- Microfluidic-microtiter interface for rapid large-scale screenings of C. elegansAdela Ben Yakar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Two of our recent technological innovations, ultrafast laser nanosurgery and microfluidics immobilization have made it feasible to study axonal regeneration in this genetically tractable model organism...
- Muscle Wasting in UremiaRalph Rabkin; Fiscal Year: 2012..normal and end-stage CKD patients, CKD rats with muscle wasting, and CKD rats with disuse atrophy induced by immobilization. Specific Aim 1. To evaluate the effect of uremia on GH mediated signal transduction in human skeletal muscle...
- Andrew H Hansen; Fiscal Year: 2015DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Immobilization of the ankle using a walking cast or boot is a common treatment to relieve pain...
- Ionic Liquid Gas Sensors for Detection of Flammable Gases In WorkplaceXiangqun Zeng; Fiscal Year: 2010..First, develop, characterize and optimize ionic liquid chemical interface immobilization in order to form robust, thin rigid films;Second, evaluate and validate the IL QCM sensor array for methane ..
- Sue C Bodine; Fiscal Year: 2015..studied the effects of aging on load-induced growth following a period of muscle wasting as occurs following immobilization and bed rest...
- Development of novel therapies for aging-induced skeletal muscle atrophy.SCOTT MATTHEW EBERT; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although both compounds reduce skeletal muscle atrophy during fasting, limb immobilization and muscle denervation, their effects in aging-induced skeletal muscle atrophy are not yet known...
- Katarzyna Slowinska; Fiscal Year: 2015..conformation (3) it allows incorporation of drug targeting sequence or cell penetrating vector, (4) it allows immobilization of the prodrug within a collagen matrix ...
- Polarization and directed cell movements in engineered cellular environmentsDeborah E Leckband; Fiscal Year: 2010..team possesses core competencies in microfabrication (Nuzzo), surface modification and protein immobilization (Leckband), biochemical/cell biological techniques (Wang), as well as expertise in cadherin biology (Leckband) ..
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey D Esko; Fiscal Year: 2010..Heparan sulfate proteoglycans participate in a variety of physiological processes by binding, activation or immobilization of various protein ligands...
- Teresa A Milner; Fiscal Year: 2016..electron microscopic immunocytochemistry, RT-PCR, in situ hybridization, in vitro slice electrophysiology and immobilization stress will test this hypothesis...
- Development of a 3D mammotomograph with novel techniques to overcome limitationsRandolph L McKinley; Fiscal Year: 2010..cancer patients for three purposes: (1) evaluation of a developed simple mechanism for uncompressed breast immobilization and biopsy capability;(2) evaluation of modified system on women of varying breast and body sizes to confirm ..
- Reducing wound bioburden and biofilm formation using a nanoscale wound surface enJonathan F McAnulty; Fiscal Year: 2013..nano-beads onto model wound surfaces (full and partial thickness skin wounds), using polyelectrolyte thin film immobilization methods, and evaluate their efficacy in preventing biofilm formation and biofilm dissolution in vivo;and in ..
- Hugh C Hemmings; Fiscal Year: 2016..of anesthetic action is insufficient to explain how any anesthetic produces amnesia, unconsciousness or immobilization (with increasing doses), the cardinal features of general anesthesia...
- Mehmet Fatih Yanik; Fiscal Year: 2014..The proposed high-speed whole-animal manipulation, orientation, immobilization, imaging, microsurgery, and injection platform will enable a dramatic increase in the throughput and ..
- Discovery of genes that extend yeast lifespan: Aging in immobilized cell reactorsRAPHAEL ROSENZWEIG; Fiscal Year: 2009..Specific Aims of this investigation are threefold;we will: (1) Determine in wild-type yeast whether long-term immobilization alters chronological lifespan and global gene expression relative to aging planktonic cultures;(2) Establish, ..
- The Prevalence of Blood Pressure Abnormalities among Veterans with SCIJill Wecht; Fiscal Year: 2009..SCI require additional health care, which may be related to the degree of neurologic impairment or to chronic immobilization secondary to skeletal muscle paralysis...
- Wade S Kingery; Fiscal Year: 2014..This proposal tests the hypothesis that fracture and immobilization can enhance sensory and sympathetic efferent signaling in skin keratinocytes and dorsal root ganglion (DRG) ..
- Tracy M Handel; Fiscal Year: 2015..through homo- and hetero-oligomerization which may control other steps in cell migration in addition to immobilization on GAGs...
- ANDREW ROBERT JUDGE; Fiscal Year: 2015..atrophy is a widespread physiological phenomenon and significant health problem associated with muscle disuse (immobilization, bedrest, denervation) and various diseases (cancer, sepsis, AIDS, diabetes, chronic heart failure, chronic ..
- David J Clark; Fiscal Year: 2014..Surgery, trauma and immobilization are the most common causes of this syndrome...
- Mechanical ventilation, oxidative stress, and diaphragmatic atrophyScott K Powers; Fiscal Year: 2012..provide important information for broader topics such as skeletal muscle wasting due to prolonged bed rest, immobilization, and disease states...
- Effect of Stress on Glutamate Receptors and Signaling Proteins in the BasolateralEMIL CHRIS MULY; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will use a rodent model of repeated, severe stress- repeated immobilization stress to study the effect of stress in the BLA...
- Tear-Resistant and Elastic Tissue Adhesive for Craniofacial ApplicationsSILVIA D LUEBBEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..cannot be used to repair deep dermal cuts or to close wounds that are under tensions unless sutures and/or immobilization are also used...
- Silicone-free glass pre-filled syringe system for Biological Drugs.VINAY G SAKHRANI; Fiscal Year: 2013..The TriboGlide(R) technology is based on perfluoropolyether chemistry and gas plasma immobilization to create a lubricating coating that is resistant to migration and leads to less lubricant extraction into the ..
- Realtime Monitoring of Trace Amounts of Pesticides from Water Using CarboANNE M contact SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to use carbon nanotube matrices as the active biosensor area for the effective immobilization of the pesticides through antibody based conjugation...
- Kale S Bongers; Fiscal Year: 2015..that Gadd45a and Cdkn1a mRNA levels are increased by various atrophy-promoting stresses, including aging, immobilization, fasting, and muscle denervation...
- Localized immobilization of ephrin-B2 for neurite guidance in 3D cultureMichael J Moore; Fiscal Year: 2010..we propose the following specific aims: Aim 1: Synthesize a photo-labile peptide hydrogel for localized immobilization of protein ligands...
- Hubert T Kim; Fiscal Year: 2014DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Abstract Skeletal muscle atrophy is a common complication following immobilization, nerve injury, and musculoskeletal trauma such as tendon injuries...
- Nancy L Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2016..First, the DC-SIGN molecules appear to be immobilized within the domains. Second, the origin of this immobilization is initiated in the extracellular carbohydrate recognition moiety rather than the membrane apposed ..
- Cytokine Regulation of Wound Induced Skin RegenerationAMANDA MARIE NELSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Defects in skin wound repair occur in patients with diabetes, pressure ulcers, prolonged immobilization and venous insufficiency...
- Mechanisms of Integrin-Mediated Costimulation in T CellsStephen C Bunnell; Fiscal Year: 2013..assembly and translocation of SLP-76 microclusters? 2) How does costimulation depend on the VLA-4-dependent immobilization of microclusters? 3) How does cytoskeletal tension contribute to T cell costimulation by VLA-4? These studies ..
- Stavros Thomopoulos; Fiscal Year: 2014..In acute rotator cuff repairs, protective immobilization is beneficial to healing but complete removal of loading is detrimental to healing...
- William Rich; Fiscal Year: 2014..Numerous techniques, particularly the label-free methods, require surface immobilization of one of the interacting moieties putting the species in a non-native environment...
- Point-of-care system based on single polymer nanowires for real-time, AMI diagnosMinhee Yun; Fiscal Year: 2010..This R21 application describes a plan to: (a) develop an effective method for monoclonal antibody immobilization on/into single polymer NWs (SPNWs);(b) optimize sensors by varying system and operational parameters, e.g...
- Musculoskeletal Response to Partial Weight BearingMary L Bouxsein; Fiscal Year: 2010..for preventing musculoskeletal deterioration in situations of reduced mechanical loading, such as bed rest, immobilization, stroke, spinal cord injury and age-related reductions in physical activity...
- A Microfluidic Device for Label-free HIV Virion Count at Point of Care SettingsXuanhong Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2010..The pressure build-up resulting from viral immobilization and pore blockage will be measured to calculate viral load in the original sample...
- Structure-Function of the Epithelial Sodium Channel (ENaC)WENDI MARJENE DAVID; Fiscal Year: 2013..The influence of immobilization environment on the observed binding interactions will be determined...
- Cell-based screening and selection of cyclotide-based capture reagents for proteiJulio A Camarero; Fiscal Year: 2013..Of particular interest is the use of protein trans-splicing for the immobilization of these micro-proteins onto solid supports...
- Restraint stress-induced neurogenic bladder inflammationTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2006..molecules in response to allergic triggers, as well as by direct nerve stimulation and by acute immobilization stress...
- Sensitive and multiplexed analysis of cancer biomarkers with QD barcodesXiaohu Gao; Fiscal Year: 2012..to stabilize the optical barcodes, and chemical conjugation approaches to optimize biomolecular probe immobilization. We will further carry out experiments to detect mutations on both DNA and RNA level as well as the profiles ..
- Phase 2 REAL-TIME MONITORING OF TRACE AMOUNTS OF PESTICIDES IN WATER AND FOOD USIANNE M SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose to further develop the carbon nanotube matrices active biosensor area for effective immobilization of multiple pesticides, as well as preservation and manufacturing specifications of the sensors...
- Novel Low Cost, High Throughput DNA Sequencing PlatformJames Schwaber; Fiscal Year: 2010..e. >250 bp) while using flow cells and glass immobilization technologies to maximize the number of parallel reads (i.e. ~40 million)...
- Shing Yan Chiu; Fiscal Year: 2014..We interbred the Shiverer into a background lacking a mitochondrial immobilization protein (syntaphilin) that normally contributes to the increase in axonal mitochondrial content...
- Brendan A Harley; Fiscal Year: 2015..Aim 2 will test the hypothesis that temporally-organized biomolecule immobilization and release can enhance tenocyte bioactivity...
- DANIEL KENNETH FOX; Fiscal Year: 2015..and others found that Gadd45a mRNA is increased by a variety of stresses that cause muscle atrophy, including immobilization, denervation, fasting and aging...
- Local Sleep Regulation and Brain PlasticityGiulio Tononi; Fiscal Year: 2010..test the converse prediction that procedures leading to a local depression of synaptic circuits, such as arm immobilization, should lead to a local decrease in SWA during subsequent sleep...
- Microbubble Infused Hydrogels for Cartilage Tissue EngineeringClark T Hung; Fiscal Year: 2012..generates micropores that are homogeneously distributed within the gels, while enabling the direct ab initio immobilization of cels within the gels...
- BRIAN GLENN JAMIESON; Fiscal Year: 2014..of these probes by;1) improving functionalized probe fabrication by adjusting aptamer molecule modifications, immobilization technique, and electrical signal detection to achieve the best possible sensitivity and time response and 2) ..
- Precision Particle Fabrication-enabled Betamethasone-loaded Microspheres for TranMilind Singh; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will then determine the optimal microsphere immobilization strategy to enable RWM localization for a minimum of 14 days with minimal toxicity (Aim 2)...
- DNA Sequencing and NanotechnologyNyoté J Oliver; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Protein immobilization has advanced significantly allowing for its application in a wide variety of areas including biosensors and nanotechnology...
- Troy A Hornberger; Fiscal Year: 2016..Furthermore, the outcomes could lead to the identification of targets for therapies that mimic the effects of mechanical stimuli and, in-turn, prevent atrophy during periods of disuse such as bedrest, immobilization and aging.
- HYALURONIC ACID/TGF-B COMPOSITE TO TREAT OSTEOARTHRITISSTEVEN KINCAID; Fiscal Year: 1991..Joint Immobilization Study: Atrophic articular cartilage containing chondrocytes with minimal synthetic activity will be produced ..
- Leonard S Jefferson; Fiscal Year: 2015..lead to loss of muscle mass including sedentary life styles, chronic bed rest, casting, limb suspension, and immobilization. Each of these inactivity-related conditions is thought to share a common feature, i.e...
- Engineering Multi-Tissue InterfacesPaul H Krebsbach; Fiscal Year: 2012..Three different immobilization models will be developed in this specific aim to gain maximal control of viral release through a dynamic ..
- Molecular Signatures of Muscle RehabilitationKrista Vandenborne; Fiscal Year: 2009..Following cast-immobilization, subjects will be enrolled in a standardized 6-week rehabilitation program (3 sessions/week) focusing on ..
- Bioadhesive Membrane Construct for Hernia RepairNEIL WINTERBOTTOM; Fiscal Year: 2010..Equally important, effective immobilization of the mesh against the abdominal wall is critical to hernia repair success...
- BRIAN GLENN JAMIESON; Fiscal Year: 2014..of these probes by;1) improving functionalized probe fabrication by adjusting aptamer molecule modifications, immobilization technique, and electrical signal detection to achieve the best possible sensitivity and time response, 2) ..
- Label-free and simultaneous detection of multiple bacterial pathogens and virulenHAO HOWARD XU; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed experiments will also explore chemistry for probe immobilization (chip fabrication) and compare the SPRi results to data obtained with microarray methods used during probe ..
- The Interaction of Mechanical Load and Inflammation in Tendon-Bone HealingScott A Rodeo; Fiscal Year: 2010..relative tendon-bone interface motion will improve healing only if it is applied after an initial period of immobilization to allow resolution of acute inflammation and initiation of early healing...
- DANIEL DAVID BIKLE; Fiscal Year: 2016..signaling in the skeletal response to load, results critical to our understanding of bone loss during skeletal immobilization from a variety of causes including paralysis and prolonged immobilization following injury or sickness...
- BRIAN GLENN JAMIESON; Fiscal Year: 2014..of these probes by;1) improving functionalized probe fabrication by adjusting aptamer molecule modifications, immobilization technique, and electrical signal detection to achieve the best possible sensitivity and time response, 2) ..
- CORTICOTROPIN RELEASING HORMONE INDUCED DURA MAST CELL ATheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2001..Acute psychological stress by immobilization triggered dura mast cell degranulation and resulted in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) increase of rat mast cell ..
- Adaptive High Intensity Electrical Stimulation for Post-Surgical RehabilitationEric Hartman; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Recovery of quadriceps muscle force following post-surgical knee immobilization is a significant therapeutic aim which is associated with quality of gait and the ability to perform activities of daily ..
- Novel Chelators for Highly Efficient Removal of Toxic Heavy Metals in HumansCharles Timchalk; Fiscal Year: 2009..Since the 1940s, in vivo toxic metal immobilization has involved the use of ethylenediamine-tetraacetate (EDTA) or dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) following metal ..
- HYBRID ARTIFICIAL LIVER USING IMMOBILIZED HEPATOCYTESRonald Tompkins; Fiscal Year: 1991The objective is the immobilization of hepatocytes for use in an artificial liver device. Hepatocytes will be isolated by established techniques using collagenase digestion and immobilized in a sodium alginate gel matrix...
- Myofilament Protein Isoforms in Neuromuscular ReflexJian Ping Jin; Fiscal Year: 2005..It has been found that spastic muscles have increased type I (slow) fibers. Cerebral palsy, joint immobilization and tenotomy, three very different original conditions which cause muscle contracture, have a common ..
- IMMUNOBIOLOGICAL ROLE OF FERTILIZATION ANTIGEN (FA-1)RAJESH NAZ; Fiscal Year: 1993..hamster ova and inhibited in vitro fertilization of mouse ova by murine sperm without causing agglutination or immobilization of sperm...
- Christopher Cardozo; Fiscal Year: 2014..A significant impediment to rehabilitation is muscle atrophy as a consequence of paralysis, immobilization, medications, and chronic illness...
- Breast CT scanner for earlier cancer detectionJohn Boone; Fiscal Year: 2002..produce a scanner capable of 10 second breast scanning, and the scanner development will also include a breast immobilization system (acrylic cylinders), a breast CT table, a fast reconstruction computer, and a computer workstation ..
- An Endothelial Progenitor Cell-Specific Nanofibrous Vascular GraftLisa Fitzgerald; Fiscal Year: 2009..synthesize and characterize in vitro a novel nanofibrous vascular graft material using our electrospinning and immobilization technology that would direct rapid adhesion and subsequent growth of circulating progenitor and more mature ..
- Rotator cuff tendon to bone insertion site healingLouis J Soslowsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Immobilization was found to result in better healing than either cage activity or exercise and the longer the period of ..
- IMMOBILIZED CELL FREE TRANSLATION SYSTEMSWilliam Scouten; Fiscal Year: 1992..in a way, an extension of the investigators laboratory's interest in solid phase biochemistry and biomolecule immobilization. The investigators will formulate their initial attempts to prepare an immobilized protein synthesis system ..
- Biomedical Polymers With Heparin-Binding End GroupsRobert Ward; Fiscal Year: 2004Endpoint immobilization of heparin on the surface of polymeric biomaterials is a well-established method for improving thrombo-resistance...