- A liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometric multi-mycotoxin method for the quantification of 87 analytes and its application to semi-quantitative screening of moldy food samples
Christian Doppler Laboratory for Mycotoxin Research, Department IFA Tulln, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Konrad Lorenzstr 20, 3430 Tulln, Austria
Anal Bioanal Chem 389:1505-23. 2007
- n-3 fatty acid dietary recommendations and food sources to achieve essentiality and cardiovascular benefits
Sarah K Gebauer
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 83:1526S-1535S. 2006
..Foods enriched with EPA and DHA or fish oil supplements are a suitable alternate to achieve recommended intakes and may be necessary to achieve intakes of 1 g/d...
- Metal oxide sensors for electronic noses and their application to food analysis
CSIRO Entomology and CSIRO Food Futures Flagship, GPO Box 1700, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Sensors (Basel) 10:3882-910. 2010
..Applications of E-noses to a wide range of foods and beverages are considered, including: meat, fish, grains, alcoholic drinks, non-alcoholic drinks, fruits, milk and dairy products, olive oils, nuts, fresh vegetables and eggs...
- A 21st century technique for food control: electronic noses
Departamento de Quimica, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, 46071 Valencia, Spain
Anal Chim Acta 638:1-15. 2009
..Finally, some interesting remarks concerning the strengths and weaknesses of electronic noses in food control are also mentioned...
- Aptamer-targeted magnetic nanospheres as a solid-phase extraction sorbent for determination of ochratoxin A in food samples
College of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences, Wuhan University, Luojiashan, Wuhan, China
J Chromatogr A 1218:7341-6. 2011
..5-50 μg/kg yielded mean recoveries from 67% to 90%, respectively. Finally, this oligosorbent was applied to the selective extraction of ochratoxin A from unfortified food samples...
- Selenium speciation from food source to metabolites: a critical review
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Ghent University, Proeftuinstraat 86, 9000, Ghent, Belgium
Anal Bioanal Chem 385:1304-23. 2006
..This review includes a detailed image of the current state-of-the-art of Se speciation analysis in these food sources and in human tissues and body fluids...
- Selection and identification of ssDNA aptamers recognizing zearalenone
State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology, School of Food Science and Technology, Jiangnan University, Wuxi, China
Anal Bioanal Chem 405:6573-81. 2013
..85 × 10(-10) M. The selected aptamers are expected to be used in the potential development of affinity columns, biosensors, or other analytical systems for the determination of ZEN in food and agricultural products...
- A signal-on fluorescent aptasensor based on Tb3+ and structure-switching aptamer for label-free detection of Ochratoxin A in wheat
The Ministry of Education Key Laboratory of Biopesticide and Chemical Biology, and College of Life Sciences, Fujian Agriculture and Forestry University, Fuzhou, Fujian 350002, China
Biosens Bioelectron 41:704-9. 2013
..To the best of our knowledge, the proposed aptasensor is the first attempt to use the fluorescent characteristics of Tb(3+) for OTA detection, which may represent a promising path toward routine quality control of food safety...
- Correlation between some nutritional components and the total antioxidant capacity measured with six different assays in eight horticultural crops
Rene D Corral-Aguayo
Facultad de Ciencias Naturales, Universidad Autonoma de Queretaro, Juriquilla, Queretaro, Mexico
J Agric Food Chem 56:10498-504. 2008
..From HPE, vitamin C and TSP contents were highly correlated with AOC for all assays, while from LPE, TC and beta-carotene contents possessed a high correlation with AOC only in the DMPD assay...
- Food analysis and food authentication by peptide nucleic acid (PNA)-based technologies
Department of Organic and Industrial Chemistry, University of Parma, Parco Area delle Scienze 17A, University Campus, I 43124, Parma, Italy
Chem Soc Rev 40:221-32. 2011
..and their use as genetic probes, the review will then focus specifically on the use of PNAs in the field of food analysis. In particular, the following issues will be considered: detection of genetically modified organisms (GMOs), ..
- Novel approaches in analysis of Fusarium mycotoxins in cereals employing ultra performance liquid chromatography coupled with high resolution mass spectrometry
Institute of Chemical Technology, Faculty of Food and Biochemical Technology, Department of Food Chemistry and Analysis, Technicka 3, 166 28 Prague 6, Czech Republic
Anal Chim Acta 662:51-61. 2010
..401/2006, also their potential to be used for confirmatory purposes according to Commission Decision 2002/657/EC has been critically assessed...
- Food, not nutrients, is the fundamental unit in nutrition
David R Jacobs
School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 1300 S 2nd Street, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Nutr Rev 65:439-50. 2007
..Finally, the argument is made that evidence from interventions points back to the central position of food in the relationship between nutrition and health, a position that begs for more whole food-based research...
- The total antioxidant content of more than 3100 foods, beverages, spices, herbs and supplements used worldwide
Monica H Carlsen
Department of Nutrition, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Nutr J 9:3. 2010
..This database is intended for use in a wide range of nutritional research, from in vitro and cell and animal studies, to clinical trials and nutritional epidemiological studies...
- PCR technology for screening and quantification of genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
National Veterinary Institute, P O Box 8156 Dep, 0033, Oslo, Norway
Anal Bioanal Chem 375:985-93. 2003
..In addition, we will discuss some of the major challenges related to determination of the limits of detection (LOD) and quantification (LOQ), and to validation of methods...
- Fabricated aptamer-based electrochemical "signal-off" sensor of ochratoxin A
State Key Lab of Food Science and Technology, School of Food Science and Technology, Jiangnan University, 1800 Lihu Road, Wuxi, Jiangsu 214122, PR China
Biosens Bioelectron 26:710-6. 2010
..Given its sensitivity and rapid detection, we believe this approach has the potential to be a main technology for the detection of toxins in the field of food safety, and in other areas...
- A direct method for fatty acid methyl ester synthesis: application to wet meat tissues, oils, and feedstuffs
J R Busboom
Department of Animal Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman 99164, USA
J Anim Sci 85:1511-21. 2007
..The method saves time and effort and is economical when compared with other methods. Its unique performance, including easy sample preparation, is achieved because water is included rather than eliminated in the FAME reaction mixtures...
- Dietary sources of sodium in China, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States, women and men aged 40 to 59 years: the INTERMAP study
Cheryl A M Anderson
Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 110:736-45. 2010
..To avoid excess sodium intake in Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States, salt must be reduced in commercially processed foods...
- Dietary intake and major food sources of polyphenols in Finnish adults
Marja Leena Ovaskainen
Department of Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention, Nutrition Unit, National Public Health Institute, FI 00300 Helsinki, Finland
J Nutr 138:562-6. 2008
..The results give additional support to the recommendations for a varied diet with fruits, berries, cereals, and vegetables...
- Toward a generic extraction method for simultaneous determination of pesticides, mycotoxins, plant toxins, and veterinary drugs in feed and food matrixes
Hans G J Mol
RIKILT Institute of Food Safety, Wageningen University and Research Centre, Bornsesteeg 45, 6708 PD Wageningen, The Netherlands
Anal Chem 80:9450-9. 2008
..The results clearly demonstrate the feasibility of the generic approach proposed. Application of the method in routine monitoring programs would imply a drastic reduction of both effort and time...
- Bioavailability and bioefficacy of polyphenols in humans. I. Review of 97 bioavailability studies
Unité des Maladies Métaboliques et Micronutriments, INRA, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Am J Clin Nutr 81:230S-242S. 2005
..Data are still too limited for assessment of hydroxycinnamic acids and other polyphenols. These data may be useful for the design and interpretation of intervention studies investigating the health effects of polyphenols...
- Fingerprinting food: current technologies for the detection of food adulteration and contamination
David I Ellis
School of Chemistry, Manchester Institute of Biotechnology, University of Manchester, 131 Princess Street, Manchester M1 7ND, UK
Chem Soc Rev 41:5706-27. 2012
..It is hoped that this introductory overview acts as a springboard for researchers in science, technology, engineering, and industry, in this era of systems-level thinking and interdisciplinary approaches to new and contemporary problems...
- Novel approaches for selenium speciation in foodstuffs and biological specimens: a review
Departamento de Quimica Analitica, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Avda Complutense s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Anal Chim Acta 634:135-52. 2009
- Methods for detection of GMOs in food and feed
Department of Environmental Sciences, Division of Genetics and Environmental Biotechnology, University of Parma, Viale G P Usberti 11A, 43100, Parma, Italy
Anal Bioanal Chem 392:369-84. 2008
..Particular attention is paid to methods able to identify multiple GM events in a single reaction and to the development of microdevices and microsensors, though they have not been fully validated for application...
- Chemiluminescence detection in liquid chromatography: applications to clinical, pharmaceutical, environmental and food analysis--a review
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences, Campus Fuentenueva, University of Granada, E 18071 Granada, Spain
Anal Chim Acta 640:7-28. 2009
..a wide variety of analytical methods have been developed in clinical, pharmaceutical, environmental and food analysis. In this review, applications of the HPLC-CL coupling in those different fields have been included and ..
- Real-time polymerase chain reaction based assays for quantitative detection of barley, rice, sunflower, and wheat
Molecular Genetics Department, Institut de Biologia Molecular de Barcelona IBMB, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Jordi Girona Salgado 18 26, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 53:7003-9. 2005
..The assays were finally adapted to conventional PCR for detection purposes, with the exception of the wheat assay, which detects rye simultaneously with similar sensitivity in an agarose gel...
- Fusarium toxins in wheat flour collected in an area in southwest Germany
Institute of Animal Nutrition, Hohenheim University, Stuttgart, Germany
Int J Food Microbiol 72:85-9. 2002
..The median DON content was significantly (P<0.05) higher for wheat flour originating from wheat of conventional than of organic production...
- Supervised pattern recognition in food analysis
Luis A Berrueta
Departamento de Quimica Analitica, Facultad de Ciencia y Tecnologia, Universidad del Pais Vasco Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea, P O Box 644, E 48080 Bilbao, Spain
J Chromatogr A 1158:196-214. 2007
..The basis of the supervised pattern recognition techniques mostly used in food analysis are reviewed, making special emphasis on the practical requirements of the measured data and discussing common ..
- Trans fatty acids and cardiovascular disease
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 354:1601-13. 2006
- Cell-based biosensor for rapid screening of pathogens and toxins
Laboratory of Food Microbiology and Immunochemistry, Alabama A and M University, Normal, AL 35762, USA
Biosens Bioelectron 26:99-106. 2010
..These data present promising evidence for possible application of this biosensor for rapid detection of multiple pathogens or toxins for food defense and food safety application...
- A review on novel developments and applications of immunosensors in food analysis
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Chimiche, Universita di Roma Tor Vergata, Via della Ricerca Scientifica, 00133 Rome, Italy
Anal Chim Acta 605:111-29. 2007
The present review deals with novel developments in immunosensors destined for final application in food analysis. In this perspective particular emphasis will be given to the most important approaches which recently have been used for ..
- First screening method for the simultaneous detection of seven allergens by liquid chromatography mass spectrometry
Eurofins Analytik, Neuländer Kamp 1, 21079 Hamburg, Germany
J Chromatogr A 1218:938-43. 2011
..Detected concentrations ranged from 10 to 1000 μg/g, demonstrating that the mass spectrometric based method is a useful tool for allergen screening...
- Applications of solid-phase microextraction in food analysis
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama University, Tsushima, Japan
J Chromatogr A 880:35-62. 2000
b>Food analysis is important for the evaluation of the nutritional value and quality of fresh and processed products, and for monitoring food additives and other toxic contaminants...
- Determination of benzo[a]pyrene in charcoal grilled meat samples by HPLC with fluorescence detection
S Fatma Aygün
Science and Arts Faculty, Department of Chemistry, Ondokuz Mayis University, 55139 Kurupelit, Samsun, Turkey
Int J Food Sci Nutr 56:581-5. 2005
..The BaP levels determined in grilled and over-grilled lamb and beef meats were 43.80 +/- 1.80 microg/kg, 31.33 +/- 0.94 microg/kg and 62.60 +/- 3.72 microg/kg, 37.60 +/- 3.84 microg/kg, respectively...
- Novel highly-performing immunosensor-based strategy for ochratoxin A detection in wine samples
BIOMEM, Universite de Perpignan, Perpignan Cedex, France
Biosens Bioelectron 23:995-1002. 2008
..Considering 80% of antibody binding as the limit of detection, values of 0.7 and 0.3 ng/mL for HRP- and ALP-labelled immunosensors respectively, validate these immunosensors as useful screening tools to assess OTA levels in wine...
- Application of computer-assisted molecular modeling for immunoassay of low molecular weight food contaminants: A review
Zhen Lin Xu
College of Food Science, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou 510642, China
Anal Chim Acta 647:125-36. 2009
..The fundamentals and theory, programs and software, limitations, and prospects of CAMM in immunoassay development were also discussed...
- Refining the threshold of toxicological concern (TTC) for risk prioritization of trace chemicals in food
Procter and Gamble Company, Cincinnati, OH 45253, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 47:2236-45. 2009
..Whereas the existing TTC exposure limits assume a lifetime of exposure, human exposure to unintended chemicals in food is often only for a limited time. Recommendations are made to refine the approach for less-than-lifetime exposures...
- Exposure to dioxin-like pollutants via different food commodities in Swedish children and young adults
Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, P O Box 210, SE 171 77, Stockholm, Sweden
Food Chem Toxicol 46:3360-7. 2008
- Colloidal gold probe-based immunochromatographic assay for the rapid detection of brevetoxins in fishery product samples
Key Laboratory of Zoonosis Research, Ministry of Education, Institute of Zoonosis, Jilin University, Changchun 130062, PR China
Biosens Bioelectron 24:2744-7. 2009
..This qualitative test based on the visual evaluation of results did not require any equipment. The assay time for PbTx detection was less than 10 min, suitable for rapid testing on-site...
- Determination of melamine in milk-based products and other food and beverage products by ion-pair liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry
Research Institute for Pesticides and Water, University Jaume I, E 12071, Castellon, Spain
Anal Chim Acta 649:91-7. 2009
..Accuracy of the method was also assessed by applying it to a milk-based product and a baking mix material as part of an EU proficiency test, in which highly satisfactory results were obtained...
- Significant decreasing trend in human dietary exposure to PCDD/PCDFs and PCBs in Catalonia, Spain
Juan M Llobet
GRET CERETOX, School of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, Avgda Joan XXIII s n, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Toxicol Lett 178:117-26. 2008
..The current estimated intake for an adult male, 1.12 pg WHO-TEQ/kg body weight per day, is lower than most intakes recently reported in a number of countries over the world...
- Validation and comparison of a sandwich ELISA, two competitive ELISAs and a real-time PCR method for the detection of lupine in food
Department of Analytical Chemistry, University of Vienna, Währinger Straße 38, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Food Chem 141:407-18. 2013
..In addition, the methods were applied to the analysis of commercial foodstuffs differing in their labelling...
- Biosensors based on screen-printing technology, and their applications in environmental and food analysis
Laboratory for Quality Control and Process Monitoring, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Bucharest, 4 12 Blvd Regina Elisabeta, 030018, Bucharest 3, Romania
Anal Bioanal Chem 388:565-78. 2007
..Theoretical aspects are exemplified by practical environmental and food-analysis applications of screen-printed, electrode-based biosensors...
- Development and validation of a method for the quantification of milk proteins in food products based on liquid chromatography with mass spectrometric detection
Nestle Research Centre, Quality and Safety Department, Vers chez les Blanc, PO Box 44, 1000 Lausanne 26, Switzerland
J AOAC Int 94:1043-59. 2011
..The obtained validation data show that the described LC/SRM-MS/MS approach can serve as a confirmatory method for the determination of milk traces in selected food matrixes...
- Determination of 13 synthetic food colorants in water-soluble foods by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with diode-array detector
Katerina S Minioti
Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Athens, Panepistimioupolis Zografou, 15771 Athens, Greece
Anal Chim Acta 583:103-10. 2007
..The method was applied to the determination of colorants in various water-soluble foods, such as fruit flavoured drinks, alcoholic drinks, jams, sugar confectionery and sweets, with simple pre-treatment (dilution or water extraction)...
- Development of a polyclonal antibody-based enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for detection of Sunset Yellow FCF in food samples
College of Pharmacy, State Key Laboratory of Medicinal Chemical Biology and Tianjin Key Laboratory of Molecular Drug Research, Nankai University, Tianjin, China
Talanta 99:125-31. 2012
..The results suggest that this ELISA method is a specific, sensitive and simple method for the determination of Sunset Yellow FCF additives...
- Sequential (step-by-step) detection, identification and quantitation of extra virgin olive oil adulteration by chemometric treatment of chromatographic profiles
F Priego Capote
Department of Analytical Chemistry, University of Cordoba, Annex C 3 Building, Campus of Rabanales, 14071, Cordoba, Spain
Anal Bioanal Chem 388:1859-65. 2007
..90 for calibration and validation sets and thus made it possible to determine adulteration with excellent precision according to the Shenk criteria...
- Melamine detection by mid- and near-infrared (MIR/NIR) spectroscopy: a quick and sensitive method for dairy products analysis including liquid milk, infant formula, and milk powder
Roman M Balabin
Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, ETH Zurich, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Talanta 85:562-8. 2011
..It can be concluded that mid- and near-infrared spectroscopy can be regarded as a quick, sensitive, robust, and low-cost method for liquid milk, infant formula, and milk powder analysis...
- Rapid white truffle headspace analysis by proton transfer reaction mass spectrometry and comparison with solid-phase microextraction coupled with gas chromatography/mass spectrometry
IASMA Research Center, Agri Food Quality Department, Via E Mach 1, 38010 S Michele all Adige TN, Italy
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 21:2564-72. 2007
..Our work indicates that, after preliminary comparison with GC data, PTR-MS is a new tool for the rapid, quantitative and non-invasive characterization of white truffle by direct headspace injection without any pre-concentration...
- Dioxins, furans and dioxin-like PCBs: occurrence in food and dietary intake in France
AFSSA, 27 31 Avenue du Général Leclerc, F 94701 Maisons Alfort, France
Food Addit Contam 24:1007-17. 2007
..A life-long intake estimate showed that a non-negligible part of the French population (between 20 and 28%) had an intake above the tolerable monthly intake for dioxins and dioxin-like PCBs of 70 pg WHO-TEQ kg(-1) b.w. month(-1)...
- A nanosilver-based spectrophotometry method for sensitive determination of tartrazine in food samples
Department of Chemistry, ILam University, Ilam, Iran
Food Chem 138:1239-42. 2013
..98% (n=10). The method was successfully applied to the determination of tartrazine in lemon, and papaya-flavoured gelatin, candy, and in fruit syrup...
- Application of a liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method for the simultaneous detection of seven allergenic foods in flour and bread and comparison of the method with commercially available ELISA test kits
Eurofins Analytik GmbH, Grossmoorbogen 25, 21079 Hamburg, Germany
J AOAC Int 94:1060-8. 2011
..Similar results were obtained when analyzing egg; however, one kit was capable of detecting egg in the processed samples as well...
- Analysis of agricultural commodities and foods for Alternaria mycotoxins
P M Scott
Health Canada, Health Products and Food Branch, Food Research Division, Sir Frederick G Banting Research Centre, Ottawa, ON
J AOAC Int 84:1809-17. 2001
..They have been found also in processed fruit products such as apple juice, other fruit beverages and tomato products, wheat and other grains, sunflower seeds, oilseed rape meal, and pecans...
- Aptamers: a promosing tool for ochratoxin A detection in food analysis
Images, Universite de Perpignan, 52 Avenue Paul Alduy, Perpignan Cedex 66860, France
Toxins (Basel) 5:1988-2008. 2013
..In this brief review, we present an overview of aptamer-based assays and their applications in OTA purification and detection, appeared in the literature in the last five years. ..
- Fast and simultaneous detection of heavy metals using a simple and reliable microchip-electrochemistry route: An alternative approach to food analysis
Sensor Research Unit, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Phyathai, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Talanta 74:683-9. 2008
..The results obtained allow the proposed microchip CE-ED acts as an alternative approach for metal analysis in foods...
- Application of the TTC concept to unknown substances found in analysis of foods
TNO, Utrechtseweg 48, P O Box 360, NL 3700, AJ Zeist, The Netherlands
Food Chem Toxicol 49:1643-60. 2011
..By following this step-wise approach, it may be possible to apply a TTC threshold of 90 μg/day for an unknown substance in food...
- Food analysis on microfluidic devices using ultrasensitive carbon nanotubes detectors
A González Crevillén
Department of Analytical Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University of Alcala, E 28871 Alcala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
Anal Chem 79:7408-15. 2007
..from unmodified screen-printed electrodes, turning MWCNT into an ideal material for electrochemical sensing in food analysis. Resolution was improved by a factor of 2, and sensitivity was dramatically enhanced with amplification ..
- Determination of acrylamide levels in selected foods in Brazil
Adriana Pavesi Arisseto
Department of Food Science, State University of Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Food Addit Contam 24:236-41. 2007
..These results are comparable with those reported in other countries...
- Analysis of acrylamide in food products by in-line preconcentration capillary zone electrophoresis
Department of Analytical Chemistry, University of Barcelona, Marti i Franques, 1 11, E 08028, Barcelona, Spain
J Chromatogr A 1129:129-34. 2006
- Acrylamide levels in Finnish foodstuffs analysed with liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry
Chemistry and Toxicology Unit, Finnish National Food Safety Authority, Helsinki, Finland
Mol Nutr Food Res 51:239-47. 2007
..Acrylamide was detected at levels, ranging from nondetectable to 1480 microg/kg level in solid food, with crisp bread exhibiting the highest levels. In drinks, the highest value (29 microg/L) was found in regular coffee drinks...
- Determination of acrylamide in coffee and coffee products by GC-MS using an improved SPE clean-up
REQUIMTE Faculty of Pharmacy of Porto, Bromatologia, Rua Anibal Cunha, 164, Porto, P 4050 047, Portugal
Food Addit Contam 23:1276-82. 2006
..The levels of AA were in the range 11.4-36.2 microg l-1 for 'espresso coffee' and 200.8-229.4 microg l-1 for coffee blends with cereals. The results indicate that the presence of cereals significantly increased the levels of AA...
- Determination of acrylamide in Chinese traditional carbohydrate-rich foods using gas chromatography with micro-electron capture detector and isotope dilution liquid chromatography combined with electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Biosystems Engineering and Food Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310029, Zhejiang Province, PR China
Anal Chim Acta 584:322-32. 2007
..The concentrations determined with the two different quantitative methods corresponded well with each other. A convenient and fast pretreatment procedure will be optimized in order to satisfy further investigation of hundreds of samples...
- Evaluation of a polymerase chain reaction-based heteroduplex assay for detecting the adulteration of processed orange juice with mandarin juice
Leatherhead Food International Ltd, Leatherhead, Surrey KT227RY, United Kingdom
J AOAC Int 89:1052-60. 2006
..Mandarin juice contained approximately 18% (w/v) less PCR target sequence than did orange juice. The assay was tested in a blind trial using processed juices and correctly identified 20/22 samples with no false-positive results...
- Food contaminant analysis at high resolution mass spectrometry: application for the determination of veterinary drugs in milk
Group Analytical Chemistry of Contaminants, Department of Hydrogeology and Analytical Chemistry, Agrifood Campus of International Excellence, ceiA3, University of Almeria, E 04071 Almeria, Spain
J Chromatogr A 1218:9353-65. 2011
..The proposed method can be used in routine analysis, providing reliable results...
- Determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in food samples by automated on-line in-tube solid-phase microextraction coupled with high-performance liquid chromatography-fluorescence detection
School of Pharmacy, Shujitsu University, 1 6 1, Nishigawara Naka ku, Okayama 703 8516, Japan
J Chromatogr A 1217:5555-63. 2010
..This method was also utilized to assess the release of PAHs from tea leaves into the liquor...
- Benefits and pitfalls of the application of screening methods for the analysis of pesticide residues in fruits and vegetables
Pesticide Residue Research Group, University of Almeria, 04120 Almeria, Spain
J Chromatogr A 1218:7615-26. 2011
..These drawbacks should be improved in the future for its effective implementation in routine residue analysis...
- Recent advances in the application of capillary electromigration methods for food analysis
Department of Food Analysis, Institute of Industrial Fermentations, Madrid, Spain
Electrophoresis 29:294-309. 2008
..The use of microchips as well as other foreseen trends in food analysis by CE are discussed...
- Fatty acid profiles of fin fish in Langkawi Island, Malaysia
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, International Islamic University Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Oleo Sci 56:107-13. 2007
..Based on DHA, EPA and arachidonic acid (AA) contents, "gelama kling" was found to be the best source (23, 11 and 7%, respectively) followed by "kerapu" (21, 10, 9%) and "sebalah" (19, 14, 4%)...
- Use of specific peptide biomarkers for quantitative confirmation of hidden allergenic peanut proteins Ara h 2 and Ara h 3/4 for food control by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry
Dipartimento di Chimica Generale ed Inorganica, Chimica Analitica, Chimica Fisica, Universita degli Studi di Parma, Viale Usberti 17 A, 43100 Parma, Italy
Anal Bioanal Chem 389:1901-7. 2007
..Method selectivity was demonstrated by analyzing tree nuts (almonds, pecan nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts) and food ingredients such as milk, soy beans, chocolate, cornflakes, and rice crisp...
- Sampling analytes from cheese products for fast detection using neutral desorption extractive electrospray ionization mass spectrometry
Department of Applied Chemistry, East China Institute of Technology, Fuzhou 344000, China
Anal Bioanal Chem 397:1549-56. 2010
The development of analytical techniques suitable for sensitive, high-throughput, and nondestructive food analysis has been of increasing interest in recent years...
- Use of slurry sampling for the direct determination of zinc in yogurt by high resolution-continuum source flame atomic absorption spectrometry
Geovani C Brandao
Universidade Federal da Bahia, Instituto de Quimica, Grupo de Pesquisa em Química e Quimiometria, Campus Ondina, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Talanta 81:1357-9. 2010
..The samples were also analyzed after acid digestion and zinc determination by FAAS. No statistical difference was observed between the results obtained by both of the procedures performed...
- Proteomic approach for the detection of chicken mechanically recovered meat
School of Biological Sciences, Royal Holloway University of London, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, UK
Meat Sci 89:233-7. 2011
..Potential chicken mechanically recovered meat markers--hemoglobin subunits and those similar to myosin-binding protein C were also identified...
- Application of isotope dilution mass spectrometry: determination of ochratoxin A in the Canadian Total Diet Study
Health Canada Sante Canada, Ontario Region, Food Laboratories Division, 2301 Midland Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 28:754-61. 2011
..The results indicate that 73% (102/140) of the samples had detectable levels of OTA, with some of the highest levels of OTA contamination found in the Canadian bread supply...
- Development of an improved high resolution mass spectrometry based multi-residue method for veterinary drugs in various food matrices
Official Food Control Authority, Zurich, Switzerland
Anal Chim Acta 700:86-94. 2011
..These improvements are attributed to the higher resolution (50,000 versus 12,000 FWHM) and the superior mass stability of the of the Orbitrap over the previously utilized TOF instrument...
- Current perspectives and recommendations for the development of mass spectrometry methods for the determination of allergens in foods
Phil E Johnson
Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Colney, Norwich, UK
J AOAC Int 94:1026-33. 2011
- Recent advances in the application of capillary electromigration methods for food analysis and Foodomics
Laboratory of Foodomics, Institute of Food Science Research CIAL, CSIC, Madrid, Spain
Electrophoresis 33:147-67. 2012
..The use of microchips, CE-MS and chiral-CE in food analysis is also discussed as well as other current and foreseen trends in this area of research including new ..
- Applications of liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry for food analysis
Vita Di Stefano
Department of Molecular and Biomolecular Sciences and Technologies STEMBIO, University of Palermo, Via Archirafi 32, 90123 Palermo, Italy
J Chromatogr A 1259:74-85. 2012
..Finally, one of the most important features, the characterization of food quality (including problems of authentication and adulteration) is discussed, together with a future outlook on future directions...
- Investigation of the correlation of the acrylamide content and the antioxidant activity of model cookies
European Commission, Directorate General Joint Research Centre, Institute for Reference Materials and Measurements, Retieseweg 111, 2440 Geel, Belgium
J Agric Food Chem 54:853-9. 2006
..However, a simple model for the prediction of acrylamide contents and the AOA of samples from the baking time, color, protein, or moisture content of the samples was not found...
- Accurate-mass databases for comprehensive screening of pesticide residues in food by fast liquid chromatography time-of-flight mass spectrometry
Community Reference Laboratory DG SANCO for Residues of Pesticides in Fruits and Vegetables, Pesticide Residue Research Group, Department of Hydrogeology and Analytical Chemistry, University of Almeria, 04120 La Cañada de San Urbano, Almeria, Spain
Anal Chem 81:913-29. 2009
- Fluoride, calcium and magnesium intake in children living in a high-fluoride area in Ethiopia. Intake through food
M K Malde
University of Bergen, Department of Odontology, Arstadveien 17, N 5009 Bergen, Norway
Int J Paediatr Dent 14:167-74. 2004
..The aim of this study was to assess the daily dietary fluoride intake in children living in two neighbouring villages in the Wonji Shoa Sugar Estate, a rural part of the Ethiopian Rift Valley...
- Daily intake of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins/polychlorinated dibenzofurans (PCDD/PCDFs) in foodstuffs consumed in Tarragona, Spain: a review of recent studies (2001-2003) on human PCDD/PCDF exposure through the diet
Laboratory of Toxicology and Environmental Health, School of Medicine, Rovira i Virgili University, San Lorenzo 21, 43201 Reus, Spain
Environ Res 97:1-9. 2005
..Finally, the current intake is compared with the dietary intakes of PCDD/Fs recently (2001-2003) reported for a number of regions and countries...
- Comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography of complex samples by using a 'reversed-type' column combination: application to food analysis
Department of Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy, Vrije Universiteit, De Boelelaan 1083, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Chromatogr A 1054:47-55. 2004
..Analytical performance (close to three-order linearity; LODs, 2-30 pg injected in most cases; R.S.D.s, 1-6% (n = 6)) was fully satisfactory...
- Real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction methods for four genetically modified maize varieties and maize DNA content in food
Peter D Brodmann
Kantonales Laboratorium Basel Stadt, Basel, Switzerland
J AOAC Int 85:646-53. 2002
..Quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction detection methods were developed for the 4 approved genetically modified maize varieties and for an endogenous maize (invertase) gene system...
- Systematic analysis of the content of 502 polyphenols in 452 foods and beverages: an application of the phenol-explorer database
Clermont Universite, Universite d Auvergne, Unite de Nutrition Humaine, B P 10448, F 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
J Agric Food Chem 58:4959-69. 2010
..These data will be useful for epidemiologists to determine polyphenol intake and associations with health and diseases in populations and for food scientitsts and food manufacturers to develop new products with optimized properties...
- Changes in USDA food composition data for 43 garden crops, 1950 to 1999
Donald R Davis
Bio Communications Research Institute, Wichita, Kansas, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 23:669-82. 2004
..To evaluate possible changes in USDA nutrient content data for 43 garden crops between 1950 and 1999 and consider their potential causes...
- Obesity and the food environment: dietary energy density and diet costs
Center for Public Health Nutrition, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Am J Prev Med 27:154-62. 2004
..Continuing to recommend costly diets to low-income families as a public health measure can only generate frustration and culpability among the poor and less-well educated. Obesity in America is, to a large extent, an economic issue...
- Effects of antinutritional factors on protein digestibility and amino acid availability in foods
G Sarwar Gilani
Health Canada, Nutrition Research Division, Bureau of Nutritional Sciences, Banting Research Centre AL 2203 C, Tunney s Pasture, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0L2, Canada
J AOAC Int 88:967-87. 2005
..For products specifically intended for the elderly, protein digestibility should be determined using more mature rats...
- Oxalate content of soybean seeds (Glycine max: Leguminosae), soyfoods, and other edible legumes
L K Massey
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Washington State University, Spokane, Washington 99201, USA
J Agric Food Chem 49:4262-6. 2001
..This study serves as the basis to find soybean cultivars lower in oxalate, which will have lower risk for kidney stone formation after human consumption...
- Validity of a food-frequency questionnaire for a large prospective cohort study in Bangladesh
Department of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, USA
Br J Nutr 92:851-9. 2004
..To our knowledge, the present study is the first to document the validity of a FFQ with the use of 7 d FD in a Bangladeshi population...
- Market basket study on dietary intake of PCDD/Fs, PCBs, and PBDEs in Finland
Department of Environmental Health, National Public Health Institute, PO Box 95, Kuopio 70701, Finland
Environ Int 30:923-32. 2004
..This additional source seemed to be found in the market basket that included beverages, spices, and sweets...
- Analysis of acrylamide, a carcinogen formed in heated foodstuffs
Department of Environmental Chemistry, Stockholm University, S 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
J Agric Food Chem 50:4998-5006. 2002
..Acrylamide could not be detected in unheated control or boiled foods (<5 microg/kg). Consumption habits indicate that the acrylamide levels in the studied heated foods could lead to a daily intake of a few tens of micrograms...
- Fast foods, energy density and obesity: a possible mechanistic link
A M Prentice
MRC International Nutrition Group, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Obes Rev 4:187-94. 2003
..Among regular consumers they are likely to result in the accidental consumption of excess energy and hence to promote weight gain and obesity...
- Dietary selenium intake by men and women in high and low selenium areas of Punjab
Charanjeet K Hira
Department of Food and Nutrition, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana 141 004, Punjab, India
Public Health Nutr 7:39-43. 2004
..To determine the selenium intake of adults residing in high and low selenium areas of rural Punjab...
- Purchasing behavior and calorie information at fast-food chains in New York City, 2007
Mary T Bassett
Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, 125 Worth Street, Room 345, CN 24, New York, NY 10013, USA
Am J Public Health 98:1457-9. 2008
..01). Fast-food chains should display calorie information prominently at point of purchase, where it can be seen and used to inform purchases...
- The potential role of biosensors in the food and drink industries
J H Luong
Biotechnology Research Institute, National Research Council of Canada, Montreal, Quebec
Biosens Bioelectron 6:547-54. 1991
..This article describes the development of biosensors for these sectors and discusses the technical and economic problems of applying this technology to the monitoring of food and drink products...
- Development of a biosensor microarray towards food screening, using imaging surface plasmon resonance
Sabina Rebe Raz
RIKILT Institute of Food Safety, Wageningen UR, P O Box 230, 6700 AE Wageningen, The Netherlands
Biosens Bioelectron 24:552-7. 2008
..We expect that, utilization of the IBIS iSPR system for food analysis, by screening high and low molecular weight compounds, will allow rapid and simultaneous detection of various ..
- Trace mycotoxin analysis in complex biological and food matrices by liquid chromatography-atmospheric pressure ionisation mass spectrometry
Bayercropscience GmbH, Product Technology, Industriepark Hochst, G836, D 65926 Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Chromatogr A 1136:123-69. 2006
..atmospheric pressure ionisation (API) techniques in the late 80s, LC/MS has become a routine technique also in food analysis, overcoming the traditional drawbacks of GC/MS regarding volatility and thermal stability...
- Development of an optical surface plasmon resonance biosensor assay for (fluoro)quinolones in egg, fish, and poultry meat
A C Huet
CER Groupe, Laboratoire d Hormonologie, Rue Point du Jour 8, 6900 Marloie, Belgium
Anal Chim Acta 623:195-203. 2008
..1-100 microg kg(-1) in extracts of fish. The determined midpoints of these calibration curves were about 1, 1.5 and 3 microg kg(-1) in poultry meat, egg and fish, respectively...
- High-sensitive flow-based kinetic exclusion assay for okadaic acid assessment in shellfish samples
School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo University of Technology, Katayanagi Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Biosens Bioelectron 25:1395-401. 2010
- Recent advances in the application of capillary electromigration methods for food analysis and Foodomics
Departamento de Caracterización de Alimentos, Instituto de Fermentaciones Industriales, Madrid 28006, Spain
Electrophoresis 31:205-28. 2010
..The use of microchips, CE-MS, chiral-CE as well as other foreseen trends in food analysis are also discussed including their possibilities in the very new field of Foodomics.
- Determination of pantothenic acid in foods by optical biosensor immunoassay
Simon A Haughey
Xenosense Ltd, Unit 18, The Innovation Centre, Northern Ireland Science Park, Queen s Rd, Queen s Island, Belfast, N Ireland, BT3 9DT
J AOAC Int 88:1008-14. 2005
..The results indicate that the biosensor technique is appropriate for the estimation of pantothenic acid in a wide range of foodstuffs...
- NMR-spectroscopy for nontargeted screening and simultaneous quantification of health-relevant compounds in foods: the example of melamine
Dirk W Lachenmeier
Chemisches und Veterinaruntersuchungsamt CVUA Karlsruhe, Weissenburger Strasse 3, Karlsruhe, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 57:7194-9. 2009
..NMR was found to be suitable for routine nontargeted and targeted analyses of foods, and its use will significantly increase food safety...