Genomes and Genes
randomized controlled trials
Summary: Clinical trials that involve at least one test treatment and one control treatment, concurrent enrollment and follow-up of the test- and control-treated groups, and in which the treatments to be administered are selected by a random process, such as the use of a random-numbers table.
Publications356 found, 100 shown here
- Validity of indirect comparison for estimating efficacy of competing interventions: empirical evidence from published meta-analysesFujian Song
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT
BMJ 326:472. 2003..To determine the validity of adjusted indirect comparisons by using data from published meta-analyses of randomised trials...
- Pragmatic clinical trialsHugh MacPherson
Foundation for Traditional Chinese Medicine, York, UK
Complement Ther Med 12:136-40. 2004..A case is made for the appropriate use and relevance of pragmatic trials in the evaluation of alternative and complementary medicine...
- Effect of supplemental zinc on the growth and serum zinc concentrations of prepubertal children: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsKenneth H Brown
Program in International Nutrition and the Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 75:1062-71. 2002..Multiple studies have been carried out to assess the effect of zinc supplementation on children's growth. The results of these studies are inconsistent, and the factors responsible for these varied outcomes are unknown...
- Influence of weight reduction on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsJudith E Neter
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Hypertension 42:878-84. 2003Increased body weight is a strong risk factor for hypertension. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials was performed to estimate the effect of weight reduction on blood pressure overall and in population subgroups...
- Transarterial chemoembolization for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsCalogero Cammà
National Council of Research, Istituto Metodologie Diagnostiche Avanzate, Palermo, Italy
Radiology 224:47-54. 2002..To review the available evidence of chemoembolization for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- Long-term pharmacotherapy for overweight and obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsR Padwal
Division of Internal Medicine, University of Alberta Hospital, 2E3 Walter C Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27:1437-46. 2003..Safe and effective strategies to curb rising obesity prevalence rates are urgently needed and medications may play a more prominent role in future therapeutic regimens...
- Eligibility criteria of randomized controlled trials published in high-impact general medical journals: a systematic sampling reviewHarriette G C Van Spall
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
JAMA 297:1233-40. 2007Selective eligibility criteria of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) are vital to trial feasibility and internal validity. However, the exclusion of certain patient populations may lead to impaired generalizability of results.
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in childhood depression: systematic review of published versus unpublished dataCraig J Whittington
Centre for Outcomes Research and Effectiveness, Subdepartment of Clinical Health Psychology, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Place, London WC1E 7HB, UK
Lancet 363:1341-5. 2004..Questions concerning the safety of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) in the treatment of depression in children led us to compare and contrast published and unpublished data on the risks and benefits of these drugs...
- Efficacy of interventions in improving highly active antiretroviral therapy adherence and HIV-1 RNA viral load. A meta-analytic review of randomized controlled trialsJane M Simoni
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 1525, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:S23-35. 2006....
- Effect of fish oil on heart rate in humans: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsDariush Mozaffarian
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Circulation 112:1945-52. 2005..The effect of fish oil on heart rate (HR), a major risk factor for sudden death, is not well established. We calculated this effect in a meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials in humans...
- A review of randomized controlled trials comparing the effectiveness of hand held computers with paper methods for data collectionShannon J Lane
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 6:23. 2006..Handheld computers are increasingly favoured over paper and pencil methods to capture data in clinical research...
- Lifestyle interventions to reduce raised blood pressure: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsHeather O Dickinson
University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Centre for Health Services Research, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Hypertens 24:215-33. 2006..To quantify effectiveness of lifestyle interventions for hypertension...
- Proton pump inhibitor therapy for peptic ulcer bleeding: Cochrane collaboration meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsGrigoris I Leontiadis
Division of Gastroenterology, 2nd Department of Internal Medicine, Democritus University of Thrace School of Medicine, Alexandroupolis, Greece
Mayo Clin Proc 82:286-96. 2007..To evaluate the efficacy of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) in treating peptic ulcer bleeding...
- Blinding in randomised trials: hiding who got whatKenneth F Schulz
Family Health International, PO Box 13950, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Lancet 359:696-700. 2002..Unfortunately, many articles do not contain proper reporting. If an article claims blinding without any accompanying clarification, readers should remain sceptical about its effect on bias reduction...
- Exercise-based rehabilitation for patients with coronary heart disease: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsRod S Taylor
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Am J Med 116:682-92. 2004..To review the effectiveness of exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation in patients with coronary heart disease...
- Reliability of the PEDro scale for rating quality of randomized controlled trialsChristopher G Maher
School of Physiotherapy, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Sydney, PO Box 170, Lidcombe, New South Wales 1825, Australia
Phys Ther 83:713-21. 2003Assessment of the quality of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) is common practice in systematic reviews. However, the reliability of data obtained with most quality assessment scales has not been established...
- Pitfalls of and controversies in cluster randomization trialsAllan Donner
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Am J Public Health 94:416-22. 2004..We discuss several topics related to these issues, with emphasis on the choices that must be made in the planning stages of a trial and on some potential pitfalls to be avoided...
- Systematic review: evidence-based management of hepatocellular carcinoma--an updated analysis of randomized controlled trialsP M Lopez
Mount Sinai Liver Cancer Program, Division of Liver Diseases, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:1535-47. 2006..strategy of hepatocellular carcinoma applied following scientific guidelines is only supported by 77 randomized controlled trials published so far, a figure that clearly pinpoints hepatocellular carcinoma as an 'orphan' cancer in ..
- Intention-to-treat approach to data from randomized controlled trials: a sensitivity analysisC C Wright
School of Health and Social Sciences, Coventry University, Priory Street, Coventry CV1 5FB, UK
J Clin Epidemiol 56:833-42. 2003The intention-to-treat (ITT) approach to randomized controlled trials analyzes data on the basis of treatment assignment, not treatment receipt...
- Effects of self-management intervention on health outcomes of patients with heart failure: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsAleksandra Jovicic
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto, 5 King s College Road, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3G8, Canada
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 6:43. 2006..The objective of this study is to determine the effectiveness of self-management interventions on hospital readmission rates, mortality, and health-related quality of life in patients diagnosed with heart failure...
- Pediatricians' attitudes toward randomized controlled trials involving childrenPatrina H Y Caldwell
Centre for Kidney Research, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, Australia
J Pediatr 141:798-803. 2002To examine pediatricians' attitudes toward children's participation in randomized controlled trials (RCTs) and identify possible barriers to participation.
- Sample size calculator for cluster randomized trialsMarion K Campbell
Health Services Research Unit, University of Aberdeen, Polwarth Building Foresterhill, Aberdeen, Scotland AB25 2ZD UK
Comput Biol Med 34:113-25. 2004..A sample size calculator is presented for calculating appropriate sample sizes for cluster trials, whilst allowing the implications of both methods of inflation to be considered...
- Intraclass correlation coefficients for cluster randomized trials in primary care: data from the MRC Trial of the Assessment and Management of Older People in the CommunityLiam Smeeth
Centre for Ageing and Public Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Control Clin Trials 23:409-21. 2002....
- Quality of randomized controlled trials reporting in the primary treatment of brain tumorsRose Lai
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 24:1136-44. 2006To assess the reporting quality of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) in the primary treatment of brain tumors and to identify significant predictors of quality.
- Covariate adjustment in randomized controlled trials with dichotomous outcomes increases statistical power and reduces sample size requirementsAdrian V Hernandez
Center for Clinical Decision Sciences, Department of Public Health, Erasmus Medical Center, P O Box 1738, Rotterdam 3000 DR, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 57:454-60. 2004b>Randomized controlled trials (RCTs) with dichotomous outcomes may be analyzed with or without adjustment for baseline characteristics (covariates)...
- Andrographis paniculata in the symptomatic treatment of uncomplicated upper respiratory tract infection: systematic review of randomized controlled trialsN Poolsup
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Silpakorn University, Nakhon Pathom, Thailand
J Clin Pharm Ther 29:37-45. 2004..To assess the efficacy of Andrographis paniculata in the symptomatic treatment of uncomplicated upper respiratory tract infection...
- Effects of different blood-pressure-lowering regimens on major cardiovascular events: results of prospectively-designed overviews of randomised trialsFiona Turnbull
Blood Pressure Lowering Treatment Trialists Collaboration, The George Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, PO Box 576, Newtown, Sydney, New South Wales 2042, Australia
Lancet 362:1527-35. 2003....
- Cardiovascular safety of lumiracoxib: a meta-analysis of all randomized controlled trials > or =1 week and up to 1 year in duration of patients with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritisPatrice Matchaba
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, East Hanover, NJ 07936, USA
Clin Ther 27:1196-214. 2005..The cardiovascular (CV) safety of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors has been the subject of considerable debate...
- N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsHeiner C Bucher
Institut für Klinische Epidemiologie, Kantonsspital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Am J Med 112:298-304. 2002..We investigated the effects of dietary and non-dietary (supplemental) intake of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on coronary heart disease...
- Efficacy of alosetron in irritable bowel syndrome: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsF Cremonini
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience, Translational and Epidemiological Research Program, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 15:79-86. 2003..i.d. positively impacts global symptoms, and pain and discomfort in non-constipated IBS female patients. One in four patients treated with alosetron may develop constipation. The efficacy of alosetron is unclear in male patients...
- Are missing outcome data adequately handled? A review of published randomized controlled trials in major medical journalsAngela M Wood
MRC Biostatistics Unit, Institute of Public Health, Cambridge, UK
Clin Trials 1:368-76. 2004b>Randomized controlled trials almost always have some individuals with missing outcomes. Inadequate handling of these missing data in the analysis can cause substantial bias in the treatment effect estimates...
- Does acupuncture improve motor recovery after stroke? A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsFrank Kai hoi Sze
Department of Medicine and Geriatrics, Shatin Hospital, N T Hong Kong
Stroke 33:2604-19. 2002..Acupuncture may be a promising treatment for poststroke paralysis. We conducted a meta-analysis, assessing the efficacy of acupuncture with and without stroke rehabilitation...
- Clinical response and risk for reported suicidal ideation and suicide attempts in pediatric antidepressant treatment: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsJeffrey A Bridge
Department of Pediatrics and Columbus Children s Research Institute, The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
JAMA 297:1683-96. 2007..The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued warnings that use of antidepressant medications poses a small but significantly increased risk of suicidal ideation/suicide attempt for children and adolescents...
- The number, quality, and coverage of randomized controlled trials in nephrologyGiovanni F M Strippoli
NHMRC Centre of Clinical Research Excellence in Renal Medicine, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Australia
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:411-9. 2004b>Randomized controlled trials (RCT) are the optimal study design to answer intervention questions. The authors evaluated the number, quality, and coverage of RCT in nephrology...
- Prophylactic vaccination against human papillomavirus infection and disease in women: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsLisa Rambout
Department of Pharmacy, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ont
CMAJ 177:469-79. 2007..To gauge the potential impact on disease burden, we performed a systematic review of the evidence from randomized controlled trials.
- Soy isoflavones lower serum total and LDL cholesterol in humans: a meta-analysis of 11 randomized controlled trialsKyoko Taku
Information Center and the Nutritional Education Program, National Institute of Health and Nutrition, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Clin Nutr 85:1148-56. 2007..Clinical trials have reported the cholesterol-lowering effects of soy protein intake, but the components responsible are not known...
- Aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular events in women and men: a sex-specific meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsJeffrey S Berger
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
JAMA 295:306-13. 2006..Aspirin therapy reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease in adults who are at increased risk. However, it is unclear if women derive the same benefit as men...
- Effects of low-carbohydrate vs low-fat diets on weight loss and cardiovascular risk factors: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsAlain J Nordmann
Basel Institute for Clinical Epidemiology, University Hospital Basel, Hebelstrasse 10, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Arch Intern Med 166:285-93. 2006..Low-carbohydrate diets have become increasingly popular for weight loss. However, evidence from individual trials about benefits and risks of these diets to achieve weight loss and modify cardiovascular risk factors is preliminary...
- Analysis of randomized controlled trialsPeter Peduzzi
Cooperative Studies Program Coordinating Center, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, 950 Campbell Avenue, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Epidemiol Rev 24:26-38. 2002..Finally, it must be emphasized that the availability of software is not a substitute for experience and statistical expertise...
- Binge eating disorder treatment: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsKimberly A Brownley
Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7160, USA
Int J Eat Disord 40:337-48. 2007....
- Impact of continuous positive airway pressure therapy on blood pressure in patients with obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsM Alajmi
Department of Medicine, Respiratory Division, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Lung 185:67-72. 2007..Studies were included if they (1) were randomized controlled trials with an appropriate control group, (2) included systolic and diastolic BP measurements before and after ..
- Effects of aerobic exercise on C-reactive protein, body composition, and maximum oxygen consumption in adults: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsGeorge A Kelley
Department of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, Robert C Byrd Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506 9190, USA
Metabolism 55:1500-7. 2006..Inclusion criteria were assessment of CRP in randomized controlled trials published in the English language between January 1, 1990, and January 1, 2006...
- A comparison of handsearching versus MEDLINE searching to identify reports of randomized controlled trialsS Hopewell
The U K Cochrane Centre, Oxford, UK
Stat Med 21:1625-34. 2002..The results of this study suggest that a combination of MEDLINE and handsearching is required to identify adequately reports of randomized trials...
- Risk of bleeding complications with antiplatelet agents: meta-analysis of 338,191 patients enrolled in 50 randomized controlled trialsVictor L Serebruany
Sinai Center for Thrombosis Research, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21215, USA
Am J Hematol 75:40-7. 2004..These findings should be considered when using combination antiplatelet and/or anticoagulant therapy with conventional doses of ASA...
- Relationship between quality of reports of antidepressant randomized controlled trials and treatment estimates: systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression analysisAndrea Cipriani
Department of Medicine and Public Health, Section of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:352-6. 2007In the field of meta-analyses of antidepressant randomized controlled trials (RCTs), it is unclear whether a relationship exists between study quality, treatment estimates, and different quality measures...
- Effects of antibiotic therapy on outcomes of patients with coronary artery disease: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsRichard Andraws
Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
JAMA 293:2641-7. 2005....
- Increasing response rates to postal questionnaires: systematic reviewPhil Edwards
CRASH Trial Co ordinating Centre, Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London WC1B 1DP
BMJ 324:1183. 2002..To identify methods to increase response to postal questionnaires...
- Cluster randomised trials in the medical literature: two bibliometric surveysJ Martin Bland
Department of Health Sciences, University of York, York YO10 5DD, United Kingdom
BMC Med Res Methodol 4:21. 2004..In this paper I ask whether cluster randomised trials are increasing in both number and quality of reporting...
- Efficacy and tolerability of frovatriptan in acute migraine treatment: systematic review of randomized controlled trialsN Poolsup
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Silpakorn University, Nakhon Pathom, Thailand
J Clin Pharm Ther 30:521-32. 2005..To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of frovatriptan in acute migraine treatment...
- Is fresh frozen plasma clinically effective? A systematic review of randomized controlled trialsS J Stanworth
NBS, Level 2, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford, UK
Br J Haematol 126:139-52. 2004Summary Randomized controlled trials of good quality are a recognized means to robustly assess the efficacy of interventions in clinical practice...
- Fracture prevention with vitamin D supplementation: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsHeike A Bischoff-Ferrari
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
JAMA 293:2257-64. 2005..The role and dose of oral vitamin D supplementation in nonvertebral fracture prevention have not been well established...
- Sample size slippages in randomised trials: exclusions and the lost and waywardKenneth F Schulz
Family Health International, PO Box 13950, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Lancet 359:781-5. 2002..Unfortunately, some explanations for mishandling exclusions intuitively appeal to readers, disguising the seriousness of the issues. Creative mismanagement of exclusions can undermine trial validity...
- Gabapentin and postoperative pain--a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsKok Yuen Ho
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3094, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Pain 126:91-101. 2006..We included randomized controlled trials (RCTs) comparing gabapentin with inactive controls in surgical patients...
- Brief communication: Better ways to question patients about adverse medical events: a randomized, controlled trialStephen Bent
University of California and San Francisco Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Ann Intern Med 144:257-61. 2006..There is no standard method of identifying adverse events in clinical trials...
- Intraclass correlation coefficient and outcome prevalence are associated in clustered binary dataM C Gulliford
Department of Public Health Sciences, King s College London, Capital House, 42 Weston St, London SE1 3QD, UK
J Clin Epidemiol 58:246-51. 2005..To describe the association between values for a proportion and the intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC)...
- Low-level laser therapy in acute pain: a systematic review of possible mechanisms of action and clinical effects in randomized placebo-controlled trialsJan Magnus Bjordal
Section of Physiotherapy Science, University of Bergen, Bergen University College, Norway
Photomed Laser Surg 24:158-68. 2006..The aim of this study was to review the biological and clinical short-term effects of photoradiation in acute pain from soft-tissue injury...
- Regression of electrocardiographic left ventricular hypertrophy during antihypertensive treatment and the prediction of major cardiovascular eventsPeter M Okin
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Cornell University Medical Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
JAMA 292:2343-9. 2004..However, the predictive value of changes in the magnitude of electrocardiographic LVH criteria during antihypertensive therapy remains unclear...
- The effects of exercise training on elderly persons with cognitive impairment and dementia: a meta-analysisPatricia Heyn
School of Allied Health Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston TX 77555, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:1694-704. 2004..To determine by meta-analysis whether physical exercises are beneficial for people with dementia and related cognitive impairments...
- Randomized controlled trials with time-to-event outcomes: how much does prespecified covariate adjustment increase power?Adrian V Hernandez
Center for Clinical Decision Sciences, Department of Public Health, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Epidemiol 16:41-8. 2006We evaluated the effects of various strategies of covariate adjustment on type I error, power, and potential reduction in sample size in randomized controlled trials (RCTs) with time-to-event outcomes.
- Who can best recruit to randomized trials? Randomized trial comparing surgeons and nurses recruiting patients to a trial of treatments for localized prostate cancer (the ProtecT study)Jenny L Donovan
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Canynge Hall, Whiteladies Road, Bristol BS8 2PR, UK
J Clin Epidemiol 56:605-9. 2003..In a randomized trial nested within a trial of treatments for localized prostate cancer, we investigated the comparative effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of nurses and surgeons in recruiting patients...
- Follow-up of patients with curatively resected colorectal cancer: a practice guidelineAlvaro Figueredo
Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
BMC Cancer 3:26. 2003..A systematic review was conducted to evaluate the literature regarding the impact of follow-up on colorectal cancer patient survival and, in a second phase, recommendations were developed...
- Prognostic significance of left ventricular mass change during treatment of hypertensionRichard B Devereux
Department of Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital, Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
JAMA 292:2350-6. 2004..Increased baseline left ventricular (LV) mass predicts cardiovascular (CV) complications of hypertension, but the relation between lower LV mass and outcome during treatment for hypertension is uncertain...
- Effect of n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation of women with low-risk pregnancies on pregnancy outcomes and growth measures at birth: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsHania Szajewska
Department of Paediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, The Medical University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Am J Clin Nutr 83:1337-44. 2006..It is hypothesized that the intake of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LC-PUFAs) throughout pregnancy is important to maternal health and fetal and infant development...
- Second-generation antipsychotic agents in the treatment of acute mania: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsHarald Scherk
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Georg August University Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:442-55. 2007..Meta-analyses addressing the use of SGAs in the treatment of acute mania are lacking...
- Methods of blinding in reports of randomized controlled trials assessing pharmacologic treatments: a systematic reviewIsabelle Boutron
INSERM U738, Paris, France
PLoS Med 3:e425. 2006..to systematically classify and describe methods to establish and maintain blinding of patients and health care providers and methods to obtain blinding of outcome assessors in randomized controlled trials of pharmacologic treatments.
- Exercise training meta-analysis of trials in patients with chronic heart failure (ExTraMATCH)M F Piepoli
Cardiac Medicine, Royal Brompton Hospital, Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine, London
BMJ 328:189. 2004..To determine the effect of exercise training on survival in patients with heart failure due to left ventricular systolic dysfunction...
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases with statin therapy: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsPaaladinesh Thavendiranathan
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Arch Intern Med 166:2307-13. 2006..To clarify the role of statins for patients without CV disease, we performed a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (RCTs).
- Impact of participant and physician intervention preferences on randomized trials: a systematic reviewMichael King
Department of Mental Health Sciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Royal Free Campus, London, England
JAMA 293:1089-99. 2005..However, randomly allocating patients to treatments that do not accord with their preferences may influence internal and external validity...
- Cluster randomized controlled trialsSuezann Puffer
York Trials Unit, Department of Health Sciences, University of York, York, UK
J Eval Clin Pract 11:479-83. 2005..In this paper we discuss the issues that can lead to bias in cluster randomized trials and conclude with some suggestions for avoiding these problems...
- Disease-free survival versus overall survival as a primary end point for adjuvant colon cancer studies: individual patient data from 20,898 patients on 18 randomized trialsDaniel J Sargent
North Central Cancer Treatment Group, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:8664-70. 2005..A shorter-term end point providing convincing evidence to allow treatment comparisons could significantly speed the translation of advances into practice...
- A comparison of confidence interval methods for the intraclass correlation coefficient in cluster randomized trialsObioha C Ukoumunne
Department of Public Health Sciences, King s College London, 5th Floor, Capital House, 42 Weston Street, London SE1 3QD, UK
Stat Med 21:3757-74. 2002..Data from cluster based studies with sample sizes much larger than those typical of cluster randomized trials are required to estimate rho with a reasonable degree of precision...
- Should meta-analysts search Embase in addition to Medline?Margaret Sampson
Chalmers Research Group, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON K1H 8L1, Canada
J Clin Epidemiol 56:943-55. 2003..88-0.99). Searching Medline but not Embase risks biasing a meta-analysis by finding studies that show larger estimates, but their prevalence seems low enough that the risk may be slight, provided the rest of the search is comprehensive...
- Vitamin K and the prevention of fractures: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsSarah Cockayne
York Trials Unit, Department of Health Sciences, University of York, York YO10 5DD, England
Arch Intern Med 166:1256-61. 2006..Observational and some experimental data suggest that low intake of vitamin K may be associated with an increased risk of fracture...
- Impact of bleeding severity on clinical outcomes among patients with acute coronary syndromesSunil V Rao
The Duke Clinical Research Institute, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Am J Cardiol 96:1200-6. 2005..Therapies that minimize bleeding risk and maintain an anticoagulant effect may improve outcomes among patients who have ACS...
- Efficacy and safety of anticoagulant treatment in acute cardioembolic stroke: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsMaurizio Paciaroni
Stroke Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Stroke 38:423-30. 2007..We performed an updated meta-analysis of all randomized trials to obtain the best estimates of the efficacy and safety of anticoagulants for the initial treatment of acute cardioembolic stroke...
- Generation of allocation sequences in randomised trials: chance, not choiceKenneth F Schulz
Family Health International, PO Box 13950, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Lancet 359:515-9. 2002..Investigators should devote appropriate resources to the generation of properly randomised trials and reporting their methods clearly...
- Aggregate data meta-analysis with time-to-event outcomesPaula R Williamson
Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Liverpool, UK
Stat Med 21:3337-51. 2002In a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials with time-to-event outcomes, an aggregate data approach may be required for some or all included studies...
- A brief history of research synthesisIain Chalmers
U K Cochrane Centre, Summertown Pavilion, Middle Way, Oxford OX2 7LG, UK
Eval Health Prof 25:12-37. 2002....
- A systematic review of randomized trials on the effectiveness of computer-tailored education on physical activity and dietary behaviorsWillemieke Kroeze
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Behav Med 31:205-23. 2006..Although computer-tailored promotion of dietary change and physical activity has been identified as a promising intervention strategy, there is a need for a more systematic evaluation of the evidence...
- How can we improve adherence to blood pressure-lowering medication in ambulatory care? Systematic review of randomized controlled trialsKnut Schroeder
Division of Primary Health Care, University of Bristol, Bristol, England
Arch Intern Med 164:722-32. 2004..The objective of this study was to determine the effectiveness of interventions to increase adherence to blood pressure-lowering medication...
- Role of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with resected non-small-cell lung cancer: reappraisal with a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsKatsuyuki Hotta
Department of Medicine II, Okayama University Medical School, 2 5 1, Shikata cho, Okayama, 700 8558, Japan
J Clin Oncol 22:3860-7. 2004..This study was aimed at re-evaluating the effectiveness of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with resected NSCLC, by performing a meta-analysis of relevant trials...
- Effect of folic acid supplementation on risk of cardiovascular diseases: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsLydia A Bazzano
Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112 2715, USA
JAMA 296:2720-6. 2006Epidemiologic studies have suggested that folate intake decreases risk of cardiovascular diseases. However, the results of randomized controlled trials on dietary supplementation with folic acid to date have been inconsistent.
- Interventions for the prevention of falls in older adults: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trialsJohn T Chang
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
BMJ 328:680. 2004..To assess the relative effectiveness of interventions to prevent falls in older adults to either a usual care group or control group...
- Anti-TNF antibody therapy in rheumatoid arthritis and the risk of serious infections and malignancies: systematic review and meta-analysis of rare harmful effects in randomized controlled trialsTim Bongartz
Division of Rheumatology and Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
JAMA 295:2275-85. 2006..Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) plays an important role in host defense and tumor growth control. Therefore, anti-TNF antibody therapies may increase the risk of serious infections and malignancies...
- Lessons for cluster randomized trials in the twenty-first century: a systematic review of trials in primary careSandra M Eldridge
Centre for General Practice and Primary Care, Institute of Community Health Sciences, Bar and the London, Queen Mary, University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK
Clin Trials 1:80-90. 2004..There is little recent research on the methodologic quality of cluster randomized trials and none focuses on primary health care where these trials are increasingly common...
- Remission rates following antidepressant therapy with bupropion or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: a meta-analysis of original data from 7 randomized controlled trialsMichael E Thase
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 2593, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 66:974-81. 2005....
- Comparison of effects in randomized controlled trials with observational studies in digestive surgerySatoru Shikata
Department of Digestive Surgery, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Ann Surg 244:668-76. 2006To compare the results of randomized controlled trials versus observational studies in meta-analyses of digestive surgical topics.
- Melatonin in the treatment of cancer: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials and meta-analysisEdward Mills
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
J Pineal Res 39:360-6. 2005..We conducted a systematic review of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of melatonin in solid tumor cancer patients and its effect on survival at 1 yr...
- An overview of clinical research: the lay of the landDavid A Grimes
Family Health International, PO Box 13950, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Lancet 359:57-61. 2002..By contrast, p values address only chance. Testing null hypotheses at a p value of 0.05 has no basis in medicine and should be discouraged...
- n-of-1 randomized controlled trials: an opportunity for complementary and alternative medicine evaluationBradley C Johnston
Complementary and Alternative Research and Education CARE Program, Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2R7, Canada
J Altern Complement Med 10:979-84. 2004....
- The reporting of randomized controlled trials in prosthodonticsAsbjørn Jokstad
Institute of Clinical Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Oslo, PO Box 1109 Blindern, N 0317 Oslo, Norway
Int J Prosthodont 15:230-42. 2002This article evaluates the reporting of randomized controlled trials (RCT) in prosthodontics, excluding endosseous implant-based prosthetics.
- Individual patient data meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials of community occupational therapy for stroke patientsM F Walker
University of Nottingham, United Kingdom
Stroke 35:2226-32. 2004..Trials of occupational therapy for stroke patients living in the community have varied in their findings. It is unclear why these discrepancies have occurred...
- Randomized controlled trials in schizophrenia: a critical perspective on the literatureS Gilbody
Cochrane Schizophrenia Group, Academic Unit of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Acta Psychiatr Scand 105:243-51. 2002..Difficulties arise, however, when applying their results to 'real world' clinical practice and decision-making. We, therefore, examined the real world applicability of schizophrenia trials...
- Efficacy and safety of opioid agonists in the treatment of neuropathic pain of nonmalignant origin: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsElon Eisenberg
Pain Relief Unit, Rambam Medical Center, and Haifa Pain Research Group, The Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
JAMA 293:3043-52. 2005..The use of opioids for neuropathic pain remains controversial, in part because studies have been small, have yielded equivocal results, and have not established the long-term risk-benefit ratio of this treatment...
- Relationship between lipid levels and clinical outcomes in the Long-term Intervention with Pravastatin in Ischemic Disease (LIPID) Trial: to what extent is the reduction in coronary events with pravastatin explained by on-study lipid levels?R John Simes
National Health and Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, Australia
Circulation 105:1162-9. 2002..0 to 7.0 mmol/L at baseline. Secondary objectives included assessment of CHD event reduction according to lipid levels...
- Bulimia nervosa treatment: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsJennifer R Shapiro
Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7160, USA
Int J Eat Disord 40:321-36. 2007....
- Caspofungin for the treatment of fungal infections: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsMatthew E Falagas
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences, 9 Neapoleos Street, 151 23 Marousi, Athens, Greece
Int J Antimicrob Agents 29:136-43. 2007..Several randomized controlled trials (RCTs) have been designed to evaluate the effectiveness of caspofungin in comparison with other ..
- Long-term lithium therapy for bipolar disorder: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsJohn R Geddes
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, UK
Am J Psychiatry 161:217-22. 2004..The authors sought to determine the efficacy and acceptability of lithium for relapse prevention in bipolar disorder...
- Variations in lung cancer risk among smokersPeter B Bach
The Health Outcomes Research Group, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:470-8. 2003..We sought to determine whether the risk of lung cancer varies predictably among smokers...
- Blood pressure-lowering effects of biofeedback treatment in hypertension: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsMutsuhiro Nakao
Department of Hygiene and Public Health EBM Center, School of Medicine, Teikyo University, Tokyo, Japan
Hypertens Res 26:37-46. 2003..Further studies will be needed to determine whether biofeedback itself has an antihypertensive effect beyond the general relaxation response...
- Association of funding and conclusions in randomized drug trials: a reflection of treatment effect or adverse events?Bodil Als-Nielsen
The Copenhagen Trial Unit, Center for Clinical Intervention Research, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
JAMA 290:921-8. 2003..Previous studies indicate that industry-sponsored trials tend to draw proindustry conclusions...
- Oxidant Stress: Is it a biomarker of disease progression and response to therapyJesse Roman; Fiscal Year: 2010..End of Abstract) ..
- Bone Deficits and Excess Adiposity after Pediatric Bone Marrow TransplantationSogol Mostoufi-Moab; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialMona Fouad; Fiscal Year: 2013..Unfortunately, lung cancer remains the leading cause of cancer death. To date, randomized controlled trials of screening modalities such as chest x-ray and sputum cytology have not demonstrated any impact on ..
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialBARBARA O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Unfortunately, lung cancer remains the leading cause of cancer death. To date, randomized controlled trials of screening modalities such as chest x-ray and sputum cytology have not demonstrated any impact on ..
- Cystathionine beta synthase (CBS) and angiogenesisPriyabrata Mukherjee; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- A MicroRNA Approach to Screen for Sporadic Colon Cancer Exfoliately in Human StooFarid E Ahmed; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, larger well designed clinical studies are needed to corroborate initial results. ..
- Effect of Lactobacillus GG on gut permeability and microbiome in VLBW neonatesROSE MARIE VISCARDI; Fiscal Year: 2013..The data generated from the proposed studies will directly lead to decisions concerning future randomized safety and efficacy trials of LGG to prevent NEC in the preterm population. ..
- Effect of Ultrafiltration on Clinical Outcomes and Health-related Quality of LifeKELLY VICTORIA LIANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..3) To provide feasibility data for patient recruitment, enrollment, and retention fo future larger randomized controlled trials. This grant will provide Dr...
- Role of VEGF in Perinatal HypertensionSTEVEN HERBERT ABMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this renewal, we propose a series of integrative studies that incorporate physiologic, cell and molecular approaches towards understanding BPD. ..
- Antiviral prophylaxis to prevent perinatal transmission of HBV in ThailandGONZAGUE JOSEPH JOURDAIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..An interim analysis will be conducted when half of the outcomes are available. The results of the study will help define policy to manage HBV infected pregnant women to prevent perinatal transmission. ..
- Impact of Cardiovascular and Weight Loss diets on Uric Acid and Gout RiskHyon K Choi; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will investigate their effects on SUA levels using stored blood samples from 6 landmark randomized controlled trials of various dietary approaches to reduce CV-metabolic conditions (including the Mediterranean, Atkins, ..
- Phase III Study Comparing Albumin and Hetastarch Therapy in Acute Lung InjuryGregory S Martin; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the applicant's two prior randomized controlled trials, the treatment combination of albumin with furosemide produced the greatest improvements in arterial ..
- Randomized Trial of a Postpartum Diabetes Prevention Program for Hispanic WomenLisa Chasan-Taber; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although randomized controlled trials among adults with impaired glucose tolerance have shown that diet and physical activity reduce the risk ..
- (PQA1) Mechanism of Vitamin D Chemoprevention Against Colon CancerYan Chun Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies will greatly advance our understanding of chemopreventive mechanisms of VD against colon cancer. ..
- Clinical Trial of Vitamin D3 to Reduce Cancer Risk in Postmenopausal WomenJoan Lappe; Fiscal Year: 2013..Positive findings will provide support for health policy changes to promote optimal vitamin D levels in the population. ..
- Aromatase Inhibitors in Pulmonary Vascular Complications of Liver DiseaseSteven M Kawut; Fiscal Year: 2013..This research would provide the ideal training ground for young investigators interested in POR in PVD who wish to study novel therapeutics for [unreadable]orphan[unreadable] diseases. ..
- Pharmacological Management of DeliriumMalaz Boustani; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, there have been no randomized controlled trials evaluating the efficacy of such a pharmacological management on reducing delirium severity, duration, ..
- Randomized trial of active vitamin D, cholecalciferol and placebo for CKD-MBDSharon M Moe; Fiscal Year: 2011..However, there are no randomized controlled trials that compare calcitriol or its analogs (such as doxercalciferol) to the cheaper cholecalciferol...
- Mechanisms of Meditation in Hypertension in BlacksRobert Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2010..Previous randomized controlled trials in African American populations with high blood pressure conducted by the Center team have demonstrated ..
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids &Psychoeducational Psychotherapy for Childhood DepressionMary A Fristad; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) have been conducted via school- based programs for ..
- Cooperative Multicenter Maternal Fetal Medicine Units NetworksJohn M Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2013..This is particularly important in North Carolina as the state ranks in the bottom third of the nation with regard to perinatal/maternal health and infant mortality. ..
- Workplace Wellness Initiatives to Combat ObesityJASON PERRY BLOCK; Fiscal Year: 2013..advanced epidemiology, economics, qualitative research, analysis of quasi- and natural experiments, and randomized controlled trials. The goal of this K23 is for Dr...
- Placebo Effects in the Treatment of Depression: Cognitive and Neural MechanismsBret R Rutherford; Fiscal Year: 2013..The placebo effect represents a potent treatment for MDD-placebo response in acute randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of antidepressant medications averages 30%, and meta-analyses have estimated the proportion of ..
- A Program of Research and Mentorship on Alcohol Use and Intimate Partner ViolenceGregory L Stuart; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed K24 award will provide the protected time required to cultivate my knowledge of behavioral genetics research, while allowing me considerable time to mentor an outstanding group of junior colleagues. ..
- FOCUSJEFFREY LEE CARSON; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISMS OF ARTERIAL GRAFT HEALINGAlexander W Clowes; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Feasibility, Efficacy, and Mechanisms of Surgical vs Medical Diabetes TreatmentDavid R Flum; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Integrated Smoking Cessation and Mood Management for Cardiac PatientsAndrew M Busch; Fiscal Year: 2013..and skills regarding 1) development of theory-based, tailored treatments, 2) design and execution of Randomized Controlled Trials (RCT), 3) advanced statistics, 4) behavioral cardiology, and 5) manuscript preparation and grant ..
- Randomized Lifestyle Intervention in Overweight and Obese Pregnant Hispanic WomenLisa Chasan-Taber; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed project builds upon the expertise of the investigative team in conducting randomized controlled trials of exercise interventions among Hispanic pregnant women (R01 DK074876) and dietary interventions among ..
- Preventing Anthracycline Cardiovascular Toxicity with StatinsWilliam Gregory Hundley; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Clinical Outcomes for Siblings of Children with Vesico-Ureteral RefluxCALEB PENNELL NELSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..on personal surgical experience and case series, to one based on comprehensive longitudinal studies and randomized controlled trials. I seek to contribute to this transition process...
- Distress Tolerance Treatment for Weight Concern in Smoking Cessation Among WomenErika Litvin Bloom; Fiscal Year: 2013..training goals will include developing expertise in treatment development for smoking cessation and randomized controlled trials methodology, becoming proficient in advanced statistical techniques for RCTs, acquiring a foundation of ..
- Estrogen Effects on Vascular Inflammation are Age and Hormone-Status DependentFadi Hage; Fiscal Year: 2013..out in young subjects have shown anti-inflammatory and vasoprotective effects of E2, while results of randomized controlled trials of menopausal hormones, such as the Women's Health Initiative, have shown no benefit and even harm ..
- An interactive web-based intervention to achieve healthy weight in young childrenEllen Wald; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Anti-Inflammatory Interventions in Maintenance Hemodialysis PatientsTalat Alp Ikizler; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Community-based interventions to reduce mortality from neonatal infectionWaldemar A Carlo; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Behavioral therapy to treat urinary symptoms in Parkinson's diseaseELIZABETH CAMILLE VAUGHAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..that recommend treatment with anticholinergic drugs, are based on expert opinion, because no randomized controlled trials of any therapy for LUTS (including UI) have been completed to date in adults with PD...
- Fractures, Heart Disease, and Stroke on Aromatase InhibitorsNancy L Keating; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recently, randomized controlled trials identifying substantial benefits of aromatase inhibitors for early- stage cancers have led to national ..
- PTSD, Sleep-Disordered Breathing and APOE Genotype: Effects on CognitionJerome A Yesavage; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Psychosexual Intervention for Gynecologic Cancer PatientsBarbara L Andersen; Fiscal Year: 2012..This is a high-impact research program that, if successful, will change the trajectory of sexual morbidity and substantively improve gynecologic cancer survivorship. ..
- A Translational Framework for Methodological Rigor to Improve Patient Centered OuFrancesca Dominici; Fiscal Year: 2013..This career development award will also provide me with multidisciplinary expertise and fruitful collaborations necessary for training the next generation of scientists in CER for PCOR. ..
- National Lung Screening Trial (NLST)Cheryl Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2009..Unfortunately, lung cancer remains the leading cause of cancer death. To date, randomized controlled trials of screening modalities such as chest x-ray and sputum cytology have not demonstrated any impact on ..
- Vertical CMV transmission in the setting of maternal HIV-1 infection in KenyaJENNIFER ANN SLYKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Slyker will conduct research using a repository of data and specimens from 3 Kenyan randomized controlled trials comprising HIV-infected women and their infants...
- Pharmacoepidemiology of Atypical Antipsychotic DrugsWilliam V Bobo; Fiscal Year: 2013..antipsychotic drugs. These studies will provide essential data for community practice that cannot be easily or feasibly addressed through randomized controlled trials or conventional post-marketing surveillance.
- Who benefits from Colorectal Cancer Screening? A subgroup Analysis of the MinnesAasma Shaukat; Fiscal Year: 2013..We are interested in exploring the relationship between consumption of NSAIDs, high fiber diet and BMI as effect modifiers of effectiveness of screening. ..
- National Lung Study TrialDouglas Reding; Fiscal Year: 2009
- Should high-risk statin utilization rates be increased for complex AMI patients?John M Brooks; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Randomized controlled trials have shown that aggressively lowering low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) with high-dose ..
- Red Blood Cell Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Coronary Artery DiseaseLuc Djousse; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings of this study may provide important information that could shape dietary recommendations to prevent coronary events. ..
- Childhood Illness and Risk Perception: Opportunity to Improve HandwashingPavani Kalluri Ram; Fiscal Year: 2010..There is no information from published randomized controlled trials about whether risk perception is a motivating factor for the adoption of improved handwashing behavior...
- Depression and Insulin Resistance in AdolescentsLAUREN BERGER SHOMAKER; Fiscal Year: 2012..During the K99 phase, Dr. Shomaker will obtain training to enhance her expertise in: 1) conduct of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) in adolescents, ii) measurement of IR, and iii) assessment of cardiovascular fitness. Dr...
- Depression and Insulin Resistance in AdolescentsLAUREN BERGER SHOMAKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..During the K99 phase, Dr. Shomaker will obtain training to enhance her expertise in: 1) conduct of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) in adolescents, ii) measurement of IR, and iii) assessment of cardiovascular fitness. Dr...
- MSI-FLASH: An Exercise Intervention for Women with Menopausal SymptomsBarbara Sternfeld; Fiscal Year: 2012..Katherine Newton and Susan Reed, PIs). This multidisciplinary investigator group is proposing five randomized controlled trials testing a range of behavioral, mind-body, hormonal and pharmacologic interventions.
- RCT of Two Speed of Processing Modes to Prevent Cognitive Decline in Older AdultsFREDRIC DAVID WOLINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Georgeanne Patmios, 301-496-3138, firstname.lastname@example.org. Challenge Topic 05-AG-102 calls for randomized controlled trials (RCTs) to evaluate the comparative effectiveness of competing interventions or modes of intervention ..
- Immunoregulation and immunotherapy of breast cancerRobert H Vonderheide; Fiscal Year: 2012..The long-term goal is to develop an immune-based therapy that offers clinical benefit to patients with hormone receptor positive breast cancer. ..
- Integrative Stress Reduction for Maternal-Child HealthLarissa G Duncan; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Treatment Response in Ethnic Minority Individuals With Binge Eating DisorderHeather Thompson Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- An Adherence and Depression Intervention for Patients During Hepatitis C TherapyDonna M Evon; Fiscal Year: 2013..and other antiviral side effects;and (2) evaluate these interventions in methodologically-robust randomized controlled trials. The mentored research project in this proposal fits into this overarching research program by ..
- Comparative Effectiveness and Cost Effectiveness of Cancer ChemotherapyXianglin Du; Fiscal Year: 2013..Population-based observational studies can therefore be useful adjuncts to randomized controlled trials in determining whether efficacy under controlled conditions in specialty centers translates into real-..
- USE AND OUTCOMES OF INTERMITTENT ANDROGEN DEPRIVATION THERAPY IN PROSTATE CANCERHuei Ting Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. general practice. Findings from the proposed study will generate new hypotheses regarding the comparative effectiveness of intermittent and continuous ADT and will inform subsequent research to help guide ADT use in prostate cancer. ..
- Selenium Colorectal Cancer Chemoprevention TrialsPATRICIA ANN THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Chemopreventive agents for CRC can be assessed in randomized controlled trials (RCTs) comparing metachronous CRA rates between intervention and placebo groups with results of effects ..
- Outcomes After ACL Reconstruction: Femoral Nerve BlockBrian Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..The methods learned and the model developed herein will be the basis of future studies funded through the R01 mechanism. ..
- SUBMACULAR SURGERY TRIALS--PHOTOGRAPH READING CENTERSusan Bressler; Fiscal Year: 2003..BUDGET NOTE: NEI Staff should evaluate the requested budget in light of their experience with the budget needs of reading centers in other clinical trials. ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE: Awards, if made, are limited to 5 years. ..
- NATIONAL WILMS TUMOR STUDY -5Daniel Green; Fiscal Year: 2003..The survival of most children treated for WT allows the study of genetic and treatment factors associated with the etiology of the disease and/or the occurrence of complications of therapy. ..
- Race and Long-Term Diabetes Self-Management in an HMODennis Ross Degnan; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Randomized controlled trials suggest that diabetes self-management including patient education, drug therapy, changes in diet, and ..
- Electrical Stimulation for Hemiplegic Shoulder PainJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2010..We further postulate that ES improves glenohumeral stability by facilitating motor recovery. Thus we will evaluate the effects of these treatments on objective measures of poststroke motor recovery. ..
- Translating Dietary Trials into the CommunityAlain Bertoni; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research project seeks to promote the adoption of the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) eating pattern by African American adults with hypertension or prehypertension living in a lower- income minority community. ..
- Aspiration Pneumonia in Children with Neurological ImpairmentRajendu Srivastava; Fiscal Year: 2009..Generating needed evidence bases and learning to conduct multi-site studies are critical steps towards maximizing the quality of life and improving the outcomes for children with Nl. ..
- Does Enhanced School-Readiness Affect Adult Health of African Americans?Frances A Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2010..Two randomized controlled trials of early childhood educational intervention were established at the Frank Porter Graham Child ..
- Contemporary Treatment and Outcomes for Atrial Fibrillation in Clinical PracticeDANIEL EDWIN SINGER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Numerous randomized controlled trials in selected populations have compared stroke prevention strategies (e.g...
- FOUR TREATMENT STRATEGIES FOR TMJ DISK DISPLACEMENTEric Schiffman; Fiscal Year: 2002..Therefore, there is a need to finish long-term follow-up on all currently enrolled subjects to at least 10 years to be able to make definitive conclusions. ..
- MUTATIONS, HORMONE THERAPY, AND VENOUS THROMBOEMBOLISMBruce Psaty; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Drug & Non-Drug Treatment of Pediatric Chronic HeadacheScott Powers; Fiscal Year: 2009..The long term objective is to establish effective treatments for CDH in youth that lead to sustained benefits in terms of clinically significant reductions in headache frequency and functional disability. ..
- Planning Grant for PRESOX TrialNeil Finer; Fiscal Year: 2009....