Genomes and Genes
controlled clinical trials
Summary: Clinical trials involving one or more test treatments, at least one control treatment, specified outcome measures for evaluating the studied intervention, and a bias-free method for assigning patients to the test treatment. The treatment may be drugs, devices, or procedures studied for diagnostic, therapeutic, or prophylactic effectiveness. Control measures include placebos, active medicines, no-treatment, dosage forms and regimens, historical comparisons, etc. When randomization using mathematical techniques, such as the use of a random numbers table, is employed to assign patients to test or control treatments, the trials are characterized as RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIALS.
Publications244 found, 100 shown here
- Feasibility of placebo-controlled clinical trials of antipsychotic compounds in EuropeW Wolfgang Fleischhacker
Department of Biological Psychiatry, Innsbruck University Clinics, Anichstrasse 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 162:82-4. 2002..Most recent phase II and phase III PCTs of antipsychotics in schizophrenia have been conducted outside Europe. This development needs to be better understood...
- Quality of controlled clinical trials on glaucoma and intraocular high pressureJavier Llorca
Division of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, University of Cantabria School of Medicine, Santander, Spain
J Glaucoma 14:190-5. 2005To study the quality of controlled clinical trials on glaucoma.
- [Basic concepts in epidemiology and statistics for reading controlled clinical trials]Evandro Silva Freire Coutinho
Departamento de Epidemiologia e Métodos Quantitativos em Saúde, Escola Nacional de Saude Publica
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 27:146-51. 2005..concepts in epidemiology and statistics needed for understanding properly the design and results of controlled clinical trials. Through a set of examples, the concepts of measures of association and effect, statistical significance ..
- Development of the Cochrane Collaboration's CENTRAL Register of controlled clinical trialsKay Dickersin
New England Cochrane Center
Eval Health Prof 25:38-64. 2002....
- The efficacy of motivational interviewing: a meta-analysis of controlled clinical trialsBrian L Burke
Department of Psychology, Fort Lewis College, Durango, CO 81301 3999, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 71:843-61. 2003A meta-analysis was conducted on controlled clinical trials investigating adaptations of motivational interviewing (AMIs), a promising approach to treating problem behaviors...
- Responsiveness of the Acne-Specific Quality of Life Questionnaire (Acne-QoL) to treatment for acne vulgaris in placebo-controlled clinical trialsS E Fehnel
RTI Health Solutions, Research Triangle Institute, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2194, USA
Qual Life Res 11:809-16. 2002..The results of this evaluation confirm that the Acne-QoL is responsive, internally consistent, and valid...
- Effect of combined caries-preventive methods: a systematic review of controlled clinical trialsSusanna Axelsson
The Swedish Council on Technology Assessment in Health Care, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 62:163-9. 2004..No conclusion could be drawn regarding the evidence for combinations of treatments being effective for groups at high caries risk, as the results from the identified clinical studies were conflicting...
- Caries-preventive effect of sodium fluoride mouthrinses: a systematic review of controlled clinical trialsSvante Twetman
Department of Odontology, Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 62:223-30. 2004..The need for further clinical trials to elucidate the effect of FMRs in risk patients and older adults is emphasized...
- Clinical research on acupuncture. Part 2. Controlled clinical trials, an overview of their methodsStephen Birch
Foundation for the Study of Traditional East Asian Medicine, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Altern Complement Med 10:481-98. 2004..Improved trial quality will lead to greater ease interpreting the results of trials, especially in systematic reviews...
- Utility and pitfalls of some statistical methods in active controlled clinical trialsSue Jane Wang
Division of Biometrics II, Office of Biostatistics, Center of Drug Evaluation and Resesarch, Food and Drug Administration, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20857, USA
Control Clin Trials 23:15-28. 2002....
- Attitudes of patients with schizophrenia toward placebo-controlled clinical trialsMartina Hummer
Department of Biological Psychiatry, Innsbruck University Clinics, Innsbruck, Austria
J Clin Psychiatry 64:277-81. 2003..Although much is known about the opinions of professionals concerning this issue, so far nothing is known about the opinions of patients who are most affected by the realization of placebo-controlled clinical trials.
- Herbal medicines for treatment of fungal infections: a systematic review of controlled clinical trialsKaren W Martin
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, Exeter, UK
Mycoses 47:87-92. 2004..This systematic review evaluates antifungal herbal preparations that have been tested in controlled clinical trials. Four electronic databases were searched for controlled clinical trials of antifungal herbal medicines...
- [Randomized and nonrandomized controlled clinical trials in a German surgical journal]M K Diener
Deutsches Cochrane Zentrumsklinikum, Institut für Medizinische Biometrie und Medizinische Informatik, Universitatsklinikum Freiburg
Chirurg 77:837-43. 2006..The aim of this study was to assess the quantity and quality of randomized controlled (RCTs) and controlled clinical trials (CCTs) in the German surgical journal Der Chirurg.
- [Ethical implications of placebo-controlled clinical trials for psychotropic drugs]H Helmchen
Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Freie Universitat Berlin
Nervenarzt 76:1319-29. 2005..It is concluded that pure placebo-controlled clinical trials of new psychotropic drugs may be acceptable in minor psychic disorders, but in general -- at least in a ..
- Herbal medicines for treatment of bacterial infections: a review of controlled clinical trialsKaren W Martin
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, 25 Victoria Park Road, Exeter EX2 4NT, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 51:241-6. 2003Many hundreds of plant extracts have been tested for in vitro antibacterial activity. This review is a critical evaluation of controlled clinical trials of herbal medicines with antibacterial activity.
- Is Tai Chi an effective adjunct in cancer care? A systematic review of controlled clinical trialsMyeong Soo Lee
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, Exeter, UK
Support Care Cancer 15:597-601. 2007..The aim of this systematic review is to summarize and critically evaluate the evidence available from controlled clinical trials of tai chi as a supportive therapy for cancer patients.
- Mistletoe in cancer - a systematic review on controlled clinical trialsG S Kienle
Institute for Applied Epistemology and Medical Methodology, Bad Krozingen Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Med Res 8:109-19. 2003..Mistletoe preparations are among the most widely used unconventional cancer therapies in Central Europe. Their clinical effectiveness, however, is controversial...
- Do anti-tumor necrosis factors induce response and remission in patients with acute refractory Crohn's disease? A systematic meta-analysis of controlled clinical trialsRoja Rahimi
Department of Toxicology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 14155 6451, Tehran, Iran
Biomed Pharmacother 61:75-80. 2007..It seems that anti-tumor necrosis factors are not effective for induction of response and remission in patients with Crohn's disease...
- A perspective on surrogate endpoints in controlled clinical trialsGeert Molenberghs
Center for Statistics, Limburgs Universitair Centrum, Diepenbeek, Belgium
Stat Methods Med Res 13:177-206. 2004..Clearly statistical evidence should only be seen as a component in a decision making process that also involves a number of clinical and biological considerations...
- The external validity of controlled clinical trials of psychotherapy for depression and anxiety: a naturalistic studyKate H Morrison
Counseling Center, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Psychol Psychother 76:109-32. 2003..for clinical practice and training to focus on empirically supported therapies tested in randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs)...
- Effect of prevailing local treatment options of breast cancer on survival outside controlled clinical trials: experience of a specialist breast unit in North IndiaMallika Tewari
Department of Surgical Oncology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, 221005, India
World J Surg 30:1794-801. 2006..This study aimed at analyzing different treatments of breast cancer (BC) prevalent in the region, their effect on patients' survival, and discusses the most suitable method within available resources...
- Exercise and bone mineral density at the femoral neck in postmenopausal women: a meta-analysis of controlled clinical trials with individual patient dataGeorge A Kelley
Department of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506 9190, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 194:760-7. 2006..We conducted a meta-analysis using individual patient data to examine the efficacy of exercise for improving bone mineral density at the femoral neck in postmenopausal women...
- Controlled clinical trials evaluating the homeopathic treatment of people with human immunodeficiency virus or acquired immune deficiency syndromeDana Ullman
Homeopathic Educational Services, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
J Altern Complement Med 9:133-41. 2003....
- Steroid sparing in kidney transplantation: changing paradigms, improving outcomes, and remaining questionsJoshua J Augustine
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 1:1080-9. 2006..Although the outcomes of kidney transplant recipients who are treated with steroid-free immunosuppression are improving steadily, there still is room for concern in recommending this strategy as a standard of practice...
- Where does hypnotherapy stand in the management of irritable bowel syndrome? A systematic reviewAli Gholamrezaei
Clinical Hypnotherapy Research Group, Medical Student Research Committee, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences IUMS, Isfahan, Iran
J Altern Complement Med 12:517-27. 2006..Despite its prevalence, there remains a significant lack of efficient medical treatment for IBS to date. However, according to some previous research studies, hypnosis has been shown to be effective in the treatment of IBS...
- Multiple-arm superiority and non-inferiority designs with various endpointsMark Chang
Millennium Pharmaceuticals Inc, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Pharm Stat 6:43-52. 2007..Application examples are provided. The effect of the contrasts on the power is discussed, and a SAS program for sample size calculation is provided and ready to use...
- Curative ablation for atrial fibrillation: what clinical trials do we need to establish efficacyDipen Shah
Division of Cardiology, Hopital Cantonal de Geneve, Geneva, Switzerland
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 14:S48-51. 2003..Atrial fibrillation burden is a theoretically robust efficacy parameter, but accurate quantification over a sufficiently long period of monitoring will require technologically innovative noninvasive rhythm monitoring devices...
- Placebo-controlled studies in depression: necessary, ethical and feasibleDavid Baldwin
University Department of Mental Health, Royal South Hants Hospital, Brintons Terrace, Southampton, UK
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 253:22-8. 2003..Placebo-controlled studies of new antidepressants are justified, both scientifically and ethically; restrictions on placebo-controlled investigations will hinder the arrival of more efficacious and better tolerated antidepressants...
- The pros and cons of noninferiority trialsStuart J Pocock
Medical Statistics Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT UK
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 17:483-90. 2003....
- A cautionary note on design implications when the primary analysis is a stratified analysis of a binary endpointChristy Chuang-Stein
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Biom J 48:978-83. 2006..The discussion in this paper is illustrated by a hypothetical example, which nevertheless resembles the findings from a confirmatory trial involving the evaluation of a biologic for severe sepsis...
- The efficacy of stretching for prevention of exercise-related injury: a systematic review of the literatureS M Weldon
Man Ther 8:141-50. 2003..Randomized clinical trials (RCTs) and controlled clinical trials (CCTs) investigating stretching as an injury prevention measure were selected...
- Active-controlled, non-inferiority trials in oncology: arbitrary limits, infeasible sample sizes and uninformative data analysis. is there another way?Kevin J Carroll
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals, Global Clinical Information Science, Alderley Park, Macclesfield, UK
Pharm Stat 5:283-93. 2006..Statistics in Medicine 2003; 22:239-264 and Wang and Hung Controlled Clinical Trials 2003; 24:147-155...
- Entangled--and tied in knots! Practical consequences of an entanglement model for homeopathic research and practiceH Walach
University Hospital Freiburg, Institute of Environmental Medicine and Hospital Epidemiology, Samueli Institute, European Office, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Homeopathy 94:96-9. 2005..Experimental proof of entanglement can only come indirectly. The implications for clinical research include that positive results will probably be found only in large series and that studies should avoid imposing a causal framework...
- Documentation of hip prostheses used in Norway: a critical review of the literature from 1996--2000Arild Aamodt
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Trondheim University Hospital, Trondheim
Acta Orthop Scand 75:663-76. 2004....
- Types of research designsDeborah Winders Davis
Department of Pediatrics, University of Louisville School of Medicine, USA
Neonatal Netw 22:65-7. 2003..Future columns will address other considerations...
- Catheter valves for indwelling urinary catheters: a systematic reviewEsther van den Eijkel
Westminster Primary Care Trust, and King s College London, UK
Br J Community Nurs 11:111-2, 114. 2006..Further research into catheter valves is needed, with larger study groups, which include housebound male and female patients, and longer follow-up period...
- Major depressive disorder in children and adolescents: clinical trial design and antidepressant efficacyGraham J Emslie
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Division, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 66:14-20. 2005..about antidepressant side effects, including suicidality, it is increasingly important that clinicians who treat depressed children and adolescents make informed therapeutic decisions based on data from well-controlled clinical trials.
- [Impact of the quality of clinical trials in orthopedics and traumatology on the status of evidence]M Haake
Aus der Orthopädischen Klinik der Universität Regensburg, Bad Abbach
Versicherungsmedizin 56:4-10. 2004..To evaluate the efficacy of any therapeutical measure, controlled clinical trials are necessary...
- Placebo or active control trials of antipsychotic drugs?W Wolfgang Fleischhacker
Department of Biological Psychiatry, Innsbruck University Clinics, Austria
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:458-64. 2003..Sample size requirements for various equivalence margins in noninferiority trials are provided. Scientific and ethical arguments should lead to a more frequent use of the active-control noninferiority trial design...
- Efficacy of solifenacin in patients with severe symptoms of overactive bladder: a pooled analysisR J Millard
Department of Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Curr Med Res Opin 22:41-8. 2006..The efficacy of antimuscarinic drug therapy in patients who have more severe symptoms of overactive bladder (OAB) at baseline has not been evaluated thoroughly...
- Overview on coenzyme Q10 as adjunctive therapy in chronic heart failure. Rationale, design and end-points of "Q-symbio"--a multinational trialSvend Aage Mortensen
The Heart Centre, Medical Department B, Copenhagen University Hospital, Denmark
Biofactors 18:79-89. 2003..This trial should help to establish the future role of CoQ10 as part of a maintenance therapy in patients with chronic heart failure...
- [Evidence-based antibiotic prophylaxis in aseptic orthopedic surgery]K P Hunfeld
Institut fur Medizinische Mikrobiologie, Klinikum, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt M
Orthopade 32:1070-7. 2003..Antibiotic administration may be repeated in the OR when surgery lasts longer than 3 h. The use of local antibiotics in bone cement has not proven useful as a prophylactic measure...
- Scientific evidence for pre-adjusted edgewise mechanicsNicola A Mandall
Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, University of Manchester, UK
Dent Update 34:45-6, 48, 50-1. 2007..We have summarized findings from randomized and controlled clinical trials following a search of Medline and the Cochrane Clinical Trials Register (CCTR) 1970-June 2005...
- New developments in medical clinical trialsR B D'Agostino
Boston University, Mathematics and Statistics Department, Statistics and Consulting Unit, 111 Cummington St, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Dent Res 83:C18-24. 2004..We close with a brief discussion of the unit of analysis, the role of newer statistical analysis methods, safety issues, subset analysis, and, most importantly, clinical significance...
- A two-stage sample size recalculation procedure for placebo- and active-controlled non-inferiority trialsTodd A Schwartz
Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7420, USA
Stat Med 25:3396-406. 2006....
- Predictive probability of success and the assessment of futility in large outcomes trialsBenjamin Trzaskoma
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, DC 6072, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
J Biopharm Stat 17:45-63. 2007..We will discuss appropriate thresholds for declaring futility based on this approach, and the potential impact of overdispersion, a common phenomenon particularly in global outcomes trials...
- The effect of acetylsalicylic acid resistance on prognosis of patients who have developed acute coronary syndrome during acetylsalicylic acid therapyGultekin F Hobikoglu
Siyami Ersek Thorax and Cardiovascular Surgery Center, Department of Cardiology, Istanbul, Turkey
Can J Cardiol 23:201-6. 2007..Thus, in the present study, the impact of AR was investigated in patients with ACS who were taking acetylsalicylic acid...
- Enhanced inflammatory response to coronary stenting marks the development of clinically relevant restenosisAdriano M Caixeta
Division of Interventional Cardiology, Brasília Heart Institute InCor DF, Zerbini Foundation, Estrada Parque Contorno do Bosque, s n Parte, CEP 70658 900 Brasília, DF, Brazil
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 69:500-7. 2007..The aims of this study were to investigate the effect of coronary stenting on the release of cytokines and cell-mediated immunity factors and to evaluate the association between inflammation and clinical outcomes at 6 months...
- Cyclosporine in the treatment of severe attack of ulcerative colitis: a systematic reviewS García-López
Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Universitario Miguel Servet, Zaragoza, Spain
Gastroenterol Hepatol 28:607-14. 2005..Cyclosporine (CyA) has shown efficacy in steroid failures and could avoid surgery, but controversy remains...
- Choosing the analysis population in non-inferiority studies: per protocol or intent-to-treatM Matilde Sanchez
Clinical Biostatistics and Research Decision Sciences, Ry34 A316, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 2000, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Stat Med 25:1169-81. 2006....
- Effects of warfarin on blood pressure in men with diabetes and hypertension--a longitudinal studyMary Ann Lim
Department of Medicine, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 9:256-8. 2007..The results demonstrate that warfarin therapy at conventional doses does not increase systolic blood pressure or pulse pressure in patients with diabetes and hypertension...
- Non-parametric assessment of non-inferiority with censored dataG Freitag
Institut fur Mathematische Stochastik, Georg August Universitat Gottingen, Germany
Stat Med 25:1201-17. 2006..Non-inferiority over a large time period of the study can be shown in both cases...
- Effect of early statin treatment at standard doses on long-term clinical outcomes in patients with acute myocardial infarction (the Heart Institute of Japan, Department of Cardiology Statin Evaluation Program)Michitaka Nagashima
Department of Cardiology, The Heart Institute of Japan, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Cardiol 99:1523-8. 2007..In conclusion, these findings suggest that initiating standard rather than intensive statin therapy immediately after AMI decreases long-term mortality and subsequent cardiac events...
- A comparison of group sequential methods for binary longitudinal dataBart Spiessens
Biostatistical Center, Catholic University of Leuven, U Z St Rafael, Kapucijnenvoer 35, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Stat Med 22:501-15. 2003..The comparison is illustrated with simulations using a randomized clinical trial for toenail fungal infection...
- No evidence that an exercise-based treatment programme (DDAT) has specific benefits for children with reading difficultiesJohn P Rack
Dyslexia Action, University of York, Heslington, UK
Dyslexia 13:97-104; discussion 105-9. 2007..Current evidence provides no support for the claim that DDAT is effective in improving children's literacy skills...
- Optimal design of clinical trials comparing several treatments with a controlIan C Marschner
Asia Biometrics Center, Pfizer Australia, West Ryde, NSW, Australia
Pharm Stat 6:23-33. 2007..In one example a 55% reduction in sample size is achieved through an optimal design combined with the appropriate characterization of power...
- [Is the supplementation with antioxidants effective in the treatment of atherosclerosis?]St Schröder
Medizinische Klinik, Abteilung fur Kardiologie, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:321-6. 2004..Prospective endpoint studies failed to support this hypothesis. The current literature is summarized in this review...
- Female sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women: systematic review of placebo-controlled trialsKatharina Modelska
Prevention Sciences Group, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:286-93. 2003..This systematic review includes all randomized and placebo-controlled trials (RCTs) of treatment for female sexual dysfunction (FSD) in postmenopausal women published since 1990...
- [The use of pentoxyphylline in the treatment of patients with chronic obliterative diseases of lower limb arteries]V M Koshkin
Angiol Sosud Khir 11:141-7. 2005..The new data are presented on its action mode as are multiple examples of the use of pentoxyphylline in the treatment of patients with peripheral angiopathies...
- Treatment of bipolar depressionSteven L Dubovsky
Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York at Buffalo, 462 Grider Street, Buffalo, NY 14215, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 28:349-70, vii. 2005..Considering the limitations of current knowledge is an essential component of the scientific practice of psychiatry...
- The current understanding of lamotrigine as a mood stabilizerChang Gyu Hahn
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia 19104, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:791-804. 2004..To examine whether lamotrigine has a unique role in the treatment of bipolar disorder, we evaluated the results of recent clinical trials and molecular and cell biological studies on lamotrigine...
- Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder: A critical reviewBernardo Dell'Osso
Department of Psychiatry, Compulsive, Impulsive and Anxiety Disorders Program, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:600-10. 2006....
- Meta-analysis of short-term and mid-term outcomes following off-pump coronary artery bypass graftingJames T Reston
Department of Health Technology Assessment, ECRI, Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 76:1510-5. 2003..Some studies may have been too small to detect clinically important differences in patient outcomes. The present study addresses these issues using meta-analysis...
- Management of comorbid bipolar disorder and substance abuseE Sherwood Brown
Psychoneuroendocrine Research Program, Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:e05. 2006....
- Representativeness of trial populations: an example from a trial of adenotonsillectomy in childrenEmma H van den Akker
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
Acta Otolaryngol 123:297-301. 2003..To compare demographic and disease-specific characteristics of children included in a trial of the effectiveness of adenotonsillectomy with those of children who, although eligible, were not randomized...
- Meta-analysis: evaluation of adjuvant therapy after curative liver resection for hepatocellular carcinomaP Mathurin
Service d Hepatogastroenterologie, Hôpital Claude Hurriez, CHRU Lille, France
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 17:1247-61. 2003..To evaluate adjuvant modalities after curative resection for hepatocellular carcinoma using a meta-analysis of randomized and non-randomized controlled trials...
- The effectiveness of workplace smoking cessation programmes: a meta-analysis of recent studiesG Smedslund
Tob Control 13:197-204. 2004..Using meta-analytic procedures, we compare the effectiveness of recent controlled trials of worksite smoking cessation during the 1990s with a previous meta-analysis of programmes conducted in the 1980s...
- Practice parameter: temporal lobe and localized neocortical resections for epilepsyJerome Engel
Reed Neurological Research Center, Department of Neurology, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1769, USA
Epilepsia 44:741-51. 2003..To examine evidence for effectiveness of anteromesial temporal lobe and localized neocortical resections for disabling complex partial seizures...
- Clinical research on acupuncture. Part 1. What have reviews of the efficacy and safety of acupuncture told us so far?Stephen Birch
Foundation for the Study of Traditional East Asian Medicine, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Altern Complement Med 10:468-80. 2004..This paper also examines conclusions from the same international reviews on the safety and adverse effects of acupuncture. Here, conclusions are more easily drawn and there is good agreement about the safety of acupuncture...
- Participant-centered analysis in complementary and alternative medicine comparative trialsMikel Aickin
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest Region, 3800 N Interstate Avenue, Portland, OR 97227 1098, USA
J Altern Complement Med 9:949-57. 2003....
- Chiropractic care for nonmusculoskeletal conditions: a systematic review with implications for whole systems researchCheryl Hawk
Cleveland Chiropractic College, Kansas City, Missouri 64131, USA
J Altern Complement Med 13:491-512. 2007....
- Handsearching the EMHJ for reports of randomized controlled trials by U.K. Cochrane Centre (Bahrain)A Al Hajeri
Bahrain Branch of U K Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration, Bahrain Correspondence to A Al
East Mediterr Health J 12:S253-7. 2006..Nine reports were identified: 7 randomized controlled trials and 2 controlled clinical trials. The added value of the handsearch over EMBASE was 6 additional reports and over MEDLINE was 4...
- Evidence on the effectiveness of occupational health interventionsJani H Ruotsalainen
Cochrane Occupational Health Field, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Kuopio, Finland
Am J Ind Med 49:865-72. 2006..At present there exists no overview of the range of evidence currently available regarding the effectiveness of occupational health interventions (OHI)...
- The respective roles of controlled clinical trials and cohort monitoring studies in the pre- and postmarketing assessment of drugsMuriel Vray
Unité d Epidémiologie des Maladies Emergentes, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Therapie 60:339-44, 345-9. 2005The respective roles of controlled clinical trials and observational studies (cohort or case-control studies) in evaluating the efficacy, safety and usefulness of a drug were analysed...
- Are better endpoints and better design of clinical trials needed?Jaap Fransen
University Medical Centre Nijmegen, Department of Rheumatology, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 18:97-109. 2004..When it can be measured truly and feasible, the marker would be useful as an endpoint in trials and for supporting treatment decisions in clinical practice...
- N-of-1 trials: innovative methods to evaluate complementary and alternative medicines in pediatric cancerLillian Sung
Department of Health Policy Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 28:263-6. 2006..The use of N-of-1 RCTs may be very beneficial in evaluating CAM therapies in pediatric cancer. However, careful consideration of the advantages and disadvantages of such a design should be undertaken prior to initiating an N-of-1 RCT...
- Issues to consider when planning and conducting educational researchKevin W Eva
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Programme for Educational Research and Development, McMaster University Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Dent Educ 68:316-23. 2004..The article focuses on quantitative methods in general with particular attention paid to experimental designs...
- Elective single embryo transfer following in vitro fertilizationJason K Min
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 32:363-77. 2010....
- A systematic overview of chemotherapy effects in non-small cell lung cancerS Sorenson
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Acta Oncol 40:327-39. 2001..selective use in routine care of advanced NSCLC although patients should be encouraged to participate in controlled clinical trials to further elucidate the role of chemotherapy in advanced disease...
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus through inhibition of the Renin-Angiotensin systemAndre J Scheen
Division of Diabetes, Department of Medicine, Nutrition and Metabolic Disorders, CHU Sart Tilman, Liege, Belgium
Drugs 64:2537-65. 2004..Besides lifestyle changes, various pharmacological treatments have proven their efficacy in placebo-controlled clinical trials, including antidiabetic drugs such as metformin, acarbose and troglitazone, or antiobesity agents such ..
- Alcohol use and pregnancy consensus clinical guidelinesGeorge Carson
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 32:S1. 2010..the last five years with the following research designs: systematic reviews, randomized control trials/controlled clinical trials, and observational studies. There were no language restrictions...
- Benefits and risks of adjunctive inhaled corticosteroids in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a meta-analysisDiana M Sobieraj
University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy, Storrs, Connecticut, USA
Clin Ther 30:1416-25. 2008....
- Ultrasound in twin pregnanciesLucie Morin
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 33:643-56. 2011..Results were restricted to systematic reviews, randomized control trials/controlled clinical trials, and observational studies. There were no date restrictions...
- Substance use in pregnancySuzanne Wong
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 33:367-84. 2011..Results were initially restricted to systematic reviews and randomized control trials/controlled clinical trials. A subsequent search for observational studies was also conducted because there are few RCTs in this ..
- Photodynamic therapy as adjunct to non-surgical periodontal treatment in patients on periodontal maintenance: a randomized controlled clinical trialPanos Chondros
Department of Periodontology, Radboud University Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Lasers Med Sci 24:681-8. 2009..However, currently, there are very limited data from controlled clinical trials evaluating the effect of PDT in the treatment of periodontitis...
- A systematic overview of chemotherapy effects in gastric cancerK G Janunger
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, , Sweden
Acta Oncol 40:309-26. 2001..Therapy is only justified in controlled clinical trials. Published studies on the use of intraperitoneal chemotherapy are few and not conclusive regarding the ..
- Ovulation induction in polycystic ovary syndromeTannys D R Vause
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 32:495-502. 2010..Results were restricted to systematic reviews, randomized control trials/controlled clinical trials, and observational studies...
- Evaluation of prenatally diagnosed structural congenital anomaliesAlain Gagnon
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 31:875-81, 882-9. 2009..To provide information to genetic counsellors, midwives, nurses, and physicians who are involved in the prenatal care of women dealing with prenatally diagnosed isolated or multiple structural congenital anomalies...
- SOGC Clinical Practice Guideline. Ultrasonographic cervical length assessment in predicting preterm birth in singleton pregnanciesKenneth Lim
Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 33:486-99. 2011..To review (1) the use of ultrasonographic-derived cervical length measurement in predicting preterm birth and (2) interventions associated with a short cervical length...
- Capacity of the clinical picture to characterize low back pain relieved by facet joint anesthesia. Proposed criteria to identify patients with painful facet jointsM Revel
, , Paris, France
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1972-6; discussion 1977. 1998..emission computed tomography are expensive and time-consuming procedures for selecting patients in controlled clinical trials with large populations...
- Antibiotic therapy in preterm premature rupture of the membranesMark H Yudin
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 31:863-7, 868-74. 2009..To review the evidence and provide recommendations on the use of antibiotics in preterm premature rupture of the membranes (PPROM)...
- Oral contraceptives and the risk of venous thromboembolism: an updateRobert Reid
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 32:1192-7. 2010..Results were restricted to systematic reviews, randomized control trials/controlled clinical trials, and observational studies...
- Adverse drug interactions involving common prescription and over-the-counter analgesic agentsElliot V Hersh
Department of Oral Surgery and Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6030, USA
Clin Ther 29:2477-97. 2007..In addition, an estimated 36 million Americans use over-the-counter (OTC) analgesics daily. Given this volume of use, it is not surprising that a number of drug interactions involving analgesic drugs have been reported...
- Antiviral therapy for adults with chronic hepatitis B: a systematic review for a National Institutes of Health Consensus Development ConferenceTatyana A Shamliyan
Minnesota Evidence based Practice Center, Division of Health Policy and Management, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, 420 Delaware Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Ann Intern Med 150:111-24. 2009..Chronic hepatitis B infection can lead to liver failure, hepatocellular carcinoma, and death...
- Preimplantation genetic testingFrancois Audibert
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada SOGC, Montreal, QC
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 31:761-75. 2009..To review the techniques and indications of preimplantation genetic testing, including preimplantation genetic diagnosis and screening...
- A critical review of controlled clinical trials for peripheral neuropathic pain and complex regional pain syndromesW S Kingery
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, CA 94304, USA
Pain 73:123-39. 1997..There was almost no overlap in the controlled trial literature between treatments for PNP and CRPS, and treatments used in both conditions (intravenous phentolamine and epidural clonidine) had similar results...
- Recurrent urinary tract infectionAnnette Epp
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 32:1082-90. 2010..Results were restricted to systematic reviews, randomized control trials/controlled clinical trials, and observational studies. There were no date restrictions...
- Healing and relapse rates in gastroesophageal reflux disease treated with the newer proton-pump inhibitors lansoprazole, rabeprazole, and pantoprazole compared with omeprazole, ranitidine, and placebo: evidence from randomized clinical trialsJ J Caro
Division of General Internal Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin Ther 23:998-1017. 2001..The older proton pump inhibitor (PPI) omeprazole and the newer PPIs lansoprazole, rabeprazole, and pantoprazole are approved for the acute and maintenance treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)...
- Compliance and satisfaction with raloxifene versus alendronate for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis in clinical practice: An open-label, prospective, nonrandomized, observational studyCarmen Turbi
Department of Medical Research, Lilly S A, Madrid, Spain
Clin Ther 26:245-56. 2004..Low patient compliance with prescribed osteoporosis treatments can severely distort the validity of controlled clinical trials. Raloxifene and alendronate have been shown to reduce the incidence of osteoporotic fracture in ..
- Safety and efficacy of acupuncture in children: a review of the evidenceVanita Jindal
Division of Intramural Research, National Center for Complementary Medicine, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 30:431-42. 2008..We reviewed 31 different published journal articles, including 23 randomized controlled clinical trials and 8 meta-analysis/systematic reviews...
- Management of worsening multiple sclerosis with mitoxantrone: a reviewEdward J Fox
Multiple Sclerosis Clinic of Central Texas, Round Rock 78681, USA
Clin Ther 28:461-74. 2006....
- A Systems Biology Approach for Pediatric and Adult Autoimmune DiseasesMARIA VIRGINIA PASCUAL; Fiscal Year: 2013..To this end, two Phase II randomized, double-blind, placebo-phase controlled clinical trials are proposed...
- Multi-center Controlled Clinical Trials in Alport Syndrome-A Feasibility StudyClifford E Kashtan; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hope that the approaches we develop will be of relevance to investigators studying other unusual genetic renal disorders. ..
- Preclinical Development of a Novel and Effective Treatment for CoughBlake M Paterson; Fiscal Year: 2011..antitussive therapy, dextromethorphan (DXM) and codeine, are no better than placebo in the majority of controlled clinical trials and have high abuse liability...
- Telehealth Outreach for Chronic Back PainJoseph H Atkinson; Fiscal Year: 2012..Rigorously controlled clinical trials of the type proposed could contribute to more effective, accessible, integrated back pain treatment...
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP BMonica M Bertagnolli; Fiscal Year: 2013..treatment and better understanding of tumor biology and cancer treatment outcomes via the conduct of controlled clinical trials. Over 4,000 members of the Group including oncology physicians, radiologists, pathologists, ..
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP B CCOP RESEARCH BASEElectra D Paskett; Fiscal Year: 2013..treatment and better understanding of tumor biology and cancer treatment outcomes via the conduct of controlled clinical trials. Over 4,000 members of the Group including oncology physicians, radiologists, pathologists, ..
- Maternal Opioid Treatment: Human Experimental ResearchSusan Stine; Fiscal Year: 2009..group trained in addiction medicine, psychiatry, pediatrics, obstetrics, neonatology, and controlled clinical trials with the professional expertise to provide comprehensive care for the subjects and rigorous scientific ..
- Phase II Therapeutic Trial of Mexiletine Richard J Barohn; Fiscal Year: 2010..Because of the rarity of NDM, randomized double-blind placebo controlled clinical trials were not feasible in the past...
- Phase I Study in Patients Supporting IV TPM for Neonatal Seizures (9/07, IND7899)James Cloyd; Fiscal Year: 2009..The current drugs of choice, phenobarbital and phenytoin, have never been subjected to adequately controlled clinical trials. In uncontrolled studies, fewer than 50% of babies respond to therapy and both drugs are associated with ..
- Antitumor and chemopreventive activity of the Ecuadorian plant extract BIRMBal L Lokeshwar; Fiscal Year: 2010..in transgenic models of prostate cancer with the goal of establishing its safety and efficacy for use in controlled clinical trials. In Aim 1, the minimum effective dose, optimum effective dose and maximum tolerated dose of BIRM will be ..
- Comparative Effectiveness and Cost Effectiveness of Cancer ChemotherapyXianglin Du; Fiscal Year: 2013..Randomized controlled clinical trials are considered to be the gold standard for determining the efficacy of a therapy...
- Testerone TrialPeter J Snyder; Fiscal Year: 2013..We therefore propose a closely coordinated set of four, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials to test the hypotheses that testosterone treatment for one year of men >65 years who have ..
- Home-based Exercise for Management of HIV-associated Cardiovascular Disease RiskGregory A Hand; Fiscal Year: 2011..Laboratory-based, tightly controlled clinical trials from our research group and others indicate that physical activity is an appropriate intervention for ..
- EXPERIMENTAL THERAPEUTICS IN NEUROLOGICAL DISEASERobert C Griggs; Fiscal Year: 2013..2) the conceptualization, ethics, design, implementation, management, analysis and reporting of controlled clinical trials;and (3) population-based clinical research, including biostatistics and epidemiology...
- Evaluation of a Novel Anti-Resorptive Therapy for Osteogenesis ImperfectaPATRICIA A COLLIN-OSDOBY; Fiscal Year: 2012..agent for the treatment and management of OI whose therapeutic benefits would merit the initiation of controlled clinical trials with human OI patients...
- Soft Tissue Compression Risk in Rotator Cuff Disease DevelopmentPAULA MARIE LUDEWIG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Subsequent investigations will further test exercise interventions derived from these data through randomized controlled clinical trials comparing to the current standard of care.
- Analysis of five year follow-up data from the Weight Loss Maintenance TrialVictor J Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2010..however, weight loss must be sustained long-term (defined by NHLBI as at least 5 years), and only a few controlled clinical trials have systematically compared weight loss maintenance strategies for more than one year...
- Evolution of Learned Nonuse in Stroke HemiparesisVICTOR WILLIAM MARK; Fiscal Year: 2012..from basic neuroscience research studies and its demonstrated efficacy in numerous randomized controlled clinical trials. The therapy's principal value is for improving the spontaneous use of the paretic upper extremity ..
- Clinical Research on Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseJOEL EDWARD LAVINE; Fiscal Year: 2013..The NASH CRN currently is conducting 2 multi-center, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials which require completion in the renewal period, one In children 8-17 years inclusive and the other in ..
- Safety and Efficacy of Single-use Cliradex Pads for Ocular MitesScheffer C G Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this Phase II application, we propose to conduct randomized, double-blind, controlled clinical trials to demonstrate the safety and efficacy of the single-use Cliradex(R) Pad compared to the Placebo Pad for ..
- Subclinical thyroid dysfunction in the elderlyAnne R Cappola; Fiscal Year: 2013..subclinical thyroid dysfunction and to refine the target population and overall design of randomized, controlled clinical trials of therapy for subclinical thyroid dysfunction...
- Management of Cancer-Treatment-Induced Bone LossLUKE JOSEPH PEPPONE; Fiscal Year: 2013..of CTIBL, 2) to gain experience as a PI in the design, conduct, and analysis of Phase II/III randomized controlled clinical trials, and 3) to gain experience in the testing and implementation of a nutritional supplement intervention (..
- Brain Markers of Anxiety Disorders and SSRI Treatment in Children and AdolescentsKinh Luan Phan; Fiscal Year: 2013..first-line treatment with a variable response rate (pooled estimate of 63%;range: 55-91%) based on controlled clinical trials, this study will perform pre- and post-treatment functional MRI (fMRI) of amygdala and amygdala-vPFC ..
- Effectiveness of Early Stage Prostate Cancer TreatmentMARTIN G contact SANDA; Fiscal Year: 2010..and specific Topic 05-CA-104* Comparative Effectiveness Research on Cancer Treatment: "The results of controlled clinical trials guide recommendations for many initial cancer treatments...
- Cooperative Lifestyle Intervention Programs (CLIP-II)WALTER JOHN REJESKI; Fiscal Year: 2013..the American Society for Nutrition and the Obesity Society highlighted the need for long-term randomized controlled clinical trials evaluating the independent and additive effects of diet-induced weight loss (WL) and exercise in older ..
- Rift Valley Fever Vaccine Development of Animal Models and Optimize ProductionClarence J Peters; Fiscal Year: 2010..animal surrogate model necessary to support efficacy tests under the FDA Animal Rule for diseases where controlled clinical trials are difficult, and to demonstrate protective efficacy in a non-human primate of human antibody to MP-12 ..
- CyberTherapy 2009 - 2013Brenda K Wiederhold; Fiscal Year: 2013..CT highlights the largest program assembled on controlled clinical trials of virtual reality (VR) and advanced interactive technologies in the areas of mental health, ..
- Clinical &metabolic effects of altering n-3 &n-6 fatty acids in migraine (RCT)John Douglas Mann; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Controlled clinical trials investigating pain modulation in response to dietary changes while exploring relevant mechanisms of ..
- Plasma and Intrapulmonary Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics (PKPD) of AerosolJeffrey Golden; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, treatment strategies and outcomes will have to be determined in future controlled clinical trials. Methods will include administering aerosolized INH, RIF or SM to human subjects and collecting samples ..
- EFFICACY OF ANTIDEPRESSANTS IN CHRONIC BACK PAINJoseph H Atkinson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Rigorously controlled clinical trials of the type we propose could contribute to safer, more cost-efficient, and more effective back pain ..
- Influence of Exercise and Adiposity on Biomarkers of Breast Cancer RecurrenceLisa J Wood; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the absence of controlled clinical trials with survival as an endpoint, exercise studies that provide data on biomarkers of cancer progression can ..
- Donepezil to promote functional recovery post-strokeEllen M Whyte; Fiscal Year: 2013..aims of this proposed study are in line with the NCMRR's research priorities, namely "[to] conduct controlled clinical trials to establish&efficacy of treatments to reduce impairments, functional limitations, and disabilities" ..
- Computerized Assessment by Remote Examiner System (CARES)JAMES P O'HALLORAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..immediate commercial application across a range of healthcare delivery networks, research settings, and controlled clinical trials. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: The Computerized Assessment by Remote Examiner System (CARES) is a unique and ..
- Computerized Early Dementia Assessment SystemJAMES P O apos HALLORAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..accepted and applied cognitive tests, sufficient to meet the requirements of a minimum of 75 percent of controlled clinical trials as well as related research...
- Predictors of CBT Outcomes in Youth Anxiety: Integrative Data Analysis ApproachLaura C Skriner; Fiscal Year: 2013..The successful treatment of youth anxiety is thus a top health research priority. Results from controlled clinical trials and meta-analyses suggest that, for many youth with an anxiety disorder, cognitive-behavioral therapy (..
- Amitriptyline and Topiramate in the Prevention of Childhood MigraineScott W Powers; Fiscal Year: 2013..The central problem is the lack of placebo-controlled clinical trials and comparative effectiveness studies of prophylactic medication therapy...
- Amitriptyline and Topiramate in the Prevention of Childhood Migraine: DCCChristopher S Coffey; Fiscal Year: 2013..The central problem is the lack of placebo-controlled clinical trials and comparative effectiveness studies of prophylactic medication therapy...
- Optimizing Pain Treatment while Reducing Abuse Liability in Opioid DependenceDavid Andrew Tompkins; Fiscal Year: 2013..and the results can be used in preparation of an R01 to (1) extend the work to larger Phase 2/3 controlled clinical trials of acute pain treatment, and/or (2) clinical trials to explore additiona analgesic medications or ..
- Overcoming Tramadol Resistance In CYP2D6 Poor MetabolizersJohn A Zebala; Fiscal Year: 2013..Several well controlled clinical trials have shown that the analgesic effect of tramadol is decreased or absent in PM subjects who have low ..
- Neuroendocrine Mechanisms of Developmental Massage Therapy in Preterm InfantsLaurie Moyer Mileur; Fiscal Year: 2009..Well-designed, randomized controlled clinical trials to evaluate the physiological and neuroendocrine mechanisms of massage therapy in premature infants are ..
- Implementation of Asthma Guidelines in Primary Care; Comparison of 4 approachesJames W Mold; Fiscal Year: 2010..1 Randomized controlled clinical trials have demonstrated that implementation of asthma guideline recommendations can significantly improve ..
- Facilitating self-regulation of cocaine craving with real-time fMRI feedbackMelanie Canterberry; Fiscal Year: 2013..of an innovative, individualized approach to the treatment of cocaine dependence and pave the way for controlled clinical trials. Importantly, the proposed research addresses NIDA's strategic goal aimed at developing effective ..
- Spanish and English Multimedia Interventon to Increase Organ and Tissue DonationStephen P Wall; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed research is a series of randomized controlled clinical trials designed to determine if a Spanish and English multimedia module is superior to a standard brochure used ..
- Statistical Methods and Software for Meta-analysis of Diagnostic TestsHaitao Chu; Fiscal Year: 2012..statistical challenges compared to traditional meta-analysis applications such as meta-analysis of controlled clinical trials. In particular, diagnostic accuracy cannot be adequately summarized by one measure;two measures are ..
- Xylitol syrup for the prevention of acute otitis media in otitis-prone childrenLouis Vernacchio; Fiscal Year: 2010..In two well-designed, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials conducted by a single research team in Finland, daily treatment with xylitol five times daily for two to ..
- N-Acetylcysteine for Neuroprotection in Parkinson's DiseaseDikoma C Shungu; Fiscal Year: 2012..of whether there is a GSH deficit in living PD brain that dietary NAC supplementation can mitigate, thereby providing a compelling justification for investigating such neuroprotective strategies in larger controlled clinical trials.
- Diffusion Tensor Imaging in First-Episode SchizophreniaPhilip R Szeszko; Fiscal Year: 2010..to antipsychotic nonresponse in schizophrenia, but research in this area has been limited by the lack of controlled clinical trials from which to recruit patients and test hypotheses...
- 1/3-Multisite RCT of Early Intervention for Spoken Communication in AutismCONNIE L KASARI; Fiscal Year: 2013..this collaborative, multi-site project combines the expertise of investigators experienced in randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs), in the study of core deficits in young children with autism, and in data management and analysis ..
- Menopause Symptom Clusters: Refocusing TherapeuticsNancy Fugate Woods; Fiscal Year: 2011..symptom clusters, and outcomes of well-being and symptom interference;4) conduct a systematic review of controlled clinical trials to identify symptoms as secondary treatment effects and adverse effects that will inform us about ..
- 2/3-Multisite RCT of Early Intervention for Spoken Communication in AutismTRISTRAM H SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2013..this collaborative, multi-site project combines the expertise of investigators experienced in randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs), in the study of core deficits in young children with autism, and in data management and analysis ..
- Excellence In Training: The Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders at BUMichael W Otto; Fiscal Year: 2012..Behavioral Treatment, faculty at CARD have notable experience in the conduct of well controlled clinical trials that have helped establish evidence-based practice in behavioral interventions, dissemination efforts, ..
- Using Clinically-Enhanced Claims Data to Guide Treatment of Acute Heart FailureMark Sonneborn; Fiscal Year: 2010..databases to provide important information about comparative effectiveness in areas where randomized controlled clinical trials and prospectively designed clinical registries often fall short...
- Multicenter Investigation of the Mechanical Determinants of Post-Traumatic OAJ Lawrence Marsh; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies offer hope for a paradigm shift in the acute management of articular joint injury, but controlled clinical trials are desperately needed to realize this potential...
- Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative StudyPaul S Aisen; Fiscal Year: 2013..For the coming grant cycle, the ADCS will continue its efforts to advance therapeutics through controlled clinical trials, development o novel instruments and trial designs, recruitment efforts (with particular attention to ..
- EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF NARCOTICS FOR PEDIATRIC SEDATIONPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 1990..and Sedation in the Dental Office" recognized the liabilities of pediatric sedation and the paucity of controlled clinical trials evaluating sedation treatment modalities...
- Intervention effects of intensity and delivery style for toddlers with ASDSally J Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2013..early intervention is a powerful treatment for ASD, improving IQ and language markedly in randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs), though little long term follow-up data exists...
- Building Infrastruture for Comparative Effectiveness Protocols (BICEP)JOHN THOMAS LYNCH; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Medical treatments for disease are generally proven through controlled clinical trials with restrictive eligibility criteria-...
- POLYUNSATURATES AND KC1 TO CONTROL MILD HYPERTENSIONFrank Sacks; Fiscal Year: 1991Three randomized placebo-controlled clinical trials in mild hypertensives are proposed to assess the hypotensive potential of dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids in fish, oil, and of dietary magnesium, alone and with supplemental ..
- META ANALYSIS OF CLINICAL INFORMATION SERVICE TRIALSE Balas; Fiscal Year: 2001..of computer- assisted and conventional information services by synthesizing evidence from randomized controlled clinical trials. A series of meta-analyses is proposed to evaluate the effect of major information interventions on the ..
- A Video DVD Program to Assist with Informed ConsentNeil Love; Fiscal Year: 2004Randomized controlled clinical trials are universally viewed as the gold standard for evidence-based medicine and the most powerful tool available to evaluate interventions for possible incorporation into clinical practice...
- Interstitial Cystitis Clinical Research NetworkChristopher Payne; Fiscal Year: 2007..fully as a member of the steering committee in designing and carrying out multicenter randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs)...
- EVALUATION OF MINIMALLY INVASIVE SURGERYStanley Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2003..The treatment of these common gastrointestinal disorders needs to be studied in randomized controlled clinical trials. Given my training and experience in surgical endoscopy and minimally invasive surgery (laparoscopy), I ..
- U.S. India Collaborative Partnership in Parkinson Disease (CPPD)KARL D KIEBURTZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..PRAI), each of which is committed to cooperative planning, implementation, analysis and reporting of controlled clinical trials in Parkinson Disease (PD)...
- STUDIES ON ENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTION IN HEART FAILUREStuart Katz; Fiscal Year: 2004..We now propose: 1) to perform controlled clinical trials to determine whether specific therapies which decrease oxidative stress (Vitamin C, Vitamin E), increase ..
- TIDAL LAVAGE VS SHAM LAVAGE IN KNEE OSTEOARTHRITISJohn Bradley; Fiscal Year: 1999DESCRIPTION: (Adapted from Investigator's Abstract) While numerous randomized controlled clinical trials document the efficacy of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in the symptomatic management of patients with OA, the utility ..
- THROMBOLYSIS IN MYOCARDIAL ISCHEMIA COORDINATING CENTERGenell Knatterud; Fiscal Year: 1992The Thrombolysis in Myocardial Ischemia (TIMI III) studies consist of two multicenter, randomized controlled clinical trials in patients with unstable angina or non-Q-wave myocardial infarction...
- Improving Anti-Thrombotic Use in Stroke PreventionRebecca Beyth; Fiscal Year: 2006..Evidence from controlled clinical trials shows that adjusted-dose warfarin decreases the risk of stroke by two-thirds...
- PHYSIOLOGICAL ADAPTATION TO SUSTAINED HYPO-OSMOLALITYJoseph Verbalis; Fiscal Year: 2002..Because controlled clinical trials are difficult and potentially dangerous in this population, studies using an animal model that mimics ..
- Allicin bioavailability of garlic productsLarry Lawson; Fiscal Year: 2009..To be able to conduct blinded, placebo-controlled clinical trials, garlic powder supplements have been commonly used...
- DCC--INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS CLINICAL TRIALS GROUPJ Landis; Fiscal Year: 2003..data management and researc computing leadership for the ICCTG in the conduct of a series of randomized, controlled clinical trials (RCTs) at five Clinical Research Centers (CRCs) to investigate current and novel medical therapies for ..
- DIET, DISEASE, AND PANCREATIC ENZYME SYNTHESIS IN HUMANSSTEPHEN O KEEFE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Recent controlled clinical trials suggest that tube-feeding with elemental diets has advantages over TPN with regard to cost, safety (less ..