Genomes and Genes
Summary: The condition in which reasonable knowledge regarding risks, benefits, or the future is not available.
Publications354 found, 100 shown here
- Uncertainty, neuromodulation, and attentionAngela J Yu
Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit, London, United Kingdom
Neuron 46:681-92. 2005b>Uncertainty in various forms plagues our interactions with the environment...
- Pvclust: an R package for assessing the uncertainty in hierarchical clusteringRyota Suzuki
Department of Mathematical and Computing Sciences, Tokyo Institute of Technology 2 12 1 Ookayama, Meguro ku, Tokyo 152 8552, Japan
Bioinformatics 22:1540-2. 2006Pvclust is an add-on package for a statistical software R to assess the uncertainty in hierarchical cluster analysis...
- Uncertainty in heterogeneity estimates in meta-analysesJohn P A Ioannidis
Clinical Trials and Evidence Based Medicine Unit, Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, University of Ioannina School of Medicine, Ioannina 45110, Greece
BMJ 335:914-6. 2007
- Coordinate-based activation likelihood estimation meta-analysis of neuroimaging data: a random-effects approach based on empirical estimates of spatial uncertaintySimon B Eickhoff
Institut for Neuroscience and Biophysics Medicine INB 3, Research Center Julich, Julich, Germany
Hum Brain Mapp 30:2907-26. 2009..variability for 16 functionally defined regions, which were then used to explicitly model the spatial uncertainty associated with each reported coordinate...
- A methodology for performing global uncertainty and sensitivity analysis in systems biologySimeone Marino
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0620, USA
J Theor Biol 254:178-96. 2008..However, these methods do not accurately assess uncertainty and sensitivity in the system as, by default, they hold all other parameters fixed at baseline values...
- Choice, uncertainty and value in prefrontal and cingulate cortexMatthew F S Rushworth
Department of Experimental Psychology and Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain, John Radcliffe Hospital, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3UD, UK
Nat Neurosci 11:389-97. 2008..Moreover, decisions are not guided solely by the magnitude of the reward that is expected. Uncertainty in the estimate of the reward expectation, the value of information that might be gained by taking a course of ..
- Accounting for alignment uncertainty in phylogenomicsMartin Wu
Department of Biology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e30288. 2012b>Uncertainty in multiple sequence alignments has a large impact on phylogenetic analyses...
- Neural systems responding to degrees of uncertainty in human decision-makingMing Hsu
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences, 228 77, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Science 310:1680-3. 2005..Neurological subjects with orbitofrontal lesions were insensitive to the level of ambiguity and risk in behavioral choices. These data suggest a general neural circuit responding to degrees of uncertainty, contrary to decision theory.
- A common role of insula in feelings, empathy and uncertaintyTania Singer
Laboratory for Social and Neural Systems Research, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Trends Cogn Sci 13:334-40. 2009..accumulating evidence highlights a crucial role of the insular cortex in feelings, empathy and processing uncertainty in the context of decision making, neuroscientific models of affective learning and decision making have mostly ..
- Knowing how much you don't know: a neural organization of uncertainty estimatesDominik R Bach
Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, University College London, UK
Nat Rev Neurosci 13:572-86. 2012How we estimate uncertainty is important in decision neuroscience and has wide-ranging implications in basic and clinical neuroscience, from computational models of optimality to ideas on psychopathological disorders including anxiety, ..
- Cortical substrates for exploratory decisions in humansNathaniel D Daw
Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit, University College London UCL, Alexandra House, 17 Queen Square, London WC1N 3AR, UK
Nature 441:876-9. 2006..The results suggest a model of action selection under uncertainty that involves switching between exploratory and exploitative behavioural modes, and provide a computationally ..
- Correlating viral phenotypes with phylogeny: accounting for phylogenetic uncertaintyJoe Parker
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, United Kingdom
Infect Genet Evol 8:239-46. 2008..This method accounts for uncertainty arising from phylogenetic error and provides a statistical significance test of the null hypothesis that traits ..
- Neural correlates, computation and behavioural impact of decision confidenceAdam Kepecs
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1 Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, New York 11724, USA
Nature 455:227-31. 2008..We suggest that confidence estimation may be a fundamental and ubiquitous component of decision-making...
- Improving GO semantic similarity measures by exploring the ontology beneath the terms and modelling uncertaintyHaixuan Yang
Department of Computer Science and Centre for Systems and Synthetic Biology, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, TW20 0EX, UK
Bioinformatics 28:1383-9. 2012..Second, existing similarity measures do not model the inherent uncertainty which comes from the fact that our current knowledge of the gene annotation and of the ontology structure is ..
- The comparative psychology of uncertainty monitoring and metacognitionJ David Smith
Department of Psychology and Center for Cognitive Science, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Behav Brain Sci 26:317-39; discussion 340-73. 2003Researchers have begun to explore animals' capacities for uncertainty monitoring and metacognition. This exploration could extend the study of animal self-awareness and establish the relationship of self-awareness to other-awareness...
- Climate change impacts on tree ranges: model intercomparison facilitates understanding and quantification of uncertaintyAlissar Cheaib
Laboratoire d Ecologie, Systématique et Evolution ESE, Univ Paris Sud, UMR 8079 CNRS Univ Paris Sud AgroParisTech, Orsay Cedex, France
Ecol Lett 15:533-44. 2012..However, poorly evaluated sources of uncertainty require more scrutiny before relying heavily on models for decision-making...
- Oxytocin and cooperation under conditions of uncertainty: the modulating role of incentives and social informationCarolyn H Declerck
University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics, Antwerpen, Belgium
Horm Behav 57:368-74. 2010..When these cues are absent, OT appears to instead elicit a risk-averse strategy...
- Fast, single-molecule localization that achieves theoretically minimum uncertaintyCarlas S Smith
Department of Imaging Science and Technology, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
Nat Methods 7:373-5. 2010....
- Comparing niche- and process-based models to reduce prediction uncertainty in species range shifts under climate changeXavier Morin
Centre d Ecologie Fonctionnelle et Evolutive, Unite Mixte de Recherche, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique 5175, Equipe BIOFLUX, CNRS, 1919, route de Mende, 34293 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Ecology 90:1301-13. 2009....
- Climate change and forests of the future: managing in the face of uncertaintyConstance I Millar
USDA Forest Service, Sierra Nevada Research Center, Pacific Southwest Research Station, 800 Buchanan Street, Albany, California 94710, USA
Ecol Appl 17:2145-51. 2007..Priority-setting approaches (e.g., triage), appropriate for rapidly changing conditions and for situations where needs are greater than available capacity to respond, will become increasingly important in the future...
- A general Bayesian treatment for MEG source reconstruction incorporating lead field uncertaintyJ D Lopez
Mechatronics School, Bl M8 108 Facultad de Minas, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Medellin, Colombia
Neuroimage 60:1194-204. 2012There is uncertainty introduced when a cortical surface based model derived from an anatomical MRI is used to reconstruct neural activity with MEG data...
- Bayesian theories of conditioning in a changing worldAaron C Courville
Département d informatique et de recherche opérationnelle, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC H3C 3J7, Canada
Trends Cogn Sci 10:294-300. 2006..We suggest that, in a statistical account of conditioning, surprise signals change and therefore uncertainty and the need for new learning...
- Prospective strategies to delay the evolution of anti-malarial drug resistance: weighing the uncertaintyDavid L Smith
Emerging Pathogens Institute and Department of Biology, University of Florida, Gainesville, 32611, USA
Malar J 9:217. 2010..Such strategies are deployed to best effect before resistance has emerged, under conditions of great uncertainty.
- A Bayesian approach to targeted experiment designJ Vanlier
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Bioinformatics 28:1136-42. 2012..amount of experimental data on which the models are parameterized is often limited, these models exhibit large uncertainty in both parameters and predictions...
- Exploring uncertainty in the calibration of the molecular clockRachel C M Warnock
School of Earth Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Biol Lett 8:156-9. 2012..Bayesian approaches to divergence time estimation make it possible to incorporate the uncertainty in the degree to which fossil evidence approximates the true time of divergence...
- Near optimal combination of sensory and motor uncertainty in time during a naturalistic perception-action taskA Aldo Faisal
Dept of Engineering, Univ of Cambridge, Trumpington St, CB2 1PZ Cambridge, UK
J Neurophysiol 101:1901-12. 2009..In general, the longer we perceive, the smaller the uncertainty in perceptual estimates...
- Evolution of direct reciprocity under uncertainty can explain human generosity in one-shot encountersAndrew W Delton
Center for Evolutionary Psychology, Department of Psychology and Anthropology, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:13335-40. 2011..the necessary byproduct of selection on decision systems for regulating dyadic reciprocity under conditions of uncertainty. In deciding whether to engage in dyadic reciprocity, these systems must balance (i) the costs of mistaking a ..
- "Could this be something serious?" Reassurance, uncertainty, and empathy in response to patients' expressions of worryRonald M Epstein
Department of Family Medicine, Rochester, NY, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:1731-9. 2007..Previous work suggests that exploration and validation of patients' concerns is associated with greater patient trust, lower health care costs, improved counseling, and more guideline-concordant care...
- Uncertainty in assessing the impacts of global change with coupled dynamic species distribution and population modelsErin Conlisk
Department of Biology, Center for Conservation Biology, University of California, 900 University Ave, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Glob Chang Biol 19:858-69. 2013..Each modelling component introduces its own source of uncertainty through different parameters and assumptions, which, when combined, can result in compounded uncertainty that ..
- Network resets in medial prefrontal cortex mark the onset of behavioral uncertaintyMattias P Karlsson
Janelia Farm Research Campus, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 19700 Helix Drive, Ashburn, VA 20147, USA
Science 338:135-9. 2012..These dynamics reflect network switches to a state of instability, which diminishes over the period of exploration as new stable representations are formed...
- Model parameter estimation and uncertainty: a report of the ISPOR-SMDM Modeling Good Research Practices Task Force--6Andrew H Briggs
Health Economics and Health Technology Assessment, Institute of Health and Wellbeing, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Value Health 15:835-42. 2012..point estimate for a specific outcome but also in the systematic examination and responsible reporting of uncertainty surrounding this outcome and the ultimate decision being addressed...
- Parameter uncertainty analysis of non-point source pollution from different land use typesZhen yao Shen
State Key Laboratory of Water Environment Simulation, School of Environment, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, P R China
Sci Total Environ 408:1971-8. 2010Land use type is one of the most important factors that affect the uncertainty in non-point source (NPS) pollution simulation...
- Model parameter estimation and uncertainty analysis: a report of the ISPOR-SMDM Modeling Good Research Practices Task Force Working Group-6Andrew H Briggs
Institute of Health and Wellbeing, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Med Decis Making 32:722-32. 2012..point estimate for a specific outcome but also in the systematic examination and responsible reporting of uncertainty surrounding this outcome and the ultimate decision being addressed...
- Characterizing structural uncertainty in decision analytic models: a review and application of methodsLaura Bojke
Centre for Health Economics, University of York, York, UK
Value Health 12:739-49. 2009The characterization of uncertainty is critical in cost-effectiveness analysis, particularly when considering whether additional evidence is needed...
- Risk, unexpected uncertainty, and estimation uncertainty: Bayesian learning in unstable settingsElise Payzan-LeNestour
University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
PLoS Comput Biol 7:e1001048. 2011..Here, we investigate what this implies for human appreciation of uncertainty. In our task, a Bayesian learner distinguishes three equally salient levels of uncertainty...
- Decision-making under great uncertainty: environmental management in an era of global changeStephen Polasky
Department of Applied Economics, University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Trends Ecol Evol 26:398-404. 2011..Standard approaches to decision-making under uncertainty require information about the likelihood of alternative states, how states and actions combine to form outcomes ..
- The experimental uncertainty of heterogeneous public K(i) dataChristian Kramer
Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Novartis Pharma AG, Forum 1, Novartis Campus, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
J Med Chem 55:5165-73. 2012..Consequently, experimental uncertainty defines a natural upper limit to the predictive performance possible...
- Visualizing uncertainty about the futureDavid Spiegelhalter
Centre for Mathematical Sciences, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB3 0WB, UK
Science 333:1393-400. 2011We are all faced with uncertainty about the future, but we can get the measure of some uncertainties in terms of probabilities...
- Decision-making under uncertainty: biases and BayesiansPete C Trimmer
Department of Computer Science, University of Bristol, UK
Anim Cogn 14:465-76. 2011..This paper reviews the theoretical side of decision-making under uncertainty, particularly with regard to unknown risk (ambiguity)...
- Bayesian models: the structure of the world, uncertainty, behavior, and the brainIris Vilares
Departments of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Physiology, and Applied Mathematics, Northwestern University, 345E Superior St Onterie, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1224:22-39. 2011Experiments on humans and other animals have shown that uncertainty due to unreliable or incomplete information affects behavior. Recent studies have formalized uncertainty and asked which behaviors would minimize its effect...
- Future uncertainty and socioeconomic inequalities in health: the Whitehall II studyJane E Ferrie
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London Medical School, London, UK
Soc Sci Med 57:637-46. 2003..These findings imply that the specific effects of job insecurity in this cohort may be less important than the more general effects of financial insecurity in determining inequalities in health...
- Rapid word learning under uncertainty via cross-situational statisticsChen Yu
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences and Program in Cognitive Science, Indiana University, IN 47405, USA
Psychol Sci 18:414-20. 2007..Different learning conditions varied the degree of within-trial reference uncertainty, the number of trials, and the length of trials...
- A comparison of approaches to account for uncertainty in analysis of imputed genotypesJin Zheng
Center for Statistical Genetics, Department of Biostatistics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Genet Epidemiol 35:102-10. 2011..A natural question when implementing these procedures concerns how best to take into account uncertainty in imputed genotypes...
- Thinking outside the box: recent advances in the analysis and presentation of uncertainty in cost-effectiveness studiesAndrew H Briggs
Health Economics Research Centre, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7LF, United Kingdom
Annu Rev Public Health 23:377-401. 2002..In particular, we focus on the handling and presentation of uncertainty, including the importance of estimation rather than hypothesis testing, the use of the net-benefit statistic, ..
- Beta-band activity during motor planning reflects response uncertaintyCharidimos Tzagarakis
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 30:11270-7. 2010..Here, we examined whether the degree of uncertainty about the upcoming movement direction modulated beta-band desynchronization during motor preparation...
- Accounting for phylogenetic uncertainty in biogeography: a Bayesian approach to dispersal-vicariance analysis of the thrushes (Aves: Turdus)Johan A A Nylander
School of Computational Science, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida 32306, USA
Syst Biol 57:257-68. 2008..Here, we apply a Bayesian approach to dispersal-vicariance analysis that accounts for phylogenetic uncertainty and allows a more accurate analysis of the biogeographic history of lineages...
- Rostrolateral prefrontal cortex and individual differences in uncertainty-driven explorationDavid Badre
Department of Cognitive, Linguistic, and Psychological Sciences, Brown Institute for Brain Sciences, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912 1978, USA
Neuron 73:595-607. 2012..outcome? Recent evidence suggests that individuals may strategically explore as a function of the relative uncertainty about the expected value of options...
- Sloppy models, parameter uncertainty, and the role of experimental designJoshua F Apgar
Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Mol Biosyst 6:1890-900. 2010....
- An integrated strategy for prediction uncertainty analysisJ Vanlier
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Bioinformatics 28:1130-5. 2012..biological pathways in combination with the limited amount of quantitative data results in large parameter uncertainty which propagates into model predictions...
- Influence of uncertainty and surprise on human corticospinal excitability during preparation for actionSven Bestmann
Sobell Department of Motor Neuroscience and Movement Disorders, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London, UK
Curr Biol 18:775-80. 2008..We systematically varied the uncertainty about an impending action by changing the validity of the instructive visual cue...
- A neural representation of categorization uncertainty in the human brainJack Grinband
Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Neuron 49:757-63. 2006..Psychophysical functions were used to define a decision variable, categorization uncertainty, which was systematically manipulated...
- Implicit knowledge of visual uncertainty guides decisions with asymmetric outcomesLouise Whiteley
Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit, University College London, London, UK
J Vis 8:2.1-15. 2008..by noise (Green & Swets, 1989), requiring the brain to compute perceptual beliefs under conditions of uncertainty. Here we show that human observers performing a simple visual choice task under an externally imposed loss ..
- Accounting for methodological, structural, and parameter uncertainty in decision-analytic models: a practical guideJoke Bilcke
Center for Health Economic Research and Modeling for Infectious Diseases CHERMID, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute VAXINFECTIO, Antwerp University, Antwerp, Belgium
Med Decis Making 31:675-92. 2011Accounting for uncertainty is now a standard part of decision-analytic modeling and is recommended by many health technology agencies and published guidelines...
- Uncertainty analysis for 3D image-based cervix cancer brachytherapy by repetitive MR imaging: assessment of DVH-variations between two HDR fractions within one applicator insertion and their clinical relevanceStefan Lang
Department of Radiotherapy, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Radiother Oncol 107:26-31. 2013..To investigate dosimetric uncertainties of MRI-based cervix cancer brachytherapy, when applying two HDR fractions for each applicator insertion and their clinical relevance...
- Accounting for uncertainty in marine reserve designBenjamin S Halpern
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis, 735 State St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101, USA
Ecol Lett 9:2-11; discussion 11-4. 2006..Managing and conserving these systems in the face of uncertainty remains a daunting challenge, particularly with respect to developing networks of marine reserves...
- Empirical uncertainty and moral contest: a qualitative analysis of the relationship between medical specialists and the pharmaceutical industry in AustraliaE Doran
Discipline of Clinical Pharmacology, School of Medical Practice and Population Health, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Soc Sci Med 62:1510-9. 2006....
- PPAR-γ as a therapeutic target in cardiovascular disease: evidence and uncertaintyJanice V Huang
Cardiology Section, Denver VA Medical Center, US Department of Veterans Affairs, Denver, CO, USA
J Lipid Res 53:1738-54. 2012..This review addresses these issues from a clinician's perspective and highlights several ongoing clinical trials that may help to clarify the therapeutic role of PPAR-γ activators in cardiovascular disease...
- Range uncertainty in proton therapy due to variable biological effectivenessAlejandro Carabe
Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Phys Med Biol 57:1159-72. 2012..The results of our study allow a quantitative consideration of RBE-caused range uncertainties as a function of treatment site and dose in treatment planning...
- Gaussian process regression bootstrapping: exploring the effects of uncertainty in time course dataPaul D W Kirk
Centre for Bioinformatics, Division of Molecular Biosciences, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Bioinformatics 25:1300-6. 2009Although widely accepted that high-throughput biological data are typically highly noisy, the effects that this uncertainty has upon the conclusions we draw from these data are often overlooked...
- Communicating uncertainty can lead to less decision satisfaction: a necessary cost of involving patients in shared decision making?Mary C Politi
Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, Wales, UK
Health Expect 14:84-91. 2011Given the large number of interventions of uncertain effectiveness, research on communicating uncertainty is needed to examine its impact on patients' health decisions.
- Dealing with uncertainty in general practice: an essential skill for the general practitionerMargaret O'Riordan
Centre for Health Sciences Research, Cardiff University, Neuadd Meirionnydd, Wales, UK
Qual Prim Care 19:175-81. 2011Many patients attending general practice do not have an obvious diagnosis at presentation. Skills to deal with uncertainty are particularly important in general practice as undifferentiated and unorganised problems are a common challenge ..
- Impact and uncertainty of a traffic management intervention: population exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbonsSotiris Vardoulakis
Public and Environmental Health Research Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Sci Total Environ 394:244-51. 2008..air pollutants has often been quantified in a deterministic manner that disregards the various sources of uncertainty in the modelling systems used...
- Practical issues in handling data input and uncertainty in a budget impact analysisM J C Nuijten
Institute for Medical Technology Assessment iMTA, Erasmus University Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, Rotterdam, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Health Econ 12:231-41. 2011The objective of this paper was to address the importance of dealing systematically and comprehensively with uncertainty in a budget impact analysis (BIA) in more detail...
- Reducing the uncertainty in measurement and understanding of mercury in the atmosphereMae Gustin
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Science, University of Nevada Reno, USA
Environ Sci Technol 44:2222-7. 2010..Elucidating the extent of mercury in the atmosphere requires deployment of robust and sensitive instruments...
- Social context, the struggle with uncertainty, and subjective risk as meaning-rich constructs for explaining HBP noncomplianceMichelle Proulx
Equipe sur le Médicament Comme Objet Social et Culturel MEOS, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite de Montreal, Canada
Patient Educ Couns 68:98-106. 2007..To identify the reasons for which people fail to take blood-pressure-lowering medication regularly, a qualitative study was conducted...
- Coping with uncertainty: T1a,bN0M0 HER2-positive breast cancer, do we have a treatment threshold?C M Kelly
Department of Medical Oncology, Waterford Regional Hospital, Dunmore Road, Waterford, Ireland
Ann Oncol 22:2387-93. 2011..The absolute benefits associated with treating this subgroup are uncertain...
- Estimating toxicity-related biological pathway altering doses for high-throughput chemical risk assessmentRichard S Judson
National Center for Computational Toxicology, Office of Research and Development, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, United States
Chem Res Toxicol 24:451-62. 2011..assay data and an in vitro-derived pharmacokinetic model, coupled with estimates of population variability and uncertainty. The quantity we calculate, the biological pathway altering dose (BPAD), is analogous to current risk ..
- Probabilistic models in human sensorimotor controlDaniel M Wolpert
Computational and Biological Learning Group, Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge, Trumpington Street, Cambridge CB2 1PZ, Cambridge, UK
Hum Mov Sci 26:511-24. 2007Sensory and motor uncertainty form a fundamental constraint on human sensorimotor control...
- Coping with environmental uncertainty: dynamic bet hedging as a maternal effectAngela J Crean
School of Integrative Biology, University of Queensland, 4072 Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 364:1087-96. 2009..but what happens when the offspring's environment is unpredictable? Theory suggests that when mothers face uncertainty regarding their offspring's environment, they should increase within-clutch variation in the offspring ..
- Assessing the risk of bluetongue to UK livestock: uncertainty and sensitivity analyses of a temperature-dependent model for the basic reproduction numberSimon Gubbins
Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright Laboratory, Ash Road, Pirbright, Surrey GU24 0NF, UK
J R Soc Interface 5:363-71. 2008..Moreover, explicit temperature dependence was included for those parameters for which it had been quantified. Uncertainty and sensitivity analyses based on Latin hypercube sampling and partial rank correlation coefficients identified ..
- A dosimetric uncertainty analysis for photon-emitting brachytherapy sources: report of AAPM Task Group No. 138 and GEC-ESTROLarry A DeWerd
Department of Medical Physics and Accredited Dosimetry Calibration Laboratory, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Med Phys 38:782-801. 2011..The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement (GUM) and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Technical Note 1297 are ..
- From uncertainty to reward: BOLD characteristics differentiate signaling pathwaysBirgit Abler
Department of Psychiatry, University of Ulm, Leimgrubenweg 12 14, 89075 Ulm, Germany
BMC Neurosci 10:154. 2009Reward value and uncertainty are represented by dopamine neurons in monkeys by distinct phasic and tonic firing rates...
- Uncertainty analysis of least-cost modeling for designing wildlife linkagesPaul Beier
School of Forestry and Merriam Powell Center for Environmental Research, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona 86011 5018, USA
Ecol Appl 19:2067-77. 2009..Each model produced a proposed corridor for that species. We examined the extent to which uncertainty in factor weights and class resistance values affected two key conservation-relevant outputs, namely, the ..
- Physicians' reactions to uncertainty in the context of shared decision makingMary C Politi
Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63112 1408, USA
Patient Educ Couns 80:155-7. 2010Physicians' reactions towards uncertainty may influence their willingness to engage in shared decision making (SDM)...
- Risk of tumorigenesis in first-in-human trials of embryonic stem cell neural derivatives: Ethics in the face of long-term uncertaintyPascale G Hess
Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
Account Res 16:175-98. 2009..These challenges are examined within the context of foreseen trials for disorders of the central nervous system...
- Communicating uncertainty--how Australian television reported H1N1 risk in 2009: a content analysisAndrea S Fogarty
School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
BMC Public Health 11:181. 2011..This paper presents a case-study of news communication regarding the emergence of pH1N1...
- A computational model of limb impedance control based on principles of internal model uncertaintyDjordje Mitrovic
IPAB, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e13601. 2010..this computational model could be used to interpret existing experimental impedance control data from the viewpoint of optimality or could even govern the design of future experiments based on principles of internal model uncertainty.
- The hippocampus codes the uncertainty of cue-outcome associations: an intracranial electrophysiological study in humansGiovanna Vanni-Mercier
Center for Cognitive Neuroscience, Reward and Decision Making Group, CNRS, UMR 5229, Universite Lyon 1, 69675 Bron Cedex, France
J Neurosci 29:5287-94. 2009..midbrain dopaminergic neurons code two statistical properties of reward: a prediction error at the outcome and uncertainty during the delay period between cues and outcomes...
- Risk-sensitive optimal feedback control accounts for sensorimotor behavior under uncertaintyArne J Nagengast
Computational and Biological Learning Lab, Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS Comput Biol 6:e1000857. 2010..controller) or as an added value (risk-seeking controller) to model human motor behavior in the face of uncertainty. We use a sensorimotor task to test the hypothesis that subjects are risk-sensitive...
- Modulation of pain ratings by expectation and uncertainty: Behavioral characteristics and anticipatory neural correlatesChristopher A Brown
Human Pain Research Group, Clinical Sciences Building, Hope Hospital, Salford M6 8HD, United Kingdom
Pain 135:240-50. 2008..Source analysis (LORETA) revealed that uncertainty about expected heat intensity involves an anticipatory cortical network commonly associated with attention (..
- Coverage with evidence development: an examination of conceptual and policy issuesJohn Hutton
University of York, York Y010 5DD, UK
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 23:425-32. 2007..CED demands that additional evidence is generated to address the sources of uncertainty and secure ongoing coverage...
- Accounting for uncertainty in ecological analysis: the strengths and limitations of hierarchical statistical modelingNoel Cressie
Program in Spatial Statistics and Environmental Statistics, Department of Statistics, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Ecol Appl 19:553-70. 2009Analyses of ecological data should account for the uncertainty in the process(es) that generated the data. However, accounting for these uncertainties is a difficult task, since ecology is known for its complexity...
- Discrete coding of reward probability and uncertainty by dopamine neuronsChristopher D Fiorillo
Institute of Physiology, University of Fribourg, CH 1700 Fribourg, Switzerland
Science 299:1898-902. 2003b>Uncertainty is critical in the measure of information and in assessing the accuracy of predictions. It is determined by probability P, being maximal at P = 0.5 and decreasing at higher and lower probabilities...
- Uncertainty assessment of input parameters for economic evaluation: Gauss's error propagation, an alternative to established methodsBjörn Stollenwerk
Institute of Health Economics and Clinical Epidemiology of the University of Cologne, Gleueler Strasse Cologne, Germany
Med Decis Making 30:304-13. 2010..evaluation, bootstrapping and the Cholesky decomposition method are frequently used to assess parameter uncertainty and to support probabilistic sensitivity analysis...
- The effects of uncertainty in error monitoring on associated ERPsPatricia E Pailing
Department of Psychology, University of Waterloo, Ont, Canada
Brain Cogn 56:215-33. 2004A series of experiments were conducted to address the effect of uncertainty regarding performance for predicting the likelihood of a correct-response negativity (CRN) in addition to error-related negativity (ERN)...
- Uncertainties associated with quantifying climate change impacts on human health: a case study for diarrheaErik W Kolstad
Uni Bjerknes Centre, Bergen, Norway
Environ Health Perspect 119:299-305. 2011..Climate change is expected to have large impacts on health at low latitudes where droughts and malnutrition, diarrhea, and malaria are projected to increase...
- Cancer in the mass print media: fear, uncertainty and the medical modelJuanne N Clarke
Wilfrid Laurier University Waterloo, Ont, Canada
Soc Sci Med 62:2591-600. 2006..The paper concludes with a discussion of the implications of the linking of fear with cancer in the context of medicine as the solution...
- Equipoise, design bias, and randomized controlled trials: the elusive ethics of new drug developmentJames F Fries
Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, California, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 6:R250-5. 2004The concept of 'equipoise', or the 'uncertainty principle', has been represented as a central ethical principle, and holds that a subject may be enrolled in a randomized controlled trial (RCT) only if there is true uncertainty about ..
- Variants of uncertainty in decision-making and their neural correlatesKirsten G Volz
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences, PO Box 500 355, D 04303 Leipzig, Germany
Brain Res Bull 67:403-12. 2005..refer to them as a family of subjective probability concepts or following Kahneman and Tversky, as variants of uncertainty. The authors distinguished between external and internal attributions of uncertainty and could show that the ..
- Human midbrain sensitivity to cognitive feedback and uncertainty during classification learningA R Aron
Dept of Psychology and Brain Research Institute, University of California Los Angeles, CA 90065, USA
J Neurophysiol 92:1144-52. 2004..ventral striatal, orbital, and medial frontal regions, as well as by showing sensitivity to the degree of uncertainty associated with individual stimuli...
- Outcomes of an intervention to reduce uncertainty among African American women with diabetesEmelia Amoako
School of Nursing, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC 27402 6170, USA
West J Nurs Res 30:928-42. 2008Poor adjustment to diabetes in older African American women may result from uncertainty, stemming from a lack of information about self-care activities, a complexity of self-care activities, comorbid conditions, and a lack of resources...
- Multi-scale strategies for the monitoring of freshwater cyanobacteria: reducing the sources of uncertaintyRamsy Agha
Departamento de Biologia, C Darwin 2, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28049 Cantoblanco, Spain
Water Res 46:3043-53. 2012..heterogeneities in both cyanobacterial distribution (remote sensing) and MC concentrations (subpopulation analysis) and thereby reduce the main sources of uncertainty in the assessment of the risks associated to bloom events.
- Making conservation decisions under uncertainty for the persistence of multiple speciesEmily Nicholson
The Ecology Centre, School of Integrative Biology, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland 4072, Australia
Ecol Appl 17:251-65. 2007..given the associated uncertainties? We use information-gap decision theory to explore the impact of parameter uncertainty on the conservation decision when planning for the persistence of multiple species...
- Uncertainty and anticipation in anxiety: an integrated neurobiological and psychological perspectiveDan W Grupe
Departments of Psychiatry and Psychology, Waisman Laboratory for Brain Imaging and Behavior, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1500 Highland Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 14:488-501. 2013b>Uncertainty about a possible future threat disrupts our ability to avoid it or to mitigate its negative impact and thus results in anxiety...
- Investigating the construct validity of intolerance of uncertainty and its unique relationship with worryKristin Buhr
Department of Psychology py 170, Concordia University, 7141 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, Que, Canada H4B 1R6
J Anxiety Disord 20:222-36. 2006Although recent findings suggest that intolerance of uncertainty is a fundamental construct involved in excessive worry, additional research is required to further establish the construct validity of intolerance of uncertainty and ..
- Risky business: the neuroeconomics of decision making under uncertaintyMichael L Platt
Center for Neuroeconomic Studies, Room B243F LSRC Building, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708 0999, USA
Nat Neurosci 11:398-403. 2008Many decisions involve uncertainty, or imperfect knowledge about how choices lead to outcomes. Colloquial notions of uncertainty, particularly when describing a decision as 'risky', often carry connotations of potential danger as well...
- Are patterns of density dependence in the Global Population Dynamics Database driven by uncertainty about population abundance?Jonas Knape
Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Ecol Lett 15:17-23. 2012..A major difficulty with assessing density dependence from time series is that uncertainty in population abundance estimates can cause strong bias in both tests and estimates of strength...
- The brain network of expectancy and uncertainty processingAndres Catena
Departamento de Psicologia Experimental, Universidad de Granada, Granada, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e40252. 2012..The uncertainty hypothesis we present here postulates that the SPN is linked to control-related areas in the prefrontal cortex ..
- The human relevant potency threshold: reducing uncertainty by human calibration of cumulative risk assessmentsC J Borgert
Applied Pharmacology and Toxicology, Inc, Gainesville, FL, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 62:313-28. 2012..The proposed approach recommends application of independent action for phthalates and other chemicals with potential anti-androgenic properties at current human exposure levels...
- The known unknowns: neural representation of second-order uncertainty, and ambiguityDominik R Bach
Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, University College London, London WC1N 3BG, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 31:4811-20. 2011Predictions provided by action-outcome probabilities entail a degree of (first-order) uncertainty. However, these probabilities themselves can be imprecise and embody second-order uncertainty...
- Doubly distributional population codes: simultaneous representation of uncertainty and multiplicityManeesh Sahani
W M Keck Foundation Center for Integrative Neurosciences, Univ of Calif, San Francisco, CA 94143 0732, USA
Neural Comput 15:2255-79. 2003Perceptual inference fundamentally involves uncertainty, arising from noise in sensation and the ill-posed nature of many perceptual problems...
- Impact of the P479L Variant in CPT1A on Infant Mortality in AlaskaDavid M Koeller; Fiscal Year: 2011..The uncertainty regarding the appropriate treatment for infants with the c...
- THE ETHICS OF POST-CONFLICT AND POST-DISASTER DNA IDENTIFICATIONSarah Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2013..cause of anger, despair, and hostility in post-conflict and post-disaster settings around the world is the uncertainty and lack of closure felt by families and communities whose loved ones disappeared without a trace...
- Effectiveness and Safety of Antithrombotic Strategies after Joint ReplacementElaine Hylek; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specialty consensus guidelines differ leading to wide variation in clinical practice. Further heightening the uncertainty, higher all-cause mortality has been reported with use of potent anticoagulants and a pooled analysis of VTE ..
- Expanded Testing Methods for Elements and Metals in Animal Diagnostic SpecimensTimothy Baszler; Fiscal Year: 2013..accuracy, precision, selectivity, 22 limit of detection, limit of quantification, linearity, range, measurement uncertainty and 23 ruggedness...
- A rational approach to liver toxicity monitoring in methotrexate usersGabriela Schmajuk; Fiscal Year: 2013..The uncertainty around the effects of frequent, untargeted toxicity monitoring represents a critical gap in knowledge that ..
- Robot-Assisted MRI-Guided Prostate BiopsyDan Stoianovici; Fiscal Year: 2010..These represent a daily problem for urologists managing the disease, create uncertainty and emotional stress for patients, and initiate a cascade of repeat testing and biopsies or overtreatment...
- Climate Change and Adverse Birth Outcomes: Assessing the Vulnerability of PregnanShao Lin; Fiscal Year: 2013..K-means cluster analysis and Monte Carlo methods will be used to estimate weather factor clusters and uncertainty, respectively...
- Synergistic Roles of Adiponectin & PPARgamma in Beta-Cell Survival/ProliferationWilliam L Holland; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although there remains uncertainty about the molecular mechanism of action of TZDs, their effects likely involve upregulation of the adipocyte-..
- Predictors of sleep-dependent Memory Consolidation in Obstructive Sleep ApneaIna E Djonlagic; Fiscal Year: 2013..This diagnostic uncertainty can lead to a delay in disease recognition and treatment...
- Gender Selectivity to Colon Cancer Chemoprevention by NSAIDSRAMESH K contact WALI; Fiscal Year: 2010..be linked to severe side-effects including ulcers, GI bleeding, hemorrhagic strokes etc, thereby causing some uncertainty in its use for preventing CRC for average risk use...
- Nanodiagnostics and Nanotherapeutics: Building Research Ethics and OversightSusan M Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2010..not yet adequately addressed key concerns including: difficulty predicting human response from animal data, uncertainty about how to assess risks, concerns about both participant and third-party safety both short-term and long-term,..
- Advanced Center for Latino and MH Systems ResearchMargarita Alegria; Fiscal Year: 2009..and test a mixed methods approach to helping clinicians in public health psychiatric settings decrease clinical uncertainty by more accurately diagnosing patients with diverse cultural backgrounds and improving the matching of clinical ..
- Patient-centered approaches to diagnosing coronary heart diseaseJOSEPH ABIODUN LADAPO; Fiscal Year: 2013..My interest in this area has grown out of my own personal experience with diagnostic uncertainty and also from my experience caring for patients evaluated for new, life-changing diseases...
- Individualized Treatment Strategies and Optimal Hematocrit Target for Complex DiaDENNIS JOSEPH COTTER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Currently, there appears to be uncertainty in the nephrology community as to the optimal target hematocrit and epoetin dosing protocols for various ..
- Risk of Cancer in Incidental Findings Identified on Ultrasound ImagingRebecca Smith-Bindman; Fiscal Year: 2013..associated with theses findings is considered very low (the are almost entirely false positive diagnoses), uncertainty regarding their importance and clinical significance, and lack of management guidelines, often generated ..
- Competetive Renewal of MSM: Multiscale Studies of Segmentation in VertebratesClaudio D Stern; Fiscal Year: 2013..In part this uncertainty is due to the spatiotemporal complexity of somitogenesis, the number of mechanisms involved and the relative ..
- Barcoded Magnetic Beads for Rapid Tests of MRSA and Respiratory Viral PanelsWINSTON Z HO; Fiscal Year: 2010..cause illness, hospitalizations and deaths in the US during the normally flu-free summer months, there is some uncertainty about what the upcoming flu season might bring...
- Cancer Mortality among Military Participants at U.S. Nuclear Weapons TestsJOHN DUNNING BOICE; Fiscal Year: 2013..New developments in statistical methodologies will be applied to account for the uncertainty in the estimated radiation doses...
- Developing Radiological Risk Communication Materials for Low-Literacy PopulationsSARAH B BASS; Fiscal Year: 2010..literacy level;N=50) using psycho-physiological measures to assess the types of messages most likely to reduce uncertainty, decisional conflict, and physiological stress/tension and increase the willingness to comply with ..
- FOUR-DIMENSIONAL MRI FOR IMAGE-GUIDED RADIATION THERAPY FOR PANCREATIC CANCERYanle Hu; Fiscal Year: 2013..With reduced uncertainty in tumor location, shape and motion, we will be able to provide more conformal treatments, reducing radiation ..
- Development and Validation of a Diagnostic Tool for Infant Head Injuries from FalSUSAN SHEPS contact MARGULIES; Fiscal Year: 2010..Some cases are easy to diagnose, but in cases of uncertainty accurate diagnosis of inflicted trauma is hindered by a lack of clarity regarding specific head injury ..
- DNA cross-linking by diepoxybutaneNatalia Y Tretyakova; Fiscal Year: 2013..activity of BD and afford new insights into the mechanisms of its mutagenicity and cytotoxicity, reducing the uncertainty in cancer risk assessment for human exposure to BD...
- Vitamin D Status in Relation to Incident Type 2 Diabetes and Cardiometabolic RiskAnastassios G Pittas; Fiscal Year: 2010..interactions with weight change, race, physical activity, calcium intake and kidney function) and there is also uncertainty about its potential physiologic mechanisms of action in humans in relation to t2DM/CMD, which limits the value ..
- Longitudinal Impact of Antihypertensive Polypharmacy on Geriatric SyndromesJoseph T Hanlon; Fiscal Year: 2012..However there is uncertainty regarding the generalizability of these beneficial findings to frail community dwelling older adults 85+ years ..
- Effects of Tobacco Exposure on Immune ResponsesKari C Nadeau; Fiscal Year: 2013..is surprisingly little understanding of tobacco smoke's specific impact on immune function and there is uncertainty about the mechanisms and full scope of its potential immunotoxicities...
- Genetics and biology of a viable mutant mouse with dystonic movementsKathleen J Sweadner; Fiscal Year: 2013..The project is high-risk because of uncertainty about what genetic and neurological features will be discovered, and high-reward because the mouse's ..
- Safety and Effectiveness Evaluations for DiabetesDONALD READ MILLER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Many new therapies for diabetes have emerged in recent years, but there continues to be concern and uncertainty regarding their safety and whether there are any incremental long term benefits...
- Biological Response to Air Quality Change in Beijing pre-, mid- and post-OlympicsLina Mu; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, in vitro and in vivo studies can only provide indirect evidence due to the inherent uncertainty in the approaches when extrapolating their results to humans...
- Real-Time Reagent-Free Noninvasive Diagnosis of TuberculosisPayam Nahid; Fiscal Year: 2013..Undiagnosed cases unwittingly continue to transmit disease, threatening public health. In the US, the uncertainty in diagnosis, and the absence of sensitive, specific, and rapid tests, results in significant increases in ..
- Mitochondrial DNA repair agents for acute lung injuryMark N Gillespie; Fiscal Year: 2012..of ALI/ARDS which tends to obfuscate design and interpretation of clinical trials, and partly to the scientific uncertainty about molecular targetsof anti-oxidant drug action...
- Trajectories of Kidney Dysfunction in Older Adults with Chronic Kidney DiseaseCHRISTOPHER BARRETT BOWLING; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, qualitative work has suggested that uncertainty about the expected course of CKD appears to be an important concern among both patients and providers...
- Environment, Psychosocial Stress and Self-regulatory DevelopmentSARA BURR JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Competent regulatory functioning allows individuals to control impulses, manage arousal and uncertainty, and delay short-term gratification in favor of longer-term goals...
- CFFONE: A Cell Phone Support Program for Adolescents with Cystic FibrosisKEVIN F DAWKINS; Fiscal Year: 2010..CF can cause a host of social-emotional stressors, including uncertainty about the future, poor self-image, low self-esteem, and frustration with delayed growth/maturation all of which ..
- Disorders of Sex Development: Platform for Basic and Translational ResearchERIC J VILAIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..For families, the birth of a child with a DSD, and the accompanying uncertainty about future psychological and sexual development, is believed to be extraordinarily stressful...
- Automatic Detection of Critical Dermoscopy Features for Basal Cell CarcinomaWilliam V Stoecker; Fiscal Year: 2010..designed to solve problems every healthcare consumer has encountered- too long a wait to get specialty care, uncertainty about the diagnosis when one does get the care, and too much overall expenditure in providing the care...
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for Psycho-Immune Dysregulation in CancerHerbert L Mathews; Fiscal Year: 2012..diagnosis and treatment cause psychosocial distress, disrupted social relationships, anxiety, poor sleep, uncertainty, and fear of cancer recurrence...
- Etiologic Role of HPV in Keratinocyte CarcinomasMargaret Karagas; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the skin) is unclear. Part of the uncertainty stems from the lack of large, population-based studies...
- Methods for modeling air pollution effects on exhaled biomarkersSANDRAH PROCTOR ECKEL; Fiscal Year: 2013..methods employed in epidemiologic studies with multiple flows FeNO use data inefficiently and ignore the uncertainty in the estimation of the parameters...
- USE AND OUTCOMES OF INTERMITTENT ANDROGEN DEPRIVATION THERAPY IN PROSTATE CANCERHuei Ting Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2013..Additionally, there is uncertainty about the optimal application of ADT - continuously, or intermittently with off- treatment periods if a patient&..
- Assessing the Cumulative Climate-Related Health Risks in the Eastern U.S.Yang Liu; Fiscal Year: 2011..to verify simulated current exposures, and analyze the impact of each analytical step to the overall uncertainty in risk estimates...
- PHASE-BASED CONTROL OF LOCOMOTION FOR HIGH-PERFORMANCE PROSTHESES AND ORTHOSESRobert D Gregg; Fiscal Year: 2013..independently control different joints and time periods of the gait cycle, limiting robustness to environmental uncertainty and requiring clinicians to spend significant amounts of time tuning each control model to the individual...
- Comparative and Cost-Effectiveness of Preventing HPV-Related DiseasesJANE JOOYUN KIM; Fiscal Year: 2013..the best available data;evaluate the health and economic consequences of alternative strategies;explore the uncertainty around their outcomes;explicitly quantify the tradeoffs associated with different approaches;and inform timely ..
- Auditory Processing of Stochastic FM in Relationship to Speech PerceptionSTANLEY E SHEFT; Fiscal Year: 2011..Incorporating stimulus uncertainty-a fundamental aspect of natural speech-all proposed psychoacoustic measures determine ability to discriminate ..
- Chemotherapy Near Death: Modifiable Factors and Outcomes in Ovarian CancerAlexi Wright; Fiscal Year: 2013..Rates are highest in ovarian cancer where patients may respond to multiple lines of chemotherapy, increasing uncertainty about when to stop treatment...
- Space-time Modeling for Linking Climate Change,Pollutant Exposure, Built EnvironmMontserrat Fuentes; Fiscal Year: 2013..stressors, climatic variables, and health outcomes, while taking into account different sources of uncertainty in models and data...
- High Performance Validation and Classification of Metagenomic Ribosomal-RNA SequeDaniel Frank; Fiscal Year: 2011..Calculation of position-specific measures of alignment uncertainty allows detection of poorly aligned sequences and alignment positions, which can be removed prior to downstream ..
- Penn Center for ELSI Research in Emerging Genetic Technologies in Health CareReed E Pyeritz; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, many genetic technologies increase uncertainty and confusion in the minds of patients, relatives, doctors, health insurers and others...
- Uncertainty and stimulant self-administrationPAUL R VEZINA; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- VARIABLE GENE DEFECTS AND PNEUMOCOCCAL SUSCEPTIBILITYLiise Anne Pirofski; Fiscal Year: 2010..The emergence of non-vaccine STs, uncertainty as to whether pneumococcal capsular polysaccharide (PPS) vaccines prevent pneumonia in adults, and the ..
- MR Angiography and Renography for Renovascular DiseaseVivian S Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..The inability to differentiate RVD from incidental RAS has also contributed to the widespread uncertainty treatment, and lack of a sensitive test for detecting individual kidney response has further limited clinical ..
- Comparative effectiveness of ECG screening in children with Attention Deficit HypLaurel K Leslie; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, decision analysis permits quantification of the impact of uncertainty accompanying the available data that may affect estimates of the tradeoffs between different screening and ..
- The Impact of Genetic Variability on Human Susceptibility to ChlorpyrifosALICE LANGFORD CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2013..current risk assessment efforts, which rely heavily on animal data and use population- driven paradigms with uncertainty factors used to account for poorly understood variability among individuals...
- Novel Influenza A Nanovaccines for Broad Cross ProtectionBaozhong Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..matched viruses, major limitations of current vaccines are the need to produce new vaccines every season, the uncertainty in choice of the correct strains, and the inability to prevent a new influenza pandemic...
- Origin of CD5+ B cell Lymphoma/Leukemia in MiceKyoko Hayakawa; Fiscal Year: 2013..Precise definition of CLL has been difficult due to lack of identification of key cytogenetic abnormalities and uncertainty over its cellular origins and pathogenesis...
- 4D Robust Optimization in Intensity-Modulated Proton TherapyWei Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Sources of uncertainty include tumor shrinkage, weight loss, variation in patient setup, respiratory motion, uncertainties in CT ..
- Translational Research Cancer Centers Consortium Annual MeetingGregory B Lesinski; Fiscal Year: 2012..This is especially important due to the uncertainty of institutional and corporate donations in the current financial climate...
- Polyploidy, aneuploidy and genome stabilityDAVID S PELLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Is it beneficial, detrimental, or a completely neutral passenger phenomenon during tumor development? The uncertainty about the contribution of aneuploidy to tumorigenesis is largely fueled by the paucity of mechanisms explaining ..
- A Probabilistic Pose Estimation Algorithm for 3D Motion Capture DataW Scott Selbie; Fiscal Year: 2011..The current pose estimation algorithms were not designed to incorporate models of soft tissue artifact. Uncertainty in data (e.g...
- Activation and Signaling Mechanism of the RET Tyrosine Kinase ReceptorJENNIFER MARIE CHOW; Fiscal Year: 2013..These questions include addressing the difficult and longstanding uncertainty concerning whether GF receptors function by ligand-induced receptor dimerization, or alternatively by causing a ..
- New Avenues in GPIHBP1 ResearchAnne Beigneux; Fiscal Year: 2012..These findings left me with uncertainty regarding whether the in vitro assays of GPIHBP1 were truly reliable indicators of GPIHBP1 function in vivo...
- Climate change and heat-related morbidity among vulnerable populations in AtlantaStefanie Ebelt Sarnat; Fiscal Year: 2013..regarding the current and future health impacts of heat, including assessment of sensitive subpopulations and uncertainty quantification in health impact projections...
- Stereotyping in medical student decision-making: presence, origins and solutionsRobert L Williams; Fiscal Year: 2013..and determinants of racial and gender biases in medical decision-making under conditions of scientific uncertainty of senior medical students...
- LYMPHOCYTE-MEDIATED IMMUNITY TO ANAPLASMA MARGINALEReginald Valdez; Fiscal Year: 1999..There was some uncertainty as to the extent of the problem of acute anaplasmosis infection in cattle and how the research findings might ..
- IN VITRO INVESTIGATION OF SLIDING MECHANICSRobert Kusy; Fiscal Year: 2002..Unfortunately the uncertainty of frictional forces complicates the practitioner's best efforts to move teeth...
- Risk of Cancer with Incidental Findings Identified on Ultrasound ImagingRebecca Smith Bindman; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although the risk of pathology associated with these lesions is considered low, uncertainty regarding their clinical significance and lack of guidelines for their management leads to extensive further ..
- CHILD AND FAMILY FUNCTIONING AFTER PEDIATRIC HEAD TRAUMAJoAnne Youngblut; Fiscal Year: 2001..a child suffers an accidental injury, families are suddenly faced with fears about the child's survival and uncertainty about the child's future...
- Implementation of a Mammography Reminder System in a Healthcare NetworkRoger Luckmann; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, MRCS adoption faces many barriers including uncertainty about the roles of primary care practices, managed care organizations, and integrated healthcare networks (IHN),..
- Optimizing HIV Care in Less Developed CountriesKENNETH ALAN FREEDBERG; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, substantial uncertainty persists regarding optimal treatment strategies, the cost of second- and third-line antiretroviral treatment, ..
- Aging, Social Interdependence and Wisdom in the U.S. and JapanRichard E Nisbett; Fiscal Year: 2010..dialectic reasoning, recognition of uncertainty, and context-dependent learning...
- CFFONE: A Cell Phone Support Program for Teens with Cystic FibrosisKevin Dawkins; Fiscal Year: 2007..CF can cause a host of social-emotional stressors, including uncertainty about the future, poor self-image, low self-esteem, and frustration with delayed growth/maturation all of which ..
- Compensating for Uncertainty Biases in Health Risk JudgmentsSCOTT D FERSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..The first issue is that there is usually uncertainty about the data arising from sampling error due to limited sample sizes, random measurement error, and a variety ..
- Stem Cells as Delivery Vehicles and Imaging Probes for Glioma Gene TherapySyed Ali; Fiscal Year: 2009..therapy (followed by adjuvant chemotherapy), which form the standard practice, very often fail because of uncertainty in delineating the margin of the tumor...
- Seeing through the EarsAlvaro Pascual Leone; Fiscal Year: 2006..taking into account the major constraints imposed by both the human auditory system and the frequency-time uncertainty relation (The vOICe, U.S. Patent 5,097,326)...
- Mental Health Services in NY after WTC DisasterJoseph Boscarino; Fiscal Year: 2004..Adding to the anxiety and uncertainty in the NYC is the economic uncertainty created by this disaster and the ongoing threat of future terrorism...
- Remittances and Risk: Evidence from Mexican MigrantsCatalina Amuedo Dorantes; Fiscal Year: 2005..rich cross-sectional dataset to study remittances to Mexico from the United States and to explore how risk and uncertainty affect the volume of remittances sent by individual workers to their families...
- Timely End-of-Life Communication to Parents of Children with Brain TumorsVERNA LEE FERGUSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..care and end of life care (PC/EOL) decisions for these children, and they suffer from emotional distress, uncertainty about available options, decisional regret, false hope that focuses on cure rather than palliation, and ..
- Uncertainty and Watchful Waiting in Chronic Hepatitis CDonald Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will also examine the associations of demographic variables, illness markers, and illness uncertainty with these trajectories. The specific aims are to: 1) identify potentially distinct classes of trajectories (e...
- PROSTATE CANCER--FAMILY CARE FOR PATIENTS AND SPOUSESLaurel Northouse; Fiscal Year: 2005..outcomes (better family communication, higher self-efficacy, more problem-focused coping, and less threat, uncertainty, and hopelessness) and improve the distal clinical outcome, better quality of life, in a culturally and ..
- Impact of Health IT on Primary Care Work-flow and Financial MeasuresNEIL FLEMING; Fiscal Year: 2009..outcome measures, contributing knowledge about the frequently cited perceived barriers to AEHR adoption of uncertainty regarding impact on productivity and financial performance during implementation, and uncertain financial and ..