Genomes and Genes
Summary: A class of statistical methods applicable to a large set of probability distributions used to test for correlation, location, independence, etc. In most nonparametric statistical tests, the original scores or observations are replaced by another variable containing less information. An important class of nonparametric tests employs the ordinal properties of the data. Another class of tests uses information about whether an observation is above or below some fixed value such as the median, and a third class is based on the frequency of the occurrence of runs in the data. (From McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 4th ed, p1284; Corsini, Concise Encyclopedia of Psychology, 1987, p764-5)
Publications272 found, 100 shown here
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy with carbon dioxide pneumoperitoneum is safe even for high-risk patientsA M Koivusalo
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Helsinki University, Kasarmikatu 11 13, 00100, Helsinki, Finland
Surg Endosc 22:61-7. 2008..The authors assessed CO(2)PP-related adverse effects by comparing ASA 3 and 4 patients who underwent laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC) with or without CO(2)PP...
- Elevated immune response in the brain of autistic patientsXiaohong Li
Department of Neurochemistry, NY State Institute for Basic Research in Developmental Disabilities, NY 10314, New York, USA
J Neuroimmunol 207:111-6. 2009..However the Th2 cytokines (IL-4, IL-5 and IL-10) showed no significant difference. The Th1/Th2 ratio was also significantly increased in ASD patients...
- Health-related quality of life and clinical function after primary surgery for oral cancerS N Rogers
Regional Maxillofacial Unit, University Hospital Aintree, Aintree Trust, Liverpool, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:11-8. 2002..The differential in respect of baseline function was present at all three time points in each patient group. This suggests that functional deficits at presentation persist following treatment...
- Age-related differences in laterally directed compensatory stepping behaviorB E Maki
Centre for Studies in Aging, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 55:M270-7. 2000..This study examined whether there are age-related differences in the stepping behavior used to recover from lateral loss of balance...
- Acute axonal damage in multiple sclerosis is most extensive in early disease stages and decreases over timeTanja Kuhlmann
Department of Neuropathology, Charite, Humboldt Universitat, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Augustenburger Platz 1, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
Brain 125:2202-12. 2002..Our results indicate that a putative axon-protective treatment should start as early as possible and include strategies preventing T cell/macrophage-mediated axon destruction and leading to remyelination of axons...
- Genomic-assisted prediction of genetic value with semiparametric proceduresDaniel Gianola
Department of Animal Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Genetics 173:1761-76. 2006..An example is presented, illustrating the potential of the methodology. Implementations can be carried out after modification of standard software developed by animal breeders for likelihood-based or Bayesian analysis...
- Comparison of mixed-model approaches for association mappingBenjamin Stich
Institute for Plant Breeding, Seed Science, and Poulation Genetics, University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany
Genetics 178:1745-54. 2008....
- The rank-order consistency of personality traits from childhood to old age: a quantitative review of longitudinal studiesB W Roberts
Department of Psychology, University of Tulsa, USA
Psychol Bull 126:3-25. 2000..7 years. Analysis of moderators of consistency showed that the longitudinal time interval had a negative relation to trait consistency and that temperament dimensions were less consistent than adult personality traits...
- Impact of hot temperatures on death in London: a time series approachS Hajat
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 56:367-72. 2002..This study investigated the relation between heat and mortality in London to determine the temperature threshold at which death rates increase and to quantify the effect of extreme temperatures on mortality...
- Serum levels of immunoglobulins (IgG, IgA, IgM) in a general adult population and their relationship with alcohol consumption, smoking and common metabolic abnormalitiesA Gonzalez-Quintela
Department of Internal Medicine, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Santiago, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Clin Exp Immunol 151:42-50. 2008..It is concluded that sex, age, alcohol consumption, smoking and common metabolic abnormalities should be taken into account when interpreting serum levels of IgA, IgG and IgM...
- Clinical features and short-term outcomes of 144 patients with SARS in the greater Toronto areaChristopher M Booth
University of Toronto, Mount Sinai Hospital, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 289:2801-9. 2003..Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is an emerging infectious disease that first manifested in humans in China in November 2002 and has subsequently spread worldwide...
- Combined analysis of hereditary prostate cancer linkage to 1q24-25: results from 772 hereditary prostate cancer families from the International Consortium for Prostate Cancer GeneticsJ Xu
Program in Human Genetics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 21201, USA
Am J Hum Genet 66:945-57. 2000....
- Statistics review 6: Nonparametric methodsElise Whitley
University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Crit Care 6:509-13. 2002..The present review introduces nonparametric methods. Three of the more common nonparametric methods are described in detail, and the advantages and disadvantages of nonparametric versus parametric methods in general are discussed...
- Antibody is critical for the clearance of murine norovirus infectionKAREN A CHACHU
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Virol 82:6610-7. 2008..Together, these data demonstrate that antibody plays an important role in the clearance of MNV and that immunoglobulin G anti-norovirus antibody can play an important role in clearing mucosal infection...
- Oral Impacts on Daily Performance in Norwegian adults: validity, reliability and prevalence estimatesA N Astrøm
Centre for International Health, Bergen, Norway
Eur J Oral Sci 113:289-96. 2005..Prevalence estimates were low, suggesting that the current oral health status has little impact on the daily performance of the Norwegian adult population...
- SOD1 mutations in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Results from a multicenter Italian studyStefania Battistini
Dept of Neuroscience, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
J Neurol 252:782-8. 2005..No SOD1 gene mutations have been identified in SALS cases. Within FALS cases, The most frequent mutation was the G41S identified in four FALS...
- Hypothesis testing in semiparametric additive mixed modelsDaowen Zhang
Department of Statistics, North Carolina State University, USA
Biostatistics 4:57-74. 2003..The proposed tests are applied to data from an epidemiological study and a clinical trial and their performance is evaluated through simulations...
- Estimation of the general threshold limit values for dustK Ulm
Institut für Medizinische Statistik und Epidemiologie, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ismaninger Strasse 22, 81675 Munich, Germany
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 76:233-40. 2003..Additionally, permutation tests are used to prove the trend within the isotonic framework. The results from the additive isotonic model confirm previous assessments of the general threshold limit value...
- Chronic pelvic pain as a somatoform disorderU Ehlert
Center of Psychobiological and Psychosomatic Research, University of Trier, Germany
Psychother Psychosom 68:87-94. 1999....
- Base excess and lactate as prognostic indicators for patients admitted to intensive careI Smith
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, St George's Hospital, London, UK
Intensive Care Med 27:74-83. 2001..These variables could be utilized to identify patients who have a high risk for mortality and thus who should be admitted to the intensive care unit...
- A survey of affected-sibship statistics for nonparametric linkage analysisH Sengul
Department of Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh, 130 DeSoto Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Am J Hum Genet 69:179-90. 2001..For the most part, the same statistics performed well for all sibship sizes. We also used our results to give some suggestions regarding how to weight sibships of different sizes, in forming an overall statistic...
- Transected neurites, apoptotic neurons, and reduced inflammation in cortical multiple sclerosis lesionsJ W Peterson
Neurosciences Graduate Studies Program, Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
Ann Neurol 50:389-400. 2001..These data support the hypothesis that demyelination, axonal transection, dendritic transection, and apoptotic loss of neurons in the cerebral cortex contribute to neurological dysfunction in MS patients...
- Ontogeny and phylogeny: molecular signatures of selection, constraint, and temporal pleiotropy in the development of DrosophilaCarlo G Artieri
Department of Biology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
BMC Biol 7:42. 2009....
- Copeptin: a novel, independent prognostic marker in patients with ischemic strokeMira Katan
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Ann Neurol 66:799-808. 2009..Vasopressin is a stress hormone. Its production rate is mirrored in circulating levels of copeptin, a fragment of provasopressin. We evaluated the prognostic value of copeptin in acute stroke patients...
- Preliminary validation of the Brazilian version of the Child Perceptions Questionnaire 8-10M T Martins
Department of Paediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Eur J Paediatr Dent 10:135-40. 2009..The aim of the study was to perform a preliminary validation of the Brazilian version of the Child Perceptions Questionnaire 8-10 (CPQ 8-10)...
- Inferring genetic values for quantitative traits non-parametricallyDaniel Gianola
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Genet Res (Camb) 90:525-40. 2008..The second example tackles a non-linear genetic system with two loci, and the predictive ability of several models is evaluated...
- Refinement of breast cancer classification by molecular characterization of histological special typesB Weigelt
Division of Experimental Therapy, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Pathol 216:141-50. 2008....
- Dynamic modularity in protein interaction networks predicts breast cancer outcomeIan W Taylor
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X5, Canada
Nat Biotechnol 27:199-204. 2009..Analysis of two breast cancer patient cohorts revealed that altered modularity of the human interactome may be useful as an indicator of breast cancer prognosis...
- Nonparametric methods for incorporating genomic information into genetic evaluations: an application to mortality in broilersOscar González-Recio
Departamento de Produccion Animal, E T S I Agrónomos Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Genetics 178:2305-13. 2008..Predictive ability, assessed by cross-validation, indicated advantages of the RKHS approach, where accuracy was increased from 25 to 150%, relative to other methods...
- Peribulbar versus general anesthesia for horizontal strabismus surgeryKeila Monteiro de Carvalho
Departamento de Oftalmologia Otorrinolaringologia, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brasil
Arq Bras Oftalmol 71:352-6. 2008..To compare the results of strabismus surgery under peribulbar and general anesthesia in cases of small and moderate angle of horizontal strabismus...
- Low density parasitaemia, red blood cell polymorphisms and Plasmodium falciparum specific immune responses in a low endemic area in northern TanzaniaSeif Shekalaghe
Department of Medical Microbiology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
BMC Infect Dis 9:69. 2009..falciparum parasite carriage and antibody responses to the asexual stage antigens, G6PD deficiency and alpha+-thalassaemia in 464 subjects from a low endemic area in northern Tanzania...
- A randomized clinical trial of oral versus intramuscular delivery of steroids in acute exudative pharyngitisEduardo G Marvez-Valls
Department of Medicine, Division of Emergency Medicine, Louisiana State University, New Orleans, LA, USA
Acad Emerg Med 9:9-14. 2002..Previous study has shown that the use of intramuscular (IM) steroid leads to improved symptoms in patients with group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus (GABHS)...
- Bipolar versus monopolar transurethral resection of prostate: randomized controlled studyHarbans Singh
Department of Urology, Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, Nidiad, Gujarat, India 387 001
J Endourol 19:333-8. 2005..The purpose of this study was to assess the efficacy and safety of this new technique and to compare the results with those of conventional monopolar TURP...
- A randomized controlled trial of pegylated interferon alpha-2a (40 KD) or interferon alpha-2a plus ribavirin and amantadine vs interferon alpha-2a and ribavirin in treatment-naïve patients with chronic hepatitis CA Mangia
Division of Gastroenterology, Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza Hospital, IRCCS, 71013 San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
J Viral Hepat 12:292-9. 2005..In treatment-naive patients with chronic hepatitis C, triple therapy with PEG-IFN alpha-2a, RBV and AMA produces higher SVR than dual or triple therapy with conventional IFN alpha-2a...
- Efficacy of mesalazine in the treatment of symptomatic diverticular diseaseFrancesco Di Mario
Chair of Gastroenterology, University of Parma, Parma, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 50:581-6. 2005..001). Mesalazine is as effective as rifaximin (higher dosage schedule) for diminishing some symptoms, but it appears to be better than rifaximin for improving the global score in those patients...
- Transgastric instrumentation and bacterial contamination of the peritoneal cavityVimal K Narula
Division of General Surgery, The Ohio State University School of Medicine and Public Health, 410 West 10th Avenue, Ohio, Columbus, 43210 1228, USA
Surg Endosc 22:605-11. 2008..We report the bacterial load and contamination of the peritoneal cavity in patients requiring a gastrotomy Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (LSRYGB)...
- Predictors of microvascular invasion in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma who are candidates for orthotopic liver transplantationNestor F Esnaola
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 6:224-32; discussion 232. 2002..3; 95% CI, 2.0 to 19.9). Tumor size and grade are strong predictors of microvascular invasion. A tumor biopsy with pathologic grading at the time of pretransplantation ablative therapy could improve selection of patients with HCC for OLT...
- Is the cough-stress test necessary when placing the tension-free vaginal tape?Miles Murphy
Health Sciences Center, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Obstet Gynecol 105:319-24. 2005..To estimate whether the mode of anesthesia (and the resultant ability or inability to perform the cough-stress test) used during the tension-free vaginal tape (TVT) procedure affects postoperative continence...
- Implications of antibodies to heat-shock proteins in ischemic heart diseaseVicky Y Hoymans
Department of Cardiology, Antwerp University, Belgium
Int J Cardiol 123:277-82. 2008..We have here evaluated the hypothesis that C. pneumoniae contributes to atherosclerotic disease progression via anti-HSP antibodies...
- Socioeconomic aspects of total hip arthroplasty. A one-year survey in a Belgian university hospitalThierry Scheerlinck
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Trauma, Brussels, Belgium
Acta Orthop Belg 70:525-33. 2004..Surgical techniques and faster rehabilitation programs, reducing needs for rehabilitation units and allowing earlier return to independence, are probably the best ways to control the cost of total hip arthroplasty in Belgium...
- Comparison of cefotaxime and ofloxacin in treatment of spontaneous bacterial peritonitisBengur Taskiran
3rd Clinics of Internal Medicine, Izmir Ataturk Teaching and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Turk J Gastroenterol 15:34-8. 2004..To evaluate the efficacy of ofloxacin in this infection, we compared a combined therapy with intravenous and oral ofloxacin to intravenous cefotaxime...
- Dexmedetomidine infusion without loading dose in surgical patients requiring mechanical ventilation: haemodynamic effects and efficacyM Ickeringill
Prince of Wales Hospital, Intensive Care Unit, Randwick, New South Wales
Anaesth Intensive Care 32:741-5. 2004..Omitting the loading dose avoided undesirable haemodynamic effects without compromising sedation and analgesia...
- The impact of anesthetic modality on the outcome of carotid endarterectomyKen Watts
Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine and The Methodist Hospital, Houston VAMC 2002 Holcomb Blvd 112, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Surg 188:741-7. 2004..Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) reduces the risk of stroke in patients with high-grade carotid artery stenosis. This study evaluates the clinical outcome of CEA performed under local anesthesia (LA) versus general anesthesia (GA)...
- Transcatheter transplantation of autologous skeletal myoblasts in postinfarction patients with severe left ventricular dysfunctionHuseyin Ince
Division of Cardiology Angiology and Department of Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Rostock, Germany
J Endovasc Ther 11:695-704. 2004..To report a case-controlled safety and feasibility study of transcatheter transplantation of autologous skeletal myoblasts as a stand-alone procedure in patients with ischemic heart failure...
- Elevated cardiac troponin T in hemodialysis patients receiving more intravenous iron sucroseGalip Guz
Department of Nephrology, Gazi University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Ren Fail 26:663-72. 2004..01). Intravenous iron treatment and high ferritin concentration are related to high cTnT level, which has previously been incriminated as a survival marker in hemodialysis patients...
- Lipid peroxidation in bariatric candidates with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) -- preliminary findingsClaudia P M S Oliveira
Department of Gastroenterology, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Obes Surg 15:502-5. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate the role of liver oxidative stress in NAFLD affecting morbidly obese patients...
- Improvement in Cheyne-Stokes respiration following cardiac resynchronisation therapyJ Y Gabor
Dept of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Canada
Eur Respir J 26:95-100. 2005..In conclusion, cardiac resynchronisation therapy is associated with a reduction in Cheyne-Stokes respiration, which may contribute to improved clinical outcome in patients treated with cardiac resynchronisation therapy...
- Safety and efficacy of the AngioJet in patients with acute myocardial infarction: results from the Florence Appraisal Study of Rheolytic Thrombectomy (FAST)Massimo Margheri
Heart and Vessel Department, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Careggi, Florence, Italy
J Invasive Cardiol 18:481-6. 2006..To assess the safety and efficacy of the AngioJet coronary device, given the uncertain risk-benefit balance of rheolytic thrombectomy in patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI)...
- Time course analysis of the effects of botulinum toxin type a on elbow spasticity based on biomechanic and electromyographic parametersHsin Min Lee
Department of Physical Therapy, I Shou University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:692-9. 2008..To quantify changes of elbow spasticity over time after botulinum toxin type A (BTX-A) injection in the upper extremity of stroke patients...
- Plasma endothelin levels and outcome in patients undergoing repair of ruptured infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysmD J Adam
Vascular Surgery Unit, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 33:1242-6. 2001..CONCLUSION: Contrary to our original hypothesis, these novel data demonstrate that patients with ruptured AAA in whom fatal postoperative organ failure develops have significantly lower perioperative endothelin levels than survivors...
- Risk factors for wound infection after off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: should bilateral internal thoracic arteries be harvested in patients with diabetes?Jota Nakano
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Kokura Memorial Hospital, Kitakyusyu City, Fukuoka, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:540-5. 2008..Risk factors for wound infection after off-pump bypass grafting and the validity of using bilateral internal thoracic arteries harvested in a skeletonized fashion remain unclear, especially in patients with diabetes...
- Effectiveness of 3-in-1 continuous femoral block of differing concentrations compared to patient controlled intravenous morphine for post total knee arthroplasty analgesia and knee rehabilitationE Seet
Singapore Health Services Pt Ltd, Singapore General Hospital, National Cancer Centre and Dover Park Hospice, Singapore
Anaesth Intensive Care 34:25-30. 2006..028) and group B (P = 0.002) compared to group C. We conclude that a continuous 3-in-1 femoral nerve block with ropivacaine 0.15% or 0.2% for elective unilateral TKA has an opioid-sparing effect...
- Preoperative treatment of anemic women with epoetin betaB Larson
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Nephrology, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, and Roche AB, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 80:559-62. 2001....
- Prognostic value of acute physiology and chronic health evaluation II and organ system failure in patients with acute renal failure requiring dialysisI Kuan Wang
Division of Nephrology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital at Chiayi, Taiwan
Ren Fail 27:663-9. 2005..The aim of this study is to evaluate prospectively the Acute Physiology and Chronic Health Evaluation (APACHE II) and organ system failure (OSF) models, evaluated prior to dialysis, in predicting hospital mortality...
- Effect of interferon-alpha induction therapy on genotype 2b/3a and low viral load hepatitis C virus infection. A randomized multicentre studyK Bjøro
Medical Dept of National Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Scand J Gastroenterol 37:344-9. 2002..We have studied the effect of interferon induction therapy in patients infected with HCV genotype 2b/3a, low viral load and no cirrhosis...
- An association between inflammatory state and left ventricular hypertrophy in hemodialysis patientsYasemin Erten
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Nephrology, Gazi Medical School, 32 Sokak 3 8 Bahcelievler, Ankara, Turkey
Ren Fail 27:581-9. 2005..7 to 17.8 +/- 9.5 pg/mL, p=0.001 and from 8.3 +/- 3.0 to 9.9 +/- 3.5 pg/mL p=0.004, respectively). As a conclusion, in addition to BP, proinflammatory cytokines, TNF-alpha in particular, seem to be associated with LVH in ESRD patients...
- Intravenous iron supplementation for the treatment of anaemia in pre-dialyzed chronic renal failure patientsGabriel Mircescu
Dr Carol Davila Teaching Hospital of Nephrology, 4 Calea GriviTei, Sector 1, 010731, Bucharest, Romania
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:120-4. 2006..This study attempted to evaluate the effects of intravenous iron in anaemic pre-dialyzed patients...
- The effects of eradication of Helicobacter pylori on the recurrence of duodenal ulcers in patients with cirrhosisGin Ho Lo
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University, Taiwan
Gastrointest Endosc 62:350-6. 2005..The role of Helicobacter pylori in patients with cirrhosis and increased prevalence of peptic ulcers is still poorly defined. The objective is to evaluate the effect of H pylori eradication on ulcer recurrence in patients with cirrhosis...
- Hemodynamically "stable" patients with peritonitis after penetrating abdominal trauma: identifying those who are bleedingCarlos V R Brown
Department of Surgery, Division of Trauma and Critical Care, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles County University of Southern California Medical Center, 1200 N State Street, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Arch Surg 140:767-72. 2005..Despite initial presentation, hemodynamically stable patients with penetrating abdominal trauma may have significant ongoing hemorrhage and major intra-abdominal injuries requiring emergent surgical intervention...
- Lack of an association between serum level of transforming growth factor beta -1 and stomach cancer risk in the JACC studyHiroshi Yatsuya
Department of Public Health Health Information Dynamics, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Aichi 466 8550, Japan
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 6:170-6. 2005..In conclusion, serum TGFbeta1 levels were not associated with increased risks of subsequent stomach cancer.gene A52C polymorphism related to the metabolism of long-chain fatty acids and oxidized LDL in the etiology of colorectal cancer...
- Role of symptoms and lung function in determining asthma control in smokers with asthmaR Chaudhuri
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Allergy 63:132-5. 2008..Cigarette smoking in asthma increases the severity and accelerates the decline in lung function. The relative role of symptoms and lung function in determining asthma control in smokers with asthma is not known...
- Optimizing fluoroquinolone utilization in a public hospital: a prospective study of educational interventionK Lacombe
Infectious and Tropical Diseases Department, Saint Antoine Hospital AP HP, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75012 Paris, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:6-11. 2005..11.5%, P<0.05) and better consideration of indications (18.9% vs. 3.8%; P<0.05). Future educational interventions will cover other indications and will take into account costs and local antimicrobial susceptibility patterns...
- Assessment of preemptive treatment to prevent severe candidiasis in critically ill surgical patientsRenaud Piarroux
Department of Parasitology Mycology, University Hospital, Besancon, France
Crit Care Med 32:2443-9. 2004..To assess the efficacy of a preemptive antifungal therapy in preventing proven candidiasis in critically ill surgical patients...
- Long-term outcome of antireflux surgery in patients with Barrett's esophagusW L Hofstetter
Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic and Foregut Surgery, University of Southern California, 1510 San Pablo St, Los Angeles, CA 90033-4612, USA
Ann Surg 234:532-8; discussion 538-9. 2001..Importantly, dysplasia regressed in nearly half of the patients in whom it was present before surgery, intestinal metaplasia disappeared in 14% of patients, and high-grade dysplasia and adenocarcinoma were prevented in all...
- Management of recurrent inguinal hernias: a prospective study of 163 casesC Barrat
Université Paris XIII CHU Jean Verdier, Service de Chirurgie Digestive Pr G Champault, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris, Av du 14 Juillet, 93140, Bondy, France
Hernia 7:125-9. 2003..If the recurrence follows a totally extraperitoneal or a Stoppa procedure, then the Lichtenstein intervention is recommended. A recurrence after a Lichtenstein procedure should be treated by a totally extraperitoneal approach...
- Comparison of the responsiveness of different disease-specific health status measures in patients with asthmaToru Oga
Respiratory Division, Kyoto Katsura Hospital, 17 Yamadahirao, Nishikyo ku, Kyoto 615 8256, Japan
Chest 122:1228-33. 2002..However, comparisons of responsiveness between various disease-specific measures have rarely been performed in asthma studies...
- Identification of acutely ischemic myocardium using ultrasonic strain measurements. A clinical study in patients undergoing coronary angioplastyTomasz Kukulski
Department of Cardiology, Gasthuisberg Hospital, Leuven, Belgium
J Am Coll Cardiol 41:810-9. 2003..The goal of this study was to investigate whether the changes in myocardial deformation measured with ultrasonic strain could accurately identify acutely ischemic myocardium during coronary angioplasty...
- Baseline lipid values partly determine the response to high-dose simvastatin in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia. The examination of probands and relatives in Statin studies with familial hypercholesterolemia (ExPRESS FH)Pernette R W de Sauvage Nolting
Department of Vascular Medicine G1 114, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Atherosclerosis 164:347-54. 2002..In conclusion, FH patients with the worst lipoprotein profile showed the greatest benefit from high-dose simvastatin treatment, since changes in these parameters were partly determined by baseline lipid levels...
- Evaluation of the impact of a low back pain educational intervention on physicians' practice patterns and patients' outcomesV Jane Derebery
Concentra Health Services, Inc, 5080 Spectrum Drive, Suite 400, West Tower, Addison, TX 75001, USA
J Occup Environ Med 44:977-84. 2002..These results provide early indication for the effectiveness of this type of educational intervention strategy...
- Delayed optic nerve decompression for indirect optic nerve injuryA Thakar
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head Neck Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi
Laryngoscope 113:112-9. 2003..To test the efficacy of delayed optic nerve decompression in traumatic optic nerve injury...
- The value of laparoscopic liver surgery for solid benign hepatic tumorsRoberto Troisi
Dept of General Surgery, Hepato Biliary and Liver Transplantation Service, Ghent University Hospital Medical School, De Pintelaan 185, 2K12 IC, Ghent, 9000, Belgium
Surg Endosc 22:38-44. 2008..Laparoscopic liver resection (LLR) has gained wide acceptance for various liver resection procedures, mainly for benign diseases. However, only small series have been reported from a few selected centers...
- Temporary fibrin glue occlusion of the main pancreatic duct in the prevention of intra-abdominal complications after pancreatic resection: prospective randomized trialBertrand Suc
Digestive Surgery Unit at Hôpital Rangueuil, Toulouse, France
Ann Surg 237:57-65. 2003..To determine whether temporary occlusion of the main pancreatic duct with human fibrin glue decreases the incidence of intra-abdominal complications after pancreatoduodenectomy (PD) or distal pancreatectomy (DP)...
- Efficacy of infliximab in refractory ankylosing spondylitis: results of a six-month open-label studyM Breban
Institut de Rhumatologie, Hopital Cochin, Universite Rene Descartes, Paris, France
Rheumatology (Oxford) 41:1280-5. 2002..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of a loading regimen of the anti-tumour necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) antibody infliximab in predominantly axial severe ankylosing spondylitis (AS)...
- Mini-laparoscopy-assisted placement of Tenckhoff catheters: an improved technique to facilitate peritoneal dialysisCharlotte A Batey
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of Kentucky, 800 Rose Street, Lexington, KY 40536 0084, USA
J Endourol 16:681-4. 2002....
- Masticatory function and patient satisfaction with implant-supported mandibular overdentures: a prospective 5-year studyMerete Bakke
School of Dentistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Prosthodont 15:575-81. 2002..The aim of this study was to assess the outcome of treatment with implant-supported mandibular overdentures in terms of biting and chewing, in entirely satisfied and not fully satisfied patients...
- Morphine for the relief of breathlessness in patients with chronic heart failure--a pilot studyM J Johnson
West of Scotland Rotation, Glasgow, UK
Eur J Heart Fail 4:753-6. 2002..Morphine has long been used to relieve symptoms in acute failure, but there is little evidence about this potentially useful palliative therapy in CHF...
- Resistance to thienopyridines: clinical detection of coronary stent thrombosis by monitoring of vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein phosphorylationPaul Barragan
Department of Cardiology, Beauregard Private Hospital Center, Marseille, France
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 59:295-302. 2003..We found a significant difference between group 3 (63.28% +/- 9.56%) and group 4 (39.80% +/- 10.9%; P < 0.0001). VASP phosphorylation analysis may be useful for the detection of coronary SAT...
- Liver p53 expression in patients with HCV-related chronic hepatitisC Loguercio
Department of Gastroenterology and Institute of Pathology and Oncology, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
J Viral Hepat 10:266-70. 2003..Data indicate that p53 over-expression can occur even in initial stages of HCV-related liver disease...
- The importance of accurate dosage of topical agents: a method of estimating involved area and application to calcipotriol treatment failuresJ E Osborne
The Department of Dermatology, Leicester Royal Infirmary, UK
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 16:367-73. 2002..0001). The frequency distribution of the PASI reduction defined responsive (70% of patients) and poorly responsive groups (30%), with mean PASI reduction of 60% and 17%, respectively...
- Treatment of deep vein thrombosis with oral anticoagulants in patients with malignancy: prospective cohort studyNiksa Vucić
Department of Medicine, Holy Ghost General Hospital, Sveti Duh 64, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Croat Med J 43:296-300. 2002..To assess the outcome of deep vein thrombosis in patients with malignancy after 6 months of oral anticoagulant therapy, and to compare it with international normalized ratio (INR)...
- Covered transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stents maintain lower portal pressure and require fewer reinterventions than uncovered stentsJ Ockenga
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Scand J Gastroenterol 39:994-9. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the patency, functional and haemodynamic results of expanded-polytetrafluoroethylene (ePTFE)-covered transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts in patients with liver cirrhosis...
- Anorectal physiology in relation to clinical subgroups of patients with severe constipationU Karlbom
Department of Surgical Sciences, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Colorectal Dis 6:343-9. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate anorectal physiology in relation to clinically defined subgroups of patients with idiopathic constipation and to analyse relationships between anorectal physiology and rectal evacuation...
- Prospective evaluation of the epidemiology, microbiology, and outcome of bloodstream infections in adult surgical cancer patientsE Velasco
Rua General Glicério 486 1002, 22245 120 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:596-602. 2004..Medical and infection control measures addressing certain variables amenable to intervention might reduce the negative impact of postoperative infectious morbidity and mortality of BSIs in adult surgical cancer patients...
- Comparative study of the effect of pacing mode on the interaction of the right and left ventriclesNoboru Mizutani
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Aichi Medical University School of Medicine, 21 Karimata, Yazako, Nagakute, Aichi Gun, Aichi 480 1195, Japan
J Artif Organs 7:77-82. 2004..It is considered particularly vital to give sufficient consideration to this point in chronic heart failure patients with left bundle branch block requiring biventricular pacing...
- Anterior resection for rectal cancer with mesorectal excision: a prospective evaluation of 622 patientsWai Lun Law
Department of Surgery, Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong Medical Center, Hong Kong
Ann Surg 240:260-8. 2004..Risk factors for local recurrence and survival were also analyzed...
- Comparison of indapamide and low-dose hydrochlorothiazide monotherapy in black patients with mild to moderate hypertensionIvelin V Radevski
Department of Cardiology, Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
S Afr Med J 92:532-6. 2002..5 mg and indapamide 2.5 mg given as a monotherapy over 3 months to black patients with mild to moderate essential hypertension...
- Thymidylate synthase and dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase mRNA levels in tumor tissues and the efficacy of 5-fluorouracil in patients with non-small-cell lung cancerYasushi Shintani
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, E1, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, 565 0871, Japan
Lung Cancer 45:189-96. 2004..Based on these results, the quantitation of TS and DPD mRNA levels may predict the efficacy of 5-FU after surgery for patient with NSCLC...
- Biphasic concentration change during continuous midazolam administration in brain-injured patients undergoing therapeutic moderate hypothermiaNoriyasu Fukuoka
Hospital Pharmacy Division and Intensive Care Unit, Kagawa Medical University, 1750 1, Ikenobe, Miki, Kita, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
Resuscitation 60:225-30. 2004..To define the pharmacokinetics of midazolam, a probe for monitoring cytochrome (CYP) 3A 4 activity, during moderate hypothermic therapy...
- Economic impact of Candida colonization and Candida infection in the critically ill patientP M Olaechea
Emergency Service and Intensive Care Medicine, Hospital de Galdakao, Bo de Labeaga s n, 48960 Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:323-30. 2004..Both Candida colonization and Candida infection had an important economic impact in terms of cost increases due to longer stays in both the ICU and in the hospital...
- The role of central venous pressure and type of vascular control in blood loss during major liver resectionsVassilios Smyrniotis
Department of Surgery, University of Athens School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
Am J Surg 187:398-402. 2004..Our study aims at assessing the effects of different levels of CVP in relation to type of vascular control on perioperative blood loss and patient outcome...
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme polymorphisms and their potential impact on left ventricular myocardial geometry after aortic valve surgeryIgor Knez
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
J Heart Valve Dis 12:687-95. 2003..Postoperative long-term changes in LV indices were investigated in patients with asymptomatic aortic regurgitation (AR) and symptomatic aortic stenosis (AS) and related to alleles of ACE polymorphisms...
- Bleeding reflux esophagitis: a prospective 1-year study in a university hospitalN D Costa
, , Reims, France
Am J Gastroenterol 96:47-51. 2001..Bleeding esophagitis occurred primarily in patients with severe esophagitis and was the revealing clinical form of gastroesophageal reflux disease in the majority of cases, suggesting that bleeding prevention would hardly be effective...
- Closed-wedge tibial osteotomy: conventional technique versus a new system of compression-dynamic fixationD Tigani
Orthopedic University Clinic of Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Bologna, Italy
Orthopedics 25:1265-8. 2002..02). High tibial osteotomy with an osteotomy jig provides a more accurate correction of deformity than the conventional technique...
- Preeclampsia and small-for-gestational age are associated with decreased concentrations of a factor involved in angiogenesis: soluble Tie-2Francesca Gotsch
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 21:389-402. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine whether patients with preeclampsia and mothers who deliver a SGA neonate have changes in the plasma concentrations of sTie-2...
- Amniotic fluid heat shock protein 70 concentration in histologic chorioamnionitis, term and preterm parturitionTinnakorn Chaiworapongsa
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 21:449-61. 2008..This study was conducted to determine the changes in amniotic fluid HSP70 concentrations during pregnancy, term and preterm parturition, intra-amniotic infection (IAI), and histologic chorioamnionitis...
- Amniotic fluid concentration of surfactant proteins in intra-amniotic infectionTinnakorn Chaiworapongsa
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 21:663-70. 2008..This study was conducted to determine if amniotic fluid concentrations of surfactant protein (SP)-A, SP-B, and SP-D change in patients with and without intra-amniotic infection (IAI)...
- Impact of adherence to interferons in the treatment of multiple sclerosis: a non-experimental, retrospective, cohort studyStephanie C Steinberg
Accredo Health Group, Inc, The University of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Clin Drug Investig 30:89-100. 2010..To date, limited evidence exists regarding the effect of patient adherence to interferon-beta therapies on clinical and economic outcomes...
- Age of donor alters the effect of cyclic hydrostatic pressure on production by human macrophages and osteoblasts of sRANKL, OPG and RANKC E Evans
Laboratory and Regenerative Medicine, Stopford Building, The Medical School, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 7:21. 2006..We studied whether cyclical pressure might affect bone turnover via effects on OPG/ sRANKL/ RANK...
- The frequency and clinical significance of intra-uterine infection and inflammation in patients with placenta previa and preterm labor and intact membranesC W Park
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Placenta 30:613-8. 2009..The purpose of this study was to examine this issue...
- Antimicrobial peptides in amniotic fluid: defensins, calprotectin and bacterial/permeability-increasing protein in patients with microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity, intra-amniotic inflammation, preterm labor and premature rupture of membranesJ Espinoza
Perinatology Research Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development NIH DHSS, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 13:2-21. 2003....
- Unexplained fetal death: another anti-angiogenic stateJimmy Espinoza
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 20:495-507. 2007....
- DETECTION AND TREATMENT OF POSTPARTUM DEPRESSIONKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Impact of Gender on Symptoms and Progression of IPFMeiLan K Han; Fiscal Year: 2013..including the following: (1) focused additional didactic training in the analysis of longitudinal data, nonparametric statistics, the handling of missing data, and patient centered outcomes;(2) protected time to gain further practical ..
- Personal digital assistant devices and medication errorKimberly Galt; Fiscal Year: 2003..Bivariate nonparametric statistics will be used to assess the change in perception of the physicians regarding PDA use as a result of the ..
- RACIAL/ETHNIC DIFFERENCES IN ADVERSE PREGNANCY OUTCOMESRochelle Shain; Fiscal Year: 1991..will be based upon univariate statistical analyses (analysis of variance and chi- square or other nonparametric statistics) and multivariate analyses (logistic regression, ordinary least-squares regression)...
- Generalization of the Client Matching ProtocolGeorge De Leon; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ADOLESCENT ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE--THE TEENS' PERSPECTIVEGail Slap; Fiscal Year: 1993..The data from the Delphi will be analyzed using nonparametric statistics for the ordinal ratings and multivariable procedures to assess the relationships between independent ..
- Anxiety Among Older Adults with Dementia in ALFsMarianne Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006..Data from the MD-AL study (n=198) will be analyzed using descriptive and nonparametric statistics and logistic regression to describe anxiety and its relationship to cognitive impairment, depression, ..
- GENETIC TESTING FOR CANCER RISK--PSYCHOSOCIAL IMPACTJulia Houfek; Fiscal Year: 1999..Changes over time in responses to genetic testing will be measured with repeated measures ANOVA. Qualitative data will be analyzed with content analysis and nonparametric statistics.
- REGIONAL MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF PASSIVE HEART TISSUEJAY HUMPHREY; Fiscal Year: 1992..new experimental guidelines to ensure that the data is reliable; (e) using nonlinear regressions and nonparametric statistics to quantify the mechanical properties in terms of material parameters, and (f) developing a new model for ..
- CONTROL OF OSTEOGENESIS AND ADIPOGENESIS BY EBFMark C Horowitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such information would be applicable to a wide variety of skeletal defects including age-related osteopenia, post-menopausal osteoporosis, fracture repair, and extended survival of prosthetic implants. ..
- Signal Transduction Mechanisms in Suicide BrainYogesh Dwivedi; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- PS06-003, Opt-out HIV Testing in Emergency Dept settingsJason Haukoos; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cerebrovascular risk factors and late-life suicideSAU MAN CHAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..The correlation between clinical and radiopathological CVRFs as well as the relationship between burden of CVRFs and impaired ECFs will be worked out by correlation statistics. ..
- A COLLABORATIVE GENOMIC STUDY OF BIPOLAR DISORDERWade Berrettini; Fiscal Year: 2007..Analysis of the existing sib pair families plus this large set of cases and controls should permit the confirmation of several vulnerability genes during this grant period. ..
- Anxiety and Psychological Vulnerability in Chest PainKAMILA WHITE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Data from this research program will allow Dr. White to establish an empirical foundation from which to apply these data to the development of novel interventions for patients with NCCP. ..
- CEA in CTN: Bup/Nal treatment for opioid addicted youthDaniel Polsky; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- A Model of Patient and Nursing Administration OutomesBarbara Mark; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Immunoglobulin Allotypes in Hepatitis C Virus InfectionJANARDAN PANDEY; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results of this investigation will advance our understanding of the role of host genetic factors in clearance and persistence of hepatitis C virus infection. ..
- Differential Gene Expression in the Cochlear NucleusDavid Friedland; Fiscal Year: 2008..These data will also provide a powerful template upon which to test and design novel treatments for improving hearing, discrimination and tinnitus in a significant portion of the population. ..
- Intimate Partner Violence in a Women's Health Clinic PopulationAudrey Saftlas; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Exercise-based Motivational Interviewing for FibromyalgiaDENNIS CHUA ANG; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, if proven efficacious, Ml could readily be applied to other chronically painful conditions (e.g. chronic back pain). ..
- Smoking reinforcement in adults with and without ADHDScott H Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will help identify some of the reasons why people with ADHD smoke more and will potentially lead to better prevention and treatment programs. ..
- Prevention of Weight Gain in Young AdultsMark Espeland; Fiscal Year: 2009..This approach shows promise for reducing weight gain and thereby improving long-term cardiovascular health. (End of Abstract) ..
- REGULATION OF BONE REMODELING BY MEGAKARYOCYTESMark Horowitz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such information would be applicable to a wide variety of skeletal defects including, post-menopausal osteoporosis, age-related osteopenia, fracture repair, and extended survival of prosthetic implants. ..
- Cytokine-CRH Interactions in IFN-alfa-Induced DepressionCharles Raison; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Impact of selenium/zinc levels on HIV disease and treatment response in childrenTorsak Bunupuradah; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Seniors Health and Activity Research Program Pilot (SHARP-P)Mark Espeland; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Air Pollution and Central Nervous System DiseaseLilian Calderon Garciduenas; Fiscal Year: 2008..The Award will give me the opportunity to build new skills in 4 areas: Molecular Biology, DNA Damage, Developmental / Neurodegenerative Neuropathology, and to gain experience in grantsmanship. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LIMBIC SENSITIVITY IN COCAINE ADDICTIONBryon Adinoff; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our competing renewal will be used to identify specific changes in these neuroreceptor systems, providing avenues for new pharmacologic investigations in the treatment of cocaine dependence. ..
- SCAR TRIP Conference: Transforming Medical ImagingKatherine Andriole; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- DOMESTIC ABUSE IN PREGNANCY AND ADVERSE BIRTH OUTCOMESAudrey Saftlas; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Statistical Methods for Cost Research in Alcohol StudiesDaniel Polsky; Fiscal Year: 2004..By developing the methodology of cost analysis we aim to improve the policy relevance and interpretability of economic evidence in trial based data. ..
- The Role of Food Viscosity in Calorie Intake RegulationTerry Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PERIPHERAL SOMATOSTATIN CONTROLS INFLAMMATORY PAINSusan Carlton; Fiscal Year: 2004..Peripheral SST receptors offer novel targets for nociceptor modulation and are likely targets for further development of non-opioid therapies to aid in reducing the pain and long-term deleterious changes that can accompany inflammation. ..
- Methodology of Phase I and II trials of anticancer CAMAndrew Vickers; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- QUANTITATIVE GENETICS OF OPIATE ADDICTIONWade Berrettini; Fiscal Year: 2004..This may enhance our knowledge of genetic susceptibility to opioid dependence in human populations. ..
- Semi-parametric Methods for Multivariate Survival DataJianwen Cai; Fiscal Year: 2004..Asymptotic and finite sample properties will be investigated. Analysis of data from the Studies of Left Ventricular Dysfunction will be performed. ..
- HOMEBOUND ELDERLY--MAINTAINING POSTTREATMENT CONTINENCESandra Engberg; Fiscal Year: 2002..10) Explore the development of a predictive model of patients who relapse during follow-up. ..
- Case/Cleveland Clinical Research Training Program (RMI)Richard Rudick; Fiscal Year: 2004..It will host a national conference on this theme during 2007 to exchange "lessons learned" and evaluate how NIH-sponsored programs are measuring up to this strategic goal. ..
- Identification of osmoregulatory mutants in DrosophilaEDWARD BLUMENTHAL; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- INTEGRATIVE NEUROBIOLOGY OF ALCOHOL WITHDRAWAL SEIZURESCarl Faingold; Fiscal Year: 2002..We expect these approaches to yield novel insights into the neurobiological mechanisms controlling seizure susceptibility during ethanol withdrawal and suggest improved approaches to the therapy of alcoholism. ..
- Determinants of HbF Response to HydroxyureaMartin Steinberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..5 cM resolution. We hope ultimately to discover SNPs, haplotypes or genes that predict or modulate the HbF response to hydroxyurea and better define HbF regulation in sickle cell anemia. ..
- Cortical Dynamics for Pain Perception in Behaving RatsAPKAR APKARIAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Genetics of Anorexia NervosaWade Berrettini; Fiscal Year: 2005..The diagnostic and genetic data and lymphoblastoid cell lines (derived from blood samples) will become part of a national archival resource for genetic studies of AN through the NIMH Genetics Initiative. ..
- Characterizing temporal dynamics of spontaneous painAPKAR APKARIAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Emotional Mechanisms /Blood-Injection-Injury PhobiaOlubunmi Olatunji; Fiscal Year: 2004..This research will provide an important contribution to the understanding of the emotions that mediate BII phobia, thus potentially providing a foundation for incorporating effective treatment strategies. ..
- Prevention of post-stroke depression-treatment strategyRobert Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Methylphenidate Abuse Potential in ADHD AdultsScott Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cardiovascular Risks in Adolescents with DiabetesMelissa Faulkner; Fiscal Year: 2004..This investigation is particularly relevant given the limited research on cardiovascular risks in adolescents with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Market Competition and the Quality of Home Health ServicesDANIEL E POLSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Nurse Staffing, Financial Performance, Quality of CareBarbara Mark; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Pathological GamblingJon Grant; Fiscal Year: 2008..This award would provide me with the necessary background for further studies in the treatment of pathological gambling and the training for an independent patient-oriented research career. ..
- Critical Research Issues in Essential TremorRodger Elble; Fiscal Year: 2005..We believe that such conferences are the best way to build and maintain momentum and interest in ET research. ..
- Microbial Outcomes of Minimal Intervention TreatmentMathilde Peters; Fiscal Year: 2005..This investigation is a clinical and molecular re-entry study of sealing of caries, in support of a future full-scale clinical trial of incomplete caries removal. ..
- Geostatistical software for the space-time analysis of health disparitiesPierre Goovaerts; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Primary Care Colorectal Ca Screening Surveillance SystemRichard Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- GM1 Ganglioside Effects on Parkinson's DiseaseJay Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2007..Working hypothesis: Long-term GM1 use will stabilize symptoms or slow the progression of symptoms in PD patients and this may be accompanied by reduced loss of striatal DA terminals over time. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ANXIETY, DISINHIBITION, AND RISK FOR DRUG ABUSEKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2003..phenotypic indices of vulnerability using combinations of clinical and psychophysiological measures. ..
- Simulation Training for Ultrasound Guided Central Venous Catheter InsertionLEIGH EVANS; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Home Automatic external Defibrillator TrainingThomas Rea; Fiscal Year: 2007..Alternatively, if nominal video-based approaches achieve comparable outcomes, training efforts can be streamlined at considerable cost savings with fewer impediments for distribution and dissemination. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Case/Cleveland Clinic Clinical Research Training Program (RMI)Richard Rudick; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will host a national conference on this theme during 2007 to exchange "lessons learned" and evaluate how NIH-sponsored programs are measuring up to this strategic goal. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RESPIRATORY DISEASES/BSI STUDYShahin Lockman; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Psychosocial Res. to Improve Drug Treatment in PregnancyKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Uptake of Vitamin A and Breast CancerMATTHEW ROWLING; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Quantification of Host Markers in GCF Using CBIBRicardo Teles; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, this methodology is at the forefront of new approaches in proteomics, and carries enormous promise for translational applications in the near future. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ETHNIC DISPARITY IN THE USE OF JOINT ARTHROPLASTYDENNIS ANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Program Director, Munro Peacock, M.D., was appointed in July 1987. The GCRC was ..
- Physical Restraints and Therapy Disruption in HospitalsAnn Minnick; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- 3D CT Cephalometrics and Family History in Sleep ApneaReyes Enciso; Fiscal Year: 2008..The 5th year's focus will be on report and grant writing. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel Molecules that Define Viral PersistenceDavid Brooks; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of Osteoclast Differentiation by Pax5Mark Horowitz; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such information would be applicable to a wide variety of skeletal defects including, post-menopausal osteoporosis, age-related osteopenia, fracture repair, and extended survival of prosthetic implants. ..
- Long-term White Matter Changes Resulting from Delirium after SurgeryJames Rudolph; Fiscal Year: 2008..If the hypotheses are confirmed, this will alter our fundamental understanding of delirium as a short-term disorder and future studies can use imaging to prevent, identify, and treat delirium. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..