Genomes and Genes
area under curve
Summary: A statistical means of summarizing information from a series of measurements on one individual. It is frequently used in clinical pharmacology where the AUC from serum levels can be interpreted as the total uptake of whatever has been administered. As a plot of the concentration of a drug against time, after a single dose of medicine, producing a standard shape curve, it is a means of comparing the bioavailability of the same drug made by different companies. (From Winslade, Dictionary of Clinical Research, 1992)
Publications317 found, 100 shown here
- Two formulas for computation of the area under the curve represent measures of total hormone concentration versus time-dependent changeJens C Pruessner
McConnell Brain Imaging Centre, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Psychoneuroendocrinology 28:916-31. 2003..It is shown that depending on which formula is used, different associations with other variables may emerge. Consequently, it is recommended to employ both formulas when analyzing data sets with repeated measures...
- Evaluating the added predictive ability of a new marker: from area under the ROC curve to reclassification and beyondMichael J Pencina
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Framingham Heart Study, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Stat Med 27:157-72; discussion 207-12. 2008..We illustrate the use of these measures with an example from the Framingham Heart Study. We propose that scientists consider these types of measures in addition to the AUC when assessing the performance of newer biomarkers...
- The genetic interpretation of area under the ROC curve in genomic profilingNaomi R Wray
Genetic Epidemiology and Queensland Statistical Genetics, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
PLoS Genet 6:e1000864. 2010..We provide a strategy to estimate proportion of genetic variance explained on the liability scale from estimates of AUC, disease prevalence, and heritability (or sibling recurrence risk) available as an online calculator...
- Phase III trial of carboplatin and paclitaxel compared with cisplatin and paclitaxel in patients with optimally resected stage III ovarian cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group studyRobert F Ozols
Medical Science Department, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:3194-200. 2003..Thus, we conducted a noninferiority trial of cisplatin and paclitaxel versus carboplatin and paclitaxel in this population...
- Statistics review 13: receiver operating characteristic curvesViv Bewick
School of Computing, Mathematical and Information Sciences, University of Brighton, Brighton, UK
Crit Care 8:508-12. 2004..The sensitivity, specificity and likelihood ratio of a test are discussed. The uses of the receiver operating characteristic curve and the area under the curve are explained...
- Predictive testing for complex diseases using multiple genes: fact or fiction?A Cecile J W Janssens
Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Genet Med 8:395-400. 2006..There is ongoing debate about whether testing low-risk genes at multiple loci will be useful in clinical care and public health. We investigated the usefulness of multiple genetic testing using simulated data...
- COBEpro: a novel system for predicting continuous B-cell epitopesMichael J Sweredoski
Department of Computer Science, University of California, Irvine, 92697 3435, USA
Protein Eng Des Sel 22:113-20. 2009..829 on the fragment epitopic propensity scoring task and an AUC up to 0.628 on the residue epitopic propensity scoring task. COBEpro is incorporated into the SCRATCH prediction suite at http://scratch.proteomics.ics.uci.edu...
- The pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and tolerability of dabigatran etexilate, a new oral direct thrombin inhibitor, in healthy male subjectsJoachim Stangier
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma GmbH and Co KG, Ingelheim, Germany
Br J Clin Pharmacol 64:292-303. 2007..Two double-blind, randomized trials were undertaken to investigate the pharmacokinetics (PK), pharmacodynamics (PD) and tolerability of orally administered dabigatran etexilate in healthy male subjects...
- Diagnostic markers for early detection of ovarian cancerIrene Visintin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:1065-72. 2008..In this study, we characterize and validate the combination of six serum biomarkers that discriminate between disease-free and ovarian cancer patients with high efficiency...
- Changes in insulin sensitivity and insulin release in relation to glycemia and glucose tolerance in 6,414 Finnish menAlena Stancakova
Department of Medicine, University of Kuopio and Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland
Diabetes 58:1212-21. 2009....
- Properties of the summary receiver operating characteristic (SROC) curve for diagnostic test dataS D Walter
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Stat Med 21:1237-56. 2002..The methods are illustrated using data for the Pap smear screening test for cervical cancer, and for three tests for the diagnosis of metastases in cervical cancer patients...
- Can survival prediction be improved by merging gene expression data sets?Haleh Yasrebi
Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research ISREC, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology EPFL, School of Life Sciences, EPFL SV ISREC, Lausanne, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 4:e7431. 2009..Here, we present a systematic study to answer this question specifically for breast cancer data sets. We use survival prediction based on Cox regression as an assay to measure the added value of merged data sets...
- Summary receiver operating characteristic curve analysis techniques in the evaluation of diagnostic testsCatherine M Jones
The National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College of Science, Technology, and Medicine, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, St Mary s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 79:16-20. 2005..We use a practical approach to show how SROC analysis can be applied to meta-analysis of diagnostic accuracy by using a contrived dataset of studies on virtual bronchoscopy in the diagnosis of airway lesions...
- Copeptin: a novel, independent prognostic marker in patients with ischemic strokeMira Katan
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Ann Neurol 66:799-808. 2009..Vasopressin is a stress hormone. Its production rate is mirrored in circulating levels of copeptin, a fragment of provasopressin. We evaluated the prognostic value of copeptin in acute stroke patients...
- Rituximab, B-lymphocyte depletion, and preservation of beta-cell functionMark D Pescovitz
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, USA
N Engl J Med 361:2143-52. 2009..It is possible to achieve selective depletion of B lymphocytes with rituximab, an anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody. This phase 2 study evaluated the role of B-lymphocyte depletion in patients with type 1 diabetes...
- Key factors in the acquisition of contrast kinetic data for oncologyJ L Evelhoch
Cancer Biology Program, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, and Departments of Internal Medicine and Radiology, Wayne State University, Vaitkevicius MR Center, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 10:254-9. 1999..This review considers these factors and, when possible, makes specific recommendations for addressing them experimentally...
- Use and misuse of the receiver operating characteristic curve in risk predictionNancy R Cook
Division of Preventive Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 900 Commonwealth Ave East, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Circulation 115:928-35. 2007..As novel risk factors are discovered, sole reliance on the c statistic to evaluate their utility as risk predictors thus seems ill-advised...
- Pharmacokinetics of the antimalarial drug piperaquine in healthy Vietnamese subjectsTrong Chinh Nguyen
Department of Infectious Diseases, Central Military Hospital 108, Hanoi, Vietnam
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:620-3. 2008..Piperaquine AUC was proportional to the two doses tested and a moderate-fat meal enhanced the bioavailability of piperaquine by 41%, which should improve the therapeutic efficacy of this drug...
- Genome-wide association scan in women with systemic lupus erythematosus identifies susceptibility variants in ITGAM, PXK, KIAA1542 and other lociJohn B Harley
Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, 825 NE 13th Street, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
Nat Genet 40:204-10. 2008..Our results show that numerous genes, some with known immune-related functions, predispose to SLE...
- Receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve: practical review for radiologistsSeong Ho Park
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University College of Medicine and Institute of Radiation Medicine, SNUMRC, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 5:11-8. 2004..Various considerations concerning the collection of data in radiological ROC studies are briefly discussed. An introduction to the software frequently used for performing ROC analyses is also presented...
- Are we predicting the actual or apparent distribution of temperate marine fishes?Jacquomo Monk
School of Life and Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology, Deakin University, Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 7:e34558. 2012..e. a combination of species distribution and the probability of detecting it). Consequently, we also encourage researchers and marine managers to carefully interpret model predictions...
- Discriminatory accuracy from single-nucleotide polymorphisms in models to predict breast cancer riskMitchell H Gail
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, 6120 Executive Blvd, Rm 8032, Bethesda, MD 20892 7244, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:1037-41. 2008....
- Clinical decision support and individualized prediction of survival in colon cancer: bayesian belief network modelAlexander Stojadinovic
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 20:161-74. 2013..Low- and high-risk cohorts were defined. The tenfold cross-validation assessed predictive utility of the machine-learned Bayesian belief network (ml-BBN) model for clinical decision support (CDS)...
- Pharmacokinetics of tenofovir following intravaginal and intrarectal administration of tenofovir gel to rhesus macaquesJeremy Nuttall
International Partnership for Microbicides, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:103-9. 2012..These data suggest that a tenofovir-based microbicide may have the potential to protect when exposure is via vaginal or anal intercourse, regardless of whether the microbicide is applied vaginally or rectally...
- Large-scale validation of the Centor and McIsaac scores to predict group A streptococcal pharyngitisAndrew M Fine
Department of Medicine, Division of Emergency Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Arch Intern Med 172:847-52. 2012..We perform a national-scale validation of the prediction models on a large, geographically diverse population...
- Population pharmacokinetics of piperaquine after two different treatment regimens with dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine in patients with Plasmodium falciparum malaria in ThailandJ Tarning
Department of Pharmacology, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1052-61. 2008..Our data lend further support to a simplified once-daily treatment regimen to improve treatment adherence and efficacy and indicate that weight-adjusted piperaquine doses in children may need to be higher than in adults...
- Population pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics of docetaxel in phase II studies in patients with cancerR Bruno
Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics Department, , Antony, France
J Clin Oncol 16:187-96. 1998..Prospective implementation of large-scale population PK/PD evaluation is feasible in early drug development and this approach generates clinically relevant findings...
- Pharmacokinetics, tissue distribution, and metabolism of 17-(dimethylaminoethylamino)-17-demethoxygeldanamycin (NSC 707545) in CD2F1 mice and Fischer 344 ratsMerrill J Egorin
Molecular Therapeutics Drug Discovery Program, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, PA 15213, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 49:7-19. 2002..p. and oral delivery; (3) characterize the biliary excretion of 17DMAG after i.v. delivery to rats; and (4) characterize, if possible, any metabolites of 17DMAG observed in plasma, tissue, urine, or bile...
- Pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic relationships of antimicrobial drugs used in veterinary medicineQ A McKellar
Royal Veterinary College, Hawkshead Campus, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 7TA, UK
J Vet Pharmacol Ther 27:503-14. 2004..The relationships between time greater than MIC and resistance selection for time-dependent antimicrobials have not been well characterized...
- Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of temozolomide on a daily-for-5-days schedule in patients with advanced solid malignanciesL A Hammond
Institute for Drug Development, Cancer Therapy and Research Center, San Antonio, TX 78829, USA
J Clin Oncol 17:2604-13. 1999....
- Induction of cytochrome P450 2B6 activity by the herbal medicine baicalin as measured by bupropion hydroxylationLan Fan
Pharmacogenetics Research Institute, Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, People s Republic of China
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 65:403-9. 2009..This study investigated the effect of the herbal medicine baicalin on bupropion hydroxylation, a probe reaction for CYP2B6 activity related to different CYP2B6 genotype groups...
- Pharmacokinetic assessment of a five-probe cocktail for CYPs 1A2, 2C9, 2C19, 2D6 and 3ASandrine Turpault
Global Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, Sanofi Aventis, Malvern, PA, USA
Br J Clin Pharmacol 68:928-35. 2009....
- Effects of food on the pharmacokinetics of edoxaban, an oral direct factor Xa inhibitor, in healthy volunteersJeanne Mendell
MPH, Daiichi Sankyo Pharma Development, 399 Thornall St, Edison, NJ 08837, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 51:687-94. 2011..Both Japanese and Caucasian volunteers demonstrated a modest but clinically insignificant food effect. It was concluded that edoxaban can be administered without regard to food...
- Evaluation of annexin II as a potential serum marker for hepatocellular carcinoma using a developed sandwich ELISA methodNa Young Ji
Medical Genomics Research Center, KRIBB, Daejeon, Korea
Int J Mol Med 24:765-71. 2009..This new ELISA method can be used as a tool for the detection of ANXA2 in human serum, particularly for cancer diagnostics...
- Pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and tolerability of multiple oral doses of linagliptin, a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor in male type 2 diabetes patientsT Heise
Profil Institut für Stoffwechselforschung GmbH, Hellersbergstrasse, Neuss, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 11:786-94. 2009..To investigate the safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of multiple oral doses of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitor linagliptin (BI 1356) in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) isoform p2PSA in combination with total PSA and free PSA improves diagnostic accuracy in prostate cancer detectionFlip H Jansen
Department of Urology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Urol 57:921-7. 2010..Novel markers for prostate cancer (PCa) detection are needed. Total prostate-specific antigen (tPSA) and percent free prostate-specific antigen (%fPSA=tPSA/fPSA) lack diagnostic specificity...
- Area under the curve and other summary indicators of repeated waking cortisol measurementsDesta B Fekedulegn
Biostatistics and Epidemiology Branch, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, HELD BEB, MS 4050, 1095 Willowdale Rd, Morgantown, WV 26505, USA
Psychosom Med 69:651-9. 2007..The latter parameters, AUC(I), however, is seldom used by research scientists...
- Prediction of lymph node involvement in breast cancer from primary tumor tissue using gene expression profiling and miRNAsA Smeets
Multidisciplinary Breast Centre University Hospital, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Breast Cancer Res Treat 129:767-76. 2011..Moreover, our data suggest a general deregulation of the miRNA machinery that is potentially responsible for lymph node invasion...
- Pharmacokinetic comparisons of hydroxysafflower yellow A in normal and blood stasis syndrome ratsYun Tian
Department of Pharmacy, Xijing Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, No 127, Changle West Road, Xi an, China
J Ethnopharmacol 129:1-4. 2010..The differences of pharmacokinetic properties between normal and blood stasis syndrome rats were seldom reported...
- A framework for evaluating biomarkers for early detection: validation of biomarker panels for ovarian cancerClaire S Zhu
Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 7346, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 4:375-83. 2011..Thus, biomarker panels discovered in diagnostic samples may not validate in prediagnostic samples; utilizing prediagnostic samples for discovery may be helpful in developing validated early detection panels...
- Comparison of metabolic pharmacokinetics of baicalin and baicalein in ratsMiao Ying Lai
Graduate Institute of Chinese Pharmaceutical Sciences, China Medical College, Taichung, Taiwan 404, ROC
J Pharm Pharmacol 55:205-9. 2003....
- Performance of common genetic variants in breast-cancer risk modelsSholom Wacholder
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, 6120 Executive Blvd, EPS 5050, MSC 7244, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
N Engl J Med 362:986-93. 2010..Genomewide association studies have identified multiple genetic variants associated with breast cancer. The extent to which these variants add to existing risk-assessment models is unknown...
- Cardiovascular risk factors at age 30 following pre-term birthStuart R Dalziel
Clinical Trials Research Unit, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Int J Epidemiol 36:907-15. 2007..However, scarce information exists concerning cardiovascular risk factors in adulthood following pre-term birth, or distinguishing the relative contributions of length of gestation and fetal growth to small size at birth...
- Enhanced oral bioavailability of a poorly water soluble drug PNU-91325 by supersaturatable formulationsPing Gao
Worldwide Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pfizer Inc, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49007, USA
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 30:221-9. 2004....
- Process optimization, characterization and evaluation in vivo of oxymatrine-phospholipid complexPeng Fei Yue
Jiangxi University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Nanchang 330004, China
Int J Pharm 387:139-46. 2010..05), compared with those of oxymatrine or the physical mixture. This was mainly due to an improvement of the solubility of OMT-PLC...
- Preoperative 3T MR imaging of rectal cancer: local staging accuracy using a two-dimensional and three-dimensional T2-weighted turbo spin echo sequenceJurgen J Futterer
Department of Radiology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, The Netherlands
Eur J Radiol 65:66-71. 2008..The purpose of our study was to evaluate the image quality and diagnostic performance of two-dimensional (D) turbo spin echo (TSE) and 3D T2-weighted TSE MR imaging in local staging of rectal cancer at 3T...
- Bioequivalence approaches for highly variable drugs and drug productsSam H Haidar
Office of Generic Drugs, Food and Drug Administration, 7500 Standish Place, Rockville, Maryland, 20855, USA
Pharm Res 25:237-41. 2008..A partial replicated-treatment design with this new data analysis methodology will thus provide a more efficient design for BE studies with highly variable drugs and drug products...
- Lopinavir/ritonavir affects pharmacokinetic exposure of artemether/lumefantrine in HIV-uninfected healthy volunteersPolina German
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Drug Research, University of California, School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA 94143 0622, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:424-9. 2009....
- Phase I trial of 17-dimethylaminoethylamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin (17-DMAG), a heat shock protein inhibitor, administered twice weekly in patients with advanced malignanciesShivaani Kummar
Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Eur J Cancer 46:340-7. 2010....
- Prospective comparison of severity scores for predicting clinically relevant outcomes for patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumoniaPedro Pablo España Yandiola
Service of Pneumology, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo, Barrio Labeaga s n 48960 Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
Chest 135:1572-9. 2009..The comparative accuracy and discriminatory power of three validated rules for predicting clinically relevant outcomes other than mortality in patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) are unknown...
- Plasma kinetics and urinary excretion of the flavanones naringenin and hesperetin in humans after ingestion of orange juice and grapefruit juiceI Erlund
Department of Nutrition, National Public Health Institute KTL, Mannerheimintie 166 F, FIN 00300 Helsinki, Finland
J Nutr 131:235-41. 2001..We conclude that because of the relatively high concentrations of flavanones in plasma after ingestion of orange juice or grapefruit juice, considerable health effects could ensue in individuals consuming them regularly...
- Antimicrobial pharmacodynamics: critical interactions of 'bug and drug'George L Drusano
Ordway Research Institute, 150 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, New York 12208, USA
Nat Rev Microbiol 2:289-300. 2004
- Classification of rheumatoid arthritis: comparison of the 1987 American College of Rheumatology criteria and the 2010 American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism criteriaM P M van der Linden
Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 63:37-42. 2011....
- Predicting protein ligand binding sites by combining evolutionary sequence conservation and 3D structureJohn A Capra
Department of Computer Science, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, United States of America
PLoS Comput Biol 5:e1000585. 2009..Data, source code, and prediction visualizations are available on the ConCavity web site (http://compbio.cs.princeton.edu/concavity/)...
- A unifying framework for evaluating the predictive power of genetic variants based on the level of heritability explainedHon Cheong So
Department of Psychiatry, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
PLoS Genet 6:e1001230. 2010..Finally we apply the methodology to nine complex diseases, evaluating the predictive power of genetic tests based on known susceptibility variants for each trait...
- Pro-B-type natriuretic peptide levels in acute decompensated heart failureStephen W Waldo
University of California at San Diego, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 51:1874-82. 2008..The present study sought to evaluate the clinical utility of pro-B-type natriuretic peptides (proBNP) in patients admitted with acute decompensated heart failure...
- High sensitivity of the human circadian melatonin rhythm to resetting by short wavelength lightSteven W Lockley
Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:4502-5. 2003..Thus photopic lux, the standard unit of illuminance, is inappropriate when quantifying the photic drive required to reset the human circadian pacemaker...
- Use of plasma C-reactive protein, procalcitonin, neutrophils, macrophage migration inhibitory factor, soluble urokinase-type plasminogen activator receptor, and soluble triggering receptor expressed on myeloid cells-1 in combination to diagnose infectionsKristian Kofoed
Clinical Research Unit, Copenhagen University Hospital, Hvidovre, Kettegaard Alle 30, DK 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
Crit Care 11:R38. 2007..Combinations of markers, as opposed to single ones, may improve diagnosis and thereby survival. We therefore compared the diagnostic characteristics of novel and routinely used biomarkers of sepsis alone and in combination...
- Urine neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin is a marker of graft recovery after kidney transplantationMaria E Hollmen
Division of Transplantation, Department of Medicine, Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Kidney Int 79:89-98. 2011..NGAL did not correlate with long-term function in DGF. Hence, day 1 urinary NGAL predicted DGF even when it was not clinically expected early on, and importantly, it predicted prolonged DGF that led to worse graft survival...
- Pharmacokinetics and elimination of moxifloxacin after oral and intravenous administration in manH Stass
Pharma Research Center, Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Bayer AG, Wuppertal, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 43:83-90. 1999..Plasma concentrations of the metabolites were much lower than those of the parent compound. Moxifloxacin was well tolerated with few adverse events and no clinically relevant changes in laboratory values...
- Preparation, characterization and in vivo evaluation of amorphous atorvastatin calcium nanoparticles using supercritical antisolvent (SAS) processMin Soo Kim
Chungnam National University, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 69:454-65. 2008..The absorption of atorvastatin calcium after oral administration of amorphous atorvastatin calcium nanoparticles to rats was markedly increased...
- Pharmacokinetics and safety of S/GSK1349572, a next-generation HIV integrase inhibitor, in healthy volunteersSherene Min
Infectious Diseases MDC, GlaxoSmithKline, 5 Moore Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:254-8. 2010..S/GSK1349572 had no impact on midazolam exposure, indicating that it does not modulate CYP3A activity. The PK profile suggests that once-daily, low milligram doses will achieve therapeutic concentrations...
- Impact of the CYP2C19*17 allele on the pharmacokinetics of omeprazole and pantoprazole in children: evidence for a differential effectGregory L Kearns
Director, Pharmacogenetics Core Laboratory, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Medical Toxicology, Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, 2401 Gillham Road, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 38:894-7. 2010..0001) and the apparent elimination rate constant (K(el); p = 0.0012); no significant genotype-phenotype relationships were observed for omeprazole...
- The metabolism and disposition of the oral dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, linagliptin, in humansStefan Blech
Department of Drug Metabolism, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma GmbH and Co KG, Biberach, Germany
Drug Metab Dispos 38:667-78. 2010..Other minor metabolites were identified by mass spectrometry and NMR investigations. However, it was concluded that the metabolites of linagliptin only play a minor role in the overall disposition and elimination of linagliptin...
- Evaluating diagnostic tests: The area under the ROC curve and the balance of errorsDavid J Hand
Imperial College, London
Stat Med 29:1502-10. 2010..This is not merely an aspect of the inevitable arbitrariness in choosing a performance measure, but is a core property of the way the AUC is defined. This property is explored, and an alternative, the H measure, is described...
- Safety, pharmacokinetic, and antitumor activity of SU11248, a novel oral multitarget tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with cancerSandrine Faivre
Department of Medicine, Gustave Roussy Institute, Villejuif, France
J Clin Oncol 24:25-35. 2006..To establish the safety, pharmacokinetics, and recommended dose of sunitinib, a novel oral multitargeting tyrosine kinase inhibitor with antiangiogenic and antitumor properties, in patients with advanced malignancies...
- A phase I and pharmacokinetic study of the oral histone deacetylase inhibitor, MS-275, in patients with refractory solid tumors and lymphomasLia Gore
University of Colorado Cancer Center, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:4517-25. 2008....
- Pharmacokinetics of dihydroartemisinin and piperaquine in pregnant and nonpregnant women with uncomplicated falciparum malariaMarcus J Rijken
Shoklo Malaria Research Unit, PO Box 46 Mae Sot, Tak 63110, Thailand
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:5500-6. 2011..However, a more detailed analysis using population pharmacokinetic modeling is needed to fully investigate the differences found for some of the pharmacokinetic parameters, such as the terminal half-life...
- Common polymorphisms of CYP2C19 and CYP2C9 affect the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic response to clopidogrel but not prasugrelJ T Brandt
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
J Thromb Haemost 5:2429-36. 2007..The pharmacodynamic response to clopidogrel is more variable than the response to prasugrel, but the reasons for variation in response to clopidogrel are not well characterized...
- Comments on 'Evaluating the added predictive ability of a new marker: From area under the ROC curve to reclassification and beyond' by M. J. Pencina et al., Statistics in Medicine (DOI: 10.1002/sim.2929)M S Pepe
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Biostatistics and Biomathematics, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Stat Med 27:173-81. 2008
- Impact of high-inoculum Staphylococcus aureus on the activities of nafcillin, vancomycin, linezolid, and daptomycin, alone and in combination with gentamicin, in an in vitro pharmacodynamic modelKerry L LaPlante
Anti Infective Research Laboratory, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4665-72. 2004..Overall, high-inoculum Staphylococcus aureus had a significant impact on the activities of nafcillin and vancomycin. In contrast, daptomycin was affected minimally and linezolid was not affected by inoculum...
- Lactulose/mannitol test and specificity, sensitivity, and area under curve of intestinal permeability parameters in patients with liver cirrhosis and Crohn's diseaseMilan Dastych
Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Hematology, University Hospital Brno, Jihlavska 20, 62500, Brno, Czech Republic
Dig Dis Sci 53:2789-92. 2008The purpose of this study was to investigate and compare the specificity, sensitivity, and area under curve (AUC) of the lactulose/mannitol ratio, lactulose/creatinine ratio, and lactulose recovery and their diagnostic value for ..
- A blood-based biomarker panel for stratifying current risk for colorectal cancerKenneth Wayne Marshall
GeneNews Ltd, Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Int J Cancer 126:1177-86. 2010..Across the continuous spectrum of risk as defined by the current relative risk scale, it is possible to identify clinically meaningful reference points that can assist patients and physicians in CRC screening decision making...
- The Peptic Ulcer Perforation (PULP) score: a predictor of mortality following peptic ulcer perforation. A cohort studyM H Møller
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital Bispebjerg, Denmark
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 56:655-62. 2012..The objective of the present study was to develop a new and improved clinical rule to predict mortality in patients following surgical treatment for PPU...
- Montreal cognitive assessment: validation study for mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer diseaseSandra Freitas
Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 27:37-43. 2013..This study provides robust evidence that the MoCA is a better cognitive tool than the widely used MMSE for the screening and monitoring of MCI and AD in clinical settings...
- Accuracy of clinical prediction rules in peptic ulcer perforation: an observational studyDavid Levarett Buck
Emergency Department, Holbæk Hospital, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 47:28-35. 2012....
- Pseudoabsence generation strategies for species distribution modelsBrice B Hanberry
Department of Forestry, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e44486. 2012..If absence data are not available, another important consideration is pseudoabsence generation. Different strategies for pseudoabsence generation can produce varying spatial representation of species...
- AST-platelet ratio index in the prediction of significant fibrosis and cirrhosis in patients with chronic hepatitis BFatih Güzelbulut
Haydarpafla Numune Education and Research Hospital, Department of Gastroenterology, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk J Gastroenterol 23:353-8. 2012..We aimed to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of AST-platelet ratio index in the prediction of significant fibrosis and cirrhosis in chronic hepatitis B patients by comparison with liver biopsy...
- AUC-RF: a new strategy for genomic profiling with random forestM Luz Calle
Systems Biology Department, University of Vic, Spain malu calle uvic cat
Hum Hered 72:121-32. 2011..The goal of this work was to provide a new selection algorithm for genomic profiling...
- Testing for improvement in prediction model performanceMargaret Sullivan Pepe
Biostatistics and Biomathematics, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Stat Med 32:1467-82. 2013..Analyses of measures of prediction performance should focus on estimation rather than on testing for no improvement in performance...
- Oral artesunate dose-response relationship in acute falciparum malariaBrian J Angus
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:778-82. 2002..6 mg/kg of body weight. These results imply that there is no reduction in PCTs with the use of single doses of artesunate higher than 2 mg/kg, and this therefore reflects the average lower limit of the maximally effective dose...
- Neck Disability Index, short form-36 physical component summary, and pain scales for neck and arm pain: the minimum clinically important difference and substantial clinical benefit after cervical spine fusionLeah Y Carreon
Norton Leatherman Spine Center, 210 East Gray St, Suite 900, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Spine J 10:469-74. 2010..The minimum clinically important difference (MCID) is a threshold of improvement that is clinically relevant to the patient. However, the true goal is to provide the patient with a substantial clinical benefit (SCB)...
- Evaluating the glucose tolerance test in miceSofianos Andrikopoulos
Univ of Melbourne, Dept of Medicine, Heidelberg Heights, Victoria, Australia
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295:E1323-32. 2008..We conclude that 2 g/kg glucose administered orally following 6 h of fasting is best to assess glucose tolerance in mice under these conditions...
- Nicotine delivery and subjective effects of Swedish portion snus compared with 4 mg nicotine polacrilex chewing gumErik Lunell
CROel AB, Helsingborg, Sweden
Nicotine Tob Res 13:573-8. 2011..Snus availability has been claimed to have contributed to the low rates of smoking among Swedish men and made possible the transfer to a less harmful form of nicotine dependence...
- Misuse of DeLong test to compare AUCs for nested modelsOlga V Demler
Department of Biostatistics, Boston University School of Public Health Crosstown, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Stat Med 31:2577-87. 2012....
- Enhanced absorption of hydroxysafflor yellow A using a self-double-emulsifying drug delivery system: in vitro and in vivo studiesLiang Zhong Lv
Department of Pharmacy, Zhejiang Provincial People s Hospital, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Int J Nanomedicine 7:4099-107. 2012..These results suggest that SDEDDS can greatly improve the oral absorption of HSYA. Given the toxicity demonstrated to the small intestine, the formulation prescription should be improved to enhance security in the future...
- Predicting cardiovascular disease risk factors in midadulthood from childhood body mass index: utility of different cutoffs for childhood body mass indexLeah Li
MRC Centre of Epidemiology for Child Health, UCL Institute of Child Health, London, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 93:1204-11. 2011..Identifying adults at increased risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) on the basis of childhood body mass index (BMI) could be informative for disease prevention but depends on the utility of childhood BMI cutoffs...
- Evidence of disseminated intravascular coagulation in a hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome-scoring models and severe illnessErik Sundberg
Department of Clinical Microbiology Infectious Diseases, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
PLoS ONE 6:e21134. 2011....
- Impact of P-glycoprotein on clopidogrel absorptionDirk Taubert
Institut fur Pharmakologie, Klinikum I für Innere Medizin, Cologne, and Deutsches Herzzentrum, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Clin Pharmacol Ther 80:486-501. 2006..We tested the hypothesis that the intestinal efflux transporter P-glycoprotein (P-gp) limits the oral bioavailability of clopidogrel and that variance in the MDR1 gene encoding P-gp predicts absorption variability...
- In vitro pharmacodynamics of vancomycin and cefazolin alone and in combination against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusMao Hagihara
Center for Anti Infective Research and Development, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:202-7. 2012....
- FibroTest and FibroScan for the prediction of hepatitis C-related fibrosis: a systematic review of diagnostic test accuracyAbdel Aziz M Shaheen
Liver Unit, Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Am J Gastroenterol 102:2589-600. 2007..Our objective was to systematically review studies describing the accuracy of these tests for predicting HCV-related fibrosis...
- Pattern of serum autoantibodies allows accurate distinction between a tumor and pathologies of the same organNicole Ludwig
Department of Human Genetics, Medical School, Saarland University, Homburg Saar, Germany
Clin Cancer Res 14:4767-74. 2008..One of the major challenges toward this goal is to prove that seroreactivity profiles do not only allow for identifying a tumor but also allow for distinguishing tumors from other pathologies of the same organ...
- Pharmacokinetics and tolerability of artesunate and amodiaquine alone and in combination in healthy volunteersCatherine Orrell
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Anzio Road, Observatory, Cape Town, 7925, South Africa
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 64:683-90. 2008..As no pharmacokinetic data on this combination have been published to date, we investigated its pharmacokinetic interactions and tolerability in healthy volunteers in Africa...
- Predictors of pain intensity and persistence in a prospective Italian cohort of patients with herpes zoster: relevance of smoking, trauma and antiviral therapyGiustino Parruti
Infectious Disease Unit, Pescara General Hospital, Pescara, Italy
BMC Med 8:58. 2010..This prospective cohort study was aimed at investigating pain intensity at HZ presentation and its correlates, as well as the incidence of PHN and its predictors...
- A simple tool to identify asian women at increased risk of osteoporosisL K Koh
Department of Endocrinology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Osteoporos Int 12:699-705. 2001..We conclude that our index performed well for classifying the risk of osteoporosis among postmenopausal Asian women and applying it would result in more prudent use of BMD technology...
- Pharmacokinetics, metabolism, and excretion of irinotecan (CPT-11) following I.V. infusion of [(14)C]CPT-11 in cancer patientsJ G Slatter
Pharmacia and Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49007, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 28:423-33. 2000..These results show that the parent drug and its three major metabolites account for virtually all CPT-11 disposition, with fecal excretion representing the major elimination pathway...
- The human circadian system adapts to prior photic historyAnne Marie Chang
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital Harvard Medical School, 221 Longwood Avenue, Suite 438, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Physiol 589:1095-102. 2011..This plasticity has important implications for the optimization of light therapy for the treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disorders...
- Diabetes Antibody Standardization Program: evaluation of assays for insulin autoantibodiesM Schlosser
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Research Group of Predictive Diagnostics, University of Greifswald, Greifswald, Germany
Diabetologia 53:2611-20. 2010..The Diabetes Antibody Standardization Program (DASP) aims to improve and standardise measurement of autoantibodies associated with type 1 diabetes. We report the results of measurement of IAA from DASP workshops in 2002, 2003 and 2005...
- An exploratory study of body composition as a determinant of epirubicin pharmacokinetics and toxicityCarla M M Prado
Department of Oncology, Cross Cancer Institute, University of Alberta, 11560 University Avenue, Edmonton, AB T6G 1Z2, Canada
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 67:93-101. 2011..Our goal was to investigate relationships between lean body mass (LBM), liver size/function and epirubicin pharmacokinetics (PK) and toxicity...
- Phase II study of area under the plasma-concentration-versus-time curve-based carboplatin plus standard-dose intravenous etoposide in elderly patients with small-cell lung cancerH Okamoto
Yokohama Municipal Citizen s Hospital, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
J Clin Oncol 17:3540-5. 1999..This phase II study was designed to determine the toxicity and efficacy of carboplatin based on Calvert's formula plus the standard dose of intravenous etoposide for elderly patients with SCLC...
- Pharmacokinetics-pharmacodynamics of antimicrobial therapy: it's not just for mice anymorePaul G Ambrose
Institute for Clinical Pharmacodynamics, Ordway Research Institute, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:79-86. 2007..Over the past 15 years, considerable PK-PD data have been derived from infected patients for many classes of antimicrobial agents. These data provide the opportunity to confirm knowledge gained from animal PK-PD infection models...
- VOLATILE MARKERS OF PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS IN THE BREATHMichael Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2006..Also, it could potentially reduce the mortality and morbidity caused by pulmonary TB. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A BREATH TEST FOR LUNG CANCERMichael Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2009..6% sensitivity, 80.0% specificity and 0.88 area under curve (AUC) of the receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve...
- VOLATILE MARKERS OF ORAL MALODOR IN THE BREATHMichael Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Novel noninvasive assessment of cytochrome P450 activityEvan Kharasch; Fiscal Year: 2009..This approach may identify inter-individual variability in drug disposition and response;permit more individualized dosing, and reduces the cost of drug interaction studies. ..
- ANESTHETIC RENAL METABOLISM--MECHANISMS AND CONSEQUENCESEvan Kharasch; Fiscal Year: 2002..More broadly, resulting biochemical and clinical insights will be applicable to the numerous other nephrotoxic haloalkenes that are ubiquitous environmental contaminants. ..
- STRENGTH TRAINING FOLLOWING GASTRIC BYPASS FOR OBESITYAllan Geliebter; Fiscal Year: 2004..The findings should improve understanding of surgical weight loss in morbidly obese patients and have clinical applications in the postoperative care of such patients. ..
- STOMACH CAPACITY AND EMPTYING IN OBESITYAllan Geliebter; Fiscal Year: 2001..Body weight and composition will be assessed at the start and monthly. The studies may enhance knowledge of the etiology, pathophysiology, and treatment of BED. ..
- Functional Brain Imaging and Appetite-Related Hormones Pre and Post Obesity SurgeAllan Geliebter; Fiscal Year: 2008..This may lead to improvements in the surgical procedures and to new insights into basic mechanisms that lead to obesity, which could provide the basis for new less invasive treatments. ..
- fMRI and Ghrelin in Obesity and Binge Eating DisorderAllan Geliebter; Fiscal Year: 2007..This may lead to improved diagnosis and treatments to help restore normal appetite hormone levels and brain activity in BED, a disorder which is increasing in prevalence alongside obesity. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Methodology of Phase I and II trials of anticancer CAMAndrew Vickers; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- SCLERODERMA LUNG STUDYDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Distal Lung Inflammation Effect on Asthma ExacerbationsDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study has the potential to clarify the contribution of the "silent zone" to the persistent morbidity encountered with asthma. ..
- LUNG HEALTH STUDY--LONG TERM FOLLOW UPDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2002..All ten of the original LHS clinical centers plan to participate in this study. To minimize bias, all surviving participants of the LHS will be invited to participate, giving a potential sample size of 5600. ..
- PERCEPTUAL MODEL FOR WORKSTATION DISPLAY OPTIMIZATIONDev Chakraborty; Fiscal Year: 2002..Also to be generated are iso-contour plots of the effects of common workstation variables on image quality in both tasks. This will allow digital mammography workstations to be more intelligently used. ..
- PERCEPTUAL MODEL FOR WORKSTATION DISPLAY OPTIMIZATIONDev Chakraborty; Fiscal Year: 2003..Also to be generated are iso-contour plots of the effects of common workstation variables on image quality in both tasks. This will allow digital mammography workstations to be more intelligently used. ..
- HAART Regimens in Substance AbusersDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPIES AND SUBSTANCE ABUSEDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2002..The in vitro model, if validated, has the potential to provide clinically important information on interactions involving HIV treatments and abusable drugs, at relatively low cost and with no human drug exposure. ..
- CYP3A Function in Aging AfricanAmericansDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study should provide important mechanistic information on the role of age, gender, and ethnicity as sources of variability in CYP3A-mediated drug metabolism and response. ..
- Antiretroviral Pharmacology/Lactating Mother/InfantsMark Mirochnick; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information is needed for the safe and effective use of antiretrovirals in nursing women, and will pioneer a novel approach to the study of breast milk drug transfer. ..
- Safety Pharmacokinetics & Efficacy of Artemether & Lumefantrine in Pregnant WomenMark Mirochnick; Fiscal Year: 2008..The data from this planned study will provide the information needed to ensure that pregnant women receive the appropriate doses of these anti-malaria drugs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effects of oral clefts on birth outcomes and cleft risks due to maternal smokingGEORGE WEHBY; Fiscal Year: 2008..Another aim is to obtain consistent estimates of the effect of maternal smoking or cleft lip and palate risk. The proposed model can be applied to study other newborn disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MDR1 and Related Proteins during HIV PI ExposureDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings will be of importance in understanding lipid disorders related to PIs as well as the kinetics of drugs used to treat HIV and related disorders. ..
- Effects of Lycopene on High-Risk Prostatic TissuePeter Gann; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- DEPRESSION DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT IN PARKINSON DISEASEDaniel Weintraub; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- FGF: A Mechanism of Acquired Multidrug ResistanceJESSIE AU; Fiscal Year: 2005..3) Test the hytpothesis that FGF is an upstream event that triggers several known mechanisms of acquired MDR. (4) Test the hypothesis that suramin can reverse acquired MDR under in vitro and in vivo conditions. ..
- Continuity of Care and Health Outcomes: Does It Really Matter?FREDRIC WOLINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Validation of rat models for resistant epilepsy therapyWolfgang Loscher; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our goal is to establish standard assays that can be employed by researchers to continue the search for treatments of drug resistant epilepsy. ..
- Health and Health Services Use in the HRS/AHEADFREDRIC WOLINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2008..Linear and non-linear regression and random effects models will also be used where appropriate. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cardiac MDCT for Early Triage of Patients with ACSUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Coenzyme Q10 in Huntington's DiseaseMerit Cudkowicz; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Pain Mechanisms and the Development of AnalgesicsTony Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2006..g. COX2 inhibitors, GABApentin, ziconotide) and failures (NK1 antagonist). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- REGULATION OF CYTOKINE GENES IN MUCOSAL VIRAL INFECTIONAllan Brasier; Fiscal Year: 2006..Expression of dominant-negative NF-KB and CBP/p300 coactivators will be used to determine their effect on coactivator recruitment. These studies will identify signaling mechanisms and protein interactions in viral-induced inflammation. ..
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness in Alzheimer's DiseaseJeffrey Burns; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Optimizing T cell Immunity to Cancer VaccinesMiguel Angel Perales; Fiscal Year: 2006..This environment maximizes the potential for the principal investigator to establish a successful independent research program. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nutritional and Hormonal Determinants of Peak Bone MassMadhusmita Misra; Fiscal Year: 2008..The effects of estrogen in weight recovered vs. non-weight recovered AN will also be studied. ..
- NEUROBIOLOGY OF PAINTony Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2005..The complexity of the problems and the diversity of the training approaches emphasize that the training received by these fellows will provide a broad base of knowledge relevant to wide areas of neurobiology. ..
- Metabolomic Signatures in ALSMerit Cudkowicz; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Conference--Medical Image PerceptionElizabeth Krupinski; Fiscal Year: 2003..This grant will be used to provide financial support for about 12 graduate students and residents, as well as logistic support for publicity and program printing. ..
- Depo-Provera and Breast Cancer: Epidemiology/PathologyChristopher Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..such as parity and body mass index, modify this association?;and (3) Does the association between DMPA and breast cancer risk vary by histologic type or by the expression of steroid receptors including ERq, ERft, and PR? ..
- IDENTIFICATION OF CLINICALLY RELEVANT CHANGES IN HRQOLFREDRIC WOLINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Nitogen reduction and xenobiotic responseLauren A Trepanier; Fiscal Year: 2010..The ultimate goal of these studies is to find better ways to prevent these adverse reactions. ..
- THERAPEUTIC POTENTIAL OF KAPPA-OPIOIDS AGAINST COCAINESharon Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies are relevant to the treatment of cocaine abuse and may lead to the development of an effective pharmacotherapy, thereby, reducing the HIV and other health risks associated with cocaine abuse and intravenous drug abuse. ..
- Predictors of Immunologic Long-term Non-Progression in Children with HIVJintanat Ananworanich; Fiscal Year: 2010..This will be important in deciding when to treat children with antiretroviral therapy. ..
- PHASE I TRIALS OF ANTICANCER AGENTSMartin Edelman; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CYCLOSPORINE, TGF BETA1, AND IMMUNOSUPPRESSIONManikkam Suthanthiran; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Multivariate Examination of Caries Risk AssessmentNancy Perrin; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Metabolic Consequences of HAART: CYP3A and P-gpDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2003..This multidisciplinary proposal provides a clinical and scientific basis to assess the effects of currently available as well as experimental HAART medications on human CYP3A and P-gp. ..
- Naturalistic Assessment of the Driving ability of Cognitively Impaired EldersBRIAN RICHARD OTT; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Spinal Galanin and its Receptors in Pain ProcessingTony Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2005..We believe the outcome of these studies will provide direct evidence for the role played by this spinal peptidergic system in pain and point to the development of novel anti-hyperpathic agents. ..
- Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry systemAdrian Franke; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Aerosolized PGE1 in Neonatal Pulmonary HypertensionBEENA SOOD; Fiscal Year: 2005..If effective, a proposal for using aerosolized PGE1 in neonatal PPHN as a multicenter study will be submitted to the NICHD Neonatal Network. ..
- Anti-Leukemic Activity of the Novel Triterpeniod CDDOMichael Andreeff; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term goal of our proposed mechanistic and efficacy studies is to determine the potential of CDDO as a novel anti-leukemia and anti-tumor agent. ..
- GARLIC PREPARATIONS AND ANTIRETROVIRAL DRUGSDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2004..The work will provide immediately applicable clinical data on garlic interactions with antiretrovirals, as well as mechanistic data identifying the interaction process and its predictability from in vitro models. ..
- MECHANISMS OF DOPAMINE & SEROTONIN IN TOURETTE SYNDROMEDEAN WONG; Fiscal Year: 2003..We propose to carry out experiments using PET to establish a more complete understanding of the neurotransmission in TS. This will also help establish new ationales for improved therapeutics in TS. ..
- Evaluation of Novel Treatments for Stimulant DependenceSharon Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cannabinoid Mechanisms in Human Gastrointestinal Motor and Sensory FunctionsMICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2010..These actions may be relevant to develop new treatments for IBS. The studies will also provide further understanding of the potential of medications like medical marijuana on stomach function that may be relevant to appetite control. ..
- Gene Therapy for Islet Cell TransplantationManikkam Suthanthiran; Fiscal Year: 2002..g., perforin) and proinflammatory cytokines (e.g., interferon-gamma) while stimulating the expression of mRNA encoding anti-inflammatory cytokines (e.g., interleukin-4). ..
- U.T. SOUTHWESTERN ADULT AIDS CLINICAL TRIALS UNITMamta Jain; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- ALPHA 2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL IN IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROMEMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2008..Significance: This project will characterize pharmacogenetic mechanisms determining the response to clonidine through studies of candidate genes that control alpha2-adrenoreceptor function and norepinephrine transport in IBS. ..
- Effects of Menthol on Bupropion PharmacokineticsKolawole Okuyemi; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- c-erbB-2 and Risk of Contralateral Breast CancerChristopher Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IMAGING DOPAMINE/SEROTONIN MECHANISMS IN COCAINE CRAVINGDEAN WONG; Fiscal Year: 2003..Testing of these hypotheses will provide novel and fundamental answers to craving mechanisms. ..
- Mechanisms for Hormone-Dependent NF-kB ActivationAllan Brasier; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will identify new therapeutic targets that can disrupt the vicious cycle of inflammation and atherosclerosis. ..
- Medical Image Perception Society Confrence XIElizabeth Krupinski; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Melatonin Randomized Trial in Insomnia in the ElderlyNalaka Gooneratne; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- CHRONIC BENZODIAZEPINES: BEHAVIOR AND NEUROCHEMISTRYDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Pretest Probability Assessment for Pulmonary EmbolismJEFFREY KLINE; Fiscal Year: 2005..In phase III, we will test the validity of the PE PREtest Consult TM and determine if the use of the PE PREtest ConsultTM will decrease unnecessary testing for PE. ..
- ANTIOXIDANTS AND FEMALE HORMONES IN THE ETIOLOGY OF RAElizabeth Karlson; Fiscal Year: 2002..RA will be confirmed by a screening questionnaire regarding rheumatic symptoms and review of medical records. The study will identify potentially modifiable risk factors for primary prevention of RA. ..
- ALCOHOLISM AND ENDOGENOUS OPIOID ACTIVITYGary Wand; Fiscal Year: 2008..Fortype specifications, see instructions onpage 6.) RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS PageNumbers Face Page 1 Description, ..
- MIPS XII ConferenceElizabeth Krupinski; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Opioid and Cannabinoid Pharmacokinetic InteractionsDonald Abrams; Fiscal Year: 2007..Nausea and vomiting will be assessed daily via self-report. The study will be conducted over a 2-year period. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Localized modulation of RPE P-gp/MRP activity for back-of-the-eye drug deliverySoumyajit Majumdar; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Behavioral Effects of GHB in Healthy VolunteersALISON OLIVETO BEAUDOIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study will also potentially establish a standard methodology to characterize systematically the behavioral effects of GHB in humans. ..
- A Randomized Trial of Home Self-Efficacy EnhancementAnthony Jerant; Fiscal Year: 2007..The findings will help policymakers, payers, and providers identify which interventions to implement. ..
- TREATMENT OF BEHAVIORAL SYMPTOMS IN ALZHEIMERS DISEASEDavangere Devanand; Fiscal Year: 2001..These clinical data will be important in improving the management of AD patients with behavioral complications. ..
- Antipsychotic Discontinuation in Alzheimer s DiseaseDavangere Devanand; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results will be of considerable value to the practicing clinician and have substantial implications for the regulatory oversight of elder care. ..
- Prediction of Psychosis in Schizotypal AdolescentsElaine Walker; Fiscal Year: 2006..In the long-term, the research holds promise for yielding findings that have implications for our conceptualization of the prodromal course of schizophrenia and other psychoses, and for approaches to preventive intervention. ..
- Digoxin Chiral Isolates as Improved PharmaceuticalsJohn Somberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..The advantage would be a treatment for AF that did not cause cardiac augmentation and vasoconstriction or a treatment for CHF that does not cause heart rate slowing or conduction disturbances. ..
- ANDROGENIZED FEMALE AS A MODEL FOR P0LYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYDavid Abbott; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such results would offer novel insights into the origin and mechanism of PCOS, and would provide a unifying determinant for a multifactorial syndrome. ..
- Opioid Antagonist Discrimination: A Model of WithdrawalAlison Oliveto; Fiscal Year: 2011..This paradigm provides a sensitive, standard, objective, systematic method to identify potential agents for enhancing OW treatment which can be examined further in a detox protocol. ..
- Alcohol Intake on Insulin Sensitivity and Heart DiseaseSun Kim; Fiscal Year: 2006..Given the morbidity and mortality of insulin resistance and CVD, it becomes important to clarify the role of moderate alcohol consumption to both. ..
- Disulfiram for Cocaine Abuse in Metadone - PatientsAlison Oliveto; Fiscal Year: 2010..The prognostic relevance of other factors (e.g., sex, discounting behavior) will also be examined. ..
- EGR-1 AND SF-1 AND LH BETA PRODUCTIONYoel Sadovsky; Fiscal Year: 2003..However, our results are likely to shed light on mechanisms that lead to enhanced LHbeta expression, and they may therefore provide a framework for a novel therapeutic intervention. ..
- Health Effects of Violence Exposure Among Children Living in Urban EnvironmentsShakira Franco; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed research involves secondary data analysis conducted withing the Maternal-Infant Smoking Study of East Boston (MISSEB) Cohort (RJ Wright, PI) and will incorporate both social and environmental frameworks. ..
- IMMUNE MECHANISMS OF MIDDLE EAR DISEASEDavid Skoner; Fiscal Year: 2006..The primary hypothesis is that cytokine genotype is predictive of illness expression and of OM incidence during a documented RSV infection in young children. ..
- Host Polymorphisms and Uncomplicated MalariaSunil Parikh; Fiscal Year: 2008..Parikh will be able to utilize modern molecular epidemiology techniques to investigate human genetic factors underlying susceptibility to malaria and he will be well equipped for a career in academic research. ..
- Placental injury and adaptationYoel Sadovsky; Fiscal Year: 2008..Conclusions from our studies are likely to shed light on the mechanisms of villous injury, and may provide new tools to identify and manage IUGR and its sequelae. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gene Transfer to Facilitate Dose-Intensification in the Treatment of Pediatric B*Lars Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2007..We hypothesize this strategy will be well tolerated and allow for meaningful dose escalation through chemoprotection afforded by gene transfer into hematopoietic stem cells. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..