Genomes and Genes
Summary: Small-scale tests of methods and procedures to be used on a larger scale if the pilot study demonstrates that these methods and procedures can work.
Publications397 found, 100 shown here
- Design and analysis of pilot studies: recommendations for good practiceGillian A Lancaster
Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Liverpool, UK
J Eval Clin Pract 10:307-12. 2004..It will also safeguard against pilot studies being conducted simply because of small numbers of available patients...
- A tutorial on pilot studies: the what, why and howLehana Thabane
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton ON, Canada
BMC Med Res Methodol 10:1. 2010....
- What is a pilot or feasibility study? A review of current practice and editorial policyMubashir Arain
Health Services Research, ScHARR, University of Sheffield, Regent Court, Regent St, Sheffield S1 4DA, UK
BMC Med Res Methodol 10:67. 2010..We extended this survey to grant-awarding bodies and editors of medical journals to discover their policies regarding the function and reporting of pilot studies...
- Considerations in determining sample size for pilot studiesMelody A Hertzog
College of Nursing, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Lincoln Division, 1230 O Street, Suite 131, P O Box 880220, Lincoln, NE 68588 0220, USA
Res Nurs Health 31:180-91. 2008..Samples ranging in size from 10 to 40 per group are evaluated for their adequacy in providing estimates precise enough to meet a variety of possible aims. General sample size guidelines by type of aim are offered...
- Changes in neuronal activation patterns in response to androgen deprivation therapy: a pilot studyMonique M Cherrier
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
BMC Cancer 10:1. 2010..A common treatment option for men with prostate cancer is androgen deprivation therapy (ADT). However, men undergoing ADT may experience physical side effects, changes in quality of life and sometimes psychiatric and cognitive side effects...
- The Work Limitations QuestionnaireD Lerner
The Health Institute, Division of Clinical Care Research, New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Med Care 39:72-85. 2001..The objective of this work was to develop a psychometrically sound questionnaire for measuring the on-the-job impact of chronic health problems and/or treatment ("work limitations")...
- The FLARE intraoperative near-infrared fluorescence imaging system: a first-in-human clinical trial in breast cancer sentinel lymph node mappingSusan L Troyan
Breast Care Center, Department of Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 16:2943-52. 2009..The FLARE imaging system overcomes this major obstacle...
- Autologous mesenchymal stromal cells and kidney transplantation: a pilot study of safety and clinical feasibilityNorberto Perico
Transplant Research Center Chiara Cucchi de Alessandri e Gilberto Crespi, Department of Immunology and Transplantation, Ospedali Riuniti di Bergamo, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Centro Anna Maria Astori, Parco Scientifico Tecnologico Kilometro Rosso, via Stezzano 87, 24126 Bergamo, Italy
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:412-22. 2011..Mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) abrogate alloimmune response in vitro, suggesting a novel cell-based approach in transplantation. Moving this concept toward clinical application in organ transplantation should be critically assessed...
- Evaluation design of a reactivation care program to prevent functional loss in hospitalised elderly: a cohort study including a randomised controlled trialKirsten J E Asmus-Szepesi
Erasmus University Medical Centre, Department of Public Health, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Geriatr 11:36. 2011....
- Dissecting obesogenic environments: the development and application of a framework for identifying and prioritizing environmental interventions for obesityB Swinburn
Department of Community Health, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Prev Med 29:563-70. 1999....
- Results from the first three rounds of the Scottish demonstration pilot of FOBT screening for colorectal cancerR J C Steele
Department of Surgery, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Gut 58:530-5. 2009..To assess the effects of the first three rounds of a pilot colorectal screening programme based on guaiac faecal occult blood testing (gFOBT) and their implications for a national population-based programme...
- Effects of glucagon-like peptide-1 on endothelial function in type 2 diabetes patients with stable coronary artery diseaseThomas Nystrom
Dept of Internal Medicine, Stockholm South Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm SE 118 83, Sweden
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 287:E1209-15. 2004..This beneficial vascular effect of GLP-1 adds yet another salutary property of the peptide useful in diabetes treatment...
- Learning in a virtual world: experience with using second life for medical educationJohn Wiecha
Department of Family Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Med Internet Res 12:e1. 2010..Similarly, the use of virtual worlds for continuing health professional development appears to be largely unreported...
- Feasibility and usability of a text message-based program for diabetes self-management in an urban African-American populationJonathan J Dick
Section of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Diabetes Sci Technol 5:1246-54. 2011....
- Adverse events in British hospitals: preliminary retrospective record reviewC Vincent
Clinical Risk Unit, Department of Psychology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
BMJ 322:517-9. 2001..To examine the feasibility of detecting adverse events through record review in British hospitals and to make preliminary estimates of the incidence and costs of adverse events...
- Dispensary level pilot implementation of rapid diagnostic tests: an evaluation of RDT acceptance and usage by providers and patients--Tanzania, 2005Holly Ann Williams
International Emergency and Refugee Health Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Malar J 7:239. 2008..Without understanding operational issues or acceptance and usage by providers and patients, the costs of these tests may not be justified...
- Weight loss on the web: A pilot study comparing a structured behavioral intervention to a commercial programBeth Casey Gold
Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, University of Vermont, 250 Carrigan Wing, 109 Carrigan Drive, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:155-64. 2007..This study aimed to investigate the effectiveness of a structured behavioral weight loss website (VTrim) vs. a commercial weight loss website (eDiets.com)...
- Effects of locomotion training with assistance of a robot-driven gait orthosis in hemiparetic patients after stroke: a randomized controlled pilot studyBritta Husemann
Neurology Hospital Bad Aibling Germany, Kolbermoorer Str 72 83043 Bad Aibling, Germany
Stroke 38:349-54. 2007..To facilitate treadmill training of paraparetic patients, a robot-driven gait orthosis (Lokomat) was developed. We investigated the effects of the Lokomat when used with hemiparetic patients...
- Active travel to school and cardiovascular fitness in Danish children and adolescentsAshley R Cooper
Department of Exercise, Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
Med Sci Sports Exerc 38:1724-31. 2006..The purpose of this study was to investigate whether the way that children and adolescents travel to school is associated with level of cardiovascular fitness...
- Minocycline as adjunctive therapy for schizophrenia: an open-label studyTsuyoshi Miyaoka
Department of Psychiatry, Shimane University School of Medicine, Izumo, Japan
Clin Neuropharmacol 31:287-92. 2008....
- TNF-alpha modulation for treatment of Alzheimer's disease: a 6-month pilot studyEdward Tobinick
University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
MedGenMed 8:25. 2006..Current pharmacologic treatments for Alzheimer's disease (AD) do not prevent long-term clinical deterioration. Tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha, a proinflammatory cytokine, has been implicated in the pathogenesis of AD...
- Older adults' attitudes towards and perceptions of "smart home" technologies: a pilot studyGeorge Demiris
Department of Health Management and Informatics, School of Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Med Inform Internet Med 29:87-94. 2004..The study aim is to explore the perceptions and expectations of seniors in regard to "smart home" technology installed and operated in their homes with the purpose of improving their quality of life and/or monitoring their health status...
- Feasibility of collecting diary data from asthma patients through mobile phones and SMS (short message service): response rate analysis and focus group evaluation from a pilot studyJacob Anhøj
H S Unit for Patient Safety, Hvidovre, Denmark
J Med Internet Res 6:e42. 2004..The Internet has been suggested as a tool for the monitoring and self-management of asthma. However, in a recent study we found that a Web interface had some disadvantages and that users stopped using the application after a short while...
- Remote ischemic preconditioning regulates HIF-1α levels, apoptosis and inflammation in heart tissue of cardiosurgical patients: a pilot experimental studyMartin Albrecht
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Schwanenweg 21, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Basic Res Cardiol 108:314. 2013..05 vs. control before CPB). In summary, RIPC regulates HIF-1α levels, apoptosis and inflammation in the myocardium of cardiosurgical patients and leads to increased concentrations of circulating cytokines...
- Cardiac surgical experience in northern NigeriaJ Nwiloh
Section of Cardiothoracic Surgery, St Joseph s Hospital, Atlanta, GA, USA
Cardiovasc J Afr 23:432-4. 2012..This preliminary result has further stimulated the interest of all stakeholders on the urgency to establish open-heart surgery as part of the armamentarium to combat the ravages of heart diseases in northern Nigeria...
- Pregnancy planning in Sweden--a pilot study among 270 women attending antenatal clinicsTanja Tyden
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 90:408-12. 2011..The aim of this pilot study was to investigate whether and how women plan their pregnancies...
- An open study of botulinum-A toxin treatment of trigeminal neuralgiaE J Piovesan
Neurology Division, Internal Medicine Department, Hospital de Clinicas, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, Brazil
Neurology 65:1306-8. 2005..Therefore, BoNT/A is an efficient treatment. There were no major side effects. A placebo-controlled clinical trial is needed to confirm these findings...
- Statistical power calculationsR V Lenth
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Anim Sci 85:E24-9. 2007..Third, rarely can a definitive study be done without first doing a pilot study. Some simple examples as well as a complex example are given. Power calculations are illustrated using Java applets developed by the author...
- Optimal sample sizes for phase II clinical trials and pilot studiesNigel Stallard
Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, UK
Stat Med 31:1031-42. 2012..03 times that planned to be included in the phase III study. This is similar to that proposed by other researchers in this area, though rather smaller than actually used for many phase II trials...
- Feasibility trial evaluation of a physical activity and screen-viewing course for parents of 6 to 8 year-old children: TeamplayRussell Jago
Centre for Exercise, Nutrition and Health Sciences, School for Policy Studies, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 10:31. 2013..Parents are important influences on children's PA and screen-viewing (SV). There is a shortage of parent-focused interventions to change children's PA and SV...
- Caution regarding the use of pilot studies to guide power calculations for study proposalsHelena Chmura Kraemer
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif 94305, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:484-9. 2006..The argument herein is not meant to discourage clinical researchers from performing pilot studies (or review committees from requiring them) but simply to caution against their use for the objective of guiding power calculations...
- A novel dietary intervention to optimize vitamin E intake of pregnant women to 15 mg/dayJulia Clark
Public Health Nutrition Research Group, Health Sciences Building, First Floor, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
J Acad Nutr Diet 112:297-301. 2012..The methodology used in the design of this novel food-based intervention could be transferred to other nutrients...
- Imaging of basal cell carcinoma by high-definition optical coherence tomography: histomorphological correlation. A pilot studyM A L M Boone
Department of Dermatology, Hopital Erasme, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Br J Dermatol 167:856-64. 2012....
- The role and interpretation of pilot studies in clinical researchAndrew C Leon
Weill Cornell Medical College, Department of Psychiatry, Box 140, 525 East 68th Street, New York, NY 10065, USA
J Psychiatr Res 45:626-9. 2011..Investigators should be forthright in stating these objectives of a pilot study. Grant reviewers and other stakeholders should expect no more...
- Using crowdsourcing technology for testing multilingual public health promotion materialsAnne M Turner
Department of Health Services, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
J Med Internet Res 14:e79. 2012..As a result, adequate feedback from target populations is often insufficient due to the time and resource constraints characteristic to public health...
- Riboflavin/ultraviolet-a-induced collagen crosslinking for the treatment of keratoconusGregor Wollensak
Department of Ophthalmology, Technical University of Dresden, Germany
Am J Ophthalmol 135:620-7. 2003..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the clinical usefulness of riboflavin/UVA-induced collagen crosslinking for bringing the progression of keratoconus to a halt...
- Reducing at-risk adolescents' display of risk behavior on a social networking web site: a randomized controlled pilot intervention trialMegan A Moreno
MSEd, Department of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin Madison, 600 Highland Ave, CSC H4 444, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 163:35-41. 2009..To determine whether an online intervention reduces references to sex and substance abuse on social networking Web sites among at-risk adolescents...
- Text2Quit: results from a pilot test of a personalized, interactive mobile health smoking cessation programLorien C Abroms
The George Washington University, Washington, District of Columbia 20037, USA
J Health Commun 17:44-53. 2012..Future studies are recommended that identify the value of the interactive and personalized features that characterize this program...
- Oral fish oil supplementation raises blood omega-3 levels and lowers C-reactive protein in haemodialysis patients--a pilot studyAkber Saifullah
Division of Nephrology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis IN, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:3561-7. 2007....
- Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for treatment-resistant depression: a pilot studyStuart J Eisendrath
Psychother Psychosom 77:319-20. 2008
- Computerized working memory training after stroke--a pilot studyH Westerberg
Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm
Brain Inj 21:21-9. 2007..To examine the effects of working memory (WM) training in adult patients with stroke...
- Oxidative stress biomarkers in sporadic ALSHiroshi Mitsumoto
Eleanor and Lou Gehrig MDA ALS Research Center, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 9:177-83. 2008..ELISA may be reliable and thus useful in epidemiology studies requiring large numbers of samples to determine the significance of increased oxidative stress markers in SALS. Further studies are required...
- A pilot of a video game (DDR) to promote physical activity and decrease sedentary screen timeAnn E Maloney
Department of Psychiatry, Center for Psychiatric Research, Maine Medical Center Research Institute, Scarborough, Maine, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:2074-80. 2008..We examined the feasibility of Dance Dance Revolution (DDR), a dance video game, in participants' homes, to increase physical activity (PA) and to decrease sedentary screen time (SST)...
- Mobile phone-based telemonitoring for heart failure management: a randomized controlled trialEmily Seto
Centre for Global eHealth Innovation, University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Med Internet Res 14:e31. 2012..Mobile phones are becoming ubiquitous and economical, but the feasibility and efficacy of a mobile phone-based telemonitoring system have not been determined...
- Increasing supplemental nutrition assistance program/electronic benefits transfer sales at farmers' markets with vendor-operated wireless point-of-sale terminalsAlison M Buttenheim
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, 418 Curie Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Acad Nutr Diet 112:636-41. 2012..It is not known whether providing each farmer/vendor with individual wireless POS terminals and subsidizing EBT fees will increase SNAP/EBT purchases at farmers' markets...
- A pilot church-based weight loss program for African-American adults using church members as health educators: a comparison of individual and group interventionBetty M Kennedy
Health Behavior Dept, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, 6400 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Ethn Dis 15:373-8. 2005..The purpose of this study was to examine a church-based intervention employing a 6-month pilot weight loss program as a strategy to improve health of African-American adults...
- Using text messaging to prevent relapse to smoking: intervention development, practicability and client reactionsSarah Snuggs
Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
Addiction 107:39-44. 2012....
- Using GPS-enabled cell phones to track the travel patterns of adolescentsSarah E Wiehe
Children s Health Services Research, Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, 410 West 10th Street, HS1020, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Int J Health Geogr 7:22. 2008..For example, health-related behaviors such as cigarette smoking often occur in specific places where smoking may be relatively surreptitious...
- Adolescents living the 24/7 lifestyle: effects of caffeine and technology on sleep duration and daytime functioningChristina J Calamaro
College of Nursing and Allied Professions, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Pediatrics 123:e1005-10. 2009..We hypothesized that with increased technology use, adolescents increase caffeine consumption, resulting in insufficient sleep duration...
- Integrated smoking cessation and binge drinking intervention for young adults: a pilot investigationSteven C Ames
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Mayo Clinic, 4500 San Pablo Road, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Ann Behav Med 40:343-9. 2010..Alcohol consumption is strongly associated with cigarette smoking in young adults...
- Sensorimotor disturbances in chronic neck pain--range of motion, peak velocity, smoothness of movement, and repositioning acuityPer Sjölander
Southern Lapland Research Department, Postgatan 7, SE 912 32 Vilhelmina, Sweden
Man Ther 13:122-31. 2008..The observed individuality in sensorimotor disturbances emphasizes the importance of developing specific rehabilitation programs for specific dysfunctions, and of using objective and quantitative methods for evaluation of rehabilitation...
- Effect of 6-week course of glucagon-like peptide 1 on glycaemic control, insulin sensitivity, and beta-cell function in type 2 diabetes: a parallel-group studyMette Zander
Department of Medical Physiology, Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Lancet 359:824-30. 2002..Glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) has been proposed as a treatment for type 2 diabetes. We have investigated the long-term effects of continuous administration of this peptide hormone in a 6-week pilot study...
- Validation of a scale for rating the delivery of psycho-social treatments for alcohol dependence and misuse: the UKATT Process Rating Scale (PRS)Gillian Tober
Leeds Addiction Unit, Leeds Partnerships NHS Foundation Trust, Leeds, UK
Alcohol Alcohol 43:675-82. 2008....
- HealthMpowerment.org: feasibility and acceptability of delivering an internet intervention to young Black men who have sex with menLisa B Hightow-Weidman
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, UNC School of Medicine, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
AIDS Care 24:910-20. 2012..Future trials, combining Internet and mobile phone technologies, are planned to test HMP among larger and more diverse populations of young BMSM...
- Repellent plants provide affordable natural screening to prevent mosquito house entry in tropical rural settings--results from a pilot efficacy studyFrank C Mng'ong'o
Concern Worldwide Tanzania, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
PLoS ONE 6:e25927. 2011..Providing sufficient plants for one home costs US $1.50 including maintenance and labour costs, (30 cents per person). L. camara mode of action and suitability for mosquito control is discussed...
- Immunomodulating therapy with intravenous immunoglobulin in patients with chronic heart failureL Gullestad
Department of Cardiology, Medical Department, Rikshospitalet, Oslo, Norway
Circulation 103:220-5. 2001..This effect was significantly correlated with an improvement in LVEF, suggesting a potential for immunomodulating therapy in addition to optimal conventional cardiovascular treatment regimens in CHF patients...
- Internet intervention for increasing physical activity in persons with multiple sclerosisRobert W Motl
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, IL 61801, USA
Mult Scler 17:116-28. 2011..Physical activity has been associated with improvements in walking mobility and quality of life in persons with multiple sclerosis (MS), and yet this population is largely sedentary and inactive compared with the general population...
- A pilot school-based healthy eating and physical activity intervention improves diet, food knowledge, and self-efficacy for native Canadian childrenBrit I Saksvig
Department of Kinesiology, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Nutr 135:2392-8. 2005..This program was associated with improved knowledge and the psychosocial factors related to healthy eating and dietary fiber intake of students in a remote First Nations community...
- Effect of electronic time monitors on children's television watching: pilot trial of a home-based interventionCliona Ni Mhurchu
Clinical Trials Research Unit, School of Population Health, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019 Auckland, New Zealand
Prev Med 49:413-7. 2009..This pilot study evaluated the feasibility (recruitment, retention, and acceptability) and preliminary efficacy of a six-week home-based electronic time monitor intervention on New Zealand children's television watching in 2008...
- Initial assessment of a new instrument to measure quality of life at the end of lifeKaren E Steinhauser
Program on the Medical Encounter and Palliative Care, Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27705, USA
J Palliat Med 5:829-41. 2002..We conducted this study to pilot a new multidimensional instrument to assess the quality of life at the end of life...
- Phase 1 pilot study of e-mail support for people with long term conditions using the InternetBryony Sheaves
Faculty of Health, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, PL4 8AA, UK
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 11:20. 2011..The aim of this pilot study was to develop an intervention and test methods for a definitive randomised controlled trial (RCT) of anonymous personal online email support for patients in this latter group...
- Diagnostic and treatment concordance between a physiotherapist and an orthopedic surgeon--a pilot studyAlice B Aiken
School of Rehabilitation Therapy, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Interprof Care 22:253-61. 2008..In a collaborative care context therefore, this study suggests, that physiotherapists have similar diagnostic capabilities to orthopedic surgeons, and they will enhance the conservative treatment options offered to orthopedic patients...
- Effectiveness of prehospital wireless transmission of electrocardiograms to a cardiologist via hand-held device for patients with acute myocardial infarction (from the Timely Intervention in Myocardial Emergency, NorthEast Experience [TIME-NE])George L Adams
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Am J Cardiol 98:1160-4. 2006....
- Salivary stress markers, stress, and periodontitis: a pilot studyBalwant Rai
Oral Imaging Center, School of Dentistry, Oral Pathology and Maxillofacial Surgery, Catholic University Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Periodontol 82:287-92. 2011..The present study is planned to explore the associations among periodontal disease, psychologic factors, and salivary markers of stress, psychoneuroimmunologic variables, and health behaviors...
- Recurrent meningioma: salvage therapy with long-acting somatostatin analogueMarc C Chamberlain
Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL, USA
Neurology 69:969-73. 2007..The addition of somatostatin inhibits meningioma growth in vitro in some studies. There have been anecdotal reports of octreotide inhibiting growth in meningiomas...
- Marketing to increase participation in a Web-based continuing medical education cultural competence curriculumCarlos A Estrada
Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Division of General Internal Medicine, 732 Faculty Office Tower, 510 20th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294 3407, USA
J Contin Educ Health Prof 31:21-7. 2011..The purpose of this study was to compare the impact of 2 marketing strategies in the context of an online CME cultural competence curriculum (www.c-comp.org)...
- Effect of valepotriates (valerian extract) in generalized anxiety disorder: a randomized placebo-controlled pilot studyRoberto Andreatini
Departamento de Farmacologia, Laboratório de Fsisiologia e Farmacologia do Sistema Nervoso Central, Universidade Federal do Parana, CP 19031, Curitiba, PR, Brazil, 81540 970
Phytother Res 16:650-4. 2002..However, since the number of subjects per group was very small, the present results must be viewed as preliminary. Thus, further studies addressing this issue are warranted...
- Reversing muscle and mobility deficits 1 to 4 years after TKA: a pilot studyPaul C LaStayo
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Utah, 520 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:1493-500. 2009..When the exercise mode focuses on eccentric resistance, the muscle growth response is greater as is the improvement in important mobility tasks...
- The consultation and relational empathy (CARE) measure: development and preliminary validation and reliability of an empathy-based consultation process measureStewart W Mercer
General Practice and Primary Care, Division of Community Based Sciences, University of Glasgow, 1 Horselethill Road, Glasgow G12 9LX, UK
Fam Pract 21:699-705. 2004..Empathy is a key aspect of the clinical encounter but there is a lack of patient-assessed measures suitable for general clinical settings...
- Who uses the patient internet portal? The PatientSite experienceSaul N Weingart
Stoneman Center for Quality Improvement, Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 13:91-5. 2006..Although the patient Internet portal is a potentially transformative technology, there is little scientific information about the demographic and clinical characteristics of portal enrollees and the features that they access...
- Pilot evaluation of the text4baby mobile health programWilliam Douglas Evans
School of Public Health and Health Services, The George Washington University, Washington, DC 20037, USA
BMC Public Health 12:1031. 2012..The purpose of this pilot evaluation study is to assess the efficacy of this text messaging campaign...
- Alternating electric fields arrest cell proliferation in animal tumor models and human brain tumorsEilon D Kirson
NovoCure Limited, Matam Advanced Technology Centre, Haifa 31905, Israel
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:10152-7. 2007..We conclude that TTFields are a safe and effective new treatment modality which effectively slows down tumor growth in vitro, in vivo and, as demonstrated here, in human cancer patients...
- omega-3 Fatty acid treatment of women with borderline personality disorder: a double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot studyMary C Zanarini
Laboratory for the Study of Adult Development, McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:167-9. 2003..The purpose of this study was to compare the efficacy of ethyl-eicosapentaenoic acid (E-EPA) and placebo in the treatment of female subjects with borderline personality disorder...
- Mobile phone-based remote patient monitoring system for management of hypertension in diabetic patientsAlexander G Logan
Prosserman Centre for Health Research, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Am J Hypertens 20:942-8. 2007..The objectives of this study were to develop and pilot-test a home BP tele-management system that actively engages patients in the process of care...
- Aerobic exercise for alcohol recovery: rationale, program description, and preliminary findingsRichard A Brown
Alpert Medical School of Brown University Butler Hospital, USA
Behav Modif 33:220-49. 2009..Preliminary data from a pilot study (N=19) are presented, and the overall significance of this research effort is discussed...
- Mobile direct observation treatment for tuberculosis patients: a technical feasibility pilot using mobile phones in Nairobi, KenyaJeffrey A Hoffman
Danya International, Ltd, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Am J Prev Med 39:78-80. 2010..Growth in mobile phone penetration has created new opportunities to reach and improve care to underserved, at-risk populations including those with tuberculosis (TB) or HIV/AIDS...
- Feasibility of a controlled trial aiming to prevent excessive pregnancy-related weight gain in primary health careTarja I Kinnunen
UKK Institute for Health Promotion Research, Tampere, Finland
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 8:37. 2008..Intervention studies aiming at preventing excessive pregnancy-related weight gain are needed. The feasibility of implementing such a study protocol in primary health care setting was evaluated in this pilot study...
- Utilization of the internet to deliver cardiac rehabilitation at a distance: a pilot studyAmber Zutz
School of Kinesiology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Telemed J E Health 13:323-30. 2007..The high user acceptance indicated that this program may have the potential to effectively manage patients who do not have access to traditional hospital-based CRP...
- Bisphenol a exposure in Mexico City and risk of prematurity: a pilot nested case control studyDavid Cantonwine
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Environ Health 9:62. 2010....
- Improving public health surveillance using a dual-frame survey of landline and cell phone numbersS Sean Hu
Office of Surveillance, Epidemiology and Laboratory Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2500 Century Parkway, MS E 97, Atlanta, GA 30345, USA
Am J Epidemiol 173:703-11. 2011..Use of a dual-frame survey of landline and cell phone numbers assisted the BRFSS efforts in obtaining valid, reliable, and representative data...
- Small bowel injury by low-dose enteric-coated aspirin and treatment with misoprostol: a pilot studyToshio Watanabe
Department of Gastroenterology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:1279-82. 2008..With capsule endoscopy, the ulcerogenic effect of low-dose enteric-coated aspirin on the small bowel and the therapeutic effect of misoprostol on intestinal injury were evaluated...
- Patient-cooperative strategies for robot-aided treadmill training: first experimental resultsRobert Riener
Rehabilitation Engineering Group, Automatic Control Laboratory, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 13:380-94. 2005..Further improvements of the technical design and additional clinical testing is required to prove whether the therapeutic outcome can be enhanced by such cooperative strategies...
- Mechanical ventilation guided by esophageal pressure in acute lung injuryDaniel Talmor
Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston 02215, USA
N Engl J Med 359:2095-104. 2008....
- Percutaneous needle fasciotomy in dupuytren's diseaseA L van Rijssen
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery, Isala Clinics, Zwolle, The Netherlands
J Hand Surg Br 31:498-501. 2006..This procedure has a good short-term effect. It may be suitable for patients who want a minimally invasive treatment and to whom long-term results are less important. It may also have a place in delaying fasciectomy...
- PET imaging of somatostatin receptors using [68GA]DOTA-D-Phe1-Tyr3-octreotide: first results in patients with meningiomasM Henze
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Nucl Med 42:1053-6. 2001..CONCLUSION: According to our initial experiences, [68Ga]DOTATOC seems to be a very promising new PET tracer for imaging SSTRs even in small meningiomas, offering excellent imaging properties and a very high tumor-to-background ratio...
- Obesity in Indian children: time trends and relationship with hypertensionManu Raj
Department of Paediatric Cardiology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Kochi, Kerala, India
Natl Med J India 20:288-93. 2007..We examined the time trends in childhood obesity in a representative sample of schoolchildren from Ernakulam District, Kerala and determined the relationship of obesity with blood pressure...
- Evaluation of a pilot school programme aimed at the prevention of obesity in childrenJ M Warren
Nutrition and Food Science Group, School of Biological and Molecular Sciences, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK
Health Promot Int 18:287-96. 2003..The ultimate goal of any such programme is to lead to positive behaviour change which will have a beneficial effect on long-term health. Successful targeting of the family remains a challenge to such interventions...
- Quantification of histochemical staining by color deconvolutionA C Ruifrok
Department of Pathology, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 23:291-9. 2001....
- A pilot study of activity-based therapy in the arm motor recovery post stroke: a randomized controlled trialMh Rabadi
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Clin Rehabil 22:1071-82. 2008....
- A conceptual framework for the OECD Health Care Quality Indicators ProjectOnyebuchi A Arah
Department of Social Medicine, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Qual Health Care 18:5-13. 2006....
- A randomized, controlled pilot study of a home-based exercise program for individuals with mild and moderate strokeP Duncan
Center on Aging, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160 7117, USA
Stroke 29:2055-60. 1998....
- Evaluating the supportive care costs of severe radiochemotherapy-induced mucositis and pharyngitis : results from a Northwestern University Costs of Cancer Program pilot study with head and neck and nonsmall cell lung cancer patients who received care at Narissa J Nonzee
Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center and Division of Hematology Oncology, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Cancer 113:1446-52. 2008..Few studies have examined the costs of supportive care for radiochemotherapy-induced mucosits/pharyngitis among patients with head and neck cancer (HNC) or lung cancers despite the documented negative clinical impact of these complications...
- Effectiveness of a universal school-based programme for preventing depression in Chinese adolescents: a quasi-experimental pilot studyPaul W C Wong
Department of Social Work and Social Administration, Faculty of Social Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
J Affect Disord 142:106-14. 2012....
- Text messaging to motivate walking in older African Americans: a randomized controlled trialBang Hyun Kim
Office of Minority Health and Health Disparities, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University, Washington DC 20003, USA
Am J Prev Med 44:71-5. 2013..Older minority populations can benefit from increased physical activity, especially walking. Text messaging interventions have the potential to encourage positive changes in health behavior in these groups...
- The Armeo Spring as training tool to improve upper limb functionality in multiple sclerosis: a pilot studyDomien Gijbels
REVAL Rehabilitation Research Center, Hasselt University, Agoralaan Building A, BE 3590 Diepenbeek, Belgium
J Neuroeng Rehabil 8:5. 2011..Consequently, this pilot study aimed to examine the feasibility of an 8-week mechanical-assisted training program for improving upper limb muscle strength and functional capacity in MS patients with evident paresis...
- Effectiveness of a brain-computer interface based programme for the treatment of ADHD: a pilot studyChoon Guan Lim
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Institute of Mental Health, Singapore
Psychopharmacol Bull 43:73-82. 2010..Both parent and teacher-rated inattentive score on the ADHD Rating Scale-IV improved more in the intervention group. A larger scale trial is warranted to further investigate the efficacy of our treatment programme in treating ADHD...
- Quality monitoring of nurse telephone triage: pilot studyDavid A Richards
Department of Health Sciences, University of York, Heslington, York, UK
J Adv Nurs 47:551-60. 2004..No studies have tested a routine method of assessing the quality of decision-making by triage nurses in primary care...
- Robot-assisted gait training for patients with hemiparesis due to strokeStanley Fisher
Methodist Neurological Institute, Houston, Texas, USA
Top Stroke Rehabil 18:269-76. 2011..It is concluded that RAGT may provide improvements in balance and gait comparable with conventional physical therapy. A larger multicenter trial is required to investigate the effectiveness of RAGT in hemiparetic stroke...
- The size of a pilot study for a clinical trial should be calculated in relation to considerations of precision and efficiencyJulius Sim
Arthritis Research UK Primary Care Centre, Keele University, Keele, Staffordshire, UK
J Clin Epidemiol 65:301-8. 2012..To investigate methods to determine the size of a pilot study to inform a power calculation for a randomized controlled trial (RCT) using an interval/ratio outcome measure...
- Assessing care of vulnerable elders--Alzheimer's disease: a pilot study of a practice redesign intervention to improve the quality of dementia careDavid B Reuben
Multicampus Program in Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, California, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:324-9. 2010..To determine whether a practice redesign intervention coupled with referral to local Alzheimer's Association chapters can improve the quality of dementia care...
- Suppression of implanted MDA-MB 231 human breast cancer growth in nude mice by dietary walnutW Elaine Hardman
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Marshall University School of Medicine, Huntington, West Virginia 25755, USA
Nutr Cancer 60:666-74. 2008..Tumor cell proliferation was decreased, but apoptosis was not altered due to walnut consumption. Further work is merited to investigate applications to cancer in humans...
- Hip Fracture Evaluation Alternatives of Total Hip vs Hemi-arthroplasty (HEALTH)Thomas Einhorn; Fiscal Year: 2009..Potential Impact: This trial will not only change current orthopaedic practice, but will set a benchmark for the conduct of future orthopaedic trials. ..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- Understanding/ Treating Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Pediatric Physical IllnessEva Szigethy; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Variation in M. tuberculosis in response to host selectionSarah Fortune; Fiscal Year: 2009..In these studies, we expect to provide fundamental insights into the mechanisms and targets of diversifying immune selection in M. tuberculosis. ..
- Serpin Modulation of Inflammatory Vasculitis; Potential for Immunomodulatory TherALEXANDRA ROSE LUCAS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therapy The broad challenge areas applicable for this research proposal are 1) 15-OD(ORDR)-101* Pilot projects for prevention, early detection and treatment of rare diseases, 2) 15-NS-104 Early-stage therapy development, ..
- Regulation of HSV-1 Gene Expression and Replication by Nuclear Hormone ReceptorsSHAOCHUNG VICTOR HSIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..The long-term goal is to identify the regulatory mechanisms to assist in the development of novel therapeutic protocols for better treatments. ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 2JM J TOOEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..resources;providing training in the effective use of electronic health information resources;and developing pilot projects to identify and promote the roles of libraries in institutions that have received or are seeking NIH Clinical ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 2JM J TOOEY; Fiscal Year: 2011..resources;providing training in the effective use of electronic health information resources;and developing pilot projects to identify and promote the roles of libraries in institutions that have received or are seeking NIH Clinical ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 2JM J TOOEY; Fiscal Year: 2012..resources;providing training in the effective use of electronic health information resources;and developing pilot projects to identify and promote the roles of libraries in institutions that have received or are seeking NIH Clinical ..
- Cardiovascular Responses to Sleep Apnea in Tetraplegia: A Pilot StudyJill M Wecht; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Correction of glutathione deficiency for treatment of diabetic nephropathyPaolo Fanti; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 3Ruth Holst; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 3Ruth Holst; Fiscal Year: 2012
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 3Ruth Holst; Fiscal Year: 2011
- Pilot and definitive studies to evaluate Insertional MutagenesisLU TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Studies to Evaluate the Toxicological Potential of Test ArticlesLU TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Behavioral Activation Therapy for Rural Veterans with Diabetes and DepressionAanand Dinkar Naik; Fiscal Year: 2013..As therapists are all advanced psychology graduate students, it is unclear whether individuals without such previous training can implement the intervention. This may hamper implementation efforts. ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 4HAMASU CLAIRE; Fiscal Year: 2012
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 8Javier Crespo; Fiscal Year: 2011
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 4HAMASU CLAIRE; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 4HAMASU CLAIRE; Fiscal Year: 2011
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 8Javier Crespo; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 8Javier Crespo; Fiscal Year: 2012
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 6CATHY BURROUGHS; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 6CATHY BURROUGHS; Fiscal Year: 2012
- Iron, Metabolic Regulation and Type 2 Diabetes RiskDonald A McClain; Fiscal Year: 2013..Initial exploration of mechanisms will include altered heme and NAD levels, the latter resulting in altered AMPK signaling. ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 6CATHY BURROUGHS; Fiscal Year: 2011
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 5MICHELLE MALIZIA; Fiscal Year: 2012
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 5MICHELLE MALIZIA; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 5MICHELLE MALIZIA; Fiscal Year: 2011
- Community Participation Research of Breastfeeding Disparities in African AmericanTamar Ringel Kulka; Fiscal Year: 2009..E.S.T (Breastfeeding, Education &Support Team) Alliance for Babies} and propose to conduct community participation research of breastfeeding disparities in African American women in Durham County, North Carolina. ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 7Julie Kwan; Fiscal Year: 2012
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 7Julie Kwan; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 7Julie Kwan; Fiscal Year: 2011
- A unique approach to identify markers for congenital syphilis and neurosyphilisNikhat Parveen; Fiscal Year: 2010..by applicant): Broad Challenge Area-Translational Science (15) Specific Challenge Topic- 15-OD(ORDR)-101*: Pilot projects for prevention, early detection and treatment of rare diseases, Syphilis is a chronic, multisystemic disease ..
- Cellular Immunity to Category A-C Viruses in HumansROBERT WILLIAM FINBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Core facilities will provide program administration/educational outreach, pilot projects funding, and centralized services for clinical studies (subject recruitment and characterization), flow ..
- Efficacy of Yoga for Treatment-Resistant PTSDBessel Van der Kolk; Fiscal Year: 2010..F., Spitz, A.M., Edwards, V., et al. (1997). Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults: The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study. Am J Preventive Med, 14, 245-258. ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 1BARBARA EPSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2011
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 1BARBARA EPSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2012
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 1BARBARA EPSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013
- C5a as an Anti-HIV Microbicidal CandidatePHILIPPE ANDRE GALLAY; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, protective results would provide proof-of-concept of the usefulness of topically applied microbicides, such as C5A, to prevent genital HIV transmission. ..
- VACCINE INDUCED IMMUNITY IN THE YOUNG AND AGEDRafi Ahmed; Fiscal Year: 2013..be a program for education of scientists aspiring to do human immunology research, and a mechanism for funding pilot projects in human immunology. RELEVANCE: Vaccination is the most effective means of preventing infectious disease...
- Effects of Standardized Aerobic Exercise-Training on Neurocognitive and NeurodegeThomas O Obisesan; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Intrathoracic Pressure Regulator for ResuscitationKeith G Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2011..As such, this new device has the potential to be an important new advance in treating life-threatening hypotension and thereby reduce civilian and military mortality rates. ..
- Characterizing TLR Function of Human Dendritic Cells in the ElderlyAlexander Panda; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Non-invasive zoonotic pathogen exposure and outcome biomarkers with follow-up inChristopher D Heaney; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Use of Interactive Gaming for Enhanced Function after Spinal Cord InjuryBEATRICE JENNY KIRATLI; Fiscal Year: 2011..Health maintenance and prevention of further disablement and chronic illness is a high priority for VHA. ..
- N-Acetylcysteine and Milk Thistle for Treatment of Diabetic NephropathyPaolo Fanti; Fiscal Year: 2011..Throughout the trial, we will monitor the safety and tolerability of this combination treatment. ..
- Improved Adventitial Sirolimus Therapy for Peripheral Artery RestenosisKIRK SEWARD; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Investigation of Occupational Exposure to and Infection by MRSA in Rural IowaTara Smith; Fiscal Year: 2012..We seek to determine how common MRSA colonization and infection are in Iowa livestock, and to determine if livestock exposure represents a new occupational risk factor for MRSA colonization and infection. ..
- Pilot Studies of the Effect of Aging on Mucociliary ClearanceLawrence E Ostrowski; Fiscal Year: 2013..The ion transport properties of the upper and lower airways wil be determined, as these are reflective of the hydration status of the ASL. Tissue samples from mice 3, 6, 12, and 24 months old will be studied in Ussing chambers. ..
- Dietary Supplement Creatine for Adolescent Females with SSRI-Resistant DepressionPERRY FRANKLIN RENSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, depression in women is linked to several major medical illnesses. Thus, a novel intervention for adolescent females with MDD has the potential to broadly impact public health, beyond the boundaries of psychiatry. ..
- A Culturally Tailored LIfestyle Intervention to Prevent Diabetes in South Asians:KABAYAM M VENKAT NARAYAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..The outcomes of this project could be used to plan larger interventions to prevent diabetes in South Asians, a rapidly growing segment of the US population. ..
- Exon capture and large-scale sequencing for disease-cause identification, early dFriedhelm Hildebrandt; Fiscal Year: 2010..This application addresses: Broad Challenge Area: (15) Translational Science Topic: 15-OD (ORDR)-101* Pilot projects for prevention, early detection and treatment of rare diseases...
- Vascular and Skeletal Muscle Function in Gulf War Veterans IllnessScott Kinlay; Fiscal Year: 2013..This Pilot study may also provide insights into other chronic illness characterized by fatigue and other musculoskeletal symptoms, such as peripheral vascular disease and congestive heart failure. ..
- METABOLISM, MICRONUTRIENTS, AND ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPY OUTCOMES IN ZAMBIADOUGLAS CORBETT HEIMBURGER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Future intervention trials will address these metabolic and nutritional issues, to reduce early ART mortality and improve ART outcomes in resource-constrained settings. ..
- Transcriptional Regulation of Natriuetic Sensitivity in Diabetes MellitusPATIENCE O OBIH; Fiscal Year: 2012..The information obtained from this study will enable the Principal Investigator to apply for competitive external grants like R01 in the future. ..
- A multicenter clinical trial of allopurinol to prevent GFR loss in T1DS MICHAEL MAUER; Fiscal Year: 2012..The reduction in morbidity and mortality resulting from this would have a major impact on the lives of T1D patients as well as on society at large, significantly reducing the human and financial costs associated with this condition. ..
- Heat Shock Effects on Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Differentiation in HydrogelSihong Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, the award of this pilot proposal will help to establish long term stem cell research in the Biomedical Engineering (BME) Department at the City College of New York (CCNY). ..
- Comparative Effectiveness of Medical Therapy vs. Bariatric Surgery for Obese T2DMDAVID BRADLEY contact LAUTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..Surgery for obesity often results in resolution of diabetes. This trial will compare the effectiveness of obesity surgery versus maximal medical management in resolving adult onset diabetes in a less obese population. ..
- Reversing Corticosteroid-Induced Memory ImpairmentE Sherwood Brown; Fiscal Year: 2013..The impact of lamotrigine on memory, mood, quality of life, structural imaging, and spectroscopy will be examined. ..
- Use of Phosphodiesterase Inhibitors to Evaluate the Pathobiology of CFJENNIFER L TAYLOR-COUSAR; Fiscal Year: 2013..develops during the period of this award, to design a large, multi-center trial to determine if systemic PDEi administration will improve lung function, frequency of exacerbations and exercise tolerance in CF lung disease ..
- Advanced Center for Latino and MH Systems ResearchMargarita Alegria; Fiscal Year: 2009..By the end of this pilot, we will have a sustainable group of advisors who will work together in the future implementation of the quality improvements identified through this pilot work. Center Core: ..
- Prenatal Exposures & Procarcinogenic MutationsManuela Orjuela; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, the ultimate goal of this research is to contribute to the prevention of future childhood ALL. ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF OXIDATION OF LDLSampath Parthasarathy; Fiscal Year: 1999..He also proposes to generate antibodies against specific dicarboxylic acid containing phospholipids. He will then determine whether such antibodies react against epitopes in oxidized LDL, plasma and atherosclerotic plaques. ..
- HIV-CNS Diseases and Parasitic Zoonoses in the Eastern Cape, South AfricaHELENE CARABIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Learning more about the parasitic infection/HIV interaction could better prevent neurological disease in people with HIV. ..
- Conservative Versus Dialytic Management in Stage V Chronic Kidney DiseaseGLENN MATTHEW CHERTOW; Fiscal Year: 2010..If this pilot trial demonstrates feasibility in randomizing patients to these two strategies, results from this pilot study can be used to inform the design of a larger, more definitive trial. ..
- Pilot Study: Self Management Groups for Veterans with Dual Sensory LossMITCHEL BRANT TURBIN; Fiscal Year: 2011..Results will guide the conduct of a followup randomized clinical trial that could provide VA with an evidence base and curriculum/technical manual for improving services to Veterans with DSL. ..
- Telehealth Tinnitus Intervention for Patients with TBIJAMES A contact HENRY; Fiscal Year: 2011..Adaptation of PTM as a home-based telehealth service has the potential of providing needed tinnitus services to Veterans with and without TBI for a relatively small cost and with minimal impact on individual VA hospitals. ..
- ESTABLISHMENT OF RESEARCH RESOURCEFOR THE IDENTIFICATION OF GENETIC AND ENVIRONMVAINORIOUS E; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Adapting Exercise Treatment for Depression to Adolescents: A Pilot StudyPHILIPPE WEINTRAUB; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- A Bi-Institutional Pilot Study of Vaccinations for Patients with Low Grade GliomaEdward G Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2010..The overall objective of this pilot study is to collect immunological and safety data that will be used to decide whether a larger study of clinical efficacy is warranted. ..
- Pilot Studies of Gene Therapy for Primary Ciliary DyskinesiaLawrence E Ostrowski; Fiscal Year: 2010..addresses broad Challenge Area (15) Translational Science and specific Challenge Topic, 15-OD(ORDR)-101: Pilot projects for prevention, early detection and treatment of rare diseases...
- Oral contraceptive use by formulation and breast cancer risk by subtypeDIANA SM BUIST; Fiscal Year: 2010..This area of research is critical given the high frequency of OC use, heterogeneity of OC formulations, changes in OC formulations over time, and the morbidity and mortality associated with different breast cancer subtypes. ..
- COCAINE, ALCOHOL, AND COCAETHYLENE--CLINICAL EFFECTSElinore McCance Katz; Fiscal Year: 2002..In total, these studies should provide significant contributions to the current state of knowledge regarding the epidemiology of cocaine-alcohol abuse and treatment of these disorders. ..
- COCAINE, ALCOHOL, AND COCAETHYLENE--CLINICAL EFFECTSElinore McCance Katz; Fiscal Year: 2000..In total, these studies should provide significant contributions to the current state of knowledge regarding the epidemiology of cocaine-alcohol abuse and treatment of these disorders. ..
- Transfusion Trigger Trial in Coronary Artery Disease: A Pilot StudyJEFFREY LEE CARSON; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- VARIABLES AFFECTING OSTOMY PATIENT OUTCOMEDebra Jackson; Fiscal Year: 1991..It is anticipated that these results may be of value in both the understanding of normal hematopoiesis, and ultimately in the understanding of the abnormal differentiation properties of leukemic cells...
- Stress and Neuroimmune Dysergulation in Chronic Fatigue PatientsKathleen Light; Fiscal Year: 2007..Together, these two pilot projects will provide a potentially invaluable initial test of new directions in both neuroimmune and genetic ..
- Treatment Retention Strategies in Transition Age YouthMaryann Davis; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Prophylaxis of adrenal insufficiency to prevent CLDKristi Watterberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..If this study confirms the benefits seen in the pilot study, it will result in a significant improvement in health care for premature infants, both by introducing a beneficial new therapy, and by avoiding higher dose dexamethasone. ..