- Transforming growth factor-beta 1 stimulates articular chondrocyte proteoglycan synthesis and induces osteophyte formation in the murine knee joint
H M van Beuningen
Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Lab Invest 71:279-90. 1994
..In an earlier study, we found no effect on cartilage proteoglycan metabolism shortly after a single intra-articular injection of TGF-beta 1. In the present study, we used multiple intra-articular injections and a longer time-scale...
- Efficacy and safety of a single intra-articular injection of non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid (NASHA) in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee
Roy D Altman
GRECC, Miami VAMC, Miami, FL, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 12:642-9. 2004
..This study compared the efficacy of a single injection of NASHA with placebo in patients with osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee...
- Postoperative analgesia in total hip arthroplasty: a randomized double-blinded, placebo-controlled study on peroperative and postoperative ropivacaine, ketorolac, and adrenaline wound infiltration
Lasse Juel Andersen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Odense University Hospital, Middelfart, Denmark
Acta Orthop 78:187-92. 2007
..Comfort and lack of pain are important for optimal mobilization after hip replacement. We investigated the efficacy of double wound infiltration...
- Intra-articular therapy in osteoarthritis
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
Postgrad Med J 79:449-53. 2003
..The virtual absence of serious side effects, coupled with the perceived benefits, make these approaches attractive...
- Intraarticular drug delivery in osteoarthritis
Bone and Cartilage Research, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Novartis Pharma AG, WKL 125 13 59, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 58:226-42. 2006
..The development of novel drugs in combination with new formulations for IA treatment of OA, represents a promising approach in this challenging area of research...
- Comparison of peri- and intraarticular analgesia with femoral nerve block after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized clinical trial
Department of Anesthesiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Acta Orthop 78:172-9. 2007
..Postoperative pain after total knee arthroplasty (TKA) can be difficult to manage and may delay recovery. Recent studies have suggested that periarticular infiltration with local anesthetics may improve outcome...
- The targeting accuracy of subacromial injection to the shoulder: an arthrographic evaluation
Department of Orthopaedics, Kahoku Central Hospital, Japan
Arthroscopy 18:887-91. 2002
..The study goal was to examine the targeting accuracy of subacromial injection to the shoulder and the influence of the location of the injected structure...
- Controlling pain after total hip and knee arthroplasty using a multimodal protocol with local periarticular injections: a prospective randomized study
Hari K Parvataneni
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Arthroplasty 22:33-8. 2007
..Periarticular injection with a multimodal protocol was shown to safely provide excellent pain control and functional recovery and can be substituted for conventional pain control modalities...
- Hyaluronic acid attenuates osteoarthritis development in the anterior cruciate ligament-transected knee: Association with excitatory amino acid release in the joint dialysate
Yen Hsuan Jean
Graduate Institute of Medical Science, National Defense Medical Center, 325, Chenggung Road, Section 2, Neihu 114, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Orthop Res 24:1052-61. 2006
..This study suggests that the underlying mechanism of the anti-inflammatory effect of HA is to inhibit glutamate and aspartate release in ACLT knee joints, which attenuates the early development of OA...
- Ultrastructural findings after intraarticular application of hyaluronan in a canine model of arthropathy
Orthopaedic University Clinic Heidelberg, Germany
J Orthop Res 18:604-12. 2000
..Therefore, we conclude that the use of hyaluronan may be indicated during the early stages of chondromalacia...
- Moderation of iodoacetate-induced experimental osteoarthritis in rats by matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors
M J Janusz
Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 8700 Mason Montgomery Rd, Mason, Ohio 45040 9462, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 9:751-60. 2001
..To determine the effect of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) inhibitors in mono-iodoacetate-induced arthritis in rats...
- Aspiration and injection therapies for joints
H Ralph Schumacher
University of Pennsylvania and VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, USA
Arthritis Rheum 49:413-20. 2003
- A phase I/IIa study on intra-articular injection of holmium-166-chitosan complex for the treatment of knee synovitis of rheumatoid arthritis
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon-dong, Seodaemun-ku, 120-752, Seoul, Korea
Eur J Nucl Med 28:489-97. 2001
- Evaluation of therapeutic thoracic medial branch block effectiveness in chronic thoracic pain: a prospective outcome study with minimum 1-year follow up
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Kentucky 42003, USA
Pain Physician 9:97-105. 2006
..These interventions have not been evaluated in managing chronic thoracic pain of facet joint origin...
- The placebo effect and its determinants in osteoarthritis: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials
Academic Rheumatology, University of Nottingham, Clinical Sciences Building, City Hospital, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 67:1716-23. 2008
- Increases in lumbosacral injections in the Medicare population: 1994 to 2001
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98127, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1754-60. 2007
..Anecdotal reports and limited data suggest that the use of spinal injections is increasing, despite equivocal evidence about efficacy...
- Evaluation of the pituitary-adrenal axis function following single intraarticular injection of methylprednisolone
Ha Emek Medical Center, Afula, Israel
Arthritis Rheum 52:924-8. 2005
..To determine the effects of a single session of intraarticular methylprednisolone (IA-MP) injections on the function of the pituitary-adrenal axis...
- Reduced hospital stay and narcotic consumption, and improved mobilization with local and intraarticular infiltration after hip arthroplasty: a randomized clinical trial of an intraarticular technique versus epidural infusion in 80 patients
Karen V Andersen
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Acta Orthop 78:180-6. 2007
..We compared wound infiltration combined with intraarticular injection of local anesthetics for pain relief after total hip arthroplasty (THA) with the well-established practice of epidural infusion...
- Chondroprotective activity of N-acetylglucosamine in rabbits with experimental osteoarthritis
A R Shikhman
Division of Arthritis Research, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 64:89-94. 2005
..To examine the therapeutic efficacy of N-acetylglucosamine (GlcNAc) in rabbits with experimental osteoarthritis (OA)...
- A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study to evaluate the efficacy of intraarticular hyaluronic acid for osteoarthritis of the knee
Robert J Petrella
Department of Family Medicin, Schulich School of Medicine and School of Kinesiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Rheumatol 33:951-6. 2006
- [Safety profile of 185 ultrasound-guided intra-articular injections for treatment of rheumatic diseases of the hip]
Dipartimento Medicina Interna, Ospedale S Pietro Fatebenefratelli, Rome, Italy
Reumatismo 56:104-9. 2004
..The purpose of this study was to examine the safety of this technique in an extended series of patients...
- Changes in sagittal ground reaction forces after intra-articular hyaluronate injections for knee osteoarthritis
Simon F Tang
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 5 Fu Hsin Street, Kwei Shan, Tao Yuan 333, Taiwan
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:951-5. 2004
..To examine the gait patterns and the sagittal ground reaction forces (GRFs) in persons with knee osteoarthritis (OA) after intra-articular injection of hyaluronate and to investigate the duration of its treatment effectiveness...
- Safety and efficacy of ultrasound-guided intra-articular hylan G-F 20 injection in osteoarthritis of the hip: a pilot study
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department, Ankara Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 25:341-4. 2005
- Injectable corticosteroids in modern practice
Brian J Cole
Rush Cartilage Restoration Center, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 13:37-46. 2005
..The accuracy of injections affects outcomes. Postinjection flare, facial flushing, and skin and fat atrophy are the most common side effects. Systemic complications of injectable corticosteroids are rare...
- Clinical experience with the effectiveness and tolerability of hylan G-F 20 in 1047 patients with osteoarthritis of the knee
David D Waddell
Orthopedic Specialists of Louisiana, Shreveport 71103, USA
J Knee Surg 19:19-27. 2006
..3% of injections. Our clinical experience shows that hylan G-F 20 effectively relieves osteoarthritis knee pain (as indicated) and reduces pain medication needed for up to 6 months with a low incidence of local adverse events...
- Aids to successful shoulder arthrography performed with a fluoroscopically guided anterior approach
Jon A Jacobson
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, TC 2910G, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0326, USA
Radiographics 23:373-8; discussion 379. 2003
..Proper patient and needle positioning as well as accurate confirmation of intraarticular needle placement are critical to a successful and atraumatic shoulder arthrographic examination...
- Intra-articular treatment of hip osteoarthritis: a randomized trial of hyaluronic acid, corticosteroid, and isotonic saline
The Parker Institute, Frederiksberg Hospital, Nordre Fasanvej 57, DK 2000 Copenhagen F, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 14:163-70. 2006
..Hyaluronic acid (HA) and corticosteroids are both widely used for intra-articular treatment of knee osteoarthritis (OA). We examined the effect of both drugs in intra-articular treatment for hip OA...
- Intra-articular injections of hylan G-F 20 in patients with symptomatic hip osteoarthritis: an open-label, multicentre, pilot study
Department of Rheumatology, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre Benite, France
Clin Exp Rheumatol 21:605-10. 2003
..To obtain prospective data on feasibility and safety of intra-articular injections of hylan G-F20 in patients with symptomatic hip osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Corticosteroid injections for painful shoulder: a meta-analysis
Department of General Practice and Primary Health Care, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, PB 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Br J Gen Pract 55:224-8. 2005
..There are no systematic reviews of corticosteroids for shoulder pain that calculate the numbers needed to treat...
- Improvement of muscle strength in osteoarthritic knee patients after intraarticular knee injection of hyaluronan
Simon F T Tang
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taiwan
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 84:274-7. 2005
..The objective of this study was to investigate whether the knee concentric and eccentric muscle strengths can be improved in patients with bilateral knee osteoarthritis after intraarticular hyaluronan injections...
- Arthrography of the shoulder: a simple fluoroscopically guided approach for targeting the rotator cuff interval
Radiology Department, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hopital Saint Luc, 1058 Saint Denis St, Montreal, QC H2X 3J4, Canada
AJR Am J Roentgenol 182:329-32. 2004
..The objective of this article is to describe a simplified fluoroscopically guided technique of shoulder joint injection that uses the rotator cuff interval...
- Comparison of the efficacy of lower and higher molecular weight viscosupplementation in the treatment of hip osteoarthritis
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine, University of Celal Bayar, Manisa, Turkey
Clin Rheumatol 24:244-50. 2005
..However, no significant difference was found in outcomes between higher and lower molecular weight hyaluronan...
- Cushing's syndrome after intra-articular and intradermal administration of triamcinolone acetonide in three pediatric patients
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Pediatrics 113:1820-4. 2004
..Intra-articular and intradermal steroids are often used for their antiinflammatory effect. There is limited experience with intra-articular and intralesional administration of corticosteroids in the pediatric age group...
- Randomised controlled trial of single, subacromial injection of methylprednisolone in patients with persistent, post-traumatic impingment of the shoulder
J J McInerney
Emergency Department, Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Dublin, Republic of Ireland Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester, UK
Emerg Med J 20:218-21. 2003
..To evaluate the impact on recovery, of single subacromial injection of methylprednisolone in patients with persistent, post-traumatic impingement of the shoulder...
- Accuracy and dispersal of subacromial and glenohumeral injections in cadavers
Teesside Centre for Rehabilitation Sciences, The James Cook University Hospital, University of Teesside, Middlesbrough, TS4 3BW, UK
J Rheumatol 33:1143-6. 2006
..Blind" shoulder injections are often inaccurate and infiltrate untargeted structures. We tested a hypothesis that optimizing certain anatomical and positional factors would improve accuracy and reduce dispersal...
- Lumbar zygapophysial (facet) joint injections
P H Dreyfuss
Neuro Skeletal Center, Tyler, Texas USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2040-7. 1995
..The need for future studies is addressed, and current recommendations for the role of zygapophysial joint injection procedures based on this critical scientific review are provided...
- Systematic review of diagnostic utility of facet (zygapophysial) joint injections in chronic spinal pain: an update
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53595, USA
Pain Physician 10:213-28. 2007
..There is, however, no available gold standard to measure presence or absence of pain. Hence, there is a degree of uncertainty concerning the accuracy of diagnostic facet joint injections...
- The ability of computed tomography to identify a painful zygapophysial joint in patients with chronic low back pain
A C Schwarzer
Faculty of Medicine, University of Newcastle, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:907-12. 1995
..CONCLUSIONS. Computed tomography has no place in the diagnosis of lumbar zygapophysial joint pain...
- Guidance by ultrasound of intra-articular injections in the knee and hip joints
The Parker Institute, Department of Rheumatology, H:S Frederiksberg Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 9:512-7. 2001
..The method is proposed as a tool for both learning purposes and quality assurance in daily therapy...
- Hyaluronan suppressed nitric oxide production in the meniscus and synovium of rabbit osteoarthritis model
Department of Orthopedics, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093-0630, USA
J Orthop Res 19:500-3. 2001
..The results suggest that the inhibition of NO production in meniscus and synovium might be a part of the mechanism of the therapeutic effect of HA on OA...
- Intra-articular sodium hyaluronate in osteoarthritis of the knee
R D Altman
Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, University of Miami School of Medicine, and the Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, VA Hospital, FL, USA
Semin Arthritis Rheum 30:11-8. 2000
..To better understand the therapeutic role of HA, this review focuses on comparative clinical trial data...
- Intra-articular injection of collagenase induces experimental osteoarthritis in mature rabbits
Shiseido Pharmaceutical Research Laboratories, Kanagawa, Japan
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 6:177-86. 1998
..The induction of osteoarthritis-like changes by intra-articular injections of collagenase in the knee joint of mature rabbits was examined...
- Safety and efficacy of long-term intraarticular steroid injections in osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
Jean Pierre Raynauld
Hopital Notre Dame, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 48:370-7. 2003
..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of long-term intraarticular (IA) steroid injections for knee pain related to osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Intra-articular injection of high molecular weight hyaluronan after arthrocentesis as treatment for rheumatoid knees with joint effusion
Rheumatology Unit, Sapporo Gorinbashi Orthopedic Hospital in Gorinbashi Hospitals, 2 1, Kawazoe, Minami Ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 005 0802, Japan
Rheumatol Int 22:151-4. 2002
- Effects of intra-articular hylan G-F 20 injections on clinical and biomechanical characteristics of the knee in osteoarthritis
Ankara University Medical School, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Rehabil Res 28:371-4. 2005
..In conclusion, intra-articular Hylan G-F 20 injections not only decrease pain in patients with knee osteoarthritis, but can alter the natural history of the disease by decreasing excessive loads in the knees...
- Viscosupplementation in symptomatic severe hip osteoarthritis: a review of the literature and report on 60 patients
Michel P J van den Bekerom
University Hospital Pellenberg, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Orthop Belg 72:560-8. 2006
..In this article we present a literature review on the subject and report the results in 60 patients who received intraarticular viscosupplementation of the hip with the objective to delay total hip replacement surgery...
- Is local subacromial corticosteroid injection beneficial in subacromial impingement syndrome?
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department, Cerrahpasa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Clin Rheumatol 23:496-500. 2004
..We found that subacromial corticosteroid injections in the acute or subacute phase of SIS provided additional short-term benefit without any complication when used together with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and exercise...
- Intraarticular sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan) in the treatment of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized clinical trial. Hyalgan Study Group
R D Altman
Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, University of Miami, Florida, USA
J Rheumatol 25:2203-12. 1998
..To determine efficacy and safety of intraarticular (IA) hyaluronic acid (HA; Hyalgan) versus placebo and a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug for osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee...
- Long-term effect of sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan) on osteoarthritis progression in a rabbit model
Department of Orthopaedics, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093 0630, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 11:636-43. 2003
..One of the currently available products is approved for repeat treatment courses. While HA is classed as a symptom-modifying agent, there is substantial evidence that this therapeutic modality also possesses disease-modifying activity...
- Intra-articular hyaluronan injections for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, double blind, placebo controlled study
Department of Orthopedics, Assaf Harofe Hospital, Zerifin, Israel
Clin Exp Rheumatol 19:265-70. 2001
..It appears that HA with high molecular weights (HMW) are more effective than low molecular weight HA polymers...
- Reduced hospital stay, morphine consumption, and pain intensity with local infiltration analgesia after unicompartmental knee arthroplasty
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Orthop 80:213-9. 2009
..The degree of postoperative pain is usually moderate to severe following knee arthroplasty. We investigated the efficacy of local administration of analgesics into the operating area, both intraoperatively and postoperatively...
- Hyaluronic acid for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: long-term outcomes from a naturalistic primary care experience
Robert J Petrella
Department of Family Medicine, University of Western Ontario, Ontario, Canada
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 84:278-83; quiz 284, 293. 2005
..Intraarticular hyaluronic acid is indicated for patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. However, clinical experience, especially efficacy and adverse events, with repeated injection series in the long term are limited...
- Low back pain: prediction of short-term outcome of facet joint injection with bone scintigraphy
Spiros G Pneumaticos
Institute of Spinal Disorders, Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery and Radiology, Baylor College of Medicine 6550 Fannin, Suite 2525, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Radiology 238:693-8. 2006
..To prospectively evaluate use of bone scintigraphy with single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) for identification of patients with low back pain who would benefit from facet joint injections...
- Efficacy of periarticular multimodal drug injection in total knee arthroplasty. A randomized trial
Constant A Busch
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:959-63. 2006
..Good perioperative analgesia facilitates rehabilitation, improves patient satisfaction, and may reduce the hospital stay. We investigated the analgesic effect of locally injected drugs around a total knee prosthesis...
- A randomized comparative study of short term response to blind injection versus sonographic-guided injection of local corticosteroids in patients with painful shoulder
Department of Rheumatology, The Research Unit, and The Epidemiology Unit, Severo Ochoa Hospital, Madrid, Spain
J Rheumatol 31:308-14. 2004
..We prospectively compared the short term response to randomized blind injection versus sonographic-guided injection of local corticosteroid in patients with painful shoulder...
- Surgical decompression versus local steroid injection in carpal tunnel syndrome: a one-year, prospective, randomized, open, controlled clinical trial
Primary Care Unit Gandhi, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 52:612-9. 2005
..Optimal treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) has not been established. This study compared the effects of local steroid injection versus surgical decompression in new-onset CTS of at least 3 months' duration...
- Accuracy of anterior intra-articular injection of the glenohumeral joint
Paul M Sethi
Orthopedic and Neurosurgical Specialists, Greenwich, Connecticut 06830, USA
Arthroscopy 21:77-80. 2005
..This study assessed the accuracy of an anterior intra-articular injection in awake subjects without radiologic assistance...
- Ultrasound-guided facet joint injections in the middle to lower cervical spine: a CT-controlled sonoanatomic study
Clinic of Neurosurgery, Innsbruck Medical University, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Clin J Pain 22:538-43. 2006
..The aim of this study was to investigate the efficacy of ultrasound as a guiding tool for simulated cervical facet joint injections in cadavers...
- Use of injections for osteoarthritis in joints and sports activity
Jason C Snibbe
Kerlan Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic, 6801 Park Terrace, Los Angeles, CA 90045, USA
Clin Sports Med 24:83-91. 2005
..Viscosupplementation has gained popularity in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Intraarticular injections of hyaluronic acid have shown to decrease pain and improve functional outcomes...
- Prospective, multi-centre, randomised evaluation of the safety and efficacy of five dosing regimens of viscosupplementation with hylan G-F 20 in patients with symptomatic tibio-femoral osteoarthritis: a pilot study
Department of Rheumatology, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre Benite, France
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 129:417-23. 2009
..The aim of this study was to assess different dosing regimens of hylan G-F 20, a high molecular-weight cross-linked derivative of HA, in the treatment of pain due to knee OA...
- Open pilot study of ultrasound-guided intra-articular injection of hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc) in the treatment of symptomatic hip osteoarthritis
Department of Internal Medicine, S Pietro Fatebenefratelli Hospital, via Cassia 600 Centro ricerche S Pietro AFaR, 00195, Rome, Italy
Clin Rheumatol 24:285-9. 2005
- Increased flexion and reduced hospital stay with continuous intraarticular morphine and ropivacaine after primary total knee replacement: open intervention study of efficacy and safety in 154 patients
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Hamlet Private Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Orthop Scand 75:606-9. 2004
..We have therefore studied the effect of continuous injection of morphine and ropivacaine after TKR on range of movement and length of hospital stay...
- Shoulder acute pain in primary healthcare: is retraining effective for GP principals? SAPPHIRE--a randomized controlled trial
Rheumatology and Rehabilitation Research Unit, University of Leeds, 36 Clarendon Road, Leeds LS2 9NZ, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 47:1795-802. 2008
..To address the question whether general practitioners (GPs) should receive practical training in shoulder problems and to test whether cortisone injections are better than anaesthetic injections for rotator cuff problems...
- Intra-articular hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc) in the management of patellofemoral osteoarthritis of the knee (POAK)
Rheumatology Unit, University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol BS2 8HW, UK
Knee 12:57-62. 2005
..5) with 95% confidence and 90% power. This would require a RCT of 104 patients to detect a 15-mm change in VAS (effect size 0.5) with 95% confidence and 90% power...
- The analgesic efficacy and safety of intra-articular morphine and mepivicaine following temporomandibular joint arthroplasty
John R Zuniga
Department of Surgery, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1477-85. 2007
..This study was designed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of intra-articular morphine, mepivacaine, or a combination of both in the management of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain in a 24-hour period after arthroplasty...
- Temporal variations in a modified Neer impingement test can confound clinical interpretation
John G Skedros
University of Utah Department of Orthopaedics, Utah Bone and Joint Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84107, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 460:130-6. 2007
..Assessing pain at 10 minutes for a Neer-type impingement test can fail to accurately determine a positive test in a substantial percentage of patients...
- Viscosupplementation therapy for osteoarthritis
Stephen F Brockmeier
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, 3800 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Sports Med Arthrosc 14:155-62. 2006
..This paper will review the development, experience, indications, and clinical outcomes of viscosupplementation therapy in patients with osteoarthritis...
- Viscosupplementation for knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review
Jon G Divine
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Research Foundation, Sports Medicine Biodynamics Center and Human Performance Laboratory, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 455:113-22. 2007
- Accuracy of intra-articular injection of the glenohumeral joint: a cadaveric study
Paul M Sethi
Orthopedic and Neurosurgical Specialists, Greenwich, Conn 06830, USA
Orthopedics 29:149-52. 2006
..75 positive predictive value. The posterior approach had a 50% accuracy rate and a .67 positive predictive value. Anterior injections produce a higher rate of accuracy than posterior injections...
- Different effects of high molecular weight sodium hyaluronate and NSAID on the progression of the cartilage degeneration in rabbit OA model
Product Research Department, Chugai Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Shizuoka, Japan
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 15:543-9. 2007
..We examined the effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) and intra-articular injections of sodium hyaluronate (HA) on cartilage degeneration in rabbit knee osteoarthritis (OA) model induced by partial meniscectomy...
- Sodium hyaluronate in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the ankle: a controlled, randomized, double-blind pilot study
Robert S Salk
Northern California Foot and Ankle Center, 45 Castro Street, Suite 315, San Francisco, CA 94114, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:295-302. 2006
- Intraarticular glucocorticoid treatment reduces inflammation in synovial cell infiltrations more efficiently than in synovial blood vessels
Erik af Klint
Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 52:3880-9. 2005
..To investigate whether intraarticular (IA) glucocorticoid (GC) therapy diminishes synovial cell infiltration, vascularity, expression of proinflammatory cytokines, and adhesion molecule levels in patients with chronic arthritides...
- The efficacy of subacromial corticosteroid injection in the treatment of rotator cuff disease: A systematic review
Michael C Koester
Orthopaedic Healthcare Northwest, Eugene, OR, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 15:3-11. 2007
..This systematic review of the available literature indicates that there is little reproducible evidence to support the efficacy of subacromial corticosteroid injection in managing rotator cuff disease...
- The symptomatic effects of intra-articular administration of hylan G-F 20 on osteoarthritis of the hip: clinical data of 6 months follow-up
Research Center S Pietro Hospital, Fatebenefratelli AFaR, Via Cassia 600, 00189 Rome, Italy
Clin Rheumatol 25:389-93. 2006
..The present observation suggests the potentiality for the safety and efficacy of hylan G-F 20 injected under US guidance in patients with symptomatic hip OA. Further controlled studies are needed...
- A cost consequences analysis of local corticosteroid injection and physiotherapy for the treatment of new episodes of unilateral shoulder pain in primary care
Centre for Health Planning and Management, Keele University, Keele, Staffordshire ST5 5BG, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:1447-51. 2005
- MR arthrography of the glenohumeral joint: modified posterior approach without imaging guidance
Onofrio A Catalano
Department of Radiology, AO G Rummo, Via Provinciale 93, Beltiglio, BN, 82010, Italy
Radiology 242:550-4. 2007
..The mean extension of extravasation was 15 mm. Image quality was not compromised, and no gas bubbles were detected. The procedure was successful in all patients, with no complications...
- Successful nonoperative management of chronic osteoarthritis pain of the knee: safety and efficacy of retreatment with intra-articular hyaluronans
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 13:751-61. 2005
..Five intra-articular hyaluronan products are approved in the US. No systematic review of the safety and efficacy of their chronic use has been reported...
- Enhanced gene transfer to arthritic joints using adeno-associated virus type 5: implications for intra-articular gene therapy
Division of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1677-84. 2005
..Gene therapy of the joint has great potential as a new therapeutic approach for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). The vector chosen is of crucial importance for clinical success...
- Accuracy of subacromial injection: anterolateral versus posterior approach
Peter V Mathews
The Permanente Medical Group, Roseville, CA 95661, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:145-8. 2005
..The anterolateral approach may place injected material medial to the medial bursal boundary, and fluoroscopy may not accurately assess this placement...
- Tolerability and short-term effectiveness of hylan G-F 20 in 4253 patients with osteoarthritis of the knee in clinical practice
Klinik Lohrey, Orthopädie und Rheumatologie, Bad Soden Salmünster, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 21:1261-9. 2005
..To determine the tolerability and short-term effectiveness of hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc) in patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee in standard clinical practice...
- [Intra-articular treatment with Hylan G-F 20 under ultrasound guidance in hip osteoarthritis. Clinical results after 12 months follow-up]
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Ospedale S Pietro Fatebenefratelli, Via Cassia, 600 00192 Rome
Reumatismo 57:36-43. 2005
..Viscosupplementation is a promising approach for hip OA, although further and wider studies are wanted to determine how long the beneficial effect lasts, and what is the optimal number of injections to administer...
- [18-month observational study on efficacy of intraarticular hyaluronic acid (Hylan G-F 20) injections under ultrasound guidance in hip osteoarthritis]
U O S di Reumatologia, S Pietro Fatebenefratelli Ospedale, 00189 Roma
Reumatismo 58:39-49. 2006
..To evaluate the efficacy and the tolerability of viscosupplementation (VS) with hyaluronic acid (Hylan GF 20) in a cohort of 36 patients affected by hip osteoarthritis through a 18 months follow-up...
- Joint and soft tissue injections in the community: questionnaire survey of general practitioners' experiences and attitudes
G J Gormley
Department of General Practice, Queens University Belfast, Dunluce Health Centre, 1 Dunluce Avenue, Belfast, Northern Ireland BT9 7HR
Ann Rheum Dis 62:61-4. 2003
..To investigate the numbers and types of joint and soft tissue injections performed by general practitioners (GPs) and to explore attitudes to training in joint and soft tissue injection and perceived barriers to performing injections...
- Role of hylan G-F 20 in treatment of osteoarthritis of the hip joint
Vijay B Vad
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Cornell University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1224-6. 2003
..To study the efficacy of hylan G-F 20 in the treatment of osteoarthritis (OA) of the hip joint...
- Intraarticular corticosteroids, supervised physiotherapy, or a combination of the two in the treatment of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: a placebo-controlled trial
Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 48:829-38. 2003
..To compare the efficacy of a single intraarticular corticosteroid injection, a supervised physiotherapy program, a combination of the two, and placebo in the treatment of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder...
- Patient's assessment of discomfort during MR arthrography of the shoulder
C A Binkert
Department of Radiology, University Hospital Balgrist, Zurich, Switzerland
Radiology 221:775-8. 2001
- A safe, reliable method of carpal tunnel injection
N R Kay
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, England
J Hand Surg Am 17:1160-1. 1992
..We present a new method of carpal tunnel injection based on anatomic dissections. We have used this technique successfully for more than 10 years, and there have been no cases of median nerve injury...
- Hip osteoarthritis: short-term efficacy and safety of viscosupplementation by hylan G-F 20. An open-label study in 22 patients
Rheumatology Department, CHU l Archet 1, Nice, France
Joint Bone Spine 69:388-91. 2002
..We studied the short-term safety and efficacy of intraarticular hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc) in patients with symptomatic hip osteoarthritis...
- Accuracy of needle placement into the intra-articular space of the knee
Douglas W Jackson
Southern California Center for Sports Medicine, Long Beach 90806, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:1522-7. 2002
..In the absence of a knee effusion, reproducible needle placement into the intra-articular space presents a challenge to the clinician...
- Potential mechanism of action of intra-articular hyaluronan therapy in osteoarthritis: are the effects molecular weight dependent?
Institute of Bone and Joint Research, Department of Surgery, University of Sydney, Royal North Shore Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Semin Arthritis Rheum 32:10-37. 2002
..All these physicochemical and biologic properties of HA have been shown to be molecular weight (MW) dependent...
- Intra-articular hyaluronan (hyaluronic acid) and hylans for the treatment of osteoarthritis: mechanisms of action
Larry W Moreland
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 5:54-67. 2003
..Many of the physiological effects of exogenous HA may be a function of its molecular weight. Several physiological effects probably contribute to the mechanisms by which HA and hylans exert their clinical effects in knee OA...
- A pragmatic randomised controlled trial of local corticosteroid injection and physiotherapy for the treatment of new episodes of unilateral shoulder pain in primary care
E M Hay
Staffordshire Rheumatology Centre, The Haywood, Burslem, Stoke on Trent, North Staffordshire ST6 7AG, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 62:394-9. 2003
..To compare the long term effectiveness of local steroid injections administered by general practitioners with practice based physiotherapy for treating patients presenting in primary care with new episodes of unilateral shoulder pain...
- Efficacy and safety of viscosupplementation by ultrasound-guided intra-articular injection in osteoarthritis of the hip
Department of Internal Medicine, S Pietro Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Rome, Italy
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 11:305-6. 2003
- Diagnostic and therapeutic injection of the shoulder region
Alfred F Tallia
Department of Family Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903, USA
Am Fam Physician 67:1271-8. 2003
..The proper technique, choice and quantity of pharmaceuticals, and appropriate follow-up are essential for effective outcomes...
- Is there a place for intra-articular hyaluronate in osteoarthritis of the knee?
University Division of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol BS2 8HW, UK
Knee 8:93-101. 2001
..Current evidence suggests that viscosupplements probably provide a similar level of pain relief to glucocorticoids and do so for several months, but the onset is slower, and there is the potential for local adverse reactions...
- Thoracic zygapophyseal joint pain patterns. A study in normal volunteers
Neuro Skeletal Center, Tyler, Texas
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:807-11. 1994
..Nine asymptomatic volunteers underwent 40 provocative intra-articular injections of the thoracic zygapophyseal joints...
- Hyaluronic acid injections for knee osteoarthritis. Systematic review of the literature
Department of Family Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, Ont
Can Fam Physician 50:249-56. 2004
..To determine whether viscosupplementation with intra-articular hyaluronic acid (HA) injections improves pain and function in patients with osteoarthritis (OA) in their knees...
- Protective effect of exogenous chondroitin 4,6-sulfate in the acute degradation of articular cartilage in the rabbit
Department of Clinical Neurosciences and Dermatology, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 6:6-13. 1998
- Clinical features of patients with pain stemming from the lumbar zygapophysial joints. Is the lumbar facet syndrome a clinical entity?
A C Schwarzer
Faculty of Medicine, University of Newcastle, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:1132-7. 1994
..This study is a prospective cross-sectional analytic study...
- Sonographically guided glenohumeral joint injection
Richard B Zwar
Department of Radiology, Austin Health, 145 163 Studley Rd, Heidelberg, Victoria 3084, Australia
AJR Am J Roentgenol 183:48-50. 2004
- An open-label study of a second course of hylan G-F 20 for the treatment of pain associated with knee osteoarthritis
David D Waddell
Orthopedic Specialists of Louisiana, Inc, Shreveport, LA 71103, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 19:499-507. 2003
..To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of a second course of hylan G-F 20 for the treatment of osteoarthritic knee pain in patients who experienced a clinical benefit with an initial course of therapy...