- Massive xanthomatosis and altered composition of atherosclerotic lesions in hyperlipidemic mice lacking acyl CoA:cholesterol acyltransferase 1
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, San Francisco, California 94141, USA
J Clin Invest 105:711-9. 2000
- Lipid-induced oxidative stress causes steatohepatitis in mice fed an atherogenic diet
Department of Disease Control and Homeostasis, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
Hepatology 46:1392-403. 2007
..Conversely, the high-fat component down-regulated the hepatic gene expression of antioxidant enzymes and might have increased oxidative stress...
- Components of metabolic syndrome and coronary artery disease in female Ossabaw swine fed excess atherogenic diet
Melissa C Dyson
Department of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, USA
Comp Med 56:35-45. 2006
..We conclude that relatively brief feeding of excess atherogenic diet produces striking features of metabolic syndrome and coronary artery disease in female Ossabaw swine.
- Guar gum consumption increases hepatic nuclear SREBP2 and LDL receptor expression in pigs fed an atherogenic diet
Todd C Rideout
Centre for Nutrition Modelling, Department of Animal and Poultry Science, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 2W1
J Nutr 137:568-72. 2007
..We conclude that the hypocholesterolemic effects of GG consumption are related to a reduction in hepatic free cholesterol concentration and associated increases in nuclear active SREBP2 expression and hepatic LDLr abundance...
- Effects of atherogenic diet on hepatic gene expression across mouse strains
Keith R Shockley
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04605, USA
Physiol Genomics 39:172-82. 2009
..The gene expression data and phenotype data have been made publicly available as an online tool for exploring the effects of atherogenic diet in inbred mouse strains (http://cgd-array.jax.org/DietStrainSurvey).
- Reduction of serum cholesterol and hypercholesterolemic atherosclerosis in rabbits by secoisolariciresinol diglucoside isolated from flaxseed
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Circulation 99:1355-62. 1999
..The objective of this study was to determine the effect of SDG on various blood lipid and aortic tissue oxidative stress parameters and on the development of atherosclerosis in rabbits fed a high-cholesterol diet...
- Loss of receptor-mediated lipid uptake via scavenger receptor A or CD36 pathways does not ameliorate atherosclerosis in hyperlipidemic mice
Kathryn J Moore
Lipid Metabolism Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Invest 115:2192-201. 2005
..study, Apoe-/- mice lacking SR-A or CD36, backcrossed into the C57BL/6 strain for 7 generations, were fed an atherogenic diet for 8 weeks...
- Dyslipidemia and vascular dysfunction in diabetic pigs fed an atherogenic diet
J L Dixon
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, University of Missouri, Columbia 65211, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 19:2981-92. 1999
..This porcine model should provide insights into the etiology of human diabetic dyslipidemia and facilitate study of peripheral vascular and coronary artery disease in diabetic patients...
- Antithrombotic potential of olive oil administration in rabbits with elevated cholesterol
J P De La Cruz
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, School of Medicine, University of Malaga, Spain
Thromb Res 100:305-15. 2000
..the effect of dietary supplementation with virgin olive oil in an experimental model with rabbits fed an atherogenic diet (saturated fat 48% of total fat)...
- Attenuating effect of chlorella supplementation on oxidative stress and NFkappaB activation in peritoneal macrophages and liver of C57BL/6 mice fed on an atherogenic diet
Hyo Seon Lee
School of Food and Life Science and Biohealth Product Research Center, Inje University, Obang dong, Kimhae, Korea
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 67:2083-90. 2003
..nuclear factor kappa B (NFkappaB) activation in peritoneal macrophages and liver of C57BL/6 mice fed on an atherogenic diet. The animals were maintained on an atherogenic diet (control), or an atherogenic diet supplemented with 3% (w/..
- Effect of an indigenous herbal compound preparation 'Trikatu' on the lipid profiles of atherogenic diet and standard diet fed Rattus norvegicus
Department of Zoology, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, 608002 Tamil Nadu, India
Phytother Res 18:976-81. 2004
..Hence 'Trikatu' can be used as a potent hypolipidaemic agent and it can reduce the atherosclerosis associated with a high fat diet...
- A physiologically relevant atherogenic diet causes severe endothelial dysfunction within 4 weeks in rabbit
Departments of Cardiology and Medicine, University of Melbourne, Austin Health, Australia
Int J Exp Pathol 90:598-604. 2009
..This model could be used to study the early onset of endothelial dysfunction prior to the initiation of atherosclerosis...
- Atherogenic diet leads to posttranslational down-regulation of murine hepatocyte SR-BI expression
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II, Molecular Cell Biology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20249 Hamburg, Germany
Atherosclerosis 202:169-75. 2009
..In SREBP-1a and -1c transgenic mice on normal chow, SR-BI was transcriptionally down-regulated. When fed the atherogenic diet, the posttranslational SR-BI regulation was still functional on this background...
- Effects of atherogenic diet consumption on lipoproteins in mouse strains C57BL/6 and C3H
B Y Ishida
Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, CA 94609
J Lipid Res 32:559-68. 1991
..Plasma lipoproteins from female mice fed chow or an atherogenic diet displayed strain differences in lipoprotein particle sizes and apolipoprotein (apo) composition...
- Maternal atherogenic diet in swine is protective against early atherosclerosis development in offspring consuming an atherogenic diet post-natally
J F Norman
Division of Physical Therapy Education and Department of Pediatrics, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Atherosclerosis 157:41-7. 2001
..We evaluated the effect of a maternal atherogenic diet on atherosclerosis development in offspring...
- Endogenous p53 protects vascular smooth muscle cells from apoptosis and reduces atherosclerosis in ApoE knockout mice
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Cambridge, PO Box 110, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, CB2 2QQ, UK
Circ Res 96:667-74. 2005
..We conclude that endogenous levels of p53 protect VSMCs and stromal cells against apoptosis, while promoting apoptosis in macrophages, and protect against atherosclerosis development...
- Effect of atorvastatin on intracellular calcium uptake in coronary smooth muscle cells from diabetic pigs fed an atherogenic diet
B J Hill
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Missouri, MA415 Medical Sciences Building, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Atherosclerosis 159:117-24. 2001
..In summary, this study demonstrates that atorvastatin prevents the enhanced uptake of Ca(2+) by SR and non-SR Ca(2+) stores in diabetic dyslipidemic pigs...
- The effect of ethanol extract of Hypericum lysimachioides on lipid profile in hypercholesterolemic rabbits and its in vitro antioxidant activity
University of Dicle, Faculty of Science and Art, Chemistry Department, 21280 Diyarbakir, Turkey
Atherosclerosis 192:113-22. 2007
..Antioxidative activities of ethanol extract of HL was found to be comparable with Vitamin E. In conclusion, the use of this extract could be useful in the management of cardiovascular disease in which atherosclerosis is important...
- Regulation of cholesterol 7alpha-hydroxylase mRNA expression in C57BL/6 mice fed an atherogenic diet
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
Atherosclerosis 178:265-9. 2005
..the following five diets for 2 weeks: a standard diet, cholic acid, cholesterol, cholesterol+high fat, or an atherogenic diet (cholic acid+cholesterol+high fat)...
- Walnuts reduce aortic ET-1 mRNA levels in hamsters fed a high-fat, atherogenic diet
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Nutr 136:428-32. 2006
..Finally, the results indicate that the walnut fat compartment is a likely location for the components responsible for the reduced aortic CE concentration...
- Phenolics from purple grape, apple, purple grape juice and apple juice prevent early atherosclerosis induced by an atherogenic diet in hamsters
EA 4188 Nutrition Humaine, Biodisponibilité et Athérogénèse, Universite Montpellier 1 and 2, Montpellier, France
Mol Nutr Food Res 52:400-7. 2008
..Five groups of eight hamsters each were fed an atherogenic diet for 12 wk. They received daily by gavage either 7...
- Cholesterol and cholate components of an atherogenic diet induce distinct stages of hepatic inflammatory gene expression
Departments of Medicine and Human Genetics, UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Biol Chem 278:42774-84. 2003
- Fenugreek seeds reduce atherogenic diet-induced cholesterol gallstone formation in experimental mice
R L R Reddy
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Central Food Technological Research Institute, CSIR, Mysore 570 020, India
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 87:933-43. 2009
..77-0.99 in fenugreek treatments compared with 2.57 in the high-cholesterol group. Thus, fenugreek seed offers health-beneficial antilithogenic potential by virtue of its favourable influence on cholesterol metabolism...
- Dietary resveratrol alters lipid metabolism-related gene expression of mice on an atherogenic diet
Food Function Research Center, Korea Food Research Institute, 516, Bundang, Gyeonggi 463 746, Republic of Korea
J Hepatol 49:1019-28. 2008
..The aim of the present study is to test whether resveratrol protects against metabolic steatohepatitis through the modulation of lipid metabolism-related genes...
- Immune-deficient mice develop typical atherosclerotic fatty streaks when fed an atherogenic diet
A I Fyfe
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles 90024
J Clin Invest 94:2516-20. 1994
..These data indicate that the classical immune system, while not essential for atherosclerotic fatty streak development, may act to suppress the development of lesions...
- Role of group II secretory phospholipase A2 in atherosclerosis: 1. Increased atherogenesis and altered lipoproteins in transgenic mice expressing group IIa phospholipase A2
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics and Molecular Biology Institute, Division of Cardiology, University of California, Los Angeles 90095, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 19:1284-90. 1999
..These data also provide a possible mechanism for the observation that there is an increased incidence of coronary artery disease in many chronic inflammatory diseases...
- Macrophage-expressed group IIA secretory phospholipase A2 increases atherosclerotic lesion formation in LDL receptor-deficient mice
Nancy R Webb
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky Medical Center MN520, 800 Rose St, Lexington, KY 40536 0084, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:263-8. 2003
..In the present study, we show for the first time that elicited peritoneal macrophages from transgenic mice express human group IIA sPLA(2). This study tested whether macrophage-expressed sPLA(2) contributes to atherogenesis...
- Complex genetic control of HDL levels in mice in response to an atherogenic diet. Coordinate regulation of HDL levels and bile acid metabolism
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles 90095, USA
J Clin Invest 99:1406-19. 1997
..Furthermore, we observed that two of the loci for C7AH expression contributed to differences in gallstone formation between these strains...
- Hazelnut oil administration reduces aortic cholesterol accumulation and lipid peroxides in the plasma, liver, and aorta of rabbits fed a high-cholesterol diet
Department of Biochemistry, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, University of Istanbul, 34093 Capa Istanbul, Turkey
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 68:2050-7. 2004
..HO did not alter the antioxidant system in the liver in the HC group. Our findings indicate that HO reduced oxidative stress and cholesterol accumulation in the aortas of rabbits fed an HC diet...
- Virgin olive and fish oils enhance the hepatic antioxidant defence system in atherosclerotic rabbits
C M Aguilera
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology University of Granada, C Ramón y Cajal 4 18071 Granada, Spain
Clin Nutr 22:379-84. 2003
..In this study we report the effects of sunflower, virgin olive and fish oils on the lipid profile and antioxidant defence system in liver mitochondria from rabbits with experimental atherosclerosis...
- Effects of atherogenic diet and atorvastatin treatment on gene expression profiles in the C57BL/6J mouse liver
Department of Paediatrics, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Gene Expr 14:149-58. 2008
This study investigated the early and long-term effects of atherogenic diet on hepatic gene expression, and the restorative effects of atorvastatin in treating hypercholesterolemia...
- Anti-atherogenic effects of the aqueous extract of rhubarb in rats fed an atherogenic diet
Mi Kyoung Moon
Professional Graduate School of Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan, Jeonbuk, 570 749, Republic of Korea
Am J Chin Med 36:555-68. 2008
..the development of atherosclerosis through regulating vascular inflammatory processes in rats fed with an atherogenic diet. AR significantly reduced plasma low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol, and increased plasma high-density ..
- Replacing dietary carbohydrate with protein and fat decreases the concentrations of small LDL and the inflammatory response induced by atherogenic diets in the guinea pig
Matthew J Sharman
Centre of Excellence for Alzheimer s Disease Research and Care, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup WA 6027, Australia
J Nutr Biochem 19:732-8. 2008
- Phycobiliprotein C-phycocyanin from Spirulina platensis is powerfully responsible for reducing oxidative stress and NADPH oxidase expression induced by an atherogenic diet in hamsters
EA 4188, Nutrition Humaine, Biodisponibilité et Athérogénèse, Place E Bataillon, Universite Montpellier 1 and 2, 34095 Montpellier, France
J Agric Food Chem 55:7962-7. 2007
..Forty hamsters were divided into 5 groups of 8 and fed an atherogenic diet for 12 weeks. They received by gavage either 7...
- Cell composition, replication, and apoptosis in atherosclerotic plaques after 6 months of cholesterol withdrawal
M M Kockx
Department of Pathology, A Z Middelheim, Antwerp, Belgium
Circ Res 83:378-87. 1998
..Moreover, the expression of the proapoptotic factor, BAX, was reduced in the remaining cells, which were mainly SMCs. These findings could help to explain the benefit of lipid-lowering therapy on plaque stabilization...
- A fibre cocktail of fenugreek, guar gum and wheat bran reduces oxidative modification of LDL induced by an atherogenic diet in rats
Vaccine Research and Development Center, National Health Research Institutes, Miaoli County, Taiwan, ROC
Mol Cell Biochem 294:145-53. 2007
..This study was undertaken to evaluate the influence of a novel fibre mix of fenugreek seed powder, guar gum and wheat bran (Fibernat) on LDL oxidation induced by an atherogenic diet.
- The reversal of the inhibition on lipids synthesis by L-659,699 in arterial smooth muscle cells cultures
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Granada, Spain
Mol Cell Biochem 221:25-31. 2001
..The effect of inhibitor is stronger in young cultures (3-4 steps) than in the older ones (11-12 steps). In young C-SMC and Ch-SMC cultures the inhibition of cholesterol and triacylglycerides synthesis by L-659,699 was reversal...
- Effects of conjugated linoleic acid on body fat accumulation and serum lipids in hamsters fed an atherogenic diet
Department of Nutrition and Food Science, University of the Basque Country, Paseo de la Universidad 7, 01006 Vitoria, Spain
J Physiol Biochem 59:193-9. 2003
..effects of c-9,t-11 and t-10,c-12 CLA isomers on body fat accumulation and serum lipids in hamsters fed an atherogenic diet. Hamsters were divided in four groups: one group was fed a chow diet (control) and the other three groups ..
- In vivo antiatherogenic properties of olive oil and its constituent lipid classes in hyperlipidemic rabbits
Haralabos C Karantonis
Laboratory of Biochemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Panepistimioupolis, Greece
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 16:174-85. 2006
- Hypolipidemic activity of Eclipta prostrata (L.) L. leaf extract in atherogenic diet induced hyperlipidemic rats
Medicinal Plants Research Unit, P G and Research Department of Microbiology, Thanthai Hans Roever College, Perambalur 621 212, India
Indian J Exp Biol 45:617-9. 2007
In atherogenic diet induced hyperlipidemic model, the rats receiving treatment with the aqueous extract of the leaves of E...
- Gallic acid antagonizes P-selectin-mediated platelet-leukocyte interactions: implications for the French paradox
Chantal C M Appeldoorn
Division of Biopharmaceutics, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden University, Gorlaeus Laboratories, Leiden, The Netherlands
Circulation 111:106-12. 2005
- Effects of hyperfibrinogenemia on vasculature of C57BL/6 mice with and without atherogenic diet
Alyssa A Gulledge
Curriculum in Genetics and Molecular Biology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599 7525, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:130-5. 2003
..To study this relationship, we examined spontaneous and diet-induced atherosclerosis in transgenic mice with hyperfibrinogenemia (elevated fibrinogen)...
- trans-10,cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid prevents adiposity but not insulin resistance induced by an atherogenic diet in hamsters
Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of the Basque Country, Paseo de la Univrsidad, 7, 01006 Vitoria, Spain
J Nutr Biochem 17:126-31. 2006
..work was to analyse the effects of trans-10,cis-12 CLA isomer on insulin sensitivity in hamsters fed an atherogenic diet. Hamsters were divided into three groups: one group was fed a chow diet (control) and the other two a ..
- Green tea catechins, alleviate hepatic lipidemic-oxidative injury in Wistar rats fed an atherogenic diet
Department of Animal Science, School of Life Sciences, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India
Chem Biol Interact 180:10-9. 2009
..When male albino Wistar rats were fed an atherogenic diet for 30 days and then treated with saline for 7 or 15 days, there was a significant decline in hepatic mean ..
- Morphologic and electroretinographic phenotype of SR-BI knockout mice after a long-term atherogenic diet
Alexandra C Provost
Universite Paris Descartes, Faculté de Médecine Paris Descartes site Necker, Centre de Recherche Thérapeutique en Ophtalmologie, EA 2502 CERTO, AP HP Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:3931-42. 2009
..To evaluate functional and ultrastructural changes in the retina of scavenger receptor B1 (SR-BI) knockout (KO) mice consuming a high fat cholate (HFC) diet...
- Possible amelioration of atherogenic diet induced dyslipidemia, hypothyroidism and hyperglycemia by the peel extracts of Mangifera indica, Cucumis melo and Citrullus vulgaris fruits in rats
Hamendra Singh Parmar
Endocrine Research Unit, Devi Ahilya University, Indore, MP, India
Biofactors 33:13-24. 2008
..In the second experiment rats were maintained on pre-standardized atherogenic diet CCT (supplemented with 4% cholesterol, 1% cholic acid and 0...
- Atherogenic diet-induced hepatitis is partially dependent on murine TLR4
Moreshwar S Desai
Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030 2600, USA
J Leukoc Biol 83:1336-44. 2008
..TLR2 deletion had no effect on diet-induced hepatitis but increased the amount of steatosis. We conclude that the early inflammatory liver injury but not hepatic lipid loading induced by the ATH diet in mice is mediated in part by TLR4...
- In vivo electrotransfer of interleukin-10 cDNA prevents endothelial upregulation of activated NF-kappaB and adhesion molecules following an atherogenic diet
Centre de Recherche Cardiovasculaire Inserm Lariboisiere, U689, Paris
Eur Cytokine Netw 17:13-8. 2006
..However, the molecular mechanisms involved in IL-10 protection against atherosclerosis in vivo remain poorly understood. In this study, we examined the effect of IL-10 cDNA in vivo electrotransfer on diet-induced, endothelial activation...
- Supplementation of plant sterols and minerals benefits obese Zucker rats fed an atherogenic diet
Institute of Biomedicine, Pharmacology, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Nutr 132:231-7. 2002
..Supplementation of this atherogenic diet with plant sterols (1 g/100 g) and replacing the NaCl partially by calcium, magnesium and potassium ..
- Mechanism of dystrophic calcification in rabbit aortas: temporal and spatial distributions of calcifying vesicles and calcification-related structural proteins
Howard H T Hsu
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160 7410, USA
Cardiovasc Pathol 13:3-10. 2004
..Whether the distributions of other structural proteins related to calcification such as collagen and elastin fibers undergo coordinated modifications has not been established...
- Effects of dietary calcium on atherosclerosis, aortic calcification, and icterus in rabbits fed a supplemental cholesterol diet
Howard H T Hsu
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Division, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Lipids Health Dis 5:16. 2006
- [Advanced glycation end products accelerate atherosclerosis via enhancement of oxidative stress]
Wei Ru Zhang
Department of Nephrology, Nanfang Hospital, Guangzhou 510515, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 84:1066-72. 2004
..To investigate the effect of advanced glycation end products (AGE) on atheromatous plaque formation and its possible mechanisms...
- Genetic deletion of tissue-type plasminogen activator (t-PA) in APOE3-Leiden mice reduces progression of cholesterol-induced atherosclerosis
Department of Vascular and Connective Tissue Research, Gaubius Laboratory, TNO PG, Leiden, The Netherlands
Thromb Haemost 90:710-6. 2003
..offspring was used to evaluate the progression of atherosclerotic lesions after they were fed a variant atherogenic diet for 12 weeks...
- Atorvastatin has hypolipidemic and anti-inflammatory effects in apoE/LDL receptor-double-knockout mice
Department of Biological and Medical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy in Hradec Kralove, Charles University in Prague, Heyrovskeho 1203, Hradec Kralove 500 05, Czech Republic
Life Sci 82:708-17. 2008
..The control group of animals (n=8) was fed with the western type diet (atherogenic diet) and in other two groups atorvastatin was added to the atherogenic diet at the dosage of either 10 mg/kg or ..
- Effects of flaxseed oil on serum lipids and atherosclerosis in hypercholesterolemic rabbits
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 8:227-35. 2003
- A comparative study of efficacy of tibolone and simvastatin on atherosclerosis in ovariectomized cholesterol-fed rabbits
College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agriculture University, Beijing 100094, China
Maturitas 50:337-43. 2005
..The present study investigated the effect of tibolone and simvastatin on atherosclerosis and the expression of both estrogen receptor A (ERA) and LDL receptor (LDLR) mRNA in ovariectomized cholesterol-fed rabbits...
- Harmful effects of increased LDLR expression in mice with human APOE*4 but not APOE*3
Sudi I Malloy
Curriculum in Genetics and Molecular Biology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:91-7. 2004
- Molecular imaging of atherosclerotic plaques using a human antibody against the extra-domain B of fibronectin
Christian M Matter
Cardiovascular Research, Institute of Physiology, University of Zurich and Cardiovascular Center, Zurich University Hospital, Switzerland
Circ Res 95:1225-33. 2004
..Thus, our findings may set the stage for antibody-based molecular imaging of atherosclerotic plaques in the intact organism...
- Inhibition of sphingomyelin synthesis reduces atherogenesis in apolipoprotein E-knockout mice
Tae Sik Park
Cardiovascular Pharmacology, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ann Arbor, Mich 48105, USA
Circulation 110:3465-71. 2004
..To test this hypothesis, apolipoprotein E (apoE)-knockout (KO) mice were treated with myriocin, a potent inhibitor of serine palmitoyltransferase, the rate-limiting enzyme in SM biosynthesis...
- Temporal relationships between circulating levels of CC and CXC chemokines and developing atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E*3 Leiden mice
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Royal Free and University College Medical School of UCL, London, UK
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:1615-20. 2003
..Serum chemokine concentrations were measured in apolipoprotein (apo) E*3 Leiden mice and their nontransgenic littermates and related to the differing rates of atherogenesis in these animals...
- Activation of heat shock transcription factor 1 in atherosclerosis
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University Hospital of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Am J Pathol 162:1669-76. 2003
..Thus, our findings provide the first evidence that HSF1 is activated and highly expressed in atherosclerotic lesions and that cytokine stimulation and disturbed mechanical stress to the vessel wall may be responsible for such activation...
- Inhibition of atherosclerosis in apoE-null mice by immunization with apoB-100 peptide sequences
Gunilla Nordin Fredrikson
Department of Medicine, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:879-84. 2003
..Immunization of animals with oxidized LDL results in reduction of atherosclerosis, suggesting an atheroprotective effect of this immune response...
- Mouse strain-specific differences in vascular wall gene expression and their relationship to vascular disease
Donald W Reynolds Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:302-8. 2005
..In this study, we sought to identify the genetic pathways that are differentially activated in the aortas of these mice...
- Requirement of JNK2 for scavenger receptor A-mediated foam cell formation in atherogenesis
Cardiovascular Research, Institute of Physiology, and Division of Cardiology, University Hospital Zurich, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Science 306:1558-61. 2004
..Thus, JNK2-dependent phosphorylation of SR-A promotes uptake of lipids in macrophages, thereby regulating foam cell formation, a critical step in atherogenesis...
- Cholesteryl ester transfer protein inhibitor (JTT-705) and the development of atherosclerosis in rabbits with severe hypercholesterolaemia
Molecular Genetics of Cardiovascular Disorders, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, Takara machi 13 1, Kanazawa 920 8641, Japan
Clin Sci (Lond) 103:587-94. 2002
- Genetic ablation of caveolin-1 confers protection against atherosclerosis
Philippe G Frank
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Ave, Golding 202, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:98-105. 2004
..Here, we evaluate the potential role of caveolae membrane domains in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis by using apolipoprotein E-deficient (ApoE-/-) mice as a model system...
- A diet-induced hypercholesterolemic murine model to study atherogenesis without obesity and metabolic syndrome
Department of Medicine, 0682, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0682, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:878-85. 2007
..Our aim was to design a diet inducing atherosclerosis through moderate hypercholesterolemia without associated parameters of the metabolic syndrome...
- Increased endothelial tetrahydrobiopterin synthesis by targeted transgenic GTP-cyclohydrolase I overexpression reduces endothelial dysfunction and atherosclerosis in ApoE-knockout mice
Nicholas J Alp
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:445-50. 2004
..We aimed to investigate the importance of endothelial BH4 availability in atherosclerosis using a transgenic mouse model with endothelial-targeted overexpression of the rate-limiting enzyme in BH4 synthesis, GTP-cyclohydrolase I (GTPCH)...
- Effect of trans-resveratrol on the thrombogenicity and atherogenicity in apolipoprotein E-deficient and low-density lipoprotein receptor-deficient mice
Department of Nutritional Science, Faculty of Food Culture, Kurashiki Sakuyo University, 3515 Nagao, Tamashima, Kurashiki City, Okayama, 710 0292 Japan
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 15:441-6. 2004
..Thus, t-RES orally administrated with a high-fat diet in apoE-/-/LDLR-/- mice significantly suppressed atherosclerosis in their aortae and reduced the laser-induced thrombosis in their carotid arteries...
- Inhibition of diet-induced atherosclerosis and endothelial dysfunction in apolipoprotein E/angiotensin II type 1A receptor double-knockout mice
Klinik fur Innere Medizin III, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Homburg Saar, Germany
Circulation 110:3062-7. 2004
..Angiotensin II type 1 (AT1) receptor activation is potentially involved in the multifactorial pathogenesis of atherosclerosis...
- Increase in serum amyloid a evoked by dietary cholesterol is associated with increased atherosclerosis in mice
Katherine E Lewis
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash 98195 6426, USA
Circulation 110:540-5. 2004
..Therefore, we hypothesized that diet-induced increases in SAA would increase atherosclerosis independent of their effect on plasma cholesterol levels...
- Effects of eggplant (Solanum melongena) on the atherogenesis and oxidative stress in LDL receptor knock out mice (LDLR(-/-))
Françoise V Botelho
Departamento de Bioquimica e Imunologia, ICB, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Caixa Postal 486, 30 161 970, Belo Horizonte MG, Brazil
Food Chem Toxicol 42:1259-67. 2004
..Surprisingly, eggplant increased oxidative stress, representing a risk factor for atherosclerosis. These results did not support the use of eggplant extract as hypocholesterolemic agent...
- Application of stereological methods for the quantification of VCAM-1 and ICAM-1 expression in early stages of rabbit atherogenesis
Department of Biological and Medical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, Charles University in Prague, Heyrovskeho 1203, Hradec Kralove 500 05, Czech Republic
Pathol Res Pract 200:219-29. 2004
..Stereological methods proved to be useful for the quantification of immunohistochemistry and can be used for an objective characterization of atherogenic changes in atherosclerosis...
- Endothelial overexpression of Fas ligand decreases atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice
Department of Molecular Cardiology, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass 02118 2526, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:1466-73. 2004
..Fas ligand (FasL) can induce apoptosis in cells bearing the Fas receptor. The role of FasL in the vasculature with regard to atherosclerosis is controversial. This study examined the function of endothelial FasL during atherosclerosis...
- Effect of a taurine treatment on the regression of existing atherosclerotic lesions in rabbits fed on a high-cholesterol diet
Department of Biochemistry, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Capa Istanbul, Turkey
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 68:1035-9. 2004
..These results indicate that the taurine treatment may accelerate the regression of cholesterol-induced atherosclerotic lesions in rabbits without having any effect on the plasma and aorta lipid and lipid peroxide levels...
- Development of aortic valve sclerosis in a rabbit model of atherosclerosis: an immunohistochemical and histological study
University of Western Ontario, Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Canada
J Heart Valve Dis 14:365-75. 2005
..Cellular, structural and morphological changes in the aortic valves of these rabbits were studied...
- Effect of macrophage-derived apolipoprotein E on hyperlipidemia and atherosclerosis of LDLR-deficient mice
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville 22908, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 317:223-9. 2004
..56; P<0.0001). Thus, macrophage apoE-deficiency alleviates severe hyperlipidemia by slowing hepatic VLDL production and consequently reduces atherosclerosis in LDLR(-/-) mice...
- Differential effects of apolipoprotein A-I-mimetic peptide on evolving and established atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-null mice
Atherosclerosis Research Center, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine and Burns and Allen Research Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center and David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, Calif 90048, USA
Circulation 110:1701-5. 2004
- Plasma cholesteryl esters provided by lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase and acyl-coenzyme a:cholesterol acyltransferase 2 have opposite atherosclerotic potential
Richard G Lee
Arteriosclerosis Research Program, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Circ Res 95:998-1004. 2004
..Overall, the data suggest that ACAT2-derived CE is the predominant atherogenic lipid in blood, and that an important goal for prevention of atherosclerosis is to limit ACAT2-derived CE accumulation in lipoproteins...
- Plaque rupture after short periods of fat feeding in the apolipoprotein E-knockout mouse: model characterization and effects of pravastatin treatment
Bristol Heart Institute, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
Circulation 111:1422-30. 2005
- Murine cytomegalovirus infection increases aortic expression of proatherosclerotic genes
Mary Susan Burnett
Cardiovascular Research Institute, MedStar Research Institute, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Circulation 109:893-7. 2004
..Additionally, in cholesterol-fed C57BL/6J mice, we examined the effects of MCMV infection on aortic lesion area...
- A new model to evaluate the diet-induced prothrombotic state, using He-Ne laser-induced thrombogenesis in the carotid artery of apolipoprotein E-deficient and low-density lipoprotein receptor-deficient mice
Laboratory of Physiology, Faculty of Nutrition, and High Technology Research Center, Kobe Gakuin University, Japan
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 13:497-504. 2002
..These diets were on the basis of AIN93G and were given to mice for 4 or 8 weeks. The high fat diet significantly enhanced both the thrombotic reaction and the development of atherosclerosis as compared with the low fat diet...
- IFN-gamma deficiency exerts gender-specific effects on atherogenesis in apolipoprotein E-/- mice
Stewart C Whitman
University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4W7
J Interferon Cytokine Res 22:661-70. 2002
..However, this effect is strikingly restricted to male mice...
- Decreased lesion formation in CCR2-/- mice reveals a role for chemokines in the initiation of atherosclerosis
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, San Francisco, California 94141, USA
Nature 394:894-7. 1998
..These data reveal a role for MCP-1 in the development of early atherosclerotic lesions and suggest that upregulation of this chemokine by minimally oxidized lipids is an important link between hyperlipidaemia and fatty streak formation...
- The effects of magnesium sulphate and EDTA in the hypercholesterolaemic rabbit
D A Evans
Riyadh Armed Forces Hospital, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Manfouha Central Hospital Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Diabetes Obes Metab 3:417-22. 2001
..It is concluded that CHL injections have a definite prophylactic effect on atherogenesis in the cholesterol-fed rabbit, and may have some therapeutic value in the regression phase. Further confirmatory studies are suggested...
- Effect of hypercholesterolemia on expression and function of vascular soluble guanylyl cyclase
Institut fur Pharmakologie und Klinische Pharmakologie, Heinrich Heine Universitat, Dusseldorf, Germany
Circulation 105:855-60. 2002
..Vasorelaxation to endothelial NO is mediated by activation of soluble guanylyl cyclase (sGC) and impaired by hypercholesterolemia in animals and humans. We investigated whether hypercholesterolemia impacts expression and function of sGC...
- Gene expression in atherosclerotic lesion of ApoE deficient mice
D M Wuttge
Center for Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Mol Med 7:383-92. 2001
..Thus, detailed evaluation of gene expression at several time points should help understanding the development of atherosclerosis and establishment of preventive intervention...
- Effects of heterozygous lipoprotein lipase deficiency on diet-induced atherosclerosis in mice
C F Semenkovich
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Lipid Res 39:1141-51. 1998
..To address the role of LPL in atherosclerosis, LPL+/- mice in the C57BL/6J background were fed an atherogenic diet for 8 months...
- Lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase deficiency increases atherosclerosis in the low density lipoprotein receptor and apolipoprotein E knockout mice
James W Furbee
Department of Pathology, Section on Comparative Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1040, USA
J Biol Chem 277:3511-9. 2002
..After 16 weeks of atherogenic diet (0...
- Extracellular superoxide dismutase deficiency and atherosclerosis in mice
M L Sentman
Department of Medical Biosciences, Clinical Chemistry, Umea University Hospital, Umea, Sweden
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 21:1477-82. 2001
..On an apolipoprotein E-null background, the limited aortic lesions induced by a 1-month atherogenic diet were larger in EC-SOD wild-type mice than in EC-SOD-null mice, whereas there were no differences between the ..
- Lipid peroxidation and platelet activation in murine atherosclerosis
Center for Experimental Therapeutics, Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Circulation 104:1940-5. 2001
..Lipid peroxidation and platelet activation are thought to be important contributors to the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. The relevance of their interaction in vivo, however, is unknown...
- Role of macrophage colony-stimulating factor in atherosclerosis: studies of osteopetrotic mice
J H Qiao
Department of Medicine, Molecular Biology Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Am J Pathol 150:1687-99. 1997
..The effects of the op mutation on atherogenesis may have resulted from decreased circulating monocytes, reduced tissue macrophages, or diminished arterial M-CSF...
- 12/15-Lipoxygenase gene disruption attenuates atherogenesis in LDL receptor-deficient mice
Institute of Lipid and Atherosclerosis Research, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Circulation 104:1646-50. 2001
..Previous in vivo tests of the role of LOs in atherogenesis animal models, however, have yielded conflicting results...
- Immunopathogenesis of atherosclerosis: endotoxin accelerates atherosclerosis in rabbits on hypercholesterolemic diet
H A Lehr
Institute of Pathology, University of Mainz, Germany
Circulation 104:914-20. 2001
..These data support the concept that atherosclerosis has an immunopathological component and render it improbable that a single infectious agent should assume particular importance in its initiation or progression...
- Lack of apoA-I is not associated with increased susceptibility to atherosclerosis in mice
Department of Pathology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599 7525
Arterioscler Thromb 13:1814-21. 1993
..After being maintained on an atherogenic diet for 4 weeks, total plasma cholesterol of the homozygous mutants increased by 20 mg/dL, while that of normals ..
- Absence of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 reduces atherosclerosis in low density lipoprotein receptor-deficient mice
Department of Adult Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Cell 2:275-81. 1998
..Thus, MCP-1 plays a unique and crucial role in the initiation of atherosclerosis and may provide a new therapeutic target in this disorder...
- Expression of LR11, a mosaic LDL receptor family member, is markedly increased in atherosclerotic lesions
Second Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Chiba University, Japan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 19:2687-95. 1999
- Reduction of isoprostanes and regression of advanced atherosclerosis by apolipoprotein E
R K Tangirala
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 276:261-6. 2001
..In summary, these results demonstrate that liver-derived apoE directly induced regression of advanced atherosclerosis and has anti-oxidant properties in vivo that may contribute to its anti-atherogenic effects...
- ICAM-1 deficiency reduces atherosclerotic lesions in double-knockout mice (ApoE(-/-)/ICAM-1(-/-)) fed a fat or a chow diet
M C Bourdillon
INSERM U331 Faculté de Médecine RTH Laënnec, Lyon, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 20:2630-5. 2000
..Plasma cholesterol levels were not altered as a result of ICAM-1 deficiency. These studies show that ICAM-1 is implicated in the formation and progression of atherosclerotic lesions...
- LXRs control lipid-inducible expression of the apolipoprotein E gene in macrophages and adipocytes
B A Laffitte
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Pathology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:507-12. 2001
..Together with our previous work, these findings support a central role for LXR signaling pathways in the control of macrophage cholesterol efflux through the coordinate regulation of apoE, ABCA1, and ABCG1 expression...
- Protection against atherosclerosis by estrogen is independent of plasma cholesterol levels in LDL receptor-deficient mice
M M Marsh
Department of Immunology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, 92037, USA
J Lipid Res 40:893-900. 1999
..E2 protected LDLR-/- female mice from atherosclerosis and this protection was independent of changes in plasma cholesterol levels...