Genomes and Genes
Summary: The infiltrating of histological specimens with plastics, including acrylic resins, epoxy resins and polyethylene glycol, for support of the tissues in preparation for sectioning with a microtome.
Publications180 found, 100 shown here
- Triton X-100 pretreatment of LR-white thin sections improves immunofluorescence specificity and intensitySalem S Ghrebi
Department of Oral Biological and Medical Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Microsc Res Tech 70:555-62. 2007..This novel technique could be applied in many research areas where postembedding fluorescent immunolabeling with higher labeling intensity is desired...
- A study of neovascularization in the rat ischemic hindlimb using Araldite casting and Spalteholtz tissue clearingPeter E Westerweel
Department of Vascular Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Cardiovasc Pathol 14:294-7. 2005..We explored an alternative strategy to corrosion casting for visualizing neovascularization in a rat hindlimb ischemia model...
- Bone histomorphometry in arthritis modelsGeorg Schett
Methods Mol Med 135:269-83. 2007..Finally, evaluation of arthritic paw sections by histomorphometry, a semiautomated computerized method to measure areas of interest, is described...
- Correlative light and electron microscopy using immunolabeled resin sectionsHeinz Schwarz
Max Planck Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Tuebingen, Germany
Methods Mol Biol 369:229-56. 2007..Subsequent sections, labeled with immunogold, are analyzed by electron microscopy to identify the label within the cellular architecture at high resolution...
- Rapid diagnostic thin section electron microscopy of bacterial endosporesMichael Laue
Centre for Biological Safety 4, Robert Koch Institute, Nordufer 20, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Microbiol Methods 70:45-54. 2007..Because of its universality and speed the described protocol complements negative staining electron microscopy as a front line method for the morphology-based diagnosis of pathogens in environmental and clinical samples...
- Rapid plastic embedding is compatible with colorimetric detection following whole mount in situ hybridization in plant specimensA J Reid
Department of Biology, University of Calgary, AB, Canada
Biotech Histochem 76:3-9. 2001..R. White resin containing 10% (v/v) polyethylene glycol 400, and heat polymerized. The addition of the plasticizer allows L.R. White embedded tissues to be sectioned at 10 microm providing excellent signal contrast...
- A simple method for orienting silk and other flexible fibres in transmission electron microscopy specimensJ E Trancik
University of Oxford, Department of Materials, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PH, UK
J Microsc 203:235-8. 2001..Both transverse and longitudinal sections can then be cut with a microtome. The method can be extended to obtain sections at any intermediate orientation...
- Embedding in Spurr's resin is a good choice for immunolabelling after freeze drying as shown with chemically unfixed dendritic cellsD Spehner
INSERM EPI 99 08, EFS Alsace, 10 rue Spielmann 67065 Strasbourg, France
J Microsc 207:1-4. 2002..Furthermore, we demonstrate the feasibility of protein localization in ultrathin sections by immunolabelling of the major histocompatibility class II molecules...
- Histologic and radiographic assessment of caries-like lesions localized at the crown marginAxel Zoellner
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Witten Herdecke, Witten, Germany
J Prosthet Dent 88:54-9. 2002..Little is known about the impact of crown margins on the demineralization and remineralization process or on the interpretation of radiographs for the detection of early secondary caries...
- A novel method for correlating internal and external structure of individual myelinated nerve fibresZ Cai
Department of Neurology and University Department of Neurology, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Australia
J Neurosci Methods 105:39-43. 2001..This method is particularly useful for the correlative study of the myelin-axon relationships...
- Site-specific 3D imaging of cells and tissues with a dual beam microscopeJurgen A W Heymann
Laboratory of Cell Biology, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Struct Biol 155:63-73. 2006..Our results demonstrate that dual beam imaging is a powerful new tool for cellular and subcellular imaging in 3D for both basic biomedical and clinical applications...
- Ciliated epithelium-lined radicular cystsP N Ramachandran Nair
Department of Oral Structural Biology, Center of Dental and Oral Medicine, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 94:485-93. 2002..This report describes 3 cases of ciliated epithelium-lined radicular cysts among 256 apical periodontitis lesions and also illustrates the occurrence of an Actinomyces-infected periapical cyst...
- High resolution micromill sampling for analysis of fish otoliths by ICP-MS: effects of sampling and specimen preparation on trace element fingerprintsZikri Arslan
Jackson State University, Department of Chemistry, P O Box 17910, Jackson, MS 39217, USA
Mar Environ Res 66:364-71. 2008..Bias on Zn was larger that could limit its application in discriminating individuals...
- A 16-year study of the microgap between 272 human titanium implants and their abutmentsAntonio Scarano
Dental School, University of Chieti Pescara, Chieti, Italy
J Oral Implantol 31:269-75. 2005..In these retrieved implants, the size of the microgap was markedly variable and much larger than that observed in vitro...
- Electron microscopic studies of ion- and H2O-transporting epithelial cells in the horizontal ampulla of the pigeonH Villegas
Institute of Anatomy, , Germany
Histol Histopathol 16:1161-74. 2001..The question whether the proteins are dispersed in the endolymph or contribute to cupula formation remains unclear. The morphology and possible functions of these two cell types are discussed on the basis of electron microscopic results...
- How we process trephine biopsy specimens: epoxy resin embedded bone marrow biopsiesT Krenacs
Laboratory of Tumour Pathology and Molecular Diagnostics, Institute for Biotechnology, Bay Zoltan Foundation for Applied Research, H 6726 Szeged, Derkovits fasor 2, Hungary
J Clin Pathol 58:897-903. 2005..By meeting traditional and contemporary demands on the haematopathologist, it offers a powerful alternative to paraffin wax processing for diagnosis and research...
- Correlative light/electron microscopy for the investigation of microbial mats from Black Sea Cold SeepsChristoph Wrede
Institut für Mikrobiologie und Genetik der Universität Göttingen, Grisebachstr 8, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
J Microbiol Methods 73:85-91. 2008..This allows lectin mapping at low resolution for light microscopy in direct comparison with a highly resolved electron microscopic image...
- [Application of double immunostaining in resin-embedded bone marrow biopsy specimens]Hong Yan Wu
Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi 36:853-4. 2007
- Freeze-dried and resin-embedded biological material is well suited for ultrastructure researchL Edelmann
Anatomie und Zellbiologie, Universitat des Saarlandes, D 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
J Microsc 207:5-26. 2002..Sublimation studies with differently hydrated and cryofixed macromolecules are suggested to settle this issue...
- A new technique for hard tissuesW Morrow
University of Missouri Kansas City, School of Medicine, Basic Medical Science, 64108, USA
Biotech Histochem 77:43-5. 2002..I outline here two simple techniques for producing stained, ground, thin sections using readily available Romanowsky-type cytology stains and a urine sediment stain. Results are comparable to hematoxylin and eosin stained specimens...
- Plastination of dissected brain specimens and Mulligan-stained sections of the human brainF M Baeres
Institute of Medical Anatomy, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Morphol 39:307-11. 2001....
- Subcellular localization of GABA receptors in the central nervous system using post-embedding immunohistochemistryWendy L Heck
Department of Biology and Cell Molecular Physiology, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Brain Res Brain Res Protoc 9:173-80. 2002..Therefore, unlike many protocols for post-embedding immunoelectronmicroscopy, this method allows for superior preservation of tissue ultrastructure compared to results previously published by others...
- Autometallographic localization of heavy metals in resin sections, cryosections and isolated cells of the mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis (L.)E K Raftopoulou
Department of Genetics, Development and Molecular Biology, School of Biology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54124, Greece
Histochem J 34:583-8. 2002....
- Aortic arch variation analyzed by using plastinationMircea Constantin Sora
Plastination Laboratory, Institute of Anatomy, Vienna University, Vienna, Austria
Clin Anat 15:379-82. 2002..The caliber and length of the main branches of the aortic arch were determined and compared to reports in the literature. This variation was discovered in the context of producing transverse body slices using an E12 plastination process...
- Tissue-plastinated vs. celloidin-embedded large serial sections in video, analog and digital photographic on-screen reproduction: a preliminary step to exact virtual 3D modelling, exemplified in the normal midface and cleft-lip and palateConstantin A Landes
Maxillofacial and Facial Plastic Surgery, J W Goethe University Medical Centre, Frankfurt, Germany
J Anat 207:175-91. 2005..Digital photography is preferred for on-screen analysis...
- Use of surface affinity enrichment and cryo-embedding to prepare in vitro reconstituted mitotic chromosomes for EM tomographyPeter Konig
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 2240, USA
Ultramicroscopy 103:261-74. 2005..The implications of the new method for the preparation of other difficult samples and additional application possibilities are discussed...
- Postembedding ultrastructural in situ hybridization on ultrathin cryosections and LR white resin sectionsP Mandry
GSF Institute of Pathology, , Germany
Ultrastruct Pathol 17:185-94. 1993..EBV DNA was detected in the nucleus and/or cytoplasm in 10% to 20% of P3HR1 cells. A similar percentage of cells in thin L-sectioned material prepared by routine methods showed virus particles at different stages of maturation...
- Optimization of glycol methacrylate embedding of large specimens in neurological research. Study of rat skull-brain specimens after implantation of polyester meshesRalf Quester
Faculty of Medicine, Center for Neurosurgery, Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery Clinic, University of Cologne, Joseph Stelzmann Strasse 9, 50931 Koln, Germany
J Neurosci Methods 113:15-26. 2002....
- Cell-free extract systems and the cytoskeleton: preparation of biochemical experiments for transmission electron microscopyMargaret Coughlin
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 369:199-212. 2007..Working in vitro opens these complex processes to biochemical dissection. Here, we describe methods to view these in vitro preparations by thin-section electron microscopy...
- Vasa vasorum of the human great saphenous veinD Kachlik
Department of Anatomy, 3rd Medical Faculty of Charles University, Ruska 87, 100 00 Prague 10, Czech Republic
Surg Radiol Anat 24:377-81. 2003..No lymphatic was found in any of the layers of GSV wall. From the findings the authors recommend extremely careful dissection of the GSV wall during in situ grafting surgery, to ensure the best viability of the venous wall...
- Co-localization and functional cross-talk between A1 and P2Y1 purine receptors in rat hippocampusI Tonazzini
Department of Psychiatry Neurobiology Pharmacology and Biotechnology, University of Pisa, 56126, Pisa, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 26:890-902. 2007..This may be particularly important during pathological conditions, when large amounts of these mediators are released...
- Harder and stiffer bone osseointegrated to roughened titaniumF Butz
The Jane and Jerry Weintraub Center for Reconstructive Biotechnology, Division of Advanced Prosthodontics, Biomaterials and Hospital Dentistry, UCLA School of Dentistry, 10833 Le Conte Avenue B3 087 CHS, Box 951668, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1668, USA
J Dent Res 85:560-5. 2006....
- Quadriplegic areflexic ICU illness: selective thick filament loss and normal nerve histologyHoward W Sander
Department of Neurology, Peripheral Neuropathy Center, Weill College of Medicine of Cornell University, 635 Madison Ave, Suite 400, New York, New York 10022, USA
Muscle Nerve 26:499-505. 2002..This suggests that areflexic ICU quadriplegia is a primary myopathy and not an axonal polyneuropathy...
- Improvements in histological quality and signal retention following in situ hybridization in early chick embryos using plastic resin and recolorizationA L Sawitzke
Division of Natural Sciences, Salt Lake Community College, 4600 S Redwood Road, Salt Lake City, Utah 84123, USA
Biotech Histochem 80:35-41. 2005....
- Comparative studies of the cell structures of Mycobacterium leprae and M. tuberculosis using the electron microscopy freeze-substitution techniqueAkemi Takade
Department of Bacteriology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 47:265-70. 2003..The cell widths measured on electron micrographs were 0.44 microm for M. tuberculosis and 0.38 microm for M. leprae. The peptidoglycan layer of M. leprae was 4-5 nm, while the corresponding layer of M. tuberculosis was 10-15 nm...
- Apoptotic changes of Middle East jaw lymphomaRaja Kummoona
Iraqi Board of Medical Specializations, Medical Avenue America 38 2 887, PO Box 65066, Baghdad, Iraq
J Craniofac Surg 17:231-5. 2006..The presence of low-level of apoptosis is a poor prognostic feature of jaw lymphoma due to homogeneity and degenerative changes of the mitochondria and disruption of the cell surface...
- Progressive hearing loss in mice with a mutated vitamin D receptor geneJing Zou
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
Audiol Neurootol 13:219-30. 2008..Hormonal forms of vitamin D regulate transcription by binding with the high-affinity vitamin D receptor (VDR)...
- Uptake of 111In-Z2D3 on SPECT imaging in a swine model of coronary stent restenosis correlated with cell proliferationLynne L Johnson
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Brown University, Rhode Island Hospital, MB Room 209, 593 Eddy Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Nucl Med 45:294-9. 2004..We hypothesized that an antibody linked to polymers to increase specific radioactivity can be visualized on SPECT images and that counts in the target will correlate with the strength of the biologic signal...
- From blastocyst to placenta: the morphology of implantation in the baboonA C Enders
Department of Cell Biology and Human Anatomy, School of Medicine, and California Regional Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
Hum Reprod Update 3:561-73. 1997..All tissues were prepared for electron microscopy by aldehyde fixation and plastic embedding. Maturation of trophoblast from the compacted morula stage to the expanded blastocyst stage includes ..
- Cytokine accumulation in osteitis fibrosa of renal osteodystrophyM E L Duarte
Programa Avançado de Biologia Celular Aplicado à Medicine PABCAM, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 35:25-9. 2002..necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) using an undecalcified plastic embedding method...
- A comparison of fixation methods on lung morphology in a murine model of emphysemaS Braber
Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht Univ, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 299:L843-51. 2010..lung morphology for lung emphysema analysis when embedded in paraffin, while for Carnoy's fixed lungs, plastic embedding was preferred...
- The use of filter membranes for high-pressure freezing of cell monolayersM K Morphew
The Boulder Laboratory for 3 D Electron Microscopy of Cells, Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
J Microsc 212:21-5. 2003Rapid freezing of cells and tissues, followed by freeze-substitution fixation and plastic embedding, has become a highly reliable method for preparing samples for imaging in the electron microscope...
- Three-dimensional distributions of elements in biological samples by energy-filtered electron tomographyR D Leapman
Division of Bioengineering and Physical Science, ORS, National Institutes of Health, Building 13, 3N17, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Ultramicroscopy 100:115-25. 2004..of the nematode, Caenorhabditis elegans were prepared by high-pressure freezing, freeze-substitution and plastic embedding. Images were recorded at energy losses above and below the phosphorus L2,3 edge using a post-column imaging ..
- A comparison of methods for the estimation of retroviral burdenS T Bierley
IEM Section, Pathology Associates International, Durham NC, USA
Dev Biol Stand 88:163-5. 1996..To validate further the plastic embedding with thin sectioning, we evaluated cell culture supernatants (pellets) for retroviral burden at various ..
- Electron microscopic contrast of the cytoskeleton and junctional complexes of intestinal epithelial cells by ethanolic phosphotungstic acidA Tato
Central Service for Support to Experimental Research, University of Valencia, Burjassot, Spain
Eur J Morphol 38:134-41. 2000After glutaraldehyde fixation and treatment with ethanolic phosphotungstic acid (E-PTA) before plastic embedding, sections of rat large intestine showed a characteristic electron contrasting pattern in epithelial cells...
- Temporal development of 2',3'-dideoxyinosine (ddI)-induced peripheral myelinopathyT A Patterson
Division of Neurotoxicology, National Center for Toxicological Research FDA, 72079 9502, Jefferson, AR, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 22:429-34. 2000..by immersion in neutral phosphate-buffered formalin, dehydrated in graded alcohols, and embedded in plastic embedding media. One-micrometer-thick sections were cut and stained with toluidine blue and basic fuchsin...
- Cytomegalovirus primary envelopment occurs at large infoldings of the inner nuclear membraneChristopher Buser
Universitatsklinikum Ulm, Institut fur Virologie, Albert Einstein Allee 11, 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Virol 81:3042-8. 2007..cytomegalovirus by transmission electron microscopy after high-pressure freezing, freeze substitution, and plastic embedding. We observed large tubular infoldings of the inner nuclear membrane that were free of lamina and active in ..
- The low temperature vacuum embedding technique for X-ray microanalysis of the developing inner earS O Wikström
Department of Otolaryngology, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Otolaryngol 105:223-31. 1988..With plastic embedding, an improvement of the morphological resolution was achieved, which allows reliable structural ..
- Apoptosis in male germinal line cells of rat in vivo: caused by phosphamidonM A Akbarsha
Department of Animal Science, School of Life Sciences, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli, India
Cytobios 91:33-44. 1997..It is suggested that plastic embedding and semithin sectioning are appropriate methodologies to identify apoptotic cells in histological ..
- Diagnosis of unknown nonhematological tumors by bone marrow biopsy: a retrospective analysis of 10,112 samplesLi Xiao
Department of Hematology, the Sixth Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 135:687-93. 2009..To investigate how unselected bone marrow (BM) biopsy examinations could help in the diagnosis of clinically unknown nonhematological tumors...
- Making the most of bone marrow trephine biopsyBridget S Wilkins
Guy s and St Thomas Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, King s College, London and Newcastle University, Newcastle, UK
Histopathology 55:631-40. 2009..The requirement for decalcification or plastic embedding during tissue processing poses additional challenges for histological quality and successful application of ..
- Cryo-electron tomography in biology and medicineRoman I Koning
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Section Electron Microscopy, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Ann Anat 191:427-45. 2009..The use of cryo-preparation and imaging techniques eliminates artifacts induced by plastic embedding and staining of the samples is circumvented...
- Three-dimensional analysis of molecular signals with episcopic imaging techniquesWolfgang J Weninger
Integrative Morphology Group, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Methods Mol Biol 411:35-46. 2007..In contrast, the plastic embedding medium used in HREM is strongly fluorescent, and tissue architecture is detected at the surface because of ..
- Early effect of a single intravenous injection of ethanol on hepatic sinusoidal endothelial fenestrae in rabbitsFrank Jacobs
Center for Molecular and Vascular Biology, Department of Molecular and Cellular Medicine, University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, Leuven, 3000, Belgium
Comp Hepatol 8:4. 2009..The effect of ethanol on the size of fenestrae was studied using transmission electron microscopy, because plastic embedding provides true measures for the diameter of fenestrae...
- Semi-thin sections of epoxy resin-embedded mouse embryos in morphological analysis of whole mount in situ RNA hybridizationD Mitrecic
Croatian Institute for Brain Research, School of Medicine, Salata 12, HR 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
J Microsc 232:504-7. 2008..Therefore, use of plastic embedding media, which allow semi-thin and ultra-thin sectioning for light and electron microscopy, could be an ..
- Biological staining: mechanisms and theoryR W Horobin
Division of Neuroscience and Biomedical Systems, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, The University of Glasgow, UK
Biotech Histochem 77:3-13. 2002..The QSAR correlates with staining of endoplasmic reticulum, lysosomes, mitochondria, DNA, or the plasma membranes of living cells...
- Preparation techniques alter the mineral and organic fractions of fish otoliths: insights using Raman micro-spectrometryAurélie Jolivet
Département des Sciences et Technologies Halieutiques, IFREMER, ZI Pointe du diable, Plouzane, France
Anal Bioanal Chem 405:4787-98. 2013..In this respect, we propose a method for the correction of Raman otolith signatures for contamination effects...
- Processing plant tissues for ultrastructural studyJohn Kuo
Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis, The University of Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Methods Mol Biol 369:35-45. 2007..Additional vacuum infiltration during resin infiltration procedure to improve the efficiency of resin penetration is implemented...
- Long-term effects of a lumbosacral ventral root avulsion injury on axotomized motor neurons and avulsed ventral roots in a non-human primate model of cauda equina injuryM Ohlsson
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Division of Neurosurgery, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Care, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA, USA
Neuroscience 250:129-39. 2013..We speculate that the small axons may represent sprouting or axonal regeneration by primary afferents or autonomic fibers...
- Analysis of Golgi complex function using correlative light-electron microscopyElena V Polishchuk
Telethon Institute of Genetics and Medicine, Naples, Italy
Methods Cell Biol 118:243-58. 2013..Here, we will present the historical overview of different Golgi-associated processes characterized by CLEM and describe the detailed protocol of this complex yet valuable technique. ..
- Immunohistochemical comparison of markers for wound healing on plastic-embedded and frozen mucosal tissueRonald Mai
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Cells Tissues Organs 190:34-41. 2009..Therefore, the antibodies against CK 1/2/10/11; 5/6; 13; 14; 17, and 19, as well as the basement proteins laminin and collagen IV are deemed markers suitable on semithin sections of plastic-embedded attached oral mucosa...
- Alterations of mouse lung tissue dimensions during processing for morphometry: a comparison of methodsJan Philipp Schneider
Institute of Functional and Applied Anatomy, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Strase 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 306:L341-50. 2014....
- Light-weight plastinationHanno Steinke
Institut fur Anatomie, Universitat Leipzig, Leipzig, BR Deutschland, Germany
Ann Anat 190:428-31. 2008..This method requires less use of resin thus making the plastination technique more cost-effective. The light-weight specimens are easy to carry and can easily be used for teaching...
- Heterogeneous pattern of bone disease in adult type 1 Gaucher disease: clinical and pathological correlatesL van Dussen
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Electronic address
Blood Cells Mol Dis 53:118-23. 2014..b>Plastic embedding and subsequent Goldner and TRAP staining offered a unique possibility to study bone histological findings in ..
- Glycol methacrylate-embedding medium to study morphological alterations of saphenous vein under brief and crescent pressurizationsCibele M Prado
Department of Pathology, Ribeirao Preto Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Acta Cir Bras 23:77-82; discussion 82. 2008..This study sought to evaluate the efficiency of glycol methacrylate-embedding medium to detect morphological alterations of human saphenous vein submitted to brief and crescent pressurizations...
- Staining of the Reinke crystalloids in the human testis--re-evaluation studyNobuyuki Nakamura
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Fukuoka University, 7 45 1 Nanakuma, Johnan ku, Fukuoka City, Fukuoka, 814 0180 Japan
Okajimas Folia Anat Jpn 82:103-10. 2005..The reasons for stainability and/or non stainability of CRs with hematoxylin, eosin and other dyes are discussed...
- Loss of dentin sialophosphoprotein leads to periodontal diseases in miceM P Gibson
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A and M Health Science Center, Dallas, TX, USA
J Periodontal Res 48:221-7. 2013..The objective of this investigation was to study the effects of Dspp ablation on periodontal tissues by analyzing Dspp null mice...
- Freeze-substitution: the addition of water to polar solvents enhances the retention of structure and acts at temperatures around -60 degrees CC Buser
Zentrale Einrichtung Elektronenmikroskopie, Universitaet Ulm, Albert Einstein Allee 11, 89069 Ulm, Germany
J Microsc 230:268-77. 2008High-pressure freezing followed by freeze substitution and plastic embedding is becoming a more widely used method for TEM sample preparation...
- Low-temperature glycol methacrylate resin embedding method: A protocol suitable for bone marrow immunohistochemistry, PCR, and fish analysisQiGuo Zhang
Department of Hematology, The Affiliated Drum Tower Hospital of Nanjing University Medical School, Nanjing 210008, China
Microsc Res Tech 73:1067-71. 2010..method, BM enzyme activity and antigenic determinants are well preserved, and moreover, DNA extracted from plastic embedding sections is suitable for PCR amplification and sequencing, FISH analysis can be well done because of the DNA ..
- The effect of thermocycling on the determination of microleakage in Permite amalgam restorationsS Rajbaran
Department of Odontology, University of Pretoria, P O Box 1266, Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa 0001
SADJ 64:394-6. 2009..Microleakage is an important clinical performance parameter of restorative materials. A literature review of the effect of thermocycling on microleakage revealed an incongruity of results...
- An improved electron microscopic technique for the immunolabeling of Cryptosporidium parvum oocystsMark C Jenkins
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Parasitol 92:403-5. 2006..The improved fixation and embedding method permits efficient immunolabeling of both nonexcysted and excysted C. parvum oocysts and may be applicable to other oocyst- and cyst-forming protozoa...
- Anatomical investigations and their ethical dilemmasD Gareth Jones
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Clin Anat 20:338-43. 2007..These dimensions introduce issues of respect, human dignity, consent, scientific integrity, and societal expectations...
- The use of plastinated prosections for teaching anatomy--the view of medical students on the value of this learning resourceB H Fruhstorfer
Institute of Clinical Education, Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry, United Kingdom
Clin Anat 24:246-52. 2011..We conclude that plastinated prosections are an adequate resource for the early stages of undergraduate training, but that the learning experience may be further enhanced by providing opportunity for the study of wet cadaveric material...
- Metamorphosis: beautiful education to smarmy edutainmentRuth Levy Guyer
Am J Bioeth 7:30-1; discussion W1-3. 2007
- Computerised 3-D anatomical modelling using plastinates: an example utilising the human heartS Tunali
Department of Anatomy, Biochemistry, and Physiology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, USA
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 70:191-6. 2011..The use of plastinated material for generating 3-D computerised models has distinct advantages compared to cross-sectional tissue images...
- Aclar discs: a versatile substrate for routine high-pressure freezing of mammalian cell monolayersN Jimenez
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Institute of Biomembranes, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Microsc 221:216-23. 2006..the artefacts induced by conventional chemical fixation, and, in combination with freeze-substitution and plastic embedding, is a reliable method for the ultrastructural analysis of mammalian cell monolayers...
- Use of anti-fluorophore antibody to achieve high-sensitivity immunolocalizations of transporters and ion channelsRichard A Coleman
Physiology Department, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 54:817-27. 2006..In demonstration of the methods, we describe the localization of the thiazide-sensitive sodium/chloride cotransporter and the epithelial sodium channel in rat kidney...
- [Retrospection of hematopathologic research of the past 50 years in China]Hui shu Chen
Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi 34:553-5. 2005
- Plastic embedding and polishing of bone for reflected light and electron microscopyA H J Wighton
Department of Mineralogy, The Natural History Museum, London, UK
Methods Mol Biol 915:21-36. 2012..This chapter provides the protocol for bone that has proved successful at the Natural History Museum, both for reflected light and particularly for scanning electron microscopic examination...
- The sectional anatomy of the carpal tunnel and its related neurovascular structures studied by using plastinationM C Sora
Plastination Laboratory, Institute of Anatomy, Vienna University, Vienna, Austria
Eur J Neurol 12:380-4. 2005..Our findings can be used as anatomic landmarks of the carpal tunnel and could be helpful to physicians performing carpal tunnel investigations...
- Demonstration of intravital microfissures in undecalcified plastic-embedded temporal bones with the prestaining techniqueT Frisch
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 110:749-57. 2001..The importance of microfissures in the petrous bone in the causation of otosclerosis and perilymphatic leakage has long been discussed, and the present techniques may advance our understanding of these pathological conditions..
- Optic nerve compression analyzed by using plastinationM C Sora
Plastination Laboratory, Institute of Anatomy, Vienna University, Währingerstrasse 13 3, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Surg Radiol Anat 24:205-8. 2002..This allowed the determination of different parameters of the optic nerve, as well as histological examination by hematoxylin and eosin staining up to a magnification of x40...
- Physical and cytochemical properties of neutrophils activated in situ in the lung during ZAP infusion in sheepK H Albertine
Department of Medicine, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107
J Appl Physiol (1985) 74:1361-73. 1993....
- Comparing apical preparations of root canals shaped by nickel-titanium rotary instruments and nickel-titanium hand instrumentsP Deplazes
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology, and Cardiology, School of Dentistry, Zurich, Switzerland
J Endod 27:196-202. 2001..Both types of instruments produced similar displacement of canal centers after preparation...
- Co-localization of multiple antigens and specific DNA. A novel method using methyl methacrylate-embedded semithin serial sections and catalyzed reporter depositionM Mueller
Department of Neurology, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Munster, Germany
Am J Pathol 157:1829-38. 2000..It also proved useful in the co-localization of multiple antigens in peripheral nerve biopsies...
- Improved cytochemical methods for demonstrating cell death using LR White as an embedding mediumA A Al-Hazzaa
School of Pure and Applied Biology, University of Wales Cardiff, UK
Histochem J 30:897-902. 1998..Parallel histochemical localization of acid phosphatase activity is also presented...
- Cold-temperature plastic resin embedding of liver for DNA- and RNA-based genotypingS D Finkelstein
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Mol Diagn 1:17-22. 1999..We recommend the use of Immunobed or similar products for use in molecular anatomical pathology...
- BS-SEM evaluation of the tissular interactions between cortical bone and calcium-phosphate covered titanium implantsM C Manzanares
Laboratorio de Tejidos Calcificados, Unidad de Anatomía Campus de Bellvitge, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
Bull Group Int Rech Sci Stomatol Odontol 43:100-8. 2001....
- Clearing and embedding in polyester resin for demonstrating the nerve distribution pattern of skeletal musclesT Peker
Gazi University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Anatomy, Besevler Ankara, Turkey
Biotech Histochem 78:187-90. 2003..Furthermore, it is more convenient to examine and to photograph specimens cleared and embedded in polyester than those stored in glycerol...
- The effect of dental implant spacing on peri-implant bone using the rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) tibia modelC L Hatley
Staff Prosthodontist, U.S. Army Dental Activity, Fort Stewart, GA, USA
J Prosthodont 10:154-9. 2001..CONCLUSION: Within the limits of this study, it seems placing implants closely together does not adversely affect bone height or density. Conversely, it seems that placing implants closer together may increase bone growth...
- Comparison of LR White and Unicryl as embedding media for light and electron immunomicroscopy of chromaffin cellsG Goping
Laboratory of Cell Biology and Genetics, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0804, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 44:289-95. 1996..The basis for this distinction is better ultrastructural preservation and improved immunodetection efficiency...
- Enhancement of immunogold-labelled focal adhesion sites in fibroblasts cultured on metal substrates: problems and solutionsG R Owen
AO Research Institute, Clavadelerstrasse, Davos Platz, Switzerland
Cell Biol Int 25:1251-9. 2001..Therefore, comparative studies of cell adhesion to different biomaterial substrates can be performed using immunogold-labelling with gold enhancement...
- Bone histomorphometry in three females with Rett syndromeS S Budden
Division of Developmental Pediatrics, Oregon Health Sciences University, P O Box 574, Portland, OR 97207, USA
Brain Dev 23:S133-7. 2001..Samples were processed for plastic embedding, sectioned, stained, and histomorphometry performed in the cancellous bone...
- Reflection contrast microscopy: The bridge between light and electron microscopyF A Prins
Department of Pathology, Leiden University Hospital, The Netherlands
Methods Mol Biol 319:363-401. 2006..Therefore, plastic embedding is recommended.
- Lysosomal accumulation of SCMAS (subunit c of mitochondrial ATP synthase) in neurons of the mouse model of mucopolysaccharidosis III BSergey Ryazantsev
Department of Biological Chemistry, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1737, USA
Mol Genet Metab 90:393-401. 2007..Samples used for cryo-EM and further processed by standard EM procedures (osmium tetroxide fixation and plastic embedding) showed the disappearance of the SCMAS fingerprint arrays and appearance in the same location of "zebra ..
- Reclamation of acetone in plastination laboratories: a simple and inexpensive methodG Grondin
Departement de Chimie Biologie, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, Canada
Acta Anat (Basel) 158:26-9. 1997..In addition vaporized acetone released during the impregnation step of plastination is recaptured...
- In vivo and in vitro effects of an Er:YAG laser, a GaAlAs diode laser, and scaling and root planing on periodontally diseased root surfaces: a comparative histologic studyFrank Schwarz
Department of Oral Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Lasers Surg Med 32:359-66. 2003....
- Behavioral, histological, and ex vivo magnetic resonance imaging assessment of graded contusion spinal cord injury in miceRebecca A Nishi
CRF Spinal Cord Injury Core Research Facility, University of California, Irvine, California 92697 4540, USA
J Neurotrauma 24:674-89. 2007..These results give researchers more options in how to analyze spinal cord injuries in animal models...
- A novel bone scraper for intraoral harvesting: a device for filling small bone defectsDavide Zaffe
Department of Anatomy and Histology, Section of Human Anatomy, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Clin Oral Implants Res 18:525-33. 2007..To evaluate histologically the morphology and characteristics of bone chips harvested intraorally by Safescraper, a specially designed cortical bone collector...
- Taking public education seriously: BODY WORLDS, the science museum, and democratizing bioethics educationCatherine Myser
Am J Bioeth 7:34-6; discussion W1-3. 2007
- Fluorescence-integrated transmission electron microscopy images: integrating fluorescence microscopy with transmission electron microscopyPaul A Sims
Zoology Department, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
Methods Mol Biol 369:291-308. 2007..This procedure preserves the structure and function of green fluorescent protein (GFP) as determined by immunogold labeling of GFP, when compared with GFP expression, both demonstrated in the same thin section...
- Adverse Effects of Noise on Hearing: Basic MechanismsBarbara A Bohne; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our results will provide information on mechanisms of damage from moderate noise so that drugs that will prevent or minimize noise-induced hair-cell death can be developed. ..
- A MULTI-SCALE APPROACH TO CELL STRUCTURE &FUNCTIONAndreas Hoenger; Fiscal Year: 2013..molecular resolution in 3-D, and large-scale 3-D imaging typically provided by freeze-substitution and plastic embedding of cells and tissue...