Genomes and Genes
Summary: The use of silver, usually silver nitrate, as a reagent for producing contrast or coloration in tissue specimens.
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- Improved silver staining protocols for high sensitivity protein identification using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization-time of flight analysisE Mortz
MDS Proteomics, Odense, Denmark
Proteomics 1:1359-63. 2001..b>Silver staining is currently the most popular method...
- Silver staining of proteins in polyacrylamide gelsMireille Chevallet
CEA Grenoble, DRDC ICH, 38054 Grenoble, Cedex 9, France
Nat Protoc 1:1852-8. 2006b>Silver staining is used to detect proteins after electrophoretic separation on polyacrylamide gels. It combines excellent sensitivity (in the low nanogram range) with the use of very simple and cheap equipment and chemicals...
- A silver staining method for single-cell gel assayS B Nadin
Laboratory of Reproduction and Lactation, Regional Center for Scientific and Technological Research, National Research Council of Argentina, Mendoza, Argentina
J Histochem Cytochem 49:1183-6. 2001..Here we describe, using human lymphocytes, some modifications of the silver staining for comets that significantly increase the sensitivity/reproducibility of the assay...
- A modified silver staining protocol for visualization of proteins compatible with matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization and electrospray ionization-mass spectrometryJ X Yan
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College School of Medicine, Heart Science Center, Harefield Hospital, Middlesex, UK
Electrophoresis 21:3666-72. 2000..b>Silver staining remains the most sensitive method for visualization of proteins separated by two-dimensional gel ..
- New temperature modification makes the Bielschowsky silver stain reproducibleS Litchfield
OPTIMA, Department of Neuropathology, University of Oxford, Radcliffe Infirmary NHS Trust, UK
Acta Neuropathol 101:17-21. 2001..We found that the most reliable and easily reproducible modification of the Bielschowsky silver impregnation is the one that uses incubations at 5 degrees C...
- An optimal method of DNA silver staining in polyacrylamide gelsYan Chuang Han
Key Lab of the Ministry of Education for Plant Developmental, Biology, College of Life Science, Wuhan University, Wuhan, PR China
Electrophoresis 29:1355-8. 2008DNA silver staining has widely been used to detect DNA fragments in polyacrylamide gels with high sensitivity. We developed an optimal method for DNA silver staining on polyacrylamide gels...
- Visualizing quantum dots in biological samples using silver stainingLeo Y T Chou
Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anal Chem 81:4560-5. 2009..Here, we demonstrate the use of silver staining for directly visualizing the distribution of QDs within biological samples under bright field microscopy...
- Relationships between transcription, silver staining, and chromatin organization of nucleolar organizers in Secale cerealeAna D Caperta
Centro Botânica Aplicada à Agricultura, Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Technical University of Lisbon, Lisboa
Protoplasma 232:55-9. 2007..To test the relationship between rRNA gene activity, NOR silver staining, and rDNA (genes coding for rRNA) chromatin condensation, we used the DNA methyl-transferase inhibitor 5-..
- Purification and separation of hydrophobic serum amyloid A precursor isoforms by a one-step preparative methodDaniela Ham
Institute of Preventive Medicine, Jostova 10, 66 243 Brno, Czech Republic
J Immunol Methods 303:11-8. 2005..These results show that the preparative gel electrophoresis system Prep-Cell is a suitable device for separating SAA1 and SAA2 proteins in a simplified, convenient, and fast procedure, which can be applied on a small or large scale...
- Introduction of tyramide signal amplification (TSA) to pre-embedding nanogold-silver staining at the electron microscopic levelSeung Won Lee
Department of Anatomy, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Korea
J Histochem Cytochem 53:249-52. 2005..Moreover, the gold particles were well localized to the cis-side of the Golgi apparatus in both the TSA and the simple protocol...
- Sweet silver: a formaldehyde-free silver staining using aldoses as developing agents, with enhanced compatibility with mass spectrometryMireille Chevallet
CEA Laboratoire de Biochimie et Biophysique des systèmes Intégrés, iRTSV BBSI, CEA Grenoble, Grenoble, France
Proteomics 8:4853-61. 2008..Speed, low cost, and user friendliness are also favored features. Silver staining combines many of these features, but its compatibility with MS is limited...
- Enhance the efficiency of single-strand conformation polymorphism analysis by short polyacrylamide gel and modified silver stainingChunlei Zhang
College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A and F University, Shaanxi Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology for Agriculture, Yangling, Shaanxi 712100, People s Republic of China
Anal Biochem 365:286-7. 2007
- Prognostic significance of DNA cytometry in combination with AgNOR investigationMarijana Coric
Institute of Pathology, Medical School University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Acta Otolaryngol 127:1332-7. 2007..The observed intratumoral heterogeneity could represent a possible source of conflicting and inconsistent results...
- Evaluation of argyrophilic nucleolar organizer regions in tongue squamous cell carcinomasL Yue
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Japan
Oral Oncol 35:70-6. 1999Using a silver staining technique, argyrophilic nucleolar organizer regions (AgNORs) were studied on the biopsy specimens taken from 67 tongue squamous cell carcinomas (SCCs), and the relations of the results of AgNORs to the ..
- Usefulness of AgNOR counts in diagnosing epithelial dysplasiaJay G Ray
Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology, Dr R Ahmed Dental College and, Hospital, Kolkata, India
J Oral Pathol Med 32:71-6. 2003..Diagnosis of epithelial dysplasia has traditionally been subjective, and there is a need for a quantifiable and useful test...
- Dynamics of learning-induced spine redistribution along dendrites of pyramidal neurons in ratsShira Knafo
Faculty of Health Sciences and Zlotowski Center for Neuroscience, Ben Gurion University, Geersheva, Israel
Eur J Neurosci 21:927-35. 2005..We suggest that spine density changes may represent a mechanism of selective synaptic reorganization required for olfactory learning consolidation...
- Immunoassay using probe-labelling immunogold nanoparticles with silver staining enhancement via surface-enhanced Raman scatteringShuping Xu
Key Laboratory for Supramolecular Structure and Material of Ministry of Education, Jilin University, Changchun 130021, P R China
Analyst 129:63-8. 2004..reports a novel immunoassay based on surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) and immunogold labelling with silver staining enhancement. Immunoreactions between immunogold colloids modified by a Raman-active probe molecule (e.g...
- AgNOR cut-point to distinguish mild and moderate epithelial dysplasiaAmit Chattopadhyay
Department of Epidemiology, University of Kentucky College of Public Health, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
J Oral Pathol Med 37:78-82. 2008..We demonstrated earlier that silver-stainable nucleolar organizer region (AgNOR) is a simple, inexpensive and quantifiable method which can standardize this distinction reliably...
- Silver staining DNA in polyacrylamide gelsBrant J Bassam
Corbett Life Science, Brisbane Technology Park, 42 McKechnie Drive, Eight Mile Plains, Queensland 4113, Australia
Nat Protoc 2:2649-54. 2007This protocol describes a simple silver staining method used to visualize DNA fragments and other organic molecules with unsurpassed detail following traditional polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (PAGE)...
- A study of the utility of silver nucleolar organizer regions in categorization and prognosis of salivary gland tumorsBukola F Adeyemi
Department of Oral Pathology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 102:513-20. 2006..this study aimed at assessing the utility of silver nucleolar organizer region (AgNOR) staining in categorization and prognostication of salivary gland tumors...
- Assessment of the progressive nature of cell damage in the pilocarpine model of epilepsyL Covolan
Departamento de Fisiologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 39:915-24. 2006..As a consequence of both mechanisms, subsequent insults after an initial insult result in very little damage regardless of their intensity...
- A mass spectrometry compatible silver staining method for protein incorporating a new silver sensitizer in sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide electrophoresis gelsLi Tai Jin
College of Pharmacy, Chonnam National University, Kwangju, South Korea
Proteomics 6:2334-7. 2006A quick, sensitive, and MALDI-TOF MS compatible silver staining method, namely Eriochrome black T (EBT)-silver method, is described. The method can detect 0.05-0.2 ng protein within 60 min in SDS-PAGE gels...
- Neuron-specific expression of mutant superoxide dismutase is sufficient to induce amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in transgenic miceDick Jaarsma
Department of Neuroscience, Erasmus Medical Center, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurosci 28:2075-88. 2008..Together, our findings support a pathogenic scenario in which mutant SOD1 in neurons triggers neuronal degeneration, which in turn may facilitate aggregate formation in surrounding glial cells...
- Silver stains distinguish tau-positive structures in corticobasal degeneration/progressive supranuclear palsy and in Alzheimer's disease--comparison between Gallyas and Campbell-Switzer methodsToshiki Uchihara
Department of Neuropathology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, 2 6 Musashi dai, Fuchu, 183 8526, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Neuropathol 109:299-305. 2005..The absence of CS staining is characteristic of tau-positive structures of CBD/PSP, which is readily distinguishable from NFTs of DS/AD, hence is of potential pathological and diagnostic relevance...
- Visual gene diagnosis of HBV and HCV based on nanoparticle probe amplification and silver staining enhancementYe Fu Wang
College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan, Peoples Republic of China
J Med Virol 70:205-11. 2003..was detected visually by sandwich hybridization based on highly sensitive "nano-amplification" and silver staining. Different genotypes of Hepatitis B and C viruses in the serum samples from infected patients were detected ..
- Silver staining profiles distinguish Pick bodies from neurofibrillary tangles of Alzheimer type: comparison between Gallyas and Campbell-Switzer methodsToshiki Uchihara
Department of Neuropathology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, 2 6 Musashi dai, Fuchu, 183 8526, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Neuropathol 109:483-9. 2005b>Silver staining profiles of Pick bodies (PBs) and their relation to tau-like immunoreactivity were examined on hippocampal sections and compared with those of neurofibrillary tangles of Alzheimer type (NFTs)...
- Rapid and simultaneous detection of human hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus antibodies based on a protein chip assay using nano-gold immunological amplification and silver staining methodLianlian Duan
Department of Biotechnology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, 430072, Wuhan, Hubei, People s Republic of China
BMC Infect Dis 5:53. 2005..In our assay, a protein chip assay using Nano-gold Immunological Amplification and Silver Staining (NIASS) method was applied to detect HBV and HCV antibodies rapidly and simultaneously.
- Previsible silver staining of protein in electrophoresis gels with mass spectrometry compatibilityLi Tai Jin
School of Pharmacy, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou 325 000, China
Anal Biochem 383:137-43. 2008A convenient silver staining method for protein in sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) gels is described. The method is previsible, sensitive, and mass spectrometry (MS) compatible...
- Sensitivity and variability of visual scoring in the comet assay. Results of an inter-laboratory scoring exercise with the use of silver stainingOmar Garcia
Centro de Protección e Higiene de las Radiaciones, Calle 20, No 4113 e 41 y 47, Playa, CP, 11300 La Habana, Cuba
Mutat Res 556:25-34. 2004..The results of the exercise show the reliability of the silver staining and visual scoring for the comet method.
- About the mechanism of interference of silver staining with peptide mass spectrometrySophie Richert
Laboratoire de Spectrometrie de Masse Bio Organique, UMR CNRS 7509, ECPM, Strasbourg, France
Proteomics 4:909-16. 2004The mechanism by which silver staining of proteins in polyacrylamide gels interferes with mass spectrometry of peptides produced by proteolysis has been investigated...
- Pathological circumstances impair the ability of "dark" neurons to undergo spontaneous recoveryFerenc Gallyas
Department of Neurosurgery, Pecs University, Hungary
Brain Res 1110:211-20. 2006..All these features support our previous assumption that the exogenous circumstances existing acutely after the formation of "dark" neurons in neurological diseases decide whether they will recover or die...
- A comparison of immunohistochemical and silver staining methods for the detection of diffuse plaques in the aged canine brainS Czasch
Institut fur Pathologie, Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover, Bunteweg 17, D 30559 Hannover, Germany
Neurobiol Aging 27:293-305. 2006....
- Silver staining of nucleolar organizer regions (NOR) in some species of Hymenoptera (bees and parasitic wasp) and Coleoptera (lady-beetle)E M Maffei
Departamento de Biologia Geral, , Minas Gerais, Brasil
Cytobios 104:119-25. 2001..The systematic advances brought out by using this technique in the context of current theories of karyotypic evolution of these taxa are described and discussed...
- Prognostic value of histobiological factors (malignancy grading and AgNOR content) assessed at the invasive tumour front of oral squamous cell carcinomasJ Piffko
Department of Cranio Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Munster, Germany
Br J Cancer 75:1543-6. 1997..Proliferative activity, assessed by standardized AgNOR analysis, most probably represents one of the biological features underlying the usefulness of evaluating the invasive tumour front...
- Sensitive silver staining of protein in sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gels using an azo dye, calconcarboxylic acid, as a silver-ion sensitizerLi Tai Jin
College of Pharmacy, Chonnam National University, Kwangju, South Korea
Electrophoresis 25:2494-500. 2004A highly sensitive silver staining method for detecting proteins in sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) was developed...
- Expression of high-abundance proteins in sera of patients with endometrial and cervical cancers: analysis using 2-DE with silver staining and lectin detection methodsPuteri S Abdul-Rahman
Department of Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Electrophoresis 28:1989-96. 2007..Analysis by using the champedak galactose binding lectin further highlighted an unidentified protein that may be differently glycosylated in the sera of the EACa patients that were studied...
- Detection of known thalassemia point mutations by snapback single-strand conformation polymorphism: the feasibility analysisWei Li
Medical Science Research Center, Guangxi Medical University, and Department of Anal and Colorectal Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Guangxi Medical University, PR China
Clin Biochem 39:833-42. 2006..To explore if snapback single-strand conformation polymorphism (snapback SSCP) can be applied to the detection of known thalassemia point mutations...
- Efficient and sensitive method of DNA silver staining in polyacrylamide gelsLujiang Qu
Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
Electrophoresis 26:99-101. 2005DNA silver staining is widely used to detect DNA fragment in polyacrylamide gel with high sensitivity. Conventional procedures of the silver staining involve several steps, which take about 40 min to 2 h in total...
- Comparative study on rapid dot-immunogold staining and two immunogold silver staining assays for diagnosing schistosomiasis japonicaLiu Yisheng
Department of Parasitology, Xuzhou Medical College, Xuzhou, Jiangsu, PR China
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 36:79-82. 2005..The assay took 15 minutes. For comparison, the dot-immunogold silver staining (Dot-IGSS) and rapid micro-volume Dot-IGSS (RM-Dot-IGSS) assay were also performed...
- Argyrophilic grain disease is a sporadic 4-repeat tauopathyTakashi Togo
Department of Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 61:547-56. 2002..These results suggest that AGD, PSP and CBD are 4R tauopathies that share common pathologic, biochemical, and genetic characteristics...
- Age-related changes of sulphide-silver staining in the rat hippocampusP Barili
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmacologiche e Medicina Sperimentale, Universita di Camerino, Italy
Mech Ageing Dev 99:83-94. 1997..Microdensitometric analysis of values of sulphide-silver staining corrected for the volume of hippocampal areas investigated revealed no age-dependent changes of staining in ..
- Silver staining of proteins in 2DE gelsCécile Lelong
CEA DSV iRTSV LBBSI and UMR CNRS 5092, CEA Grenoble, 17 rue des Martyrs, F 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Methods Mol Biol 519:339-50. 2009b>Silver staining detects proteins after electrophoretic separation on polyacrylamide gels. Its main positive features are its excellent sensitivity (in the low nanogram range) and the use of very simple and cheap equipment and chemicals...
- Improved mass spectrometry compatibility is afforded by ammoniacal silver stainingMireille Chevallet
CEA Laboratoire d Immunochimie, DRDC ICH, INSERM U 548, CEA Grenoble, Grenoble, France
Proteomics 6:2350-4. 2006..offer improved sequence coverage over standard silver nitrate methods, while keeping the high sensitivity of silver staining. With the development of 2D-PAGE-based proteomics, another burden is placed on the detection methods used for ..
- Rapid detection of fungal filaments in corneal scrapings by microwave heating-assisted Grocott's methenamine silver stainingGeeta K Vemuganti
Ophthalmic Pathology Service, L V Prasad Eye Institute, L V Prasad Marg, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad 500 034, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 50:326-8. 2002..A technique using microwave energy to reduce the duration of Gomori's silver staining is described.
- Silver staining combined with alcian blue and hematoxylin-eosin for the detection of Lawsonia intracelullaris in swine proliferative enteropathyDavid Driemeier
Department of Veterinary Pathology, UFRGS, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Acta Histochem 104:285-7. 2002..However, the method presented here enables examination of large numbers of sections in a relatively short period of time...
- TRAP-silver staining, a highly sensitive assay for measuring telomerase activity in tumor tissue and cell linesC A Dalla Torre
Divisão de Genética, Departamento de Morfologia, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 35:65-8. 2002..We propose that it could be immediately applicable in many laboratories due to the minimal amount of equipment required...
- Different conformation of neuronal tau deposits distinguished by double immunofluorescence with AT8 and thiazin red combined with Gallyas methodT Uchihara
Department of Neuropathology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Japan
Acta Neuropathol 102:462-6. 2001....
- Argyrophilic grains are not always argyrophilic--distinction from neurofibrillary tangles of diffuse neurofibrillary tangles with calcification revealed by comparison between Gallyas and Campbell-Switzer methodsToshiki Uchihara
Department of Neuropathology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, 2 6 Musashi dai, Fuchu, 183 8526, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Neuropathol 110:158-64. 2005b>Silver staining profiles of argyrophilic grains (AGs) and of neurofibrillary tangles (NFTs) of diffuse neurofibrillary tangles with calcification (DNTC, collectively as DNTC-NFTs) were examined for their relation to tau- and ubiquitin-..
- Argyrophilic grain disease: a late-onset dementia with distinctive features among tauopathiesMarkus Tolnay
Institute of Pathology, Department of Neuropathology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Neuropathology 24:269-83. 2004....
- Silver staining method for demonstrating Lewy bodies in Parkinson's disease and argyrophilic oligodendrocytes in multiple system atrophyE Braak
Department of Anatomy, J W Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Neurosci Methods 87:111-5. 1999A reliable and economical silver staining method is recommended for demonstration of Lewy bodies (LB) and Lewy neurites (LN) in Parkinson's disease (PD) and of argyrophilic oligodendrocytes in multiple system atrophy (MSA)...
- Silver stainings distinguish Lewy bodies and glial cytoplasmic inclusions: comparison between Gallyas-Braak and Campbell-Switzer methodsToshiki Uchihara
Department of Neuropathology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, 2 6 Musashi dai, Fuchu, 183 8526 Tokyo, Japan
Acta Neuropathol 110:255-60. 2005..Even though these empirical differences still remain to be explained, awareness of this clear distinction is potentially of diagnostic and pathological relevance...
- Familial tauopathy mimicking corticobasal degeneration an autopsy study on three siblingsToshiki Uchihara
Department of Neuropathology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, 2 6 Musashi dai, Fuchu, Tokyo, 183 8526, Japan
J Neurol Sci 246:45-51. 2006..This familial tauopathy can be classified as an extremely rare example of CBD based on the distribution of characteristic lesions and staining profiles of tau-deposits...
- Corticobasal degeneration: widespread argentophilic threads and glia in addition to neurofibrillary tangles. Similarities of cytoskeletal abnormalities in corticobasal degeneration and progressive supranuclear palsyT Takahashi
Division of Neurology and Psychiatry, Kanagawa Rehabilitation Center, Atsugi, Japan
J Neurol Sci 138:66-77. 1996..These findings suggest a common cytoskeletal etiopathological significance in corticobasal degeneration and progressive supranuclear palsy...
- Tau-positive neurons in corticobasal degeneration and Alzheimer's disease--distinction by thiazin red and silver impregnationsT Uchihara
Department of Neuropathology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Japan
Acta Neuropathol 100:385-9. 2000..Clarifying the process of tau assembly using this fluorochrome will give a clue to understanding mechanisms of tau deposition, which may be different in various neurological disorders...
- Utility of reflex Gomori methenamine silver staining for Pneumocystis jirovecii on bronchoalveolar lavage cytologic specimens: a reviewAziza Nassar
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, Emory University Hospital, 1364 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 34:719-23. 2006..Thus, from diagnostic and cost benefit perspectives, GMS staining can be recommended only on cases where Pap stain is negative, and the clinical presentation is consistent with Pneumocystis pneumonia...
- [Assessment of the AgNORs count in serous ovarian cancer]Leszek Gottwald
Klinika Ginekologii i Onkologii Ginekologicznej Instytutu Ginekologii i Połoznictwa UM w Lodzi, Lodz
Ginekol Pol 75:770-5. 2004..The survival rate of patients with ovarian cancer strongly depends on staging and grading. The next potential, independent prognostic factor might be the amount of nucleolar organizer regions (AgNORs) in cancer cells...
- Cyclin D1 expression in pre-cancerous and cancerous lesions of the canine mammary glandA Sfacteria
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Messina, Polo Universitario dell Annunziata, Italy
J Comp Pathol 128:245-51. 2003..This study may contribute to the establishment of an animal model for anti-cancer research based on cyclin D1 suppression or cdk inactivation, or both...
- Sensitivity and specificity of immunohistochemical antibodies used to distinguish between benign and malignant pleural disease: a systematic review of published reportsJ King
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Histopathology 49:561-8. 2006..A systematic review of published reports that have evaluated the ability of immunohistochemistry and argyrophil nucleolar organizing region (AgNOR) staining to distinguish between benign and malignant pleural disease...
- Protection with estradiol in developmental models of apoptotic neurodegenerationStiliani Asimiadou
Neuroscience Research Center, Charite, Humboldt University Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Ann Neurol 58:266-76. 2005..Its supplementation may particularly help to improve neurocognitive outcome in preterm infants who are prematurely deprived of maternal estrogen...
- Cytogenetic studies in bone marrow cells from Wistar rats in protein malnutritionS Olmos
, , , , Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Metabolism 50:1025-9. 2001..We conclude from these results that severe protein deficiency at weaning alters several aspects of bone marrow cell proliferation and ribosomal gene activity as determined by the number of silver stained nucleolus organizer regions...
- The effect of diabetes mellitus on the expression of Argyrophilic nucleolar organizer regions (AgNORs) in mucosal epithelium under experimental denture bases in ratsYukinori Maruo
Department of Occlusal and Oral Functional Rehabilitation, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama, Japan
J Oral Pathol Med 32:171-5. 2003..Expression of argyrophilic nucleolar organizer regions (AgNOR) was counted on mucosal epithelium to detect whether the AgNOR count (the number of AgNOR per nucleus) is, for 20 weeks, affected by streptozotocin-induced diabetes mellitus...
- In vivo response to the different LET regions of a 55 MeV helium ion beamM E Itoiz
Department of Oral Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry University of Buenos Aires, Marcelo T de Alvear 2142, 1122, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Radiat Environ Biophys 41:257-66. 2002..The AgNOR provide quantitative evidence of differential damage in neighboring tissue areas exposed to different LET regions of a helium-ion beam...
- Studies on nucleolar organiser regions (AgNors) in selected spontaneous and transplantable animal tumorsS Dzimira
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Pathophysiology, Microbiology and Forensic Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Agricultural Academy, Norwid Street 35, 50 375 Wrocław, Poland
Pol J Vet Sci 8:127-35. 2005..15. Classification of the studied spontaneous and transplantable tumors into groups of the same histogenesis, though phenotypically different, was aimed at demonstration of the increasing tendency of AgNOR index...
- Cell swelling stimulates cytosol to membrane transposition of IClnMarkus Ritter
Department of Physiology, University of Innsbruck, Fritz Pregl Strasse 3, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
J Biol Chem 278:50163-74. 2003..In these cells, RVDC develops more rapidly, and in MDCK cells the rate of swelling-induced depolarization is accelerated if cells are swollen for a second time. This coincides with an enhanced ICln association with the cell membrane...
- Energy failure in astrocytes increases the vulnerability of neurons to spreading depressionXiao yuan Lian
Department of Pharmacology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Eur J Neurosci 19:2446-54. 2004..The neuroprotective effects of dimethyl sulfoxide, deferoxamine and fructose-1,6-bisphosphate suggest that oxidative stress contributes to the neurotoxicity in this situation...
- Altered cortical synaptic morphology and impaired memory consolidation in forebrain- specific dominant-negative PAK transgenic miceMansuo L Hayashi
The Picower Center for Learning and Memory, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, RIKEN MIT Neuroscience Research Center, Center for Cancer Research, Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Neuron 42:773-87. 2004..Thus, our results provide evidence for critical relationships between synaptic morphology and bidirectional modifiability of synaptic strength in the cortex and consolidation of long-term memory...
- The changes in AgNOR parameters of dorsal raphe nucleus neurons are related to suicideTomasz Gos
Institute of Forensic Medicine, Medical University of Gdansk, Debowa 23, 80 204 Gdansk, Poland
Leg Med (Tokyo) 9:251-7. 2007..The karyometric parameters of DRN neurons were evaluated by AgNOR (Argyrophilic Nucleolar Organizer) silver staining method...
- Activity of nucleolar organizers in hepatocytes of rats with cirrhosis of the liver after treatment with bioactive preparationsA M Malysheva
Artificial Organs and Cells Laboratory, Southern Ural Research Center, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences
Bull Exp Biol Med 142:102-4. 2006..Evaluation of the nucleolar organizer activity showed the highest efficiency of treatment with human fetal liver extract...
- AgNOR, Ki-67 and PCNA expression in fibroepithelial tumours of the breast in correlation with morphological featuresMałgorzata Barwijuk-Machała
Department of Pathology, Medical University, Białystok, Poland
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 63:133-5. 2004..The results obtained confirm the diagnostic difficulties in distinguishing PTLGM from FA of the cellular type using fine needle aspiration cytology...
- Cell kinetics analysis in stage I endometrial carcinoma as determined by image cytometry and immunohistochemistry. Correlation with clinicopathologic characteristicsDimosthenis Miliaras
Department of Pathology, General Clinic, and Laboratory of Histology and Embryology, Medical Faculty, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 26:7-14. 2004..To test the significance of various proliferative indices in endometrial carcinoma (EC) since previous investigations failed to yield consistent results that would establish them as factors of clinical importance...
- Usefulness of argyrophilic nucleolar organizer regions in detection of lung cells alterations after benzo[a]pyrene instillationBaldomero Antonio Kato da Silva
Postgraduate Program in Health Sciences in the Central West Region UnB and UFMS, Brazil
Acta Cir Bras 21:36-9. 2006..To verify the relationship between AgNOR expression and lung tissues changes of Wistar rats after pulmonary instillation of benzo[a]pyrene (B[a]P)...
- Two-dimensional electrophoretic profiling of normal human kidney glomerulus proteome and construction of an extensible markup language (XML)-based databaseYutaka Yoshida
Department of Structural Pathology, Institute of Nephrology, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata University, Niigata, Japan
Proteomics 5:1083-96. 2005..The database is deposited on a web site (http://www.sw.nec.co.jp/bio/rd/hgldb/index.html) in a form accessible to researchers to contribute to proteomic studies of human glomerulus in health and disease...
- Calpain-mediated mGluR1alpha truncation: a key step in excitotoxicityWei Xu
Neuroscience Program, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 2520, USA
Neuron 53:399-412. 2007..These findings shed light on the relationship between NMDA and mGluR1alpha and indicate the existence of a positive feedback regulation in excitotoxicity involving calpain and mGluR1alpha...
- Nectin-like molecule-1/TSLL1/SynCAM3: a neural tissue-specific immunoglobulin-like cell-cell adhesion molecule localizing at non-junctional contact sites of presynaptic nerve terminals, axons and glia cell processesShigeki Kakunaga
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine Faculty of Medicine, Suita 565 0871, Osaka, Japan
J Cell Sci 118:1267-77. 2005....
- Assessment of proliferative activity by AgNOR and PCNA in prostatic tissues of ram lambs implanted with zeranolM Y Gulbahar
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ondokuz Mayis, Kurupelit, Samsun, Turkey
Reprod Domest Anim 40:468-74. 2005..Therefore, the controversial results arising from the combined use of both techniques as proliferating markers for the ram prostate should be considered in further studies...
- Comparative study of DNA synthesis and nucleolar organizer regions of sinusoid littoral cells in mouse regenerating liverCarlos A Martín
Instituto de Embriologia, Biología e Histología Facultad de Ciencias Médicas UNLP Calle 60 y 120 1900 La Plata Argentina
Biocell 29:33-8. 2005..Immunohistochemical detection of Bromodeoxyuridine (BrdU) with a monoclonal antibody and silver staining of NORs (AgNORs) were assessed by means of a digital image analysis system in histological sections...
- Preventive effect of fermented brown rice and rice bran on diethylnitrosoamine and phenobarbital-induced hepatocarcinogenesis in male F344 ratsMasaki Katayama
Department of Pathology, Gifu University School of Medicine, 40 Tsukasa Machi, Gifu 500 8705, Japan
Oncol Rep 10:875-80. 2003..5+/-0.6 vs. 0.2+/-0.4 and 0.1+/-0.3, respectively). These data prove that FBRA has an inhibitory effect on the hepatocarcinogenesis in rats. FBRA could be a promising chemopreventive agent for human liver as well as colorectal neoplasia...
- Protein-tyrosine phosphatase-sigma is a novel member of the functional family of alpha-latrotoxin receptorsValery Krasnoperov
Department of Pharmacology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Biol Chem 277:35887-95. 2002....
- Proliferative activity of epidermal basal cells after wounding. AgNOR counts compared with bromodeoxyuridine reactivity in ratsA P Rebolledo Godoy
Department of Neurosurgery, , Germany
Exp Toxicol Pathol 53:65-9. 2001..nucleolus organizer regions (NORs) are known markers of proliferation that can be demonstrated by a specific silver staining technique on paraffin-embedded sections...
- Early diagnosis of mesothelioma in serous effusions using AgNOR analysisN Pomjanski
Institute of Cytopathology, Heinrich Heine University, Moorenstrasse 5, , Germany
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 23:151-60. 2001..Seventy-three percent of malignant mesotheliomas were diagnosed cytologically at first on effusions. Forty-seven percent of patients with malignant mesotheliomas were identified at the early tumor stage T1 N0 M0...
- Satellite nucleoli in the megakaryocytic lineage of ratsJ Janoutová
Institute of Histology and Embryology, Third Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 50:113-7. 2001..The decreased incidence of satellite nucleoli in naked megakaryocytic nuclei might reflect their disintegration in the terminal stages of the megakaryocytic development...
- Expressions of proliferation markers (Ki-67, proliferating cell nuclear antigen, and silver-staining nucleolar organizer regions) and of p53 tumor protein in gestational trophoblastic diseaseA Kale
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Ankara University, Turkey
Am J Obstet Gynecol 184:567-74. 2001..One-step silver staining was used to detect silver-staining nucleolar organizer regions...
- Effects of green tea on colonic aberrant crypt foci and proliferative indexes in ratsX Jia
Institute of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Beijing 100050, People's Republic of China
Nutr Cancer 39:239-43. 2001..It was concluded that green tea drinking inhibited ACF formation in rats, and such effects may be related to the suppression of cell proliferation in the intestinal crypts...
- The effect of desalivation on 4-nitroquinoline-1-oxide-induced tongue carcinogenesis: a morphometric study of nucleolar organizer regionsI Kaplan
Department of Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
J Oral Pathol Med 30:48-52. 2001..AgNOR stain seems to be sensitive and allows for early identification of intranuclear changes...
- Expression of topoisomerase IIalpha, Ki-67, proliferating cell nuclear antigen, p53, and argyrophilic nucleolar organizer regions in vulvar squamous lesionsHermann Brustmann
Department of Pathology, Landeskrankenhaus, Moedling Vienna, Austria
Gynecol Oncol 86:192-9. 2002....
- Modified silver staining of nucleolar organizer regions to improve the accuracy of image analysisS C Orrea
Oral Pathology Department Faculty of Dentistry, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Biotech Histochem 76:67-73. 2001b>Silver staining of nucleolar organizer regions (NORs) and their subsequent quantification by image analysis are used increasingly in human pathological specimens and experimental models...
- Bone hemangioendothelioma: an immunohistochemical study related to histological malignancy and proliferative activity (NORs)M S Benassi
Laboratory of Oncologic Research, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Bologna, Italy
Tumori 81:179-84. 1995..CONCLUSIONS: The mean nucleolar organizer region (NOR) area, as a measure of cell proliferation, was significantly higher in grade 4 malignancies than in lower grades, revealing novel prognostic parameters...
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor selectively regulates dendritogenesis of parvalbumin-containing interneurons in the main olfactory bulb through the PLCgamma pathwayPaul Berghuis
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
J Neurobiol 66:1437-51. 2006..Collectively, our results provide genetic evidence that BDNF and TrkB signaling selectively regulate PV expression and dendrite growth in a subset of neurochemically-defined GABAergic interneurons via activation of the PLCgamma pathway...
- A regulatory role for actin in dendritic spine proliferationOrenda L Johnson
Program in Neuroscience and Department of Psychology, College of Medicine, 1115 W Call Street, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306 4340, USA
Brain Res 1113:1-9. 2006..These data demonstrate that neurons undertaking spinogenesis upregulate actin expression, that actin overexpression per se increases spine density, and that both new and established spines incorporate exogenous actin...
- Short-term exposure to an enriched environment enhances dendritic branching but not brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression in the hippocampus of rats with ventral subicular lesionsB Bindu
Department of Neurophysiology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, Hosur Road, Bangalore, India
Neuroscience 144:412-23. 2007..We suggest the participation of other neurotrophic factors in mediating the synaptic plasticity events following exposure to environmental enrichment in ventral subicular-lesioned rats...
- Exploring the hidden human urinary proteome via ligand library beadsAnnalisa Castagna
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Unit of Internal Medicine, University of Verona, Italy
J Proteome Res 4:1917-30. 2005..By comparing our data with those reported to the present, an additional 251 proteins could be added to the list, thus bringing the total unique gene products so far identified in human urines to ca. 800 species...
- Immobilization induces alterations in the outer membrane protein pattern of Yersinia ruckeriLaurent Coquet
IBBR Group, Laboratory Polymères, Biopolymères, Membranes, UMR 6522 CNRS, University of Rouen, France
J Proteome Res 4:1988-98. 2005..Some OMPs involved in bacterial adaptation were accumulated by both FC48 and IC but the expression of other proteins was controlled by the sessile mode of growth...
- New functions of the thylakoid membrane proteome of Arabidopsis thaliana revealed by a simple, fast, and versatile fractionation strategyJean Benoit Peltier
Department of Plant Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Biol Chem 279:49367-83. 2004..Mass spectrometry search results, ambiguities, and functional classifications can be searched via the Plastid Proteome Database...
- Heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein A2/B1 identified as an autoantigen in autoimmune hepatitis by proteome analysisStéphanie Huguet
Service d Immunologie et Hématologie Biologiques, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Proteomics 4:1341-5. 2004..Its identification corresponded to heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein A2/B1. This paper presents the first description of this protein as an antigen in AIH1...
- Pharmacologic suppression of neuronal oxidative damage and dendritic degeneration following direct activation of glial innate immunity in mouse cerebrumDejan Milatovic
Department of Pathology, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Neurochem 87:1518-26. 2003....
- Truncation by Glu180 nonsense mutation results in complete loss of slow skeletal muscle troponin T in a lethal nemaline myopathyJian Ping Jin
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 278:26159-65. 2003..These results lay the foundation for understanding the molecular pathophysiology and the potential targeted therapy of ANM...
- Proteomic characterization of herbicide safener-induced proteins in the coleoptile of Triticum tauschii seedlingsQin Zhang
Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois, 1102 S Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Proteomics 4:2058-71. 2004..Results from immunoblotting, combined with mass spectral analysis, showed that post-translational modification of GST proteins in control and safener-treated coleoptiles may occur...
- Characterization of proteinuria and tubular protein uptake in a new model of oral L-lysine administration in ratsK Thelle
Department of Cell Biology, Institute of Anatomy, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
Kidney Int 69:1333-40. 2006..In vitro experiments supported the in vivo observations. The findings suggest that L-lysine may affect receptor trafficking in addition to possible effects on the direct binding of ligands to the receptors...
- Staining efficiency of specific proteins depends on the staining method: wheat gluten proteinsHetty C Van Den Broeck
Plant Research International, Wageningen UR, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Proteomics 8:1880-4. 2008..Care should be taken in the selection of staining method especially if one wants to relate the results to data obtained by immunoblotting...
- Uncovering the unfoldome: enriching cell extracts for unstructured proteins by acid treatmentMarc S Cortese
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Proteome Res 4:1610-8. 2005..In this way, large numbers of totally unstructured proteins could be identified with minimal effort...
- c-Myc-induced extrachromosomal elements carry active chromatinGreg Smith
Manitoba Institute of Cell Biology, CancerCare Manitoba, the Genomic Center for Cancer Research and Diagnosis, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Neoplasia 5:110-20. 2003..In contrast, EEs isolated from non-Myc-activated cells neither carry the DHFR gene nor incorporate BrdU, suggesting that c-Myc deregulation generates a new class of EEs...
- Development of a repetitive concussion traumatic brain injury modelMichael J Whalen; Fiscal Year: 2013..37 J) assessed in Aim 1: Acute cellular injury and death (Fluoro Jade B, TUNEL, in vivo propidium iodide, and silver staining), axonal injury (APP histochemistry, electron microscopy, and silver staining), and neuroinflammation (GFAP ..
- Role of Neuroinflammation in Behavioral Deficits Resulting from Chronic AlcoholClare J Wilhelm; Fiscal Year: 2013..cells, gene expression profiling to determine changes in neuronal integrity, and hematoxylin and eosin and silver staining to examine neurotoxicity...
- Low cost custom synthesis microarrayErdogan Gulari; Fiscal Year: 2011..We also showed that using silver staining amplification it was possible to make microarrays which could be read by the eye and provide simple "yes" or "..
- GUSTATORY CHEMOSENSITIVITY OF THE ORAL PALATEINGLIS MILLER; Fiscal Year: 1980..The regional distribution of nerve fibers to the palate is reconstructed using silver staining techniques...
- ANATOMY OF IDENTIFIED CELL POPULATIONS IN VISUAL CORTEXBARBARA MC GUIRE; Fiscal Year: 1991..populations will be quantitatively analyzed from material in which cells are labeled by retrograde tracing, silver staining and/or immunoreactivity for neurofilaments, and compared with established features of cortical functional ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL CHANGES IN HEART AND MUSCLE PFK ISOZYMESGeorge Dunaway; Fiscal Year: 1991..present in the native PFK isozyme pools employing SDS-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, immunoblotting or silver staining and quantitative gel scanning...
- CELL-CELL COMMUNICATION IN CORTICAL BONE REPAIRFrederic Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 1991..transmission electron microscopy; scanning electron microscopy; and immunocytochemistry using immunogold silver staining for the identification of intermediate filaments...
- RAPID DETECTION OF CELLULAR PROTEIN DIFFERENCESJonathan Minden; Fiscal Year: 1999..This technique is called Difference Gel Electrophoresis (DIGE). Currently, DIGE is more sensitive than silver staining and can detect difference proteins down to 0.01% of total protein in a whole cell extract...
- INJECTABLE CALCIUM SULFATE MICROSPHERES FOR PROTEINSLarry Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2000..and the program includes a study of protein distribution inside microspheres based on two techniques: silver staining combined with Energy Dispersive X- Ray Spectroscopy and controlled surface abrasion combined with protein ..
- Analysis to enhance sensitivity for membrane proteinsSamir Hanash; Fiscal Year: 2002..of protein expression in tissues an cell populations has been two-dimensional (2-D) gel electrophoresis and silver staining, coupled more recently with mass spectrometry for protein identification...
- AUTOMATION OF QUANTITATIVE 2D GEL STAININGNorman Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2000..b>Silver staining is still under development and little data on quantitation is available...
- NEW APPROACHES TO ANALYSIS OF BIOPOLYMERSAlexander Varshavsky; Fiscal Year: 1990..The sensitivity of the current, initial version of the neutron method is comparable to that of silver staining techniques for proteins, and is thus at least six orders of magnitude below the theoretical sensitivity of ..
- Dichromatic fluorescence proteomics for cancer tissueWayne Patton; Fiscal Year: 2003..Current 2-D protein visualization technology (e.g., silver staining and other colorimetric methods) are extremely limited in dynamic range (~lOX), linearity, and are ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF CHRONIC OPEN-ANGLE GLAUCOMAMansoor Sarfarazi; Fiscal Year: 2004..PRC, gel electrophoresis and silver staining will be used to genotype the DNA markers; LOD scores, sib- pairs, APM and haplotype linkage transmission to ..
- AUTOMATIC SYSTEM FOR STAINING 2-D ELECTROPHORESIS GELSNorman Anderson; Fiscal Year: 1992..b>Silver staining does not at present provide the precise reproducible quantitation required...
- EARLY DIAGNOSIS OF PANCREATIC CANCERMICHAEL GEOKAS; Fiscal Year: 1980..in serum or plasma are currently being evaluated, including selective removal of albumin, a sensitive silver staining procedure, and detection of proteins by autoradiography after labeling by reductive methylation of lysine ..
- NEURONAL DEGENERATION PRODUCED BY SLEEP DEPRIVATIONJerome Siegel; Fiscal Year: 2000..They will do these stains in conjunction with amino-cupric silver staining. They will attempt to reduce sleep deprivation induced damage by administration of the antioxidant PBN...
- IMMUNOGOLD DETECTION SYSTEM FOR TUMOR MARKERSARIE BARTAL; Fiscal Year: 1993..Most of these problems can be alleviated by the employment of a new immuno- gold-silver staining method which utilizes Inm gold particles and novel silver enhancement techniques (CGSS)...
- SCATTER FACTOR REGULATES ENDOTHELIAL/EPITHELIAL MOBILITYEliot Rosen; Fiscal Year: 1991..These studies will contribute to basic knowledge of cell movement and of blood vessel biology. They may also yield insights which will ultimately be useful in diagnosis and treatment of vascular disorders...
- Novel Neuroprotectants for TBIEdward Hall; Fiscal Year: 2008..Thousands experience long lasting brain injury that interferes with their ability to lead productive and full lives. We plan to test a promising new class of therapeutics for traumatic brain injury. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 26th National Neurotrauma Symposium, 2008Edward Hall; Fiscal Year: 2008..Particular efforts are made to actively engage students to participate and interact with leading basic and clinical scientists. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Peroxynitrite-Induced Oxidative Damage in TBIEdward Hall; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Conf Proposal:Gordon Research Conf on Neuroethology 2005NICHOLAS STRAUSFELD; Fiscal Year: 2005..The conference is intended for the broad neuroethological community at all professional levels including advanced graduate and postdoctoral trainees. ..
- Neurobiology of a Simple Oculomotor System: CircuitryNICHOLAS STRAUSFELD; Fiscal Year: 2008..It will also lead to the implementation of silicon-based circuits that enable motion detection and shape discrimination and potentially provide the basis for a visual prosthetic device. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ULTRASTRUCTURE OF MESOLIMBIC TRANSMITTER INTERACTIONSVIRGINIA PICKEL; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] Together, the results will contribute to our understanding of the[unreadable] pathophysiology and treatment of hyperkinetic movement disorders and[unreadable] schizophrenia. ..
- Epigenetic control of apoptotic susceptibilityAlexei Kondratyev; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neonatal Seizure Therapy and Susceptibility to SchizophreniaAlexei Kondratyev; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study also aims at identifying AEDs that will not predispose the neonates and pregnant women afflicted with seizures to schizophrenia- like disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Reinnervation of Paralyzed Muscle by Nerve-Muscle-Endplate Band GraftingLiancai Mu; Fiscal Year: 2011..Our preliminary work showed that this technique results in better outcomes than currently used methods. The data obtained from this research is useful for future clinical application to treat muscle paralysis. ..
- MECHANISMS OF NEUROPROTECTION IN LIMBIC SYSTEMAlexei Kondratyev; Fiscal Year: 2005..Structured mentored activities and short courses will guide the development of expertise in these areas necessary for the proposed studies and for the long-term career advancement of the applicant as a versatile neuroscientist. ..
- IMAGING TRANSMISSION ELECTRON MICROSCOPEVIRGINIA PICKEL; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Steroid influences on brain maturationJULIA ZEHR; Fiscal Year: 2006..A basic understanding of the processes controlling pubertal brain development provides a timely foundation for future studies of self-administered steroids, disease states, or environmental endocrine disrupters. ..
- 2004 Molecular & Cellular Neurobiology Gordon ConferenceLiqun Luo; Fiscal Year: 2004..Majority of which be used to support conference fees and/or travel of students and postdocs from US, especially minority and women participants to increase their number. ..
- Effects of M-amphetamine on Neural Circuit DevelopmentDOUGLAS FROST; Fiscal Year: 2003..Our experiments will also advance knowledge of 1) how aminergic axons normally modulate the development of neural circuitry and 2) the cellular mechanisms of METH neurotoxicity and of the actions of METH on developing neural circuitry. ..
- Retinal Degeneration ConferenceRobert Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2008..In this proposal, we request funds to provide: 1) full travel awards to 20 young investigators and 3 keynote speakers and 2) some administrative expenses. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ANALYSIS OF PAIR OF RULE GENES IN SEQUENTIAL SEGMENTATIODAVID WEISBLAT; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Role of the a4b2 Nicotine Receptor in NeuropathologyJANICE CARLSON; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is my hope that these experiments will shed light on how nicotine is both neurotoxic and neuroprotective, and how the alpha4beta2 receptor may be involved in these seemingly opposite effects. ..
- CELL BIOLOGY OF THE RETINAElio Raviola; Fiscal Year: 2009..iv) We will identify by electron microscopy the neurons that control the activity of DA cells in light and darkness. These studies are crucial to the understanding of the mechanism of vision in the retina. ..
- A Mature Brain Architecture Knowledge Management SystemLARRY SWANSON; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF HEXACARBON-INDUCED AXON ATROPHYRICHARD LOPACHIN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the role and mechanism of axon atrophy in solvent neurotoxicity has broad-based implications for human occupational health and risk assessment. ..
- RESIN-BASED REMINERALIZING CEMENTS AND COMPOSITESSABINE DICKENS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Completion of this research will lead to Ca- PO4 cements and composites with improved adhesion to dentin and improved strength for ART and the treatment of root caries. ..
- Titin Splicing Mechanisms and Physical ImplicationsMarion L Greaser; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition the rat mutation model we have developed should help to understand mechanisms of cardiac arrhythmia and sudden death. ..
- Sphingolipids in Ethanol-Induced Neuronal ApoptosisMariko Saito; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will reveal the functions of sphingolipids in ethanol-induced apoptosis in the developing brain, and will offer bases for future therapeutic strategies for FASD. ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF THE CORTICOTHALAMIC SYSTEMEdward Jones; Fiscal Year: 2003..Defective maturation may be a concomitant of or a basis for certain forms of seizures in young individuals. ..
- REAL-TIME SINGLE-MOLECULE CHEMICAL MICROSCOPYXiaohong Xu; Fiscal Year: 2001..The associated cellular signaling pathways (e.g., hydrolysis of inositol phospholipids in the plasma membrane, increase in intracellular second messenger levels) will be monitored in real-time using SM chemical microscopy. ..
- Senselab: Integration of Multidisciplinary Sensory DataGordon Shepherd; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Polymeric Enzyme-Gold Probes for Ultrasensitive Protein BlottingRichard Powell; Fiscal Year: 2008..This will enable faster, more accurate diagnosis of cancer, infectious diseases and prion diseases, improve therapy selection, and provide new tools for the study of cancer at the molecular level. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TRANSYNAPTIC CORTICAL APOPTOSIS--MECHANISMS & THERAPIESVassilis Koliatsos; Fiscal Year: 2004..We expect that these carefully controlled investigations will shed light on critical intermediate mechanisms of cortical degenerations and will suggest clinically advantageous methods to treat these disorders. ..
- Correlative Chromogenic Gene and Protein assessmentRichard Powell; Fiscal Year: 2004..HER2 will be a model for the development of a general method applicable to many cancers and to the future development of other multi-analyte assays and staining procedures. ..
- MRL Neuroanatomy in Autism: From Infancy to ChildhooodEric Courchesne; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results from the proposed research will provide knowledge of the developmental anatomic phenotype in autism. ..
- Structural/Trophic Hypothesis for Antidepressant ActionsVassilis Koliatsos; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Enzymatic Metallography for Ultrasensitive BiodetectionRichard Powell; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Neurorestorative Therapy of Stroke with StatinsJieli Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study provides a new and highly effective way to treat stroke and may permit translation our finding of restorative therapeutic benefit of statin in experimental stroke to the patient. ..
- ACTIVITY-DEPENDENT PLASTICITY IN SENSORY CORTEXEdward Jones; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Models of Motor Neuron Disease: Stem Cell TherapiesVassilis Koliatsos; Fiscal Year: 2007..In concert, we propose to examine the essential preclinical parameters for the consideration of NSCs as therapeutic tools for motor neuron disease. ..
- Development of a Diagnostic Test for Alzheimer's DiseaseMark Lovell; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ADENOSINE AND TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURYPatrick Kochanek; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies explore the most promising adenosine-based therapy for TBI-A2a receptor antagonists. Our bench to bedside track record ensures translation to the clinic. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Nuf2 in Kinetochore FunctionJennifer DeLuca; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISMS OF NEURONAL REORGANIZATIONLiqun Luo; Fiscal Year: 2004..These mechanisms may also be used for experience-dependent reshaping of neuronal connections, and may be misregulated during aging and neurodegenerative diseases to cause degeneration of neuronal processes. ..
- Molecular & Behavioral Effects of Low Level Mn ExposureTOMAS GUILARTE; Fiscal Year: 2008..The knowledge gained will help set future public health policies and guidelines to limit Mn exposures in occupational settings and to the general population. ..
- Correlative Enzymatic and Gold ProbesRichard Powell; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Estradiol and Glutamate in the Developing HypothalamusJACLYN SCHWARZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding how sex effects normal brain development is necessary to understand how it may develop abnormally in psychiatric disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CHROMOGENIC HER-2/NEU GENE AMPLIFICATION ASSAYRichard Powell; Fiscal Year: 2003..After design optimization, it will be ported to an automated slide staining instrument. Once performance is optimized, multi-center clinical trials will be conducted to support application for pre-market approval. ..