Genomes and Genes
tissue culture techniques
Summary: A technique for maintaining or growing TISSUE in vitro, usually by DIFFUSION, perifusion, or PERFUSION. The tissue is cultured directly after removal from the host without being dispersed for cell culture.
Publications280 found, 100 shown here
- Morphological and ultrastructural evaluation of cultured frozen-thawed human fetal ovarian tissueJean Clair Sadeu
Follicle Biology Laboratory, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Fertil Steril 85:1130-41. 2006..To investigate a defined culture condition for the culture of frozen-thawed human ovarian tissue...
- Recent progress in the understanding of tissue culture-induced genome level changes in plants and potential applicationsAnjanasree K Neelakandan
Department of Agronomy, Iowa State University, G405 Agronomy Hall, Ames, IA 50011 1010, USA
Plant Cell Rep 31:597-620. 2012..Since the invention of plant cell and tissue culture techniques more than half a century ago, scientists have been trying to understand the morphological, physiological,..
- Use of human tissue explants to study human infectious agentsJean Charles Grivel
Section of Intercellular Interactions, Program on Physical Biology, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, 10 Centre Drive, Room 9D58, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Protoc 4:256-69. 2009..Using this protocol, culture and infections can be set up in 3-6 h and be maintained for 2-3 weeks, depending on the tissue used...
- Engineered early embryonic cardiac tissue retains proliferative and contractile properties of developing embryonic myocardiumKimimasa Tobita
Rangos Research Center, Rm 3320E, 3460 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H1829-37. 2006..Results indicate that EEECT retains the proliferative and contractile properties of developing embryonic myocardium and shows potential as a robust in vitro model of developing embryonic myocardium...
- In vitro evaluation of potential hepatotoxicity induced by drugsM J Gomez-Lechon
Unidad de Hepatología Experimental Centro de Investigación, Hospital La Fe, Avda Campanar 21, 46009 Valencia, Spain
Curr Pharm Des 16:1963-77. 2010..The development of robust in vitro-based multiparametric screening assays covering a wider spectrum of key effects will heighten the predictive capacity for human hepatotoxicity, and accelerate the drug development process...
- Reactivity of equine airways--a study on precision-cut lung slicesJ Vietmeier
Institute of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmacy, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Vet Res Commun 31:611-9. 2007..In conclusion, the PCLS technique is promising for studies on small airways in the equine lung. In the present study the basic principles of in vitro (ex vivo) examinations with equine PCLS on airway reactivity were developed...
- Fingolimod (FTY720) enhances remyelination following demyelination of organotypic cerebellar slicesVeronique E Miron
Neuroimmunology Unit, McGill University, Montreal Neurological Institute, 3801 University St, Montreal, QC, Canada, H3A 2B4
Am J Pathol 176:2682-94. 2010....
- CD151 regulates tumorigenesis by modulating the communication between tumor cells and endotheliumRafal Sadej
Cancer Research UK Institute for Cancer Studies, The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, United Kingdom
Mol Cancer Res 7:787-98. 2009..These results also identify CD151 as a potentially novel prognostic marker and target for therapy in breast cancer...
- In vitro skin irritation: facts and future. State of the art review of mechanisms and modelsThomas Welss
VTB Skin Biochemistry, Henkel KGaA, Building Z33, Henkelstrasse 67, D 40191, Duesseldorf, Germany
Toxicol In Vitro 18:231-43. 2004....
- Rod and cone photoreceptor cells produce ROS in response to stress in a live retinal explant systemLavinia Bhatt
Cell Development and Disease Laboratory, Biochemistry Department, Biosciences Institute, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Mol Vis 16:283-93. 2010....
- Tissue culture-induced transpositional activity of mPing is correlated with cytosine methylation in riceFrédéric Ngezahayo
Key Laboratory of Molecular Epigenetics of MOE and Institute of Genetics and Cytology, Northeast Normal University, Changchun 130024, PR China
BMC Plant Biol 9:91. 2009..Given that tissue-culture is capable of inducing both methylation alteration and mPing transposition in certain rice genotypes, it provides a tractable system to investigate the possible relationship between the two phenomena...
- Tissue culture-induced novel epialleles of a Myb transcription factor encoded by pericarp color1 in maizeYong Rhee
Department of Agronomy, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Genetics 186:843-55. 2010..While the low-copy regions of the genome generally undergo hypomethylation during tissue culture, our study shows that the tandemly repeated genes are also prone to hypermethylation and epigenetic silencing...
- The spatial distribution of glutamatergic inputs to dendrites of retinal ganglion cellsTatjana C Jakobs
Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Comp Neurol 510:221-36. 2008..To achieve sensitivity comparable to that of large cells, those that report upon a small region of visual space may need to receive a denser synaptic input from within that space...
- Increased phagocyte-like NADPH oxidase and ROS generation in type 2 diabetic ZDF rat and human islets: role of Rac1-JNK1/2 signaling pathway in mitochondrial dysregulation in the diabetic isletIsmail Syed
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Diabetes 60:2843-52. 2011..To determine the subunit expression and functional activation of phagocyte-like NADPH oxidase (Nox), reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation and caspase-3 activation in the Zucker diabetic fatty (ZDF) rat and diabetic human islets...
- Low cytotoxicity of solid lipid nanoparticles in in vitro and ex vivo lung modelsMatthias Nassimi
Fraunhofer Institut für Toxikologie und Experimentelle Medizin ITEM, Hannover, Germany
Inhal Toxicol 21:104-9. 2009..The lung slices seem to be a more sensitive test system. SLN20 showed lower toxic values in all test systems. Therefore we conclude that SLN20 could be used as a suitable DDS for the lung, from a toxicological point of view...
- Perfusion culture improves the maintenance of cultured liver tissue slicesKarl Schumacher
Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, A STAR, Singapore
Tissue Eng 13:197-205. 2007..Our results also show that culture techniques that enable a continuous exchange of the culture medium seem to be superior to static or dynamic cultures in terms of maintaining the protein expression and the histo-architecture...
- Ovarian follicle culture: advances and challenges for human and nonhuman primatesEvelyn E Telfer
Institute of Cell Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Fertil Steril 99:1523-33. 2013....
- In vitro secretion profile of pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-1β, TNF-α, IL-6, and of human beta-defensins (HBD)-1, HBD-2, and HBD-3 from human chorioamniotic membranes after selective stimulation with Gardnerella vaginalisVeronica Zaga-Clavellina
Cell Biology Department, Instituto Nacional de Perinatologia Isidro Espinosa de los Reyes, Mexico City, Mexico
Am J Reprod Immunol 67:34-43. 2012..Preterm labor associated with infection is a major clinical condition; in this work, we analyze the response of human chorioamniotic membranes stimulated with Gardnerella vaginalis...
- The role of activated charcoal in plant tissue cultureT Dennis Thomas
Research Department of Botany, St Thomas College, Pala, Arunapuram P O, PIN 686574, Kottayam Dt, Kerala, India
Biotechnol Adv 26:618-31. 2008..This review focuses on the various roles of activated charcoal in plant tissue culture and the recent developments in this area...
- Fibrogenic cell phenotype modifications during remodelling of normal and pathological human liver in cultured slicesChristelle Guyot
INSERM U889 and Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
Liver Int 30:1529-40. 2010..The debate concerning the potential remodelling and/or reversibility of cirrhotic lesions and biliary fibrosis is still open...
- Morphological differentiation of tau-green fluorescent protein embryonic stem cells into neurons after co-culture with auditory brain stem slicesA Glavaski-Joksimovic
Center for Hearing and Communication Research, Karolinska University Hospital, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Neuroscience 162:472-81. 2009..The findings illustrate the significance of SC and auditory BS co-cultures regarding survival, migration, neuronal differentiation and connections...
- Preclinical model of organotypic culture for pharmacodynamic profiling of human tumorsValentina Vaira
Department of Medicine, Surgery and Dentistry, Division of Pathology, University of Milan, AO San Paolo and Fondazione IRCCS Cà Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan 20142, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:8352-6. 2010..This technology may have a significant impact on patient selection for clinical trials and in predicting response to small-molecule inhibitor therapy...
- Activity dependence of cortical axon branch formation: a morphological and electrophysiological study using organotypic slice culturesNaofumi Uesaka
Neuroscience Laboratories, Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Osaka University, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Neurosci 25:1-9. 2005..We conclude that cortical axon branching is highly dynamic and that neural activity regulates the early developmental branching of upper layer cortical neurons through the activation of AMPA-type glutamate receptors...
- A double-inactivated whole virus candidate SARS coronavirus vaccine stimulates neutralising and protective antibody responsesMartin Spruth
Baxter Vaccines, Biomedical Research Centre, Uferstr 15, 2304 Orth Donau, Austria
Vaccine 24:652-61. 2006..Protection of mice was correlated to antibody titre against the SARS-CoV S protein and neutralising antibody titre...
- Generating human intestinal tissue from pluripotent stem cells in vitroKyle W McCracken
Division of Developmental Biology, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Nat Protoc 6:1920-8. 2011..To date, this is the only method for efficiently directing the differentiation of hPSCs into 3D human intestinal tissue in vitro...
- Novel selective MMP-13 inhibitors reduce collagen degradation in bovine articular and human osteoarthritis cartilage explantsDorothea Piecha
Alantos Pharmaceuticals AG, Heidelberg, Germany
Inflamm Res 59:379-89. 2010..Selective inhibition of MMP-13 may provide the desired cartilage degradation protection, while overcoming the musculoskeletal toxicity seen with nonselective inhibition of MMPs...
- Dramatic genotypic difference in, and effect of genetic crossing on, tissue culture-induced mobility of retrotransposon Tos17 in riceChunjing Lin
Key Laboratory of Molecular Epigenetics of MOE, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, 130024, China
Plant Cell Rep 31:2057-63. 2012..We conclude that the tissue culture-induced mobility of Tos17 in rice is under complex genetic and epigenetic control, which can be either enhanced or repressed by intraspecific genetic crossing...
- The role of body-on-a-chip devices in drug and toxicity studiesM B Esch
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 13:55-72. 2011..In addition to their use in drug development, the devices also can be used to estimate the toxicity of chemicals as occupational hazards and environmental contaminants...
- The identification of QTLs associated with the in vitro response of rye (Secale cereale L.)Hanna Bolibok
Department of Plant Genetics, Breeding and Biotechnology, Warsaw Agricultural University, Nowoursynowska 159, 02 776, Warszawa, Poland
Cell Mol Biol Lett 12:523-35. 2007..6% of the total phenotypic variation: two QTLs for ECI - eci-1, eci-2; 4 for ESE - ece-1, ese-2, ese-3, ese-4; 2 for ICI - ici-1, ici2; and 1 for ISE - ise-1. They were detected on chromosomes 1R, 4R, 5R, 6R and 7R...
- Biofilm formation enhances the oxygen tolerance and invasiveness of Fusobacterium nucleatum in an oral mucosa culture modelUlvi Kahraman Gursoy
Institute of Dentistry and Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Helsinki, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
J Periodontol 81:1084-91. 2010..nucleatum in biofilm and planktonic forms in an organotypic cell culture (OCC) model...
- Variation in DNA methylation patterns of grapevine somaclones (Vitis vinifera L.)Paul Schellenbaum
Universite de Haute Alsace, Laboratoire Vigne Biotechnologies and Environnement, 33 Rue de Herrlisheim, BP 50568, F 68008 Colmar, France
BMC Plant Biol 8:78. 2008..In vitro somatic embryogenesis and organogenesis can lead to genotypic and phenotypic variations, described as somaclonal variation, that could be useful for the selection of improved grapevine genotypes...
- Analysis of cell viability in intervertebral disc: Effect of endplate permeability on cell populationA Shirazi-Adl
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique, P O Box 6079, Station Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3A7
J Biomech 43:1330-6. 2010....
- Chronic activation of the prostaglandin receptor EP4 promotes hyaluronan-mediated neointimal formation in the ductus arteriosusUtako Yokoyama
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Yokohama City University, Yokohama, Japan
J Clin Invest 116:3026-34. 2006..e., inhibition of PGE signaling by cyclooxygenase inhibitors, which might delay PGE-mediated ICF in immature infants...
- Ex vivo testing of immune responses in precision-cut lung slicesM Henjakovic
Fraunhofer Institute of Toxicology and Experimental Medicine, Department of Immunology, Allergology and Immunotoxicology, Nikolai Fuchs Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 231:68-76. 2008..PCLS showed characteristic responses to typical pro-inflammatory stimuli and may thus provide a suitable ex vivo technique to predict the immunomodulatory potency of inhaled substances...
- The in vitro growth and maturation of folliclesH M Picton
Reproduction and Early Development Research Group, The LIGHT Laboratories, Leeds Institute of Genetics, Health and Therapeutics, University of Leeds, Clarendon Way, Leeds, UK
Reproduction 136:703-15. 2008..Finally, cytoplasmic and nuclear maturation will be induced in the in vitro derived oocytes with the production of fertile metaphase II gametes...
- Retinoid signaling determines germ cell fate in miceJosephine Bowles
Division of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Institute for Molecular Bioscience, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Science 312:596-600. 2006..Thus, precise regulation of retinoid levels during fetal gonad development provides the molecular control mechanism that specifies germ cell fate...
- Self-organization of engineered epithelial tubules by differential cellular motilityHidetoshi Mori
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:14890-5. 2009..These results indicate that differential directional persistence can give rise to patterns within model developing tissues...
- How to reduce false positive results when undertaking in vitro genotoxicity testing and thus avoid unnecessary follow-up animal tests: Report of an ECVAM WorkshopDavid Kirkland
Covance Laboratories Ltd, Otley Road, Harrogate HG3 1PY, UK
Mutat Res 628:31-55. 2007....
- Current achievements and future research directions in ovarian tissue culture, in vitro follicle development and transplantation: implications for fertility preservationJ Smitz
Follicle Biology Laboratory, Center for Reproductive Medicine, UZ Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 101, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Hum Reprod Update 16:395-414. 2010..The new discipline of oncofertility requires professionalization, multidisciplinarity and mobilization of funding for basic and translational research...
- Encapsulated three-dimensional culture supports development of nonhuman primate secondary folliclesMin Xu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, and The Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Biol Reprod 81:587-94. 2009..This study documents the first use of the alginate system to maintain primate tissue architecture, and findings suggest that encapsulated 3-D culture will be successful in supporting the in vitro development of human follicles...
- Tumor necrosis factor receptor-1 is essential for LPS-induced sensitization and tolerance to oxygen-glucose deprivation in murine neonatal organotypic hippocampal slicesTina Markus
Department of Pediatrics, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 29:73-86. 2009..We conclude that LPS induces sensitization or tolerance to OGD depending on the time interval between exposure to LPS and OGD in murine hippocampal slice cultures. Both paradigms are dependent on signaling through TNFR1...
- The activin-follistatin system and in vitro early follicle development in goatsJ R V Silva
Department of Farm Animal Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, PO Box 80151, NL 3584 TD, Yalelaan 7, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Endocrinol 189:113-25. 2006..The in vitro growth and survival of activated follicles enclosed in cortical tissue and the in vitro growth of isolated primary follicles are stimulated by activin-A...
- Mapping QTLs that control the performance of rice tissue culture and evaluation of derived near-isogenic linesF Taguchi-Shiobara
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, 2 1 2 Kannondai, 305 8602 Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Theor Appl Genet 112:968-76. 2006..In qSc1-2, the Kasalath allele improved callus color through induction and subculture. These results verified the presence of QTLs for the volume and color of subcultured callus on chromosome 1, qSv1, qSc1-1, and qSc1-2...
- Comparison of three in vitro culture systems for maturation of early preantral mouse ovarian folliclesNathalie Mousset-Simeon
Cochin Hospital, University of Paris V, France
Zygote 13:167-75. 2005..Fertilization ability of these oocytes and the capacity to obtain healthy mice in a reproducible manner warrants further investigation...
- Calcium alginate microencapsulation of ovarian follicles impacts FSH delivery and follicle morphologyMatthew Heise
McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 3:47. 2005..Therefore, the objective of this study is to support three-dimensional follicle architecture during in vitro growth of ovarian follicles through encapsulation in calcium alginate, while maintaining responsiveness to FSH stimulation...
- Reverse transcriptase inhibitors as potential colorectal microbicidesCarolina Herrera
Division of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, St George s University of London, Cranmer Terrace, London SW17 0RE, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:1797-807. 2009..These findings may have important implications for the rational design of effective rectal microbicides...
- The role of arabinogalactan proteins binding to Yariv reagents in the initiation, cell developmental fate, and maintenance of microspore embryogenesis in Brassica napus L. cv. TopasXing Chun Tang
Key Laboratory of the MOE for the Development Biology, College of Life Science, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072 China
J Exp Bot 57:2639-50. 2006..In addition, these proteins may also be involved in the regulation of root generation...
- Three-dimensional slice cultures from murine fetal gut for investigations of the enteric nervous systemMarco Metzger
Institute of Anatomy, Centre for Regenerative Medicine, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Dev Dyn 236:128-33. 2007..This slice culture model of enteric nervous system proved to be useful for studying cell-cell interactions, cellular signaling, and cell differentiation processes in a three-dimensional cell arrangement...
- Effective method for in-vitro culture of cryopreserved human ovarian tissueVladimir Isachenko
Department of Gynecological Endocrinology and Reproductive Medicine, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
Reprod Biomed Online 13:228-34. 2006..05). Agitation during culture of ovarian tissue is beneficial, and can be used as a prognostic tool for future warming and autotransplantation of ovarian tissue...
- Meiotic and developmental competence in mice are compromised following follicle development in vitro using an alginate-based culture systemMonica A Mainigi
Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6018, USA
Biol Reprod 85:269-76. 2011..This situation contrasts with a high incidence of pronuclear formation following development using an existing in vitro culture system that does not preserve follicle integrity...
- Light-enhanced caffeic acid derivatives biosynthesis in hairy root cultures of Echinacea purpureaBilal H Abbasi
National Key Laboratory of Biochemical Engineering, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, People s Republic of China
Plant Cell Rep 26:1367-72. 2007..The enhanced accumulation of CADs and anthocyanins in E. purpurea hairy root cultures was correlated to an observed light-stimulated activity of phenylalanine ammonium lyase (PAL)...
- In vitro propagation of an endangered medicinal plant Saussurea involucrata Kar. et KirBin Guo
Phytochemical Engineering Group, National Key Laboratory of Biochemical Engineering, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, P R China
Plant Cell Rep 26:261-5. 2007..The regeneration protocol developed in this study provides a basis for germplasm conservation and for further investigation of medicinally active constituents of the elite medicinal plant...
- Tissue-specific human beta-defensins (HBD)1, HBD2, and HBD3 secretion from human extra-placental membranes stimulated with Escherichia coliGuadalupe Garcia-Lopez
Cell Biology Department, Instituto Nacional de Perinatologia Isidro Espinosa de los Reyes, Mexico City, Mexico
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 8:146. 2010..Human beta defensins (HBD)1, HBD2, and HBD3 are key elements of innate immunity that are secreted to neutralize/control the progression of infection...
- New multi-cue bioreactor for tissue engineering of tubular cardiovascular samples under physiological conditionsAndrew D McCulloch
Centre for Tissue Engineering Research, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Westminster, London, United Kingdom
Tissue Eng 10:565-73. 2004..The MCB represents a versatile model that will enable the development of tissue engineering not only for cardiovascular tissue, but for all tubular tissues such as esophageal, tracheal, and bronchial systems...
- The practicalities of using tissue slices as preclinical organotypic breast cancer modelsDeborah L Holliday
Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
J Clin Pathol 66:253-5. 2013..In summary, breast cancer tissue slices can be cultured in vitro as organotypic models. Nevertheless, although simple in concept, the delicacy of the model with regard to handling makes subsequent analytical processes challenging...
- Tissue protection and endothelial cell signaling by 20-HETE analogs in intact ex vivo lung slicesElizabeth R Jacobs
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, United States
Exp Cell Res 318:2143-52. 2012..These methodologies create exciting possibilities for studying signaling by stable 20-HETE analogs and other factors in pulmonary endothelial and other lung cell types in their native milieu...
- Quantification of the tissue-culture induced variation in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.)Piotr T Bednarek
Plant Breeding and Acclimatization Institute, 05 870 Błonie, Radzikow, Poland
BMC Plant Biol 7:10. 2007..A lack of any phenotypic variation between regenerants does not necessarily imply a concomitant lack of genetic (or epigenetic) change, and it is therefore of interest to assay the outcomes of tissue culture at the genotypic level...
- Efficient in vitro regeneration of fertile plants from corm explants of Hypoxis hemerocallidea landrace Gaza -- the "African Potato"Yves Assoumou Ndong
Laboratoire Androgenèse et Biotechnologie EA3900, Universite de Picardie Jules Verne, 33 rue Saint Leu, 80039 Amiens, France
Plant Cell Rep 25:265-73. 2006..Efficient cloning protocols described here, have the potential not only to substantially reduce the pressure on natural populations but also for wider biotechnological applications of Hypoxis hemerocallidea-an endangered medicinal plant...
- A novel tissue-slice culture model for non-malignant human prostateM Bläuer
Department of Cell Biology, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
Cell Tissue Res 332:489-98. 2008..The present culture system provides a novel in vitro setting in which to study normal human prostate biology and pathobiology and may help to obviate problems related to the use of established cancer cell lines and animal models...
- Serum-free derivation of human embryonic stem cell lines on human placental fibroblast feedersOlga Genbacev
Department of Cell and Tissue Biology, Program in Human Stem Cell Biology, and Developmental and Stem Cell Biology Program, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0512, USA
Fertil Steril 83:1517-29. 2005..Because the embryo develops in close contact with extraembryonic membranes, we hypothesized that placental mesenchyme might replicate the stem cell niche in situ...
- Entorhinal denervation induces homeostatic synaptic scaling of excitatory postsynapses of dentate granule cells in mouse organotypic slice culturesAndreas Vlachos
Institute of Clinical Neuroanatomy, Neuroscience Center, Goethe University Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e32883. 2012..Taken together, our data show that entorhinal denervation results in homeostatic functional changes of excitatory postsynapses of denervated dentate granule cells in vitro...
- Tissue culture-induced locus-specific alteration in DNA methylation and its correlation with genetic variation in Codonopsis lanceolata Benth. et Hook. fW L Guo
Laboratory of Plant Molecular Epigenetics, Institute of Genetics and Cytology, Northeast Normal University, Changchun 130024, China
Plant Cell Rep 26:1297-307. 2007..Thirty-seven typical variant MSAP profiles were isolated and sequenced, of which 5 showed significant homology to known-function genes, 2 to chloroplast sequences, whilst the rest 30 did not find a match in the database...
- Estrogen receptor (ER) expression and function in the pregnant human myometrium: estradiol via ERα activates ERK1/2 signaling in term myometriumToni Welsh
Department of Reproductive Biology, Case Western Reserve University, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Endocrinol 212:227-38. 2012....
- Expression of basic fibroblast growth factor correlates with resistance to paclitaxel in human patient tumorsYuebo Gan
College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University, 500 West 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Pharm Res 23:1324-31. 2006..We investigated the relationship between FGF expression and paclitaxel activity in tumors from bladder, breast, head and neck, ovarian, and prostate cancer patients...
- Airway mechanics and methods used to visualize smooth muscle dynamics in vitroP R Cooper
Department of Medicine and the Airway Biology Initiative, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 22:398-406. 2009..Imaging techniques enable key upstream events involved in airway narrowing, such as ASM cell signalling and structural and mechanical events impinging on ASM, to be investigated...
- Comparison of LPS-stimulated release of cytokines in punch versus transwell tissue culture systems of human gestational membranesMark F Miller
Department of Environmental Health Science, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 8:121. 2010..The current study compares these two systems with respect to release of pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines in response to lipopolysaccharide (LPS), a model stimulant...
- Involvement of HSP10 during the ovarian follicular development of polycystic ovary syndrome: Study in both human ovaries and cultured mouse folliclesLu Fan
Jiangsu Province Key Laboratory of Reproductive Medicine, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029, China
Gynecol Endocrinol 25:392-7. 2009..To study the possible roles of HSP10 in the follicular development...
- MicroRNA misregulation: an overlooked factor generating somaclonal variation?J Rodriguez-Enriquez
Instituto Universitario de Bioorgánica Antonio González, Universidad de La Laguna, 38206 La Laguna, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Trends Plant Sci 16:242-8. 2011..However, the genomic locations of microRNA genes and their unique biogenesis might make them unusually susceptible to aberrant regulation in vitro...
- [Proteomics-based identification of proapoptotic caspase adapter protein as a novel serum marker of non-small cell lung cancer]Heng Zhang
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Zhongguo Fei Ai Za Zhi 15:287-93. 2012..Early diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer contribute to a patient's prolonged survival. Proteomics and tissue culture were used to screen potential serum markers of lung cancer...
- In vitro and in vivo cytokeratin patterns of expression in bioengineered human periodontal mucosaI Garzon
Department of Histology, Tissue Engineering Group, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
J Periodontal Res 44:588-97. 2009..In this study we evaluated a fibrin-agarose human oral mucosa substitute both in vitro and in vivo...
- beta-Carotene accumulation induced by the cauliflower Or gene is not due to an increased capacity of biosynthesisLi Li
USDA ARS, Plant, Soil and Nutrition Laboratory, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Phytochemistry 67:1177-84. 2006..These results suggest that Or-induced beta-carotene accumulation does not result from an increased capacity of carotenoid biosynthesis...
- Novel pulse duplicating bioreactor system for tissue-engineered vascular constructYuji Narita
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Tissue Eng 10:1224-33. 2004..This new bioreactor system is suitable for evaluating a favorable environment for tissue-engineered cardiovascular components...
- Human ovarian tissue preservation: is vitrification acceptable method for assisted reproduction?Evgenia Isachenko
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Cryo Letters 29:301-14. 2008..6 ng/ml for progesterone compared with fresh non-treated control (253 pg/ml and 6 ng/ml, respectively). The results obtained by vitrification of ovarian tissue with this protocol were compatible with those of the fresh ovarian tissue...
- Preparation and incubation of precision-cut liver and intestinal slices for application in drug metabolism and toxicity studiesInge A M de Graaf
Division of Pharmacokinetics, Toxicology and Targeting, Department of Pharmacy, Groningen Research Institute for Pharmacy, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Nat Protoc 5:1540-51. 2010..Intestinal tissue is embedded in cylinders of agarose before slicing. Slices remain viable for 24 h (intestine) and up to 96 h (liver) when incubated in 6- or 12-well plates under 95% O(2)/5% CO(2) atmosphere...
- The phenotype of in vitro reconstituted normal human oral epithelium is essentially determined by culture mediumDaniela Elena Costea
Department of Odontology, Oral Pathology and Forensic Odontology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Bergen, N 5021 Bergen, Norway
J Oral Pathol Med 34:247-52. 2005..To evaluate the role of various culture media and serum supplement on growth of oral cells in monolayer, and on morphogenesis of in vitro reconstituted normal human oral epithelium...
- Xanthan gum: an economical substitute for agar in plant tissue culture mediaR Jain
Department of Botany, University of Delhi, Delhi 7, India
Plant Cell Rep 25:81-4. 2006..Culture media used for eliciting these morphogenic responses were gelled with either 1% xanthan gum or 0.9% agar. Xanthan gum, like agar, supported all these responses...
- An evolutionary view of plant tissue culture: somaclonal variation and selectionQin Mei Wang
Institute of Genetics and Cytology, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, 130024, People s Republic of China
Plant Cell Rep 31:1535-47. 2012..In addition, the SV threshold, space-determined hypothesis and D-bottleneck are proposed to interpret the loss of the regenerability through a long period of plant tissue culture (PTC)...
- Characterization of rat small intestinal and colon precision-cut slices as an in vitro system for drug metabolism and induction studiesEsther G van de Kerkhof
Department of Pharmacokinetics and Drug Delivery, A Deusinglaan 1, 9713 AV Groningen, The Netherlands
Drug Metab Dispos 33:1613-20. 2005..Therefore, it is a promising tool to study intestinal drug metabolism in human intestine in vitro in the future...
- Tissue culture of ornamental pot plant: a critical review on present scenario and future prospectsG R Rout
Plant Biotechnology Division, Regional Plant Resource Centre, Bhubaneswar 751015, India
Biotechnol Adv 24:531-60. 2006..The usefulness of the pot plants in commercial industry as well as propagation techniques, screening for various useful characteristics and selection of somaclonal variation is also discussed...
- Multiparameter assessment of mouse oogenesis during follicular growth in vitroA Pesty
INSERM, UF Biologie de la Reproduction, Paris, France
Mol Hum Reprod 13:3-9. 2007..These data demonstrate that the protocol used generates oocytes with characteristics similar to oocytes allowed to mature fully in vivo and that it could be useful to set up the experimental culture of human ovarian follicles...
- Characterisation and transplantation of enteric nervous system progenitor cellsSarah Almond
Institute of Child Health, Royal Liverpool University Children s Hospital, Alder Hey, Liverpool, UK
Gut 56:489-96. 2007..In this paper, we describe a method suitable for the preparation of both mouse and human postnatal ENS progenitor cells and assess their transplantation potential...
- A reproducible two-step culture system for isolated primary mouse ovarian follicles as single functional unitsSandy Lenie
Follicle Biology Laboratory, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 101, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Biol Reprod 71:1730-8. 2004..Morphological characteristics of cultured follicles were suggestive for combined transforming growth factor beta deficiencies during in vitro culture...
- In vitro grown human ovarian follicles from cancer patients support oocyte growthMin Xu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Hum Reprod 24:2531-40. 2009..However, this method may risk re-introduction of the original cancer to the survivor of the disease. Thus, developing a method for in vitro growth of immature follicles may provide a method for fertility restoration in the future...
- Niflumic acid and MSI-2216 reduce TNF-alpha-induced mucin expression in human airway mucosaHans Peter Hauber
Meakins Christie Laboratories, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:266-71. 2005..Human chloride channel, calcium-activated 1 (hCLCA1) has been shown to induce mucin (MUC) gene expression and mucus production in bronchial epithelial cells. Objective To investigate whether blocking hCLCA1 decreases mucus production...
- Characterization of ANIT-induced toxicity using precision-cut rat and dog liver slices cultured in a dynamic organ roller systemK Amin
SRI International, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Toxicol Pathol 34:776-84. 2006..In summary, additional experimentation using slice culture may further demonstrate its value in screening compounds that cause hepatobiliary toxicity...
- Differential distribution of endoplasmic reticulum controls metabotropic signaling and plasticity at hippocampal synapsesNiklaus Holbro
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Maulbeerstrasse 66, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:15055-60. 2009..In summary, spine microanatomy is a reliable indicator for the presence of specific signaling cascades that govern plasticity on a micrometer scale...
- Organotypic entorhino-hippocampal slice cultures--a tool to study the molecular and cellular regulation of axonal regeneration and collateral sprouting in vitroDomenico Del Turco
Institute of Clinical Neuroanatomy, J W Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Methods Mol Biol 399:55-66. 2007....
- Engineering the follicle microenvironmentErin R West
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, USA
Semin Reprod Med 25:287-99. 2007....
- Phagocyte-like NADPH oxidase generates ROS in INS 832/13 cells and rat islets: role of protein prenylationIsmail Syed
Dept of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State Univ, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 300:R756-62. 2011..Together, our findings suggest a prenylated Ptx-sensitive signaling step couples Rac1 activation in the signaling steps necessary for glucose-mediated generation of ROS in the pancreatic β-cells...
- Donor islet endothelial cells participate in formation of functional vessels within pancreatic islet graftsDaniel Nyqvist
The Rolf Luft Center for Diabetes Research L3, Department of Molecular Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, S 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Diabetes 54:2287-93. 2005..Therefore, preservation of intraislet endothelial cell mass may improve long-term graft function...
- An investigation into the role of prostaglandins in zebrafish oocyte maturation and ovulationA L Lister
Department of Integrative Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ont, Canada
Gen Comp Endocrinol 159:46-57. 2008..Collectively, these experiments indicate that the AA pathway in zebrafish ovaries is involved in the regulation of oocyte maturation and ovulation and a non-selective inhibitor of COX disrupts these processes...
- Recombinant epidermal growth factor maintains follicular ultrastructure and promotes the transition to primary follicles in caprine ovarian tissue cultured in vitroJ J H Celestino
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, LAMOFOPA, PPGCV, State University of Ceara, Fortaleza CE Brazil
Reprod Sci 16:239-46. 2009..In conclusion, the low concentrations of epidermal growth factor maintain caprine follicular viability and promote the transition from primordial to primary follicles...
- High-throughput RNA interference screens in Drosophila tissue culture cellsSusan Armknecht
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Drosophila RNAi Screening Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Methods Enzymol 392:55-73. 2005....
- Upregulation of chemokine expression in murine cornea due to mechanical trauma or endotoxinR G Pillai
Department of Immunology, Division of Medicine, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Campus, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 92:259-64. 2008..Expression of chemokines is central to the recruitment of leucocytes during inflammatory events. This study was designed to evaluate the effects of surgical trauma or storage conditions on chemokine expression...
- In vitro secretion profiles of interleukin (IL)-1beta, IL-6, IL-8, IL-10, and TNF alpha after selective infection with Escherichia coli in human fetal membranesVeronica Zaga-Clavellina
Biomedical Research Branch, Instituto Nacional de Perinatologia Isidro Espinosa de los Reyes, Mexico City, Mexico
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 5:46. 2007....
- The effects of oxygen concentration on in vitro output of prostaglandin E2 and interleukin-6 from human fetal membranesM Al-Asmakh
Institute of Reproductive and Developmental Biology, Imperial College London, London, UK
Mol Hum Reprod 13:197-201. 2007..The data identify oxygen as a regulator of fetal membrane inflammatory functions during human pregnancy, and its mechanism of action requires further study...
- Tissue-specific cytokine release from human extra-placental membranes stimulated by lipopolysaccharide in a two-compartment tissue culture systemNatalie W Thiex
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, The University of Michigan, 1415 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 7:117. 2009....
- Development and characterization of a canine oral mucosa equivalent in a serum-free environmentJunhui Song
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0018, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 71:143-53. 2004..In conclusion, canine EVPOMEs were successfully fabricated in a defined serum-free system with similar characteristics to native buccal mucosa. GFP-transfected canine oral keratinocytes could be identified within the EVPOME...
- Dynamic oxygen enhances oocyte maturation in long-term follicle cultureMatthew K Heise
McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15219, USA
Tissue Eng Part C Methods 15:323-32. 2009..05). Fertilization of the oocytes from the dynamic oxygen group was confirmed through a successful trial of intracytoplasmic sperm injection...
- Transgenic superroots of Lotus corniculatus can be regenerated from superroot-derived leaves following Agrobacterium-mediated transformationHidenori Tanaka
JST Innovation Satellite Miyazaki, Japan Science and Technology Agency, 1 1 Gakuen Kibanadai Nishi, Miyazaki 889 2192, Japan
J Plant Physiol 165:1313-6. 2008..The protocol makes it now possible to produce transformed SR and nodules as well as transgenic plants from transformed SR...
- Survival of human pre-antral follicles after cryopreservation of ovarian tissue, follicular isolation and in vitro culture in a calcium alginate matrixChristiani A Amorim
Department of Gynecology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Avenue Emmanuel Mounier 52, bte 5247, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Hum Reprod 24:92-9. 2009..On the basis of this assumption, the aim of our study was to investigate in vitro survival and growth of pre-antral follicles after cryopreservation of ovarian tissue and follicular isolation, followed by encapsulation in alginate beads...
- DEVELOPMENTAL SIGNAL INTEGRATION BY FETAL LUNG FIBROBLASMatthew Lee; Fiscal Year: 2003..By determining how Shc 66 regulates the growth of fibroblast precursors in the fetal and preterm neonatal lung, new strategies may be developed to attenuate the pathological fibroblast proliferation of BPD...
- Cellular Mechanisms Controlling Dog Oocyte MaturationNucharin Songsasen; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Aging and the MicrovasculatureMay Reed; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results will define the key points of deficient microvascular growth in the aged and also develop the microvessel sprout model into a highly useful tool for studies of vascular growth in general. ..
- AGING AND ENDOTHELIAL CELL FUNCTIONMay Reed; Fiscal Year: 2009..The elucidation of mechanisms that regulate MMP activity in aged cells and tissues will assist the development of therapies to improve wound repair and revascularization of ischemic organs. ..
- BIOMECHANICAL EFFECT OF ACUPUNCTURE NEEDLINGHELENE LANGEVIN; Fiscal Year: 2001..This will contribute to the fundamental understanding of acupuncture therapy and may lead to improvements in treatments. ..
- Soft Tissue Biomechanical Behavior During Acupuncture in Low Back PainHelene M Langevin; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Electromechanical Stimuli on the Development of Engineered Myotendinous JunctionLisa Larkin; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Caspase Cleavage of MEF2 Mediates Neuronal ApoptosisStuart Lipton; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Glycogen Synthase Kinase-3 and Muscle Insulin ResistanceERIK HENRIKSEN; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Developmental regulation of cardiac gene expressionAnthony Azakie; Fiscal Year: 2007..An understanding of the transcriptional mechanisms that control cardiogenesis may also elucidate the molecular pathogenesis of various congenital heart defects and cardiomyopathies. ..
- Analysis of Cartilage Morphology and sGAG Content via Contrast Enhanced Micro-CTRobert Guldberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Electrical Control of Reentrant Spiral Waves in Cardiac TissueLeslie Tung; Fiscal Year: 2007..The successful use of low energy counterchecks can avoid the pain and psychological trauma of present day high energy therapy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MICROPUNCTURE STUDIES OF LUNG WATER AND SOLUTE EXCHANGEJahar Bhattacharya; Fiscal Year: 2007..The FAKP studies are outstandingly novel. They will directly test the critical role of FAK in causing barrier enhancement, and reveal FAK therapy as a novel therapeutic possibility for ALI. ..
- Synchrotron-Based Infrared Microscope for Chemical Imaging of DiseaseLisa Miller; Fiscal Year: 2007..This instrument will be unique worldwide. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Metals and Protein Structure in Protein-Folding DiseasesLisa Miller; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, we use the local structure and homogeneity of the in situ metal-protein complex to develop a possible mechanism for the complex formation and toxicity. ..
- Cannabinoid-Induced Desensitization of TRPV1 ReceptorsNATHANIEL JESKE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results from these studies will provide evidence supporting the use of cannabinoids as a possible treatment for patients suffering from local inflammatory pain. ..
- RETINAL GANGLION CELLS: ION CHANNELS & TRANSMITTERSStuart A Lipton; Fiscal Year: 2010..To characterize the ligand-binding site of NR3-containing receptors, and use information from  and  to distinguish expression of NR1/NR3 "doublet" receptors from NR1/NR2/NR3 "triplet" receptors on RGCs. ..
- The Role of BCL-2 in Corneal Epithelial Cell SheddingDANIELLE ROBERTSON; Fiscal Year: 2008..4) That events leading to increased apoptosis such as UV light signal surface cell apoptosis through the phosphorylation of BCL-2. ..
- Feasibility of Unfrozen Sub-zero Storage of Mammalian Tissues with Insect Anti-FrKelvin Brockbank; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- CENTER FOR NEUROSCIENCE EXCELLENCERodney L Parsons; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Transcriptional Control of Respiratory Epithelial Progenitor CellsJeffrey A Whitsett; Fiscal Year: 2010..A Stem Cell Consortium will be established at CCHMC, Univ. of Cincinnati College of Medicine to develop education, training, and research bridging hematopoietic stem cell and pulmonary stem cell biology on our campus. ..
- ABCA3 and Alveolar HomeostasisJeffrey A Whitsett; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- REENTRANT ACTIVITY IN CULTURED CARDIAC CELL MONOLAYERSLeslie Tung; Fiscal Year: 2009..These aims exploit the properties of the cultured cell monolayer as a well-controlled, versatile and quantitative experimental model for basic studies of clinically important, reentry-based arrhythmias. ..
- Ischemic Spasticity: Modulation by GAD65 Gene DeliveryMartin Marsala; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Pyrophosphate in vascular calcification of renal failureW CHARLES O apos NEILL; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results will establish a new paradigm for vascular calcification in renal failure and form the basis for important clinical trials in humans. ..
- Spatiotemporal Progression of Meniscal DegradationMarc E Levenston; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will provide important new insights into the progression of meniscal degeneration and could lead to novel diagnostic or therapeutic targets to prevent or delay the progression of OA. ..
- Nasal carriage of S. aureus: host-pathogen interactionsAlexander M Cole; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- MOLECULAR INDUCTION OF CORNEAL ENDOTHELIAL PROLIFERATIONNancy Joyce; Fiscal Year: 2009..If our hypothesis is correct, molecular approaches could tap the residual proliferative capacity of HCEC in older donors by decreasing p21 expression. ..
- Age-related insulin resistance, muscle, and exerciseJOSEPH HOUMARD; Fiscal Year: 2009..By using a primary human cell culture system we intend to determine if oxidative capacity directly influences insulin signaling/insulin action. ..
- The Exocyst in Synthesis, Cystogenesis and TubulogenesisJOSHUA LIPSCHUTZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Vitamin D5 in Prevention of Mammary CarcinogenesisRajendra Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2006..Whether prohibitin plays a role in cell transformation and chemopreventive efficacy in these cells? 3. How is 1alpha(OH)D5 metabolized in normal and neoplastic mammary epithelial cells and tissues? ..
- ELECTRICAL EXCITATION OF CARDIAC MUSCLELeslie Tung; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Modulation of parasympathetic neurons by PACAP peptidesRODNEY PARSONS; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Reconstructed Human Oral TissuesMitchell Klausner; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, studies addressing basic oral biology phenomena, namely anti-microbial peptide regulation and HIV infection, will be performed. ..
- Tensile Stimulation of Tissue Engineered FibrocartilageMARC LEVENSTON; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- MTOPS Prostate Samples Analysis ConsortiumVictor Lin; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Mechanical Stress and the Heat-Treatment of Soft TissueJAY HUMPHREY; Fiscal Year: 2003..There is a need for a firmer scientific understanding. ..
- TISSUE-CRYSTAL INTERACTION CA OXALATE NEPHROLITHIASISSaeed Khan; Fiscal Year: 2003..We can follow various events of nephrolithiasis in the animal model and cats explore the outcome of renal epithelial cell exposure to oxalate and calcium oxalate crystals in the cell cultures. ..
- Human Tissue Model For Heterosexual HIV TransmissionMitchell Klausner; Fiscal Year: 2003..Protocols for irritation studies will be finalized and the mechanisms of HIV infection and transmission in the tissue will be delineated. Finally, methodology for testing HIV microbicides will be developed. ..
- ANGIOGENIC THERAPY FOR INFARCTED AND ISCHEMIC HEARTRobert Tomanek; Fiscal Year: 2003..Such interventions have a number of advantages over more invasive interventions, e.g., the delivery of oxogenous growth factors or gene therapy. ..
- Ophthalmic Antibiotic Resistance StudyKirk Wilhelmus; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Inhibitors of 5alpha-reductase for acne therapyLingna Li; Fiscal Year: 2002..PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS: Liposomal 4-MA will be developed as a topical selectively targeted therapeutic for acne for which they should be a very market. ..
- Bioreactor for Stem Cell Tissue EngineeringLeslie Tung; Fiscal Year: 2002..The ability to expand and differentiate stem cells with this technology could provide a virtually unlimited source of tissue for treatment of disease and injury. ..
- Highly Differentiated Tissue Culture Models of MelanomaMitchell Klausner; Fiscal Year: 2002..The tissues will be characterized in terms of morphology, tumor progression, and adhesion receptors. Finally, reproducibility of the tissue models will be investigated. ..
- SPINAL NEURAL ACTIVITY--ROLE IN POST ISCHEMIC INJURYMartin Marsala; Fiscal Year: 2001..The role of HSP72 expression in protection will be tested by examining the effects of antisense pretreatment on HSP72 expression and the same three measures of ischemic damage. ..
- Social stress-induced changes in energy homeostasisKELLIE TAMASHIRO; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- NUMERICAL SIMULATION OF CARDIAC ELECTROPHYSIOLOGYBradley Roth; Fiscal Year: 2005..Each hypothesis is motivated by experimental data, and the goal of the theoretical simulations is to interpret these data. ..
- Retrograde Dystrophic Influence of IFN-gamma on NeuronsPamela Lein; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Effect of Leptin on Trophoblast InvasivenessLaura Schulz; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Imageable tumor-targeting bacteriaMing Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Contact Fluorescence ImagingLeslie Tung; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Chemoprevention of Oral Dysplasia by Black RaspberriesSusan Mallery; Fiscal Year: 2005..This experimental design (comparison of pretreatment and post-treatments tissues) permits each patient to serve as their own internal control. ..
- Engineered Cartilage Storage and Transport SolutionKelvin Brockbank; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will lead to the development and commercialization of Unisol formulations specifically designed for cold storage of tissue engineered cartilage constructs. ..
- Efficacy of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 in colon cancer chemopreventionRajendra G Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2010..The studies will provide a rationale for using 25(OH)D3 for the prevention of colon carcinogenesis. ..
- PHOSPHOINOSITIDE HYDROLYSIS AND BETA CELL SECRETIONWalter Zawalich; Fiscal Year: 2006..These aims will be accomplished by using sound principles of experimentation and employing isolated islets that retain their in vivo sensitivity to glucose. ..
- C elegans:a model to study intestinal water-soluble vitamins transport in vivoHAMID SAID; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Arteries Engineered from Porcine Vascular CellsLaura Niklason; Fiscal Year: 2005..Thus, by attacking the two important impediments in vascular tissue engineering, the experiments in this proposal will significantly advance the field. ..
- Cardiac Contraction-Relaxation CouplingPAULUS JANSSEN; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Focusing oral health research at the University of IowaChristopher Squier; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Functional role of Angiopoietin-2 in diabetic heartJian xiong Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Urokinase-type Plasminogen Activator System and Pancreatic Stellate CellsAurelia Lugea; Fiscal Year: 2007..Therapeutic strategies focusing on the regulation of uPA activation may be central in preventing or reverting alcohol-induced pancreas fibrosis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CaP, crystal responsible for idiopathic nephrolithasisSaeed Khan; Fiscal Year: 2008..Type density and size must conform to limits and specifications provided in the PHS 398Instructions. RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page 1 Description, ..
- Novel Cellular Lifespan Extension for Tissue EngineeringLaura Niklason; Fiscal Year: 2006..We anticipate that pot1-hTERT may have general applicability as a powerful tool to enable the engineering of multiple types of tissues for older humans. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pneumografting - a novel cell-based therapy for emphysemaEdward P Ingenito; Fiscal Year: 2010..We intend to advance this approach, known as pneumografting, into human trials under a physician-sponsored Investigation New Drug Application. ..
- Enabling Strategies for Growing Collagenous TissuesLAURA E contact NIKLASON; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this application, we will develop sophisticated mathematical models, non-invasive imaging techniques, and novel bioreactors that will allow us to precisely control and predict how new tissues will grow. (End of Abstract) ..
- Force Propagation of Emphysema in VivoEdward Ingenito; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of these experiments will provide new insight into the role of mechanical forces in promoting injury in the intact emphysema lung, and the effect of mechanical forces on tissue remodeling. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Responses to Surgical and Bronchoscopic Volume ReductionEdward Ingenito; Fiscal Year: 2006..We believe that by accomplishing these objectives, we can help advance this technology into the clinical arena. ..
- Eda/Edar Regulation of Embryonic SMG DevelopmentTina Jaskoll; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Experimental Creutzfeldt Jacob DiseaseLaura Manuelidis; Fiscal Year: 2007..Rapid infectivity assays in vitro can open the study of TSEs by providing a way to test any pure molecule or structure for its intrinsic infectivity by Koch's established postulates for infectious pathogens. ..
- The Influence of Static Magnetic Fields on Brain tissueAndrzej Wieraszko; Fiscal Year: 2003..The cell excitability, synaptic efficiency and action potentials recorded from the slices exposed to SMF will be studied. The directions of alternative and future research are delineated. ..
- Mechanism/regulation of human intestinal thiamin uptakeHAMID SAID; Fiscal Year: 2008..This should ultimately assist us in the designing of effective strategies to optimize thiamin body homeostasis in conditions associated with thiamin deficiency and sub-optimal levels. ..
- Ultrasound-Enhanced Delivery of Medications to the EyeRonald Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will visualize the distribution of the molecules within the sclera, choroid and retina to evaluate transport and characterize any tissue damage that might have occurred microscopically and by apoptosis assays. ..