Genomes and Genes
culture diffusion chambers
Summary: Devices used in a technique by which cells or tissues are grown in vitro or, by implantation, in vivo within chambers permeable to diffusion of solutes across the chamber walls. The chambers are used for studies of drug effects, osmotic responses, cytogenic and immunologic phenomena, metabolism, etc., and include tissue cages.
Publications199 found, 100 shown here
- Nanoemulsions as vehicles for transdermal delivery of aceclofenacFaiyaz Shakeel
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard Hamdard University, Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi 110062, India
AAPS PharmSciTech 8:E104. 2007..These results suggested that nanoemulsions are potential vehicles for improved transdermal delivery of aceclofenac...
- Augmented increase in tight junction permeability by luminal stimuli in the non-inflamed ileum of Crohn's diseaseJ D Soderholm
Department of Surgery and Clinical Research Centre, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Gut 50:307-13. 2002..The luminal contents are important for development of neoinflammation following resection. Regulation of tight junctions by luminal factors has not previously been studied in Crohn's disease...
- Skin permeation enhancement potential of Aloe Vera and a proposed mechanism of action based upon size exclusion and pull effectLouise Cole
Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF10 3XF, United Kingdom
Int J Pharm 333:10-6. 2007..A new mechanistic rationale is proposed whereby larger drug solutes inhibit the permeation of Aloe Vera components, but also are then able to interact more effectively with the enhancing factor and be subject to the pull effect...
- Efficacy and irritancy of enhancers on the in-vitro and in-vivo percutaneous absorption of curcuminJia You Fang
Pharmaceutics Laboratory, Graduate Institute of Natural Products, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
J Pharm Pharmacol 55:593-601. 2003..The results showed that skin disruption and inflammation did not necessarily correspond to the enhancing efficiency of the enhancers...
- A novel in vitro percutaneous penetration model: evaluation of barrier properties with p-aminobenzoic acid and two of its derivativesMiranda de Jager
Department of Drug Delivery Technology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, University of Leiden, PO Box 9052, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
Pharm Res 23:951-60. 2006..The composition, organization, and orientation of lipids in the SCS bear high resemblance to that of the intercellular barrier lipids in SC...
- In vitro studies on release and human skin permeation of Australian tea tree oil (TTO) from topical formulationsJürgen Reichling
Institute for Pharmacy and Molecular Biotechnology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 64:222-8. 2006..36+/-0.21 x 10(-7) cm/s) and semisolid O/W emulsion (8.41+/-0.15 x 10(-7) cm/s) demonstrated higher values indicating a penetration enhancement. No relationship between permeation and liberation was found...
- Elastic liposomes mediated transdermal delivery of an anti-hypertensive agent: propranolol hydrochlorideDinesh Mishra
Pharmaceutics Research Laboratory, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dr Hari Singh Gour University, Sagar MP, 470003 India
J Pharm Sci 96:145-55. 2007....
- Impact of antinucleants on transdermal delivery of testosterone from a sprayMarie Laure Leichtnam
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Geneva, 30, quai E Ansermet, CH 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
J Pharm Sci 96:84-92. 2007..The complicated evaporation/volatilization process, which takes place when a spray is pulverized, requires better characterization before the use of supersaturation for testosterone delivery can be optimized...
- Suitability of excised rabbit ear skin - fresh and frozen - for evaluating transdermal permeation of estradiolSara Nicoli
Department of Pharmacy, University of Parma, Italy
Drug Deliv 14:195-9. 2007..Fresh rabbit ear skin demonstrated a reasonable model of human epidermis in the investigation of estradiol permeation starting from both solutions and commercial patches...
- Effect of DC/mDC iontophoresis and terpenes on transdermal permeation of methotrexate: in vitro studyR Prasad
Centre for Biomedical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016, India
Int J Pharm 333:70-8. 2007..Histopathological studies on treated skin samples, gave an insight about the anatomical changes brought by the application of various enhancers. Binary mixture of menthol and ethanol in combination with square wave gave best results...
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of the transdermal iontophoretic delivery of sumatriptan succinateSonal R Patel
Vyteris, Inc, Fair Lawn, NJ, USA
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 66:296-301. 2007..The in vivo results show that the pharmacokinetics following transdermal iontophoretic delivery are comparable to those after oral, nasal or rectal administration, but do not match those upon subcutaneous injection...
- Skin irritation in transdermal drug delivery systems: a strategy for its reductionKoji Kawahara
Department of Bioscience and Bioinformatics, Kyushu Institute of Technology, 680 4, Kawazu, Iizuka, Fukuoka, 820 8502, Japan
Pharm Res 24:399-408. 2007..We have studied a possible approach for the reduction of skin irritation by patch formulations that control the rates of skin permeation and elimination of API...
- Synthesis and topical delivery of N-alkyl-N-alkyloxycarbonylaminomethyl prodrugs of a model phenolic drug: acetaminophenSusruta Majumdar
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, United States
Int J Pharm 337:48-55. 2007..The flux of NANAOCAM prodrugs of APAP was accurately predicted by the Roberts-Sloan (RS) equation...
- The in vitro permeability coefficient and short-term absorption rates for vinyl toluene using human cadaver skin mounted in a static diffusion cell modelWilliam J Fasano
DuPont Haskell Laboratory for Health and Environmental Sciences, Newark, Delaware, USA
Drug Chem Toxicol 29:39-55. 2006....
- Niosomes as carriers for tretinoin. III. A study into the in vitro cutaneous delivery of vesicle-incorporated tretinoinMaria Manconi
Dipartimento Farmaco Chimico Tecnologico, Universita degli Studi di Cagliari, Via Ospedale 72, 09124 Cagliari, Italy
Int J Pharm 311:11-9. 2006..Moreover, interactions between skin and vesicles seem to depend on physico-chemical properties of the main component of the vesicular bilayer...
- Efficacy and irritancy of enhancers on the in-vitro and in-vivo percutaneous absorption of curcuminJia You Fang
Pharmaceutics Laboratory, Graduate Institute of Natural Products, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
J Pharm Pharmacol 55:1175. 2003
- Temperature influences the postelectroporation permeability state of the skinS Narasimha Murthy
Molecular and Cellular Biophysics Department, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
J Pharm Sci 93:908-15. 2004..The enhanced transport is most likely due to the prolonged postpulse permeable state of the skin. Electroporation at mild hyperthermia temperatures resulted in delivering much higher quantities of macromolecules...
- Topical delivery of a model phenolic drug: alkyloxycarbonyl prodrugs of acetaminophenScott C Wasdo
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Pharm Res 21:940-6. 2004....
- Human skin penetration of sunscreen nanoparticles: in-vitro assessment of a novel micronized zinc oxide formulationSheree E Cross
Therapeutics Research Unit, Southern Clinical Division, Department of Medicine, University of Queensland, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba, Australia
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 20:148-54. 2007..No particles could be detected in the lower stratum corneum or viable epidermis by electron microscopy, suggesting that minimal nanoparticle penetration occurs through the human epidermis...
- Dependence of skin permeability on contact areaPankaj Karande
Department of Chemical Engineering University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
Pharm Res 20:257-63. 2003..Our results suggest that an array of smaller reservoirs should thus be more effective in increasing transdermal drug delivery compared to a large single reservoir of the same total area...
- In vitro percutaneous permeability enhancement of nimodipine by limonene across the excised rat abdominal skinY S R Krishnaiah
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Pharmazie 59:942-7. 2004..The results suggest that limonene is useful for enhancing the skin permeability of nimodipine from transdermal therapeutic systems containing HPMC gel as a reservoir...
- High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of sumatriptan after in vitro transdermal diffusion studiesA Femenía-Font
Departamento de Fisiologia, Farmacologia y Toxicologia, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales y de la Salud, Universidad Cardenal Herrera CEU, 46113 Moncada, Spain
J Pharm Biomed Anal 37:621-6. 2005..The detector response, at 282.7 nm, was found to be linear in a concentration range between 0.145 and 145 microM. The limit of detection (LOD) was 0.019 microM and the limit of quantification (LOQ) was 0.145 microM...
- In vitro permeation screening of a new formulation of thiocolchicoside containing various enhancersG C Ceschel
Pharmaceutical Sciences Department, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Drug Deliv 9:259-63. 2002..The formulation containing DPPG/ethanol as an enhancer could be a good candidate for a new topical foam, considering its good characteristics of permeability and compliance...
- Estimation of transdermal permeation parameters in non-stationary diffusion experiments. Application to pre-treatment studies with terpenesA Boix
Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Pharm Res 22:94-102. 2005..To estimate the applicability of transdermal drug permeation parameters in a finite-dose model for skin pre-treated with terpenes and to evaluate the enhancing effect of some terpene formulations on alprazolam permeation...
- Pre-treatment effects of trichloroethylene on the dermal absorption of the biocide, triazineRonald E Baynes
Center for Chemical Toxicology Research and Pharmacokinetics CCTRP, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA
Toxicol Lett 159:252-60. 2005....
- Evaluation of constant current alternating current iontophoresis for transdermal drug deliveryGuang Yan
Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, 84112, USA
J Control Release 110:141-50. 2005..2 ma)...
- Enhancement of skin permeation of high molecular compounds by a combination of microneedle pretreatment and iontophoresisXue Ming Wu
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Josai University, 1 1 Keyakidai, Sakado, Saitama 350 0295, Japan
J Control Release 118:189-95. 2007..These results suggest that the combination of iontophoresis with microneedle pretreatment may be a useful means to increase skin permeation of high molecular compounds...
- Probing the skin permeation of eicosapentaenoic acid and ketoprofen 2. Comparative depth profiling and metabolism of eicosapentaenoic acidChristopher P Thomas
Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, Wales, UK
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 67:156-65. 2007..However, this link appears to be only part of the solution of EPA enhancement however, as even in non-viable skin ketoprofen had an enhancing affect...
- Effect of O-acylmenthol on transdermal delivery of drugs with different lipophilicityLigang Zhao
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, 103 Wenhua Road, Shenyang, Liaoning 110016, China
Int J Pharm 352:92-103. 2008..989 (P=0.144) for M-LA, r = 0.965 (P = 0.216) for M-CA, r = 0.786 (P = 0.630) for M-SA, and r = 0.996 (P = 0.088) for M-OA...
- Evaluation of in vivo efficacy of topical formulations containing soybean extractSandra R Georgetti
Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Ribeirao Preto USP, Avenue Do Café s n, CEP 14040 903, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Int J Pharm 352:189-96. 2008..In conclusion, the present results suggest for the first time that formulations containing soybean extract may be a topical source of antioxidant compounds that decrease oxidative damages of the skin...
- Enhanced transdermal delivery of salbutamol sulfate via ethosomesEhab R Bendas
Department of Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Kasr Elainy St, Cairo, Egypt
AAPS PharmSciTech 8:E107. 2007....
- Formulation and evaluation of ethosomes for transdermal delivery of lamivudineSubheet Jain
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research, Punjabi University, Patiala, Patiala Punjab 147 002 India
AAPS PharmSciTech 8:E111. 2007..5%) as compared with drug solution (24.9% +/- 1.9%). The results of the characterization studies indicate that lipid perturbation along with elasticity of ethosomes vesicles seems to be the main contributor for improved skin permeation...
- Newborn pig skin as model membrane in in vitro drug permeation studies: a technical noteFrancesco Cilurzo
Istituto di Chimica Farmaceutica e Tossicologica P Pratesi, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Viale Abruzzi, 42 20131 Milan, Italy
AAPS PharmSciTech 8:E94. 2007
- Improvement of the experimental setup for skin absorption screening studies with reconstructed skin EPISKINS Gregoire
L Oreal Recherche, Aulnay sous Bois, France
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 21:89-97. 2008..The EPISKIN model has been greatly improved in the recent years and it is now possible to develop screening tests for the evaluation of skin penetration with a higher reliability...
- In vitro permeation study of hinokitiol: effects of vehicles and enhancersHyang Hee Joo
School of Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University, Kangwon Do, Korea
Drug Deliv 15:19-22. 2008..Each was added to the HKL solution (1%) so that the concentration of the enhancer was 1%. Among the enhancers, DP was the most effective and it enhanced the permeation of HKL approximately 5-10 times...
- Preparation and evaluation of diltiazem hydrochloride diffusion-controlled transdermal delivery systemEkapol Limpongsa
Department of Manufacturing Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
AAPS PharmSciTech 9:464-70. 2008..Further in vitro permeation and in vivo performance studies are required...
- Erbium:YAG laser enhances transdermal peptide delivery and skin vaccinationWoan Ruoh Lee
Department of Dermatology, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Control Release 128:200-8. 2008..To reveal the mechanisms underlying these changes, a proteomic technique combined with mass spectrometry was used. This is, to our knowledge, the first report of a laser being used to immunize intact animals...
- Modulation of dihydroavenanthramide D release and skin penetration by 1,2-alkanediolsSandra Heuschkel
Institute of Pharmacy, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Wolfgang Langenbeck Strasse 4, Halle Saale, Germany
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 70:239-47. 2008..Due to their favorable biopharmaceutical and technological properties, longer chain 1,2-alkanediols represent a valuable class of ingredients for dermal products...
- Development and evaluation of a microemulsion formulation for transdermal delivery of terbinafineS Baboota
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard Hamdard University, New Delhi 1100 62, India
PDA J Pharm Sci Technol 61:276-85. 2007..05). Microbiological studies of TB in microemulsion showed better anti-fungal activity against Candida albicans and Aspergillus flavus as compared to marketed product (P < 0.05)...
- Enhancement of skin penetration of vitamin K using monoolein-based liquid crystalline systemsLuciana B Lopes
Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av do Cafe, S N, 14040 930, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Eur J Pharm Sci 32:209-15. 2007..These results demonstrate that the topical delivery of vitK incorporated in a lipophilic vehicle is small, but it may be enhanced by MO-based systems, which might be useful to increase the effectiveness of topical vitK therapy...
- Effects of pressure sensitive adhesives and chemical permeation enhancers on the permeability of fentanyl through excised rat skinAmir Mehdizadeh
Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tehran, Iran
Acta Pharm 56:219-29. 2006..It was concluded that propylene glycol as a CPE and cosolvent in 10% (m/m) with 3% fentanyl loading in Duro-Tak 2054 showed an effective monolithic DIAP for the development of a transdermal therapeutic system for fentanyl...
- Delivery of ethinylestradiol from film forming polymeric solutions across human epidermis in vitro and in vivo in pigsInes Zurdo Schroeder
Department of Biopharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology, Saarland University, 66123 Saarbruecken, Germany
J Control Release 118:196-203. 2007..These promising results encourage the further development of film forming polymeric solutions as novel transdermal dosage form...
- Formulation of transdermal drug delivery system: matrix type, and selection of polymer- their evaluationRajesh Kaza
Sree Vidyanikethan, College of Pharmacy, Sree Sainath Nagar, A Rangampet 517102, Chandragiri Mandal, Chittoor Dt, AP, India
Curr Drug Discov Technol 3:279-85. 2006..Comparative study shows that there is two fold increases in the percentage of permeation...
- Human skin penetration and distribution of nimesulide from hydrophilic gels containing nanocarriersMarta P Alves
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Ipiranga 2752, CEP 90610 000, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Int J Pharm 341:215-20. 2007..The gels containing nanocarriers (GNM-NC, GNM-NS and GNM-NE) were able to release the drug in the viable layer of the skin, comparing to a non-particulated nimesulide-loaded formulation at the same concentration...
- Combined effects of iontophoretic and chemical enhancement on drug delivery. II. Transport across human and murine skinL M A Nolan
School of Chemistry, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
Int J Pharm 341:114-24. 2007..The investigation also indicated that the barrier properties of the skin recover following the constant current iontophoresis in the presence of oleic or lauric acids...
- Hydrogel-thickened microemulsion for topical administration of drug molecule at an extremely low concentrationHuabing Chen
College of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 430074 Wuhan, China
Int J Pharm 341:78-84. 2007..8 times over control gel. The powerful permeation enhancing ability of HTM with a suitable viscosity makes it promising alternative carrier for transdermal administration of drug molecule at an extremely low concentration...
- Quantitative structure-permeation relationship for iontophoretic transport across the skinBlaise Mudry
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Geneva, University of Lausanne, 30 Quai Ernest Ansermet, Geneva 4, Switzerland
J Control Release 122:165-72. 2007..4 consistent with skin's cation permselectivity. In conclusion, this research offers a practical contribution to the development of a predictive structure-transport model of iontophoresis...
- Sumatriptan succinate transdermal delivery systems for the treatment of migraineC Balaguer-Fernández
Departamento de Fisiologia, Farmacologia y Toxicologia, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales y de la Salud, Universidad CEU Cardenal Herrera, 46113 Moncada, Spain
J Pharm Sci 97:2102-9. 2008..05). In addition, the application of iontophoresis to the wet methyl cellulose-Azone formulation produced a much higher increase of sumatriptan transdermal flux...
- Dermal and transdermal delivery of an anti-psoriatic agent via ethanolic liposomesVaibhav Dubey
Pharmaceutics Research Laboratory, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dr Hari Singh Gour University, Sagar M P, 470003, India
J Control Release 123:148-54. 2007..Our results suggests that ethosomes are an efficient carrier for dermal and transdermal delivery of MTX...
- First-principles, structure-based transdermal transport model to evaluate lipid partition and diffusion coefficients of hydrophobic permeants solely from stratum corneum permeation experimentsJoseph Kushner
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
J Pharm Sci 96:3236-51. 2007....
- Radiofrequency-driven skin microchanneling as a new way for electrically assisted transdermal delivery of hydrophilic drugsAmnon C Sintov
The Institutes for Applied Research, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, P O Box 653, Beer Sheva, 84105, Israel
J Control Release 89:311-20. 2003..The results emphasize, therefore, that the new transdermal technology is suitable for therapeutic delivery of poorly penetrating molecules...
- Comparative efficacy of cefoperazone, cefoperazone plus sulbactam, ciprofloxacin, clindamycin, metronidazole, and penicillin G against anaerobic bacteria in an animal modelJ A Moody
Infectious Disease Section, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN 55417
J Lab Clin Med 115:190-5. 1990..In vivo results with this model confirmed in vitro susceptibilities of all tested antimicrobials except ciprofloxacin and should provide useful indications of the potential clinical efficacy of other new agents against anaerobes...
- A commercially available cell culture device modified for dentin barrier testsG Schmalz
Clinic of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Regensburg, Germany
J Endod 22:249-52. 1996..The light-curing glass ionomer cement (vitrebond) and zinc oxide-eugenol killed all cells. These results agree with those obtained from a previous study, wherein the dentin barrier test device was constructed in our laboratory...
- Regional intestinal absorption of FITC-dextran 4,400 with nanoparticles based on beta-sitosterol beta-D-glucoside in ratsKoji Nakamura
Department of Pharmaceutics, Hoshi University, Ebara 2 4 41, Shinagawa, Tokyo 142 8501, Japan
J Pharm Sci 92:311-8. 2003..These findings suggested that absorption enhancement by Sit-G NP may not be due to opening of a tight junction, but might be related to endocytosis via glucose residue of Sit-G...
- Improvement of intestinal absorption of P-glycoprotein substrate by D-tartaric acidAiko Iida
Department of Drug Absorption and Pharmacokinetics, School of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan
Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 21:424-8. 2006....
- Revisiting the Münch pressure-flow hypothesis for long-distance transport of carbohydrates: modelling the dynamics of solute transport inside a semipermeable tubeS M Henton
Horticultural Research, Batchelor Research Centre, Private Bag 11030, Palmerston North, New Zealand
J Exp Bot 53:1411-9. 2002....
- Meconium-stained amniotic fluid activates polymorphonuclear leukocytes ultrastructural and enzyme-cytochemical evidenceS Matsubara
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi, Japan
Eur J Histochem 43:205-10. 1999..Meconium-stained amniotic fluid induced leukocyte activation might play important roles in the pathophysiology of initiation of term labor or of the meconium aspiration syndrome...
- Novel human bronchial epithelial cell lines for cystic fibrosis researchM L Fulcher
Univ of North Carolina Cystic Fibrosis Center, CB 7248, Rm 4011 Thurston Bowles Bldg, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 296:L82-91. 2009....
- Cardiac tissue engineering in an in vivo vascularized chamberAndrew N Morritt
Bernard O Brien Institute of Microsurgery, 42 Fitzroy St, Fitzroy, 3065 Victoria, Australia
Circulation 115:353-60. 2007..Cardiac tissue engineering offers the prospect of a novel treatment for acquired or congenital heart defects. We have created vascularized pieces of beating cardiac muscle in the rat that are as thick as the adult rat right ventricle wall...
- Multipulse drug permeation across a membrane driven by a chemical pH-oscillatorGauri P Misra
Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Minnesota, 308 Harvard St SE, 9 177 Weaver Densford Hall, Minneapolis, MN 55419, USA
J Control Release 79:293-7. 2002..Advantage is taken of a pH oscillator system whose periodicity is slower than that of previously considered oscillators...
- Co-culture of Aeromonas salmonicida and host cells in intraperitoneal implants is associated with enhanced bacterial survivalR A Garduno
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
Can J Microbiol 46:674-8. 2000..salmonicida-mediated lysis of host cells may constitute a survival strategy in vivo. The co-culture of bacteria with exudate peritoneal cells may be applicable to the in vivo study of other pathogens...
- Novel cyclosporin derivatives featuring enhanced skin penetration despite increased molecular weightAndreas Billich
Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Brunnerstrasse 59, A 1235 Vienna, Austria
Bioorg Med Chem 13:3157-67. 2005..Results also indicate that in principle higher skin levels of active drug can be attained with a prodrug strategy in this class of compounds...
- Gender differences in systemic inflammation and atheroma formation following Porphyromonas gingivalis infection in heterozygous apolipoprotein E-deficient miceC Champagne
Center for Oral and Systemic Diseases, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7450, USA
J Periodontal Res 44:569-77. 2009..In this study, we investigated whether infection with a major periodontal pathogen, Porphyromonas gingivalis, affected the inflammatory and atherosclerotic response of male and female mice differently...
- Hematopoietic differentiation of embryonic stem cellsIrina Orlovskaya
Institute for Clinical Immunology, Yadrinzovskaya 14, Novosibirsk 630090, Russian Federation
Methods 45:159-67. 2008....
- Dielectrophoretic assembly of insulinoma cells and fluorescent nanosensors into three-dimensional pseudo-islet constructsR Pethig
BioCurrents Research Centre, Program in Molecular Physiology, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA 02543, USA
IET Nanobiotechnol 2:31. 2008..The footprint of the 10 x 10 array of cell constructs was compatible with that of a 1536 microtitre plate, and thus amenable to optical interrogation using automated plate reading equipment...
- Primary clear-cell chondrosarcoma of the cervical spine. Case illustrationEnrico Tessitore
Department of Neurosurgery, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
J Neurosurg Spine 4:424. 2006
- Synthesis and enhancing effect of transkarbam 12 on the transdermal delivery of theophylline, clotrimazole, flobufen, and griseofulvinAlexandr Hrabálek
Department of Inorganic and Organic Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Charles University in Prague, Heyrovskeho 1203, 50012 Hradec Králové, Czech Republic
Pharm Res 23:912-9. 2006..We hypothesized that DDEAC reacts with air CO2 to form a two-chain ammonium carbamate--Transkarbam 12 (T12)--which is responsible for the enhancing effect...
- Double-decker chemotaxis: no evidence for photonic stimulation of directed locomotion by human blood polymorphonuclear leukocytesLeonard S Kaplow
Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 53:289-92. 2002..Only random PMN locomotion was observed in the adjacent chamber. The results indicate that in this experimental model, electromagnetic forces do not initiate directed locomotion...
- Tracking the dephosphorylation of resveratrol triphosphate in skin by confocal Raman microscopyGuojin Zhang
Department of Chemistry, Newark College of Arts and Sciences, Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey 07102, USA
J Control Release 123:141-7. 2007..Thus, the bioavailability of resveratrol in the epidermis appears to be enhanced upon application of the pro-molecule compared to resveratrol...
- In vitro and in vivo degradation of bioabsorbable PLLA spinal fusion cagesM van Dijk
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Biomed Mater Res 63:752-9. 2002..Despite the high-load-bearing conditions, the poly-L-lactic acid cage allowed interbody fusion to occur without collapse of the cage...
- Description and characterization of a chamber for viewing and quantifying cancer cell chemotaxisLilian Soon
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Jack and Pearl Resnick Campus, Bronx, New York, USA
Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 62:27-34. 2005..This result suggests that polarized cancer cells can avoid the need for oscillatory path corrections during chemotaxis...
- Transcriptional modulation of some Staphylococcus aureus iron-regulated genes during growth in vitro and in a tissue cage model in vivoMarianne Allard
Centre d Étude et de Valorisation de la Diversité Microbienne CEVDM, Departement de Biologie, Faculte des Sciences, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, QC, Canada
Microbes Infect 8:1679-90. 2006..The expression of iron-regulated genes in distinct low-iron environments provided insight into their relative importance in vitro and in vivo and their usefulness for vaccine and drug development...
- The effect of zaldaride maleate, an antidiarrheal compound, on acetylcholine-induced intestinal electrolyte secretionN Aikawa
The Drug Development Research Laboratories, Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co, Ltd, 1188 Shimotogari, Nagaizumi cho, Sunto gun, Shizuoka, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 23:1377-8. 2000..Zaldaride may reduce colonic electrolyte secretion by acetylcholine due to the inhibition of acetylcholine release from synaptosomes of colonic submucosal nerves...
- Roles of the telencephalic cells and their chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans in delimiting an anterior border of the retinal pathwayH Ichijo
Department of Anatomy, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8575, Japan
J Neurosci 21:9304-14. 2001..The results indicate that the telencephalic cells delimit the anterior border of the optic tract with their CSPGs and prevent the retinal axons from aberrantly entering the anterior territory...
- Transdermal penetration of UV filtersP Klinubol
Sensor Research Unit, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 21:23-9. 2008..The results also confirmed the significant penetrations of EHMC and BMBM and the insignificant penetrations of EHTMC and TMB...
- Mechanisms of chloride secretion induced by thermostable direct haemolysin of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in human colonic tissue and a human intestinal epithelial cell lineA Takahashi
Department of Bacterial Infections, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Japan
J Med Microbiol 49:801-10. 2000..Thus, TDH increases Cl- secretion in human colonic epithelial cells, apparently through mechanisms involving cell binding and Ca2+ influx, followed by elevation of [Ca2+]in associated with PKC phosphorylation...
- Cryosurgery of normal and tumor tissue in the dorsal skin flap chamber: Part II--injury responseN E Hoffmann
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
J Biomech Eng 123:310-6. 2001..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that vascular-mediated injury is responsible for the majority of injury at the edge of the frozen region in microvascular perfused tissue...
- Anticoagulants (thrombin inhibitors) and aspirin synergize with P2Y12 receptor antagonism in thrombosisPatrick Andre
Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 256 E Grand Ave, South San Francisco, Calif 9408, USA
Circulation 108:2697-703. 2003..This study was designed to determine whether (1) P2Y12 antagonism synergizes with other antithrombotics and (2) anticoagulants (thrombin inhibitors) affect the antithrombotic activity elicited by P2Y12 antagonism...
- Effect of electric field on the enhanced skin permeation of drugs by electroporationKenji Mori
Tsukuba Research Laboratories, Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, 1 25 11 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0856, Japan
J Control Release 90:171-9. 2003....
- Evaluation of barrier creams against sulphur mustard: (II) In vivo and in vitro studies using the domestic white pigRobert P Chilcott
Chemical Hazards and Poisons Division, Health Protection Agency, Chilton, Didcot, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Cutan Ocul Toxicol 26:235-47. 2007..cm(-2), respectively), further validating the use of pigs as a toxicologically-relevant dermal model for SM exposure...
- GTX 2/3 epimers permeate the intestine through a paracellular pathwayRafael Torres
Lab Bioquímica de Membrana, Dept de Fisiologia y Biofisica, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Chile, Casilla 70005, Correo 7, Santiago, Chile
J Toxicol Sci 32:241-8. 2007..A model was developed, according to which tight junctions undergo a toxin concentration and time-dependent change, while transepithelial resistance shows a modest decrease...
- Improved survival of macroencapsulated islets of Langerhans by preimplantation of the immunoisolating device: a morphometric studyE Rafael
Department of Transplantation Surgery, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Cell Transplant 12:407-12. 2003..42 +/- 0.5 vs. 0.50 +/- 0.3). Preimplantation of the TheraCyte device seems to improve the survival of an encapsulated islet graft and reduce fibroblast outgrowth in the device...
- Applicability of the Ussing chamber technique to permeability determinations in functionally distinct regions of the gastrointestinal tract in the ratB H Bajka
Child Health Research Institute and Cooperative Research Centre for Tissue Growth and Repair, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Scand J Gastroenterol 38:732-41. 2003..Ussing chambers are commonly utilized for in vitro investigations into gastrointestinal permeability. However, their sensitivity and applicability to the small intestine have not been well characterized...
- Microsurgical arterovenous loops and biological templates: a novel in vivo chamber for tissue engineeringBenedetto Manasseri
Department of Surgical Specialties, Plastic Surgery Division, University of Messina Medical School, Messina, Italy
Microsurgery 27:623-9. 2007..Here we describe a new microsurgical model of bioengineering in rats based on the use of an arterovenous loop (AV) implanted into a commercially available crosslinked collagen/glycosaminoglycan template...
- A novel human skin chamber model to study wound infection ex vivoLars Steinstraesser
Department of Plastic Surgery, BG University Hospital Bergmannsheil, Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Arch Dermatol Res 302:357-65. 2010..For investigation of wound infection, treatment and healing, the BO-drum presents a convenient model and may help to standardize wound research...
- In vitro cutaneous application of ISCOMs on human skin enhances delivery of hydrophobic model compounds through the stratum corneumHenriette Baun Madsen
Department of Pharmaceutics and Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 2, 2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
AAPS J 11:728-39. 2009..The increased penetration seems to be reflected by a change in the intercellular space between the corneocytes, and the effect is most likely caused by the components of the ISCOMs rather than intact ISCOMs...
- The passage of trimethylamine across rat and human skinS Kenyon
Biological Chemistry, Division of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Food Chem Toxicol 42:1619-28. 2004..Small but detectable amounts of trimethylamine were oxidised to its N-oxide during passage through the skin...
- A novel transdermal patch incorporating isosorbide dinitrate with bisoprolol: in vitro and in vivo characterizationJi Hui Zhao
State Key Laboratory of Natural and Biomimetic Drugs and School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China
Int J Pharm 337:88-101. 2007..As a patient-friendly, convenient, and multi-day dosing therapeutic system, the transdermal patches incorporating ISDN and BP could be promising for prevention and treatment of hypertension...
- Transdermal delivery of cytochrome C--A 12.4 kDa protein--across intact skin by constant-current iontophoresisJ Cázares-Delgadillo
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Geneva and University of Lausanne, 30 Quai Ernest Ansermet, 1211, Geneva, Switzerland
Pharm Res 24:1360-8. 2007..To demonstrate the transdermal iontophoretic delivery of a small (12.4 kDa) protein across intact skin...
- Differential expression of osteogenic factors associated with osteoinductivity of human osteosarcoma cell linesYan Yu
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, University of New South Wales, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, NSW 2031, Australia
J Biomed Mater Res A 70:122-8. 2004..The characterized cell lines can be used as positive and negative controls for the assessments of both in vitro and in vivo bone formation capabilities of designed tissues or biomaterials...
- A new technique for measurement of water permeability of stomatous cuticular membranes isolated from Hedera helix leavesJ Santrucek
Institute of Plant Molecular Biology, AS CR, Branisovska 31, CZ 37005 Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
J Exp Bot 55:1411-22. 2004....
- Permeability of human amniotic membrane to ofloxacin in vitroMiklós D Resch
Department of Ophthalmology, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:1024-7. 2010..The aim of this study was to develop a model to investigate the permeability of the amniotic membrane (AM) to ofloxacin eye drops, a widely used topical antibiotic in ocular surface disease after AM transplantation...
- Solute transport in the deep and calcified zones of articular cartilageK P Arkill
Biophysics Group, School of Physics, University of Exeter, UK
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 16:708-14. 2008..2) To investigate transport from the subchondral microcirculation into calcified cartilage in an intact perfused joint and the effects on transport of static loading...
- Acetabular revision using grafts and cagesAllan E Gross
University of Toronto, and Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mount Sinai Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 31:213-5. 2002..Approaches to acetabular revision based on this classification have resulted in good outcomes...
- Overexpression of the 18 kDa and 22/24 kDa FGF-2 isoforms results in differential drug resistance and amplification potentialGermana Dini
Department of Experimental Pathology and Oncology of Florence University, Florence, Italy
J Cell Physiol 193:64-72. 2002..Coexpression of all isoforms appears to be necessary to obtain cumulative effects and nuclear-targeted HMW FGF-2 has a pivotal role in such a cooperation...
- Analysis of single-cell differences by use of an on-chip microculture system and optical trappingY Wakamoto
Department of Life Sciences, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo, Japan
Fresenius J Anal Chem 371:276-81. 2001..It should thus help in the clarification of heterogeneous phenomena, for example unequal cell division and cell differentiation...
- Evaluation of reaction of primate brain to grafted PC12 cellsH Yoshida
Department of Neurological Surgery, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama ken, Japan
Cell Transplant 8:427-30. 1999..These results indicate that encapsulated PC12 cell transplantation is an effective and safe strategy for the treatment of Parkinson's disease...
- Glass ring-wall sealing to prevent leakage from electrode culture chambers: a technical noteE Marani
Dept Physiology, LUMC, The Netherlands
Arch Physiol Biochem 106:316-7. 1998..Repeated rinsing with xylene and subsequently with hydrated steps of ethanol (100%-70%-30%) allows the ring-wall and chamber floor with its electrodes to be reused...
- HIV type 1 Nef protein is a viral factor for leukocyte recruitment into the central nervous systemU Koedel
Department of Neurology, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Germany
J Immunol 163:1237-45. 1999....
- Pharmacodynamics, chiral pharmacokinetics and PK-PD modelling of ketoprofen in the goatA K Arifah
The Royal Veterinary College, University of London, Hawkshead Campus, North Mymms, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 7TA, UK
J Vet Pharmacol Ther 26:139-50. 2003..These data illustrate for KTP shallow concentration-response relationships, probable nonselectivity of KTP for cyclooxygenase (COX)-1 and COX-2 inhibition and lack of measurable effect on components of inflammation...
- A paired comparison between human skin and hairless guinea pig skin in vitro permeability and lag time measurements for 6 industrial chemicalsH Frederick Frasch
Exposure Assessment Branch, Health Effects Laboratory Division, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Morgantown, West Virginia 26508, USA
Cutan Ocul Toxicol 28:107-13. 2009..818 +/- 0.030) and the intercept close to 0 (-0.014 +/- 0.023 h), with r(2) = 0.994. These results suggest that HGP skin may serve as an excellent surrogate for human skin in in vitro dermal penetration studies...
- SOLUTE AND FLUID TRANSPORT ACROSS THE CONJUNCTIVAOSCAR CANDIA; Fiscal Year: 2002..Based on this model, he will devise protocols to modify and possibly reverse the secretory/absorptive properties of the tissue. ..
- Fluid Movement across Conjunctiva: Stimulation and RegulationOSCAR CANDIA; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies may provide the groundwork for the design of future treatment modalities for dry-eye syndromes. ..
- Measurement of Fluid Flow Across the Ocular Ciliary BodyOSCAR CANDIA; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Infusion of Particles at Implant interfecesStuart Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Osteolysis and Implant Wear: Biological, Biomedical Engineering, and Surgical PriStuart Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Electroporation and transcutaneous extraction of drugsSATHYANARAYANA MURTHY; Fiscal Year: 2006..Further we also plan to correlate the time course of unbound ciprofloxacin in dermal ECF with that in synovial fluid determined by microdialysis in rat. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PH REGULATION IN VENTRICULAR CELLSKENNETH SPITZER; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results of this project will yield new information concerning hormonal modulation of cardiac pHi control systems and the action of intracellular and intercellular H+ diffusion to dissipate regional pHi gradients. ..
- Protein Biomarkers of Drinking During PregnancyDANIEL SAVAGE; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- BIOFUNCTIONAL MATERIALS CONTAINING PROTEIN MIMETICSWEIYUAN KAO; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- CHLORIDE TRANSPORT IN HUMAN CILIARY EPITHELIUMRichard Crook; Fiscal Year: 2001..He also proposes to test the hypothesis that other hormones known to either increase or decrease aqueous inflow might exert their effects through modulation of Na+, K+, Cl cotransport activity. ..
- Screening Putative Therapeutic Agents for Fetal Ethanol-Induced Learning DeficitsDANIEL SAVAGE; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Interaction between host cells and multicomponent material matrixWEIYUAN KAO; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., human blood-derived macrophages, dermal fibroblasts, and keratinocytes) using monoculture and binary cell culture systems. (3) To ascertain IPN efficacy in vivo in modulating the host reaction and healing. ..
- Quantitating Absorption of Complex Chemical MixturesJim Riviere; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- In vivo study of diabetic hyperglycemia and inflammationRobert Gyurko; Fiscal Year: 2009..Moreover, findings on novel lipid inhibitors of inflammation will be important in evaluating the therapeutic potential of these compounds in resolving inflammation in periodontal and other inflammations. ..
- NALTREXONE PRODRUGS FOR TRANSDERMAL DELIVERYAudra L Stinchcomb; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Dual Oxidase in Lung EpitheliumHORST B FISCHER; Fiscal Year: 2011..This research investigates a novel area of lung anti-microbial defense and will provide new information that may lead to therapeutic application. ..
- NOX-mediated proton secretion by airwaysHorst Fischer; Fiscal Year: 2006..This will help develop novel therapeutical targets for the treatment of airway acidity and inflammatory airway diseases. ..
- Glial Maintenance of Local K+ and NeurotransmissionJULIAN MEEKS; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will determine the functional relevance of KIRs in hippocampal astrocytes and provide new insight into the role of KIRs in passive [K+]o buffering. ..
- MECHANISMS OF PROSTAGLANDIN INDUCED INTESTINAL REPAIRAnthony Blikslager; Fiscal Year: 2002..These experiments will provide insight into the signaling pathways and mechanisms by which prostaglandins trigger repair of acutely-injured intestinal epithelium. ..
- ARNDS--CORTICAL PLASTICITY AND LEARNINGDANIEL SAVAGE; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such information can show the way to preventing life-long cognitive and behavioral handicaps. ..
- TECNIA 12 BioTWIN Transmission Electron MicroscopeGuido Zampighi; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- A Method To Study Membrane Protein StructureGuido Zampighi; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- BIOFUNCTIONAL MATERIALS CONTAINING PROTEIN MIMETICSWEIYUAN KAO; Fiscal Year: 2003..The controlled release of these bioactive factors may have therapeutic values in the fundamental processes of inflammation, biocompatibility, and tissue healing. ..
- 3D Adipose Tissue Generation and Functional VerificationCharles Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- VASCULARIZATION IN TISSUE ENGINEERED CONSTRUCTSCharles Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2001..does TEC-recipient inosculation play in TEC vascularization? (b) What are the biological functions of CD144, principally with regards to its role in inosculation and its regulation by the unique TEC microenvironment? ..
- BIOFUNCTIONAL MATERIALS CONTAINING PROTEIN MIMETICSWEIYUAN KAO; Fiscal Year: 2001..The controlled release of these bioactive factors may have therapeutic values in the fundamental processes of inflammation, biocompatibility, and tissue healing. ..
- MECHANISMS OF ARND RELATED SYNAPTIC PLASTICITY DEFICITSDANIEL SAVAGE; Fiscal Year: 2002..Further, these results could provide insights into whether agents that affect mGluR function could be used to treat synaptic plasticity deficits and, ultimately, learning deficits in prenatal ethanol-exposed offspring. ..
- Ischemic Spasticity: Modulation by GAD65 Gene DeliveryMartin Marsala; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Estrogen: Chrodroprotective or Destructive?Sally Frenkel; Fiscal Year: 2002..The inconclusive and contradictory data from human and animal studies render the proposed studies highly significant. ..
- SPINAL NEURAL ACTIVITY--ROLE IN POST ISCHEMIC INJURYMartin Marsala; Fiscal Year: 2001..The role of HSP72 expression in protection will be tested by examining the effects of antisense pretreatment on HSP72 expression and the same three measures of ischemic damage. ..
- Ischemic Paraplegia: Modulation by Stem Cell ImplantMartin Marsala; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PATHOGENESIS OF CORNEAL EDEMA AFTER INTRAOCULAR SURGERYHenry Edelhauser; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Transdermal Codrugs for Treatment of AlcoholismAudra Stinchcomb; Fiscal Year: 2006..Correlation of the in vitro data with the in vivo model will aid in the creation of a reliable QSAR database that is necessary to help identify the best co-drugs for clinical use. ..
- Nitric Oxide Defense Against Porphyromonas gingivalisRobert Gyurko; Fiscal Year: 2006..He is applying for the NIDCR Scholar Development and Faculty Transition Award to pursue scientific career as an independent investigator at Boston University School of Dental Medicine. [unreadable] [unreadable]..