Genomes and Genes
cell culture techniques
Summary: A technique for maintaining or growing CELLS in vitro. Cultures of dispersed cells derived directly from fresh TISSUES are called primary cell cultures. Cultures may also derive from established CELL LINE usually stored frozen.
Publications261 found, 100 shown here
- Minimal criteria for defining multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells. The International Society for Cellular Therapy position statementM Dominici
Laboratory of Cell Biology and Advanced Cancer Therapy, Oncology Hematology Department, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Cytotherapy 8:315-7. 2006....
- Embryonic stem cell lines derived from human blastocystsJ A Thomson
Wisconsin Regional Primate Research Center, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53715, USA
Science 282:1145-7. 1998..These cell lines should be useful in human developmental biology, drug discovery, and transplantation medicine...
- Human adipose tissue is a source of multipotent stem cellsPatricia A Zuk
Department of Surgery and Orthopedics, Regenerative Bioengineering and Repair Laboratory, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Mol Biol Cell 13:4279-95. 2002..Finally, PLA cells exhibited unique characteristics distinct from those seen in MSCs, including differences in CD marker profile and gene expression...
- Derivation of pluripotent epiblast stem cells from mammalian embryosI Gabrielle M Brons
Department of Surgery and Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, Addenbrooke s Hospital, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 0XY, UK
Nature 448:191-5. 2007..Epiblast stem cells provide a valuable experimental system for determining whether distinctions between mouse and human embryonic stem cells reflect species differences or diverse temporal origins...
- Morphogenesis and oncogenesis of MCF-10A mammary epithelial acini grown in three-dimensional basement membrane culturesJayanta Debnath
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Methods 30:256-68. 2003....
- New cell lines from mouse epiblast share defining features with human embryonic stem cellsPaul J Tesar
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nature 448:196-9. 2007..These results show that epiblast cells can be maintained as stable cell lines and interrogated to understand how pluripotent cells generate distinct fates during early development...
- Generation of induced pluripotent stem cells without Myc from mouse and human fibroblastsMasato Nakagawa
Department of Stem Cell Biology, Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Nat Biotechnol 26:101-6. 2008..The protocol also enabled efficient isolation of iPS cells without drug selection. Furthermore, we generated human iPS cells from adult dermal fibroblasts without MYC...
- Highly efficient neural conversion of human ES and iPS cells by dual inhibition of SMAD signalingStuart M Chambers
Developmental Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, 1275 York Ave, New York, New York 10065, USA
Nat Biotechnol 27:275-80. 2009..Noggin/SB431542-based neural induction should facilitate the use of hES and hiPS cells in regenerative medicine and disease modeling and obviate the need for protocols based on stromal feeders or embryoid bodies...
- Three-dimensional culture models of normal and malignant breast epithelial cellsGenee Y Lee
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Nat Methods 4:359-65. 2007..Alternatively, the 3D 'on-top' assay, in which cells are cultured on top of a thin lrECM gel overlaid with a dilute solution of lrECM, may be used as described in Box 2 (Fig. 1 and Fig. 2)...
- Identification of a novel hierarchy of endothelial progenitor cells using human peripheral and umbilical cord bloodDavid A Ingram
Department of Pediatrics, Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Blood 104:2752-60. 2004....
- Taking cell-matrix adhesions to the third dimensionE Cukierman
Craniofacial Developmental Biology and Regeneration Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Science 294:1708-12. 2001..These distinctive in vivo 3D-matrix adhesions differ in structure, localization, and function from classically described in vitro adhesions, and as such they may be more biologically relevant to living organisms...
- Single Lgr5 stem cells build crypt-villus structures in vitro without a mesenchymal nicheToshiro Sato
Hubrecht Institute and University Medical Center Utrecht, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
Nature 459:262-5. 2009..We conclude that intestinal cryptvillus units are self-organizing structures, which can be built from a single stem cell in the absence of a non-epithelial cellular niche...
- Substrate elasticity regulates skeletal muscle stem cell self-renewal in cultureP M Gilbert
Baxter Laboratory for Stem Cell Biology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Science 329:1078-81. 2010..Our studies provide novel evidence that by recapitulating physiological tissue rigidity, propagation of adult muscle stem cells is possible, enabling future cell-based therapies for muscle-wasting diseases...
- Isolation of multipotent mesenchymal stem cells from umbilical cord bloodOscar K Lee
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Veterans General Hospital Taipei, Taipei 11221, Taiwan
Blood 103:1669-75. 2004..In conclusion, umbilical cord blood does contain mesenchymal stem cells and should not be regarded as medical waste. It can serve as an alternative source of mesenchymal stem cells to bone marrow...
- Induction of pluripotent stem cells from fibroblast culturesKazutoshi Takahashi
Department of Stem Cell Biology, Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, 53 Kawahara machi, Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Nat Protoc 2:3081-9. 2007..The cells, named induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells, can be differentiated into three germ layers and committed to chimeric mice. Here we describe detailed methods and tips for the generation of iPS cells...
- The morphologies of breast cancer cell lines in three-dimensional assays correlate with their profiles of gene expressionParaic A Kenny
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Mol Oncol 1:84-96. 2007..We further demonstrate that consistent differences in genes encoding signal transduction proteins emerge when even tumor cells are cultured in 3D microenvironments...
- The third dimension bridges the gap between cell culture and live tissueFrancesco Pampaloni
Francesco Pampaloni, Emmanuel G Reynaud and Ernst H K Stelzer are at the Cell Biology and Biophysics Unit, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Meyerhofstrasse 1, D 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 8:839-45. 2007..We believe that 3D cultures will have a strong impact on drug screening and will also decrease the use of laboratory animals, for example, in the context of toxicity assays...
- Modeling tissue morphogenesis and cancer in 3DKenneth M Yamada
Laboratory of Cell and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cell 130:601-10. 2007..These models may help to accelerate translational research in cancer biology and tissue engineering...
- Mesenchymal progenitor cells in human umbilical cord bloodA Erices
Unidad de Biologia Celular, INTA, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Br J Haematol 109:235-42. 2000..Our results suggest that preterm, as compared with term, cord blood is richer in mesenchymal progenitors, similar to haematopoietic progenitors...
- Comparative characteristics of mesenchymal stem cells from human bone marrow, adipose tissue, and umbilical cord bloodWolfgang Wagner
Department of Medicine V, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Exp Hematol 33:1402-16. 2005..Whereas surface antigen markers have failed to precisely define this population, microarray analysis might provide a better tool for characterization of MSC...
- Direct conversion of human fibroblasts to multilineage blood progenitorsEva Szabo
Stem Cell and Cancer Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N 3Z5
Nature 468:521-6. 2010....
- Isolation of amniotic stem cell lines with potential for therapyPaolo De Coppi
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1094, USA
Nat Biotechnol 25:100-6. 2007....
- Cells on chipsJamil El-Ali
Department of Chemical Engineering, Center for Cell Decision Processes, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nature 442:403-11. 2006..Highly integrated microdevices show great promise for basic biomedical and pharmaceutical research, and robust and portable point-of-care devices could be used in clinical settings, in both the developed and the developing world...
- Robust hepatitis C virus infection in vitroJin Zhong
Departments of Molecular and Experimental Medicine and Immunology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:9294-9. 2005..This system provides a powerful tool for the analysis of host-virus interactions that should facilitate the discovery of antiviral drugs and vaccines for this important human pathogen...
- Telocytes in human term placenta: morphology and phenotypeLaura Suciu
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Bucharest, Romania
Cells Tissues Organs 192:325-39. 2010..In conclusion, this study confirms the presence of TC in human term placenta and provides their ultrastructural and immunophenotypic characterization...
- Long-term self-renewal of human pluripotent stem cells on human recombinant laminin-511Sergey Rodin
Division of Matrix Biology, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Nat Biotechnol 28:611-5. 2010..This xeno-free and feeder-free system may be useful for the development of cell lineages for therapeutic purposes...
- Development of definitive endoderm from embryonic stem cells in cultureAtsushi Kubo
The Carl C Icahn Center for Gene Therapy and Molecular Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Development 131:1651-62. 2004..These findings demonstrate that ES cells can generate endoderm in culture and, as such, establish this differentiation system as a unique murine model for studying the development and specification of this germ layer...
- In vitro expansion of human mesenchymal stem cells: choice of serum is a determinant of cell proliferation, differentiation, gene expression, and transcriptome stabilityAboulghassem Shahdadfar
Institute of Immunology, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Stem Cells 23:1357-66. 2005..Thus, hMSCs may be expanded rapidly and with stable gene expression in AS in the absence of growth factors, whereas FBS induces a more differentiated and less stable transcriptional profile...
- Feeder-independent culture of human embryonic stem cellsTenneille E Ludwig
Genome Center of Wisconsin, University of Wisconsin Madison, 425 Henry Mall, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Nat Methods 3:637-46. 2006
- Generation of pluripotent stem cells from adult human testisSabine Conrad
Institute of Anatomy, Department of Experimental Embryology, Tubingen, Germany
Nature 456:344-9. 2008....
- Culture of HepG2 liver cells on three dimensional polystyrene scaffolds enhances cell structure and function during toxicological challengeMaria Bokhari
School of Biological and Biomedical Science, Durham University, South Road, Durham DH1 3LE, UK
J Anat 211:567-76. 2007..This technology has potential applications for toxicity testing and drug screening...
- Efficient differentiation of human embryonic stem cells to definitive endodermKevin A D'Amour
CyThera Inc, 3550 General Atomics Ct, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Nat Biotechnol 23:1534-41. 2005..These findings may facilitate the use of hES cells for therapeutic purposes and as in vitro models of development...
- Germline competent embryonic stem cells derived from rat blastocystsPing Li
Eli and Edythe Broad Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at USC, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Cell 135:1299-310. 2008..Establishment of authentic rat ES cells will make possible sophisticated genetic manipulation to create models for the study of human diseases...
- Isolation of multipotent adult stem cells from the dermis of mammalian skinJ G Toma
Center for Neuronal Survival, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, 3801 rue University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2B4
Nat Cell Biol 3:778-84. 2001....
- Matrigel: basement membrane matrix with biological activityHynda K Kleinman
NIH, NIDCR, 30 433, 30 Convent Dr MSC 4370, Bethesda, MD 20892 4370, USA
Semin Cancer Biol 15:378-86. 2005..In vivo, it is used for measuring angiogenic inhibitors and stimulators, to improve graft survival, repair damaged tissues, and increase tumor growth...
- A culture system using human foreskin fibroblasts as feeder cells allows production of human embryonic stem cellsOuti Hovatta
Department of Clinical Science, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge University Hospital, S 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Hum Reprod 18:1404-9. 2003....
- Harnessing traction-mediated manipulation of the cell/matrix interface to control stem-cell fateNathaniel Huebsch
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nat Mater 9:518-26. 2010....
- Characterization of the optimal culture conditions for clinical scale production of human mesenchymal stem cellsPanagiota A Sotiropoulou
Cancer Immunology and Immunotherapy Center, Saint Savas Hospital, 171 Alexandras Avenue, 115 22, Athens, Greece
Stem Cells 24:462-71. 2006..In conclusion, in this report we define the optimal culture conditions for the successful isolation and expansion of human MSCs in high numbers for subsequent cellular therapeutic approaches...
- Collective migration of an epithelial monolayer in response to a model woundM Poujade
Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie Unité Mixte de Recherche 168, Institut Curie, Centre National de Recherche Scientifique, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, F 75248 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:15988-93. 2007..Experiments performed with autocrine cells constitutively expressing hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) or in the presence of exogenous HGF show a higher average velocity of the border and no leader...
- Clinical-grade production of human mesenchymal stromal cells: occurrence of aneuploidy without transformationKarin Tarte
INSERM U917, Universite Rennes 1, Rennes, France
Blood 115:1549-53. 2010..However, MSCs with or without chromosomal alterations showed progressive growth arrest and entered senescence without evidence of transformation either in vitro or in vivo...
- Optimization of chemically defined cell culture media--replacing fetal bovine serum in mammalian in vitro methodsJ van der Valk
Fac Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Yalelaan 2, 3584 CM Utrecht, The Netherlands
Toxicol In Vitro 24:1053-63. 2010..In this report, the results from the meeting are discussed and the formulation of a basic serum-free medium is suggested. Furthermore, recommendations are provided to improve information exchange on newly developed serum-free media...
- Stem cell properties of human dental pulp stem cellsS Gronthos
Craniofacial and Skeletal Diseases Branch, Building 30, Room 228, NIDCR, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Dent Res 81:531-5. 2002..Taken together, these results demonstrate that DPSCs possess stem-cell-like qualities, including self-renewal capability and multi-lineage differentiation...
- Cotransplantation of ex vivo expanded mesenchymal stem cells accelerates lymphocyte recovery and may reduce the risk of graft failure in haploidentical hematopoietic stem-cell transplantationLynne M Ball
Department of Pediatric Stem Cell Transplantation, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Blood 110:2764-7. 2007..These data suggest that MSCs, possibly thanks to their potent immunosuppressive effect on alloreactive host T lymphocytes escaping the preparative regimen, reduce the risk of graft failure in haploidentical HSC transplant recipients...
- Efficient establishment of human embryonic stem cell lines and long-term maintenance with stable karyotype by enzymatic bulk passageHirofumi Suemori
Laboratory of Embryonic Stem Cell Research, Stem Cell Research Center, Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, 53 Kawahara cho Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 345:926-32. 2006..These results provide valuable information that will assist in achieving the goal of the large-scale hES cell culture required for the application of hES cells to disease therapy...
- Cell culture: biology's new dimensionAlison Abbott
Nature 424:870-2. 2003
- Recurrent gain of chromosomes 17q and 12 in cultured human embryonic stem cellsJonathan S Draper
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Nat Biotechnol 22:53-4. 2004..These observations are instructive for the future application of hES cells in transplantation therapies in which the use of aneuploid cells could be detrimental...
- Critical parameters for the isolation of mesenchymal stem cells from umbilical cord bloodKaren Bieback
Institute of Transfusion Medicine and Immunology, German Red Cross Blood Service of Baden Württemberg Hessen, Friedrich Ebert Strasse 107, D 68167 Mannheim
Stem Cells 22:625-34. 2004..Because MSC-like cells can be isolated at high efficacy from full-term UCB donations, we regard UCB as an additional stem cell source for experimental and potentially clinical purposes...
- A functionally characterized test set of human induced pluripotent stem cellsGabriella L Boulting
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Biotechnol 29:279-86. 2011..This iPSC and ESC test set is a robust resource for those interested in the basic biology of stem cells and their applications...
- A new human somatic stem cell from placental cord blood with intrinsic pluripotent differentiation potentialGesine Kogler
Institute for Transplantation Diagnostics and Cell Therapeutics, Heinrich Heine University Medical Center, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
J Exp Med 200:123-35. 2004..No tumor formation was observed in any of these animals...
- Progressive lineage analysis by cell sorting and culture identifies FLK1+VE-cadherin+ cells at a diverging point of endothelial and hemopoietic lineagesS I Nishikawa
Department of Molecular Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Development 125:1747-57. 1998..This line of evidence implicates Flk1+VE-cadherin+ cells as a diverging point of hemopoietic and endothelial cell lineages...
- Small molecule mesengenic induction of human induced pluripotent stem cells to generate mesenchymal stem/stromal cellsYen Shun Chen
The University of Queensland, UQ Centre for Clinical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Stem Cells Transl Med 1:83-95. 2012....
- Genomic alterations in cultured human embryonic stem cellsAnirban Maitra
McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Department of Pathology, The Sol Goldman Pancreatic Cancer Research Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nat Genet 37:1099-103. 2005....
- Recent advances in three-dimensional multicellular spheroid culture for biomedical researchRuei Zeng Lin
Institute of Molecular Medicine, National Tsing Hua University, Hsin Chu, Taiwan
Biotechnol J 3:1172-84. 2008..Here we review the current understanding of multicellular spheroid formation mechanisms, their biomedical applications, and recent advances in spheroid culture, manipulation, and analysis techniques...
- Engineering tumors with 3D scaffoldsClaudia Fischbach
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, 40 Oxford Street Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nat Methods 4:855-60. 2007..This new biomimetic model may provide a broadly applicable 3D culture system to study the effect of microenvironmental conditions on tumor malignancy in vitro and in vivo...
- Expansion of human adult stem cells from bone marrow stroma: conditions that maximize the yields of early progenitors and evaluate their qualityIchiro Sekiya
Center for Gene Therapy, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112 2699, USA
Stem Cells 20:530-41. 2002..The results indicate that, when preparing cultures of human MSCs, it is necessary to compromise between conditions that provide the highest overall yields and those that provide the highest content of early progenitor cells...
- Butyrate greatly enhances derivation of human induced pluripotent stem cells by promoting epigenetic remodeling and the expression of pluripotency-associated genesPrashant Mali
Stem Cell Program, Institute for Cell Engineering, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Stem Cells 28:713-20. 2010..Moreover, butyrate stimulation provides an efficient method for reprogramming various human adult somatic cells, including cells from patients that are more refractory to reprogramming...
- Isolation and directed differentiation of neural crest stem cells derived from human embryonic stem cellsGabsang Lee
Developmental Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, 1275 York Ave, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nat Biotechnol 25:1468-75. 2007..The availability of unlimited numbers of human NCS cells offers new opportunities for studies of neural crest development and for efforts to model and treat neural crest-related disorders...
- Mesenchymal stem cells: clinical applications and biological characterizationFrank P Barry
Osiris Therapeutics Inc, 2001 Aliceanna Street, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 36:568-84. 2004..These include the host immune response to implanted cells, the homing mechanisms that guide delivered cells to a site of injury and the differentiation in vivo of implanted cells under the influence of local signals...
- HOXB4-induced expansion of adult hematopoietic stem cells ex vivoJennifer Antonchuk
Terry Fox Laboratory, British Columbia Cancer Agency, 601 West 10th Avenue, V5Z 1L3, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Cell 109:39-45. 2002..Importantly, these HSCs retained full lympho-myeloid repopulating potential and enhanced in vivo regenerative potential, demonstrating the feasibility of achieving significant ex vivo expansion of HSCs without functional impairment...
- Markers distinguishing mesenchymal stem cells from fibroblasts are downregulated with passagingSvetlana Halfon
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, Rehovot, Israel
Stem Cells Dev 20:53-66. 2011....
- Marrow-isolated adult multilineage inducible (MIAMI) cells, a unique population of postnatal young and old human cells with extensive expansion and differentiation potentialGianluca D'Ippolito
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center and Research Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Department of Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33125, USA
J Cell Sci 117:2971-81. 2004..MIAMI cells proliferate extensively without evidence of senescence or loss of differentiation potential and thus may represent an ideal candidate for cellular therapies of inherited or degenerative diseases...
- Isolation and characterization of multipotent skin-derived precursors from human skinJean G Toma
Department of Developmental Biology, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X8
Stem Cells 23:727-37. 2005..Together, these data indicate that SKPs are an endogenous multipotent precursor cell present in human skin that can be isolated and expanded and differentiate into both neural and mesodermal cell types...
- High-throughput 3D spheroid culture and drug testing using a 384 hanging drop arrayYi Chung Tung
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Analyst 136:473-8. 2011..The multiplexed 3D hanging drop culture and testing plate provides an efficient way to obtain biological insights that are often lost in 2D platforms...
- Focal adhesion size controls tension-dependent recruitment of alpha-smooth muscle actin to stress fibersJérôme M Goffin
Laboratory of Cell Biophysics, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, CH 1015, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Cell Biol 172:259-68. 2006..We propose that the different molecular composition and higher phosphorylation of FAs on supermature islets, compared with FAs on classical islets, accounts for higher stress resistance...
- A novel exposure system for the efficient and controlled deposition of aerosol particles onto cell culturesMelanie Savi
Institute of Anatomy, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 42:5667-74. 2008..In situ analyses of the lung cells, e.g., the ciliary beat frequency, indicative of the defense capability of the cells, are complemented by off-line biochemical, physiological, and morphological cell analyses...
- Aging of mesenchymal stem cell in vitroMandana Mohyeddin Bonab
Hematology Oncology and BMT Research Center, Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
BMC Cell Biol 7:14. 2006..The low frequency of this subpopulation of stem cells in bone marrow (BM) necessitates their in vitro expansion prior to clinical use. We evaluated the effect of long term culture on the senescence of these cells...
- Generation of a defined and uniform population of CNS progenitors and neurons from mouse embryonic stem cellsMiriam Bibel
Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Neuroscience Research, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Nat Protoc 2:1034-43. 2007..At least 2 weeks are required from starting ES cell culture until plating progenitors and differentiating neurons establish synaptic transmission within about 10 days...
- Long term culture of human embryonic stem cells on recombinant vitronectin in ascorbate free mediaAndrew B J Prowse
The Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Biomaterials 31:8281-8. 2010..The culture method outlined here provides a platform for future investigation into growth factor and extracellular matrix effects on hESC maintenance prior to bioreactor scale-up...
- A microfluidic culture platform for CNS axonal injury, regeneration and transportAnne M Taylor
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Irvine, 204 Rockwell Engineering, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Nat Methods 2:599-605. 2005..The results presented here demonstrate several experimental paradigms using the microfluidic platform, which can greatly facilitate future studies in axonal biology...
- Human alternatives to fetal bovine serum for the expansion of mesenchymal stromal cells from bone marrowKaren Bieback
Institute of Transfusion Medicine and Immunology, German Red Cross Blood Service of Baden Württemberg Hessen, Faculty of Clinical Medicine Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Stem Cells 27:2331-41. 2009..Telomerase activity was not detected in any of the cultures at any passage. In contrast to previous data from adipose tissue-derived MSCs, pHPL was found to be the most suitable FBS substitute in clinical scale BM-MSC expansion...
- Differentiation of human embryonic stem cells to neural lineages in adherent culture by blocking bone morphogenetic protein signalingLesley Gerrard
Department of Gene Function and Development, Roslin Institute, Roslin, Midlothian, EH25 9PS, UK
Stem Cells 23:1234-41. 2005..Our findings will provide a platform for studying the molecular mechanism controlling neural differentiation...
- Feeder-free derivation of induced pluripotent stem cells from adult human adipose stem cellsNing Sun
Department of Radiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:15720-5. 2009....
- Substrate compliance versus ligand density in cell on gel responsesAdam Engler
School of Engineering and Applied Science, Pennsylvania Muscle Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Biophys J 86:617-28. 2004..Based on such results, we hypothesize a central structural role for the cytoskeleton in driving the membrane outward during spreading whereas adhesion reinforces the spreading...
- Generation of pig induced pluripotent stem cells with a drug-inducible systemZhao Wu
Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, People s Republic of China
J Mol Cell Biol 1:46-54. 2009..Moreover, the porcine iPS cells produced may be directly useful for the generation of precise gene-modified pigs...
- Efficient differentiation of hepatocytes from human embryonic stem cells exhibiting markers recapitulating liver development in vivoDavid C Hay
Institute of Reproductive and Developmental Biology, Imperial College London, Du Cane Rd, London W12ONN, UK
Stem Cells 26:894-902. 2008..Our results have provided evidence that hESCs can be differentiated efficiently in vitro to functional hepatocytes, which may be useful as an in vitro system for toxicity screening in drug discovery...
- Transcriptional profiling of mucociliary differentiation in human airway epithelial cellsAndrea J Ross
Clinical Research Branch, Human Studies Division, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7315, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 37:169-85. 2007..This work has provided extensive information about gene expression changes during differentiation of airway epithelial cells, and will be a useful resource for researchers interested in respiratory function, pathology, and toxicology...
- Human cardiac stem cellsClaudia Bearzi
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:14068-73. 2007..Thus, hCSCs can be isolated and expanded in vitro for subsequent autologous regeneration of dead myocardium in patients affected by heart failure of ischemic and nonischemic origin...
- Tissue engineering--current challenges and expanding opportunitiesLinda G Griffith
Department of Chemical Engineering, Division of Bioengineering and Environmental Health, and Biotechnology Process Engineering Center, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Science 295:1009-14. 2002....
- Parthenogenetic embryo-like structures in the human ovarian surface epithelium cell culture in postmenopausal women with no naturally present follicles and oocytesIrma Virant-Klun
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Medical Centre, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Stem Cells Dev 18:137-49. 2009..In conclusion, the discovered cells expressed embryonic stem cell markers, gave rise to embryoid body-, oocyte-, and blastocyst-like structures, and might be involved in the human reproduction and formation of ovarian tumors...
- Directed differentiation of human-induced pluripotent stem cells generates active motor neuronsSaravanan Karumbayaram
Department of Neurology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
Stem Cells 27:806-11. 2009..These findings demonstrate the feasibility of using iPS-derived motor neuron progenitors and motor neurons in regenerative medicine applications and in vitro modeling of motor neuron diseases...
- Characterization of mesenchymal stem cells isolated from murine bone marrow by negative selectionMelody Baddoo
Center for Gene Therapy, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
J Cell Biochem 89:1235-49. 2003..Therefore, FGF2 appears to function as a mitogen and self-maintenance factor for murine MSCs enriched from bone marrow by negative selection...
- Spheres derived from the human SK-RC-42 renal cell carcinoma cell line are enriched in cancer stem cellsYong Zhong
Department of Immunology, Cancer Institute, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100021, China
Cancer Lett 299:150-60. 2010..The immunophenotype of the SFCs demonstrated in this study suggests that CSCs might play an important role in the evasion of tumor growth from immune surveillance...
- Generation of induced pluripotent stem cell lines from Tibetan miniature pigMiguel A Esteban
Stem Cell and Cancer Biology Group, Chinese Academy of Sciences Key Laboratory of Regenerative Biology, South China Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Guangzhou Institutes of Biomedicine and Health, Guangzhou 510663, USA
J Biol Chem 284:17634-40. 2009..Because porcine physiology closely resembles human, the iPS cells reported here provide an attractive model to study certain human diseases or assess therapeutic applications of iPS in a large animal model...
- Ex vivo expansion of mesenchymal stromal cellsMaria Ester Bernardo
Dipartimento di Ematologia ed Oncologia Pediatrica, IRCCS Ospedale Pediatrico Bambino Gesù, P le Sant Onofrio, 4, 00165 Roma, Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 24:73-81. 2011..Available tests to study the genetic stability of ex vivo expanded MSCs are also analyzed...
- Directed and systematic differentiation of cardiovascular cells from mouse induced pluripotent stem cellsGenta Narazaki
Laboratory of Stem Cell Differentiation, Stem Cell Research Center, Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Circulation 118:498-506. 2008..However, detailed differentiation properties and the directional differentiation system of iPS cells have not been demonstrated...
- Puromycin-based purification of rat brain capillary endothelial cell cultures. Effect on the expression of blood-brain barrier-specific propertiesN Perriere
CNRS UMR 7157, INSERM U705, University Paris 7, University Paris 5, Hopital Fernand Widal, Paris, France
J Neurochem 93:279-89. 2005..In conclusion, this method of RBEC purification will allow the production of in vitro models of the rat blood-brain barrier for cellular and molecular biology studies as well as pharmacological investigations...
- 3-D tumor model for in vitro evaluation of anticancer drugsJayme L Horning
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, The University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198, USA
Mol Pharm 5:849-62. 2008..A well-characterized 3-D model can particularly be useful for rapid screening of a large number of therapeutics for their efficacy during the drug discovery phase...
- Derivation of midbrain dopamine neurons from human embryonic stem cellsAnselme L Perrier
Laboratory of Stem Cell and Tumor Biology, Division of Neurosurgery and Developmental Biology Program, and Cell Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, New York, NY 10021, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:12543-8. 2004..This experimental system also provides a powerful tool to probe the molecular mechanisms that control the development and function of human midbrain DA neurons...
- Role of oxidative damage in toxicity of particulatesPeter Møller
Department of Public Health, Section of Environment Health, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Free Radic Res 44:1-46. 2010..The results indicate that oxidative stress and elevated levels of oxidatively altered biomolecules are important intermediate endpoints that may be useful markers in hazard characterization of particulates...
- Complete meiosis from human induced pluripotent stem cellsC Eguizabal
Center for Regenerative Medicine in Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Stem Cells 29:1186-95. 2011..Our work brings us closer to the production of personalized human gametes in vitro...
- Osteoprogenitor response to semi-ordered and random nanotopographiesMatthew John Dalby
Centre for Cell Engineering, Division of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Joseph Black Building, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8QQ, UK
Biomaterials 27:2980-7. 2006..The results demonstrated that the nanotopographies stimulated the osteoprogenitor cell differentiation towards an osteoblastic phenotype...
- Modeling morphogenesis and oncogenesis in three-dimensional breast epithelial culturesChristy Hebner
Department of Surgery and Center for Bioengineering and Tissue Regeneration, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Annu Rev Pathol 3:313-39. 2008..We review how 3D models are being used to investigate fundamental cellular and biophysical mechanisms associated with breast cancer progression that have not been readily amenable to traditional genetic or biochemical analysis...
- Differentiation of human embryonic stem cells on three-dimensional polymer scaffoldsShulamit Levenberg
Department of Chemical Engineering, Divisions of Health Sciences and Technology, and Comparative Medicine, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:12741-6. 2003..This approach provides a unique culture system for addressing questions in cell and developmental biology, and provides a potential mechanism for creating viable human tissue structures for therapeutic applications...
- Feeder layer- and serum-free culture of human embryonic stem cellsM Amit
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, and the Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, 31096 Haifa, Israel
Biol Reprod 70:837-45. 2004..The feeder layer-free culture system reported here aims at facilitating research practices and providing a safer alternative for future clinical applications of hES cells...
- Reproducible, ultra high-throughput formation of multicellular organization from single cell suspension-derived human embryonic stem cell aggregatesMark D Ungrin
Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 3:e1565. 2008....
- Human ESCs predisposition to karyotypic instability: Is a matter of culture adaptation or differential vulnerability among hESC lines due to inherent properties?Puri Catalina
Andalusian Stem Cell Bank University of Granada, Instituto de Investigación Biomédica, Granada, Spain
Mol Cancer 7:76. 2008..Here, we prompted to compare the chromosomal stability of three hESC lines maintained in the same laboratory using identical culture conditions and passaging methods...
- Naive and primed pluripotent statesJennifer Nichols
Wellcome Trust Centre for Stem Cell Research, Department of Physiology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QR, UK
Cell Stem Cell 4:487-92. 2009..We propose that two phases of pluripotency can be defined: naive and primed. This distinction extends to pluripotent stem cells derived from embryos or by molecular reprogramming ex vivo...
- Establishment of a normal medakafish spermatogonial cell line capable of sperm production in vitroYunhan Hong
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, 10 Kent Ridge Crescent, Singapore 119260
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:8011-6. 2004..Our findings and cell line will offer a unique opportunity to study and recapitulate spermatogenesis in vitro and to develop approaches for germ-line transmission...
- Treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma with Epstein-Barr virus--specific T lymphocytesKarin C M Straathof
Center for Cell and Gene Therapy, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, 1102 Bates St, Suite 1120, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Blood 105:1898-904. 2005..These results demonstrate that administration of EBV-specific CTLs to patients with advanced NPC is feasible, appears to be safe, and can be associated with significant antitumor activity...
- Feeder- and serum-free establishment and expansion of human induced pluripotent stem cellsMehdi Totonchi
Department of Stem Cells and Developmental Biology, Royan Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Technology, ACECR, Tehran, Iran
Int J Dev Biol 54:877-86. 2010..Such hiPSCs could be useful particularly in the context of in vitro disease modeling, pharmaceutical screening and in cellular replacement therapies once the safety issues have been overcome...
- Metabolic flux analysis in mammalian cell cultureLake Ee Quek
Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology AIBN, The University of Queensland, Brisbane QLD 4072, Australia
Metab Eng 12:161-71. 2010..Advances in both modeling and analytical techniques are bringing this challenge within sight...
- Regulation of Apical Polarity in Breast CancerSOPHIE LELIEVRE; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- System-level properties of the E. coli metabolic networkZOLTAN OLTVAI; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Drug Transporters and the Disposition of ADHD Therapeutic AgentsJohn S Markowitz; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Development of tissue-specific cell lines in DrosophilaAmanda Simcox; Fiscal Year: 2009..Subsequent use of the cell lines by individual investigators to study diverse biological problems is expected to impact our understanding of human disease. ..
- MUTANT LINES OF ZEBRAFISH HIGHLY SENSITIVE TO NEOPLASIAJan Spitsbergen; Fiscal Year: 2005..These lines of zebrafish will provide an efficient and inexpensive system for development of new treatment and prevention strategies for cancer, and will help identify new genes controlling growth and differentiation. ..
- Nitric oxide in bladder neural-epithelial signalingLori Birder; Fiscal Year: 2005..Elucidation of mechanisms impacting on urothelial function may provide insights into the pathology of bladder dysfunction. ..
- CELL COMMUNICATION IN RETINAShu Zhen Wang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Once the functional glutamate receptors are characterized, double immunolabeling is used to confirm their presence on the dendrites of the ganglion cell where it receives excitation from dyad synapses. ..
- Inhibition of TNF in Patients with Alcoholic HepatitisVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Functional Genomics of Dictyostelium DevelopmentWilliam Loomis; Fiscal Year: 2005..Predictions derived from such networks will be tested when microarray analyses are extended to include further developmental mutants. ..
- Neuroprotective effect of HSP27 in Cerebral IschemiaJun Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..The in vitro models will complement the in vivo studies by allowing for precise mechanistic studies to be performed. ..
- Programmed Cell Death Induced by Cerebral IschemiaJun Chen; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Role of TRP Channels in Statin Reversal of Nephropathy in Early Stage Type 2 DMSTEVEN SANSOM; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will determine if and how a certain drug, simvastatin, can be used to treat patients in the early stage of type 2 diabetes mellitus and prevent or slow the progression of kidney disease. ..
- Molecular Mechanisms of Portal HypertensionVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of TRAIL-induced apoptosisFrancis Chan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our experiments may also provide a useful diagnostic tool to determine response of cancers to treatments involving TRAIL or agonist TRAIL antibodies. ..
- CCNY/MSKCC BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING PARTNERSHIPJOHN TARBELL; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dermal-Epidermal Communication during Wound HealingAlan Wells; Fiscal Year: 2008..These investigations will define key extracellular and intracellular molecules for wound resolution. These are potential targets for rationally designed interventions to promote normal wound healing and limit scarring. ..
- Apoptosis Execution Pathways in Dopaminergic Cell DeathJun Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..3. Test the hypotheses that Bax is a direct mediator for AIF release, and Bax contributes to dopaminergic cell death by activating both AIF-dependent and caspase-dependent pathways. ..
- Correlative Multimodal Imaging of Cardiac Electrophysiology and MetabolismJOHN PETER contact WIKSWO; Fiscal Year: 2010..This work will be a key step towards developing improved metabolic therapies. ..
- Role of Programmed Necrosis in Immune ResponsesFrancis Chan; Fiscal Year: 2006..Moreover, controlling cell death may offer a novel approach to treating autoimmune diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Small RNAs in Stem Cell Differentiation and Neural DevelopmentRobert H Blelloch; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, a systematic analysis of their function in embryonic and somatic stem cells as proposed in this grant should provide important insights into how they influence and can be used to diagnose and treat human disease. ..
- MECHANISMS OF CHLORPYRIFOS DEVELOPMENTAL NEUROTOXICITYTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Molecular mechanisms of developmental neurotoxicity can be determined and linked to eventual alterations in behavioral performance. ..
- REG OF NITRIC OXIDE PRODUCT IN THE HEPATIC CIRCULATIONVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2002..Defining the mechanisms that regulate nitric oxide production in SEC may lead to therapeutic options whereby NO activity may be pharmacologically or genetically modulated and benefit patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension. ..
- INTEGRATION OF FIBROBLAST FUNCTIONING IN WOUND HEALINGAlan Wells; Fiscal Year: 2003..Understanding the delicate balance of these molecular mechanisms is important for rationally designing interventions to achieve normal wound healing. ..
- DRUGS AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE ADRENERGIC NERVOUS SYSTEMTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- WALL SHEAR STRESS IN THE CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEMJOHN TARBELL; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- DISSECTING ENZYMATIC NETWORKS IN SINGLE NEURONSNancy Allbritton; Fiscal Year: 2003..This information can be used to map the temporal interrelationships of neuronal signaling networks. As a result many fundamental questions regarding neuronal development, synaptic plasticity, brain injury, and aging can be answered. ..
- BLADDER CANCER BIOMARKERS GUIDES TO SURGERY AND THERAPYRobert Hurst; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results of this study should generate biomarker profiles that are based in basic, mechanistic understanding of metastasis that can subsequently be tested in controlled clinical studies. ..
- MEASUREMENT OF KINASE ACTIVITIES IN SINGLE TUMOR CELLSNancy Allbritton; Fiscal Year: 2001..When fully developed, this integrated microchip will represent a new paradigm in single-cell measurement techniques. ..
- SHEAR STRESS EFFECTS ON ENDOTHELIAL TRANSPORTJohn M Tarbell; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION THROUGH CALCIUM WAVESNancy Allbritton; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Toward Tissue Engineering of the Knee MeniscusKyriacos A Athanasiou; Fiscal Year: 2010..Successful completion of this proposal will establish a framework for future scaffoldless meniscus regeneration attempts using alternate cell sources for the repair and replacement of meniscus tissue. ..
- Urothelial cell response to bacterial infectionRobert Hurst; Fiscal Year: 2004..These data will form an essential element in either an R01 or a program project and will permit the PI to develop a new line of urologic research. ..
- SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION MECHANISMS IN EPIDERMISMiroslav Blumenberg; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- LASER DOPPLER VELOCIMETER SYSTEM FOR BIOMEDICAL STUDIESJOHN TARBELL; Fiscal Year: 2001..The system will be the primary measurement system for the ongoing research in cardiovascular prosthetics including mechanical heart valve cavitation and ventricular assist devices. ..
- Dietary Cysteine:Conceptal Response to Oxidative StressCraig Harris; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Rapid Analysis of Signaling in Adherent CellsNancy Allbritton; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Micropallet Arrays for Separation of Single Cells and ColoniesNancy L Allbritton; Fiscal Year: 2010..The applications which involve basic cell biology, tumorigenesis, and signaling mechanisms in diabetes mellitus will demonstrate that the novel separation system should be widely applicable to the biomedical sciences. ..
- An Automated Platform for Kinase Assays on Patient CellsNancy Allbritton; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase & Portal HypertensionVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Intercellular signaling during terminal differentiationWilliam Loomis; Fiscal Year: 2009..Together these studies will add to the foundation for improvements in the diagnosis and treatment of neurological diseases. ..
- Mechanochemical regulation of endothelial permeabilityKonstantin Birukov; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Synthesis and Characterization of Patterned Microvascular NetworksJoe Tien; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the long-term, engineered networks may enhance the perfusion of artificial tissues in vitro, and thereby overcome one of the primary obstacles in tissue engineering. ..
- Etiology of Pediatric AtopyEdward Zoratti; Fiscal Year: 2008..Blood specimens, DNA and mRNA from parents and subjects will be placed in a biorepository for future molecular epidemiology studies. ..
- Pre-association and Signaling by TNF-like ReceptorsFrancis Chan; Fiscal Year: 2003..The second part of this proposal attempts to elucidate the mechanism by which TNFR coordinates the recruitment of these signaling proteins. ..
- Failure of FasL Mediated Pathways in Tumor AngiogenesisVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2006..These insights may lead to novel and effective therapeutic strategies that target this pathway to prevent angiogenesis, and thereby prevent colorectal tumor development growth and spread. ..
- b-catenin's role in establishing the gut stem cell nicheMelissa Wong; Fiscal Year: 2009..These proposed studies will directly examine the role of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling on maintenance of the stem cell niche and will shed insight into the regulatory control of intestinal stem cells. ..
- In search of the intestinal stem cellMelissa Wong; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will determine if a signaling cascade is responsible for defining "stemness" or if a yet to be defined master regulator molecule directs synergy of the multiple pathways. ..
- MECHANISM OF REGULATION OF A GLOMERULAR K CHANNELSTEVEN SANSOM; Fiscal Year: 2005..Ultimately, better management of some forms of hypertension could develop from an in-depth understanding of BK regulatory mechanism at the molecular level. ..
- In Vitro Synthesis of a Microvascular NetworkJoe Tien; Fiscal Year: 2004..This work will further determine the thickness of tissue that can be sustained metabolically by an engineered microvascular construct comprised of two interconnected plexuses. ..
- Profiling Ras Activated Signal Transduction PathwaysNancy Allbritton; Fiscal Year: 2004..The successful completion of this work will provide a new and powerful tool for basic research, drug discovery and screening, cancer classification, and potentially clinical decision making. ..
- Transplanted Stem Cells and Tumor ProgressionMelissa H Wong; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is feasible that fusion promoting factors, or the fusion products themselves, may be useful targets for preventing tumor progression. ..
- Cell Cycle Mechanisms of PTH/PTHrP Action in OsteoblastsNABANITA DATTA; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Self-Assembly of Mesostructure BiomaterialsJoe Tien; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Genes & Proteins of Urothelial-ECM InteractionRobert Hurst; Fiscal Year: 2009..The "deliverables" will be sets of genes and proteins subjected to several levels of verification for their role in aiding studies of epithelial-stromal interactions in normal and malignant tissues. ..
- Cytokine regulation of glial reactivityGareth John; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Analysis of COX-2 as a therapeutic target in acquired epilepsy (epileptogenesis)JAMES HEWETT; Fiscal Year: 2008..Although there are numerous drugs available to effectively treat established epilepsy (i.e. anti-epileptic drugs), drugs that prevent epilepsy development (i.e. anti-epileptogenic drugs) remain to be identified. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MOLECULAR NETWORKS THAT COORDINATE DIFFERENTIATIONWilliam Loomis; Fiscal Year: 2003..Together these studies will help to establish a signal transduction pathway that can serve as a model for studies in other systems. ..
- Fetal & Adolescent Nicotine Effects on CNS 5HT SystemsTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of Neuronal Growth Cone GuidanceDaniel Suter; Fiscal Year: 2009..Thus, they will have an impact on our understanding of axon guidance and nerve regeneration, as well as of tumor cell metastasis, another motile process, in which Src has been implicated. ..
- Soft Tissue Biomechanical Behavior During Acupuncture in Low Back PainHelene M Langevin; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Microfluidic Tissue Engineering of Small Airway InjuriesShuichi Takayama; Fiscal Year: 2010..Also, evaluate the effect of surfactant as a countermeasure to reduce cellular injuries. ..
- BIOMECHANICAL EFFECT OF ACUPUNCTURE NEEDLINGHELENE LANGEVIN; Fiscal Year: 2001..This will contribute to the fundamental understanding of acupuncture therapy and may lead to improvements in treatments. ..
- ECM Regulation by Estrogen in ARMDSharon Elliot; Fiscal Year: 2006..Conversely, we expect that estrogen's antioxidant action on the cell membrane will diminish MPO-induced blebbing and that activation of estrogen receptors will modify matrix molecule dysregulation. ..
- Control of Somatic Stem Cell Proliferation by Oct4Christopher Lengner; Fiscal Year: 2008..This proposal will delineate molecular mechanisms that can potentially be manipulated to enhance regenerative medicine. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cardiac Inflammation in Resuscitated Hemorrhagic ShockDouglas Mann; Fiscal Year: 2008..Taken together, Specific Aims 1-4 should provide definitive new information regarding the mechanisms of activation, as well as the role of the innate immune system in resuscitated hemorrhagic shock. ..
- Training in Biomolecular and Tissue EngineeringFarshid Guilak; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also take advantage of several long-standing and successful initiatives at Duke University to enhance the recruitment of underrepresented minorities as part of this post-doctoral training program. ..
- 3D Culture of mES Cells in Four-Compartment BioreactorsJOERG GERLACH; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Magnetic quantum dots for active sensing of the nuclear envelopeDenis Wirtz; Fiscal Year: 2008..3d. We will investigate whether and how the actin and microtubule networks affect the mechanical properties of the NE. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 2008 Musculoskeletal Biology and Bioengineering Gordon Research ConferenceFarshid Guilak; Fiscal Year: 2008..The meeting will consist of 9 separate sessions, consisting of invited speakers and selected attendees at various levels of career development. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 3D Woven Scaffolds for Tissue EngineeringFarshid Guilak; Fiscal Year: 2003..An improved level of biomechanical function will increase the level of success in the engineered repair of various tissues of the musculoskeletal system as well as other organ systems of the body. ..
- Myocardial Regeneration with Adult Stem CellsYoung Sup Yoon; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Role of Angiogenesis and Endothelial Progenitor Cells in Diabetic Heart FailureYoung Sup Yoon; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Porous Silicon Particles for Oral Drug DeliveryPeter Swaan; Fiscal Year: 2007..This may allow for the delivery of multiple therapeutic macromolecules in a more controlled and targeted manner to the GI tract. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- High-Throughput Assay for the Intestinal Peptide TransporterPeter Swaan; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will aid in our understanding of the structural features that govern peptide and drug transport via this system and will significantly support studies aiming to target this transporter. ..
- Epithelial Transport and Function of RiboflavinPeter Swaan; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will yield new and important information regarding a complex epithelial transport mechanism and provide important new insights in its structural specificity and function. ..
- LIPID/LIPOPROTEIN METABOLISM AND CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASESKAFAIT MALIK; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is also our intention to provide postdoctoral trainees some experience in grant writing. ..
- Role of adenosine A3 receptor in suppressing prostate cancerVickram Ramkumar; Fiscal Year: 2008..Therefore, these goals will form the specific aims of the current grant proposal. We believe that this study could uncover a novel method of treating prostate cancer metastasis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regenerative Healing Using ECM Based ScaffoldsIoannis Yannas; Fiscal Year: 2009..An attempt will be made to elucidate the mechanism of contraction blocking during healing of injured nerves, and to find out an association, if any, with induced regeneration. ..