Genomes and Genes
Summary: The measurement of subcutaneous fat located directly beneath the skin by grasping a fold of skin and subcutaneous fat between the thumb and forefinger and pulling it away from the underlying muscle tissue. The thickness of the double layer of skin and subcutaneous tissue is then read with a caliper. The five most frequently measured sites are the upper arm, below the scapula, above the hip bone, the abdomen, and the thigh. Its application is the determination of relative fatness, of changes in physical conditioning programs, and of the percentage of body fat in desirable body weight. (From McArdle, et al., Exercise Physiology, 2d ed, p496-8)
Publications242 found, 100 shown here
- Body fat measurement in adolescents: comparison of skinfold thickness equations with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometryG Rodriguez
Department of Pediatrics, University of Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:1158-66. 2005To compare the most commonly used equations to predict body fatness from skinfold thickness, in male and female adolescents, with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) as a reference method of fatness measurement.
- Anthropometric measurement error and the assessment of nutritional statusS J Ulijaszek
Institute of Biological Anthropology, University of Oxford, UK
Br J Nutr 82:165-77. 1999..Anthropometry is an important tool for nutritional assessment, and the techniques reported here should allow increased precision of measurement, and improved interpretation of anthropometric data...
- The validity of BMI as an indicator of body fatness and risk among childrenDavid S Freedman
Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Hwy, Mailstop K 26, Atlanta, GA 30341 3717, USA
Pediatrics 124:S23-34. 2009..We also examine whether these associations differ according to race/ethnicity and whether skinfold and circumference measurements provide additional information on body fatness or health risks...
- Measuring body compositionJ C K Wells
MRC Childhood Nutrition Centre, Institute of Child Health, London WC1, UK
Arch Dis Child 91:612-7. 2006..Simple techniques are adequate for many purposes, and simple regional data may often be of greater value than "whole body" values obtained by more sophisticated approaches...
- Challenges of accurately measuring and using BMI and other indicators of obesity in childrenJohn H Himes
University of Minnesota, School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, 1300 S 2nd St, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Pediatrics 124:S3-22. 2009..These alternative measures of fatness remain important for research and perhaps in some specialized screening situations that include a specific focus on risk factors for cardiovascular or diabetic disease...
- Techniques of body composition assessment: a review of laboratory and field methodsD R Wagner
Exercise and Sports Science Department, Vanguard University of Southern California, USA
Res Q Exerc Sport 70:135-49. 1999..With this knowledge, the clinician and researcher should be able to make an informed decision regarding the most appropriate measurement device for their body composition assessments...
- Predictive associations between alternative measures of childhood adiposity and adult cardio-metabolic healthM D Schmidt
Department of Kinesiology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 35:38-45. 2011..To estimate associations between alternative measures of childhood adiposity and indicators of cardio-metabolic health in adulthood, both unadjusted and adjusted for changes in adiposity from childhood to adulthood...
- Physical activity as a predictor of adolescent body fatness: a systematic reviewFelipe Fossati Reichert
Postgraduate Program in Epidemiology, Federal University of Pelotas, Pelotas, Brazil
Sports Med 39:279-94. 2009..Further studies are needed in order to generate evidence-based recommendations for the quantity and quality of adolescent physical activity required to prevent or treat adolescent obesity...
- Measuring abdominal adiposity in 6 to 7-year-old childrenE T Liem
Department of Pediatrics, Beatrix Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Room X4 301, PO Box 30 001, Hanzeplein 1, Groningen 9700 RB, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Nutr 63:835-41. 2009..The aim of this study was to estimate abdominal fat using anthropometry, dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) and ultrasound, and compare these estimates with the amounts of IAAT and SAAT determined by CT in 6 to 7-year-old children...
- Prediction of body fat in 12-y-old African American and white children: evaluation of methodsGeorge A Bray
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 76:980-90. 2002..The prevalence of obesity is increasing in children. Validation of methods of predicting fatness in African American and white children could help to identify children at high risk...
- Midarm muscle circumference, physical performance and mortality: results from the aging and longevity study in the Sirente geographic area (ilSIRENTE study)Francesco Landi
Department of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Roma, Italy
Clin Nutr 29:441-7. 2010..We evaluated the relationship between midarm muscle circumference (MAMC) and physical performance, muscle strength, functional status and survival in persons aged 80 years or older...
- Intra- and inter-judge reliabilities in measuring the skin-fold thicknesses of ultra runners under field conditionsBeat Knechtle
Gesundheitszentrum St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland
Percept Mot Skills 111:105-6. 2010..Inter- and intra-judge reliabilities of skinfold measures were investigated in a sample of 27 men and 11 women ultramarathon runners. Two physicians had agreement higher than 90% in field measurements before an ultramarathon race...
- Anthropometry and body composition of south Indian babies at birthS Muthayya
Institute of Population Health and Clinical Research, St John s National Academy of Health Sciences, Bangalore 560 034, India
Public Health Nutr 9:896-903. 2006..To assess the consequences on body composition of increasing birth weight in Indian babies in relation to reported values in Western babies, and to assess the relationship between maternal and neonatal anthropometry and body composition...
- Predictors of inflammation in U.S. children aged 3-16 yearsJennifer Beam Dowd
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Hunter College, School of Public Health, City University of New York, New York, New York 10010, USA
Am J Prev Med 39:314-20. 2010..Little is known about the correlates of low-grade inflammation in U.S. children...
- Validation of foot-to-foot bioelectrical impedance analysis with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in the assessment of body composition in young children: the EarlyBird cohortJoanne Hosking
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Peninsula Medical School, Plymouth Campus, Plymouth, UK
Br J Nutr 96:1163-8. 2006..Therefore, BIA may be useful for large-scale studies but is not interchangeable with DEXA and should be interpreted with caution in individuals...
- Validity and reliability of skinfold measurement in assessing body fatness of Chinese childrenDaniel Chi shing Yeung
Department of Kinesiology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, USA
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 19:350-7. 2010..Validity and reliability of skinfold equations in estimating body fat in Chinese Children has not been documented...
- Predicting total fat mass from skinfold thicknesses in Japanese prepubertal children: a cross-sectional and longitudinal validationTaishi Midorikawa
College of Health and Welfare, J F Oberlin University, Tokiwamachi, Machida, Tokyo, Japan
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 20:426-31. 2011The present study was performed to develop regression based prediction equations for fat mass from skinfold thickness in Japanese children, and to investigate the cross-sectional and longitudinal validity of these equations...
- Do skinfold measurements provide additional information to body mass index in the assessment of body fatness among children and adolescents?Zuguo Mei
Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mailstop K 25, 4770 Buford Hwy, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
Pediatrics 119:e1306-13. 2007....
- Skinfold prediction equation for athletes developed using a four-component modelEllen M Evans
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 61801, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 37:2006-11. 2005..Skinfold (SKF) equations exist to predict percent body fat (%BF) in athletes; however, none have been derived from multicomponent model reference measures...
- Anthropometric equation for estimation of appendicular skeletal muscle mass in Chinese adultsXu Wen
Department of Physical Education, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 20:551-6. 2011..The results suggested that the developed equations had satisfactory prediction qualities, and could be applied as a practical method of quantifying ASM in Chinese adults...
- Validity of leg-to-leg bioelectrical impedance measurement in malesA Cable
Department of Health and Exercise Science, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC 28608, USA
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 41:411-4. 2001..2+/-7.7 kg with BIA (r=0.92, p<0.001; SEE 3.5 kg). CONCLUSIONS: These data indicate that the leg-to-leg bioelectrical impedance system accurately assesses FFM in a heterogenous group of males when compared to underwater weighing...
- Prediction equations for body-fat percentage in Indian infants and young children using skinfold thickness and mid-arm circumferenceBandana Sen
Society for Applied Studies, CF 198, Salt Lake City, Sector I, Kolkata 700 064, India
J Health Popul Nutr 28:221-9. 2010..of the study was to develop prediction equations for fat-mass percentage in infants in India based on skinfold thickness, mid-arm circumference, and age...
- Evaluation of the novel Tanita body-fat analyser to measure body composition by comparison with a four-compartment modelS A Jebb
MRC Human Nutrition Research, Cambridge, UK
Br J Nutr 83:115-22. 2000..3% for men and 3.1% for women. This demonstrates that the practical simplicity of the novel Tanita method is not associated with a clinically significant decrement in performance relative to a traditional impedance device...
- Adolescent skinfold thickness is a better predictor of high body fatness in adults than is body mass index: the Amsterdam Growth and Health Longitudinal StudyAstrid C J Nooyens
Institute of Health Sciences, Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 85:1533-9. 2007Body mass index (BMI) during adolescence is predictive of BMI at adult age. However, BMI cannot distinguish between lean and fat body mass. Skinfold thickness may be a better predictor of body fatness.
- Cross-sectional reference values for mid-upper arm circumference, triceps skinfold thickness and arm fat area of Turkish children and adolescentsAhmet Ozturk
Department of Biostatistics, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Int J Food Sci Nutr 60:267-81. 2009..study was to establish cross-sectional reference values for the mid-upper arm circumference (MUAC), triceps skinfold thickness (TSF) and arm fat area (AFA) of Turkish children and adolescents...
- Estimating total body fat using a skinfold prediction equation in Brazilian childrenDaniel J Hoffman
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Ann Hum Biol 39:156-60. 2012..The double burden of obesity and underweight is increasing in developing countries and simple methods for the assessment of fat mass in children are needed...
- Dose-response associations between screen time and overweight among youthClare Hume
Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research, Deakin University, Burwood Victoria, Australia
Int J Pediatr Obes 4:61-4. 2009..To examine dose-response associations between screen time and overweight, independent of physical activity and dietary intake...
- Relation of circumferences and skinfold thicknesses to lipid and insulin concentrations in children and adolescents: the Bogalusa Heart StudyD S Freedman
Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341 3717, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 69:308-17. 1999..Although body fat patterning has been related to adverse health outcomes in adults, its importance in children and adolescents is less certain...
- Growth of left ventricular mass in African American and European American youthCaroline Dekkers
Georgia Prevention Institute, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
Hypertension 39:943-51. 2002..Apart from these ethnicity and gender effects, individual differences in cardiac growth can mainly be explained by body growth and increases in general adiposity...
- Is restrained eating a risk factor for weight gain in a general population?Blandine de Lauzon-Guillain
INSERM U258, IFR69, Villejuif, France
Am J Clin Nutr 83:132-8. 2006..In modern societies characterized by abundant and accessible foods, restrained eating may become an adaptive behavior to limit weight gain...
- Energy intake, not energy output, is a determinant of body size in infantsA J Stunkard
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 2648, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 69:524-30. 1999..It has been proposed that the primary determinants of body weight at 1 y of age are genetic background, as represented by parental obesity, and low total energy expenditure...
- The relationship between physical fitness and physical activity during adolescence and cardiovascular disease risk factors at adult age. The Amsterdam Growth and Health Longitudinal StudyJ W R Twisk
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, VU University Medical Centre VUmc, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Sports Med 23:S8-14. 2002..e. inversely to the sum of four skinfolds, waist circumference and to total serum cholesterol). Physical activity during adolescence was not related to a healthy CVD risk profile at the age of 32 years...
- 'Skin roll' ('pinch and roll') test: skinfold thickness and tendernessD Bansevicius
Department of Neurology, Trondheim, University Hospital, Arendal, Norway
Headache 37:281-5. 1997b>Skinfold thickness and tenderness are variables that have been used in the diagnosis of headaches of cervical origin. In order to assess these variables in actual patients, the normal limits have to be properly known...
- Body fat in neonates and young infants: validation of skinfold thickness versus dual-energy X-ray absorptiometryHansjörg Rudolf Schmelzle
Division of Neonatology, University Children s Hospital, Greifswald, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 76:1096-100. 2002There is an interest in noninvasive measurement of body fat in newborns and infants. Measurement of skinfold thickness (SFT) is a simple clinical method.
- Truncal and abdominal fat as determinants of high triglycerides and low HDL-cholesterol in adolescentsBeatriz Tresaco
Departamento de Pediatria, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:1086-91. 2009..These findings highlight the deleterious effect of both truncal and abdominal fat depots on the lipid profile already from the first decades of life...
- Estimation of percentage body fat in 6- to 13-year-old children by skinfold thickness, body mass index and waist circumferenceSusi Kriemler
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine at Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Br J Nutr 104:1565-72. 2010....
- Prediction of total body muscle mass from simple anthropometric measurements in young Indian malesRebecca Kuriyan
Division of Nutrition, Department of Physiology, St John s National Academy of Health Sciences, Bangalore, India
Indian J Med Res 119:121-8. 2004..The objective of this study was to derive predictive equations for muscle mass from simple anthropometric measurements such as mid-arm circumference (MAC) and triceps skinfolds in a young Indian male population...
- Development and validation of skinfold-thickness prediction equations with a 4-compartment modelMatthew J Peterson
VA Medical Center, Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 77:1186-91. 2003..Skinfold-thickness measurements are commonly obtained for the indirect assessment of body composition...
- The prediction of body fatness by BMI and skinfold thicknesses among children and adolescentsDavid S Freedman
Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention K 26, Atlanta, Georgia
Ann Hum Biol 34:183-94. 2007..It has been suggested that skinfold thicknesses be measured among overweight children to confirm the presence of excess adiposity...
- Comparison of bioelectrical impedance with skinfold thickness and X-ray absorptiometry to measure body composition in HIV-infected with lipodistrophyH Siqueira Vassimon
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Nutr Hosp 26:458-64. 2011..Human immunodeficiency vírus (HIV)-associated lipodystrophy syndrome (LS) includes body composition and metabolic alterations. Lack of validated criteria and tools make difficult to evaluate body composition in this group...
- The importance of the measurement of the circumference of arm, arm muscle area and skinfold thickness during pubertyOrhan Derman
Adolescent Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Adolesc Med Health 14:193-7. 2002..Besides, anthropometric techniques (arm muscle area, mid-arm circumference and the triceps skinfold thickness), which are the most practical, simple, inexpensive and noninvasive, x-ray, ultrasound scanning, computed ..
- Use of anthropometric variables to predict relative body fat determined by a four-compartment body composition modelG E van der Ploeg
Exercise Physiology Laboratory, School of Education, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:1009-16. 2003..To generate equations for the prediction of percent body fat (% BF) via a four-compartment criterion body composition model from anthropometric variables and age...
- The relation of BMI and skinfold thicknesses to risk factors among young and middle-aged adults: the Bogalusa Heart StudyDavid S Freedman
Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway, Atlanta GA 30341 3724, USA
Ann Hum Biol 37:726-37. 2010..We examine whether the triceps and subscapular skinfold thicknesses are more strongly related to adult levels of lipids, fasting insulin and blood pressure than BMI...
- Accuracy of anthropometric measurements in estimating fat mass in individuals with 21-hydroxylase deficiencyEzequiel Moreira Gonçalves
Growth and Body Composition Laboratory, Center for Investigation in Pediatrics CIPED, Faculty of Medical Sciences FCM, State University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Nutrition 28:984-90. 2012....
- Effect of birth size and proportionality on BMI and skinfold thickness in early adolescence: prospective birth cohort studyC L Araújo
Post Graduate Program in Epidemiology, Federal University of Pelotas, Pelotas, RS, Brazil
Eur J Clin Nutr 63:634-9. 2009To assess the effect of birth weight, length and ponderal index at birth on body mass index (BMI) and skinfold thickness in early adolescence.
- Genetic and environmental determination of tracking in subcutaneous fat distribution during adolescenceMaarten W Peeters
Department of Biomedical Kinesiology, Faculty of Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Sciences Epidemiology Unit, Strangeways Research Laboratory, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 86:652-60. 2007..The distribution of fat and adipose tissue is an important predictor of disease risk. Variation in fat distribution during adolescence is correlated with fat distribution in adulthood...
- Anthropometric determinants of a clustering of lipid-related metabolic risk factors in overweight and non-overweight adolescents--influence of cardiorespiratory fitness. The Avena studyJose L Mesa
Department of Medical Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
Ann Nutr Metab 50:519-27. 2006....
- Agreement in body fat estimates between a hand-held bioelectrical impedance analyzer and skinfold thicknesses in African American and Caucasian adolescentsJames C Hannon
Department of Exercise and Sport Science, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112, USA
Res Q Exerc Sport 77:519-26. 2006
- Comparison of bipolar and tetrapolar impedance techniques for assessing fat massManuela Dittmar
Institute of Anthropology, Department of Biology, University of Mainz, 55099 Mainz, Germany
Am J Hum Biol 16:593-7. 2004..Therefore, the whole body impedance method is preferred over the HH and FF techniques due to the interactions with sex and age...
- Sagittal abdominal diameter to triceps skinfold thickness ratio: a novel anthropometric index to predict premature coronary atherosclerosisAli Vasheghani-Farahani
Endocrine and Metabolism Research Center EMRC, Obesity and Food group set, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Atherosclerosis 227:329-33. 2013..the accuracy of a novel index defined by us, as a ratio of Sagittal abdominal diameter (SAD) and triceps skinfold thickness (TSF) with other indices of adiposity for prediction of presence, severity and extension of premature ..
- Skinfold thickness and blood pressure across C-344T polymorphism of CYP11B2 geneEdoardo Casiglia
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padova, and Department of Cardiology, General Hospital of Thiene Schio, Thiene Schio, Italy
J Hypertens 25:1828-33. 2007..To ascertain whether body adiposity is associated with the C-344T polymorphism of the CYP11B2 gene codifying for aldosterone synthase...
- Accuracy of prediction equations to assess percentage of body fat in children and adolescents with Down syndrome compared to air displacement plethysmographyA González-Agüero
GENUD Growth, Exercise, NUtrition and Development Research Group, Faculty of Health and Sport Sciences, Huesca, University of Zaragoza, Spain
Res Dev Disabil 32:1764-9. 2011..Johnston et al., Brook and Slaughter et al.) from skinfold thickness compared to air displacement plethysmography (ADP) in children and adolescents with Down syndrome (DS)...
- Estimating body fat in African American and white adolescent girls: a comparison of skinfold-thickness equations with a 4-compartment criterion modelW W Wong
US Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service Children s Nutrition Research Center and Texas Children s Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston 77030, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 72:348-54. 2000..Although skinfold-thickness equations are widely used to estimate body fat, their accuracy in a biracial population of female adolescents has not been established...
- Measuring body composition and energy expenditure in children with severe neurologic impairment and intellectual disabilityRob Rieken
Intellectual Disability Medicine, Department of General Practice, Rotterdam, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 94:759-66. 2011..Accurate prediction equations for estimating body composition and total energy expenditure (TEE) in children with severe neurologic impairment and intellectual disability are currently lacking...
- The relationship between skinfold thickness and body mass index in North European Caucasian and East Asian women with anorexia nervosa: implications for diagnosis and managementNerissa L Soh
Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services, Northern Sydney Central Coast Area Health Service, New South Wales, Australia
Eur Eat Disord Rev 17:31-9. 2009To investigate the relationship between skinfold thickness and body mass index (BMI) in North European Caucasian and East Asian young women with and without anorexia nervosa (AN) in two countries.
- The assessment of the amount of fat in the human body from measurements of skinfold thickness. 1967J V G A Durnin
Br J Nutr 89:147-55. 2003
- Motor coordination as predictor of physical activity in childhoodV P Lopes
Department of Sports Science, Research Center in Sports Sciences, Health Sciences and Human Development CIDESD, Bragança, Portugal
Scand J Med Sci Sports 21:663-9. 2011..58 and 2.47 units each year, respectively, for children with low and average levels of initial MC. In conclusion MC is an important predictor of PA in children 6-10 years of age...
- Differences in skinfold thicknesses and fat distribution among top-class runnersA Legaz Arrese
Faculty of Sciences of Physical Activity and Sport, University of Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 45:512-7. 2005..The purpose of this research was to determine skinfolds values in male and female top-class runners who competed in different distances in order to identify the association of sex and event with fatness and distribution of subcutaneous fat...
- Prevalence of overweight among Baltimore City schoolchildren and its associations with nutrition and physical activityMegan L Jehn
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:989-93. 2006..To determine the prevalence of overweight and at-risk-for-overweight in schoolchildren from Baltimore City...
- Value of body mass index in the detection of severe malnutrition: influence of the pathology and changes in anthropometric parametersB Campillo
Service de Rééducation Digestive, Hopital Albert Chenevier, 40 rue de Mesly, 94010 Creteil Cedex, France
Clin Nutr 23:551-9. 2004..We have estimated the prevalence of severe malnutrition in groups of patients hospitalized for different medical causes and assessed the sensitivity of BMI in the diagnosis of severe malnutrition...
- Upper body skinfold thickness is related to race performance in male Ironman triathletesB Knechtle
Gesundheitszentrum, St Gallen, Switzerland
Int J Sports Med 32:20-7. 2011We investigated the association between skinfold thickness and race performance in male and female Ironman triathletes...
- Truncal adiposity is present at birth and in early childhood in South Indian childrenG V Krishnaveni
C S I Holdsworth Memorial Hospital, Mandi Mohalla, Mysore 570 021, India
Indian Pediatr 42:527-38. 2005..Studies in Pune, India showed that this phenotype is present at birth. We aimed to determine if south Indian babies have a 'thin-fat' phenotype and if this persists in childhood...
- Neonatal anthropometry: the thin-fat Indian baby. The Pune Maternal Nutrition StudyC S Yajnik
King Edward Memorial Hospital, Rasta Peth, Pune, India
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27:173-80. 2003..To examine body size and fat measurements of babies born in rural India and compare them with white Caucasian babies born in an industrialised country...
- Upper arm circumference is associated with race performance in ultra-endurance runnersB Knechtle
Gesundheitszentrum St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland
Br J Sports Med 42:295-9; discussion 299. 2008..To investigate the association of anthropometric parameters to race performance in ultra-endurance runners in a multistage ultra-endurance run...
- Skinfold thicknesses associated with distance running performance in highly trained runnersAlejandro L Arrese
Facultad en Ciencias de la Actividad Física y el Deporte, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
J Sports Sci 24:69-76. 2006..81, P = 0.005, respectively). The results of this study indicate that skinfold thicknesses in the lower limb are positively associated with running time over several distances, and may be a useful predictor of athletic performance...
- Rapid weight gain during infancy and obesity in young adulthood in a cohort of African AmericansNicolas Stettler
Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 19104, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 77:1374-8. 2003..Obesity is increasing in the United States. Evidence-based prevention is a public health priority and should target well-defined risk factors and critical periods...
- Graded associations between cardiorespiratory fitness, fatness, and blood pressure in children and adolescentsL Klasson-Heggebø
Norwegian School of Sports Sciences, Oslo, Norway
Br J Sports Med 40:25-9; discussion 25-9. 2006..To measure the graded relation between cardiorespiratory fitness and sum of skinfolds, waist circumference, and blood pressure in children and adolescents participating in the European youth heart study...
- Waist circumference and cardiovascular risk factors in prepubertal childrenC Maffeis
Department of Pediatrics, University of Verona, Polyclinic, Verona, Italy
Obes Res 9:179-87. 2001..Few data on the relationship between body-fat distribution and cardiovascular risk factors are available in children, especially before puberty...
- Comparison of methods to assess body fat in non-obese six to seven-year-old childrenCarianne L'Abée
Department of Pediatrics, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Clin Nutr 29:317-22. 2010..No data are available on the estimation of total body fat in non-obese children. The aim of this study is to compare total body fat, assessed by different methods in non-obese children...
- Changes in performance, skinfold thicknesses, and fat patterning after three years of intense athletic conditioning in high level runnersA Legaz
Faculty of Health and Sports Sciences, University of Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Br J Sports Med 39:851-6. 2005..To determine if the changes in specific skinfold sites induced by intense athletic conditioning over a three year period were associated with changes in running performance in high level athletes...
- Insulin-like growth factor I concentrations in infancy predict differential gains in body length and adiposity: the Cambridge Baby Growth StudyKen K Ong
Medical Research Council Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Metabolic Science, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Am J Clin Nutr 90:156-61. 2009..Formula milk-fed infants show faster rates of growth and weight gain than do breastfed infants, and they have higher concentrations of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I)...
- Objectively measured physical activity correlates with indices of insulin resistance in Danish children. The European Youth Heart Study (EYHS)S Brage
Institute of Sport Science and Clinical Biomechanics, University of Southern Denmark, Main Campus, Odense University, Odense, Denmark
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:1503-8. 2004..To explore the association between measures of insulin resistance with objectively assessed physical activity...
- Associations between physical activity, body fat, and insulin resistance (homeostasis model assessment) in adolescents: the European Youth Heart StudyNico S Rizzo
Unit for Preventive Nutrition, Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Novum, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Am J Clin Nutr 87:586-92. 2008..More and better data are needed to understand the action of physical activity (PA) on insulin resistance and the concomitant relation with body fat in adolescence...
- Weight gain in pregnancy, triceps skinfold thickness, and blood pressure in offspringP M Clark
Medical Research Council Environmental Epidemiology Unit, University of Southampton, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Obstet Gynecol 91:103-7. 1998To determine whether women who are poorly nourished in early pregnancy, as determined by triceps skinfold thickness, or who have poor pregnancy weight gain have offspring with higher blood pressure (BP).
- Body mass index and skinfold thickness versus bioimpedance analysis: fat mass prediction in childrenP Pecoraro
Department of Public Health, ASL Napoli 4, Via Dei Mille 1, I 80011, Acerra, Naples, Italy
Acta Diabetol 40:S278-81. 2003..Both tricep skinfold thickness (TST, mm) and body mass index (BMI, kg/m(2)) are indirect, simple methods and easy to perform for assessing ..
- Validation of skinfold thickness and hand-held impedance measurements for estimation of body fat percentage among Singaporean Chinese, Malay and Indian subjectsPaul Deurenberg
University Tor Vergata, Rome
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 11:1-7. 2002..In addition, weight, height, skinfold thickness and segmental impedance (from hand to hand) was measured...
- Subcutaneous fat stores related to weight in full-term neonatesVeronica Luque
University Rovira i Virgili, Paediatrics Unit, C Sant Llorenç 21, Reus, 43201 Spain
Ann Hum Biol 36:88-97. 2009..Subcutaneous fat stores in newborns have been related to weight (W) and skinfolds (SK); both are influenced by gestational age (GA) and there are few studies analysing the association between them...
- Adiposity, physical activity, and physical fitness among children from Aragón, SpainIgnacio Ara
Facultad de Ciencias de la Salud y el Deporte, Departamento de Fisiatría y Enfermería, Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:1918-24. 2007..The main purpose of this study was to determine the relationship between physical activity (PA) levels and adiposity. The secondary purpose was to assess the effect of physical fitness and living area on adiposity...
- Evaluation of body composition using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry, skinfold thickness and bioelectrical impedance analysis in Japanese female college studentsT Kitano
Department of Public Health, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 47:122-5. 2001We compared three methods for evaluating body composition: dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA), skinfold thickness (Skinfolds), and bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA)...
- Comparison of methods to assess change in children's body compositionJane Elberg
Unit on Growth and Obesity, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 80:64-9. 2004..Little is known about how simpler and more available methods to measure change in body fatness compare with criterion methods such as dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) in children...
- Anthropometric and body composition indicators of Bahraini adolescentsAneesa M Al-Sendi
College of Health Science, Ministry of Health, Bahrain
Ann Hum Biol 30:367-79. 2003..Childhood and adolescent obesity tends to extend into adulthood and predisposes the individual to some chronic diseases in later life. Body composition is a good indicator for assessing obesity and nutritional status of people...
- Fad diets and obesity--Part I: Measuring weight in a clinical settingMark A Moyad
University of Michigan Medical Center, Department of Urology, Section of Urology, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Urol Nurs 24:114-9. 2004..mass index (BMI), crude weight, densitometry, dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), lean body mass (LBM), skinfold thickness, and waist-to-hip ratio (WHR)...
- Body fat, fitness and level of everyday physical activity in adolescents and young adults with meningomyeloceleHendrika J G van den Berg-Emons
Rijndam Rehabilitation Center, Netherlands
J Rehabil Med 35:271-5. 2003..The aim of this study was to assess body fat and fitness in this patient group. In addition, we explored whether the level of everyday physical activity is related to body fat and fitness...
- Effects of a controlled trial of a school-based exercise program on the obesity indexes of preschool childrenL Mo-suwan
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Songkhla, Thailand
Am J Clin Nutr 68:1006-11. 1998..6 wk. Weight, height, and triceps skinfold thickness were measured 4 times...
- Empirically derived new equations for calculating body fat percentage based on skinfold thickness and midarm circumference in preschool Indian childrenSaijuddin Shaikh
Society for Applied Studies, Kolkata, India
Am J Hum Biol 16:278-88. 2004..The new equations for measuring %fat based on midarm circumference and skinfold measurements are rapid and accurate for South Asian children and should be useful for prediction of body composition and nutritional survey in field studies...
- Twin study of genetic and environmental influences on adult body size, shape, and compositionK Schousboe
The Danish Twin Registry, Epidemiology, Institute of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:39-48. 2004..To investigate the genetic and environmental influences on adult body size, shape, and composition in women and men, and to assess the impact of age...
- Reference curves for triceps and subscapular skinfold thicknesses in US children and adolescentsO Yaw Addo
Division of Epidemiology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 91:635-42. 2010..Skinfold thicknesses have long been considered important and valid measurements of subcutaneous fat. Nevertheless, there are no current skinfold reference data for US children and adolescents...
- Improved prediction of body fat by measuring skinfold thickness, circumferences, and bone breadthsAda L Garcia
German Institute of Human Nutrition, Potsdam Rehbruecke, Nuthetal, Germany
Obes Res 13:626-34. 2005..To develop improved predictive regression equations for body fat content derived from common anthropometric measurements...
- Assessment and correction of skinfold thickness equations in estimating body fat in children with cerebral palsyMatthew J Gurka
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0717, USA
Dev Med Child Neurol 52:e35-41. 2010..To assess the accuracy of skinfold equations in estimating percentage body fat in children with cerebral palsy (CP), compared with assessment of body fat from dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA)...
- Early programming of body composition and fat distribution in adolescentsIdoya Labayen
Department of Nutrition and Food Science, University of the Basque Country, Vitoria, Spain
J Nutr 136:147-52. 2006..Current body composition was assessed by both skinfold thickness and dual X-ray absorptiometry in 234 adolescents born at term (140 girls and 94 boys), now aged 13-18 y and ..
- Anthropometric characteristics evolution in elite rhythmic gymnastsAlessandra di Cagno
Unit of Sport Sciences, Department of Health Sciences, University Institute of Movement Sciences IUSM, Roma, Italy
Ital J Anat Embryol 113:29-35. 2008..Moreover, higher differences between seniors and juniors of FFM values in 2006 indicated the more intensive training of the second period for seniors...
- Prediction of percentage body fat in rural thai population using simple anthropometric measurementsChatlert Pongchaiyakul
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, 40002 Thailand
Obes Res 13:729-38. 2005..To develop and validate sex-specific equations for predicting percentage body fat (%BF) in rural Thai population, based on BMI and anthropometric measurements...
- Relationship between maternal obesity and infant feeding-interactionsRussell Rising
EMTAC Inc, 514 Santander Ave 5, Coral Gables, FL 33134, USA
Nutr J 4:17. 2005....
- Relationship between fat patterns, physical fitness and blood pressure of rural South African children: Ellisras Longitudinal Growth and Health StudyK D Monyeki
Chronic Disease of Lifestyle Unit, Medical Research Council, Tygerberg, South Africa
J Hum Hypertens 22:311-9. 2008..Longitudinal studies should verify whether changes in waist girth and skinfolds will indicate changes in cardiovascular risk factors during growth...
- [Measurement of body composition in daily practice]L M Gerber
Medizinische Poliklinik, Universitatsspital Zurich
Praxis (Bern 1994) 96:1717-25. 2007..It is obvious that the use of the BIA measurement in daily practice does not help much in the assessment of obesity but more so in the assessment (quantification) of the lean body mass (LBM)...
- Differences in the relationship between BMI and percentage body fat between Japanese and Australian-Caucasian young menMasaharu Kagawa
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia
Br J Nutr 95:1002-7. 2006..Japanese men may therefore require lower BMI cut-off points to identify obese individuals compared with Australian-Caucasian men...
- Comparison of body compositional indices assessed by underwater weighing, bioelectrical impedance and anthropometry in Indonesian adolescent girlsRatih I Isjwara
c o SEAMEO TROPMED Regional Center for Community Nutrition, University of Indonesia, Salemba Raya 6, Jakarta 10430, Indonesia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 16:641-8. 2007..To investigate the accuracy of bioelectric impedance analysis and anthropometry to assess percentage body fat (BF %) against underwater weighing (UW)...
- [Swimming for 12 hours leads to no reduction of adipose subcutaneous tissue--a case study]B Knechtle
Gesundheitszentrum St Gallen
Praxis (Bern 1994) 96:1805-10. 2007..In order to confirm these results obtained in a case study regarding the decrease of skeletal muscle mass with stable fat mass during prolonged swimming exercise, a larger number of athletes would have to be analyzed...
- Body mass index and agreement between bioimpedance and anthropometry estimates of body compartments in anorexia nervosaAntonio Piccoli
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padua, Policlinico IV piano, Via Giustiniani 2, I 35128 Padua, Italy
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 29:148-56. 2005..Both anthropometry and BIA are used for body composition assessment. We evaluated the agreement between their estimates of FFM and FM in extremely lean subjects with anorexia nervosa...
- Indices of changes in adiposity in American Indian childrenTim Lohman
Department of Physiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Prev Med 37:S91-6. 2003..Several body composition methods were compared in intervention and control schools for assessing body composition changes...
- Body build classification for ordinary schoolgirls (aged 7-18 years) and volleyball girls (aged 13-16 years)Helje Kaarma
Centre for Physical Anthropology, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
Anthropol Anz 63:77-92. 2005....
- Impact of adipokines and insulin resistance on progression of prehypertensionCynthia Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2013..enrollment x 2 visits), we will assess obesity (body mass index, BMI, waist circumference, WC, abdominal skinfold thickness, AST), adipokine levels (IL-6, TNF1, PAI-1, adiponectin), CRP, microvascular function, office blood pressure ..
- Impact of a CBPR School Program on Obesity-Related Outcomes in Underserved YouthMICHAEL LEE PRELIP; Fiscal Year: 2012..in Youth), physical fitness via the FitnessGram assessment, measured by body composition (decreased BMI and skinfold thickness), aerobic fitness (one mile run), and muscular strength/endurance (curl-up and pull-up) as well as ..
- Environmental Strategies &Behavior Change to Reduce Overeating in Obese ChildrenThomas N Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2013..group will significantly reduce their BMI over 6-months and reduce their waist circumference, triceps skinfold thickness, systolic and diastolic blood pressures, resting heart rate, meals eaten with TV, daily dietary energy ..
- Clinic, Family &Community Collaboration to Treat Overweight and Obese ChildrenThomas N Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Secondary outcomes include changes to 12 and 24 months, and changes in waist circumference, triceps skinfold thickness, blood pressures, heart rate, fasting lipoprotein levels, glucose and Insulin, hsCRP, physical activity (..
- Metabolic and Nutritional Effects of ART in ChildrenMeera Chhagan; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will measure attained growth (height and weight), body composition (skinfold thickness and bioimpedance assessment), lipodystrophy (clinical features and skinfold ratio), markers of dyslipidemia ..
- OBESITY IN MEXICAN-AMERICAN CHILDRENJACQUELINE BLANK; Fiscal Year: 1992..Obesity will be measured as a continuous variable using the measurements of triceps skinfold thickness and weight for height. age and sex...
- ADIPOSE DISTRIBUTION AND ATHEROSCLEROSISJOHN CROUSE; Fiscal Year: 1992..relate intra-abdominal fat to more conventional measures of fat distribution (waist/hip ratio, subscapular skinfold thickness, etc.) in an attempt to identify strong correlates of intra-abdominal fat that can be more easily measured...
- BIOBEHAVIORAL FACTORS INFLUENCING WEIGHT IN ADOLESCENTSC Taylor; Fiscal Year: 1990..Physiologic measures will include height, body weight, skinfold thickness and Tanner Self-Staging. Biologic measures will include serum cholesterol and somatomedin-C...
- CANCER RISK FACTOR PREVENTION FOR HIGH RISK YOUTHJoel Killen; Fiscal Year: 2000..Assessments of children's height, weight, tricep skinfold thickness, waste and hip circumferences, food preferences, cardiorespiratory fitness and self-reported behavior, ..
- Ethnic Dance & Screen Time Reduction to Prevent Weight Gain in Latina GirlsThomas N Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2010..to controls, girls in the treatment group will significantly reduce their waist circumference, triceps skinfold thickness, systolic and diastolic blood pressures, resting heart rate, television, videotape/DVD and video game use, ..
- SEX STEROIDS, OBESITY AND LIPIDS IN ADOLESCENT FEMALESAnne Lucky; Fiscal Year: 1991..examinations with attention to pubertal staging and anthopometric measurements including weight, stature and skinfold thickness. Along with NGHS blood samples, additional blood will be obtained in years 1, 3, and 5 for measurement of ..
- Early Markers that Presage Obesity in 5-HT2cR KO MiceSUSAN AKANA; Fiscal Year: 2004..is defined by BMI, bioimpedance, or anthromorphic measures of waist circumference, waist-hip ratio or skinfold thickness, it is clear that obesity is linked with diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular disease, hyperlipidemia, and ..
- CHILDHOOD NUTRITION, PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, AND CV HEALTHJane Kotchen; Fiscal Year: 1990..Standardized measurements of height, weight, and skinfold thickness will be taken...
- Trends in blood pressure in relation to obesityRebecca Din Dzietham; Fiscal Year: 2005..or partially explained by obesity, as assessed by body-mass-index, the ratio of triceps over subscapular skinfold thickness, and percent body fat. 3...
- INNOVATIVE OBESITY PREVENTION FOR AFRICAN-AMERICAN GIRLSThomas Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2006..to controls, girls in the treatment group will significantly reduce their waist circumference, triceps skinfold thickness, resting blood pressures, resting heart rate, fasting insulin, total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, ..
- DIETARY CONTROL AND PREVENTION OF HYPERTENSIONRICHARD GILLUM; Fiscal Year: 1980..be made during the five-month intervention period with caloric and sodium intake assessed by body weight, skinfold thickness and 24-hour urine collection and these related to random zero clinic blood pressure measurements...
- Family-Centered Diabetes ProjectCarla Herman; Fiscal Year: 2006..post intervention: improved physical fitness measured by predicted VO2 peak, decreased body fat measured by skinfold thickness, decreased body weight, and decreased insulin resistance using the HOMA model...
- TRIAL OF ACTIVITY FOR ADOLESCENT GIRLS (TAAG)Timothy Lohman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The team brings expertise in PA program design, PA and fitness assessment, formative assessment, behavior theory and curriculum development, intervention delivery, process evaluation, and data management. ..
- Effect of Health on Education & Work in Filipino YouthLinda Adair; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- DIETARY OBESITYGeorge Bray; Fiscal Year: 2007..We now propose these well founded, important and exciting studies which will provide critical new insights into anatomical, physiological and molecular mechanisms by which high levels of dietary fat induce obesity. ..
- Prenatal Nutrition and Adverse Birth Outcomes in HIV-Infected Women in MalawiLinda Adair; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Obesity development and CVD risk factor clustering in Filipino women & offspringLinda Adair; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- MESA Family Study - Columbia University Field CenterSteven Shea; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Metabolic Syndrome in Childhood Cancer SurvivorsJulia Steinberger; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- ADOLESCENT RISK FACTORS AND YOUNG ADULT CARDIAC RISKJulia Steinberger; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Weight Loss and CVD Risk FactorsJune Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Increasing youth physical activity: neighborhood environmen influencesJAMES ROEMMICH; Fiscal Year: 2009..We hypothesize that there will be a main effect of reduction in access to sedentary behaviors on energy and fat intake and percent overweight. ..
- The Prevalence of two eating disordersAlbert Stunkard; Fiscal Year: 2003..This information will be gathered upon subjects' entry into the Look AHEAD trial and again at six months and one year into treatment to assess the stability of the diagnosis. ..
- Epidemiology of Glycemia Inflammation & CognitionRACHEL WHITMER; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- PROP SENSITIVITY AND OBESITY AMONG ETHNIC CHILDRENTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2008..Understanding how PROP sensitivity relates to obesity and food intake could provide an easily determined stratifying variable to which dietary interventions could be tailored. ..
- LEUKOTRIENE POLYMORPHISMS & MONTELUKAST RESPONSEJohn Lima; Fiscal Year: 2003..This information may lead to individualization of asthma medications based on the genetic make-up of the patient. ..
- PROGRAMMING GLUCOCORTICOID SECRETION DURING FETAL LIFEDavid Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2003..g. obesity reduction). ..
- Soy Isoflavone Supplementation and Mammographic Density in Postmenopausal WomenWilliam Wong; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TEEN TOBACCO USE IN A BIRTH COHORT & PRENATAL EFFECTSMARIE CORNELIUS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Also, with further physical and CNS maturation in adolescence, we can assess whether effects of PTE on growth, cognitive, neuropsychological, and behavioral outcomes are maintained and whether new deficits occur with maturation. ..
- CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF HUMAN OBESITYAlbert Stunkard; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our ultimate objective is to identify behaviors that contribute to adiposity and that might be modified in programs of prevention and treatment. ..
- Obesity and MortalityDavid Allison; Fiscal Year: 2009..Measuring obesity as body fatness and fat distribution instead of just using BMI should provide a more solid basis for public health and clinical recommendations by focusing on the more relevant variables of body fatness. ..
- A new device for metabolic monitoring in infantsRussell Rising; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Maternal vitamin D, adiposity in early life, and risk of childhood asthma.Matthew W Gillman; Fiscal Year: 2010..This work also brings together a multidisciplinary research team with a proven track record of collaboration and expertise in nutritional, respiratory, and pediatric epidemiology. ..
- NUTRITIONAL STATUS OF HIV INFECTED INJECTION DRUG USERSAlice Tang; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results from this observational study may help to guide the design of more effective interventions of antioxidant supplementation in the era of PI's. ..
- Phthalate Exposure and Pregnancy OutcomeT Peter Stein; Fiscal Year: 2010..The findings will have ramifications for public health, for the packaging trade and for the chemical industry. ..
- The Genetics of Infant Growth and Later ObesityEllen W Demerath; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Home Fruit,Juice and Vegetable AvailabilityTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2002..The extent to which this research enhances the validity and reliability of measurement, future research on correlates will be more successful. ..
- OBESITY PREV AMONG PREPUBERTAL AFRICAN AMERICAN GIRLSTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2002..This will be the first obesity prevention project to employ a month-long summer camp, web technology, and sophisticated biological measures to assess factors predictive of body composition change. ..
- Body Weight, Adiposity, Energetics and LongevityDavid Allison; Fiscal Year: 2007..This 2-day meeting will bring together expert scientists from diverse disciplines to explore unanswered questions about these interactions and to introduce novel thoughts for future research. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- WHO MULTICENTER GROWTH REFERENCE STUDY: U.S. SITEKathryn Dewey; Fiscal Year: 2002..Anthropometry will include child weight, length, head and arm circumferences, and triceps and subscapular skinfold thickness, and parents' weight and height...
- Soy Isoflavones on NO Production in Postmenopausal WomenWilliam Wong; Fiscal Year: 2003..3 % pool/h in NO production, 0.2 mmol/d in urinary nitrate excretion, 1 mmHg/mL/min in arterial compliance, 3 mL.min-1.100 mL forearm-1 in forearm bloodflow, and8 mmHg in diastolic blood pressure. ..
- STATISTICAL GENETICS FOR OBESITY & NUTRITION RESEARCHERSDavid Allison; Fiscal Year: 2004..At each course, lectures will be supplemented with extensive discussion sessions, handouts, presentation of worked examples, and interactive demonstrations of statistical genetic data analyses. ..
- NHLBI FAMILY BLOOD PRESSURE PROGRAM-HYPERGEN-MPLS FCJames Pankow; Fiscal Year: 2004..The resulting synthesis of ideas and amassed data permits rigorous hypothesis testing not otherwise possible and will hasten understanding of the previously elusive genetic variation responsible for disease risk. ..
- PHARMACOGENETICS OF ASTHMA MONOTHERAPYJohn Lima; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this pharmacogenetic study may facilitate the optimal selection of monotherapy in asthma. ..
- Causal Effects of Schooling on Adult and Child HealthJERE BEHRMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Increasing physical activity of sedentary youthJAMES ROEMMICH; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will yield important information on new ways to increase the physical activity of children. ..
- Type 2 Diabetes Primary Prevention for At Risk GirlsThomas Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2005..In-home/school-based measures of height, weight, waist circumference, triceps skinfold thickness, blood pressure, resting heart rate, and self-reports of physical activity and sedentary behaviors will be ..
- International Congress--Origins of Health and DiseaseMatthew Gillman; Fiscal Year: 2005..For trainees and young investigators, the program will include a welcome reception/awards ceremony, meet-the-professor luncheon roundtables, reduced registration fees, and travel stipends. ..
- MESA Family StudyJames Pankow; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of a tool to measure food availability in the homeJune Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2007..By accurately measuring what foods are in the home, we can learn how food availability influences diet. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EFFECTS OF EARLY AGGRESSIVE NUTRITION ON VLBW INFANTSSudha Kashyap; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Obesity, Adipocytokines and Cognitive AgingRACHEL WHITMER; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Maternal fatty acids, child obesity, and asthma immunityMatthew Gillman; Fiscal Year: 2007..This work also brings together a multidisciplinary research team with a proven track record of collaboration and expertise in immunology, epidemiology, and biostatistics. ..
- SPORT: Sports to Prevent Obesity Randomized TrialThomas Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2007..The primary outcome is BMI. Secondary outcome measures include waist circumference, triceps skinfold thickness, physical activity monitoring (with accelerometers) and selfesteem...
- Design, Analysis, & Interpretation of RCTs in ObesityDavid Allison; Fiscal Year: 2006..The meeting will take place in December of 2006 and be attended by scientists from academia, government, and industry. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MIDCAREER INVESTIGATOR AWARD IN PATIENT ORIENTED RESEAChristine Wanke; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, this award will support my ability to mentor trainees in these important clinical research questions. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Middle School Prevention of Type 2 DiabetesTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2008..Tests of the proposed hypotheses will identify key variables mediating the intervention effects, and thereby elucidate our understanding of how behavior change programs work. ..