Genomes and Genes
Summary: Postmortem examination of the body.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications401 found, 100 shown here
- Revising the WHO verbal autopsy instrument to facilitate routine cause-of-death monitoringJordana Leitao
Disease Control and Vector Biology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Glob Health Action 6:21518. 2013Verbal autopsy (VA) is a systematic approach for determining causes of death (CoD) in populations without routine medical certification. It has mainly been used in research contexts and involved relatively lengthy interviews...
- TARDBP 3'-UTR variant in autopsy-confirmed frontotemporal lobar degeneration with TDP-43 proteinopathyMichael A Gitcho
Alzheimer s Disease Research Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Acta Neuropathol 118:633-45. 2009..Since that study, brain tissue has become available and provides autopsy confirmation of FTLD-TDP in the proband and ALS in the brother of the bvFTD-ALS family and the neuropathology of ..
- Verbal autopsy: methods in transitionEdward Fottrell
Umeå Centre for Global Health Research, Division of Epidemiology and Global Health, Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, SE 901 85 Umea, Sweden
Epidemiol Rev 32:38-55. 2010..In the absence of routine death registration, verbal autopsy (VA) methods are used to derive probable causes of death...
- Verbal autopsy: current practices and challengesNadia Soleman
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, England
Bull World Health Organ 84:239-45. 2006Cause-of-death data derived from verbal autopsy (VA) are increasingly used for health planning, priority setting, monitoring and evaluation in countries with incomplete or no vital registration systems...
- Validation and application of verbal autopsies in a rural area of South AfricaK Kahn
Health Systems Development Unit, Department of Community Health, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Trop Med Int Health 5:824-31. 2000To validate the causes of death determined with a single verbal autopsy instrument covering all age groups in the Agincourt subdistrict of rural South Africa.
- Strengthening standardised interpretation of verbal autopsy data: the new InterVA-4 toolPeter Byass
Umeå Centre for Global Health Research, Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Glob Health Action 5:1-8. 2012Verbal autopsy (VA) is the only available approach for determining the cause of many deaths, where routine certification is not in place...
- Refining a probabilistic model for interpreting verbal autopsy dataPeter Byass
Umeå International School of Public Health, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Scand J Public Health 34:26-31. 2006To build on the previously reported development of a Bayesian probabilistic model for interpreting verbal autopsy (VA) data, attempting to improve the model's performance in determining cause of death and to reassess it.
- Validity of verbal autopsy procedures for determining cause of death in TanzaniaPhilip W Setel
Department of Epidemiology and MEASURE Evaluation, Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27516, USA
Trop Med Int Health 11:681-96. 2006To validate verbal autopsy (VA) procedures for use in sample vital registration...
- Contribution of bacterial and viral infections to attributable mortality in patients with severe burns: an autopsy seriesLaurie C D'Avignon
Infectious Disease Service, San Antonio Military Medical Center, Brooke Army Medical Center, 3851 Roger Brooke Drive, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA
Burns 36:773-9. 2010..This study is a retrospective review of all autopsy reports from patients with severe thermal burns treated at the US Army Institute of Research (USAISR) burn unit ..
- Autopsy causes of death in HIV-positive individuals in sub-Saharan Africa and correlation with clinical diagnosesJanneke A Cox
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
AIDS Rev 12:183-94. 2010..Pathological autopsies are the gold standard to establish causes of death. In this review we describe the autopsy series performed among HIV-infected individuals in sub-Saharan Africa over the last two decades...
- Verbal autopsy coding: are multiple coders better than one?Rohina Joshi
The George Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Bull World Health Organ 87:51-7. 2009To assess the impact on the reported cause-of-death patterns of a verbal autopsy coding strategy based on a review of every death by multiple coders versus a single coder.
- Moving from data on deaths to public health policy in Agincourt, South Africa: approaches to analysing and understanding verbal autopsy findingsPeter Byass
Umeå Centre for Global Health Research, Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, Sweden
PLoS Med 7:e1000325. 2010..Interviewing family and friends after a death has occurred (a procedure known as verbal autopsy) provides a source of data where deaths otherwise go unregistered; but sound methods for interpreting and ..
- Sample registration of vital events with verbal autopsy: a renewed commitment to measuring and monitoring vital statisticsPhilip W Setel
Department of Epidemiology and MEASURE Evaluation, Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27516, USA
Bull World Health Organ 83:611-7. 2005..Sample vital registration (SVR), when applied in conjunction with validated verbal autopsy procedures and implemented in a nationally representative sample of population clusters represents an affordable, ..
- Post-mortem imaging as an alternative to autopsy in the diagnosis of adult deaths: a validation studyIan S D Roberts
Department of Cellular Pathology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Lancet 379:136-42. 2012Public objection to autopsy has led to a search for minimally invasive alternatives. Imaging has potential, but its accuracy is unknown...
- Cause of death distribution with InterVA and physician coding in a rural area of Burkina FasoHeribert Ramroth
Institute of Public Health, University Hospital of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Trop Med Int Health 17:904-13. 2012To compare the cause of death distribution using the Physician Coded Verbal Autopsy approach versus the Interpreting Verbal Autopsy model, based on information from a French verbal autopsy questionnaire, in rural north-western Burkina ..
- Factors associated with physician agreement on verbal autopsy of over 27000 childhood deaths in IndiaShaun K Morris
Centre for Global Health Research, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e9583. 2010..The large majority of these deaths occur in the developing world. The verbal autopsy (VA) is a tool designed to ascertain cause of death in such settings...
- Androgen-independent prostate cancer is a heterogeneous group of diseases: lessons from a rapid autopsy programRajal B Shah
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Cancer Res 64:9209-16. 2004..Hierarchical clustering of 16 rapid autopsy tumor samples was performed to evaluate the cDNA expression pattern associated with the morphology...
- Assessing a new approach to verbal autopsy interpretation in a rural Ethiopian community: the InterVA modelMesganaw Fantahun
Department of Community Health, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
Bull World Health Organ 84:204-10. 2006Verbal autopsy (VA) -- the interviewing of family members or caregivers about the circumstances of a death after the event -- is an established tool in areas where routine death registration is non-existent or inadequate...
- Epigenetic profiling of somatic tissues from human autopsy specimens identifies tissue- and individual-specific DNA methylation patternsHyang Min Byun
Jane Anne Nohl Division of Hematology, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:4808-17. 2009..05). Finally, we found that the Illumina GoldenGate assay features a large number of probes (265/1505 probes, 17.6%) that contain single-nucleotide polymorphisms, which may interfere with DNA methylation analyses in genome-wide studies...
- Setting international standards for verbal autopsyFrank Baiden
Bull World Health Organ 85:570-1. 2007
- The autopsy: knowledge, attitude, and perceptions of doctors and relatives of the deceasedOlayiwola Abideen Oluwasola
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria
Arch Pathol Lab Med 133:78-82. 2009Despite the crucial role that autopsy plays in the development of the science and practice of medicine, autopsy rates have been declining throughout the world in recent decades.
- Causes of death in hospitalized adults with a premortem diagnosis of tuberculosis: an autopsy studyNeil A Martinson
Johns Hopkins University Center for TB Research, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
AIDS 21:2043-50. 2007..To ascertain the immediate and underlying causes of death in adults who died in hospital with a premortem diagnosis of tuberculosis...
- Impact of employment status and work-related factors on risk of completed suicide. A case-control psychological autopsy studyBarbara Schneider
Department of Psychiatry, Psychosomatic Medicine, and Psychotherapy, Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Psychiatry Res 190:265-70. 2011..factors including work-related factors were assessed by a semi-structured interview using the psychological autopsy method in 163 completed suicide cases and by personal interview in 396 living population-based control persons...
- Metabolomic changes in autopsy-confirmed Alzheimer's diseaseRima Kaddurah-Daouk
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Alzheimers Dement 7:309-17. 2011....
- Autopsy confirmed multiple system atrophy cases: Mayo experience and role of autonomic function testsValeria Iodice
Neurovascular and Autonomic Medicine Unit, Imperial College London, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 83:453-9. 2012..Published autopsy confirmed cases have provided reasonable neurological characterisation but have lacked adequate autonomic ..
- An autopsy study describing causes of death and comparing clinico-pathological findings among hospitalized patients in Kampala, UgandaJanneke A Cox
Department of Clinical Sciences, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
PLoS ONE 7:e33685. 2012..of death in HIV-infected patients in Sub-Saharan Africa is mainly derived from observational cohort and verbal autopsy studies. Autopsy is the gold standard to ascertain cause of death...
- Post-mortem MRI versus conventional autopsy in fetuses and children: a prospective validation studySudhin Thayyil
Centre for Cardiovascular Imaging, Institute of Cardiovascular Science, University College London UCL, London, UK
Lancet 382:223-33. 2013Post-mortem MRI is a potential diagnostic alternative to conventional autopsy, but few large prospective studies have compared its accuracy with that of conventional autopsy...
- Validating the InterVA model to estimate the burden of mortality from verbal autopsy data: a population-based cross-sectional studySebsibe Tadesse
Institute of Public Health, The University of Gondar, Gondar, Ethiopia
PLoS ONE 8:e73463. 2013In countries with incomplete or no vital registration systems, verbal autopsy data are often reviewed by physicians in order to assign the probable cause of death...
- Comparison of the Berlin definition for acute respiratory distress syndrome with autopsyArnaud W Thille
Departamento de Cuidados Intensivos, Hospital Universitario de Getafe, Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Madrid, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 187:761-7. 2013..A revised definition of clinical criteria for acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), the Berlin definition, was recently established to classify patients according to their severity...
- Neuropathology and general autopsy findings in nondemented aged subjectsKurt A Jellinger
Institute of Clinical Neurobiology, Vienna, Austria
Clin Neuropathol 31:87-98. 2012..General autopsy revealed severe systemic and coronary atherosclerosis in 86 and 90%, respectively, renal angioangiolosclerosis in ..
- Pathology and causes of death in a group of 128 predominantly HIV-positive patients in Botswana, 1997-1998N A Ansari
The BOTUSA Project, Gaborone, Botswana
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:55-63. 2002..Little is known about causes of death in countries of southern Africa seriously affected by the HIV/AIDS epidemic...
- Validation of verbal autopsy procedures for adult deaths in ChinaGonghuan Yang
Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, 5, Dong Dan San Tiao, 100005 Beijing, China
Int J Epidemiol 35:741-8. 2006..Information on the leading causes of mortality will continue to rely on verbal autopsy (VA) methods...
- Understanding the unique characteristics of suicide in China: national psychological autopsy studyGong Huan Yang
Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Beijing, China
Biomed Environ Sci 18:379-89. 2005..To compare the characteristics of suicides in the four main demographic groups: urban males, urban females, rural males and rural females in order to help clarify the demographic pattern of suicides in China...
- Post-mortem findings in harbour porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) from the German North and Baltic SeasU Siebert
, , Frankfurter Strasse 96, 35392 Giessen, Germany
J Comp Pathol 124:102-14. 2001..Beta-haemolytic streptococci were considered to be the main infectious agents. Morbillivirus antigen was not detected immunohistochemically...
- Post-mortem MRI-guided sampling of multiple sclerosis brain lesions: increased yield of active demyelinating and (p)reactive lesionsC J De Groot
Department of Pathology, MS Centre for Research and Care MSCRC, Vrije Universiteit Medical Centre and Netherlands Brain Bank, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain 124:1635-45. 2001..The Netherlands Brain Bank organized the rapid autopsy of 29 multiple sclerosis patients. The brain was cut in 1 cm coronal slices...
- Invasive fungal infections in patients with hematologic malignancies in a tertiary care cancer center: an autopsy study over a 15-year period (1989-2003)Georgios Chamilos
Department of Infectious Diseases, Infection Control and Employee Health, Unit 402, Laboratory Medicine, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Haematologica 91:986-9. 2006We evaluated autopsy-proven invasive fungal infections (IFI) in patients with hematologic malignancies over three periods (1989-1993, 1994-1998, and 1999-2003). The autopsy rate declined significantly (67%-34%-26%, respectively p<0...
- Contribution of cerebrovascular disease in autopsy confirmed neurodegenerative disease cases in the National Alzheimer's Coordinating CentreJon B Toledo
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Institute on Ageing, Centre for Neurodegenerative Disease Research, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Brain 136:2697-706. 2013....
- Evaluating the InterVA model for determining AIDS mortality from verbal autopsies in the adult population of Addis AbabaBiruk Tensou
Addis Ababa Mortality Surveillance Project, Faculty of Medicine, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Trop Med Int Health 15:547-53. 2010To evaluate the performance of a verbal autopsy (VA) expert algorithm (the InterVA model) for diagnosing AIDS mortality against a reference standard from hospital records that include HIV serostatus information in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Autopsy series of 68 cases dying before and during the 1918 influenza pandemic peakZong Mei Sheng
Viral Pathogenesis and Evolution Section, Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:16416-21. 2011..These findings have important implications for understanding the origins and evolution of pandemic influenza viruses...
- Prevalence of dementia disorders in the oldest-old: an autopsy studyKurt A Jellinger
Institute of Clinical Neurobiology, Kenyongasse 18, 1070, Vienna, Austria
Acta Neuropathol 119:421-33. 2010..hospital-based study of the relative prevalence of different disorders was performed in 1,110 consecutive autopsy cases of demented elderly in Vienna, Austria (66% females, MMSE <20; mean age 83.3 +/- 5.4 SD years)...
- Metastatic tumors to the stomach: analysis of 54 patients diagnosed at endoscopy and 347 autopsy casesH Kondo
Dept of Endoscopy and Gastrointestinal Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Endoscopy 33:507-10. 2001..Of these, 347 were identified from a series of 6380 autopsy cases; 54 patients were diagnosed endoscopically while alive, 12 of whom had confirmation of the condition at ..
- Molecular imaging with Pittsburgh Compound B confirmed at autopsy: a case reportBrian J Bacskai
MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases, Department of Neurology, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Arch Neurol 64:431-4. 2007..Imaging revealed marked region specific binding of PiB and abnormal fluorodeoxyglucose uptake. Intervention Autopsy was performed 3 months after the PiB scan.
- Changes in rates of autopsy-detected diagnostic errors over time: a systematic reviewKaveh G Shojania
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
JAMA 289:2849-56. 2003Substantial discrepanies exist between clinical diagnoses and findings at autopsy. Autopsy may be used as a tool for quality management to analyze diagnostic discrepanies.
- Verbal autopsy of 80,000 adult deaths in Tamilnadu, South IndiaVendhan Gajalakshmi
Epidemiological Research Center, Chennai, India
BMC Public Health 4:47. 2004..A special verbal autopsy (VA) study of 48,000 adult (aged >or= 25 yrs) deaths in the city of Chennai (urban) during 1995-97 and 32,000 ..
- The worldwide epidemiology of prostate cancer: perspectives from autopsy studiesGabriel P Haas
Department of Urology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Can J Urol 15:3866-71. 2008..Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed non-skin cancer in the United States and the third leading cause of cancer deaths. International trends in the incidence, mortality and prevalence of prostate cancer are assessed...
- Diagnostic validity of fatal cerebral strokes and coronary deaths in mortality statistics: an autopsy studyAnne K Gulsvik
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Oslo University Hospital, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Epidemiol 26:221-8. 2011..was assessed by using mortality data of participants in the Bergen Clinical Blood Pressure Study in Norway and autopsy records from the Gade Institute in Bergen...
- Less invasive autopsy: benefits and limitations of the use of magnetic resonance imaging in the perinatal postmortemMarta C Cohen
Department of Histopathology, Sheffield Children s NHS Foundation Trust, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TH, United Kingdom
Pediatr Dev Pathol 11:1-9. 2008The decline in the postmortem (PM) autopsy rate in the United Kingdom paralleled the change in public perception of this procedure after the organ retention crisis in 2000...
- Causes of mortality by autopsy findings of combat casualties and civilian patients admitted to a burn unitRuben Gomez
Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA
J Am Coll Surg 208:348-54. 2009..Approximately 5% of combat-related injuries include burns. Previous studies have shown similar mortality rates between military and civilian burn casualties; but causes of death were not detailed...
- Successful RNA extraction from various human postmortem tissuesMarielle Heinrich
Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Freiburg, Albertstr 9, 79104, Freiburg, Germany
Int J Legal Med 121:136-42. 2007....
- The conventional autopsy in modern medicineTariq Ayoub
Foundation Year 1 F1, Conquest Hospital Hastings, UK
J R Soc Med 101:177-81. 2008In many countries, including the UK, where relatives' consent is required, clinical autopsy rates (i.e. autopsies other than those required by law) have been declining since the 1950s...
- An autopsy case of pseudoxanthoma elasticum: histochemical characteristicsKatsuaki Miki
Department of Pathology II, Kansai Medical University, Moriguchi, Osaka 570 8506, Japan
Med Mol Morphol 40:172-7. 2007An autopsy case of pseudoxanthoma elasticum is reported. A Japanese female patient complained of yellow papules on the neck, precordium, and axilla, beginning at 54 years of age...
- Declining autopsy rates and suicide misclassification: a cross-national analysis of 35 countriesNestor D Kapusta
Department for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Arch Gen Psychiatry 68:1050-7. 2011..Suicides are prone to misclassification during death ascertainment procedures. This problem has generated frequent criticism of the validity of suicide mortality statistics...
- Factors associated with physician agreement and coding choices of cause of death using verbal autopsies for 1130 maternal deaths in IndiaAnn L Montgomery
Centre for Global Health Research, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e33075. 2012The Indian Sample Registration System (SRS) with verbal autopsy methods provides estimations of cause specific mortality for maternal deaths, where the majority of deaths occur at home, unregistered...
- Causes of death in rural adult population of North India (2002-2007), using verbal autopsy toolC Palanivel
Department of Community Medicine, Indira Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute, Puducherry, India
Indian J Public Health 57:78-83. 2013..Verbal autopsy (VA) is an established tool to ascertain the cause of death in areas where routine registration systems are ..
- Autopsy investigation and Bayesian approach to coronary artery disease in victims of motor-vehicle accidentsAntonio Oliva
Institute of Forensic Medicine, Catholic University, School of Medicine, Rome, Italy
Atherosclerosis 218:28-32. 2011..The aim of this study was to define the prevalence of coronary disease and its possible role in motor-vehicle accidents...
- Pneumocystis colonization is highly prevalent in the autopsied lungs of the general populationCarolina A Ponce
Programa de Microbiología y Micología, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Facultad de Medicina Universidad de Chile, and 2Servicio Médico Legal, Santiago, Chile
Clin Infect Dis 50:347-53. 2010..However, studies searching for Pneumocystis in the autopsied lungs of healthy immunocompetent adults have not met with success...
- Causes of community stillbirths and early neonatal deaths in low-income countries using verbal autopsy: an International, Multicenter StudyC Engmann
Division of Neonatal Perinatal Medicine, Department of Pediatric and Maternal Child Health, University of North Carolina Schools of Medicine and Public Health, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7596, USA
J Perinatol 32:585-92. 2012..We used verbal autopsy (VA), to understand causes of non-hospital, community-based SB and END from four low-income countries.
- Novel mutations in the KCND3-encoded Kv4.3 K+ channel associated with autopsy-negative sudden unexplained deathJohn R Giudicessi
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Department of Medicine, Windland Smith Rice Sudden Death Genomics Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Hum Mutat 33:989-97. 2012..Brugada syndrome (BrS) and idiopathic ventricular fibrillation (IVF), may serve as the pathogenic basis for autopsy-negative sudden unexplained death (SUD) and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)...
- Pathology and virology findings in cases of fatal influenza A H1N1 virus infection in 2009-2010Amanjit Bal
Department of Histopathology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Sector 12, Chandigarh, India
Histopathology 60:326-35. 2012....
- Methodological trends in studies based on verbal autopsies before and after published guidelinesRohina Joshi
George Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Sydney NSW, Australia
Bull World Health Organ 87:678-82. 2009To report on the uptake of guidelines published in the early 1990s with specific recommendations about the design of future studies based on verbal autopsy conducted for mortality surveillance.
- Applying verbal autopsy to determine cause of death in rural VietnamDao Lan Huong
Health Strategy and Policy Institute, Ministry of Health, Hanoi, Vietnam
Scand J Public Health Suppl 62:19-25. 2003Verbal autopsy (VA) is an attractive method for ascertaining causes of death in settings where the proportion of people who die under medical care is low...
- Plaque in superficial femoral arteries indicates generalized atherosclerosis and vulnerability to coronary death: an autopsy studySøren Dalager
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery T, Aarhus University Hospital, Skejby, Arhus, Denmark
J Vasc Surg 47:296-302. 2008..Assessment of subclinical atherosclerosis in peripheral arteries might improve this limitation. We studied the relationship between atherosclerotic plaques in peripheral arteries, coronary plaques, and coronary death...
- Childhood mortality and probable causes of death using verbal autopsy in Niakhar, Senegal, 1989-2000Jean Francois Etard
Institut de Recherche pour le Développement IRD BP 1386 Dakar, Senegal
Int J Epidemiol 33:1286-92. 2004..The authors applied the verbal autopsy to identify causes of death before 15 years old in a rural area of Senegal where a demographic surveillance ..
- Validity of verbal autopsy procedures for determining malaria deaths in different epidemiological settings in UgandaArthur Mpimbaza
Uganda Malaria Surveillance Project Kampala, Kampala, Uganda
PLoS ONE 6:e26892. 2011Verbal autopsy (VA) procedures can be used to estimate cause of death in settings with inadequate vital registries...
- Diffusion imaging of whole, post-mortem human brains on a clinical MRI scannerKarla L Miller
FMRIB Centre, Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Neuroimage 57:167-81. 2011..Despite these alterations, diffusion tractography of several major tracts is successfully demonstrated at both resolutions. We also report novel findings of cortical anisotropy and partial volume effects...
- Probabilistic methods for verbal autopsy interpretation: InterVA robustness in relation to variations in a priori probabilitiesEdward Fottrell
Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umeå Centre for Global Health Research, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
PLoS ONE 6:e27200. 2011InterVA is a probabilistic method for interpreting verbal autopsy (VA) data...
- Metastatic patterns of cancers: results from a large autopsy studyGuy DiSibio
Department of Pathology, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90509, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:931-9. 2008..Many studies have addressed metastatic patterns seen among various cancers. No recent studies, however, provide quantitative analyses of such patterns arising from a broad range of cancers based primarily on postmortem tissue analyses...
- Altered levels of circulating insulin and other neuroendocrine hormones associated with the onset of schizophreniaPaul C Guest
Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge, UK
Psychoneuroendocrinology 36:1092-6. 2011..This could have important implications for future biomarker discovery efforts and personalized medicine strategies based on patient stratification for the treatment of this debilitating disorder...
- Voxel-based morphometry in autopsy proven PSP and CBDKeith A Josephs
Department of Neurology Movement Disorders, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurobiol Aging 29:280-9. 2008The aim of this study was to compare the patterns of grey and white matter atrophy on MRI in autopsy confirmed progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) and corticobasal degeneration (CBD), and to determine whether the patterns vary depending ..
- Comparison of clinical criteria for the acute respiratory distress syndrome with autopsy findingsAndres Esteban
Hospital Universitario de Getafe, Madrid, Spain
Ann Intern Med 141:440-5. 2004..The American-European Consensus Conference definition for the acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) has never been validated...
- Proteomics-derived cerebrospinal fluid markers of autopsy-confirmed Alzheimer's diseaseAlex E Roher
The Longtine Center for Molecular Biology and Genetics, Sun Health Research Institute, 10515 West Santa Fe Drive, Sun City, AZ 85351, USA
Biomarkers 14:493-501. 2009..For the discrimination of AD from NADD subjects, measurement of Abeta1-42 alone was superior...
- An autopsy study of maternal mortality in Mozambique: the contribution of infectious diseasesClara Menendez
Barcelona Center for International Health Research CRESIB and Department of Pathology, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
PLoS Med 5:e44. 2008..The aim of this study was to accurately describe the causes of maternal death in order to contribute to its reduction, in one of the regions of the world with the highest maternal mortality ratios...
- Clinical, educational, and epidemiological value of autopsyJulian L Burton
Academic Unit of Pathology, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Beech Hill Road, Sheffield S10 2RX, UK
Lancet 369:1471-80. 2007The autopsy is now often regarded as of marginal use in modern clinical practice...
- Human postmortem tissue: what quality markers matter?Ana D Stan
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Department of Psychiatry, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, NE5 110F, Dallas, TX 75390 9127, USA
Brain Res 1123:1-11. 2006..g., thawed tissue, surgical tissue), that yielded unexpected quality indicators. These data also suggest that cases whose source was a Medical Examiner's office represent high tissue quality...
- Vascular dementia in a population-based autopsy studyDavid S Knopman
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Neurol 60:569-75. 2003..The validity of the clinical diagnosis of vascular dementia (VaD) remains suboptimal...
- Verbal autopsy: reliability and validity estimates for causes of death in the Golestan Cohort Study in IranHooman Khademi
Digestive Disease Research Center, Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences Tehran, Iran
PLoS ONE 5:e11183. 2010Verbal autopsy (VA) is one method to obtain valid estimates of causes of death in the absence of valid medical records...
- Verbal autopsy can consistently measure AIDS mortality: a validation study in Tanzania and ZimbabweB Lopman
Imperial College, London, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 64:330-4. 2010Verbal autopsy is currently the only option for obtaining cause of death information in most populations with a widespread HIV/AIDS epidemic.
- Diagnostic performance of a CSF-biomarker panel in autopsy-confirmed dementiaSebastiaan Engelborghs
Department of Neurology and Memory Clinic, Middelheim General Hospital ZNA, Lindendreef 1, 2020 Antwerp, Belgium
Neurobiol Aging 29:1143-59. 2008..181 (P-tau(181P)) compared to clinical diagnosis, biomarker levels were determined in CSF samples from 100 autopsy-confirmed dementia and 100 control subjects...
- Electrospray tandem mass spectrometry for analysis of acylcarnitines in dried postmortem blood specimens collected at autopsy from infants with unexplained cause of deathD H Chace
Neo Gen Screening, PO Box 219, Bridgeville, PA 15017, USA
Clin Chem 47:1166-82. 2001..Tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS) may reveal disorders of fatty acid oxidation in deaths of previously unknown cause...
- Validation of the symptom pattern method for analyzing verbal autopsy dataChristopher J L Murray
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS Med 4:e327. 2007..of reliable vital registration data, information collected after death from household members, called verbal autopsy (VA), is commonly used to study causes of death...
- Culture, risk factors and suicide in rural China: a psychological autopsy case control studyJ Zhang
Department of Sociology, State University of New York College at Buffalo, NY 14222, USA
Acta Psychiatr Scand 110:430-7. 2004..The current study examines the major risk factors and some cultural uniqueness related to Chinese rural suicide using a quantitative design...
- Cerebrovascular pathology and dementia in autopsied Honolulu-Asia Aging Study participantsLon White
Kuakini Medical Center, 846 S Hotel Street, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 977:9-23. 2002..The cerebrovascular lesion type most essentially and inclusively related to dementia was multiple microinfarction...
- Validation of verbal autopsy to determine the cause of 137 neonatal deaths in Karachi, PakistanDavid R Marsh
Office of Health, Save the Children Federation US, Westport, CT, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 17:132-42. 2003Verbal autopsy (VA) aims to estimate a community's mortality experience in the absence of contact with formal registration or health care systems...
- Anomalies of asymmetry of pyramidal cell density and structure in dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in schizophreniaThomas J Cullen
Prince of Wales International Centre for SANE Research, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, UK
Br J Psychiatry 188:26-31. 2006..Studies suggest that neuronal density in left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex is increased in schizophrenia...
- The molecular autopsy: should the evaluation continue after the funeral?David J Tester
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Department of Medicine, Windland Smith Rice Sudden Death Genomics Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, Guggenheim 501, Rochester, MN, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 33:461-70. 2012..of death in developed countries, with most SCDs involving the elderly, and structural heart disease evident at autopsy. Each year, however, thousands of sudden deaths involving individuals younger than 35 years of age remain ..
- Metastatic patterns at autopsy in patients with ovarian carcinomaUwe Guth
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Cancer 110:1272-80. 2007Previously published studies concerning autopsy findings in ovarian cancer failed to consider the broad differences in factors that influence the course of disease...
- Brain lesions at autopsy in older Japanese-American men as related to cognitive impairment and dementia in the final years of life: a summary report from the Honolulu-Asia aging studyLon White
Pacific Health Research Institute and Kuakini Medical System, PHRI Bishop Street Tower, 700 Bishop Street, Suite 900, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
J Alzheimers Dis 18:713-25. 2009..In this autopsy panel, microvascular infarcts were identified as the sole or dominant lesion in 33...
- Café coronary syndrome-fatal choking on food: an autopsy approachRegula Wick
Forensic Science SA and Department of Pathology, University of Adelaide, 21 Divett Place, 5000 Adelaide, Australia
J Clin Forensic Med 13:135-8. 2006To examine the characteristic features of fatal food asphyxia and to develop an autopsy approach to such cases a retrospective study of autopsy files was undertaken at Forensic Science SA (Adelaide, Australia) over a 10 year period from ..
- Examination of the clinicopathologic continuum of Alzheimer disease in the autopsy cohort of the National Alzheimer Coordinating CenterAlberto Serrano-Pozo
From the Massachusetts Alzheimer Disease Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital AS P, MPF, BTH and Department of Biostatistics, Harvard School of Public Health JQ, Rab, Boston and Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst JQ, Massachusetts and National Alzheimer Coordinating Center and Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington SEM
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 72:1182-92. 2013..we selected a convenience sample of subjects from the National Alzheimer Coordinating Center 2005 to 2012 autopsy cohort (n = 2,083) with the last clinical evaluation within 2 years before autopsy and no other primary ..
- Delayed arterial healing and increased late stent thrombosis at culprit sites after drug-eluting stent placement for acute myocardial infarction patients: an autopsy studyGaku Nakazawa
CVPath Institute, Inc, 19 Firstfield Rd, Gaithersburg, MD 20878, USA
Circulation 118:1138-45. 2008The long-term safety of drug-eluting stents (DES) for acute myocardial infarction (AMI) remains uncertain. Using autopsy data, we evaluated the pathological responses of the stented segment in patients treated with DES for AMI and ..
- Gel-free analysis of the human brain proteome: application of liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry on biopsy and autopsy samplesDebora Dumont
Hasselt University, Biomedical Research Institute and Transnationale Universiteit Limburg, School of Life Sciences, Diepenbeek, Belgium
Proteomics 6:4967-77. 2006..A biopsy and autopsy study sample derived from human brain was distributed among the participants for proteomic analysis...
- AD brain pathology: vascular origins? Results from the HAAS autopsy studyLenore J Launer
Laboratory of Epidemiology, Demography and Biometry, National Institute on Aging, 7201 Wisconsin Ave, 3C 309 Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neurobiol Aging 29:1587-90. 2008..We examined this question in a fully characterized autopsy sample based on the Honolulu Asia Aging Study...
- Postmortem unenhanced magnetic resonance imaging of myocardial infarction in correlation to histological infarction age characterizationChristian Jackowski
Centre of Forensic Imaging and Virtopsy, Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Bern, IRM Bühlstrasse 20, CH 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Eur Heart J 27:2459-67. 2006Postmortem magnetic resonance (MRI) imaging is currently evaluated as alternative to traditional autopsy and myocardial infarction plays a key role therein...
- Utility of postmortem autopsy via whole-body imaging: initial observations comparing MDCT and 3.0 T MRI findings with autopsy findingsJang Gyu Cha
Department of Radiology, Soonchunhyang University Bucheon Hospital, Gyunggi do 420 020, Korea
Korean J Radiol 11:395-406. 2010We prospectively compared whole-body multidetector computed tomography (MDCT) and 3.0 T magnetic resonance (MR) images with autopsy findings.
- Comparison of acute structural and histopathological changes in human autopsy eyes after endoscopic cyclophotocoagulation and trans-scleral cyclophotocoagulationMina B Pantcheva
UPMC Eye Center, Eye and Ear Institute, University of Pittsburg School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 91:248-52. 2007To study the histological effects of trans-scleral cyclophotocoagulation (TCP) and endoscopic cyclophotocoagulation (ECP) on the ciliary body and other structures collected at autopsy and to compare with untreated controls.
- Correlation between referral ultrasound with suspected foetal anomalies and autopsy examination in two prenatal diagnosis centres. Impact of the routine use of 3D/4D scanOlivier Picone
Service de gynécologie obstétrique et médecine de la reproduction, Hopital Antoine Beclere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, 157 rue de la Porte de Trivaux, Clamart Cedex, France
Prenat Diagn 28:191-6. 2008To compare ultrasound diagnosis with autopsy findings in two tertiary referral foetal medicine centres, only one routinely using 3D and 4D ultrasound, and to compare results between the centres.
- Capturing the context of maternal deaths from verbal autopsies: a reliability study of the maternal data extraction tool (M-DET)Ann L Montgomery
Centre for Global Health Research, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
PLoS ONE 6:e14637. 2011....
- Tuberculosis and tuberculosis/HIV/AIDS-associated mortality in Africa: the urgent need to expand and invest in routine and research autopsiesVictor Mudenda
University of Zambia and University College London Medical School, UNZA UCLMS, Research and Training Project, Lusaka, Zambia
J Infect Dis 205:S340-6. 2012..infectious causes of death in high-burden countries are based on clinical records, death certificates, and verbal autopsy studies. Causes of death ascertained through these methods are known to be grossly inaccurate...
- Post mortem magnetic resonance imaging in the fetus, infant and child: a comparative study with conventional autopsy (MaRIAS Protocol)Sudhin Thayyil
Institute for Women s Health, University College London, London, UK
BMC Pediatr 11:120. 2011Minimally invasive autopsy by post mortem magnetic resonance (MR) imaging has been suggested as an alternative for conventional autopsy in view of the declining consented autopsy rates...
- Epidemiological transition in a rural community of northern India: 18-year mortality surveillance using verbal autopsyRajesh Kumar
School of Public Health, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
J Epidemiol Community Health 66:890-3. 2012..However, vital events registration systems are weak in developing countries. Therefore, verbal autopsy (VA) tools were incorporated in a community-based surveillance system to track causes of death.
- Electrophoretic mobility shift assay for the detection of specific DNA-protein complex in nuclear extracts from the cultured cells and frozen autopsy human brain tissueD K Lahiri
Laboratory of Molecular Neurogenetics, Institute of Psychiatric Research, Department of Psychiatry, Indiana University School of Medicine, 791 Union Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Brain Res Brain Res Protoc 5:257-65. 2000..we describe a rapid method for the isolation of good-quality DNA-binding proteins from cultured cell lines and autopsy tissue samples from the human brain...
- Iron in the pathogenesis of Friedreich's ataxiaARNULF HANS WERNER KOEPPEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is also unlikely that human autopsy tissues are suitable for the direct determination of this small pool of highly reactive iron...
- Protection of Brain Injury from Cyanide Poisoning by Carnosic AcidStuart A Lipton; Fiscal Year: 2013..Damage in the human brain has been confirmed via autopsy. Similar observations have been reported following both acute and chronic cyanide exposure...
- Maternal Autoantibodies: Pathogenesis of Neonatal LupusJILL PAMELA BUYON; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the previous funding periods we leveraged several rare fetal/neonatal autopsy specimens to interrogate clues to pathogenesis...
- GI Endotoxin as an Environmental Trigger in an alpha-Synuclein Transgenic MouseRobert L Nussbaum; Fiscal Year: 2012..Braak and his colleagues reported that the youngest individuals in their large autopsy series showed pathological changes of PD only in the enteric nervous system (ENS), while PD pathology in the CNS ..
- Genomic adaptation to HIV infection of the CNS in opioid-abusersRajnish S Dave; Fiscal Year: 2012..To complement these studies, we will analyze the miRNA-mediated genomic adaptive response in brain autopsy tissues from HIV patients with or without opioid-abuse disorder...
- Imaging of Aortic Atherosclerosis and Inflammation in the Metabolic SyndromeWarren J Manning; Fiscal Year: 2012..Atherosclerosis primarily affects large and medium sized vessels with autopsy data demonstrating that the abdominal aorta offers a valuable early window for the study of atherosclerosis...
- White matter changes in HIV modelsPamela E Knapp; Fiscal Year: 2011..neurologic and/or psychiatric symptoms during their disease course, and pathology is seen in most brains at autopsy. There is also an increasing incidence of dementia in patients receiving HAART, attributed to emergence of ..
- Endothelial Progenitor Cells in Brain Arteriovenous MalformationsYongmei Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Identification of EPCs as an operant process in brain AVMs can suggest lines of investigation to develop new treatment modalities. ..
- Developmental defects in serotonin neurons and the response to O2 and CO2George B Richerson; Fiscal Year: 2011..S. The mechanisms are unknown, but abnormalities in the serotonin system have been consistently found in autopsy studies...
- The Role of Connexin32 in the Pathogensis of CMTXSTEVEN SIMON SCHERER; Fiscal Year: 2013..MRI paints the picture of profound dysmyelination, but this has yet to be confirmed in an autopsy or biopsy...
- Chondroitin Sulfate Proteoglycan and Myelination in Intraventricular HemorrhagePraveen Ballabh; Fiscal Year: 2010..To address these issues, we will use prematurely delivered rabbit pups as an experimental animal and will also use autopsy materials from premature infants with and without brain hemorrhage.
- Generating Blood-based Diagnosis for Alzheimer DiseaseEugenia Wang; Fiscal Year: 2012..cerebrospinal fluid tapping, and/or expensive MRI or PET imaging, with definitive diagnosis deferred until brain autopsy. Our preliminary findings, based on new science concerning a novel molecular species, microRNAs (miR) and their "..
- microRNA analysis of neurons generated from patient-specific iPSCsHerbert M Lachman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Investigators have had to resort to autopsy specimens and peripheral blood leukocytes to carry out such studies...
- Glucocerebrosidase mutations in a mouse synucleinopathy modelRobert L Nussbaum; Fiscal Year: 2011..At autopsy, brains of DLBD patients have characteristic Lewy body aggregates throughout the cortex...
- Obesity related pancreatic fat worsens local injury via unsaturated fatty acidsVIJAY PREM SINGH; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies could open a new therapeutic frontier for this devastating disease by targeting specific lipases(s) and by stratifying patients according to risk of severe AP based on findings of IPF on imaging studies. ..
- The role of indolamine2,3-dioxygenase in the host response/pathogenesis of VenezuRobert Seymour; Fiscal Year: 2013..His other activities will include functioning as an attending of the autopsy service for 1 month per year and he will be involved in teaching medical and graduate students...
- Environmental Determinants of Cognitive Aging in the WHI Memory StudyJiu Chiuan Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., 2-amyloid accumulation with or without dystrophic neuritis) in canines. Human autopsy studies and cross-sectional epidemiologic analyses have related ambient air pollution to neuropathology of brain ..
- Effect of Major Depression and antidepressants on human neurogenesisMaura Boldrini; Fiscal Year: 2013..In an exploratory analysis we test the same effects for or lithium. These results have implications for understanding the pathophysiology of depression and the mode of action of antidepressants and lithium treatment. ..
- RNA-Seq studies of Gene Expression in Cells and Networks in FI and ACC in AutismBarbara J Wold; Fiscal Year: 2010..of John Allman and Barbara Wold to investigate gene expression in laser micro-dissected cell populations in autopsy brains of well-phenotyped autistic individuals versus age and sex matched controls using a recently developed ..
- Mechanisms by which VZV IE proteins interact with cell antiviral proteins to prevMARIA ACENA NAGEL; Fiscal Year: 2013..and viral titers will also be examined;(Aim 2) analyze latently-infected human ganglionic neurons obtained at autopsy for interactions of PML-NBs with VZV 61p and VZV 63p using techniques in Aim 1 and fluorescent in situ ..
- Cognitive Complaints and Decline and B-Amyloid Deposition in Non-Demented ElderlyBETH ELLEN SNITZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..with biological markers of AD, such as brain atrophy, reduced brain metabolism, and AD neuropathology on autopsy. These findings suggest that, for some, cognitive complaints likely represent a pre-symptomatic stage of AD which ..
- IGF::OT::IGFVivian Leung; Fiscal Year: 2013..In up to 30% of cases of sudden cardiac death in the young (SCD), no specific diagnosis is found (autopsy negative)...
- Mechanisms of degeneration in the spinal cord and musculoskeletal system in SMASANIYA FAYZULLINA; Fiscal Year: 2013..This aim will be accomplished by examining, histologically and biochemically, spinal cord MN and skeletal muscle pathology in embryonic and neonatal SMA mice and in human SMA autopsy tissues.
- Glucose Metabolic, Amyloid, and Tau Brain Imaging in Down's Syndrome and DementiaGARY WILLIAM SMALL; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Autopsy studies have shown that middle-aged adults with Down's syndrome (DS) exhibit the neuropathological hallmarks of Alzheimer's disease (AD): amyloid senile plaques (SPs) and tau ..
- Exploring the Role of the Brain Epigenome: Cognitive Decline and Life ExperiencesDavid Alan Bennett; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies of older men and women of comparable size, relevant life experiences, clinical data, and follow-up and autopsy rates, in which these analyses can be performed...
- DORSAL RAPHE NUCLEUS SEROTONIN NEURONS IN ALCOHOLISMMark D Underwood; Fiscal Year: 2012..Alcohol abuse/dependence will be diagnosed by psychological autopsy. Aim 1 seeks to define the capacity of DRN neurons to upregulate their function in alcoholics...
- Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Neurodegeneration of AgingGary E Gibson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our results in human brains at autopsy in numerous age-related neurodegenerative diseases reveal decreased activity of the mitochondrial enzyme a- ..
- Trophic factors and regulation of hippocampal neuroplasticity in the human brainMaura Boldrini; Fiscal Year: 2012..These results have implications for understanding the possibility to use trophic factors as ADT in MDD. ..
- The Ventral Medulla and the Sudden Infant Death SyndromeHANNAH CHASE KINNEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..syndrome (SIDS) is the sudden death of an infant that remains unexplained after a complete review of the history, autopsy, and death scene investigation;it is the leading cause of postneonatal infant mortality in the United States ..
- Prevention of VZV ReactivationRandall J Cohrs; Fiscal Year: 2013..qualified to conduct our proposed studies since we have a continuous supply of fresh human ganglia obtained at autopsy, decades of expertise studying both the latent and lytic VZV transcriptome, and have developed ChIP assays and ..
- Genetic and Transcriptional Control of Spleen DevelopmentLicia Selleri; Fiscal Year: 2013..blood filtering and its absence (as in congenital asplenia, an under-diagnosed disorder often recognized only at autopsy) results in a high risk for life-threatening bacterial infections in newborns and children...
- Thiamine Deficiency and Acquired Auditory NeuropathyM Charles Liberman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using animal models and human temporal bones obtained at autopsy, we will test the following hypotheses: 1) that the unique vulnerability of neonatal IHCs arises because of late-..
- Air Pollution and Cognitive Aging Among Older WomenJennifer Weuve; Fiscal Year: 2010..In autopsy studies of dogs and humans, air pollution exposure is associated with Alzheimer-like changes in the brain...
- Multimodal Biomarkers in Frontotemporal Lobar DegenerationCorey T McMillan; Fiscal Year: 2013..In recent years detailed neuropathological investigations at autopsy have demonstrated distinct sources of histopathological abnormalities in FTLD, including the presence of tau ..
- Prenatal Alcohol in Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Stillbirgh (PASS) NetworkKimberly A Dukes; Fiscal Year: 2013..with ultrasonography, and neurotransmitter and synaptic maturation in the brainstem and cerebral cortex in autopsy studies of the fetus and infant...
- CLINICAL CORRELATES OF LONGITUDINAL PET CHANGES IN ADMony J de Leon; Fiscal Year: 2013..HIP MRglc sampling accurately predicted the conversion of NL to MCI and to autopsy confirmed AD. However, MRglc measures lack pathological specificity for AD...
- Association of TFPI with antemortem dementia and postmortem micro brain infarctsSUSAN ANTONE MARONEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Of interest are the 404 individuals with and without dementia who later came to autopsy in which brain pathology was characterized...
- Cognitive Decline and Dementia: Life Experiences and the Brain Histone EpigenomeDavid A Bennett; Fiscal Year: 2010..studies of older men and women of comparable size, relevant life experiences, clinical data, and follow-up and autopsy rates, in which these analyses can be performed...
- Role of impaired cognitive states &risk factors in conversion to mixed dementiasLei Yu; Fiscal Year: 2013..sclerosis, and mixed pathologies) relates to antemortem states in the subset of participants coming to autopsy. This aim could support proposed revisions of current neuropathological and clinical research diagnostic criteria ..
- Exploring the Genetics of Alzheimer's Disease in Humans and DrosophilaJoshua M Shulman; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the human genome for loci associated with a quantitative measure of AD neuropathology present in two large autopsy cohorts from community-based studies, the Religious Orders Study (ROS) and the Rush Memory and Aging Project (MAP)..
- Early Detection of Pancreatic Cancer Using Ice COLD-PCRGrant Wu; Fiscal Year: 2012..The method will be further validated in several tissues from well-characterized human pancreatic autopsy samples, including pancreas, blood and urine...
- The Role and Mechanisms of microRNAs in Diabetic CorneaMehrnoosh Saghizadeh; Fiscal Year: 2013..of actions, we will utilize adenovirus-driven microRNA-based gene therapy to treat human organ-cultured human autopsy diabetic corneas using functionally validated miRNAs...
- The Role of the Transient Outward Current in Genetically Elusive Sudden DeathJohn R Giudicessi; Fiscal Year: 2013..from heritable defects in cardiac ion channel function represent the most common identifiable causes underlying autopsy negative sudden death, including 35% of Sudden Unexplained Death Syndrome (SUDS) and 10% of Sudden Infant Death ..
- Reducing morbidity and mortality from acute febrile illness by improved diagnosisMEGAN ELIZABETH RELLER; Fiscal Year: 2012..The actual sum and etiologic fractions are unknown, since few are diagnosed in life or classified by autopsy thereafter. Fever is often attributed erroneously to malaria in sub-Saharan Africa and to typhoid in South Asia...
- CAUSES OF AND ASSOCIATIONS WITH DEATH DURING LONG TERM HAART IN AFRICAChristopher J Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, the optimum approach to allocating resources to maximize outcomes is currently unclear. Knowledge of risks for and causes of mortality can contribute to informing resource allocation aimed at improving health and survival. ..
- AD Gene Discovery: Exome Chip, New Endophenotypes &Functional Studies in CHARGESudha Seshadri; Fiscal Year: 2013..and brain mRNA, miRNA, methylation data (n~8000 &750, respectively), hippocampal neuronal expression in autopsy brains and in Drosophila tau &[unreadable]-amyloid models...
- Very High Resolution Laboratory MicroCT ScannerD Rick Sumner; Fiscal Year: 2010..The investigations use animal models and human autopsy material...
- Beta-Amyloid Immunization in a Canine Model of AgingElizabeth Head; Fiscal Year: 2013..Cognitive benefits were reported in this study and autopsy studies show a reduction in brain A[unreadable]...
- Epithelial Cell Apoptosis in Influenza A-Induced Lung InjuryKATHRYN ANN RADIGAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..This proposal seeks to determine the role of epithelial cell apoptosis in the development of influenza A-induced lung injury. These studies may identify novel targets for therapeutic drug development in influenza A infected patients. ..
- Ocular HSV: Role of virus and IL-2 in Optic neuritisHomayon Ghiasi; Fiscal Year: 2010..in demyelination, as determined by visual-evoked cortical potentials (VECPs) and histologic examination at autopsy. In contrast, neither wild- type (wt) HSV infection alone nor HSV-IL-4, nor HSV-IFN-gamma virus (identical to HSV-..
- Stroke and aPL: Community-Based Clinicopathological StudySTEVEN RICHARD LEVINE; Fiscal Year: 2012..compare multiple to single aPL positivity, and to assess mechanisms of aPL associated cerebrovascular disease at autopsy. The proposed study will take advantage of ante-mortem biologic specimens, clinical and post-mortem data from two ..
- Molecular Basis of Iron Imbalance in sCJD Brain and CSFNeena Singh; Fiscal Year: 2013..Sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD) is a fatal prion disorder of humans that escapes detection until autopsy. The principal cause of neurotoxicity in this and other prion disorders is accumulation of PrP-scrapie (PrPSc), a ..
- Air Pollution, Systemic Inflammation, and Sub-Clinical Atherosclerosis in High-AlRODRIGO XAVIER ARMIJOS; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Autopsy and ultrasound studies have shown that atherogenesis begins early in life...
- Mechanisms of Multiple Sclerosis Tissue PathologyClaudia F Lucchinetti; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our prior funded research focused on early biopsy and autopsy MS cases and revealed CDM occurs early;can be inflammatory;and meningeal inflammation is prominent...
- Identification of a Novel Gene for Parkinson DiseaseHan Xiang Deng; Fiscal Year: 2012..Pathological analysis of the two autopsy samples revealed Parkinson pathology, including typical Lewy bodies...
- Essential Tremor: Gene expression profiling in cerebellar Purkinje cellsPhyllis L Faust; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will perform gene expression analyses by microarray screening on RNA isolated from PCs of ET versus control autopsy brains...
- Functional Dissection of the Sudden Cardiac Death Associated BAZ2B locusDan E Arking; Fiscal Year: 2013..Second, we will characterize the genetic variation in this region in 3,900 autopsy-identified SCD cases and >6,000 controls to: 1) identify the functional variant(s) underlying the identified ..
- ASDAMTS-13 and InflammationTRUNG CHANH NGUYEN; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Molecular mechanism of senile cardiac amyloidosisLawreen H Connors; Fiscal Year: 2013..The molecular mechanisms in SSA remain undefined, but are important to determine as autopsy studies have suggested that heart failure caused by amyloidosis may be vastly unrecognized and undiagnosed in the ..
- Role of Mucin in Lung Homeostasis and PathophysiologyChristopher M Evans; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Autopsy studies show that 98% of the airways of patients who die from fatal asthma have extensive mucus plugging...
- Longitudinal Changes in Pericardial Adiposity and Subclinical AtherosclerosisJOHN JEFFREY CARR; Fiscal Year: 2013..are associated with culprit lesions of the acute coronary syndrome identified by intracoronary ultrasound or at autopsy. This proposal leverages the investment in CARDIA by adding new science related to PAT and its role in coronary ..
- Culture, Risk Factors and Suicide Attempt in Rural ChinaJie Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. the value systems) in determining risk for suicide. Psychological autopsy (PA) studies with suicides are usually limited by their indirect evaluation and understanding of the suicides&..
- EMBRYONIC DOPAMINE CELL IMPLANTS FOR PARKINSONISMCurt Freed; Fiscal Year: 2005..same clinical course as those in the blind trial? 4) Do transplant effects plateau and then decline? and 5) At autopsy, does the survival of dopamine cells and accompanying neurite outgrowth correlate with clinical and PET scan ..
- Glucocerebrosidase mutations in a mouse synucleinopathy modelRobert L Nussbaum; Fiscal Year: 2010..At autopsy, brains of DLBD patients have characteristic Lewy body aggregates throughout the cortex...
- Redefining Cerebral MalariaTerrie Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2009..Data from our autopsy-based study suggest that this standard clinical case definition is wrong 23% of the time (62)...
- DEVELOPMENT OF NOVEL BIOMARKERS FOR ALZHEIMER'S DISEASEJames Moe; Fiscal Year: 2009..Presently, definitive diagnosis of AD requires tissue biopsy or autopsy of the brain, which can occur only after the patient dies...
- Causes of early mortality in HIV-infected Africans on antiretroviral therapyABRAHAM MOSIGISI SIIKA; Fiscal Year: 2012..where very sick AMPATH- enrolled patients are admitted;(2) the MTRH Morgue which has cold storage facilities, an autopsy laboratory and 4 full-time pathologists;(3) the AMPATH Medical Record System (AMRS), a fully computerized system ..
- TYPE II COLLAGEN DENATURATION IN AGING AND OSTEOARTHRITIAnthony Poole; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will examine aging human knee articular cartilages from autopsy and OA cartilages at arthroplasty, and those from the talus (ankle) (autopsy only)...
- MURINE MODEL OF HIV INFECTION OF HUMAN BRAINCristian Achim; Fiscal Year: 1999..Recent studies have shown that all patients with HIV dementia have at autopsy neuropathologic changes consistent with HIV encephalitis...
- BORNA VIRUS--AN EMERGING NEUROTROPIC PATHOGEN IN HUMANSJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2000..Moreover, BDV antigen and RNA have been detected in the hippocampus of autopsy brain samples from four patients who presented with major depression and memory loss...
- CLINICAL METABOLIC CORRELATION IN DEMENTIA BY PROTON NMRWilliam Klunk; Fiscal Year: 1999..Proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (1/H MRS) will be used to analyze 6 brain areas obtained at autopsy from 75 Alzheimer's disease (AD), 25 controls, and 15 non-AD demented controls over 5 years...
- EARLY DEVELOPMENTAL GENES AND AUTISMPatricia Rodier; Fiscal Year: 2000..To test the hypothesis that autism arises from injury to the closing neural tube, we examined an autistic autopsy case and found evidence of an early injury to the brain stem...
- MECHANISMS OF ACTIONS OF ALCOHOL AND OMEGA 3-FATTY ACIDSRaj Lakshman; Fiscal Year: 2004..2. Both 2,6-ST-mRNA and GAPDH mRNA levels seemed to be intact in two autopsy liver samples from non-alcoholic controls. 3...
- SIV Encephalitis and Disease ProgressionClayton Wiley; Fiscal Year: 2009..In Specific Aim 3 we will measure synaptic and extracellular matrix damage in autopsy brain tissues and compare them to the temporal course of peripheral and central viral loads, DAA1106 binding...