Genomes and Genes
Summary: Removal of moisture from a substance (chemical, food, tissue, etc.).
Publications352 found, 100 shown here
- Desiccation tolerance in human cellsI Puhlev
UCSD Cancer Center, La Jolla, California 92093-0912, USA
Cryobiology 42:207-17. 2001..The most important finding is that vacuum greatly enhances the ability of human cells in culture to withstand desiccation. In fact, cells dried slowly and stored under vacuum are able to withstand desiccation even in the absence of ..
- The continuing conundrum of the LEA proteinsAlan Tunnacliffe
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Naturwissenschaften 94:791-812. 2007..The challenge now facing researchers investigating these enigmatic proteins is to make sense of the various in vitro defined functions in the living cell: Are the LEA proteins truly multi-talented, or are they still just misunderstood?..
- NHEJ protects mycobacteria in stationary phase against the harmful effects of desiccationRobert S Pitcher
Genome Damage and Stability Centre, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9RQ, UK
DNA Repair (Amst) 6:1271-6. 2007..Similarly, NHEJ-mutant strains were more sensitive to prolonged desiccation than wild-type M. smegmatis...
- Effects of starvation and desiccation on energy metabolism in desert and mesic DrosophilaM T Marron
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Arizona, 1041 E Lowell St, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Insect Physiol 49:261-70. 2003..laboratory experiments have revealed that energy storage patterns differ between populations selected for desiccation and starvation...
- A sister group contrast using untargeted global metabolomic analysis delineates the biochemical regulation underlying desiccation tolerance in Sporobolus stapfianusMelvin J Oliver
U S Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Plant Genetic Research Unit, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
Plant Cell 23:1231-48. 2011..The desiccation-tolerant (DT) Sporobolus stapfianus and the desiccation-sensitive (DS) Sporobolus pyramidalis formed a sister ..
- Adaptation to aridity in the malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae: chromosomal inversion polymorphism and body size influence resistance to desiccationCaroline Fouet
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, UMR MIVEGEC, UM1, UM2, CNRS 5290, IRD 224, Montpellier, France
PLoS ONE 7:e34841. 2012..To test this hypothesis, we compared the desiccation resistance of alternative karyotypes from a colonised 2Rb/2La polymorphic population of A...
- Trehalose renders the dauer larva of Caenorhabditis elegans resistant to extreme desiccationCihan Erkut
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Dresden 01307, Germany
Curr Biol 21:1331-6. 2011..By means of infrared spectroscopy, we can now distinguish a "dry, yet alive" larva from a "dry and dead" one...
- Molecular mechanisms of desiccation tolerance in resurrection plantsTsanko S Gechev
Department of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology, University of Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Cell Mol Life Sci 69:3175-86. 2012..plants are a small but diverse group of land plants characterized by their tolerance to extreme drought or desiccation. They have the unique ability to survive months to years without water, lose most of the free water in their ..
- C4 grasses prosper as carbon dioxide eliminates desiccation in warmed semi-arid grasslandJack A Morgan
USDA ARS, Rangeland Resources Research Unit and Northern Plains Area, Fort Collins, Colorado 80526, USA
Nature 476:202-5. 2011Global warming is predicted to induce desiccation in many world regions through increases in evaporative demand. Rising CO(2) may counter that trend by improving plant water-use efficiency...
- Structure and function of a mitochondrial late embryogenesis abundant protein are revealed by desiccationDimitri Tolleter
Unité Mixte de Recherche 1191, Physiologie Moléculaire des Semences, Université d Angers Institut National d Horticulture Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Angers F 49045, France
Plant Cell 19:1580-9. 2007Few organisms are able to withstand desiccation stress; however, desiccation tolerance is widespread among plant seeds...
- The effects of acclimation on thermal tolerance, desiccation resistance and metabolic rate in Chirodica chalcoptera (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae)John S Terblanche
Spatial, Physiological, and Conservation Ecology Group, Department of Botany and Zoology, Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1, Matieland, 7602, South Africa
J Insect Physiol 51:1013-23. 2005..We report the effects of temperature acclimation on thermal tolerance, desiccation rate and metabolic rate for adult Chirodica chalcoptera (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) collected from Protea ..
- Molecular mechanisms of desiccation tolerance in the resurrection glacial relic Haberlea rhodopensisTsanko S Gechev
Department of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology, University of Plovdiv, 24 Tsar Assen Str, Plovdiv, 4000, Bulgaria
Cell Mol Life Sci 70:689-709. 2013Haberlea rhodopensis is a resurrection plant with remarkable tolerance to desiccation. Haberlea exposed to drought stress, desiccation, and subsequent rehydration showed no signs of damage or severe oxidative stress compared to untreated ..
- Dehydration-regulated processing of late embryogenesis abundant protein in a desiccation-tolerant nematodeKshamata Goyal
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QT, UK
FEBS Lett 579:4093-8. 2005Late embryogenesis abundant (LEA) proteins occur in desiccation-tolerant organisms, including the nematode Aphelenchus avenae, and are thought to protect other proteins from aggregation...
- Hydrophilic protein associated with desiccation tolerance exhibits broad protein stabilization functionSohini Chakrabortee
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QT, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:18073-8. 2007..One phylogenetically widespread adaptation is the presence of abundant, highly hydrophilic proteins in desiccation-tolerant organisms...
- Comparative analysis of the heat stable proteome of radicles of Medicago truncatula seeds during germination identifies late embryogenesis abundant proteins associated with desiccation toleranceJulie Boudet
Unité Mixte de Recherche 1191, Physiologie Moléculaire des Semences, Anjou Recherche Semences, 49045 Angers, France
Plant Physiol 140:1418-36. 2006..of Medicago truncatula seeds to investigate whether proteins can be identified that are specifically linked to desiccation tolerance (DT). Radicles were compared before and after emergence (2...
- Desiccation of the resurrection plant Haberlea rhodopensis at high temperatureGergana Mihailova
Acad M Popov Institute of Plant Physiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Acad G Bonchev Str, Bl 21, 1113, Sofia, Bulgaria
Photosynth Res 108:5-13. 2011..activity of PSII and PSI and the rate of photosynthetic oxygen evolution, and these effects were stronger when desiccation was carried out at 38°C...
- Proteomics of desiccation tolerance during development and germination of maize embryosHui Huang
Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100093, China
J Proteomics 75:1247-62. 2012Maize seeds were used to identify the key embryo proteins involved in desiccation tolerance during development and germination...
- Programming desiccation-tolerance: from plants to seeds to resurrection plantsJill M Farrant
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch 7701, South Africa
Curr Opin Plant Biol 14:340-5. 2011b>Desiccation-tolerance (DT) evolved as the key solution to survival on land by the early algal ancestors of terrestrial plants...
- PSI-driven cyclic electron flow allows intertidal macro-algae Ulva sp. (Chlorophyta) to survive in desiccated conditionsShan Gao
Tianjin Key Laboratory of Marine Resources and Chemistry, College of Marine Science and Engineering, Tianjin University of Science and Technology, Tianjin 300457, PR China
Plant Cell Physiol 52:885-93. 2011..performance of the photosystems and the changes in photosynthetic electron transport that occur during desiccation and rehydration of Ulva sp. The PSII activity in Ulva sp...
- Sip18 hydrophilin prevents yeast cell death during desiccation stressB Rodríguez-Porrata
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain
J Appl Microbiol 112:512-25. 2012..For this study, we performed a genetic screen of S. cerevisiae's deletion library for mutants sensitive to dehydration stress, with which we aimed to discover cell dehydration-tolerant genes...
- Embryonic desiccation resistance in Aedes aegypti: presumptive role of the chitinized serosal cuticleGustavo Lazzaro Rezende
Laboratório de Fisiologia e Controle de Artrópodes Vetores, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ and Laboratório de Entomologia, Instituto de Biologia do Exército, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
BMC Dev Biol 8:82. 2008..problems concerning dengue transmission is that embryos of its main vector, the mosquito Aedes aegypti, resist desiccation, surviving several months under dry conditions...
- Cytoarchitecture of the desiccation-tolerant green alga Zygogonium ericetorumA Holzinger
Department of Physiology and Cell Physiology of Alpine Plants, Institute of Botany, Sternwartestr 15, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Protoplasma 243:15-24. 2010..Water-soluble extracts were separated by high-pressure liquid chromatography that revealed two major compounds with UV-absorbing capacities...
- The role of lipid metabolism in the acquisition of desiccation tolerance in Craterostigma plantagineum: a comparative approachFrancisco Gasulla
Botánica and ICBIBE, Fac C Biológicas, Universitat de Valencia, C Dr Moliner 50, Burjassot, Valencia 46100, Spain Institute of Molecular Physiology and Biotechnology of Plants IMBIO, University of Bonn, Kirschallee 1, Bonn D 53115, Germany
Plant J 75:726-41. 2013..We analysed the lipid composition and the expression of genes involved in lipid biosynthesis in the desiccation-tolerant plant Craterostigma plantagineum...
- Anhydrobiosis in bacteria: from physiology to applicationsArmando Hernandez Garcia
Department of Biochemistry, Research Group on Infection Diseases, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas, Ave 25 y 158, Cubanacan, Playa, La Habana, Cuba
J Biosci 36:939-50. 2011Anhydrobiosis is a phenomenon related to the partial or total desiccation of living organisms, keeping their vital functions after rehydration...
- Quantitative genetic analysis suggests causal association between cuticular hydrocarbon composition and desiccation survival in Drosophila melanogasterB R Foley
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90007, USA
Heredity (Edinb) 106:68-77. 2011Survival to low relative humidity is a complex adaptation, and many repeated instances of evolution to desiccation have been observed among Drosophila populations and species...
- Osmotically induced intracellular trehalose, but not glycine betaine accumulation promotes desiccation tolerance in Escherichia coliD T Welsh
Dipartimento di Scienze Ambientali, Universita degli Studi di Parma, Italy
FEMS Microbiol Lett 174:57-63. 1999..However, trehalose alone cannot explain the intrinsically greater desiccation tolerance of stationary compared to exponential phase E...
- Tardigrade Resistance to Space Effects: first results of experiments on the LIFE-TARSE mission on FOTON-M3 (September 2007)Lorena Rebecchi
Department of Animal Biology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, 41100, Modena, Italy
Astrobiology 9:581-91. 2009..During the flight mission, tardigrades molted, and females laid eggs. Several eggs hatched, and the newborns exhibited normal morphology and behavior...
- Expression profiling and cross-species RNA interference (RNAi) of desiccation-induced transcripts in the anhydrobiotic nematode Aphelenchus avenaeWesley Reardon
Department of Biology, National University of Ireland, Maynooth, CO, Kildare, Ireland
BMC Mol Biol 11:6. 2010Some organisms can survive extreme desiccation by entering a state of suspended animation known as anhydrobiosis...
- Preparation and characterization of nanocrystals for solubility and dissolution rate enhancement of nifedipineJ Hecq
Laboratory of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Campus Plaine, CP 207, Boulevard du Triomphe, Brussels 1050, Belgium
Int J Pharm 299:167-77. 2005..The method being simple and easily scaled up, this approach should have a general applicability to many poorly water-soluble drug entities...
- Mechanism and function of Drosophila capa GPCR: a desiccation stress-responsive receptor with functional homology to human neuromedinU receptorSelim Terhzaz
Institute of Molecular, Cell and Systems Biology, College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e29897. 2012..Adult capaR RNAi transgenic flies also display resistance to desiccation. Thus, capaR acts in the key fluid-transporting tissue to regulate responses to desiccation stress in the fly.
- Crucial role of extracellular polysaccharides in desiccation and freezing tolerance in the terrestrial cyanobacterium Nostoc communeYoshiyuki Tamaru
Division of Life Sciences, Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa University, Kakuma, Kanazawa 920 1192, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:7327-33. 2005..In this study, the role of extracellular polysaccharides (EPS) in the desiccation tolerance of photosynthesis in N. commune was examined...
- Fungicidal effects of chemical disinfectants, UV light, desiccation and heat on the amphibian chytrid Batrachochytrium dendrobatidisMegan L Johnson
School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland 4810, Australia
Dis Aquat Organ 57:255-60. 2003..was to evaluate the fungicidal effects of chemical disinfectants, sterilising ultraviolet (UV) light, heat and desiccation, using methods that were feasible for either disinfection in the field, in amphibian husbandry or in the ..
- Effects of larval growth condition and water availability on desiccation resistance and its physiological basis in adult Anopheles gambiae sensu strictoFred Aboagye-Antwi
Centre for Applied Entomology and Parasitology, School of Life Sciences, Keele University, Keele, Staffordshire, UK
Malar J 9:225. 2010..Natural populations of the malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae s.s. are exposed to large seasonal and daily fluctuations in relative humidity and temperature, which makes coping with drought a crucial aspect of their ecology...
- Monitoring the expression profiles of 7000 Arabidopsis genes under drought, cold and high-salinity stresses using a full-length cDNA microarrayMotoaki Seki
Plant Mutation Exploration Team, Plant Functional Genomics Research Group, RIKEN Genomic Sciences Center, 3 1 1 Koyadai, Tsukuba 305 0074, Japan
Plant J 31:279-92. 2002....
- OSM1/SYP61: a syntaxin protein in Arabidopsis controls abscisic acid-mediated and non-abscisic acid-mediated responses to abiotic stressJianhua Zhu
Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 1165, USA
Plant Cell 14:3009-28. 2002..Together, our results demonstrate important roles of OSM1/SYP61 in osmotic stress tolerance and in the ABA regulation of stomatal responses...
- Transcriptome profiling uncovers metabolic and regulatory processes occurring during the transition from desiccation-sensitive to desiccation-tolerant stages in Medicago truncatula seedsJulia Buitink
Unité Mixte de Recherche 1191 Physiologie Moléculaire des Semences, Université d Angers INH INRA, 16 Bd Lavoisier, 49045 Angers, France
Plant J 47:735-50. 2006To investigate regulatory processes and protective mechanisms leading to desiccation tolerance (DT) in seeds, 16086-element microarrays were used to monitor changes in the transcriptome of desiccation-sensitive 3-mm-long radicles of ..
- Adaptations of higher plant cell walls to water loss: drought vs desiccationJohn P Moore
Institute for Wine Biotechnology, Faculty of AgriSciences, Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1, Matieland 7602, South Africa
Physiol Plant 134:237-45. 2008..b>Desiccation tolerance, by contrast, is the evolution of cell walls that are capable of losing the majority of cellular ..
- Development and application of a broadly sensitive dried-blood-spot-based genotyping assay for global surveillance of HIV-1 drug resistanceChunfu Yang
Division of Global AIDS, International Laboratory Branch, DGHA, NCHHSTP, CDC, Mail Stop A 11, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 48:3158-64. 2010..Thus, the assay is likely to become a useful screening tool in the global resistance surveillance and monitoring of HIV-1 where multiple subtypes and CRFs are found...
- Protein oxidation: key to bacterial desiccation resistance?James K Fredrickson
Biological Sciences Division, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA 99352, USA
ISME J 2:393-403. 2008..between survival of dry-climate soil bacteria and the level of cellular protein oxidation induced by desiccation. Bacteria were isolated from surface soils of the shrub-steppe of the US Department of Energy's Hanford Site in ..
- Transcriptional response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae to desiccation and rehydrationJatinder Singh
Virginia Tech Center for Genomics, Department of Biochemistry, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:8752-63. 2005A transcriptional analysis of the response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain BY4743 to controlled air-drying (desiccation) and subsequent rehydration under minimal glucose conditions was performed...
- The survival of Listeria monocytogenes during long term desiccation is facilitated by sodium chloride and organic materialBirte Fonnesbech Vogel
Technical University of Denmark, National Food Institute, Søltofts Plads, Building 221, DK 2800 Kgs Lyngby, Denmark
Int J Food Microbiol 140:192-200. 2010..We hypothesised that tolerance to desiccation could be a factor in explaining the persistence of L...
- Heat shock proteins and resistance to desiccation in congeneric land snailsTal Mizrahi
Department of Biology, Technion, Haifa, 32000, Israel
Cell Stress Chaperones 15:351-63. 2010..We used experimental desiccation to test whether adaptation to different habitats affects HSP expression in two closely related Sphincterochila ..
- Transcriptome survey of the anhydrobiotic tardigrade Milnesium tardigradum in comparison with Hypsibius dujardini and Richtersius coroniferBrahim Mali
Molecular Biology and Functional Genomics, University of Applied Sciences Wildau, Bahnhofstrasse 1, 15745 Wildau, Germany
BMC Genomics 11:168. 2010The phenomenon of desiccation tolerance, also called anhydrobiosis, involves the ability of an organism to survive the loss of almost all cellular water without sustaining irreversible damage...
- Protective mechanism of desiccation tolerance in Reaumuria soongorica: leaf abscission and sucrose accumulation in the stemYubing Liu
School of Life Sciences, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, 730000, China
Sci China C Life Sci 50:15-21. 2007..a perennial semi-shrub, is widely found in semi-arid areas in northwestern China and can survive severe desiccation of its vegetative organs. In order to study the protective mechanism of desiccation tolerance in R...
- Desiccation tolerance of spermatozoa dried at ambient temperature: production of fetal miceSankha Bhowmick
Center for Engineering in Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02115, USA
Biol Reprod 68:1779-86. 2003Long-term preservation of mouse sperm by desiccation is economically and logistically attractive. The current investigation is a feasibility study of the preservation of mouse sperm by convective drying in an inert gas (nitrogen)...
- Preservation of micro-organisms by drying; a reviewC A Morgan
BTF Pty Ltd, PO Box 599, North Ryde BC, NSW 1670, Australia
J Microbiol Methods 66:183-93. 2006..Also, particular attention has been paid to the use of freeze drying and the protective matrices used to improve microbial cell viability after drying...
- Mouse sperm desiccated and stored in trehalose medium without freezingLynda K McGinnis
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Biol Reprod 73:627-33. 2005..b>Desiccation and storage in medium with trehalose significantly increased sperm developmental potential compared to medium ..
- Impact of environmental stress desiccation, acidity, alkalinity, heat or cold on antibiotic susceptibility of Cronobacter sakazakiiAnas A Al-Nabulsi
Department of Nutrition and Food Technology, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
Int J Food Microbiol 146:137-43. 2011..5 for 30 min or 11.25 for 5 min), cold (4°C for 24h), heat (55°C for 5 min), and desiccation (cells were dried at 40°C for 2h and held at 21°C for 4 d) stresses on susceptibility of five isolated ..
- Quality by design approach in the optimization of the spray-drying processArnaud Baldinger
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Pharmaceutics and Analytical Chemistry, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Pharm Dev Technol 17:389-97. 2012..The aim of this study was to illustrate the influence of the processing parameters, inlet temperature, atomization air flow rate and feed flow rate, on critical quality attributes of spray-dried powders using design of experiments (DoE)...
- Characterization of enzymatic antioxidants in the lichen Ramalina lacera and their response to rehydrationLior Weissman
Department of Plant Sciences, George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:6508-14. 2005..The lifestyle of most lichens is composed of alternating periods of desiccation with low metabolic activity and hydration that induces increase in their metabolism...
- Mechanisms to avoid photoinhibition in a desiccation-tolerant cyanobacterium, Nostoc communeShin ya Fukuda
Department of Life Science, Graduate School of Life Science, University of Hyogo, 3 2 1 Kouto, Kamigori cho, Ako gun, Hyogo, 678 1297 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 49:488-92. 2008A desiccation-tolerant cyanobacterium, Nostoc commune, shows unique responses to dehydration...
- Membrane phase behavior of Escherichia coli during desiccation, rehydration, and growth recoveryCally M Scherber
Biology Program, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55445, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1788:2427-35. 2009..phase behavior, as identified by membrane phase transition temperature (T(m)), of Escherichia coli during desiccation and rehydration. Extensive cell desiccation (1 week at 20%-40% RH) resulted in an increase in T(m) from 8.4+/-1...
- Impact of body melanisation on desiccation resistance in montane populations of D. melanogaster: Analysis of seasonal variationRavi Parkash
Department of Genetics, Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak, India
J Insect Physiol 55:898-908. 2009..localities of subtropical regions, winter is the dry season and ectothermic drosophilids are expected to evolve desiccation resistance to cope with drier climatic conditions. An analysis of six montane populations (600-2226m) of D...
- Photosynthetic recovery following desiccation of desert green algae (Chlorophyta) and their aquatic relativesDennis W Gray
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269 3043, USA
Plant Cell Environ 30:1240-55. 2007..We examined the photorecovery of phylogenetically matched desert and aquatic algae after desiccation in darkness and under illumination...
- Exploring the mechanism of Physcomitrella patens desiccation tolerance through a proteomic strategyXiao Qin Wang
College of Life Sciences, Capital Normal University, Beijing 100048, China
Plant Physiol 149:1739-50. 2009The moss Physcomitrella patens has been shown to tolerate abiotic stresses, including salinity, cold, and desiccation. To better understand this plant's mechanism of desiccation tolerance, we have applied cellular and proteomic analyses...
- Phylogenetic analyses in cornus substantiate ancestry of xylem supercooling freezing behavior and reveal lineage of desiccation related proteinsDale T Karlson
Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 1165, USA
Plant Physiol 135:1654-65. 2004..Dehydrin-like proteins were limited to neither nonsupercooling species nor to those that possess extreme freeze tolerance...
- Fertilization and development in vitro of bovine oocytes following intracytoplasmic injection of heat-dried sperm headsKyung Bon Lee
Department of Animal Science, The Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University, Okayama 700 8530, Japan
Biol Reprod 74:146-52. 2006..These results demonstrate that bovine oocytes can be fertilized with heat-dried spermatozoa and that the fertilized oocytes can develop at least to the blastocyst stage...
- Physiological responses of the halophilic archaeon Halobacterium sp. strain NRC1 to desiccation and gamma irradiationMolly Kottemann
Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics, University of Maryland, 3221 H J Patterson Hall, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Extremophiles 9:219-27. 2005We report that the halophilic archaeon Halobacterium sp. strain NRC-1 is highly resistant to desiccation, high vacuum and 60Co gamma irradiation. Halobacterium sp...
- Microbial communities in streambed sediments recovering from desiccationJürgen Marxsen
Limnologische Fluss Station des Max Planck Instituts für Limnologie, Schlitz, Germany
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 71:374-86. 2010..Here, much more intense drying resulted in a more distinct change and reduction of the microbial community, responsible for slower recovery of structure and functions...
- Catalytic and chaperone-like functions in an intrinsically disordered protein associated with desiccation toleranceSohini Chakrabortee
Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, Institute of Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QT, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:16084-9. 2010..We show here that anhydrin is a moonlighting protein with two novel, independent functions relating to desiccation tolerance...
- Late embryogenesis abundant proteins protect human hepatoma cells during acute desiccationShumin Li
Division of Cellular, Developmental, and Integrative Biology, Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:20859-64. 2012Expression of late embryogenesis abundant (LEA) proteins is highly correlated with desiccation tolerance in anhydrobiotic animals, selected land plants, and bacteria...
- Phenomic and transcriptomic analyses reveal that autophagy plays a major role in desiccation tolerance in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeSooraj Ratnakumar
Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, Institute of Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QT, UK
Mol Biosyst 7:139-49. 2011Saccharomyces cerevisiae can survive extreme desiccation, but the molecular mechanisms are poorly understood...
- Desiccation of adhering and biofilm Listeria monocytogenes on stainless steel: Survival and transfer to salmon productsLisbeth Truelstrup Hansen
Food Science Program, Department of Process Engineering and Applied Science, Dalhousie University, 1360 Barrington Street, Halifax, NS B3J2X4, Canada
Int J Food Microbiol 146:88-93. 2011..The objective of this study was to examine survival during desiccation (43% RH and 15 °C) of biofilm L...
- A cDNA-based comparison of dehydration-induced proteins (dehydrins) in barley and cornT J Close
CSIRO Division of Plant Industry, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Plant Mol Biol 13:95-108. 1989..The amino acid sequence of tryptic peptides from purified dehydration-induced proteins of corn established that the corn cDNAs correspond to a protein that is produced in abundance during the response of corn seedlings to dehydration...
- Detection of Puumala and Rift Valley Fever virus by quantitative RT-PCR and virus viability tests in samples of blood dried and stored on filter paperJonas Näslund
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Division of Infectious Diseases, Umea University, SE 901 85 Umea, Sweden
J Virol Methods 178:186-90. 2011..This approach might facilitate sampling and analysis of other RNA viruses from human or animal sources and could be used for field studies in remote areas or in developing countries...
- Resistance and resilience of benthic biofilm communities from a temperate saltmarsh to desiccation and rewettingBoyd A McKew
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, UK
ISME J 5:30-41. 2011Periods of desiccation and rewetting are regular, yet stressful events encountered by saltmarsh microbial communities...
- β-Aminobutyric acid increases abscisic acid accumulation and desiccation tolerance and decreases water use but fails to improve grain yield in two spring wheat cultivars under soil dryingYan lei DU
State Key Laboratory of Grassland Agroecosystem, Institute of Arid Agroecology, School of Life Sciences, Lanzhou University Lanzhou 730000, Gansu Province China
J Exp Bot 63:4849-60. 2012..soil drying, and its relationship with the accumulation of abscisic acid (ABA), water use, grain yield, and desiccation tolerance in two spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L...
- Dehydrin metabolism is altered during seed osmopriming and subsequent germination under chilling and desiccation in Spinacia oleracea L. cv. Bloomsdale: possible role in stress toleranceKeting Chen
Department of Horticulture, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011 1100, USA
Plant Sci 183:27-36. 2012..e. chilling and desiccation) in spinach (Spinacia oleracea L. cv. Bloomsdale) seeds...
- Multiple dissipation components of excess light energy in dry lichen revealed by ultrafast fluorescence study at 5 KHirohisa Miyake
Division of Material Science Physics, Graduate School of Science, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464 8602, Japan
Photosynth Res 110:39-48. 2011..to the emergence of a rapid quenching state in the peripheral-antenna system of photosystem II (PS II) on desiccation. This is an extremely effective protection mechanism of PS II under desiccation, which lichens have developed ..
- Trehalose protects corneal epithelial cells from death by dryingT Matsuo
Department of Ophthalmology, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama City 700 8558, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 85:610-2. 2001This study was designed to examine whether trehalose could protect corneal epithelial cells in culture from death by desiccation in order to test trehalose as a potential new eye drop for dry eye syndrome.
- Photoprotection of green plants: a mechanism of ultra-fast thermal energy dissipation in desiccated lichensUlrich Heber
Julius von Sachs Institut fur Biowissenschaften, Universitat Wurzburg, Julius von Sachs Platz 2, 97082 Wurzburg, Germany
Planta 228:641-50. 2008In order to survive sunlight in the absence of water, desiccation-tolerant green plants need to be protected against photooxidation...
- Changes in body melanisation and desiccation resistance in highland vs. lowland populations of D. melanogasterRavi Parkash
Department of Biochemistry and Genetics, Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak 124001, India
J Insect Physiol 54:1050-6. 2008..samples of Drosophila melanogaster from five highland localities showed parallel changes in melanisation and desiccation resistance in darker versus lighter phenotypes, i.e...
- Nitric oxide enhances desiccation tolerance of recalcitrant Antiaris toxicaria seeds via protein S-nitrosylation and carbonylationXuegui Bai
Key Laboratory of Biodiversity and Biogeography, Institute of Tibet Plateau Research at Kunming, Chinese Academy of Science, Kunming, China
PLoS ONE 6:e20714. 2011..ascorbate-glutathione cycle can be used for the detoxification of ROS, but their roles in the seed response to desiccation remain poorly understood...
- Lubricating agents differ in their protection of cultured human epithelial cells against desiccationKatharina Paulsen
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Ferdinand Sauerbruch Strasse, Greifswald, Germany
Med Sci Monit 14:PI12-16. 2008..In dry eye, as a disease of the ocular surface, the instillation of artificial tears should compensate for the deficit in wetting and protect the mucosa against drying...
- Bead layering as a process to stabilize nanosuspensions: influence of drug hydrophobicity on nanocrystal reagglomeration following in-vitro release from sugar beadsPieterjan Kayaert
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Laboratory for Pharmacotechnology and Biopharmacy, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Pharm Pharmacol 63:1446-53. 2011..The second aim was to see how those physicochemical properties affect the coating process and the subsequent in-vitro dissolution process...
- Patterns in fish radiation are compatible with Pleistocene desiccation of Lake Victoria and 14,600 year history for its cichlid species flockOle Seehausen
Department of Biological Sciences, Molecular and Evolutionary Ecology Group, University of Hull, Hull HU6 7RX, UK
Proc Biol Sci 269:491-7. 2002Geophysical data are currently being interpreted as evidence for a late Pleistocene desiccation of Lake Victoria and its refilling 14,600 years ago...
- Entrapment of conjunctival goblet cells by desiccation-induced cornificationRosa Maria Corrales
Ocular Surface Center, Cullen Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:3492-9. 2011..To evaluate the effects of desiccating stress on conjunctival goblet cell density and morphology and the expression of cornified envelope precursors by the ocular surface epithelia...
- From Avicennia to Zizania: seed recalcitrance in perspectivePatricia Berjak
School of Biological and Conservation Sciences, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
Ann Bot 101:213-28. 2008Considered only in terms of tolerance of, or sensitivity to, desiccation (which is an oversimplification), orthodox seeds are those which tolerate dehydration and are storable in this condition, while highly recalcitrant seeds are ..
- Spectacular improvement of X-ray diffraction through fast desiccation of protein crystalsChantal Abergel
Information Genomique et Structurale, UPR2589 CNRS, IBSM, 31 Chemin Joseph Aiguier, 13402 Marseille, Cedex 20, France
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 60:1413-6. 2004..In addition to being a 'last resort' procedure for experimentalists struggling with non-diffracting crystals, this puzzling effect constitutes one more challenging problem for theoretical protein crystallographers...
- Curling during desiccation protects the foliose lichen Lobaria pulmonaria against photoinhibitionMilos Barták
Department of Plant Physiology and Anatomy, Masaryk University, Kotlarska 2, 61137, Brno, Czech Republic
Oecologia 149:553-60. 2006This study aims to assess the photoprotective potential of desiccation-induced curling in the light-susceptible old forest lichen Lobaria pulmonaria by using chlorophyll fluorescence imaging...
- Analysis of desiccation-induced candidate phosphoproteins from Craterostigma plantagineum isolated with a modified metal oxide affinity chromatography procedureHorst Rohrig
Institute of Molecular Physiology and Biotechnology of Plants, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Proteomics 8:3548-60. 2008..indicates that this post-translational modification is also involved in the complex process of acquisition of desiccation tolerance...
- The effect of respiratory pattern on water loss in desiccation-resistant Drosophila melanogasterA E Williams
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Irvine 92697, USA
J Exp Biol 201:2953-9. 1998..release from individual fruit flies from five populations of Drosophila melanogaster selected for resistance to desiccation (D flies)...
- Further optimization of mouse spermatozoa evaporative drying techniquesHeidi Y Elmoazzen
Center for Engineering in Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Shriners Hospital for Children, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cryobiology 59:113-5. 2009..In previous desiccation work, dried sperm were stored in a vacuum-sealed plastic bag placed in a vacuum-packed Mylar bag...
- Dried blood spot HIV-1 RNA quantification using open real-time systems in South Africa and Burkina FasoJohannes Viljoen
Africa Center for Health and Population Studies, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 55:290-8. 2010..Our findings strongly advocate the implementation of DBS HIV-1 RNA testing in remote areas from low-income and middle-income countries...
- Slow desiccation leads to high-frequency shoot recovery from transformed somatic embryos of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L. cv. Coker 310 FR)B Chaudhary
Department of Genetics, University of Delhi South Campus, Benito Juarez Road, 110021 New Delhi, India
Plant Cell Rep 21:955-60. 2003..embryos were converted to plantlets was significantly improved by subjecting the embryos to slow physical desiccation. We used Agrobacterium strain GV3101 containing the binary vector pGSFR with the nos-nptII gene for in vitro ..
- Long-term storage limits PCR-based analyses of malaria parasites in archival dried blood spotsJoyce Hwang
Shoklo Malaria Research Unit, Mae Sot, Tak Province, Thailand
Malar J 11:339. 2012..However, the suitability of the template obtained from dried blood spots that have been stored for long periods for DNA amplification is not known...
- Desiccation tolerance of five tropical seedlings in panama. Relationship to a field assessment of drought performanceMelvin T Tyree
United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service, P O Box 968, Burlington, Vermont 05402, USA
Plant Physiol 132:1439-47. 2003Studies of the desiccation tolerance of the seedlings of five tropical trees were made on potted plants growing in a greenhouse...
- Gefarnate stimulates secretion of mucin-like glycoproteins by corneal epithelium in vitro and protects corneal epithelium from desiccation in vivoM Nakamura
Nara Research and Development Center, Santen Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Nara, Japan
Exp Eye Res 65:569-74. 1997..Corneal epithelial damage from desiccation was evaluated based on the extent of methylene blue staining...
- Glutathione half-cell reduction potential: a universal stress marker and modulator of programmed cell death?Ilse Kranner
Seed Conservation Department, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Wakehurst Place, West Sussex RH17 6TN, UK
Free Radic Biol Med 40:2155-65. 2006..We show in four species subjected to ageing or desiccation that seed viability decreased by 50% when the half-cell reduction potential of glutathione (E(GSSG/2GSH)), a ..
- MAPK phosphorylation is implicated in the adaptation to desiccation stress in nematodesMatthew C Banton
Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3RA, UK
J Exp Biol 215:4288-98. 2012Some nematodes can survive almost complete desiccation by entering an ametabolic state called anhydrobiosis requiring the accumulation of protective molecules such as trehalose and LEA proteins...
- Pleistocene desiccation in East Africa bottlenecked but did not extirpate the adaptive radiation of Lake Victoria haplochromine cichlid fishesKathryn R Elmer
Lehrstuhl fur Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie, Department of Biology, University of Konstanz, 78457 Konstanz, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13404-9. 2009..Paleolimnological evidence indicates dramatic desiccation of this lake ca. 18,000-15,000 years ago...
- Ionizing-radiation resistance in the desiccation-tolerant cyanobacterium ChroococcidiopsisD Billi
Department of Biological Science, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida 32306 1100, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 66:1489-92. 2000..The radiation resistance of Chroococcidiopsis strains may reflect the ability of these cyanobacteria to survive prolonged desiccation through efficient repair of the DNA damage that accumulates during dehydration.
- QTLs and candidate genes for desiccation and abscisic acid content in maize kernelsValérie Capelle
Univ Paris Sud, Institut de Biotechnologie des Plantes, Bat 630, F 91405 Orsay, France
BMC Plant Biol 10:2. 2010..To provide some insight into the genetic determinism of kernel desiccation in maize, quantitative trait loci (QTLs) were detected for traits related to kernel moisture and ABA content in ..
- Increased corneal hydration induced by potential ocular penetration enhancers: assessment by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and by desiccationD Monti
Department of Bioorganic Chemistry and Biopharmaceutics, University of Pisa, Via Bonanno 33, I 56126, Pisa, Italy
Int J Pharm 232:139-47. 2002..these agents; corneal hydration was then evaluated by measuring: (a) their total (free+bound) water content by desiccation (gravimetric analysis); and (b) their free water content by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC)...
- Antioxidants and photoprotection in a lichen as compared with its isolated symbiotic partnersIlse Kranner
Institute of Plant Sciences, Karl Franzens University of Graz, Schubertstrasse 51, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:3141-6. 2005Extreme desiccation and irradiation increase the formation of reactive oxygen species in organisms...
- The LEA-like protein HSP 12 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae has a plasma membrane location and protects membranes against desiccation and ethanol-induced stressK Sales
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cape Town, Private Bag, Rondebosch, South Africa
Biochim Biophys Acta 1463:267-78. 2000..encapsulating the fluorescent dye calcein was used to investigate the protection by HSP 12 of membranes during desiccation. HSP 12 was found to act in an analogous manner to trehalose and protect liposomal membrane integrity against ..
- Global response to desiccation stress in the soil actinomycete Rhodococcus jostii RHA1Justin C LeBlanc
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Life Sciences Institute, University of British Columbia, 2350 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3, Canada
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:2627-36. 2008..Here we report the first transcriptomic analysis of a gram-positive bacterium during desiccation. Filtered RHA1 cells incubated at either low relative humidity (20%), as an air-drying treatment, or high ..
- The desert of Tataouine: an extreme environment that hosts a wide diversity of microorganisms and radiotolerant bacteriaAngélique Chanal
LEMIR, DEVM, DSV, UMR 6191 CNRS CEA Université Aix Marseille II, IFR 112, CEA Cadarache, F 13108 Saint Paul lez Durance, France
Environ Microbiol 8:514-25. 2006..A correlation between tolerance to desiccation and to radiation has been demonstrated for the radiotolerant bacteria Deinococcus radiodurans...
- Hydroxyectoine is superior to trehalose for anhydrobiotic engineering of Pseudomonas putida KT2440M Manzanera
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1QT, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:4328-33. 2002Anhydrobiotic engineering aims to increase the level of desiccation tolerance in sensitive organisms to that observed in true anhydrobiotes...
- Evaluation of different RNA extraction methods and storage conditions of dried plasma or blood spots for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 RNA quantification and PCR amplification for drug resistance testingMarjorie Monleau
UMR 145, Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, and University of Montpellier 1, Montpellier, France
J Clin Microbiol 47:1107-18. 2009..DBS could be used as an alternative for DPS depending on HIV RNA cutoffs for virological failure. VL measurements remain stable over a longer period than do PCR amplification results...
- Conversion of nanosuspensions into dry powders by spray drying: a case studyMahesh V Chaubal
Baxter Healthcare Corporation, Route 120 and Wilson Rd, Round Lake, Illinois 60073, USA
Pharm Res 25:2302-8. 2008..This case study examines impact of various formulation and processing parameters on redispersibility of the spray dried nanoparticles...
- Novel Bacillus subtilis based spore vaccine to tuberculosisSubramanian Dhandayuthapani; Fiscal Year: 2013..spores are dormant and rugged, and maintain their integrity under extreme conditions, including low pH, desiccation, UV irradiation and temperatures of up to 90oC...
- Interactions between Bacterial Tyrosine Kinases and PhosphatasesRanajeet Ghose; Fiscal Year: 2013..be ascertained by assaying cells expressing mutant proteins for polysaccharide synthesis and survival under desiccation. We expect that our present studies, limited to the E...
- Regulatory Circuits Controlling Development of Dormant Microbial CystsCARL EUGENE BAUER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Cysts are metabolically dormant resting cells that are extremely resistant to desiccation as well as to growth inhibitors such as to antibiotics...
- Polyamine-dependent regulation of Vibrio cholerae biofilm formationEce Karatan; Fiscal Year: 2011..Biofilm bacteria are more tolerant to environmental stresses such as UV radiation, desiccation, low pH, antimicrobials, and the immune defenses of the human host. This tolerance protects V...
- Sex, sex steroids and dry eye syndromesDavid A Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Tear film dysfunction, in turn, may severely impact the eye and lead to desiccation, ulceration and perforation of the cornea, an increased incidence of infectious disease, and pronounced visual ..
- Peptidoglycan synthesis during sporulationJonathan Dworkin; Fiscal Year: 2012..contains a thick layer of peptidoglycan, the spore cortex, which is largely responsible for its heat and desiccation resistance...
- Drying, Storing and Reanimating Egg Germinal Vesicles to Preserve FertilityPierre Comizzoli; Fiscal Year: 2013..The general hypothesis is that desiccation and storage at room temperature can preserve the structural and functional integrity of the germinal vesicle...
- Functional Analysis and Systems Biology of Filamentous FungiJay C Dunlap; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will focus on two key triggers of asexual development: light and desiccation. In addition, we will leverage our prior successes to expand systematic knockouts to an additional prominent ..
- Identification of bacteria-associated cues that regulate hatching of Aedes aegyptLoganathan Ponnusamy; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aedes aegypti is a peri-domestic species that lays desiccation- resistant eggs in water-filled human-made containers...
- Prolactin as a lacrimal gland immunomodulatorJoel Schechter; Fiscal Year: 2009..Specific Aim 4 tests the hypothesis that homeostatic states associated with certain endocrine settings cause desiccation or trauma at the ocular surface to elicit exaggerated inflammatory responses
- Regulation of akinete differentiation in Nostoc punctiformeMichael L Summers; Fiscal Year: 2013..Akinetes can withstand environmental stress, such as desiccation and cold that kill normal vegetative cells within the filament...
- Interrogation of systems level mechanisms controlling DNA repair processesNitin S Baliga; Fiscal Year: 2010..This halophilic archaeon routinely mitigates damage from high salinity, UV radiation and desiccation-rehydration cycles...
- A Pragmatic Trial of Lumbar Image Reporting with Epidemiology (LIRE)Jeffrey G Jarvik; Fiscal Year: 2012..without back pain, magnetic resonance (MR) imaging of the lumbar spine frequently reveals findings such as disc desiccation or bulging...
- Cuticular proteins of Anopheles gambiaeJudith Willis; Fiscal Year: 2013..Other laboratories have implicated the cuticular proteins of Anopheles in insecticide and desiccation resistance, in mate recognition, and in being synthesized in response to a blood meal...
- Toll-Like Receptor and Dry Eye Inflammation and InfectionRACHEL LEIGH REDFERN; Fiscal Year: 2013..colonization via the production of antimicrobial peptides (AMPs) when the ocular surface is compromised from desiccation. This scenario is consistent with the clinical presentation of DES, as concomitant microbial infections are ..
- Seasonal Adaptation of a Circadian ClockIsaac Edery; Fiscal Year: 2013..to decreases in per RNA levels, events that prolong midday siesta and likely minimize the risks associated with desiccation during the hot midday hours. Recent progress indicates that multiple suboptimal splicing signals [i.e...
- Seasonal Adaptation of a Circadian ClockIsaac Edery; Fiscal Year: 2009..accumulation of per RNA levels, events that enhance midday siesta and likely minimize the risks associated with desiccation during the hot midday hours. Recent progress indicates that multiple suboptimal splicing signals [i.e...
- Mathematical Modeling of Cell Biopreservation by DesiccationSTEPHEN HOWARD DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2011..mathematical investigation of the key processes governing biopreservation of cells by vitrification and desiccation. The research will be focused on the formation of a glassy state in biological solutions and the interaction of ..
- Biochemistry of Chorion Hardening in MosquitoesJianyong Li; Fiscal Year: 2005..Therefore, the ability to resist desiccation and other adverse environmental conditions is critical for the survival of these eggs...
- Preserving Platelets for storage and transportation using a novel desiccation proDavid H Ho; Fiscal Year: 2012..technology involves cell specific dehydration and rehydration buffering reagents coupled with vacuum assisted desiccation. A documented protocol for erythrocytes has been established and dried red cells are available in limited ..
- Funtion of Uncharacterized Genes of Acinetobacter baumaniiSamuel I Miller; Fiscal Year: 2013..use expression analysis to identify genes and sRNAs of unknown function associated with drug, disinfectant, and desiccation tolerance (Carrie Harwood, Project 3 Director)...
- EXERCISE--EFFECTS ON ETOH IMPAIRMENT OF BEHAVIOR IN MICESANDRA MOLLENAUER; Fiscal Year: 1993..will be obtained by assessing effects of prior exercise on 1) body composition (body water determined by desiccation), 2) blood EtOH concentration (BEC) at regaining of the righting response (RORR), and 3) EtOH clearance rate ..
- REGULATION OF SYNTHESIS OF A HORMONE INDUCED PROTEINGLENN GALAU; Fiscal Year: 1991..include the plant hormone abscisic acid and probably events related to incipient dehydration prior to full desiccation of the mature seed...
- Perpetuation of Francisella tularensisSam R Telford; Fiscal Year: 2010..Taken together, these observations will provide a basis for understanding how the agent of tularemia is perpetuated on Martha's Vineyard, and why pneumonic human disease is prevalent there. ..
- STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF HUMAN SALIVARY MUCINSGwynneth Offner; Fiscal Year: 2009..MG2 appears to contain a single mucin gene product, MUC7. Mucins protect oral surfaces against desiccation, lubricate hard and soft tissues to facilitate mastication, speech and swallowing and form a selectively ..
- Identification of T Cell Antigen For Q Fever VaccinationJames Samuel; Fiscal Year: 2009..Human infection arises primarily from aerosol transmission and C. burnetii can withstand desiccation and remain infectious in contaminated soils for several years...
- TREHALOSE METABOLISM IN METHYLOTROPHIC YEASTEDWARD BELLION; Fiscal Year: 1993..In bakers' yeast it is synthesized in response to starvation and heat shock and also protects against desiccation, whereas in bacteria it plays critical role as an osmoprotectant, and is rapidly synthesized when cells are ..
- NEUROENDOCRINE REGULATION OF WATER BALANCE IN INSECTSJEFFREY SPRING; Fiscal Year: 1991..Because of their small size and large surface area, insects are extremely vulnerable to desiccation and studies of the endocrine control of excretion may, therefore, lead the way towards development of very ..
- CHARACTERIZATION OF B ANTHRACIS EXOSPORIUM PROTEINSCHARLES TURNBOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2004..The spore's resistance to extreme temperatures, noxious chemicals, desiccation, and physical damage make it suitable for incorporation into explosive weapons and for concealment in terrorist ..
- Preservation of Embryonic Stem Cells in Desiccated StateMehmet Toner; Fiscal Year: 2007..Although cell stasis is routinely achieved in nature by anhydrobiotic organisms through desiccation at ambient temperatures, the only existing strategy for long term storage of mammalian cells is ..
- WHOLE GENOME SEQUENCING OF COXIELLA BURNETTIJohn Heidelberg; Fiscal Year: 2000..Additionally, the genome will be annotated by computer techniques to identify all open reading frames (ORFs) and relate as many ORFs as possible to proteins of known function. ..
- High and Low Frequency Scanning Acoustic MicroscopesPaulette Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2002..environment reduces the potential for introducing artifacts in those biological specimens that are sensitive to desiccation. The high and low frequency SAM would be a shared resource and a cadre of 5 NIH-funded scientists have been ..
- EVOLUTION OF DURABILITY IN EMERGING BACTERIAL PATHOGENSTHOMAS WHITTAM; Fiscal Year: 2000..2) to investigate the evolution of the components of durability (acid, salt, and heat tolerance, resistance to desiccation) and their correlated change with selection for single resistance factors; (3) to quantify variation in ..
- Cellular Engineering for Metabolic StasisMehmet Toner; Fiscal Year: 2007..many animals and organisms down regulate their metabolism and may enter into a state of stasis by either desiccation through removal of water from their cells (i.e...
- ROLE OF IRON-OXO CLUSTERS IN FATTY ACID DESATURATIONBrian Fox; Fiscal Year: 2007..The potential of using related molecules to inactivate other position-specific desaturases will be determined. ..
- The Contact Lens and Dry Eye StudyJason Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2006..Contact lens-related dry eye may severely impact ocular health by leading to desiccation of the corneal epithelium or an increased incidence of infectious disease...
- AN IMPROVED WOUND DRESSING SUITABLE FOR BURN TREATMENTMARK DILLON; Fiscal Year: 1992..The same dressing will decrease its vapor permeability when exudate decreases, thus avoiding wound desiccation. This Phase I project will begin with prototype production, continue with in vitro and in vivo testing, and ..
- GENETICALLY POSTPONED SENESCENCE IN DROSOPHILAMichael Rose; Fiscal Year: 1991..done by artificial selection on characters which enhance adult survival, specifically resistance to starvation, desiccation, and low-levels of ambient ethanol...
- SUSTAINED GENE TRANSFER FOR CHRONIC WOUND HEALINGWeiliam Chen; Fiscal Year: 2000..of chronic topical wounds requires multiple interventions and thus predisposes patients to discomforts, desiccation and infection which are detrimental to wound healing...
- Physiological response of Escherichia coli to temperature and desiccation stressSUSAN BORNSTEINFORST; Fiscal Year: 2008..2 investigates the induction and modulation of two physiological responses that may confer protection against desiccation stress in sand; namely trehalose synthesis and shifts in porin protein expression...
- ANIMAL MODELS OF COLD AIR-INDUCED AIRWAY DISEASEMichael Davis; Fiscal Year: 2004Inspired air is conditioned (warmed and humidified) by the upper airways to prevent cooling and desiccation of the lung parenchyma...
- NCRR Training Grant for Veterinary Students in ResearchMichael Davis; Fiscal Year: 2006..Over a three-year period this program will contribute nine comparative medical scientists with veterinary medical degrees who are well trained in animal-oriented, hypothesis-based research. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Veterinary Comparative Respiratory Society 2008 SymposiumMichael Davis; Fiscal Year: 2008..This symposium will review the current knowledge and practical challenges of these models in order to make them more accessible to the biomedical research community. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Determinants of the Durability of Resin-Dentin BondsDavid Pashley; Fiscal Year: 2006..This should provide important new insight into designing more durable resin-dentin bonds that can justify the placement of resin-based posterior composites. ..
- CONTROLLED-RELEASE SEALANT TO PREVENT SECONDARY CARIESKenneth Anusavice; Fiscal Year: 2004..mutans, site specific levels of S. mutans at the margins of amalgam and composite restorations, and the width of marginal crevices adjacent to amalgam and composite restorations). ..
- Epigenetic Regulation of Gene ExpressionRobert Martienssen; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is in a cross-disciplinary environment such as this that intellectual leaps occur and innovative ideas flourish. ..
- Library-based selection of optimal gene inhibitorsSERGEI KAZAKOV; Fiscal Year: 2003..In this way, optimized Lassos will be derived in an automatic and straightforward manner for application as agents for target validation, gene function analysis, and therapeutics. ..
- Amplification of Custom RNA in PlantsSERGEI KAZAKOV; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our current business strategy is to sell custom RNA in partnership with Large Scale Biology Corp. and license the technology to certain other manufacturers. ..
- SPECIES BOUNDARIES IN THE ANOPHELES GAMBIAE COMPLEXNora Besansky; Fiscal Year: 2003..gambiae and An. arabiensis sister taxa? (2) How much gene flow is occurring between them, and which genomic regions are susceptible? (3) How much gene flow is occurring between chromosomal forms of An. gambiae? ..
- CRYOPRESERVATION OF ARTICULAR CARTILAGE BY VITRIFICATIONKelvin Brockbank; Fiscal Year: 2003..The U.S. market for cartilage repair products is predicted to exceed 90,000 units and $248 million in the near future. ..
- Genetics of Anopheles funestus populationsNora Besansky; Fiscal Year: 2005..funestus become possible ..
- Safety Pharmacokinetics & Efficacy of Artemether & Lumefantrine in Pregnant WomenMark Mirochnick; Fiscal Year: 2008..The data from this planned study will provide the information needed to ensure that pregnant women receive the appropriate doses of these anti-malaria drugs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Contrasting environmental and genetic controls of alternative phenotypesJENNIFER BRISSON; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project aims to illuminate basic rules acting to integrate environmental and genetic signals in the production of the phenotype. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Elevated potassium ion in lacrimal fluid and the health of the ocular surfaceJohn Ubels; Fiscal Year: 2009..If the high potassium in tears is important for the health of the ocular surface, this information will be useful in the development of improved treatments for dry eye disease. ..
- Lactate Transport as a Therapeutic Target in GliomaSAROJ PRIYANTHA MATHUPALA; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, we need new ways to target this deadly cancer. We plan to test a novel method to "pickle-the-tumor-to-death," while leaving healthy brain cells intact. ..
- The effect of oxidative stress on muscle damage and functional senesence.Jason Williams; Fiscal Year: 2008..This research will provide insight into muscle aging in humans and mechanisms underlying muscular diseases associated with oxidative stress. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Topical Antibiotics to Prevent Lyme DiseaseGary Wormser; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Antiretroviral Pharmacology/Lactating Mother/InfantsMark Mirochnick; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information is needed for the safe and effective use of antiretrovirals in nursing women, and will pioneer a novel approach to the study of breast milk drug transfer. ..
- Methylmercury toxicity in neural developmentMATTHEW RAND; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information will help direct strategies for prevention of MeHg toxicity, for example through pharmacologic administration of protease inhibitors. ..
- A new method for multiplex detection of micro-RNAs (miR-ID)SERGEI KAZAKOV; Fiscal Year: 2008..The method of micro-RNA detection has novel features that promise better sensitivity and selectivity than other micro-RNA assays currently available. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..