Summary: Investigative techniques used in pre-clinical and clinical research, epidemiology, chemistry, immunology, genetics, etc. They do not include techniques specifically applied to DIAGNOSIS; THERAPEUTICS; anesthesia and analgesia; SURGICAL PROCEDURES, OPERATIVE; and DENTISTRY.
- [Mechanism of action of antilipemic drugs]E Bruckert
Service d'Endocrinologie, , Paris
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 85:109-12. 1992..These last analyses are generally much more complex. Despite recent advances in all these investigative techniques, the mechanisms of action of many lipid lowering drugs remain obscure...
- Added value of PET and PET-CT in oesophageal cancer: a review of current practiceSobhan Vinjamuri
Nuclear Medicine Department, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, UK
Nucl Med Commun 29:4-10. 2008..In this article, we review the role of commonly used investigative techniques in the diagnosis and staging of oesophageal carcinoma, with special emphasis on PET and PET-CT scanning...
- The effects of botulinum toxin type A on muscle blood perfusion and metabolismDamir B Matic
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Western Ontario, Canada
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:1823-33. 2007..This information may give insight into the additional effects botulinum toxin A may have on muscle. The authors assessed the influence of botulinum toxin A on the metabolism of muscle using dynamic investigative techniques.
- Raman microspectrometry sulfur detection and characterization in the marine ectosymbiotic nematode Eubostrichus dianae (Desmodoridae, Stilbonematidae)David Himmel
GTSI Université des Antilles et de la Guyane, UFR des Sciences Exactes et Naturelles, Département de Physique B P 592 97159 Pointe à Pitre Cedex, Guadeloupe, France
Biol Cell 101:43-54. 2009..The symbiotic bacteria carrying out this chemosynthesis should contain elemental sulfur in periplasmic granules as sulfur granules of chemoautotrophic endosymbionts described in various marine invertebrates...
- Neuroimaging and disorders of consciousness: envisioning an ethical research agendaJoseph J Fins
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Am J Bioeth 8:3-12. 2008..Our goal was to develop an ethical frame to move these investigative techniques into mature clinical tools...
- Cervical artery dissection: a 5-year prospective study in the Belluno districtN Cimini
Department of Neurology, S Martino Hospital, Belluno, Italy
Eur Neurol 52:207-10. 2004..The aim of this study was to collect epidemiological data on artery dissection in a hospital-based community, set up a diagnostic protocol and discover outcome predictors...
- Adhesion to tooth structure: a critical review of "micro" bond strength test methodsSteve Armstrong
Department of Operative Dentistry, University of Iowa College of Dentistry, 229 Dental Science Bldg S, Iowa City, IA 52242 1001, USA
Dent Mater 26:e50-62. 2010..both "micro" and "macro" bond strength tests will, as well as various morphological and spectroscopic investigative techniques, continue to be important tools for improving resin-tooth adhesion to increase the service life of dental ..
- A Sequence of events model of episodic memory shows parallels in rats and humansTimothy A Allen
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, Center for the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, University of California, Irvine, California
Hippocampus 24:1178-88. 2014..As addressing this important issue will require converging evidence from complementary investigative techniques, we developed a cross-species, nonspatial sequence memory task suitable for behavioral and ..
- Cystometry techniques in female infants and childrenJ G Wen
Department of Surgery, Chinese University of Hong Kong
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 11:103-12. 2000..clues as to the underlying bladder dysfunction, and can significantly aid in the choice of appropriate investigative techniques, as well as in the interpretation of subsequent urodynamic findings...
- Small intestinal motilityMichael P Jones
Division of Gastroenterology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 21:141-6. 2005..To review recently published studies presenting novel and relevant information on small intestinal motility in humans and animals...
- The significance of calcium ions on Pseudomonas fluorescens biofilms - a structural and mechanical studyAshkan Safari
a School of Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering, University College Dublin UCD, Belfield, Dublin, Ireland
Biofouling 30:859-69. 2014..Advanced investigative techniques such as confocal laser scanning microscopy and atomic force spectroscopy were employed to characterize ..
- The organization of physiological brain networksC J Stam
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Neurophysiol 123:1067-87. 2012..network studies has increased strongly with the advent of modern network theory and increasingly powerful investigative techniques such as "high-density EEG", MEG, functional and structural MRI...
- Pb speciation versus TCLP release in army firing range soilsD Dermatas
WM Keck Geoenvironmental Laboratory, Center for Environmental Systems, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ 07030, USA
J Hazard Mater 136:34-46. 2006A series of soil parameter and mineralogical investigative techniques were applied to assess the Pb speciation in four US Army firing range soils that presented significantly different Pb leaching regimes and soil characteristics...
- A novel blood group B subgroup: serological and genetic studiesA C Estalote
Departamento de Clínica Médica and Hospital Universitário Clementino Fraga Filho, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rua Lauro Muller 56 203, CEP 22290 160, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Transfus Med 14:173-80. 2004..Serological and DNA investigative techniques were performed...
- Paleoparasitological studies on mummies of the Joseon Dynasty, KoreaMin Seo
Department of Parasitology, Dankook University College of Medicine, Cheonan 330 714, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 52:235-42. 2014Paleoparasitology is the application of conventional or molecular investigative techniques to archeological samples in order to reveal parasitic infection patterns among past populations...
- Juvenile recurrent parotitis in children: diagnosis and treatment using sialographyVanga V Narsimha Rao
Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, GITAM Dental College and Hospital, Rushikonda, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 32:262-5. 2014..such as ultrasonography, computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging-sialography are noninvasive investigative techniques. Recurrent attacks are often managed conservatively. Here we report a case of a 5-year-old child with JRP...
- Imaging applications of synchrotron X-ray phase-contrast microtomography in biological morphology and biomaterials science. I. General aspects of the technique and its advantages in the analysis of millimetre-sized arthropod structureOliver Betz
Zoologisches Institut der Universitat, Abteilung Evolutionsbiologie der Invertebraten, Auf der Morgenstelle 28E, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Microsc 227:51-71. 2007Synchrotron-generated X-rays provide scientists with a multitude of investigative techniques well suited for the analysis of the composition and structure of all types of materials and specimens...
- Good practice guidelines for laboratory investigation of hemoglobinopathiesJohn D Lafferty
Provincial Hemoglobinopathy Laboratory, Hamilton Regional Laboratory Medicine Program, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Lab Hematol 9:237-45. 2003..various tables and figures outlining mean cell volume reference intervals, recommended hemoglobinopathy investigative techniques, recommendations for further investigation of abnormal findings, and algorithms for interpretation of the ..
- Fat crystallisation at oil-water interfacesM Douaire
Chemical Engineering, The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK Electronic address
Adv Colloid Interface Sci 203:1-10. 2014..its effect on lipid crystallisation in emulsions has been limited for a long time by the lack of in-situ investigative techniques. This review also highlights reported interfacial effects in food and pharmaceutical emulsion systems...
- Diagnosis of brachial and lumbosacral plexus lesionsNens van Alfen
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, The Netherlands Electronic address
Handb Clin Neurol 115:293-310. 2013..This chapter provides an overview of both common and rarer brachial and lumbosacral plexus disorders, focusing on clinical examination, the use of additional investigative techniques, prognosis, and treatment.
- Epilepsy surgery in childhoodJ Helen Cross
Neuroscience Unit, The Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, and National Centre for Young People for Epilepsy, Lingfield, England
Epilepsia 43:65-70. 2002Epilepsy surgery in childhood can now be more readily considered as a result of enhanced presurgical investigative techniques and safer neurosurgical practice...
- Symposium part IV: investigative approaches to endocervical pathologyMichael Wells
Division of Genomic Medicine, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
Int J Gynecol Pathol 21:360-7. 2002..b>Investigative techniques may be applied as aids to diagnosis, as prognostic markers, and to further our understanding of ..
- Third heart sound: genesis and clinical importanceNirav J Mehta
Division of Cardiology, Creighton University School of Medicine, 3006 Webster Street, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
Int J Cardiol 97:183-6. 2004..Sophisticated study of the third heart sound by current investigative techniques has underscored the value of clinical detection with the time-honored stethoscope...
- Cervical cerebral artery dissection: a multicenter prospective study (preliminary report)P Bassi
Department of Neurology, S Carlo Hospital, Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 24:S4-7. 2003..77 years. (range 17-60 years). We evaluated etiology, clinical manifestations, investigative techniques, and treatment...
- [Hereditary retinal pathologies and AMD: new therapeutic perspectives]S Bonnel
Centre Hospitalier National d Ophtalmologie des Quinze Vingts, 28, rue de Charenton, 75012 Paris, France
J Fr Ophtalmol 27:623-33. 2004..Continuous re-evaluation of these investigative techniques will therefore be necessary, a crucial factor in the preparation of multicenter clinical studies...
- [Imaging in low back pain: limits and reflexions]Federico Balagué
Clinique de rhumatologie et Service de médecine physique et rééducation, HFR Fribourg Hôpital Cantonal, 1708 Fribourg
Rev Med Suisse 9:1351-2, 1354-6, 1358-9. 2013..decisions and the effect on quality of life of patients cannot justify an indiscriminate use of these investigative techniques. Without questioning the value of imaging, the practitioner must keep in mind these limitations in order ..
- The elusive clot: the controversy over coronary thrombosis in myocardial infarctionAllen B Weisse
J Hist Med Allied Sci 61:66-78. 2006..Newer investigative techniques can suddenly clarify issues that have previously seemed irresolvable...
- Fluids of the ocular surface: concepts, functions and physicsIvan Cher
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 40:634-43. 2012..lipid film and MAP. (ii) Investigative techniques of physics yield data on (say) surface tension and viscosity, and on functions such as anchorage of ..
- Appendix viriliformis: an intra-abdominal testis and an appendicoileal fistulaP J J Herrod
Gisborne Hospital, New Zealand
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 95:e107-9. 2013When a patient is taken to theatre for a laparotomy, surprises can still be found despite modern investigative techniques. We present the case of two rare abdominal pathologies (an appendicoileal fistula and an intra-abdominal testis ..
- Guidelines for conducting bulletproof workplace investigations: part I--preparation and interviewing issuesMichael S Mitchell
Fisher and Phillips, LLP, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Health Care Manag (Frederick) 31:105-11. 2012..This article provides guidance for managers on how to use proper interview and investigative techniques while avoiding a violation of employees' rights to privacy...
- Advanced EEG analysis using threshold-free cluster-enhancement and non-parametric statisticsArmand Mensen
University of Zurich, Raemistrasse 71, CH 8006, Zurich, Switzerland Clinic Barmelweid, CH 5017, Barmelweid, Switzerland
Neuroimage 67:111-8. 2013Advances in EEG signal analysis and its combination with other investigative techniques make appropriate statistical analysis of large EEG datasets a crucial issue...
- Zebrafish models for human cancerH R Shive
Experimental Transplantation and Immunology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Vet Pathol 50:468-82. 2013..generation time, were quickly superseded by the discovery that zebrafish are amenable to a wide range of investigative techniques, many of which are difficult or impossible to perform in mammalian models...
- [Post-traumatic stress disorder: Clinical aspects and pharmacological approach]Y Auxéméry
Service de Psychiatrie, HIA Legouest, 27, avenue de Plantières, 57077 METZ Cedex 3, France
Rev Med Interne 33:703-8. 2012..In relation to the evolution of investigative techniques, modern wars have highlighted other dissociative and psychotic dimensions of the psycho- and ..
- Advances in the clinical application of Raman spectroscopy for cancer diagnosticsCharlotte Kallaway
Biophotonics Research Unit, Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Great Western Road, Gloucester GL1 3NN, UK
Photodiagnosis Photodyn Ther 10:207-19. 2013..Initial optical biopsy systems have potential to be used as an adjunct to current investigative techniques to improve the targeting of blind biopsy...
- Pyothorax-associated large B-cell lymphoma: case report with emphasis on the potential diagnostic challengeP C W Lui
Department of Pathology, United Christian Hospital, 130 Hip Wo Street, Kwun Tong, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 8:359-62. 2002..of this rare entity, together with diligent histological examination and proper application of ancillary investigative techniques, are essential for making a correct diagnosis...
- A pig model of high altitude pulmonary edemaAxel Kleinsasser
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
High Alt Med Biol 4:465-74. 2003..The pathogenesis of HAPE is not fully elucidated, and many investigative techniques that could provide valuable information are not suitable for use in humans; thus, an animal model is ..
- Diabetic neuropathy: a review emphasizing diagnostic methodsBruce A Perkins
EN 11 209, TGH, University Health Network, University of Toronto, 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4
Clin Neurophysiol 114:1167-75. 2003..Novel investigative techniques are highly promising, but their usefulness in the clinic setting remains limited at this time...
- Myocardial contusion: emergency investigation and diagnosisP Kaye
Emergency Department, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, UK
Emerg Med J 19:8-10. 2002..Despite recent advances in investigative techniques, myocardial trauma remains an important diagnostic and management challenge...
- Identification of the core competencies of board of nursing investigatorsKarla Bitz
North Dakota Board of Nursing, Bismarck, ND 58504, USA
JONAS Healthc Law Ethics Regul 11:127-34. 2009..conduct, knowledge and application of regulatory statutes and rules, and knowledge and application of investigative techniques and processes...
- What is schizophrenia: A neurodevelopmental or neurodegenerative disorder or a combination of both? A critical analysisSwapnil Gupta
Department of Psychiatry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160 012, India
Indian J Psychiatry 52:21-7. 2010..Perspectives have changed drastically with the development of new investigative techniques. Clinical observations made by Kraepelin, Clouston, Bender, and Watt are now being complemented by ..
- Insights into serotonin signaling mechanisms associated with canine degenerative mitral valve diseaseM A Oyama
Department of Clinical Studies Philadelphia, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 3900 Delancey St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Vet Intern Med 24:27-36. 2010..A variety of investigative techniques, including gene expression, immunohistochemistry, protein blotting, and cell culture, shed light on the ..
- A systematic approach to the investigation and diagnosis of a unilateral pleural effusionE E McGrath
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield S5 7AU, UK
Int J Clin Pract 63:1653-9. 2009..The aim of this study was to assist with a speedy diagnosis of the underlying pathology, using appropriate investigative techniques, while minimising the use of invasive procedures.
- Paediatrics in BerlinA Barbato
Department of Paediatric, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Eur Respir J 34:436-43. 2009..and allergy, cystic fibrosis, respiratory infection, paediatric and neonatal intensive care, paediatric investigative techniques (in particular respiratory physiology and bronchoscopy) and respiratory epidemiology are presented and ..
- Structure of cone photoreceptorsDebarshi Mustafi
Department of Pharmacology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106 4965, USA
Prog Retin Eye Res 28:289-302. 2009..of special mammalian models (transgenic mice and diurnal rats rich in cones) that together with new investigative techniques such as atomic force microscopy and cryo-electron tomography promise to reveal a more unified concept of ..
- Metastatic behaviour of primary human tumours in a zebrafish xenotransplantation modelInes J Marques
Institute of Biology, Department of Integrative Zoology, University of Leiden, 2333 AL, Leiden, The Netherlands
BMC Cancer 9:128. 2009..and metastasis in living organisms to date is cumbersome and involves difficult and time consuming investigative techniques. For primary human tumours we establish here a simple, fast, sensitive and cost-effective in vivo model ..
- Does endoscopic ultrasound have anything to offer in the diagnosis of idiopathic acute pancreatitis?Gareth Morris-Stiff
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, United Kingdom
JOP 10:143-6. 2009The aim of this study was to investigate the role of EUS where other investigative techniques had failed to identify the cause of biochemically proven acute pancreatitis.
- Physical methods for investigating structural colours in biological systemsP Vukusic
School of Physics, University of Exeter, Exeter EX4 4QL, UK
J R Soc Interface 6:S133-48. 2009..For this reason, an appropriate gamut of physical methods and investigative techniques must be applied correctly so that the systems' photonic behaviour may be appropriately understood...
- Novel methods for tendon investigationsM Kjaer
Institute of Sports Medicine, Department of Rheumatology, Bispebjerg Hospital, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Disabil Rehabil 30:1514-22. 2008....
- [Rare tumors of the gallbladder and bile ducts. A case review]J Kalac
I chirurgická klinika LF MU a FN u sv Anny v Brne
Rozhl Chir 89:250-2. 2010..This situation can happen because of possible mistakes that might accompany today's modern practical investigative techniques. The presented report is an example of the pre-operatirely assumed choledocholithiasis which was not ..
- Cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea--an overviewAdeyi A Adoga
Otorhinolaryngology Unit, Department of Surgery, Jos University Teaching Hospital, PMB 2076, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria
Niger J Med 18:244-9. 2009..This paper presents the clinical features, investigative techniques (most of which are not yet in common use in our environment) and finally, the current treatment ..
- Revisiting alternative approaches to the assessment of carcinogenic riskNoel Downes
Sequani Limited, Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Toxicol Pathol 38:324-7. 2010..As our understanding of the mechanisms of carcinogenesis and the availability of investigative techniques improve, there seems less reason than ever to persist with this exercise that provides little meaningful ..
- Biopsy of the oral mucosa and use of histopathology servicesR M Logan
Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Adelaide, South Australia
Aust Dent J 55:9-13. 2010..practitioners are aware of how to deal with pathology when this occurs and have an understanding of investigative techniques that might assist in making a diagnosis...
- Genetic investigations of Meniere's diseaseJeffrey T Vrabec
Bobby R Alford Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Baylor College of Medicine, 6550 Fannin Street, SM1727, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 43:1121-32. 2010..Although genetic studies of Meniere's disease have been inconclusive, increasing knowledge of human genetic structure and mutation and investigative techniques have potential to further understanding of this disorder.
- Understanding the dermal light sense in the context of integrative photoreceptor cell biologyM Desmond Ramirez
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
Vis Neurosci 28:265-79. 2011..Our new classification scheme, combined with modern investigative techniques, will help us address these hypotheses in great detail and generate new hypothesis regarding the function ..
- Frontotemporal dementia: from Mendelian genetics towards genome wide association studiesRaffaele Ferrari
Department of Internal Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, 3601 4th St STOP 9410, Lubbock, TX 79430, USA
J Mol Neurosci 45:500-15. 2011..The rapidly developing investigative techniques available to geneticists such as genome-wide association studies, whole-exome sequencing and, soon, whole-..
- Diagnostic and prognostic value of brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) concentrations in very elderly heart disease patients: specific geriatric cut-off and impacts of age, gender, renal dysfunction, and nutritional statusF Blonde-Cynober
Laboratoire de Biologie, Hôpital Emile Roux, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 1 Avenue de Verdun, 94456 Limeil Brévannes, France
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 52:106-10. 2011..patients is made difficult by the overlapping symptoms with other diseases and by limited access to investigative techniques such as echography, and the clinical signs are either non-constant or difficult to interpret...
- Susceptibility to bronchiolitis in infantsAlfin G Vicencio
Children s Hospital at Montefiore and Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 22:302-6. 2010..Although respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is widely considered to be the most important cause of bronchiolitis in children, little is known about the mechanisms of susceptibility to severe infection...
- Sarcoidosis: can a murine model help define a role for silica?Henry Yeager
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Med Hypotheses 78:36-8. 2012..been recognized for many years, and has become stronger in the last 10-15 years with the advent of newer investigative techniques. A body of literature now is accumulating suggesting that silica may be yet another trigger in ..
- The importance of a multifaceted approach to characterizing the microbial flora of chronic woundsAnne Han
Department of Dermatology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Wound Repair Regen 19:532-41. 2011..The aim of this work was to combine recently developed next-generation investigative techniques to comprehensively describe the microbial characteristics of chronic wounds...
- Chytrid blinders: what other disease risks to amphibians are we missing?Amanda L J Duffus
School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, Queen Mary, University of London, Mile End Road, London, E1 4NS, UK
Ecohealth 6:335-9. 2009..In this article, starting points for proper investigative techniques for amphibian mortalities and declines are identified and areas that need to be improved, especially ..
- Wave travel and reflection in the arterial systemM F O'rourke
Medical Professional Unit, St Vincents Clinic, Sydney, Australia
J Hypertens Suppl 17:S45-7. 1999..research has focused on determining which module of measurement is most relevant as well as exploring new investigative techniques to aid in detection and treatment of cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Myenteric plexus abnormalities associated with epiphrenic diverticulaThomas W Rice
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 35:22-7; discussion 27. 2009....
- Ultrastructural changes in malignant transformation of oral mucosaL H H Cheng
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Leeds Dental Institute, Leeds, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:207-12. 2002..Together with other laboratory investigative techniques, transmission EM may be helpful in detecting malignant changes in oral mucosa.
- The theory of use behind telemedicine: how compatible with physicians' clinical routines?P Lehoux
Interdisciplinary Health Research Group GRIS, Department of Health Administration, University of Montreal, Branch Centre Ville, Quebec, Canada
Soc Sci Med 54:889-904. 2002..Our research indicates that specialities relying on either thorough physical examinations or specialised investigative techniques are unlikely to restructure their work routines to accommodate teleconsultation, which they view as ..
- Lateral impact injury. A source of occult hip pathologyJ W Byrd
Nashville Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Clin Sports Med 20:801-15. 2001..This knowledge has aided in improving interpretative clinical skills and investigative techniques. Isolated traumatic chondral injury can occur as a result of impact loading over the greater trochanter...
- Acute lower gastrointestinal bleeding: part 1R Enns
Department of Medicine, St Paul s Hospital, Vancouver, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 15:509-16. 2001..Other investigative techniques such as nuclear scintigraphy, angiography and surgical exploration have been commonly used in unstable ..
- Developmental plasticity in children: the role of biological risk, development, time, and reserveM Dennis
Department of Psychology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Commun Disord 33:321-31; quiz 332. 2000..has been studied in a variety of medical conditions that affect the developing CNS; at the same time, new investigative techniques, such as brain imaging, have elucidated the biological basis of structural and functional brain ..
- Detection of breast cancer cells in the bone marrow or peripheral blood: methods and prognostic significanceM Lalle
Istituto di Clinica Ostetrica e Ginecologica, , Rome, Italy
Tumori 86:183-90. 2000..The use of new sophisticated diagnostic and investigative techniques has boosted the study of tumor cell contamination of bone marrow and peripheral blood...
- Infectious etiology of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitisS Sethi
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo and Department of Veterans Affairs Western New York Healthcare System, Buffalo, NY 14215, USA
Chest 117:380S-5S. 2000..isolated from the respiratory tract during AECB has become better defined by application of several newer investigative techniques. Bacterial pathogens can be isolated in significant concentrations from distal airways in 50% of AECB...
- Localized microcystic lymphatic malformations--ultrasound diagnosisD Davies
The Skin and Cancer Foundation, New Children's Hospital, Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
Pediatr Dermatol 16:423-9. 1999..The use of ultrasound as a tool to aid in the diagnosis of microcystic lymphatic malformations is then discussed and compared with other investigative techniques.
- [Kirikirimasien (epilepsy) in Mali: etiologic and nosologic dimensions]S Arborio
L Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Paris, France
Med Trop (Mars) 59:176-80. 1999..Interviews with patients, family, friends, and healers were carried out and analyzed using qualitative investigative techniques, results showed that diagnosis was established on the basis of symptoms as well as underlying etiology...
- Left thoracic curve patterns and their association with diseaseC J Goldberg
Children s Research Centre, Our Lady s Hospital for Sick Children, Dublin, Ireland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:1228-33. 1999..Analysis of clinical database material collected prospectively...
- The role of acoustic rhinometry in the diagnosis of adenoidal hypertrophy in pre-school childrenH Riechelmann
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Ulm, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 158:38-41. 1999..b>Investigative techniques to assess adenoidal size often do not add to this information...
- Autofluorescence and mineral content of carious dentine: scanning optical and backscattered electron microscopic studiesA Banerjee
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, University College London, UK
Caries Res 32:219-26. 1998..Two investigative techniques were used, both employing the same sample set and fields in diamond-polished block surfaces of ..
- Strategies for rapid response to emerging foodborne microbial hazardsJ Majkowski
U S Department of Agriculture, Washington, D C 20250, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 3:551-4. 1997..Using epidemiologic data and investigative techniques may be the answer...
- Metals and school learning: a review of investigative techniquesR F Ittenbach
Educational Psychology Program, University of Mississippi, University, 38677, USA
Percept Mot Skills 81:1079-90. 1995..The purpose of the present study was to review and analyze methods and procedures used to understand the relationship between exposure to metals and cognitive, social, and motor functioning of school children...
- [Left ventricular hypertrophy: a real compensatory mechanism?]P Gueret
Service de cardiologie, CHU Dupuytren, Limoges
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 86:77-82. 1993..of left ventricular hypertrophy has increased considerably in recent years with the introduction of new investigative techniques and the publication of clinical and epidemiological studies...
- On the antiquity of treponemal infectionB M Rothschild
Department of Rheumatology, St Elizabeth Hospital Medical Centre Northeast Ohio University College of Medicine, Youngstown 44501 1790
Med Hypotheses 28:181-4. 1989..The spectrum and implications of osseous treponemal disease in the New and Old World are reviewed in light of past perspectives and contemporary investigative techniques.
- Carcinoma of the head of the pancreas versus chronic pancreatitis: diagnostic dilemma with significant consequencesBryce Taylor
Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, Surgical Services, University Health Network, 190 Elizabeth Street, R Fraser Elliott Building, 1st Floor, Suite 408, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
World J Surg 27:1249-57. 2003..This article provides an update of investigative techniques in pancreatic disease, and offers an algorithm for the clinical approach to the patient who appears to ..
- Electron microscopy and the investigation of new infectious diseasesAlan Curry
Electron Microscopy Unit, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Central Manchester Healthcare Trust, Manchester, UK
Int J Infect Dis 7:251-7. 2003..To review and assess the role of electron microscopy in the investigation of new infectious diseases...
- Heat acclimation and cross-tolerance against novel stressors: genomic-physiological linkageMichal Horowitz
Laboratory of Environmental Physiology, The Hebrew University, POB 12272, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Prog Brain Res 162:373-92. 2007..Collectively the master regulators of AC and C-T are still enigmatic; however, cutting-edge investigative techniques, using a broad molecular approach, challenge current ideas, and the data accumulated will pinpoint novel ..
- Taking tissue samples from the placenta: an illustration of principles and strategiesT M Mayhew
Centre for Integrated Systems Biology and Medicine, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Placenta 29:1-14. 2008Tissue samples are removed from placentas for a variety of reasons associated with a host of investigative techniques, including chorionic villus sampling, villus explant culture, cell culture, proteomic analysis, gene expression ..
- The negative ERG: clinical phenotypes and disease mechanisms of inner retinal dysfunctionIsabelle Audo
Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Surv Ophthalmol 53:16-40. 2008..This review summarizes current knowledge on normal retinal physiology, the investigative techniques used and the range of clinical disorders in which there is predominantly inner retinal dysfunction.
- The tape-stripping technique as a method for drug quantification in skinJ J Escobar-Chávez
Departamento de Farmacia y Tecnologia Farmaceutica, Universidad de Valencia, Av Vicente Andrés Estellés s n, Burjassot, Valencia, Espana
J Pharm Pharm Sci 11:104-30. 2008..consisting of tape stripping throughout the stratum corneum, has become one of the traditional investigative techniques. Tape stripping of human stratum corneum is widely used as a method for studying the kinetics and ..
- Present status of surgical intervention for children with intractable seizuresDewi T Depositario-Cabacar
Children s National Medical Center, 111 Michigan Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 8:123-9. 2008..Other newer investigative techniques await validation...
- Neurophysiologic methods to measure stress during survival, evasion, resistance, and escape trainingMarcus K Taylor
Naval Health Research Center, PO Box 85122, San Diego, CA 92186 5122, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B224-30. 2007..g., cerebral, neuroendocrine, cardiac) are briefly discussed, to which we link corresponding investigative techniques (fMRI, acoustic startle eye-blink reflex, heart rate variability, and neuroendocrine sampling)...
- Pathophysiologic basis for schizophrenia and the efficacy of antipsychoticsL Ereshefsky
College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, Austin
Clin Pharm 9:682-707. 1990..New investigative techniques and the study of atypical antipsychotics suggest that a dysregulation hypothesis may be more consistent ..
- Relative contributions of the male and the female to sexual behavior and reproductive success in the Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica)Michael Domjan
Department of Psychology, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712, USA
J Comp Psychol 117:391-9. 2003Two contrasting investigative techniques provided evidence consistent with the interpretation that female quail (Coturnix japonica) regulate male copulatory behavior by the duration of their immobility and through this behavioral ..
- [Magnetic resonance spectroscopy in schizophrenia. Possibilities and limitations]T Wobrock
Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Homburg Saar
Radiologe 45:124-30, 132-6. 2005..The combination of the described investigative techniques with MRS in follow-up studies may provide more specific clues for understanding the pathogenesis and ..
- [Current procedures for clinical evaluation of the shoulder]M Scheibel
Centrum für Muskuloskeletale Chirurgie CMSC, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin
Orthopade 34:267-83. 2005..In most cases a careful physical examination will establish or suggest a diagnosis and special investigative techniques such as imaging procedures can be applied more selectively for confirmation or further evaluation of the ..
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha overexpression in lung disease: a single cause behind a complex phenotypeLennart K A Lundblad
Vermont Lung Center, University of Vermont College of Medicine, HSRF 230, 149 Beaumont Avenue, Burlington, VT 05405 0075, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:1363-70. 2005..These effects are currently unclear, because a transgenic mouse overexpressing TNF-alpha in the lung has been shown in separate studies to produce elements of both emphysema and pulmonary fibrosis...
- Autism and epilepsy: cause, consequence, comorbidity, or coincidence?Lidia Gabis
Child Development Center, Safra Children s Hospital, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Epilepsy Behav 7:652-6. 2005..05). These findings suggest that the use of neurological investigative techniques such as electroencephalography should be a consequence of careful clinical evaluation and should be ..
- The use of herbal products in dementia: experience of Kippo in four NigeriansR Uwakwe
Dept of Mental Health, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi, Anambra State, Nigeria
Niger J Clin Pract 8:51-5. 2005Modern neuroimaging and other investigative techniques have provided a lot of new information on the neurobiology of the dementias...
- The use of herbal products in dementia: experience of Kippo in four NigeriansR Uwakwe
Dept of Mental Health, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi, Anambra State, Nigeria
Niger J Clin Pract 8:51-5. 2005Modern neuroimaging and other investigative techniques have provided a lot of new information on the neurobiology of the dementias...
- An investigation of skeletal indicators of vitamin D deficiency in adults: effective markers for interpreting past living conditions and pollution levels in 18th and 19th century Birmingham, EnglandMegan Brickley
Institute of Archaeology and Antiquity, School of Historical Studies, The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Am J Phys Anthropol 132:67-79. 2007..understanding the types and range of expression of osteomalacia in archaeological bone, using a number of investigative techniques, will have significant implications for interpretations made about past communities...
- Ultrasonic quantification of osseous displacements resulting from skin surface indentation loading of bovine para-spinal tissueG N Kawchuk
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, Department of Medical Science, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive, Calgary, Canada
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 15:228-33. 2000..To validate an ultrasound-based technique which quantifies uni-planar subcutaneous displacement of an osseous object resulting from an externally applied load...
- EICOSANOIDS IN FOCAL SEGMENTAL GLOMERULOSCLEROSISEllen McCarthy; Fiscal Year: 2002..the applicant with valuable opportunities to expand hew knowledge and expertise in experimental design, investigative techniques, and data analysis. Results of these studies will provide insight into the pathophysiology of FSGS...
- Placenta Association of the Americas Conference GrantNICHOLAS ILLSLEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..function are not only extremely complex, but involve studies from many disciplines and a broad range of investigative techniques. It is essential that scientists and clinicians involved in research on placental function are able to ..
- Linear-Dendritic Copolymers as Tissue Growth ScaffoldsTIMOTHY PATTEN; Fiscal Year: 2005..block copolymers that self-assemble into nanofibrous hydrogels and to gain experience with the investigative techniques of tissue engineering...
- VIDEO INTERVENTION/PREVENTION ASSESSMENT-TRANSITIONSMichael Rich; Fiscal Year: 2004..environments, and psychosocial features of asthma which had previously been inaccessible to traditional investigative techniques. A K23 award would allow Dr...
- Microbial Origins of Chronic Human DiseaseRonald Luftig; Fiscal Year: 2004..With new diagnostic and investigative techniques available to identify previously unsuspected pathogens, we are poised scientifically to answer the ..
- MRDD Research CenterKARL PFENNINGER; Fiscal Year: 2009..The investigators will utilize a wide range of investigative techniques to approach these important problems, from studies of emotional development in humans, through the use of ..
- Discovery of a urine biomarker of HIV for noninvasive, point-of-care testing useHans P Schlecht; Fiscal Year: 2011..The central hypothesis of the application is that the modern investigative techniques of LC/MS-MS will demonstrate a unique urinary biomarker in those with highly active (serum viral load >..
- Neuroendocrine and Neuroimaging Endophenotypes in Postpartum DepressionKRISTINA MARIE DELIGIANNIDIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..The K23 will advance my knowledge of reproductive endocrinology with an emphasis on developing novel investigative techniques and train me in neuroimaging to investigate the interactions of the reproductive endocrine system on ..
- Reproductive Biology and Genomics Training ProgramMark S Roberson; Fiscal Year: 2013..sciences would benefit greatly from parallel training in practical and applied use of genome-wide investigative techniques. Cornell University is uniquely poised for a training program in reproductive sciences that spans male ..
- RESEARCH TRAINING PROGRAM IN GASTROENTEROLOGYJack R Wands; Fiscal Year: 2013..A major emphasis of the program is to train biomedical scientist and physician scientist using state of the art investigative techniques.
- Non-Invasive Imaging to Quantify Peripheral Nerve Injury and Repair in ClinicKazim A Sheikh; Fiscal Year: 2013..Presently non-invasive clinical investigative techniques do not exist that allow accurate measurement of extent of nerve injury and natural responses of repair/..
- Rare Genetic Variants as Novel Causes of Idiopathic or Syndromic Short StatureANDREW NAHUM DAUBER; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies including the interpretation of next generation sequencing data as well as other modern genetic investigative techniques. He will be mentored by Dr...
- SURGICAL ONCOLOGY TRAINING GRANTJAMES RICHARD GOLDENRING; Fiscal Year: 2013..through a mentored training environment necessary for the development of experience and proficiency in investigative techniques and reasoning, For those interested in basic science research training, opportunities for mentored ..
- COST-BENEFIT ANALYSIS OF HEART DISEASE RESEARCHDeborah Lubeck; Fiscal Year: 1980..New investigative techniques for evaluating medical innovations are based largely on the economic model of cost-benefit analysis...
- LIMB CONGESTION AND EXERCISE REFLEXES IN HEART FAILURELawrence Sinoway; Fiscal Year: 2003..Novel components of the work described include the use of multiple state of the art human investigative techniques including microdialysis, peroneal nerve recordings of sympathetic traffic, Doppler flow measurements, 31P ..
- BIOLOGY OF AGING LEYDIG CELLSWilliam Neaves; Fiscal Year: 1980..b>Investigative techniques used in this project include radioimmunoassay of gonadotropin and testosterone, radioligand-receptor ..
- EFFECT OF ANDROGENS ON GROWTH HORMONE SECRETIONPAUL MARTHA; Fiscal Year: 1991..We intend to combine studies in humans and an animal model (the rat) using current investigative techniques to examine in depth the role of androgens in controlling GH secretion...
- AUTONOMIC REGULATION IN HEART FAILURELawrence Sinoway; Fiscal Year: 2003..Novel components of the work described include the use of multiple state of the art human investigative techniques including microdialysis, peroneal nerve recordings of sympathetic traffic, Doppler flow measurements, and ..
- ANALYSIS OF MASCULINE BEHAVIORBenjamin Sachs; Fiscal Year: 1993..b>Investigative techniques in this group of studies include surgical and endocrine manipulation of the penile response potential of ..
- Thymectomy and Immunity in Congenital Heart DiseaseNancy Halnon; Fiscal Year: 2009..Newer investigative techniques, however, have allowed demonstration of thymic activity well into adulthood and revealed the necessity of ..
- COMMUNITY BASED HIV PARTNER NOTIFICATION STUDYJudith Levy; Fiscal Year: 2001..Multiple investigative techniques will be used including focus groups, individual indepth interviews, and ethnographic field work to ..
- EPITHELIAL DIFFERNTIATION AND KERATINIZATIONBEVERLY DALE CRUNK; Fiscal Year: 1991..to biology and pharmacology of epithelial differentiation will be exposed to state-of-the-art concepts, investigative techniques and their interpretation...
- MOLECULAR GENETIC BASIS OF HUMAN DISEASERobb Moses; Fiscal Year: 2005..The goal of the program will be to train individuals at the postdoctoral level in the current investigative techniques of medical genetics in a mature and broad program...
- NO SYNTHESIS AND CONSUMPTION IN THE LUNGSerpil Erzurum; Fiscal Year: 2004..Since clinical research increasingly utilizes basic investigative techniques, knowledge of basic research is incorporated into the program through formal graduate level coursework...
- NEURAL INDICES OF PHONOLOGICAL DEFICITS IN POOR READERSMARIA MODY; Fiscal Year: 2002..This endeavour will allow for the learning of new investigative techniques, as well as, the expansion of one's clinical research skills areas of study to include other ..
- Blood Pressure in Postmenopausal Women: A GCRC StudyELLEN SEELY; Fiscal Year: 2007..researchers about the use of a GCRC for the study of human pathophysiology using varied GCRC-based investigative techniques. Dr...
- SAMPLING MODELS AND METHODS FOR COMPLEX GENETIC DISEASESVERONICA VIELAND; Fiscal Year: 2004..In recent years, increased interest in complex disorders has fueled rapid development of complex investigative techniques, which in principle makes it possible to map genes of even small to moderate effect...
- Biodurability of Dentin-Adhesive Resin Bond JointSteven Armstrong; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- LEARNING AND REPRODUCTIVE BEHAVIORMichael Domjan; Fiscal Year: 2005..The research will further our understanding of Pavlovian learning and will integrate the functional approach of ethologists with the emphasis on learning mechanisms in traditional studies of associative learning. ..