Genomes and Genes
Summary: Hand-held tools or implements used by health professionals for the performance of surgical tasks.
Publications250 found, 100 shown here
- [Trocar site hernias. A rare but potentially dangerous complication of laparoscopic surgery]F Holzinger
Klinik für Viszerale und Transplantationschirurgie, Universitat Bern, Inselspital, Bern, Schweiz, Germany
Chirurg 73:899-904. 2002..Based on the literature and our own experience, some preventive recommendations are given to further reduce the risk of hernia formation at trocar sites...
- Prospective trial of endoscopic clips versus combination therapy in upper GI bleeding (PROTECCT--UGI bleeding)John R Saltzman
Gastroenterology Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:1503-8. 2005..It is not known if combination therapy of epinephrine injection and multipolar electrocoagulation or hemoclips are a more efficient or effective treatment for patients with acute nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding...
- Definition of postlumpectomy tumor bed for radiotherapy boost field planning: CT versus surgical clipsHadassah Goldberg
Department of Oncology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 63:209-13. 2005..To compare the location and extent of the tumor bed as defined by surgical clips and computed tomography (CT) scans, after lumpectomy, for electron boost planning as part of breast radiotherapy...
- Laparoscopic appendectomy using a single polymeric clip to close the appendicular stumpLars Ivo Partecke
Department of General, Visceral, Thoracic, and Vascular Surgery, University Hospital, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 395:1077-82. 2010....
- Safety and efficacy of the PrePex device for rapid scale-up of male circumcision for HIV prevention in resource-limited settingsJean Paul Bitega
Kanombe Military Hospital, Kigali, Rwanda
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 58:e127-34. 2011..To assess the safety and efficacy of the PrePex device for nonsurgical circumcision in adult males as part of a comprehensive HIV prevention program in Rwanda...
- The frequency and significance of discrepancies in the surgical countCaprice C Greenberg
Center for Surgery and Public Health, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Ann Surg 248:337-41. 2008..To prospectively evaluate and accurately describe the rate and type of discrepancies encountered in the surgical count...
- Migrated endoclip and stone formation after cholecystectomy: a new danger of acute pancreatitisKemal Dolay
Bakirkoy Egitim ve Arastirma Hastanesi Genel Cerrahi Klinigi Endoskopi Unitesi Istanbul, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 13:6446-8. 2007..The patient underwent early endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) with endoscopic sphincterotomy and stone extraction...
- The relationship between hand size and difficulty using surgical instruments: a survey of 726 laparoscopic surgeonsR Berguer
Department of Surgery, University of California Davis, 4301 X Street, Rm 2310, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Surg Endosc 18:508-12. 2004Hand size is an important variable to consider when designing hand tools. Laparoscopic surgical instruments have been reported to cause hand and upper extremity discomfort...
- "Sparing the surgeon": clinical experience with over-the-scope clips for gastrointestinal perforationL Seebach
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital of Zurich, Switzerland
Endoscopy 42:1108-11. 2010..Anastomosis leakage and larger dehiscence can also be treated to avoid further surgery, but the utility in this situation needs to be defined in the future...
- Cryobiopsy increases the diagnostic yield of endobronchial biopsy: a multicentre trialJ Hetzel
Dept of Internal Medicine II, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Eur Respir J 39:685-90. 2012..001). Importantly, there was no difference in the incidence of significant bleeding. Endobronchial cryobiopsy is a safe technique with superior diagnostic yield in comparison with conventional forceps biopsy...
- Biliary complications secondary to post-cholecystectomy clip migration: a review of 69 casesVui Heng Chong
Endoscopy Unit, Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospital, Bandar Seri Begawan, BA 1710 Brunei Darussalam
J Gastrointest Surg 14:688-96. 2010..Post-cholecystectomy clip migration (PCCM) is rare and can lead to complications which include clip-related biliary stones. Most have been reported as case reports. This study reviews cases of clip migration reported in the literatures...
- Predictors and outcomes of intraprocedural rupture in patients treated for ruptured intracranial aneurysms: the CARAT studyLucas Elijovich
Department of Neurology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0114, USA
Stroke 39:1501-6. 2008..Intraprocedural rupture (IPR) is a well known complication of intracranial aneurysm treatment. Risks and predictors of IPR and its impact on outcome have not been clearly established...
- Yield of tissue sampling for subepithelial lesions evaluated by EUS: a comparison between forceps biopsies and endoscopic submucosal resectionMichael J Cantor
Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 64:29-34. 2006..Establishing a tissue diagnosis is difficult because the yield of forceps biopsies is low. However, prospective data evaluating tissue sampling techniques for subepithelial lesions are currently lacking...
- Incidence and characteristics of potential and actual retained foreign object events in surgical patientsRobert R Cima
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Am Coll Surg 207:80-7. 2008..Incidence of retained foreign objects (RFOs) after operations is unknown, as many can go unrecognized for years. We reviewed the incidence and characteristics of surgical RFO events at a tertiary care institution during 4 years...
- Cryoprobe biopsy increases the diagnostic yield in endobronchial tumor lesionsChristian Schumann
Center of Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine II, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 140:417-21. 2010..The aim of this feasibility study was to prospectively evaluate the diagnostic yield and safety of cryobiopsy and forceps biopsy...
- High rate of adverse events following circumcision of young male adults with the Tara KLamp technique: a randomised trial in South AfricaEmmanuel Lagarde
INSERM U687, IFR69, Villejuif, France
S Afr Med J 99:163-9. 2009..The Tara KLamp (TK) device has been claimed to enable circumcisions to be performed safely and easily in medical and non-medical environments. Published evaluation studies have been conducted among young children only...
- Harmonic scalpel in pharyngolaryngectomy with radical neck dissectionAngelo Salami
ENT Department, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 37:633-7. 2008..The aim of this study was to verify the efficacy and applicability of the Ultracision Harmonic Scalpel (Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Cincinnati, OH) in pharyngolaryngectomy with radical neck dissection...
- Retained foreign bodiesCaprice C Greenberg
Department of Surgery, Center for Surgery and Public Health, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Adv Surg 42:183-91. 2008
- Risk factors for retained instruments and sponges after surgeryAtul A Gawande
Departments of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 348:229-35. 2003..Risk factors for medical errors remain poorly understood. We performed a case-control study of retained foreign bodies in surgical patients in order to identify risk factors for this type of error...
- Migrated endoclip and stone formation after cholecystectomy: a case treated by endoscopic sphincterotomyTakahiro Goshi
Department of Gastroenterology and Oncology, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima
Intern Med 48:2015-7. 2009..We report a case of cholangitis due to a migrated endoclip and consequent choledocholithiasis 6 years after LC, which was successfully treated by endoscopic extraction...
- Maxillary sinus and ridge augmentations using a surface-derived autogenous bone graftMichael Peleg
Department of Surgery, Division of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Miami School of Medicine, FL 33136, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:1535-44. 2004..A handheld instrument is described that cuts and collects thin shavings of bone from cortical surfaces...
- Managing the prevention of retained surgical instruments: what is the value of counting?Natalia N Egorova
InCHOIR International Center for Health Outcomes and Innovation Research, Department of Surgery, Columbia University, 600 W 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Ann Surg 247:13-8. 2008Preventing retained foreign bodies is critical for patient safety. However, the value of counting surgical instruments and the reliability of the information provided have never been quantified...
- Novel surgical instruments facilitating Descemet membrane dissectionEfdal Yoeruek
Department of Ophthalmology, Eberhard Karls University, Tuebingen, Germany
Cornea 32:523-6. 2013..To introduce 2 new untoothed curvilinear forceps for improved dissection of Descemet membrane (DM) and comparison with the 1-point forceps technique...
- Laparoscopic appendectomy using a polymeric clip to close the appendicular stumpAndrés Hanssen
Instituto Medico La Floresta, Caracas, Venezuela
JSLS 11:59-62. 2007....
- Endoscopic closure of gastrointestinal leaksGottumukkala Subba Raju
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition Unit 1466, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 4009, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 104:1315-20. 2009..A detailed review of the literature on this subject, along with a commentary on practical aspects in the management of patients with gastrointestinal leaks, is provided here...
- Hem-o-lok plastic clips in securing of the base of the appendix during laparoscopic appendectomySamir Delibegovic
Department of Surgery, University Clinic Center, Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Surg Endosc 23:2851-4. 2009..The objective of this study was to evaluate the technical feasibility and eventual advantages of this way of securing of the base of the appendix...
- Prospective trial of gasless laparoscopic Burch colposuspension using conventional surgical instrumentsG Willy Davila
Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, Florida, USA
J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 11:197-203. 2004..To prospectively evaluate the use of gasless laparoscopy techniques in the performance of a traditional Burch colposuspension in women with urodynamically-demonstrated genuine stress incontinence and urethral hypermobility...
- Elimination of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy infectivity and decontamination of surgical instruments by using radio-frequency gas-plasma treatmentH C Baxter
School of Chemistry, University of Edinburgh, Joseph Black Building, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JJ, UK
J Gen Virol 86:2393-9. 2005..It is important that new methods are evaluated for effective removal of protein residues from surgical instruments. Here, radio-frequency (RF) gas-plasma treatment was investigated as a method of removing both the protein ..
- Clip-induced biliary stoneV H Chong
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Medicine, RIPAS Hospital, Bandar Seri Begawan BA 1710, Negara Brunei Darussalam
Singapore Med J 45:533-5. 2004..We report two cases, a 58-year-old man and a 54-year-old woman, of clip- induced biliary stones resulting from surgical clip migration a few years after laparoscopic cholecystectomy...
- Adverse health effects of child labor: high exposure to chromium and oxidative DNA damage in children manufacturing surgical instrumentsMuhammad Sughis
Lung Toxicology Research Unit, Department of Public Health, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Environ Health Perspect 120:1469-74. 2012A considerable part of the worldwide production of surgical instruments takes place in Sialkot, Pakistan. Many children work in hazardous conditions in this industry.
- The acute hemodynamic effects of MitraClip therapyRobert J Siegel
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, 8700 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048 1804, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 57:1658-65. 2011..The objective of this study was to evaluate the acute hemodynamic consequences of mitral valve (MV) repair with the MitraClip device (Abbott Vascular, Menlo Park, California)...
- Endoclip closure of jejunal perforation after balloon dilatationShou Jiang Tang
Division of Digestive Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8887, USA
Obes Surg 17:540-3. 2007..We report a patient who had jejunal perforation during balloon dilatation after RYBGP, who was successfully closed with endoclip applications and managed non-operatively...
- Fair trade for surgical instrumentsMahmood F Bhutta
Department of ENT, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH Mahmood F Bhutta
BMJ 333:297-9. 2006
- Visualization of the epigastric vessels and bladder before laparoscopic trocar placementWilliam W Hurd
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio 45409 2793, USA
Fertil Steril 80:209-12. 2003..This study was designed to determine the effectiveness of these techniques to locate the epigastric vessels and superior bladder margin...
- MR liver imaging and cholangiography in the presence of surgical metallic clips at 1.5 and 3 TeslaElmar M Merkle
Department of Radiology, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3808, Duke North Room 1417, Erwin Road, Durham, NC, 27710, USA
Eur Radiol 16:2309-16. 2006....
- Robotic pediatric cardiac surgery: present and future perspectivesYoshihiro Suematsu
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Am J Surg 188:98S-103S. 2004....
- The effect of intraluminal content on the bursting strength of vessels ligated with the harmonic ACE and LigaSure VCourtney K Phillips
Department of Urology, Columbia University School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
J Endourol 22:1383-7. 2008..We evaluated the effect of intraluminal vessel content on bursting pressure (BP) after ligation with two ESDs: the Harmonic ACE and the LigaSure V...
- Transcatheter valve repair/implantationRobert J Siegel
The Heart Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, 8700 Beverly Blvd, Room 5623, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 27:1165-77. 2011..Use of 3D TEE has proven to be a substantial advance for evaluating patients prior to percutaneous heart valve procedures and especially for guiding and monitoring percutaneous, transcatheter heart valve procedures...
- Avoiding major vessel injury during laparoscopic instrument insertionStephanie D Pickett
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, 11100 Euclid Avenue MAC 5034, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 37:387-97. 2010..Methods for secondary port placement are reviewed in terms of direction, depth, and speed of placement...
- [120 laparoscopic adrenalectomies with a harmonic scalpel]M Kasalicky
Chirurgická klinika 2 LF UK a UVN v Praze
Rozhl Chir 88:439-43. 2009..Typical indication for LA is the aldosteron-secreting adenoma, Cushing's syndrome, feochromocytoma or scarcity tumors such as adrenal cyst or myelolipomas...
- In vitro evaluation of MR imaging issues at 3T for aneurysm clips made from MP35N: Findings and information applied to 155 additional aneurysm clipsF G Shellock
University of Southern California and Institute for Magnetic Resonance Safety, Education, and Research, Los Angeles, 90045, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 31:615-9. 2010..Aneurysm clips need to be tested at 3T to characterize MR imaging concerns, including magnetic field interactions, MR imaging-related heating, and artifacts. Therefore, we evaluated these risks for aneurysm clips...
- Quality of surgical instrumentsT Brophy
Department of Clinical Physics, St Bartholomew s and Royal London Hospitals, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 88:390-3. 2006..This study reports the surprising findings of a local quality control exercise for new instruments supplied to a single trust...
- Laparoscopic suturing evaluation among surgical residentsN T Nguyen
Department of Surgery, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
J Surg Res 93:133-6. 2000..The residents were also evaluated on their suturing techniques using conventional instruments, the Endo Stitch, and the Suture Assistant...
- The effects of drilling force on cortical temperatures and their duration: an in vitro studyK N Bachus
University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Orthopedics and Orthopaedic Bioengineering Research Laboratory, 20 South 2030 East, Room 190BPR, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Med Eng Phys 22:685-91. 2000....
- International Subarachnoid Aneurysm Trial (ISAT) of neurosurgical clipping versus endovascular coiling in 2143 patients with ruptured intracranial aneurysms: a randomised trialAndrew Molyneux
ISAT, Neurovascular Research Unit, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford OX2 6HE, UK
Lancet 360:1267-74. 2002..We undertook a randomised, multicentre trial to compare the safety and efficacy of endovascular coiling with standard neurosurgical clipping for such aneurysms judged to be suitable for both treatments...
- Ligasure versus Ultracision in thyroid surgery: a prospective randomized studyPaola Vincenza Sartori
Surgical Department, S Gerardo Hospital, University of Milan Bicocca, Via Pergolesi 33, 20052, Monza, Italy
Langenbecks Arch Surg 393:655-8. 2008..New hemostatic technologies (NT) are often employed in thyroid surgery in the effort to reduce operating time and complications. The aim of this study is to compare three different hemostatic techniques...
- Endoscopic marking with a metallic clip facilitates transcatheter arterial embolization in upper peptic ulcer bleedingLars Gunnar Eriksson
Department of Radiology, Akademiska sjukhuset, SE 751, 85 Uppsala, Sweden
J Vasc Interv Radiol 17:959-64. 2006..To enable accurate transcatheter arterial embolization (TAE) of the target vessel, a new technique to localize the exact position of a bleeding ulcer was tested that involves endoscopic marking of the ulcer with a metallic clip...
- Results of group-circumcision of Muslim boys in Malaysia with a new type of disposable clampR F Schmitz
Department of Surgery, Green Heart Hospital, Gouda, The Netherlands
Trop Doct 31:152-4. 2001..Group circumcisions withTaraKlamp Circumcision Device (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) are safe, although proper patient selection and adequate training in using the device are mandatory...
- Surgical clip found in duodenal ulcer after laparoscopic cholecystectomyNir Wasserberg
Department of Surgery B, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 13:387-8. 2003..Endoscopic removal is recommended when a surgical clip is discovered in a bleeding ulcer...
- Retained foreign bodies after surgeryAmy E Lincourt
Department of General Surgery, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina 28203, USA
J Surg Res 138:170-4. 2007..Medical errors during surgery are not well studied. To define risk factors associated with this type of error, we performed a case control analysis...
- Thyroid surgery with the new harmonic scalpel: a prospective randomized studyHaridimos Markogiannakis
Department of Endocrine Surgery, Hippokrateion Hospital, Athens Medical School, University of Athens, Greece
Surgery 149:411-5. 2011..The objective of this study was to compare the results of total thyroidectomy using the new harmonic scalpel (FOCUS) with that with the previously available device (HARMONIC ACE)...
- Development and application of ultrasonic surgical instrumentsD Sun
Department of Mechanical and Automation Engineering, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 44:462-7. 1997In this paper, a new approach for designing ultrasonic surgical instruments (USI) is presented...
- Comparison of ultrasonic energy, bipolar thermal energy, and vascular clips for the hemostasis of small-, medium-, and large-sized arteriesK L Harold
Department of Surgery, Carolinas Medical Center, 1000 Blythe Boulevard, MEB 601, Charlotte, NC 28203, USA
Surg Endosc 17:1228-30. 2003..In addition, the spread of thermal injury from the UCS and the EBVS was compared...
- The use of the harmonic scalpel vs conventional knot tying for vessel ligation in thyroid surgeryAllan E Siperstein
Department of General Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, Desk A80, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Arch Surg 137:137-42. 2002..We hypothesized that the use of the harmonic scalpel could lead to a significant reduction in operative time as compared with knot tying in thyroid surgery...
- Percutaneous tracheostomy with single dilatation technique: a prospective, randomized comparison of Ciaglia blue rhino versus Griggs' guidewire dilating forcepsSushil P Ambesh
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
Anesth Analg 95:1739-45, table of contents. 2002..However, tracheal stoma over-dilation with GWDF and increase in peak airway pressure and rupture of tracheal rings with CBR remain major concerns...
- Decontamination of surgical instruments from prions. II. In vivo findings with a model system for testing the removal of scrapie infectivity from steel surfacesKarin Lemmer
P24, Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies, Robert Koch Institut, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Gen Virol 89:348-58. 2008..special decontamination procedures in order to prevent accidental transmission of these pathogens by surgical instruments. In the search for effective, instrument-compatible and routinely applicable decontamination procedures, a ..
- Routine vascular control using the Hem-o-lok clip in laparoscopic nephrectomy: animal study and clinical applicationSidney K H Yip
Department of Urology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
J Endourol 18:77-81. 2004..Herein, we report our experience using a polymer clip (Hem-o-lok) for routine control of the vessels during LPN in the animal and clinical setting...
- Comparative healing of rat fascia following incision with three surgical instrumentsEdward I Chang
Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Surg Res 167:e47-54. 2011..We hypothesize that incisions made with the pulsed radiofrequency energy device will result in a superior fascial healing profile compared with conventional electrosurgery...
- Comparison of two percutaneous tracheostomy techniques, guide wire dilating forceps and Ciaglia Blue Rhino: a sequential cohort studyBernard G Fikkers
Department of Intensive Care, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Crit Care 8:R299-305. 2004..To evaluate and compare the peri-operative and postoperative complications of the two most frequently used percutaneous tracheostomy techniques, namely guide wire dilating forceps (GWDF) and Ciaglia Blue Rhino (CBR)...
- Surgical clips found at the hepatic duct after laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a possible case of clip migrationSeung Ik Ahn
Department of Surgery, Inha University College of Medicine, Incheon, Korea
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 15:279-82. 2005....
- Treatment of ruptured intracranial aneurysms: our approachP Khandelwal
Department of Neurosurgery, Fujita Health University Hospital, Toyoake, Aichi 470 1192, Japan
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 48:325-9. 2005..Our purpose in writing this paper was to review the factors that determine the choice of treatment. In addition to this we wanted to study the benefits of surgical clipping for ruptured aneurysms over endovascular coiling...
- Thyroidectomy using the harmonic scalpel: analysis of 105 consecutive casesLarry Shemen
Department of Surgery, Lenox Hill Hospital, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 127:284-8. 2002..The purpose of this report was to evaluate the technical benefits, if any, of thyroidectomy using the harmonic scalpel versus conventional thyroidectomy...
- Harmonic scalpel for tonsillectomyBrian J Wiatrak
Children s Hospital of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama 35233, USA
Laryngoscope 112:14-6. 2002..To describe the Harmonic scalpel and review recent studies comparing its use in tonsillectomy with standard dissection and electrocautery...
- [The "Ultracision Harmonic Scalpel" ultrasound activated scalpel. Initial results in surgery of the tongue and soft palate]F U Metternich
Klinik und Poliklinik für Hals Nasen Ohren Heilkunde des Universitätsklinikums Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistr 52, 20246 Hamburg
HNO 50:733-8. 2002..In addition, based on the mechanical function the UAS has only little thermical effect on neighbouring tissues and enables a controlled tumor resection without damaging vital structures...
- Maximizing console surgeon independence during robot-assisted renal surgery by using the Fourth Arm and TileProCraig G Rogers
Vattikuti Urology Institute, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48202 2689, USA
J Endourol 23:115-21. 2009..We describe multiple uses of the fourth robotic arm and TilePro on the da Vinci S surgical system to maximize console surgeon independence from the assistant during robot-assisted renal surgery...
- [Incisional hernia at the trocar site in laparoscopic surgery]Antonio Imme
UO di Chirurgia Generale 1, Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche, Trapianti d Organo e Tecnologie avanzate, Universita degli Studi di Catania, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico
Chir Ital 58:605-9. 2006..Particular attention needs to be paid to periumbilical gap suture, exposed to the trauma of trocar fixing, especially in obese and diabetic patients. In selected cases the other gaps should be sutured, including the 5 mm ones...
- Trocar site hernia after laparoscopic ventral hernia repairE Boldo
Consorcio Hospitalario Provincial de Castellon, Avenida Ferrandis Salvador 50, 12100, Castellon, Spain
Surg Endosc 21:798-800. 2007..The incidence of trocar site hernia (TSH) after laparoscopic ventral hernia repair (LVHR) is reported to be low. The present study investigates the associated risk factors, with a view to preventing this complication...
- Computed tomography appearance of the Lapra-Ty and Weck hem-o-lok clips in patients who recently underwent laparoscopic urologic surgeryAlvaro Lucioni
Section of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of Chicago, Chicago IL 60637, USA
J Comput Assist Tomogr 30:784-6. 2006..Urologists and radiologists should be aware of the radiographic appearance of the LTC and WKHL given the ease with which they could be confused with urinary lithiasis when applied near the urinary system...
- Comparative study of surgical instruments from sterile-service departments for presence of residual gram-negative endotoxin and proteinaceous depositsI P Lipscomb
Environmental Healthcare Unit, School of Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton SO16 7PX, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 44:3728-33. 2006The ineffective cleaning of surgical instruments may be a vector for the transmission of hospital-acquired infections...
- Laboratory evaluation of laparoscopic vascular clamps using a load-cell device--are all clamps the same?Hak J Lee
Department of Urology, University of California Irvine, Orange, California 92868, USA
J Urol 180:1267-72. 2008..Based on our clinical experience the occlusive capabilities of vascular clamps appeared to be quite variable. We compared the occlusive force of currently available laparoscopic vascular clamps...
- Alternative surgical dissection techniquesThomas Carroll
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, B 205, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 38:397-411. 2005..With time, these dissection methods will prove their lasting power. Otolaryngologists have already begun to expand their applications and will surely play a role in their use and development...
- New trends in head and neck surgery: a prospective evaluation of the Harmonic ScalpelAngelo Salami
Department of Otorhinolanyngology, University of Genoa, Italy
Med Sci Monit 14:PI1-5. 2008..The purpose of this study was to verify the efficacy and applicability of the Harmonic Scalpel in head and neck surgery...
- Direct trocar insertion vs Veress needle in nonobese patients undergoing laparoscopic procedures: a randomized prospective single-center studyF Agresta
Unità Operativa di Chirurgia Generale, Ospedale Civile, Via Forlanini 71, Vittorio Veneto TV, 31029, Italy
Surg Endosc 18:1778-81. 2004..Direct trocar insertion (DTI) has been reported as an alternative to the VN for creation of the pneumoperitoneum...
- The safety and efficacy of direct trocar insertion with elevation of the rectus sheath instead of the skin for pneumoperitoneumMustafa Ziya Günenç
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Ankara Research and Training Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 15:80-1. 2005..Total complication rates were 15.7% (n = 33) and 3.3% (n = 4) in groups 1 and 2, respectively (P < 0.05). Direct trocar insertion with elevation of the rectus sheath using 2 towel clips is an easy, safe, and effective technique...
- [Trocars and hernias: a simple, cheap remedy]Nicola Di Lorenzo
Cattedra di Chirurgia Generale, Universita di Roma Tor Vergata
Chir Ital 57:87-90. 2005..Such hernias are attributed to the difficulty of applying standard suturing techniques to wound closure. We report our experience with a simple device, the Deschamps ligature needle...
- Ultrasonic glossectomy--simple and bloodlessAnthony Po Wing Yuen
Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Head Neck 27:690-5. 2005..The aim of the study was the evaluation of the feasibility of glossectomy using an ultrasonic-activated surgical instrument...
- [Harmonic scalpel in laparoscopic surgery]Zdravko Perko
Klinika za kirurgiju, KB Split, Spinciceva 1, 21000 Split
Lijec Vjesn 126:246-50. 2004..The average hospital stay was 2.8 days. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy, appendectomy and cyst fenestration using the harmonic scalpel are safe and successful operations, with good results and advantages of the minimally invasive surgery...
- Experience from "double-insurance bypass." Surgical results and additional techniques to achieve complex aneurysm surgery in a safer mannerTatsuya lshikawa
Department of Neurosurgery, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo 060 8638, Japan
Surg Neurol 63:485-90; discussion 490. 2005..We have attempted the double-insurance bypass in 15 patients and, herein, report the efficacies and limitations of the procedure, and surgical techniques to make this procedure safer...
- A pilot study of endoscopic closure of colonic perforations with endoclips in a swine modelGottumukkala S Raju
Center for Endoscopic Research, Training, and Innovation CERTAIN, Department of Medicine, Surgery and Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0764, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 62:791-5. 2005..The aim of this study is to evaluate the feasibility and the safety of endoscopic closure of colonic perforations with endoclips in a porcine model...
- Tumor bed delineation for partial breast and breast boost radiotherapy planned in the prone position: what does MRI add to X-ray CT localization of titanium clips placed in the excision cavity wall?Anna M Kirby
Department of Academic Radiotherapy, Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, United Kingdom
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74:1276-82. 2009....
- Corneal and conjunctival toxicity of disinfectants--assessing safety for use with ophthalmic surgical instrumentsMasahiko Ayaki
Department of Ophthalmology, Fujigaoka Hospital, Showa University School of Medicine, 1 30 Fujigaoka, Aobaku Yokohama 227 8501, Kanagawa, Japan
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 48:292-5. 2007..and ortho-phthalaldehyde appears to be within safe levels following washing procedures and therefore the use of these disinfectants may be suitable for selected ophthalmic surgical instruments in urgent or under-equipped circumstances.
- Comparative analysis of 5-mm trocars: dilating tip versus non-shielded bladedAssia A Stepanian
Center for Women s Care and Reproductive Surgery, Gynecologic Endoscopy, Atlanta, Georgia 30328, USA
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 14:176-83. 2007....
- Colonic perforation after endoclip placement for delayed post-endoscopic-resection bleedingKenji Tominaga
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Toho University Ohashi Medical Center, 2 17 6 Ohashi, Meguro ku, Tokyo 153 8515, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 64:839-41. 2006
- Prevention of trocar site hernias: description of the safe port plug technique and preliminary resultsCarlos Moreno-Sanz
Department of Surgery, La Mancha Centro General Hospital, San Juan, Ciudad Real, Spain
Surg Innov 15:100-4. 2008....
- A laparoscopic bipolar cutting forceps can assist in a case of difficult vaginal hysterectomyBradford W Fenton
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Summa Health System, Akron, OH 44303 2090, USA
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 13:331-3. 2006..Surgical techniques that more easily and safely permit completion of hysterectomy by the vaginal approach can improve outcomes for all...
- Successful endoscopic repair of an unusual colonic perforation following polypectomy using an endoclip deviceFrancesco Barbagallo
Department of Surgical Sciences, Transplantation and Advanced Technologies, University of Catania, Via Messina 354 95126 Catania, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 13:2889-91. 2007..Ours is the first case that the perforation itself was caused by the improper functioning of a therapeutic device...
- Comparison of five different abdominal access trocar systems: analysis of insertion force, removal force, and defect sizeD M Shafer
Department of Surgery, Maricopa Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Surg Innov 13:183-9. 2006..Further study is required to determine if these properties translate to an actual improvement in patient outcome...
- Rapid method for the sensitive detection of protein contamination on surgical instrumentsI P Lipscomb
Environmental Healthcare Unit, School of Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
J Hosp Infect 62:141-8. 2006..currently rely on simple visual confirmation of cleanliness as an assessment of the efficacy of cleaning surgical instruments. The inherent inability to monitor low levels of infectious or proteinaceous contamination on surgical ..
- Systems for tracking minimally invasive surgical instrumentsM K Chmarra
Department of Biomechanical Engineering, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands
Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol 16:328-40. 2007..A great number of systems can be used in training environment only, most systems do not allow the use of real laparoscopic instruments, and only a small number of systems provide force feedback...
- Trocar placement for laparoscopic abdominal procedures: a simple standardized methodGeorge S Ferzli
Department of Surgery, Staten Island University Hospital, Staten Island, NY, USA
J Am Coll Surg 198:163-73. 2004
- Effectiveness of the ultrasonic coagulating shears, LigaSure vessel sealer, and surgical clip application in biliary surgery: a comparative analysisB D Matthews
Department of General Surgery, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina 28203, USA
Am Surg 67:901-6. 2001....
- The navy surgeon's chest: surgical instruments of the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic WarJonathan Charles Goddard
Department of Urology, Leicester General Hospital, Gwendolen Road, Leicester LE5 4PW, UK
J R Soc Med 97:191-7. 2004
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy by ultrasonic dissection without cystic duct and artery ligatureC G S Huscher
Department of Surgery, San Giovanni Hospital, Via dell Amba Aradam, 00184 Rome, Italy
Surg Endosc 17:442-51. 2003..Ultrasonically activated scissors may divide both vessels and cystic duct, with no need of further ligature, and possibly reduce the risk of thermal injuries...
- Carpal tunnel release using a short palmar incision and a new knifeS Avci
Department of Orthopaedics, Faith University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Hand Surg Br 25:357-60. 2000..At a minimum follow-up of 6 months, all but one of the patients were satisfied with the final result. Mild scar tenderness was seen in two patients and pillar pain in one patient...
- Microsuture-tying forceps with attached scissors for bypass surgeryMichihiro Kohno
Department of Neurosurgery, Fuji Brain Institute and Hospital, Fujinomiya City, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan
Surg Neurol 60:463-6. 2003..This microforceps avoids having to exchange instruments twice in one suturing, such as that between a microsuture-tying forceps or a microneedle holder and microscissors in conventional methods...
- Effects of steel scalpel, ultrasonic scalpel, CO2 laser, and monopolar and bipolar electrosurgery on wound healing in guinea pig oral mucosaUttam K Sinha
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, 1200 North State Street, Room 4136, Box 795, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Laryngoscope 113:228-36. 2003..The study's objective was to compare instrument performance and tissue healing when steel scalpel, ultrasonic scalpel, monopolar or bipolar electrosurgical instruments, or CO2 laser was used in an animal oral surgery model...
- Open carpal tunnel release using a 1-centimeter incision: technique and outcomes for 104 patientsRichard D Klein
Section of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:1616-22. 2003..There were no significant changes in Jebsen-Taylor Hand Function Test results or pinch/grip strength. Minimal-incision open carpal tunnel release can be performed safely and is associated with good functional outcomes...
- End-to-side anastomoses in small arteries with partial lateral clipping. An experimental studyK M Akay
Department of Neurosurgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 46:22-8. 2003..5 mm), currently, the exclusive clips for the technique are not available commercially. 3) Further clinical implications of the technique may be investigated...
- Is umbilical flora responsible for wound infection after laparoscopic surgery?Ismail Hamzaoglu
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul University, Cerrahpasa Medical School, Istanbul, Turkey
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 14:263-7. 2004..The umbilical flora and the bile are not the source of the surgical site infections after laparoscopic surgery in our study despite the considerations in the literature...
- Endoscopic repair of a colonic perforation following polypectomy using an endoclipSonny S Dhalla
Brandon Regional Health Centre, Brandon, Manitoba
Can J Gastroenterol 18:105-6. 2004..Endoscopic repair using an endoclip device for colonic perforation following polypectomy is described. This is the first case report of a repair following a regular polypectomy-induced perforation described in the English literature...
- Major and minor injuries during the creation of pneumoperitoneum. A multicenter study on 12,919 casesM Catarci
Lap Group Roma, Gruppo Laparoscopico Romano, Via A Borelli, 5, 00161 Rome, Italy
Surg Endosc 15:566-9. 2001..Complications during the creation of pneumoperitoneum were given a high priority of investigation, and a retrospective enquiry was immediately carried out...
- Shared Mechanisms of Valvular and Vascular CalcificationJOEL DAVID MORRISETT; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- In-reach for Successful Aging through Education(i-SAGE)Vyjeyanthi S Periyakoil; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Beta Camera and Laparoscopic Probe for Surgical Cancer Removal.FARHAD DAGHIGHIAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..The prototypes of these cameras will be designed to pass electrical and environmental standards of surgical instruments, and will be sent to CSA in order to obtain UL safety certificates...
- Determining Prevalence of Acute Bilirubin Encephalopathy in Developing CountriesTina Marye Slusher; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- ACES: Abstinence and Contraception Education StorehouseJOSEFINA JAYME CARD; Fiscal Year: 2010..More highly skilled health educators and stronger, more efficacious, and more cost-effectively- produced youth-focused prevention programs should be the result. ..
- Enhancing Kidney Donation Through Live Organ Video Educated Donors (LOVED)Frank A Treiber; Fiscal Year: 2013..These experiences will foster increased efficacy and motivation to complete the LDKT process as a patient or donor. ..
- Therapeutic Monoclonal Antibodies for Human Prion DiseasesMARTIN JOSEPH SADOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2010..blood transfusion or organ transplant, ingestion of prion contaminated food, or use of prion contaminated surgical instruments. Following extra-CNS exposure, PrPSc replicates within the lymphoid organs for months to years before CNS ..
- Cerebral Aneurysm Clipping Training Simulator using Virtual Reality and HapticsP Pat Banerjee; Fiscal Year: 2013..We also modeled aneurysm clips in 3D. Phase II focuses on programming the simulator for craniotomy, dural opening, and aneurysm clipping, and on validation. ..
- Developmental Social Neuroscience in Infants At-Risk for AutismJAMES CHARLES MCPARTLAND; Fiscal Year: 2013..The results of this project will help to detect and diagnose autism and, by understanding affected brain systems, to develop more effective treatments. ..
- Disposable Instrument for Broader Patient Access to Vision Restoration TherapyRobert B Aramant; Fiscal Year: 2010..By transplanting sheets of retinal tissue, vision can be saved and improved. The proposed research will develop a special surgical instrument that will help make transplant of retinal tissue broadly available as a therapy. ..
- Probabilistic Modeling of Stenotic Aortic Valve InterventionWei Sun; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- SENSIMMER? Virtual Phaco Trainer for Cataract SurgeryP Banerjee; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Asthma Mobile App Development, Dissemination and EvaluationJonathan D Klein; Fiscal Year: 2013..The application will be integrated into the EQIPP asthma course allowing it to also be used as tool for improvement to help physicians monitor asthma self management of their patients. ..
- Compensatory Expressive Behavior for Social Functioning with Facial ParalysisKathleen Rives Bogart; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Middle School Media Literacy for Reproductive HealthTRACY MARIE SCULL; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Image-Guided Workstation and Tools for the Treatment of Bone DefectsMehran Armand; Fiscal Year: 2013..Standard surgical instruments are unable to access the cavities deep behind the component (sometimes extending all the way to the sacro-..
- Teen CHAT:Improving physician communication with adolescents about healthy weightKathryn I Pollak; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Evaluation of Web-Based CBT for Rape VictimsHeather Littleton; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, because the treatment involves structured modules, it can rapidly be disseminated and adopted in the field. ..
- First Person Vision for Objective Evaluation of Caregiving QualityJUDITH T MATTHEWS; Fiscal Year: 2013..FPV data gathered in these investigations will be used to develop algorithms for an innovative, automated tool for objective assessment and timely, tailored intervention aimed at improving caregiving quality and safety. ..
- Preparatory Aid to Improve Decision Making about Cancer Clinical TrialsNeal J Meropol; Fiscal Year: 2013..Unfortunately, very few cancer patients take part in these studies. This program uses the Internet to deliver video information about clinical trials to patients, to help them consider this option and ultimately improve cancer therapy. ..
- Targeted Fluorescence Imaging of Nerves for Surgical GuidanceCRISTINA TAN HEHIR; Fiscal Year: 2013..infrared fluorescent contrast agents targeting nerves, and (2) dedicated compact and minimally invasive surgical instruments to simultaneously image nerve fluorescence and anatomy in real-time...
- Role of inflammatory response in aortic valve lesionsXianzhong Meng; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies will provide important insights into the molecular mechanisms by which pro-inflammatory signaling mediates AVMF osteogenic responses and aortic valve lesions. ..
- On-line Ergonomics SolutionsDAN MACLEOD; Fiscal Year: 2012..A general class of conditions that involve the nerves, tendons, muscles, and supporting structures of the body. Risk factors include awkward postures, excessive force, repetitive motions, static load, and vibration. ..
- Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms of Calcific Aortic StenosisBin Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2013..The information would have direct implications in the development of new therapeutic strategies for this most common valve disease. ..
- The narrative impact of active video games on physical activityTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2013..Such inquiries would help to create innovative and effective media products to be applied to various health interventions. ..
- The Causal Role of Acute Alcohol Consumption in Risky Sex among HIV-Positive MSMPaul Shuper; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Robotic Natural Orifice Skull Base SurgeryROBERT JAMES WEBSTER; Fiscal Year: 2013..compared to highly invasive transfacial and transcranial approaches, the endonasal approach - in which surgical instruments are deployed to the skull base through a nostril and the nasal cavities - is only used in a small ..
- The Affective Roots of Moral Development: Naturalistic and Experimental StudiesJOSEPH JOHN CAMPOS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, the research can inform interventions on parenting behaviors intended to promote the early acquisition of moral values. ..
- Cognitive Control of Emotion in AutismCarla A Mazefsky; Fiscal Year: 2013..This information can then be used to develop novel treatments to improve emotional and social functioning in autism. ..
- An Interactive Website to Reduce HIV Risk Behavior among AdolescentsSonya S Brady; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Development of a High Efficiency Plasma SterilizerBRIAN BROSDAHL; Fiscal Year: 2007..Sterilization of critical medical devices, such as surgical instruments, biopsy forceps, cardiac and urinary catheters, implants and needles, is a major issue of responsibility ..
- Advanced Laser Technology for Fractional Skin Resurfacing and Other Surgical ApplRAVINDER JAIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..relevance of this research is that it will lead in the long term to efficient, unique, and versatile laser surgical instruments that will have applications in a large range of surgical procedures including dermatology, laryngology, ..
- Microtechnology-Enhanced Surgical Device For Pediatric Lens Capsulotomy And TreatChristopher Keller; Fiscal Year: 2011..The proposed device simplifies and automates a technically challenging surgical task in cataract surgery. ..
- Genetic contributions to deficits in adaptive function in schizophreniaTatiana Sitnikova; Fiscal Year: 2013..They may help to develop a new endophenotype of schizophrenia to assist search for susceptibility genes of this disorder. ..
- Multivariate Representations of EmotionKevin S LaBar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, identifying patterns of overlap between specific emotion categories may further aid efforts to understand comorbidity issues in anxiety and mood disorders. ..
- Development of a Multi-Resolution Foveated LaparoscopeHong Hua; Fiscal Year: 2012..of physically advancing or withdrawing the probe, and maintain a low profile to minimize interfaces with surgical instruments. We overcome the limitations of existing laparoscopes by optically coupling a wide-angle system with an ..
- Robot-assisted prostate surgery using augmented reality with deformable modelsPeter Kazanzides; Fiscal Year: 2011..the prostate tissue that occurs throughout the prostatectomy procedure due to the interaction between the surgical instruments and the prostate tissue...
- Optimizing duration of antibiotics after valve surgery for infective endocarditisVivian H Chu; Fiscal Year: 2012..From a societal perspective, a reduction in antibiotic usage has the potential to decrease selection of resistant bacterial isolates and to reduce costs related to prolonged intravenous antibiotic therapy. ..
- A NOVEL ULTRAFAST LASER TECHNIQUE FOR PATHOGEN INACTIVATIONSHAW WEI DAVID TSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Continued exploration of this laser PR technology is expected to generate additional applications including sterilization of pharmaceuticals, medical devices, surgical wounds, and surgical instruments, and combating bioterror threats.
- Video Exposure Assessment of Hand Activity LevelRobert G Radwin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ultimately this translational research might lead to a video-based direct reading exposure assessment instrument with broad applications for occupational health and safety. ..
- Applying Mobile-Persuasive Technologies to Increase Physical Activity in WomenYoshimi Fukuoka; Fiscal Year: 2013..Public health relevance: 86% of US adults use mobile phones. Evaluating mobile persuasive technologies is critical because it could be easily administered to large number of sedentary women. ..
- E-Learning Assisted HAZWOPER Training for Coroners and Medical ExaminersJAMES PATRICK O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2011..The application is rated at a priority score level of 38. ..
- Intraoperative OCT Guidance of Intraocular SurgeryCynthia Ann Toth; Fiscal Year: 2013..to distinguish delicate, microscopic tissue structures of subtle contrast, or to judge the location of surgical instruments relative to adjacent microstructures, limits achievement of surgical endpoints and patient outcomes...
- Interactive ELSI Curriculum for Primary Care ResidentsMichael Wilkes; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, we have experience, resources, motivation and programmatic support to successfully develop, implement and evaluate this ELSI curriculum. ..
- Substance Use Prevention Media Literacy High School CurriculumJANIS KUPERSMIDT; Fiscal Year: 2009..This project will result in the development of a commercially available, teacher-friendly, educational tool with empirically-tested results. ..
- Preventing Blood and Body Fluid Exposures during Surgical Procedures.Douglas J Myers; Fiscal Year: 2011..safety practices: double-gloving, the use of blunt suture needles and "hands-free techniques" for passing surgical instruments during operations...
- HIDDEN EMOTIONS IN PREJUDICEEric Vanman; Fiscal Year: 2000..The results of these two experiments should assist in more effective interventions to reduce contemporary forms of prejudice. ..
- Surgical Instrument Guide-MEMS (SIG-MEMS)VLADIMIR RUBTSOV; Fiscal Year: 2010..It will warn the surgeon when the instrument is approaching a vital part of the tissue, and will simultaneously provide important instrument positioning information in relation to other instruments. ..
- STERILIZING MEDICAL DEVICES WITH ATMOSPHERIC PLASMAKimberly Kelly Wintenberg; Fiscal Year: 2001..We propose to inoculate stainless steel conventional surgical instruments with vegetative bacteria or spores and assess the conditions required to achieve sterilization of these ..
- Health Information Technology to Facilitate Patient-centered Communication in CanDERSHUNG YANG; Fiscal Year: 2009..Videos produced in the local clinic setting showing the providers that patients will interface with can put a more personal touch on the information to be conveyed to patients and could be more effective. ..
- PROTEIN FOLDING IN THE EUKARYOTIC CYTOSOLJudith Frydman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our proposed experiments are aimed at obtaining functional, mechanistic and structural insights into the role of chaperones in de novo folding. ..
- Development of fMRI Studies of Social-Emotional Information ProcessingEMIL FRANK COCCARO; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- INTERACTIVE MULTIMEDIA CASE BASED TRAINING FOR DYSPHAGIAJo Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2000..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical study of RFID Tagged Surgical Sponges and InstrumentsDAVID SZAKELYHIDI; Fiscal Year: 2007..order to further develop the surgical tracking device into a system which can count not only sponges, but surgical instruments as well. Several major technological challenges must be overcome in order to achieve this goal...
- Mobile Just-In-Time Training of Emergency Response Personnel - Phase IICESAR BANDERA; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Automated retraction for thoracotomy: Improved recovery of respiratory function aHUGH CRENSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2009..The goal of this project is to develop a new surgical instrument that greatly decreases respiratory dysfunction and pain after thoracotomy. ..
- Community Skills Video Game for Children with AutismAMY MAGUIRE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Social relevance to parents and professionals will be examined with a survey. This Phase I feasibility study will provide the foundation for Phase II evaluation of outcomes across a greater number of skills and participants. ..
- Efficacy of DVD Technology in COPD Self-Management Education of Rural PatientsMichael Stellefson; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgical InstrumentSOHEILA MIRHASHEMI; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Family Education for Confirmed Newborn ScreenDavid Sandberg; Fiscal Year: 2009..This model has significant potential for commercialization through the publication of patient education programs across the full spectrum of chronic medical conditions identified by expanded newborn screen. ..
- A Unified Surgical Instrument System for Periodontal Minimally Invasive SurgerySTEPHEN HARREL; Fiscal Year: 2007..The resulting system, based on the surgical consultants evaluations and scores, will be used in a Phase 2 multicenter controlled clinical evaluation of MIS. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Middle School Media Literacy for Reproductive HealthTRACY SCULL; Fiscal Year: 2009..This project will result in the development of a commercially available, teacher- friendly, educational tool with empirically-tested results. ..
- High Intensity Ultrasound in GastroenterologyJOO HWANG; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is anticipated that this work will help to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms of HIFU and its potential role for other GI applications such as tumor therapy. ..
- Chlipoplex Nanoparticle Prophylactics for RSV InfectionShyam Mohapatra; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Femtosecond Laser Posterior Lamellar KeratoplastyTibor Juhasz; Fiscal Year: 2004..of pre-Descemet's stroma can avert these problems, however, the difficulty of surgery using traditional surgical instruments limits the use of these procedures to a very few highly skilled surgeons...
- Antimicrobial NanocoatingR Dillingham; Fiscal Year: 2005..g. indwelling catheters, central lines, prostheses and other invasive devices); and 2) treating dental and surgical instruments to help prevent infections in non-ideal settings (e.g...
- Long-Term Exercise Maintenance via Internet SupportPaul Williams; Fiscal Year: 2006..We estimate that we will be able to detect differences in exercise cessation rates between the intervention and control group of 0.45% in runners and walkers separately (alpha=0.05, 80% statistical power). ..
- Effect of Mood on Impulsivity Among Adolescent SmokersChad Gwaltney; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long-term objective of this research is to improve adolescent smoking prevention and cessation efforts by gaining a better understanding of the mechanisms leading to smoking in this population. ..
- Imaging & Localizing Device Using the Barkhausen EffectJohn Dicello; Fiscal Year: 2003..Existing reconstruction techniques will be adapted to provide absolute spatial information. With fusion, images can be combined with CT, MRI, or PET for anatomical and physiological information. ..
- Contribution of emotional memory to social cognition in agingHaiyin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding its normal function and changes between the young and old amygdala will be a critical step toward finding effective treatments for these diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ACES: Abstinence and Contraception Education StorehouseJOSEFINA CARD; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Supporting Transition In Vocation and Education (STRIVE)Cynthia Baker; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Clinical and Basic Neurobiology of Nervous System DiseasesGeorge Heninger; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..