Summary: Gloves, usually rubber, worn by surgeons, examining physicians, dentists, and other health personnel for the mutual protection of personnel and patient.
Publications194 found, 100 shown here
- Incidence of microperforation for surgical gloves depends on duration of wearLars Ivo Partecke
Clinic of General, Visceral, Vascular, and Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 30:409-14. 2009..In addition, surgical gloves also protect team members against patient-transmitted infectious agents...
- Postoperative integrity of veterinary surgical glovesBen J Character
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, Mississippi 39762, USA
J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 39:311-20. 2003..Surgeons should remain alert for possible glove defects and consider measures such as changing gloves every 60 minutes or double-gloving to minimize potential complications...
- Surgical glove perforation and the risk of surgical site infectionHeidi Misteli
Department of General Surgery, University Hospital Basel, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Arch Surg 144:553-8; discussion 558. 2009..Clinically apparent surgical glove perforation increases the risk of surgical site infection (SSI)...
- Double gloving to reduce surgical cross-infectionJ Tanner
Derby Hospitals NHS FoundationTrust, Derby City General Hospital, Uttoxeter Road, Derby, Derbyshire, UK DE22 3NE
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD003087. 2006..This risk can be reduced by implementing protective barriers such as wearing surgical gloves. Wearing two pairs of surgical gloves, triple gloves, glove liners or cloth outer gloves, as opposed to one ..
- Update on medical and surgical glovesMarie Bernadette Cleenewerck
Pôle Santé Travail, 118 rue Solférino, 59000 Lille, France
Eur J Dermatol 20:434-42. 2010..The problem of prevention of infections risks in the health environment and the choice of medico-surgical gloves is described. In a surgical environment (in ORS), double gloving is recommended...
- Concentration of bacteria passing through puncture holes in surgical glovesJulian Camill Harnoss
Institute for Hygiene and Environmental Medicine, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Am J Infect Control 38:154-8. 2010..This study measured the concentration of bacteria passing through glove punctures under surgical conditions...
- Bacterial migration through punctured surgical gloves under real surgical conditionsNils Olaf Hübner
Institute of Hygiene and Environmental Medicine, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
BMC Infect Dis 10:192. 2010The aim of this study was to confirm recent results from a previous study focussing on the development of a method to measure the bacterial translocation through puncture holes in surgical gloves under real surgical conditions.
- PAH and soot emissions from burning components of medical waste: examination/surgical gloves and cotton padsY A Levendis
College of Engineering, Northeastern University, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Chemosphere 42:775-83. 2001..No SO2 emissions were detected, indicating that during the fuel-rich combustion of latex, its sulfur content was converted to other compounds (such as H2S) or remained in the soot...
- How often does glove perforation occur in surgery? Comparison between single gloves and a double-gloving systemT Laine
Department of Surgery, Satakunta Central Hospital, 28500, Pori, Finland
Am J Surg 181:564-6. 2001....
- Comparison of 4 different types of surgical gloves used for preventing blood contactAndreas Wittmann
Department of Safety Engineering, University of Wuppertal, D 42119 Wuppertal, Germany
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 31:498-502. 2010..Needlestick injuries are always associated with a risk of infection, because these types of punctures may expose healthcare workers to a patient's blood and/or body fluids...
- Efficacy of double gloving with an intrinsic indicator systemSander Florman
Department of Surgery, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 6:385-95. 2005..Safety is paramount, and the reliability and efficacy of surgical gloves are crucial, as gloves are the most important barriers protecting hospital personnel and patients...
- Glove perforations in open and laparoscopic abdominal surgery: the feasibility of double glovingT Laine
Tampere University Hospital, Department of Surgery, Tampere, Finland
Scand J Surg 93:73-6. 2004..Today, with growing incidences of HIV and Hepatitis B and C, surgical gloves are also important as protection for the surgeon...
- Unnoticed glove perforation during thoracoscopic and open thoracic surgeryYuko Kojima
Department of Anesthesiology, Suwa Red Cross Hospital, Nagano, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1078-80. 2005..Surgeons tend to underestimate the risk of transferring infection during thoracoscopic operations, although data on glove perforation in thoracoscopic operations have not been reported...
- Conversion to low-protein, powder-free surgical gloves: is it worth the cost?Denise M Korniewicz
University of Miami, School of Nursing and Health Studies, Miami, FL, USA
AAOHN J 53:388-93. 2005..This study demonstrated that conversion to the use of powder-free, low-protein NRL gloves not only reduces health care worker NRL symptoms, but also positively affects the costs of glove purchases and workers' compensation...
- Glove punctures and postoperative skin flora of hands in cardiac surgeryAnne M Eklund
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Ann Thorac Surg 74:149-53. 2002b>Surgical gloves are frequently perforated during operations, including heart operations. This infection risk factor is inadequately studied.
- Incidence of glove failure during orthopedic operations and the protective effect of double glovesLateef O A Thanni
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, College of Health Sciences, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ogun State, Nigeria
J Natl Med Assoc 95:1184-8. 2003..To determine the usefulness of double gloves in protecting against the exposure of surgical team members' hands to blood...
- Glove perforations during open surgery for gynaecological malignanciesA P Manjunath
Department of Gynecologic Oncology, Royal Marsden Hospital, London, UK
BJOG 115:1015-9. 2008..To audit glove perforations at laparotomies for gynaecological cancers...
- Surgical gloves: perforation and protectionJudith Tanner
Derby Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
J Perioper Pract 16:148-52. 2006
- Anticipated detection of imminent surgeon-patient barrier breaches. A prospective randomized controlled trial using an indicator underglove systemJean Louis Caillot
Department of Emergency Surgery, University Hospitals of Lyon, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre Benite, F69495, France
World J Surg 30:134-8. 2006..In conjunction with the protective quality of double gloving, the IUS allows detection of significant breaches of the outer glove before the breach of the SPB...
- [Granulomatous peritonitis due to the starch used in surgical gloves]Ignacio Juaneda
Servicio de Cirugia General, Hospital Privado de Cordoba, Argentina
Medicina (B Aires) 68:222-4. 2008..Patient is asymptomatic at seven months of postoperatory. Corticosteroid treatment is an efficient choice. The prevention is crucial and is based on the employment of starch free surgical gloves.
- Glove perforation and contamination in primary total hip arthroplastyM Al-Maiyah
Department of Orthopaedics, School of Health, University of Teeside, Middlesbrough TS1 3BA, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:556-9. 2005..Changing gloves at regular intervals is an effective way to decrease the incidence of glove perforation and bacterial contamination during total hip arthroplasty...
- Health care worker disability due to latex allergy and asthma: a cost analysisV L Phillips
Department of Health Policy and Management, Rollins School of Public Health of Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Public Health 89:1024-8. 1999....
- Specific immunotherapy for severe latex allergyC Pereira
Immunoallergology Department, Coimbra University Hospital, Coimbra, Portugal
Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol 35:217-25. 2003..We also observed a reduction on skin reactivity to latex in all patients by prick tests. We consider SIT with latex to be highly effective, safe and well tolerated provided we use this dose of the allergenic extract...
- FDA approves glove made from new form of natural latexCraig Palmer
J Am Dent Assoc 139:679. 2008
- Changes in occupational health problems and adverse patient reactions in orthodontics from 1987 to 2000Nils Jacobsen
Institute of Clinical Dentistry, Dental Faculty, University of Oslo, Norway
Eur J Orthod 25:591-8. 2003....
- [Monitoring latex risk: detection of airborne and glove allergens]M Previdi
Struttura Semplice di Allergologia Ambientale e Occupazionale, UOOML CEMOC Clinica del Lavoro L Devoto, IRCCS Fondazione Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milano
Med Lav 99:118-24. 2008..Latex is a relevant occupational and environmental allergen, strongly related to the extensive use of natural rubber products...
- Health care workers: risk factors for nonlatex and latex gloves during surgeryDenise M Korniewicz
University of Maryland, School of Nursing, Department of Adult Health, School of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201 1579, USA
AIHA J (Fairfax, Va) 64:851-5. 2003This study examined glove failure and related factors in both nonlatex and latex surgical gloves after routine use...
- Occupational asthma from natural rubber latex. Specific inhalation challenge test and evolutionS Acero
Sección Alergología, Hospital Virgen del Camino, Pamplona, Spain
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 13:155-61. 2003..Natural rubber latex (NRL) is the most frequent cause of occupational respiratory problems in hospital workers...
- Selecting medical gloves in an era of latex protein allergyEsah Yip
Alpha Omegan 96:37-40. 2003
- Minimizing the risks of latex allergy: the effectiveness of written informationF M Carrozzi
Institute of Immunology and Allergy Research, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales
Aust Dent J 47:237-40. 2002..This study assessed whether identified latex-allergic dental personnel changed their practices after receiving verbal and written information about the management of latex allergy...
- Practice powder-free and latex safeKristina M Keller
School of Nursing, University of Washington
Nurse Pract 28:55-7. 2003
- Accommodating latex allergy concerns in surgical settingsEsah S Yip
Malaysian Rubber Export Promotional Council, Washington, DC, USA
AORN J 78:595-8, 601-3. 2003....
- Improving latex-allergy diagnosis: the clinical role of Hev b8-specific IgEL Antonicelli
Allergy Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Immuno Allergic and Respiratory Diseases, Ospedali Riuniti di Ancona, Ancona, Italy
Allergy 63:620-1. 2008
- Double gloving: a risk reduction strategyCarolyn LeSac Twomey
Regent Medical, Norcross, Georgia, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Saf 29:369-78. 2003The use of sterile surgical gloves has become the international standard of care in the perioperative environment...
- Reliability and performance of innovative surgical double-glove hole puncture indication systemsRichard F Edlich
Plastic Surgical Research Program, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
J Long Term Eff Med Implants 13:69-83. 2003During operative procedures, operating room personnel wear sterile surgical gloves designed to protect them and their patients against transmissible infections...
- Update on latex allergy among health care personnelDeanna Reed
Florida Hospital, Lake Placid, USA
AORN J 78:409-12, 416-22, 425-6; quiz 427-30. 2003..Latex composition, prevalence, clinical manifestations, and populations at risk also are discussed...
- Effect of omalizumab in health care workers with occupational latex allergyFrancisque Leynadier
J Allergy Clin Immunol 113:360-1. 2004
- A randomized, controlled, double-blind study of the effect of wearing coated pH 5.5 latex gloves compared with standard powder-free latex gloves on skin pH, transepidermal water loss and skin irritationRaeesa Mirza
Department of Dermatology, Clinical Trials, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 5334, USA
Contact Dermatitis 55:20-5. 2006..006). Glove wearing increased skin pH and dryness. The pH 5.5 glove maintained lower skin pH levels than the control glove and may reduce irritation in long-term glove wearers...
- Safer surgical gloves: evaluation and implementationGill Bowler
NHS Lothian, University Hospital Trust
J Perioper Pract 16:67-70. 2006..Counsel also stated that, as there are now adequate alternatives to latex gloves, NHS employers would have an indefensible position if no attempt was made to supply alternatives...
- Allergen profiles of natural rubber latex (NRL) proteins on gloves and glove powdersVesna J Tomazic-Jezic
FDA, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, Rockville, Maryland 20850, USA
J Long Term Eff Med Implants 15:115-24. 2005..In contrast, there was only 3-7% of Hev b 1 allergen in the NAL extract, but powders had 35-45% of Hev b 1. These findings indicate that allergenic properties of NRL gloves and respective glove powders may be different...
- Prevalence of hand dermatitis among hospital nurses working in a tropical environmentDerek R Smith
National Institute of Industrial Health, Kawasaki, Japan
Aust J Adv Nurs 22:28-32. 2005..Although hand dermatitis (HD) is a common occupational problem among hospital nurses, few epidemiological studies of this disease have been conducted in regional areas or tropical environments...
- Impact of converting to powder-free gloves. Decreasing the symptoms of latex exposure in operating room personnelDenise M Korniewicz
University of Miami, School of Nursing and Medicine, Coral Gables, FL, USA
AAOHN J 53:111-6. 2005This study examined health care worker satisfaction with the use of non-powdered natural rubber latex (NRL) surgical gloves to determine the impact of non-powdered NRL gloves on the NRL sensitization of operating room personnel...
- Grand rounds: latex-induced occupational asthma in a surgical pathologistJudith Green-McKenzie
University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4283, USA
Environ Health Perspect 113:888-93. 2005..Latex allergy and sensitization have been an important problem facing health care workers. Providing a latex-safe environment is the intervention of choice...
- Adverse reactions to latex products: preventive and therapeutic strategiesMichaell A Huber
Division of Oral Medicine, Department of Dental Diagnostic Science, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio Dental School, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Contemp Dent Pract 7:97-106. 2006..Halstead is credited with being the first to use surgical gloves in a clinical setting...
- [Surgical glove use in France]J L Caillot
Service des Urgences Chirurgicales, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre Benite, EA 37 38 Faculté de Médecine Lyon Sud, Oullins
J Chir (Paris) 142:226-30. 2005..New institutional protocols will be necesssary in order to make powder-free non-latex gloves available to French surgeons...
- Latex allergy: a challenge for anaesthetistsJ Demaegd
University Hospital, Dept of Anaesthesia, De Pintelaan 185, B 9000 Ghent
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 57:127-35. 2006..In the future, desensitization will probably be useful in helping patients with latex allergy...
- Different latex aeroallergen size distributions between powdered surgical and examination gloves: significance for environmental avoidanceRobert H Brown
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 114:358-63. 2004..groups by creating latex-safe environments that include replacement of natural rubber latex examination and surgical gloves, especially those that are powdered, with synthetic alternatives...
- Differential expression of allergens on the internal and external surfaces of latex surgical glovesC Peixinho
Health Sciences Research Centre, University of Beira Interior, Covilha, Portugal
Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 34:206-11. 2006..The purpose of this study was to determine whether such sensitization profiles are associated with differences in the expression of latex allergen between the internal and external surfaces of surgical gloves.
- Risk of glove perforation in minor and major plastic surgery proceduresMarcus Vinicius Jardini Barbosa
Alameda Santos, Sao Paolo SP, Brazil
Aesthetic Plast Surg 27:481-4. 2003..Because plastic surgeons make up an important risk group for this type of accident, this study sought to evaluate the incidence of glove perforation during minor and major plastic surgery procedures...
- Natural rubber latex allergy and dental practiceShalin V Desai
Department of Oral Rehabilitation, University of Otago School of Dentistry, Dunedin
N Z Dent J 103:101-7. 2007..Knowledge of the availability of substitute products and an adequate fresh stock of such products in dental practice can minimise the risk of adverse NRL sensitivity...
- Prevalence of type I allergy to natural rubber latex and type IV allergy to latex and rubber additives in operating room staff with glove-related symptomsSara Miri
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 28:557-63. 2007..Based on this study, we recommend eliminating powdered latex gloves from the operating rooms of the 13 studied general hospitals and support the substitution of powder-free latex gloves...
- Latex allergySusan Q Wilburn
AORN J 79:578; author reply 582-4; discussion 584-5. 2004
- Latex allergyCatherine J Galligan
AORN J 79:579; author reply 582-4; discussion 584-5. 2004
- Latex allergyTerri Arthur
AORN J 79:579-80; author reply 582-4; discussion 584-5. 2004
- Type I latex allergy in health care workers with latex-induced contact urticaria syndrome: a follow-up studyE Nettis
Section of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Department of Medical Clinic, Immunology and Infectious Diseases, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Allergy 59:718-23. 2004..Latex allergy is an important occupational health issue among health care workers (HCWs). Secondary prevention in sensitized/allergic individuals involves avoiding exposure to NRL products...
- Latex allergy and otorhinolaryngological surgeryI Khodaei
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool L9 7AL
Hosp Med 65:422-5. 2004..Latex allergy in the otorhinolaryngology patient requires forward planning and coordination of management plans between the surgical, nursing and anaesthetic departments in order to ensure a safe outcome...
- A study of natural rubber latex allergens in gloves used by healthcare workers in SingaporeD Koh
Department of Community, Occupational and Family Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Br J Dermatol 153:954-9. 2005..Allergy to natural rubber latex (NRL) proteins is a well-recognized health problem among subjects using protective gloves and products made of NRL. There is currently no information on NRL allergen levels in gloves used in Singapore...
- Minimizing latex exposure and allergy. How to avoid or reduce sensitization in the healthcare settingBarbara A Muller
University of Iowa Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, BT 1081 GH, 200 Hawkins Dr, Iowa City, IA 52242 1081, USA
Postgrad Med 113:91-7. 2003..She also presents a clinical approach to prevent or ameliorate sensitization and manage allergic symptoms...
- Latex sensitization in dental students using powder-free gloves low in latex protein:a cross-sectional studyKlaus Schmid
Institute and Outpatient Clinic for Occupational, Social and Environmental Medicine of the University Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Contact Dermatitis 47:103-8. 2002..The observed reactions to between 1 and 3 of 6 latex substances tested may indicate a decrease in intensity and spectrum of sensitization. Additionally non-occupational sensitization may be of importance...
- Effectiveness of the hands-free technique in reducing operating theatre injuriesB Stringer
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Occup Environ Med 59:703-7. 2002..The hands-free technique, whereby a tray or other means are used to eliminate simultaneous handling of sharp instruments, has been recommended...
- Latex aeroallergen concentrations in ambulancesSantiago Quirce
J Allergy Clin Immunol 114:978-9. 2004
- [Consensus Document. Update on latex exposure and use of gloves in Italian health care settings]Michela Crippa
Unità di Allergologia Occupazionale, Servizio di Medicina del Lavoro, Az Spedali Civili Brescia, Universita degli Studi di Brescia, Brescia
Med Lav 99:387-99. 2008....
- The changing face of hand protectionPeter B Graves
Regent Medical, Norcross, GA, USA
AORN J 76:248-54, 256-8; quiz 260-1, 263-4. 2002..A basic understanding of the history of surgical gloves, health issues associated with their use, glove materials, and the essential properties of hand scrubs can ..
- Latex allergy: the perspective from the surgical suiteBeth A Elliott
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Medical School, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:S117-20. 2002....
- Specific monoclonal antibodies and human immunoglobulin E show that Hev b 5 is an abundant allergen in high protein powdered latex glovesM F Sutherland
Department of Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology, The Alfred Hospital and Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Clin Exp Allergy 32:583-9. 2002..Moreover, standardized immunological assays for the detection of Hev b 5 are currently lacking and may have important implications for both allergen avoidance and diagnosis in latex allergy...
- Glove powder reduction and alternative approachesWava Truscott
Kimberly Clark Corporation, 1400 Holcomb Bridge Road, Roswell, GA 30076, USA
Methods 27:69-76. 2002..Caution must be exercised when methods of protein and powder reduction are implemented to minimize the possibility of creating other adverse consequences...
- The effect of polymethyl methacrylate on latex-free surgical glovesT B Edwards
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
J Arthroplasty 16:541-2. 2001..During this procedure, we noticed holes in our latex-free surgical gloves when polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) was being handled...
- From Russia with glove: latex sensitization in Russian and eastern European hospital workersJohn W Yunginger
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 89:433-4. 2002
- A laboratory-based study to assess the performance of surgical glovesDenise M Korniewicz
University of Maryland School of Nursing and Medicine, Baltimore, USA
AORN J 77:772-9. 2003..elasticity of latex and the touch sensitivity it provides has made it the traditional material of choice for surgical gloves, protecting both health care workers and patients from the transmission of bloodborne infections...
- Cataract surgery for natural rubber latex allergic patientsD Cheung
Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, City Hospital NHS Trust, UK
Eye (Lond) 17:129-38. 2003..It is hoped this review article will act as a basic guide in the management of NRL-sensitive patients undergoing cataract surgery in the United Kingdom...
- Latex allergy. A position paper of the British Society of Allergy and Clinical ImmunologyP Cullinan
Imperial College, London, UK
Clin Exp Allergy 33:1484-99. 2003
- How health care organizations can establish and conduct a program for a latex-safe environmentRobert H Brown
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Saf 29:113-23. 2003..In 1997 the Johns Hopkins Hospital created the interdisciplinary Latex Task Force to address the issue of creating, implementing, and evaluating a latex-safe environment...
- [A successfully treated case of intraoperative latex anaphylaxis during abdominal aorta aneurysm resection]Masashi Nakagawa
Department of Anesthesiology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease, Osaka 537 8511
Masui 52:10-3. 2003We experienced resuscitation from latex anaphylaxis induced by surgical gloves during elective abdominal aorta aneurysm resection in a low risk adult with latex allergy...
- Immunoadjuvant properties of glove cornstarch powder in latex-induced hypersensitivityJ Barbara
Laboratoire Universitaire de Recherche en Immuno Allergologie, Centre d Allergologie, Hopital Tenon, Paris, France
Clin Exp Allergy 33:106-12. 2003..Cornstarch powder present in medical gloves plays an important role in latex-induced hypersensitivity as allergen carrier either, by the inhalation route, by skin contact or by direct contact with mucous membranes...
- [Protein content of latex gloves used in hospitals]M Crippa
Cattedra di Medicina del Lavoro, Universita degli Studi di Brescia, Servizio di Medicina del Lavoro, Spedali Civili di Brescia
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 24:441-3. 2002..For latex allergic subjects it is necessary to pay attention in choosing nitryl gloves, especially as an alternative to natural rubber gloves since some brands may contain significant amounts of allergenic latex proteins...
- Choosing the right surgical glove: an overview and updateJudith Tanner
De Montfort University and University Hospitals, Leicester
Br J Nurs 17:740-4. 2008Sterile surgical gloves are routinely worn during all invasive procedures to prevent the two-way transmission of pathogens between the surgical team and the patient...
- The role of the FDA in the effort against AIDSF E Young
Office of Public Affairs, Rockville, MD 20857
Public Health Rep 103:242-5. 1988..and processing of condoms and begun a surveillance and sampling program to insure the quality of latex surgical gloves. The agency has worked with other authorities to move against quack AIDS products and to educate the public ..
- Natural rubber latex hypersensitivity with skin prick test in operating room personnelSeyed Hessamedin Nabavizadeh
Department of Pediatrics Allergy and Immunology, Yasuj University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 8:219-20. 2009..An informed consent was obtained and skin prick tests were performed for natural rubber latex and potential food cross reactions (kiwi, banana, and potato). The obtained data were analyzed by SPSS and Chi-square test...
- Suitability of Sterillium Gel for surgical hand disinfectionG Kampf
Bode Chemie GmbH and Co, Scientific Affairs, Hamburg, Germany
J Hosp Infect 54:222-5. 2003..found it suitable for surgical hand disinfection after a single use, which included putting on a pair of surgical gloves. Although none of them had ever used an alcohol-based gel before, they had rather been accustomed to alcohol-..
- Permeability of latex and thermoplastic elastomer gloves to the bacteriophage phi X174C P Hamann
Department of Clinical Research, SmartPractice, Phoenix, AZ 85008
Am J Infect Control 21:289-96. 1993..This pilot study therefore compared the protective barriers provided by latex and thermoplastic elastomer surgical gloves against penetration of the bacteriophage phi X174...
- Evaluation of a waterless, scrubless chlorhexidine gluconate/ethanol surgical scrub for antimicrobial efficacyG Mulberrry
Hill Top Research, Inc, Miamiville, Ohio 45147, USA
Am J Infect Control 29:377-82. 2001..After the first treatment on days 1, 2, and 5, surgical gloves were worn for 3 or 6 hours...
- Characterization of latex antigens and allergens in surgical gloves and natural rubber by immunoelectrophoretic methodsS Makinen-Kiljunen
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
J Allergy Clin Immunol 90:230-5. 1992..The surgical glove extract also demonstrated one allergen not found in natural rubber, suggesting that rubber proteins may be altered during glove manufacture...
- Spinal drop metastases from a papillary meningioma: a case report and review of the literature: utility of CSF samplingIbrahim Erkutlu
Gaziantep University School of Medicine, Gaziantep, Turkey
Med Oncol 26:242-6. 2009..operations for malignant tumors such as obstruction of the cisterna magna with cotton paddies, and changing surgical gloves and instruments during the operation...
- [Technique of intravitreal drug injection for therapy of vitreoretinal diseases]Eduardo Buchele Rodrigues
Instituto da Visão do Departamento de Oftalmologia da Universidade Federal de São Paulo São Paulo SP Brasil
Arq Bras Oftalmol 71:902-7. 2008..Injection shall be performed in the operating room under sterile conditions, the surgeon should wear surgical gloves and mask...
- Abrasion resistance of medical glove materialsDonna L Walsh
Office of Science and Technology HFZ 150, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, Food and Drug Administration, 9200 Corporate Boulevard, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 68:81-7. 2004..All test specimens, with the exception of the vinyl, were obtained from surgical gloves. Unaged out-of-the-box specimens as well as those subjected to various degrees of artificial aging were ..
- Survey of pet owners' expectations of surgical practice within first opinion veterinary clinics in Great BritainJ L Demetriou
Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
J Small Anim Pract 50:478-87. 2009..The expectations of small animal pet owners in Great Britain were evaluated on a number of issues regarding aseptic practice and clinical management and compared with final year veterinary students' assessment of actual veterinary practice...
- Post-operative consequences of glove powder used pre-operatively in the vagina in the rabbit modelA C Sjösten
Karolinska Institute, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Stockholm Söder Hospital, S 118 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Hum Reprod 15:1573-7. 2000..We therefore suggest that powder-free medical or surgical gloves should be used in obstetrics and gynaecology.
- Disproportionated rosin dehydroabietic acid in neoprene surgical glovesPaul D Siegel
Centers for Disease Control CDC National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health NIOSH, Morgantown, WV, USA
Dermatitis 21:157-9. 2010..Potential contact allergens in neoprene (polychloroisoprene, polychloroprene) gloves have not been reported...
- Glove powder increases Staphylococcus aureus abscess rate in a rat modelPaul Suding
Surgical Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Long Beach, California 90822, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 11:133-5. 2010Glove powder is used as a lubricant on the inner surface of many surgical gloves to aid in donning...
- Competitive immunoassay for antigenic latex protein measurement: rabbit antiserum-based assay compared to modified Lowry and human IgE-inhibition methodsH Chabane
Centre d allergie, , Paris, France
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 9:372-9. 1999..085 microgram/g of glove. Antigenic proteins measured by CIALP for 77 latex glove extracts (33 pairs of surgical gloves and 11 exam gloves) showed positive correlation with those of the modified Lowry method (r = 0.4; p < 0...
- Operator shielding: how and whyBeth A Schueler
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 13:167-71. 2010..Hand protection tools include leaded surgical gloves and protective patient drapes...
- [Undetected surgical glove perforation during emergency procedures]Silvia Cristine Soldá
Departamento de Cirurgia, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas da Santa Casa de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP
Rev Assoc Med Bras 55:597-600. 2009..The purpose of this prospective study was to evaluate the glove perforation rate in emergency procedures carried out in the Emergency Service of 'Santa Casa de São Paulo', School of Medicine...
- Glove perforation in hip and knee arthroplastyEmre Demircay
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Baskent University School of Medicine, Uskudar, Istanbul, Turkey
J Orthop Sci 15:790-4. 2010The transmission of blood-borne pathogens during surgery is a major concern. Surgical gloves are the primary barrier between the surgeon and the patient...
- What is the use? An international look at reuse of single-use medical devicesWalter Popp
Hospital Hygiene, University Clinics of Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Int J Hyg Environ Health 213:302-7. 2010..In many developing and transitional countries reuse of cheap single-use devices (needles, syringes, surgical gloves) is common leading to large numbers of unsafe interventions, specifically injections and, as a consequence, ..
- [Influence of assisted reproduction materials on germ cells and embryos]Bo Hu
Department of Reproductive Medicine, the First Affiliated Hospital of Xinjiang Medical University, Urumqi, Xinjiang 830054, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 14:826-8. 2008..To investigate the influence of the materials commonly used in the assisted reproduction procedure on human germ cells and embryo development...
- Laser safety in head and neck cancer surgeryFerhan Ahmed
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Aintree, Lower Lane, Liverpool L9 7AL, UK
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 267:1779-84. 2010..The beam was focused to 2 mm diameter at 402 mm focal length. Gauze swabs, neurosurgical patties, surgical gloves, paper drapes and conventional endotracheal (ET) tubes were tested against the following laser variables: ..
- [Patients, surgeons and surgical gloves]J J Duron
Service de Chirurgie Generale et Digestive, Hôpital de la Pitié Paris
J Chir (Paris) 137:108-12. 2000Consumption of surgical gloves in progressing constantly. All proposed products do not have the same qualities in terms of protection, comfort, and safety for the surgeon, the surgical team and the patient...
- [Synthesis and characterization of PEG-segmented polyurethane]Jianbin Luo
College of Polymer Science and Engineering, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610065, China
Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi 23:125-8. 2006..These data suggest that the materials are suitable for fabricating such biomedical articles as surgical gloves, wound dressing and medical protective coating.
- Survival of human coronaviruses 229E and OC43 in suspension and after drying onsurfaces: a possible source ofhospital-acquired infectionsJ Sizun
Human Health Research Center, INRS Institut Armand Frappier, University of Quebec, Laboratory of Neuroimmunovirology, Laval, Quebec, H7V 1B7, Canada
J Hosp Infect 46:55-60. 2000..drying, HCoV-229E infectivity was still detectable after 3h on various surfaces (aluminum, sterile latex surgical gloves, sterile sponges) but HCoV-OC43 survived 1h or less...
- Improved esthetic results with fine-tip Dermabond application techniqueAlberto Santibanez-Gallerani
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Craniofac Surg 15:890-2. 2004..substances, it is often difficult to avoid contact with the surrounding skin and foreign objects such as surgical gloves. A technique for the application of Dermabond is described in this report...
- A whole-glove method for the evaluation of surgical gloves as barriers to virusesJ R Nelson
Nelson Laboratories, Inc, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Am J Contact Dermat 10:183-9. 1999..Today, because of the wide variety of infectious agents encountered in the health care environment, clinicians must be particularly concerned about the potential for small-sized virus penetration through glove defects...
- NON-ALLERGENIC SURGICAL GLOVES AND CONDOMSJOHN GARDON; Fiscal Year: 2000b>Surgical gloves and condoms are currently made from vulcanized natural rubber (VNR) latex. Its protein content causes severe Type I allergies in sensitized individuals, involving major occupational and medical hazards...
- CUTANEOUS PATTERN PERCEPTIONJames Craig; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results will also be relevant to the effects that intermediate surfaces such as surgical gloves have on tactile sensitivity and to the measurement and understanding of neurological problems. ..
- STRUCTURAL MECHANISMS OPERATING IN UNRESPONSIVE ASTHMARobert Brown; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Evaluation of Traumatic Injuries in HCV During SurgeryDENISE KORNIEWICZ; Fiscal Year: 2004..Multivariate analysis will be conducted and logistic regression to determine the factors predictive of needlestick/sharp injuries to OR personnel. ..
- Antigen Specificity in Lofgren's syndromeJohan Grunewald; Fiscal Year: 2005..With improved understanding of innate and adaptive immune mechanisms in sarcoidosis, in particular the identification of a sarcoidosis antigen, novel strategies aimed at curing or even preventing sarcoidosis can be devised. ..