Summary: Implants used to reconstruct and/or cosmetically enhance the female breast. They have an outer shell or envelope of silicone elastomer and are filled with either saline or silicone gel. The outer shell may be either smooth or textured.
Publications207 found, 100 shown here
- Infection in breast implantsBrigitte Pittet
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, University of Geneva Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet Infect Dis 5:94-106. 2005..The current hypothesis of the possible role of low-grade or subclinical infection in the origin of capsular contracture is also reviewed...
- Sonication of removed breast implants for improved detection of subclinical infectionU M Rieger
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Aesthetic Surgery, University Hospital of Basel, Spitalstrasse 21, 4031, Basel, Switzerland
Aesthetic Plast Surg 33:404-8. 2009..Current diagnostic tests consist of intraoperative swabs and tissue biopsies. Sonication of removed implants may improve the diagnosis of implant infection by detachment of biofilms from the implant surface...
- Comparison of implant-based immediate breast reconstruction with and without acellular dermal matrixAndrew J Vardanian
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 128:403e-410e. 2011..Its performance profile remains equivocal. The authors studied whether adding it in implant-based immediate breast reconstruction improved outcomes when compared with non-acellular dermal matrix reconstruction...
- Surface modification of silicone breast implants by binding the antifibrotic drug halofuginone reduces capsular fibrosisPhilip H Zeplin
Department of Trauma, Hand, Plastic, and Reconstructive Surgery, University Hospital Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 126:266-74. 2010Capsular fibrosis is one of the most severe complications that can occur in connection with silicone breast implants. Should this case arise, a periprosthetic deposition of fibroid tissue may evolve...
- Detection of subclinical infection in significant breast implant capsulesAniko Pajkos
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Sydney, Australia
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:1605-11. 2003..significant capsular contracture was conducted to investigate the association of biofilm contamination, breast implants, and capsular contracture...
- Pilot study of association of bacteria on breast implants with capsular contractureJose L del Pozo
Division of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:1333-7. 2009..aim of this prospective observational pilot study was to test the hypothesis that the presence of bacteria on breast implants is associated with capsular contracture...
- Bacterial biofilms and capsular contracture in patients with breast implantsU M Rieger
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Br J Surg 100:768-74. 2013It has been hypothesized that bacterial biofilms on breast implants may cause chronic inflammation leading to capsular contracture. The association between bacterial biofilms of removed implants and capsular contracture was investigated.
- The use of acellular dermal matrix in immediate two-stage tissue expander breast reconstructionKatie E Weichman
New York University Langone Medical Center, Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, New York, NY, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 129:1049-58. 2012..This study was performed to analyze complications associated with its use in immediate two-stage, implant-based breast reconstruction and to subsequently develop guidelines for its use...
- Infectious complications following breast reconstruction with expanders and implantsMaurice Y Nahabedian
Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 112:467-76. 2003..29 times higher than when no lymph nodes were removed. No significant association between implant infection and age, diabetes, tobacco use, tumor stage, timing of implant insertion, or chemotherapy was found...
- Acellular dermis-assisted breast reconstructionS L Spear
Department of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University, 1st Floor PHC Building, 3800 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Aesthetic Plast Surg 32:418-25. 2008..This study aimed to examine the safety and efficacy of an acellular dermal sling in providing inferolateral support to the device during immediate breast reconstruction and expansion...
- Clinical and morphological conditions in capsular contracture formed around silicone breast implantsLukas Prantl
Department of Plastic Surgery, University Hospital Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:275-84. 2007A study was performed to investigate histological changes in capsules formed around silicone breast implants and their correlation with the clinical classification of capsular contracture defined by the Baker score...
- Use of the acellular dermal matrix in revisionary aesthetic breast surgeryG Patrick Maxwell
Department of Plastic Surgery, Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Aesthet Surg J 29:485-93. 2009..In these cases, surgeons are faced with either thinned breast tissues resulting from large breast implants with tissue stretch or encapsulation caused by excessive scarring...
- Breast implant research: where we have been, where we are, where we need to goV L Young
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Clin Plast Surg 28:451-83, vi. 2001This article summarizes the current state and future needs of research into saline-filled and silicone gel breast implants. The authors describe recent investigations into possible causes and potential risk factors for silicone gel and ..
- In vitro analysis of modified surfaces of silicone breast implantsW Siggelkow
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Aachen, Germany
Int J Artif Organs 27:1100-8. 2004Although silicone breast implants are well tolerated, local complications such as capsular contracture occur because of insufficient integration with surrounding tissues...
- Induction of hypergammaglobulinemia and macrophage activation by silicone gels and oils in female A.SW miceJ O Naim
Departments of Surgery, Rochester General Hospital, Rochester, New York 14621, USA
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 7:366-70. 2000..epidemiological studies have found little evidence of systemic autoimmune disease associated with silicone breast implants, there still remains a question of whether silicones can cause local and/or systemic immune dysfunction...
- Breast augmentation using the spectrum implant with exteriorized injection domesHilton Becker
Boca Raton Community Hospital, Boca Raton Outpatient Surgery and Laser Center, Boca Raton, Fla, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:1617-20; discussion 1621. 2004..Domes were exteriorized for 1 to 5 days to allow the implant volume to be altered in the early postoperative period. Thirty-three patients were treated without any infections...
- Difficulties with subpectoral augmentation mammaplasty and its correction: the role of subglandular site change in revision aesthetic breast surgeryMalcolm A Lesavoy
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 125:363-71. 2010..This study defines a correction modality for the adverse results of subpectoral implant placement in augmentation mammaplasty...
- Breast implants: the good, the bad and the ugly. Can nanotechnology improve implants?Judit E Puskas
College of Engineering, College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering, Goodyear Polymer Center, The University of Akron, Akron, OH, USA
Wiley Interdiscip Rev Nanomed Nanobiotechnol 4:153-68. 2012..The most prevalent issues involving breast implants include capsular contracture, gel bleed, implant rupture, and infection...
- Retrospective case review of capsular contracture after two-stage breast reconstruction: is colonization of the tissue expander pocket associated with subsequent implant capsular contracture?Sheina A Macadam
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Ann Plast Surg 53:420-4. 2004..0013). These results suggest that colonization of the expander occurs frequently, irradiation predisposes to contracture, and colonization did not contribute to secondary implant contracture in this study population...
- Acellular dermal matrix in aesthetic revisionary breast surgeryG Patrick Maxwell
Department of Plastic Surgery, Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, California, USA
Aesthet Surg J 31:65S-76S. 2011....
- The association of matrix Gla protein isomers with calcification in capsules surrounding silicone breast implantsLarry W Hunter
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Biomaterials 32:8364-73. 2011..that MGP, in its vitamin K-activated conformer, may represent a pharmacological target to sustain the health of the peri-prosthetic tissue which encapsulates silicone breast implants as well as other implanted silicone medical devices.
- Surface and mechanical analysis of explanted Poly Implant Prosthèse silicone breast implantsL Yildirimer
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Royal Free Hospital Hampstead NHS Trust, and University College London Centre for Nanotechnology and Regenerative Medicine, UCL Division of Surgery and Interventional Science, UCL, London, UK
Br J Surg 100:761-7. 2013The recent events surrounding Poly Implant Prosthèse (PIP) breast implants have renewed the debate about the safety profile of silicone implants...
- Late hematogenous bacterial infections of breast implants: two case reports of unique bacterial infectionsJill Chang
Changes Plastic Surgery, San Diego, CA, USA
Ann Plast Surg 67:14-6. 2011Late infections of breast implants are rare occurrences. We present 2 cases of late infections of breast implants, resulting from hematogenous spread from bacterial infection from distant sites...
- Degenerative mineralization in the fibrous capsule of silicone breast implantsAndré P Legrand
Laboratoire de Physique Quantique, ESPCI, 10 rue Vauquelin, 75005, Paris, France
J Mater Sci Mater Med 16:477-85. 2005The formation of a fibrous capsule made of long collagen fibers surrounding breast implants represents an unavoidable phenomenon as the patient's reaction to the presence of a foreign body...
- Subclinical infection in breast capsulesDavid T Netscher
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:818-20. 2004
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of complications associated with acellular dermal matrix-assisted breast reconstructionGoretti Ho
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Ann Plast Surg 68:346-56. 2012..The purpose of this study was to conduct a systematic review and meta-analysis to determine an aggregate estimate of risks associated with ADM-assisted breast reconstruction...
- Public health implications of differences in U.S. and European Union regulatory policies for breast implantsDiana Zuckerman
National Research Center for Women and Families, Washington, DC, USA
Reprod Health Matters 20:102-11. 2012The recall of tens of thousands of defective breast implants in Europe in 2011-12 as well as new data on risks have raised questions about regulatory standards for these and other medical implants in the United States (U.S...
- Acellular dermal matrix for the treatment and prevention of implant-associated breast deformitiesScott L Spear
Department of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 127:1047-58. 2011..This study investigates the use of acellular dermal matrix for correction or prevention of implant-associated breast deformities...
- Still's disease, lupus-like syndrome, and silicone breast implants. A case of 'ASIA' (Shoenfeld's syndrome)L J Jara
Hospital de Especialidades Centro Medico La Raza, IMSS, Mexico City, Mexico
Lupus 21:140-5. 2012..At the age of 22 she underwent silicone breast implants and presented with a transient lupus-like syndrome...
- Silicone breast implants: correlation between implant ruptures, magnetic resonance spectroscopically estimated silicone presence in the liver, antibody status and clinical symptomsM Gaubitz
Department of Medicine B, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Rheumatology (Oxford) 41:129-35; discussion 123-4. 2002To determine the impact of implant integrity on clinical symptoms and antibody status in women with silicone breast implants (SBIs).
- Immediate reconstruction with an expander/implant following ablatio mammae because of breast cancer : side effects and cosmetic results after adjuvant chest wall radiotherapyMarc D Piroth
Department of Radiotherapy, University Hospital, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 185:669-74. 2009..The aim of the present study was to assess the influence of adjuvant radiotherapy on morbidity and patient satisfaction after allogenous breast reconstruction...
- Breast implants following mastectomy in women with early-stage breast cancer: prevalence and impact on survivalGem M Le
Northern California Cancer Center, Fremont, California, USA
Breast Cancer Res 7:R184-93. 2005Few studies have examined the effect of breast implants after mastectomy on long-term survival in breast cancer patients, despite growing public health concern over potential long-term adverse health effects.
- Epidemiology of silicone-gel breast implantsS Lori Brown
Office of Surveillance and Biometrics, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Epidemiology 13:S34-9. 2002Silicone breast implants have been marketed in the United States since 1963. Questions remain unanswered on the safety of these medical devices despite their popularity and availability...
- Immunogenetic differences between Caucasian women with and those without silicone implants in whom myositis developsTerrance O'Hanlon
Environmental Autoimmunity Group, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, NIH, 9 Memorial Drive, Bethesda, MD 10892, USA
Arthritis Rheum 50:3646-50. 2004To determine whether patients in whom myositis develops after they receive silicone breast implants have distinct clinical, serologic, and/or immunogenetic features compared with patients with myositis who do not have silicone implants.
- Silicone breast implants and connective tissue disease: no associationLoren Lipworth
International Epidemiology Institute, 1455 Research Blvd, Suite 550, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Semin Immunopathol 33:287-94. 2011The association of silicone breast implants with connective tissue diseases (CTDs), including systemic sclerosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia, as well as a hypothesized new "atypical" disease, ..
- Immediate breast reconstruction-impact on radiation managementRavi A Shankar
Department of Radiation Oncology, Howard University Hospital, Washington DC 20060, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 95:286-95. 2003..reconstruction is performed by insertion of a temporary tissue expander prior to the placement of permanent breast implants. Some of these patients, following mastectomy, may require chest wall irradiation to prevent loco regional ..
- Breast implants as a possible etiology of epithelioid hemangioendothelioma and successful therapy with interferon-alpha2Robert de Wilton Marsh
University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida
Breast J 11:257-61. 2005..This review proposes polyurethane/silicone breast implants as a potential cause of the condition and highlights the dramatic response to interferon (IFN)-alpha in a ..
- Prospective cohort study of breast implants and the risk of connective-tissue diseasesI Min Lee
Division of Preventive Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Int J Epidemiol 40:230-8. 2011A 2000 meta-analysis indicated no overall association between breast implants and risk of connective-tissue diseases (CTDs)...
- Staged breast reconstruction with saline-filled implants in the irradiated breast: recent trends and therapeutic implicationsS L Spear
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 105:930-42. 2000..Purely autologous reconstruction such as a TRAM flap is another option for these patients, either before or after radiation therapy...
- Immediate bilateral breast reconstruction with implants and inferolateral AlloDerm slingsKarl H Breuing
Division of Plastic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ann Plast Surg 55:232-9. 2005..We have selectively used this technique as a reconstructive option for 10 women undergoing bilateral mastectomy (20 breasts)...
- Breast lymphoma associated with breast implants: two case-reports and a review of the literatureGuylaine Gaudet
Department of Adult Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 43:115-9. 2002..Even fewer cases of breast lymphomas have been reported in women who have received breast implants. Silicone, a frequent component of breast implants, has been extensively investigated as a possible etiologic ..
- Evaluation of the rupture of silicone breast implants by mammography, ultrasonography and magnetic resonance imaging in asymptomatic patients: correlation with surgical findingsAnabel Medeiros Scaranelo
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 122:41-7. 2004Different imaging methods can identify the integrity of breast implants and also the extent of possible silicone leakage...
- Evaluation of HDR interstitial breast implants planned by conventional and optimized CT-based dosimetry systems with respect to dose homogeneity and conformalityTibor Major
Radiotherapy Department, National Institute of Oncology, 7 9 Rath Gy u, 1122 Budapest, Hungary
Strahlenther Onkol 181:89-96. 2005..The aim of this study was to make dosimetric comparisons between conventional (CONV) and CT-based optimized dosimetry systems applied to breast implants.
- An outbreak of Mycobacterium jacuzzii infection following insertion of breast implantsG Rahav
Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Clin Infect Dis 43:823-30. 2006Surgical wound infections caused by rapidly growing mycobacteria developed in 15 women after insertion of breast implants from August to November 2003 at a single medical center.
- Seroma-associated primary anaplastic large-cell lymphoma adjacent to breast implants: an indolent T-cell lymphoproliferative disorderAnja C Roden
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mod Pathol 21:455-63. 2008..four patients with primary T-cell anaplastic large-cell lymphoma presenting adjacent to silicone or saline breast implants. All patients presented with seroma and neoplastic cells were identified in suspension in the serous fluid ..
- Immediate breast reconstruction in two stages using textured, integrated-valve tissue expanders and breast implantsScott L Spear
Division of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:2098-103. 2004
- Risk of connective tissue disease and related disorders among women with breast implants: a nation-wide retrospective cohort study in SwedenO Nyren
Department of Medical Epidemiology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
BMJ 316:417-22. 1998To examine the relation between connective tissue disease and related conditions and breast implants.
- Ki67, HSP70 and TUNEL for the specification of testing of silicone breast implants in vivoWulf Siggelkow
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aachen
J Mater Sci Mater Med 15:1355-60. 2004This investigation of capsular tissue adjacent to silicone breast implants concerns the long-term tissue response to the implant environment. Fifty-three silicone breast implants have been analyzed at the time of explantation...
- Silicone breast implants and connective tissue disease: an updated review of the epidemiologic evidenceLoren Lipworth
International Epidemiology Institute, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Ann Plast Surg 52:598-601. 2004..through 1999, which have been conducted to evaluate the potential association between cosmetic silicone breast implants and the occurrence of well-defined connective tissue diseases, as well as a hypothesized new atypical disease,..
- The Mentor Core Study on Silicone MemoryGel Breast ImplantsBruce Cunningham
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Minnesota, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:19S-29S; discussion 30S-32S. 2007..In 2005, convincing safety and efficacy data were presented, resulting in the approval of Mentor MemoryGel Implants, with conditions...
- The owl technique combined with the inferior pedicle in mastopexyHugo D Loustau
Plastic Surgery Department, Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires, University of Buenos Aires, School of Medicine, Gascon, 450, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Aesthetic Plast Surg 32:11-5; discussion 16-7. 2008..The authors aim to show the results from combining the owl technique with the inferior pedicle for the treatment of patients who have mammary ptosis with or without hypertrophy...
- Inamed silicone breast implant core study results at 6 yearsScott L Spear
Department of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC 20007 2113, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:8S-16S; discussion 17S-18S. 2007Silicone gel-filled breast implants were developed in 1962 but did not fall under the auspices of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration until 1976 and were not classified as class III devices until 1988...
- Style 410 highly cohesive silicone breast implant core study results at 3 yearsBradley P Bengtson
Plastic Surgery Associates and Medical Education Research Center, Grand Rapids, Mich 49503, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:40S-48S. 2007..In February of 2001, Allergan (formerly Inamed) began an Investigational Device Exemption study of a shaped breast implant: the Style 410 highly cohesive silicone-filled breast implant...
- Textured surface breast implants in the prevention of capsular contracture among breast augmentation patients: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsG Philip Barnsley
Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic Surgery, Dalhousie University
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:2182-90. 2006Capsular contracture is a common complication associated with the use of breast implants. Numerous randomized controlled trials addressing the efficacy of textured surface breast implants in reducing capsular contracture have yielded ..
- Local complications after cosmetic breast implant surgery in FinlandIlona Kulmala
Tampere School of Public Health, Tampere University, Finland
Ann Plast Surg 53:413-9. 2004Concerns regarding potential health effects of silicone breast implants have recently shifted from long-term illnesses to postoperative local complications...
- Interference of breast implants with echocardiographic image acquisition and interpretationMohammad Reza Movahed
University of Arizona Sarver Heart Center, Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Cardiovasc Ultrasound 5:9. 2007..b>Breast implants are increasing in popularity in the USA and the Federal Drug and Food Administration (FDA) just approved ..
- Pathology of lymph nodes from patients with breast implants: a histologic and spectroscopic evaluationWilliam E Katzin
Departments of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 29:506-11. 2005..are only a few published reports describing the pathology of regional lymph nodes from patients with silicone breast implants. Systematic analytical chemical verification of foreign material has not previously been reported...
- Augmentation mammaplasty with anatomic soft, cohesive silicone implant using the transaxillary approach at a subfascial level with endoscopic assistanceJoseMaría Serra-Renom
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University Clinic Hospital, University of Barcelona Medical School, Aesthetic Surgery Institute Dr Serra Renom, Barcelona, Spain
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:640-5. 2005..Many augmentation mammaplasty techniques have been developed paying special attention to incision location and pocket plane to achieve more natural-looking breasts...
- [Round and anatomical mammary implants. Respective advantages and disadvantages]E Auclair
IECEP, 10, rue Anna Jacquin, 92100 Boulogne, France
Ann Chir Plast Esthet 50:505-16. 2005..He shows a strategie of mammary augmentation that favorise the premuscular position and define the respective place of round and anatomical implants...
- Style 410 cohesive silicone breast implants: safety and effectiveness at 5 to 9 years after implantationPer Hedén
Department of Plastic Surgery, Akademikliniken Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:1281-7. 2006..To date, little has been published on this implant despite its widespread use in Europe, and no data are available on its long-term rupture rate...
- Early experience with an anatomical soft cohesive silicone gel prosthesis in cosmetic and reconstructive breast implant surgeryBirgit H Fruhstorfer
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Cambridge Breast Unit, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Ann Plast Surg 53:536-42. 2004..Anatomic soft cohesive gel implants provide excellent results in selected cases. They are well accepted by patients and not associated with an increased rate of complications...
- Cancer risk among Los Angeles women with cosmetic breast implantsDennis M Deapen
Department of Preventive Medicine, Division of Plastic Surgery, and Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:1987-92. 2007As the first generation of women who received cosmetic breast implants ages, questions remain about cancer risk...
- Breast cancer following augmentation mammoplasty - a review of its impact on prognosis and managementS A McIntosh
Department of Surgery, Leeds General Infirmary, Great George Street, Leeds LS1 3EX, UK
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 60:1127-35. 2007..This article reviews the literature on the prognosis of breast cancer patients with a history of augmentation mammoplasty and examines the available data regarding their surgical treatment...
- Prospective study comparing two brands of cohesive gel breast implants with anatomic shape: 5-year follow-up evaluationIgor Niechajev
Lidingö Clinic, Torsvägen 30, S 181 32 Lidingö, Sweden
Aesthetic Plast Surg 31:697-710. 2007The new generation of breast implants has an anatomic shape. These implants are made with a textured shell and filled with a cohesive silicone gel...
- Inflammatory F-18 FDG uptake secondary to ruptured breast prosthesisPeeyush Bhargava
Division of Nuclear Medicine, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY 07073, USA
Clin Nucl Med 31:227-8. 2006..The patient underwent surgery for the replacement of the prosthesis, which did not show any evidence of neoplastic disease...
- Platinum in silicone breast implantsMichael A Brook
Department of Chemistry, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street W, Hamilton, Ont, Canada L8S 4M1
Biomaterials 27:3274-86. 2006Silicone elastomers are widely used in implantable devices, including silicone breast implants. These rubbers are generally formed/cured using platinum-catalyzed hydrosilylation...
- The diagnosis of silicone breast-implant rupture: clinical findings compared with findings at magnetic resonance imagingLisbet Rosenkrantz Hölmich
Danish Cancer Society, Institute of Cancer Epidemiology, Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann Plast Surg 54:583-9. 2005..In this study, we found that when a clinical examination is used as the sole diagnostic tool to identify implant rupture, neither the sensitivity nor the specificity is acceptable...
- Silicone filled breast implants and the risk of fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritisF Wolfe
Arthritis Research Center and University of Kansas School of Medicine, Wichita, KS 67214, USA
J Rheumatol 26:2025-8. 1999..It has been hypothesized that silicone (filled) breast implants (SBI) might be causally related to the development of FM...
- Multicenter study to assess potential hazards from exposure to lipid peroxidation products in soya bean oil from Trilucent breast implantsG M Williams
Department of Pathology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 53:107-20. 2009....
- Lumpy silicone-injected breasts: enhanced MRI and microscopic correlationYun Chung Cheung
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 5 Fu Hsing Street, Kwei Shan, Tao Yuan Hsien, Taiwan
Clin Imaging 26:397-404. 2002..On the other hand, these illustrations indicated the importance of enhancement technique in detecting the cancers and in differentiating the angiogenic lesions from nonenhanced silicone granulomas...
- Breast augmentation and reconstructive surgery: MR imaging of implant rupture and malignancyChristoph U Herborn
Institute of Diagnostic Radiology, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur Radiol 12:2198-206. 2002..Magnetic resonance imaging is a reliable and reproducible technique for diagnosing both implant rupture and malignant lesions in women after breast augmentation and reconstruction...
- Women's psychosocial outcomes of breast augmentation with silicone gel-filled implants: a 2-year prospective studyThomas F Cash
Department of Psychology, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA 23529 0267, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:2112-21; discussion 2122-3. 2002..surrounding the Food and Drug Administration's voluntary moratorium on the use of silicone gel-filled breast implants, which occurred during the study, revealed a limited effect, if any, on women's psychosocial outcomes...
- Safety and effectiveness of Mentor's MemoryGel implants at 6 yearsBruce Cunningham
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Minnesota Medical School, Mayo Memorial Bldg, 420 Delaware Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Aesthetic Plast Surg 33:440-4. 2009..2006, the FDA approved the Premarket Approval PMA applications for the round, cohesive, silicone gel-filled breast implants of Mentor (MemoryGel) and Allergan...
- Comparison of the capsular response to the Biocell RTV and Mentor 1600 Siltex breast implant surface texturing: a scanning electron microscopic studyA M Danino
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Saint Louis University Hospital of Paris, France
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:2047-52. 2001..If this last is not directly linked to the prevention of capsular contracture, it can have an effect on implant stabilization in the primary mammary reconstruction and in the secondary corrections of asymmetry or bad position...
- Do silicone breast implants cause rheumatologic disorders? A systematic review for a court-appointed national science panelP Tugwell
Centre for Global Health, University of Ottawa, Institute of Population Health, Ontario, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 44:2477-84. 2001..Panel to assess whether existing studies provide scientific evidence of an association between silicone breast implants and systemic classic/accepted connective disease, atypical connective disease, and certain signs and symptoms ..
- Infections related to breast implants reported to the Food and Drug Administration, 1977-1997S L Brown
Office of Surveillance and Biometrics, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
J Long Term Eff Med Implants 11:1-12. 2001..There was a large increase in the number of reports on infections related to breast implants between 1992 and 1995 due to the publicity and litigation surrounding breast implants...
- Complications in breast augmentation: prevention and correctionM A Codner
Paces Plastic Surgery, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Plast Surg 28:587-95; discussion 596. 2001..Patients should understand clearly the immediate and long-term risks associated with breast augmentation and the requirement for future reoperation...
- Breast augmentation with full-height anatomic saline implants: the pros and consJ B Tebbetts
Clin Plast Surg 28:567-77. 2001..Absent the willingness and skills development to meet these requirements, surgeons should avoid using anatomic implants...
- Patient evaluation, operative planning, and surgical techniques to increase control and reduce morbidity and reoperations in breast augmentationJ B Tebbetts
Clin Plast Surg 28:501-21. 2001....
- Monocyte-dependent stimulation of human T cells by silicon dioxideD L Smalley
Baptist Regional Laboratories, The University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tenn, USA
Pathobiology 66:302-5. 1998..These results confirm the T-cell response to silicon dioxide is monocyte-dependent and not a superantigen as has been speculated...
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance and exposure to breast implantsE W Karlson
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115
Arch Intern Med 161:864-7. 2001..Animal studies and uncontrolled case series in humans have suggested a possible association between breast implant exposure and monoclonal gammopathy...
- Textured-surface saline-filled silicone breast implants for augmentation mammaplastyS L Spear
Division of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 105:1542-52; discussion 1553-4. 2000The earliest silicone breast implants were smooth-surface, silicone rubber devices filled with either silicone gel or saline...
- Meta-analyses of the relation between silicone breast implants and the risk of connective-tissue diseasesE C Janowsky
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
N Engl J Med 342:781-90. 2000The postulated relation between silicone breast implants and the risk of connective-tissue and autoimmune diseases has generated intense medical and legal interest during the past decade...
- Analysis of risk factors associated with rupture of silicone gel breast implantsL J Feng
Mount Sinai Medical Center, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 104:955-63. 1999..The knowledge will enable the medical community to better advise their breast implant population regarding durability and appropriate time for removal or replacement...
- Anaplastic large-cell lymphoma in women with breast implantsDaphne de Jong
Department of Pathology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, Amsterdam 1066CX, The Netherlands
JAMA 300:2030-5. 2008..Similar cases have been reported in the literature. Although an increased risk of ALCL in patients with breast prostheses has been speculated, no studies have been conducted so far...
- Subfascial breast implant: a new procedureRuth Maria Graf
Plastic Surgery Department, Federal University of Parana, Curitiba, Brazil
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:904-8. 2003..These technical details lead to fewer patient complaints. Morbidity is similar to that of other techniques...
- Women's health after plastic surgeryH Englert
Westmead Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Intern Med J 31:77-89. 2001BACKGROUND: Allegations that exposure to endogenous silicone, especially related to breast implants, might be causally related to connective tissue disease originated from case studies...
- Cohesive silicone gel breast implants in aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgeryMitchell H Brown
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:768-79; discussion 780-1. 2005Cohesive silicone gel breast implants are composed of a textured silicone elastomer shell and are filled with cohesive silicone gel...
- F-18 FDG positron emission tomographic imaging in a case of ruptured breast implant: inflammation or recurrent tumor?Robert Hurwitz
Department of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach, California 92658 6100, USA
Clin Nucl Med 28:755-6. 2003..An F-18 FDG PET scan demonstrated intense uptake in these nodes. Lymph node biopsy demonstrated benign inflammatory reaction and no recurrence of malignancy...
- Effect of breast augmentation on the accuracy of mammography and cancer characteristicsDiana L Miglioretti
Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash 98101, USA
JAMA 291:442-50. 2004..Breast augmentation is not associated with an increased risk of breast cancer; however, implants may interfere with the detection of breast cancer thereby delaying cancer diagnosis in women with augmentation...
- Silicone breast implants may be close to US approvalAlicia Ault
Lancet 362:1384. 2003
- Immediate breast reconstruction with saline-filled implants: no interference with the oncologic outcome?E Vandeweyer
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department and the Breast Diseases Surgery Department at Jules Bordet Institute for Cancer, Brussels, Belgium
Plast Reconstr Surg 107:1409-12. 2001..immediate breast reconstruction with saline-filled implants, 49 patients reconstructed with saline-filled breast implants at the Jules Bordet Cancer Institute were studied...
- Long-term health status of Danish women with silicone breast implantsVibeke B Breiting
Holte Clinic of Plastic Surgery, Denmark
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:217-26; discussion 227-8. 2004Long-term safety data are important in the evaluation of possible adverse health outcomes related to silicone breast implants. The authors evaluated long-term symptoms and conditions and medication use among 190 Danish women with ..
- Matrix metalloproteinases, tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases, aminoterminal propeptide of procollagen type III, and hyaluronan in sera and tissue of patients with capsular contracture after augmentation with Trilucent breast implantsDietmar Ulrich
Department of Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery, University Hospital, Aachen University of Technology, Aachen, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:229-36. 2004..In the histologic evaluation, there was a chronic inflammatory reaction in the capsules around the breast implants and refracting material within the substance...
- MR imaging of extracapsular silicone from breast implants: diagnostic pitfallsWendie A Berg
Department of Radiology, University of Maryland, University Imaging Center, 419 W Redwood St, Ste 110, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 178:465-72. 2002..We sought to identify pitfalls in recognition of extracapsular silicone on MR imaging...
- Reduction of capsular thickness around silicone breast implants by zafirlukast in ratsA Spano
Plastic Surgery Unit, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
Eur Surg Res 41:8-14. 2008..Our study confirms the effectiveness of this compound in preventing fibrosis and putatively also in reducing the extent of collagen reaction when a capsule has been formed...
- Mortality among augmentation mammoplasty patientsL A Brinton
Environmental Epidemiology Branch, National Cancer Institute, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Room 7068, Bethesda, MD 20892-7234, USA
Epidemiology 12:321-6. 2001Much attention has focused on disease risks among women receiving silicone breast implants, but there has been little evaluation of their mortality experience...
- Capsular contracture in subglandular breast augmentation with textured versus smooth breast implants: a systematic reviewChin Ho Wong
Department of Plastic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:1224-36. 2006..The authors reviewed the literature to evaluate the effectiveness of surface texturization in reducing capsular contracture...
- Retromammary fluid collection as a late complication of breast implants: magnetic resonance imaging findingsVictor Pineda
Department of Radiology, H G Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
J Comput Assist Tomogr 28:386-9. 2004..It is important for radiologists to know the MRI findings of this complication, which suggest the correct diagnosis, avoiding unnecessary additional procedures...
- Use of the rectus sternalis in augmentation mammoplasty: case report and literature searchUmar Daraz Khan
Belvedere Private Hospital, Knee Hill Abbeywood, London, SE2 0GD, UK
Aesthetic Plast Surg 32:21-4. 2008..The rectus sternalis, an nomalous muscle, may interfere with the submuscular pocket dissection when an intraalveolar or submammary approach is used. The use of this muscle to cover the prosthesis in its most medial part is presented...
- MOC-PSSM CME article: Breast reconstructionLeif Sigurdson
Division of Plastic Surgery, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 3A7, Canada
Plast Reconstr Surg 121:1-12. 2008..3. Gain knowledge about the indications and contraindications for different breast reconstructive procedures. 4. Understand the complications inherent to different reconstructive breast procedures...
- Stem Cell Based Soft Tissue ReconstructionJeremy J Mao; Fiscal Year: 2010..and with severe clinical consequences as exemplified by the reported negative sequela of silicone breast implants. The surgical literature is replete with continuing aspiration to 'grow'patient's own soft ..
- Novel Translucent Nanocomposite BiomaterialsJudit E Puskas; Fiscal Year: 2010..The existing design and material choice of silicone rubber for breast implants are associated with health complications, such as gel bleed and capsular contracture, to require patients to ..
- COX-2 Mediated Vascular Toxicity of MethylenedianilineTAMMY DUGAS; Fiscal Year: 2003..polyurethanes, which are made into a plethora of products ranging from floor coverings to dialysis tubing and breast implants. This new discovery raises the possibility that other aromatic amines, ubiquitous compounds found in a ..
- PET Imaging of Breast Cancer via Sigma-2 ReceptorsRobert Mach; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., women with dense breast tissue, breast implants, or scar tissue for an earlier biopsy study) that interfere with the identification of abnormalities that may ..
- PET Imaging of Breast Cancer via Sigma-2 ReceptorsRobert Mach; Fiscal Year: 2003..e., women with dense breast tissue, breast implants, or scar tissue for an earlier biopsy study) that interfere with the identification of abnormalities that may ..
- IMMOBILIZATION OF ANTIMICROBIAL PEPTIDESLISE DURAN; Fiscal Year: 1992..Infection of catheters, orthopedic and dental prostheses, vascular grafts and valves, pacemaker leads, breast implants, and cerebrospinal fluid shunts can lead to re-operation, amputation, or death...
- Microarray Analysis of WoundsAMY COLWELL; Fiscal Year: 2004..We hypothesize these genes can be used to modulate the biology of adult wound healing. This first step will form our basis for developing treatment to induce scarless healing. ..
- Obesity, Body Image and Weight MaintenanceDAVID SARWER; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies have been selected to further develop my knowledge of the treatment of obesity, and the training program has been designed to facilitate my development as an independent investigator in the field of obesity. ..
- 3D Adipose Tissue Generation and Functional VerificationCharles Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Changes in sexual function following bariatric surgeryDAVID SARWER; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed study is innovative, as it will provide new and important information on the long-term effects of bariatric surgery on these important areas of quality of life. ..
- BREAST CANCER STAGING WITH MRI PRIOR RE-EXCISIONSusan Orel; Fiscal Year: 2001..Correlation of MRI, mammographic, clinical, and pathological findings will generate a profile of patients at risk for occult, diffuse or multifocal disease who should undergo MRI prior to treatment recommendation. ..
- VASCULARIZATION IN TISSUE ENGINEERED CONSTRUCTSCharles Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2001..does TEC-recipient inosculation play in TEC vascularization? (b) What are the biological functions of CD144, principally with regards to its role in inosculation and its regulation by the unique TEC microenvironment? ..
- Postoperative dietary counseling after bariatric surgeryDAVID SARWER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results of this study could have a significant impact on the postoperative care of these individuals. ..
- HEROIN AIDS ENCEPHALOPATHY--NEUROPATHOGENESIS MECHANISMSMadhavan Nair; Fiscal Year: 2005..Further studies will elucidate the molecular mechanisms underlying the immuno- and neuropathogenic effects of heroin use in HIV-l infection, and may yield novel therapies for the treatment of heroin using, HIV-infected patients. ..
- AIDS encephalopathy and HIV disease: role of opioidsMadhavan Nair; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- World Workshop in Oral Medicine IVPeter Lockhart; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proceedings will be published as evidence-based recommendations for best clinical practice in Oral Medicine as well as providing suggestions for future basic science and clinical research. ..
- New Technology for Computed RadiographyAndrew Karellas; Fiscal Year: 2008..The potential impact of this inherently low-cost high resolution CR plate reader in a cassette-like package can be very high as it can be easily adapted to the needs of current clinical practice. ..
- Communication Between Patients and their ProvidersPATRICIA PARKER; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Immunopathogenesis of HIV-1 Infection: Role of MethamphetamineMadhavan P Nair; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- DIGITAL MAMMOGRAPHY HIGH RESOLUTION FLAT PANEL IMAGERAndrew Karellas; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposed prototype using an array of seamlessly tiled CCDs coupled to a structured CsI:TI scintillator by a non-tapering fiberoptic plate will deliver the highest resolution than any other flat panel mammographic detector. ..
- Archiving the Charleston Heart StudyPaul Nietert; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Bacteremia from Dental Extraction vs. Oral HygienePeter Lockhart; Fiscal Year: 2004..Additionally, we will have unique and critical data for the development of both future research and evidence-based guidelines concerning antibiotic prophylaxis for individuals currently felt to be at risk for DSI. ..
- Cocaine/Immuno and Neuropathogenesis of HIV-1 InfectionMadhavan Nair; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies may lead to novel anti-HIV therapies such as targeting the CD4 independent, virus attachment receptor, DC-SIGN, or devising inhibitors of TDO and DC-SIGN or stimulating costimulatory molecules. ..
- ANTIOXIDANTS AND FEMALE HORMONES IN THE ETIOLOGY OF RAElizabeth Karlson; Fiscal Year: 2002..RA will be confirmed by a screening questionnaire regarding rheumatic symptoms and review of medical records. The study will identify potentially modifiable risk factors for primary prevention of RA. ..
- Dermatopharmacokinetics: In Vivo Analysis of SolventsKarla Thrall; Fiscal Year: 2005..To evaluate the kinetics and dermal bioavailability of ethylbenzene, styrene, and toluene vapor using F344 rats. ..
- Influence of Uncertainty and Communication on AdjustmentPATRICIA PARKER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed K07 Research Award would allow Dr. Parker to transition into an independent researcher in cancer prevention with a focus on psycho-oncology and physician-patient communication. ..
- Colon and liver anticarcinogenicity by acetaminophenGary Williams; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, these experiments will provide support for the epidemiological observations of reduced cancer risk associated with the use of APAP. ..
- Incidence & Outcomes of SSI After Breast Cancer SurgeryMargaret Olsen; Fiscal Year: 2008....