- Predictors of functional outcome following transsyndesmotic screw fixation of ankle fractures
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
J Orthop Trauma 19:102-8. 2005
- Primary pedicle screw augmentation in osteoporotic lumbar vertebrae: biomechanical analysis of pedicle fixation strength
Daniel J Burval
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland Clinic Spine Institute, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1077-83. 2007
..Pedicle screw pullout testing in osteoporotic and control human cadaveric vertebrae, comparing augmented and control vertebrae...
- Risk factors in cutout of sliding hip screw in intertrochanteric fractures: an evaluation of 937 patients
Kuang Kai Hsueh
Departments of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University, Taiwan, Republic of China corrected
Int Orthop 34:1273-6. 2010
..In order to decrease the risk of lag-screw cutout, it is important to ensure good fracture reduction and to place the lag screw in either the middle/middle or inferior/middle position with appropriate TAD...
- Trochanteric gamma nail and compression hip screw for trochanteric fractures: a randomized, prospective, comparative study in 210 elderly patients with a new design of the gamma nail
A Lizaur Utrilla
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital General Elda, Elda, Alicante, Spain
J Orthop Trauma 19:229-33. 2005
..To compare the results between a new intramedullary Gamma nail and a compression hip screw in the treatment of trochanteric fractures...
- Factors associated with the stability of titanium screws placed in the posterior region for orthodontic anchorage
Department of Orthodontics, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Japan
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 124:373-8. 2003
- Pertrochanteric fractures: is there an advantage to an intramedullary nail?: a randomized, prospective study of 206 patients comparing the dynamic hip screw and proximal femoral nail
Clinique d orthopédie et de chirurgie de l appareil moteur, Hopital Cantonal Universitaire, Geneva, Switzerland
J Orthop Trauma 16:386-93. 2002
..To compare the results between a sliding compression hip screw and an intramedullary nail in the treatment of pertrochanteric fractures...
- Increase of pullout strength of spinal pedicle screws with conical core: biomechanical tests and finite element analyses
Ching Chi Hsu
Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Taipei 106, Taiwan
J Orthop Res 23:788-94. 2005
- Do miniscrews remain stationary under orthodontic forces?
Eric J W Liou
Department of Orthodontics and Craniofacial Dentistry, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Graduate School of Craniofacial Medicine, Chang Gung University, 199 Tung Hwa North Road, Taipei 105, Taiwan
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 126:42-7. 2004
- Operative versus nonoperative management of acute odontoid Type II fractures: a meta-analysis
Department of Neurosurgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 11:651-8. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the feasibility of the criteria described in the literature as the indications for surgery for acute Type II odontoid fractures...
- Biomechanical properties of orthodontic miniscrews. An in-vitro study
Department of Orthodontics, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Orofac Orthop 71:53-67. 2010
..Comparing five commercially-available miniscrew types for skeletal anchorage with regard to the biomechanical properties influencing their primary stability...
- A comparison of proximal femoral nail antirotation and dynamic hip screw devices in trochanteric fractures
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University, Suzhou, Jiangsu, China
J Int Med Res 37:1057-64. 2009
..There were no significant differences in functional outcome between the PFNA and the DHS groups. In conclusion, the PFNA device is useful in the treatment of trochanteric fractures...
- Analysis of biomechanical changes after removal of instrumentation in lumbar arthrodesis by finite element analysis
Ho Joong Kim
Yonsei Sarang Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Med Biol Eng Comput 48:703-9. 2010
..This study demonstrated that removal of pedicle screws could decrease stiffness of fusion segments, which would reduce the disk stress of adjacent segments...
- Ball tip technique for thoracic pedicle screw placement in patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis
Department of Advanced Treatment for Spine and Spinal Cord Disorders, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Neurosurg Spine 13:246-52. 2010
..To further enhance the accuracy and safety of TPS placement, the authors developed the ball tip technique...
- Clinical evaluation of anterior screw fixation for elderly patients with type II odontoid fractures
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Changzheng Hospital, Shanghai, China
J Spinal Disord Tech 24:E75-81. 2011
..A retrospective study of elderly patients who underwent anterior screw fixation for type II odontoid fractures between 2000 and 2009 was conducted...
- Biomechanical comparison of two different concepts for stand alone anterior lumbar interbody fusion
Center for Spinal Surgery and Neurotraumatology, BG Unfallklinik Frankfurt, Friedberger Landstrasse 430, 60389, Frankfurt, Germany
Eur Spine J 17:1757-65. 2008
..Clinical investigation of the test device seems reasonable based on the good results reported here...
- Biomechanical comparison of different techniques in primary spinal surgery in osteoporotic cadaveric lumbar vertebrae: expansive pedicle screw versus polymethylmethacrylate-augmented pedicle screw
Department of Orthopaedics, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi Province, People s Republic of China
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 131:1227-32. 2011
..The purpose of this study was to compare the stability of EPS and PMMA-PS in primary spinal surgery...
- Clinical accuracy of three-dimensional fluoroscopy-based computer-assisted cervical pedicle screw placement: a retrospective comparative study of conventional versus computer-assisted cervical pedicle screw placement
Department of Spine and Orthopaedic Surgery, Konan Kosei Hospital, Konan City, Japan
J Neurosurg Spine 13:606-11. 2010
..The authors performed a retrospective clinical study to evaluate the feasibility and accuracy of cervical pedicle screw (CPS) placement using 3D fluoroscopy-based navigation (3D FN)...
- Restoration of thoracic kyphosis by posterior instrumentation in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: comparative radiographic analysis of two methods of reduction
Jean Luc Clement
Department of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery and Scoliosis Surgery, Hospital Lenval, Nice, France
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1579-87. 2008
- A comparison of the long gamma nail with the sliding hip screw for the treatment of AO/OTA 31-A2 fractures of the proximal part of the femur: a prospective randomized trial
Tristan M Barton
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Frenchay Hospital, Frenchay Park Road, Frenchay, Bristol BS6 1LE, United Kingdom
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:792-8. 2010
..A prospective, randomized, controlled trial was performed to compare the outcome of treatment of these unstable fractures of the proximal part of the femur with either a sliding hip screw or a long gamma nail...
- A laboratory model to evaluate cutout resistance of implants for pertrochanteric fracture fixation
Mark B Sommers
Biomechanics Laboratory, Legacy Clinical Research and Technology Center, Portland, OR 97232, USA
J Orthop Trauma 18:361-8. 2004
..To establish a laboratory model of implant cutout, which can evaluate the effect of implant design on cutout resistance in a clinically realistic "worst case" scenario...
- Unilateral versus bilateral pedicle screw fixation in lumbar spinal fusion
K S Suk
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:1843-7. 2000
..Based on the results of this study, unilateral fixation could be used in two-segment lumbar spinal fusion...
- Treatment of proximal tibia fractures using the less invasive stabilization system: surgical experience and early clinical results in 77 fractures
Peter A Cole
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Regions Hospital, St Paul, MN, USA
J Orthop Trauma 18:528-35. 2004
..To summarize the surgical experience and clinical results of the first 89 fractures of the proximal tibia treated with the Less Invasive Stabilization System (LISS; Synthes, Paoli, PA)...
- Instrumented and noninstrumented posterolateral fusion in adult spondylolisthesis--a prospective randomized study: part 2
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:1716-21. 2000
..A prospective randomized study was performed...
- Biomechanical study of pedicle screw fixation in severely osteoporotic bone
Stephen D Cook
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1430 Tulane Avenue, SL 32, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Spine J 4:402-8. 2004
..An expandable pedicle screw design has been shown to significantly improve fixation compared to a conventional screw in poor quality bone...
- Potential large vessel injury during thoracolumbar pedicle screw removal. A case report
J S Vanichkachorn
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:110-3. 1997
..Instruments designed to capture the end of the distal screw fragment through an interference fit may allow anterior screw migration to occur, particularly in osteoporotic bone...
- Gamma nails revisited: gamma nails versus compression hip screws in the management of intertrochanteric fractures of the hip: a meta-analysis
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
J Orthop Trauma 23:460-4. 2009
..The current meta-analysis aimed to explore the effects of time and Gamma Nail design on the risks of femoral shaft fracture after treatment of extracapsular hip fractures...
- Less invasive stabilization of complex tibial plateau fractures: a biomechanical evaluation of a unilateral locked screw plate and double plating
Trauma Department, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
J Orthop Trauma 18:546-51. 2004
..To compare the vertical subsidence in a bicondylar tibial plateau fracture model stabilized either by a unilateral locked screw plate (LSP) or by double plating...
- Treatment of complex tibial plateau fractures using the less invasive stabilization system plate: clinical experience and a laboratory comparison with double plating
Kenneth A Egol
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, New York, USA
J Trauma 57:340-6. 2004
..The purpose of this study was: 1) to evaluate the clinical use L.I.S.S plating system for stabilization of bicondylar tibial plateau fractures. 2) To compare the biomechanics of this plating system with a double plate construct...
- Unstable trochanteric femoral fractures: extramedullary or intramedullary fixation. Review of literature
I B Schipper
Department of Surgery, University Medical Center, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Injury 35:142-51. 2004
..For unstable fractures intramedullary implants are (biomechanically) superior. The review shows that clinical advantages of both treatment methods are suggested and advocated, but still remain to be demonstrated on evidence base...
- Accuracy and safety of thoracic pedicle screw placement in spinal deformities
Spine Unit, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Israel
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:522-6. 2005
..To determine the safety of pedicle screw fixation in thoracic spine deformity correction...
- Sliding hip screw fixation of trochanteric hip fractures: outcome of 1024 procedures
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Addenbrookes Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Injury 36:793-800. 2005
..The final outcome of surgery for the survivors is good, with most patients returning to their pre-fracture level of accommodation and mobility, with minimal pain 1-year post-fracture...
- Are short femoral nails superior to the sliding hip screw? A meta-analysis of 24 studies involving 3,279 fractures
Henry Wynn Jones
Department of Orthopaedics, Bedford Hospital, Kempston Road, MK42 9DJ, Bedford, UK
Int Orthop 30:69-78. 2006
..63; 95% confidence interval 1.11-2.40) were greater with the IMN compared with the SHS. There was no evidence for a reduced failure rate with IMN in unstable trochanteric fractures...
- Posterior C1-C2 fusion with polyaxial screw and rod fixation
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Center for Spinal Surgery, Karlsbad Langensteinbach, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:2467-71. 2001
..In addition, the initial results of this technique on 37 patients are described...
- The use of microimplants in orthodontic anchorage
Chung Ho Chen
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1209-13. 2006
..The aim of this study is to determine the incidence of anchor retention after orthodontic force application for moving teeth, and to determine the relationship of microimplant length to retention rate...
- Pullout strength of pedicle screws augmented with particulate calcium phosphate: an experimental study
Department of Mechanical Engineering, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street, Hamilton, ON L8L 568, Canada
Spine J 9:404-10. 2009
..Pressure-injected and in situ curing bone cements have been studied as alternatives in augmenting lumbar pedicle screw fixation but are frequently found to leak outside the confines of the target vertebra...
- Complications in posterior fusion and instrumentation for degenerative lumbar scoliosis
Kyu Jung Cho
Inha University Hospital, Incheon, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:2232-7. 2007
..Radiographic analysis was performed retrospectively. Outcomes and complications were collected prospectively...
- Implant-related complications in the treatment of unstable intertrochanteric fractures: meta-analysis of dynamic screw-plate versus dynamic screw-intramedullary nail devices
AO Clinical Investigation and Documentation, AO ASIF Center, 7270 Davos Platz, Clavadelerstrasse, Switzerland
Int Orthop 27:197-203. 2003
..Iatrogenic femoral fractures associated with the use of DSIN devices represent a rare, but persistent, risk. There was a tendency for less frequent cut-out with intramedullary devices compared with DSP devices...
- A pedicle screw construct gives an enhanced posterior correction of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis when compared with other constructs: myth or reality
Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA 17033 0850, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1869-74. 2007
..Tricenter retrospective cohort study of 72 patients who underwent posterior correction of Lenke 1 adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS). Each center represented a single surgeon using only one type of construct...
- Comparative analysis of pedicle screw versus hook instrumentation in posterior spinal fusion of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis
Yongjung J Kim
Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Shriners Hospitals for Children, St Louis Unit, St Louis, MO, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:2040-8. 2004
..A retrospective matched cohort study...
- Lumbar interbody fusion using the Brantigan I/F cage for posterior lumbar interbody fusion and the variable pedicle screw placement system: two-year results from a Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption clinical trial
J W Brantigan
South Texas Orthopaedic and Spinal Surgery Associates, San Antonio, Texas 78240, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:1437-46. 2000
..CONCLUSIONS: The Brantigan I/F Cage for posterior lumbar interbody fusion and the Variable Screw Placement System are safe and effective for the management of degenerative disc disease...
- Direct vertebral rotation: a new technique of three-dimensional deformity correction with segmental pedicle screw fixation in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis
Sang Min Lee
Seoul Spine Institute, Inje University, Sanggye Paik Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:343-9. 2004
..A prospective study...
- Complications of posterior cervical plating
J G Heller
Department of Orthopaedics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2442-8. 1995
..This study finds the risk of lateral mass screw insertion to be considerably less than predicted in vitro. The present study reports other complications that were not predicted in laboratory studies...
- Reliability of predictors for screw cutout in intertrochanteric hip fractures
Kirstin De Bruijn
Department of Surgery, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, P O Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Bone Joint Surg Am 94:1266-72. 2012
- Far cortical locking can reduce stiffness of locked plating constructs while retaining construct strength
Legacy Biomechanics Laboratory, 1225 N E 2nd Avenue, Portland, OR 97215, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:1985-94. 2009
..In the present study, we tested whether a novel strategy for stiffness reduction, termed far cortical locking, can significantly reduce the stiffness of a locked plating construct while retaining its strength...
- The best surgical treatment for type II fractures of the dens is still controversial
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery, University Campus Bio Medico of Rome, Via Alvaro del Portillo, 200, 00155, Rome, Italy
Clin Orthop Relat Res 469:742-50. 2011
..Reports on postoperative status of patients who underwent surgery for such injuries are limited to small case series, and it is unclear whether any one technique produces better outcomes than another...
- Surgical management of hip fractures: an evidence-based review of the literature. II: intertrochanteric fractures
Kerlan Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 16:665-73. 2008
..Although unstable fractures may theoretically benefit from load-sharing intramedullary implants, this result has not been demonstrated in the current evidence-based literature...
- A randomised comparison of AMBI, TGN and PFN for treatment of unstable trochanteric fractures
Department of Orthopedics, School of Medicine, University of Patras, Greece
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 125:462-8. 2005
- Biomechanical characterisation of a degradable magnesium-based (MgCa0.8) screw
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hanover Medical School, Hanover, Germany
J Mater Sci Mater Med 23:649-55. 2012
..A maximum load capacity of 28 ± 7.6 N/h was determined. Our biomechanical data suggests that this biodegradable screw provides a promising bone-screw-fixation and has great potential for medical application...
- The importance of lag screw position for the stabilization of trochanteric fractures with a sliding hip screw: a subject-specific finite element study
Jérôme M Goffin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The University of Edinburgh, The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh at Little France, Old Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh EH16 4SU, UK
J Orthop Res 31:596-600. 2013
..Further clinical studies investigating lag screw cut-out should attempt to find more reliable predictors of cut-out that should better reflect the biomechanics and subject-specificity of the femoral head...
- Posterior lumbar interbody fusion versus posterolateral fusion in spondylolisthesis: a prospective controlled study in the Han nationality
Orthopaedic and Trauma Department, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, No 107 Wenhua Xi Road, Jinan, Shandong, 250012, People s Republic of China
Int Orthop 33:1043-7. 2009
..There was no significant statistical difference in clinical and functional outcome in the two groups. The PLIF group presented a better fusion rate than the PLF group...
- Fixation of ankle syndesmotic injuries: comparison of tightrope fixation and syndesmotic screw fixation for accuracy of syndesmotic reduction
Gohar A Naqvi
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda, Ireland
Am J Sports Med 40:2828-35. 2012
..Ankle syndesmotic injuries are complex and require anatomic reduction and fixation to restore the normal biomechanics of the ankle joint and prevent long-term complications...
- Evaluation of orthodontic mini-implant anchorage in premolar extraction therapy in adolescents
Judah S Garfinkle
Department of Plastic Surgery and Orthodontics, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 133:642-53. 2008
..The purpose of this study was to determine the success rate, positional stability, and patient evaluation of orthodontic mini-implants (OMIs)...
- Augmentation of pedicle screw stability with calcium sulfate cement in osteoporotic sheep: biomechanical and screw-bone interfacial evaluation
Xijing Hospital, Institution of Orthopaedics, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi Province, PR China
J Spinal Disord Tech 24:235-41. 2011
..Augmentation of pedicle screws with calcium sulfate cement (CSC) was performed in osteoporotic sheep. Biomechanical tests, micro-computed tomography (CT) analysis, and histological observation were performed...
- Anterior screw fixation of type II odontoid fractures in the elderly
The Centre for Spinal Studies and Surgery I C, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom
J Trauma 65:1083-7. 2008
..The purpose of this study is to investigate the surgical outcomes of anterior screw fixation of type II B odontoid fractures in the elderly...
- Surface polishing positively influences ease of plate and screw removal
J S Hayes
AO Research Institute Davos, AO Foundation, Clavadelerstrasse, 8, CH 7270, Davos Platz, Switzerland
Eur Cell Mater 19:117-26. 2010
..Future studies aim to assess the potential of this technology in the next level of complication, a fracture model...
- Osteoporotic pertrochanteric hip fractures: management and current controversies
Dean G Lorich
Orthopaedic Trauma Service, Weill College of Medicine of Cornell University, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York, USA
Instr Course Lect 53:441-54. 2004
..For patients with a reverse obliquity fracture pattern, the advantage of the intramedullary construct has been shown...
- The dynamic locking screw (DLS) can increase interfragmentary motion on the near cortex of locked plating constructs by reducing the axial stiffness
Klinik für Orthopädie und Unfallchirurgie, Abteilung fur Unfallchirurgie, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ismaninger Str 22, 81675, Munchen, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 395:421-8. 2010
..the bridged plate technique, decrease primarily the bending stiffness. Thus, the interfragmentary motion increases only on the far cortical side by bending the plate. To solve this problem, the dynamic locking screw (DLS) was developed...
- In vitro study of accuracy of cervical pedicle screw insertion using an electronic conductivity device (ATPS part III)
Department for Traumatology and Sport Injuries, Paracelsus Medical University Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
Eur Spine J 18:1300-13. 2009
..In addition, we presented a reasonable laboratory setting for the clinical introduction of an ATPS-plate system...
- Biomechanical and histological evaluation of an expandable pedicle screw in osteoporotic spine in sheep
Department of Orthopaedics, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, 15 West Changle Road, Xi an, 710032 Shaanxi Province, China
Eur Spine J 19:2122-9. 2010
..The EPS may be of value in treating patients with osteoporosis and warrants further clinical studies...
- Predictive factors for cutting-out in femoral intramedullary nailing
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Miguel Servet University Hospital, Aragon Health Science Institute, Zaragoza, Spain
Injury 41:1312-6. 2010
- Posterior fixation of the upper cervical spine: contemporary techniques
Richard J Bransford
Department of Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 19:63-71. 2011
..Awareness of the risks and benefits associated with the use of modern instrumentation and thorough familiarity with the anatomy of the upper cervical spine are essential to avoid complications and optimize outcomes...
- Undetected vertebral artery groove and foramen violations during C1 lateral mass and C2 pedicle screw placement
Jin S Yeom
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:E942-9. 2008
..Prospective consecutive case series...
- Biomechanical analysis of different techniques in revision spinal instrumentation: larger diameter screws versus cement augmentation
Dirk W Kiner
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Chattanooga, TN 37415, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:2618-22. 2008
- Tip-apex distance of intramedullary devices as a predictor of cut-out failure in the treatment of peritrochanteric elderly hip fractures
Jeffrey A Geller
New York Presbyterian Columbia University Medical Center, 622 West 168th Street, PH 1147, New York, NY 10032, USA
Int Orthop 34:719-22. 2010
..001). As in sliding hip screws, surgeons should strive for a TAD less than 25 mm when using IM devices in the treatment of PT hip fractures to help avoid lag screw cut-out...
- Factors associated with the success rate of orthodontic miniscrews placed in the upper and lower posterior buccal region
Cheol Hyun Moon
Department of Orthodontics, Gachon Medical School, Gil Medical Center, Incheon, South Korea
Angle Orthod 78:101-6. 2008
..To determine the success rate and the factors related to the success rate of orthodontic miniscrew implants (OMI) placed at the attached gingiva of the posterior buccal region...
- Fracture displacement and screw cutout after open reduction and locked plate fixation of proximal humeral fractures [corrected]
Kevin C Owsley
University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 665, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:233-40. 2008
..In this study, we assessed the radiographic and clinical results of a single surgeon's experience treating proximal humeral fractures with a locked proximal humeral plate...
- Comparison of a novel FiberWire-button construct versus metallic screw fixation in a syndesmotic injury model
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 South First Avenue, Maguire Center 1700, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Foot Ankle Int 29:49-54. 2008
..This study evaluates the ability of a FiberWire-button implant (Arthrex, Naples, FL) to maintain syndesmotic reduction as compared with a metallic screw...
- Distal femoral fixation: a biomechanical comparison of trigen retrograde intramedullary (i.m.) nail, dynamic condylar screw (DCS), and locking compression plate (LCP) condylar plate
Jake P Heiney
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, ProMedica Health System, Toledo, Ohio, USA
J Trauma 66:443-9. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to establish if there are biomechanical differences between implants in stiffness of construct, microdisplacement, and fatigue failure in a supracondylar femoral fracture model...
- Lateral mass screw complications: analysis of 1662 screws
Department of Orthopaedics, Crete University, Medical School, Herakleion, Athens, Greece
J Spinal Disord Tech 24:415-20. 2011
..Retrospective, consecutive patient series...
- The fixation strength of a novel ACL soft-tissue graft fixation device compared with conventional interference screws: a biomechanical study in vitro
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 19:559-67. 2011
..The EZ KneeSpan device also had similar tibial and higher femoral ultimate fixation strength than an IS...
- A prospective randomized study of ACL-reconstructions using bone-patellar tendon-bone grafts fixed with bioabsorbable or metal interference screws
Jon Olav Drogset
Trondheim University Hospital, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 19:753-9. 2011
..Bioabsorbable screws are, at the expense of metal screws, increasingly used as fixation device in ACL-reconstructions. The possible advantages with bioabsorbable screws are better postoperative MRI evaluations and easier revision surgery...
- [Complications of dynamic hip screw treatment for proximal femoral fractures]
Ortopedické oddĕlení Nemocnice Pelhrimov
Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech 77:395-401. 2010
..The average patient age was 81.8 years (21-101). Twenty-six patients had surgery for bilateral fractures...
- Thoracic pedicle screw fixation in spinal deformities: are they really safe?
S I Suk
Seoul Spine Institute, Inje University Paik Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:2049-57. 2001
..A retrospective study...
- Effect of the cord pretension of the Dynesys dynamic stabilisation system on the biomechanics of the lumbar spine: a finite element analysis
Chien Lin Liu
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Eur Spine J 20:1850-8. 2011
..In addition, use of a 300 N cord pretension causes a much higher stiffness at the implanted level when compared with the intact lumbar spine...
- Morphometric and volumetric analysis of the lateral masses of the lower cervical spine
Kalil G Abdullah
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:1476-9. 2009
..Morphometric and volumetric analysis...
- Minimally invasive microendoscopy-assisted transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion with instrumentation
Robert E Isaacs
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 3:98-105. 2005
- Survival analyses of surgical miniscrews as orthodontic anchorage
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 136:29-36. 2009
..The objectives of this study were to determine the survival rate of titanium surgical miniscrews and the clinical parameters that posed the highest risks for failure...
- Prediction of fixation failure after sliding hip screw fixation
Department of Orthopaedics, Peterborough District Hospital, Peterborough PE3 6DA, UK
Injury 35:994-8. 2004
- More intramedullary nails and arthroplasties for treatment of hip fractures in Sweden
Department of Orthopaedics, Lund University, Skane University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Acta Orthop 81:588-92. 2010
..We describe the changes in Sweden over the period 1998–2007 and the regional differences in treatment. Patients and methods Data on 144,607 patients were drawn from the National Patient Register...
- Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries with special reference to surgical technique and rehabilitation: an assessment of randomized controlled trials
Department of Orthopaedics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Molndal, Sweden
Arthroscopy 25:653-85. 2009
..A secondary aim was to clarify relative strengths and weaknesses of the selected studies, resolve literature conflicts, and finally, evaluate the need for further studies...
- Suture-button versus screw fixation in a syndesmosis rupture model: a biomechanical comparison
Sandeep P Soin
Baltimore, MD, USA
Foot Ankle Int 30:346-52. 2009
..This study examined how much fibular motion occurs during cyclic loading of ankles repaired with suture-buttons or screws relative to one with intact ligaments...
- A retrospective analysis of the failure rate of three different orthodontic skeletal anchorage systems
Yi Jane Chen
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, National Taiwan University, and Dental Department, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Oral Implants Res 18:768-75. 2007
- Comparison of intramedullary nailing versus plate-screw fixation of extra-articular metacarpal fractures
Department of Orthopedics, Denver Health Medical Center, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
J Hand Surg Am 33:1724-31. 2008
..To compare the clinical and radiographic outcomes of intramedullary nail (IMN) fixation of metacarpal fractures with those of plate-screw (PS) fixation...
- Accuracy of pedicle screw placement: a systematic review of prospective in vivo studies comparing free hand, fluoroscopy guidance and navigation techniques
Ioannis D Gelalis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, School of Medicine, University of Ioannina, Pantazidi Street 11, 45221 Ioannina, Epirus, Greece
Eur Spine J 21:247-55. 2012
..The purpose of the present study was to perform a systematic review of all available prospective evidence regarding pedicle screw insertion techniques in the thoracic and lumbar human spine...
- Comparison of the percutaneous screw placement precision of isocentric C-arm 3-dimensional fluoroscopy-navigated pedicle screw implantation and conventional fluoroscopy method with minimally invasive surgery
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Chubu Rosai Hospital, Aichi, Japan
J Spinal Disord Tech 22:468-72. 2009
..Retrospective clinical study to compare the percutaneous screw placement precision of isocentric C-arm (Iso-C) 3-dimensional fluoroscopy-navigated pedicle screw implantation and conventional fluoroscopy...
- Thoracic pedicle screw instrumentation: the learning curve and evolution in technique in the treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis
Baron S Lonner
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY 10021, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:2158-64. 2009
- Assessment of different screw augmentation techniques and screw designs in osteoporotic spines
Spine Centre, Orthopaedic Hospital Speising, Vienna, Austria
Eur Spine J 17:1462-9. 2008
..Nevertheless, using a properly designed perforated screw will facilitate augmentation and instrumentation in osteoporotic spines...
- Injuries to the tibiofibular syndesmosis
East Surrey Hospital, Canada Avenue, Redhill RH1 5RH, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:405-10. 2008
..This paper reviews the relevant anatomy, the clinical and radiological diagnosis and the mechanism of trauma and alternative methods of treatment for injuries to the syndesmosis...
- Sclerostin antibody treatment enhances metaphyseal bone healing in rats
Orthopedics, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
J Bone Miner Res 25:2412-8. 2010
..Thus, as measured by the amount of bone and its mechanical resistance, the sclerostin antibody increased bone formation during metaphyseal repair but also in untraumatized bone...
- The anterior and medial reduction of intertrochanteric fractures: a simple method to obtain a stable reduction
James B Carr
University of South Carolina, Department of Orthopedic Trauma, Palmetto Health Richland Hospital, Columbia, SC, USA
J Orthop Trauma 21:485-9. 2007
..This reestablishes a normal neck shaft angle and prevents excessive collapse of the fracture site. The maneuver is described in the context of the fracture pathoanatomy and the use of a fracture table...
- The effect of C-arm malrotation on iliosacral screw placement
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of California at Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
J Orthop Trauma 21:427-34. 2007
..We sought to determine whether inaccurate C-arm positioning could create images that lead to inaccurate interpretation of iliosacral screw positions...
- The effect of sacral fracture malreduction on the safe placement of iliosacral screws
Mark C Reilly
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
J Orthop Trauma 20:S37-43. 2006
..To determine the effects of cranial displacement on the safe placement of iliosacral screws for zone II sacral fractures...
- Augmentation of pedicle screw fixation strength using an injectable calcium sulfate cement: an in vivo study
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:2503-9. 2008
..An in vivo landrace model of cement augmentation of pedicle screw was established, and axial pull-out tests and histological analysis were performed...
- Integrity of the lateral femoral wall in intertrochanteric hip fractures: an important predictor of a reoperation
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Copenhagen University Hospital of Hvidovre, Hvidovre, Denmark
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:470-5. 2007
..We investigated the importance of an intact lateral femoral wall as a factor in postoperative fracture displacement after fixation with a sliding compression hip screw...
- Transosseous fixation of the distal tibiofibular syndesmosis: comparison of an interosseous suture and endobutton to traditional screw fixation in 50 cases
James M Cottom
Sarasota Orthopedic Associates, 2750 Bahia Vista, Sarasota, FL 34239, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 48:620-30. 2009
..The results of this study indicate that the interosseous suture with endobuttons is a reasonable option for repair of ankle syndesmotic injuries, and may be as effective as traditional internal screw fixation...
- Syndesmotic screw fixation in Weber C ankle injuries--should the screw be removed before weight bearing?
David Paul Bell
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Changi General Hospital, 2 Simei Street 3, Singapore 529889, Republic of Singapore
Injury 37:891-8. 2006
..To compare the outcomes of Weber C ankle fractures treated with syndesmotic screw fixation where the screw was removed prior to weight bearing against those where the screw was left in situ indefinitely...
- Titanium-alloy enhances bone-pedicle screw fixation: mechanical and histomorphometrical results of titanium-alloy versus stainless steel
F B Christensen
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, University Hospital of Aarhus, Denmark
Eur Spine J 9:97-103. 2000
..There was no correlation between the screw removal torque and the pull-out strength, which indicates that the peripheral bone structure around the screw was unaffected by the choice of metal...
- Biomechanics of odontoid fracture fixation. Comparison of the one- and two-screw technique
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 18:1950-3. 1993
- Efficacy of anterior odontoid screw fixation in elderly patients with Type II odontoid fractures
J S Harrop
Department of Neurosurgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Neurosurg Focus 8:e6. 2000
..In this study the authors examine the efficacy of anterior odontoid screw fixation in a high-risk group of 10 elderly patients (> 65 years of age) treated for Type II odontoid fractures...
- Acutrak screw fixation versus cast immobilisation for undisplaced scaphoid waist fractures
Department of Plastic Surgery, Hand Surgery and Burns, University Hospital, , Sweden
J Hand Surg Br 26:192-5. 2001
..Acute percutaneous internal fixation of undisplaced scaphoid waist fractures using the Acutrak screw allows early mobilisation without adverse effects on fracture healing...
- The use of small titanium screws for orthodontic anchorage
Department of Orthodontics, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, 2 5 1, Shikata cho, Japan
J Dent Res 82:377-81. 2003
..Analysis of these data indicates that small titanium screws were able to function as rigid osseous anchorage against orthodontic load for 3 months with a minimal (under 3 weeks) healing period...