Genomes and Genes
blood vessel prosthesis
Summary: Prosthesis, constructed of either synthetic or biological material, which is used for the repair of injured or diseased blood vessels.
Publications310 found, 100 shown here
- Tissue-engineered vascular grafts transform into mature blood vessels via an inflammation-mediated process of vascular remodelingJason D Roh
Interdepartmental Program in Vascular Biology and Therapeutics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:4669-74. 2010..These findings suggest TEVGs transform into functional neovessels via an inflammatory process of vascular remodeling...
- A randomized trial comparing conventional and endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysmsMonique Prinssen
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
N Engl J Med 351:1607-18. 2004....
- Vascular smooth muscle enhances functionality of tissue-engineered blood vessels in vivoLucas P Neff
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Vasc Surg 53:426-34. 2011..As such, the goal of the present study was to evaluate the effect of SMC coseeding with ECs on TEBV maturation, structure, and function after prolonged in vivo maturation...
- The in vivo stability of electrospun polycaprolactone-collagen scaffolds in vascular reconstructionBryan W Tillman
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Biomaterials 30:583-8. 2009..This study suggests that electrospun scaffolds combined with vascular cells may become an alternative to prosthetic vascular grafts for vascular reconstruction...
- Self-made pericardial tube graft: a new surgical concept for treatment of graft infections after thoracic and abdominal aortic proceduresMartin Czerny
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 92:1657-62. 2011..The aim of this study was to evaluate a new surgical concept for the treatment of graft infections after operation or endovascular treatment of thoracic, thoracoabdominal, and abdominal aortic diseases...
- Matrix metalloproteinase inhibition reduces intimal hyperplasia in a porcine arteriovenous-graft modelJoris I Rotmans
Department of Experimental Cardiology, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Vasc Surg 39:432-9. 2004....
- Advances in vascular tissue engineeringAnita C Thomas
Centre for Research in Vascular Biology, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Cardiovasc Pathol 12:271-6. 2003..quot;Artificial arteries" may be also be derived from peritoneal granulation tissue in body "bioreactors" by adapting the body's natural wound healing response to produce a hollow tube...
- Tissue engineering of small diameter vascular graftsOmke E Teebken
Leibniz Research Laboratories for Biotechnology and Artificial Organs, LEBAO, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 23:475-85. 2002....
- Decellularized tissue-engineered blood vessel as an arterial conduitClay Quint
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:9214-9. 2011..In addition, these results show that engineered connective tissues can be grown from banked cells, rendered acellular, and then used for tissue regeneration in vivo...
- Increased shear stress with upregulation of VEGF-A and its receptors and MMP-2, MMP-9, and TIMP-1 in venous stenosis of hemodialysis graftsSanjay Misra
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H2219-30. 2008....
- The degradative resistance of polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane nanocore integrated polyurethanes: an in vitro studyRuben Y Kannan
Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Centre BTEC, Academic Division of Surgical and Interventional Sciences, University College London, Rowland Hill, Hampstead, London NW3 2PF, UK
Biomaterials 27:1971-9. 2006..These nanocomposites hence provide an optimal method by which these polymers may be strengthened whilst maintaining their elasticity, making them ideal as vascular prostheses particularly at low flow states...
- Percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation based on rapid prototyping of right ventricular outflow tract and pulmonary trunk from MR dataSilvia Schievano
Cardiothoracic Unit, UCL Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, Great Ormond St, London WC1N 3JH, England
Radiology 242:490-7. 2007....
- Endovascular stent-graft placement and coil embolization for an anomalous splenic artery aneurysmJianjun Jiang
Department of Vascular Surgery, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Ji Nan, China
J Vasc Surg 54:208-11. 2011..This appears to be a promising minimally invasive approach to manage this rare entity. Also, we review the literature of aneurysms of the splenic artery arising from the superior mesenteric artery...
- Endovascular treatment of patients with types A and B thoracic aortic dissection using Relay thoracic stent-grafts: results from the RESTORE Patient RegistryBurkhart Zipfel
Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Germany
J Endovasc Ther 18:131-43. 2011..To evaluate the safety and performance of Relay stent-grafts in patients with acute or chronic aortic dissections...
- Endothelialized biomaterials for tissue engineering applications in vivoOmar F Khan
Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, University of Toronto, 200 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3E5, Canada
Trends Biotechnol 29:379-87. 2011..In this review, we examine the recent in vivo use of endothelialized biomaterials and discuss the fundamental issues that must be considered when engineering functional vasculature...
- The evolution of vascular tissue engineering and current state of the artMarissa Peck
Cytograft Tissue Engineering Inc, Novato, Calif, USA
Cells Tissues Organs 195:144-58. 2012..Special emphasis is given to the tissue engineering by self-assembly (TESA) approach, which has been the only one to reach clinical trials for applications under arterial pressure...
- Local gene delivery via endovascular stents coated with dodecylated chitosan-plasmid DNA nanoparticlesDunwan Zhu
Tianjin Key Laboratory of Biomedical materials, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Tianjin, China
Int J Nanomedicine 5:1095-102. 2010..The DCDNP stent provides a very promising strategy for cardiovascular gene therapy...
- In situ tissue regeneration using a novel tissue-engineered, small-caliber vascular graft without cell seedingTakenori Yokota
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:900-7. 2008..In this study, we investigated in situ tissue regeneration in small-diameter arteries using a novel tissue-engineered biodegradable vascular graft that did not require ex vivo cell seeding...
- Prosthetic vascular grafts: wrong models, wrong questions and no healingPeter Zilla
Christian Barnard Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery Cardiovascular Research Unit, University of Cape Town Medical School, Cape Town, South Africa
Biomaterials 28:5009-27. 2007..By providing insight into mechanisms and experimental designs which obscured the purpose and scope of several decades of vascular graft studies, future research may better address clinical relevance...
- Scaffold-free vascular tissue engineering using bioprintingCyrille Norotte
Department of Physics, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Biomaterials 30:5910-7. 2009..9 to 2.5mm). A unique aspect of the method is the ability to engineer vessels of distinct shapes and hierarchical trees that combine tubes of distinct diameters. The technique is quick and easily scalable...
- Fast virtual deployment of self-expandable stents: method and in vitro evaluation for intracranial aneurysmal stentingIgnacio Larrabide
Networking Biomedical Research Center on Bioengineering, Biomaterials and Nanomedicine, Barcelona, Spain
Med Image Anal 16:721-30. 2012..The outcome of such treatments is related to factors like vessel and aneurysm geometry, hemodynamic conditions and device design. For this reason, having a tool for assessing stenting alternatives beforehand is crucial...
- Tissue-engineered blood vessel graft produced by self-derived cells and allogenic acellular matrix: a functional performance and histologic studyDaping Yang
Department of Surgery, 2nd Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, HLJ, China
Ann Plast Surg 62:297-303. 2009..The aim of this study was to find out if the graft is suitable as the carotid artery substitute...
- Implantable arterial grafts from human fibroblasts and fibrin using a multi-graft pulsed flow-stretch bioreactor with noninvasive strength monitoringZeeshan H Syedain
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Biomaterials 32:714-22. 2011..The strength achieved with a biological scaffold in such a short duration is unprecedented for an engineered artery...
- Characterization of the natural history of extracellular matrix production in tissue-engineered vascular grafts during neovessel formationYuji Naito
Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn, USA
Cells Tissues Organs 195:60-72. 2012..The extracellular matrix (ECM) is a critical determinant of neovessel integrity...
- Antithrombogenic modification of small-diameter microfibrous vascular graftsCraig K Hashi
University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:1621-7. 2010..To develop small-diameter vascular grafts with a microstructure similar to native matrix fibers and with chemically modified microfibers to prevent thrombosis...
- The role of smooth muscle cells in vessel wall pathophysiology and reconstruction using bioactive synthetic polymersM Parizek
Department of Growth and Differentiation of Cell Populations, Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 60:419-37. 2011..Thus, the material component in advanced blood vessel substitutes acts as a temporary scaffold that promotes regeneration of the damaged vascular tissue...
- Vulnerability of an equine pericardial roll graft to Gram-positive cocci after graft replacement for a ruptured infected abdominal aortaHiroshi Yamamoto
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Akita University School of Medicine, Hondo 1 1 1, Akita 010 8543, Japan
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 12:866-8. 2011..We therefore suggest that the infection-resistant property of EPR grafts may be uncertain in patients with postoperative sustained MRSA bacteremia when these grafts are used for arterial reconstruction...
- Tissue engineering on matrix: future of autologous tissue replacementBenedikt Weber
Swiss Center for Regenerative Medicine and Clinic for Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Raemistrasse 100, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Semin Immunopathol 33:307-15. 2011..Key molecules of these processes can be integrated into the scaffold matrix to direct cell and tissue fate in vivo...
- In situ replacement with equine pericardial roll grafts for ruptured infected aneurysms of the abdominal aortaHiroshi Yamamoto
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Akita University School of Medicine, Akita, Japan
J Vasc Surg 49:1041-5. 2009..We therefore suggest that in situ replacement of the abdominal aorta using equine pericardium with concomitant omental flap wrapping may be an option of treating ruptured infected AAAs...
- Transmural communication at a subcellular level may play a critical role in the fallout based-endothelialization of dacron vascular prostheses in canineZe Zhang
Department of Surgery, Laval University, The Research Center of Saint François d Assise Hospital, CHUQ, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
J Biomed Mater Res A 81:877-87. 2007..This highlights the potential function of perigraft cytokines and growth factors in endothelial healing...
- The endothelialization of polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane nanocomposites: an in vitro studyRuben Y Kannan
Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Centre, Academic Division of Surgery and Interventional Sciences, University College London, Hampstead Campus, London NW3 2PF, United Kingdom
Cell Biochem Biophys 45:129-36. 2006..In conclusion, these results support the application of POSS-PCU as a suitable biomaterial scaffold in bio-hybrid vascular prostheses and biomedical devices...
- Nonthrombogenic approaches to cardiovascular bioengineeringSong Li
Department of Bioengineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 13:451-75. 2011..This review discusses the advances in antithrombogenic approaches for surface modifications and cardiovascular tissue engineering...
- In situ replacement of the thoracic aorta using an equine pericardial roll graft for an aortobronchial fistula due to aortic ruptureHiroshi Yamamoto
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Akita University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Hondo, Akita, 010 8543, Japan
Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 57:413-7. 2009..The equine pericardium can be an option of alternative graft materials for in situ replacement of the thoracic aorta in patients with an aortobronchial fistula due to aortic rupture...
- Development of a composite degradable/nondegradable tissue-engineered vascular graftBeate Tschoeke
Department of Applied Medical Engineering, Helmholtz Institute for Biomedical Engineering, Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
Artif Organs 32:800-9. 2008..Using the vascular composite graft technique, the production of tissue engineered, small-caliber vascular grafts with good mechanical properties within a conditioning period of 14 days is feasible...
- Heparin-bonded expanded polytetrafluoroethylene vascular graft for femoropopliteal and femorocrural bypass grafting: 1-year resultsMarc Bosiers
Department of Vascular Surgery, St Blasius Hospital, Dendermonde, Belgium
J Vasc Surg 43:313-8; discussion 318-9. 2006..This study assessed the performance of a new heparin-bonded ePTFE vascular graft that was designed to provide resistance to thrombosis and thereby decrease early graft failures and possibly prolong patency...
- Diameter of abdominal aortic aneurysm and outcome of endovascular aneurysm repair: does size matter? A report from EUROSTARNoud Peppelenbosch
The EUROSTAR Data Registry Center, Catharina Hospital, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
J Vasc Surg 39:288-97. 2004..This study was undertaken to determine the effect of the preoperative diameter of abdominal aortic aneurysms on the midterm outcome after endovascular abdominal aneurysm repair (EVAR)...
- Endovascular stent-graft placement for the treatment of acute aortic dissectionM D Dake
Division of Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Calif, USA
N Engl J Med 340:1546-52. 1999..Irrespective of the form of treatment, the associated mortality and morbidity are considerable...
- Vascular tissue engineering: towards the next generation vascular graftsYuji Naito
Interdepartmental Program in Vascular Biology and Therapeutics, Yale University School of Medicine, 10 Amistad Street, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 63:312-23. 2011..Continued investigation into the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying vascular neotissue formation will improve our basic understanding and provide insights that will enable the rationale design of second generation TEVG...
- Have hybrid procedures replaced open aortic arch reconstruction in high-risk patients? A comparative study of elective open arch debranching with endovascular stent graft placement and conventional elective open total and distal aortic arch reconstructionRita Karianna Milewski
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 140:590-7. 2010..This study evaluates the outcomes of a contemporary comparative series from one institution of open total arch and hybrid arch procedures for extensive aortic arch pathology...
- Antithrombogenic property of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in nanofibrous vascular graftsCraig K Hashi
Department of Bioengineering and Center for Tissue Bioengineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:11915-20. 2007..These results demonstrate several favorable characteristics of nanofibrous scaffolds, the excellent patency of small-diameter nanofibrous vascular grafts, and the unique antithrombogenic property of MSCs...
- Late-term results of tissue-engineered vascular grafts in humansNarutoshi Hibino
Yale University School of Medicine, Section of Cardiac Surgery, New Haven, Conn 06520, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 139:431-6, 436.e1-2. 2010..We report the late clinical and radiologic surveillance of a patient cohort that underwent implantation of tissue-engineered vascular grafts as extracardiac cavopulmonary conduits...
- Biomaterials in the development and future of vascular graftsLian Xue
Department of Surgery, Neurobiology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Vasc Surg 37:472-80. 2003....
- Physical properties of endovascular stents: an experimental comparisonS H Duda
Department of Radiology, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, Germany
J Vasc Interv Radiol 11:645-54. 2000..MA.R.T., Symphony, and Wall-stent) of 4 cm length and 8 mm diameter were subjected to standardized physical tests...
- Improving the clinical patency of prosthetic vascular and coronary bypass grafts: the role of seeding and tissue engineeringAlexander M Seifalian
Tissue Engineering Center, University Department of Surgery, Royal Free and University College Medical School, University College London and The Royal Free Hospital, U K
Artif Organs 26:307-20. 2002..This review encompasses the developments in the two principal technologies used in developing hybrid coronary and peripheral vascular bypass grafts, that is, seeding and tissue engineering...
- Tissue-engineered blood vessels: alternative to autologous grafts?Michel R Hoenig
Centre for Research in Vascular Biology, School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:1128-34. 2005..Remodeling occurs after grafting such that the tissue is almost indistinguishable from native vessels. This conduit is derived from cells of bone marrow origin, opening new possibilities in vascular modeling and remodeling...
- Prophylaxis against Staphylococcus aureus vascular graft infection with mupirocin-soaked, collagen-sealed dacronR Ghiselli
Department of General Surgery, INRCA IRRCS, University of Ancona, Ancona, Italy
J Surg Res 99:316-20. 2001..In addition, mupirocin was more effective than rifampin against the methicillin-resistant strain. Finally, only the combination of mupirocin and amoxicillin clavulanate produced complete suppression of growth of all strains...
- Tissue-engineered blood vessel for adult arterial revascularizationNICOLAS L'HEUREUX
N Engl J Med 357:1451-3. 2007
- Pericyte-based human tissue engineered vascular graftsWei He
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, USA
Biomaterials 31:8235-44. 2010..These results demonstrate the feasibility of a pericyte-based TEVG and suggest that the pericytes play a role in maintaining patency of the TEVG as an arterial conduit...
- Cell-seeding techniques in vascular tissue engineeringGustavo A Villalona
Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8062, USA
Tissue Eng Part B Rev 16:341-50. 2010....
- Intimal hyperplasia and hemodynamic factors in arterial bypass and arteriovenous grafts: a reviewHiroaki Haruguchi
Department of Surgery, Kidney Center, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, 162 8666, Tokyo, Japan
J Artif Organs 6:227-35. 2003..In ABGs, these designs appear to help decrease IH formation. In AVGs, however, they generally have not improved patency rates. In a high-flow system such as an AVG, more drastic changes in anastomotic design may be required...
- Manufacturing and placing a bespoke support for the Marfan aortic root: description of the method and technical results and status at one year for the first ten patientsJohn Pepper
Royal Brompton Hospital, London, UK
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 10:360-5. 2010..The primary objective of this surgery was achieved in each case, reinforcing the ascending aorta whilst leaving the native aortic valve intact and conserving the blood/endothelium interface...
- Bilayered scaffold for engineering cellularized blood vesselsYoung Min Ju
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Biomaterials 31:4313-21. 2010..We show that the bilayered scaffolds permit EC adhesion on the lumen and SMC infiltration into the outer layer. This study suggests that the use of bilayered scaffolds may lead to improved vessel formation...
- Systematic review of randomized controlled trials of patch angioplasty versus primary closure and different types of patch materials during carotid endarterectomyR Bond
Stroke Prevention Unit, University Department of Clinical Neurology, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 40:1126-35. 2004....
- Carotid endarterectomy with bovine pericardium patch angioplasty: mid-term resultsMiltiadis I Matsagas
Vascular Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Ann Vasc Surg 20:614-9. 2006..Patch angioplasty of the carotid artery using BP showed unwittingly early and mid-term surgical outcome. Our results demonstrate the BP to be a suitable patch material for routine use in carotid surgery...
- Blood flow and structure interactions in a stented abdominal aortic aneurysm modelZhonghua Li
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, North Carolina State University, Campus Box 7910, 3198 Broughton Hall, Raleigh, NC 27695 7910, USA
Med Eng Phys 27:369-82. 2005..The time-varying drag force on the EVG exerted by physiological blood flow is unavoidable, where for patients with severe hypertension the risk of EVG migration is very high...
- Development of novel biodegradable polymer scaffolds for vascular tissue engineeringLiqiong Gui
Department of Anesthesiology and the Vascular Biology and Therapeutics Program, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Tissue Eng Part A 17:1191-200. 2011..These results suggest that polymers that degrade more quickly during tissue culture actually result in improved engineered tissue mechanics, by virtue of decreased disruption of collagenous extracellular matrix...
- Endovascular repair of proximal endograft collapse after treatment for thoracic aortic diseaseMarkus G M Steinbauer
Department of Surgery Vascular Surgery, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
J Vasc Surg 43:609-12. 2006..We therefore recommend that the proximal part of thoracic endografts in the aortic arch should be closely monitored and we offer two possible endovascular solutions for resolving the problem of proximal endograft collapse...
- Endovascular repair of acute traumatic thoracic aortic transection with laser-assisted in-situ fenestration of a stent-graft covering the left subclavian arteryErin H Murphy
Divisions of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery and, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
J Endovasc Ther 16:457-63. 2009..To report the use of in-situ laser-assisted endograft fenestration during thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR)...
- Dacron or PTFE for above-knee femoropopliteal bypass. a multicenter randomised studyL P Jensen
Department of Vascular Surgery B, Copenhagen University Gentofte Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 34:44-9. 2007..To compare polytetrafluorethylene (PTFE) and polyester grafts (Dacron) for above knee femoropopliteal bypass...
- Application of triple-branched stent graft for Stanford type A aortic dissection: potential risksKangjun Shen
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, People s Republic of China
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 41:e12-7. 2012..However, we found some potential risks, in our experience, of this technique. We compared this technique with total arch replacement combined with stented elephant trunk implantation in patients with acute Stanford type A dissection...
- Four-year randomized prospective comparison of percutaneous ePTFE/nitinol self-expanding stent graft versus prosthetic femoral-popliteal bypass in the treatment of superficial femoral artery occlusive diseaseKaren McQuade
Department of Vascular Surgery, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75226, USA
J Vasc Surg 52:584-90; discussion 590-1, 591.e1-591.e7. 2010....
- The in vivo performance of small-caliber nanofibrous polyurethane vascular graftsZuo Jun Hu
Department of Vascular Surgery, the First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, NO, 58 Zhongshan 2nd Road, Guangzhou, 510080, China
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 12:115. 2012..In the present study, we examined the in vivo biocompatibility and stability of these grafts...
- Endovascular repair of the aortic archTimothy A M Chuter
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Perspect Vasc Surg Endovasc Ther 19:188-92. 2007..Despite high flows and wide-diameter components, current experience has shown bifurcated stent grafts of this type to be stable with follow-up over 3 years...
- Bioengineered vascular grafts: can we make them off-the-shelf?Shannon L M Dahl
Humacyte, Inc, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Trends Cardiovasc Med 21:83-9. 2011..However, before they can have a clinical impact, bioengineered grafts must be available immediately and "off-the-shelf."..
- The use of antithrombotic therapies in reducing synthetic small-diameter vascular graft thrombosisMark Tatterton
Leeds Vascular Institute, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, Yorkshire, UK
Vasc Endovascular Surg 46:212-22. 2012..Thrombosis of synthetic small-diameter bypass grafts remains a major problem. The aim of this article is to review the antithrombotic strategies that have been used in an attempt to reduce graft thrombogenicity...
- External aortic root support: a histological and mechanical study in sheepPeter Verbrugghe
Centre of Experimental Cardiac Surgery, KUL, Leuven, Belgium
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 17:334-9. 2013..Here, we report a study in sheep to establish whether the externally supporting mesh, as used clinically, is biologically incorporated. The strength of the resulting mesh/artery composite has been tested...
- Undifferentiated mesenchymal stem cells seeded on a vascular prosthesis contribute to the restoration of a physiologic vascular wallAlain Mirza
Labpart EA 3852, Cardiac and Vascular Surgery Department, CHU Trousseau Tourq, Tours, France
J Vasc Surg 47:1313-21. 2008..We evaluated the possibility of restoring a physiologic vascular wall using undifferentiated mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) seeded on a polyurethane vascular prosthesis...
- Experimental stent-graft treatment of ascending aortic dissectionDaniel Zimpfer
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Ann Thorac Surg 85:470-3. 2008..This study assessed the feasibility of stent graft treatment of ascending aortic dissections in a porcine in vitro model...
- One year outcomes of the United States regulatory trial of the Endurant Stent Graft SystemMichel S Makaroun
Division of Vascular Surgery, UPMC Hospitals, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Vasc Surg 54:601-8. 2011..To report the 1-year outcomes of the United States (US) regulatory trial of the Endurant Stent Graft System (Medtronic Vascular), a new device for the treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA)...
- Animal models for the assessment of novel vascular conduitsMichael J Byrom
The Baird Institute, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Vasc Surg 52:176-95. 2010..New challenges in animal modeling are outlined for the assessment of tissue-engineered graft designs. Finally, recommendations are given for the selection of animal models for the assessment of future vascular conduits...
- Endovascular repair of a thoracic arch aneurysm with a fenestrated stent-graftLiangxi Yuan
1Department of Vascular Surgery, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, PR China
J Endovasc Ther 15:539-43. 2008..To report a new endovascular technique for thoracic aortic arch aneurysm repair with a fenestrated stent-graft...
- Triple-barrel graft as a novel strategy to preserve supra-aortic branches in arch-TEVAR procedures: clinical study and systematic reviewR Shahverdyan
Department of Vascular Surgery, University Hospital of Cologne, Kerpener Str 62, D 50937 Cologne, Germany
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 45:28-35. 2013..To report our early experience with total endovascular repair of aortic-arch aneurysm using double chimney-grafts and present a literature overview...
- Stent fractures in the Hemobahn/Viabahn stent graft after endovascular popliteal aneurysm repairIgnace F J Tielliu
Department of Surgery Division of Vascular Surgery, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Vasc Surg 51:1413-8. 2010..This study analyzes the incidence and origin of stent graft fractures after endovascular repair, its impact on patency, and strategies to prevent fractures...
- Endovascular total aortic arch replacement by in situ stent graft fenestration techniqueBjorn Sonesson
Vascular Center Malmö Lund, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
J Vasc Surg 49:1589-91. 2009..The endovascular technique and devices used are herein described...
- Biological mechanisms influencing prosthetic bypass graft patency: possible targets for modern graft designD M Scharn
Department of Vascular Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 43:66-72. 2012..The sequence of biochemical events that lead to thrombosis of grafts is used as a guideline to describe possible counteracting prosthetic surface interventions in each separate phase of the process...
- Chimney grafts and bare stents: aortic branch preservation revisitedFrank J Criado
J Endovasc Ther 14:823-4. 2007
- Modified partial aortic root remodeling in acute type A aortic dissectionTatsuhiko Komiya
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Kurashiki Central Hospital, Kurashiki City, Okayama, Japan
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 8:306-9. 2009..Our modified partial aortic root remodeling technique might be a useful surgical procedure if one or two Valsalva sinuses are affected in type A acute aortic dissection...
- Intensive statin therapy: a favorable adjunct to the improvement of small-diameter vascular grafts- Jie Li
Department of Vascular Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Angiology 61:427-36. 2010..In conclusion, intensive statin therapy could be considered a favorable option to improve small-diameter vascular graft patency...
- "The chimney graft"-a simple technique for endovascular repair of complex juxtarenal abdominal aortic aneurysms in no-option patientsSuhail Allaqaband
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 75:1111-5. 2010..An alternative that can be used in these patients is the so-called "chimney graft" technique. We report two cases where the chimney graft technique was used with good immediate results...
- A self-renewing, tissue-engineered vascular graft for arterial reconstructionKei Torikai
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:37-45, 45.e1. 2008..We focused on the concept of in situ cellularization and developed a tissue-engineered vascular graft for arterial reconstruction that would facilitate renewal of autologous tissue without any pretreatment...
- X-ray micro-tomography of a coronary stent deployed in a model arteryThomas Connolley
National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science, Orbsen Building, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Med Eng Phys 29:1132-41. 2007..Experimental problems are discussed, together with recommendations for improving the technique. It is intended that this technique will be of interest to engineers and clinicians as a pre-clinical test...
- Midterm follow-up of the status of Gore-Tex graft after extracardiac conduit Fontan procedureCheul Lee
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Sejong Heart Institute, Sejong General Hospital, 91 121 Sosa Bon 2 dong, Sosa ku, Bucheon shi, Kyungki do 422 232, South Korea
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:1008-12. 2007..In this study, we investigated the change and the status of the Gore-Tex graft used in extracardiac conduit Fontan procedure...
- Determining the fate of seeded cells in venous tissue-engineered vascular grafts using serial MRIJamie K Harrington
Interdepartmental Program in Vascular Biology and Therapeutics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
FASEB J 25:4150-61. 2011..Our findings confirm and validate this paradigm shift while demonstrating the first successful application of noninvasive MRI for serial study of cellular-level processes in tissue engineering...
- Anomalous hemodynamic effects of a self-expanding intracranial stent: comparing in-vitro and ex-vivo models using ultra-high resolution microCT based CFDGoetz Benndorf
Department of Radiology, Baylor College of Medicine One Baylor Plaza, Mailstop BCM360, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Biomech 43:740-8. 2010..It validates previous in-vitro studies and further contributes to the understanding of in-stent hemodynamics associated with adverse mechanics of self-expanding intracranial stents...
- A novel concept for scaffold-free vessel tissue engineering: self-assembly of microtissue building blocksJens M Kelm
Regenerative Medicine Program, Department of Surgical Research, University of Zurich, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
J Biotechnol 148:46-55. 2010..The significant enhancement of ECM expression and maturation, together with the pre-vascularization capacity makes this approach highly attractive in terms of generating functional small diameter TEBV devoid of any foreign material...
- Evaluation of prosthetic venous valves, fabricated by electrospinning, for percutaneous treatment of chronic venous insufficiencyMasaki Moriyama
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Osaka Institute of Technology, 5 16 1 Ohmiya, Asahi ku, Osaka 535 8585, Japan
J Artif Organs 14:294-300. 2011..Moreover, the stagnation zone around the oPVV valve leaflets was larger than that around the bPVV valve leaflets. These results suggest that the bPVV would be clinically suitable for percutaneous treatment of CVI...
- Tissue-engineered arterial grafts: long-term results after implantation in a small animal modelTamar L Mirensky
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Pediatr Surg 44:1127-32; discussion 1132-3. 2009..Construction of an autologous neovessel using tissue engineering technology offers the potential to create an improved vascular conduit for use in pediatric vascular applications...
- Comparing vein with collagen impregnated woven polyester prosthesis in above-knee femoropopliteal bypass graftingA Mohammadi Tofigh
Department of Surgery, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Int J Surg 5:109-13. 2007..A prospectively randomized clinical trial was designed to evaluate the effectiveness of reversed saphenous vein in comparison with that of collagen impregnated woven polyester prosthesis in above-knee arterial reconstruction...
- Dacron vs. PTFE as bypass materials in peripheral vascular surgery--systematic review and meta-analysisStephanie Roll
Institute for Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics, Charite University Medical Center, Berlin, Germany
BMC Surg 8:22. 2008..Thus, the aim of this meta-analysis and systematic review was to compare the effectiveness of these two prosthetic bypass materials (Dacron and PTFE)...
- The fate of an endothelium layer after preconditioningSaami K Yazdani
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winson Salem, NC, USA
J Vasc Surg 51:174-83. 2010..Moreover, the necessary mechanical conditions that will increase EC adhesion and function remain unclear. We hypothesize that preconditioning seeded endothelium under physiological flow will enhance their retention and function...
- Biomaterials for vascular tissue engineeringSwathi Ravi
Department of Surgery, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
Regen Med 5:107-20. 2010....
- [Heparin-iron complex multilayer nanomodification improves hemocompatibility of decellular xenograft]Yunming Tao
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410011, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 37:260-6. 2012..To improve the hemocompatibility of decellular vascular matrix via heparin-iron complex multilayers (HICMs) nanomodification...
- Polytetrafluoroethylene graft calcification in patients with surgically repaired congenital heart disease: evaluation using multidetector-row computed tomographyYasunobu Hayabuchi
Department of Pediatrics, University of Tokushima, Tokushima, Japan
Am Heart J 153:806.e1-8. 2007....
- Optimal conduit size for extracardiac Fontan operationV Alexi-Meskishvili
Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, German Heart Institute Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 18:690-5. 2000..Lack of conduit growth potential and thrombogenicity are the main drawbacks of the extracardiac Fontan operation (ECFO). Optimal size of the conduit according to the patients age and inferior vena cava diameter has not been established...
- [Effects of Batroxobin on distal anastomotic intimal hyperplasia after expanded polytetrafluoroethylene bypass grafting in dog common carotid artery]Ye Ye Chen
Department of Vascular Surgery, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Science and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100730, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 89:48-53. 2009..And to identify the effects of Batroxobin (BX) on distal anastomotic intimal hyperplasia...
- Decellularized, xenogeneic small-diameter arteries: transition from a muscular to an elastic phenotype in vivoHelga Bergmeister
Division of Biomedical Research, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 87:95-104. 2008..After 6 months elastin biosynthesis and complete graft remodeling toward an elastic vessel was evident. These results indicate that temporary inflammation does not interfere with long-term vascular remodeling...
- A critical role for macrophages in neovessel formation and the development of stenosis in tissue-engineered vascular graftsNarutoshi Hibino
Interdepartmental Program in Vascular Biology and Therapeutics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
FASEB J 25:4253-63. 2011..These findings suggest that macrophage infiltration is critical for neovessel formation and provides a strategy for predicting, detecting, and inhibiting stenosis in TEVGs...
- Stent expansion: a combination of delivery balloon underexpansion and acute stent recoil reduces predicted stent diameter irrespective of reference vessel sizeShahid Aziz
Department of Cardiology, Royal Blackburn Hospital, Haslingden Road, Blackburn, Lancashire BB2 3HH, UK
Heart 93:1562-6. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate the magnitude by which stent delivery balloon underexpansion and stent elastic recoil contributed to suboptimal final vessel geometry...
- [Assessment of the mechanical properties and biocompatibility of a new electrospun polyurethane vascular prosthesis]Wei He
Department of Vascular Surgery, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 31:2006-11. 2011..To develop a small-caliber vascular grafts and study its morphologies, mechanical properties and biocompatibility...
- A novel strategy to engineer small-diameter vascular grafts from marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cellsJie Zhao
Key Lab of Resource Biology and Biotechnology in Western China, Ministry of Education, Northwest University, Xi an, China
Artif Organs 36:93-101. 2012..These results indicated that a completely biological TEVG could be assembled with autologous MSCs. These TEVGs are useful for revascularization in humans, which would reduce the occurrence of complications caused by foreign materials...
- Endovascular management of traumatic ruptures of the thoracic aorta: a retrospective multicenter analysis of 28 cases in The NetherlandsLiselot L Hoornweg
Department of Vascular Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Vasc Surg 43:1096-102; discussion 1102. 2006..We report the experience in The Netherlands with endovascular management of patients with acute traumatic ruptures of the thoracic aorta...
- Measuring the Efficacy of Endovascular Treatment of AAAPeter Faries; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Antiproliferative Rx for venous neointimal hyperplasiaPrabir Roy Chaudhury; Fiscal Year: 2005..We believe that the results from this study could transform the clinical care of hemodialysis patients and at the same time result in the successful clinical application of local therapy for the treatment of neointimal hyperplasia...
- ROLE OF LAMININ-5 IN IMPLANT ASSOCIATED ANGIOGENESISStuart Williams; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results from all these specific aims will provide an integrated evaluation of the role laminin 5 and the integrin alpha6beta4 in biomaterial associated angiogenesis. ..
- Transportable Chlorine Dioxide Sterilization SystemStuart Williams; Fiscal Year: 2004..Following completion of these studies Phase II funding will be sought to optimize and commercialize a transportable sterilization unit. ..
- Homocysteine/Hypertension & Vascular Lesion FormationPeter Lin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Bioengineering of a Stent-Graft for Gene TherapyHong Yu; Fiscal Year: 2005..The host immune response to the transgene product canine F.IX will also be examined. The outcome of the project will have direct applications in the treatment of hemophilia as well as other blood and vascular disorders. ..
- GENETIC ENGINEERING OF A FAILURE RESISTANT VEIN GRAFTMichael Conte; Fiscal Year: 2003..The long term objective is to develop a safe, efficient, and effective protocol for intraoperative gene therapy that will engineer vein bypass grafts that are resistant to occlusion. ..
- Conference Support: The 13th International Drug Delivery SymposiumDavid Grainger; Fiscal Year: 2007..Support is requested both for selected speaker participation costs and 3 junior scientist poster travel awards. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- World Workshop in Oral Medicine IVPeter Lockhart; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proceedings will be published as evidence-based recommendations for best clinical practice in Oral Medicine as well as providing suggestions for future basic science and clinical research. ..
- Genetic and Tissue Engineering for AneurysmsDavid Kallmes; Fiscal Year: 2004..Successful implementation of this research program will advance the field of genetic and tissue engineering and will improve the care of patients harboring life-threatening cerebral aneurysms. ..
- Stented Artery Wall Stresses and RetenosisJames Moore; Fiscal Year: 2006..The long-term goal is to use this information to help develop the next generation of stents in which the role of arterial mechanics is a prime consideration. ..
- AVS Biomaterials Interface Division Technical Program SupportDavid Grainger; Fiscal Year: 2006..A number of relevant leading scientists and engineers from companies working in these technology areas are also recruited to participate using the new "Commercial Challenge" podium opportunity. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SURFACE INFLUENCES ON CELL SIGNALING AND PROLIFERATIONDavid Grainger; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- US Prostate Cancer Detection with Dutasteride PretreatmentEthan Halpern; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Endothelial Cell Regulation of Smooth Muscle PhenotypeRichard Powell; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Tissue Engineered Nanofibrous Vascular GraftSong Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..The accomplishment of this project will lead to the development of innovative technologies to engineer stem cells and nanofibrous scaffolds for the construction of small TEVGs. ..
- Molecular Comparison of Macrophage Foreign Body ResponseDavid Grainger; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Proteomic Profiling of Stem Cell DifferentiationSong Li; Fiscal Year: 2005..The successful accomplishment of the goals will have high impact on stem cell engineering, and provide a rational basis for engineering BMMSC for vascular tissue repair. ..
- SHAM-CONTROLLED TRIAL OF PERCUTANEOUS VERTEBROPLASTYDavid Kallmes; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Commercialization of a Tissue Engineered Blood VesselNICOLAS L HEUREUX; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Vascular Access in Hemodialysis PatientsMichael Allon; Fiscal Year: 2005..The applicant will assist the trainees in acquiring the conceptual skills, research experience, and motivation required to pursue a successful career in Academic Nephrology. ..
- Mechanobiology of Mesenchymal Stem CellsSong Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., using BMMSC-derived SMCs to construct tissue-engineered vascular grafts. ..
- Bacteremia from Dental Extraction vs. Oral HygienePeter Lockhart; Fiscal Year: 2004..Additionally, we will have unique and critical data for the development of both future research and evidence-based guidelines concerning antibiotic prophylaxis for individuals currently felt to be at risk for DSI. ..
- Improved Animal Modeling of Saccular AneurysmsDavid F Kallmes; Fiscal Year: 2010..This program will enhance health by preventing the catastrophic events resulting from spontaneous rupture of intracranial aneurysms. ..
- Study of design variables of the endovascular graftMADHAVAN RAGHAVAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Improvements in implant design will significantly improve post-operative quality of life for patients in the US and world-wide. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RADIATION ARTERIOPATHY IN A TRANSGENIC AV FISTULA MODELMichael Lawton; Fiscal Year: 2004..If NO and TGF-01 are involved in the radiation arteriopathy of AVMs, they might be used to enhance the efficacy of conventional stereotactic radiosurgery as part of a gene therapy for high-grade cerebral AVMs. ..
- Control and Quantitation of Pulmonary ContusionJoel Stitzel; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is made possible by combining modern instrumentation and state of the art biomechanical computer codes with basic injury research at the institution performed by clinicians. ..
- HEMODIALYSIS VASCULAR ACCESS CLINICAL TRIALS CONSORTIUMMichael Allon; Fiscal Year: 2007..The primary endpoint will be fistula thrombosis within 6 weeks, and the secondary endpoint will be the ability to use the fistula successfully for dialysis within 6 months. ..
- 2007 ASME Summer Bioengineering ConferenceJames Moore; Fiscal Year: 2007..By judicious selection of keynote speakers and workshops, we will offer students opportunities to experience emerging biomedical technologies that apply across disciplines. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Anisotropy and Nonlinearity of Cartilage MechanicsGerard Ateshian; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..