Genomes and Genes
diagnostic reagent kits
Summary: Commercially prepared reagent sets, with accessory devices, containing all of the major components and literature necessary to perform one or more designated diagnostic tests or procedures. They may be for laboratory or personal use.
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- Improved diagnostic testing and malaria treatment practices in ZambiaDavidson H Hamer
Center for International Health and Development, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Mass 02118, USA
JAMA 297:2227-31. 2007....
- Rapid diagnostic tests for malaria parasitesAnthony Moody
Department of Clinical Parasitology, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, University Collge Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Clin Microbiol Rev 15:66-78. 2002..Clinical studies allow effective comparisons between different formats, and the reality of nonmicroscopic diagnoses of malaria is considered...
- Effect of malaria rapid diagnostic tests on the management of uncomplicated malaria with artemether-lumefantrine in Kenya: a cluster randomized trialJacek Skarbinski
Malaria Branch, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3724, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:919-26. 2009..30). RDTs could potentially improve malaria case management, but we urgently need to develop more effective strategies for implementing guidelines before large scale implementation...
- A large proportion of P. falciparum isolates in the Amazon region of Peru lack pfhrp2 and pfhrp3: implications for malaria rapid diagnostic testsDionicia Gamboa
Instituto de Medicina Tropical Alexander von Humboldt Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
PLoS ONE 5:e8091. 2010..The selection of the most suitable malaria RDTs is critical to the success of the programmes...
- Update on rapid diagnostic testing for malariaClinton K Murray
Infectious Disease Service, Brooke Army Medical Center, 3851 Roger Brooke Drive, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 21:97-110. 2008..This review highlights RDTs, including challenges in assessing their performance, internationally available RDTs, their effectiveness in various health care settings, and the selection of RDTs for different health care systems...
- Test characteristics of two rapid antigen detection tests (SD FK50 and SD FK60) for the diagnosis of malaria in returned travellersMirna Van der Palen
Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences FHML, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Malar J 8:90. 2009..Two malaria rapid diagnostic tests were evaluated in a travel clinic setting: the SD FK50 Malaria Ag Plasmodium falciparum test (a two-band test) and the SD FK60 Malaria Ag P. falciparum/Pan test (a three-band test)...
- Evaluation of two new commercial tests for the diagnosis of acute dengue virus infection using NS1 antigen detection in human serumPhilippe Dussart
Centre National de Référence des Arbovirus et Virus Influenza, Région Antilles Guyane, Institut Pasteur de la Guyane, Cayenne, French Guiana
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e280. 2008....
- Field evaluation of rK39 test and direct agglutination test for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in a population with high prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus in EthiopiaRachel Ter Horst
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Humera, Ethiopia Kahsay Abera Hospital, Humera, Ethiopia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:929-34. 2009..Patients clinically suspected of having VL who show negative results on the rK39 antigen test should undergo follow-up DAT testing, especially if they are HIV positive...
- Comparison of the Digene Hybrid Capture 2 assay and Roche AMPLICOR and LINEAR ARRAY human papillomavirus (HPV) tests in detecting high-risk HPV genotypes in specimens from women with previous abnormal Pap smear resultsMatthew P Stevens
Department of Microbiology, The Royal Women s Hospital, 132 Grattan Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 45:2130-7. 2007..Both PCR-based HPV tests may be valuable in the management of care for women with underlying cervical abnormalities, in predicting treatment success, and in studying the clearance or acquisition of new infections...
- Evaluation of a commercial dengue NS1 antigen-capture ELISA for laboratory diagnosis of acute dengue virus infectionV Kumarasamy
Makmal Kesihatan Awam Kebangsaan National Public Health Laboratory, Kementerian Kesihatan, Lot 1853 Kg Melayu, 47000 Sungai Buloh, Selangor, Malaysia
J Virol Methods 140:75-9. 2007..The results indicate that the commercial dengue NS1 antigen-capture ELISA may be superior to virus isolation and RT-PCR for the laboratory diagnosis of acute dengue infection based on a single serum sample...
- Performance of commercially available enzyme immunoassays for detection of antibodies against herpes simplex virus type 2 in African populationsEddy van Dyck
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 42:2961-5. 2004..7%; specificity, 92.6%) tests. It cannot be assumed that enzyme immunoassays for the detection of HSV-2 infection that perform well in industrialized countries will perform equally well in other populations...
- Performance of influenza rapid point-of-care tests in the detection of swine lineage A(H1N1) influenza virusesAeron C Hurt
WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Influenza, 10 Wreckyn St, North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Influenza Other Respir Viruses 3:171-6. 2009..In April 2009, an A(H1N1) influenza virus of swine lineage was detected in humans in the USA, and in just over a month has infected over 10,000 people in more than 40 countries...
- Global sequence variation in the histidine-rich proteins 2 and 3 of Plasmodium falciparum: implications for the performance of malaria rapid diagnostic testsJoanne Baker
Department of Drug Resistance and Diagnostics, Australian Army Malaria Institute, Brisbane, Australia
Malar J 9:129. 2010..This is of particular concern for Plasmodium falciparum histidine-rich protein 2 (PfHRP2)-detecting RDTs since PfHRP2 has been reported to be highly variable in isolates of the Asia-Pacific region...
- Positive control wells: a potential answer to remote-area quality assurance of malaria rapid diagnostic testsC T Lon
National Center for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control, Cambodia, 372, Blv Monivong, Corner Street 322, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 99:493-8. 2005..The wells show potential to overcome an important obstacle to the wide implementation of accurate parasite-based diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Further assessment of their place in malaria management is warranted...
- Evaluation of a new recombinant K39 rapid diagnostic test for Sudanese visceral leishmaniasisKoert Ritmeijer
Medecins Sans Frontieres Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:76-80. 2006..Further diagnostic work-up of dipstick-negative patients with clinically suspected VL is important. The ease and convenience of the dipstick test will allow decentralization and improved access to care in disease-endemic areas in Sudan...
- Diagnostic accuracy of NS1 ELISA and lateral flow rapid tests for dengue sensitivity, specificity and relationship to viraemia and antibody responsesVu Ty Hang
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e360. 2009..Dengue is a public health problem in many countries. Rapid diagnosis of dengue can assist patient triage and management. Detection of the dengue viral protein, NS1, represents a new approach to dengue diagnosis...
- Rapid diagnostic tests for the home-based management of malaria, in a high-transmission areaM L Willcox
Antenna Technologies, Rue de Neuchâtel 29, 1201 Geneva, Switzerland
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 103:3-16. 2009..In older patients, use of the RDT did not reduce costs. The question remains whether either of the strategies investigated can be made affordable for the affected population...
- Evaluation of the Immunoquick+4 malaria rapid diagnostic test in a non-endemic settingD P J van Dijk
Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 29:577-83. 2010..The Immunoquick+4 showed good reproducibility and reliability for both test results and line intensities. The Immunoquick+4 performed well for the detection of P. falciparum and P. vivax...
- Genetic diversity of Plasmodium falciparum histidine-rich protein 2 (PfHRP2) and its effect on the performance of PfHRP2-based rapid diagnostic testsJoanne Baker
Department of Drug Resistance and Diagnostics, Australian Army Malaria Institute, Brisbane, Australia
J Infect Dis 192:870-7. 2005..These findings provide an alternative explanation for the variable sensitivity in field tests of malaria RDTs that is not due to the quality of the RDTs...
- Latent tuberculosis diagnosis in children by using the QuantiFERON-TB Gold In-Tube testJennifer Lighter
Department of Pediatrics, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Pediatrics 123:30-7. 2009..Although it has been shown to be sensitive and specific in adults, limited data on its performance in children are available...
- Diagnostic accuracy of two rK39 antigen-based dipsticks and the formol gel test for rapid diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in northeastern UgandaFrancois Chappuis
Travel and Migration Medicine Unit, Geneva University Hospital, Rue Micheli du Crest 24, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 43:5973-7. 2005..The two rK39 dipsticks can be used for diagnostic confirmation of VL in this region. The DUAL-IT L/M without its malaria diagnostic component (DiaMed-IT LEISH) will be adopted as first-line test for VL in Uganda...
- Genus and species-specific IgG and IgM antibodies for pulmonary tuberculosisTariq Butt
Department of Microbiology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Rawalpindi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 14:105-7. 2004..To evaluate three different enzyme immunoassays for serological diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis and to compare their diagnostic accuracy in different combinations...
- Rapid malaria diagnostic tests vs. clinical management of malaria in rural Burkina Faso: safety and effect on clinical decisions. A randomized trialZeno Bisoffi
Centre for Tropical Diseases, Sacro Cuore Hospital, Negrar Verona, Italy
Trop Med Int Health 14:491-8. 2009....
- Rapid testing for malaria in settings where microscopy is available and peripheral clinics where only presumptive treatment is available: a randomised controlled trial in GhanaEvelyn K Ansah
Dangme West District Health Directorate, Dodowa, Ghana
BMJ 340:c930. 2010....
- Evaluation of the GenoType MTBDRplus assay for rifampin and isoniazid susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains and clinical specimensDoris Hillemann
Forschungszentrum Borstel, Nationales Referenzzentrum für Mykobakterien, Parkallee 18, D 23845 Borstel, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 45:2635-40. 2007..2%) among the 41 specimens containing INH-resistant strains. Thus, the new GenoType MTBDRplus assay represents a reliable and upgraded tool for the detection of INH and RMP resistance in strains or directly from smear-positive specimens...
- An exploratory study of factors that affect the performance and usage of rapid diagnostic tests for malaria in the Limpopo Province, South AfricaDevanand Moonasar
Disease Control and Vector Biology Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Malar J 6:74. 2007..A cross sectional survey to explore factors that affect the performance and use of RDTs was conducted in the primary care facilities in South Africa...
- Evaluation of the NucliSens Basic Kit for detection of Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae in genital tract specimens using nucleic acid sequence-based amplification of 16S rRNAJ B Mahony
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 39:1429-35. 2001..gonorrhoeae and C. trachomatis, using a multiplex NASBA assay using primers for both bacteria. The NucliSens Basic Kit offers a versatile platform for the development of sensitive RNA detection assays for sexually transmitted diseases...
- Stabilization of mRNA expression in whole blood samplesLynne Rainen
PreAnalytiX CH c o Becton Dickinson, Franklin Lakes, NJ 07417, USA
Clin Chem 48:1883-90. 2002....
- Evaluation of Versant hepatitis C virus genotype assay (LiPA) 2.0Jannick Verbeeck
Laboratory of Clinical and Epidemiological Virology, Rega Institute for Medical Research, University of Leuven, Minderbroedersstraat 10, BE 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 46:1901-6. 2008..The inclusion of the core region probes in Versant HCV genotype assay (LiPA) 2.0 results in a genotyping success rate higher than that of the current Versant HCV genotype assay (LiPA) 1.0...
- Assessment of three new parasite lactate dehydrogenase (pan-pLDH) tests for diagnosis of uncomplicated malariaCarole Fogg
Epicentre, 8 rue Saint Sabin, 75011, Paris, France
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:25-31. 2008..falciparum malaria, and all pLDH tests became negative after treatment more quickly than the HRP2. Therefore the rapid test of choice for use with artemisinin-combination therapies in this area would be one of these new pLDH tests...
- Rapid immunochromatographic malarial antigen detection unreliable for detecting Plasmodium malariae and Plasmodium ovaleM P Grobusch
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Eberhard Karls University, Wilhelmstrasse 27, 72074 Tubingen, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 21:818-20. 2002..8% and 47.6% for Plasmodium malariae and between 20% and 31.3% for Plasmodium ovale, it is evident that neither test is reliable for the detection of Plasmodium ovale and Plasmodium malariae infections...
- Usefulness of whole-blood interferon-gamma assay and interferon-gamma enzyme-linked immunospot assay in the diagnosis of active pulmonary tuberculosisYoung Ae Kang
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Chest 132:959-65. 2007....
- Investigation of false positive results with an oral fluid rapid HIV-1/2 antibody testKrishna Jafa
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e185. 2007..From August 2004-June 2005, we investigated a sudden increase in false-positive results occurring in a performance study of OraQuick oral-fluid rapid HIV tests in Minnesota...
- A critical evaluation of commercial immunoassays for antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies directed against proteinase 3 and myeloperoxidase in Wegener's granulomatosis and microscopic polyangiitisE Csernok
Department of Rheumatology, University of Lübeck and Rheumaklinik Bad Bramstedt, Germany
Rheumatology (Oxford) 41:1313-7. 2002....
- Rapid diagnostic tests for malaria at sites of varying transmission intensity in UgandaHeidi Hopkins
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Infect Dis 197:510-8. 2008..In Africa, fever is often treated presumptively as malaria, resulting in misdiagnosis and the overuse of antimalarial drugs. Rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) for malaria may allow improved fever management...
- Rapid diagnostic techniques for malaria controlC Wongsrichanalai
Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, 315 6 Rajvithi Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Trends Parasitol 17:307-9. 2001..This paper discusses the potential roles of these devices, and obstacles to their use, in supporting malaria control strategies...
- Paracheck-Pf accuracy and recently treated Plasmodium falciparum infections: is there a risk of over-diagnosis?Todd D Swarthout
Medecins Sans Frontieres, London, UK
Malar J 6:58. 2007..An assessment of the accuracy of Paracheck Pf, a malaria rapid diagnostic test (RDT) detecting histidine rich protein 2 was undertaken amongst children aged 6-59 months in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo...
- Rapid molecular screening for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in a high-volume public health laboratory in South AfricaMarinus Barnard
Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics, 71 av Louis Casai, 1216 Cointrin, Switzerland
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:787-92. 2008..Conventional methods for detecting Mycobacterium tuberculosis drug resistance take weeks to months to produce results. Rapid molecular testing for drug resistance is available but has not been implemented in high-TB-burden settings...
- Clinical evaluation of anti-tuberculous glycolipid immunoglobulin G antibody assay for rapid serodiagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosisR Maekura
Toneyama National Hospital, Toneyama ity, Osaka, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 39:3603-8. 2001..6 +/- 9.4 U/ml) were significantly higher than those in the healthy group. These results indicate that this assay using anti-TBGL antibody is useful for the rapid serodiagnosis of active pulmonary tuberculosis...
- High-throughput detection of West Nile virus RNAP Y Shi
Wadsworth Center for Laboratories and Research, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York 12201, USA
J Clin Microbiol 39:1264-71. 2001..The results of the study demonstrated for the first time that the use of an automated system for the purpose of large-scale viral RNA surveillance dramatically increased the speed and efficiency of sample throughput for diagnosis...
- Challenges in routine implementation and quality control of rapid diagnostic tests for malaria--Rufiji District, TanzaniaMeredith L McMorrow
Malaria Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic Vector Borne and Enteric Diseases, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:385-90. 2008..There is an urgent need for the development of alternative quality control procedures for rapid diagnostic tests that can be performed at the facility level...
- A comparison of serum and EDTA plasma in the measurement of glutamic acid decarboxylase autoantibodies (GADA) and autoantibodies to islet antigen-2 (IA-2A) using the RSR radioimmunoassay (RIA) and enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) kitsKobra Rahmati
Unit for Diabetes and Celiac Disease, Wallenberg Laboratory, University Hospital MAS, Malmo, Sweden
Clin Lab 54:227-35. 2008..Glutamic acid decarboxylase antibodies (GADA) and tyrosine phosphatase antibodies (islet antigen-2 antibodies; IA-2A) are used in clinical practise to identify type 1 diabetes...
- Comparison of Parascreen Pan/Pf, Paracheck Pf and light microscopy for detection of malaria among febrile patients, Northwest EthiopiaTekola Endeshaw
The Carter Center, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 104:467-74. 2010..9% sensitive for P. falciparum. Parascreen thus performed adequately for both P. falciparum and P. vivax compared to expert microscopy and is more useful than Paracheck where microscopy is unavailable...
- Transfer and evaluation of an automated, low-cost real-time reverse transcription-PCR test for diagnosis and monitoring of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection in a West African resource-limited settingFrancois Rouet
Centre de Diagnostic et de Recherches sur le SIDA, Abidjan, Cote d Ivoire
J Clin Microbiol 43:2709-17. 2005..The TaqMan real-time PCR (12 dollars per test) is now routinely used to monitor HIV-1 infection in our laboratory. This technology should be further evaluated in limited-resource countries where strains other than CRF02 are prevalent...
- Rapid epidemiologic assessment of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency in malaria-endemic areas in Southeast Asia using a novel diagnostic kitA Jalloh
Department of International Health, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Showa, Nagoya, Japan
Trop Med Int Health 9:615-23. 2004..Our new, rapid screening method may be essential for the diagnosis of G6PD deficiency particularly in rural areas without electricity, and can be recommended for use in malaria control programmes...
- Use of genotype MTBDR assay for molecular detection of rifampin and isoniazid resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical strains isolated in ItalyPaolo Miotto
Emerging Bacterial Pathogens, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 44:2485-91. 2006..The MTBDR correctly identified the two cases of MDR-TB included in the panel. These results show that the MTBDR test is useful in the detection and management of tuberculosis when MDR disease is suspected...
- Comparison of an in-house PCR assay, direct fluorescence assay and the Roche AMPLICOR Chlamydia trachomatis kit for detection of C. trachomatisPoonam Sachdeva
Dr B R Ambedkar Center for Biomedical Research, University of Delhi, Delhi, India
J Med Microbiol 58:867-73. 2009..46 %, making it a cost-effective alternative for routine diagnosis of genital infection by C. trachomatis. The method should facilitate early detection leading to better prevention and treatment of genital infection in India...
- Use of a C6 ELISA test to evaluate the efficacy of a whole-cell bacterin for the prevention of naturally transmitted canine Borrelia burgdorferi infectionSteven A Levy
Durham Veterinary Hospital PC, 178 Parmelee Hill Road, Durham, CT 06422, USA
Vet Ther 3:420-4. 2002..Results of this study support the value of immunization with this whole-cell Lyme disease bacterin for dogs at risk for infection by B. burgdorferi...
- Which malaria rapid test for Madagascar? Field and laboratory evaluation of three tests and expert microscopy of samples from suspected malaria patients in MadagascarArsène Ratsimbasoa
Epidemiology Unit, and Malaria Unit Research, Institut Pasteur de Madagascar, Antananarivo, Madagascar
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:481-5. 2007..On the basis of World Health Organization recommendations, only the CareStart Malaria test and the OptiMAL-IT test had sensitivities greater than 95% for samples with parasitemias>or=100 parasites/microL...
- Evaluation of three parasite lactate dehydrogenase-based rapid diagnostic tests for the diagnosis of falciparum and vivax malariaElizabeth A Ashley
Epicentre, Paris, France
Malar J 8:241. 2009..In areas where non-falciparum malaria is common rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) capable of distinguishing malaria species reliably are needed. Such tests are often based on the detection of parasite lactate dehydrogenase (pLDH)...
- Assessment of the prozone effect in malaria rapid diagnostic testsPhilippe Gillet
Department of Clinical Sciences, Institute of Tropical Medicine ITM, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Malar J 8:271. 2009..In this study, a panel of malaria RDTs was challenged with clinical samples with P. falciparum hyperparasitaemia (> 5% infected red blood cells)...
- Evaluation of rapid diagnostic tests: malariaDavid Bell
Malaria, and other Vector borne and Parasitic Diseases, World Health Organization Regional Office for the Western Pacific, PO Box 2932, Manila, Philippines
Nat Rev Microbiol 4:S34-8. 2006
- Evaluation of the performance of CareStart Malaria Pf/Pv Combo and Paracheck Pf tests for the diagnosis of malaria in Wondo Genet, southern EthiopiaBekele Sharew
Aklilu Lemma Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, P O Box 1176, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Acta Trop 111:321-4. 2009..To evaluate the diagnostic performance of CareStart Malaria Pf/Pv Combo test relative to microscopy for the diagnosis of falciparum and vivax malaria in Ethiopia...
- Persistence of Plasmodium falciparum HRP-2 in successfully treated acute falciparum malariaM Mayxay
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, 420/6 Rajvithi Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 95:179-82. 2001..The PfHRP-2 dipstick test provides a useful indicator of recent severe malaria, but does not predict the therapeutic response...
- End-user errors in applying two malaria rapid diagnostic tests in a remote area of SudanOsama M E Seidahmed
National Malaria Control Program, Khartoum, Sudan
Trop Med Int Health 13:406-9. 2008..End-user errors were more frequent with OptiMAL IT than Core Pf tests. To improve malaria diagnosis with rapid tests, users require training and better manufacturer's instructions that take into account local conditions...
- Performance of the OptiMAL dipstick test for management of severe and complicated malaria cases in a tertiary hospital, central IndiaNeeru Singh
J Infect 48:364-5. 2004
- A comparison of two rapid field immunochromatographic tests to expert microscopy in the diagnosis of malariaDaniel Philippe Mason
University of California School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA, USA
Acta Trop 82:51-9. 2002..falciparum and non-falciparum parasites increased with parasite density. Several explanations for these results are explored. Our results raise particular concern over batch quality variations of malaria rapid diagnostic devices (MRDDs)...
- Quantitative detection of HIV-1 RNA using NucliSens EasyQ HIV-1 assayJun Yao
National AIDS Reference Laboratory, National Center for AIDS STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Xuan Wu District, Beijing 100050, PR China
J Virol Methods 129:40-6. 2005..The coefficient of variation of EasyQ ranged from 3.0 to 9.5% (3% at 4.9 log; 5.7% at 3.7 log; 9.5% at 2.7 log). The new assay is shown to be a rapid, convenient, and reliable procedure for HIV-1 RNA viral load monitoring...
- Reproducibility of QuantiFERON-TB gold in-tube assaySharon Perry
Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5407, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 15:425-32. 2008..Further studies are needed to characterize the predictive value of the test for U.S. foreign-born and other targeted screening populations...
- Use of rapid diagnostic tests for diagnosis of malaria in the UKD Chilton
Department of Clinical Parasitology, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, London, UK
J Clin Pathol 59:862-6. 2006..The introduction of rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) may be useful in achieving rapid detection of malaria parasites, especially in situations where malaria is not often seen or where staff are inexperienced...
- Evaluation of the performance of CareStart Malaria Pf/Pv Combo rapid diagnostic test for the diagnosis of malaria in Jimma, southwestern EthiopiaZeleke Mekonnen
School of Medical Lab Sciences, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Jimma University, Jimma, Ethiopia
Acta Trop 113:285-8. 2010..To evaluate the diagnostic performance of CareStart Malaria Pf/Pv Combo test relative to microscopy, for the diagnosis of falciparum and vivax malaria in Ethiopia...
- Evaluating the sensitivity of a commercial dengue NS1 antigen-capture ELISA for early diagnosis of acute dengue virus infectionV Kumarasamy
The National Public Health Laboratory, Ministry of Health, Lot 1853 Kg Melayu, Sungai Buloh 47000, Malaysia
Singapore Med J 48:669-73. 2007..The aim of this report is to establish an accurate diagnosis of acute dengue virus infection early, in order to provide timely information for the management of patients and early public health control of dengue outbreak...
- Modeling the financial and clinical implications of malaria rapid diagnostic tests in the case-management of older children and adults in KenyaDejan Zurovac
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, Centre for Geographic Medicine Research Coast, Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:884-91. 2008..In both districts, adherence to revised clinical practices with RDTs has the potential to further decrease treatment errors with acceptable costs...
- Evaluation of commercially available anti-dengue virus immunoglobulin M testsElizabeth A Hunsperger
Serology Diagnostics and Viral Pathogenesis Research Section, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Emerg Infect Dis 15:436-40. 2009..False-positive results were found for patients with malaria or past dengue infections. Three ELISAs showing strong agreement with reference ELISAs will be included in the World Health Organization Bulk Procurement Scheme...
- Validation and comparison of luminex multiplex cytokine analysis kits with ELISA: determinations of a panel of nine cytokines in clinical sample culture supernatantsNefertiti C dupont
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gynecologic Oncology Division, University of California, Orange, CA 92868, USA
J Reprod Immunol 66:175-91. 2005..Validation of this technology has been limited to small sample sets, limited use of clinical study specimens, and use of non-commercial reagents...
- Quality and quantity of saliva DNA obtained from the self-administrated oragene method--a pilot study on the cohort of Swedish menTove Rylander-Rudqvist
Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Nobels vag 13, Box 210, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1742-5. 2006..7%) was observed between saliva DNA and WGA DNA. In conclusion, Oragene saliva DNA in this study collected from men is of high quality and can be used as an alternative to blood DNA in molecular epidemiologic studies...
- Factors affecting QuickVue Influenza A + B rapid test performance in the community settingCalvin K Y Cheng
Department of Community Medicine and School of Public Health, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 65:35-41. 2009..The QuickVue Influenza A + B test has similar sensitivity in point-of-care community settings to more controlled conditions...
- Development and testing of a rapid diagnostic test for bubonic and pneumonic plagueSuzanne Chanteau
Institut Pasteur de Madagascar, WHO Collaborating Centre for Plague, Antananarivo, Madagascar
Lancet 361:211-6. 2003..Late diagnosis is one of the major causes of human death and spread of the disease, since it limits the effectiveness of control measures. We aimed to develop and assess a rapid diagnostic test (RDT) for plague...
- Recovery and use of Plasmodium DNA from malaria rapid diagnostic testsVincent Veron
Medical Parasitology and Mycology Laboratory, Research Team EA 3593, Referral Hospital and School of Medicine, University of West Indies and French Guiana, Cayenne, French Guiana
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:941-3. 2006..The PCR on MRDT-isolated DNA was more sensitive than antigen capture by MRDT. Satisfactory results were also obtained if older MRDT tests were used, even after long periods of storage at ambient temperature, with no special preservation...
- Prospective comparison of the tuberculin skin test and 2 whole-blood interferon-gamma release assays in persons with suspected tuberculosisGerald H Mazurek
Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 45:837-45. 2007..tuberculosis by culture...
- Usefulness of a rapid on-site Plasmodium falciparum diagnosis (Paracheck PF) in forest migrants and among the indigenous population at the site of their occupational activities in central IndiaNeeru Singh
Malaria Research Centre Field Station, Regional Medical Research Centre Complex, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:26-9. 2005..3%, 98.4%, and 100%, respectively, indicating the usefulness of test as a diagnostic tool for providing on-site confirmation of symptomatic diagnosis of Plasmodium falciparum malaria...
- Screening for tuberculosis infection among newly arrived asylum seekers: comparison of QuantiFERONTB Gold with tuberculin skin testBrita Askeland Winje
Division of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, 0403 Oslo, Norway
BMC Infect Dis 8:65. 2008..The aim of this study was to compare results of QFT and tuberculin skin test (TST) among newly arrived asylum seekers in Norway and to assess the role of QFT in routine diagnostic screening for latent tuberculosis infection...
- Short communication: An assessment of the use of malaria rapid tests by village health volunteers in rural LaosMayfong Mayxay
Faculty of Medical Science, National University of Laos, Vientiane, Lao People s Democratic Republic
Trop Med Int Health 9:325-9. 2004..2). Previously untrained Lao VHVs performed malaria rapid tests reliably with high sensitivity and specificity after minimal training...
- Role of interferon gamma release assay in active TB diagnosis among HIV infected individualsBasirudeen Syed Ahamed Kabeer
Department of Immunology, Tuberculosis Research Centre ICMR, Tamil Nadu, India
PLoS ONE 4:e5718. 2009..In this study, we assessed the sensitivity of Interferon gamma release assay (IGRA) in active tuberculosis patients who were positive for HIV infection and compared it with that of tuberculin skin test (TST)...
- Paracheck Pf compared with microscopy for diagnosis of Plasmodium falciparum malaria among children in Tanga City, north-eastern TanzaniaM L Kamugisha
National Institute for Medical Research, Tanga Medical Research Centre, P O Box 5004, Tanga, Tanzania
Tanzan J Health Res 10:14-9. 2008..The prevalence of anaemia among the children was 53.16%. These findings indicate a low prevalence of malaria in Tanga City and that Paracheck Pf can be an effective tool for malaria diagnosis...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of rapid diagnostic test, microscopy and syndromic approach in the diagnosis of malaria in Nigeria: implications for scaling-up deployment of ACTBenjamin S C Uzochukwu
Department of Community Medicine, University of Nigeria, Nigeria
Malar J 8:265. 2009..The study hence compares the cost-effectiveness of RDT versus syndromic diagnosis and microscopy...
- The diagnosis of Plasmodium falciparum infection in Gambian children, by field staff using the rapid, manual, ParaSight-F testK A Bojang
Medical Research Council Laboratories, Fajara, Banjul
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 93:685-7. 1999..5%, a negative predictive value of 94.2% and a positive predictive value of 94.3%. Because of its sensitivity, specificity and simplicity, the ParaSight-F test will be of value in situations where microscopy is not possible...
- Evaluation of the Abbott RealTime HBV DNA assay and comparison to the Cobas AmpliPrep/Cobas TaqMan 48 assay in monitoring patients with chronic cases of hepatitis BMarco Ciotti
Laboratory of Clinical Microbiology and Virology, University Hospital Tor Vergata, Viale Oxford, 81 00133 Rome, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 46:1517-9. 2008..By coupling high sensitivity with a large dynamic range, the Abbott RealTime HBV assay is useful in monitoring the response to antiviral therapy...
- Performance and use of HSV type-specific serology test kitsRhoda L Ashley
Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Herpes 9:38-45. 2002..This review summarizes the performance data of these tests and describes how to interpret their results. Finally, situations that warrant follow-up testing are described along with suggested strategies for such testing...
- Accuracy of a multispecies rapid diagnostic test kit for detection of malarial parasite at the point of care in a low endemicity regionM Meena
Department of Medicine, Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sevagram, Maharashtra 442102, India
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:1237-44. 2009..4%, respectively. The diagnostic accuracy estimates for correct species identification were lower (sensitivity 91.8%, specificity 96.8%). The accuracy of the PvLDH test to detect P. vivax was low (sensitivity 76.6%, specificity 98.1%)...
- A review of nucleic acid-based diagnostic tests for systemic mycoses with an emphasis on polymerase chain reaction-based assaysSharon C A Chen
Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, University of Sydney, Westmead Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Med Mycol 40:333-57. 2002..The wide application of PCR-based assays relies on the introduction of standardized protocols following their evaluation in multicentre, prospective studies...
- Evaluation of the Palutop+4 malaria rapid diagnostic test in a non-endemic settingDavid P J van Dijk
Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences FHML, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Malar J 8:293. 2009....
- Rapid malaria tests: where do we go after 20 years?Michael T Makler
Flow Inc, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 81:921-6. 2009..We propose that the study and implementation of such RDTs should be aggressively advanced and propose a series of questions that can guide efforts...
- Rapid antigen tests for diagnosis of pandemic (Swine) influenza A/H1N1Shawn Vasoo
Department of Medicine, Rush University Medicial Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:1090-3. 2009..3%; and QuickVue Influenza A+B Test (Quidel), 53.3%. A patient with influenza-like illness who has a negative rapid antigen test result should undergo further testing using reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction...
- Assessment of two malaria rapid diagnostic tests in children under five years of age, with follow-up of false-positive pLDH test results, in a hyperendemic falciparum malaria area, Sierra LeoneSibylle Gerstl
Médecins Sans Frontières MSF UK, 67 74 Saffron Hill, London EC 1N 8QX, UK
Malar J 9:28. 2010....
- Validation and comparison of two multiplex technologies, Luminex and Mesoscale Discovery, for human cytokine profilingFerdousi Chowdhury
Cancer Sciences Division, CRUK Clinical Centre, Somers Cancer Research Building, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Road, Southampton, SO16 6YD, England, United Kingdom
J Immunol Methods 340:55-64. 2009....
- Comparison of seven commercial DNA extraction kits for the recovery of Brucella DNA from spiked human serum samples using real-time PCRM I Queipo-Ortuño
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Universidad de Malaga, Campus de Teatinos s n, 29071 Malaga, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:109-14. 2008..Our results show that the UltraClean DNA Blood Spin Kit was the commercially available assay tested that yielded the best sensitivity, purity, and lack of contamination for Brucella DNA isolation from serum...
- Clinical evaluation of the T-SPOT.TB test for patients with indeterminate results on the QuantiFERON TB-2G testYoshihiro Kobashi
Division of Respiratory Diseases, Department of Medicine, Kawasaki Medical School, Kurashiki, Japan
Intern Med 48:137-42. 2009..To evaluate the clinical utility of the T-SPOT.TB test for patients with indeterminate results on the QFT-2G test...
- Assessment of the target-capture PCR hepatitis B virus (HBV) DNA quantitative assay and comparison with commercial HBV DNA quantitative assaysVenkatakrishna Shyamala
Blood Testing Division, Chiron Corporation, Emeryville, CA 94608, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:5199-204. 2004..The target-capture PCR assay is a sensitive, accurate, high-throughput, rapid, and reproducible assay for the determination of HBV loads...
- Evaluation of rapid immunocapture assays for diagnosis of Plasmodium vivax in KoreaD Cho
Department of Clinical Pathology, Capital Armed Forces General Hospital, Sungnam City, Kyunggi Province, Republic of Korea
Parasitol Res 87:445-8. 2001..vivax in Korea...
- A novel and innovative quantitative kinetic software for virological colorimetric assaysM Giacomini
Molecular Virology Unit, Advanced Biotechnology Center, Genova, Italy
J Virol Methods 73:201-9. 1998..The necessity for a wide quantification range has been demonstrated by measuring clinical samples, which showed a distribution in all possible quantification ranges for all kits...
- Malaria rapid diagnostic devices: performance characteristics of the ParaSight F device determined in a multisite field studyJ R Forney
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Washington, D C, USA
J Clin Microbiol 39:2884-90. 2001..of asexual parasites per microliter of whole blood), sensitivities were 83% (>0 to 500 parasites/microl), 87% (501 to 1,000/microl), 98% (1,001 to 5,000/microl), and 98% (>5,000/microl). Device specificity was 86%...
- Hepatitis C virus genotyping: interrogation of the 5' untranslated region cannot accurately distinguish genotypes 1a and 1bZhenyu Chen
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:3127-34. 2002..In conclusion, the 5' UTR is not heterogeneous enough for use in determination of the HCV subtype and cannot be used for differentiation of HCV genotypes 1a and 1b...
- Making malaria testing relevant: beyond test purchaseDavid Bell
Malaria, other Vector borne and Parasitic Diseases, World Health Organization, Regional Office for the Western Pacific, UN Avenue, Ermita, P O Box 2932, Manila, The Philippines
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:1064-6. 2008..If this is to occur, a re-think is required of the way many malaria programmes are funded and run...
- Evaluation of diagnostic tests for influenza in a pediatric practiceWilliam J Rodriguez
Food and Drug Administration Center for Evaluation and Research Office of Review Management, Rockville, MD, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:193-6. 2002..For proven benefit antivirals should be used within 2 days of onset of symptoms...
- Negative rapid HIV antibody testing during early HIV infectionJoanne Stekler
Ann Intern Med 147:147-8. 2007
- Quantitative and cost comparison of ultrasensitive human immunodeficiency virus type 1 RNA viral load assays: Bayer bDNA quantiplex versions 3.0 and 2.0 and Roche PCR Amplicor monitor version 1.5T Elbeik
Departments of Laboratory Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Clin Microbiol 38:1113-20. 2000..5 assay. Moreover, cost analysis based on labor, disposables, and biohazardous wastes showed significant savings with the bDNA 3.0 assay as compared to the costs of the Amplicor 1.5 assay...
- Field and laboratory comparative evaluation of ten rapid malaria diagnostic testsM H Craig
Malaria Research Programme, Medical Research Council, 491 Ridge Road, P O Box 70380, Overport 4067, Durban, South Africa
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 96:258-65. 2002..The tests were further compared with regard to general specificity, particularly cross-reactivity with rheumatoid factor, speed, simplicity, their ability to detect other species, storage requirements and general presentation...
- Comparison of HRP2- and pLDH-based rapid diagnostic tests for malaria with longitudinal follow-up in Kampala, UgandaHeidi Hopkins
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:1092-7. 2007..RDTs may provide an effective strategy for improving rational delivery of antimalarial therapy; in Kampala, either test could dramatically decrease inappropriate presumptive treatments...
- Utility of interferon-gamma ELISPOT assay responses in highly tuberculosis-exposed patients with advanced HIV infection in South AfricaStephen D Lawn
The Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, South Africa
BMC Infect Dis 7:99. 2007..We studied determinants of ELISPOT responses among patients with advanced HIV infection (but without active TB) living in a South African community with very high TB notification rates...
- Evaluation of QuickVue influenza A+B rapid test for detection of pandemic influenza A/H1N1 2009John Mark S Velasco
Department of Virology, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, 315 6 Rajvithi Road, Bangkok, 10400 Thailand
J Clin Virol 48:120-2. 2010..In the Philippines, pandemic influenza A/H1N1 2009 was first detected in May 2009 and by July 2009, 3207 cases and 6 deaths were reported...
- Species-specific diagnosis of human malariaMichael Makler; Fiscal Year: 2003..The work described here will allow the development of a new test prototype that embodies these needed improvements. ..
- Effectiveness of Asthma Care: The Asthma Policy ModelA Paltiel; Fiscal Year: 2004..Cloutier), biostatistical analysis (Dr. Kuntz), and simulation modeling and economic evaluation (Dr. Paltiel) to explore cost-effective solutions to the asthma epidemic. ..
- Cardiac Troponin Testing for Myocardial InfarctionFred Apple; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Simple Test for Identifying Recent HIV InfectionNiel Constantine; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Treatment Models for Primary and Chronic HIV InfectionRochelle Walensky; Fiscal Year: 2005..Rochelle Walensky with a firm basis for career development as an independent, patient-oriented clinical researcher at the interface of these critical areas. ..
- Drug Resistance in Non-Subtype B HIV-1Susan Eshleman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Utility of rapid diagnostic tests for malariaHeidi Hopkins; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Optimizing strategies for universal HIV testingRochelle P Walensky; Fiscal Year: 2010..The scientific basis for early detection of HIV infection and aggressive linkage to care has been successfully laid. The challenge now is to identify effective, affordable, and cost-effective implementation mechanisms. ..
- NICHD Institutional Training for PediatriciansKathryn Edwards; Fiscal Year: 2007..3.) Evaluate the success of the training program through both process and outcomes evaluation. (4.) Implement continuous quality improvement procedures that will enhance the PPOR components, curriculum, and overall program. ..
- Optimal Strategies for PID Prevention and ManagementKenneth Smith; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Gabapentin as an Adjunct to Naltrexone for AlcoholismRaymond Anton; Fiscal Year: 2006..This evaluation of a novel treatment will allow us to better understand combined pharmacotherapy and develop a new paradigm for medications development for alcoholism. ..
- The effect of mixed Plasmodium infections on morbidityIvo Mueller; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Persistent Reservoirs of HIV-1 InfectionDANIEL FIERER; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will also provide me with the opportunity to develop the required skills to reach my long-term goal: a career as an independent investigator and academician performing patient-oriented translational research...
- West Nile Virus Life Cycle in Flavivirus-Resistant CellsPei Yong Shi; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- RESEARCH EXPERIENCE FOR VETERINARY MEDICAL STUDENTSCharles Courtney; Fiscal Year: 2006..The UF will provide one additional year of stipend support, with a full year of research support provided by this training grant. If necessary, additional years of support will be provided by the mentor. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Food Safety Task Force ConferenceTimothy Jones; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abstract Not Provided ..
- HPTN - CENTRAL LABORATORYJAY JACKSON; Fiscal Year: 2005..To optimize the amount of scientific expertise and lab capabilities needed, the HPTN CL will be based on a hub and spoke concept involving JHU, University of Pittsburgh, and the California Public Health Dept (VRDL). ..
- Measuring Quality - The Impact of Patient ComplexityRobert Centor; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, we hope to present an economical research agenda to the research community and AHRQ at the national meeting. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HIV-1 THERAPEUTICS AND DRUG RESISTANCEDaniel R Kuritzkes; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research program provides a framework within which the applicant can mentor beginning clinical investigators in patient-oriented research focused on critical issues in HIV-1 medicine. ..
- Cd1d regulation and its effect on NKT cell activationSamuel M Behar; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Immune Dysregulation in HITGowthami M Arepally; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is expected that these studies will lead to insights into strategies that prevent or modulate immune complications from this life-threatening thrombotic disorder. ..
- Antigen-specific CD8+ T cells and protective immunity to tuberculosisSamuel M Behar; Fiscal Year: 2010..tuberculosis-specific immune response will also be determined. This proposal will directly assess how CFP10-specific CD8+ T cells contribute to host defense and how their function is modulated by immunity and disease. ..
- Vasculitis Clinical Research Network (VCRN)Peter Merkel; Fiscal Year: 2008..AIM 5. Build and contribute to an electronic website resource with substantive content for clinicians, researchers, and patients. ..
- Designing Spider Silk Proteins as Novel BiomaterialsRandolph Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2009..Possible applications of spider silk range from artificial ligaments and tendons to bandages for burns to composite materials for multiple applications. ..
- Immunoepidemiology of Concomittant InfectionSharon Perry; Fiscal Year: 2008..S. foreign born and the developing world. ..
- Clinical Research for Rare Diseases: Opportunities, Challenges, and SolutionsPeter Merkel; Fiscal Year: 2007..If this conference proves successful, we plan on having similar sessions attached to future RDCRC meetings. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Burden of Malaria in Pregnancy in IndiaDavidson Hamer; Fiscal Year: 2007..The information generated by the study will also be instrumental in the development of new programs for preventing and mitigating the impact of MIP in India. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- JHU-MCAIDS HPTN TRIAL SITE-CHINAJAY JACKSON; Fiscal Year: 2006..However, the JHU-NCAIDS collaboration does have expertise in the areas of vaccines and behavioral interventions and could potentially employ these interventions in IDUs or expand to other populations as the epidemic grows. ..
- Topical Antibiotics to Prevent Lyme DiseaseGary Wormser; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel Molecular Profiling of Prostate Cancer SignaturesShao Yao Ying; Fiscal Year: 2006..These results may pave the way for a precise gene-chip diagnosis of stage-specific markers of human prostate cancer. ..
- Fitness of Enfuvirtide-(T-20)-Resistant HIV-1Daniel Kuritzkes; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results of these studies will provide a deeper understanding of the molecular, virologic, and clinical consequences ofT-20 resistance, and may help guide the use of T-20 in salvage therapy. ..
- Cryptococcus gatti mating 1oci; mapping and gene studyVishnu Chaturvedi; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- DECIPHERING THE FUNCTION OF THE RH BLOOD GROUP PROTEINSConnie Westhoff; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will lead, not only to an understanding of Rh function, but also to an explanation of the clinical effects that occur when this function is disrupted. ..
- HIV-1 resistance to nucleoside analoguesDaniel Kuritzkes; Fiscal Year: 2004..Better understanding of the virologic, genetic, and biochemical aspects of AZT/3TC dual resistance will help direct therapy and may lead to better therapeutic strategies in the future. ..
- PATHOGENESIS OF THROMBOSIS IN HITGowthami Arepally; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is expected that these proposed studies will contribute to a fundamental understanding of pathogenetic mechanisms for thrombosis in HITT, and lead to future investigations addressing therapeutic interventions in HITT. ..
- Tonsil Model of Oral HIV-1 Infection via BreastfeedingDiane Shugars; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Urinary Symptoms in Adolescent Females: STI or UTI?Jill Huppert; Fiscal Year: 2004..The findings of this study will strengthen the evidence base for symptom-based STI testing of SA adolescent females and will promote care that addresses both individual patient and public health needs. ..
- Safer and More Efficacious Recombinant AIDS VaccinesTilahun Yilma; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- INH resistance in Beijing/W isolates of M. tuberculosisThomas Victor; Fiscal Year: 2004..It will also allow comparative analysis to other local outbreak drug resistant strains and will help unravel the mechanisms that lead to the development and spread of drug resistance in local communities. ..
- HIV-IG FOR PREVENTION OF VERTICAL TRANSMISSIONJAY JACKSON; Fiscal Year: 2003..2. Evaluate the differences in clinical progression to AIDS, the decline in CD4 counts, and survival at 2.5 years in the HIV-1 infected infants who received HIVIG or IVIG. ..
- INDUCTION OF MUCOSAL IMMUNITY WITH RECOMBINANT VACCINESTilahun Yilma; Fiscal Year: 2002..Since the mucosal route is the most common route of transmission of HIV, these animals will be challenged intravaginally to evaluate the efficacy of the vaccines. ..
- Xth Int'l Symposium on Human Chlamydial InfectionJulius Schachter; Fiscal Year: 2002..It is thus propitious and can be expected to uniquely provide the impetus for setting the research agenda on the chlamydiae for the new millennium. ..
- Organizational Factors in the Early Detection of HIVOscar Grusky; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Azithromycin in Control of Trachoma IIJulius Schachter; Fiscal Year: 2005..In sum, this study should provide a rational approach to use of community-wide azithromycin treatment to eliminate blinding trachoma as a public health problem. ..
- Risks for HIV and STIs among Moscow Sex WorkersChris Beyrer; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Prevention/diagnosis/fungal infections/transplantationBarbara Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2005..This approach will shorten the time from development to clinical implementation in therapeutic trials and guidelines. ..
- A Safer and More Efficacious Smallpox VaccineTilahun Yilma; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Primary Care Colorectal Ca Screening Surveillance SystemRichard Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Studies in Scleroderma and Cystic Fibrosis OsteoporosisPeter Merkel; Fiscal Year: 2005..A unique seminar and a series of support services at the host institution will further complement the training program. ..
- OSTEOCALCIN SYNTHESIS AND CATABOLISMCaren Gundberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..Osteoclast and/or osteoblast progenitors will be evaluated in bone marrow cells. ..
- HCV Treatment Cost-Effectiveness in 3 IDU PopulationsBRUCE SCHACKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Creating Digital Partnerships for HealthAlwyn Cohall; Fiscal Year: 2008..Additionally, Digital Partners will assist the HHPC and its community advisory board in developing, implementing, evaluating and disseminating research findings. ..
- Colorectal Cancer Screening: Fecal Blood vs DNADavid Ahlquist; Fiscal Year: 2004..If the DNA-based test proves to have greater screening accuracy than fecal blood testing, this could translate into more effective cancer control and more efficient use of our limited health care resources. ..
- Antigenic Variation and Drug Resistance In P. falciparumQin Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2006..The project has the potential to benefit the health of a substantial proportion of the world's population. ..
- Evaluating the Link between HIV Prevention and TreatmentA David Paltiel; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- TREATMENT OF TUBERCULOSIS WITH IMMUNOMODULATORSSamuel Behar; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- role of adipokines in colon epithelial cell homeostasisJENIFER FENTON; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ROLE OF THE ALPHAE INTEGRIN IN IMMUNITY TO TUBERCULOSISSamuel Behar; Fiscal Year: 2004..tuberculosis is altered in alphaE deficient mice; and 3) Investigate potential mechanisms by which alphaEbeta7 may affect susceptibility to tuberculosis. ..
- TREATMENT OF TUBERCULOSIS WITH IMMUNOMODULATORSSamuel Behar; Fiscal Year: 2003..We believe that this series of experiments will lay the foundation for the development of a-galactosylceramide as an adjunct therapy for tuberculosis, a treatment that ultimately may be relevant to other infectious diseases as well. ..
- IMMUNOLOGICAL BASIS OF SUSCEPTIBILITY TO TUBERCULOSISSamuel Behar; Fiscal Year: 2003..Aim 4. Characterize the immune response to tuberculosis in mouse models that simulate the abnormalities of cell mediated immunity typical of HIV/AIDS patients. ..